Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #6-16 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 6, Number 16 Saturday, 16 May 1998 Today's Topics: Re: Non-TMBG: Mike Leffel? And not even 100% Leffel. Re: Non-TMBG: Mike Leffel? And not even 100% Leffel. Re: TMBG: That girl? Re: TMBG: That girl? TMBG: "Song for the Dumped" video! TMBG: Will Contact Leffel Re: TMBG: Will Contact Leffel Re: TMBG: That girl? Re: TMBG: Will Contact Leffel Re: TMBG: Will Contact Leffel Re: TMBG: Will Contact Leffel Re: TMBG: Will Contact Leffel Re: TMBG: Will Contact Leffel TMBG: TMBG "sighting" TMBG: CD rippers TMBG: Mis.T (not to be confused with Mr. T) TMBG: FREE MONO PUFF STICKER!!!!!!! TMBG: Johns on Clarissa - image Non-TMBG: Transparencies Re: TMBG: That girl? Re: Non-TMBG: Transparencies Re: TMBG: Re: my last post TMBG: the John Henry girl Re: TMBG: TMBG.ORG TMBG: Albums Re: TMBG: Reminiscences TMBG: Do I buy this? Re: TMBG: Albums TMBG: The World's Address (then it got remixed, now we don't kno TMBG: Joshua Fried Remix World's Address Re: TMBG: Joshua Fried Remix World's Address Re: TMBG: Johns on Clarissa - image Re: TMBG: Albums Re: TMBG: Albums TMBG: Mike Leffel, FS, & other stuff.... TMBG: Re: that girl? TMBG: Re: that girl? Re: TMBG: Albums Re: TMBG: The World's Address (then it got remixed, now we don't kno TMBG: jh girl, persephone TMBG: Karaoke TMBG TMBG: non-tmbg: mike leffel again Re: TMBG: Albums Re: TMBG: Joshua Fried Remix World's Address TMBG: Re: my last post Re: TMBG: Albums Re: TMBG: That girl?/ Non TMBG: Tori Amos TMBG: TMBMuppets! TMBG: They'll Need A Crane Interps Re: TMBG: They'll Need A Crane Interps TMBG: duuuuh... my photo Re: TMBG: TMBMuppets! Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: <77ebd968.355bac53@aol.com> Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 22:45:37 EDT Subject: Re: Re: Non-TMBG: Mike Leffel? And not even 100% Leffel. In a message dated 5/14/98 9:40:08 PM, dflipse@csrlink.net wrote: >One another note, I came home and watched Seinfeld. I don't care what >anyone says, it was a classic. Even the thing that came on at 8:00, that >was great too. They played that Green Day song Good Riddance (Time of Your >Life) and I nearly cried. Not so much cause of Seinfeld, cause that song >always makes me sad. Reminds me of great things, fun things, unique things >that I've done that I'll never do again. I really don't like Green Day (I did back when "Longview" was the *hot new song*, but only for a few weeks;)) but I did in fact have tears in my eyes during that part. I'm just a sentimental sap. and pointless to boot. sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <355BD8DE.563@fuse.net> Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 22:55:42 -0700 From: jays your one-paged dictionary Organization: dial-a-song! 718-287-6962, narrrrrrrrr! Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Mike Leffel? And not even 100% Leffel. KdsInThHal wrote: > I really don't like Green Day (I did back when "Longview" was the *hot new > song*, but only for a few weeks;)) but I did in fact have tears in my eyes > during that part. > I'm just a sentimental sap. > > and pointless to boot. > > sarah we are, indeed, a sad group. jay "but mike leffel is seven feet tall!" cunningham. -- jayhc, singing like olive oyl very much on purpose. e-mail: sirjamez@fuse.net, phonebook@tmbg.org aol im: SaturnChrd, PhoneBookJ irc: PhoneBook "and sadly the cross-eyed bear's been put to sleep behind the stairs, and his shoes are laced with irony." --tmbg "you can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, and that's sufficient." --the eternal optimist. -- ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 14 May 98 22:55 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: That girl? >3.) And Last... Does anyone else on this list like TMBG, Monty >Python, The Residents, Primus, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Squirrel >Nut Zippers and DEVO. Or I am I just a really weird freak? Of course, yes, yes, no, yes, yes, no. :) Kirs -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "You think you're so funny, but looks aren't everything." - Lincoln "Wish You Were Dead" Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 14 May 98 23:08 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: That girl? >how about: tom robbins Yum. :) Wonder if the radio in the outhouse at the Rubber Rose Ranch ever played "The Famous Polka"? Kirs -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "You think you're so funny, but looks aren't everything." - Lincoln "Wish You Were Dead" Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow ------------------------------ From: Kaylum Message-ID: Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 23:23:08 EDT Subject: TMBG: "Song for the Dumped" video! The newsgroup and mailing list have been scooped again, heehee! Just read on the AOL They Might Be Giants board (my humble home) that the video for "Song for the Dumped," directed by you-know-who, will be airing on 120 Minutes this Sunday! Yay!!! Kay ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001501bd7fb2$a3dfc7a0$13c4f6ce@idiotnot.visi.net> From: "S. Bergeron" Subject: TMBG: Will Contact Leffel Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 23:36:24 -0400 I do believe that the famous Mr.. Leffel resides in my vicinity. In fact, I believe that one of my friends is acquainted with him. Will try to get a message through. Jack "Might as well make myself useful to the list, since nobody really remembers me" Bergeron idiotnot@visi.net bluedawg@tmbg.org http://www.monopuff.org/~bluedawg "As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way."--Jack Handy ICQ#5909618 ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: <6f182afd.355bb862@aol.com> Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 23:37:04 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Will Contact Leffel In a message dated 5/14/98 11:35:16 PM, you wrote: >Jack "Might as well make myself useful to the list, since nobody really > >remembers me" *I* remember you. I joined the list in the umm.. 'knob' days I believe.. sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <003801bd7fb4$499b5780$13c4f6ce@idiotnot.visi.net> From: "S. Bergeron" Subject: Re: TMBG: That girl? Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 23:48:12 -0400 :Hello! :This is my first post so be gentle. ~/o I'm gonna make love to ya, woman, gonna lay ya down by da fire ~/o Ooops...sorry. :Just like to say a few things: : :1.) Does anyone know who the girl on John Henery is? or the kids for :that matter, and have they all turned into Giant Heads? No, actually, they were all abducted by ailens who were frustrated by not finding any pattern or meaning in John Linnell's teeth. :2.) I feel all your pain. It seems that alot of you have had :problems with relationships and I would just like to say that I'm 16 :and still date-less, but this is mostly because I find the regular :High Schooler to be most irritaing. Somehow, strangely, I was smooth in high school. I played football, I dated a cheerleader. To quote Adam Sandler, "What the hell happened to me?" :3.) And Last... Does anyone else on this list like TMBG, Monty :Python, The Residents, Primus, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Squirrel :Nut Zippers and DEVO. Or I am I just a really weird freak? Are you mad?!? I'm on the TMBG-List!! And you actually believe that I like them?!? Horsehockey!!! What have you been smoking, weird boy?!? Yes, I do like pretty much everything mentioned, save Rocky Horror (never could really get into it); never heard of the Residents. I'm also into most varieties of Ska. Jack "mind firing, while body prepares to vomit" Bergeron idiotnot@visi.net bluedawg@tmbg.org http://www.monopuff.org/~bluedawg "As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way."--Jack Handy ICQ#5909618 ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 14 May 98 23:55 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Will Contact Leffel >Jack "Might as well make myself useful to the list, since nobody really >remembers me" Bergeron idiotnot@visi.net bluedawg@tmbg.org Aw, I remember you, of course! (puts on geezer voice) Why, I've been on this list for well nigh on three years, and I do believe you were an old-timer then... OTOH, I could be confusing you with someone else. :} Kirsten -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "You think you're so funny, but looks aren't everything." - Lincoln "Wish You Were Dead" Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199805150413.XAA20539@cs.utexas.edu> Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 23:13:29 -0500 From: checkers Subject: Re: TMBG: Will Contact Leffel >>Jack "Might as well make myself useful to the list, since nobody really >>remembers me" Bergeron idiotnot@visi.net bluedawg@tmbg.org > > Aw, I remember you, of course! (puts on geezer voice) Why, I've >been on this list for well nigh on three years, and I do believe you were >an old-timer then... OTOH, I could be confusing you with someone else. :} and of course there was the blue dog / pink album extravaganza.... i wonder who all has been around forever... i never have the same name on my email, and in addition to that pretty much just lurk, so i guess that for the most part people don't know who i am, but i have been on the list forever... can't remember the first things from when i got on the list... 4 or 5 years ago i guess... biggest thing i can remember is the lactose intolerance debate... anyway... rabidchild (paul swan) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <011501bd7fb8$6bac35c0$13c4f6ce@idiotnot.visi.net> From: "S. Bergeron" Subject: Re: TMBG: Will Contact Leffel Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 00:17:46 -0400 :In a message dated 5/14/98 11:35:16 PM, you wrote: : :>Jack "Might as well make myself useful to the list, since nobody really :> :>remembers me" : :*I* remember you. : :I joined the list in the umm.. 'knob' days I believe.. Ah, yes, buttknobs...one of my least favorite threads, yet still a memorable one. I quote from Digest 2-159, dated Friday, June 7, 1996: << Date: Thu, 06 Jun 1996 07:44:09 -0700 From: John Lambert Subject: Buttknob - the movie ok, i'm willing (as the main user of this word) to add as many definitions as it takes to make this clear. butt-knob (buht'-nob)n. [1.] a jerk. [2.] someone who you wouldn't want to be around. [3.] a knob that has somehow become lodged in your butt, thus making you a very hard person to deal with. [4.] a pimple of the posterior region thus making you very irritable. >> Methinks a lighted cigarette would be an effective means of removing a buttknob, by any definition. Jack Bergeron idiotnot@visi.net bluedawg@tmbg.org http://www.monopuff.org/~bluedawg "As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way."--Jack Handy ICQ#5909618 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <011801bd7fb9$9dad4ea0$13c4f6ce@idiotnot.visi.net> From: "S. Bergeron" Subject: Re: TMBG: Will Contact Leffel Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 00:26:20 -0400 -----Original Message----- From: Kirsten Brodbeck To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Thursday, May 14, 1998 11:55 PM Subject: Re: TMBG: Will Contact Leffel :>Jack "Might as well make myself useful to the list, since nobody really :>remembers me" Bergeron idiotnot@visi.net bluedawg@tmbg.org : : Aw, I remember you, of course! (puts on geezer voice) Why, I've :been on this list for well nigh on three years, and I do believe you were :an old-timer then... OTOH, I could be confusing you with someone else. :} No, that's me all right. Back when I still had an AOL account (and most of my hair, coincidentally). Firing up the way-back machine again, here's the first post of mine I could find, from the Digest 1-2, dated September 15, 1995 << From: Idiotnot@aol.com Date: Fri, 15 Sep 1995 15:35:07 -0400 Subject: Big Blue -vs- Pink I'm trying to get this one straight. I think it is the Big Blue Dog Album. Others say it is the Pink Album. I'd like to know what you think. Idiotnot. Pres. of Big Blue Supporters.>> Ah, yes, the blue-vs-pink debate, probably the list's first major discussion topic. Anyone else here remember that one? Jack Bergeron idiotnot@visi.net bluedawg@tmbg.org http://www.monopuff.org/~bluedawg "As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way."--Jack Handy ICQ#5909618 ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 00:27:04 EDT Subject: Re: Re: TMBG: Will Contact Leffel In a message dated 5/14/98 12:25:03 AM, you wrote: > > >Ah, yes, the blue-vs-pink debate, probably the list's first major discussion > >topic. Anyone else here remember that one? LOL! yes! that got pretty violent! ;D sarrrah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199805150615.CAA01074@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 01:18:08 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: TMBG: TMBG "sighting" So there I was at the Ben Folds Five concert. I had just taken my favorite narcotic (painkillers for my wisdom teeth, removed just a few days ago) and was waiting for BFF to take the stage, after a rather disappointing opening performance by Superdrag. My associate turned to me and said "Listen, isn't that..." "They'll Need a Crane" I supplied. "Yeah!" So there we were, basking in the glow of TMBG for a brief time before the dull waiting began again. But it was a good show, worth the wait. Oh yeah -- I'm still on the painkillers now, so forgive any incoherence found in this message. I've also been advised not to sign any legally binding documents, or to drive an automobile. Harf, Mitch A man said to the universe: "Sir, I exist!" "However," replied the universe, "The fact has not created in me a sense of obligation." - Stephen Crane ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000301bd7fcb$d6d95d60$1b321ed1@refund.rcn.nmt.edu> From: "Refund" Subject: TMBG: CD rippers Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 00:36:44 -0600 Ok ok ok...I screwed up. To those of you which I sent the CD ripping program, I forgot a .dll file. Please email me and I'll send it to ya. Sorry... Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the state of New Mexico. And whoever said there's nothing new under the sun never thought much about individuals, but he's dead anyway. The Refreshments -- Down Together. P.S. Visit www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Amphitheatre/5550/ The first Julie Plug tribute page in HISTORY!!! :0) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <355C006E.C92CDA7E@home.com> Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 01:44:23 -0700 From: NICHOLAS JANSSEN Organization: @Home Network Subject: TMBG: Mis.T (not to be confused with Mr. T) I would have to say, hands down the best TMBG has to be The world's Address (the Joshua Fried Re-mix) I don't know I used to Hate this song and then one day I started to like but what finally put me over the edge was a night of herbal enjoyment, Tacos, and They Might Be Giants. I mean really, what more do you want? I would recommend this to any TMBG veteran. Listen to it again and see the brilliance of Joshua Fried. Nick ps- What does hands down have to do with any thing? pps- Does Joshua Fried have an album or anything I can get my hands on? What does he do, is he a producer? ------------------------------ Message-ID: <355C04A9.760AEC30@home.com> Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 02:02:27 -0700 From: NICHOLAS JANSSEN Organization: @Home Network Subject: TMBG: FREE MONO PUFF STICKER!!!!!!! I was in the music store the other day looking for any of the mono puff stuff and to my bad luck I did not find an album BUT in a stack called Mono I found a Mono Puff CD single "The Devil Went Down T Newport (Totally Rocking)" (plus non-LP tracks: Oddball, Tryptophane, The Devil Went Down T Newport (Totally Remade) witch is actually better then the original) so let me get to my point... so when I opened up the jewel card out fell A FREE MONO PUFF STICKER!!!!! I have put it proudly on the back of my 1980 toyota corolla next to my Ted's Diner bumper sticker and my "What if the whole world farted at once" bumper sticker. ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: <46e8c121.355c0f53@aol.com> Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 05:48:02 EDT Subject: TMBG: Johns on Clarissa - image for those of you who have yet to see the 1st episode of Clarissa Explains it All or just wanna see this again and smile :) , there's an image of her talking about TMBG with the litttle (SWA)HD video cartoon Johns to her right. http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/gifs/tv-shows/Clarissa/eps101/p01likes.gif the answer to why I was at that page in the first place - someone posted it onto alt.showbiz.gossip and I went for the sole reason to look for TMBG things;) I just felt I needed to validate myself... sarah http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199805151334.JAA22097@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 08:37:15 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Non-TMBG: Transparencies >things;) I just felt I needed to validate myself... On my first scan through your message, I read this as "I just felt I needed to violate myself" and was quite shocked. After reading it again it made a lot more sense, but was a lot less interesting. Just wanted to share. Painkillers, Mitch A man said to the universe: "Sir, I exist!" "However," replied the universe, "The fact has not created in me a sense of obligation." - Stephen Crane ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19980515100829.007d92b0@email.psu.edu> Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 10:08:29 -0400 From: "J. L. Moquin" Subject: Re: TMBG: That girl? Kirsten Brodbeck wrote: >>how about: tom robbins > > Yum. :) Wonder if the radio in the outhouse at the Rubber Rose >Ranch ever played "The Famous Polka"? ROFLMAO. Hoo boy, been far too long since I read that book again... :) -jennifer, mommy to alice the bean, 8/15/97 http://www.emprl.psu.edu/~anth/ mailto:jls5@psu.edu "Death is useless. Useless is a spork. Therefore, death is a spork" -- Anthony Moquin ------------------------------ Message-ID: <355C77C7.1A4@fuse.net> Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 10:13:43 -0700 From: jays your one-paged dictionary Organization: dial-a-song! 718-287-6962, narrrrrrrrr! Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Transparencies Mitchell Harding wrote: > > >things;) I just felt I needed to validate myself... > > On my first scan through your message, I read this as "I just felt I needed > to violate myself" and was quite shocked. After reading it again it made a > lot more sense, but was a lot less interesting. > > Just wanted to share. > > Painkillers, > Mitch hey, she said she liked longview. ;) jay. ------------------------------ From: "Drunken Bird" Organization: Columbus State Univ.,Columbus, Ga. Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 10:55:09 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: my last post Message-ID: <1C0A403EF8@colstate.edu> > > >now i don't want to induce any suicides or anything here so i'm gonna > >sum this up by telling you right now that you've got it better than > >someone out there... you may have to give some things up but in the > >end you may make yourself happier... > > > > hehe, I can name 1, Marvin The Paraniod Android > (I needed to say that) Don't you mean the Depressed Robot? - Drunken Bird DrunkenBird@tmbg.org (who wonders the difference between 32 footsteps, the answer of 42, and why robots like the number 8.. whoops, whoops too late) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19980514235758.0072e56c@mailbox.ucdavis.edu> Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 08:12:29 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: the John Henry girl >1.) Does anyone know who the girl on John Henery is? or the kids for >that matter, and have they all turned into Giant Heads? There was a "name the John Henry girl" thread many moons ago (and don't let's start it again, please), but the list died right before the voting deadline, so nothing was ever decided. Her name is whatever you want it to be. According to the Info Club, half the kids are kids of friends of the Johns, and the other half are professional model kids. >3.) And Last... Does anyone else on this list like TMBG, Monty >Python, The Residents, Primus, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Squirrel >Nut Zippers and DEVO. Or I am I just a really weird freak? TMBG? Nope, sorry, can't say that I've ever heard of them. :) But I do like Monty Python (doesn't everyone?) and SNZ. >Who isa this person, does he even really exist, or is he >symbolic of the perfect listie. Who is MIKE LEFFEL??? Mike Leffel! He's kind of like our mascot. He used to post lots of funny, random messages about life, the universe, and TMBG, and he pioneered the enduring Leffel sig. He was so popular that there was briefly (jokingly) a Mike Leffel fan club. Unfortunately he left, due to serious health and ISP problems, and he may never return. *sigh* A true TMBG list legend. >--jim kuemmerle, who has over 500 messages in his inbox for occasions such >as this... that and the fact that i'm extremely disorganized... Pshaw, child's play. I have over 2000, spanning a little over a year, and I delete my old TMBG digests. (Not that I don't love them, but my primary hard drive is only so big.) --nicole "Jumping on the Leffel bandwagon" the wonder nerd *** "Electrons are our friends, right?"--my physics TA Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn ICQ #11984736 Public PGP key at http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn/key.html ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980515101223.006b2dac@pop.indy.net> Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 10:12:23 -0400 From: rachel Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG.ORG destin wrote: >They're up there still, they're just in a very counterintuitive and >crappy (sorry) place... you have to click on the little red button to >the left of the CD image. And Unreleased Songs oddly includes Linnell's >stuff and I think mono puff, too. I liked it just fine before, dunno why >it was changed. > (i realize this was posted a few days ago, but hey, i was gone). i may be reading this incredibly wrong but i really feel the need to comment on the "new" tmbg.org. first, content wise, the page kicks ass, as all of you know- the best place for tmbg info. *but* (and i say this in the nicest way) it could really stand for a major appearance-like overhaul. at the risk of sounding condescending, i have a few friends who are graphic design majors who i'm sure would be more than happy to help. but all graphics aside, if a source of information is inacessible (as proved above) it defeats it's own purpose. meow, rachel "senior complainyness" eckstein ------------------------------ Message-ID: <355C5C7C.D32AB574@qn.net> Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 11:17:17 -0400 From: Diana Kocar Subject: TMBG: Albums Hello everyone! I'm a fairly new member to this list, and this is my first post. So far I've noticed that many people on this list do not seem to like TMBG's most recent albums as much as the earlier ones. I've read posts saying that Factory Showroom is weak, John Henry is the worst, Apollo 18 is a poor choice to start out with for a new TMBG listener, and Flood is just too silly and popular. I personally love all of these albums, in addition to the earlier ones. I started out on Flood and listened to it endlessly until I eventually bought the rest. Flood is very good, and many of the songs have a lot of deeper meaning. The next album I got was Factory Showroom and I think it is also just great. Songs like, "Exquisite Dead Guy," "The Spiraling Shape," and "The Bells are Ringing" can hardly be called weak. If I had to choose a most favorite album, however, I think I would choose Apollo 18. I think it would be a great album to start out on because it covers all the bases of TMBG-ness. It shows off Their wackiness and seriousness, their experimentation with new musical ideas. This is what I think TMBG is all about. Finally, I get offended when people diss John Henry. It is great. I love "Sleeping in the Flowers," "A Self Called Nowhere," and "The End of the Tour." All the songs on this album can be read as poetry and they are no less good just because live instrumentation is used. It just seems to me that a lot of you listies have this idea of pure TMBG and it hasn't been duplicated since the first couple albums. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the Pink Album and Lincoln. But every album is good in its own way, and that should be appreciated. What does everyone else think? What is the best and most pure TMBG album? Diana "I took off the intellectuals and put on They May Be Giants." --Gloria ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 11:33:40 -0400 From: Jonathan Chaffer Subject: Re: TMBG: Reminiscences >and of course there was the blue dog / pink album extravaganza.... i >wonder who all has been around forever... i never have the same name on my >email, and in addition to that pretty much just lurk, so i guess that for >the most part people don't know who i am, but i have been on the list >forever... can't remember the first things from when i got on the list... 4 This seems a normal pattern. It fits me, anyway. I postulate: The Stages of TMBG-Listhood --------------------------- 1. Curiosity. Depending on when you found out about the list, you might be a newbie to the band or to the Internet. Either way, this is a period of learning. 2. Fanaticism. The listee memorizes the FAQ and submits several entries to the Interp Archive. Starts to produce posts that aren't obviously "new guy" messages. 3. Disillusionment. This typically occurs during a "should unrelated topics be allowed" debate. The listee starts to see other list members as people, rather than information resources. The result is temporarily putting Them aside in favor of list comraderie. 4. Rampancy. (Yes, I stole this from Marathon.) Only a few go through this stage. Leffel was one, I was another. It is not necessarily a good thing. Listee feels the urge to respond to every message. Typically gets a fan club as well as an archnemesis or two. 5. Dormancy. Listee begins scanning subject lines and only reading messages that look intriguing. Posts become rare, and when they occur, they have a "when I was your age" tone. The stages may repeat, of course. -- ,, Jonathan Chaffer http://www.tmbg.org/ ->QQ<- Student, University of Michigan _||_ "Anything ragged or rotten or rusty-- yes, I love trash." --Oscar ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 16:23:48 +0000 Subject: TMBG: Do I buy this? I've been hunting around for TMBG stuff here in the UK and have been told by one place that they have a 1998 12" on Bar None Records consisting of: Hotel Detective / For Science / Kiss me son of God / The Biggest One / Mr Klan It seems quite expensive (about the price of 2 mid price CDs in the UK) but I'd really like to get it. So is it worth spashing out on? Advice welcome! Thanks Richard ------------------------------ From: BrthrJuan Message-ID: <41ce862.355c6df0@aol.com> Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 12:31:43 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Albums In a message dated 5/15/98 11:16:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time, dkocar@qn.net writes: > What is the best and most pure TMBG > album? the most pure TMBG album? well..the fact that they have made every one of their albums, i am going to say ALL OF THEM. their musical style has changed a little, but i for one don;t think that it has become any worse, in fact, i also like a lot of the newer stuff. there are songs on all the albums that i think some people could do without, but there are also those songs that you just love. ------------------------------ From: "Drunken Bird" Organization: Columbus State Univ.,Columbus, Ga. Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 12:58:37 EST Subject: TMBG: The World's Address (then it got remixed, now we don't kno Message-ID: <1E192C1531@colstate.edu> > I would have to say, hands down the best TMBG has to be The world's Address > (the Joshua Fried Re-mix) I don't know I used to Hate this song and then one > day I started to like but what finally put me over the edge was a night of > herbal enjoyment, Tacos, and They Might Be Giants. I mean really, what more do > you want? I would recommend this to any TMBG veteran. Listen to it again and > see the brilliance of Joshua Fried. Ah, you were taking drugs, and not in your right mind (in that order). The first would explain why you actually like this mixed up re-mix. It never did anything for me, besides make me consider of dropping it from my playlist, but I can't bear to do that; it still is TMBG after all. On the same note, I wonder if we can figure out what exactly about this remix that makes it (from what I gather off of web pages) the least popular They song. - DrunkenBird DrunkenBird@tmbg.org (who is proud to come out of his lurking, after being on the list for at least 7 months) ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9805151754.AA29676@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Joshua Fried Remix World's Address Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 13:54:51 -0400 (EDT) I tend to disagree with Brother John on his opinion of Joshua Fried's remix of The World's Address. I also disagree that it's TMBG worse song because it isn't even really their song anymore, merely a remix of what was a TMBG song. Just like countless other remixes have screwed up songs in the past, although I don't think this remix has screwed up this particular song, but has made it a cool entity in and of itself. I think one of the best lines out of a TMBG-related song is "Someone in the club tonight has stolen my ideas". I just think Joshua did a really good job with this remix unlike a number of remixes of other TMBG songs (The Guitar, SEXXY, etc). I also like the Istanbul (Brownsville remix), they both give me this feeling of wacky eclecticism. -Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 14:26:26 -0400 (EDT) From: 99 and 44/100% MIKe! Subject: Re: TMBG: Joshua Fried Remix World's Address Message-ID: I have no major problem with this remix, as it is somewhat more clever and varied than some of the others, such as the various SEXXY mixes which merely lapse into numbing repetitiveness. I've never fallen totally in love with Fried's remixing philosophies, though I think one can see that he truly likes the song and this does come through in the remix. Besides, since TMBG have never seemed a remix-ready band, odds are that any such reworking of a TMBG song will seem startling and strange even beyond initial listenings. Indeed, when looking for some sort of justification for remixing TMBG at all, I can only imagine that in every case, they all just thought it might be fun. These mixes hardly serve any other purpose - aside from SEXXY they'd be inappropriate as club mixes. Fried at the very least has tried to retain the core of the song even as he turns it upside down. For fun, see. Yeah. Like the King Missile - Ivan Ivan mixes of My Heart Is A Flower: sort of silly, not entirely necessary, but fun and unexpected. The one remix that I think really works, however, is the Dust Brothers' version of Snail Shell - minimalist as it is, it captures something about the song that I really like. It's much less grating and obvious than any of the other remixes I've heard (though the Guitar Outer Planet Mix can surely lull the listener into a fascinating trance). Since TMBG have never made what I would consider obviously commercial career decisions, the idea of the remix seems absurd in that context, yet perhaps that's even more of a reason for TMBG to do the occasional remix, for the perverse kick of it. And if you listen to most of them you will find that they don't further any commercial purpose. They're just bizarre and clever. MIKe Playground Justice in effect at www.journalx.com, if you dare Last LP purchased: Donald Fagen - The Nightfly CD currently playing: Ween - The Pod ------------------------------ From: Dr Worm X Message-ID: Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 14:25:31 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Johns on Clarissa - image everyone noticed the 2 they posters on her wall right? Matt The few surviving samurai surveyed the battle field, they count the arms, the legs, and heads, and then divide by five Simpsons quote of the post: "Kids can be so cruel" "We can?! Thanks mom!"-marge and bart http://members.aol.com/DrWormX ------------------------------ From: Dr Worm X Message-ID: <3b18bb44.355c89d6@aol.com> Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 14:30:45 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Albums I don't remember hearing anyone say this..EVER. matt- sigless ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199805151844.OAA09229@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 13:47:12 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: Albums At 02:30 PM 5/15/98 -0400, you wrote: >I don't remember hearing anyone say this..EVER. I've heard the opinion expressed many times. That TMBG was pure and good when it was just John and John, with no outside influence (be it from other band members, the evil giant record companies, or whatever). I think they've always been great, and continue to be great, but there are certainly those who'd prefer to return to the earlier days. Harf, Mitch A man said to the universe: "Sir, I exist!" "However," replied the universe, "The fact has not created in me a sense of obligation." - Stephen Crane ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot Message-ID: Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 15:19:25 EDT Subject: TMBG: Mike Leffel, FS, & other stuff.... As for someone who said Mike Leffel is a real person: Don't confuse the myth of Mike Leffel with the man himself...Maybe it's just me, but I feel this list has created a little bit of mystery & myth around the life & times of Mike Leffel (who, incidently, stopped posting as I first started, if I remember correctly, which I usually don't)... As for the whole FS, selling-out, creating a definining sound for the band, etc. Well, I think the thing that really strings all the songs together is the voices...John & John have together a distinctive voice (if that makes any sense...i.e.: if I hear a unknown TMBG song on the radio, I can tell it by the voice not the music. By unknown I mean the FNX plug I twice heard). SEXXY sounds a lot different musically from I Can Hear You, which differs from Pet Name, etc...etc...I can perhaps put several TMBG songs into a similar category, however, there is still a distinction...oh, & to further my point, isn't Your Own Worst Enemy a song done with a drum machine? Yet, I never recall anyone ever saying how much this song sounds like old TMBG...although I often nly skim pieces of the digest, so I may miss a lot. As for John Henry, I don't think it can be called "the worst album." Perhaps, the least diverse album...I feel that they explored fewer different styles on that album then any other, however, I don't think it's their worst (I can't name a worst album anyway)...if the songs from John Henry were split up over several albums, I think they'd be much more likeable(?), is that a word? ok, I could go on, but I won't...I didn't add enough backup arguements for all of what I said, but it's 3:19 in the afternoon & i'm sleepy... Jason "Der Kramer" Glastetter ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980515194145.9933.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Scott Reed" Subject: TMBG: Re: that girl? Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 12:41:45 PDT Does anyone else own the JH album t-shirt? Do you have problems when wearing it that people come up to you and ask who's on your shirt? do they think it's your sister and you had it done in the mall? Have you ever hauled off and slapped them down and kicked them? Just Askin' Scott Reed BTW - I think her name's Pearlie, at least I think that's what they refer to her as in the catalog (or maybe that's just close up on the eyes, and "Pearlie" could be someone else and not the girl with the Pick Hammer) GHI! ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9805151934.AA29763@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Re: that girl? Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 15:34:23 -0400 (EDT) > Does anyone else own the JH album t-shirt? Do you have problems when > wearing it that people come up to you and ask who's on your shirt? do > they think it's your sister and you had it done in the mall? Have you > ever hauled off and slapped them down and kicked them? Just Askin' Actually I went to Mars Supermarket once to cash a check and the woman asked if the girl was my daughter! I was 22 at the time and this girl is at least 10? Anyway, I laughed to myself about that for a while. > > BTW - I think her name's Pearlie, at least I think that's what they > refer to her as in the catalog (or maybe that's just close up on the > eyes, and "Pearlie" could be someone else and not the girl with the Pick > Hammer) I think you are refering to Pearl who hangs on the banners behind TMBG shows. That is a different girl than the John Henry Girl, Pearl's been around quite a bit longer. Wasn't the John Henry Girl given the name Persephone? After that big Mythology debate? -Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 16:07:52 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Albums In a message dated 5/15/98 11:16:30 AM, you wrote: > Hello everyone! I'm a fairly new member to this list, and this >is my first post. So far I've noticed that many people on this list do >not seem to like TMBG's most recent albums as much as the earlier ones. >I've read posts saying that Factory Showroom is weak, John Henry is the >worst, Apollo 18 is a poor choice to start out with for a new TMBG >listener, and Flood is just too silly and popular. I personally love >all of these albums, in addition to the earlier ones. Don't take offense, but that is a *horribly* ludicrous thing to say. The opinions of a few posts don't represent every one.. or even the majority for all I know. Also just because someone may not like 1 album as much as the other doesn't mean they hate it. Right now, I'd actually say my fave is JH. My overall favourite is a tie between A18 and pink. > It just seems to me that a lot of you listies have this idea of >pure TMBG and it hasn't been duplicated since the first couple albums. >Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the Pink Album and Lincoln. But >every album is good in its own way, and that should be appreciated. >What does everyone else think? What is the best and most pure TMBG >album? I don't know but I gather from your post that you think everyone on this list seems to dislike the last 3 or 4 albums.. pure tmbg? i'd say Misc. T. it encompasses a lot. sarah, painting her nails http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: <765f5497.355ca26e@aol.com> Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 16:15:40 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: The World's Address (then it got remixed, now we don't kno In a message dated 5/15/98 1:00:35 PM, THROWER_JASON@colstate.edu wrote: > >Ah, you were taking drugs, and not in your right mind (in that order). The first >would >explain why you actually like this mixed up re-mix. what in the hell? you have to have an excuse to like that song? yes i know it's probably as contorversial as the seinfinale, but come one, be reasonable!:) i happen to like the song. *someone in the club tonight has stolen my ideas!* * paging mr. sax-o-phoone..* sarah "writing a hit song.. is a real science!" -- k. mcdonald ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199805152030.PAA00294@cs.utexas.edu> Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 15:31:58 -0500 From: checkers Subject: TMBG: jh girl, persephone we did in fact have a vote to see what the name of the John Henry girl's name actually is, and during the course of the pre-vote debate, she came to me in a dream and told me to endorse the name persephone, and threatened to wreak havok on everyone if we didn't call her by her true name. when the ballots were cast, things were done right, and her name was officially persephone... coincidentally, she'd like to tell everyone that she's doing quite well these days... rabidchild (paul swan), as always, the voice of Persephone.... ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: Robert Plass Subject: TMBG: Karaoke TMBG Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 18:47:41 -0400 Hello exquisite living people, This is pretty...interesting. You can sing along to the MIDI files, since the words are on the screen. And, it has the famous JF/JL/Danny Bonaduce picture on top. I enjoyed it for a little while, maybe you will, too. I don't know who made it or anything, but good job! http://kite.ois.com.au/~doraemon/tmbg/supa.htm Okay, Robert Plass ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 15:45:13 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg: mike leffel again Message-ID: On Fri, 15 May 1998, Happyfroot wrote: > As for someone who said Mike Leffel is a real person: Don't confuse the > myth of Mike Leffel with the man himself...Maybe it's just me, but I > feel this list has created a little bit of mystery & myth around the > life & times of Mike Leffel (who, incidently, stopped posting as I first > started, if I remember correctly, which I usually don't)... as someone who has engaged in much off-list communication with the good mr. leffel, i can honestly tell you that the myth of mike leffel isn't too far off the mark. --jim kuemmerle, who thinks mostly that people just like mike a lot and miss him... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 15:38:35 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Albums Message-ID: On Fri, 15 May 1998, Diana Kocar wrote: > Hello everyone! I'm a fairly new member to this list, and this > is my first post. welcome to the list! :) > If I had to choose a most favorite album, however, I think I would > choose Apollo 18. that's my favorite as well, and i'll tell you why: it seems to me as though apollo 18 presents the strongest combination of lyrics and music of their albums. (all of this and the following is my humble opinion; i emphasize that i do not believe that this is necessarily true anywhere outside my own little universe:) if i were to rate the 7 albums (including misc. t) in terms of relative strength of lyrics (L) and music (M) (just compared to each other, mind you) this is what I get: 7| L M 6| LM 5| M L 4| M L 3| M L L 2| M 1| LM ___ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ p l m f A J F i i i l 1 H S n n s o 8 k c c o o d l T n i'd type something up to defend my little chart, but i'm too braindead at the moment. i do, however, feel that something that is missing from john henry and factory showroom is the diversity of sounds that they achieved in the other albums... almost like having a live band restricted the amount of sounds they were willing to explore... --jim kuemmerle, who doesn't know what he's talking about and tried three different drafts of the last paragraph before giving up... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu ------------------------------ From: "Mr. Me" Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 16:30:19 CST Subject: Re: TMBG: Joshua Fried Remix World's Address Message-ID: <4308D9B7B7D@athena.valpo.edu> the jf remix of the world's address is one of my favorite tmbg songs. i don't particularly care for the original, but the remix is quite clever, especially in terms of the little one line samples such as "can you give me a 10-9 on that thing there," which, in radio language, 10-9 means to repeat, kind of interesting that that sample is repeated. and the off-rhythm sample of 'paging mr. saxophone.' i don't know what fried's theories on remixes are, but i like his work with the world's address. it's clever even if there's only a fraction of the original song in it. jeremy [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] "Instead of creating new weapons of destruction, we ought to get some use out of the ones we already have." Deep Thoughts [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] Experience the many media of Jeremy Skrenes! Email: jskrenes@athena.valpo.edu Snail: or p356jskrenes@exodus.valpo.edu Wehrenberg Hall Airwaves: Sunday nights, 12-2am 95.1, WVUR Valparaiso, IN 46383 ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 16:41:57 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Re: my last post Message-ID: <19980515.171330.3294.2.gray42@juno.com> On Fri, 15 May 1998 10:55:09 EST "Drunken Bird" writes: > >> >> >now i don't want to induce any suicides or anything here so i'm >gonna >> >sum this up by telling you right now that you've got it better than > >> >someone out there... you may have to give some things up but in >the >> >end you may make yourself happier... >> > >> >> hehe, I can name 1, Marvin The Paraniod Android >> (I needed to say that) > >Don't you mean the Depressed Robot? or The Psychotic Cybernaut 8D -heh >- >Drunken Bird >DrunkenBird@tmbg.org >(who wonders the difference between 32 footsteps, the answer of 42, >and why robots like >the number 8.. whoops, whoops too late) > Mysterio Gal (fellow Subgenius & Happy Mutant) " If there were no doorknobs nobody would be abel to open the doors. Everybody would die" --Claire (age 6) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 17:12:34 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Albums Message-ID: <19980515.171331.3294.3.gray42@juno.com> Hmmmmmm *think think think* This is a tough one. I love them all equally, but if I over listen to an album, I start to not here it, because I'm so used to it, that's when I know to start listening to another one of my beloved albums. It also highly depends on my mood. Lately I've been obsessing over Then: The Earlier Years and Factory Showroom. :) Mysterio Gal (who has all favorites and NO dislikes) " If there were no doorknobs nobody would be abel to open the doors. Everybody would die" --Claire (age 6) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 16:25:09 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: That girl?/ Non TMBG: Tori Amos Message-ID: <19980515.171330.3294.0.gray42@juno.com> On Thu, 14 May 1998 16:54:45 -0500 (CDT) "Christopher M. Stangl" writes: > Mysterio Gal's a virgin! > Actually, the MORE SubGenius you are, the MORE YOU HATE "Rocky >Horror". Somehow it got picked as the antithesis of Bulldada. See >the >art manifesto in the back of "Revelation X" to see this straight from >the >festering mouths of the Church Elders. > -Rev. Chris Stangl > Happy 46th, DAVID BYRNE! > > Ha Ha, it's funny you say that cuse my other Mutant and SubGenius friends have never made any kind of big deal about the movie. Just my femmenist friends have. My fellow SubGenius buddies usually become excited about movie like: the Crawling Eye, or MST3K, or 7 Year itch (very good) and any David Lynch or experimental p**ns you can think of 8D Mysterio Gal (fellow virgin Subgenius & Happy Mutant) " If there were no doorknobs nobody would be abel to open the doors. Everybody would die" --Claire (age 6) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 16:33:13 -0400 Subject: TMBG: TMBMuppets! Message-ID: <19980515.171330.3294.1.gray42@juno.com> Ok, heres a fun one, If They were Muppets, which ones woulds They be (including Seseme Street. Here's whut I think, Flansie would be a great Ernie, and Linnell Would make a wonderful Bert, canb't you just see it :D This is a questio I often ask myself whenever I listen to Flood, particularly the later song They Might Be Giants, which I think sounds like it's being sung by the muppet monsters :) Mysterio Gal (fellow Subgenius & Happy Mutant) "They might be..............Defective!" --from some preview I saw of an upcomming Dreamworks movie:) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980516025008.14691.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Charis Campbell" Subject: TMBG: They'll Need A Crane Interps Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 19:50:08 PDT Thanks to everyone for their interpretations of They'll Need A Crane. I just ended a long-term relationship that was amazingly similar to the song, especially at the end. It was so hard becuase we still care about each other. We're going to remain friends. I haven't been able to put my feelings into words, but the interps are doing it quite nicely for me. I've e-mailed all of them to my ex so he too can see why our relationship failed. Thanks for helping out guys. LOL, Charis ************************************************************* * "And the truth is we don't know anything." * * - They Might Be Giants * ************************************************************* ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <355D2D4E.A87@fuse.net> Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 23:08:14 -0700 From: jays your one-paged dictionary Organization: dial-a-song! 718-287-6962, narrrrrrrrr! Subject: Re: TMBG: They'll Need A Crane Interps Charis Campbell wrote: > > Thanks to everyone for their interpretations of They'll Need A Crane. I > just ended a long-term relationship that was amazingly similar to the > song, especially at the end. It was so hard becuase we still care about > each other. We're going to remain friends. I haven't been able to put > my feelings into words, but the interps are doing it quite nicely for > me. I've e-mailed all of them to my ex so he too can see why our > relationship failed. Thanks for helping out guys. > > LOL, > Charis > actually, my interperetation of "they'll need a crane" deals more with the meticulously planned, abuse-inspired plot of lad to end the life of gal, his fiancee. lad is saddened by her drinking problem--"gal thinks jim beam is handsomer than lad." he may be domestically abused by her in the home, and his self esteem is going out the window. "lad looks at other gals" intones that he views females in other relationships and the kindness they display; seeing nothing but hatred and loathing in his drunken fiancee, he finally snaps and decides to kill her by breaking down the house that he built, while she sleeps peacefully inside. the "nightmare people" bridge, taken literally, could speak of a freudian slip experienced by lad while talking via phone to his fiancee. he sees himself as a nightmare person, due to her constant criticism, and when she believes he's called her such, he hastens to correct his error before being forced to again face her wraith. "baby, wait, i didn't mean to say nightmare!" "they'll need a crane," in a nutshell, means that, in order to break down the house, he'll need a group of friends to use a crane. hey, it's a stretch, but it gives us all hope. peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jay. -- jayhc, looking death right in the eyes and pissing his pants. e-mail: sirjamez@fuse.net, phonebook@tmbg.org aol im: SaturnChrd, PhoneBookJ irc: PhoneBook "and sadly the cross-eyed bear's been put to sleep behind the stairs, and his shoes are laced with irony." --tmbg "Hey, some people take drugs and some people like to have sex all day, I like to watch my bees as I make music, so what." --steve vai -- ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 21:12:09 +0100 From: "Courtney L. Patubo" Subject: TMBG: duuuuh... my photo Me and my fast typing um, "skills" strike again. http://www.hooked.net/~cpatubo/me/cp02.jpg THAT SHOULD BE IT! (the picture that is) Must be the OD of jolly ranchers... C o u r t n e y L . P a t u b o http://www.hooked.net/~cpatubo ICQ: 3762743 Do not taunt happy fun ball. ------------------------------ From: Superman25 Message-ID: <85133136.355d1ba1@aol.com> Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 00:52:48 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBMuppets! hi. << This is a question I often ask myself whenever I listen to Flood, particularly the later song They Might Be Giants, which I think sounds like it's being sung by the muppet monsters :) >> thank you. you are the only other person i have ever heard of that has ever understood that. the first time i mentioned that it sounds like a muppet (IMHO, the big ones that were just guys in suits) to my girlfriend, she looked at me as if i were insane and just humored me. as for which muppets the johns would be, grover for linnell. flans, i can't see anyone for him. i was thinking tully, but it just doesn't fit. i'm sure there must be someone. adam schaaf, who wonders what the johns would look like if they were muppet babies. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #6-16 *****************************