Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #6-5 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 6, Number 5 Tuesday, 5 May 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: Encounters with Fans in the Real World TMBG: Factory Showroom: The Complete Sessions, ethics of Re: TMBG: Forsaken by Flansburg TMBG: Linnell Update, Skull Mountain TMBG: oops... TMBG: For the computer illiterate... TMBG: DPK on the People Poll Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom: The Complete Sessions, ethics of Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom: The Complete Sessions, ethics of TMBG: fans in real life TMBG: OH MY GOD: TMBG Offical Site updated RE:TMBG: OH MY GOD: TMBG Offical Site updated RE:TMBG: OH MY GOD: TMBG Offical Site updated Re: TMBG: OH MY GOD: TMBG Offical Site updated Re: TMBG: Forsaken by Flansburg Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom: The Complete Sessions, ethics of Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom: The Complete Sessions, ethics of Re: TMBG: On the Radio...TWICE! Re: TMBG: For the computer illiterate... TMBG: Cornell (Long and Unimportant) Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom: The Complete Sessions, ethics of TMBG: danger, will robinson!! Re: NON-TMBG: Tenacious D TMBG: TMBG article Re: TMBG:Complete FS Sessions Re: TMBG: Conversion Re: TMBG: Cornell (Long and Unimportant) Re: TMBG: Conversion TMBG: Flansy's birthday! Re: TMBG: Conversion TMBG: Latest poll results Re: TMBG: Latest poll results TMBG: Cookies for John Re: TMBG: Cornell (Long and Unimportant) TMBG: new poll results Re: TMBG: Cookies for John TMBG: newer poll results Re: TMBG: Cookies for John Re: TMBG: Cookies for John TMBG: tmbg e-mail Re: TMBG: Cookies for John Re: TMBG: Cookies for John TMBG: ideas for getting more linnell votes Re: TMBG: Cookies for John Non-TMBG: Cookies for John Re: TMBG: ideas for getting more linnell votes TMBG: Ana Ng Video Re: TMBG: Cookies for John TMBG: Interp for Window TMBG: Linnell and tricks... Non-TMBG: Linnell and tricks... Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <354D9660.B6CF0B5A@pacificnet.net> Date: Mon, 04 May 1998 02:20:24 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Encounters with Fans in the Real World > LOL, I did almost the same thing last year.. I saw this > girl going down the > stairs ahead of me at school after homeroom one day, > wearing the TMBG Hats > shirt, and I believe I had my coffee cup shirt on, and I > ran up to her (hey, > rare They sightings make ya do dumb things) and was like > "love your shirt!" > and she was like.. "uhh yeah.." :P > I felt like an ass. :) Why do most of the TMBG fans we > meet in real life, just > not seem to have their heart in it? ;D > > sarah ~ linnellgirl Linnell said a few times that TMBG fans are shy. Maybe its that. Or maybe its just that hearing another person saying anything about TMBG catches you so off-guard that you don't know what to say. In December of '96, I was at a Best Buy in Valencia, CA doing some Christmas shopping. I was getting Factory Showroom for my brother and a man and woman line behind me began this conversation with each other, loudly to get my attention: Man: "Why is the world in love again?" Woman: "I don't know.... Why are we marching hand in hand?" Man: "Why are the ocean levels rising up?" I heard them clearly but I didn't react at all. Why? I'm not sure. I would have preferred they asked me straight out if I liked TMBG. I felt, at the time that the were f*cking with me. Anyway, when I didn't react, the guy looked at my four CDs on the counter and said to me, "That's a wide variety of tastes you have there." I told them they're were gifts. (Which was true.) He said, "yeah right, I know that Mariah Carrey CD is for you." Maybe I should have started a conversation with him. Instead, I followed him out to the parking lot and beat him up. (no, just kidding.) Anyway, every person in the real world that I ever mentioned TMBG to has never heard of them and when I play them some of their stuff, they don't particularly like it. (sigh.) -B O N G O _________________________________________________ Bow down to the most beautiful person in the world at: http://pathfinder.com/people/50most/1998/vote/index.html Tell your friends to vote too. Vote from home, vote from work and vote from every computer at school. Then enroll to a new school and vote from all of their computers. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <354DAC3E.DFB1F028@pacificnet.net> Date: Mon, 04 May 1998 03:53:46 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Factory Showroom: The Complete Sessions, ethics of About nine months ago I posted some comments about something known as: "Factory Showroom: The Complete Sessions". I said that trading boots of those unreleased studio songs was sort of disrespectful to the guys we all seem to worship. I got many replies publicly and privately. Many of them were flames and most of them disagreed with me. Some people said it was okay because John and John don't know them and They think the fans are weird, etc. I said that still doesn't make it okay but every told me to quit making such a fuss and shut up. I walked away with my head hung low. The last comment I made on the subject was that I wondered how they would respond if one day we got a chance to ask them directly their feelings on this. Well that day has come! Yesterday, someone (who's name I forgot) posted a link to his web page containing a RealAudio clip of an interview he did with Linnell for WPRK, his college radio station. In that interview the subject of unreleased studio work came up. Here's the quote... Linnell: "Obviously, something we have a REAL problem with is that we've made recordings and somehow they get leaked out before we have a chance to release them, you know and that ruins the surprise of the... you know. We want to be the first ones to present a recording we've done of ourselves but it could also undercut sales and everything." It feels good to finally be vindicated. By the way, the whole interview is rather long and its got a lot of good stuff in it. You can find it at: http://members.xoom.com/theymightbe/ -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-ID: <354E0365.395@fuse.net> Date: Mon, 04 May 1998 11:05:25 -0700 From: jays your one-paged dictionary Organization: dial-a-song! 718-287-6962, narrrrrrrrr! Subject: Re: TMBG: Forsaken by Flansburg Michael Capellupo Gurzo wrote: > --snipped part about flans avoiding fans-- > After standing there in the mud, stunned silent, we began to express the > torment of our damaged souls by calling him names. We were amazed that, > not only would he not sign 7 autographs (2 setlists, 4 shirts and a hat), > but that he wouldn't even sign JUST ONE! We moped around for a while, > insulting him and his parents (to whom another of my friends said "Happy > Birthday"). lookee, my friend--flans isn't obligated to do anything. so you waited out in the mud; that's your problem, not his, and you shouldn't complain about his lack of willingness to sign his name another seven times. as one already pointed out, he's usually great about signing autographs; he must've had a good reason not to, and if he did, you have absolutely no right to complain, call him names, etc. i'm not the biggest flansie fan, but he's one half of the dynamic duo, and i'm not gonna ever seriously diss him. love and good happiness stuff, jay -- jayhc, who wishes to be woken when it's over, touched on the face, and told that every word has been erased. e-mail: sirjamez@fuse.net, phonebook@tmbg.org aol im: SaturnChrd, PhoneBookJ irc: PhoneBook "and sadly the cross-eyed bear's been put to sleep behind the stairs, and his shoes are laced with irony." --tmbg and on the seventh day of rest, god said "let there be good music!" and john linnell came to life from the earth, and god was happy. then, deciding linnell needed an animal companion, he said "let there be flansburgh!" and flansie there was, and god wasn't quite so happy, but said screw it and left things well enough alone. -- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 10:27:18 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: Linnell Update, Skull Mountain Message-ID: having just cast an umpteenth vote for the good mr. linnell, this is what the browser pulls up: 6.Faye Wong, 5296 7.Michelle Kwan, 5148 8.Madonna, 5023 9.John Linnell, 3499 10.Sarah Michelle Gellar, 3483 11.Hanson, 3466 12.Mariah Carey, 2489 john linnell is poised to pass madonna!! (he's more likely to pass madonna than hanson to pass him!! (24 votes vs. 33))... however, sarah michelle gellar is only 16 votes back! don't get complacent! to get linnell into the photo shoot requires much vigilant filibustering on our part! go forth, good people, and vote!!! (again) --jim kuemmerle, who has now used up his weekly quota of exclamation points... PS: skull mountain will be up again sometime next week, hopefully. my site is in the middle of a drastic and heretofore unanticipated reorganization... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 10:30:39 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: oops... Message-ID: sorry about the false alarm. madonna has 5023... john linnell has 3501... that whole hundreds place / thousands place thing had me thrown... --jim kuemmerle, who needs closed captioning for the math-impaired... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu ------------------------------ Message-ID: <354DF2FC.9F69DE83@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu> Date: Mon, 04 May 1998 11:55:24 -0500 From: The Golden Spider Duck Subject: TMBG: For the computer illiterate... Okay, I know it's stupid, and an angry, drunken dwarf could probably figure it out, but I'm computer illiterate, and suffer from a bad case of "dumb". How does one record sound off of a CD one is playing onto his/her computer? If I pop the Flood CD in there, how do I record the "Minimum Wage....Hee-Yah" part as a wave? Is there some way to do it? Or is it just hook up a speaker and loop that to a microphone? Or is there a special program I have to buy? I'm terribly curious. -Pumpie deFron- -- "A woman's voice on the radio can convince you you're in love. A woman's voice on the telephone can convince you you're alone." -They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Message-Id: <354e0af26c46002@garnet.tc.umn.edu> Subject: TMBG: DPK on the People Poll Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 13:37:38 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts Someone asked who "DPK" on the People Poll was... that's Dave P. Kirchner, an IRC Operator on EFnet. I've seen him as high as #2, but figure most of his votes got thrown out for being botted (let that be a lesson to us!) %% Chris Bongaarts %% Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu %% http://umn.edu/~cab %% U of Minnesota %% CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) %% Stop Plate Tectonics! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 12:39:51 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom: The Complete Sessions, ethics of Message-ID: <19980504.124004.13806.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) ethics of... yes, but now that the complete sessions are out there, i see nothing "wrong" in trading it. Selling the tape absolutely... even more so than selling, for example, a bootleg of some show. These songs have not yet been released thus They haven't made any money off of them yet. >Linnell: "Obviously, something we have a REAL problem with >is that we've made recordings and somehow they get leaked >out before we have a chance to release them, you know and >that ruins the surprise of the... you know. i see nothing different between this and back when Then: TEY came out and someone got a hold of it a couple months before it came out... rather than trading for dubs of it they posted the unreleased songs on a certain well-known unofficial TMBG site that shall remain unidentified >:) by the time the album was released there really was NO reason whatsoever for me to buy the album... i had copies of every song on there. there were no surprises on the album at all... i had even read the liner notes before i bought the album (on it's release date... march 25th?). What i'm saying is that if you are acquiring these FS sessions with the intention of NOT buying the album which will later hold the unreleased songs then, yes, that is wrong. It is also wrong if you are using the tape for profit. If you are using the tape solely for your own personal enjoyment and already own Factory Showroom and know for a fact that you will buy the next album which will most likely contain the other songs on the FS Sessions, then i see nothing wrong with it. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html Another Fine IRC (Efnet #tmbg) Moment: "why do you think she capitalizes her name that way? if you take all the caps and put them together and play them backards it says "I SLEPT WITH FLANS"... but only if you play it with the weird part in Hearing Aid"---(Denomin8r) AKA Kris Maxwell _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <354E0E66.ACCED3FC@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu> Date: Mon, 04 May 1998 13:52:22 -0500 From: The Golden Spider Duck Subject: Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom: The Complete Sessions, ethics of Did I miss something? What is the Factory Showroom sessions? What unreleased songs? -Soylent "Linnell is made out of People" Green- "A woman's voice on the radio can convince you you're in love. A woman's voice on the telephone can convince you you're alone." -They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19980504114357.007351d0@mailbox.ucdavis.edu> Date: Mon, 04 May 1998 11:53:19 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: fans in real life >Why do most of the TMBG fans we meet in real life, just >not seem to have their heart in it? I once saw a guy wearing a shirt that I've not seen before or since, or even heard of--a white shirt, with the whale'n'squid from A18 on the front and "They Might Be Giants--Apollo 18" on the back. Figuring that this guy had to be a True Fan to be wearing such a rare shirt, I asked him, "So, you like TMBG? Me too!" He blinked. "TM... who?" "They Might Be Giants," I explained. Turned out he got his shirt from a friend. I wonder if I'd have been justified in ripping the shirt off his back. :) > The >Elektra one costs $14 or so and the other one is $33. >So my question is: Can anyone tell me the difference between the two or >do I need to order the expensive version just to find out what it is? This one REALLY REALLY needs to go in the FAQ. What you've got there, m'friend, is the Australian import of JH. It comes with bonus tracks taken from--but NOT entirely comprising--Live in New York. Personally I think you'd be better off trading for a dub of LINY, but if you're a collector you may want to get the Aussie import anyway. >"Get Away"??? Thats on the D-A-S version not on F Showroom right? Am I missing >somthing? Technically, yes, but the only people who make that distinction are the ones who also make a distinction between "Sensurround" and "SenSurround". But I think he was referring to "get away" as in the last two words of the song, not the song title. >Us: Excuse us, can we have an autograph? >John (hereby referred to as "that jerk": Sorry guys, i'm in a real jam. I >gotta get my folks home. >Us: Awwwwww...just one? >That jerk: Sorry, guys. I gotta run. >Us: Awwwwww... (assorted cursings and mutterings) > >After standing there in the mud, stunned silent, we began to express the >torment of our damaged souls by calling him names. The poor guy's in a rush, apologizes for not having the time to sign a zillion autographs, and you call him names? Sorry, pal, but the only jerk I see here is you. --nicole the wonder nerd *** "Say you have a Ford pickup and an anti-Ford pickup heading towards each other at 20 mph..."--my physics professor, on particle annihilation Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn ICQ #11984736 Public PGP key at http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn/key.html ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: "Drunken Bird" Organization: Columbus State Univ.,Columbus, Ga. Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 14:57:22 EST Subject: TMBG: OH MY GOD: TMBG Offical Site updated Message-ID: Wow, they actually updated it! And I just was there last night converting a couple of to-be Giant's heads. I just wanted to make sure I was the first to scream it:) I'll post again after I have a chance on to see what they have got up, but one thing is certain, they have some info on STD. On a not partically related note: What is the most number of people have you converted to the wonders of TMBGism? - Drunken Bird (Who just so happens not to have any of his They CDs because he has leant them all out:P) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <354E1295.2180C8C2@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu> Date: Mon, 04 May 1998 14:10:13 -0500 From: The Golden Spider Duck Subject: RE:TMBG: OH MY GOD: TMBG Offical Site updated Um.....sure, it looks impressive and all, but what does it do? Is it me, or is it just a different way to present the same ole thing....kind of like leftovers. And STD. March 12? I hope they don't mean 1999. -Squat Crimson Pig- Drunken Bird wrote: > Wow, they actually updated it! And I just was there last night converting a couple of > to-be Giant's heads. > > I just wanted to make sure I was the first to scream it:) > > I'll post again after I have a chance on to see what they have got up, but one thing is > certain, they have some info on STD. > > On a not partically related note: What is the most number of people have you converted to > the wonders of TMBGism? > > - > Drunken Bird > (Who just so happens not to have any of his They CDs because he has leant them all out:P) -- "A woman's voice on the radio can convince you you're in love. A woman's voice on the telephone can convince you you're alone." -They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 14:14:06 -0500 (CDT) From: Kim Justice Subject: RE:TMBG: OH MY GOD: TMBG Offical Site updated Message-ID: On Mon, 4 May 1998, The Golden Spider Duck wrote: > Um.....sure, it looks impressive and all, but what does it do? > Is it me, or is it just a different way to present the same ole > thing....kind of like leftovers. And STD. March 12? I hope they don't > mean 1999. Was the site this unfriendly to text-only browsers (like lynx) before? [LINK] [LINK] [LINK] [LINK] kj -- justicek@edge.net (Kim Justice) http://edge.edge.net/~justicek Maybe it's tomorrow and maybe it's not. Maybe it's yesterday; I just forgot! ------------------------------ From: Strawbos69 Message-ID: Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 15:15:04 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: OH MY GOD: TMBG Offical Site updated In a message dated 98-05-04 15:10:01 EDT, wcornel@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu writes: << And STD. March 12? I hope they don't mean 1999. >> "hey JOHN! wanna watch the list explode before our very eyes? Heh heh heh, watch this!!!" I sure do hope that was a mistake. Perhaps they're not 'quite' finished yet, and were just filling up space... "So, how many of you bought our new album?........WOW! That's amazing! Because the new album isn't even OUT yet!" ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: <52756f84.354e2460@aol.com> Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 16:25:59 EDT Subject: Re: Re: TMBG: Forsaken by Flansburg In a message dated 5/3/98 12:30:13 PM, rabidchild@tmbg.org wrote: >flans is usually really good about signing stuff, so i would guess that if >he said he couldn't, he really was in a hurry and didn't have time to... Yeah, I even saw Flans signing some stuff at the buffalo show, but didn't want to go up because I knew that if I did maybe he'd all the sudden he'd have to leave, with my luck. ;) So they were obviously in a hurry to not sign for you, geoff (was that your name? ) I mean, I've waited for plently autographs after shows - BNL, Moxy & TMBG, and just watching them sign other people's stuff.. 7 people takes quite a while! I bet if it was just you and/or your friend they would have done it.. you know.. seing more people makes it worse.. Maybe they had to drive their parents to catch a plane that was leaving really soon...and they didn't have time to sign a bunch of autographs that night. >linnell is pretty crowd shy, and doesn't usually sign anything at all, so >if he got cornered he probably wanted to get out as quick as he could... >you shouldn't be too upset... Wow, I know, really! Linnell autographs are highly rare so I hear.. :) I have one, but it was by the manager taking something backstage for J & J to sign (12/96:)). sarah ~ http://lava.home.ml.org ~ linnellgirl@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: Kaylum Message-ID: Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 16:36:14 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom: The Complete Sessions, ethics of >Linnell: "Obviously, something we have a REAL problem with >is that we've made recordings and somehow they get leaked >out before we have a chance to release them, you know and >that ruins the surprise of the... you know. i see nothing different between this and back when Then: TEY came out and someone got a hold of it a couple months before it came out... rather than trading for dubs of it they posted the unreleased songs on a certain well-known unofficial TMBG site that shall remain unidentified >:) by the time the album was released there really was NO reason whatsoever for me to buy the album... i had copies of every song on there. there were no surprises on the album at all... i had even read the liner notes before i bought the album (on it's release date... march 25th?). What i'm saying is that if you are acquiring these FS sessions with the intention of NOT buying the album which will later hold the unreleased songs then, yes, that is wrong. It is also wrong if you are using the tape for profit. If you are using the tape solely for your own personal enjoyment and already own Factory Showroom and know for a fact that you will buy the next album which will most likely contain the other songs on the FS Sessions, then i see nothing wrong with it. >> Technically and practically, no, there isn't much difference, but artistically, there is. The bonus tracks on T:TEY are stuff they pulled from their archives that never would've seen the light of day otherwise. The unreleased tracks on the Factory Showroom sessions bootleg are basically "works in progress" that the band chose not to release in their present form. I can understand why Linnell would be frustrated about his work getting out before he felt it was ready. You could argue the same thing about concert bootlegs, but that's different, too--they perform more for the fun and experimentation of it, whereas I'm sure they want everything to be absolutely perfect in the studio. Kay ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: <6e5e2de7.354e2b17@aol.com> Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 16:54:46 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom: The Complete Sessions, ethics of I apologize ahead of time for the incomprehensible matter of this post.. It's too noisy in here for me to think clearly. In a message dated 5/4/98 6:45:53 AM, ggr@pacificnet.net wrote: > Well that day has come! Yesterday, someone (who's name >I forgot) posted a link to his web page containing a >RealAudio clip of an interview he did with Linnell for WPRK, >his college radio station. In that interview the subject of >unreleased studio work came up. Here's the quote... > >Linnell: "Obviously, something we have a REAL problem with >is that we've made recordings and somehow they get leaked >out before we have a chance to release them, you know and >that ruins the surprise of the... you know. We want to be >the first ones to present a recording we've done of >ourselves but it could also undercut sales and everything." > > It feels good to finally be vindicated. By the way, >the whole interview is rather long and its got a lot of good >stuff in it. You can find it at: >http://members.xoom.com/theymightbe/ I blame it mostly on elektra. Nonono wait, listen. If they hadn't gone and ignored the band and stuff, and actually released the recordings (provided that TMBG wanted to.. "Superfueled", anyone?), no one would've (most likely) made copies of the recordings. I still believe it was an inside thing.. someone in the studio ripped off a tape or something, which was obviously there.. I doubt it was a fan hiding in the studio plugged into a sound board or something. But who ever did that in the first place and made copies is to blame also. As for us.. however it got to people by trading and trading...; it was on the name of someone's trading list, and I was picking a tape, and I mean, I wanted to hear this stuff! I don't feel particularly guilty about that. Maybe the main reason is that financial thing - they think it's going to ruin album sales - it's isn't. Not for us anyways right? As soon as this stuff is out in stores I am buying the cd copy. Not just because I'm a good fan:) but because of the quality also. (maybe I should have reversed that sentence..anyways) I'm not sure where I'm going with this.. it's just that sure, maybe it's unethical but *weee* are not the ones who stole the recordings. they're just as available as any bootleg out there. some bootlegs even have better quality. New stuff? There wasn't anything on those studio sessions I hadn't heard at a concert or on a bootleg before. So it didn't ruin anything for me there. *and* the fact that They Got Lost is obviously going to have to be re- recorded.. Brian Graham and...Eric are incorporated into it . am I done? sure. sarah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980504135813.0069be50@pop.ben2.ucla.edu> Date: Mon, 04 May 1998 13:58:13 +0000 From: Josh Morgan Subject: Re: TMBG: On the Radio...TWICE! At 02:38 PM 5/2/98 -0700, you wrote: > >imagine my surprise when i changed the radio from K-Rock, Los Angeles' >biggest radio station to Y-107, the second most popular dail spot in LA >and found TMBG was part of their "Double Double" weekend. i got to hear >Don't Let's Start AND Birdhouse. broadcast loud and proud to the land of >southern california. and at the end the DJ even said, "Where else are you >gonna hear two TMBG songs in a row?" i just don't know. :) > > jillian > I, too, heard the double dose of TMBG on Y-107, which was rather coincindental because i don't listen to the radio cuz it generally sux. Before i could switch my amp from "radio" to "cd" my speakers blasted the "da nanana da na na" of the 'don't let's start' intro. when it was over, i contently returned to popping in my tool cd, but low and behold, more tmbg continued to pour forth from my speakers, as john reassured me that he's my only friend... it really made my day i tell ya. josh ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: <69041373.354e2cbb@aol.com> Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 17:01:46 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: For the computer illiterate... In a message dated 5/4/98 12:55:06 PM, wcornel@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu wrote: > > How does one record sound off of a CD one is playing onto >his/her computer? If I pop the Flood CD in there, how do I record the >"Minimum Wage....Hee-Yah" part as a wave? Is there some way to do it? >Or is it just hook up a speaker and loop that to a microphone? Or is >there a special program I have to buy? I'm terribly curious. Well for me, I don't have any special equipment, so all I would do.. *if* I was playing the cd on my computer, is let it play well ahead of the bit I wanted to record, open up {remember I'm on a mac..} Sound, hold the mic over the speaker, and record. That's not what I do though. I have this old pair of headphones that when I hold them around the microphone tightly, whatever's playing over them gets recorded very well. sarah ~ linnellgirl@tmbg.org ~ http://lava.home.ml.org now playing.. sarah mclachlan: 'vox' ep ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980504170254.0080bbc0@mail.csrlink.net> Date: Mon, 04 May 1998 17:02:54 -0400 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: TMBG: Cornell (Long and Unimportant) Ok, my dad, sister, and I left Williamsport, PA at noon. We picked up Charlie at 2:00, then Sam, Beth and Neil in Corning, NY shortly afterwards. (It was my first time driving a long way, so my dad had to come along. Not to the show though.) We hit Ithaca at 4:00. We were meeting a very nice dude named Jeremy Foster. There were a few worried moments concerning whether or not we were at the correct College Town Bagels, but he eventually showed with our tickets. The whole think looked rather suspecious. He came in, sat down, we talked. He slid an envelope across the table, I pulled out my wallet and paid him some cash. Anyways, so now it's 4:30. We have to make it to the Field House by 5:00 to meet two more friends who can't make the show, but are gonna hang out a bit. This is when the rain really starts. We ask someone the general direction, they point. We go that way for a while, find a dry spot, find a person, repeat. Finally get there, are totally and completely soaked, meet our friends, and now what? Doors were in over two hours still. We decided to get some food. So seven of us pile into Marshall's Geo. That was fun. Get some pizza, get back there. Finally, doors are about to open. But just before they do, I chicken out and give Neil my tape recorder. He had to leave anyway, his dad is quite the jerk. We get in, and find that they have to check my backpack. That was quick. I finally get a Music Self Played... shirt. I got a Lincoln shirt and CD too, plus a blue TMBG winter hat. We get in, make the second row, kinda just left of center stage. Lincoln comes out maybe 8:10, they were great. Much better than I remember at the two Philly shows last September. There were a buncha people, myself included chanting Basketball. The lead dude said "We can't play that song, cause we usually have a guy with a piano," or something like that. But later they played like one verse of it, so it was all good. They Might Be Giants came out sometime around 9:15. No real intro, they all just walked out. Linnell came over and stood right in front of us, smiled, and waved a bit. They opened with Particle Man, and the Cornell crowd impressed me, cause they didn't go TOTALLY nuts at that. I mean, no more than the other next few songs. There was a pretty decent crush, and Charlie and I got seperated a bit from Sam and Beth. Then Beth got totally pushed away. The crush got REAL bad during the conga line. Oh, Flans spent about five minutes going "No more songs. Till everybody congas. We won't play any. Till everybody congas. People in the front row conga. Everybody conga." in this great monotone. As for the rest of the songs, I noticed that there weren't sooooo many of the new songs. I think we just heard Older, They Might Be Giants Got Lost (They actually said that, not "They Got Lost."), and Dr. Worm. They also talked about Severe Tire Damage. Said that it was mostly live, as we've been hearing, but Flans also said that "It's a combination of old favorites and some stuff that no one knows, for the maximum contrast." I was less impressed by the Cornell crowd when they chanted Istanbul before BOTH encores, it was finally played during the second one. Oh, and it was really cool, when they played James Ensor during the first encore. This was right after those of us up front had thrown quite a few crowd surfers to security, and generally gotten crushed. Almost everyone in the place just stood and listened to the song. Oh, confetti cannon had a buncha shredded money coming out the top, but underneath was normal colored paper confetti. Also, Flans came out for the second encore and he made two announcements. One was happy birthday to his mother. (Strange coincidence-Dan Patrick's mother's birthday was also yesterday.) The other was "John Linnell is #9 in the People poll for most beautiful person in the world. So, I don't know how you do it, but go vote for him. He's ahead of Celine Dion. (Big cheer.) They took him off for a while, probably to make room for Matt Daimon, but he's back! And he's right behind Madonna!" At least that's what I remember. Dan did his bit in Shoehorn perfectly, the Stick made its appearance, as did the puppet heads. Linnell did a decent jazzy improv on the sax during Spy, but, alas no Broom. So much more to remember. Ah some students outside made this cardboard box contraption that had a working mouth, that they got into the show and passed up to the front when the puppet heads came out, but I saw no reaction from the band. Hal was great the whole time. After the show, I asked a security guy for a setlist, just as someone beside me asked for a pic. He said, just one second to me. Then, he got a setlist and handed it to the other guy. I saw one security girl pocket one for herself, and the other two were handed out far away from me. We found Beth, she had gotten in the conga line and wound up in the back, but was havin fun. Found my dad, dropped everyone off, then I got to drive back here. Ended up coming in the door right around 2:00. I accidentally set my alarm clock to 6:00, and woke up around 11:00 this morning. Had a half day at school, so I didn't see much point in going by then. Also, the Real Audio interview posted recently was great. It had real good info on the breakup with Elektra among other stuff. Dylan "As many setlists as Mike Leffel" Flipse (Sorry for the length and non-interesting stuff) Dylan Flipse...one of them. - dflipse@csrlink.net Dylan's page is at http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ for now. I'll never see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed -They Might Be Giants, the coolest thing this side of Zaphod Beeblebrox. ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: <3401daf4.354e2d81@aol.com> Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 17:05:03 EDT Subject: Re: Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom: The Complete Sessions, ethics of In a message dated 5/4/98 2:44:38 PM, tmbgirl@juno.com wrote: > What i'm saying is that if you are acquiring these FS sessions with the >intention of NOT buying the album which will later hold the unreleased >songs then, yes, that is wrong. It is also wrong if you are using the >tape for profit. >If you are using the tape solely for your own personal enjoyment and >already own Factory Showroom and know for a fact that you will buy the >next album which will most likely contain the other songs on the FS >Sessions, then i see nothing wrong with it. THANK YOU Jordan . There's the point I was trying to get across:) I just couldn't find the words, lol. ;) sarah ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 15:12:10 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: danger, will robinson!! Message-ID: john linnell has (gasp!) slipped to NUMBER TEN. he is EIGHT VOTES BEHIND sarah michelle gellar. --jim kuemmerle, who's not fucking kidDING! everybody vote NOW! i'm not fucking kidDING! j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980504143406.00688830@pop.ben2.ucla.edu> Date: Mon, 04 May 1998 14:34:06 +0000 From: Josh Morgan Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Tenacious D > I gotta admit, it was really cool seeing Graham on SNL, I think that's as > close to getting TMBG on the show as we'll ever get... > I also have to add that Tenacious D SUCKED! I cannot believe anyone would > put those guys on TV... They were like Ween except fatter and sang in > lower voices... they totally sucked! > I don't mean to get on a rant here but... THEY REALLY BLEW!! > What does everyone else think? > Tenacious D was on SNL?! i'd have to say i missed it, but i DID however see them when they opened for Tool and by god they absolutely reeked of putrid donkey vomit!! everyone was BOOing them and yelling shit like "get the fuck off the stage!" maynard, tool's singer, had to come out and tell everyone to "shut the fuck up and give them a chance". they REALLY suck, scrotum and all... just my 2c, josh ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 17:33:38 -0400 (EDT) From: Jish Subject: TMBG: TMBG article Message-ID: I found this on the web...I dunno if it had been mentioned before but it is pretty darn cool...but a bit outdated...it is an interview with Linnell from november: http://students.haverford.edu/biconews/971111/news/artsliving/tmbg.html Jish ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 15:48:52 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG:Complete FS Sessions Message-ID: <19980504.154950.11142.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) > Did I miss something? What is the Factory Showroom sessions? >What >unreleased songs? typically when bands go in to record an album they'll record a few extra tracks as well... the complete Factory Showroom sessions somehow managed to get out of TMBG's hands and thus we've got these recordings... setlist is as follows: Metal Detector New York City Spiraling Shape XTC vs. Adam Ant SenSurround Token Back To Brooklyn On The Drag James K. Polk How Can I Sing Like A Girl? Your Own Worst Enemy Counterfeit Faker (not Counterfeit Fake) Til My Head Falls Off Pet Name Certain People I Could Name S~E~X~X~Y The Bells Are Ringing Unforgotten Exquisite Dead Guy Reprehensible Older They Got Lost Rat Patrol the majority of all TMBG bootleg traders have a copy of this... and despite the controversies brewing here we're still willing to dub it for anyone that wants a copy... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html Another Fine Moment On IRC (Efnet #tmbg): "why do you think she capitalizes her name that way? if you take all the caps and put them together and play them backards it says "I SLEPT WITH FLANS"... but only if you play it with the weird part in Hearing Aid"---(Denomin8r) AKA Kris Maxwell _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 17:38:16 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Conversion Message-ID: <19980504.180159.7358.3.gray42@juno.com> Well I've converted 2 people to the Joy of Giants, my friend Jared (who swore he hated them) with the bonus tracks from Then, and my friend Danielle with Don't Lets Start :D Mysterio Gal (fellow Subgenius & Happy Mutant) " If there were no doorknobs nobody would be abel to open the doors. Everybody would die" --Claire (age 6) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 17:57:40 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Cornell (Long and Unimportant) Message-ID: <19980504.180200.7358.4.gray42@juno.com> >in the door right around 2:00. I accidentally set my alarm clock to >6:00, >and woke up around 11:00 this morning. Had a half day at school, so I >didn't see much point in going by then. > ah yes, the joy of TMBG concerts, staying up till the morning hours and getting to stay home from school the next day, because parents know that you need your sleep and you also need your Giants. Sigh, happy memories are once again flooding my brain, I can't wait till the next concert :) Mysterio Gal (fellow Subgenius & Happy Mutant) " If there were no doorknobs nobody would be abel to open the doors. Everybody would die" --Claire (age 6) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: <1af4c6a1.354e410b@aol.com> Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 18:28:25 EDT Subject: Re: Re: TMBG: Conversion In a message dated 5/4/98 6:16:30 PM, gray42@juno.com wrote: >Well I've converted 2 people to the Joy of Giants, my friend Jared (who >swore he hated them) with the bonus tracks from Then, and my friend >Danielle with Don't Lets Start :D I've converted my impressionable little sister, in which she's converted all her little friends (it's funny.. all the 8 year old neighborhood kids running over asking me how much "Then" is:) I've also converted some online friends. I made a tape for one *real life* friend and she liked it but I highly doubt it made her run out and even get Flood. sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <354E41DD.51B9@geocities.com> Date: Mon, 04 May 1998 15:31:57 -0700 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: TMBG: Flansy's birthday! Okay, I know this is late, but I'm going to run exactly the same project that I did last year for Linnell's birthday. For those of you who wanna wish John Flansburgh a happy birthday on the 6th, email me and I'll compile a mass birthday signing again. I'll send it by email this time, however. Send those birthday greetings! -- Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* "Is everything normal now?" "And crawling on the "Well, he hasn't got planet's face... some religious mania, and he's called the Human Race. not running around in a Lost in time, and lost circle spouting Gilbert in space... and Sullivan, so I guess ...and meaning." he's normal." ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980504224022.00746ea4@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Mon, 04 May 1998 17:40:22 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: Re: TMBG: Conversion I am the King of The Converters: 1. My entire Broadcasting Classes, both of 'em. 2. New Kid. (Yes that's his name, or what we call 'im at least) 3. Two teachers visiting from school. 4. Countless people listing to my school's announcements, who ask me who they are. 5. The girl I *really* would like to ask out on a date... Sigh, on that note Bye, LDB PS MANY MANY MANY MANY MORE!@!! -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ From: EmmyMik Message-ID: <52758c3b.354e47af@aol.com> Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 18:56:46 EDT Subject: TMBG: Latest poll results 1.Hank the Angry, Drunken Dwarf, 216009 votes 2.Leonardo DiCaprio, 13082 votes 3.Linda Comer, 9931 votes 4.Gillian Anderson, 6597 votes 5.Kate Winslet, 5506 6.Faye Wong, 5309 7.Michelle Kwan, 5208 8.Madonna, 5046 ***9.John Linnell, 3561*** 10.Sarah Michelle Gellar, 3555 11.Hanson, 3512 12.Mariah Carey, 2519 13.Hudson Leick, 2390 14.Janet Jackson, 1914 15.Lucy Lawless, 1865 16.Ric Flair, 1627 17.Matt Damon, 1483 18.Eric Cartman, 805 19.Renee O'Connor, 731 20.Bill Muse, 707 Only 5 ahead of SMG... ------------------------------ Message-ID: <354E4FBE.7D1B3058@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu> Date: Mon, 04 May 1998 18:31:11 -0500 From: The Golden Spider Duck Subject: Re: TMBG: Latest poll results Check again. Now Johnny's down to 10 again, that wench Sarah is at 9 again by one vote. Rally, young TMBGies, rally. EmmyMik wrote: > 1.Hank the Angry, Drunken Dwarf, 216009 votes > > 2.Leonardo DiCaprio, 13082 votes > > 3.Linda Comer, 9931 votes > > 4.Gillian Anderson, 6597 votes > > 5.Kate Winslet, 5506 > > 6.Faye Wong, 5309 > > 7.Michelle Kwan, 5208 > > 8.Madonna, 5046 > > ***9.John Linnell, 3561*** > > 10.Sarah Michelle Gellar, 3555 > > 11.Hanson, 3512 > > 12.Mariah Carey, 2519 > > 13.Hudson Leick, 2390 > > 14.Janet Jackson, 1914 > > 15.Lucy Lawless, 1865 > > 16.Ric Flair, 1627 > > 17.Matt Damon, 1483 > > 18.Eric Cartman, 805 > > 19.Renee O'Connor, 731 > > 20.Bill Muse, 707 > > Only 5 ahead of SMG... -- "A woman's voice on the radio can convince you you're in love. A woman's voice on the telephone can convince you you're alone." -They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19980504200441.008b09f0@email.psu.edu> Date: Mon, 04 May 1998 20:04:41 -0400 From: "J. L. Moquin" Subject: TMBG: Cookies for John Don't know what we decided about the cookies that the People poll is using, but I just closed NutScrape, renamed my cookies.txt to cookies.old, re-dialed up so I'd have a different ISP number, and voted for Linnell. My new cookies.txt contains the following *two* cookies: >.pathfinder.com TRUE / FALSE 2051222390 PFUID [blah blah blah] > >.jwtt3.com TRUE / FALSE 942189150 NGUserID [blah blah blah] Just FYI, there's 2 cookies to delete if anyone's still doing it that way... -jennifer, mommy to alice the bean, 8/15/97 http://www.emprl.psu.edu/~anth/ mailto:jls5@psu.edu "Why can't you have a nice sunshine, flowers, and rainbows .sig like any normal woman?" -- Anthony Moquin ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 18:04:26 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Cornell (Long and Unimportant) Message-ID: <19980504.180438.13150.3.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) >ah yes, the joy of TMBG concerts, staying up till the morning hours >and getting to stay home from school the next day, because parents >know that you need your sleep and you also need your Giants. Sigh, >happy memories are once again flooding my brain, I can't wait till the >next concert :) yeah, but how many of your parents are so oblivious to you and what you're doing that you tell them one day that you're on your way to a small city in kansas that's 8 hours away to see a they might be giants concert and will be back in a few days... they don't care that you're missing your last day of finals (it didn't really matter cuz teh one final i had that day was my C++ programming class and teacher was so in love with my friend and i that we managed to get A+ in that class without doing anything the whole year...) and when you return they ask if you had a good time :) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html "why do you think she capitalizes her name that way? if you take all the caps and put them together and play them backards it says "I SLEPT WITH FLANS"... but only if you play it with the weird part in Hearing Aid"---(Denomin8r) AKA Kris Maxwell ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 17:06:34 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: TMBG: new poll results Message-Id: two behind the tramp 1. Hank the Angry, Drunken Dwarf, 216352 votes 2. Leonardo DiCaprio, 13112 votes 3. Linda Comer, 9935 votes 4. Gillian Anderson, 6612 votes 5. Kate Winslet, 5515 6. Faye Wong, 5317 7. Michelle Kwan, 5218 8. Madonna, 5051 9. Sarah Michelle Gellar, 3578 ****10. John Linnell, 3576**** ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 17:14:38 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: Cookies for John Message-ID: than vote more than one more time if you have this power ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 17:15:57 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: TMBG: newer poll results Message-ID: 1. Hank the Angry, Drunken Dwarf, 216418 votes 2. Leonardo DiCaprio, 13118 votes 3. Linda Comer, 9935 votes 4. Gillian Anderson, 6615 votes 5. Kate Winslet, 5516 6. Faye Wong, 5317 7. Michelle Kwan, 5220 8. Madonna, 5051 9. John Linnell, 3583 10. Sarah Michelle Gellar, 3582 11. Hanson, 3524 12. Mariah Carey, 2524 13. Hudson Leick, 2394 14. Janet Jackson, 1914 15. Ric Flair, 1903 16. Lucy Lawless, 1871 17. Matt Damon, 1492 18. Eric Cartman, 812 19. Renee O'Connor, 733 20. Bill Muse, 711 ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: <71eea454.354e5bb9@aol.com> Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 20:22:16 EDT Subject: Re: Re: TMBG: Cookies for John I was wondering, do you think if someone with, say, AOL changed screen names, the vote would still count as the same person? I'm thinking it would, seeing as it is the same *browser*, but then that's not fair. What if someone else on your account wants to vote for *their* pick on their screen name? Would you both be struck out? sarah listening to superchunk linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 17:25:56 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: Re: TMBG: Cookies for John Message-ID: try it ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 17:27:21 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: TMBG: tmbg e-mail Message-ID: a question for all. how do you get an e-mail to be @tmbg.org? ------------------------------ From: EmmyMik Message-ID: <39f228aa.354e5cee@aol.com> Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 20:27:25 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Cookies for John In a message dated 98-05-04 20:24:12 EDT, you write: << I was wondering, do you think if someone with, say, AOL changed screen names, the vote would still count as the same person? I'm thinking it would, seeing as it is the same *browser*, but then that's not fair. What if someone else on your account wants to vote for *their* pick on their screen name? Would you both be struck out? >> I'm not sure. I voted with my AOL browser. My sister, who is on the same Master account, voted for him too. Try it and see... ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 18:33:48 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Cookies for John Message-ID: On Mon, 4 May 1998, EmmyMik wrote: > I'm not sure. I voted with my AOL browser. My sister, who is on the same > Master account, voted for him too. Try it and see... problem is, now that it's not on 'instant update' mode anymore, it's hard to see whether it worked or not. worst case scenario: both votes make it in for now, but one gets thrown out later. --jim kuemmerle, who didn't want to say that the REAL worst case scenario is that both votes make it in for now, but the People computers get so confused by it that it locks the whole business up. j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 20:28:13 -0500 Subject: TMBG: ideas for getting more linnell votes Message-ID: <19980504.203132.4950.1.bnl_bff_tmbg_fan@juno.com> From: bnl_bff_tmbg_fan@juno.com (Jessica J Woletz) hey everyone, 1. i just sent out the url to EVERYONE on my icq list...if you have icq, i suggest you do the same...i also put a link up on my page. you could also tell people in chat rooms or on your aol instant messager to go to the page and vote. 2. send a message to all the mailing lists you're on (if there hasn't been a message already) saying that anyone who likes tmbg should go to and vote for linnell SOON!!! i think if everyone spreads the word we can't go wrong. 3. i think the above link is probably the best one to send people 'cause you can only vote for linnell on the page, which is what we want. we don't want people reading the list of *other* names, and then they might change their minds and vote for someone else. 4. what's the deadline for votes to be in? Jessie *Stand on your own head for a change* ~~~~~~~TMBG *But painting's creating, and I'm just erasing A crystal-clear canvas is my masterpiece*~~~~~BNL ~~~~~~~~~~~ICQ #: 1634775~~~~~~~~~~~* Visit my webpage! http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/7340 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: <9c10a65c.354e5f96@aol.com> Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 20:38:45 EDT Subject: Re: Re: TMBG: Cookies for John In a message dated 5/4/98 7:34:28 PM, J.Kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu wrote: >> I'm not sure. I voted with my AOL browser. My sister, who is on the same >> Master account, voted for him too. Try it and see... > >problem is, now that it's not on 'instant update' mode anymore, it's hard >to see whether it worked or not. worst case scenario: both votes make it >in for now, but one gets thrown out later. I'm *not* going to try it, because I don't want my votes deleted. sarah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199805050052.UAA11037@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Mon, 04 May 1998 19:53:51 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Non-TMBG: Cookies for John At 08:38 PM 5/4/98 -0400, you wrote: > >In a message dated 5/4/98 7:34:28 PM, J.Kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu wrote: > >>> I'm not sure. I voted with my AOL browser. My sister, who is on the same >>> Master account, voted for him too. Try it and see... >> >>problem is, now that it's not on 'instant update' mode anymore, it's hard >>to see whether it worked or not. worst case scenario: both votes make it >>in for now, but one gets thrown out later. > >I'm *not* going to try it, because I don't want my votes deleted. In the worst case, the duplicates will simply be removed. You can't harm his standing. Mitch "Three pants are better than no pants." ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 18:52:40 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: ideas for getting more linnell votes Message-ID: On Mon, 4 May 1998, Jessica J Woletz wrote: > 4. what's the deadline for votes to be in? i think may 8th. --jim kuemmerle, who isn't QUITE sure... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu ------------------------------ From: Superman25 Message-ID: <32da422f.354e65dd@aol.com> Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 21:05:32 EDT Subject: TMBG: Ana Ng Video hi. does anyone out ther know where the video for Ana Ng was filmed? i really doubt that it was a set build for the video. i'm guessin' it's somewhere in NYC or NY state. adam schaaf, who got hit with a bullet from the other side of a desktop globe. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19980504212213.008bc100@email.psu.edu> Date: Mon, 04 May 1998 21:22:13 -0400 From: "J. L. Moquin" Subject: Re: TMBG: Cookies for John At 05:14 PM 5/4/98 -0700, leonard helfgott wrote: >than vote more than one more time if you have this power well, see, i did vote a couple times today. but it takes like 5 minutes to rename the cookies file, close and re-open NutScrape, get a new, working connection to my ISP, load up the People page and vote. And I gotta 8.5 month-old daughter here, who wants to be entertained/nursed/supervised, and I just broke a glass on the kitchen floor and can only hope I got every SINGLE shard cleaned up, or else my precious child will slice herself next time she crawls over that way, and I dropped a can on my foot, and I'm just generally in a really pissy mood. I though I was doing real good just voting a couple times, plus telling you all about the cookies. :) I try my best... -jennifer, mommy to alice the bean, 8/15/97 http://www.emprl.psu.edu/~anth/ mailto:jls5@psu.edu "Why can't you have a nice sunshine, flowers, and rainbows .sig like any normal woman?" -- Anthony Moquin ------------------------------ From: Superman25 Message-ID: Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 21:32:26 EDT Subject: TMBG: Interp for Window hi. leave to canine inspiration, but i have a passable interp for Window. i was awoken this morning by my black lab, Midnight. she was proped up on the couch barking at people in the parking lot next to my house. it hit me in the early hours that Window is told from a dog's perspective. mr. kuemmerle, your expert opinions on interps would be greatly appreciated >Look at all the people in the window >I'm checking out the people in the window a dog is sitting of a open front door. suddenly it hears something. people are walking by the house. >I was uncomfortable now I'm uncomfortable the dog gets excited and runs from window to window, barking at those who pass by. it knows that there's someone out there, but it can't see who. >The trouble I encountered when I thought I was, it was a window the dog runs back to the open front door. it sees the people and starts barking even more. it's owner comes into the room and scolds the dog. >It was a cataloge of many women, men >The window >Window >Window the dog stands and waits, looking out for more people to walk by. it knows they will. when they do, it'll start barking again. i think it works. adam schaaf, woof. ------------------------------ From: Monotreme3 Message-ID: <847500d8.354e70ec@aol.com> Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 21:52:37 EDT Subject: TMBG: Linnell and tricks... I have a good idea. I forget who it was, but whoever it was that made that site with the "submit" could maybe make another site. This time, though, make it look like that submit button votes for Hank, or Hanson, or Madonna or something. Then we can mass mail chat rooms and they'll hopefully vote for those people. If you had time you could make one that had submit buttons for each of them, but in reality they would *all* vote for our boy, Linnell. How cool would that be? I know *I* don't have time to do it... but maybe someone could. Maybe the same person as before. -Carey ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199805050213.WAA13944@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Mon, 04 May 1998 21:14:55 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Non-TMBG: Linnell and tricks... At 09:52 PM 5/4/98 -0400, you wrote: >I have a good idea. I forget who it was, but whoever it was that made that >site with the "submit" could maybe make another site. This time, though, make >it look like that submit button votes for Hank, or Hanson, or Madonna or >something. Then we can mass mail chat rooms and they'll hopefully vote for >those people. If you had time you could make one that had submit buttons for >each of them, but in reality they would *all* vote for our boy, Linnell. How >cool would that be? I know *I* don't have time to do it... but maybe someone >could. Maybe the same person as before. It would be simple to do, but if anything would result in legitimate votes getting deleted, that might be it. If people found out about it, that is. Mitcharf ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #6-5 ****************************