Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #7-10 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 7, Number 10 Wednesday, 10 June 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: pretty goshdarn non-tmbgish NON-TMBG: Length of Live Albums TMBG: just venting... Re: NON-TMBG: Length of Live Albums Re: TMBG: just venting... TMBG: just venting | live albums | opening bands | accordions TMBG: Istanbul Live Re: TMBG: just venting | live albums | opening bands | accordions Non TMBG: Donkey Kong Country 1 TMBG: Greetings from a newcomer Re: TMBG: Greetings from a newcomer Re:TMBG: just venting... Re: TMBG: just venting... TMBG: Mono Puff: At Newbury Comics Re: TMBG: just venting... Re: TMBG: Greetings from a newcomer Re: TMBG: Istanbul Live Re: TMBG: Greetings from a newcomer TMBG: Re: NoN+TMbG!:- Quest for Elevation Re: TMBG: Re: NoN+TMbG!:- Quest for Elevation Re: TMBG: Re: NoN+TMbG!:- Quest for Elevation Re: TMBG: STD Tracks.... TMBG: Re: NoN+TMbG!:- Quest for Elevation TMBG: Re: NoN+TMbG!:- Quest for Elevation TMBG: Re: NoN+TMbG!:- Quest for Elevation (none) Re: TMBG: Re: NoN+TMbG!:- Quest for Elevation Re: TMBG: STD TMBG: Spy on STD? Re: TMBG: Re: NoN+TMbG!:- Quest for Elevation Re: TMBG: Spy on STD? Re: TMBG: Re: NoN+TMbG!:- Quest for Elevation Re: TMBG: just venting... Re: TMBG: Re: NoN+TMbG!:- Quest for Elevation TMBG: Re:NoN+TMbG!:- Quest for Elevation Re: TMBG: Re:NoN+TMbG!:- Quest for Elevation Re: TMBG: Re:NoN+TMbG!:- Quest for Elevation Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <9806090649.AA18475@willis.williams.edu> Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 02:54:23 +0100 From: sfbk@willis.williams.edu (Ben Knowles) Subject: TMBG: pretty goshdarn non-tmbgish >adam schaaf, who just downloaded the nes emulator and is about to kick >butt on ninja gaiden. yes!!! you rock, my friend. that's my favorite nes game ever. never was cool enough to beat it though - only got to like the third end guy or whatever. fuckin' wack-ass hard ending. >6) The guy who said Candy Butchers is the worst band ever needs to eat >some kitty litter. Lots of it. okay, i must apologize for this, i've made a mistake. i _liked_ the candy butchers - they did "Beat It" during the stump the band section, as i recall. the band i was thinking of was the chainsaw kittens who opened for They at irving plaza, march '97 - they were painfully bad. and yet still i was lying when i said they were the worst opening band - "birdboy" in iowa city was so bad the crowd was throwing ice cubes at him. he responded by cranking the amp up way loud and ripping his banjo strings out. gawd, it was awful. mmm... kitty litter. got milk? ben ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19980609000645.0073d0a0@mailbox.ucdavis.edu> Date: Tue, 09 Jun 1998 00:07:28 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: NON-TMBG: Length of Live Albums >I think RS would've been a lot better if it had been a double CD. Just >MHO. :) Yes! Portable EFO Show, the new Eddie From Ohio live CD, rocks especially hard for exactly this reason--it's a double CD set! It's as long as a real EFO show and includes their loooong live standards (I Know You Rider/Turn On Your Love Light takes them about 7 minutes, for example.) And it's so nice to have the full version of The Bridge, complete with Eddie's 5-minute-long drum solo (note to non-Edheads--much MUCH *MUCH* less boring than it sounds. Second note to non-Edheads--GO SEE THEM RIGHT NOW. I'M NOT KIDDING.) I was soooo happy they decided to release it as a double CD rather than cut songs. >Linnell said Older would not be on STD, alas... all we know for sure >will be on there is a studio version of Dr. Worm and a live version of >TMBG Got Lost. Aroo? (Scooby-Doo-type questioning noise, in case you couldn't tell.) A *studio* version of Dr. Worm on STD? Odd... Wonder why they're putting it on STD instead of on the forthcoming studio album? >2) On the Drag was recorded as a studio version but Pat Dillett was not >satisfied with the chorus, "on the drag....bum bum bum" because it >lacked something. Is it true that it was changed from a pounding rock song (i.e. version on the FS Studio Sessions) to a folky-type song? >3) Finished with Lies wasn't recorded for STD. Linnell wants to save it >for a real album. He also wants to save Certain People for a real album >as well. Goody, "Certain People" will finally see the light of day. :) Anyone know if "What Is Everybody Staring At?/Two People In Love" (or whatever we're calling it...) will make it on? *hope* >5) The "Greatest Hits" include Birdhouse, Ana Ng, and Istanbul. Whoa, back up. "Greatest Hits"? TMBG's putting out a greatest hits album? >6) The guy who said Candy Butchers is the worst band ever needs to eat >some kitty litter. Lots of it. Are they ever releasing their record? Last I heard was a vague rumor that it'd been bought by someone or something and had a vague chance of being actually released... anyone know? I was much impressed by "Give Me A Second Chance (For Christmas)". >the live portion would contain all the Planet of the Apes songs. (I don't >remember if there were 5 or 6 of these, anyone out there keep count?) Cool! I've not seen any Planet of the Apes battles. :( > I don't think they are >going to make it a 2 disc set (unfortunately), but it will probably be 1 full >disc (65+ mins.) *snort* We wish. :) --nicole the wonder nerd *** "If the Starship Enterprise came by and beamed me to Jupiter, I'd have three arms!"--my physics professor Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn ICQ #11984736 Public PGP key at http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn/key.html ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 09 Jun 98 13:22:23 CET From: "ingalls, christopher" Message-Id: <9805098974.AA897423731@smtpgw.nsa.naples.navy.mil> Subject: TMBG: just venting... Thanks to Leonard Helfgott's recommendation, I found the "cdnow" website in an attempt to locate the "I Palindrome I" CD single (they didn't have it...oh well). They did, however, have a "recommended if you like" link. Basically, a list of other CDs that you might like if you're a fan of that band (in this case, TMBG). Among the list of recommendations were the obvious ones (Mono Puff, etc.), and I couldn't help moticing that there were several Weird Al Yankovic discs listed. I previously noticed other internet sites where TMBG fans were noting this same "similarity" and couldn't help feeling pretty aggravated by this comparison. Sorry folks, Weird Al is nowhere near the same league as John and John. He takes popular songs and changes the words. Big deal. I could do that. It's basically taking karaoke one step further. The Johns are two extremely gifted, talented and unique individuals making brilliant music. Apart from the "accordian factor" and the Dr. Demento appearances, that comparison holds no water for me and is an insult to "Brooklyn's Ambassadors of Love." Just venting a little anger, folks. I hope someone out there agrees with me. Thanks, Chris ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980609100402.006a1c70@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Tue, 09 Jun 1998 10:04:02 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Length of Live Albums At 12:07 AM 6/9/98 -0700, Nicole the Wonder Nerd wrote: > >Aroo? (Scooby-Doo-type questioning noise, in case you couldn't tell.) A >*studio* version of Dr. Worm on STD? Odd... Wonder why they're putting it >on STD instead of on the forthcoming studio album? To have an excuse to release it as the first single, I guess. :) >Whoa, back up. "Greatest Hits"? TMBG's putting out a greatest hits album? No...the Restless page made it sound like STD would be mostly a "greatest hits, live" album. >*snort* We wish. :) I doubt it'll be more than 45 or 50 minutes. (sigh) -Adam /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980609101715.006a3600@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Tue, 09 Jun 1998 10:17:15 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: just venting... At 01:22 PM 6/9/98 CET, ingalls, christopher wrote: > > Thanks to Leonard Helfgott's recommendation, I found the "cdnow" > website in an attempt to locate the "I Palindrome I" CD single (they > didn't have it...oh well). They did, however, have a "recommended if Give up. :) Some of us on this list have literally been looking for that CD for 3 or 4 years... You might find it at a local record store, but the chances of you finding it on the 'net are pretty slim. > you like" link. Basically, a list of other CDs that you might like if > you're a fan of that band (in this case, TMBG). Among the list of > recommendations were the obvious ones (Mono Puff, etc.), and I > couldn't help moticing that there were several Weird Al Yankovic discs > listed. I previously noticed other internet sites where TMBG fans were > noting this same "similarity" and couldn't help feeling pretty > aggravated by this comparison. Sorry folks, Weird Al is nowhere near > the same league as John and John. He takes popular songs and changes > the words. Big deal. I could do that. It's basically taking karaoke > one step further. The Johns are two extremely gifted, talented and You obviously know absolutely NOTHING about "Weird Al". Where to start... 1) Al has a very talented band. It's not karaoke. 2) Only around half of Al's songs are parodies. 3) You think you could do that? Feel free to try. Notice that when you think of musical parodies, usually only one name comes to mind. ;) 4) Al is a much, much, much, much, much better accordion player than John. There ought not be any debate here... I really am quite sick of seeing of seeing posts of people flaming Al. If you don't like him or his music (mostly people who haven't listened to a single one of his many albums), don't listen to him, for Christ's sake! BTW, you'll find that there's a lot of reciprocity between Al and TMBG fans. In fact, Al himself is a TMBG fan and recorded a tribute to them called "Everything You Know Is Wrong" for Bad Hair Day. You'll find many of the same people posting on alt.music.weird-al and alt.music.tmbg. > unique individuals making brilliant music. Apart from the "accordian It's 'accordion', or at least that's what's on the documentation that came with mine... > factor" and the Dr. Demento appearances, that comparison holds no > water for me and is an insult to "Brooklyn's Ambassadors of Love." How is it an insult? > Just venting a little anger, folks. I hope someone out there agrees > with me. There probably are a few people that agree with you, but by and large, TMBG fans tend not to be so ignorant. -Adam /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <4f49e061.357d6861@aol.com> Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 12:52:47 EDT Subject: TMBG: just venting | live albums | opening bands | accordions alright, i'm condensing here.. ~~ In a message dated 6/9/98 7:23:25 AM, chris wrote: >I > couldn't help moticing that there were several Weird Al Yankovic discs > listed. I previously noticed other internet sites where TMBG fans were > noting this same "similarity" and couldn't help feeling pretty > aggravated by this comparison. Sorry folks, Weird Al is nowhere near > the same league as John and John. He takes popular songs and changes > the words. Big deal. I could do that. It's basically taking karaoke > one step further. The Johns are two extremely gifted, talented and > unique individuals making brilliant music. Apart from the "accordian > factor" and the Dr. Demento appearances, that comparison holds no > water for me and is an insult to "Brooklyn's Ambassadors of Love." > Just venting a little anger, folks. I hope someone out there agrees > with me. I do. I'd write more than 2 words here (well, ok, i already did) to support my answer, but you already said it. i know many people here like weird al here and that's fine, but i think it's ludicrous to compare the *music* and say it's similar. it's like, just because there's a lot of us who like TMBG & BNL, it's like saying their music is similar. it's not. oh, excuse me, there's an *accordion*. that makes them the same. :P adam wrote: > 1) Al has a very talented band. It's not karaoke. > 2) Only around half of Al's songs are parodies. > 3) You think you could do that? Feel free to try. > Notice that when you think of musical parodies, usually only > one name comes to mind. ;) > 4) Al is a much, much, much, much, much > better accordion player than John. There ought not be any debate > here... > > I really am quite sick of seeing of seeing posts of people flaming > Al. If you don't like him or his music (mostly people who haven't > listened to a single one of his many albums), don't listen to him, > for Christ's sake! i don't listen to him, i'm just commenting on what i see music reviewers do.. i am not saying al isn't talented, i'm not saying all his music is/are parodys, i'm not flaming him. i don't hate him (it's hard to seriously hate a silly guy in a hawaiian shirt and frizzy hair). but.. oh, how can i phrase this... well.. ok, you don't find TMBG albums in the comedy section of the music store. at least i don't. ~~ In a message dated 6/9/98 3:08:07 AM, nicole twn wrote: >>I think RS would've been a lot better if it had been a double CD. Just >>MHO. :) > >Yes! Portable EFO Show, the new Eddie From Ohio live CD, rocks especially >hard for exactly this reason--it's a double CD set! ani difranco's live album i wasn't real enthusiastic to get (mostly because i'd been used to BNL's live album and didn't think live albums were all that exciting) - but i got it anyways and regretted not buying it earlier. it's great! and it's a 2-disc. ~~ worst opening band: (enter some quoted text here from any previous post about chainsaw kittens or double dong) I'd have to say the worst opening band I've ever seen (yes, ironically, opening for TMBG) was Goatboy. what, have we forgotten about him? I can't say i've seen those other bands - 2 out of 3 times i saw lincoln, yay! but Goatboy sucked in ways i can't even describe.. ~~ adam wrote: >It's 'accordion', or at least that's what's on the documentation that came with mine... LOL, okay, i've always thought it was 'accordian', so i went to go look at some TMBG liner notes just now to make sure ;) and - yes - adam is right (not that i was positive you were wrong!) *but* as a side note, did you know that the word 'accordion' is *nowhere* to be found on any TMBG LP notes? :p I finally found it on WDTSS. if anyone can prove me wrong, go ahead (i was looking fast) but in the "THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS ARE:" portions, for Linnell it just says "vocals, keyboards, horns". :T hmm. i've never noticed that. sarah~ linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot@aol.com Message-ID: <48e9acea.357d6e21@aol.com> Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 13:17:20 EDT Subject: TMBG: Istanbul Live Well, let me just say, there are good live versions of Istanbul & there are live versions of Istanbul I could probably live without. Back in 1992, I thought the live versions of Istanbul sounded sort of dry. In 1994, when the horn section was added, there were many good live versions of Istanbul recorded (occasionally a tired version, but the horns could usually perk it up). Recently, in 1998, without the horn section, the John's have spiced up the ol' dry 1992 hornless Istanbul & to me, although not as good as when we had those horns with their cool intros & occassionally a ska-esque jam session, Istanbul has become a very good live song. Although, I'd prefer a John Henry era Istanbul, I could go for a more recent version....a 1992 version I could live without...oh, & since we all knew this was sort of a "live greatest hits" album, is it any surprise that it's on there? I don't think so...if it has "the greatest hits," the following should be on it: Don't Let's Start, Ana Ng, Birdhouse, Istanbul, Particle Man, SEXXY, Snail Shell, Hotel Detective, Purple Toupee, They'll Need a Crane, WDTSS?, I Palindrome I, The Guitar... I think that covers all the singles...I actually almost forgot about Apollo 18....almost.... jason "I'm not a real Dr." glastetter ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <4541aaeb.357d6f17@aol.com> Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 13:21:26 EDT Subject: Re: Re: TMBG: just venting | live albums | opening bands | accordions In a message dated 6/9/98 12:12:20 PM, ja0022@drake.edu wrote: >Do you remember the Miscellaneous T album and why they titled it that?!?!?! yeaaaaaah... what's your point? they didn't title it "misc. humour"... >And to tell you the truth I never find Weird Al in the comedy section of >music stores. I find Weird Al albums in the same section I find TMBG >albums and it's NEVER the comedy section!! I have never nor will I ever >see a Weird Al album in the comedy section. well where i live, that's where he's filed in all the stores. sarah ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 13:08:56 -0400 Subject: Non TMBG: Donkey Kong Country 1 Message-ID: <19980609.130914.3422.0.gray42@juno.com> Yes, I know thjis is WAY off topic, but I figured in as group of about 200 people with a lot in common, at least one person would be able to help me out. In The begining of the first Donkey Kong Country game (you know, the 3-d type one for SNES.) there's a special code phrase that l;ets you listen to all the game music, w/out having to play the game. I remember Barral that gives you 50 lives, but that's in, does anyone know, please help me. BTW, Donkey Kong Country came out with a music CD, I know because a kid from my school brought it and showed a percentage of us (art class, figures) i've been loking everywhere for it, and cannot seem to find it, does anyone else in the club also like vidio game music? Mysterio Gal (bleep boop beep beep boing) " Have I been there? I live there! I made The School, I am The School! Anything that goes on there, they tell me first, I'm the boss, I control what goes on in the whole place. If you want to take a piss, you gotta ask me first." --Pitts ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: mike12da@cyberwaves.com (Mike Mcguire) Subject: TMBG: Greetings from a newcomer Date: Tue, 09 Jun 1998 18:39:40 GMT Message-Id: <897417580@cyberwaves.com> Organization: SYNERGY RESOURCES, INC. Hello, My name is Mike, and I'm new here. This is my first post. Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm 18 in Houston TX, going to UNT in Denton TX next fall. I like TMBG very much. They make me smile. And that's who I am. Thank you. *Mike* ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 09 Jun 1998 13:48:57 -0600 From: The Pope Subject: Re: TMBG: Greetings from a newcomer Message-id: At 6:39 PM +0000 6/9/98, Mike Mcguire wrote: >Hello, My name is Mike, and I'm new here. >This is my first post. Just wanted to introduce myself. >I'm 18 in Houston TX, going to UNT in Denton TX next fall. >I like TMBG very much. They make me smile. >And that's who I am. Thank you. >*Mike* Greetings and Salutations Mike, I to am a newcomer. The names Jason. From Iowa. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <357D4DE7.38C19BA@mix-net.net> Date: Tue, 09 Jun 1998 14:59:56 +0000 From: "Chris \"Feeny\" Campbell" Subject: Re:TMBG: just venting... [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (message/rfc822)] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980609150253.006a5384@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Tue, 09 Jun 1998 15:02:53 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: just venting... At 02:58 PM 6/9/98 +0000, Chris \"Feeny\" Campbell wrote: > >Here's the debate... > > Al is a good musician, I own 2 albums (Bad Hair Day, Even Worse). You CAN'T >compare Al and John as accordionists!!! I personally think john is better, Al >is ok, but not better. I heard, from a weird al page years ago, that Al started >playing the accordion because of John. No debate from now on, Just my 1 and a >half sense. Sorry, Al started playing accordion in elementary school. :) I completely disagree about John being a better accordion player. He tends to stay on the higher part of the keyboard and rarely (if ever) uses the bass buttons. If you've ever heard Al live, his accordion playing is rich and full, while John's is kind of "whiny". Also, Al's had professional instruction, while John just sort of picked it up. I love and respect John, but as an amateur accordion player myself, there's no comparison in my mind as to who's better. -Adam /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <357D5041.18AD8D03@mix-net.net> Date: Tue, 09 Jun 1998 15:09:58 +0000 From: "Chris \"Feeny\" Campbell" Subject: TMBG: Mono Puff: At Newbury Comics I After buying my copy of IFTS (which I LOVE), I wen't back a week later (to Newbury Comics) and no more IFTS?! I asked the guy If he had bought a copy (he likes TMBG+Mono Puff) and said he was waiting for a promo copy. After talking he said they (The main office of Newbury Comics) had put it in the "Sounds from the Underground" section, this means that it is at all? the N C stores in that "special" section! :-) Anyone work at Newbury? Anyone know how that section works? -- -Chris "fEenY" Campbell ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ TMBG SHRINE! Http://www.mix-net.net/~ccampbell E-mail - ccampbell@mix-net.net Or At - feeny@tmbg.org ----"No one understands, No one knows my plan" -John Linnell, ----"A note to myself, do the dumb things I gotta do, touch the puppet head" -John Flansburgh They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ From: BrthrJuan@aol.com Message-ID: <344b590a.357d8f6a@aol.com> Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 15:39:21 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: just venting... >> Al is a good musician, I own 2 albums (Bad Hair Day, Even Worse). You CAN'T >>compare Al and John as accordionists!!! I personally think john is better, Al >>is ok, but not better. I heard, from a weird al page years ago, that Al started >>playing the accordion because of John. No debate from now on, Just my 1 and a >>half sense. umm...this is an odd statement about al playing because of him. weird al has been playing the accordian since he was a kid. on his box set, there are recordings of him when he was younger playing in his garage at home with the accordian. just thought i would clear that up. as for his music....i personally like wierd al. he has (in my opinion) the greatest range of any singer (save maybe freddie mercury). he can sing both extremes, from low to high, and does both extremely well. as for the music, he does it all. he does not take away vocal tracks and sing over what is still there. his band and he re-does them all, in fact, there are many differences between his versions, and the real ones. oh well..enouhg about this from me, i am a bit on the biased side. aaron ------------------------------ From: Monotreme3@aol.com Message-ID: <293da722.357d908b@aol.com> Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 15:44:10 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Greetings from a newcomer In a message dated 6/9/98 2:42:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time, mike12da@cyberwaves.com writes: > Hello, My name is Mike, and I'm new here. > This is my first post. Just wanted to introduce myself. > I'm 18 in Houston TX, going to UNT in Denton TX next fall. > I like TMBG very much. They make me smile. > And that's who I am. Thank you. > *Mike* Awwwww, why not Rice? (To add They content hear... um... there's lots of TMBG fans there, including Jacob, the guy who introduced me to 'em.) -Carey ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 15:43:49 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Istanbul Live Message-ID: <19980609.154908.11118.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> >Don't Let's Start, Ana Ng, Birdhouse, Istanbul, Particle Man, SEXXY, >Snail >Shell, Hotel Detective, Purple Toupee, They'll Need a Crane, WDTSS?, I >Palindrome I, The Guitar... i skimmed over my collection and basing it purely off of what they've been playing at the shows *recently* (STD tour) i'd have to say that neither hotel detective, purple toupee, they'll need a crane, or I palindrome I will be on there... heh, i don't see snail shell showing up that much either... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::i finally got You Will Go To The Moon! YAY!::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: "Drunken Bird" Organization: Columbus State Univ.,Columbus, Ga. Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 17:52:56 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Greetings from a newcomer Message-ID: <27B1A466674@colstate.edu> Mike Mcguire wrote: > >And that's who I am. Thank you. > > Greetings and Salutations Mike, > > I to am a newcomer. The names Jason. From Iowa. *stands up from chari and says very solemly* "Hello, I am Jason, and I am TMB Head" *sits down knowing that admiting to it is the first step................................................................. to becoming a BIGGER TMB Head:) - Drunken "oh, so that is what the sun looks like" Bird DrunkenBird@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 17:57:40 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Re: NoN+TMbG!:- Quest for Elevation Message-ID: <19980609.175741.3814.0.djMagma@juno.com> From: djmagma@juno.com (Davin Q. Hutchingstone) OK listies, listen up! There are a lot of intelligent people on the list, and I need to tap this resource. Recently, I got into some trouble. (I did 20 hits of acid and my parents found out.) Well, the depression has dissipated, but now I want to become a better person. I've stopped doing drugs. (But I may do some creatine in the future... Who wants a skinny guy?) I am going to be more noble. I will be sensitive and good. I don't want to be understood. Anyway, the main reason for my post is that I need some recommendations for good books. Very intelligent, fun, philosophical books. (NO Ayn Rand!!!!!!!!!) What's that Hitchhikers Guide Book like? Everyone always talks about their favorite books and authors, so if you have any ideas, let me know. Thanks! -The new, improved Hutch! "I'm good now, honest!" _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 09 Jun 1998 17:14:25 -0600 From: The Pope Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: NoN+TMbG!:- Quest for Elevation Message-id: mmmmm...The Hitchhikers Guide to the Universe and the world screams KISS ME, SON OF GOD ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 15:14:58 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: NoN+TMbG!:- Quest for Elevation Message-ID: personally, I don't see the correlation between doing drugs and reading books, but the Hitchikers Guide is really good. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <357DB452.4D1F@geocities.com> Date: Tue, 09 Jun 1998 15:16:50 -0700 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: STD Tracks.... The Li'l Depressed Boy wrote: > > >p.p.s. Mike Leffel for President 2000 (Let's mount the Write-In campaign > now :)) > >p.p.p.s. Anyone got a Mike Leffel for Pres. 2000 slogan? > > > > "I scream, you scream, we all scream when pandas mate with our faces on > Sunday." -- Mike Leffel, Thanxgiving 1998. Hah! That's the quote I've been signing people's annuals at school with! Everyone loves it... -- Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* "Is everything normal now?" "And crawling on the "Well, he hasn't got planet's face... some religious mania, and he's called the Human Race. not running around in a Lost in time, and lost circle spouting Gilbert in space... and Sullivan, so I guess ...and meaning." he's normal." ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Re: NoN+TMbG!:- Quest for Elevation Message-ID: <19980608.183757.7887.4.winningh@juno.com> From: winningh@juno.com (Winningham S. Sarah) Date: Tue, 09 Jun 1998 18:36:43 EDT On Tue, 9 Jun 1998 17:57:40 -0400 djmagma@juno.com (Davin Q. Hutchingstone) writes: >Anyway, the main reason for my post is that I need >some recommendations for good books. >Very intelligent, fun, philosophical books. >(NO Ayn Rand!!!!!!!!!) >What's that Hitchhikers Guide Book like? Hitchhikers excellent; also reccomend The Princess Bride-William Goldman The Last Unicorn-Peter Beagle The Never-Ending Story-Michael Ende Anything by Ursula K. LeGuin but especially the certified life-changing The Dispossessed, The Left Hand of Darkness, or The Eye of the Heron A Winter's Tale-Mark Helprin I could go on, and on, and on Sarah Winningham _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Re: NoN+TMbG!:- Quest for Elevation Message-ID: <19980608.184048.7887.5.winningh@juno.com> From: winningh@juno.com (Winningham S. Sarah) Date: Tue, 09 Jun 1998 18:39:11 EDT On Tue, 9 Jun 1998 17:57:40 -0400 djmagma@juno.com (Davin Q. Hutchingstone) writes: >Anyway, the main reason for my post is that I need >some recommendations for good books. >Very intelligent, fun, philosophical books. >(NO Ayn Rand!!!!!!!!!) >What's that Hitchhikers Guide Book like? Hitchhikers excellent; also reccomend The Princess Bride-William Goldman The Last Unicorn-Peter Beagle The Never-Ending Story-Michael Ende Anything by Ursula K. LeGuin but especially the certified life-changing The Dispossessed, The Left Hand of Darkness, or The Eye of the Heron A Winter's Tale-Mark Helprin I could go on, and on, and on Sarah Winningham _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 18:27:43 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Re: NoN+TMbG!:- Quest for Elevation Message-ID: <19980609.182753.3406.0.gray42@juno.com> Ah BOOKS, BOOKS YOU SAY AH Hitchhikers: The greatest darn book series comedy deal ever written. Read the entire series and read it a few times, you'll be glad you did. Hitchhikers is GENIUS. Not only should you read it, you should get the T.V. series from the library, find the radio tapes, get the original radio scripts, get the guide to the guide, the Illustrated book, the towels, the vidio game, the records, for each thing the story spans farther, gets wilder, contradicts itself even more. I am personally a large Michael Crichton fan, sure he's one of those blockbuster thriller writers to the untrained eye. But I found that I've learned alot from his books, especially Sphere, and his autobiography Travels. Another, very good book. Mysterio Gal (fellow Subgenius & Happy Mutant) " Have I been there? I live there! I made The School, I am The School! Anything that goes on there, they tell me first, I'm the boss, I control what goes on in the whole place. If you want to take a piss, you gotta ask me first." --Pitts ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980609230416.28623.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Date: Tue, 09 Jun 1998 16:04:15 PDT I need a TMBG Win95 theme fast!!! Pleases, can someone help me out???? Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." -Hunter S. Thompson "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980609233552.00687510@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Tue, 09 Jun 1998 18:35:52 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: NoN+TMbG!:- Quest for Elevation >Anyway, the main reason for my post is that I need >some recommendations for good books. >Very intelligent, fun, philosophical books. >(NO Ayn Rand!!!!!!!!!) >What's that Hitchhikers Guide Book like? >Everyone always talks about their favorite books and authors, >so if you have any ideas, let me know. > First off, Lysergic Acid Diothylamide (sp?) is bad, mmmm-kay. It was invented as a truth serum by the government, the "sights" were only a side effect. Being that it is a Truth Serum, you, while on acid, will do anything someone tells you to do. This can have various bad effects, from mild loss of money, to major loss of life. Now onto the good books and authors and stuff. I'm a very avid reader. These are the writers I read, (THis includes Script authors) Kevin Smith Sam Kieth Stanley Kubrick William Gibson Steve Gerber Neil Gaiman William Burroughs Jack Kerouac (Incidently the name of my dog) Allen Ginsburg Mark Waid Stan Lee etc. Books: Good Omens: The nice and accurate prophesies of Agnes Nutter, witch. Neuromancer Psychology by Aristotle, that one will make your head hurt for hours. The portable Jack Kerouac Various others. Comics: (If they are good enough for me, and good enough for Leffel, they are good enough for you) The Maxx (Best damn comic out there) Ghostworld Eightball Mage Howard: The Duck (mainly the gerber years) Sandman (Anything from vertigo for that matter) Strangers In Paradise (Jim Lee got me into this book, thanx jim) Madman Red Rocket 7 Almost Heroes Scud Captain America (Waid and Garney books) Early Marvel Thoughtfulman THE LIST GOES ON AND ON AND ON! Movies Clockwork Orange Brazil Howard: The Duck More and more and more. LDB, with his first big post in years. -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980609183624.0069f0d8@pop.indy.net> Date: Tue, 09 Jun 1998 18:36:24 -0400 From: rachel Subject: Re: TMBG: STD jordan wrote: >i think it'd be cool if they started throwing tracks of fingertips in >between the songs again... that was pretty cool. >better yet, i'd like it if they started playing stump the band or spin >the dial at shows again (on a regular basis)... > mmmmmmm (drools) fingertips live... jason wrote: >think so...if it has "the greatest hits," the following should be on it: > >Don't Let's Start, Ana Ng, Birdhouse, Istanbul, Particle Man, SEXXY, Snail >Shell, Hotel Detective, Purple Toupee, They'll Need a Crane, WDTSS?, I >Palindrome I, The Guitar... wdtss? IS going to be on it right? i love the rockin' fast version soooooo much. "hotel detective", the back to skull version, may be on it- they've done that live quite often. but, well, but not recently. other good shoe-in's would be "she's actual size," "no one knows my plan," and, of course "spy," to name a few. meow, rachel art work can now be found at: http://www.geocities.com/soho/museum/5039 enjoy! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980609195714.006a26ec@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Tue, 09 Jun 1998 19:57:14 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Spy on STD? What do you think the chances of "Spy" turning up on STD will be? It's a great song, but I wonder if the improv would work well on a live CD...they've included an improv on 2 studio recordings, so it's not impossible by any stretch, but still... -Adam /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 9 Jun 98 20:02 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: NoN+TMbG!:- Quest for Elevation >Hitchhikers excellent; also reccomend > >The Princess Bride-William Goldman >The Last Unicorn-Peter Beagle >The Never-Ending Story-Michael Ende >Anything by Ursula K. LeGuin but especially the certified life-changing >The Dispossessed, The Left Hand of Darkness, or The Eye of the Heron >A Winter's Tale-Mark Helprin To Sarah's wonderful list I'd like to add: Anything by Charles de Lint, especially _Memory and Dream_ and _Dreams Underfoot_ _Even Cowgirls Get the Blues_ by Tom Robbins Kirs -- [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] "And she said losing love is like a window in your heart Everybody sees you're blown apart..." - Paul Simon "Graceland" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980609190202.00694e3c@pop.indy.net> Date: Tue, 09 Jun 1998 19:02:02 -0400 From: rachel Subject: Re: TMBG: Spy on STD? adam wrote: >What do you think the chances of "Spy" turning up on STD will be? It's a >great song, but I wonder if the improv would work well on a live >CD...they've included an improv on 2 studio recordings, so it's not >impossible by any stretch, but still... > i think it has a pretty good chance seeing as how they've released it twice and play it at every show. i think the johns are quite attached to it, and no live show would be complete without it. BUT on the other hand, perhaps 3 releases is too much for one song. meow, rachel art work can now be found at: http://www.geocities.com/soho/museum/5039 enjoy! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980610003035.00f730d0@pop.cwru.edu> Date: Tue, 09 Jun 1998 17:30:35 -0700 From: SpiderEyes Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: NoN+TMbG!:- Quest for Elevation >Very intelligent, fun, philosophical books. Top three, all very different, all currently available in most bookstores and some libraries (proby under SF&F): "Snow Crash" by Neal Stephenson, one of the best books of all time. I recommend you read the first three pages to get the flavor of it, to decide if you want to read it. (Everyone I have had read the first three pages has gotten hooked and taken it back out of my hands at that point. My copy has seen six or seven readers already.) "Good Omens." by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. A lighthearted look at the apocalypse, with a few very serious points. A slightly more "intelligent" book than Douglas Adams' zany ones, but in the same vein. "The Callahan Chronicles" by Spider Robinson, a compilation of three or four short books in one oversized paperback edition. Lots of empathy and compassion. Really makes you feel as well as think. Also: Try Robert Heinlein. My personal fave book is "Door into Summer," but that's a pretty obscure one, and a bit overly optimistic. "Stranger in a Strange Land" is, of course, the Flood of Heinlein fans. Maybe try some short stories- check the original copyright, aim for 1955-1970. (Libraries are better than bookstores for this.) Douglas Adams is a necessity- look in the clearance hardcover section of any bookstore chain for the fat compilation volume of the Hitchhiker's trilogy. (He's also really neat in person. And very tall.) If you like that space where psychology, philosophy, and physics merge into a single discipline, try "Quantum Psychology" by Robert Anton Wilson. Hmmm... intelligent, fun, philosophical... "Zen to go." A compilation of quotes, available in the eastern religions/ philosophy section of your local library. - SpiderEyes ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 22:18:20 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: just venting... Message-ID: <19980609.221928.12958.1.jbparke@juno.com> From: jbparke@juno.com (Jeff Parker) >> Thanks to Leonard Helfgott's recommendation, I found the "cdnow" >> website in an attempt to locate the "I Palindrome I" CD single >(they didn't have it...oh well). They did, however, have a "recommended if > >Give up. :) Some of us on this list have literally been looking for that >CD for 3 or 4 years... You might find it at a local record store, but the >chances of you finding it on the 'net are pretty slim. I must have been one of the luckier fans because right as I began listening to TMBG I bought the "I Palindrome I" and "The Guitar" singles at a local indie music store. That's what I call perfect timing! On a side note, after a very long drought of good luck, I got Pearl Jam tickets the other day!!! They sold out in a little over an hour and I actually got tickets! Unfortunately this means no more good luck for at least 10 years, but it's definitely worth it... :) >And to tell you the truth I never find Weird Al in the comedy section of >music stores. I find Weird Al albums in the same section I find TMBG >albums and it's NEVER the comedy section!! I have never nor will I ever >see a Weird Al album in the comedy section. I guess the only way you won't see Al there is if you don't look... I have been a Wierd Al fan for many years and I have always had to look in the comedy section for his albums. > Hello, My name is Mike, and I'm new here. > This is my first post. Just wanted to introduce myself. > I'm 18 in Houston TX, going to UNT in Denton TX next fall. > I like TMBG very much. They make me smile. > And that's who I am. Thank you. > *Mike* Welcome to the list! We can always use another Mike since one of ours left... One more thing... anyone here listen to BranVan3000? They're just amazing! I can't remember if someone here mentioned them or not, but I highly recommend getting their album... they're a little rock, a little rap, a little country, a little techno, etc. That's it... v^v Jeffro v^v "Dig and be dug in return" - MonoPuff "I know his T-shirt never changes, but that's why I love him... Willard... the very name I wear on my arm, and hold dear to my heart." - BranVan3000 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <357E0CA5.53919AE1@ix.netcom.com> Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 00:33:41 -0400 From: Mike Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: NoN+TMbG!:- Quest for Elevation I too shall fully endorse HHGTTG, Douglas Adams is the man! Though I didn't know there was a towel \-: I'd also suggest the Tolkein series (Hobbit, Lord of the Rings... ect. ect.) Read the books! Get the posters! Watch the cartoons! Then finally come to terms with it all when you pick up the Cliff Notes :D Also, I've never viewed them myself, but multiple people have told me to read the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. Anything by.... you know, in writing this, I realize I don't read that often \-: Animal Farm was a pretty good book. It's about a bunch of pigs who take over a farm and embrace communism. It's by George Orwell. I also liked Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. Finally.... there's a lot of good comic books you could start reading. Graphic novels are cool. If you get a chance, I'd pick the Bone books (Jeff Smith) and anything done by Ben Dunn, like the Tick. Mikeman The Nigh-Invunerable One! Davin Q. Hutchingstone wrote: > > OK listies, listen up! > There are a lot of intelligent people > on the list, and I need to tap this resource. > > Recently, I got into some trouble. > (I did 20 hits of acid and my parents found out.) > Well, the depression has dissipated, > but now I want to become a better person. > I've stopped doing drugs. (But I may do some creatine in the future... > Who wants a skinny guy?) > I am going to be more noble. > I will be sensitive and good. > I don't want to be understood. > > Anyway, the main reason for my post is that I need > some recommendations for good books. > Very intelligent, fun, philosophical books. > (NO Ayn Rand!!!!!!!!!) > What's that Hitchhikers Guide Book like? > Everyone always talks about their favorite books and authors, > so if you have any ideas, let me know. > > Thanks! > > -The new, improved Hutch! > "I'm good now, honest!" > > _____________________________________________________________________ > You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. > Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com > Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 21:39:27 -0700 (PDT) From: "J. Brown" Subject: TMBG: Re:NoN+TMbG!:- Quest for Elevation Message-ID: As far as reading goes I highly recomend anything By Robertson Davies especially the Deptford Trilogy. And to follow up on Mike's Comic book recomendations I highly recomend Grant Morrison's The Invisibles- makes Sandman look like the shite it it is. Jason Wilson Brown History & Canadian Studies Major President- GEEK The Secret Society of the College Bowl ringostr@u.washington.edu geekbowl@u.washington.edu P.O. Box 45822 Seattle, WA 98145-0822 (206) 632-4905 "Thought I knew all the steps quite clearly, I don't have a clue" -Elvis Costello ------------------------------ From: Monotreme3@aol.com Message-ID: <46337d06.357e0fc9@aol.com> Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 00:47:03 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re:NoN+TMbG!:- Quest for Elevation In a message dated 6/10/98 12:40:24 AM Eastern Daylight Time, ringostr@u.washington.edu writes: > And to follow up on Mike's Comic book recomendations I highly recomend > Grant Morrison's The Invisibles- makes Sandman look like the shite it it > is. Sandman? Shite? Argh. Nevermind. You just have a good day. Shite... jeez. -Carey ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 21:52:38 -0700 (PDT) From: "J. Brown" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re:NoN+TMbG!:- Quest for Elevation Message-ID: On Wed, 10 Jun 1998 Monotreme3@aol.com wrote: > In a message dated 6/10/98 12:40:24 AM Eastern Daylight Time, > ringostr@u.washington.edu writes: >> > And to follow up on Mike's Comic book recomendations I highly recomend > > Grant Morrison's The Invisibles- makes Sandman look like the shite it it > > is. > > Sandman? Shite? Argh. Nevermind. You just have a good day. Shite... jeez. Ok ok its not Shite or Shit. Actually it's fantastic, but personally i think Morrison is leagues ahead of Gaiman especially his work on Doom Patrol, Invisibles, and Animal Man. Sandman is really good, but Invisibles is really really good. But niether of them compare to Alan Moore. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #7-10 *****************************