Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #6-11 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 6, Number 11 Monday, 11 May 1998 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Istanbul (not Constantinople) Re: TMBG: She Was a Hotel Detective... Re: TMBG: Istanbul (not Constantinople) TMBG: Time's person of the century TMBG: Re: She Was a Hotel Detective... TMBG: song parody Re: TMBG: Istanbul (not Constantinople) Re: Non TMBG: Live show behavior in the US Re: TMBG: song parody Re: TMBG: She Was a Hotel Detective... Re: TMBG: Linnell, let's do it again! Re: TMBG: song parody Re: TMBG: song parody Re: TMBG: She Was a Hotel Detective... almost TMBG: unsupervised availability. Re: TMBG: Linnell, let's do it again for flansy! TMBG: Pictures/AOL users/Lyrics/an english message TMBG: Tour Dates Re: TMBG: Istanbul (not Constantinople) TMBG: I need backup on this TMBG: B-days Re: TMBG: Istanbul (not Constantinople) TMBG: Pet Name (Was "Istanbul...") Re: TMBG: Pictures/AOL users/Lyrics/an english message Re: TMBG: Pictures/AOL users/Lyrics/an english message TMBG: Heh heh heh... TMBG: HCISLAG? Increase the speed of your voice track! Re: TMBG: Istanbul (not Constantinople) Re: TMBG: Pet Name (Was "Istanbul...") Re: TMBG: Heh heh heh... TMBG: Another Graham Maby sighting... Re: TMBG: Heh heh heh... Re: TMBG: "It's Fun To Steal" released (in Canada, at least) Re: TMBG: Istanbul (not Constantinople) Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980510020205.006a1de4@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 02:02:05 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Istanbul (not Constantinople) At 01:01 AM 5/10/98 -0500, Vince Cornell wrote: > > Okay, it may be one of their more "popular" songs, but for all >my money it's still one of their best for the pure mixture of sounds. >It's just so freakin' beautiful the way all of it mixes >together...Flans' background sounds, the accordian, violen (OH Sweet >merciful heavens, the violen)...just everything. It works so DAMN >well. How did they ever get this combination? How did they even >conceive it. Trial and error? Did they just KNOW it would work that >well? This song alone is testimony to their absolutely mind-blowing >sound. I LOVE this song. I totally agree with you, and it's for those exact reasons that it drives me nuts when They play it live. The live version is awful in every conceivable way... -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: Cajun Gram Message-ID: <9d739ce8.355548f4@aol.com> Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 02:28:03 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: She Was a Hotel Detective... In a message dated 98-05-10 02:03:20 EDT, you write: << Does anyone know who sings the "high pitch" parts on SWAHD...the BTS EP version. -The Crazy Googan-Heimer- >> As I recall, it is John Linnell who sings the high part on SWAHD, but his voice was then sped up so it was even higher pitched. I'm pretty that's right, but as always, I could be wrong, though I'm pretty sure... Graham ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 02:37:50 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Istanbul (not Constantinople) Message-ID: <19980510.023841.3310.0.gray42@juno.com> Hehe, has anyone (but me) ever watched Star Wars (on mute) and listened to They at the same time. I listened to Pet Name durring one of the scenes where Luke and Han Solo were arguing and the music just seemed to go perfectly (meaning the actors lip movements synchronized well with the wording in the music, I.E. Solo: "You gave me a pet name" Luke: "Which is not to say I lie it", plus the fact that they were angry helped all the more), it made the movie quite a bit funnier (as a matter of fact) I suppose you could do it w/ other movies as well:) Mysterio Gal (who is just happy & excited right now because she just watched Beetlejuice) " If there were no doorknobs nobody would be abel to open the doors. Everybody would die" --Claire (age 6) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199805100652.CAA27600@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 01:54:21 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: TMBG: Time's person of the century I've cast my vote for John Flansburgh for Time's Person of the Century poll at Why haven't you? Harf, Mitch ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35557F1B.EE00FA2F@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu> Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 05:19:07 -0500 From: King of Wingo Subject: TMBG: Re: She Was a Hotel Detective... > << Does anyone know who sings the "high pitch" parts on SWAHD...the > BTS EP version. > > As I recall, it is John Linnell who sings the high part on SWAHD, but his > voice was then sped up so it was even higher pitched. I'm pretty that's right, > but as always, I could be wrong, though I'm pretty sure... You know, I suspected it was him, but didn't want to say anything less I look a fool. Right when he says "I don't think it was the money"...you can really tell it's him. I think that's cool. Oh well, thanks. -The Crazy Googan-Heimer-, who now knows that Linnell can sing like a girl -- -William Vincent Cornell, the 2nd- "Have a Navy Marine Corps Day" -Old Dominion University's Naval ROTC homepage "The optimist thinks that this is the best of all possible worlds, and the pessimist knows it." -J. Robert Oppenheimer "Your enemy is never a villain in his own eyes. Keep this in mind; it may offer a way to make him your friend. If not, you can kill him without hate - and quickly" -Excerpt from the notebooks of Lazarus Long ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980510122851.19173.rocketmail@web1.rocketmail.com> Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 05:28:51 -0700 (PDT) From: Danielle Gaither Subject: TMBG: song parody Ahem, ahem. Written in about 2 minutes, inspired by boredom and the list's Linnell fixation, Ms. Danielle Gaither proudly presents: JOHN FLANSBURGH VS. JOHN LINNELL (to be sung to the tune of XTC vs. Adam Ant) John Flansburgh vs. John Linnell Left hand vs. right Fighting for that place in Giant fandom It should be quite a fight Just when you think it's finished And you think Flans has won People Online does a beauty poll Linnell is back again John Flansburgh vs. John Linnell Only one will survive Teddy bear cute vs. tortured artist Giantheads will decide John Flansburgh vs. John Linnell I can't tell you why Even Ana Ng and Universe Man Can't make up their minds John Flansburgh vs. John Linnell Time is passing by John Flansburgh vs. John Linnell It should be quite a fight It should be quite a fight It should be quite a fight * --------------------------------- (bows, dodges thrown tomatoes) Thank you, thank you. Danielle, inspector over the mine :) === URL: http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/1054/index.html "Remember me? I'm not married, I don't have any kids, and I'd blow your head off if someone paid me enough." --from _Grosse Pointe Blank_ _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3555D2C4.A5093D0C@pop3.concentric.net> Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 11:16:04 -0500 From: AnaNg718@concentric.net Subject: Re: TMBG: Istanbul (not Constantinople) Vince Cornell wrote: > Okay, it may be one of their more "popular" songs, but for all > my money it's still one of their best for the pure mixture of sounds. Indeed. It is a work of art. i refuse to slag I(NC) for it's popularity. > I also like Pet Name, dammit. So do I. I think Pet Name is one of their best songs ever :) SmileyBandit ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3555D4F4.B2C9BC22@geocities.com> Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 12:25:25 -0400 From: "Johann D. Beheader" Organization: Dissipating Planets, Inc. Subject: Re: Non TMBG: Live show behavior in the US I saw a live recording of a Radio Head concert on MTV the other night (I do not like Radio Head but my mate made me watch it while we wated for SouthPark on the other channel). Anyway, we were like, what the fuck?! The crowd were just standing about like a bunch of zombies. The only movemnet came from thier hands and to be quite frank, they looked ridiculous. Is this normal behavior at gigs in the US? --C.O.L.I.N. (Continues Other Lives Intending Noise) Besides my opinion that its really hard to get into Radiohead anyway, that behavior is not too normal in the shows ive been to. The worst show I've been to was a punk show. It was in the middle of nowhere and it was 20 degrees outside and inside. Nobody was moving cause they'd freeze to death. All the bands were pretty bad (IMHO). Most other shows I've been to have been so active, I usually leave drenched in sweat and extremely tired. Most of the shows I've gone to were hardcore shows, and if anybody's been to one, they're anything but inactive. Most people go nutsy-nuts-nuts-nuts and swing thier arms about, yell at the top of thier lungs and dance and sing thier heart out. At the best show, %90 of the audience got on stage with the band (Agnostic Front) and was lifting them over thier heads and going completely insane. That kicked ass. Of course, TMBG was one of the best ones. People were jumping about and conga lines were everywhere. Makes me happy just to think about it. To sum it up. Most of the action depends on what kind of music it was, and what kind of scene it is. And If it was on MTV, the people were probably picked on how trendy they looked and how much they wanted to be on TV anyway. LA LA LA LA. -MrBlender ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 10:54:54 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: song parody Message-ID: <19980510.105525.11134.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) > >JOHN FLANSBURGH VS. JOHN LINNELL (to be sung to the tune of XTC vs. >Adam Ant) didn't someone on the list have a TMB vs. MONO PUFF? care to post it again? :) * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html Another fine IRC #tmbg moment: (Jish) linnell has the stupidest song intros (Jish) "here's an old one" (deathinc) this song features the electric guitar * ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: "Mr. Me" Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 12:08:21 CST Subject: Re: TMBG: She Was a Hotel Detective... Message-ID: <3B42C237482@athena.valpo.edu> fun fact: the bts swahd is indeed sung by the hansome john linnell. AND, the song influenced the writing of "how can i sing like a girl," because in order to sing the song live, linnell had to go into falsetto voice. [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] "Instead of creating new weapons of destruction, we ought to get some use out of the ones we already have." Deep Thoughts [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] Experience the many media of Jeremy Skrenes! Email: jskrenes@athena.valpo.edu Snail: or p356jskrenes@exodus.valpo.edu Wehrenberg Hall Airwaves: Sunday nights, 12-2am 95.1, WVUR Valparaiso, IN 46383 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980510171111.0075f694@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 12:11:11 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell, let's do it again! >no ... we can't do that, because, due to our somewhat shady voting >practices, were we to vote for both of them, t'would take twice as long; >anyway, it would only be fair to limit this to flansie. though i think >linnell infinitely more important. :) Let's be fair to the Johns. Last time we hauled ass and got John Syd on there, this time it's time to just do it for John Con. Flansy needs some lovin' too. LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ From: Strawbos69 Message-ID: <4a76b71c.3555e594@aol.com> Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 13:36:18 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: song parody O.k., I wrote this last summer when my roommate was having a Bumble Bee problem in her room...yes, it was quite traumatic for everyone. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ The Bumble Bee That Got Fried The bumble bee that got fried The bumble bee that got fried A monument of honey flew at me from the sky The lamp that made it die The lamp that made it die It hit the lamp, it killed the bee, and it flew at me from the sky The hive it called to me (and now I see the things the light has shown to me) The queen that buzzed a word (had a honeyroll that can be spread) And though I once preferred an iquana's company I sprayed the bee that was flying over me The bumble bee that got fried The bumble bee that gor fried The bee is where the lamp-light made it fry The bulb that made it fry The bulb that made it fry My room contained a lamp where there used to be a hive The hive it called to me (and now I see the things the light has shown to me) A queen that buzzed a word (had a honeyroll that can be spread) And as the can of bug spray filled the air Three bumble bees had vanished from my charred and smoking lair And what I found was just a corpse Frying where the bug spray got me high And now it is your turn (your turn to spray and then your turn to burn) The queen she calls to you (you can't refuse the honey she gives to you) And as the can of bug spray filled the air Three bumble bees had vanished from my charred and smoking lair And what I found was just a corpse Frying where the bug spray got me high And what you'll find is just a coprse Frying where the bug spray got you high ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ That's all I wrote... ------------------------------ Message-ID: <4pJSPuC00ayi17kwo0@andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 13:42:18 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: song parody Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 10-May-98 Re: TMBG: song parody by Joda: Master of Yedi@jun > didn't someone on the list have a TMB vs. MONO PUFF? > care to post it again? :) yup. that would be me. :) They Might Be vs. Mono Puff (lyrics by Lawrence P Solomon, music by TMBG) They Might Be versus Mono Puff Giants versus Flans Fighting for a spot on alt.music It's left up to their fans Just when you think it's over With John & John on top, Mono Puff's 'Unsupervised' Tears them back apart They Might Be versus Mono Puff Only one will remain Accordion-based duo versus solo guitar The songs will bring them fame They Might Be versus Mono Puff I just can't decide Even the singers in punk band 'cub' Can't make up their minds. They Might Be versus Mono Puff Older than they've been They Might Be versus Mono Puff It will come to an end It will come to an end It will Come to An end. Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Everything sticks until it goes away, * This space inadvertently And the truth is we don't know anything." -TMBG * left blank. ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 13:45:26 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: She Was a Hotel Detective... Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 10-May-98 Re: TMBG: She Was a Hotel D.. by "Mr. Me"@Athena.valpo.ed > because in order to sing the song live, linnell had to go into > falsetto voice. actually, in concert, Flans sings the high part... (however, both Johns have excellent falsetto voices - Linnell demonstrates his in Letterbox and When it Rains it Snows, while Flans uses his in They'll Need a Crane and The Statue Got Me High) Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Everything sticks until it goes away, * This space inadvertently And the truth is we don't know anything." -TMBG * left blank. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35561B33.4C64@fuse.net> Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 14:25:07 -0700 From: jays your one-paged dictionary Organization: dial-a-song! 718-287-6962, narrrrrrrrr! Subject: almost TMBG: unsupervised availability. woah. i'm truly posting something that's not a response--quite nifty, as that usually doesn't happen. perhaps today will be a great day in phone book jaydom, with things changing to fit and suit my every need. maybe i'm just tired from that freaking paper route last night. from 2 to 7:30, i was stuffing papers in bags and throwing them into people's driveways--damned if you'll ever catch me doing that again. er. back to the subject: due to all the excitement over the near release of mono puff's 'it's fun to steal,' i decided to screw principle and go out and buy 'unsupervised.' (i'd refused before, viewing flans as a traitor ... :) i've grown outta that phase) however, out of the 4 cd stores i visited yesterday, none of them carried it; oddly enough, each had a little piece of plastic signifying an area for mono puff, but all were empty. any suggestions on buying it? will i have to order it somewhere online, or from a cd store, perhaps? or ... what? one of the clerks told me that 'unsupervised' had been sent back due to lack of interest .. *sigh* love and good happiness stuff, jay. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 12:53:50 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell, let's do it again for flansy! Message-ID: <19980510.125351.11134.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) >Let's be fair to the Johns. Last time we hauled ass and got John Syd >on >there, this time it's time to just do it for John Con. Flansy needs >some >lovin' too. Ok... but everyone remember.... it's John Flansburgh.... don't forget the H and to capitalize the J and F! someone post this to the newsgroup etc. * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html Another fine IRC #tmbg moment: (Jish) linnell has the stupidest song intros (Jish) "here's an old one" (deathinc) this song features the electric guitar * ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19980510195517.008465a0@mail-in.keme.net> Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 19:55:17 +0100 From: Squidgy Colin Subject: TMBG: Pictures/AOL users/Lyrics/an english message Well Hello Hello, Have those AOL users who had problems sending their pictures work out if they can send or not? Anyones else who hasn't done any picture sending, you should purely because you can. If that isn't good enough reason, I don't know what is!!? Can someone give me the lyrics to "Til my head falls off" and "New york city" please. My (typically) English message is for Sullen moon and it goes something like this.. "Gosh Jen, I think you are super-dooper with sugar on top (though you are sweet enough for me already). Your mail is a gift to my eyes and your words sooth my heart but it's your sense of humour that splits my sides apart". Hehehehehehehe.... If you want to kill me for that Jen, then I will gladly give my body to be slaughtered ;D --Cols, ~THE ELLESLEYS~ (of Colchester-Essex-UK) Home Page: Http://www.keme.co.uk/~thelimes/ TMBG page: Http://members.xoom.com/uncle_squid/Xoom/ Last LPs bought: Vinyl- "8 Legged Groove Machine" by The Wonderstuff CD - "I Blame The Government" by carter the unstoppable sex machine Last single bought: CD - "The Impression That I Get" by The Mighty Mighty BossTones Last MP3 Downloaded: "International Klein Blues (remixed)" by God Ate My Homework ------------------------------ From: Super D149 Message-ID: <1326823.3556030d@aol.com> Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 15:42:03 EDT Subject: TMBG: Tour Dates I've been away from the list for awhile, could someone please E-mail me with a list of current tour dates? Thanks, David ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980510195611.27044.rocketmail@web4.rocketmail.com> Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 12:56:11 -0700 (PDT) From: Danielle Gaither Subject: Re: TMBG: Istanbul (not Constantinople) ---AnaNg718@concentric.net wrote: > > > > Vince Cornell wrote: > > > Okay, it may be one of their more "popular" songs, but for all > > my money it's still one of their best for the pure mixture of sounds. > > Indeed. It is a work of art. i refuse to slag I(NC) for it's popularity. Yup. *Not* liking something because of its popularity is just as irrational as *liking* something because other people do. Not that I don't occasionally fall into this trap. ;) > > I also like Pet Name, dammit. > > So do I. I think Pet Name is one of their best songs ever I don't know if I'd call it one of their best, but I like it more each time I listen to it. I didn't like it when I first heard it, and now I think I know why: on _Factory Showroom_, the song comes right after James K. Polk, which features that really cool booming-baritone thing that Linnell can do. When placed immediately after that, Flans's voice in that song sounds kind of airy and weak, although it does get better as the song progresses. Just my theory. Danielle, inspector over the mine === URL: http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/1054/index.html "Remember me? I'm not married, I don't have any kids, and I'd blow your head off if someone paid me enough." --from _Grosse Pointe Blank_ _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 13:05:33 -0700 (PDT) From: Alon Yaari Subject: TMBG: I need backup on this Message-ID: Does the section of Lucky Ball and Chain on Flood between 1:03 and 1:12 sound EXACTLY like the South Park theme, or am I just hearing things? -Yar ------------------------------ From: filthyscarecrow@webtv.net Message-Id: <199805102053.NAA15531@mailtod-152.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 15:53:04 -0500 Subject: TMBG: B-days I have a friend who's been a giant head since he was five. he has the same B-day as Flansburgh. i thing that makes him destined to be a great TMBG fan. " But we were expressin' ourselves!" -Flansy OH NO POP IS DEAD "most cartoons aren't broadcast live; it's a terrible strain on the animator's wrist" ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 17:14:52 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Istanbul (not Constantinople) Message-ID: On Sun, 10 May 1998, Danielle Gaither wrote: > Yup. *Not* liking something because of its popularity is just as irrational > as *liking* something because other people do. Not that I don't occasionally > fall into this trap. ;) whenever that happens to me, i think it's just because i get tired of it. (plus i like to have unique things that i'm into.) but i generally don't forget the inherent quality of the song... > I don't know if I'd call it one of their best, but I like it more each > time I listen to it. I didn't like it when I first heard it, and now I > think I know why: on _Factory Showroom_, the song comes right after > James K. Polk, which features that really cool booming-baritone thing > that Linnell can do. When placed immediately after that, Flans's voice > in that song sounds kind of airy and weak, although it does get better > as the song progresses. Just my theory. i like that theory! :) i like pet name, if for no other reason than that beautiful chord change that goes with "and it's a lucky thing...". it reminds me a lot of the song 'glamour boy' by the guess who. (anyone else know that one?) --jim kuemmerle, who falls in love with the strangest things... (with a chord change? what kind of a freak *is* this guy?) j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu ------------------------------ From: Kaylum Message-ID: <904dcfdf.355637ed@aol.com> Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 19:27:39 EDT Subject: TMBG: Pet Name (Was "Istanbul...") << i like pet name, if for no other reason than that beautiful chord change that goes with "and it's a lucky thing...". it reminds me a lot of the song 'glamour boy' by the guess who. (anyone else know that one?) >> Hmm, I don't remember that one-and I was partially raised on the Who! I like Pet Name because it makes me smile when Flans sings "we almost figured out how we get along"...he sounds SO Billy Joel! Kay ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35566559.8356E616@geocities.com> Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 19:41:30 -0700 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: TMBG: Pictures/AOL users/Lyrics/an english message Squidgy Colin wrote: >Can someone give me the lyrics to "Til my head falls off" and "New york > city" please. You can find them at the Unofficial TMBG Page. http://www.tmbg.org/ -- Nathan Mulac DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org or vovat@geocities.com http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "All I know could be defaced by the facts in the life of Chess Piece Face." ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980511002341.0074d894@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 19:23:41 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: Pictures/AOL users/Lyrics/an english message At 07:41 PM 5/10/98 -0700, Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: >Squidgy Colin wrote: >>Can someone give me the lyrics to "Til my head falls off" and "New york > >> city" please. > >You can find them at the Unofficial TMBG Page. >http://www.tmbg.org/ Also they are located at the official page. http://www.tmbg.com/ LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-ID: <004201bd7c74$a5f6afe0$cf321ed1@refund.rcn.nmt.edu> From: "Refund" Subject: TMBG: Heh heh heh... Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 18:35:04 -0600 I found myself walking, much to my surprise, through a local mall the other night. Oddly enough, I even went into Hot Topx where, out of nothing more than boredom, I looked through their CD's, not expecting to find anything decent among the selection. I was right. When my gaze only momentarily passed over the vinyl section, though, lo and behold...there was a nice, new copy of WDTSS, in vinyl, for me. I was so ecstatic, I bought it immediately, not that the $1.99 price tag was deterring me from doing so anyway. So...uhhh...now I have it on vinyl too. Just thought I'd inform you all of that. Thanks. Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the state of New Mexico. And whoever said there's nothing new under the sun never thought much about individuals, but he's dead anyway. The Refreshments -- Down Together. P.S. Visit www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Amphitheatre/5550/ The first Julie Plug tribute page in HISTORY!!! :0) ------------------------------ From: echuss@notes.cc.bellcore.com Message-ID: <85256601.000C7613.00@notes950.cc.bellcore.com> Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 22:24:36 -0400 Subject: TMBG: HCISLAG? Increase the speed of your voice track! Wrote: Vince -The Crazy Googan-Heimer- Cornell Subject: TMBG: She Was a Hotel Detective... Does anyone know who sings the "high pitch" parts on SWAHD...the BTS EP version. > On the CD version it was Linnell with the help of a sped up voice track which raised his pitch to almost sound like a girl. The live version was Flans with no help. Apparently due to the negative response he received from some "critics" for his high-pitched voice, JF penned the song HCISLAG which can be heard on FS. Erik ------------------------------ Message-ID: <355671B2.E85266F8@pop3.concentric.net> Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 22:34:10 -0500 From: AnaNg718@concentric.net Subject: Re: TMBG: Istanbul (not Constantinople) > > > I also like Pet Name, dammit. > > > > So do I. I think Pet Name is one of their best songs ever > I don't know if I'd call it one of their best, but I like it more each time I > listen to it........Flans's voice in that song sounds kind of airy > and weak, although it does get better as the song progresses. Just my theory. I do have to agree with you on that point. It's not that that I like abiut it, it's the content of the song. Clever, but with such wistful feeling. And ppl keep saying Flans can't write. (Not ppl on this list.) Spike ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 21:56:07 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Pet Name (Was "Istanbul...") Message-ID: On Sun, 10 May 1998, Kaylum wrote: > << i like pet name, if for no other reason than that beautiful chord > change that goes with "and it's a lucky thing...". it reminds me a lot > of the song 'glamour boy' by the guess who. (anyone else know that > one?) >> > > Hmm, I don't remember that one-and I was partially raised on the Who! uh-uh... i'm referring to the *guess* who... also known for "american woman," "undun," "no sugar night/new mother nature," "hand me down world," etc.... no relation to the who of "my generation" and "tommy" and the like... --jim kuemmerle, who was partially raised on the guess who and therefore has no idea how obscure/not obscure they are outside his own twisted personal universe... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 22:02:22 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Heh heh heh... Message-ID: On Sun, 10 May 1998, Refund wrote: > When my gaze only momentarily passed over the vinyl section, though, lo > and behold...there was a nice, new copy of WDTSS, in vinyl, for me. I > was so ecstatic, I bought it immediately, not that the $1.99 price tag > was deterring me from doing so anyway. So...uhhh...now I have it on > vinyl too. Just thought I'd inform you all of that. Thanks. cool! i hadn't realized WDTSS? was released on vinyl. i was doing something similar a few years back at a record store in san antonio and happened across the "don't let's start" single on vinyl. :) --jim kuemmerle, who subsequently gave it to jim montgomery as a present... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980510235646.006a5934@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 23:56:46 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Another Graham Maby sighting... May 18, the night before Mono Puff's release date, Natalie Merchant, presumably with Graham on bass, will be performing on David Letterman. Actually, by the time the musical guests get on (at least in EST), it'll be May 19... Um, so mark your calendar. -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 00:12:58 EDT Subject: Re: Re: TMBG: Heh heh heh... In a message dated 5/10/98 12:02:59 AM, J.Kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu wrote: >cool! i hadn't realized WDTSS? was released on vinyl. i was doing >something similar a few years back at a record store in san antonio and >happened across the "don't let's start" single on vinyl. :) May I jump on the bandwagon and say I too did the same thing? Only it was the pink album on vinyl for $3 in a used bin. Gotta always look!:) sarah http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ From: StereoPuff Message-ID: <8f9bb2b7.355684a5@aol.com> Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 00:55:00 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: "It's Fun To Steal" released (in Canada, at least) LDB@TMBG.ORG wrote: > >Wierd Question: What's the Track Listing? 1. Creepy 2. It's Fun To Steal 3. Poison Flowers 4. Mr. Hughes Says 5. Imaginary Friend 6. Taste The Bass 7. Extra Krispy 8. Dedicated 9. Backstabbing Liar 10. Hillbilly Drummer Girl 11. Dashiki Lover 12. Pretty Fly w/ Sister Puff 13. I Just Found Out What Everybody Knows 14. Night Security w/ Barry Carl Extra Krispy has a great 70-ish disco-diva sound w/ synth strings and some great work by Double Dong; really makes me want to check out their album, if they even have one. Some of you might remember Barry Carl as the bass-vocalist from the now- defunct Rockapella. This sentence serves only as a transition-piece between the sentence that precedes it and the following sentence. And the purpose of this sentence is to channel the spirit of Ms. Nancy and tell people to visit ex-Rockapella-member Sean Altman's fun & (frighteningly) comprehensive website at www.bigsean.com Also remember to visit www.monopuff.org , your official unofficial source for all-things-puffy. And speaking of things-puffy, WHAT was the deal with that song that monsieur Puffdaddy Combs performed on SNL saturday? Is this man capable of actually writing his own music, or must he always be reduced to stealing from others? I at least had to give him credit for stealing from such a cool + obscure band as the Ordinaires, but then I recalled that I think "Kashmir" is a Led Zeppelin cover... (?) Regardless, my dad thought his performance was the funniest thing on SNL in years. Mike Wood --------- This is the bandwith-wasting sentence. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3556B449.3F70@fuse.net> Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 01:18:17 -0700 From: jays your one-paged dictionary Organization: dial-a-song! 718-287-6962, narrrrrrrrr! Subject: Re: TMBG: Istanbul (not Constantinople) AnaNg718@concentric.net wrote: > > I do have to agree with you on that point. It's not that that I like abiut it, > it's the content of the song. Clever, but with such wistful feeling. And ppl keep > saying Flans can't write. (Not ppl on this list.) > > Spike someone says flans can't write? woah. many of the songs i consider extremely poetic are flans-made: folk family, hope that i get old, the world's address, actual size, road movie, ensor, sleeping in the flowers ... the list continues. i digress that he's not the world's most gifted vocalist--his range and ability are completely outclassed by linnell--but it's ... pretty, just the same. in my opinion. peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jay ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #6-11 *****************************