Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #6-23 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 6, Number 23 Saturday, 23 May 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: Dr. Spock's TMBG: Mr. Hughes... TMBG: IFTS TMBG: IFTS Re: TMBG: IFTS TMBG:Pink Album Re: TMBG:Pink Album Re: TMBG:Pink Album Re: TMBG: Oh just stuff & IFTS TMBG: IFTS and star Wars? TMBG: Godzilla + Some TMBG Re: TMBG: IFTS Re: TMBG: IFTS Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: "Charles Box" Subject: TMBG: Dr. Spock's Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 23:19:23 -0700 Message-ID: <000201bd8549$8ffd7060$0100a8c0@chuckbox.k-online.com> Someone said they had Dr. Spock's backup band in mp3 format? I'd be interested in the URL. I downloaded the entire Live in NYC show in mp3 format and burned it to disc (high quality mp3 files also, 256000 sample rate)... actually CD players do not read .wav files, they read raw audio... but it is easy for computers to convert .wav files to raw audio because it is just the header that is different... I have cd burner programs that will burn cds from .au files also. ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: <833900b4.35659b63@aol.com> Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 11:36:02 EDT Subject: TMBG: Mr. Hughes... just got this forwarded to me... :) ---------------------- MOTTO by Langston Hughes. I play it cool And dig all jive - That's the reason I stay alive. My motto, As I live and learn, Is Dig and be dug In return. ---------------------- sarah ~ http://lava.home.ml.org [[[ps. you moxy/TMBG folks.. play the live "Boo Time" simultaneously with "Lie Still Little Bottle". ....creepy eh?:) ]]] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19980522084041.00733774@mailbox.ucdavis.edu> Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 08:40:57 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: IFTS I found it easily; just strolled into Tower and there it was, filed under "M". I got the last (only?) copy, as well as the only copy of Live Noise. Does anyone else think it's... well, not strange, but interesting that Linnell is not credited as co-author for "Poison Flowers", considering that it (okay, a snippet of it) originally aired as a TMBG song? I mean, not that it was exactly widely aired or anything, but still. I like Pretty Fly--anyone else think it sounds like that song from Dark Crystal? You know, the one that Kira sings when she and Jem are floating down the river? No? Must be another one of my hallucinations, sorry to trouble you all. :) --nicole the wonder nerd who is going to be blasphemous and heretical and admit that she doesn't really care for Mono Puff. *** "Here, I'm going to try it! " --my physics professor, attempting to travel to Jupiter by quantum tunneling. (It didn't work.) Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn ICQ #11984736 Public PGP key at http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn/key.html ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9805221602.AA03509@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: IFTS Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 12:02:20 -0400 (EDT) > Does anyone else think it's... well, not strange, but interesting that > Linnell is not credited as co-author for "Poison Flowers", considering that > it (okay, a snippet of it) originally aired as a TMBG song? I mean, not > that it was exactly widely aired or anything, but still. Wasn't there a song that originally was played by Monopuff live that TMBG went on to play (maybe SEXXY, perhaps I'm hallucinating), I know it was some song Monopuff played. Anyway, you don't see in the credits on the TMBG album, song by Monopuff. I don't know if Linnell had a creative hand on Poison Flowers, but I'd tend to think not. It's probably just a Flansburgh song and he decided to try it out with TMBG. The Johns have known each other for a long time, have played together for ages, I think they're close enough to just flip songs between one and the other band and Linnell not to really care (that is if it's a Flansburgh-written song, or a Linnell song specifically written for Monopuff, something I doubt would happen, but I suppose could be possible). Flansburgh might also play his songs with TMBG and Monopuff to test which band fits the mood of the song better and thus proclaims it a TMBG or a Monopuff song. Just some thoughts, and I have to disagree with Nicole, Monopuff is great, especially if you see them live. The last time I saw Monopuff live I actually felt about 100 times more excited than the last few TMBG shows. At first I thought it might have been the "new-ness" of it all, but then I realized it was more than that, it was hearing this wonderfully arranged live show with these great songs. -Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980522123422.006c5bbc@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 12:34:22 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: IFTS At 12:02 PM 5/22/98 -0400, Matthew James wrote: >Wasn't there a song that originally was played by Monopuff live that >TMBG went on to play (maybe SEXXY, perhaps I'm hallucinating), I know it >was some song Monopuff played. Anyway, you don't see in the credits on "New York City" was originally going to be covered by Mono Puff on "Unsupervised"... Mono Puff played it live, but it was recorded by TMBG... That's the only one I know of. TTYL, -Adam http://www.he-man.org/ctyner http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: BenMoobil Message-ID: Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 13:25:23 EDT Subject: TMBG:Pink Album Ok i have a question the movie marquis on the pink album has Rambo, Aliens,ET,Friday the 13th,Top Gun,Commando,Psycho3,and back to Sc? what is that last move i can't rightly read it and whos in it? and whos favorate movies are these John and John or the artists? The Ben now and forever himself ------------------------------ From: Strawbos69 Message-ID: <38fa20ea.3565b62b@aol.com> Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 13:30:18 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG:Pink Album In a message dated 98-05-22 13:27:32 EDT, BenMoobil@aol.com writes: << Ok i have a question the movie marquis on the pink album has Rambo, Aliens,ET,Friday the 13th,Top Gun,Commando,Psycho3,and back to Sc? what is that last move i can't rightly read it and whos in it? and whos favorate movies are these John and John or the artists? >> Back to School? Wasn't that like, a Rodney Dangerfield movie? That's my guess... ------------------------------ From: Superman25 Message-ID: <4d1464b8.3565b91d@aol.com> Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 13:42:52 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG:Pink Album hi. >Ok i have a question the movie marquis on the pink album has Rambo, >Aliens,ET,Friday the 13th,Top Gun,Commando,Psycho3,and back to Sc? >what is that last move i can't rightly read it and whos in it? and whos >favorate movies are these John and John or the artists? yes, that is back to school starring rodney dangerfield. all the movies on the marquee are films that would have been released in 1986, the same time that the pink album was released. and yes, ET, too. it was re-released in theaters around that time. adam schaaf, who pays attention to roman numeral copyright dates after the credits. ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 18:37:12 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Oh just stuff & IFTS Message-ID: <19980522.135214.4814.1.Mr.Train@juno.com> On Thu, 21 May 1998 15:56:24 -0500 Anastasia Hunt writes: > > >filthyscarecrow@webtv.net wrote: > >> here is my story: the other day on the school bus, i was wearing >my >> TMBG shirt and this girl in front of me turns around and says >"please >> pass the milk, please" and "i don't understand you i just can't >> understand you". she really confused me. > >Those are lyrics from "Fingertips"off of Apollo 18. She was likely a >fan. Yuh think? I hope you were kidding... Anyway, I have given up all hope of ever finding It's Fun To Steal at any of the stores in my area I guess I'll have to order it from the info club or CDNow (probably the latter since I don't wanna wait 6+months for the CD) One question I have about IFTS. Are the tracks exactly the same as on the Hello disks or are they different recordings? >> my brother bought the vinyl "Lincoln". > >All right!! Bully for him! For some reason, although it is my life ambition to own the Pink album on vinyl, I am too lazy to order it from the info club... I dunno why... Tim, moving to Pell Lake, WI Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: Youth Culture Killed My Dog Last CD Purchase: Naked Baby Photos - Ben Folds Five Favorite mainstream song: History Repeating - Propellor Heads f/ Shirley Bassey _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 14:17:11 -0500 (CDT) Message-Id: <199805221917.OAA12752@ns2.accesscomm.net> From: Kristen Maxwell Subject: TMBG: IFTS and star Wars? ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3565F2A0.13CF7802@pacificnet.net> Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 13:48:19 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Godzilla + Some TMBG In a message dated 5/20/98 9:52:44 PM, hotcha57@hotmail.com wrote: >Does anyone else have the new Godzilla soundtrack? It is amazing in my >opinion. I almost bought it because it has a previously unreleased song by Jamiroquai. But I wasn't so sure about those other bands. Someone should have done a cover of Blue Oyster Cult's Godzilla song. And now for a little TMBG content... I turned on the radio today and KROQ (L.A.) was playing Don't Let's Start. This isnt a little college radio staion. It one of the top alternative stations in the country. It turns out theyre doing something this weekend called "The History of KROQ: A to Z" They must of been in the D's. (It was followed by Culture Club's "Do You Really Want to Hurt Me") -B O N G O ____________________________________________ "The world fascinates me. It's so nice. Whatever it is." -Andy Warhol ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 16:46:00 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: IFTS Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 22-May-98 TMBG: IFTS by Matthew James@envy.loyol > Wasn't there a song that originally was played by Monopuff live that > TMBG went on to play (maybe SEXXY, perhaps I'm hallucinating), I know it > was some song Monopuff played. Anyway, you don't see in the credits on > the TMBG album, song by Monopuff. I don't know if Linnell had a that's because the song in question was New York City, which was written by cub. S-E-X-X-Y was written by John Flansburgh and Hal Cragin. (I doubt Linnell had a whole lot to do with it). First Kiss, a song by Flansburgh that is currently a TMBG song, was played by Mono Puff at one of their Mercury Lounge appearances. And Maine, a song from John Linnell's State Songs, can still be heard on Dial-a-Song. (as can Unsupervised and Nixon's the One) Plus, Linnell is the first person thanked in the "thanks to" part of the liner notes... Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Everything sticks until it goes away, * This space inadvertently And the truth is we don't know anything." -TMBG * left blank. ------------------------------ From: Cajun Gram Message-ID: <589f4594.3566080d@aol.com> Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 19:19:40 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: IFTS In a message dated 98-05-22 11:41:47 EDT, you write: << I like Pretty Fly--anyone else think it sounds like that song from Dark Crystal? You know, the one that Kira sings when she and Jem are floating down the river? No? Must be another one of my hallucinations, sorry to trouble you all. :) >> YEAH!!!!! ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #6-23 *****************************