Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #6-17 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 6, Number 17 Sunday, 17 May 1998 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: listie photos TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #6-16 TMBG: John Henry In 3D Re: TMBG: Albums Re: TMBG: John Henry In 3D Re: TMBG: Will Contact Leffel Re: TMBG: non-tmbg: mike leffel again Re: TMBG: non-tmbg: mike leffel again TMBG: Blackbeans, Bluebirds, and Sulfurous Pterodactyls TMBG: Listie Photos, Leffel semi-TMBG: Muppets Re: TMBG: Listie Photos, Leffel Re: semi-TMBG: Muppets TMBG: Re: TMBMuppets Re: TMBG: Listie Photos, Leffel NON-TMBG: These annoying vcard.vcf files TMBG: She Was A Hotel Detective Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980516015354.0068cb00@pop.indy.net> Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 01:53:54 -0400 From: rachel Subject: Re: TMBG: listie photos ok, ok, in all seriousness, heres a photo of me (i know i'm going to regret this someday). http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Museum/5039/rachel1.jpg lovies, rachel ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 03:15:07 -0400 (EDT) From: Majordomo Message-Id: <199805160715.DAA27003@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT When you send a message to the list you are sending messages to hundreds of people. Make sure that your message is one that hundreds of people need to read. Do not send "me too" messages to the list. Do not send messages about non-tmbg topics to the list. Hold private conversations in private e-mail. Sending messages that the list administrator deems off topic will result in your being removed from the list. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 04:59:58 -0400 (EDT) From: gorski Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #6-16 Message-ID: }From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd } }>--jim kuemmerle, who has over 500 messages in his inbox for occasions such }>as this... that and the fact that i'm extremely disorganized... } }Pshaw, child's play. I have over 2000, spanning a little over a year, and }I delete my old TMBG digests. (Not that I don't love them, but my primary }hard drive is only so big.) Inbox? I try and keep that pretty clean, or I'd never get to my messages... vnet hates me now though, because I don't have space on my own drive either;> excerpts from du: 35953 ./mail 96360 . and that's just what's on vnet, since sdi.rh went down at the end of ncsu's semester ;) }From: Jonathan Chaffer } }>and of course there was the blue dog / pink album extravaganza.... i }>wonder who all has been around forever... i never have the same name on my }>email, and in addition to that pretty much just lurk, so i guess that for }>the most part people don't know who i am, but i have been on the list }>forever... can't remember the first things from when i got on the list... 4 ehe. I've been around the List for a very long time too... (with a long break when the old server went away, because I didn't know where the new one was for a very long time). I almost never post, though... occasionally did on the Old List, only a couple times in memory on the New List. The Pink Album was affectionately called Restless by a few of us for a while (friends, no Listees that I remember) because Restless was one of the most prominent words on the box besides the band name... (remember when CDs came in boxes (boxen?) instead of just cellophane wrapped jewel cases? No? well then, I guess I feel old... (yeah, that's right, I got that one *after* a cd player. :> My very first CD was Misc T, though.)) --chris "what do you mean my use of parentheses unmistakably identifies me as a computer geek??" gorski ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 08:58:05 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <3.0.16.19980516085557.37572c88@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu> From: Harry Subject: TMBG: John Henry In 3D Crayola used to (and hopefully stills does) market a set of markers that came with little paper/plastic glasses. If you used the color combinations recommended on the box (greens and blues for background, reds and oranges for foreground), you could basically draw something that would then look 3D through the glasses. When the initial novelty of the markers wore off, we goofed around looking at other stuff through the glasses. Much to my surprise and delight, the cover of John Henry matches the required color combination better than anything I could draw with the markers. The girl with the pick axe floats out of the green background excellently. If you can get ahold of this product and like a cheap thrill, this is one I recommend. Hair Knight "Everything sticks like a broken record Knight.49@osu.edu Everything sticks like a broken record Justahobby@tmbg.org Everything sticks until it goes away http://members.tripod.com/~jahobby And the truth is we don't know anything..." -They Might Be Giants, "Anna Ng" ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 11:40:08 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <3.0.16.19980516113800.2a4f5e9e@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu> From: Harry Subject: Re: TMBG: Albums I don't care what they say, I won't stay in a world without my John Henry. I've packed it and Back To Skull in a double disk case and it's all the They I need some days. They are rocking at their hardest but still tweaking that freak flag flavor. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980516160036.007354dc@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 11:00:36 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: John Henry In 3D At 08:58 AM 5/16/98 -0400, Harry wrote: > Crayola used to (and hopefully stills does) market a set of markers that >came with little paper/plastic glasses. If you used the color combinations >recommended on the box (greens and blues for background, reds and oranges >for foreground), you could basically draw something that would then look 3D >through the glasses. > When the initial novelty of the markers wore off, we goofed around >looking at other stuff through the glasses. Much to my surprise and >delight, the cover of John Henry matches the required color combination >better than anything I could draw with the markers. The girl with the pick >axe floats out of the green background excellently. > If you can get ahold of this product and like a cheap thrill, this is >one I recommend. I believe what you are talking about is Chromateks Chromadepth process. You can order a pair of the glasses from their website www.chromatek.com (I believe). I was introduced to these from comics and Valiant Vision. They are fun, I love to make pictures on the computer with it... See ya, LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sat, 16 May 98 14:39 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Will Contact Leffel >Ah, yes, the blue-vs-pink debate, probably the list's first major discussion >topic. Anyone else here remember that one? Yeah, but I think I may have just been there for one of its reincarnations, not the original debate. :} Kirsten -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "You think you're so funny, but looks aren't everything." - Lincoln "Wish You Were Dead" Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sat, 16 May 98 14:52 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: non-tmbg: mike leffel again >--jim kuemmerle, who thinks mostly that people just like mike a lot and >miss him... Ditto. If only because, with Elitza gone as well, there's no one who understands when I make jokes about Country Time lemonade. *sigh* Kirsten "COUNTRY TIME FOR EVERYONE!!" Brodbeck -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "You think you're so funny, but looks aren't everything." - Lincoln "Wish You Were Dead" Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980516192903.0069f33c@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 14:29:03 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: non-tmbg: mike leffel again I've got an idea. Since we love the "hater of Lifield" so much, we should start a letter campaign to get They to write a song about him. -or- we could write a song about him, and start a letter campaign. Hey I'd definitely help out, I'd love to make Leffel even bigger than the list then he already is. LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ From: Vandal191 Message-ID: <2c015699.355d319a@aol.com> Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 02:26:32 EDT Subject: TMBG: Blackbeans, Bluebirds, and Sulfurous Pterodactyls Dear Compatriots and Acquaintances, As I, The Moose, lurk in an unsatisfied, caffeine-fueled walking slumber, I realize that I have not read, nor posted to the list since being crippled at play. I'll admit, it's nothing as dramatic or as inspiring of empathy as a diabetic coma, but I hurted my back during hockey. Very much. For the sake of convenience, I subscribe to the digest form of the list. It's been weeks since any of the digests have been short enough to read without downloading a file. I demand that all of you quit having opinions, or at least become conservatives so they'll be shorter and more fun. Mike Leffel, where are you, enigmatic humorist? If this list were Ratt, Mike would be the guy with the black foppy thing on his head and the rest of us would be tambourine players. He would do the outrageous interviews for Rolling Stone that would draw us into feuds with those cheap Ratt rip-offs "Krokus", and we would sit quietly behind him snorting cocaine. Or, at least, that's the way I see it. Relationships and how they could easily be replaced with late night Cinemax programming: I am in a happy relationship with the one kind of person whom momma had always warned me about. When I was a li'l nuckling, she said "Moosey, you remember what I'm about to tell you, because it's gonna be the most important thing you'll ever learn. Never get involved with any Catholics. And never get involved with anybody with money. And most important; never, EVER, get involved with any Catholics with money." Ashley, a really lousy Catholic sitting on a giant pile of farm family money, is the absolute apple of my eye. I love her to death. The feeling is mutual, I think. ~Moo "Did I spell tambourine right?" se "I'm not Catholic, but I go to confession all the time. I say, 'Bless me father, for I have sinned...I'm only in here to develop film.' " ------------------------------ Message-ID: <355E0429.1A148E7A@pop3.concentric.net> Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 16:24:58 -0500 From: Anastasia Hunt Organization: bfe Productions Subject: TMBG: Listie Photos, Leffel Hi all, I'm probably going to be really sorry I did this, but here goes. My dear friend Jesse (from this list) scanned some photos for me. He posted them on his website: http://www.weblink.org/weblink/me They are ana1-5. Muchas Gracias, Jesse. Mwuuah!!!! And for the record, I miss Mike Leffel too. Anastasia [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/x-vcard)] ------------------------------ Subject: semi-TMBG: Muppets Message-ID: <19980515.134215.4695.2.winningh@juno.com> From: winningh@juno.com (Winningham S. Sarah) Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 13:43:30 EDT Rather than Bert and Ernie my brother suggests that green scientist guy w/glasses and his skinny non-communicative friend who goes meep alot. Guess which John is which >:} Sarah Winningham Leffell wherever you are baby, just remember- Vi casa beano laga, Vi casa beano couscous; That means I don't get mad; I get even _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: <8182c638.355e166a@aol.com> Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 18:42:49 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Listie Photos, Leffel why was there a file attached with this? "vcard.vcf"? what is this? I'm puzzled... sarah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980516224955.006a9418@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 17:49:55 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: semi-TMBG: Muppets At 01:43 PM 5/16/98 EDT, Winningham S. Sarah wrote: >Rather than Bert and Ernie my brother suggests that green scientist guy >w/glasses and his skinny non-communicative friend who goes meep alot. >Guess which John is which >:} That would be Bunson Honeydue (sp?) and Beaker. Such a punnerful name. LDB, who really hates puns... -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ From: Spoonerism Message-ID: <13c0c9b2.355e19b0@aol.com> Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 18:56:47 EDT Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBMuppets Hmm, how about Bunson for Flans and Beaker for Linnell? Just hope poor Linnell doesn't get exploded or shrunk or anything.... -CAsey "The only difference between the Surrealists and me is that I am a Surrealist." - Salvador Dali ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19980517002004.0085a100@mail-in.keme.net> Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 00:20:04 +0100 From: Squidgy Colin Subject: Re: TMBG: Listie Photos, Leffel At 18:42 16/05/98 EDT, you wrote: >why was there a file attached with this? "vcard.vcf"? what is this? I'm >puzzled... > No more than I! I have no idea of the file type... Please explain... PLEASE!!!! --Cols, ~THE ELLESLEYS~ (of Colchester-Essex-UK) Home Page: Http://www.keme.co.uk/~thelimes/ TMBG page: Http://members.xoom.com/uncle_squid/Xoom/ -------------------===============------------------ Everthing I bought was really cheap and everything I did I did for me Now you and I are lovers that's not true and everything you do you do for you - The Sultans of ping "Everything you do, you do for you" -------------------===============------------------ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980516193712.006a4c68@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 19:37:12 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: NON-TMBG: These annoying vcard.vcf files At 06:42 PM 5/16/98 EDT, KdsInThHal wrote: >why was there a file attached with this? "vcard.vcf"? what is this? I'm >puzzled... I've been annoyed by these files too, so I did a search. According to http://www.imc.org/pdi/ : <> It's considered bad form to send attachments to a mailing list, and I find these electronic business cards _especially_ annoying. Searching for vcard.vcf turns up a bunch of results of people on mailing lists complaining about these files... To Jon or Leo - is there a way to configure the mailing list software to strip away attachments or refuse messages with attachments? I've seen something along those lines for SmartMail, but I don't know if there's something comparable for Majordomo... -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980517011024.3323.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Jason F." Subject: TMBG: She Was A Hotel Detective Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 18:10:24 PDT Several points of interest (to me anyway): - As far as who sings the high parts on SWAHD, I quote one of the newsletters: "Who did the falsetto in 'She Was A Hotel Detective' on the Back to Skull EP?" "On the record it's Linnell, slightly sped up so he could reach the high notes. Live it's Flansburgh, which may have partly inspired his new song 'How Can I Sing Like A Girl?'" Also, - I accidentally deleted the message before I replied, so whoever sent me the Skeleton Key information, thanks. - I personally think the Pink Album is the best nickname for the Pink Album, so I'm not suggesting anything different, but the words "Grand Opening" are pretty prominent on the cover. You know, the first album, grand opening...not a good nickname but an observation nonetheless (one that may have been made by someone else, but I don't know) - I hope that it really isn't the general opinion that John Henry is a weak album. Personally, it's one of my favorites, probably the most played in my collection. - Has anyone received a newsletter recently? I realize they're few and far between, but I haven't gotten one since early '97 I think. The one with John and John posing for a Japanese photographer on the cover. Have I been missing out? They usually seem to be bi-annual. That's it...thanks. --Jason "post-Leffell listie" Fickley (that sounds really weird) "Hot Cha, where are you? Everybody's eyes are closed." -They Might Be Giants ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #6-17 *****************************