Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #6-13 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 6, Number 13 Wednesday, 13 May 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: jim gets waaaaay too personal for comfort (was: PETNAME) TMBG: listie photos... Re: TMBG: TMBG.ORG TMBG: Re: PETNAME TMBG: quirky Re: TMBG: Linnell is up there! TMBG: Thanks and recognition NON-TMBG: Rockapella TMBG: CD-rippers, and MP3 compressors TMBG: She Had a Hotel Falsetto TMBG: Istanbul/petname Re: TMBG: Re: PETNAME Re: TMBG: Re: PETNAME TMBG: All-Movie Guide Re: TMBG: Re: PETNAME Re: TMBG: Re: PETNAME Re: TMBG: Re: PETNAME Re: TMBG: Re: PETNAME non-TMBG: Re: TMBG: Re: PETNAME Re: TMBG: She Had a Hotel Falsetto Non-TMBG: Double Dong? Re: TMBG: Re: PETNAME Kinda TMBG: A Website Re: Kinda TMBG: A Website TMBG: I'm sorry. Re: TMBG: Re: PETNAME Re: TMBG: Re: PETNAME Re: Non-TMBG: Double Dong? Fwd: TMBG: Re: PETNAME Re: TMBG: jim gets waaaaay too personal for comfort (was: PETNAME) Re: Non-TMBG: Double Dong? Re: Non-TMBG: Double Dong? Re: Kinda TMBG: A Website Re: TMBG: jim gets waaaaay too personal for comfort (was: PETNAME) Re: Fwd: TMBG: Re: PETNAME Re: Fwd: TMBG: Re: PETNAME TMBG: Re: PETNAME TMBG: re: my last post Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 00:04:12 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: jim gets waaaaay too personal for comfort (was: PETNAME) Message-ID: On Mon, 11 May 1998, Danielle Gaither wrote: > > "and we almost figured out how we'd get along, and given time we'd find it > > strange to be alone" > > Isn't an unhealthy relationship better than none at all? ;) there are moments when i wonder... ;) > > Sorry, one more interp, same relationship (no, i'm really not that > > pathetic) I'll Sink Manhatten- The song is pretty much self > > explanitory. The guy feels he's been shafted by the girl, and wants to > > make her pay for what she's done to him. C'mon, we've all felt that > > way, right? > > Oh, yes. I've even been known to plot out my revenge, although > (fortunately for all involved) I'm too chicken to act on it. That whole > conscience thing. me too, but not the same relationship that i refer to below... > "They'll Need A Crane" reminds me of my broken engagement. you too, huh? how many people on the list are victims of broken engagements?? my engagement just dissolved two weeks ago -- i had TNAC running through my head for the next two days. and then "it's too late" by carole king for the next day. for the "radio stage" of a breakup, there are many worse songs one could come up with. :) and i was glad to have john syd's lyrics to console me. this relationship, we're breaking up as friends. and i can tell you that it is much better for the dumpee than just a pure amputation... the time i got amputated was the time that inspired "i'll sink manhattan"-like feelings. > Let's see, what have we learned today? > 1. Happy songs make us sad. > 2. Sad songs make us sad. therefore: 3. happy songs and sad songs say so much. > P.S.--My life is actually quite good on all other fronts; I graduated from > college on Saturday, and I'm going to Germany on Saturday. It'd be even > better if I had someone to share it with, though. congratulations! ^_^ --jim kuemmerle, who apologizes for any awkwardness this message may cause... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 00:12:30 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: listie photos... Message-ID: sorry about the delay in posting mine... http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/me.jpg (not a good pic: 7/97) " " " " /hawt.gif (a better pic: 1/98) --jim kuemmerle, who would point out that he's got an accordion slung over his shoulder in hawt.gif... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Message-Id: <199805121346.JAA21394@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG.ORG Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 09:46:50 -0400 (EDT) > I've noticed that a lot of the stuff under "unreleased songs" WAS released. > It really doesn't make much sense now. If you look at the lyrics for say, > "SenSurround," it says "On Albums: Unreleased Songs," even though we all > know that it was released (and on two different albums). What's the deal > with that? *points to the "mail web@tmbg.org" link at the bottom of every web page* The song list was taken from the discography a couple of months ago. There are some erros in it due to the conversion process and stuff. Things like SenSurround were just missed. Please submit these problems. I can't promise that they will get fixed quickly, but they will get fixed. The more detail you can give (eg, SenSurround under unreleased is the same as SenSurround on S-E-X-X-Y (the 5 song)) the quicker it will get fixed. -- Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org Systems Engineer - Internetworking Engineer - CCIE 3440 Read TMBG List - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org, www.tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19980512101048.007401ec@postoffice.brown.edu> Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 10:10:48 -0400 From: Sara P Grady Subject: TMBG: Re: PETNAME Hmm, well...a lot of songs have significance to me... Ana Ng: Pretty much every line defines my relationship with a guy in Australia. He isn't my exact antipode, but the song expresses a lot quite succinctly. New York City: I met someone in the springtime at a rock-and-roll show...and you can guess how the rest of the plot goes. :-) For Science: My best friend and I used to sing this all the time with each other...he sang the guy part, and I sang the girl part. He lives kind of far away so when I hear the song it reminds me of him. Dead: I was at a summer program after 7th grade (geek camp, actually...I bet some of you may have done the program. CTY?), and all my friend did was play Flood...I was sad because it was my first time away from home and Dead fit the mood nicely. I'm sure there's lots more, but that's a nice little peek into my life... Sara ><,'> **************************** Scuba@brown.edu Nekton@tmbg.org "Every seashell has a story to tell if you're listening." -TMBG ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9805121424.AA27765@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: quirky Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 10:24:50 -0400 (EDT) > Eh? What's so terrible about the word "quirky"? While most of us on this list would consider it to mean different or unique, the great wide world often connotates "quirky" to mean "odd" or "peculiar", "eccentric" or "queer". These generally have bad connotations and make them out to be just plain strange or weird. While most of these words would only point TMBG to be a creative and original band the connotations can really come back to haunt them in the end. -Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35586815.FEAD736C@pop3.concentric.net> Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 10:17:42 -0500 From: AnaNg718@concentric.net Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell is up there! KdsInThHal wrote: > ......his smart, subversive persona has made > him something of a cult sex symbol among those in the know. Sex symbol? You damn skippy!!!!!!! Anastasia ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35586E8B.3E72632B@pop3.concentric.net> Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 10:45:15 -0500 From: AnaNg718@concentric.net Subject: TMBG: Thanks and recognition My fello happy mutants; First of all, I wanted to thank you all for your kind offers to scan some photos of me for a listie- photo page. Dylan, it's in the mail. Also, I gotta crow....because Linnell rules!!!!! Yay!!!!! [Anastasia gets out her pom-poms] He's so groovy, he's so swell Let's hear one for John Linnell!!!!! Yaayyyyy!!!!!! Flansy rules too!! Sorry, just had to. Anastasia [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19980512000025.0072c70c@mailbox.ucdavis.edu> Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 09:03:57 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: NON-TMBG: Rockapella >> >Some of you might remember Barry Carl as the bass-vocalist from the now- >> >defunct Rockapella. >> Waitaminit. Rockapella split up? Since when? There's nothing about a >> breakup on their web site. Where are you getting your information? >I believe they've been broken up for quite a while, maybe a year? I >don't know much about them but it seems like it's been a while since >they've been together. Ok, somewhere, somehow, wires are crossed. I saw Rockapella live back in November (good show, too--SF, Great American Music Hall, wonder why this venue isn't better-known, maybe it's the bad neighborhood... but I digress), so I know they haven't been broken up for a year. I was on rec.music.a-capella until just a couple of weeks ago, and Jeff, at least, posts there semi-regularly. Rockapella is big juju in the a capella world; if they'd split up, news of it would have been all over rmac. Perhaps you're thinking of Sean Altman's departure? They got a new lead tenor (Kevin Wright, and boy can he pump out the high notes), that's all. Their website still lists upcoming concerts, and they just put out a new album late last year. AFAIK they're alive and kickin'. --nicole the wonder nerd *** "Electrons are our friends, right?"--my physics TA Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn ICQ #11984736 Public PGP key at http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn/key.html ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <005201bd7dc1$383b1c40$1f331ed1@refund.rcn.nmt.edu> From: "Refund" Subject: TMBG: CD-rippers, and MP3 compressors Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 10:12:49 -0600 Ok ok ok...sorry it's taken so long for me to get back to the few of you who wanted cd ripping and/or mp3 compressing programs. I have just recently gotten my computer back up and running though. If you wanted the programs, please email me and I'll send them. Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the state of New Mexico. And whoever said there's nothing new under the sun never thought much about individuals, but he's dead anyway. The Refreshments -- Down Together. P.S. Visit www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Amphitheatre/5550/ The first Julie Plug tribute page in HISTORY!!! :0) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <35588ebf6fdb002@garnet.tc.umn.edu> Subject: TMBG: She Had a Hotel Falsetto Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 13:02:39 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts So this is the message I sent the last two times this subject came up. I'm still fairly confident in my position, despite the info-club notes relating to HCISLAG. %% Chris Bongaarts %% Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu %% http://umn.edu/~cab %% U of Minnesota %% CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) %% Stop Plate Tectonics! ---- Subject: Re: Back to Skull To: coon@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Matthew Coon) Date: Wed, 11 Jan 1995 23:36:24 -0600 (CST) Cc: they-might-be@gnu.ai.mit.edu From: Chris Bongaarts [...Friendly banter with m@t coon elided...] After further review, I posit thusly: (L and F denote Linnel, and Flansburgh, respectively) L: Night time lady, she says "Maybe," in the all-night laundromat. "Wait one minute! I have seen her - she's a billionaire." She was a Hotel Detective, but now she's gotten promoted. I don't think it was the money; she didn't care about expensive things, no pearls or furs or fancy cars or diamond rings. She was a Hotel Detective, but now she's better connected. She didn't have to change anything, just the stencil on her window. She used to be quite a lady; she drove the underworld crazy, But now she goes insane in her way when it suits her occupation. She read that motel directive - it told her she was defective(?) I guess she found an easier way up the ladder and she took it. Now that lady is running the world. F: Is she lonely? She's the only girl in this back-alleyway. Both: Will she shoot you? She won't have to - you're already dead. F: She was a Hotel Detective, but now she's gotten promoted. I don't think it was the money; she didn't care about expensive things, no pearls or furs or fancy cars or diamond rings. L: She was a Hotel Detective, but now she's better connected. She didn't have to change anything, just the stencil on her window. She used to be quite a lady; she drove the underworld crazy, But now she goes insane in her way when it suits her occupation. She read that motel directive - it told her she was defective(?) I guess she found an easier way up the ladder and she took it. Now that lady is running the world. Note that I have Linnell singing the first falsetto part, and Flansburgh singing the second. Listen closely; they actually sound fairly different (Linnell's distinct vibrato texture shines thru in the first, while the second has other tradionally Flansburghini(?)an elements.) Note also that Flans sings the beginning of the second verse before being supplanted by Linnell on lead. I'd like to hear more opinions on this matter. So I guess we're BOTH right, m@t (and even, ah well.) [...old sig deleted due to datedness...] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980512181224.20120.rocketmail@send1c.yahoomail.com> Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 11:12:24 -0700 (PDT) From: Nick Janssen Subject: TMBG: Istanbul/petname If I had a pet pitbull I would name it Istanbul...Thank you. Nick _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980512210945.00973a10@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 16:09:45 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: PETNAME At 05:58 PM 5/11/98 +0000, Josh Morgan wrote: >Cajun Gram wrote: >>to him. C'mon, we've all felt that way, right? > >Sorry man, can't say that i have, cuz unlike the "pathetic lonely person" >you play on t.v., i'm the real article who, despite umpteen attempts, has >never been in a relationship in the first place, let alone fell out of love >and left feeling vengeful. my world seems to be stuck in an endless loop >where every girl i meet tells me "Don't lets start" > I'm the real deal too. Except I've fallne in love, many a times, but the girls never know it, so hey my lifes depressing. LDB *Not really depressed, just annoyed. -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: <23d083b3.3558bccd@aol.com> Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 17:19:00 EDT Subject: Re: Re: TMBG: Re: PETNAME In a message dated 5/12/98 5:17:25 PM, LDB@tmbg.org wrote: >> >>Sorry man, can't say that i have, cuz unlike the "pathetic lonely person" >>you play on t.v., i'm the real article who, despite umpteen attempts, has >>never been in a relationship in the first place, let alone fell out of love >>and left feeling vengeful. my world seems to be stuck in an endless loop >>where every girl i meet tells me "Don't lets start" >> >I'm the real deal too. Except I've fallne in love, many a times, but the >girls never know it, so hey my lifes depressing. > >LDB *Not really depressed, just annoyed. Guess I'm the chick version of you guys hey? ;) heh heh.. eeehh.. sarah ------------------------------ From: filthyscarecrow@webtv.net Message-Id: <199805122120.OAA14878@mailtod-152.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 16:20:17 -0500 Subject: TMBG: All-Movie Guide --WebTV-Mail-385030751-4684 Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; CHARSET=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7BIT Can someone explain this? " But we were expressin' ourselves!" -Flansy OH NO POP IS DEAD "most cartoons aren't broadcast live; it's a terrible strain on the animator's wrist" --WebTV-Mail-385030751-4684 X-URL-Title: All-Movie Guide Content-Disposition: INLINE Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; CHARSET=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7BIT http://205.186.189.2/cg/avg.exe?sql=2P_IDP|70495 --WebTV-Mail-385030751-4684-- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 17:41:26 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <3.0.16.19980512173919.32ff0828@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu> From: Harry Subject: Re: Re: TMBG: Re: PETNAME At 05:19 PM 5/12/98 -0400, you wrote: > >In a message dated 5/12/98 5:17:25 PM, LDB@tmbg.org wrote: > >>> >>>Sorry man, can't say that i have, cuz unlike the "pathetic lonely person" >>>you play on t.v., i'm the real article who, despite umpteen attempts, has >>>never been in a relationship in the first place, let alone fell out of love >>>and left feeling vengeful. my world seems to be stuck in an endless loop >>>where every girl i meet tells me "Don't lets start" >>> >>I'm the real deal too. Except I've fallne in love, many a times, but the >>girls never know it, so hey my lifes depressing. >> >>LDB *Not really depressed, just annoyed. > >Guess I'm the chick version of you guys hey? ;) >heh heh.. eeehh.. > >sarah I was the stereotype geek when I was younger. Now I'm more of a "geek incognito". Either way, all things pass with time and the playing field is definately better for those that are intelligent and eccentric in the adult world than it is in the cruel, cruel confines of public education. Hair Knight "There's a place for amatuers who love Knight.49@osu.edu their poetry - It's just across from Justahobby@tmbg.org the sign that says, 'Pros Only'" http://members.tripod.com/~jahobby -They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980512145154.006a1c74@pop.ben2.ucla.edu> Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 14:51:54 +0000 From: Josh Morgan Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: PETNAME >I'm the real deal too. Except I've fallne in love, many a times, but the >girls never know it, so hey my lifes depressing. > >LDB *Not really depressed, just annoyed. After missing opportunities early on, i vowed to ALWAYS let them know... can't say rejection's much comfort, but at least i don't have anymore regrets , no more "woulda, coulda, shoulda"s. wait that's not true, cuz recently i fell for the girl down the hall and i told her, but it totally F@#$ed sh*t up cuz she's always around and it's really awkward... oh well forever lamenting, josh ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3558F8E1.258C@fuse.net> Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 18:35:29 -0700 From: jays your one-paged dictionary Organization: dial-a-song! 718-287-6962, narrrrrrrrr! Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: PETNAME KdsInThHal wrote: > > In a message dated 5/12/98 5:17:25 PM, LDB@tmbg.org wrote: > > >> > >>Sorry man, can't say that i have, cuz unlike the "pathetic lonely person" > >>you play on t.v., i'm the real article who, despite umpteen attempts, has > >>never been in a relationship in the first place, let alone fell out of love > >>and left feeling vengeful. my world seems to be stuck in an endless loop > >>where every girl i meet tells me "Don't lets start" > >> > >I'm the real deal too. Except I've fallne in love, many a times, but the > >girls never know it, so hey my lifes depressing. > > > >LDB *Not really depressed, just annoyed. > > Guess I'm the chick version of you guys hey? ;) > heh heh.. eeehh.. > > sarah bah, you all have lives, and good ones, too, put in comparison with my own. not only has never a female acknowledged my affections, but no one existing seperate to this world of bandwidth--not male nor female--has ever joined with me in some bond of friendship, romantic or otherwise. i'm the archtypical lonely, depressed slacker; a living green day song, if you will. revel in your differences to me, for they constitute all that is good about the world. :) peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jay the phonebook, formerly jayisneato, formerly abjari, formerly james, formerly jimmy, formerly a nameless embryo. -- jayhc, surfing with the alien. e-mail: sirjamez@fuse.net, phonebook@tmbg.org aol im: SaturnChrd, PhoneBookJ irc: PhoneBook "and sadly the cross-eyed bear's been put to sleep behind the stairs, and his shoes are laced with irony." --tmbg and on the seventh day of rest, god said "let there be good music!" and john linnell came to life from the earth, and god was happy. then, deciding linnell needed an animal companion, he said "let there be flansburgh!" and flansie there was, and god wasn't quite so happy, but said screw it and left things well enough alone. -- ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: <3c19b6d7.3558cf08@aol.com> Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 18:36:55 EDT Subject: Re: Re: TMBG: Re: PETNAME In a message dated 5/12/98 6:33:28 PM, sirjamez@fuse.net wrote: >no one >existing seperate to this world of bandwidth--not male nor female--has >ever joined with me in some bond of friendship, romantic or otherwise. heh.. I agree here too. well at least since... 6th grade .. ;) just acquantences (in "real life"), but ones I'd rather avoid.. sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3558FA72.3BDA@fuse.net> Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 18:42:10 -0700 From: jays your one-paged dictionary Organization: dial-a-song! 718-287-6962, narrrrrrrrr! Subject: non-TMBG: Re: TMBG: Re: PETNAME jays your one-paged dictionary wrote: > "and sadly the cross-eyed bear's been > put to sleep behind the stairs, > and his shoes are laced with irony." > > --tmbg > > and on the seventh day of rest, god said "let there be good music!" > and john linnell came to life from the earth, and god was happy. > then, deciding linnell needed an animal companion, he said "let there > be flansburgh!" and flansie there was, and god wasn't quite so happy, > but said screw it and left things well enough alone. > > -- ignore the irony of quoting a flansie song then proceeding to diss him directly afterward. "wise jay" is a contradiction in terms. peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jay. ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <199805122255.RAA06880@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: She Had a Hotel Falsetto Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 17:55:41 -0500 (EST) Chris Bongaarts writes: > > Note that I have Linnell singing the first falsetto part, and > Flansburgh singing the second. Listen closely; they actually sound > fairly different (Linnell's distinct vibrato texture shines thru in > the first, while the second has other tradionally Flansburghini(?)an > elements.) Note also that Flans sings the beginning of the second > verse before being supplanted by Linnell on lead. I'd like to hear > more opinions on this matter. > > So I guess we're BOTH right, m@t > But perhaps some of us are more right than others...:-) m@t (who is still not convinced, but is happy to have an excuse to go home tonight and put on Back To Skull!) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3558E4D6.3FDF@stlnet.com> Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 18:10:08 -0600 From: Lynne Subject: Non-TMBG: Double Dong? Hey. Can anyone recommend or tell me a little about Double Dong? I figured that if they toured with They, then they must be at least decent... that and their record label is selling their CD for $10.00 on their web site (http://www.lunch.com/lunch/), which is pretty cheap. So, if someone could tell me something about them, or if they even have an Mp3 or Real Audio file or something, please contact me! Thanks. Chris chrisl@tmbg.org "Rewind the tape, get me back in the mix...." -The Urge ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980512164935.0069f994@pop.ben2.ucla.edu> Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 16:49:35 +0000 From: Josh Morgan Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: PETNAME jays your one-paged dictionary wrote: >bah, you all have lives, and good ones, too, put in comparison with my >own. not only has never a female acknowledged my affections, but no one >existing seperate to this world of bandwidth--not male nor female--has >ever joined with me in some bond of friendship, romantic or otherwise. >i'm the archtypical lonely, depressed slacker; a living green day song, >if you will. > >revel in your differences to me, for they constitute all that is good >about the world. :) Know that you have friends here among the list... You fellow TMBG freak, josh ------------------------------ Message-ID: <355901AD.145A@stlnet.com> Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 20:13:16 -0600 From: Lynne Subject: Kinda TMBG: A Website Hey. If the person who made this site is on the list I apologize. The site is cool except for the song stuff at the bottom(when you click on the album cover.), which made me laugh. I'll let all of you check it out for yourselves. Go to: http://www.geocities.com/EnchantedForest/3460/ And go to the bottom where you click on the album cover. Thanks. Chris chrisl@tmbg.org "Puppet Head is a song about a puppet head. (I wonder how I figured that one out.) It is pretty good, with it's ups and downs." -The guy who made the above web site ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: <2428c10f.3558f822@aol.com> Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 21:32:17 EDT Subject: Re: Kinda TMBG: A Website In a message dated 5/12/98 9:07:26 PM, chrisl@stlnet.com wrote: >Hey. > >If the person who made this site is on the list I apologize. >The site is cool except for the song stuff at the bottom(when you click >on the album cover.), which made me laugh. > >I'll let all of you check it out for yourselves. > >Go to: > >http://www.geocities.com/EnchantedForest/3460/ Ok, I was all ready to defend this person until I saw the site. I think it's safe in saying they *aren't* on the list.. or else I'm suure we'd know it.. (Spinelli, anyone?) "12.Youth Culture Killed My Dog is a weird song. (like most others on this cd.) It took me a while to figure out what he said without looking at the liricks, I thought he said "Your brother killed my dog"." I'm guessing it's by a ...young..person. Or a slow one. Bashing Micellaneous T? But only because they've listened to it once?? ludicrous! *weird* sarah http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 21:35:22 EDT Subject: TMBG: I'm sorry. this is an addition to my last post.. Worst Song's Best Points Absolutley Bill's Mood-Bill is a cool name. The song is named Bill. *thud* ------------------------------ From: Monotreme3 Message-ID: <9052d24f.35590646@aol.com> Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 22:32:37 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: PETNAME In a message dated 5/12/98 6:33:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time, sirjamez@fuse.net writes: > bah, you all have lives, and good ones, too, put in comparison with my > own. not only has never a female acknowledged my affections, but no one > existing seperate to this world of bandwidth--not male nor female--has > ever joined with me in some bond of friendship, romantic or otherwise. > i'm the archtypical lonely, depressed slacker; a living green day song, > if you will. > > revel in your differences to me, for they constitute all that is good > about the world. :) > > peace, love, and good happiness stuff, You can't be serious. I mean... come on. You can't be serious. -Carey "Don't sweat is, son. We're just a couple of guys doing our part to ruin the world... one person at a time." ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35593316.D73@fuse.net> Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 22:43:50 -0700 From: jays your one-paged dictionary Organization: dial-a-song! 718-287-6962, narrrrrrrrr! Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: PETNAME > You can't be serious. I mean... come on. You can't be serious. > -Carey sure, i'm prone to dramatic exaggeration, but who isn't? :P those are the facts, ma'am. or sir. one of the two. peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jay. ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 22:48:46 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Double Dong? Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 12-May-98 Non-TMBG: Double Dong? by Lynne@stlnet.com > Can anyone recommend or tell me a little about Double Dong? > I figured that if they toured with They, then they must be at least > decent... yes, I can recommend that you stay far, far away from any of their performances, recordings, or any other appearances. They are, by far, the *worst* 'band' I have ever had the misfortune of seeing open for TMBG (even worse than Goatboy). They're fun for about 5 minutes. Then the novelty wears off. Quickly. The one nice thing is that they aren't loud, so if you have earplugs, you can pretty much block them out completely. Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Everything sticks until it goes away, * This space inadvertently And the truth is we don't know anything." -TMBG * left blank. ------------------------------ From: Monotreme3 Message-ID: <9198e65.355909da@aol.com> Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 22:47:53 EDT Subject: Fwd: TMBG: Re: PETNAME [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (message/rfc822)] ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 20:00:15 -0700 (PDT) From: Alon Yaari Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Double Dong? Message-ID: I saw TMBG in Boston recently and I more or less missed the opening act, but what I did see of it was these really wierd dancing kind of guys who looked like someone just handed the mike to them and they were trying to find something interesting to do. Was that double dong? By the way, they were playing the Avalon Ballroom as some sort of gifts to their moms, who were in the audience. They had a section set aside for both their families to enjoy the show from. It's wierd to go to a show where the band keeps apologizing to their mom... -Yar ------------------------------ From: Superman25 Message-ID: <80d786c7.3559113f@aol.com> Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 23:19:26 EDT Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Double Dong? hi. << yes, I can recommend that you stay far, far away from any of their performances, recordings, or any other appearances. They are, by far, the *worst* 'band' I have ever had the misfortune of seeing open for TMBG (even worse than Goatboy). >> does anyone recall this god awful band They toured with called the martinis? this was around Dce of 95 when i saw this group. oh lordy, did they stink. they were a mix of police guitaur chords and cranberries-type vocals. to me they set the standard for crappy opening acts. i've yet to see double dong though. adam schaaf, who expects the audience to be just as rowdy and unaccepting of his band when they are the opening act. ------------------------------ From: Cajun Gram Message-ID: Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 23:20:40 EDT Subject: Re: Kinda TMBG: A Website Not to intend any disrespect to the creator of the webpage, because all TMBG fans are beautiful people with beautiful ideas, but I noticed that the creator of this web masterpiece has a fondness for the word "weird" when describing They Might Be Giants music. These are just the ones from The Pink Album... 32 Footsteps is a weird song. The sound effects are crazy, and the words really don't make any sense. Rabid Child is also a song filled with weirdess.. Hotel Detective is a good song. It sounds weird when he goes, "AHHHHHHHHHH", in the middle. Youth Culture Killed My Dog is a weird song. (like most others on this cd.) Chess Piece Face is a classic. It is really good and is known well by all true TMBG fans. It's pretty weird though, how can you make a face out of chess pieces? ----------------- Alienation's for the Rich is an ok song. The only parts I really don't like are when he says, "I'm feelin' a wooper (or somthing like that) every day". That bit just puzzled me, when do They talk about woopers in Alienation's For The Rich? Oh, buy the way, I'm not a mean spirited person who hunts down others' faults and exploits them for my own comical purposes... I just posted these because I found his use of the weird, well, a bit weird... Please don't hate me or think I'm mean or anything, because I'm not. I'm really dumb too! Remember that post abou ho chords/lyrics at tmbg.org? That was stupid! And until I got Then:TEY and looked at the words, I would have bet my life that in DLS they say D world destruction, O-ver and overture, N do I need apostrophe T need this dumptruck, and that's really dumb! So, please allow this portion of self humiliation cancel out any meaness of evil you see in me, please? Graham "What the hell is a wooper?" Amsden Sorry... I just had to put that but about the wooper ------------------------------ From: Cajun Gram Message-ID: Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 23:25:08 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: jim gets waaaaay too personal for comfort (was: PETNAME) In a message dated 98-05-12 23:02:37 EDT, you write: << First of all, to Jim.. Secondly, does anyone tend to see "They'll Need a Crane" as a somewhat awkward and painful, yet friendly end to a relationship? I mean, it's horribly sad, but it's not vicious, just sort of melancholy... And yeah, it ran through my head off and on for months, as an ex and I struggled to figure out if things were salvagable or if we'd best just let them be... It's like, I see it as being about two people who know that their relationship is dissolving, and know that maybe it's best if they just end it, but they still care about each other enough to make it terribly hard. Like they almost need something earth-shattering (a metal ball hung from a chain?) to really drive home the fact that things aren't ever going to be the way they were. "To take the house he built for her apart", so to speak. >> Amen... Graham ------------------------------ Message-ID: <355945BD.4998@fuse.net> Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 00:03:25 -0700 From: jays your one-paged dictionary Organization: dial-a-song! 718-287-6962, narrrrrrrrr! Subject: Re: Fwd: TMBG: Re: PETNAME Monotreme3 wrote: > Dramatic exaggeration? Hm. I'd have to say more like being kinda pathetic and > feeling sorry for yourself. I'm assuming your life isn't really like that, so > I hope I'm not insulting you. I mean... I have connections to these songs, > too. But no one's life is really as bad as that. And if it is then I'd say do > something about it. Don't complain to some internet people. > -Carey hm. my sole intent was not to wallow in self pity, mindeth thee. i jumped upon the bandwagon as it rolled, taking it several steps further ... dramatic hyperbole might be a bit of an understatement, yes, but i figured, as others spoke of being pathetic and lonely, that i should join them, as that's what i do best. speak of being pathetic and lonely, that is. :) if i had a piece of tin foil for all the times i've heard "do something about it," the size of the resulting ball would rival the sun; some things aren't so easy. in any event, sympathy is one thing i don't need ... i realized long ago the ill effects of seeking it too often. sometimes it's nice to revert to old habits. they die so hard. jay, who's so pitiful he had to have his father drive him to the colombus show a few weeks ago.. heh. -- jayhc, feeling sick from all that helium he sucked earlier. e-mail: sirjamez@fuse.net, phonebook@tmbg.org aol im: SaturnChrd, PhoneBookJ irc: PhoneBook "and sadly the cross-eyed bear's been put to sleep behind the stairs, and his shoes are laced with irony." --tmbg and on the seventh day of rest, god said "let there be good music!" and john linnell came to life from the earth, and god was happy. then, deciding linnell needed an animal companion, he said "let there be flansburgh!" and flansie there was, and god wasn't quite so happy, but said screw it and left things well enough alone. -- ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 13 May 98 00:12 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: Fwd: TMBG: Re: PETNAME But no one's life is really as bad as that. And if it is then I'd say do > something about it. Don't complain to some internet people. > -Carey Gee, that was really nice... Hey Jay, feel free to complain about your life to me anytime; just know that I'll do the same. ;) Oh, and Carey, I *do* know some people whose lives are almost as bad as that, or at least people who *think* their lives are that bad, which is basically the same thing 'cause I know that when you feel like your life is crap, it is.. but since most of these people are my friends, it's not so bad.. Us lonely people have to stick together. :) Kirs (not being especially fascetious) -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "You think you're so funny, but looks aren't everything." - Lincoln "Wish You Were Dead" Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 22:41:32 -0600 Subject: TMBG: Re: PETNAME Message-ID: <19980512.224136.11334.3.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) DISCLAIMER: this is going to sound like a reeally long cheap plug for IRC (and more specifically #tmbg) and yes, i know i'm not the person to do this since well... i tend not to be on there a lot... but... >And if it is then I'd >say do >something about it. Don't complain to some internet people. okay, i told myself i wouldn't post on this thread but you've inspired me... many of you may have heard of the Efnet channel #tmbg on IRC... a place i have found to be extremely cool to just stop by and say "hi" in or to spend a lot of time in... and i must say that there are a lot of seriously cool people out there... people that i can talk to when i reeally don't feel like talking to all of my "real" life friends. these are people that don't care if you talk about your problems or if you talk about tmbg... they're there to listen (cuz well... there's just not a lot more you can do via the computer). And if you go in there at all regularly (i'm talking more than once and more specifically when everyone isn't idling) you do get to know really cool people that tend to be there to listen no matter what... internet people can be just as good if not better than "real" friends at times. i think sarah coined it pretty damn well: > just acquantences (in "real life"), >but ones I'd rather avoid.. there are so many times when i just get sick of my "real" life friends (yeah, get some new ones right? no, i do enjoy being around them... i don't mean to be dissin my buds (i love you guys!) but i get really impatient with a lot of them so...). With internet people, there are no biases people are just there to read some text and reply with their own personal feelings regarding it. and if they don't want to talk... you hit /ignore and the people just dissappear... No one cares if you tell them you're a "893 lb. 3ft. tall trisexual transvestite" or if you tell them you look exactly like taylor hanson. because to them, all you are is times roman or Baskerville (or whatever their font is). but unlike, for example, a giga-pet... you're text with feelings... and just maybe, the person on the other end can relate to what you're going through... and if not, who cares you can typically find something to talk about (that's why itend to join #tmbg and not #hanson or something)... anyways, to sum up a long post about very little... even though i'm not on there a lot... i have been able to get to know a lot of the characters of the people on this list... or at least who they want to be (the internet is an excellent place to lie...). To a lot of you (sorry to use you guys as the examples) TDK is just a guy with a really cool (excellent) page, or leo is just the guy at www.tmbg.org/, but you could ask anyone in IRC and they could tell you something cool (or funny) about anyone that goes in there... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::no longer must i be compulsive and run 7 miles any time i happen to have a problem... i've got IRC!!::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 22:52:53 -0600 Subject: TMBG: re: my last post Message-ID: <19980512.225258.11334.4.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) hEy HEy it's been brought to my attention that people that just read my last post have now thought i was agreeing with some of you etc... i would just like to say that, i am extremely happy with my life... i think of myself as a VERY healthy person in that regards (or perhaps i'm just the opposite and oblivious)... i do love my friends and family and i'm sure they feel the same way about me :) i also think of all of you on this mailing list as somewhat interesting people (even if some of you are "dorks") just relax, live life and you know what... throw on some TMBG and try to think of what you do have... what you lack... and how you can get it... take some risks... smile. :) you may just make a new friend... now i don't want to induce any suicides or anything here so i'm gonna sum this up by telling you right now that you've got it better than someone out there... you may have to give some things up but in the end you may make yourself happier... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::gettin a little too sentimental here::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #6-13 *****************************