Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #6-4 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 6, Number 4 Monday, 4 May 1998 Today's Topics: NON-TMBG: nothing of interest to anyone Re: NON-TMBG: nothing of interest to anyone Re: TMBG: Graham's on SNL! TMBG: TMBG-John Henry Question. TMBG: John Henry Question. TMBG: Make History semiTMBG: they & dragonball Re: TMBG: Graham's on SNL! Re: TMBG: John Henry Question. TMBG: Re: i miss graham TMBG: i forgot something sorta-TMBG: Soul Coughing TMBG: Re: i miss graham Re: TMBG: Graham on SNL + JH Question Re: TMBG: John Henry Question. Re: TMBG: Graham on SNL + JH Question TMBG: FINALLY: my Linnell interview, online! +Visual Discography. Re: TMBG: i miss graham! Re: TMBG: i miss graham! NONTMBG: Tenacious D: The Greatest Band In The Universe Re: TMBG: Token to Brooklyn... Re: TMBG: Token to Brooklyn... Re: TMBG: FINALLY: my Linnell interview, online! +Visual Discography. NON TMBG: Re: Re: TMBG: Graham on SNL + JH Question Re: TMBG: FINALLY: my Linnell interview, online! +Visual Discography. Re: TMBG: Tenacious D TMBG: MP3's TMBG: latest results TMBG: Hurry your votes Re: TMBG: Hurry your votes Re: sorta-TMBG: Soul Coughing Re: sorta-TMBG: Soul Coughing TMBG: 5/1 pics up! TMBG: Forsaken by Flansburg TMBG: tmbg on the radio...THREE in a row! top that! Re: TMBG: Forsaken by Flansburg Too *COOL* RE: Non-TMBG: Faye Wong Re: TMBG: tmbg on the radio...THREE in a row! top that! Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: TerryTMBG Message-ID: <8165a49d.354c1830@aol.com> Date: Sun, 3 May 1998 03:09:35 EDT Subject: NON-TMBG: nothing of interest to anyone >Yesterday, I was down in Canton, MA & they probably have the worst grammar. A >Road sign read the following: "Go Children Slow." And then a poster in their >school system said "People Gay Exist." I think that city has some problems... > >Also, down in Canton, I saw a person in a record store wearing a TMBG-shirt, >so I went up to him & told him that TMBG rock! (A kid later came up to me & >told me NIN rock, because I was wearing a NIN shirt....weird coincidence)... Math team New Englands ... I can smell it on your breath. (I was there too.) Actually, I was at Academic Decathlon nationals a week ago, and that was incredible, but when I went to the New Englands for math team I met like five people who commented on my TMBG shirt. All positive. In fact, I saw one person wearing a TMBG shirt of his own in Pizza Hut and I tapped him on the back, showed him my shirt and said, "Ohhh yeah." I was hoping to God that person is a listie, because I bet now he's walking around telling his friends about this psycho TMBG fan he met. NOTE: I am not a psycho. -Terry- ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: <8471cc29.354c19df@aol.com> Date: Sun, 3 May 1998 03:16:46 EDT Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: nothing of interest to anyone In a message dated 5/3/98 3:10:43 AM, TerryTMBG@aol.com wrote: >In fact, I saw one >person wearing a TMBG shirt of his own in Pizza Hut and I tapped him on the >back, showed him my shirt and said, "Ohhh yeah." I was hoping to God that >person is a listie, because I bet now he's walking around telling his friends >about this psycho TMBG fan he met. >NOTE: I am not a psycho. LOL, I did almost the same thing last year.. I saw this girl going down the stairs ahead of me at school after homeroom one day, wearing the TMBG Hats shirt, and I believe I had my coffee cup shirt on, and I ran up to her (hey, rare They sightings make ya do dumb things) and was like "love your shirt!" and she was like.. "uhh yeah.." :P I felt like an ass. :) Why do most of the TMBG fans we meet in real life, just not seem to have their heart in it? ;D sarah ~ linnellgirl@tmbg.org ~ http://lava.home.ml.org now listening to Superchunk's "Indoor Living" now reading: http://economy31.infoboard.net/thesmoke/archive/bolton1.html ------------------------------ From: Cajun Gram Message-ID: <986ca377.354c2207@aol.com> Date: Sun, 3 May 1998 03:51:34 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Graham's on SNL! In a message dated 98-05-03 00:21:49 EDT, you write: << Graham's on SNL right now! /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 >> I would like to take this opportunity to say that I am not on SNL tonight, I am at home, lurking on the list and eating cookies... Graham "Not that Graham" Amsden ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: TMBG-John Henry Question. Message-ID: <19980503.004940.7983.0.dayomont@juno.com> From: dayomont@juno.com (Matte Black) Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 03:52:28 EDT I was just at the local Fred Meyer (for those not in the West US, it is basically a clothes store and grocery store mixed) (another side-note, I work there and so I get 10% of all non-food items...that includes all the CDs I can afford.) and I was looking through the CDs they can order. I noticed that there were two versions of John Henry. One was on the usual Elektra label but the other was released by Warner (I think). The Elektra one costs $14 or so and the other one is $33. So my question is: Can anyone tell me the difference between the two or do I need to order the expensive version just to find out what it is? Not that anyone cares, but I also saw that an expensive version of Megadeth's album Cryptic Writings was available. Confused. Matte Black * ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199805030815.EAA10129@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 03:17:05 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: TMBG: John Henry Question. >noticed that there were two versions of John Henry. One was on the usual >Elektra label but the other was released by Warner (I think). The >Elektra one costs $14 or so and the other one is $33. >So my question is: Can anyone tell me the difference between the two or >do I need to order the expensive version just to find out what it is? I know there was a version of JH that came packaged with 5 or 6 songs from the Live in New York bootleg. That might be what you found. If not, it's probably a conspiracy of some kind. Harf, Mitch "The dumber people think you are, the more surprised they're going to be when you kill them." Support the Harf Project: All your questions answered, all your problems solved: ------------------------------ Message-ID: <354C39C6.8152920A@pacificnet.net> Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 01:32:59 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Make History Initially I thought this "Most Beautiful People Poll" thing was a waste of time but its true Linnell is up there at 9. I just voted. For those of you who haven't voted, it only takes a second. Go to: http://pathfinder.com/people/50most/1998/vote/index.html (Remember its spelled: Linnell) For those of you urging others to vote, try to make it easy for them by putting the url in your post. Just imagine when the final results are announced some of the newspaper entertainment sections, morning drive DJ's, late night talk hosts etc, will be mentioning the results. Soon TMBG will rule the universe. -B O N G O _________________________________ "I dance like my feet are my tongue when I eat" -Geggy Tah ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 3 May 1998 03:03:39 -0700 (PDT) From: Shion Subject: semiTMBG: they & dragonball Message-ID: evenin'. while wandering around looking for mpeg videos i found one which might be of interest to some of you people: it's kind of a music video using clips from the anime dragonball.. set to 'particle man'. it's ok, interesting, sort of humorous, and reaffirms the notion that They may one day infest every part of everything. but in a good way. the url is http://songohan.simplenet.com/movies.html from there, scroll down to the music video section. for reals, jkwhite ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980503101335.006a176c@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 10:13:35 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Graham's on SNL! At 01:20 AM 5/3/98 -0400, gray42@juno.com wrote: >ok, I read this message right after watching SNL, and I payed no >attention whatsoever to the names of people other than Mathew Broderick, >so please, someone tell me where in the show he was, and what he looks >like, cause I'm good at remembering names and faces but not good at >putting them together. And my memorie's especially bad right now because Graham was the one playing bass while Natalie Merchant was on. -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980503101716.006a6f44@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 10:17:16 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: John Henry Question. At 03:17 AM 5/3/98 -0500, Mitchell Harding wrote: > >I know there was a version of JH that came packaged with 5 or 6 songs from >the Live in New York bootleg. That might be what you found. If not, it's >probably a conspiracy of some kind. That's definitely what the other JH was. BTW, Live!! NYC is a live promo CD...not a bootleg. It was sanctioned by the band and Elektra. -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: Superman25 Message-ID: Date: Sun, 3 May 1998 11:41:21 EDT Subject: TMBG: Re: i miss graham hi. i forgot to tape SNL. did graham do any vocals or does miss merchant take the spotlight? >oh yeah, one more thing... to all that attended last night's show... did >flans seem at all upset (or jealous) when linny told everyone to vote for >him? if anyone going to the last two shows of this mini-tour happen to >talk to anyone in the band let them know that we're voting flansy next >year...and that they should start promoting it now :) when they mentioned it on friday's show (in fact, i believe that flans brought it up), they were both talking in a mocking tone the poll. i really doubt that they care. they're probably happy about the press it might get if linnell scores high. adam schaaf, who still jonesing about seeing Blade Runner in the theater last night. ------------------------------ From: Superman25 Message-ID: <315baa1.354c91ce@aol.com> Date: Sun, 3 May 1998 11:48:29 EDT Subject: TMBG: i forgot something hi. a week or so ago someone posted the full lyrics to Dr. Worm. i never remembered to print it out and my mail server has long since deleted it. could the person who posted it please send the lyrics my way? i would be more than greatly humbled to you. adam schaaf, who's not a real doctor, but let's not tell the AMA that. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 3 May 1998 11:50:29 -0500 (CDT) From: John Shaft Subject: sorta-TMBG: Soul Coughing Message-ID: I saw Soul Coughing at Day on the Hill at Kansas University yesterday, THEY WERE GREAT. I didn't py too much attention to the opening acts except for (let's see if I spell this right) Los Amigos Invisibles. The were great also, kinda like a Spanish (Venezuelan) Jamiroquai, except with more funk and feeling. But, as for Soul Coughing, they rally rocked the house, er, I mean, hill. I guess they relate to TMBG in that TMBG played last year and both groups got really pissed when kids in the audience were crowdsurfing and moshing, and Flans yelled at everyone when someone threw a shoe on stage. I guess all I really have to say is if you see people crowdsurfing or if you see moshing at shows, kick the people in the nuts. I can possibly see the utility of moshing at a Pantera or Metallica show, but TMBG? Soul Coughing? What's next, moshing at Tori Amos? There's my rant, do what you will. scott ----- Sometimes I think to myself, Scott, you're a handsome, intelligent, charming individual people like to be around. Then I usually think to myself, Scott, you're wicked drunk. ----- ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 3 May 1998 10:51:29 -0600 Subject: TMBG: Re: i miss graham Message-ID: <19980503.105134.12110.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) >i forgot to tape SNL. did graham do any vocals >or does miss merchant take the spotlight? nope... it was natalie all the way... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ::::2,470 Max Points Strong::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Sun, 3 May 1998 12:48:04 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Graham on SNL + JH Question Message-ID: <19980503.124921.8622.0.Mr.Train@juno.com> I gotta admit, it was really cool seeing Graham on SNL, I think that's as close to getting TMBG on the show as we'll ever get... I also have to add that Tenacious D SUCKED! I cannot believe anyone would put those guys on TV... They were like Ween except fatter and sang in lower voices... they totally sucked! I don't mean to get on a rant here but... THEY REALLY BLEW!! What does everyone else think? John Henry (expensive ver.): I bought the Australian JH import from CD now when you got $10 off for ordering by clicking the link on TMBG.org. I got it because I yearn for Live in NY! but I know I will never get it... plus, I am obsessive and have to have evrything They put out... The live tracks incl. on the bonus disc are: Don't Lets Start Ana Ng ("The sound of the drums... I HEAR THE DRUMS") Particle Man Statue Birdhouse and my fave ver. of Twistin' EVER ("Thanks for comin' to our gig") There ya go... Tim, reprehensible Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: Last CD purchase: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199805031721.NAA18433@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 12:22:59 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: John Henry Question. At 10:17 AM 5/3/98 -0400, you wrote: >At 03:17 AM 5/3/98 -0500, Mitchell Harding wrote: >> >>I know there was a version of JH that came packaged with 5 or 6 songs from >>the Live in New York bootleg. That might be what you found. If not, it's >>probably a conspiracy of some kind. > >That's definitely what the other JH was. BTW, Live!! NYC is a live promo >CD...not a bootleg. It was sanctioned by the band and Elektra. Yeah, but I call almost any live recording a bootleg. If it was good enough for our forefathers, it's good enough for us, dammit! Rest a while, Mitch "The dumber people think you are, the more surprised they're going to be when you kill them." Support the Harf Project: All your questions answered, all your problems solved: ------------------------------ Message-ID: <354CC4FE.26E7@indy.net> Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 12:26:54 -0700 From: Rachel Subject: Re: TMBG: Graham on SNL + JH Question mr.train@juno.com wrote: > > I gotta admit, it was really cool seeing Graham on SNL, I think that's as > close to getting TMBG on the show as we'll ever get... > I also have to add that Tenacious D SUCKED! I cannot believe anyone would > put those guys on TV... They were like Ween except fatter and sang in > lower voices... they totally sucked! > I don't mean to get on a rant here but... THEY REALLY BLEW!! > What does everyone else think? > hmmmm, i dunno, i thought they were kinda funny. true, they were really annoying at some points but i wouldn't say "they totally sucked". more for the wesley willis crowd (to which i proudly belong) not really all that bad. ;) meow, rachel ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 14:48:54 -0400 From: Destin Berthelot Subject: TMBG: FINALLY: my Linnell interview, online! +Visual Discography. Message-id: <354CBC16.753@rollins.edu> So as some of you may remember, I did an interview with John Linnell at the Orlando show on march 26th, and I swore I'd put it up in realaudio so's everybody could listen to it. Well, it took a little longer than I expected, but I finally did it. You can find it at my new page, at: http://members.xoom.com/theymightbe/ The page that's up now has the realaudio file link at the bottom. It also presents what will eventually be a really cool thing I'm doing: the They Might Be Giants Visual Discography. Basically, it'll be a site with scans of anything and everything TMBG has put out; CDs (with longboxes), tapes, records, promo versions, international versions, etc. It should open completely sometime this summer. I'll post to the list when it does. I ripped off the idea from the Cure Visual Discography (http://mcin-120.resnet.tamu.edu/discography/), if you want to see what the hell I'm talking about. I have a list of stuff I own on the page that I'll be including, but there's a lot I don't have... like any records or tapes, Mono Puff Hello CDs, and some promo singles. Some of the stuff I have is also incomplete, like the LP and 12" stuff, since it'll be scanned out of Then and I'd like to have scans of the center stickers of the records themselves as well. I'd like for you guys to check the list and if you have something I don't, send me an email... and we can work out how to get them. You can email or icq me the files, or if you have a web site or ftp site we can do that, or if you don't have a scanner but can take photographs of the stuff, well, I might just be that desperate. :) I want this to be a really cool TMBG resource, so please help me out if you can. You'll be credited on the site if you do, of course. Thanks! Destin ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980503192644.0073e6e4@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 14:26:44 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: i miss graham! Heh heh. I taped that because Tenacious D was on. I'm gonna have to go back and find him. Could someone tell me what he looks like. And on a side note: Anyone else here a TenaciousD fan? LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980503153256.006aa548@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 15:32:56 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: i miss graham! At 02:26 PM 5/3/98 -0500, The Li'l Depressed Boy wrote: >Heh heh. I taped that because Tenacious D was on. I'm gonna have to go >back and find him. Could someone tell me what he looks like. The easiest way to describe him is that he's the one with the bass. ;) Here's a picture of the band: http://www.injersey.com/Media/IJFeatures/Edison/Largeimages/25.jpg , and Graham's the one with the acoustic bass near the back to the left. -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980503193926.00730ddc@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 14:39:26 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: NONTMBG: Tenacious D: The Greatest Band In The Universe At 12:26 PM 5/3/98 -0700, Rachel wrote: >mr.train@juno.com wrote: >> >> I gotta admit, it was really cool seeing Graham on SNL, I think that's as >> close to getting TMBG on the show as we'll ever get... >> I also have to add that Tenacious D SUCKED! I cannot believe anyone would >> put those guys on TV... They were like Ween except fatter and sang in >> lower voices... they totally sucked! >> I don't mean to get on a rant here but... THEY REALLY BLEW!! >> What does everyone else think? >> >hmmmm, i dunno, i thought they were kinda funny. true, they were really >annoying at some points but i wouldn't say "they totally sucked". more >for the wesley willis crowd (to which i proudly belong) not really all >that bad. ;) What? I guess if you guys don't know that much about JB and KG, you guys might not understand them. Tenacios D is my 2nd favorite band, and I watch the one episode of their TV show I have on tape all the time. Well, to each his own I guess. I will admit their music sounds a bit worse without the Swear words, but it's still pretti funny. I was happy to finally hear "The history of Tenacious D" I'm out, LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-ID: <354C86B2.9EE2192C@mix-net.net> Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 16:01:08 +0100 From: "Chris \"Feeny\" Campbell" Subject: Re: TMBG: Token to Brooklyn... > Basically it's just the negative part of S-E-X-X-Y. Press play and as soon as > the CD starts hold down the rewind button or whatever. Go back about a minute > or till it gets quiet. If it goes back to the beginning of S-E-X-X-Y, you've > gone to far, and if you hear "get awaaaaaaay" you haven't gone far enough. > Okay? Okay? Okay. > -Carey "Get Away"??? Thats on the D-A-S version not on F Showroom right? Am I missing somthing? -- -Chris "fEenY" Campbell ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ TMBG SHRINE! Http://www.mix-net.net/~ccampbell E-mail - ccampbell@mix-net.net Or At - feeny@tmbg.org ----"No one understands, No one knows my plan" -John Linnell, ----"A note to myself, do the dumb things I gotta do, touch the puppet head" -John Flansburgh They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980503161451.006a0cd4@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 16:14:51 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Token to Brooklyn... At 04:01 PM 5/3/98 +0100, Chris \"Feeny\" Campbell wrote: > >"Get Away"??? Thats on the D-A-S version not on F Showroom right? Am I missing >somthing? You're not missing anything. I just tried it and it starts off with drums...not the "Get away" intro on the DAS version. To make sure you've gone back enough, go to -0:55 or so... Drums'll slowly fade in... -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 17:14:37 -0400 From: Destin Berthelot Subject: Re: TMBG: FINALLY: my Linnell interview, online! +Visual Discography. Message-id: <354CDE3D.1FCD@rollins.edu> If anybody just tried to listen to the interview, and it didn't work, it's my fault. Should be fixed now. Sorry... http://members.xoom.com/theymightbe/ Destin ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: Date: Sun, 3 May 1998 17:41:55 EDT Subject: NON TMBG: Re: Re: TMBG: Graham on SNL + JH Question In a message dated 5/3/98 12:28:17 PM, eck@indy.net wrote: >more >for the wesley willis crowd (to which i proudly belong) Woo, you too? :D "you can really whoop a polar bear's ass. TIMEX! IT TAKES A LICKING AND KEEPS ON TICKING!" Sorry.:) I had to. sarah. ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: <9414b26b.354ce52a@aol.com> Date: Sun, 3 May 1998 17:44:09 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: FINALLY: my Linnell interview, online! +Visual Discography. In a message dated 5/3/98 1:56:33 PM, dberthelot@Rollins.Edu wrote: >So as some of you may remember, I did an interview with John >Linnell at the Orlando show on march 26th, and I swore I'd put it up in >realaudio so's everybody could listen to it. Well, it took a little >longer than I expected, but I finally did it. You can find it at my new >page, at: Will there be a transcript for us poor people whose computers decided to be bitches and refuse RA? :} sarah ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 3 May 1998 18:01:37 -0400 (EDT) From: 99 and 44/100% MIKe! Subject: Re: TMBG: Tenacious D Message-ID: On Sun, 3 May 1998, The Li'l Depressed Boy wrote: > Heh heh. I taped that because Tenacious D was on. I'm gonna have to go > back and find him. Could someone tell me what he looks like. > > And on a side note: Anyone else here a TenaciousD fan? I had never seen them before last night, and was pleasantly surprised, mainly because though I do not know who KG is, the JB in Tenacious D is none other than the fine actor Jack Black. He can be seen in such films as Mars Attacks and The Cable Guy, among others, and since I have long enjoyed him as an actor, it was surprising to discover his musical talents. Plus, they were good. MIKe *TMBG Info Club ID No: 18902* THE COOLEST PLACE TO BE - Mr Flippy's Red Light Funtime Party Hour --->http://www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy<--- Playground Justice in effect at www.journalx.com, if you dare ________________________________________________________________ "If you really want to hurt your parents and you don't have nerve enough to be homosexual, the least you can do is go into the arts." ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19980503234747.007c1590@mail-in.keme.net> Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 23:47:47 +0100 From: The Ellesleys Subject: TMBG: MP3's I'm having a bita trubs with the outta planet mix of The Guitar. Basically, the blleder will not D/L. Can someone zip up a copy and send it me pleez. Also, has anyone got the remix of SEXXY knocking about? --Squidgy Colin the Thick Brit ~THE ELLESLEYS~ (of Colchester-Essex-UK) Home Page: Http://www.keme.co.uk/~thelimes/ TMBG page: Http://members.xoom.com/uncle_squid/Xoom/ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ If some girl tried to kick my ass, I'd be like "Hey, why don't you stop dressing me up like a mail-man and making me dance for you while you go and smoke crack and in your bedroom and have sex with some guy in don't even know on my Dad's bed!" - Cartman (From South Park) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 3 May 1998 19:48:37 -0500 Subject: TMBG: latest results Message-ID: <19980503.195019.25014.1.bnl_bff_tmbg_fan@juno.com> From: bnl_bff_tmbg_fan@juno.com (Jessica J Woletz) i just voted for linnell, and here are the results: Here are the latest results as of when i voted: 1. Hank the Angry, Drunken Dwarf, 209788 votes 2. Leonardo DiCaprio, 12705 votes 3. Linda Comer, 9910 votes 4. Gillian Anderson, 6425 votes 5. Kate Winslet, 5349 6. Faye Wong, 5257 7. Michelle Kwan, 5076 8. Madonna, 4979 9. John Linnell, 3420 10. Hanson, 3395 i'm also going to put the link someone mentioned earlier (to a page where you can only vote for linnell)--sorry i forgot your name--on my page...that'd be so awesome if linnell gets in the top ten! Jessie *Stand on your own head for a change* ~~~~~~~TMBG *But painting's creating, and I'm just erasing A crystal-clear canvas is my masterpiece*~~~~~BNL ~~~~~~~~~~~ICQ #: 1634775~~~~~~~~~~~* Visit my webpage! http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/7340 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 3 May 1998 21:55:51 -0500 (CDT) From: Jackyl Subject: TMBG: Hurry your votes Message-ID: This is a point of suspense for me. Linnell is only 5 votes ahead of HANSON. This is scary scary scary. Please, all of you, with every computer you can get your hands on, your friends' computers, schools, whatever. Vote at http://www.pathfinder.com/people/50most/1998/vote. I'm so happy he's at #9 and held it for this long, but we can't let HANSON surpass our beloved. While you're at it, check out my MP3 site if you haven't already. http://www.the-b.org/~jackyl/mp3 Brandon ------------------------------ Message-ID: <354D301E.A90ECC98@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu> Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 22:03:59 -0500 From: The Golden Spider Duck Subject: Re: TMBG: Hurry your votes Tomorrow, when the labs open, Johnny's getting a good 100 votes. Hanson may surpass him in the dark of night, but come morning our baby boy will be back on top. Jackyl wrote: > This is a point of suspense for me. Linnell is only 5 votes ahead of > HANSON. This is scary scary scary. Please, all of you, with every > computer you can get your hands on, your friends' computers, schools, > whatever. Vote at http://www.pathfinder.com/people/50most/1998/vote. > > I'm so happy he's at #9 and held it for this long, but we can't let HANSON > surpass our beloved. > > While you're at it, check out my MP3 site if you haven't already. > http://www.the-b.org/~jackyl/mp3 > > Brandon ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 3 May 1998 21:03:58 -0600 Subject: Re: sorta-TMBG: Soul Coughing Message-ID: <19980503.210403.13238.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) >But, as for Soul Coughing, they rally rocked >the >house, er, I mean, hill. I guess they relate to TMBG in that TMBG >played >last year and both groups got really pissed when kids in the audience >were >crowdsurfing and moshing, and Flans yelled at everyone when someone >threw >a shoe on stage i'm upset... last year's day on the hill show was the last time i saw TMBG play :( anyways, about the moshing at that show... it wasn't really that bad... they just got pissed when they threw the shoe on stage "if ya wanna see the show end real quick, throw the other one." Hehee... the naked dude in the pit was interesting. on a side note... i saw the kid that got his shoe thrown on stage begging a security guard after the show to get it back... why can't they come out west again!!! take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html "why do you think she capitalizes her name that way? if you take all the caps and put them together and play them backards it says "I SLEPT WITH FLANS" ... but only of you play it with the weird part in Hearing Aid"---(Denomin8r) AKA kris maxwell _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <354D5D43.34C3@fuse.net> Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 23:16:35 -0700 From: jays your one-paged dictionary Organization: dial-a-song! 718-287-6962, narrrrrrrrr! Subject: Re: sorta-TMBG: Soul Coughing Joda: Master of Yedi wrote: > they just got pissed when they threw the shoe on stage "if ya > wanna see the show end real quick, throw the other one." Hehee... the > naked dude in the pit was interesting. > on a side note... i saw the kid that got his shoe thrown on stage begging > a security guard after the show to get it back... > > why can't they come out west again!!! > heh. we easterners seem to be a mild lot, in comparison--maybe that's why. ;) love and good happiness stuff, jay -- jayhc, crying at the cracks in the ceiling all the time. e-mail: sirjamez@fuse.net, phonebook@tmbg.org aol im: SaturnChrd, PhoneBookJ irc: PhoneBook "and sadly the cross-eyed bear's been put to sleep behind the stairs, and his shoes are laced with irony." --tmbg "i get my exercise acting as a pallbearer to my friends who exercise." --chauncy depew -- ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 3 May 1998 23:24:43 -0400 (EDT) From: The Demonic Kangaroo Subject: TMBG: 5/1 pics up! Message-ID: Hi there. I just added some pics from the 5/1/98 show at the Electric Factory in Philadelphia, PA. Enjoy! -Mike http://www.cybercomm.net/~tdk/index.html ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19980504001327.007d2100@postoffice2.mail.cornell.edu> Date: Mon, 04 May 1998 00:13:27 -0400 From: Michael Capellupo Gurzo Subject: TMBG: Forsaken by Flansburg Having just returned from the show at Cornell (it was a pretty good one, but the crowd was comatose) and waiting very patiently outside for the Johns (and Hal and Dan) to come outside, let me tell all of you: I am mad. Mad. At the very end of the show, my friend (a Cornell student who got us the tickets) and I were able to procure a couple of the setlists from the tech guys, and we each bought a shirt. We walked all around the building and found the exit which we thought would be a likely exit for the Johns. We were joined by a small following who knew that we knew what we were doing, and asked if we were waiting for autographs. In the end, some guy and two girls ended up waiting with us four. We waited about half an hour outside the parking lot exit, and were rewarded eventually by the albeit brief presence of Mr. John Flansburgh. Our conversation consisted basically of the following: Us: Excuse us, can we have an autograph? John (hereby referred to as "that jerk": Sorry guys, i'm in a real jam. I gotta get my folks home. Us: Awwwwww...just one? That jerk: Sorry, guys. I gotta run. Us: Awwwwww... (assorted cursings and mutterings) After standing there in the mud, stunned silent, we began to express the torment of our damaged souls by calling him names. We were amazed that, not only would he not sign 7 autographs (2 setlists, 4 shirts and a hat), but that he wouldn't even sign JUST ONE! We moped around for a while, insulting him and his parents (to whom another of my friends said "Happy Birthday"). We waited longer. Then Linnell came out. This time, we were getting autographs! We all but cornered him and Hal, and said in a pleading voice "Can we please have just one autograph?" He responded "Just one?" and my heart sank, for I was not the one to get the autograph. He signed my friend's setlist "John Sid" and then was off in his little car, which I was more than tempted to throw mudballs at (even though it was Flans who gave us the shaft). But it was a good show anyway. There were two encores. S'good stuff. -Geoff, using Mike's (not Leffel's) computer ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 3 May 1998 23:24:55 -0500 (CDT) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: TMBG: tmbg on the radio...THREE in a row! top that! Message-ID: > imagine my surprise when i changed the radio from K-Rock, Los Angeles' > biggest radio station to Y-107, the second most popular dail spot in LA > and found TMBG was part of their "Double Double" weekend. i got to hear > Don't Let's Start AND Birdhouse. broadcast loud and proud to the land of > southern california. and at the end the DJ even said, "Where else are > you gonna hear two TMBG songs in a row?" i just don't know. :) > > jillian I did actually hear THREE in a row once on KRNU, the college station here in Lincoln, NE. It was Minimum Wage following right into Letterbox, and then Lucky Ball & Chain, if memory serves me. :) Up there on the wall at the store, --Tara NON-TMBG CONTENT: Cool music I just discovered yesterday: Lullaby For The Working Class. Anybody here heard of 'em? They're from right here in my hometown, yessiree, and their new album is out on Bar/None as a matter of fact. I'd heard *of* them 'cause they're local and all, but I'd never actually heard them until a friend loaned me their CD yesterday (which is called I Never Even Asked For Light, btw). This is absolutely beautiful music. Wow. Soothingly acoustic, but not in a drippy dopey folksy sort of way (not that I have any problem with folk music--I mean that it doesn't sound like *bad* folk music). They get compared to Wilco and Uncle Tupelo a lot, if that provides any sort of frame of reference, but I think they're actually rather unique. Anyway, in the immortal words of Flans, "check it out, check it totally out." :) -- Tara Weber 00085244@bigred.unl.edu http://members.tripod.com/~TaraW "We want everybody to have a good time, but we're not on a rock hero trip." --John Flansburgh "It's more of a rock gyro trip." --John Linnell ****MSTie #74191, TMBGer #38978**** ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199805040429.AAA04760@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 23:29:49 -0500 From: "angular unconformity, the naked singularity" Subject: Re: TMBG: Forsaken by Flansburg flans is usually really good about signing stuff, so i would guess that if he said he couldn't, he really was in a hurry and didn't have time to... linnell is pretty crowd shy, and doesn't usually sign anything at all, so if he got cornered he probably wanted to get out as quick as he could... you shouldn't be too upset... i saw them in san antonio in november, we waited an hour outside in the cold after the show and eventually they snuck out on us out another door... , but we got them the next night, so it just takes patience... rabidchild (.paul swan) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199805040542.BAA20283@user1.channel1.com> Date: 04 May 98 01:42:40 +0000 From: Podkayne Subject: Too *COOL* RE: Non-TMBG: Faye Wong Hey, All; Crossover has landed... J Chen wrote: >snip< >In some sense, >she has become an international star; Asians (especially Chinese, and >mostly college-aged) in America and Canada are drawn to her, and her >following, yes, is as devoted to her as we are to the Johns, buying every >new album and single she comes out with (and she has a lot) and getting >tapes of all her videos. > > For those who like foreign films, you may have seen Faye Wong by >watching "Chungking Express." She is, in fact, international - it's so freakin' cool when two different worlds reach out & dance together for a while - I've been in love w/ Faye since Chungking Express (& visited the restaurant in in HK where it was filmed) and have loved TMBG since 1985... I'm a Caucasian guy who just so happens to dig all over both worlds and belong to Maillists for each - Faye *&* John BOTH deserve to be in the top 50 'Most Beaut. People'... I'm listening to Faye's 'Super Best' as I type & will put on 'Apollo 18' next - this is just too cool - check her out if you have a chance... Best, David /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ life ain't nothin' but a hungry hungry hippo \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 3 May 1998 23:43:05 -0600 (MDT) From: jim Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg on the radio...THREE in a row! top that! Message-ID: On Sun, 3 May 1998, Tara Lynne Weber wrote: > > imagine my surprise when i changed the radio from K-Rock, Los Angeles' > > biggest radio station to Y-107, the second most popular dail spot in LA > > and found TMBG was part of their "Double Double" weekend. i got to hear > > Don't Let's Start AND Birdhouse. broadcast loud and proud to the land of > > southern california. and at the end the DJ even said, "Where else are > > you gonna hear two TMBG songs in a row?" i just don't know. :) > > > > jillian > > I did actually hear THREE in a row once on KRNU, the college station here > in Lincoln, NE. It was Minimum Wage following right into Letterbox, and > then Lucky Ball & Chain, if memory serves me. :) > > Up there on the wall at the store, > --Tara > Not to brag, but my cool college radio station, KRUX, played two straight hours of tMBg last year during a specialty show that showcased talented-but-not-mainstream bands. I truely believe that it was the best two hours of broadcasting ever. -jim ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #6-4 ****************************