Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #6-22 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 6, Number 22 Friday, 22 May 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: Vote in JJJs hottest 100 of all time Re: TMBG: IFTS cd booklet Re: TMBG: IFTS cd booklet Re: TMBG: IFTS cd booklet TMBG: question TMBG: question Re: TMBG: IFTS cd booklet TMBG: question TMBG: dr. spock's TMBG: IFTS interps TMBG: request@wfnx.com PS TMBG: request@wfnx.com Re: TMBG: dr. spock's TMBG: Graham and IFTS Re: TMBG: Graham and IFTS TMBG: Oh just stuff Re: TMBG: Oh just stuff Re: TMBG: IFTS cd booklet Re: TMBG: IFTS/ borders plug TMBG: Vote? Re: TMBG: IFTS/ borders plug Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <199805210758.RAA05622@sydney.healey.com.au> Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 17:58:18 +1000 From: Easy Friend Subject: TMBG: Vote in JJJs hottest 100 of all time Hi funky people, Australia's JJJ is conducting a Hottest 100 of all time and the voting for it closes soon. So if you just so happen to want to vote for TMBG, you should go to: http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/triplej.htm It's a cool website anyway, but you should all vote for TMBG anyway and help them acheive rock-god status with a few more thousand people. BYE!!! Ad. &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& & See the 17th best band in the world & & http://www.healey.com.au/~ad/ironside/ & &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980521062917.00694618@pop.indy.net> Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 06:29:17 -0400 From: rachel Subject: Re: TMBG: IFTS cd booklet jordan wrote: >Hey Hey! >as you open the cd booklet on it's fun to steal there's a picture in the >top left hand corner of like a piece of paper with a list of stuff on >it... what i can make out on it: >Lunchbox >Gas Mask >sumthin sumthin Coffee > >anyone else have any ideas on what it says? > it looks like (to me) "what about coffee" with a couple questionmarks after...is it suppost to make sense? meow, rachel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980521121423.006b841c@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 07:14:23 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: IFTS cd booklet At 06:29 AM 5/21/98 -0400, rachel wrote: >jordan wrote: >>Hey Hey! >>as you open the cd booklet on it's fun to steal there's a picture in the >>top left hand corner of like a piece of paper with a list of stuff on >>it... what i can make out on it: >>Lunchbox >>Gas Mask >>sumthin sumthin Coffee >> >>anyone else have any ideas on what it says? >> >it looks like (to me) "what about coffee" with a couple questionmarks >after...is it suppost to make sense? Well Lunchbox is a *real* band, they keep e-mailing me to put a banner on my site about them. Gas Mask might be a real band, if they are I'll go find a way to get some of their music. :P _____ ______ Coffee, if I had the CD I could try and figure that one out. but nope, no idea. LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 06:43:06 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: IFTS cd booklet Message-ID: <19980521.064307.11118.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) >Gas Mask might be a real band, if they are I'll go find a way to get >some of >their music. :P yeah, gas mask is a band... someone has got an mp3 (jish? tdk?) of flans imitating them... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 11:25:21 +0100 From: beknowles@vassar.edu (Ben Knowles) Subject: TMBG: question Message-id: <01IXAKRMQMCY00WEQA@VASSAR.EDU> is there anyone on this list that _doesn't_ like moxy fruvous? jesus, you'd think this was the wrong list! moxy fruvous = bad, ben ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9805211519.AA02917@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: question Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 11:19:17 -0400 (EDT) > is there anyone on this list that _doesn't_ like moxy fruvous? jesus, you'd > think this was the wrong list! > > moxy fruvous = bad, > ben > Well, I don't think they're inherently evil, but I suppose everyone has a right to express their opinions. Do you think they're bad because you've heard some of their music and formed your opinion, or do you think they're bad simply because a lot of people here (and elsewhere) like them and don't want to like a popular band? (not that they're *all* that popular). Just wondering, Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980521153513.006b1128@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 10:35:13 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: IFTS cd booklet At 06:43 AM 5/21/98 -0600, Joda: Master of Yedi wrote: >>Gas Mask might be a real band, if they are I'll go find a way to get >>some of >>their music. :P > >yeah, gas mask is a band... >someone has got an mp3 (jish? tdk?) of flans imitating them... > Yeah I aware of that. But I wasn't sure if JCF made it up or if it was real. And it's on Jish's page... LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ From: "Drunken Bird" Organization: Columbus State Univ.,Columbus, Ga. Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 11:45:38 EST Subject: TMBG: question Message-ID: > moxy fruvous = bad, *nod* *grin* *back to lurking* ------------------------------ From: "Mr. Me" Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 12:04:29 CST Subject: TMBG: dr. spock's Message-ID: <4BC23307F7E@athena.valpo.edu> a couple people have asked me to burn them copies of dr. spock's backup band after i downloaded and made my own copy. however, i used a friend's cd burner and he graduated, so i'm s.o.l. for a cd burner. however, here's what i did to get the cd copied: 1. download the stuff 2. transfer to wav 3. make sure they're in order (some programs alphabatize their files, and if the tracks get out of order, it doesn't sound like a continuous live recording) 4. put them into one big file to record on to cd (if you copy one track at a time, it won't sound as continuous, but this step does take a LOT of memory) 5. burn the tracks on to cd 6. enjoy a great tmbg show. i'm not sure what the technical stuff invovled in the process is, since my roomate and my friend were more or less responsible for that. also, step #2, converting to wav, may occur somewhere else, but at some point it has to happen since cd players read wav files. that's all. anyone have the cover posted yet? jeremy [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] "Instead of creating new weapons of destruction, we ought to get some use out of the ones we already have." Deep Thoughts [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] Experience the many media of Jeremy Skrenes! Email: jskrenes@athena.valpo.edu Snail: or p356jskrenes@exodus.valpo.edu Wehrenberg Hall Airwaves: Sunday nights, 12-2am 95.1, WVUR Valparaiso, IN 46383 ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 12:10:22 -0600 Subject: TMBG: IFTS interps Message-ID: <19980521.121030.11078.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) hEY HEy kids! i'm interested in knowing if anyone has taken to interpreting any of the songs on IFTS... care to share? and please, don't flame me with "flansburgh's songs are so much more literal that there isn't any other way to interpret them" because, in my humble little world, there's always a unique way to look at something :) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::Founding member of the OOtah (utah) clan '97::: :::Wasatch, wasatch, wasatch with you?::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot Message-ID: Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 14:18:15 EDT Subject: TMBG: request@wfnx.com Yes, request@wfnx.com is the address you said your requests for your top 3 fav songs of alternative time, wait wrong wording, oh well, you get the idea. Come on! Let's get Birdhouse & Istanbul up there (I request these because non- listies will be voting for these too, I will be voting several times)... jason "support TMBG" glastetter ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot Message-ID: <3f2892f1.35647036@aol.com> Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 14:19:33 EDT Subject: PS TMBG: request@wfnx.com All entries have to be submitted by tomorrow ------------------------------ From: BrthrJuan Message-ID: <1cd052b5.356475aa@aol.com> Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 14:42:49 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: dr. spock's In a message dated 5/21/98 1:08:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time, JSKRENES@Athena.valpo.edu writes: > a couple people have asked me to burn them copies of dr. spock's > backup band after i downloaded and made my own copy. however, i used > a friend's cd burner and he graduated, so i'm s.o.l. for a cd burner. > however, here's what i did to get the cd copied: > > 1. download the stuff > 2. transfer to wav > 3. make sure they're in order (some programs alphabatize their files, > and if the tracks get out of order, it doesn't sound like a > continuous live recording) > 4. put them into one big file to record on to cd (if you copy one > track at a time, it won't sound as continuous, but this step does > take a LOT of memory) > 5. burn the tracks on to cd > 6. enjoy a great tmbg show. the actual transfering of the Mp3s into wav takes a ton of memory too. the Mp3s are about 3-6 mgs each, and the wavs will be an awful lot more (in some cases as large as 80). just letting you know that before you start the process make sure you do have a ton of memory like he said. aaron ------------------------------ From: Dr Worm X Message-ID: <8a8855f6.3564778d@aol.com> Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 14:50:52 EDT Subject: TMBG: Graham and IFTS As for Graham- He plays the bass on Nathalie Merchant's (sp?) record As for IFTS- I actually had the total opposite experience as most, for I found a large abundance of copies. I purchased the first one I found, which was as a local record store called crazy rhythms (the last one left), and when I went to Borders later that day, they had four copies left. Matt The few surviving samurai surveyed the battle field, they count the arms, the legs, and heads, and then divide by five http://members.aol.com/DrWormX ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: <1be1af58.35647d31@aol.com> Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 15:14:56 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Graham and IFTS In a message dated 5/21/98 3:00:11 PM, DrWormX@aol.com wrote: >As for Graham- He plays the bass on Nathalie Merchant's (sp?) record > >As for IFTS- *snip* I saw this subject header and thought it was going to be about something else.. Graham isn't thanked in IFTS's liner notes, where as Dan Hickey (yay!) and Brian Doherty (double yay! :)) are.. hmm. *also*, am I the only one thinking that the first voice in Dedicated Friend ("stop playing games of the mind!" or something like that) sounds like Linnell? More along the lines of his House of Mayors mayor voices.. sarah ------------------------------ From: filthyscarecrow@webtv.net Message-Id: <199805212037.NAA18247@mailtod-151.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 15:37:25 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Oh just stuff here is my story: the other day on the school bus, i was wearing my TMBG shirt and this girl in front of me turns around and says "please pass the milk, please" and "i don't understand you i just can't understand you". she really confused me. my brother bought the vinyl "Lincoln". " But we were expressin' ourselves!" -Flansy OH NO POP IS DEAD "most cartoons aren't broadcast live; it's a terrible strain on the animator's wrist" ------------------------------ Message-ID: <356494F8.E961218@pop3.concentric.net> Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 15:56:24 -0500 From: Anastasia Hunt Organization: bfe Productions Subject: Re: TMBG: Oh just stuff filthyscarecrow@webtv.net wrote: > here is my story: the other day on the school bus, i was wearing my > TMBG shirt and this girl in front of me turns around and says "please > pass the milk, please" and "i don't understand you i just can't > understand you". she really confused me. Those are lyrics from "Fingertips"off of Apollo 18. She was likely a fan. > my brother bought the vinyl "Lincoln". All right!! Bully for him! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 18:23:43 -0500 (CDT) From: Jackyl Subject: Re: TMBG: IFTS cd booklet Message-ID: On Thu, 21 May 1998, Joda: Master of Yedi wrote: > >Gas Mask might be a real band, if they are I'll go find a way to get > >some of > >their music. :P > > yeah, gas mask is a band... > someone has got an mp3 (jish? tdk?) of flans imitating them... > > take it easy, JOrdaN > http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html > I'm not sure who it was that had it also but I have the mp3 up on my site (as well as most of the songs off IFTS if anyone wants to hear them) http://www.the-b.org/~jackyl/mp3 Brandon ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980521193344.00692fdc@pop.indy.net> Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 19:33:44 -0400 From: rachel Subject: Re: TMBG: IFTS/ borders plug matt wrote: >As for IFTS- I actually had the total opposite experience as most, for I found >a large abundance of copies. I purchased the first one I found, which was as >a local record store called crazy rhythms (the last one left), and when I went >to Borders later that day, they had four copies left. > exzactly, anyone who's having trouble finding a copy go to borders. i became a loyal border's consumer after i found the devil ep there and no where else, which is surprizing because they're sort of a major store. and they had factory showroom and lincoln (the band) in their listening booths for months after they were released. now i always go there for all my tmbg/monopuff needs- and so should you! also, i feel kinda special because when i went to get IFTS they had to go in the back to get me a copy cuz i was the first person to ask for it! poo yah! (well, i suppose it's not that surprizing since i got there right when they were opening) meow, rachel ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3564D92A.4D30@stlnet.com> Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 19:47:24 -0600 From: Lynne Subject: TMBG: Vote? Hey. Anyone who is online, we might as well vote for They on Total Request (MTV) while we are on. total@mtvmail.com Don't Let's Start sound good? E-mail me (I'm on digest) if agreed. Hurry, it's on in a half-hour or so. Chris chrisl@tmbg.org "Save the whales. Collect the whole set." ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9805220140.AA03188@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: IFTS/ borders plug Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 21:40:03 -0400 (EDT) > matt wrote: > >As for IFTS- I actually had the total opposite experience as most, for I > found > >a large abundance of copies. I purchased the first one I found, which was as > >a local record store called crazy rhythms (the last one left), and when I > went > >to Borders later that day, they had four copies left. > > > exzactly, anyone who's having trouble finding a copy go to borders. i > became a loyal border's consumer after i found the devil ep there and no > where else, which is surprizing because they're sort of a major store. and > they had factory showroom and lincoln (the band) in their listening booths > for months after they were released. now i always go there for all my > tmbg/monopuff needs- and so should you! also, i feel kinda special because > when i went to get IFTS they had to go in the back to get me a copy cuz i > was the first person to ask for it! poo yah! (well, i suppose it's not that > surprizing since i got there right when they were opening) > The only problem I have with the big stores is that you have to listen to what *they* put on the listening station. A good used record store will let you listen to any record you want before buying, including new CDs if you ask them nicely. This is kind of a rare case where they had tmbg on the listening station, most of the music I wouldn't want to listen to anyway and I find the ones I do want to listen to are not on the listening station. But it is good that they are stocking the tmbg and monopuff! -Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #6-22 *****************************