Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #6-12 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 6, Number 12 Tuesday, 12 May 1998 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Heh heh heh... TMBG: Pet Name TMBG: Your Racist Friend Remix TMBG: PETNAME Re: TMBG: PETNAME TMBG: Hi, just checking to see if I have successfully unsubscribed for the s Re: TMBG: Pet Name (Was "Istanbul...") Re: TMBG: Pet Name Re: TMBG: "It's Fun To Steal" released (in Canada, at least) TMBG: They in Mono, just arn't they TMBG: novelty act TMBG: Record Collector Show NON-TMBG: Rockapella NON-TMBG: Rockapella Re: TMBG: They in Mono, just arn't they Re: TMBG: PETNAME Re: TMBG: PETNAME Re: TMBG: PETNAME Re: TMBG: novelty act TMBG: Re: PETNAME Re: TMBG: Re: PETNAME TMBG: final poll results TMBG: Linnell is up there! Re: TMBG: final poll results Re: NON-TMBG: Rockapella, Sean Altman Re: TMBG: Re: PETNAME Re: TMBG: Linnell is up there! Re: TMBG: Linnell is up there! Re: TMBG: Photos of Listees (a plead for) TMBG: Hello world Re: TMBG: Linnell is up there! TMBG: TMBG.ORG Re: TMBG: TMBG.ORG Re: TMBG: TMBG.ORG Re: TMBG: TMBG.ORG Re: TMBG: Hello world Re: TMBG: TMBG.ORG Re: TMBG: TMBG.ORG Re: TMBG: TMBG.ORG Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Strawbos69 Message-ID: <57e4e083.3556962e@aol.com> Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 02:09:49 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Heh heh heh... In a message dated 98-05-11 00:02:59 EDT, J.Kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu writes: << cool! i hadn't realized WDTSS? was released on vinyl. >> This was recently available through Vinyl Vendors a few months back, if anyone else is interested... ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980510231208.0069e2fc@pop.ben2.ucla.edu> Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 23:12:08 +0000 From: Josh Morgan Subject: TMBG: Pet Name Jay wrote: > anyway, it would only be fair to limit this to flansie. though i think > linnell infinitely more important. :) "MORE IMPORTANT"?!?! i've tried to stay out of the whole which john is better debate but it always seems to rear it's ugly little head so i'm gonna have to stick up for Flansburgh once and for all. Linnell is great and all: HIS songs are the "hits", the chicks seem to dig him (i got the lanky dork thing going on too), and some say he's "more talented" but WTF?! Flans rules too!! In fact, if i HAD to choose which john i'd rather be stranded on an island with, i'd take Flans in a heartbeat cuz his quirky nonchalance is much more appealing than linnell's melancholy in times of dispair. but that's all irrelevent cuz they're a TEAM. it's "john & john' and it just doesn't work w/o both of them. they're equally important. Vince wrote: > I also like Pet Name, dammit. A lot. I don't know why so many > people seem to not like it. The tone, atmosphere it sets, with the > whole falling apart relationship that is continuing out of habit, not > love...it's so "TMBG-ish" and I actually like the sound. Call me Three cheers for Pet Name!!! I love that song, especially the bass line, and Flansy's vocals kick ass. it's ironic though that i just labelled linnell as "melancholy" when Pet Name is an example of flans being depressing.... it's still a great song despite my hypocracy. Flans fan, josh ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 02:26:17 -0400 From: Jesse Richman Subject: TMBG: Your Racist Friend Remix Message-id: <3.0.3.32.19980511022617.0082a100@pop.fast.net> Does the Your Racist Friend Remix appear on CD anywhere (was there a YRF CD single?) or just on vinyl? ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Jesse Richman Fear is strangely comfortable hrichman@fast.net +Live+ st971096@pip.cc.brandeis.edu And although we were very thirsty Xopchipili@aol.com I questioned the oasis +Live+ Each new BELIEF is a LIMITED SET to be TRANSCENDED The Shamen ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19980511081046.00842cc0@mail-in.keme.net> Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 08:10:46 +0100 From: Squidgy Colin Subject: TMBG: PETNAME Now here is an interesting one. Pet name has to be (presently) one of my favorite songs on factory. Musically it is s'perb and the vox are something else. However this song has an inner meaning for me which makes it sometimes quite hard to listen to. This inner meaning thing being that (as with most TMBG songs) I can identify with the situation. I did forget my baby's pet name and all the promises I said I'd keep. Meaning basically I thought I didn't love her anymore when it was quite clearly a case of irritating familiarity that got me annoyed. Now the song brings back floods of memeories on that ex-special someone, sometimes the memories are good, sometimes bad. Does anyone else have this with Petname or other TMBG songs? Best, --Cols, ~THE ELLESLEYS~ (of Colchester-Essex-UK) Home Page: Http://www.keme.co.uk/~thelimes/ TMBG page: Http://members.xoom.com/uncle_squid/Xoom/ I've working in my workroom baby, I've been trying to make a kite, I've working day-time baby, I've been working all the night, I've been working all the night, And most of the day, I'm gonna tie my girlfriend to it, Take her to a mountain, and watch her float away-hay! -Bennet "Mockney Rebel" ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3556C8EB.F6E4F357@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu> Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 04:46:20 -0500 From: King of Wingo Subject: Re: TMBG: PETNAME > Does anyone else > have this with Petname or other TMBG songs? I've always been emotionally (well, as emotional as I get what with being wrapped up in my blanket of apathy) attached to Maybe I Know....and recently I've had to listen to We've Got A World That Swings at least five times a day. -The Crazy Googan-Heimer- *Who is leaving the list for the summer, as he is leaving his College/Internet Connection* -- -William Vincent Cornell, the 2nd- "Have a Navy Marine Corps Day" -Old Dominion University's Naval ROTC homepage "The optimist thinks that this is the best of all possible worlds, and the pessimist knows it." -J. Robert Oppenheimer "Your enemy is never a villain in his own eyes. Keep this in mind; it may offer a way to make him your friend. If not, you can kill him without hate - and quickly" -Excerpt from the notebooks of Lazarus Long ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3556DD89.4FE84BB8@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu> Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 06:14:18 -0500 From: King of Wingo Subject: TMBG: Hi, just checking to see if I have successfully unsubscribed for the summer... Hopefully everyone will get this message except for me. It was fun, I learned a lot, and if They don't tour near me soon I'll be forced into a course of insanity. Looking forward to STD, and hope everyone has a smashing summer. -The Crazy Googan-Heimer- -- -William Vincent Cornell, the 2nd- "Have a Navy Marine Corps Day" -Old Dominion University's Naval ROTC homepage "The optimist thinks that this is the best of all possible worlds, and the pessimist knows it." -J. Robert Oppenheimer "Your enemy is never a villain in his own eyes. Keep this in mind; it may offer a way to make him your friend. If not, you can kill him without hate - and quickly" -Excerpt from the notebooks of Lazarus Long ------------------------------ From: Kaylum Message-ID: Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 08:16:28 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Pet Name (Was "Istanbul...") << uh-uh... i'm referring to the *guess* who... also known for "american woman," "undun," "no sugar night/new mother nature," "hand me down world," etc.... no relation to the who of "my generation" and "tommy" and the like... --jim kuemmerle, who was partially raised on the guess who and therefore has no idea how obscure/not obscure they are outside his own twisted personal universe... >> ::smacks head hard 10 times:: D'oh! I wasn't paying close enough attention when I posted--I'm quite familiar with the Guess Who--my best friend is a big fan! I still haven't heard that song, tho. Kay ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980511133539.27056.rocketmail@attach1.rocketmail.com> Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 06:35:39 -0700 (PDT) From: Danielle Gaither Subject: Re: TMBG: Pet Name ---Josh Morgan wrote: > "MORE IMPORTANT"?!?! i've tried to stay out of the whole which john is > better debate but it always seems to rear it's ugly little head so i'm > gonna have to stick up for Flansburgh once and for all. Linnell is great > and all: HIS songs are the "hits", the chicks seem to dig him (i got the > lanky dork thing going on too), and some say he's "more talented" but WTF?! OK, OK, OK. Let's get this straight. I do agree that Linnell is a more accomplished musician than Flans. However, that isn't everything. Remember the Presidents of the USA? They had megahits using a 3-string guitar, a 2-string bass, and an arsenal of songs that were all in the same key. Their technical proficiency was limited at best. However, people bought their stuff in droves. So what is it that Flans has that Linnell doesn't? Although this isn't a great word to express it, I'd say motivation. In interviews with Linnell that I've heard, when asked about his solo work, he just kind of hums and haws around about it and has even admitted he may never finish what he intended. Meanwhile, Flans is able to juggle a side band and crank out complete albums without compromising his loyalty to TMBG. > Flans rules too!! In fact, if i HAD to choose which john i'd rather be > stranded on an island with, i'd take Flans in a heartbeat cuz his quirky > nonchalance is much more appealing than linnell's melancholy in times of I'm not sure Linnell is as melancholy as he appears; I myself often get asked what's wrong with me when nothing is wrong. However, the fact that he gives off that appearance is another need for Flans: Flans can counter this apparent attitude with his obvious enthusiasm. > dispair. but that's all irrelevent cuz they're a TEAM. it's "john & john' > and it just doesn't work w/o both of them. they're equally important. Yup. Without Flans, Linnell's life would probably be a series of incomplete projects. Without Linnell, Flans would probably be a mediocre novelty act. Danielle, inspector over the mine === URL: http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/1054/index.html "Remember me? I'm not married, I don't have any kids, and I'd blow your head off if someone paid me enough." --from _Grosse Pointe Blank_ _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980511102029.006a3180@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 10:20:29 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: "It's Fun To Steal" released (in Canada, at least) At 12:55 AM 5/11/98 EDT, StereoPuff wrote: > >Extra Krispy has a great 70-ish disco-diva sound w/ synth strings and some >great work by Double Dong; really makes me want to check out their album, if >they even have one. They do - it's on Lunch Records (http://www.lunch.com/lunch/). I bought it when they opened for TMBG, and it's pretty good. >Regardless, my dad thought his performance was the funniest thing on SNL in >years. The only thing weirder than his...performance was the applause afterwards. TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: "Drunken Bird" Organization: Columbus State Univ.,Columbus, Ga. Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 10:25:37 EST Subject: TMBG: They in Mono, just arn't they Message-ID: <32DA1A0719@colstate.edu> I've realized that They just arn't they unless it is heard is stereo, which is very odd considering praddically any other group I know of sounds fine, but with them, so much of their songs are lost. I can think of countless examples in which they alter between speakers, or just have alittle bit of fun (like with Dedicated Friend). I really can't get over it.. freeky.. I first realized this, when I copy the bulk of TMBG onto my hard drive in wav format (this was way before I heard of Mp3), just so I could make use of my CD-ROM, and listen to they at the same time (without the hassel of having tape player ect..), not to mention to brag on how many Megs I have invested in Them on my computer:) But now, I have just about half what I did invest in them.. but now in much better Mp3 quality format, but there is one thing I will never do: Hear them in mono. - Drunken Bird (which will now go do his outline on his paper on relativity for his philosophy class, in which he will be crediting They with a couple of quotes) ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9805111539.AA27147@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: novelty act Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 11:38:59 -0400 (EDT) > Yup. Without Flans, Linnell's life would probably be a series of incomplete > projects. Without Linnell, Flans would probably be a mediocre novelty act. I wouldn't say Linnell's life, perhaps his musical career to some degree...I see Flans as a good business man, able to fast talk, or just plain get done what needs to be done. But I also see him as an excellent musician. Overall, as far as TMBG is concerned I would agree that Linnell has cranked out a higher amount of excellent tunes, but I also think that Flansburgh has had his share of great songs. Before Monopuff I might tend to think that Linnell would be a better solo artist than Flansburgh on talent alone, but now that Mono Puff is around I see that Flansburgh & crew can really (and have) develop 2 excellent albums (and more great ones to come I'm sure). Hardly a novelty act. -Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 13:32:54 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <3.0.16.19980511133048.29e722de@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu> From: Harry Subject: TMBG: Record Collector Show Well, I went to the semi-annual big ass record collector's show up at Vet's Memorial last weekend and here's what I managed to find spread out among about 75 different dealers: 1.) VideoTape "They Might Be Giants" $10.00 US 15 Mins. 6 Tracks They'll Need A Crane Anna Ng Purple Toupee Don't Let's Start (She Was A) Hotel Detective Put Your Hand Inside The Puppet Head I have never seen this or heard of it before. It appears to be from around 1988 or 1989 (It refers to "They'll Need A Crane" as There most recent video.) It is in a blue box with absolutely no pictures. The lettering is reminiscent of the "TNA Crane" single. Does anyone have any idea what I bought? 2.) Vinyl "They Might Be Giants" (Pink Album) $20.00 $20.00? I don't think so. 3.) "Twisting" Acetate $35.00 I wanted this sooooooo bad but I couldn't part with $35.00 for what was probably the exact same thing as the version on "Flood". 4.) A really really weird 10" laser disc of #1, above. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19980511115800.0072e970@mailbox.ucdavis.edu> Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 11:58:23 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: NON-TMBG: Rockapella >Some of you might remember Barry Carl as the bass-vocalist from the now- >defunct Rockapella. Waitaminit. Rockapella split up? Since when? There's nothing about a breakup on their web site. Where are you getting your information? > This sentence serves only as a transition-piece between >the sentence that precedes it and the following sentence. And the purpose of >this sentence is to channel the spirit of Ms. Nancy and tell people to visit >ex-Rockapella-member Sean Altman's fun & (frighteningly) comprehensive website >at www.bigsean.com Ummm.. doesn't Nancy have an @bigsean.com address? Presumably she already knows about the website. --nicole the wonder nerd *** "Electrons are our friends, right?"--my physics TA Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn ICQ #11984736 Public PGP key at http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn/key.html ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9805111902.AA27337@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: NON-TMBG: Rockapella Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 15:02:29 -0400 (EDT) > >Some of you might remember Barry Carl as the bass-vocalist from the now- > >defunct Rockapella. > > Waitaminit. Rockapella split up? Since when? There's nothing about a > breakup on their web site. Where are you getting your information? I believe they've been broken up for quite a while, maybe a year? I don't know much about them but it seems like it's been a while since they've been together. > > > This sentence serves only as a transition-piece between > >the sentence that precedes it and the following sentence. And the purpose of > >this sentence is to channel the spirit of Ms. Nancy and tell people to visit > >ex-Rockapella-member Sean Altman's fun & (frighteningly) comprehensive > website > >at www.bigsean.com > > Ummm.. doesn't Nancy have an @bigsean.com address? Presumably she already > knows about the website. I believe that Nancy does the Rockapella website or else the Sean Altman website. -Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 15:36:31 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: They in Mono, just arn't they In a message dated 5/11/98 10:26:55 AM, THROWER_JASON@colstate.edu wrote: >I've realized that They just arn't they unless it is heard is stereo, which is >very odd >considering praddically any other group I know of sounds fine, but with them, so >much of >their songs are lost. I can think of countless examples in which they alter between > >speakers, or just have alittle bit of fun (like with Dedicated Friend). > This is almost kind of freaky.. :) I'm listening to Flood right now and it just did NOT sound right.. I tried messing with all the levels and still nothing happened until I realized the bass was off.. it sounded tinny and just really off. You don't get the *bawm bawm* on Racist Friend.. etc. Huh. sarah~ http://lava.home.ml.org "minimum waaaaage.... hiiya! *w'psh!*" ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 11 May 98 15:58 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: PETNAME Does anyone else >have this with Petname or other TMBG songs? Hmm.. well, "She's An Angel" always makes me think of one of my friends, who was totally in love with this girl for a long, long time, and never really saw her as real. It was like he thought she was an angel or something. Kirs -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "You think you're so funny, but looks aren't everything." - Lincoln "Wish You Were Dead" Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 15:48:38 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: PETNAME Message-ID: <19980511.155653.3294.0.gray42@juno.com> Hmm let's see... Right off the bat I can name one, but it's a Monopuff song. It's Hello Hello, because I'm in a time in my life where my High School buddies are going off to college, and I'm left in thr middle of no where. And every visit from them is something to be treasured. I can also relate to every one of Flansies Spy songs because as a child, that was my favorite game, making codes, my own Spy kit and Spy club, just a whole buncha Spy fun. I can also relate to The Bells Are Ringing because often times I get the feeling that society wants to pull the cotton plugs out from my ears, but so far they've failed :) Ah The list goes on and on, I'll stop before tyour ears melt. Mysterio Gal (fellow Subgenius & Happy Mutant) " If there were no doorknobs nobody would be abel to open the doors. Everybody would die" --Claire (age 6) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Hj bttrben Message-ID: <7c5a5535.35575c64@aol.com> Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 16:15:31 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: PETNAME Whenver i hear "End of the Tour" i always think of my best friend who died tragically when a drunk man hit her car. so you can obviously see how it remionds me of it. Ad am Handelman ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980511230529.10773.rocketmail@web1.rocketmail.com> Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 16:05:29 -0700 (PDT) From: Danielle Gaither Subject: Re: TMBG: novelty act ---Matthew James wrote: > > > Yup. Without Flans, Linnell's life would probably be a series of incomplete > > projects. Without Linnell, Flans would probably be a mediocre novelty act. > I wouldn't say Linnell's life, perhaps his musical career to some I meant musical life. I should have clarified. Although my statement was an admittedly gross exaggeration, the point remains: both Johns contribute essential factors to the band and wouldn't be as good without each other. > But I also see him as an > excellent musician. Overall, as far as TMBG is concerned I would agree I didn't say Flans wasn't a good musician. He has definitely improved vastly over the years. > excellent albums (and more great ones to come I'm sure). Hardly a > novelty act. True, but he's also had Linnell and countless others to influence him at this point. ;) > -Matt Danielle, inspector over the mine === URL: http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/1054/index.html "Remember me? I'm not married, I don't have any kids, and I'd blow your head off if someone paid me enough." --from _Grosse Pointe Blank_ _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: Cajun Gram Message-ID: <8912e38e.35578722@aol.com> Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 19:17:53 EDT Subject: TMBG: Re: PETNAME >This inner meaning thing being that (as with most TMBG songs) I can >identify with the situation. I did forget my baby's pet name and all the >promises I said I'd keep. Meaning basically I thought I didn't love her >anymore when it was quite clearly a case of irritating familiarity that got >me annoyed. Now the song brings back floods of memeories on that ex-special >someone, sometimes the memories are good, sometimes bad. Does anyone else >have this with Petname or other TMBG songs? Yeah, I have that with Pet name too, but it's sort of the reverse. I reminds me of the last g-friend I had, and how the whole thing sort of unraveled from under us. It was the whole "forbidden love" deal with the girls parents not approving of me (we met at a party, not to say I was invited has always made it seem to me that the guy in the song wasn't supposed to love this person, but did anyway) It's, to me anyway, told from the view point of a guy, who was slow to realize that his relationship is fading away and there's nothing he nor she can really do but sit back and watch it die, and they're not sure what will happene between them after it's over, because they've been so tight and never really friends before the relationship and aren't sure how they can function on a plutonic level, and are trying to reassure themselves about it... "you say i'm okay for a guy, but I can tell that you are lying" "and we almost figured out how we'd get along, and given time we'd find it strange to be alone" ...so they're sort of planning what will happen and talking about it in a morose sort of way, like they were watching a movie and just making comments about it. I may have added way too much of personal info in there, but I don't really think so. I've got a world that swings also makes me sad... Sorry, one more interp, same relationship (no, i'm really not that pathetic) I'll Sink Manhatten- The song is pretty much self explanitory. The guy feels he's been shafted by the girl, and wants to make her pay for what she's done to him. C'mon, we've all felt that way, right? Graham "I'm not really a pathetic lonely person, I just play one on T.V." Amsden ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980512000124.18527.rocketmail@web1.rocketmail.com> Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 17:01:24 -0700 (PDT) From: Danielle Gaither Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: PETNAME ---Cajun Gram wrote: > will happene between them after it's over, because they've been so tight and > never really friends before the relationship and aren't sure how they can > function on a plutonic level, and are trying to reassure themselves about > it... I did a monologue like this for a theatre audition once. My character suggested that she and this guy just break up as enemies instead of trying to be "adult" about it. > "and we almost figured out how we'd get along, and given time we'd find it > strange to be alone" Isn't an unhealthy relationship better than none at all? ;) Seriously, I wonder how many people stay with people they really don't care about just because they don't think they could exist on their own. > I've got a world that swings also makes me sad... You, too? Wow. Damn happy people. > Sorry, one more interp, same relationship (no, i'm really not that pathetic) > I'll Sink Manhatten- The song is pretty much self explanitory. The guy feels > he's been shafted by the girl, and wants to make her pay for what she's done > to him. C'mon, we've all felt that way, right? Oh, yes. I've even been known to plot out my revenge, although (fortunately for all involved) I'm too chicken to act on it. That whole conscience thing. "They'll Need A Crane" reminds me of my broken engagement. > Graham "I'm not really a pathetic lonely person, I just play one on T.V." > Amsden Let's see, what have we learned today? 1. Happy songs make us sad. 2. Sad songs make us sad. We're a pretty sad bunch. Myself included. Danielle P.S.--My life is actually quite good on all other fronts; I graduated from college on Saturday, and I'm going to Germany on Saturday. It'd be even better if I had someone to share it with, though. === URL: http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/1054/index.html "Remember me? I'm not married, I don't have any kids, and I'd blow your head off if someone paid me enough." --from _Grosse Pointe Blank_ _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 17:30:14 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: TMBG: final poll results Message-ID: This very well may be old news, but John Linnell ended up placing ninth on the People Poll. It's kind of amusing to see their little biography of him because it's obvious that they had to do some extensive looking around to find out who the heck he was. ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: <4b06b76b.35579948@aol.com> Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 20:35:18 EDT Subject: TMBG: Linnell is up there! http://www.pathfinder.com/people/50most/1998/winners/9linnell.html or if you're lazy, it's the same picture that accompanied the Then review last year (well, just the Linnell half.) and this odd passage, that, I guess, is trying to be flattering. *hmph* well it's still better than nothing. Oh yes, the censoring is mine... JOHN LINNELL 4,189 votes As one-half of the q****y pop duo They Might Be Giants, John Linnell looks more geek than chic, but his smart, subversive persona has made him something of a cult sex symbol among those in the know. Adept at wedding deadpan silliness to catchy melodies, Linnell, along with partner John Flansburgh, has made the group's unique brand of alterna-rock a mainstay of the pop fringes for over a decade. Photo by: Bob Berg/Retna Ltd. s'all. sarah ~ linnellgirl@tmbg.org ~ http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 20:49:09 -0400 From: Destin Berthelot Subject: Re: TMBG: final poll results Message-id: <35579C85.1DF5@rollins.edu> Not all that extensive. People has always given glowing reviews of all of their albums, even the past couple that magazines such as Spin and Rolling Stone chose to ignore. People's review of TMBG's demo tape got them signed to Bar/None. They've prolly got a pretty decent file on Mr. Linnell. Destin http://members.xoom.com/theymightbe/ leonard helfgott wrote: > > This very well may be old news, but John Linnell ended up placing ninth on > the People Poll. It's kind of amusing to see their little biography of > him because it's obvious that they had to do some extensive looking around > to find out who the heck he was. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980512005430.24737.rocketmail@send1e.yahoomail.com> Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 17:54:30 -0700 (PDT) From: Amanda Nichols Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Rockapella, Sean Altman > > > >Some of you might remember Barry Carl as the bass-vocalist from the now- > > >defunct Rockapella. > > > > Waitaminit. Rockapella split up? Since when? There's nothing about a > > breakup on their web site. Where are you getting your information? > I believe they've been broken up for quite a while, maybe a year? I > don't know much about them but it seems like it's been a while since > they've been together. Well, the were together for about 11 years when Sean Altman left. I don't know if there still *is* a Rockapella, but there are many former Rockapella members, some of whom are in the Groove Barbers now. > > >www.bigsean.com > > > > Ummm.. doesn't Nancy have an @bigsean.com address? Presumably she already > > knows about the website. > I believe that Nancy does the Rockapella website or else the Sean Altman > website. Nancy would indeed be the person in charge of Sean's site. She's also very nice, so say hello to her once in a while, why doncha? :) Anyhoo, as another person to plug away for Sean Altman, I highly recommend his CD. I've had a copy in my possession for about a week and I can't stop listening to it. All of you TMBG fans *will* find something on this CD that you like. I really don't think I can say enough good things about it, excpet that this CD, to me, embodies what pop should sound like (but usualy doesn't). Now that I've got my plugs in, Later! Amanda _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980511175825.006a0134@pop.ben2.ucla.edu> Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 17:58:25 +0000 From: Josh Morgan Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: PETNAME Cajun Gram wrote: >to him. C'mon, we've all felt that way, right? Sorry man, can't say that i have, cuz unlike the "pathetic lonely person" you play on t.v., i'm the real article who, despite umpteen attempts, has never been in a relationship in the first place, let alone fell out of love and left feeling vengeful. my world seems to be stuck in an endless loop where every girl i meet tells me "Don't lets start" Josh "waiting at the starting block" Morgan ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3557CDA7.17711161@geocities.com> Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 21:18:50 -0700 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell is up there! KdsInThHal wrote: > http://www.pathfinder.com/people/50most/1998/winners/9linnell.html > > or if you're lazy, it's the same picture that accompanied the Then review last > year (well, just the Linnell half.) and this odd passage, that, I guess, is > trying to be flattering. *hmph* well it's still better than nothing. Oh > yes, the censoring is mine... > > JOHN LINNELL > 4,189 votes > > As one-half of the q****y pop duo They Might Be Giants, John Linnell > looks more geek than chic, but his smart, subversive persona has made > him something of a cult sex symbol among those in the know. Adept at > wedding deadpan silliness to catchy melodies, Linnell, along with > partner John Flansburgh, has made the group's unique brand of > alterna-rock a mainstay of the pop fringes for over a decade. Eh? What's so terrible about the word "quirky"? -- Nathan Mulac DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org or vovat@geocities.com http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "All I know could be defaced by the facts in the life of Chess Piece Face." ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 19:49:44 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell is up there! Message-ID: <19980511.194955.16566.3.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) >Eh? What's so terrible about the word "quirky"? needless to say, the johns have stated numerous times that they hate having their music described as such * ---------------------------------------------------------------------- take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html Another fine IRC #tmbg moment: (rlough) Flans' wife is on tdk (rlough) tdk's page, I mean (Ryouko) Wow. tdk is gettin' action? (Ryouko) No wonder he's not talking. * ----------------------------------------------------------------------- _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 19:44:54 +0100 From: "Courtney L. Patubo" Subject: Re: TMBG: Photos of Listees (a plead for) It is I at: http://www.hooked.net/~cpatubo/me/cpo2.jpg danke C o u r t n e y L . P a t u b o http://www.hooked.net/~cpatubo ICQ: 3762743 Do not taunt happy fun ball. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19980511220915.006fceb0@beck0429.email.umn.edu> Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 22:09:15 -0700 From: Ted Beck Subject: TMBG: Hello world Hello everyone, I've been gone a long time, but had to return with the new TMBG activity. Can someone fill me in on the deal with the upcoming live album and what label it might be released on? Also, I have a friend who dared to place an order with Hello a very long time ago. Has anyone been successful in getting their order delivered or their money back from Hello? Thanks for the info, Ted Beck PS If the party in charge (Christie?) of the OMLTS could please email me, that would be great. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3557E5FE.4F5292BE@geocities.com> Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 23:02:39 -0700 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell is up there! Joda: Master of Yedi wrote: > >Eh? What's so terrible about the word "quirky"? > > needless to say, the johns have stated numerous times that they hate > having their music described as such Ah, I see. I was not aware of this. (Of course, that still doesn't explain what's so terrible about the word itself.) -- Nathan Mulac DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org or vovat@geocities.com http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "All I know could be defaced by the facts in the life of Chess Piece Face." ------------------------------ From: Cajun Gram Message-ID: Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 23:16:55 EDT Subject: TMBG: TMBG.ORG Does anyone know why there aren't anymore guitar chords/lyrics/interps anymore? This is very uncool... Graham ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 22:32:26 -0500 (CDT) From: "Christopher M. Stangl" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG.ORG Message-ID: On Mon, 11 May 1998, Cajun Gram wrote: > Does anyone know why there aren't anymore guitar chords/lyrics/interps > anymore? Because there *are*. Click on the bullets NEXT to the picture of the album, and you'll see a lovely track listing, with lovely guitar tabs, lovely lyrics, and lovely interps. Just like old times. > This is very uncool... > Graham I think it's reasonably cool. Harder to find your way around, but definitely cooler than the Official Site. -Chris Stangl ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 23:30:34 -0400 From: Destin Berthelot Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG.ORG Message-id: <3557C25A.6773@rollins.edu> They're up there still, they're just in a very counterintuitive and crappy (sorry) place... you have to click on the little red button to the left of the CD image. And Unreleased Songs oddly includes Linnell's stuff and I think mono puff, too. I liked it just fine before, dunno why it was changed. Destin Cajun Gram wrote: > > Does anyone know why there aren't anymore guitar chords/lyrics/interps > anymore? This is very uncool... > > Graham ------------------------------ From: Cajun Gram Message-ID: <9426ce80.3557c512@aol.com> Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 23:42:08 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG.ORG Hmm... I feel really stupid. Graham ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3557FF26.C8E681FE@geocities.com> Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 00:50:00 -0700 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: TMBG: Hello world Ted Beck wrote: > Hello everyone, > > I've been gone a long time, but had to return with the new TMBG activity. > Can someone fill me in on the deal with the upcoming live album and what > label it might be released on? Also, I have a friend who dared to place an > order with Hello a very long time ago. Has anyone been successful in > getting their order delivered or their money back from Hello? Don't know about Hello, but the live album will be called "Severe Tire Damage," and it's scheduled to be released by Restless Records this summer. It will include a live version of "They Got Lost," and a studio version of "Dr. Worm." As for the rest of it, I've seen and heard conflicting information. It will probably be a mixture of new and old stuff. Personally, I would much prefer a new studio album, but I guess we'll have to take what the Johns decide to give us. -- Nathan Mulac DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org or vovat@geocities.com http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "All I know could be defaced by the facts in the life of Chess Piece Face." ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35580078.9BE32E78@geocities.com> Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 00:55:38 -0700 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG.ORG Destin Berthelot wrote: > They're up there still, they're just in a very counterintuitive and > crappy (sorry) place... you have to click on the little red button to > the left of the CD image. And Unreleased Songs oddly includes Linnell's > stuff and I think mono puff, too. I liked it just fine before, dunno why > it was changed. I've noticed that a lot of the stuff under "unreleased songs" WAS released. It really doesn't make much sense now. If you look at the lyrics for say, "SenSurround," it says "On Albums: Unreleased Songs," even though we all know that it was released (and on two different albums). What's the deal with that? -- Nathan Mulac DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org or vovat@geocities.com http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "All I know could be defaced by the facts in the life of Chess Piece Face." ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980512011617.006a00d4@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 01:16:17 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG.ORG Well, it hasn't been released on any TMBG albums in the U.S....it's on an EP and the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers soundtrack, but it's never appeared on a full-length album, which is how I believe they're categorizing things. -Adam At 12:55 AM 5/12/98 -0700, Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: >Destin Berthelot wrote: > >I've noticed that a lot of the stuff under "unreleased songs" WAS released. >It really doesn't make much sense now. If you look at the lyrics for say, >"SenSurround," it says "On Albums: Unreleased Songs," even though we all >know that it was released (and on two different albums). What's the deal >with that? /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35580A7B.31E2DEBA@geocities.com> Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 01:38:21 -0700 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG.ORG Adam Tyner wrote: > Well, it hasn't been released on any TMBG albums in the U.S....it's on an > EP and the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers soundtrack, but it's never appeared > on a full-length album, which is how I believe they're categorizing things. No, because if you look at "S-E-X-X-Y," it is mentioned as being on an EP (the same EP that "SenSurround" is on, in fact). For some reason, it lists some songs from the EP's as being on the EP's, and others as not. (That did not come out very well, but I think I got my point across.) Besides, "SenSurround" was certainly released, even though it wasn't on an album, so having it listed under "unreleased songs" is inaccurate. -- Nathan Mulac DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org or vovat@geocities.com http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "All I know could be defaced by the facts in the life of Chess Piece Face." ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #6-12 *****************************