Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #6-27 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 6, Number 27 Wednesday, 27 May 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: IFTS Re: Very Very NON TMBG:The TRUMAN Show Re: TMBG: Leffel Update Re: Very Very NON TMBG:The TRUMAN Show Re: TMBG: Leffel Update Sorta-TMBG: will the Mystery Leffel enter and sign in, please? Re: Very Very NON TMBG:The TRUMAN Show Re: Very Very NON TMBG:The TRUMAN Show TMBG: A TMBG Message TMBG: Happy mutants Re: TMBG: what were the original words? (was: "List stages") Re: Very Very NON TMBG:The TRUMAN Show Re: Very Very NON TMBG:The Cable Guy/Godzilla Re: Very Very NON TMBG:The Cable Guy/Godzilla Re: Very Very NON TMBG:The Cable Guy/Godzilla Fwd: Very Very NON TMBG:The Cable Guy/Godzilla Re: Very Very NON TMBG:The TRUMAN Show Re: TMBG: Happy mutants NON TMBG: Negativeland Re: SemiTMBG:Who's married to who? Fwd: Very Very NON TMBG:Godzilla / The Truman Show NON TMBG: Negativeland TMBG: remote protocol error? Re: Very Very NON TMBG:The TRUMAN Show Re: Very Very NON TMBG:The TRUMAN Show Re: Very Very NON TMBG:The TRUMAN Show Re: TMBG: Leffel Update Re: TMBG: Leffel Update NON TMBG: Fear and Loathing Re: TMBG: Leffel Update Re: NON TMBG: Naked Lunch Re: NON TMBG: Naked Lunch Re: NON TMBG: Naked Lunch Re: NON TMBG: Naked Lunch Re: NON TMBG: Naked Lunch Re: Very Very NON TMBG:The TRUMAN Show Re: Very Very NON TMBG:The Cable Guy/Godzilla Re: Very Very NON TMBG:The TRUMAN Show Re: NON TMBG: Fear and Loathing Re: NON TMBG: Naked Lunch Re: TMBG: Happy mutants Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19980526100103.007bf690@mail-in.keme.net> Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 10:01:03 +0100 From: Squidgy Colin Subject: TMBG: IFTS Ok, how grooooovey is IFTS!!!!? I had no idea when I filled in the import form of what I was letting myself in for. I have no quibbles with it at all (which is strange when you concider that I am a picky little sod). I have a minor grump as the teeth in the CD case were mostly smashed out but what do you expect with importing huh!?! The tracks that absolutely struck me were I just found out what everybody knows, Creepy, Hillbilly drummer girl and Extra Krispy (does anyone else get turned on by the sexy vocals on this track?????). The tarcks previously mentioned are obviously going to change as my faves as time marches on but that's what happens with new CDs. I am thinking of importing Unsupervised, how different is it to IFTS? OK, no more questions.... I discovered a new level of pain as me and my mates sat around a pool last night and polished off 12 bottles of champaign (SP?), what a life, monopuff, a pool party and now a body that's beat.... ouch.... ouch.... --cols, ~THE ELLESLEYS~ (of Colchester-Essex-UK) Home Page: Http://www.keme.co.uk/~thelimes/ TMBG page: Http://members.xoom.com/uncle_squid/Xoom/ <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> "Selfishness is not a bad thing, you get what you want and there is nothing more important in life than self-forfilment" The Book Of Squid 34:1 <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980526133835.4154.rocketmail@send1d.yahoomail.com> Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 06:38:35 -0700 (PDT) From: Leanne Fraser Subject: Re: Very Very NON TMBG:The TRUMAN Show I also am looking much forward to this movie. I think it starts this friday in T.O. If it does, I have a bunch of friends who also wish to see it. Besides, the only movie with him in it that i didn't like was Cable Guy. Peace Love and Vegetables, Leanne _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 08:08:19 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Leffel Update Message-ID: On Tue, 26 May 1998, S. Bergeron wrote: > Well, I made contact with the Mike Leffel I know....sort of... > > It seems that while he is a They fan, he has never posted to the list; > indeed, he's never heard of it. My friend with whom he is better acquainted > theorizes that it may have been his brother posting as him. Anyway, the > Mike Leffel enigma seems destined to continue.... buh? where does this mike leffel of yours live? btw, i have independent verification of the existence and sense of humor of the mike leffel that *did* post to the list. unless it's a conspiracy. --jim kuemmerle, guessing it's probably not the same guy. j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980526145920.006be79c@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 09:59:20 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: Very Very NON TMBG:The TRUMAN Show >I also am looking much forward to this movie. I think it starts this >friday in T.O. If it does, I have a bunch of friends who also wish to >see it. Besides, the only movie with him in it that i didn't like was >Cable Guy. > Well hopefully you'll be disapointed. I HATE Jim Carey, or at least his "acting." I actually enjoyed The Cable Guy because it wasn't Jim Carey being Jim Carey, it was Jim demonstrating that he could play a part. That is what Truman is s'posed to be, Carey being a character, not himself. I actually plan on seing this one. So far the only JCarey films I can tolerate are: 1. The Cable Guy 2. Earth Girls Are Easy 3. Peggy Sue Got Married (I don't mean to sound rude, so please don't hurt me. I'm very fragile) LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980526150120.006acfe4@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 10:01:20 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: Leffel Update > >> Well, I made contact with the Mike Leffel I know....sort of... >> >> It seems that while he is a They fan, he has never posted to the list; >> indeed, he's never heard of it. My friend with whom he is better acquainted >> theorizes that it may have been his brother posting as him. Anyway, the >> Mike Leffel enigma seems destined to continue.... > >buh? > >where does this mike leffel of yours live? > >btw, i have independent verification of the existence and sense of humor >of the mike leffel that *did* post to the list. unless it's a conspiracy. > Me thinks this is a different Mike Leffel. Up with One line posts! LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199805261700.NAA25800@elvis.vnet.net> From: "Could be an Illusion" Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 13:01:04 -0500 Subject: Sorta-TMBG: will the Mystery Leffel enter and sign in, please? -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- On Tue, 26 May 1998 10:01:20 -0500, The Li'l Depressed Boy wrote: Yobba... >>> It seems that while he is a They fan, he has never posted to the list; >>> indeed, he's never heard of it. My friend with whom he is better acquainted >>> theorizes that it may have been his brother posting as him. Anyway, the >>> Mike Leffel enigma seems destined to continue.... >>btw, i have independent verification of the existence and sense of humor >>of the mike leffel that *did* post to the list. unless it's a conspiracy. >Me thinks this is a different Mike Leffel. I think we need to get both the real Mike Leffel and this cheap offshore knockoff on here! Then we can sell tickets for the Battle of the Network Leffels. Dylan, contact the Pay-Per-View people; I'll book Madison Square Garden. Either that, or the "new" one can simply take over from the old one, and we'll pretend we had an unbroken succession -- rather like changing Popes, but with fewer fancy hats. Whipping up a new batch of chocolate-covered watermelon, =] Carl Hudkins + Tape list available at =--> http://users.vnet.net/chud/ [y ] [t =] "If Mom had known she was expecting, she might've gone to St. John's [h ] instead of drinking her fill with a Sudafed..." [e =] --words I heard, instead of the real ones by They Might Be Giants [r -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: 2.6.2 Comment: Would you send mail without an envelope? iQCVAwUBNWr1T75BFpotHh45AQFoCAQAl3s7kt5wX/4FNKePcRNCeX2qhWzAaX+Y xdW48U3d5KWVzwl9Ja1l2T3fZHm+Y/8XeMFLrOqrgkDsPYpSSlCwotF4N0kY+5gN sednGWY1zLWQaO7GfPuRReRUe229Hkq2EOYoJ6GAJ/fSEG3g8MEanuEkAe6uXA0E jLS3CGhpUSI= =fR60 -----END PGP SIGNATURE----- ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 15:50:59 -0400 Subject: Re: Very Very NON TMBG:The TRUMAN Show Message-ID: <19980526.155744.3150.1.gray42@juno.com> >1. The Cable Guy >2. Earth Girls Are Easy >3. Peggy Sue Got Married > >LDB boy is this list lucky they didn't experience my EGAE craze phaze 8D Mysterio Gal (fellow Subgenius & Happy Mutant) " If there were no doorknobs nobody would be abel to open the doors. Everybody would die" --Claire (age 6) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 15:42:39 -0400 Subject: Re: Very Very NON TMBG:The TRUMAN Show Message-ID: <19980526.155744.3150.0.gray42@juno.com> On Tue, 26 May 1998 06:38:35 -0700 (PDT) Leanne Fraser writes: > > >I also am looking much forward to this movie. I think it starts this >friday in T.O. If it does, I have a bunch of friends who also wish to >see it. Besides, the only movie with him in it that i didn't like was >Cable Guy. > >Peace Love and Vegetables, >Leanne > really, Cable Guy was one of my favorites, I thought he did a great job acting as a criminally insane lunatic who was both frightening and (annoying: in my sister's opinion). But that's just me, anyway the cable guy reminds me of the raving lunatic my sister used to go out with (large exageration of course) I guess a lot of people happen to not like the movie, but I loved it and I'm proud to say so :) Not to mention it sent the wonderful message (television rots your brain) I'd have to say my least favorite is Ace V. 2. Just wanted to state my opinion on Cable Guy :) Mysterio Gal (fellow Subgenius & Happy Mutant) " If there were no doorknobs nobody would be abel to open the doors. Everybody would die" --Claire (age 6) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 > >_________________________________________________________ >DO YOU YAHOO!? >Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com > > _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <356B32F2.30F3@stlnet.com> Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 15:24:05 -0600 From: Lynne Subject: TMBG: A TMBG Message Hey. As long as we are on the topic of computer games/TMBG... On the game "Harry the Handsome Executive" for the Macintosh, on the main menu, if you press the "x" key, a message comes up, But Mr. Horrible says "I don't mind, the thing that bothers me is - someone keeps moving my chair." I thought that was kinda cool. In the game you move around in a chair, hence the chair reference. Thanks. Chris chrisl@tmbg.org "Introducing Windows98, with multiple monitor support. Imagine that. I believe Macintoshes have had that capability since 1986." ------------------------------ From: filthyscarecrow@webtv.net Message-Id: <199805262049.NAA08804@mailtod-152.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 15:49:33 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Happy mutants Can someone please tell me where I can find that Happy Mutant book? Or maybe the author? That Talking Heads song is called "Once In A Lifetime" (the one with the line "same as it ever was" in it). " But we were expressin' ourselves!" -Flansy OH NO POP IS DEAD "most cartoons aren't broadcast live; it's a terrible strain on the animator's wrist" ------------------------------ Message-ID: <008801bd88eb$809e6c00$0201a8c0@acidjazz.org> From: "kevin (acidjazz)" Subject: Re: TMBG: what were the original words? (was: "List stages") Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 14:16:08 -0700 WHY AM I ON THIS MAILING LIST WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS??? :[ kevin(acidjazz)kevin@fritz.gothik.edu ]: -----Original Message----- From: Adam Tyner To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Monday, May 25, 1998 12:00 PM Subject: Re: TMBG: what were the original words? (was: "List stages") :At 03:39 PM 5/25/98 +0000, Chris \"Feeny\" Campbell wrote: :>I have it on the sexxy cd, is it the same song/mix/version that is on the :MMPR :>soundtrack? : :The bridge is different, and the tempo on the SEXXY version is a bit faster. : :-Adam : http://www.he-man.org/ctyner : http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ :The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! : Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 16:22:24 -0500 (CDT) From: "Christopher M. Stangl" Subject: Re: Very Very NON TMBG:The TRUMAN Show Message-ID: On Mon, 25 May 1998 gray42@juno.com wrote: > Yeah, I know, I shouldn't have brought it up... Enough throwing stones at > me, I can't help it if I'm excited (which I am) I'm all hyped and > excited about The TRUMAN Show, it just seems to have such a neat plot and > style to it, What you mean is it has a neat plot which directly rips off a story David Byrne wrote and included in his book "Strange Ritual"... not to mention that it rips of a "Twilight Zone" episode, in the first place... > not to mention being a big Jim Carrey fan :D I was just > wonderin' if anyone else is as excited about this movie as I am. I saw > this kick-ass trailer (actually I've seen many) but what made this > kick-ass was it was long, and had a lot of info and it had one of my > favorite talking heads songs to go along with it 'Same As It Ever Was' > (I think it's called) "Once In A Lifetime", actually. Quite possibly the finest piece of music ever written. As I do love Talking Heads more than life itself, I am a bit distraught about this gross misuse of one of my contenders for all-time favorite song. > which brings me to wonder what the soundtrack will > be like, and that this movie will probably be an outstanding MUTANT movie > (am I wrong) This is exactly the kind of movie your fellow Yeti will NOT be waiting in line for- not when we could just as easily be at home watching "The Satan Bug" or "Brain that Wouldn't Die" or a double feature of "Arise!" and a good Gamera movie. > and quite franly I'm excited, anyone else? > Mysterio Gal (fellow Subgenius & Happy Mutant) I'm WORRIED, actually... I detest the comedy stylin's of "Ace" Carrey, and am concerned that this film will serve only to boost his popularity. -Rev. Chris Stangl ------------------------------ From: Dr Worm X Message-ID: Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 17:45:43 EDT Subject: Re: Very Very NON TMBG:The Cable Guy/Godzilla I did enjoy Ace 1 when it came out, (I was like 11 or something), but after I realized how stupid it was, I started to hate it. The Opposite occured for the cable guy. When I saw it in the theater, I didn't like it at all, but after seeing it a few times on HBO, I really started to fancy it, and found myself very interested in the plot. Speaking of Matthew Broderick movies...I saw Godzilla on Thursday night, and left before it was even over (this is only the second time I've walked out on a movie, the first time being Lost World..but anyway...). It was one of the worst movies I have EVER SEEN (beating out even raw target, which was so bad, it was funny). The acting was HORRENDOUS (excluding Hank Azaria, and possibly Harry Shearer), as was the plot, and every other aspect nausiated me. Matt The few surviving samurai surveyed the battle field, they count the arms, the legs, and heads, and then divide by five http://members.aol.com/DrWormX ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: <2094962c.356b3ad2@aol.com> Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 17:57:37 EDT Subject: Re: Re: Very Very NON TMBG:The Cable Guy/Godzilla In a message dated 5/26/98 5:47:07 PM, DrWormX@aol.com wrote: >Speaking of Matthew Broderick movies. speaking of Matthew Broderick movies, am I the only one who has problems picturing him in any other character besides Ferris Bueller? :) As for the Jim Carrey stuff... IMO his "humour" gets old FAST. I watched the Mask and Dumb and Dumber, and I didn't detest them, but I find him pretty boring (a la Jim Breuer). I tried to like him, but I just couldn't. sarah linnellgirl@tmbg.org ~ http://lava.home.ml.org now playing: moxy fruvous ~ "you will go to the moon" ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 16:26:06 -0600 Subject: Re: Very Very NON TMBG:The Cable Guy/Godzilla Message-ID: <19980526.162611.13966.5.TMBgirl@juno.com> >.I saw Godzilla on Thursday >night, and >left before it was even over (this is only the second time I've walked >out on >a movie, the first time being Lost World..but anyway...). It was one >of the >worst movies I have EVER SEEN that's the word in the alley... i haven't run into a single person that enjoyed this movie in the slightest bit... >, but I find him >pretty >boring (a la Jim Breuer). I tried to like him, but I just couldn't. yo whoa... the SNL guy? am i thinking of the same person?! take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Kaylum Message-ID: <85270c4b.356b455c@aol.com> Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 18:42:35 EDT Subject: Fwd: Very Very NON TMBG:The Cable Guy/Godzilla [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (message/rfc822)] ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 18:20:27 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Happy mutants Message-ID: <19980526.183231.3150.0.gray42@juno.com> OK, Here's my story of how I got it, Before it died, I volunteered my time at a youth run youth center as one of the high powers in decision making and staffing (you don't get any higher than a staffer, but some of the staffers were natural leaders, I am not, but all staffers were to be equal, and all decisions put to a vote [it sounds good but it failed miserabely]) We had moved several times, upon receiving the third building for the third place, a new shipment of books had arrived, one of which, The Happy Mutant Handbook, which I quickly borrowed, when the Third Place died I decided to keep the book, having finally gotten it back from my sister, figuring my friend, would have more use of it than I, I gave it to him. Later, in a fit of rage, his mother tore the book to peices. Sad eh' I have the E-mail address of the girl who originally ordered it, I may be able to contact her and find the needed info, just wanted to spread my story of sadness and raise hopes (hopefully ones NOT to be crushed) Mysterio Gal (fellow Subgenius & Happy Mutant) " If there were no doorknobs nobody would be abel to open the doors. Everybody would die" --Claire (age 6) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 18:48:57 -0400 Subject: NON TMBG: Negativeland Message-ID: <19980526.184916.3150.2.gray42@juno.com> Sorry, I know I've caused enough non TMBG related trouble already, and I'll probably be kicked off the list (another exageration) for this, but a chain reaction of events has taken place, Rev. Chris M's love of Talking Heads caused me to remember my comming home from school feeling extremely ill, taking a nap whilst listening to the TALKING Heads album "Naked" and waking up feeling much better, which reminded me of the time I listened to The Wilsaphone Stupid Show while sick w/ delerium, and ended up going totally out of my mind, which leads me to ask this uneeded question, am I the only person on this list who is a fan of San Francisco's Radio Show, Negativeland? BTW- I may be mistaken about the radio thing because I live in South Florida, and also, to those who know, I'd say my favorite character is of course, The Weatherman :) Mysterio Gal (fellow Subgenius & Happy Mutant) " If there were no doorknobs nobody would be abel to open the doors. Everybody would die" --Claire (age 6) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: <5dfcb46e.356b4c78@aol.com> Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 19:12:55 EDT Subject: Re: SemiTMBG:Who's married to who? Ferris Bueler (hey! speaking of...) is on HBO right now, and it just occured to me, from what I remember Karen (Mrs. Linnell) looking like, she kinda looks a little like Sloan, Ferris' girlfriend. (well from what I remember anyways.. at least she did then..) and for the record: Flans is married to Robin "Sister Puff" Goldwasser. sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <356B540C.C58085E3@home.com> Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 16:45:27 -0700 From: NICHOLAS JANSSEN Organization: @Home Network Subject: Fwd: Very Very NON TMBG:Godzilla / The Truman Show Ok here it comes... I Liked Godzilla! I mean you have to take it for what it is. Ya ok I hate the stupid love sub-plot and yes the part when they get trapped in his mouth and then drive away on to a broken bridge was over the top But you have to love the computer animation. In a world were the audience knows how movies are made and all the tricks of the trade, it is vary hard to make that old-time "movie magic" happen without letting the audience know what the "trick" was that made it. That is why I think Godzilla delivers. You know that it was made on a computer but you can't tell. (for the most part) Not to mention it was action packed through out the whole move unlike deep impact where the whole move was stupid sub-plots that led know were and then you did not even get to see the stuff that you really wanted to see like the inside of the ark (underground tunnels)! ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 17:46:20 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: NON TMBG: Negativeland Message-ID: On Tue, 26 May 1998 gray42@juno.com wrote: > Sorry, I know I've caused enough non TMBG related trouble already, and > I'll probably be kicked off the list (another exageration) for this, eh, uh... boot to the head. :) (snippage) > ... which reminded me of the time I listened to The Wilsaphone Stupid > Show while sick w/ delerium, and ended up going totally out of my mind, > which leads me to ask this uneeded question, am I the only person on > this list who is a fan of San Francisco's Radio Show, Negativeland? BTW- > I may be mistaken about the radio thing because I live in South Florida, > and also, to those who know, I'd say my favorite character is of course, > The Weatherman :) ah, yes! the weatherman! i too am a fan of negativland -- (although, the willsaphone stupid show is the only negativland i've yet had the opportunity to hear). last summer, shortly after i had signed on the list, a fellow happy mutant by the name of harmony, who was working in the same fruit fly lab that i was, introduced me to that same insanity-inducing cd duo... i sat there for the duration of the recordings, absolutely transfixed. the only break i took was to change discs. although, i was doodling around in adobe photoshop at the time. the result was a brief series of digital paintings of things i saw around me in the lab. the 'audio verite' aspect of TWSS had apparently inspired me or something. --jim kuemmerle, who's been boopaleeping his mcnothing ever since... (http://www.negativland.com/audio/boopleep.wav) (http://www.negativland.com/audio/mcnothin.wav) ps: i just paid a nostalgic visit to their website (www.negativland.com) and am pleased to note that they are *not* going to be sued by pepsi over their latest album! (yaaaay!) j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9805262335.AA06022@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: remote protocol error? Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 19:35:38 -0400 (EDT) For some reason I'm getting this error when sending to tmbg-list. It's not the first time it's happened, has anyone else experienced this? Normal message I was sending is below... > ----- Transcript of session follows ----- > >>> RCPT To: > <<< 571 ... we do not relay > 554 tmbg-list@tmbg.org... Remote protocol error > > ----- Unsent message follows ----- > Received: by envy.loyola.edu (5.57/Ultrix3.0-C) > id AA06009; Tue, 26 May 98 19:33:38 -0400 > From: mjames (Matthew James) > Subject: Re: Re: Very Very NON TMBG:The Cable Guy/Godzilla > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 19:33:37 -0400 (EDT) > X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.4 PL22] > Content-Type: text > Content-Length: 899 > > > As for the Jim Carrey stuff... IMO his "humour" gets old FAST. I watched = > > the > > Mask and Dumb and Dumber, and I didn't detest them, but I find him pretty > > boring (a la Jim Breuer). I tried to like him, but I just couldn't.=20 > > > Someone on the radio was going on about how they fell asleep during > Godzilla...not a good omen. I don't know if I'll see it in the cinema. > Also, it only got about 55 mil over the weekend, nothing near 90 mil > like one of the Jurassic Park movies got on opening weekend, apparently, > 55 million bucks is a disappointment. > > On another note, I did think that Jim Carrey was very funny in Liar > Liar, and also as that disco dancer on that SNL where he dances with the > 2 guys who bop women between them. I think he's had good roles and bad > roles. > -Matt, happily listening to Joy Division's Substance, especially Atmosphere -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980526235931.006bb240@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 18:59:31 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: Very Very NON TMBG:The TRUMAN Show > What you mean is it has a neat plot which directly rips off a >story David Byrne wrote and included in his book "Strange Ritual"... not >to mention that it rips of a "Twilight Zone" episode, in the first >place... I'm sorry but I love Dave Byrne as much as the next guy, (but not the guy after that) that was not an original plot. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if it dates back to the days of the romans. "There are no original plots, just new spins on it." --LDB (WAIT THERES MORE\/ \/ \/) Keep readin'. >> not to mention being a big Jim Carrey fan :D I was just >> wonderin' if anyone else is as excited about this movie as I am. I saw >> this kick-ass trailer (actually I've seen many) but what made this >> kick-ass was it was long, and had a lot of info and it had one of my >> favorite talking heads songs to go along with it 'Same As It Ever Was' >> (I think it's called) > > "Once In A Lifetime", actually. Quite possibly the finest piece >of music ever written. As I do love Talking Heads more than life itself, >I am a bit distraught about this gross misuse of one of my contenders for >all-time favorite song. I'm sorry you have no where to be distraught about this, the studio paid for the rights to use the song. Now if they illegaly stole it, then you'd have a leg to stand on. >> which brings me to wonder what the soundtrack will >> be like, and that this movie will probably be an outstanding MUTANT movie >> (am I wrong) > > This is exactly the kind of movie your fellow Yeti will NOT be >waiting in line for- not when we could just as easily be at home watching >"The Satan Bug" or "Brain that Wouldn't Die" or a double feature of >"Arise!" and a good Gamera movie. Ahem. Mutants are people too. Everyone one has their own thoughts, we are not a mass collective of intelligence. Ahem. >> and quite franly I'm excited, anyone else? >> Mysterio Gal (fellow Subgenius & Happy Mutant) > > I'm WORRIED, actually... I detest the comedy stylin's of "Ace" >Carrey, and am concerned that this film will serve only to boost his >popularity. As it has been stated several times, it is not a "Jim Carey Movie," he is in it, yes. But he is playing an average joe this time, not an idiot. LDB, "Same as it ever was" -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 20:17:35 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: Very Very NON TMBG:The TRUMAN Show Message-ID: On Tue, 26 May 1998, The Li'l Depressed Boy wrote: > "There are no original plots, just new spins on it." --LDB may i direct your attention to: http://www.suck.com/daily/98/05/18/ > Ahem. Mutants are people too. Everyone one has their own thoughts, we > are not a mass collective of intelligence. Ahem. we are, in fact, a mass collective of incandescent gas. you will be assimilated. --jim kuemmerle, hopped up on more caffeine in the past 12 hours than the last three weeks combined... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu "THE SUN IS HOT! AIEEEEEEE!!!!" ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980526212059.006904c8@pop.indy.net> Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 21:20:59 -0400 From: rachel Subject: Re: Very Very NON TMBG:The TRUMAN Show Mysterio Gal wrote: >Yeah, I know, I shouldn't have brought it up... Enough throwing stones at >me, I can't help it if I'm excited (which I am) I'm all hyped and >excited about The TRUMAN Show, it just seems to have such a neat plot and >style to it, not to mention being a big Jim Carrey fan :D I was just >wonderin' if anyone else is as excited about this movie as I am. no, not really (although i mean no ill wishes or tossed stones). actually (to fuel the fire) i really hate jim carey. it's like in every movie he just plays himself, just more annoyingly and obnoxiously each time. what i can't stand is that people eat this stuff up, completely blind to the fact that they are watching the same movie 50 times over (ie: jim carey1, jim carey2, jim carey3 etc.). SO ANYWAY, what i would really like to know is if anyone has seen fear and loathing yet? i went to see it this weekend and i can't beleive it hasn't been mentioned yet. johnny depp is amazing, and i have never really considered myself a depp fan. i must say he is an excellent actor. over all the movie was just so incredibly bizzare, i'm still trying to figure it out. and of course- terry gilliam. pure genious. brazil is one of my favorite movies (second to "delicatessen"), and this is definetly in that vein. i heartly recommend this movie (fear and loathing) to everyone on the list- even though i couldn't explain a damn thing that happens in a logical sequence. i heard that it was even toned down from the book version (which i will be reading shortly), has anyone read it yet? >Extra Krispy (does anyone else get turned on by the sexy vocals on this >track?????). yes, and i'm a girl. i suppose theres a first time for everything.:) >speaking of Matthew Broderick movies, am I the only one who has problems >picturing him in any other character besides Ferris Bueller? :) yes (again) but he's soooooo adorable! lovies, rachel, who is pleased to announce that her anagram for apollo eighteen is now on tmbg.com. yee hah! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <002801bd8920$4c5d8cc0$20c4f6ce@idiotnot.visi.net> From: "S. Bergeron" Subject: Re: TMBG: Leffel Update Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 23:34:02 -0400 :On Tue, 26 May 1998, S. Bergeron wrote: : :> Well, I made contact with the Mike Leffel I know....sort of... :> :> It seems that while he is a They fan, he has never posted to the list; :> indeed, he's never heard of it. My friend with whom he is better acquainted :> theorizes that it may have been his brother posting as him. Anyway, the :> Mike Leffel enigma seems destined to continue.... : :buh? Bye.... :where does this mike leffel of yours live? Somewhere in the vicinity of Hampton, VA...... :btw, i have independent verification of the existence and sense of humor :of the mike leffel that *did* post to the list. unless it's a conspiracy. Methinks you've been watching too much X-files....oh well. Jack Bergeron idiotnot@visi.net bluedawg@tmbg.org http://www.monopuff.org/~bluedawg "As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way."--Jack Handy ICQ#5909618 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <356B8C9D.AEBB54FB@pop3.concentric.net> Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 22:46:37 -0500 From: Anastasia Hunt Organization: bfe Productions Subject: Re: TMBG: Leffel Update S. Bergeron wrote: > :On Tue, 26 May 1998, S. Bergeron wrote: > : > :> Well, I made contact with the Mike Leffel I know....sort of... > :> > :> It seems that while he is a They fan, he has never posted to the list; > :> indeed, he's never heard of it. My friend with whom he is better > acquainted > :> theorizes that it may have been his brother posting as him. Anyway, the > :> Mike Leffel enigma seems destined to continue.... > : > :buh? > > Bye.... > > :where does this mike leffel of yours live? > > Somewhere in the vicinity of Hampton, VA...... Wrong Mike Leffel. THE mike leffel lives in Nebraska. > > > :btw, i have independent verification of the existence and sense of humor > :of the mike leffel that *did* post to the list. unless it's a conspiracy. No......See above. Anastasia ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 20:44:28 -0700 (PDT) From: "J. Brown" Subject: NON TMBG: Fear and Loathing Message-ID: On Tue, 26 May 1998, rachel wrote: > SO ANYWAY, what i would really like to know is if anyone has seen fear and > loathing yet? i went to see it this weekend and i can't beleive it hasn't > been mentioned yet. johnny depp is amazing, and i have never really > considered myself a depp fan. i must say he is an excellent actor. over all > the movie was just so incredibly bizzare, i'm still trying to figure it I saw it on Saturday- It was a great film a real thrill ride although i wouldn't say its for everybody. I think to really apreciate it though you have to have some experience with drugs or at least have some apreciation for drugs. The only film i have seen that comapres with Fear and Loatihing in las Vegas would be David Cronneberg's Naked Lunch. But I think i enjoyed Fear and Loathing more because the meaning was more on the surface that being the loss of American Hope in the 1960's (not that Loss of Innocence crap we never were innocent!!) whereas I finally got the message of Naked Lunch after my 15th viewing- its about how a man creates art. > out. and of course- terry gilliam. pure genious. brazil is one of my > favorite movies (second to "delicatessen"), and this is definetly in that Aw now Gilliam far outclasses those wacky french guys! Gilliam is my second fav director after David Cronenberg. > vein. i heartly recommend this movie (fear and loathing) to everyone on the > list- even though i couldn't explain a damn thing that happens in a logical > sequence. i heard that it was even toned down from the book version (which I recomend it as well, but keep in mind its not for everyone- lots of bizarre things happening and not a very clear sequnce of events. jason ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 22:00:48 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Leffel Update Message-ID: On Tue, 26 May 1998, Anastasia Hunt wrote: > > :where does this mike leffel of yours live? > > > > Somewhere in the vicinity of Hampton, VA...... > > Wrong Mike Leffel. THE mike leffel lives in Nebraska. this is what i'm saying. :) > > :btw, i have independent verification of the existence and sense of > > :humor of the mike leffel that *did* post to the list. unless it's a > > :conspiracy. > > No......See above. i know -- it's just if (hypothetically speaking, of course) the mike leffel that we know and love were actually the brother of somebody named mike leffel, than vince broz (on whose page various and sundry leffelian images reside: http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~broz/newgifs/ ) would have to be in on it too... --jim kuemmerle, who's only paranoid about (gakpthfotfitphthththhhh!).... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980527040641.006b7638@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 23:06:41 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Naked Lunch >Loatihing in las Vegas would be David Cronneberg's Naked Lunch. But I Please don't refer to it as David Cronneberg's, it was never his, and never shall be. It is the sole property of William Burroghs, It just ticked me off to hear you say that. AND, am I the only one who see's Brazil as an Art Film, or is everyone just insane. (or maybe Inane) LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 21:52:07 -0700 (PDT) From: "J. Brown" Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Naked Lunch Message-ID: On Tue, 26 May 1998, The Li'l Depressed Boy wrote: > >Loatihing in las Vegas would be David Cronneberg's Naked Lunch. But I > Please don't refer to it as David Cronneberg's, it was never his, and never > shall be. It is the sole property of William Burroghs, It just ticked me > off to hear you say that. It's more Cronenberg's than Burroughs' film. Burrough said so himself. Have you read the book? It is brilliant in itself. But there is absolutely no narrative structure or theme. Cronenberg took Burroughs sketches and stories and added a bit of his own warped ideas. the whole framing structure of the film is cronenberg's creation- the Keroauc and Ginsberg characters as well as the Paul and Joan Bowles characters. cronenberg also focuses on human mutations and the body in revolt more than Burroughs. > AND, am I the only one who see's Brazil as an Art Film, or is everyone just > insane. (or maybe Inane) You bet it is an art film! jason ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980527050417.006c7040@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 00:04:17 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Naked Lunch >> AND, am I the only one who see's Brazil as an Art Film, or is everyone just >> insane. (or maybe Inane) > >You bet it is an art film! > Good someone was trying to tell me that it was a comedy. Hey I like my sig to be longer than my post, LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 22:07:19 -0700 (PDT) From: "J. Brown" Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Naked Lunch Message-ID: On Wed, 27 May 1998, The Li'l Depressed Boy wrote: > >> AND, am I the only one who see's Brazil as an Art Film, or is everyone just > >> insane. (or maybe Inane) > >You bet it is an art film! > > > Good someone was trying to tell me that it was a comedy. Well it is pretty darn funny! Its an art film and a black comedy. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980527050900.006b6170@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 00:09:00 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Naked Lunch At 10:07 PM 5/26/98 -0700, J. Brown wrote: >On Wed, 27 May 1998, The Li'l Depressed Boy wrote: > >> >> AND, am I the only one who see's Brazil as an Art Film, or is everyone just >> >> insane. (or maybe Inane) >> >You bet it is an art film! >> > >> Good someone was trying to tell me that it was a comedy. > >Well it is pretty darn funny! Its an art film and a black comedy. > Yeah, but it's more of an artfilm. Let's concede that it is a Black Comedy, executed as an exquisit art film. Sound good? UP WITH ART FILMS!!! Everyone go watch Brazil and Clockwork Orange, NOW! LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 27 May 98 01:13 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: Very Very NON TMBG:The TRUMAN Show >kick-ass was it was long, and had a lot of info and it had one of my >favorite talking heads songs to go along with it 'Same As It Ever Was' >(I think it's called) Isn't that "Once In a Lifetime"? At least, that one goes "same as it ever was/ same as it ever was/ same as it ever was..." and it also goes "And you may ask yourself/ where does that highway go to?" which is one of my favorite lines ever. I do so love the Talking Heads. :) Kirsten (very sleepy from driving an hour to see "Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas." I think it was worth it. :)) -- `'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`' "I have a great imaginary world, but, um, sometimes I need things to happen for real." - Ally McBeal Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 27 May 98 01:25 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: Re: Very Very NON TMBG:The Cable Guy/Godzilla >speaking of Matthew Broderick movies, am I the only one who has problems >picturing him in any other character besides Ferris Bueller? :)=20 Hee hee.. definitely not the only one. But then, "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" is one of the all-time greatest films ever made, so that's okay. ;) Kirsten -- `'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`' "I have a great imaginary world, but, um, sometimes I need things to happen for real." - Ally McBeal Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 27 May 98 01:38 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: Very Very NON TMBG:The TRUMAN Show >SO ANYWAY, what i would really like to know is if anyone has seen fear and >loathing yet? Yup; had to drive an hour to see it (damn conservative mid-michigan theaters), but it was well worth it. I already worship Terry Gilliam as a god, and this only confirms my love for the man... And Johnny Depp was incredible, I agree. I usually hate voice-overs in movies, but his voice is perfect and anyway, the voice-overs were quite amusing, to say the least. :) But hey, I've also been a confirmed Depp-lover since "Ed Wood." Kirsten -- `'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`' "I have a great imaginary world, but, um, sometimes I need things to happen for real." - Ally McBeal Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 27 May 98 01:40 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Fear and Loathing >I saw it on Saturday- It was a great film a real thrill ride although i >wouldn't say its for everybody. I think to really apreciate it though you >have to have some experience with drugs or at least have some apreciation >for drugs. I dunno about that; my experience with drugs is limited to O.D.ing on NoDoze once, and having a scary friend inform me that he was now legally insane from taking LSD and could get off by pleading insanity if he was ever charged with murder. :P I do, however, have an appreciation for movies that make me feel as though I've entered an altered state... Kirsten -- `'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`' "I have a great imaginary world, but, um, sometimes I need things to happen for real." - Ally McBeal Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 27 May 98 01:42 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Naked Lunch >AND, am I the only one who see's Brazil as an Art Film, or is everyone just >insane. (or maybe Inane) Art Film? What exactly to you mean? I certainly consider it art... Kirsten -- `'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`' "I have a great imaginary world, but, um, sometimes I need things to happen for real." - Ally McBeal Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 27 May 98 01:51 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Happy mutants Here's the info on _The Happy Mutant Handbook_. Editors are Frauenfelder, Sinclair, Branwyn, and Kreth, and the ISBN number is 1-57322-502-9. That should enable you to order it anywhere... Since I'm bored, here's the section on TMBG: "The two Johns (Flansburgh and Linnell) who make up TMBG combine impressive, almost effortless musicianship with a warped compositional sense and a bizarre range of subject matter. They sing odes to statues, charismatic dirtbikes, palindromes, girls who ignore them, and the Milky Way. Recommended albums: all of them!" I love that blurb - it doesn't even use the word "quirky." :) Kirsten -- `'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`' "I have a great imaginary world, but, um, sometimes I need things to happen for real." - Ally McBeal Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #6-27 *****************************