Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #6-28 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 6, Number 28 Thursday, 28 May 1998 Today's Topics: NON TMBG: Malcolm McDowell Re: NON TMBG: artsie films TMBG: Excessive shite on list Re: NON TMBG: Negativeland Re: NON TMBG: Negativeland TMBG: Non They Related(films) Re: Very Very NON TMBG:The TRUMAN Show Re: TMBG: Leffel Update Re: Very Very NON TMBG:The TRUMAN Show Re: NON TMBG:Talking Heads Re: NON TMBG: Naked Lunch Re: NON TMBG:Fear and Loathing TMBG: Moxy Fruvous Re: NON-TMBG: Moxy Fruvous TMBG: MonoPuff.Org Re: NON-TMBG: Moxy Fruvous Non-TMBG: Fear and Loathing Re: TMBG: MonoPuff.Org Re: TMBG: MonoPuff.Org NON-TMBG: the leffel uncertainty principle in action... NON-TMBG: Negativland TMBG: Mysterio Gal explanation Re: TMBG: Excessive shite on list Re: SemiTMBG:Who's married to who? Re: TMBG: Excessive shite on list Re: SemiTMBG:Who's married to who? TMBG: Is it Naked Jim eating Lunch? Re: TMBG: MonoPuff.Org TMBG: hey! who's that playing? Re: TMBG: hey! who's that playing? TMBG: chicken Re: TMBG: hey! who's that playing? Re: NON TMBG: movies (aka excessive shite) Re: TMBG: hey! who's that playing? Re: TMBG: hey! who's that playing? Re: TMBG: Non They Related(films) Re: NON TMBG:Fear and Loathing Re: NON TMBG:Talking Heads TMBG: They Might Be Giants - The Movie Re: TMBG: They Might Be Giants - The Movie Re: TMBG: They Might Be Giants - The Movie Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <199805270755.AAA38122@theta2.ben2.ucla.edu> Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 00:52:12 -0700 From: Josh Morgan Subject: NON TMBG: Malcolm McDowell >Yeah, but it's more of an artfilm. Let's concede that it is a Black Comedy, >executed as an exquisit art film. Sound good? UP WITH ART FILMS!!! >Everyone go watch Brazil and Clockwork Orange, NOW! > >LDB Brazil and A Clockwork Orange are two of my favs!! side note: THE highlight of my life (until i see TMBG in concert...), was meeting Malcolm McDowell in Santa Barbara. My friends and i were just strolling down state street when BAM! i'm standing face2face with "littl' alex" himself. i chatted with him and he autographed a dollar bill (cuz it was spontaneous and i had no other paper) just thought i'd reminisce, josh ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980527063923.0069893c@pop.indy.net> Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 06:39:23 -0400 From: rachel Subject: Re: NON TMBG: artsie films ldb wrote: >executed as an exquisit art film. Sound good? UP WITH ART FILMS!!! >Everyone go watch Brazil and Clockwork Orange, NOW! > actually, i didn't really like a clockwork orange that much. my boyfriend worships stanley kubrick and forces me to watch all his films. i liked to book so much better, i really felt that the movie (although cinematically beautiful) was unessesary. i recived all the information i needed through the book so the movie was just an overkill- even though there was less violence. i do think malcolm mcdowell did an excellent job, and the film was beautiful- but i was content with the book. kirsten wrote: >Johnny Depp was incredible, I agree. I usually hate voice-overs in >movies, but his voice is perfect and anyway, the voice-overs were quite >amusing, to say the least. :) But hey, I've also been a confirmed >Depp-lover since "Ed Wood." > yeah! i loved him because i kept forgetting it was him. (if that makes any sense) which proves he's a good actor, i suppose thats what actors are suppost to do and thats why i hate "actors" like jim carey so much- he doesn't. kristen also wrote: >I dunno about that; my experience with drugs is limited to O.D.ing >on NoDoze once, and having a scary friend inform me that he was now >legally insane from taking LSD and could get off by pleading insanity >if >he was ever charged with murder. :P I do, however, have an >appreciation >for movies that make me feel as though I've entered an altered >state... > i too have never had any experience with drugs besides nodoz and tylenol. i don't think that undermines my appreacheation of the film in any way though. the only other movie that comes to mind in this situation is trainspotting. that was an excellent movie, i loved it because it was so bizzare and the cinematography was breath taking. i don't think i had to have experiences with heroin to appreacheate it though. lovies, rachel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199805271205.WAA09798@sydney.healey.com.au> Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 21:32:39 +1000 From: Easy Friend Subject: TMBG: Excessive shite on list Well, I didn;t read the last list. But the main reason was coz I looked at all the subjects and found that most of them were NON TMBG and the TMBG ones didn;t interest me. Well, that was fair enough. I didn't have to spend much time wading through it all. But I was wondering why (if my maths is correct) you would have only 12 TMBG messages out of 39 on a TMBG list!!! Seems a tad odd to me and a little excessive. I'm not going to ask people to cut the shit coz people say what they want on these mailing lists... I just want people to consider their input to the list before they post. Sue me. BYE!!! Ad. &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& & See me, my life, my friends & & http://www.healey.com.au/~ad/ & &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980527130458.14198.rocketmail@send1e.yahoomail.com> Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 06:04:58 -0700 (PDT) From: Leanne Fraser Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Negativeland Hi there, I'm just curious, What exactly is Negativeland? Is it a comedy duo? I have never heard of them. And being someone who LOVES comedy, I thought it sounded interesting. Peace Love and Vegetables, Leanne _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 08:13:04 -0500 (CDT) From: Kim Justice Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Negativeland Message-ID: On Wed, 27 May 1998, Leanne Fraser wrote: > I'm just curious, What exactly is Negativeland? http://www.negativland.com kj -- justicek@edge.net (Kim Justice) http://edge.edge.net/~justicek "...and I think that I know myself a bit too well..." ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980527132217.25789.rocketmail@send1e.yahoomail.com> Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 06:22:17 -0700 (PDT) From: Leanne Fraser Subject: TMBG: Non They Related(films) Has anyone on the list seen Dead Man? It's a B & W comedy type thing with Johnny Depp. If you haven't I strongly reccomend it. I just though i would throw that in since we seem to have a film theme goin' on. P,L & V Leanne _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980527133046.944.rocketmail@send1d.yahoomail.com> Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 06:30:46 -0700 (PDT) From: Leanne Fraser Subject: Re: Very Very NON TMBG:The TRUMAN Show ---Dr Worm X wrote: > > you didn't like the cable guy? I didn't like it the first time, but after a > few times watching it on HBO, I started liking it more and more. __This seems to be the general consensus, maybe I should watch it again. P,L, & V Leanne _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9805271405.AA06400@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Leffel Update Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 10:05:28 -0400 (EDT) > > Somewhere in the vicinity of Hampton, VA...... > > Wrong Mike Leffel. THE mike leffel lives in Nebraska. Wasn't it Kansas? I suppose he could have moved to VA although I don't know how far he could get without the tailbone. Perhaps he has recovered completely? -Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19980527100144.007de870@email.psu.edu> Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 10:01:44 -0400 From: "J. L. Moquin" Subject: Re: Very Very NON TMBG:The TRUMAN Show rachel wrote: [snip -- re: Fear and Loathing] >sequence. i heard that it was even toned down from the book version (which >i will be reading shortly), has anyone read it yet? Aw, man, you have to read it. It's an experience. Trust me. Go read it right now. I want your book report on my desk first thing Monday morning. ;) -jennifer, mommy to alice the bean, 8/15/97 http://www.emprl.psu.edu/~anth/ mailto:jls5@psu.edu "Death is useless. Useless is a spork. Therefore, death is a spork" -- Anthony Moquin ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 10:09:23 -0400 Subject: Re: NON TMBG:Talking Heads Message-ID: <19980527.101230.3222.2.gray42@juno.com> On Wed, 27 May 98 01:13 EDT kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) writes: > Isn't that "Once In a Lifetime"? At least, that one goes >"same as >it ever was/ same as it ever was/ same as it ever was..." and it also >goes >"And you may ask yourself/ where does that highway go to?" which is >one of >my favorite lines ever. I do so love the Talking Heads. :) Has anyone seen the SNL skit that mocks this particular song and the fact that the main singer wears a big suit, it's from the old days, and I have it on a taped SNL anniversary special from back in 1990, that skit had been my favorite long before I even knew who the Talking Heads were Mysterio Gal (fellow Subgenius & Happy Mutant) " If there were no doorknobs nobody would be abel to open the doors. Everybody would die" --Claire (age 6) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 >Kirsten >(very sleepy from driving an hour to see "Fear and Loathing In Las >Vegas." >I think it was worth it. :)) >-- >`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`' >"I have a great imaginary world, but, um, sometimes I need things to >happen for real." - Ally McBeal >Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu > _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 10:03:24 -0400 Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Naked Lunch Message-ID: <19980527.101230.3222.1.gray42@juno.com> On Wed, 27 May 1998 00:04:17 -0500 "The Li'l Depressed Boy" writes: > >>> AND, am I the only one who see's Brazil as an Art Film, or is >everyone just >>> insane. (or maybe Inane) >> >>You bet it is an art film! >> >Good someone was trying to tell me that it was a comedy. to once again go in a totally different direction w/ the coversation: I think its funny that Vidio giants has the movie Atomic Cafe under comedy, when I thought it was really rather scary. Mysterio Gal (who also succeeded in having her sig. longer than her post) " If there were no doorknobs nobody would be abel to open the doors. Everybody would die" --Claire (age 6) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 > >Hey I like my sig to be longer than my post, >LDB >-- >(this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) >My Web Page Index: >http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ >TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font >-- >Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and >Kris W. >M. Struble. >The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related >characters (C) >& TM 1998 S. Steven Struble > > _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 09:54:58 -0400 Subject: Re: NON TMBG:Fear and Loathing Message-ID: <19980527.101229.3222.0.gray42@juno.com> Ah Yes, Fear and Loathing, this weekend I was meant to see it w/ Jared (remember the silverware, and movie guy *hyuk*), well by the time we got to the theatre, about midnight, we discovered the last showing was on at 10:P.M. but I have been hearing great stuff about it, I loved Johnny Depp in Edward Scissor Hands and Ed Wood, and Brazil is also so,mething I watched whilst in a seriously delerious and depressed (because I was delerious) state of mind which caused my brain to screw up even more tho' also putting me in a manic mood (I learned to enjoy my delerium) and was severely dizzy, that movie blew me away, sadly when my sister moved she took it w/ her, along w/ Swingkids and Watership Down, and The Wilsaphone Stupid Show, and much more. And I just had a crazy half dream half nightmare that can be described as something like Brazil or 12 Monkeys (another damn good movie) Did anyone see the French Movie about The Lost Children, or Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, two more demented movies I was recently exposed to. Mysterio Gal (who is home from school and therefore delerious, and wishing she had The wilsaphone stupid Show to listen to and A few Hothead Paisons Homicidal Lesbian Terrorist commics to read) " If there were no doorknobs nobody would be abel to open the doors. Everybody would die" --Claire (age 6) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: BrthrJuan Message-ID: Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 11:15:03 EDT Subject: TMBG: Moxy Fruvous ok, i first heard one of their songs as an Mp3 on a friends computer a while ago. i did not like it really at all. i kept hearing all this talk on this list about how cool they are, and thought maybe i just got a bum song. yesterday i was at cd world and found Bargainville used for $1.99. i figured...alright, may as well get it to try it out. if it is awful, it was only $2 so who cares. man oh man....i was so wrong about these guys. i love this album. how many more do they have? just wondering. i think i may want to get some more. aaron ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980527111919.006ae000@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 11:19:19 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Moxy Fruvous They have 2 more albums that have been released in the US - Live Noise (the live album) and You Will Go To The Moon. Both are well worth your money. Ther are also 2 more CDs that have been released in Canada, but not in the US - Wood and the B Album. I'd recommend NOT ordering them directly from the band. I sent out a money order in March and still haven't gotten the CDs in, and someone else on the list told me he had been waiting since January. -Adam At 11:15 AM 5/27/98 EDT, BrthrJuan wrote: >ok, i first heard one of their songs as an Mp3 on a friends computer a while >ago. i did not like it really at all. i kept hearing all this talk on this >list about how cool they are, and thought maybe i just got a bum song. >yesterday i was at cd world and found Bargainville used for $1.99. i >figured...alright, may as well get it to try it out. if it is awful, it was >only $2 so who cares. man oh man....i was so wrong about these guys. i love >this album. how many more do they have? just wondering. i think i may want >to get some more. > >aaron > > http://www.he-man.org/ctyner http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980527083851.006a3d14@pop.ben2.ucla.edu> Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 08:38:51 -0700 From: J Chen Subject: TMBG: MonoPuff.Org Hmm, Is Alex Gershon on the list? I noticed that the back of IFTS prints the address of www.monopuff.org. Well, so does that mean MonoPuff.Org is the official MonoPuff website now? Alex, when did this happen? They also list Bar-None's website, but no mention of MonoPuff nor TMBG there as far as I can tell. (Cursory evaluation of IFTS so far: wow, MonoPuff gets more personality. Mostly very '70's'ish groovy, soulful stuff (with lotsa sampling), but still a good mix of songs. Imaginary Friend is pretty cool, but don't really like Hillbilly Drummer Girl.) --LVJeff ==========================_______________________________________... . . . | from LVJeff | Kerim Bey: "But I am already in your debt." | friend to Lan's tigers | James Bond: "How can a friend be in debt?" | alecson@ucla.edu | ========================== - From Russia with Love ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 10:39:44 -0500 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Moxy Fruvous Message-id: <356C33C0.9F4A9A10@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> BrthrJuan wrote: > > ok, i first heard one of their songs as an Mp3 on a friends computer a while > ago. i did not like it really at all. i kept hearing all this talk on this > list about how cool they are, and thought maybe i just got a bum song. > yesterday i was at cd world and found Bargainville used for $1.99. i > figured...alright, may as well get it to try it out. if it is awful, it was > only $2 so who cares. man oh man....i was so wrong about these guys. i love > this album. how many more do they have? just wondering. i think i may want > to get some more. They have five CDs. Four of them are actually albums and one is an EP. You have Bargainville which is their first album. After that came Wood, which was only released in Canada originally, but should be out on Bottom Line Records sometime this summer. The same can be said of "b" which is the EP that came out a little after Wood. "b" is a collection of satirical bits and oddities which you'll love if you like the upbeat comedic parts of Moxy Fruvous. Wood is more introspective and musically deep. You Will Go To The Moon is their last studio album. It came out last year about this time. It is a mix between Wood and Bargainville. It is still musically deep, but works in a wider range of music than Wood, which carries a darkness throughout it. Finally, Live Noise was released just last week. It's a Live album recorded at six shows from the fall tour (all of which I had the privelege of seeing and all of which were fantastic) plus some bits from some fan recordings. This is the disc I'd recommend to anyone first and foremost because it captures some of the energy of Fruvous playing live. You don't know Moxy Fruvous until you've seen them live. Let me say that again. Fruvous live makes all other concerts I've been to pale in comparison. Check out www.fruvous.com if you want more Fruvous information (or if just wanna see what a music website that has it all looks like - it's well laid out and contains set lists and reviews for almost every single Fruvous show plus article from magizines, papers, etc. You name it, it is on FDC. Plus it is updated almost daily. What a novel idea!). Long diatribe, short meaning. Moxy Fruvous is incredible. And, as a bonus for people who read this far in this post, an offer to dub a Fruvous show that I have for the first 5 people that reply to me asking about it. - Chad "AFTAB? I guess that means kickin' Father O in the butt now" Maloney ------------------------------ From: polk@oursquare.com Message-Id: <199805271555.LAA16381@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: Non-TMBG: Fear and Loathing Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 11:55:07 -0400 Couldn't resist de-lurking to join the banter over Fear and Loathing. In response to the original poster's question, the movie is not at all "toned-down" from the original; it's _verbatim_ from the book nearly all the way through. Some bits are cut and what's left is rearranged a little in places, but as Gilliam said in one article I read, every word in that movie is "in the book somewhere." I enjoyed the film overall, esp. Johnny Depp's insanely great portrayal of Hunter S. Thompson. The main criticism I've heard and agree with somewhat is that like Naked Lunch, Fear and Loathing is a fascinating book that doesn't lend itself well to being a movie because no matter how you slice it, there's no engrossing plot. Gilliam had to do a little reconstructive surgery to get any sort of an ending out of it, for example; the original just sort of stops. Alongside the structural challenges of the source, Benicio Del Toro is the movie's other liability. The attorney character in the book may be a frightening drug freak, but he's also extremely intelligent and _intense_. Del Toro for the most part portrays him as sort of a perpetually freaked-out fat slob. Still, the visuals are the joyously deranged stuff we've come to expect from Gilliam, with lounge lizards morphing into real lizards, odd camera angles, Alice-in-Wonderland flashbacks, etc. It's worth seeing for this and for Depp, and will allow a generation of college students to plausibly avoid reading the thing if they're lazy (and don't know what's good for 'em). -Neal "Headcrack Jack" Shankman polk@oursquare.com p.s. Sorry if this is terribly late for the conversation or if it's repetetive in that context. I am a digest-er, pity me... p.p.s. Brazil: Incredible film if you've the patience for it. I wish he/they had left the fantasy sequence all together, instead of scattering bits of it all through. IMHO, it breaks the narrative horribly as it is... ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 08:57:54 -0700 (PDT) From: "J. Brown" Subject: Re: TMBG: MonoPuff.Org Message-ID: On Wed, 27 May 1998, J Chen wrote: > (Cursory evaluation of IFTS so far: wow, MonoPuff gets more > personality. Mostly very '70's'ish groovy, soulful stuff (with lotsa > sampling), but still a good mix of songs. Imaginary Friend is pretty cool, > but don't really like Hillbilly Drummer Girl.) You don't Like Hillbilly Drummer Girl!! well curses on you! May Scott McCaughey come to your house and serenade you! Just Kidding- I like Mono Puff's Hillbilly Drummer girl enough but it does not compare the Young Fresh Fellow original. any YFF fans out there? jason ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980527120301.006b4448@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 12:03:01 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: MonoPuff.Org At 08:38 AM 5/27/98 -0700, J Chen wrote: >Hmm, > > Is Alex Gershon on the list? I noticed that the back of IFTS prints >the address of www.monopuff.org. Well, so does that mean MonoPuff.Org is >the official MonoPuff website now? Alex, when did this happen? On the Tongue-Zine interview a few months ago, Flansie said that monopuff.org was the official site. That's the first I had heard of its official status. > They also list Bar-None's website, but no mention of MonoPuff nor TMBG >there as far as I can tell. It hasn't been updated in a long time. > (Cursory evaluation of IFTS so far: wow, MonoPuff gets more >personality. Mostly very '70's'ish groovy, soulful stuff (with lotsa >sampling), but still a good mix of songs. Imaginary Friend is pretty cool, >but don't really like Hillbilly Drummer Girl.) I agree about Mono Puff developing a sound, although I personally like Hillbilly Drummer Girl... I don't think it's as good as the Young Fresh Fellows original though. -Adam http://www.he-man.org/ctyner http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 10:22:24 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: NON-TMBG: the leffel uncertainty principle in action... Message-ID: On Wed, 27 May 1998, Matthew James wrote: > > > Somewhere in the vicinity of Hampton, VA...... > > > > Wrong Mike Leffel. THE mike leffel lives in Nebraska. > > Wasn't it Kansas? I suppose he could have moved to VA although I don't > know how far he could get without the tailbone. Perhaps he has > recovered completely? nope. it's nebraska. if you want to write him a letter i can give you his address. --jim kuemmerle, who notes that you can never determine mike leffel's position *and* velocity at the same time... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980527164729.3116.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Matthew Bartush" Subject: NON-TMBG: Negativland Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 09:47:29 PDT >I listened to The Wilsaphone Stupid Show while sick w/ delerium, and >ended up going totally out of my mind, which leads me to ask this uneeded >question, am I the only person on this list who is a fan of San >Francisco's Radio Show, Negativeland? BTW- I may be mistaken about the >radio thing because I live in South Florida, and also, to those who know, >I'd say my favorite character is of course, The Weatherman :) Alright, I've been lurking on the digest list for a while now, and although the movie discussion has almost brought me out of my shell, Negativland is the final straw.....I have been a fan of theirs for many years now. I've never had the opportunity to listen to their radio show, but I have many of their studio albums and a few of their "Over the Edge" (their radio show) recordings. I've actually never heard the Wilsaphone Stupid Show, but then there are many OTE recordings that I've not heard. These guys (from Concord, CA, incidentally, not SF) are masters of satire, noise, collage, and "commenting" on the state of mass media and its effect on our minds. >ah, yes! the weatherman! What can you say about the Weatherman that he hasn't said already? > >i too am a fan of negativland -- (although, the willsaphone stupid show is >the only negativland i've yet had the opportunity to hear). last I would highly recommend dropping what you're doing now, going to the nearest record store and buying "Escape From Noise". Other recommendations: "Free" and "Dispepsi" If anyone would like to continue a Negativland discussion off of the TMBG list, just drop me a line. Matt ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 13:25:37 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Mysterio Gal explanation Message-ID: <19980527.132546.3238.0.gray42@juno.com> This is the address that explains Mysterio Gal, Mysterio Land and all that jazz: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871/mysterio.html read it, veiw it, give more me more questions to answer, or suggestions, on how to further develop this, I will be adding more pics in the future, either by PC drawing or scanning, of all the characters I listed, if there be any reason I shouldn't please tell me. Thanx for your time Mysterio Gal (fellow Subgenius & Happy Mutant) " If there were no doorknobs nobody would be abel to open the doors. Everybody would die" --Claire (age 6) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 10:50:47 -0700 (PDT) From: Alon Yaari Subject: Re: TMBG: Excessive shite on list Message-ID: On Wed, 27 May 1998, Easy Friend wrote: >Well, > > I didn;t read the last list. But the main reason was coz I looked at all >the subjects and found that most of them were NON TMBG and the TMBG ones >didn;t interest me. Well, that was fair enough. I didn't have to spend >much time wading through it all. But I was wondering why (if my maths is >correct) you would have only 12 TMBG messages out of 39 on a TMBG list!!! >Seems a tad odd to me and a little excessive. I'm not going to ask people >to cut the shit coz people say what they want on these mailing lists... I >just want people to consider their input to the list before they post. Sue >me. The reason it's tolerable to have non-TMBG discussions on the list is that a newsgroup like this one is not a TMBG-only place for TMBG comments, but rather a forum for people who enjoy TMBG to get together. Topics can stray away from TMBG because in general, people who like TMBG will find other things in common too. It's enough for me to know that when I place a comment on this list, it's to other people who also like the group, regardless of what the content of my comment is. -Yar ------------------------------ Subject: Re: SemiTMBG:Who's married to who? Message-ID: <19980526.140328.4695.5.winningh@juno.com> From: winningh@juno.com (Winningham S. Sarah) Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 14:03:50 EDT On Tue, 26 May 1998 19:12:55 EDT KdsInThHal writes: >Ferris Bueler (hey! speaking of...) is on HBO right now, and it just >occured >to me, from what I remember Karen (Mrs. Linnell) looking like, she >kinda looks >a little like Sloan, Ferris' girlfriend. >(well from what I remember anyways.. at least she did then..) Waitaminnit?! Mrs. Linnell looks like Mia Sara? Although that would make her very lovely that would also make her a brunette and I thought that the only three things I knew about her were that her name is Karen, she likes Spain, and she's blonde. Also I don't understand the confusion over art films and comedies. In the first place the categories are not mutually exclusive, in the second place categories are silly, and in the third place Brazil and the other films mentioned defy categorization in the same magical manner as our patron Johns. I'm glad to see that Mysterio Gal is becoming sucked into these wonderful movies that may save her from the evil that is Jim Carrey and I wonder when somebody was going to mention Bladerunner. Would Jim, the patron saint of fruit flies please send me Leffell's address (he gets 2 l's because he is near to godhood and thus deserves Linnellian spelling) Sarah "When Cameron was in Egypt land; let my Cameron goooo" Winningham _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 14:44:15 EDT Subject: Re: Re: TMBG: Excessive shite on list In a message dated 5/27/98 1:52:12 PM, ayaari@usc.edu wrote: >The reason it's tolerable to have non-TMBG discussions on the list is that >a newsgroup like this one is not a TMBG-only place for TMBG comments, but >rather a forum for people who enjoy TMBG to get together. Topics can stray >away from TMBG because in general, people who like TMBG will find other >things in common too. It's enough for me to know that when I place a >comment on this list, it's to other people who also like the group, >regardless of what the content of my comment is. I agree.:) I don't believe I ever got the original "Excessive shite on list" post, but i agree with the reply above. I'm not here just to talk about TMBG and nothing else. I find that people on this list are some of the most interesting and fun people I know. :) And we do have some of the same interests in this really freaky way. So we have a lot to discuss. I do contribute to off-topic posts, and I don't see anything wrong with that. Face it, what are TMBG doing right now? Their tour has ended, the album won't be out for a few more months yet.. all we have to talk about is the new Mono Puff album. And I guess that could be interpreted as off-topic, but it really isn't. Without these off-topic posts, the list would be like a few others I'm on (namely, Sonic Youth, NewsRadio, Laura Love) ...1 new post every week, if we're that lucky. I think the worst kind of threads are forced ones. Take the newsgroup for example. "we're off topic, let's start a new thread! what's your favourite song?" I find those worse than off-topic posts. Discussion shouldn't be forced, it should be something you want to talk about. Don't get me wrong, if you want to discuss your favourite song, I'm not stopping you! That's fine!! Go ahead! But the thread shouldn't just be there because everything else is off topic. It's just a sad apathetic thread. Some topics, I could care less about. Most of the new threads. I read a few, if it doesn't interest me, I just delete the replies in my mail box. very simple. "Non-TMBG" is very helpful. If you don't want any non-TMBG related messages, you can control that yourself by deleting those messages in your inbox. Or if you're on digest, by scrolling really fast. It takes 2 seconds either way. If neither of these apply to you, then maybe the list just isn't for you. I'm not supporting, say, the Jim Carrey or Naked Lunch threads, so I just delete them. It's *so* easy to do! I'm not complaing about it, I see nothing wrong with those discussions, it's just not something that I'm interested in. Just as I don't read all the messages on the newsgroup because not all of them interest me. No one's forcing you to read ANYthing. that's just my 3 cents. *sigh* sarah ~ linnellgirl@tmbg.org ~ http://lava.home.ml.org "Oh, I'm on my soapbox again!" -- Andy Richter ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <15d94f5a.356c63f9@aol.com> Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 15:05:28 EDT Subject: Re: Re: SemiTMBG:Who's married to who? >Waitaminnit?! Mrs. Linnell looks like Mia Sara? Although that would make >her very lovely that would also make her a brunette and I thought that >the only three things I knew about her were that her name is Karen, she >likes Spain, and she's blonde. she could very well be blonde now. Back around the time Linnell got married, the general knowledge was that Robin had curly blond hair, and Karen had straight brown hair. And given the fact that Robin is in the photos of the new Mono Puff cd's liner notes (unless that's Lady Puff..) she's changed *her* hair since then.. sarah ------------------------------ From: "Drunken Bird" Organization: Columbus State Univ.,Columbus, Ga. Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 15:57:42 EST Subject: TMBG: Is it Naked Jim eating Lunch? Message-ID: <141216C325A@colstate.edu> Excuse my dumbness (my teacher gave me a note), but do we know for sure which Jim They were talking about? I have always assumed it was Jim Morrison. I only questioned that today, when I ran into another Morrison. As far as the Naked Lunch goes, I am VERY proud that it hit the list, although not in the fashion I preferred. When I first watch the movie, I was genuinely happy to have ran into it by sheer chance. A friend made reference years ago, babbling about the typewriter, and other such "oddities", but if only he understand the meaning of the movie, not just it's simple weirldness. Hey, we just were kids, and when I actually saw the movie, I told that silly TMBG Head that he was quite off base, and I explained to him what it easily could mean. I'm sure he would of known too if it wasn't for the early age he saw it (about 15 or 16). I just wish I had somebody that I could have discussed it with at the time. I know there was alot of meaning I missed only watching it once. I think I just might hunt down a copy of that movie tonight, although I only saw it once, it is easily one of my favorite movies, right along with "Project Orange" and other seemly artist movies that some people disregard as "drug endured silliness." Ah. if only they can see the art and depth involved.. Much like the masses missing the meaning in They.. only half the fun.. That's may rant today.. more later. - Drunken "See the way the bug reacts to you in the same way I do?" Bird bugs.. yummy:) DrunkenBird@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980527203155.22652.rocketmail@send1e.yahoomail.com> Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 13:31:55 -0700 (PDT) From: Amanda Nichols Subject: Re: TMBG: MonoPuff.Org Answers to your questions: > > Is Alex Gershon on the list? Yes, but only contributes occasionally, as I do. > I noticed that the back of IFTS prints > the address of www.monopuff.org. Well, so does that mean MonoPuff.Org is > the official MonoPuff website now? Pretty much, yup. The "official" page that was done was the Ryko one, which now, of course, cannot be. > Alex, when did this happen? Ask the Master for details. :) > They also list Bar-None's website, but no mention of MonoPuff nor TMBG > there as far as I can tell. Umm.. that's just the label putting its shameless plug in. > but don't really like Hillbilly Drummer Girl.) HDG is a cover. Maybe that's why. Amanda == "Did he say 'disco lemonade?'"- The Debate Continues over "Sex and Candy" America's First Commercial College Radio Station WECB 99.9 FM/640 AM Business Line: (617) 824-8850 _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 15:25:25 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: hey! who's that playing? Message-ID: On Wed, 27 May 1998, Drunken Bird wrote: > Excuse my dumbness (my teacher gave me a note), but do we know for sure > which Jim They were talking about? it was, in fact, me. > I have always assumed it was Jim Morrison. I only questioned that today, > when I ran into another Morrison. seriously, if you were to ask me "is it jim", i would have to say "i don't know" followed shortly by "but that's a really good question!"... i like the jim morrison theory (which would mean, now that i think about it, that they were *really* making reference to robbie krieger)... the only *guitarists* named jim that i know of (off the top of my head, mind you,) are jimi hendrix, jim hall (a wonderful jazz guitarist and the reason gary larson doesn't draw comic strips anymore; he did a beautiful series of collaborations with the #1 seed in my musical pantheon, bill evans,) and jimmy page (of led zeppelin). --jim kuemmerle, who doesn't know how to play the guitar... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <6e88b2b0.356c8865@aol.com> Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 17:40:51 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: hey! who's that playing? >> Excuse my dumbness (my teacher gave me a note), but do we know for sure >> which Jim They were talking about? *wow* you people have short memories! remember a short while back, TMBG's old drummer (JD Feinberg? I hope that's right) posted to the newsgroup about his web page? any of you visit it? right on it, he states that he in fact *is* The Jim referred to in The Guitar. sarah ------------------------------ From: filthyscarecrow@webtv.net Message-Id: <199805272242.PAA20668@mailtod-151.iap.bryant.webtv.net> Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 17:42:18 -0500 Subject: TMBG: chicken I have an interp for extra krispy (I apologize if this has already been sent to yous guys). This song is about a special kind of chicken. *You think you/we're leavin' you say goodbye you really mean it this time* This guy is really addicted to this xtra krispy chicken, but he has to leave so he tries to leave (and he really means it this time), but..... *then you start dreamin' just one more time you really mean it this time* as he starts to leave he starts thinkin' about that wonderful chicken. "I'll have some more, but just one more time." he says to himself. The rocking part is like the chicken saying "Okay, I'll you can eat some more, but don't have anymore" (only more sadistic like). TANKU! " But we were expressin' ourselves!" -Flansy OH NO POP IS DEAD "most cartoons aren't broadcast live; it's a terrible strain on the animator's wrist" ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 17:46:08 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: hey! who's that playing? Message-ID: On Wed, 27 May 1998 KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: > *wow* you people have short memories! > > remember a short while back, TMBG's old drummer (JD Feinberg? I hope > that's right) posted to the newsgroup about his web page? any of you > visit it? right on it, he states that he in fact *is* The Jim referred > to in The Guitar. i (for one) am not on the NG. do you still have the address lying around, sarah? --jim kuemmerle, who never throws anything away... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980527185728.0069d300@pop.indy.net> Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 18:57:28 -0400 From: rachel Subject: Re: NON TMBG: movies (aka excessive shite) mysterio gal wrote: Did anyone see the French Movie about The Lost >Children, er.. you mean "the city of lost children?" see also the magnificent "delicatessen" by the same director(s). speaking of which, i always classified deli as a comedy but saw it labeled as drama. screwy. > Without these off-topic posts, the list would be like a few others I'm on >(namely, Sonic Youth, NewsRadio, Laura Love) news radio mailing list!? who? what? where? lovies, rachel, who really needs more clutter in her mailbox ;) ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <1bee87dc.356caefe@aol.com> Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 20:25:32 EDT Subject: Re: Re: TMBG: hey! who's that playing? In a message dated 5/27/98 7:47:02 PM, J.Kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu wrote: >i (for one) am not on the NG. do you still have the address lying around, >sarah? yessido! http://www.panix.com/~jdf/discography/ :)sarah ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 18:47:04 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: Re: TMBG: hey! who's that playing? Message-ID: On Wed, 27 May 1998 KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: > >i (for one) am not on the NG. do you still have the address lying around, > >sarah? > > yessido! > > http://www.panix.com/~jdf/discography/ gracias! i just got back from the site, and i am mindbogglingly jealous. granted, i've never played trap set and hence wouldn't have been eligible for the same gig, not to mention the fact that i've never spent more than a few days in chicago... but still... > right on it, he states that he in fact *is* The Jim referred to in The > Guitar. actually, he states that J. Otto Seybold, also a drummer, is the Jim. --jim kuemmerle, who, uh... likes to play the drums and thinks he's getting good... that's it.... hire me, john... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu ------------------------------ From: XAnaNgx@aol.com Message-ID: <63f9b5e0.356cd126@aol.com> Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 22:51:17 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Non They Related(films) In a message dated 98-05-27 09:22:52 EDT, trianglewoman@yahoo.com writes: << Has anyone on the list seen Dead Man? It's a B & W comedy type thing with Johnny Depp. If you haven't I strongly reccomend it. I just though i would throw that in since we seem to have a film theme goin' on. P,L & V Leanne >> OH MY GOD... that has to be one of my favorite movies of all times. I hate to clogg up the list with stupid posts, but damn, I just had to acknowledge that. By the way, Leanne, if you liked Dead Man, you should also see "Mystery Train". Its by the same guy and Steve Buscemi is in it... and who doesn't love Steve, am i right? ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 23:33:57 -0500 (CDT) From: "Christopher M. Stangl" Subject: Re: NON TMBG:Fear and Loathing Message-ID: On Wed, 27 May 1998 gray42@juno.com wrote: > Did anyone see the French Movie about The Lost Children, From what I've seen, there's a REASON, "City of Lost Children" and "Delicatessen" are Jenuet's most famous movies... he's a talented but director who needs a little more refinement. I don't mean self-restraint (I'm putting him in the Mad Scientist Director category. Direct descendents of Georges Melies. Those guys who just throw everything in a pot, under boiling, anarchic heat, and hope for the cartoony, grotesque best- Tim Burton, Terry Gilliam, Joe Dante). I think the problems with "Alien: Resurrection" speak for themselves. > or Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me The rule of thumb with "Fire Walk" is: You can't just be a "Twin Peaks" fan... you must be a DAVID LYNCH fan... this is not a movie about the television show. This is a David Lynch Movie. -Chris Stangl ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 23:41:40 -0500 (CDT) From: "Christopher M. Stangl" Subject: Re: NON TMBG:Talking Heads Message-ID: On Wed, 27 May 1998 gray42@juno.com wrote: > Has anyone seen the SNL skit that mocks this particular song and the fact > that the main singer wears a big suit, it's from the old days, and I have > it on a taped SNL anniversary special from back in 1990, that skit had > been my favorite long before I even knew who the Talking Heads were That's Rich Hall in the "Saturday Night Live" skit. For my money, "Weird Al" Yankovic more economically sends-up Byrne in the video for the song "UHF" which slips in parodies of both David Byrne's Big Suit from "Stop Making Sense" and the T-Heads video for "Once in a Lifetime". -Chris Stangl, talking head. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19980527234808.006b12cc@beck0429.email.umn.edu> Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 23:48:08 -0700 From: Ted Beck Subject: TMBG: They Might Be Giants - The Movie With all the talk of movies, I think the time is right to ask if anyone has seen the George C. Scott film from which TMBG got their name? I have never been to a video store that had it or could get it on request. But I keep looking. I am sure someone has seen it, please fill me in. Thanks Ted Beck ------------------------------ From: Monotreme3@aol.com Message-ID: <96992a45.356ced3f@aol.com> Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 00:51:01 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Giants - The Movie In a message dated 5/28/98 12:49:07 AM Eastern Daylight Time, beck0429@tc.umn.edu writes: > With all the talk of movies, I think the time is right to ask if anyone has > seen the George C. Scott film from which TMBG got their name? I have never > been to a video store that had it or could get it on request. But I keep > looking. I am sure someone has seen it, please fill me in. Yeah. I've seen it. I've read of several other people on the list who have, too, although I don't remember who. Somewhere. When I saw it, the person who rented it got it from Blockbuster, I think. So it shouldn't be too hard to find. But you could try looking for little video stores that seem kind of independent. They might have a better selection of such films. -Carey ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <6ce2753.356cefd8@aol.com> Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 01:02:15 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Giants - The Movie In a message dated 5/27/98 12:49:21 AM, beck0429@tc.umn.edu wrote: >With all the talk of movies, I think the time is right to ask if anyone has >seen the George C. Scott film from which TMBG got their name? I have never >been to a video store that had it or could get it on request. But I keep >looking. I am sure someone has seen it, please fill me in. yup. I believe there was a thread about it on the newsgroup not-so-long ago. It is actually an amusing movie, I saw it on one of those channels up the dial last year. Plex? TNT? Who knows. Now howabout if TMBG made a movie about themselves? I don't think it'd work without Dan Akroyd as Flans... sarah http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #6-28 *****************************