Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #6-2 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 6, Number 2 Saturday, 2 May 1998 Today's Topics: non-ish TMBG: the People '50 Most' poll & Hank NON-TMBG: a contributing factor toward hank's popularity... Re: NON-TMBG: a contributing factor toward hank's popularity... TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ TMBG: 50 most beautiful people update... Re: non-ish TMBG: the People '50 Most' poll & Hank TMBG: 50 most beautiful people update... TMBG: My evil twin Non-TMBG: Poll standings Re: Non-TMBG: Poll standings TMBG: fake votes TMBG: Beautiful John Re: TMBG: Re: Cookies and Linnell Re: TMBG: Re: Cookies and Linnell TMBG: Linnell's off TMBG: Linnell's not off for long!! Re: TMBG: Re: Cookies and Linnell Re: TMBG: Linnell's off TMBG: Oh well. Re: TMBG: Linnell's off Re: TMBG: Oh well. TMBG: what's up with People today...? TMBG: People Most Beautiful Poll.. Re: TMBG: People Most Beautiful Poll.. TMBG: Linnell in People TMBG: Linnell's off and on... (???) Re: TMBG: 50 most beautiful people update... Re: TMBG: Re: Cookies and Linnell Re: TMBG: People Most Beautiful Poll.. Re: TMBG: People Most Beautiful Poll.. Non-TMBG: what's up with People today...? Non-TMBG: People Most Beautiful Poll.. Re: Non-TMBG: Poll standings Re: TMBG: Linnell's off Re: Non-TMBG: what's up with People today...? Re: TMBG: Linnell's off Re: TMBG: Linnell's off Re: TMBG: Linnell's off NON-TMBG: Linnell's off Re: Non-TMBG: what's up with People today...? TMBG: rock on, inner beauty and talent! 49 essential vitamins! Re: TMBG: rock on, inner beauty and talent! 49 essential vitamins! TMBG: Latest Results! Re: TMBG: rock on, inner beauty and talent! for that not-so-fresh , feeling! Re: TMBG: rock on, inner beauty and talent! 49 essential vitamins! TMBG: Review of and comment upon VA Beach show Non-TMBG: rock on, inner beauty and talent! 49 essential Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: <77ce9588.35497149@aol.com> Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 02:52:55 EDT Subject: non-ish TMBG: the People '50 Most' poll & Hank So. While reading about Jonathan Taylor Thomas's sexuality and the marrigae of Fred Savage and Neil Patrick Harris over in alt.showbiz.gossip, I fell upon dozens of Hank threads. If you are as curious as I was to see this guy: http://www.eclipse.net/~vog/images/midgets.gif Apparently there is also a page dedicated to him, but -hey- look at that.. IE just quit on me. Heh. Not so unusual. Anyways.. http://www.geocities.com/FashionAvenue/5835/index.html sarah, who yes, represented Linnell boy on asg. linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 01:06:01 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: NON-TMBG: a contributing factor toward hank's popularity... Message-ID: On Fri, 1 May 1998, KdsInThHal wrote: > http://www.eclipse.net/~vog/images/midgets.gif AHA!! this explains (in part) the ubiquity of dear ol' hank... when i saw that picture, i *knew* i'd seen it somewhere before. try visiting www.suck.com (if you get this later, click backwards to thursday's editorial. it should say Hit & Run up toward the top. right beneath that is a picture of hank. click on that, and you go to a page where you can directly vote for hank, much like the other page that sarah listed in her post. suck gets visited by thousands of people per day, and to get linked to by suck will overwhelm all but the hardiest of home pages.... it's like having a freefont in the chank archives... --jim kuemmerle, who will have you know that john linnell is about to pass hanson!!! j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 03:12:08 EDT Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: a contributing factor toward hank's popularity... In a message dated 5/1/98 2:07:05 AM, J.Kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu wrote: >--jim kuemmerle, who will have you know that john linnell is about to pass >hanson!!! you know I've been thinking.. someone has GOT to get this news to the band.. too bad this thing didn't start last week.. I would have mentioned it to Hal or Dan fer sure! ;) what a... "hoot". sarah ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 03:15:01 -0400 (EDT) From: Majordomo Message-Id: <199805010715.DAA28631@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT When you send a message to the list you are sending messages to hundreds of people. Make sure that your message is one that hundreds of people need to read. Do not send "me too" messages to the list. Do not send messages about non-tmbg topics to the list. Hold private conversations in private e-mail. Sending messages that the list administrator deems off topic will result in your being removed from the list. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 01:15:11 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: 50 most beautiful people update... Message-ID: woohoo!!! john has now passed sarah michelle gellar (of 'buffy the vampire slayer') AND hanson! unfortunately, he's only at #11 (although that's #10 if you don't count that stupid flash mountain business) and he still has a lot of ground to cover to catch up with kate (glub glub) winslet... of course, there's no telling how all this could change depending on how they process the votes, but as it stands right now, john is in good shape! 8.Madonna, 4694 9.The guy behind Flasher #4 at FlashMountain.com, 4651 10.Kate Winslet, 4375 11.John Linnell, 2788 12.Sarah Michelle Gellar, 2783 13.Hanson, 2767 14.Garett Maggart, 2658 --jim kuemmerle, who should probably take a break from all this ballot-stuffing to actually do some schoolwork... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199805010716.DAA28840@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 02:17:52 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: non-ish TMBG: the People '50 Most' poll & Hank >Apparently there is also a page dedicated to him, but -hey- look at that.. IE >just quit on me. Heh. Not so unusual. Anyways.. > > http://www.geocities.com/FashionAvenue/5835/index.html Yes, and also on that page is a way to vote for Hank without typing in his name. I've created a similar option on my page, that votes for John Linnell without having to type his name. If you want to use it, or want to tell friends to use it, or whatever, here is the URL: Harf, Mitch "You have not lost interest in muffins, you just had 1 muffin you didn't enjoy." Support the Harf Project: All your questions answered, all your problems solved: ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 01:21:18 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: 50 most beautiful people update... Message-ID: oh, i forgot to mention: hanson (and other 'normal' choices ;P ) are almost certain to mount a resurgence once the teenybopper crowd wakes up tomorrow... there's no telling how tenuous this rank may be... --jim kuemmerle, votes #2801, 2803, 2805, and 2807... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ SKULL MOUNTAIN: we'll meet at the end of the tour... http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/skullmountain.html ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19980501110619.008164e0@mail-in.keme.net> Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 11:06:19 +0100 From: The Ellesleys Subject: TMBG: My evil twin Hello list-type-peeps, I have now met my evil twin. She is called Kate. To be more precise, we are evil twins of each other. Not only is she my evil twin but I have lent her Flood! But, wait, that isn't it! I have also lent Then to my ex-g/f's Dad! I am recruiting new Giant head all the time here in the UK! Maybe then They'll tour here before long!?! I WISH... Anyways, I thought you'd want to know what was going on the other side of the world (where everything sounds like a backwards record and water spirals the wrong way down the sink etc...). --Colin the thick Brit ~THE ELLESLEYS~ (of Colchester-Essex-UK) Home Page: Http://www.keme.co.uk/~thelimes/ TMBG page: Http://members.xoom.com/uncle_squid/Xoom/ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ If some girl tried to kick my ass, I'd be like "Hey, why don't you stop dressing me up like a mail-man and making me dance for you while you go and smoke crack and in your bedroom and have sex with some guy in don't even know on my Dad's bed!" - Cartman (From South Park) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199805011419.KAA06353@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 09:20:18 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Non-TMBG: Poll standings Apparently they remove the "fake votes" nightly or something, as Linnell is now at #14 with 1668 votes, whereas last night he had well over 2000. Harf, Mitch ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3549EA1D.70902003@ibm.net> Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 11:28:30 -0400 From: Robyn Miller Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Poll standings No... he's ar #11 with 3165 votes. Well, even if they do take out the duplicate browser votes, I just hope that John beats out Hanson... proving that TMBG fans are was cooler than all of those teeny-boppers out there. :) Besides, wouldn't it be sad for John to lose to little boys that look like girls? I think so. :P -Robyn- ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9805011513.AA21544@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: fake votes Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 11:13:42 -0400 (EDT) For a while I couldn't understand why people were reporting higher votes and then the next day reporting lower votes only to report the next day that the votes were even higher than the original day. So yes, it looks like they are taking out duplicate votes nightly. It must be hard to keep up with, I wonder if they have a whole team of People internet gurus dedicated to making sure this poll comes out right. That's good news for John, it appears that his thousands of votes may indeed be from different browsers. Or else they'll do a thorough sweep at the end and really set this thing straight. -Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000301bd7520$433b3980$481e8a81@refund.rcn.nmt.edu> From: "Refund" Subject: TMBG: Beautiful John Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 10:43:25 -0600 I still have Linnell at #11 with 3180 votes...FYI Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the state of New Mexico. And whoever said there's nothing new under the sun never thought much about individuals, but he's dead anyway. The Refreshments -- Down Together. P.S. Visit www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Amphitheatre/5550/ The first Julie Plug tribute page in HISTORY!!! :0) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 14:09:56 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Woodward Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Cookies and Linnell Message-id: On Thu, 30 Apr 1998, King of Wingo wrote: > Okay, maybe so, but there must, MUST, be a way to cheat, otherwise how did > Flasher #6 get to the number 2 spot overnight? I don't think that many people > voted for him....cheating, a little, ya think? So if it's not the erase the > cookie bit, what is it? IP Spoofing? * ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Josh Woodward, CheEsy Fru. joshw@mail.bgsu.edu Web Site and Tape List: http://www.dc-adnet.com/joshw/ "We know something must happen to every dream. I don't know what will happen to the other dreams, But I know what will happen to me." --Peter Mulvey ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 14:12:54 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Woodward Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Cookies and Linnell Message-id: On Thu, 30 Apr 1998, Jish wrote: > Wrong...ISPs with dynamic IP could allocate the same IP to many different > people over the course of time so that is why the system does use cookies > and not IP addresses as its check Wrong.. it _DOES_ use IP addresses as at least part of its check. I set up a script to generate 1,000 hits from one machine with a static IP, and only the first was added. * ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Josh Woodward, CheEsy Fru. joshw@mail.bgsu.edu Web Site and Tape List: http://www.dc-adnet.com/joshw/ "We know something must happen to every dream. I don't know what will happen to the other dreams, But I know what will happen to me." --Peter Mulvey ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9805011800.AA21743@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Linnell's off Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 14:00:37 -0400 (EDT) It appears that Linnell is off the top 20 Most Beautiful People list. Either, 90% of his votes were from the same IP (i.e. the cookie thing didn't work) and he has less than 244 unique votes, or they just got so fed up with the same people voting for him that they took him off the list. I'm biased towards the former since a number of the celebs have dramatically dropped in number. -Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 12:23:51 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: Linnell's not off for long!! Message-ID: On Fri, 1 May 1998, Matthew James wrote: > It appears that Linnell is off the top 20 Most Beautiful People list. > Either, 90% of his votes were from the same IP (i.e. the cookie thing > didn't work) and he has less than 244 unique votes, or they just got so > fed up with the same people voting for him that they took him off the > list. I'm biased towards the former since a number of the celebs have > dramatically dropped in number. well, i guess that settles the whole cheating business, huh? HOWEVER: don't give up the fight! we still have another week to get him back on the list by legitimate means! (btw, let's call off all non-legit attempts to keep from getting a false sense of security, AGAIN...) tell all those sympathetic to the cause! hoist the standard of linnell and sally forth! cry forth for accordion players and arthouse sex gods everywhere!! chaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarge!! --jim kuemmerle, who apparently gets a teensy bit overdramatic about this sort of thing... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 11:20:22 -0700 (PDT) From: John Henton Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Cookies and Linnell Message-ID: > Wrong.. it _DOES_ use IP addresses as at least part of its check. I set up > a script to generate 1,000 hits from one machine with a static IP, and > only the first was added. I'm not sure how it works, i'm seriously doubting that it's IP addresses alone. How did your test work, did it use cookies? the same cookie? new cookies every round? The script I wrote a few nights ago has been working to an extent. -- John ------------------------------ From: Kaylum Message-ID: <8f807315.354a1ead@aol.com> Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 15:12:44 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell's off << It appears that Linnell is off the top 20 Most Beautiful People list. Either, 90% of his votes were from the same IP (i.e. the cookie thing didn't work) and he has less than 244 unique votes, or they just got so fed up with the same people voting for him that they took him off the list. I'm biased towards the former since a number of the celebs have dramatically dropped in number. >> Something's *definitely* wrong. Even if Linnell has less than 244 unique votes (which I find hard to believe), there's no way that all of the people still on the list do have as many unique votes as it says they do. Kay ------------------------------ From: Monotreme3 Message-ID: <9ea64161.354a26f8@aol.com> Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 15:48:07 EDT Subject: TMBG: Oh well. Oh... Linnell's off just because they took away all the fake votes. Um... go Hank. ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9805011949.AA21799@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell's off Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 15:49:40 -0400 (EDT) > << It appears that Linnell is off the top 20 Most Beautiful People list. > Either, 90% of his votes were from the same IP (i.e. the cookie thing > didn't work) and he has less than 244 unique votes, or they just got so > fed up with the same people voting for him that they took him off the > list. I'm biased towards the former since a number of the celebs have > dramatically dropped in number. >> > > Something's *definitely* wrong. Even if Linnell has less than 244 unique > votes (which I find hard to believe), there's no way that all of the people > still on the list do have as many unique votes as it says they do. > I do and I don't agree. For one thing, it seems to be true that Howard Stern knows of this list and is pushing for Hank, the Angry, Drunken Dwarf to top it. I know this because I heard Stern himself talking about it on a radio promo. Since Stern has easily a few million listeners I could see how maybe 5% of his listeners (200,000 or more people) would vote. Other people like Madonna, Gillian Anderson, and Leonardo DiCaprio are well known around the world so they could easily get a few thousand votes. But then you have people like Linda Comer and Faye Wong, 2 people I've never heard of who have 9,882 and 5,108 votes, respectively. So I'm not sure what is up. -Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: EmmyMik Message-ID: <1dc9aa27.354a2b5c@aol.com> Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 16:06:50 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Oh well. In a message dated 98-05-01 15:51:51 EDT, you write: << Oh... Linnell's off just because they took away all the fake votes >> He couldn't have that many fake votes. He's been on it for days, and since they probably take off all of the fake votes over night, wouldn't he have been off a long time ago, or at least still be on with the 200 and something votes he had on Wednesday? Oh well... ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 16:37:55 -0400 (EDT) From: pnaomi@tmbg.org Message-Id: <199805012037.QAA09675@bird.taponline.com> Subject: TMBG: what's up with People today...? hey there. you may have noticed, there is a rather large discrepancy between the CGI page that loads when you Submit a vote and the CGI page that loads when you are viewing the Results. i was making my rounds on all the computers in this cluster, Doing My Part to see Linnell on the MBPeople list, and then i checked my email and here everybody on the list is all disheartened because our boy lost it... so i thought, but wait! it says on the page (after i hadthat submitted another tally) that he's at number 9, with like 6000 votes! but for some reason the "results" page says he has less than 250 votes... so i wanna know, what's up with that? obviously, the "Submit" page is updated much more often than the "Results" page, since the submit page is updated with every tally. so when was the last time the Results page was actually updated? i think this whole contest is totally rigged, by the way. it is not uncommon for bastions of "popular culture" like People magazine to issue VIP votes, so that persons with large amounts of fame/money/political influence/whatever get ridiculous amounts of weight in the poll. this way, the people that the media wants us to see as beautiful will stay in the limelight... well, i've got two more computer labs to go, so i should tank up on some caffeine or something. don't let the dream die... or something... yeah. --pnaomi, conspiracy theorist extraordinaire ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 17:09:38 -0400 (EDT) From: Beth Connell Subject: TMBG: People Most Beautiful Poll.. Message-ID: As of 5pm ET, here's the vote tabulation.. 1. Hank the Angry, Drunken Dwarf: 197288 votes 2. Linda Comer: 9881 votes 3. Leonardo DiCaprio: 9361 votes 4. Gillian Anderson: 5992 votes 5. Faye Wong: 5098 6. Kate Winslet: 4850 7. Madonna: 4791 8. Michelle Kwan: 4773 ** 9. John Linnell: 3200 ** 10. Sarah Michelle Gellar: 3000 11. Hanson: 2900 12. Hudson Leick: 2320 13. Mariah Carey: 2200 14. Backstreet Boys: 1800 15. Janet Jackson: 1800 16. Lucy Lawless: 1670 17. Matt Damon: 847 18. Renee O'Connor: 599 19. Eric Cartman: 527 20. Robert Larkington: 439 Hee. :) Beth -<*>- http://www.cgicafe.com/~soulfire | "I want to raise my freak flag higher and higher..." -TMBG | "Rock Climbing, Joel. Rock Climbing." -Tom Servo, MST3K | "I love humans. Always seeing patterns in things that aren't there." -Dr. Who (8th Doctor) | Odangos, anyone? -<*>- ------------------------------ From: EmmyMik Message-ID: Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 17:13:49 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: People Most Beautiful Poll.. I will celebrate by playing my TMBG cds with my little sister, whom I have made a fan into! Down with Hanson! Up with Linnell! ------------------------------ From: Monotreme3 Message-ID: Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 17:20:46 EDT Subject: TMBG: Linnell in People Okay. I think I'm gonna take all my mails to this list and put them together in a novel. It'll be #1. It'll be called The Confusion of a Monotreme. Anyway... um... yay Linnell. I'm not gonna vote for him or anything because I already have a lot and I don't want to risk messing anything up. It's like a really nice model that you've got all finished, but now you can't touch it for fear of breaking it. -Carey ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 15:27:14 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: Linnell's off and on... (???) Message-ID: On Fri, 1 May 1998, Matthew James wrote: > Since Stern has easily a few million listeners I could see how maybe 5% > of his listeners (200,000 or more people) would vote. Other people like > Madonna, Gillian Anderson, and Leonardo DiCaprio are well known around > the world so they could easily get a few thousand votes. But then you > have people like Linda Comer and Faye Wong, 2 people I've never heard of > who have 9,882 and 5,108 votes, respectively. So I'm not sure what is > up. let's see what a little surfing can turn up: ... Faye Wong is an actress and musician out of hong kong. i could see hong kong pulling together 5000 votes. she seems to have about as devoted a following the johns do with us... quite a few fan sites. most in chinese from what i gathered. plus, she's got a plug on that page with all the radio buttons. as for Linda Comer... Linda Comer is a columnist for MacWorld magazine. my guess is that her supporters just have more foolproof ways of cheating. ;) i wasn't able to find any Linda Comer fan sites. ... WHOA!! he's back up again!? what the hell is going on?? ... by the way, i don't think our votes are being directly tabulated on that page anymore... i just submitted a fresh, unique vote and pulled up exactly the same numbers beth connell posted just a moment ago... i guess maybe they've installed some sort of code to do the IP address checks as they come in, and only refresh the results, say, once every hour or so? --jim kuemmerle, who wants to do this again next year with flans, (or maybe heather havrilesky ('polly esther' of suck.com...) despite the fact that the only pictures around of her are cartoons drawn by terry colon)... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980501213542.0072ef50@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 16:35:42 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: 50 most beautiful people update... Too bad this aint a Hacker group, we could send one of the hackers to hack the webpage so that without changing what it says, make it always vote for John Syd. LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980501214003.0073d9ac@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 16:40:03 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Cookies and Linnell That's why you should add some IP spoofing to it, check some back issues of Phrack and then Linny can become god without any deletes of dupes... LDB At 02:12 PM 5/1/98 -0400, Josh Woodward wrote: >On Thu, 30 Apr 1998, Jish wrote: > >> Wrong...ISPs with dynamic IP could allocate the same IP to many different >> people over the course of time so that is why the system does use cookies >> and not IP addresses as its check > >Wrong.. it _DOES_ use IP addresses as at least part of its check. I set up >a script to generate 1,000 hits from one machine with a static IP, and >only the first was added. > -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 17:38:00 -0500 (CDT) From: "Christopher M. Stangl" Subject: Re: TMBG: People Most Beautiful Poll.. Message-ID: On Fri, 1 May 1998, EmmyMik wrote: > I will celebrate by playing my TMBG cds with my little sister, whom I have > made a fan into! That was the most grammatically painful construction all day I have seen a sentence of! -Chris Stangl ------------------------------ From: BenMoobil Message-ID: Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 18:42:48 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: People Most Beautiful Poll.. In a message dated 5/1/98 5:39:04 PM Central Daylight Time, cstangl@blue.weeg.uiowa.edu writes: << > I will celebrate by playing my TMBG cds with my little sister, whom I have > made a fan into! >> wow making your little sister into a fan , that must have taken a lot of work. may i ask is she a ceiling fan? an oscellating fan? a box fan? just wondering The Ben ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199805012311.TAA22183@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 18:12:21 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Non-TMBG: what's up with People today...? >i think this whole contest is totally rigged, by the way. >it is not uncommon for bastions of "popular culture" like >People magazine to issue VIP votes, so that persons with >large amounts of fame/money/political influence/whatever >get ridiculous amounts of weight in the poll. this way, >the people that the media wants us to see as beautiful >will stay in the limelight... While your veracity is unquestionable and beyond doubt, I feel compelled to question it and perhaps express a little doubt. How do you know whether such a thing is uncommon, common, or otherwise? I agree, it is unlikely that they will base their results entirely on an Internet poll over which they have little to no control, but I'm curious where you get your supporting evidence. Harf, Mitch "You have not lost interest in muffins, you just had 1 muffin you didn't enjoy." Support the Harf Project: All your questions answered, all your problems solved: ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199805012312.TAA22302@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 18:14:06 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Non-TMBG: People Most Beautiful Poll.. At 05:13 PM 5/1/98 -0400, you wrote: >I will celebrate by playing my TMBG cds with my little sister, whom I have >made a fan into! Which fan did you turn into your sister? Not anyone I know, I hope -- nothing against your little sister, of course, but I don't want any of my friends transformed into your sister. Harf, Mitch "You have not lost interest in muffins, you just had 1 muffin you didn't enjoy." Support the Harf Project: All your questions answered, all your problems solved: ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: <56a5b989.354a5780@aol.com> Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 19:15:11 EDT Subject: Re: Re: Non-TMBG: Poll standings In a message dated 5/1/98 10:22:08 AM, you wrote: >No... he's ar #11 with 3165 votes. Well, even if they do take out the >duplicate browser votes, I just hope that John beats out Hanson... >proving that TMBG fans are was cooler than all of those teeny-boppers >out there. :) Besides, wouldn't it be sad for John to lose to little >boys that look like girls? I think so. :P LMAO, well the *good* thing is that about half of Hanson's fan base is mostly illiterate little kids, so we don't have to worry that badly. ;) sarah linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 19:20:17 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell's off In a message dated 5/1/98 1:13:54 PM, mjames@envy.loyola.edu wrote: > or they just got so >fed up with the same people voting for him that they took him off the >list. I'm biased towards the former since a number of the celebs have >dramatically dropped in number. You know that wouldn't surprise me. :P It figures, you have to be *well-known* to have fans. :P Well we did show them in the least bit by having him up there and keeping him there for a few days. :} It would actually surprise me if he got mentioned at ALL.. You know they probably plan it ahead of time, based on 'hit' movies, shows, and singers (mariah carey bleeeeeeh!).. :P :P :P Flans in '99! sarah linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 17:23:42 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: what's up with People today...? Message-ID: On Fri, 1 May 1998, Mitchell Harding wrote: > I agree, it is unlikely that they will base their results entirely on an > Internet poll over which they have little to no control... agreed, but i still think it'll be verrrrrrrrrrry interesting what they do with the whole hank thing... :) --jim kuemmerle, the easy-going, sober relatively normal-lookin' guy... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 19:27:56 EDT Subject: Re: Re: TMBG: Linnell's off In a message dated 5/1/98 2:16:41 PM, Kaylum@aol.com wrote: >Something's *definitely* wrong. Even if Linnell has less than 244 unique >votes (which I find hard to believe), there's no way that all of the people >still on the list do have as many unique votes as it says they do. That is true, unless the same discussion is going on on about 13 other mailing lists and newsgroups. ;) Or some guy keeps voting just to see his fake votes up there for a day... "DPK"?? who the hell is this? And that one about the Flasher guy?? LOL.. You know I had a *dream* about this.. that's when you know it's *bad*.. ;) in my dream, all these different weird names and titles kept appearing on the list overthrowing Linnell.. From complete gibberish, to unfinished sentences, to stuff like "John Henson, is he" ?? LOL.. I suppose I'm thinking about it more than I should...? sarah linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: <7c467996.354a5f59@aol.com> Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 19:48:40 EDT Subject: Re: Re: Re: TMBG: Linnell's off In a message dated 5/1/98 6:35:22 PM, you wrote: > >:) we all are -- but he's **NUMBER NINE!!** > >--jim kuemmerle, who won't rest until he's... number... threeeeeeeeee.... But we will all have to stick together when he's number 8, we'll stick together 'cause he's *great*!:) sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <354A9271.D207E4E4@geocities.com> Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 20:26:44 -0700 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell's off KdsInThHal wrote: > It would actually surprise me if he got mentioned at ALL.. You know they > probably plan it ahead of time, based on 'hit' movies, shows, and singers > (mariah carey bleeeeeeh!).. :P :P :P-- In that case, why have a poll at all? Just to make people THINK they have power, in order to cover the actual basis of these polls, as well as the government, which is a group of mutant chickens from the planet Cluckazorb-Oh, wait. I've said too much. -- Nathan Mulac DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org or vovat@geocities.com http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "All I know could be defaced by the facts in the life of Chess Piece Face." ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 18:38:30 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: NON-TMBG: Linnell's off Message-ID: On Fri, 1 May 1998, Nathan Mulac DeHoff clucked: > In that case, why have a poll at all? Just to make people THINK they > have power, in order to cover the actual basis of these polls, as well > as the government, which is a group of mutant chickens from the planet > Cluckazorb-Oh, wait. I've said too much. nathan -- you are in danger of exposing our mission!! DPK would be most unhappy if he were to hear of this! fortunately, i will not report you. carry on. bok, --jim kuemmerle, ensign first class, Cluckazorb-Oh army... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980501194508.006918e0@pop.indy.net> Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 19:45:08 -0400 From: rachel Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: what's up with People today...? >On Fri, 1 May 1998, Mitchell Harding wrote: > >> I agree, it is unlikely that they will base their results entirely on an >> Internet poll over which they have little to no control... jim kuemmerle wrote: >agreed, but i still think it'll be verrrrrrrrrrry interesting what they do >with the whole hank thing... :) > hmmmm, don't get me wrong, you guys have every right to be skeptical about linnell getting in. but i'm sure he has/ had a good chance seeing as how pretty much every time tmbg put a new album out they get a review and a picture in people. then again, linnell may not be viewed as traditionaly beautiful in the eyes of the editors, such as the likes of leonardo dicaprio (who i personally think looks like a female kate moss). what ever happened to inner beauty and talent? that should account for something in this silly poll. why does everyone always interpret "beauty" in superficial terms? (the list, however, has risen above this generalization, bravo! ;) i'm just really pissed that (as much as i would love to see either of the johns' names in any major publication) this kind of judgement still goes on today. "50 most beautiful people" my ass. lovies, rachel ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 18:52:04 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: rock on, inner beauty and talent! 49 essential vitamins! Message-ID: On Fri, 1 May 1998, rachel wrote: > what ever happened to inner beauty and talent? that should account for > something in this silly poll. why does everyone always interpret > "beauty" in superficial terms? (the list, however, has risen above this > generalization, bravo! ;) i'm just really pissed that (as much as i > would love to see either of the johns' names in any major publication) > this kind of judgement still goes on today. "50 most beautiful people" > my ass. amen! this is why i'm so curious how they'll handle hank... it forces them to acknowledge how silly the entire thing is... --jim kuemmerle, who... uh... ISN'T from the planet cluckazorb-oh... yeah, that's it... (did i post that to the list?) j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 18:05:24 -0700 (PDT) From: John Henton Subject: Re: TMBG: rock on, inner beauty and talent! 49 essential vitamins! Message-ID: On Fri, 1 May 1998, J Kuemmerle wrote: > this is why i'm so curious how they'll handle hank... it forces them to > acknowledge how silly the entire thing is... Was this message always on their site? The Online Beauty Poll has no influence on the editorial decisions PEOPLE Magazine makes in selecting its Fifty Most Beautiful. what a loop hole. ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: <443d7736.354a7380@aol.com> Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 21:14:39 EDT Subject: TMBG: Latest Results! as of 9:15 pm fri., EST: ...he's not back on it [joe], still on it. Here are the latest results: 1.Hank the Angry, Drunken Dwarf, 201959 votes 2.Leonardo DiCaprio, 10296 votes 3.Linda Comer, 9889 votes 4.Gillian Anderson, 6100 votes 5.Faye Wong, 5128 6.Kate Winslet, 4975 7.Michelle Kwan, 4848 8.Madonna, 4833 9.John Linnell, 3224 10.Sarah Michelle Gellar, 3063 11.Hanson, 3000 12.Hudson Leick, 2327 13.Mariah Carey, 2230 14.Janet Jackson, 1804 15.Lucy Lawless, 1689 16.Matt Damon, 1014 17.Renee O'Connor, 616 18.Eric Cartman, 582 19.Brad Pitt, 443 20.Bill Muse, 442 sarah ~ http://lava.home.ml.org ~ linnellgirl@tmbg.org now playing: liz phair- "whipsmart" ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 19:18:39 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: rock on, inner beauty and talent! for that not-so-fresh , feeling! Message-ID: On Fri, 1 May 1998, John Henton wrote: > Was this message always on their site? > > The Online Beauty Poll has no influence on the editorial decisions PEOPLE > Magazine makes in selecting its Fifty Most Beautiful. > > what a loop hole. this is the first i've seen of it, but they've still got to do the photo stuff for the eighth! :) actually, they've announced their magazine fifty. leonardo dicaprio's there, but kate winslet, (oddly enough) is not. gloria stuart is. hanson is not, but erykah badu is. (there is *some* justice in this world!) matt damon yes, ben affleck (sp?) no. stevie nicks, olivia newton-john, and tom selleck are. (oh my god, it's 1983 again! aaaaaaaaaah!) mac "rasputin" fleetwood is not. helen hunt's there, but neither paul reiser nor hank azaria nor jack nicholson made the cut. george clooney's not, but julianna margulies is. chris carter, but neither david duchovny nor gillian anderson... and the list goes on and on... sadly, (but not surprisingly,) no hank, no linnell, no flansie... --jim kuemmerle, inspector over the mime... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu ------------------------------ From: Kaylum Message-ID: <205ed371.354a805d@aol.com> Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 22:09:31 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: rock on, inner beauty and talent! 49 essential vitamins! In a message dated 98-05-01 21:06:01 EDT, you write: << > this is why i'm so curious how they'll handle hank... it forces them to > acknowledge how silly the entire thing is... Was this message always on their site? The Online Beauty Poll has no influence on the editorial decisions PEOPLE Magazine makes in selecting its Fifty Most Beautiful. what a loop hole. >> In a word--duh ! I'd hope that no one on this list actually thought the winner ofwould make it onto the cover. The point is to make a statement and to get his pic in the online gallery they said they'd do for the winners of the online poll. Let's hold them to that, the bastards! Kay ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000901bd758a$30aca780$04c4f6ce@idiotnot.visi.net> From: "S. Bergeron" Subject: TMBG: Review of and comment upon VA Beach show Date: Sat, 2 May 1998 01:21:39 -0400 Went to the show at Club Rogue's on Wed. night. Very good, lots of interaction with the crowd. Too bad Lincoln opened for them yet again. Notables: Hal Cragin kicks ass on the bass; it's close between him and Graham. Flansburg's cover of "To All The Girls I've Loved Before". I never thought I would see TMBG do Willie Nelson, but miracles never cease. Linnell's "I Saw The Sign" by Ace of Base during Particle Man. Kind of ties into the 2040 world tour, huh? Conga Line failed miserably...not enough room. Flansburgh's mic stand was "fucked up", so he was doing the Steven Tyler thing with it all night. Nothing off the Big Blue Dog album...I was kind of disappointed in that regard. DOCTOR WORM!!!! I was still unimpressed with "Pet Name." Most of their songs grow on me after awhile, but this one is not. Ana Ng a capella was a bit weird. The "Planet of the Apes" thing was interesting. "The Guitar" really needs the horn section, moreso than probably any of their other songs. I normally like that one, but it didn't do anything for me this time. Overall a good concert, probably better than the Norfuck show in September. I'd never been to Club Rogue's before; I'm going back when I'm not driving so that I can get totally smashed. I managed to get one of the waitress's phone numbers. I'm getting smoother. ;-) Jack Bergeron idiotnot@visi.net bluedawg@tmbg.org http://www.monopuff.org/~bluedawg "As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way."--Jack Handy ICQ#5909618 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199805020552.BAA02196@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Sat, 02 May 1998 00:53:03 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Non-TMBG: rock on, inner beauty and talent! 49 essential >winner ofwould make it onto the cover. The point is to make a statement and >to get his pic in the online gallery they said they'd do for the winners of >the online poll. Let's hold them to that, the bastards! Yeah. Or else we'll sue 'em for all their worth! That, or just grumble idly on the list for a while, make a few comments about how Mike Leffel never would have stood for this, and then forget about it. Harf, Mitch "The dumber people think you are, the more surprised they're going to be when you kill them." Support the Harf Project: All your questions answered, all your problems solved: ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #6-2 ****************************