Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #6-10 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 6, Number 10 Sunday, 10 May 1998 Today's Topics: Re: pretty NON-TMBG: Re: Photos of Listees (a plead for) NON-TMBG: TMBG-Probability.... Re: NON-TMBG: TMBG-Probability.... Non TMBG: Pictures of Listees Non TMBG: Live show behavior in the US Re: TMBG: Misc. T part 2... Re: TMBG: Misc. T part 2... Re: TMBG: Misc. T part 2... TMBG:New John pics Re: TMBG: Photos of Listees (a plead for) TMBG: one last people update... TMBG: fans looke like Linnell but how about fans/ Paricle man wa NON-TMBG: Sporks (WARNING! ANOTHER PUN AHEAD!) TMBG: RE: Misc. T part 2... Re: TMBG: linnellian and flansburghish people... Re: TMBG: Misc. T part 2... Re: Nonish-TMBG: Linnell & Flansie look-alikes.. Re: TMBG: one last people update... TMBG: Re:Linnell types TMBG: Vote is final - Linnell got #9 TMBG: 6 new MP3s on my site Re: TMBG: Misc. T part 2... The other halves (Re: TMBG: lots of kinda semi-TMBG stuff...) TMBG: "It's Fun To Steal" released (in Canada, at least) Re: TMBG: "It's Fun To Steal" released (in Canada, at least) Re: TMBG: Misc. T part 2... Re: TMBG: "It's Fun To Steal" released (in Canada, at least) Re: TMBG: "It's Fun To Steal" released (in Canada, at least) Re: TMBG: "It's Fun To Steal" released (in Canada, at Re: TMBG: Misc. T part 2... Re: TMBG: "It's Fun To Steal" released : Track listing? Re: TMBG: fans looke like Linnell but how about fans/ Paricle man wa Re: TMBG: "It's Fun To Steal" released : Track listing? TMBG: one last people update... -Reply Re: TMBG: TMBG-Fwd: hey there Re: TMBG: TMBG-Fwd: hey there TMBG: Nice Try! Re: TMBG: Nice Try! Re: TMBG: Nice Try! TMBG: another TMBG dream... TMBG: Linnell, let's do it again! Re: TMBG: Linnell, let's do it again! Re: TMBG: Linnell, let's do it again! Re: TMBG: Linnell, let's do it again! Re: TMBG: Linnell, let's do it again! Re: TMBG: Linnell, let's do it again! TMBG: She Was a Hotel Detective... TMBG: Istanbul (not Constantinople) Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Kaylum Message-ID: Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 12:55:13 EDT Subject: Re: pretty NON-TMBG: Re: Photos of Listees (a plead for) I have no problem with sharing pictures--I think it humanizes cyberspace somewhat when we can see the person behind the screen name. And, as someone else said, no one has to submit their pic or look at anyone else's if they don't wanna. Anyhow, mine's at: http://members.aol.com/kaylum/kim.jpg Kay, wishing her web browser worked *sigh* ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot Message-ID: <4ffaba25.355340a9@aol.com> Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 13:28:08 EDT Subject: NON-TMBG: TMBG-Probability.... >>The probability of, in a group of about 23 people, two people sharing a >>birthday is over 50%. This doesn't seem right...does someone have the math to back this up? If John has a birthday of June 12th, & there are 365, what is the probability of us NOT having the same birthday? jason "who's birthday is 8 days away from Linnell's" glastetter ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3553452B.10F25D8A@mail.utexas.edu> Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 12:47:23 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Organization: University of Texas at Austin Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: TMBG-Probability.... Happyfroot wrote: > >>The probability of, in a group of about 23 people, two people sharing a > >>birthday is over 50%. > This doesn't seem right...does someone have the math to back this up? It is supposed to be counter-intuitive. Understand, this is the probably of any two people sharing a birthday in the group, not the probabiliy that, say, someone else has Bob's birthday. I can go through the math if you like. Here is another popular Probability problem that is quite counter-intuitive: Remember the game show Let's Make a Deal? Well, on it there were 3 doors. Behind one of them was a good prize, like a car. Behind the other two were crazy prizes, like goats. The host knows what is behind every door, but the contestant doesn't. The host asks the contestent to select a door. Let's say the contestant chooses door #3. The host knows, since there is only 1 prize, that door #1, door #2, or both, have goats behind them. So the host opens, say, door #1 and reveals that there is a goat behind it. No other doors have been opened. Now the host offers the contestant the chance to either stick with door #3, or to switch to door #2. We know that behind one of those two doors is the real prize, and behind the other is a goat.The question is this: Which is it better for the contestant to do? In other words, which choice will give the contestant a better chance of winning the real prize? This is known as the Monty Hall problem. > If John has a birthday of June 12th, & there are 365, what is the probability > of us NOT having the same birthday? The probability that given, 365 people, none of them share Linnell's b-day? I'll get back to you -- I have to run to class. Mitch http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~mitcharf/ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19980508192246.00834dc0@mail-in.keme.net> Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 19:22:46 +0100 From: Squidgy Colin Subject: Non TMBG: Pictures of Listees Hey, i have done a rough page for now and it isn't as full as i'd like. Those who have submitted and arn't there, can you remind me of the URL or whatever because I have probably lost track of you somehow. Keep the self-pics rollin' guys! --C.O.L.I.N. (Consiting Of Little Indigo Novelties) ~THE ELLESLEYS~ (of Colchester-Essex-UK) Home Page: Http://www.keme.co.uk/~thelimes/ TMBG page: Http://members.xoom.com/uncle_squid/Xoom/ Last LPs bought: Vinyl- "8 Legged Groove Machine" by The Wonderstuff CD - "I Blame The Government" by carter the unstoppable sex machine Last single bought: CD - "The Impression That I Get" by The Mighty Mighty BossTones ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19980508193622.00840e80@mail-in.keme.net> Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 19:36:22 +0100 From: Squidgy Colin Subject: Non TMBG: Live show behavior in the US I saw a live recording of a Radio Head concert on MTV the other night (I do not like Radio Head but my mate made me watch it while we wated for SouthPark on the other channel). Anyway, we were like, what the fuck?! The crowd were just standing about like a bunch of zombies. The only movemnet came from thier hands and to be quite frank, they looked ridiculous. Is this normal behavior at gigs in the US? --C.O.L.I.N. (Continues Other Lives Intending Noise) ~THE ELLESLEYS~ (of Colchester-Essex-UK) Home Page: Http://www.keme.co.uk/~thelimes/ TMBG page: Http://members.xoom.com/uncle_squid/Xoom/ Last LPs bought: Vinyl- "8 Legged Groove Machine" by The Wonderstuff CD - "I Blame The Government" by carter the unstoppable sex machine Last single bought: CD - "The Impression That I Get" by The Mighty Mighty BossTones ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980508151115.00a96840@mail.csrlink.net> Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 15:11:15 -0400 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: Re: TMBG: Misc. T part 2... At 09:03 AM 5/8/98 -0500, you wrote: >checkers wrote: >> >> > Maybe they could even put out a Christmas album, with O Tannenbaum and >> >Christmas Card, and We just go nuts....oh dear, I seem to have gotten >> myself on >> >a tangent.....grrrr..... >> >> and maybe careless santa.... =) > Well sure, but don't forget Careless Santa. Dylan "The first time this went happened, it had about ten little >s before it died, and Mike Leffel wasn't even involved." Flipse Dylan Flipse...one of them. - dflipse@csrlink.net Dylan's page is at http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ for now. I'll never see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed -They Might Be Giants, the coolest thing this side of Zaphod Beeblebrox. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35538686.91C323E9@geocities.com> Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 15:26:16 -0700 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: TMBG: Misc. T part 2... Adam Tyner wrote: > There was a lot of discussion about this a year or 2 ago... You might want > to look through the list archives at tmbg.org... > > I remember that it was being put off indefinitely...I also seem to remember > that both TMBG and Elektra thought it's a little too inaccessible for most > people. Well, of course it's inaccessible, if it hasn't even been released! Seriously, though, that might be true, but TMBG and Electra will probably make at least some money from releasing the album, but they're not going to get anything by not releasing it, except new fans who weren't around when the EP's were in print PO'ed at them. Oh, well. -- Nathan Mulac DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org or vovat@geocities.com http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "All I know could be defaced by the facts in the life of Chess Piece Face." ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980508155314.0069cef4@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 15:53:14 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Misc. T part 2... Yeah, but their point was that it would only appeal to the most-hardcore of fans, and once you add in distribution, marketing, printing all this stuff, etc.... -Adam At 03:26 PM 5/8/98 -0700, Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > >Well, of course it's inaccessible, if it hasn't even been released! > >Seriously, though, that might be true, but TMBG and Electra will probably make >at least some money from releasing the album, but they're not going to get >anything by not releasing it, except new fans who weren't around when the EP's >were in print PO'ed at them. Oh, well. /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 16:37:45 -0400 Subject: TMBG:New John pics Message-ID: <19980508.164527.6926.2.gray42@juno.com> Hey Ery'body, At school I scanned 2 drawings I did of the Johns, both Flansie and Linnell. at the moment they aren't connected to the main webpage but I think you can still look at them. For Linnell goto: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871/johnl.gif and for Flansburgh goto: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871/johnf.gif I hope you enjoy them, Flans has got his crazy guitar, and Linnell has an accordian, I'd personally like to make em' into T-Shirts, hehe Mysterio Gal (fellow Subgenius & Happy Mutant) " If there were no doorknobs nobody would be abel to open the doors. Everybody would die" --Claire (age 6) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Message-ID: <35537591.AC88D2C7@pop3.concentric.net> Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 16:13:53 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Photos of Listees (a plead for) rachel wrote: > those (4) who have submitted their photos... good on ya, you're all > > beautiful. To the hundreds who havn't but have still said what a great idea > > the page is... it'll only be great if you submit something picture wise! To > > all hose without scanners/access to scanners, there is nothing that can't > > be done! Actually, if someone will scan a photo of me, I'll send you a copy.Anastasia ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 15:25:47 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: one last people update... Message-ID: the poll's closed now, while they tally up the votes, but the last update shown on the latest results page was as follows: 1.Hank the Angry, Drunken Dwarf, 230169 votes 2.Ric Flair, 20145 votes 3.Leonardo DiCaprio, 14471 votes 4.Gillian Anderson, 7057 votes 5.Kate Winslet, 5941 6.Michelle Kwan, 5570 7.Faye Wong, 5531 8.Madonna, 5227 9.John Linnell, 4189 10.Sarah Michelle Gellar, 4181 11.Hanson, 3964 12.Mariah Carey, 2801 13.Hudson Leick, 2489 14.Eric Cartman, 2379 15.Lucy Lawless, 2084 16.Janet Jackson, 2075 17.Matt Damon, 1801 18.Bill Muse, 920 19.Brad Pitt, 904 20.Renee O'Connor, 856 squeaked it in there by 8 votes! woo hoo!!! oh, and as regards the assertion before that ric flair is here to stay: do you remember how long linda comer was on the list before she disappeared? --jim kuemmerle, who's thinking we're pretty much guaranteed a spot for linnell... :) j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu ------------------------------ From: "Drunken Bird" Organization: Columbus State Univ.,Columbus, Ga. Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 17:30:18 EST Subject: TMBG: fans looke like Linnell but how about fans/ Paricle man wa Message-ID: <1300AA9036D@colstate.edu> We have been talking about how much many of us, or our boyfreinds, or our (I wish he were) boyfreinds, but how many of us have a Flan trait or two? I have no idea considering I'm even skinner then Linnell *shrug*, so much so that everytime I raise my hand, my watch drops to my elbow. Which brings me to an idea I had that would be a great addition to the TMB Productions list. A Particle man watch, with the possibility of it being a Universe Man watch.. I don't know what ever you guys prefer. - Drunken Bird (who just got his a conformed membership to tmbg.org) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 16:19:58 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: NON-TMBG: Sporks (WARNING! ANOTHER PUN AHEAD!) Message-ID: On Fri, 8 May 1998, Ethuilcalen wrote: > That was really, really bad. you mean, "these are the tines that try men's souls"? --jim kuemmerle, who really is sorry about all this, but who just can't help himself... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35538563.AA9F156@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu> Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 17:21:23 -0500 From: mighty JACK Subject: TMBG: RE: Misc. T part 2... [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (message/rfc822)] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19980508224424.007c8140@mail-in.keme.net> Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 22:44:24 +0100 From: Squidgy Colin Subject: Re: TMBG: linnellian and flansburghish people... At 12:02 08/05/98 -0700, you wrote: >However, I do find an extreme >cockney accent (Kate Moss, Oasis) a little irritating, probably because I have >difficulty understanding them. Mild cockney is fine with me. Ummm Oasis, Cockney? They come from Manchester which is in the North of my rancid isle. Cocneys are those who are born in London and close by places. Not even I can understand the Oasis boys! ;) >> Colin, who claims that he is England >I would think that would be quite a responsibility! All that, *and* a social >life? I'm impressed. ;) Glad to hear it. Did you know that Tony Blair is s'posed to be the prime minister. I think someone should tell him because he seems to be sitting around not knowing what he is doing right now. ~THE ELLESLEYS~ (of Colchester-Essex-UK) Home Page: Http://www.keme.co.uk/~thelimes/ TMBG page: Http://members.xoom.com/uncle_squid/Xoom/ Last LPs bought: Vinyl- "8 Legged Groove Machine" by The Wonderstuff CD - "I Blame The Government" by carter the unstoppable sex machine Last single bought: CD - "The Impression That I Get" by The Mighty Mighty BossTones ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 18:26:39 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Misc. T part 2... Message-ID: <19980508.183215.3270.3.gray42@juno.com> On Fri, 08 May 1998 00:00:38 -0500 checkers writes: > >> Maybe they could even put out a Christmas album, with O >Tannenbaum and >>Christmas Card, and We just go nuts....oh dear, I seem to have gotten >myself on >>a tangent.....grrrr..... > >and maybe careless santa.... =) ooooohhhh, how about an album for presidents day (James K. Polk, Ant) and another for halloween (turn around, where your eyes don't go, etc. etc.) Mysterio Gal (fellow Subgenius & Happy Mutant) " If there were no doorknobs nobody would be abel to open the doors. Everybody would die" --Claire (age 6) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 18:22:16 -0400 Subject: Re: Nonish-TMBG: Linnell & Flansie look-alikes.. Message-ID: <19980508.183215.3270.2.gray42@juno.com> > I like 'em slightly 'goofy' looking with big noses. :) Wow! You Too? hehe As for everyone who read about what I had to say about sporks and my previous message on this subject. The two guys are of course Jared And William. Jared phisically looks like a mix of John Linnell, Buddy Holly, James Dean, Pee Wee Herman, and Ford Prefect. While William has more Flansburgh like qualities (glasses too) and in a Hitchhiker's movie would make a great Zaphod Beeblebrox, or Marvin. Coincidently they are good friends and are in a music group together (Liv Tyler In The Universe), but Dr. Plutonium Wilson (Jared) tends to only make guest appearences as a KEYBOARDIST, and William plays the GUITAR. Jared is very metaphorical and very weird, while William is a big time people person and is weird also. Everything is all so interconnected. Mysterio Gal (fellow Subgenius & Happy Mutant) " If there were no doorknobs nobody would be abel to open the doors. Everybody would die" --Claire (age 6) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: "Mr. Me" Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 17:53:53 CST Subject: Re: TMBG: one last people update... Message-ID: <389ECED0B67@athena.valpo.edu> ok, maybe i'm out of touch with the world (i'm pretty sure i am. today i had to look at my watch to tell what day it is), but anyway, who the hell is hank the angry drunken dwarf? [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] "Instead of creating new weapons of destruction, we ought to get some use out of the ones we already have." Deep Thoughts [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] Experience the many media of Jeremy Skrenes! Email: jskrenes@athena.valpo.edu Snail: or p356jskrenes@exodus.valpo.edu Wehrenberg Hall Airwaves: Sunday nights, 12-2am 95.1, WVUR Valparaiso, IN 46383 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980508225506.25613.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Charis Campbell" Subject: TMBG: Re:Linnell types Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 15:55:05 PDT Danielle Gaither wrote: >You know what the really sad thing is? If we knew a Linnell-type (and not >being rabid fans of his music) in real life, we probably wouldn't give him a >second look. >jennifer, mommy to alice the bean, 8/15/97, wrote >Speak for yourself -- Linnell is exactly my type. >You should meet my husband sometime!! ;) >MMmmmmm... skinny, geeky guys!! :9 I've been dating a Linnell-type for four years. But he won't admit it, in fact he HATES They. Go figure. LOL, Charis ************************************************************* * "And the truth is we don't know anything." * * - They Might Be Giants * ************************************************************* ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 18:27:17 -0500 (CDT) From: Jackyl Subject: TMBG: Vote is final - Linnell got #9 Message-ID: Hey everyone. Linnell just now in the last 20 minutes achieved his permanent placing at #9 in the People Magazine voting thing. He had 8 votes above Buffy and about 1000 below Madonna. On Monday everyone will be able to see a picture of our hero, so be ready to show off to everyone. Congratulations for all your effors, fellow TMBG fans! Brandon ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 19:46:29 -0500 (CDT) From: Jackyl Subject: TMBG: 6 new MP3s on my site Message-ID: I just added the SEXXY and The Devil Went Down to Newport b-sides to my site at http://www.the-b.org/~jackyl/mp3. Enjoy Brandon ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3553DF08.E4D1A26B@geocities.com> Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 21:43:53 -0700 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: TMBG: Misc. T part 2... gray42@juno.com wrote: > ooooohhhh, how about an album for presidents day (James K. Polk, Ant) and > another for halloween (turn around, where your eyes don't go, etc. etc.) Last Halloween, I made a tape of Halloween-ish TMBG songs. Some of my choices were stretching the theme a bit, but here's what they were: Where Your Eyes Don't Go Hall Of Heads Dead Turn Around Cage And Aquarium I walk along darkened corridors Hope That I Get Old Before I Die Who's knocking on the wall? Dig My Grave Hide Away Folk Family Exquisite Dead Guy Who is that standing out the window? Pretty much anything that deals with death, paranoia, or related topics was fair game. It only came out to twelve songs, though, three of which were Fingertips. -- Nathan Mulac DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org or vovat@geocities.com http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "All I know could be defaced by the facts in the life of Chess Piece Face." ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: <94205560.3553bada@aol.com> Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 22:09:29 EDT Subject: The other halves (Re: TMBG: lots of kinda semi-TMBG stuff...) In a message dated 5/8/98 11:17:18 AM, eck@indy.net wrote: >yeah, has anyone ever seen this Mrs. Linnell? are there any pictures out >there? does anyone even know what her name is? is she in a band too? do her >and Mrs. Flansburgh go shopping together? hmmm, what if they started their >own band.... Well back at the show I was at in 12/96, these 2 woman walked past me while I was waiting by the doors. They didn't really look like they were there to see a concert but I didn't think much of it. I was pretty puzzled when I saw them walk around the building, then go in the doors - so I figured they were *not* in fact there for the concert. Well I remembered hearing descriptions of Flans's wife before, with curly blond hair, and she fit that description, so I figured. :) If the woman with her in fact was the then-to-be-Mrs. Linnell, she was kinda shortish (still a bit taller than me at 5' 2") and had straight brown hair (and looked kinda like she had an attitude.. or maybe she was just bored). Once in a while I'll see woman who remind me of her, which is weird because I can't describe her in total specifics. Ah well. sarah {also with straight brown hair} linnellgirl@tmbg.org ~ http://lava.home.ml.org np. xtc - "drums & wires" ------------------------------ From: StereoPuff Message-ID: <7857b784.3553d638@aol.com> Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 00:06:14 EDT Subject: TMBG: "It's Fun To Steal" released (in Canada, at least) yessirs, I just picked it up at the HMV superstore here in Toronto this morning for $20 (around $12 U.S.). I'm not sure if it's the Canadian version, or if it's also available now at some stores in the U.S., or if we just got lucky up here with an earlier release date for the U.S. version. (which more than makes up for the delayed release of FS). The album employs a very nice postage-stamp-sheet motif on both the outer and inner packaging. Inside the spine of the case are small photos of Hal/Steve/DJ*****/Joe/SisterP. The back cover has the song titles printed in individual stamps above a B&W photo of a guitar leaning against a wall above some kind of grating. The booklet contains detailed credits for each song, and several photos of assorted bandmembers in Katz's deli. Excellent production all around. A few minor edits & other touch-ups can be noticed between these LP versions and the previously-released versions from the Hello discs + tape. There are several fast + direct cuts between songs, creating a wonderful sonic mesh of funkified puffy brilliance. Backstabbing Liar seems (whether intentionaly or not) much louder than the rest of the songs, which I suppose isn't much of a problem since this album deserves to be played at eardrum-shattering levels all the time anyway. And be sure to crank the megabass to "11". Mike Wood --------- please resist the temptation to shout "That's gotta hurt!" as the comet collides with Earth. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980509041440.00754d8c@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 23:14:40 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: "It's Fun To Steal" released (in Canada, at least) Wierd Question: What's the Track Listing? LDB At 12:06 AM 5/9/98 EDT, StereoPuff wrote: > >yessirs, I just picked it up at the HMV superstore here in Toronto this >morning for $20 (around $12 U.S.). I'm not sure if it's the Canadian version, >or if >it's also available now at some stores in the U.S., or if we just got lucky up >here with an earlier release date for the U.S. version. (which more than makes >up for the delayed release of FS). The album employs a very nice >postage-stamp-sheet motif on both the outer and inner packaging. Inside the >spine of the case are small photos of Hal/Steve/DJ*****/Joe/SisterP. The back >cover has the song titles printed in individual stamps above a B&W photo of a >guitar leaning against a wall above some kind of grating. The booklet contains >detailed credits for each song, and several photos of assorted bandmembers in >Katz's deli. >Excellent production all around. A few minor edits & other touch-ups can be >noticed between these LP versions and the previously-released versions from >the >Hello discs + tape. There are several fast + direct cuts between songs, >creating a wonderful sonic mesh of funkified puffy brilliance. >Backstabbing Liar seems (whether intentionaly or not) much louder than the >rest >of the songs, which I suppose isn't much of a problem since this album >deserves >to be played at eardrum-shattering levels all the time anyway. And be sure to >crank the megabass to "11". > >Mike Wood >--------- >please resist the temptation to shout "That's gotta hurt!" as the comet >collides with Earth. > > -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ From: Superman25 Message-ID: Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 00:50:37 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Misc. T part 2... hi. >Last Halloween, I made a tape of Halloween-ish TMBG songs. Some of my >choices were stretching the theme a bit, but here's what they were: > >Where Your Eyes Don't Go >Hall Of Heads >Dead >Turn Around >Cage And Aquarium >I walk along darkened corridors >Hope That I Get Old Before I Die >Who's knocking on the wall? >Dig My Grave >Hide Away Folk Family >Exquisite Dead Guy >Who is that standing out the window? > >Pretty much anything that deals with death, paranoia, or related topics was >fair game. It only came out to twelve songs, though, three of which were >Fingertips. i'm surprised there wasn't anything off of john henry. why must i be sad? or a self called nowhere more than qualify under the paranoia, creepy songs. and you forgot careless santa. adam schaaf, who knows he shouldn't have done that. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 22:50:21 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: "It's Fun To Steal" released (in Canada, at least) Message-ID: <19980508.225238.16990.6.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) >The album employs a very nice >postage-stamp-sheet motif on both the outer and inner packaging. >Inside the >spine of the case are small photos of Hal/Steve/DJ*****/Joe/SisterP. no lady puff? odd. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ::::LAST UPDATED: MAY 9TH at 12:03 AM::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 00:56:50 EDT Subject: Re: Re: TMBG: "It's Fun To Steal" released (in Canada, at least) In a message dated 5/8/98 12:53:09 AM, tmbgirl@juno.com wrote: >>The album employs a very nice >>postage-stamp-sheet motif on both the outer and inner packaging. >>Inside the >>spine of the case are small photos of Hal/Steve/DJ*****/Joe/SisterP. > >no lady puff? odd. You thinking of Sister Puff (aka Mrs. Flansy:))? She'd be the aforementioned Sister P. sarahpuff linnnellgirl@tmbg.org http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980509010434.006a382c@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Sat, 09 May 1998 01:04:34 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: Re: TMBG: "It's Fun To Steal" released (in Canada, at At 12:56 AM 5/9/98 EDT, KdsInThHal wrote: > >You thinking of Sister Puff (aka Mrs. Flansy:))? She'd be the aforementioned >Sister P. Live, there's another woman, Lady Puff, that joins in. I don't know if she had a role in making the record, though. -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3554104F.BA397A5D@geocities.com> Date: Sat, 09 May 1998 01:14:08 -0700 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: TMBG: Misc. T part 2... Superman25 wrote: > hi. > > >Last Halloween, I made a tape of Halloween-ish TMBG songs. Some of my > >choices were stretching the theme a bit, but here's what they were: > > > >Where Your Eyes Don't Go > >Hall Of Heads > >Dead > >Turn Around > >Cage And Aquarium > >I walk along darkened corridors > >Hope That I Get Old Before I Die > >Who's knocking on the wall? > >Dig My Grave > >Hide Away Folk Family > >Exquisite Dead Guy > >Who is that standing out the window? > > > >Pretty much anything that deals with death, paranoia, or related topics was > >fair game. It only came out to twelve songs, though, three of which were > >Fingertips. > > i'm surprised there wasn't anything off of john henry. why must i be sad? > or a self called nowhere more than qualify under the paranoia, creepy > songs. Well, I could always add some. It's kind of a work in progress. -- Nathan Mulac DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org or vovat@geocities.com http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "All I know could be defaced by the facts in the life of Chess Piece Face." ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 23:54:22 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: "It's Fun To Steal" released : Track listing? Message-ID: <19980508.235428.16990.8.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) >>You thinking of Sister Puff (aka Mrs. Flansy:))? She'd be the >aforementioned >>Sister P. > >Live, there's another woman, Lady Puff, that joins in. I don't know >if she >had a role in making the record, though. that's exactly who i was thinking of... (the other woman)... is the song "I beat the wiz" on there? why don't you just let us know the entire track listing... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::LAST UPDATED: MAY 9TH 12:03 AM::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: BenMoobil Message-ID: <250a3cb5.3554140c@aol.com> Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 04:30:03 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: fans looke like Linnell but how about fans/ Paricle man wa In a message dated 5/8/98 4:32:17 PM Central Daylight Time, THROWER_JASON@colstate.edu writes: << We have been talking about how much many of us, or our boyfreinds, or our (I wish he were) boyfreinds, but how many of us have a Flan trait or two? >> well i must say i myself have more Flasnburghian traits though i don't wear glasses i am some what the porkey kinda fello and have matching skin tone and once haad the same hair color before i met Miss L'oreal, i also usually and very outspoken and jovial and friendly (-: the ben (ask kaylum if ya don't believe me ) (-; ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980509100049.006a4d84@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Sat, 09 May 1998 10:00:49 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: "It's Fun To Steal" released : Track listing? At 11:54 PM 5/8/98 -0600, you wrote: > >that's exactly who i was thinking of... (the other woman)... >is the song "I beat the wiz" on there? why don't you just let us know >the entire track listing... Sure, why not? :) From monopuff.org: 1. Creepy 2. It's Fun To Steal 3. Poison Flowers 4. Mr. Hughes Says 5. Imaginary Friend 6. Taste The Bass 7. Extra Krispy 8. Dedicated 9. Backstabbing Liar 10. Hillbilly Drummer Girl 11. Dashiki Lover 12. Pretty Fly 13. I Just Found Out What Everybody Knows 14. Night Security -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 13:29:48 +0000 Subject: TMBG: one last people update... -Reply Well done everyone. You may be interested to know that this story has been picked up on the side of the Atlantic(i.e the UK) - which is interesting because, I suspect, People magazine means almost nothing to most people over here. The Guardian newspaper (a broadsheet with a left of centre stance - and the only UK newspaper to carry Doonesbury!) had an article in its IT section on Thursday 7 May by DOUGLAS RUSHKOFF (contact WWW.LEVITY.COM/RUSHKOFF) entitled 'Let's hear it for the little guy'. He made some interesting points including:- 'The tiniest release of absolute control over content was all radio personality Howard Stern need to launch a campaign....Hank's victory says a whole lot more about our relationship to traditional media than it does about HS ability to prank People magazine...the People poll gave the Internet community a chance to express its absolute disgust for the shallow cults of the personality created and perpetuated by the traditional top-down media. It was a collective shout into the electronic dark where we took control of a polling apparatus...A disbelieving media couldn't help but misreport the event. Several major newspapers assumed the People magazine web server had been 'hacked' by teenagers. This year's People magazine poll, for once, was absolutely accurate. They asked for our opinion, and they got it.' And so say all of us. It's just a shame that he didn't look beyond the big story and hone down on the really interesting story about the battle between Hanson and some character called John Linnell. Next year maybe. Richard >>> "J.Kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu" 9/May/1998 02:50am >>> the poll's closed now, while they tally up the votes, but the last update shown on the latest results page was as follows: 1.Hank the Angry, Drunken Dwarf, 230169 votes 9.John Linnell, 4189 oh, and as regards the assertion before that ric flair is here to stay: do you remember how long linda comer was on the list before she disappeared? --jim kuemmerle, who's thinking we're pretty much guaranteed a spot for linnell... :) j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980509171956.6505.rocketmail@send1d.yahoomail.com> Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 10:19:56 -0700 (PDT) From: Amanda Nichols Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG-Fwd: hey there > This sonicnet write-up is notable for being condescending in tone, > and for being factually inaccurate. Flans did not direct the videos for > Birdhouse In Your Soul and Istanbul, as most of us know. Secondly, I have > to question any article which asserts that TMBG will never truly achieve > any further substantial degree of success. It's sad to suggest that at 38, > Flans' career has reached its peak. Good, my friend Tom and I weren't the only ones who thought that (hence the note before the article by a mysterious TomO). sonicnet is dumb... I still say that tongue-zine's done the best job so far (and I'm not just saying that because Mike is the editor and is a big, big man who does the Ana Ng dance during station remotes...oh no). mnda _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980509172731.11444.rocketmail@send1c.yahoomail.com> Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 10:27:31 -0700 (PDT) From: Amanda Nichols Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG-Fwd: hey there > >Now, I don't know for sure, but I tend to doubt that grunge had all > >that much to do with > >TMBG not "hitting the big time," so to speak. I doubt that the Johns > >and the grunge bands > >were even attempting to cater to the same audiences. I was just thinking... grunge didn't become mainstream until 1992, with the release of Nirvana's "nevermind." These people are dumber than they look. mnda _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot Message-ID: Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 13:25:14 EDT Subject: TMBG: Nice Try! I went to http://www.dialasong.com/sound & got a "Nice Try" message...I just thought that was nifty...maybe dialasong.com will come soon...i hope... jason ------------------------------ From: "Cyborg J. Kucera" Message-Id: <199805091739.MAA24542@peter.atw.earthreach.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Nice Try! Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 12:39:39 -0500 (CDT) > I went to http://www.dialasong.com/sound & got a "Nice Try" message...I just > thought that was nifty...maybe dialasong.com will come soon...i hope... Prolly not... They're just using redirection. If you type in _anything_ after www.dialasong.com you get the "Nice Try" error... They've just got it set up to redirect anything to that one page. :( -borg Cyborg J. Kucera "I think there's something strangely musical about noise." - Trent Reznor WOW: Serendipity | pez@earthreach.com | http://www.earthreach.com/pez ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot Message-ID: <26f8e733.35549657@aol.com> Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 13:45:57 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Nice Try! Well, surprisingly, that's the only thing that I typed in that gave me answer...other ones I got errors...but it does tell us at least two things: That the setup of Dialasong.com will not be delayed because of the server company....(it took Simplenet years & years, hyperbole, to set up my friend's, www.thebountiful.com)...The second thing being that there has been some work done at dialasong.com, even if it's simple work of two words posted on the screen.... jason "www.onlineservicessuckmonkeycock.com" glastetter P.S.: don't go to http://www.onlineservicessuckmonkeycock.com, I don't think it exists...but I could be wrong.... ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 13:28:21 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: another TMBG dream... Message-ID: in my dream: ...the tour brings john and john to salt lake city, and while they're here they stop at a friends house for a party. now it so happens (in my dream) that i'm one or two bacon degrees away from the johns, and i show up at the party, along with my parents. my parents end up offering the johns a place to stay for the night at their house (which for the purposes of the dream just happens to be up here in utah rather than down in new mexico), and they accept! the next morning, i wake up and find the johns eating breakfast and drinking coffee, dressed in very sharp-looking black and white suits. linnell grows a full beard, but just for a few minutes. they take out their instruments and start practicing "south carolina", which they're planning to play at the show tonight. they get along really well with my parents, by the way. particularly flans. later on, they're getting set up for the soundcheck backstage, and just to be silly, the johns start waltzing (flans leads.) i join in for a three-person waltz, behind flans... it's all very weird, but the backup band finds it hilarious. speaking of the backup band, one of the members of the backup band is the guy who played the lead role in 'swing kids'... and i keep wanting to take out my accordion and have an impromptu jam session, but my brain switches dreams before i get the chance to ask... --jim kuemmerle, who just realized that the johns changed into more casual clothes sometime in between breakfast and the waltz... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: <60224dda.3554ae4d@aol.com> Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 15:28:12 EDT Subject: TMBG: Linnell, let's do it again! Someone posted this onto the TMBG newsgroup (sorry person I lost yer name), that Time is doing a *person of the century* poll.. and now, considering Linnell has lived the whole century.. err.. anyways, tell your friends and let's do this all over again! Stuff the ballots! Come on! Another chance to kick Ric Flair's ass! Now now now nownow! (btw there's no message about dupe votes.. :D) Despite the fact he'd most likely not get in the magazine at least we can get his name on the screen. http://www.pathfinder.com/time/time100/toppersonmain.html sarah!! linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 13:49:01 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell, let's do it again! Message-ID: On Sat, 9 May 1998, KdsInThHal wrote: > Someone posted this onto the TMBG newsgroup (sorry person I lost yer name), > that Time is doing a *person of the century* poll.. and now, considering > Linnell has lived the whole century.. err.. anyways, tell your friends and > let's do this all over again! Stuff the ballots! > Come on! Another chance to kick Ric Flair's ass! Now now now nownow! (btw > there's no message about dupe votes.. :D) i like the graphic design for the time poll sooooooo much more than people's! (i was beginning to think that if i had to look at mariah carey's face one more time i'd lose my lunch...) > Despite the fact he'd most likely not get in the magazine at least we can get > his name on the screen. > > http://www.pathfinder.com/time/time100/toppersonmain.html man -- ric flair's ALREADY at the top of the list! :( --jim kuemmerle, who is going to go back to sleep soon... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3554E113.D82EE6F6@geocities.com> Date: Sat, 09 May 1998 16:04:53 -0700 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell, let's do it again! KdsInThHal wrote: > Someone posted this onto the TMBG newsgroup (sorry person I lost yer name), > that Time is doing a *person of the century* poll.. and now, considering > Linnell has lived the whole century.. err.. anyways, tell your friends and > let's do this all over again! Stuff the ballots! I thought Ned Flanders was Time Magazine's Man of the Century. ("Must've been a slow century." -Homer) -- Nathan Mulac DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org or vovat@geocities.com http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "All I know could be defaced by the facts in the life of Chess Piece Face." ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 17:07:34 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell, let's do it again! Message-ID: <19980509.170742.18646.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) >Come on! Another chance to kick Ric Flair's ass! Now now now nownow! >(btw >there's no message about dupe votes.. :D) well then... why don't we get both linny and flans in there? * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html Another fine IRC #tmbg moment: (Jish) linnell has the stupidest song intros (Jish) "here's an old one" (deathinc) this song features the electric guitar * ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: EmmyMik Message-ID: <63d2c757.35550eeb@aol.com> Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 22:20:25 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell, let's do it again! In a message dated 98-05-09 19:08:47 EDT, you write: << well then... why don't we get both linny and flans in there? >> Sounds like a good idea to me... ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35554703.1460@fuse.net> Date: Sat, 09 May 1998 23:19:48 -0700 From: jays your one-paged dictionary Organization: dial-a-song! 718-287-6962, narrrrrrrrr! Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell, let's do it again! Joda: Master of Yedi wrote: > > >Come on! Another chance to kick Ric Flair's ass! Now now now nownow! > >(btw > >there's no message about dupe votes.. :D) > > well then... why don't we get both linny and flans in there? > no ... we can't do that, because, due to our somewhat shady voting practices, were we to vote for both of them, t'would take twice as long; anyway, it would only be fair to limit this to flansie. though i think linnell infinitely more important. :) love and good happiness stuff, jay ------------------------------ Message-ID: <355542A8.6F31A3BF@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu> Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 01:01:13 -0500 From: Vince Cornell Subject: TMBG: She Was a Hotel Detective... Does anyone know who sings the "high pitch" parts on SWAHD...the BTS EP version. -The Crazy Googan-Heimer- -- -William Vincent Cornell, the 2nd- "Have a Navy Marine Corps Day" -Old Dominion University's Naval ROTC homepage "The optimist thinks that this is the best of all possible worlds, and the pessimist knows it." -J. Robert Oppenheimer "Your enemy is never a villain in his own eyes. Keep this in mind; it may offer a way to make him your friend. If not, you can kill him without hate - and quickly" -Excerpt from the notebooks of Lazarus Long ------------------------------ Message-ID: <355542CD.8B8BC3EF@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu> Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 01:01:49 -0500 From: Vince Cornell Subject: TMBG: Istanbul (not Constantinople) [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (message/rfc822)] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #6-10 *****************************