Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #6-15 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 6, Number 15 Friday, 15 May 1998 Today's Topics: NON-TMBG: WEEN TMBG: Equality / NON-TMBG: I had the strangest dream TMBG: essential rock TMBG: MusicHound sez... Re: TMBG: essential rock Non-TMBG: Rippers Re: TMBG: MusicHound sez... Re: TMBG: they'll need a crane... Re: TMBG: essential rock TMBG: MusicHound review + OAT TMBG: TMBG article TMBG: re: over-analyzing TMBG: Flood music Re: NON-TMBG: WEEN Re: TMBG: re: over-analyzing Non-TMBG:to all lonely people... TMBG: interps... TMBG: ween answer TMBG: That girl? Re: TMBG: That girl? Re: TMBG: That girl? Re: TMBG: That girl? Re: TMBG: That girl? Re: TMBG: interps... Re: TMBG: That girl? TMBG: Mike Leffel? Re: TMBG: That girl?/ Non TMBG: Tori Amos Re: TMBG: Mike Leffel? Re: TMBG: Mike Leffel? Re: TMBG: Mike Leffel? Re: TMBG: Mike Leffel? Re: TMBG: That girl?/ Non TMBG: Tori Amos Non-ish TMBG: Seinfeld Non-TMBG: Mike Leffel? TMBG: dr. spock's backup band Re: TMBG: dr. spock's backup band Re: TMBG: That girl? Re: TMBG: Photos of Listees Re: Non-TMBG: Mike Leffel? Re: Non-TMBG: Mike Leffel? And not even 100% Leffel. Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980514004315.006a3470@pop.ben2.ucla.edu> Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 00:43:15 +0000 From: Josh Morgan Subject: NON-TMBG: WEEN > Added bonus question (the answer to which I learned from this >book): What is the name of the ultra-rare FIRST Ween album? (And where >can I get it!!!) Ween's first album is aptly titled "GOD WEEN SATAN". I got it at Sam Goody which usually carries "rare" stuff surprisingly. That's where i got my tmbg singles (back to skull, WDTSS?, guitar, SEXXY) josh ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199805140842.EAA22455@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 03:44:36 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: TMBG: Equality / NON-TMBG: I had the strangest dream TMBG content: Flansburgh and Linnell are of equal talent, are equally valuable to the group, and how does it benefit us to discuss which one is better? Non-TMBG content: I had a dream this afternoon in which I was using a Chinese toothpaste that was elegant and solitary. As I recall it was the same color as baby oil. I opened my eyes at the time and reported this fact to the room (that I was dreaming of an elegant and solitary Chinese toothpaste) because even asleep I realized what a truly surreal event it was. Shamoo, Mitch A man said to the universe: "Sir, I exist!" "However," replied the universe, "The fact has not created in me a sense of obligation." - Stephen Crane ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 04:48:04 -0500 (EST) From: Nub Subject: TMBG: essential rock Message-id: i remember reading a while back the tmbg review in that essential rock albums book and thinking that i pretty much agreed with the guy. i mean compared to most reviews i've read of tmbg, he was right on the money (for one, he thinks they are good, which is the correct answer). so here's what i have to say in his defense: first, john henry is the worst of their albums, hands down. i'm not saying it's bad, but i just think it's obviously not up to par. i think they've pretty much redeemed themselves with FS, though i'm still not convinced that the "real" band sound is anything but a ploy to make them sound more radio-friendly. if anything, i think the band limits them - before, they were afraid of nothing, musically, and the diversity of their music was a total reflection of that. now... i don't know, it all just sounds too similar. i mean on earlier albums, apart from their voices, it's like each song could have been made by an entirely different band. now they've sort of created a "sound" and i just don't think that's at all necessary, though i'm not saying the music is necessarily bad, either. whatever, i'm not saying anything - moving on... there's nothing wrong with tmbg music being called silly. it is silly. i've been reading through this digest thinking what freaks you guys all are. this is a good thing, and it is a true testament to the music of the band, which is serious music (ie. absolutely melodic) which is not meant to be taken too seriously. i'm mostly talking about the lyrics here. when you get all into the deconstruction and analysis of "mr. me" or whatever, i find it ridiculous, becuause these lyrics are obviously not meant to be placed under such scrutiny. the johns have said it themselves, and songs like "spiralling shape" are perfect examples of how the lyrics are oftentimes completely ambiguous, and ultimately irrelevant. what the reviewer has really nailed, i think, is how tmbg can put real emotion into their songs with, let's face it, silly lyrics. and it's great because of that. then agian, i've never really listened to lyrics at all. if they're good, they're icing on the cake. i truly hope that none of you listen to tmbg solely for the lyrics, because i think that would just be missing the point. granted, there are some songs, mostly from flood and later, whose lyrics require thought because they are incredibly clever, and are supposed to require thought - birdhouse, for one, and dinner bell. but these are way more obvious than "nothin's gonna change my clothes" being about nuclear holocaust. come to think of it, maybe this isn't the book i read. there's another book that provides a sort of general overview of just about every band in existence, along with a short album critique. i don't know what it was called, but it had a great tmbg section. they were more specific about why JH is just not as good as previous albums. okay, i need to end this. i'm sitting here in the control room of the 4-meter telescope on Kitt Peak, Arizona, and the clouds have finally cleared and we're going to open up... woo-hoo! by the way, this telescope is big-ass. ben ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9805141335.AA28978@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: MusicHound sez... Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 09:35:13 -0400 (EDT) > Added bonus question (the answer to which I learned from this > book): What is the name of the ultra-rare FIRST Ween album? (And where > can I get it!!!) Was God Ween Satan rereleased in the last year or so? I've seen that album a number of times at different record shops so it doesn't seem very rare at all to me, although maybe a little rarer than their later albums perhaps. Tanks, Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980514134957.19547.rocketmail@web4.rocketmail.com> Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 06:49:57 -0700 (PDT) From: Danielle Gaither Subject: Re: TMBG: essential rock ---Nub wrote: > pretty much redeemed themselves with FS, though i'm still not convinced > that the "real" band sound is anything but a ploy to make them sound more > radio-friendly. if anything, i think the band limits them - before, they If such a ploy exists, it has failed miserably. I don't think I've ever heard anything post-Flood on the radio. They really need to work harder at selling out if that's what they're trying to do. > were afraid of nothing, musically, and the diversity of their music was a > total reflection of that. now... i don't know, it all just sounds too > similar. It does? "Till My Head Falls Off" and "Pet Name," for instance, sound pretty disparate to me. > i mean on earlier albums, apart from their voices, it's like each > song could have been made by an entirely different band. now they've sort > of created a "sound" and i just don't think that's at all necessary, See previous comment. As far as the voices thing goes, some people claim they can't tell them apart (although I can). > there's nothing wrong with tmbg music being called silly. it is silly. True, their music is silly, but I think what most fans are afraid of is their music being pigeonholed as a novelty act when it does contain serious artistic merit. > like "spiralling shape" are perfect examples of how the lyrics are > oftentimes completely ambiguous, and ultimately irrelevant. what the Yes, some of us are prone to over-analysis. > then agian, i've never really listened to lyrics at all. if they're good, > they're icing on the cake. i truly hope that none of you listen to tmbg While the music is great, I think you're missing out if you don't pay attention to the lyrics. > solely for the lyrics, because i think that would just be missing the > point. granted, there are some songs, mostly from flood and later, whose While I don't listen solely for the lyrics, I don't think a lot of their songs would be nearly as good without the lyrics they have. For example, I think the lyrics are the only thing that make "Puppet Head" a tolerable song. > lyrics require thought because they are incredibly clever, and are > supposed to require thought - birdhouse, for one, and dinner bell. but If I were to pick the most thought-provoking They songs, I wouldn't pick these. As far as only their stuff from Flood and later being clever, again, I'll have to disagree. "The World's Address," "Youth Culture Killed My Dog," and "Kiss Me, Son of God" are shining examples of cleverness, in my hopelessly arrogant opinion. "Ana Ng," to me, is one of the saddest songs ever written. > these are way more obvious than "nothin's gonna change my clothes" being > about nuclear holocaust. Really? I never interpreted the song that way. Although you do raise an interesting point about people going really overboard with interps. Those of you who come up with them, I hope they're spur-of-the-moment kinds of things and that you don't lose sleep hashing them out. Other than that, interpret away! BTW, I interpret "Nothing's Gonna Change My Clothes" as being about someone so set in his ways that he doesn't change them even when he should. Well, I think I've rambled long enough, so I'll shut up now. Danielle, inspector over the mine === URL: http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/1054/index.html "Remember me? I'm not married, I don't have any kids, and I'd blow your head off if someone paid me enough." --from _Grosse Pointe Blank_ _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19980514153031.007b3d30@mail-in.keme.net> Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 15:30:31 +0100 From: Squidgy Colin Subject: Non-TMBG: Rippers Has anyone got a quite reliable CD ripper that they could mail me? If not, a converter will do nicely. Although ripping is not the most leagal thing on this wonder-filled world, it is in a good cause. I intend to send some of my e-mail peeps some MP3s of TMBG and alike so that they may be tempted into giant-head-hood. Cheers, --Cols, ~THE ELLESLEYS~ (of Colchester-Essex-UK) Home Page: Http://www.keme.co.uk/~thelimes/ TMBG page: Http://members.xoom.com/uncle_squid/Xoom/ -------------------===============------------------ "I know some day I will be, everything that I dreamed I'd be and when I live the life I please I will be a free man" -The Leve11ers "The Boat Man" -------------------===============------------------ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980514104813.006a4938@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 10:48:13 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: MusicHound sez... At 11:56 PM 5/13/98 -0400, you wrote: > Added bonus question (the answer to which I learned from this >book): What is the name of the ultra-rare FIRST Ween album? (And where >can I get it!!!) It's "The Live Brain Wedgie", isn't it, from '88 on Bird O'Pray Records? www.ween.org says it's their first official album, although they have a couple of tapes released before that. I think only 500 were pressed, and I've heard that you can still find it in some parts of Pennsylvania. There are a lot of people out there trading copies of it...an AltaVista search for "live brain wedgie" turned up several... You might want to search http://www.gemm.com/ for it - it seems to be down at the moment, however. -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 10:39:08 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: they'll need a crane... Message-ID: <19980514.103919.12086.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) >even after the "i'm just tired and i don't love you anymore," they're >still making plans to go see the nightmare people restaurant (that >is, they're still talking as friends) and they're still concerned >enough >about each other's feelings for a "baby, wait, i didn't mean to say >nightmare"... whoawhoawhoa.... i've always interpreted that bit of the song waay differently... like it's a one-sided relationship where the female really loves him but he's not as serious about being with her... like he's sick of seeing her but he knows that she's gonna "break" if he tells her that he doesn't love her anymore. So instead, he tells her, "I don't love you anymore" then quickly changes the subject to "there's a restaurant we should check out" but then, to make sure she doesn't just miss the whole i really don't like you bit... he adds "where the other nightmare people like to go" as if to say that if he has to stay with her even through one more meal it's gonna be as bad as a nightmare. But again, he doesn't want to hurt her anymore than absolutely necessary (just getting out of the relationship) so he adds "i mean nice people, baby wait, i didn't mean to say nightmare." referring to her first as 'baby' seems to imply that she is fragile and also that he does care for her enough to not want to add anymore pain than he already has... also saying that she is included in the category of 'nice people' just that if they stay together it would be 'nightmare people'. this whole 'theory' is kinda concluded in the end with "lad looks at other gals, gal thinks jim beam is handsomer than lad" obviously, he's already looking at other women, and she's so depressed that he's broken off their engagement ("Call off the wedding band") that she starts drinking... she's so lonely that all she can do is drown her sorrows in some good ("he isn't bad") liquor... but the whole cycle of not wanting to hurt her comes back with "nobody wants to hear that song, play that again" like no matter what he's gonna be stuck in this never-ending cycle of hurting women that love him... if none of this made any sense forgive me...i haven't slept in several days... and i quoted the lyrics off of the top of my head... "what the hell is this joan baez lyric doing in here?!?" take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::through a series of related events, i now have a broken wrist (again!) and a broken computer... *ouch*::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: essential rock Message-ID: <19980513.124844.7871.3.winningh@juno.com> From: winningh@juno.com (Winningham S. Sarah) Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 12:50:13 EDT BTW, I interpret "Nothing's Gonna Change My Clothes" as being >about >someone so set in his ways that he doesn't change them even when he >should. >Danielle, inspector over the mine > Marx never changed his clothes, he was covered in carbuncles, also some of his kids died because he would never by food... In some semi-TMBG content, us full internet access deprived folks would like to know how Flansie's Time Magazine campaign is going. -Sarah "I hope smoewhere out there the great Leffell is remembering to buy food" Winningham _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19980514095153.00733554@mailbox.ucdavis.edu> Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 09:51:59 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: MusicHound review + OAT >YOu can well imagine my surprise when they told me >someone else had that plate..I live in MONTANA, I didn't know that >anyone in montana was that cool! My theory is that just about every vanity plate is taken. My mother has a vanity plate with a (shortened) version of her very unusual first name (she is an immigrant, and her first name is unusual even in her homeland). According to the DMV she was the second or third person to ask for it! Twenty years later, and we're still scratching our heads over it. 'Course, CA is a mighty big state with lots of cars... >What exactly does the expression "Whistling in the Dark" mean? I'd >never heard it apart from the song. Really? I've heard it... it means being courageous even when you don't know what the fight quite entails... or being brave even when you're scared. (Listen to "I whistle a happy tune" from _The King And I_.) >even after the "i'm just tired and i don't love you anymore," they're >still making plans to go see the nightmare people restaurant (that >is, they're still talking as friends) and they're still concerned enough >about each other's feelings for a "baby, wait, i didn't mean to say >nightmare"... With big hugs to jim and Kristen and the other broken-hearted listees, I read this song much more pessimistically. I read it as a relationship stuck in a rut, and both people know it but neither will admit it. "Don't call me at work again. No, no, the boss still hates me. I'm just tired." Gal called Lad at work only to be rebuffed. I can just imagine Gal's answers--she asks Lad why he doesn't want to talk to her. He offers a stale, feeble excuse. She asks if something's wrong. He says he's just tired. And then--and this is the crucial part, in my view--he lets his true feelings slip. He and Gal are clinging to their relationship by sheer force of habit, and, without meaning to, Lad blurts out the ugly truth. Whether he didn't mean to say it or whether he meant to but instantly regretted it, he tries to take it back, only to slip again, only to try and patch things up again. I think it's only then that both Lad and Gal realize that there's no way back for them. To paraphrase (and probably trivialize) T.S. Eliot, "This is the way the marraige ends... not with a bang but with a whimper." >I'm probably the youngest member on this list. I am only 12. My older >sister danielle converted me in to a tmbg fan. You may know her as >Danielle,inspector over the mine. Nice to talk to all of you. A-hA! Fresh blood! :) Welcome to the list. >Don't feel too bad about your age. I'm 15, so I don't feel like a youngin' of >the list anymore... Yes, but it makes ME feel freakin' old, and I'm only 20. >WHAT TO BUY: Apollo 18 is a startling, sprawling collection. In > addition to a fine array of typically warped compositions, > there are microscopic song fragments called "Fingertips" > designed to take full advantage of your CD player's "shuffle" > mode. Huh. A18 as a first album? That's an intriguing choice. Either the man has no idea what he's talking about and picked an album at random :) (a conclusion not borne out by the rest of the review) or he's given this a fair amount of thought. Give him points for that, Mike; a man who thought of TMBG as a novelty band would probably have recommended Flood. I've always thought that the "silliness" factor in Their music is wildly overstated by music reviewers, and this guy falls prey to that, a bit, but he apparently has appreciation for and more than passing aquaintance with the music. That said, you have a point about his "I'm cool because I've heard of rare albums" fixation. Don't Let's Start is of very little interest to anyone but a collector. I'd have recommended WDTSS? instead. --nicole the wonder nerd *** "Electrons are our friends, right?"--my physics TA Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn ICQ #11984736 Public PGP key at http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn/key.html ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: "Groah, Joey S" Subject: TMBG: TMBG article Message-ID: Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 12:04:36 +0100 I ran across this article when I was searching for the New York Times home page. I always like reading TMBG interview/reviews/thingies, dated or current. http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~silverma/di/tmbg.html Joey, forgot to unsubscribe from the list and probably has mailbox overload Everything is funnier with monkeys - Evan Dorkin Joey Groah groahjs@jmu.edu ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 10:59:30 -0600 Subject: TMBG: re: over-analyzing Message-ID: <19980514.105932.12086.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) oh hey... so uhm, i deleted the message i wanted to reply to but someone said something about how we all over-analyze each of the giants songs... i'm in the process of writing a semi-thesis paper on the developmental psychology of music... (the beginning of this may not make a lot of sense as i'm to tired to try to get in to explaining it but just skip the first paragraph if your heart desires it's not all that relevant) anyways... what i've come across often times is something called a "Wundt/Berlyne curve" which basically relates to a curve that links favourability (how much someone likes something, a song in this case) on the y-axis (negative and positive) to familiarity and time (ie. how many times they have heard the song) on the x-axis. (try to imagine this cuz it will make a hell of a lot more sense if you do) as you can imagine, this ends up being what looks like an "inverted-U"... as someone first hears the song they are typically comncentrating on one aspect of it, the lyrics, the base-line... something specific such that they don't necessarily take in the music as a whole. But as they begin to hear the song more frequently they begin to pick up on other aspects of the music at the same time, which makes them more able to appreciate each of the various parts of the music for what they're worth. thus making the music enjoyable. But with even more time, everything becomes familiar and it's not quite as interesting to them... and so, their favorability for the music declines again... now for the tmbg-related part: my experience with TMBG has been that the middle part of the curve tends to last much longer than it does with any other artists i've come across... in that, every time i hear a tmbg-song i can almost always find a new way to interpret the song... it remains interesting to me on that level... thus, i think in over-analyzing their songs in a sense we are all just making their songs more enjoyable... finding ways to relate them to things going on in our own lives at the time... then you get into the whole "stimulus" response thing where you'll enjoy a song again because it reminds you of something or vice versa... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::did i mention i haven't slept in... what day is it today?::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9805141654.AA29098@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Flood music Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 12:54:47 -0400 (EDT) Howdy, So many people think Flood is TMBG's best album (although many of us don't particularly think so), and tend to lump them into this "silly" category, even though they may not be as silly as many other bands. They demand a Flood-like album. So what if TMBG says, we're going to make another album in the same vein as Flood? Well, then they're forever branded with the label "silly band". But if they choose not to make another Flood-like album, many people ignore them and they never truly become popular (thus selling mucho, mucho albums). It's a Catch-22. I don't think TMBG will ever become Hanson-popular or Hootie-popular just because of this. They don't want to do another Flood, they don't want to be called silly or quirky (even though they continue to), but it seems like their only hope to really hit it big. On the other hand, I think quite a few people do know their music to some degree, they have a dedicated hard-core following and they sell out many venues, so I think ultimately they have achieved the goals they set out for (except perhaps to get signed with a new major record label again). Comments? Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: BrthrJuan Message-ID: Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 13:10:11 EDT Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: WEEN In a message dated 5/14/98 3:44:41 AM Eastern Daylight Time, staypuft@ucla.edu writes: > > Added bonus question (the answer to which I learned from this > >book): What is the name of the ultra-rare FIRST Ween album? (And where > >can I get it!!!) > > Ween's first album is aptly titled "GOD WEEN SATAN". I got it at Sam Goody > which usually carries "rare" stuff surprisingly. That's where i got my > tmbg singles (back to skull, WDTSS?, guitar, SEXXY) > > josh umm.....no, the name of the first rare weeen album is "Live Brain Wedgie". god ween satan is not the first. that is the first that they actually released that you can find anywhere. "...brain wedgie" was recorded when the two of them were 15 years old, in a garage. oh yeah..i have a copy of it. yes, i am a big ween fan. aaron ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9805141716.AA29113@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: re: over-analyzing Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 13:16:29 -0400 (EDT) I don't know if a U effect would happen on this Curve for a song you like (it definitely wouldn't happen on a song you hated, or once liked but hate now). |\ | \ | \----- ------------ I could see something like this happening (my angled line isn't exactly a line but it's the best thing I can do over email) for a song that you like to some degree initially but hear on the radio way too much and begin to hate. |\ | \ /--\ | \--/ \----/ -------------------- Might describe a song you geniunely like but the low periods are times when you've heard the song too much. |--------------- | | ---------------- Would describe a song you liked right off the bat and never got tired of hearing. I doubt there are many, if any, songs like that out in the world. I guess it'd even be possible to like a song more than when you first heard it, so you could see some upward movement there, too. -Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 13:22:03 -0500 From: emily selk Subject: Non-TMBG:to all lonely people... Message-id: <355B364B.9DCB329@uwosh.edu> Organization: UW Oshkosh [Unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html), contents not processed] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 12:32:52 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: interps... Message-ID: On Thu, 14 May 1998, Danielle Gaither wrote: > ---Nub wrote: > > pretty much redeemed themselves with FS, though i'm still not convinced > > that the "real" band sound is anything but a ploy to make them sound more > > radio-friendly. if anything, i think the band limits them - before, they > > If such a ploy exists, it has failed miserably. I don't think I've ever > heard anything post-Flood on the radio. They really need to work harder > at selling out if that's what they're trying to do. well said! > > there's nothing wrong with tmbg music being called silly. it is silly. > > True, their music is silly, but I think what most fans are afraid of is > their music being pigeonholed as a novelty act when it does contain > serious artistic merit. the silliness is what first attracted me to tmbg, so i can see how it could be a good 'selling point', but the serious artistic merit is what got me hooked... :) > > like "spiralling shape" are perfect examples of how the lyrics are > > oftentimes completely ambiguous, and ultimately irrelevant. what the > > Yes, some of us are prone to over-analysis. that would be me. :) in self-defense, i should probably say that interps are exactly that: interpretations. they are a reframing of the lyrics and music in a new light that is often a very personal and subjective one. (a particularly good example of this is the interps for 'end of the tour' at tmbg.org...) most interps (from what i've seen) do not attempt to get inside the puppet heads of john and john, but rather get inside the puppet head of the interper... so if i were to stop rambling for a sec and get to the point, i guess my point would be that yeah, the lyrics are often very ambiguous (boat of car, self called nowhere) or even irrelevant (siftin', pennsylvania) but that in and of itself does not mean that the lyrics are meaningless. quite the contrary. > > lyrics require thought because they are incredibly clever, and are > > supposed to require thought - birdhouse, for one, and dinner bell. but > > If I were to pick the most thought-provoking They songs, I wouldn't pick > these. As far as only their stuff from Flood and later being clever, > again, I'll have to disagree. "The World's Address," "Youth Culture > Killed My Dog," and "Kiss Me, Son of God" are shining examples of > cleverness, in my hopelessly arrogant opinion. agreed in full! :) (about the statement, not that your opinion is hopelessly arrogant. just to clarify.) > > these are way more obvious than "nothin's gonna change my clothes" being > > about nuclear holocaust. again, i would have to dispute this on two counts: (1) there's no reason to necessarily equate 'obvious' with 'correct', and (2) there's no reason to assume the existence of a single 'correct' interp anyway... > Really? I never interpreted the song that way. Although you do raise > an interesting point about people going really overboard with interps. > Those of you who come up with them, I hope they're spur-of-the-moment > kinds of things and that you don't lose sleep hashing them out. :) fear not! half the time, my interps start out as a joke anyway -- it's only that halfway into them, i realize, 'oh, yeah -- maybe there's actually something there' and i spend the next half-hour to hour toying with it. maybe longer if i have to look up references, such as the lyrics to 'i will survive'... ;) > Other than that, interpret away! BTW, I interpret "Nothing's Gonna > Change My Clothes" as being about someone so set in his ways that he > doesn't change them even when he should. you'd better start swimming or you'll sink like a stone? i like that interp! --jim kuemmerle, who also likes "you'd better start swimming or you'll sing like a girl..." j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 15:19:52 -0400 (EDT) From: 99 and 44/100% MIKe! Subject: TMBG: ween answer Message-ID: All of you who said "Live Brain Wedgie" were right. God Ween Satan, their first "label" record, is not particularly rare. Oh, TMBG. MIKe *TMBG Info Club ID No: 18902* THE COOLEST PLACE TO BE - Mr Flippy's Red Light Funtime Party Hour --->http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy<--- Playground Justice in effect at www.journalx.com, if you dare ________________________________________________________________ "If you really want to hurt your parents and you don't have nerve enough to be homosexual, the least you can do is go into the arts." --Kurt Vonnegut ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980514194051.25707.rocketmail@send1b.yahoomail.com> Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 12:40:51 -0700 (PDT) From: "Mr. Knowitall" Subject: TMBG: That girl? Hello! This is my first post so be gentle. Just like to say a few things: 1.) Does anyone know who the girl on John Henery is? or the kids for that matter, and have they all turned into Giant Heads? 2.) I feel all your pain. It seems that alot of you have had problems with relationships and I would just like to say that I'm 16 and still date-less, but this is mostly because I find the regular High Schooler to be most irritaing. 3.) And Last... Does anyone else on this list like TMBG, Monty Python, The Residents, Primus, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Squirrel Nut Zippers and DEVO. Or I am I just a really weird freak? mr_riff_raff (Who is waiting for his "mr_riff_raff@tmbg.org" to work) * ------------------------------------------------------- == "That a smile is just a frown, turned around on a face of a clowm, with a mean streak." -DEVO, Deep Sleep D, world destrution, O ver an overture, N, do I need, Apostophe T, need this torture? -They Might Be Giants, Don't lets start _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 15:49:48 -0400 (EDT) From: "Aaron D. Ball" Subject: Re: TMBG: That girl? Message-ID: On Thu, 14 May 1998, Mr. Knowitall wrote: % 3.) And Last... Does anyone else on this list like % TMBG, Czech. % Monty Python, Cheque. % The Residents, Never heard of. % Primus, Yup. % The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Yup. % Squirrel Nut Zippers Been told I'd like 'em, never heard 'em. % DEVO. Ditto. % Or I am I just a really weird freak? Only moderately wierd. I suspect many people on the list would agree with you. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980514160333.0069caa0@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 16:03:33 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: That girl? At 12:40 PM 5/14/98 -0700, Mr. Knowitall wrote: >Hello! >This is my first post so be gentle. > >Just like to say a few things: > >1.) Does anyone know who the girl on John Henery is? or the kids for >that matter, and have they all turned into Giant Heads? Just kids for a photo shoot, I believe. >3.) And Last... Does anyone else on this list like TMBG, Monty >Python, The Residents, Primus, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Squirrel >Nut Zippers and DEVO. Or I am I just a really weird freak? I'm a huge TMBG, Monty Python, Residents, and Devo fan. Whether or not you're a really weird freak has yet to be determined, but I doubt you have anything to worry about here. :) -Adam, a really weird freak /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19980514161000.00813100@email.psu.edu> Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 16:10:00 -0400 From: "J. L. Moquin" Subject: Re: TMBG: That girl? Mr. Knowitall wrote: >3.) And Last... Does anyone else on this list like TMBG, Monty >Python, The Residents, Primus, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Squirrel >Nut Zippers and DEVO. Or I am I just a really weird freak? I enjoy *all* these things, but I suspect I may be a really weird freak. I have my good points, though. :D -jennifer, mommy to alice the bean, 8/15/97 http://www.emprl.psu.edu/~anth/ mailto:jls5@psu.edu "Death is useless. Useless is a spork. Therefore, death is a spork" -- Anthony Moquin ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980514202802.38.rocketmail@attach1.rocketmail.com> Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 13:28:02 -0700 (PDT) From: Danielle Gaither Subject: Re: TMBG: That girl? ---"Mr. Knowitall" wrote: > > Hello! > This is my first post so be gentle. Welcome to the list! Do we call you Riff Raff or Know It All? > 1.) Does anyone know who the girl on John Henery is? or the kids for > that matter, and have they all turned into Giant Heads? I remember reading somewhere that most of the kids in the John Henry photos are friends of theirs' kids. > 2.) I feel all your pain. It seems that alot of you have had > problems with relationships and I would just like to say that I'm 16 > and still date-less, but this is mostly because I find the regular > High Schooler to be most irritaing. OK, is anyone on this list in a happy, functional relationship? Does the other person know about it? If you can answer yes to both questions, please remain silent, as telling us about your happiness would depress us. ;) On the semi-good news front, look how long it took our favorite Johns to find happiness in this arena. But they did it. I mean, you don't hear about Flans getting hauled into court for drunken wife-beating. > 3.) And Last... Does anyone else on this list like TMBG, Monty > Python, The Residents, Primus, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Squirrel > Nut Zippers and DEVO. Or I am I just a really weird freak? TMBG? Nope, I don't think anyone here likes them. :) Monty Python? Let's see, I only have Monty Python Sings on CD. Nothing special there. I used to have The Final Rip-Off before someone borrowed it and never returned it, hence, appropriately enough, ripping it off from me. The Residents? I've heard of them, but never actually heard their music. If I remember correctly, TMBG cites this band as a big influence. Primus? "My name is mud..." Rocky Horror? Only have the soundtrack (and can sing most of it from memory) and have seen the movie several times. Squirrel Nut Zippers? Well, my copy of _Hot_ is currently being copied by my father. It's one of the few bands he and I agree on. Unfortunately, TMBG is not one of them. Devo? I once found an English import that contained "Freedom of Choice" and "Oh, No! It's Devo" for about $18. Snatched that puppy right up and still annoy my friends with it. :) And you probably *are* a weird freak, but sometimes I think that's almost a prerequisite to being a TMBG fan. Welcome aboard! :) Danielle, inspector over the mine === URL: http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/1054/index.html "Remember me? I'm not married, I don't have any kids, and I'd blow your head off if someone paid me enough." --from _Grosse Pointe Blank_ _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980514204547.29142.rocketmail@web2.rocketmail.com> Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 13:45:47 -0700 (PDT) From: Danielle Gaither Subject: Re: TMBG: interps... ---J Kuemmerle wrote: > > On Thu, 14 May 1998, Danielle Gaither wrote: > > Yes, some of us are prone to over-analysis. > > that would be me. :) > > in self-defense, i should probably say that interps are exactly that: > interpretations. they are a reframing of the lyrics and music in a new > light that is often a very personal and subjective one. (a particularly > good example of this is the interps for 'end of the tour' at tmbg.org...) > most interps (from what i've seen) do not attempt to get inside the puppet > heads of john and john, but rather get inside the puppet head of the > interper... That's good to know. Some of those interps at tmbg.org scare me. Then again, I suppose if I posted my interps of songs, they'd probably scare people, too. I guess an example of this would be "Till My Head Falls Off." While the Johns say it is about an old man who won't shut up, some fans (this one included) can see the song as being about suicide. While suicide wasn't what whichever John was thinking when he wrote the song, I don't think he would mind that interp. > :) fear not! half the time, my interps start out as a joke anyway -- > it's only that halfway into them, i realize, 'oh, yeah -- maybe there's > actually something there' and i spend the next half-hour to hour toying > with it. maybe longer if i have to look up references, such as the lyrics > to 'i will survive'... ;) Yup! Although some people would probably say I have no life because I've written a TMBG song parody, it actually only took me 2 minutes to do. > > Other than that, interpret away! BTW, I interpret "Nothing's Gonna > > Change My Clothes" as being about someone so set in his ways that he > > doesn't change them even when he should. > > you'd better start swimming or you'll sink like a stone? i like that > interp! Something like that. And thank you. > --jim kuemmerle, who also likes "you'd better start swimming or you'll > sing like a girl..." Hmmm. I *am* a girl (and sing like one!). What does that say for me? Danielle, inspector over the mine (and could probably could teach you how to sing like a girl if you're really nice to her) === URL: http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/1054/index.html "Remember me? I'm not married, I don't have any kids, and I'd blow your head off if someone paid me enough." --from _Grosse Pointe Blank_ _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19980514163856.0080da10@email.psu.edu> Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 16:38:56 -0400 From: "J. L. Moquin" Subject: Re: TMBG: That girl? Danielle Gaither wrote: >---"Mr. Knowitall" wrote: [snip] >> 2.) I feel all your pain. It seems that alot of you have had >> problems with relationships and I would just like to say that I'm 16 >> and still date-less, but this is mostly because I find the regular >> High Schooler to be most irritaing. >OK, is anyone on this list in a happy, functional relationship? Does the >other person know about it? If you can answer yes to both questions, please >remain silent, as telling us about your happiness would depress us. ;) [snip] Well, I'm happily married to the love of my life, my best friend, my soulmate... But we've been real crabby to each other since the baby was born, if that's any consolation. ;) And FWIW, my hubby and I were both geeky outcasts in high school. We found each other. :} -jennifer, mommy to alice the bean, 8/15/97 http://www.emprl.psu.edu/~anth/ mailto:jls5@psu.edu "Death is useless. Useless is a spork. Therefore, death is a spork" -- Anthony Moquin ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 15:50:56 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Mike Leffel? Message-ID: <19980514.162529.3270.1.gray42@juno.com> I haven't been here as long as some of the others, not to mention lousy w/ names, and if someone already told me, well I don't remember... this Mike Leffel guy seems to be to this TMBG list what J.R. Bob Dobbs is to SubGenius. Who isa this person, does he even really exist, or is he symbolic of the perfect listie. Who is MIKE LEFFEL??? Mysterio Gal (fellow Subgenius & Happy Mutant) " If there were no doorknobs nobody would be abel to open the doors. Everybody would die" --Claire (age 6) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 16:39:41 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: That girl?/ Non TMBG: Tori Amos Message-ID: <19980514.164702.3270.2.gray42@juno.com> On Thu, 14 May 1998 12:40:51 -0700 (PDT) "Mr. Knowitall" writes: >3.) And Last... Does anyone else on this list like TMBG, Monty >Python, The Residents, Primus, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Squirrel >Nut Zippers and DEVO. Or I am I just a really weird freak? > Ah, Monty Python, the best British Comedy (other then Hitchhiker's) I've ever experienced, have never heard the Residents, never seen The Rocky Horror Picture Show (unbelievable eh?) Friends have introduced me to Devo, Primus And SNZ, but the only one of the three I bothered to buy lots of albums of is Devo, to me there like TMBG but naughtier IMHO :) Right now I must comment on the new album by Tori Amos for I am completey overcome by the beauty of it, I feel like I'm swimming around in her brain, it didn't take me very long to fall in love. It's the From The Choirgirl Hotel album, some really weird (in a good way) stuff IMO. This fantastic music is telling me to soread the news so lots of people will go and vuy it, yes woooowoooo, hypnotic powers wooooowoooo, arrruuuaaaauuuuggghh, I feel like a cat on catnip ;D Mysterio Gal (fellow Subgenius & Happy Mutant) " If there were no doorknobs nobody would be abel to open the doors. Everybody would die" --Claire (age 6) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 >mr_riff_raff > >(Who is waiting for his "mr_riff_raff@tmbg.org" to work) >------------------------------------------------------- > > > > >== >"That a smile is just a frown, turned around on a face of a clowm, >with a mean streak." > -DEVO, Deep Sleep >D, world destrution, >O ver an overture, >N, do I need, >Apostophe T, need this torture? > -They Might Be Giants, Don't lets start >_________________________________________________________ >DO YOU YAHOO!? >Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com > > _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 17:03:23 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Mike Leffel? In a message dated 5/14/98 4:40:40 PM, gray42@juno.com wrote: >I haven't been here as long as some of the others, not to mention lousy >w/ names, and if someone already told me, well I don't remember... this >Mike Leffel guy seems to be to this TMBG list what J.R. Bob Dobbs is to >SubGenius. Who isa this person, does he even really exist, or is he >symbolic of the perfect listie. Who is MIKE LEFFEL??? *gasp* well; I'll let someone else do the humourous description of how he's god and stuff, but check out tmbg.org and the archives of the list, and do that handy little search and type in "Mike Leffel". sarah http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <355B5E0A.DE4B347D@pop3.concentric.net> Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 16:11:38 -0500 From: Anastasia Hunt Organization: bfe Productions Subject: Re: TMBG: Mike Leffel? gray42@juno.com wrote: > Who isa this person, does he even really exist, or is he > symbolic of the perfect listie. Who is MIKE LEFFEL??? Mike Leffel does exist. I am a friend of his who is concerned because I have not heard from him since September. He suffered a scary illness and has been here sporadically. Perfect? Ha! I love Mike, but he's a pain in the ass at times. Anastasia ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980514171036.0086db90@mail.csrlink.net> Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 17:10:36 -0400 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: Re: TMBG: Mike Leffel? At 03:50 PM 5/14/98 -0400, you wrote: >I haven't been here as long as some of the others, not to mention lousy >w/ names, and if someone already told me, well I don't remember... this >Mike Leffel guy seems to be to this TMBG list what J.R. Bob Dobbs is to >SubGenius. Who isa this person, does he even really exist, or is he >symbolic of the perfect listie. Who is MIKE LEFFEL??? > Mike Leffel is. Meaning that he exists, and is made of flesh and blood. (Although he doesn't have a tailbone.) Aside from being the one to introduce the sig files in the form of FirstName "Something terribly witty" Lastname, he himself is just too terribly witty. The man has something to say on everyhing. There were times in the past when he'd post over 5 times in a day, and everytime it'd be related to something, but somehow, not related at all. This is the first message I found from him in my rather oldish List Mailbox. I fully believe that John Henry was in a race against a machine that DROVE STAKES into RAILROAD LINES to keep them secured to THE GROUND. You see, before teleportation matrix availability, the Humans on Earth got around by using steam powered transportation. Trains. Not Subterranean Hole Borers. Mike "Wondering what all you Hancocky-Henries were doing during your learning times at school" Leffel See how it is? One a scale of Leffel funniness that goes from 1-10, that's maybe a 4 at best. I mean, you didn't read Mike Leffel's posts, you witnessed them. It's hard to describe if you weren't here for it. When you have some spare time, go to the List Archives on tmbg.org, and find some of his posts. Hell, first search I did came up with someone using the word "Leffeltastic." Wasn't even Mike! I mean, he was just part of this list. Sadly, he fell into a diabetic coma for a while, and then was in the hospital for even longer. He did make a triumphant return to the list, however, but that too has since ended in tragedy as his hard drive died, and he currently has no computer with which he can get online =( I'm not a religious man (But please, let's NOT turn this into the recent Usenet discussion.) but I pray just a little every night that Leffel will return. Dylan "Not terrible witty, but a big fan." Flipse Dylan Flipse...one of them. - dflipse@csrlink.net Dylan's page is at http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ for now. I'll never see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed -They Might Be Giants, the coolest thing this side of Zaphod Beeblebrox. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980514212910.0096b0a0@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 16:29:10 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: Mike Leffel? At 03:50 PM 5/14/98 -0400, gray42@juno.com wrote: >I haven't been here as long as some of the others, not to mention lousy >w/ names, and if someone already told me, well I don't remember... this >Mike Leffel guy seems to be to this TMBG list what J.R. Bob Dobbs is to >SubGenius. Who isa this person, does he even really exist, or is he >symbolic of the perfect listie. Who is MIKE LEFFEL??? > Mike Leffel is god. Mike Leffel is bigger than the list. Even when he is gone (damn hardrive) he is bigger than the list. Hey whoever actually talks to the Leffelernator (pertator) please ask him when he is gonna be back.... LDB, "I can't do anything..." --Illiterate Rainbow -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 16:54:45 -0500 (CDT) From: "Christopher M. Stangl" Subject: Re: TMBG: That girl?/ Non TMBG: Tori Amos Message-ID: On Thu, 14 May 1998 gray42@juno.com wrote: > On Thu, 14 May 1998 12:40:51 -0700 (PDT) "Mr. Knowitall" > writes: > >3.) And Last... Does anyone else on this list like TMBG, Monty > >Python, The Residents, Primus, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Squirrel > >Nut Zippers and DEVO. Or I am I just a really weird freak? > > > Ah, Monty Python, the best British Comedy (other then Hitchhiker's) I've > ever experienced, Then you need to see more Python. That even the brilliant Doug Adams ends up looking like a soggy sci-fi wank next to the collected run of "Flying Circus" > have never seen The Rocky Horror Picture Show (unbelievable eh?) Mysterio Gal's a virgin! Actually, the MORE SubGenius you are, the MORE YOU HATE "Rocky Horror". Somehow it got picked as the antithesis of Bulldada. See the art manifesto in the back of "Revelation X" to see this straight from the festering mouths of the Church Elders. -Rev. Chris Stangl Happy 46th, DAVID BYRNE! ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 18:08:41 EDT Subject: Non-ish TMBG: Seinfeld Hmm, ok.. I spent a long time doing various Seinfeldy things.. downloading wav's, reading stuff.. (hey, as long as AOL's pushing all this stuff, I might as well... ;)) and listening to John Henry {on shuffle. not that that matters}.. I pictured Seinfeld singin Thermostat.. and.. I don't know, if he were to sing TMBG, I bet he'd sound kinda like Linnell. Okay, this was pointless, but I can't stop thinking about it. ......sarah .........http://lava.home.ml.org ...linnellgirl@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 16:28:09 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Non-TMBG: Mike Leffel? Message-ID: who is mike leffel, you ask? mike leffel is a brilliant underemployed comedian and cartoonist, a tap-dancing robin williams clone on crack, and an all-around groovy guy. since dylan only supplied you with about a 4 on the leffel scale, let me provide a (what? 7? 8? something like that.): (JIM roots around in his archives and pulls out a plum:) ************************************** If it wasn't for the wonderful gift of Virtual Springfield (which regrettably filled and destroyed one of two small hard drives kindly donated by a member of the Friends Of The Stupid Immortal Procrastinator Moron Foundation), being able to watch "Inspector Gadget Saves Christmas" and some wonderful clip art, I think I'd be ignoring ZuZu's petals right about now and stalking an old maid librarian in Potterville... "Don't you know who I am? I'm your husband!!" "I've never seen you before in my life! Officer! Officer!' "Yes ma'am?" "This frightening ne'er do well is frightening me!" "I'll make short work of him, ma'am" (pulls out his Vagrant Stick) Ah well, such is the Life of Mike. In fact, this is EXACTLY the Life of Mike, and in no way am I terribly suprised or disappointed by the events herein. The Life Of Mike... Get yours today, at Wal-Mart. Buy two, and get a free case of Sam's Choice Ol' Roy Bourbon. Great for those lonely nights when the child support is overdue, the dog is in heat again and he looks kinda good.. even better than that packet of Instant Powdered Gravy last thursday, the silverfish are *THIS* close to being trainable and you're too stupid to get drunk with REAL fermented water n' grains n' urine, and only prefer to get drunk with fermented urine. .... Only $5.00. "No man is truly poor, who has galoshes that don't fit. Oh, thank you Clarence!! Thank you!" "Who's Clarence, daddy?" "He's a friend of mine, ZuZu... a dear friend!" "Is he like that guy you paid off so he wouldn't do that... ....thing.... in front of the house anymore?" "Uh.... well.." (Suddenly, the christmas tree has a seizure and turns off the episode of Pocket Monsters it was watching.) >dingle dingle dingle ringgy dinggy!< "Daddy! Daddy! Teacher says, that when a bell rings, some stupid loser is getting sloshed with the sweet, sweet, juice!" "That's probably why she gave you a _Y_ on your report card, dear. That caked up monkey of a whore." ---Scene From The Movie _It's A Wonderful Enema_ ***************************************** thank you for the opportunity to hop in the WayBack Machine (tm)... PS: queen sneepy, if you're still on the list, did you get the address i sent you?? --jim kuemmerle, who has over 500 messages in his inbox for occasions such as this... that and the fact that i'm extremely disorganized... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu ------------------------------ From: "Mr. Me" Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 17:50:55 CST Subject: TMBG: dr. spock's backup band Message-ID: <419E450084F@athena.valpo.edu> i downloaded it, transferred it to wav, and recorded it to cd, and it's an awesome concert. thanks jishy. anyway, two questions regarding it: one, how much fidelity is lost in the process listed above, and two does anyone have any info on the bootleg. i know it was recorded in chicago, but when? judging by the setlist, it is definetly after flood, and either just before or just after A18, but exactly when? who played in the band then? and lastly, is there any official album cover for the bootleg and is it avaiable anywhere on the web? thanks. jeremy [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] "Instead of creating new weapons of destruction, we ought to get some use out of the ones we already have." Deep Thoughts [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] Experience the many media of Jeremy Skrenes! Email: jskrenes@athena.valpo.edu Snail: or p356jskrenes@exodus.valpo.edu Wehrenberg Hall Airwaves: Sunday nights, 12-2am 95.1, WVUR Valparaiso, IN 46383 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980514190536.006a144c@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 19:05:36 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: dr. spock's backup band Loss of quality by doing what you did - it's my understanding that there's a little, but it's probably not noticeable. I have the CD, and it's on Blue Knight Records (BKR 22) and was released in 1993. It says on the back that it was recorded in 6/92, although I believe the specific date is 6/27/92. I'm going to scan in the cover for a web page in a few days, and I'll e-mail the list when it's up. -Adam At 05:50 PM 5/14/98 CST, Mr. Me wrote: >i downloaded it, transferred it to wav, and recorded it to cd, and >it's an awesome concert. thanks jishy. anyway, two questions >regarding it: one, how much fidelity is lost in the process listed >above, and two does anyone have any info on the bootleg. i know it >was recorded in chicago, but when? judging by the setlist, it is >definetly after flood, and either just before or just after A18, but >exactly when? who played in the band then? and lastly, is there any >official album cover for the bootleg and is it avaiable anywhere on >the web? thanks. /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 18:41:16 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: That girl? Message-ID: On Thu, 14 May 1998, Mr. Knowitall wrote: > Hello! > This is my first post so be gentle. allo! come inside and meet the missus! --worm, "labyrinth" > 1.) Does anyone know who the girl on John Henery is? or the kids for > that matter, and have they all turned into Giant Heads? at midnight. the skull head turned into a pumpkin. (enter the photo shoot kids, singing "put your hand inside the pumpkin head, put your hand inside the pumpkin head...") > 2.) I feel all your pain. ouch! that has to hurt! :) > 3.) And Last... Does anyone else on this list like TMBG, :) > Monty Python, :) > The Residents, i've not seen terribly much from the residents, and what i have seen i've got mixed feelings about, but i expect if i saw more, i'd probably like it. > Primus, don't know much by them, but i do like the album "sailing the seas of cheese"... > The Rocky Horror Picture Show, like our friend claire, i too am a rocky horror virgin. how i made it through high school *and* college with the friends i had and managed *not* to see rocky horror umpteen times is beyond my comprehension, though... > Squirrel Nut Zippers big honkin' yes. > and DEVO. oh ah. :) how about: tom robbins, thomas pynchon, e e cummings, naomi shihab nye, toad the wet sprocket, steeleye span, va"rttina", oumou sangare, or balkan folk music and dancing? > Or I am I just a really weird freak? uh-huh. not that there's anyth--- i mean, "but that's just fine with us." --jim kuemmerle, who will (sigh) miss the seinfeld episode tonight due to prior committments... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 19:12:31 +0100 From: "Courtney L. Patubo" Subject: Re: TMBG: Photos of Listees dammit, I got it wrong the first time, mine is actually http://www.hooked.net/~cpatubo/mecp02.jpg sowwee! C o u r t n e y L . P a t u b o http://www.hooked.net/~cpatubo ICQ: 3762743 Do not taunt happy fun ball. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <355BA435.1863@geocities.com> Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 19:11:01 -0700 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Mike Leffel? J Kuemmerle wrote: > > who is mike leffel, you ask? mike leffel is a brilliant underemployed > comedian and cartoonist, a tap-dancing robin williams clone on crack, and > an all-around groovy guy. > > since dylan only supplied you with about a 4 on the leffel scale, let me > provide a (what? 7? 8? something like that.): > > (JIM roots around in his archives and pulls out a plum:) > > ************************************** > > If it wasn't for the wonderful gift of Virtual Springfield (which > regrettably filled and destroyed one of two small hard > drives kindly donated by a member of the Friends Of The Stupid > Immortal Procrastinator Moron Foundation), being able to watch > "Inspector Gadget Saves Christmas" and some wonderful > clip art, I think I'd be ignoring ZuZu's petals > right about now and stalking an old maid librarian in Potterville... > > "Don't you know who I am? I'm your husband!!" > > "I've never seen you before in my life! Officer! Officer!' > > "Yes ma'am?" > > "This frightening ne'er do well is frightening me!" > > "I'll make short work of him, ma'am" (pulls out his Vagrant Stick) > > Ah well, such is the Life of Mike. In fact, this is EXACTLY > the Life of Mike, and in no way am I terribly suprised > or disappointed by the events herein. The Life Of Mike... Get yours > today, at Wal-Mart. Buy two, and get a free case of Sam's > Choice Ol' Roy Bourbon. Great for those lonely nights when > the child support is overdue, the dog is in heat again and > he looks kinda good.. even better than that packet of > Instant Powdered Gravy last thursday, the silverfish are *THIS* close to > being trainable and you're too stupid to get drunk > with REAL fermented water n' grains n' urine, and only prefer > to get drunk with fermented urine. .... Only $5.00. > > "No man is truly poor, who has galoshes that don't fit. Oh, thank > you Clarence!! Thank you!" > > "Who's Clarence, daddy?" > > "He's a friend of mine, ZuZu... a dear friend!" > > "Is he like that guy you paid off so he wouldn't do that... > ....thing.... in front of the house anymore?" > > "Uh.... well.." > > (Suddenly, the christmas tree has a seizure and turns > off the episode of Pocket Monsters it was watching.) Only a touch of the magic of Leffelism. Mike "Whereas I'd sell my soul and the souls of millions for something shiny" Leffel Mike "I make you go from this... ooooh! ooooh! Oooh! ...to this!.. Aaahhhhh HAAAAAAA!!!" Leffel Mike "HOT POTATO! HOT POTATO! HOT POTATO! HOT POTATO!" Leffel Mike "I scream, you scream, we all scream when pandas mate with our faces on sunday" Leffel Mike "Nazi Supermen are our superior!" Leffel Mike "No fun in public" Leffel Mike "Dig me, I'm a grave" Leffel Mike "Licking that mentally challenged dachsund" Leffel Mike "Irony is the shackles of my pants" Leffel And more! > > Dylan "Has Mike Leffel Experienced This Problem?" Flipse > The clouds churn in a multicolored array of tempestuous confusion. The wind blows this way and that, as terrible lightning rips across the sky. The Noise is almost too much to bear. "Is it the end of the world?" one may ask? Indeed, if ever there is such a time, no man would be called a fool for believing it was today. Then suddenly, all reality compounds. A nexus forms atop a weathered mountain of some importance. All eyes focus fearfully on the vortex as space literally collapses, and the ensuing explosion cancels out all sound. A hole, punched through existence itself has erupted. Human words cannot fully explain the maddening sight. Warped and abused particles surrounding the hole glimmer in some unseeable light and wisps of tortured atoms glide smoothly in cocentric circles. From this gaping wound in the time-space continuum, there comes forth a man. He looks upon the beings before him and all is silent. He looks at one of the people. The being known as Dylan Flipse nearly leaps out of his own skin in utter trepidation. The Man from the abyss cries out to him, in a booming voice that rumbles over the land like the call of God itself. "My Mail Hasn't Been Screwy For Some Time, Kid!" Then the guy leaves, the null-space closes up and all is well. Somewhere, a dog urinates. -Our dear friend Leffel, 11/18/1997 Seeeeee? -- Vladimir "I'm cool, but I'm not LEFFEL cool!" Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* "Is everything normal now?" "And crawling on the "Well, he hasn't got planet's face... some religious mania, and he's called the Human Race. not running around in a Lost in time, and lost circle spouting Gilbert in space... and Sullivan, so I guess ...and meaning." he's normal." ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980514223722.00a40100@mail.csrlink.net> Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 22:37:22 -0400 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Mike Leffel? And not even 100% Leffel. At 07:11 PM 5/14/98 -0700, you wrote: >Mike "Nazi Supermen are our superior!" Leffel One of my all-time Mike Leffel favorites! >> >> Dylan "Has Mike Leffel Experienced This Problem?" Flipse >> > > > The clouds churn in a multicolored array of tempestuous >confusion. The wind blows this way and that, as terrible lightning >rips across the sky. The Noise is almost too much to bear. >"Is it the end of the world?" one may ask? Indeed, if ever there >is such a time, no man would be called a fool for believing it >was today. > > Then suddenly, all reality compounds. A nexus >forms atop a weathered mountain of some importance. All eyes focus >fearfully on the vortex as space literally collapses, and the ensuing >explosion cancels out all sound. > > A hole, punched through existence itself has erupted. Human words >cannot fully explain the maddening sight. Warped and abused particles >surrounding the hole glimmer in some unseeable light and wisps of >tortured atoms glide smoothly in cocentric circles. > > From this gaping wound in the time-space continuum, there comes forth >a man. He looks upon the beings before him and all is silent. > > He looks at one of the people. The being known as Dylan Flipse nearly >leaps out of his own skin in utter trepidation. > >The Man from the abyss cries out to him, in a booming voice that rumbles >over the land like the call of God itself. > > "My Mail Hasn't Been Screwy For Some Time, Kid!" > >Then the guy leaves, the null-space closes up and all is well. > >Somewhere, a dog urinates. > >-Our dear friend Leffel, 11/18/1997 > >Seeeeee? > I was LOOKING for that. You rascal you, you found it. I prolly coulda, but right after my previous post I had to go be suicidal. Not really, it was just acting. But the bridge was real enough and all. Some girl's art project I got recruited into. Little did she know, I have the acting ability of an empty jewel case. Hah. That also led to the rather interesting situation that involved me having animal crackers and warm coke for dinner. One another note, I came home and watched Seinfeld. I don't care what anyone says, it was a classic. Even the thing that came on at 8:00, that was great too. They played that Green Day song Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) and I nearly cried. Not so much cause of Seinfeld, cause that song always makes me sad. Reminds me of great things, fun things, unique things that I've done that I'll never do again. Especially it reminds me of the people I did them with. I get like that a lot, actually. It just seems to me, though I never felt quite right as a little kid (Mega-genius that I am.), and still don't, that it's a better deal than being any kind of responsible adult. Sheesh. And I'm 16. Wait till I hit 40. Ah, one more note that's related to recent list events. I recently had a year and a half relationship end. And, I have to say, I feel good about it. It's nice to be free, not that I'm exactly booked for dates, (Hear that ladies? Friday and Saturday nights for the next 60 years are OPEN.) but it's nice just not to have to answer to someone. Dylan "Waxing Poetical and Using Prepositions to End Lots of Sentences With" Flipse Dylan Flipse...one of them. - dflipse@csrlink.net Dylan's page is at http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ for now. I'll never see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed -They Might Be Giants, the coolest thing this side of Zaphod Beeblebrox. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #6-15 *****************************