Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #6-20 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 6, Number 20 Wednesday, 20 May 1998 Today's Topics: Semi-TMBG: Moxy Fruvous new album TMBG: Secret Track on It's Fun To Steal, + Monopuff & Stuff TMBG: Listie Pics TMBG: Record Stores Re: Semi-TMBG: Moxy Fruvous new album TMBG: everybody's dancing on the casket TMBG: everybody's dancing on the casket Re: TMBG: Secret Track on It's Fun To Steal, + Monopuff & Stuff TMBG: Mono Puff & Graham Re: TMBG: Mono Puff & Graham Re: TMBG: Secret Track on It's Fun To Steal, + Monopuff & Stuff TMBG: License plates Re: TMBG: Mono Puff & Graham TMBG: Re: Mono Puff: New Album? TMBG: My endless wait for Monopuff TMBG: The search continues... TMBG: Monopuff LP TMBG: Water spirals the wrong way down the sink? TMBG: Unsupervised vs. It's Fun to Steal? Re: TMBG: Unsupervised vs. It's Fun to Steal? Re: TMBG: Unsupervised vs. It's Fun to Steal? TMBG: Graham on Rosie! TMBG: Quotes Re: TMBG: Unsupervised vs. It's Fun to Steal? Re:1/2 TMBG: The search continues... Re:1/2 TMBG: The search continues... TMBG: U vs. IFTS Re: TMBG: U vs. IFTS Re: TMBG: It's Fun to Steal... my excellent day :) Re: TMBG: It's Fun to Steal... my excellent day :) TMBG: Plea for Spondee Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 09:14:22 -0500 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Semi-TMBG: Moxy Fruvous new album Message-id: <356193BE.1D7ED28B@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> Greetings all you listies, The new Moxy Fruvous album Live Noise comes out today. It is distributed by BMG, so it should be all over the place. It is also available for a listen at http://www.liveconcerts.com. Under Listening Parties there is Moxy Fruvous and the whole disc is there in Real Audio. Also, at the end of a tune, Jian starts singing The Statue Got Me High. It gets faded out on, but hey, it's something *grin*. - Chad "The hole left by Leffel can never be filled. Who knows where he put all that dirt or where he got a shovel THAT BIG" Maloney ------------------------------ From: NitpickR Message-ID: <683b7bec.3561acbf@aol.com> Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 12:01:02 EDT Subject: TMBG: Secret Track on It's Fun To Steal, + Monopuff & Stuff Hello 41- I refused to read the Monopuff stuff before I got it, but I got it now that it's available here. Very pleased. I enjoy the album more than the first. First of all, I know I'm on the digest and not the list so if this has been posted a million times allready, don't shoot me, but there is a secret track on the album. Find it similarly to how you found the one on Factory Showroom. As far as I know, there were no "leaks" I'm just so ultra-cool that I found it by myself. The album is very good. It could almost be filed under lounge/exotica, but it's still Flans rock. This is the first time I've heard Double Dong be used for good and not evil. 8^) Dedicated is very cool, and Dashiki lover is even *more* catchy than it is live. The album art is pretty cool too. Flans seems fond of the bright yellow-green color. I must say I like it too. Wear bright colors or avoid display. In the liner notes, DJ ***** is typoed to become DJ+++++. I suppose he could be DJ*+*+*+*+*+... I haven't bought a CD from a real-life CD store in awhile, and I was disapointed to find that it cost like $18 and change from Tower, which I used to like. Crazy. I'll stick online from now on. Very cool. Very hip. Adam ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 11:26:48 -0500 (CDT) Message-Id: <199805191626.LAA24715@stan.lcc.net> From: The Denominator Subject: TMBG: Listie Pics Ok Ok Ok, No one knows me, the once glorified and powerful Denominator, now but a lowly and humble lurker in the world of the tmg list... but juat for the cause, I have put up a pictures page so that ... well, i don't really feel the need to justify myself, so I'll leave it at that. Anyway, the page is at: http://centum.utulsa.edu/~maxwellkd/www/denomn8r.html you can also check out my bootlegs while you're there, its been updated since *wince* last year. http://centum.utulsa.edu/~maxwellkd/www/boot.html T. D. "don't spend the rest of your life wondering...." ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot Message-ID: Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 13:18:47 EDT Subject: TMBG: Record Stores Ok, here's my thoughts on trying to find singles. You don't neccessarily need to go searching online (I am not confortable with buying stuff from online, so I don't). Occassionally, you can go into record stores & find odd TMBG recordings. I found the DLS single & bought it right up (that was a few years ago, so I doubt too many stores will have it anymore). Oh, btw, I bought Misc. T after that, so I didn't have the tracks yet! I find that TMBG seems to have a bit of surge (in the greater Boston area, at least) when They come out with a new album or They have one of their free shows! Back in 1996 one store even set up a TMBG display (which is odd cosidering the pop trendy nature Strawberries has). I found Back To Skull, & Istanbul after the 1997 Hatch Shell show in Newbury Comics... I bet the IPI & Guitar singles are tougher to find, but maybe you'll (or maybe I'll) get lucky one day & find them!!! jason "Is it Jim....uh...no..." glastetter ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980519132025.006a0e4c@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 13:20:25 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: Semi-TMBG: Moxy Fruvous new album I bought it this morning, and it's fantastic! Well worth the money. Apparently, though, the way Bar-None distributes CDs, "It's Fun To Steal" won't be here until later this week. :( -Adam http://www.he-man.org/ctyner http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 10:23:32 -0700 (PDT) Message-Id: From: dumyhead@mill.net (Adam Gimbel) Subject: TMBG: everybody's dancing on the casket Someone might've already forwarded this to the list for me but someone just told me how to send this to the list. Hopefully it won't bounce since I'm not a subscriber. I guess that subject line was a little morbid since I couldn't even go to Summer's funeral (we had a celebration of life that was MUCH more fitting) I'm writing this to tell you a little bit about my girlfriend, Summer Brannin who was a big They Might Be Giants fan. Several weeks ago, she died at the age of 21 of kidney cancer. Her family had no history of cancer and she was perfectly healthy, having worked at health food markets for the past three years around San Diego, California. The doctors said that the cancer did 7 or 8 months worth of "normal" spreading in about 3 to 4 weeks. She died just seven weeks after she was first admitted to the hospital for testing. It's scary to think that Summer was only 12 in 1988 when I first started loving TMBG. She made up for lost time though. By the time we started dating seven years later, she could sing their b-sides better than I ever could. Bits of "Hello Radio" and "Siftin'" were sung at random. I've seen them six times and she was always jealous of that. She only got to see them once, at a radio station's Xmas concert in San Diego in 1993. They only played a few songs, so she didn't really get her fix. We kept hoping that they would come through town but they haven't come through San Diego in awhile. When the Then compilation came out, we didn't get a tour but she had lots of fun new things to sing like "Hey! Hey counterfit fake!" I recently found a dream she'd written about where her and her brother performed an entire TMBG concert (complete with setlist). I'll add it to the website sometime soon. I'm trying to get in contact with the band to see if they might be interested in getting involved in any charitable projects in Summer's honor (albums, concerts, a book of her drawings, etc) If you could, please forward or print up this letter for anyone connected to the band, whether it's a friend, manager, or record label person. If you'd like to learn a little more about Summer, check out the website a friend of ours helped me do at http://www.vintageparts.com/summer. If you have a website, please link to it (there's a cool banner on the site) and feel free to put this letter on there too. There are lots of her supercool drawings, photos of her, and there is a place on the website to leave a note for me (or Summer, of course) which I'd prefer to the 8 million letter I've been getting. Also, if there is a They Might Be Giants mailing list, please forward this letter there and to anyone else you think might be interested. Thanks, Adam \|/ The Artist Who's Pretty Swamped With E-mail - O - Please Only Reply If You Love Me Truly i @---|----> Visit: | "See Summer Swing Dance" http://www.vintageparts.com/summer | "Adam & Summer Are Dumyheads" http://mill.net/dumyhead/ / \ (Jason Falkner, Jellyfish, producer John Leckie & old car parts)/ \ _/ \_ CD for the day Babe The Blue Ox-People Saw em open up for Cibo Matto & they blew me away. Indescribable (Primusy?) audio assault by three very talented musicians. They had to tune after almost every song but they actually made their tunings into little songs (kinda hard to describe but amazing to watch). ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 10:24:34 -0700 (PDT) Message-Id: From: dumyhead@mill.net (Adam Gimbel) Subject: TMBG: everybody's dancing on the casket Someone might've already forwarded this to the list for me but someone just told me how to send this to the list. Hopefully it won't bounce since I'm not a subscriber. I guess that subject line was a little morbid since I couldn't even go to Summer's funeral (we had a celebration of life that was MUCH more fitting) I'm writing this to tell you a little bit about my girlfriend, Summer Brannin who was a big They Might Be Giants fan. Several weeks ago, she died at the age of 21 of kidney cancer. Her family had no history of cancer and she was perfectly healthy, having worked at health food markets for the past three years around San Diego, California. The doctors said that the cancer did 7 or 8 months worth of "normal" spreading in about 3 to 4 weeks. She died just seven weeks after she was first admitted to the hospital for testing. It's scary to think that Summer was only 12 in 1988 when I first started loving TMBG. She made up for lost time though. By the time we started dating seven years later, she could sing their b-sides better than I ever could. Bits of "Hello Radio" and "Siftin'" were sung at random. I've seen them six times and she was always jealous of that. She only got to see them once, at a radio station's Xmas concert in San Diego in 1993. They only played a few songs, so she didn't really get her fix. We kept hoping that they would come through town but they haven't come through San Diego in awhile. When the Then compilation came out, we didn't get a tour but she had lots of fun new things to sing like "Hey! Hey counterfit fake!" I recently found a dream she'd written about where her and her brother performed an entire TMBG concert (complete with setlist). I'll add it to the website sometime soon. I'm trying to get in contact with the band to see if they might be interested in getting involved in any charitable projects in Summer's honor (albums, concerts, a book of her drawings, etc) If you could, please forward or print up this letter for anyone connected to the band, whether it's a friend, manager, or record label person. If you'd like to learn a little more about Summer, check out the website a friend of ours helped me do at http://www.vintageparts.com/summer. If you have a website, please link to it (there's a cool banner on the site) and feel free to put this letter on there too. There are lots of her supercool drawings, photos of her, and there is a place on the website to leave a note for me (or Summer, of course) which I'd prefer to the 8 million letter I've been getting. Also, if there is a They Might Be Giants mailing list, please forward this letter there and to anyone else you think might be interested. Thanks, Adam \|/ The Artist Who's Pretty Swamped With E-mail - O - Please Only Reply If You Love Me Truly i @---|----> Visit: | "See Summer Swing Dance" http://www.vintageparts.com/summer | "Adam & Summer Are Dumyheads" http://mill.net/dumyhead/ / \ (Jason Falkner, Jellyfish, producer John Leckie & old car parts)/ \ _/ \_ CD for the day Babe The Blue Ox-People Saw em open up for Cibo Matto & they blew me away. Indescribable (Primusy?) audio assault by three very talented musicians. They had to tune after almost every song but they actually made their tunings into little songs (kinda hard to describe but amazing to watch). ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3561DDDA.59B9@ix.netcom.com> Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 14:30:34 -0500 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: WECB Subject: Re: TMBG: Secret Track on It's Fun To Steal, + Monopuff & Stuff > > I refused to read the Monopuff stuff before I got it, but I got it now that > it's available here. Very pleased. I enjoy the album more than the first. I would have to agree. It's tons more solid than "Unsupervised." > First of all, I know I'm on the digest and not the list so if this has been > posted a million times allready, don't shoot me, but there is a secret track > on the album. Well, it's not really a "track" as in a song, but the mad noodlings of an insane producer given a Mac with SimpleText. My school has this phone system (called the ECCHO line) that lets you check your grades, etc. from the comfort of your home. It uses that same voice! I half expected it to say, "Hello. Welcome to the ECCHO line. This is for use by current Emerson College students only!" That's fun to listen to at work. :) > This is the first time I've heard Double Dong be used > for good and not evil. 8^) awwww yeah. They added some nice touches to songs without making me want to run away. > The album art is pretty cool too. You'll recognize the picture as the one on the Mono Puff t-shirts. :) > I haven't bought a CD from a real-life CD store in awhile, and I was > disapointed to find that it cost like $18 and change from Tower, which I used > to like. Tower is infamous for ripping the money right out of your hinder. I got mine there 'cuz it does that after-midnight-new-release thing that I love, but normally I buy my CDs from smaller retailers, as it tends to be about $2-3 less. Hee hee... would you say that Flans is gettin' jiggy wit' it? Amanda, who's excited that Firewater's new CD is at #1 on the top 200 CMJ and the Core Radio Charts!!!!! ------------------------------ From: Superman25 Message-ID: <32076a4e.3561d702@aol.com> Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 15:01:20 EDT Subject: TMBG: Mono Puff & Graham hi. did anyone run into this little anomaly while looking for It's Fun To Steal? apparently Tower Records in Cherry Hill, NJ and Philly both got the album last week. It's Fun To Steal, which will be known as "The Bitch To Find Album," is still on order for all the other record stores in the greater South Jersey area. as for Graham's recent appearances on TV, does anyone else think that he had more fun playing with TMBG? Graham seemed almost bored standing in the background last night on Letterman. btw, is he on the new Natalie Merchant album? adam schaaf, who spent the past six hours racking up 146 miles on his car just to be let down every time he walked into a record store. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980519163401.006a205c@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 16:34:01 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Mono Puff & Graham At 03:01 PM 5/19/98 EDT, Superman25 wrote: >hi. > >did anyone run into this little anomaly while looking for It's Fun To >Steal? apparently Tower Records in Cherry Hill, NJ and Philly both >got the album last week. It's Fun To Steal, which will be known as >"The Bitch To Find Album," is still on order for all the other record stores >in the greater South Jersey area. I live in Charleston, South Carolina (aka "the boondocks"), and I called every record store in the phone book. *No one* has it. There aren't any Tower Records here, so even that's not an option. I was able to find the new Moxy Fruvous CD though. Anyway, the spiel I was given is that indie distributors don't get their product out nation-wide instantly like the majors do. I was told it could be in as early as this afternoon (I'm about to call now) and as late as Thursday afternoon. -Adam http://www.he-man.org/ctyner http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: <9188883e.3561ee0f@aol.com> Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 16:39:42 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Secret Track on It's Fun To Steal, + Monopuff & Stuff In a message dated 5/19/98 12:02:36 PM, you wrote: >don't shoot me, but there is a secret track >on the album. Find it similarly to how you found the one on Factory Showroom. >As far as I know, there were no "leaks" I'm just so ultra-cool that I found it >by myself. LMAO! I didn't know about it:) *wow* that is kinda trippy.. the voices.. the voices. gotta love SimpleTalk... hehehe.. what are they saying? "head crack"?? sarah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980519164706.0072b674@pop.erols.com> Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 16:47:06 -0400 From: Christopher Spangler Subject: TMBG: License plates Hmmm... Maryland allows seven digits, so... 4ABOAT 4ARIDE GIANTHD WDTSS (Probably only understood by 'net _and_ Giantheads) THEYFAN L I T E ANANGNI (Somebody already said ANA NG, right? ANANG&I would be a great one to have in a state that has punctuation, like Virginia does...) I do believe I shall select the coolest from those posted and acquire that plate, if it's not already taken. What They plates are out there that we've actually _seen_? --Chris ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: <4a943652.3561f37a@aol.com> Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 17:02:49 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Mono Puff & Graham In a message dated 5/19/98 3:02:34 PM, you wrote: > >did anyone run into this little anomaly while looking for It's Fun To >Steal? apparently Tower Records in Cherry Hill, NJ and Philly both >got the album last week. It's Fun To Steal, which will be known as >"The Bitch To Find Album," is still on order for all the other record stores >in the greater South Jersey area. gosh no! my copy was held for me, and as I waited to pick it up, I was looking at another copy on the rack. >as for Graham's recent appearances on TV, does anyone else think >that he had more fun playing with TMBG? Graham seemed almost >bored standing in the background last night on Letterman. LOL I thought the same thing.. He was just on Rosie with Natalie too.. he looks so out of place! sarah ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 17:13:03 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Re: Mono Puff: New Album? Message-ID: <19980519.171304.4398.0.Mr.Train@juno.com> Hey... I went ALL OVER (i.e. Circuit City, Sound Shop, even the obscenely over priced Wall) and I could NOT find It's Fun To Steal! They didn't even have it listed in their computers! Do I have the wrong release date or something? Has anyone else had luck this bad? Tim, venting voices from the dark Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: Youth Culture Killed My Dog Last CD purchase: NOT IFTS... CPD - Zoot Sit Riot Favorite mainstream song: Riot Nerd - 2 Skinnee Js _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19980519173634.007fc100@email.psu.edu> Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 17:36:34 -0400 From: "J. L. Moquin" Subject: TMBG: My endless wait for Monopuff I'm so annoyed. I ordered Monopuff like weeks ago from CDNow, and also ordered at the same time another CD (Bruce Cockburn, in case you care) that was listed as backordered. I assumed they would be smart enough to put in the backorder for the CD while we were waiting for Monopuff to release, and everything could have shipped out yesterday. Of course not. By checking my order status periodically, I can see clearly that they didn't even try to get the Cockburn disc until yesterday, when they realized "oh, duh, it's not here!" So John only knows when I'll get my music. :P So nobody listen to theirs yet, ok, so I won't be missing anything. :) -jennifer, mommy to alice the bean, 8/15/97 http://www.emprl.psu.edu/~anth/ mailto:jls5@psu.edu "Death is useless. Useless is a spork. Therefore, death is a spork" -- Anthony Moquin ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980519222517.006a7b80@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 17:25:17 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: TMBG: The search continues... I wandered around to all the Musak stores in Mah town. None of them had "it's fun to steal," but one of 'em finally had a copy of Unsupervised, if they don't have IFTS by friday, I know what I'm getting. Thought I'd Add. LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19980519231506.007bb910@mail-in.keme.net> Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 23:15:06 +0100 From: Squidgy Colin Subject: TMBG: Monopuff LP Well, well, well... It seems being British has finally paid off! I put in an order with a local indie store and they said I can have the CD at regualr price on import around 4 days post release at the earliest. I am just SOOOOO happy that I will get it. I find it hard to understand why a lot of you over the big blue ocean are having a hard time finding the said CD. Does that happen alot in the US??? --Cols who is still procaiming he is England, PS: What was the track listing for the new Monopuff LP again + Tell me more about getting the secret track. PSS: SullenMoon... I LOVE YOU MORE THAN SUN-TANS, COFFIE AND BREAD-STICKS (which is quite a bit). ~THE ELLESLEYS~ (of Colchester-Essex-UK) Home Page: Http://www.keme.co.uk/~thelimes/ TMBG page: Http://members.xoom.com/uncle_squid/Xoom/ <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> Loves means never having to say you're a mono-optic muciod mega-mutant <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980519185519.006a10ec@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 18:55:19 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Water spirals the wrong way down the sink? Water spirals the wrong way down the sink? Nope, according to the authority on stuff like this, Cecil Adams (http://www.straightdope.com): ...The erroneous bit of folk wisdom you refer to says that water always drains in a clockwise direction in the Southern Hemisphere, and in a counter-clockwise direction in the Northern Hemisphere. The supposed reason for this "fact" is the Coriolis effect, which has to do with the effect of the earth's rotation on moving objects. Now there is such a thing as the Coriolis effect; it explains why macroeventa such as hurricanes rotate in a clockwise direction in the Southern Hemisphere and counterclockwise in the Northern Hemisphere. However, when you get down to itty-bitty phenomena such as the water draining out of your bathtub, the Coriolis effect is insignificant, amounting to roughly three ten-millionths of the force of gravity (in Boston, at least, which is where they happened to do the measuring). The boring truth is that water drains every which way no matter what hemisphere you're in, for reasons which have to do mostly with the shape of the drain, the way you poured the water in the first place, and so on. [technical and experimental data snipped] Sorry if this has been posted before, but I found it remotely interesting. -Adam http://www.he-man.org/ctyner http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: Jaluit 31 Message-ID: Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 19:07:36 EDT Subject: TMBG: Unsupervised vs. It's Fun to Steal? I've been seeing all these emails on the list of late about how you're all off to buy "It's Fun to Steal" and I was simply wondering this: how would you say that it compares to Mono Puff's first album "Unsupervised"? I'm not sure what anyone else thought of Unsupervised, as that I was not subscribed at that time, but personally I thought it was had about two good songs on it. Despite TMBG being my favorite band I find myself pushing the SKIP button when some of Flans' songs come on. And guitar solos piss me off. However, sometimes Flans can be really cool with songs like "Youth Culture Killed My Dog", "Meet James Ensore" and even "Unsupervised" (the song). So I don't know. I'm really not certain what to do about this It's Fun to Steal. Is the album worth the 12 bucks or is it TMBG leftovers? Which Flans showed up? c a s e y -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- -=-=-=-=-=-=-Jaluit31@aol.com=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Casey Grunnet-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=The Flying Pollock -=-=-=-=-=-Penn State University-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- "I find myself haunted by a spooky man named me; I wish I could just jump out of my skin." ----They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 19 May 98 19:18 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Unsupervised vs. It's Fun to Steal? >I'm not sure what anyone else thought of Unsupervised, as that I was not >subscribed at that time, but personally I thought it was had about two good >songs on it. When I first bought Unsupervised, I was a little disappointed with it, but after a while the disparate styles sort of grew on me. And I really think it was the many changes in style that turned me off at first - it didn't sound like an album, more like a compilation. But "Unsupervised" rules, "The Devil Went Down to Newport" kicks, I love "Dr. Kildare," and my friend Patrick sang "So Long, Mockingbird" as part of a forensics piece. So the whole thing's sort of assimilated me gradually. :) >I'm really not certain what to do about this It's Fun to Steal. Is the album >worth the 12 bucks or is it TMBG leftovers? Which Flans showed up? From what I've heard of the songs, it's definitely not TMBG leftovers; Mono Puff/Flans seems to have found a style that works for him, and it's cool. Of course, I've only heard "Mr. Hughes Says" and a couple others, but I love the funkadellic-ness of what I've heard, and I can't wait to buy the album. Praise the lord for graduation money! ;) Kirsten -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "You think you're so funny, but looks aren't everything." - Lincoln "Wish You Were Dead" Kirsten Brodbeck kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu AKA Crow ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 19:41:06 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Unsupervised vs. It's Fun to Steal? Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 19-May-98 TMBG: Unsupervised vs. It's.. by Jaluit 31@aol.com > that it compares to Mono Puff's first album "Unsupervised"? different. that's about all I can say... I'm listening to it now (finally found it after looking in Sam Goody, The Wall, Kemp Mill, and even Tape World - none of them had it, so I was surprised when Best Buy did...) it's not as guitary as Unsupervised. And there are a lot more 'musicians' (I put that in quotes because I don't consider DJ***** and Double Dong musicians) there's more stuff going on... the songs aren't as simple. today is the first time I realized that the song that was, in the summer of 1996 known as "Felt Tip Pen" is now called "Imaginary Friend." Some new information is revealed in this album - John Flansburgh does, in fact, play the piano, and probably played it in Tryptophane, too. Both Double Dong and Eric Schermerhorn make appearances on this album... I'm not quite sure which of the two I hate more... I guess Eric isn't so bad with a group like Mono Puff... his style fits in better with theirs than with TMBG. also, those who have already purchased It's Fun to Steal, note that DJ ***** is improperly credited on Taste the Bass as DJ +++++ for some reason I found that amusing... :) Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Everything sticks until it goes away, * This space inadvertently And the truth is we don't know anything." -TMBG * left blank. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 17:23:37 -0700 Subject: TMBG: Graham on Rosie! Message-ID: <19980519.172442.3990.0.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Josh Nielsen) Hey! I just saw Graham (and Natalie Merchant) on the Rosie O'Donnell show! That makes him on SNL, Letterman, and Rosie this month! I wish They could get that kind of publicity. Josh Nielsen jnielsen69@juno.com http://www.angelfire.com/or/jnielsen/ http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Studio/4091 ICQ #1337243 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 22:16:51 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Quotes Message-ID: <19980519.221710.3294.0.gray42@juno.com> There I was, sitting in my bedroom, with a yearbook from 1995, at a school I'd never been to, looking at the senior pages of people I did not know, scanning through pics and quotes, hoping to get lucky. The Pine View (Sarasota Florida) yearbook gave a page to each Senior to fill as they wish. This particular page had to columns of quotes, as I read the first one, and thinking, "gee, I'm seeing quotes by music groups like Pixies, Cranberries, and U2. Well wouldn't it be nice if there were some TMBG quotes, hmmm" So I started the 2nd column and to my pleasent suprise, there they were, right on cue, 5 in all: "I don't want the world, just your half."-TMBG "I should be aloud to blurt the mearest idea if, by random whim, one occurs to me."-TMBG "Now it's over, I'm dead & I haven't done anything that I want, or I'm still alive and there's nothing to do."-TMBG "Every jumpled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of."-TMBG. The Seniors name was Katherine Josephine Gill, and I was wondering if anyone else has ever had a similar happy experience, or if any of you is The miss Kat Gill or if anyone knows her. Hmmmm, I wonder if she has a webpage, hmmm. How exciting it is when someone you don't know publicly expresses their love of the Giants :D Mysterio Gal (fellow Subgenius & Happy Mutant) " If there were no doorknobs nobody would be abel to open the doors. Everybody would die" --Claire (age 6) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: <2c09bb2c.356241af@aol.com> Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 22:36:30 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Unsupervised vs. It's Fun to Steal? In a message dated 5/19/98 7:08:38 PM, Jaluit31@aol.com wrote: >I'm really not certain what to do about this It's Fun to Steal. Is the album >worth the 12 bucks or is it TMBG leftovers? Which Flans showed up? Well.. *I* say it's worth it, but I loved the Unsupervised disc too.. it's really nothing at all like U (screw the fact that's all I can shorten it to, I'm calling it "U".); it's more funky.. *definitely* more funky. think... happy 70's porno music. :) I was going to mention before ;) -- "Tell the boxer, tell the fist, tell the logo, tell the ..." *list*! It should be *list*! I want it to be list! not "lid"! Flans! list! Tell the LIST! :D (sorry. it had to be said here, eh?) it's a very fine cd. I think my favourite tracks as of now are extra krispy, dashiki lover, and mr. hughes says. sarah ~ http://lava.home.ml.org ~ linnellgirl@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 22:33:44 -0400 Subject: Re:1/2 TMBG: The search continues... Message-ID: <19980519.223944.3294.1.gray42@juno.com> Well I've had half luck, nobody around here has it, but a guy at CDWarehouse told me I'd be able to order it this comming weekend, so I'll probably get it the weekend after, plenty of time to save my pennies :) OAUN- Today my order of the Hitchhiker's graphic novel, published by DC came in, I should be able to go up and get it friday or Saturday yay! Did any of he other Hitchhiking fans know there's a commic book, or am I the only one? Mysterio Gal (who would ALSO join a Hitchhiker's mailing list if there was one) " If there were no doorknobs nobody would be abel to open the doors. Everybody would die" --Claire (age 6) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980519225646.006a1514@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 22:56:46 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re:1/2 TMBG: The search continues... At 10:33 PM 5/19/98 -0400, gray42@juno.com wrote: > >OAUN- Today my order of the Hitchhiker's graphic novel, published by DC >came in, I should be able to go up and get it friday or Saturday yay! >Did any of he other Hitchhiking fans know there's a commic book, or am I >the only one? I have the 3 issues of "Restaurant At The End Of The Universe"...personally, I prefer the books. -Adam http://www.he-man.org/ctyner http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9805200318.AA02030@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: U vs. IFTS Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 23:18:57 -0400 (EDT) Hello, Well, after some searching I was able to find It's Fun to Steal. I popped into a Record & Tape Traders and was a little dismayed to see Monopuff's release date as May 26, but I knew this not to be true, I just figured it was due to indie label distribution problems. I picked up Moxy Fruvous's new Live Album there, though, which is excellent so far. Someone mentioned something about Jian singing _They'll Need a Crane_ at the end of some song, am I just hallucinating about this? Anyway, I was able to find It's Fun to Steal and am loving it very much! Poison Flowers is as awesome as the few times I've seen them in concert. So are the other songs, but I especially love that one. On the back it says: the mono puff syndicate of sound Hal Cragin Steve Calhoon Joe McGinty DJ***** Spicy Phil Hernandez Sister Puff Robin Goldwasser John Flansburgh the mono puff all-stars Mauro Refosco Frank London Dan Levine Lady Puff Kate Flannery Plen-T Pak Ghost Krabb Heaven Jay Sherman-Godfrey Mark Feldman Rob Cournoyer Eric Schermerhorn Barry Carl Our favorite, Eric Schermerhorn played on Imaginary Friend and Backstabbing Liar, how wonderful. And people of note in the special thanks section are John Linnell, Mike Viola, Dan Hickey, Brian Doherty, the women of Cub, Mike "Killer Kahn", Brian Dewan, Joshua Fried, Vin Scelsa, Sean Altman, and all the Hello CD of the Month members. This album seems kinda 70s and discoey in parts and is not quite the Devil Went Down to Newport (Totally Rocking). Exciting and cool stuff! -Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 23:46:41 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: U vs. IFTS In a message dated 5/19/98 11:32:23 PM, mjames@envy.loyola.edu wrote: >Our favorite, Eric Schermerhorn played on Imaginary Friend and >Backstabbing Liar, how wonderful. Thankfully, his solo is *not* bad on that track. *sigh*. it's actually listenable. >I picked >up Moxy Fruvous's new Live Album there, though, which is excellent so >far. Someone mentioned something about Jian singing _They'll Need a >Crane_ at the end of some song, am I just hallucinating about this? nonono.. :) at the end of "BJ Don't Cry", right after he says "hello new york" or something, (turn it up loud,) he says "the statue made me hiiiiigh" and the crowd screams:D he sang a bit of TNAC at the show I was at in november.;) sarah http://lava.home.ml.org i can disappear in a store 24 ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 21:53:20 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: It's Fun to Steal... my excellent day :) Message-ID: <19980519.215414.14030.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) >Well I've had half luck, nobody around here has it, heh... i walked into tower records this morning... they had to specifically open the packages that both the mono puff and moxy fruvous albums came in for me! :) >it's a very fine cd. I think my favourite tracks as of now are extra >krispy, that song trips me out... every time i hear "on y va" which was the title of my french text book in like 8th grade (yipes!) That whole french part just frightens me... bad memories i spose... and why does "i'm gonna rock you just one more time, don't make me rock you again" sound sooo damn familiar? >dashiki lover, and mr. hughes says i'd have to agree with you... cept that i've dug hillbilly drummer girl since the hello cd days for some reason... and pretty fly ever since someone dubbed their 7" devil ep (that was released on slow river records) for me... i reeeally like sister puff's voice... which is crazy because i can only think of two other female vocalists that i actually like... anyways... does anyone know what's up with her band, spondee? ANyways, so i take the mono puff cd to my swim practice tongiht and i throw the cd in... since i've been given the title of "dj" at practice... anyways, within just a few minutes my coach comes up to me groovin to the music asking me where i bought the cd... throughout the practice 8 of my friends told me they were gonna go out and buy the albumn and about 7 of my other buds were saying that if they had the extra cash they'd be buying it tomorrow as well :) but my fun didn't stop there... we had the choice of either listening to the album again or to turn on the radio (since i just happened to not bring any other cd's) and as much as i would have dug listening to the cd again i figured i'd had enough... i turn on the radio and within 30 seconds birdhouse in your soul came on :) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::MAY 30th: Run DMC (AW YEEEAH!!!), Crystal Method, Ben Harper, Aquabats, Specials, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Eve 6, Foo Fighters, UltraHorse, and 15 others::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: <3b23c0e2.356257ad@aol.com> Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 00:10:19 EDT Subject: Re: Re: TMBG: It's Fun to Steal... my excellent day :) In a message dated 5/19/98 11:56:35 PM, you wrote: >and why does "i'm gonna rock you just one more time, don't make me rock >you again" sound sooo damn familiar? "don't make me kill you again"?:) sarah ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: <8c8c4068.35627033@aol.com> Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 01:54:58 EDT Subject: TMBG: Plea for Spondee :) i'm sorry. but i need to ask, Anyone have any Spondee stuff they'd be willing to copy for me? :) I'm dying to hear it, even more so after listning to the new MP cd a lot:) i have extra krispy on repeat. sarah ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #6-20 *****************************