Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #6-6 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 6, Number 6 Wednesday, 6 May 1998 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Cookies for John TMBG: Tossing Linnell's cookies, and copying to .wav format Re: TMBG: OH MY GOD: TMBG Offical Site updated Re: TMBG: OH MY GOD: TMBG Offical Site updated TMBG: they got to linda... TMBG: Interp for Window TMBG: Another Linnell idea TMBG: Dialasong.com!!! Re: TMBG: Dialasong.com!!! Re: TMBG: Cookies for John TMBG:Style Art Re: TMBG: they got to linda... TMBG: Sound page update! TMBG: John bitch-slaps SMG for #9! Re: TMBG: Conversion TMBG:heads Re: TMBG:heads Re: TMBG: they got to linda... TMBG: People Magazine: Print Edition Re: TMBG: People Magazine: Print Edition Re: TMBG: People Magazine: Print Edition TMBG: People Magazine: Print Edition Re: TMBG: People Magazine: Print Edition Re: TMBG: People Magazine: Print Edition TMBG: Brian Dohtery TMBG: SATs and They, Sort Of TMBG: non tmbg:ARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!! Re: TMBG: SATs and They, Sort Of TMBG: DIGESTion TROUBLES :) TMBG: any volunteers? TMBG:Fear & Strange but True TMBG: Curse that Vampire Slayer... TMBG: John's back in the 10 spot again...05/05/98 Re: TMBG:Fear & Strange but True Re: TMBG: Online Polls (was: TMBG: they got to linda...) TMBG: support needed for the people magazine Re: TMBG: Online Polls (was: TMBG: they got to linda...) TMBG: People Update Re: TMBG: Online Polls (was: TMBG: they got to linda...) Re: TMBG: Online Polls (was: TMBG: they got to linda...) TMBG: moshing and such Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <354EA313.C3A601C3@geocities.com> Date: Mon, 04 May 1998 22:26:45 -0700 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: TMBG: Cookies for John J Kuemmerle wrote: > --jim kuemmerle, who didn't want to say that the REAL worst case scenario > is that both votes make it in for now, but the People computers get so > confused by it that it locks the whole business up. No, the REAL worst-case scenario is that voting twice from the same master account will trigger a chain reaction that leads to the end of the Universe as we know it. (An even worse case, of course, would be if Hanson won the poll.) -- Nathan, who accidentally deleted his sig ------------------------------ Message-ID: <005101bd77e8$03bbcfc0$481e8a81@refund.rcn.nmt.edu> From: "Refund" Subject: TMBG: Tossing Linnell's cookies, and copying to .wav format Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 23:38:21 -0600 First of all, I just say delete all cookies before you vote a second time, or third, etc. Also, whoever it was that wanted to record from CD to wav format, please email me and I'll see if I can send you a CD-ripping program which is specifically designed to record from CD to wav. Please note that each wav file is HUGE! Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the state of New Mexico. And whoever said there's nothing new under the sun never thought much about individuals, but he's dead anyway. The Refreshments -- Down Together. P.S. Visit www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Amphitheatre/5550/ The first Julie Plug tribute page in HISTORY!!! :0) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 05 May 1998 09:30:58 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Woodward Subject: Re: TMBG: OH MY GOD: TMBG Offical Site updated Message-id: On Mon, 4 May 1998, Drunken Bird wrote: > Wow, they actually updated it! And I just was there last night > converting a couple of to-be Giant's heads. Huh? I'd say "updated" is a strong word.. the front page is laid out a little differently, but _none_ of the subpages have been touched. * ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Josh Woodward, CheEsy Fru. joshw@mail.bgsu.edu Web Site and Tape List: http://www.dc-adnet.com/joshw/ "We know something must happen to every dream. I don't know what will happen to the other dreams, But I know what will happen to me." --Peter Mulvey ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 08:06:53 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: OH MY GOD: TMBG Offical Site updated Message-ID: On Tue, 5 May 1998, Josh Woodward wrote: > On Mon, 4 May 1998, Drunken Bird wrote: > > > Wow, they actually updated it! And I just was there last night > > converting a couple of to-be Giant's heads. > > Huh? I'd say "updated" is a strong word.. the front page is laid out a > little differently, but _none_ of the subpages have been touched. not only that, but the link to the dial-a-song page is lifted. --jim kuemmerle, who wishes that the john heads were links, although it is awfully cool that they say 'john'... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 08:21:26 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: they got to linda... Message-ID: john linnell is still at #9 on the poll -- but something weird has happened. linda comer is totally off, madonna's at #7, and john's 200 votes behind somebody named Ric Flair... (a moment, please...) ... some professional wrestler!?!? now that's *got* to be a hoax... --jim kuemmerle, who takes back what he said about linda's supporters finding a better way to cheat... ;) j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 08:24:29 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: Interp for Window Message-ID: On Mon, 4 May 1998, Superman25 wrote: > leave to canine inspiration, but i have a passable interp for > Window. (snippa snippa) i like-a de interp!! in particular, i like the dog interp because the language in the song is almost what you'd expect from a dog with a short attention span... --jim kuemmerle, arrrooooooooo! j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 10:47:08 -0400 (EDT) From: Jish Subject: TMBG: Another Linnell idea Message-ID: I was just wondering if anybody was on any related mailing lists or newsgroups for other bands that might have a similar fan base as TMBG...if so maybe they could post to them asking to help out and vote for Johnny Jish ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980505125015.006965a8@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Tue, 05 May 1998 12:50:15 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Dialasong.com!!! I ran a whois on dialasong.com and got the following: John Flansburg (DIALASONG-DOM) P.O. Box 176 Palisades, NY 10964 US Domain Name: DIALASONG.COM Administrative Contact, Technical Contact, Zone Contact: Bicknell, Leo (LB192) bicknell@UFP.ORG (703) 430-2980 Billing Contact: Flansburg, John (JF5876) tmbg@J51.COM 914-359-4792 Record last updated on 14-Feb-98. Record created on 14-Feb-98. Database last updated on 5-May-98 03:38:14 EDT. Domain servers in listed order: USSENTERPRISE.UFP.ORG 209.12.7.40 PUMA.MACBSD.COM 198.82.200.98 BLACK-ICE.CC.VT.EDU 128.173.14.71 The InterNIC Registration Services Host contains ONLY non-military Domains and POC's. Other associated whois servers: American Registry for Internet Numbers whois server - whois.arin.net European IP Address Allocations whois server - whois.ripe.net Asia Pacific IP Address Allocations whois server - whois.apnic.net US Military whois server - whois.nic.mil I can't wait for www.dialasong.com to be up and running... ;) BTW, I thought it was FlansburgH... :P TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <354F631D.1AC4@indy.net> Date: Tue, 05 May 1998 12:06:05 -0700 From: Rachel Subject: Re: TMBG: Dialasong.com!!! Adam Tyner wrote: > > I ran a whois on dialasong.com and got the following: > > John Flansburg (DIALASONG-DOM) > P.O. Box 176 > Palisades, NY 10964 > US > Billing Contact: > Flansburg, John (JF5876) tmbg@J51.COM > 914-359-4792 hmmmm... this could come in handy.heh heh... thanks adam! lovies, rachel (who only pretends to be a stalker...) ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 14:00:21 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Cookies for John Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 4-May-98 Re: Re: TMBG: Cookies for .. by KdsInThHal@aol.com > I'm *not* going to try it, because I don't want my votes deleted. no legitimate votes are going to ever be deleted. the worst that could possibly happen is the duplicate votes get thrown out. there is no actual penalty for using a bot or a script. (i.e. if someone gets 3000 votes, but 1500 of them were from the same site, they'll end up with 1500, not 0) Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Everything sticks until it goes away, * This space inadvertently And the truth is we don't know anything." -TMBG * left blank. ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 14:13:43 -0400 Subject: TMBG:Style Art Message-ID: <19980505.141401.3270.0.gray42@juno.com> Hey everybody, Check out: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871/mensmell.gif A good friend of mine (Danielle Shockley) did this picture, and I often look at her artwork and think, man, that would look great on a TMBG album, its got the same disturbing kind of happiness. This particular pic reminds me of Chesspeice Face and the big Deleuth (don't asky why, they just do). I may be putting more of her artwork up in the future. I hope you enjoy it so check it out. Mysterio Gal (fellow Subgenius & Happy Mutant) " If there were no doorknobs nobody would be abel to open the doors. Everybody would die" --Claire (age 6) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 11:33:52 -0700 (PDT) From: John Henton Subject: Re: TMBG: they got to linda... Message-ID: > john linnell is still at #9 on the poll -- but something weird has > happened. linda comer is totally off, madonna's at #7, and john's > 200 votes behind somebody named Ric Flair... (a moment, please...) > some professional wrestler!?!? now that's *got* to be a hoax... Cool.. Maybe tonight Ric will get removed, and Linnell will be bumped up to 8 :-) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 14:42:16 -0400 (EDT) From: The Demonic Kangaroo Subject: TMBG: Sound page update! Message-ID: Hi there. I just added 9 full songs from the 4/16/98 show at Toad's Place in New Haven, CT to my page. They are: She's Actual Size - Partially slow version. Rest Awhile - Mostly understandable lyrics, including the infamous "ABC word". To All the Girls I've Loved before - Orginally recorded by Willie Nelson & Julio Iglesias, now being performed by John & John. JohnL uses a vocoder to make his coice sound robotic. Georgy Girl - Originally recorded by the Seekers, better then the version I had up previously. Dr. Worm - A great performance of the first single from the upcoming album Severe Tire Damage. Why Does the Sun Shine? - Linnell says the big F word in this one. Shoehorn with Teeth - The fast version, and the ultra-fast cd fast-forward version. :) Spider - I love this performance! The Guitar - You simply must hear this one.. big, but worth the download! And as a special bonus, I have included Particle Man from the 4/17/98 show.. It features a cover of a Blondie song in the middle. Coool! Enjoy! -Mike ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: <1af6ed4d.354f639d@aol.com> Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 15:08:12 EDT Subject: TMBG: John bitch-slaps SMG for #9! about 20 votes overnight, woo hoo!:) 1.Hank the Angry, Drunken Dwarf, 220204 votes 2.Leonardo DiCaprio, 13359 votes 3.Gillian Anderson, 6706 votes 4.Kate Winslet, 5613 votes 5.Ric Flair, 5369 6.Faye Wong, 5363 7.Michelle Kwan, 5301 8.Madonna, 5084 **9.John Linnell, 3703** 10.Sarah Michelle Gellar, 3680 11.Hanson, 3588 12.Mariah Carey, 2577 13.Hudson Leick, 2413 14.Janet Jackson, 1943 15.Lucy Lawless, 1902 16.Matt Damon, 1546 17.Eric Cartman, 895 18.Renee O'Connor, 762 19.Bill Muse, 753 20.Brad Pitt, 731 sarah ~ linnellgirl@tmbg.org ~ http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ From: BenMoobil Message-ID: <9a3ffa10.354f6f66@aol.com> Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 15:58:29 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Conversion Ahhhh conversion , you'd think living in the backwoods of alabama that would be a difficult thing well it really is not . It all started with my friends Chad,gary and cathy, the i got a guy named Chris and his brother charlie, then all at one the entire membership of a drum corps in 1992 (130 members or so) (hi we're the replacements was our corps song) then i got melissa and amanda (the lesbians ) so i guess i either to it right or just force it on till people till conversion happens . The Ben ------------------------------ From: BenMoobil Message-ID: <80c8070c.354f71ea@aol.com> Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 16:09:13 EDT Subject: TMBG:heads i was just looking at tmbg.com and does the impaled linnell and flans heads bother anyone else? The Ben ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980505152601.00693ac8@pop.indy.net> Date: Tue, 05 May 1998 15:26:01 -0400 From: rachel Subject: Re: TMBG:heads the ben wrote: >i was just looking at tmbg.com and does the impaled linnell and flans heads >bother anyone else? > agh! yes. i really hope it's just a temporary update thing, like, just to let us know whats going on. i doubt barbara (graphic designer extraordinare) would let it stay like that. maybe she's on vacation or something? lovies, rachel ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 15:25:01 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: they got to linda... Message-ID: On Tue, 5 May 1998, John Henton wrote: > > john linnell is still at #9 on the poll -- but something weird has > > happened. linda comer is totally off, madonna's at #7, and john's > > 200 votes behind somebody named Ric Flair... (a moment, please...) > > some professional wrestler!?!? now that's *got* to be a hoax... > > Cool.. Maybe tonight Ric will get removed, and Linnell will be bumped > up to 8 :-) hoax indeedy. ric "nature boy" flair is now in 4th place with 6198 votes, ahead of kate winslet, who hasn't even broken 6000 yet. all this from somebody who wasn't even on the list until yesterday? i think not. when people catches on, our boy will indeed be #8. provided sarah michelle gellar doesn't catch up again (16 vote margin)... --jim kuemmerle, who hasn't been this excited about a dark horse since the polk campaign back in the day... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 17:43:53 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <3.0.16.19980505174150.329f4d1e@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu> From: Harry Subject: TMBG: People Magazine: Print Edition Well, the actual physical magazine that started all of this hoopla came out. I plucked down the perfectly good money to buy it and not a single mention of the bizarre happenings on the related web site. Furthermore, not a single mention of Linnell (or even Hank the drunken, angry dwarf). Why give us input if only to ignore it? Also: Isn't it about damn time we re-thought beauty? Even damn person in the magazine was soo bloody perfect but with no damn soul whatsoever. Hmm. Sorry 'bout that. -Hair, who WAS number thirteen on People Magazine's Top 50 Ugliest People Website till they pulled out the bot votes. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <354F8A82.4C6AF1F1@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu> Date: Tue, 05 May 1998 16:54:10 -0500 From: Zaphod Beeblebrox Subject: Re: TMBG: People Magazine: Print Edition But did they mention the other peope on the poll, like Leo or Gillian Anderson? Did they specifically mention the poll? Or the website, or anything like that? Because if they are purposefully ignoring Linnell, who is legitimately in the top ten, I'm killing all the editors' and publishers' first born. -Creeping Death- Harry wrote: > Well, the actual physical magazine that started all of this hoopla came > out. I plucked down the perfectly good money to buy it and not a single > mention of the bizarre happenings on the related web site. > > Furthermore, not a single mention of Linnell (or even Hank the drunken, > angry dwarf). > > Why give us input if only to ignore it? > > Also: Isn't it about damn time we re-thought beauty? Even damn person in > the magazine was soo bloody perfect but with no damn soul whatsoever. > > Hmm. Sorry 'bout that. > > -Hair, who WAS number thirteen on People Magazine's Top 50 Ugliest People > Website till they pulled out the bot votes. -- "I could never sleep my way to the top because my alarm clock always wakes me right up" -They Might Be Giants- ------------------------------ From: Dr Worm X Message-ID: <8304763a.354f8aa5@aol.com> Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 17:54:44 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: People Magazine: Print Edition this is really quite an outrage. the only reason John is not there is because either the magazine doesn't know who he is, or they know, but since the general public don't know him well, they decided to ignore him. As for Hank, he was meant to do just the thing that you're talking about. It was supposed to show the people at this (unprintable)ing magazing, that this issue is the most shallow thing ever invented. This plan obviously failed, and a few people out there are going to be mi-ghty annoyed. I will never buy another issue of this magazine in my life, 100% because of this outrageous event. I'm sorry if I scared anyone with my wild rantings, but it had to be done. Matt The few surviving samurai surveyed the battle field. They count the arms, the legs, and heads, and then divide by five Simpsons quote of the post: That's what they all say; they all say "d'oh"- chief clancy wiggum http://members.aol.com/DrWormX (now with link exchange and midis!) ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9805052150.AA23826@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: People Magazine: Print Edition Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 17:50:38 -0400 (EDT) > Well, the actual physical magazine that started all of this hoopla came > out. I plucked down the perfectly good money to buy it and not a single > mention of the bizarre happenings on the related web site. > > Furthermore, not a single mention of Linnell (or even Hank the drunken, > angry dwarf). > > Why give us input if only to ignore it? > > Also: Isn't it about damn time we re-thought beauty? Even damn person in > the magazine was soo bloody perfect but with no damn soul whatsoever. > As evidenced in past People Online polls, People Online is a different entity from the printed People Magazine. Or at least as far as these polls are concerned they are. Past Online polls have not appeared in the magazine but merely on the webpage. It's nothing against John or any of the other folks on the Poll, it's just a decision by People to not put any of these Online Polls in the magazine right from the start. -Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal Message-ID: Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 18:14:33 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: People Magazine: Print Edition In a message dated 5/5/98 5:44:55 PM, knight.49@osu.edu wrote: >Well, the actual physical magazine that started all of this hoopla came >out. I plucked down the perfectly good money to buy it and not a single >mention of the bizarre happenings on the related web site. > >Furthermore, not a single mention of Linnell (or even Hank the drunken, >angry dwarf). Um, to anyone saying or thinking the same thing.. the *online* poll is completely sepearte from the *magazine* list.. I do believe that issue was out before this crap anyways. It even states on the site that it has nothing to do with the magazine. sarah ------------------------------ From: Dr Worm X Message-ID: Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 18:23:02 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: People Magazine: Print Edition whoops, "my bust" Matt The few surviving samurai surveyed the battle field, they count the arms, the legs, and heads, and then divide by five Simpsons quote of the post: Dear God, we pay for all of this stuff ourselves, so thanks for nothing.- Bart at grace http://members.aol.com/DrWormX (now with link exchange and midis!) ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 18:07:43 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Brian Dohtery Message-ID: <19980505.181137.9806.1.gray42@juno.com> I've forgotten to mention this several times but... A friend of mine went to New York to learn at a drumming school and came back with the news that he was taught by and befreiended Brian Dohtery(sp?), the ex-band member of They Might Be Giants, just in case your interested in knowing. Mysterio Gal (fellow Subgenius & Happy Mutant) " If there were no doorknobs nobody would be abel to open the doors. Everybody would die" --Claire (age 6) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980505192421.00a221d0@mail.csrlink.net> Date: Tue, 05 May 1998 19:24:21 -0400 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: TMBG: SATs and They, Sort Of Just for kicks, I took the SATs on Saturday. One of the very first few questions used the word "adamant." Just try and guess what song I couldn't get out of my head for the next four hours. (This was a pretty entertaining thread about a year ago at this time, thought I might try and revive it.) Dylan Flipse...one of them. - dflipse@csrlink.net Dylan's page is at http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ for now. I'll never see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed -They Might Be Giants, the coolest thing this side of Zaphod Beeblebrox. ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 19:03:47 -0400 Subject: TMBG: non tmbg:ARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!! Message-ID: <19980505.190406.3270.0.gray42@juno.com> Aaaah! my Windows 95' sound recorder is malfunctioning big time and I don't know why, I tried to record some They songs onto my computer by holding up the mic to the speakers of my CD player so I could reverse it and listen to it backwards. But the damn thing started acting funny, the little bar that tells you the amount you have recorded so far would not move, there was a fixed time of 13 seconds that it would allow me to record, and when I played it back it would skip horribly, in a way a CD would skip if you rubbed a metal file over the surface of the CD just before playing it. OH GOD WHAT AM I GOING TO DO W/ OUT MY AUDIO FUN! Sorry for shouting, i really needed to let it out. Please sombody, if you can, tell me wgat I need o do to fix this, if its possible. And if this has anything to do with it, my PC refuses to play my CDs which explains why I held the mic up to th speakers of my portable stereo :( Mysterio Gal (fellow Subgenius & Happy Mutant) " If there were no doorknobs nobody would be abel to open the doors. Everybody would die" --Claire (age 6) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980505234109.19626.rocketmail@web4.rocketmail.com> Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 16:41:09 -0700 (PDT) From: Danielle Gaither Subject: Re: TMBG: SATs and They, Sort Of ---Dylan Flipse wrote: > > Just for kicks, I took the SATs on Saturday. One of the very first few > questions used the word "adamant." Just try and guess what song I couldn't > get out of my head for the next four hours. (This was a pretty entertaining > thread about a year ago at this time, thought I might try and revive it.) LOL! It's good to know that I'm not the only one who events trigger TMBG songs for. Today, a friend told me I was "a mystery" and it was "impossible" at times what I was thinking. For some reason, my mental jukebox was subjected to Mr. Linnell telling me he doesn't understand me... ;) > Dylan Flipse...one of them. - dflipse@csrlink.net Danielle, inspector over the mine === URL: http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/1054/index.html "Well, we *could* just say that Americans are stupid, but that would be mean." --John Linnell _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 19:21:20 -0500 Subject: TMBG: DIGESTion TROUBLES :) Message-ID: <19980505.192835.14822.1.bnl_bff_tmbg_fan@juno.com> From: bnl_bff_tmbg_fan@juno.com (Jessica J Woletz) is anyone else having trouble w/ the digest? lately they've been so big that i can only get about half of them! i didn't even get to read the reply to the last thing i wrote (something about ideas for getting linnell votes), so if you have that could you send it to me? it's no big deal (the reply thing), but this 1/2 digest thing sucks. Jessie *Stand on your own head for a change* ~~~~~~~TMBG *But painting's creating, and I'm just erasing A crystal-clear canvas is my masterpiece*~~~~~BNL ~~~~~~~~~~~ICQ #: 1634775~~~~~~~~~~~* Visit my webpage! http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/7340 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 19:26:25 -0500 Subject: TMBG: any volunteers? Message-ID: <19980505.192835.14822.2.bnl_bff_tmbg_fan@juno.com> From: bnl_bff_tmbg_fan@juno.com (Jessica J Woletz) i mentioned the idea of sending messages to all the mailing lists your on (and all the people in your address book)...and i think it'd be good if there was just one message that you could forward to all the mailing lists, with the url of the site that you can only vote for linnell in it. if anyone feels like doing this, feel free...and email it to me, please (in case the digest cuts it off). thanks! Jessie *Stand on your own head for a change* ~~~~~~~TMBG *But painting's creating, and I'm just erasing A crystal-clear canvas is my masterpiece*~~~~~BNL ~~~~~~~~~~~ICQ #: 1634775~~~~~~~~~~~* Visit my webpage! http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/7340 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 19:50:55 -0400 Subject: TMBG:Fear & Strange but True Message-ID: <19980505.195114.3270.4.gray42@juno.com> one day my sister rented the movie Fear, and I was forced into watching it against my will. In one scene where the daughter was riding in the car with her father, she switches on the radio, and to my suprise it was Jessica, it may have been the TMBG version, which it sounded just like, or it could have been the original, I just thought it was neat, since I really love that WDTSS single (but I really hated the movie) Also, my Mom has what I consider a rare talent (at least it's something I can't do) She can tell which John is singing while listening to their music, at all times, I personally needed help from the who sings what list, I guess I can say that I also converted my folks into They fans. My dad, the history nut, loves to play James K. Polk whenever his guests come over, mainly cause he thinks they're weird for doing a song about James K. Polk in the first place, and he likes weird. Mysterio Gal (fellow Subgenius & Happy Mutant) " If there were no doorknobs nobody would be abel to open the doors. Everybody would die" --Claire (age 6) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <354FBCF7.66DB30F2@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu> Date: Tue, 05 May 1998 20:29:28 -0500 From: Zaphod Beeblebrox Subject: TMBG: Curse that Vampire Slayer... Well, Johnny's back in the 10 spot. Sarah is beating him by 7 votes. What an intense battle this has been. Rally, Giantheads, rally!! -wlick sillie- -- "I could never sleep my way to the top because my alarm clock always wakes me right up" -They Might Be Giants- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <354FC009.2837374E@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu> Date: Tue, 05 May 1998 20:42:33 -0500 From: Zaphod Beeblebrox Subject: TMBG: John's back in the 10 spot again...05/05/98 Sarah is up by 7 votes as of 8:30 PM..... We can't be consumned by our petty differences anymore. We will be united in our common interest. Perhaps it's fate that today is the Cinco de Mayo and once again we find ourselves fighting for our John. Not from tyrranny, oppression, or persecution, but from Buffy, the vampire slayer. We're fighting for our right to vote...to choose something and someone off the beaten path. And should we win the day, Cinco de Mayo will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day when the world declared in one voce 'we will not go quietly into the night', we will not vanish off the top ten list without a fight, we're going to live on, we're going to survive...today, we celebrate Cinco de Mayo!!! -Cap'n Lou Albano- "I could never sleep my way to the top because my alarm clock always wakes me right up" -They Might Be Giants- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980505191533.006a3600@pop.ben2.ucla.edu> Date: Tue, 05 May 1998 19:15:33 +0000 From: Josh Morgan Subject: Re: TMBG:Fear & Strange but True At 07:50 PM 5/5/98 -0400, you wrote: >one day my sister rented the movie Fear, and I was forced into watching >it against my will. In one scene where the daughter was riding in the car >with her father, she switches on the radio, and to my suprise it was >Jessica, it may have been the TMBG version, which it sounded just like, >or it could have been the original, I just thought it was neat, since I >really love that WDTSS single (but I really hated the movie) Yet again, someone makes mention of a TMBG song at the exact time that I'm listening to it!! I love Jessica... the song i mean. I had a similar movie/song experience with "field of dreams". the allmen bros. version of jessica palys when kevin costner's character is driving across country in his VW bus. twas very cool. josh ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001401bd789c$0dd16560$05c4f6ce@idiotnot.visi.net> From: "S. Bergeron" Subject: Re: TMBG: Online Polls (was: TMBG: they got to linda...) Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 23:07:04 -0400 : :> > john linnell is still at #9 on the poll -- but something weird has :> > happened. linda comer is totally off, madonna's at #7, and john's :> > 200 votes behind somebody named Ric Flair... (a moment, please...) :> > some professional wrestler!?!? now that's *got* to be a hoax... :> :> Cool.. Maybe tonight Ric will get removed, and Linnell will be bumped :> up to 8 :-) : :hoax indeedy. ric "nature boy" flair is now in 4th place with 6198 votes, :ahead of kate winslet, who hasn't even broken 6000 yet. all this from :somebody who wasn't even on the list until yesterday? i think not. : :when people catches on, our boy will indeed be #8. : :provided sarah michelle gellar doesn't catch up again (16 vote margin)... 1. On-line polls aren't worth their weight in manure. 2. We stuff the My Classic Car polls with AMC votes from the AMC-List all the time. Seems that there are a lot more people who love Gremlin X's than Camaros. :-) 3. Much as I hate to say it, I'd much rather bang Sarah Michelle Gellar, Lucy Lawless, Gillian Anderson, or Kate Winslet than John Linnell...sorry. Flame an old lister, why dontcha? C'mon, AOL'ers, it'll be fun! Jack Bergeron idiotnot@visi.net bluedawg@tmbg.org http://www.monopuff.org/~bluedawg "As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way."--Jack Handy ICQ#5909618 ------------------------------ From: msj4@cornell.edu Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 23:22:33 -0400 (EDT) Subject: TMBG: support needed for the people magazine Message-ID: right not john linnell is still number 9, but with little comfort in his lead. sarah michelle gellard is breathing down his throat, behind two votes. so try voting some more. and hanson (god forbid they make a resurgence) are number 11 and only 110 votes behind! :( ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980506032232.20201.rocketmail@web4.rocketmail.com> Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 20:22:32 -0700 (PDT) From: Danielle Gaither Subject: Re: TMBG: Online Polls (was: TMBG: they got to linda...) ---"S. Bergeron" wrote: > 1. On-line polls aren't worth their weight in manure. True. That may be why it won't kill me if (gasp!) our boy doesn't make it in. It's not going to change *my* opinion. > 3. Much as I hate to say it, I'd much rather bang Sarah Michelle Gellar, > Lucy Lawless, Gillian Anderson, or Kate Winslet than John Linnell...sorry. I understand that, but beauty isn't necessarily about who you'd prefer to bang. I'm sure John Linnell would also prefer that you bang Sarah, Lucy, or Kate than him. ;) You know what the really sad thing is? If we knew a Linnell-type (and not being rabid fans of his music) in real life, we probably wouldn't give him a second look. > Jack Bergeron idiotnot@visi.net bluedawg@tmbg.org Danielle, inspector over the mine === URL: http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/1054/index.html "Well, we *could* just say that Americans are stupid, but that would be mean." --John Linnell _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980506034654.20263.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Jason F." Subject: TMBG: People Update Date: Tue, 05 May 1998 20:46:54 PDT As of 11:45 Tuesday night, John's in 9th place, 5 ahed of Buffy. Ric Flair is in 3rd so you know there's something wrong. --Jason-- "Hot Cha, where are you? Everybody's eyes are closed." -They Might Be Giants ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 21:57:20 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Online Polls (was: TMBG: they got to linda...) Message-ID: On Tue, 5 May 1998, S. Bergeron wrote: > 1. On-line polls aren't worth their weight in manure. agreed, but it's none-too-shabby publicity... (how many of us now know who faye wong and sarah michelle gellar are? i for one will investigate faye wong's stuff as soon as i get the chance. maybe there's a little cross over the other direction too!) > 2. We stuff the My Classic Car polls with AMC votes from the AMC-List all > the time. Seems that there are a lot more people who love Gremlin X's than > Camaros. :-) (double-take:) american movie classics? huh?? > 3. Much as I hate to say it, I'd much rather bang Sarah Michelle Gellar, > Lucy Lawless, Gillian Anderson, or Kate Winslet than John Linnell...sorry. :P and i'm sure they'd appreciate the sentiment. --jim kuemmerle, giving in to the dark side... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001001bd78ab$0680ffa0$12c4f6ce@idiotnot.visi.net> From: "S. Bergeron" Subject: Re: TMBG: Online Polls (was: TMBG: they got to linda...) Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 00:53:29 -0400 :> 1. On-line polls aren't worth their weight in manure. : :agreed, but it's none-too-shabby publicity... (how many of us now know :who faye wong and sarah michelle gellar are? i for one will investigate :faye wong's stuff as soon as i get the chance. maybe there's a little :cross over the other direction too!) Anybody who frequents 7-11, and saw the recent Rolling Stone, can't help but know who Sarah Michelle Gellar is! Almost as awe-inspiring as the Demi Moore cover a couple of years back. :> 2. We stuff the My Classic Car polls with AMC votes from the AMC-List all :> the time. Seems that there are a lot more people who love Gremlin X's than :> Camaros. :-) : :(double-take:) american movie classics? huh?? AMC=American Motors Corporation. Formed by the merger of Nash and Hudson in 1954. Known as Rambler during the late '50's until the mid-to-late '60's. Produced such notable cars as: the Hornet, the Gremlin, the Pacer (featured in Wayne's World), the Eagle, and many various Jeeps. Gobbled up by Chrysler in a hostile takover in 1987. My favorite automaker. If you're interested in some of their strange, but cool automobiles, check out www.amxfiles.com . AMC fans share some of the same kind of "quirkiness" that TMBG fans possess. :-) :> 3. Much as I hate to say it, I'd much rather bang Sarah Michelle Gellar, :> Lucy Lawless, Gillian Anderson, or Kate Winslet than John Linnell...sorry. : ::P and i'm sure they'd appreciate the sentiment. Well, I'd hope so. My girlfriend probably doesn't...but she can't even run AOL on her computer, so she won't find out. :-) Besides, we don't want to start another "They Might Be Gay +AOL is so kewl!" thread, now do we? Jack Bergeron idiotnot@visi.net bluedawg@tmbg.org http://www.monopuff.org/~bluedawg "As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way."--Jack Handy ICQ#5909618 ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 01:40:06 +0100 From: beknowles@vassar.edu (Ben Knowles) Subject: TMBG: moshing and such Message-id: <01IWP1Y77MOY00G9J2@VASSAR.EDU> >> they just got pissed when they threw the shoe on stage "if ya >> wanna see the show end real quick, throw the other one." Hehee... the >> naked dude in the pit was interesting. >> on a side note... i saw the kid that got his shoe thrown on stage begging >> a security guard after the show to get it back... >> >> why can't they come out west again!!! >> > >heh. we easterners seem to be a mild lot, in comparison--maybe that's >why. ;) actually, the most violent tmbg show i've ever been to was last year at Irving Plaza, in Their home town of new york city. the crowd was just ridiculously violent, and the johns didn't make so much of a peep about it. maybe cuz they knew it was new yorkers they were dealing with. personally, i like a certain amount of rowdiness at They shows. hardcore moshing is dumb, but there's nothing wrong with crowd-surfing. and the conga line is going to cause rowdiness no matter what. i always find that the crowd is divided into two extremes: the mosh pit, and the non-moshers who are just standing there straight-faced and unmoving, trying as hard as possible not to touch anybody. what's up with that? moshers need to chill (or mosh a bit more politely) and everyone else needs to loosen up and get excited. by the way, has anyone else made the observation that tmbg fans tend to be almost universally shorter than average? i'm 6'2", and i always feel like the tallest person at their shows. i feel bad, but... well duh, there's not much i can do about it is there? i'm gonna go check the people online poll once more and then go to bed. cheers, ben *%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%* | | | "Every jumbled pile of person Ben Knowles - Vassar College | | has a thinking part that wonders beknowles@vassar.edu | | what the part that isn't thinking Physics - Astronomy | | isn't thinking of." - TMBG Philosophy - Metaphysics | | | *%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%* ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #6-6 ****************************