Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #7-11 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 7, Number 11 Thursday, 11 June 1998 Today's Topics: NON-TMBG: good reads TMBG: Re: NoN+TMbG!:- Quest for Elevation TMBG: Is Jeff out there? Re: TMBG: Re:NoN+TMbG!:- Quest for Elevation Re: NON-TMBG: good reads Re: TMBG: Re:NoN+TMbG!:- Quest for Elevation TMBG: milwaukee show Re: NON-TMBG: good reads TMBG: Linnell vs. Al? Re: TMBG: Linnell vs. Al? TMBG: Re: NoN+TMbG!:- Quest for Elevation Re: TMBG: Linnell vs. Al? Re: NON-TMBG: good reads Re: TMBG: Linnell vs. Al? Re: TMBG: Re: NoN+TMbG!:- Quest for Elevation Re: TMBG: Linnell vs. Al? TMBG: Accordians Re: NON-TMBG: good reads Re: TMBG: just venting... Re: TMBG: Accordians Re: TMBG: Accordians TMBG: Istanbul (Not Constantanople) Re: TMBG: Linnell vs. Al? Re: TMBG: Linnell vs. Al? Re: TMBG: Accordians Re: TMBG: Linnell vs. Al? Re: TMBG: Accordians Re: TMBG: Accordians TMBG: Accordions Re: TMBG: Mono Puff: At Newbury Comics.. all that means is... Re: TMBG: Accordians Re: NON-TMBG: good reads Re: NON-TMBG: good reads TMBG: istanbul a capella Re: TMBG: Weird Re: TMBG: Accordians Re: TMBG: Accordions TMBG: Re: NON-TMBG!:- Freek Flags everywhere Re: TMBG: Weird Re: TMBG: Linnell vs. Al? NON-TMBG: Books, and stuff. Re: TMBG: Accordians Re: NON-TMBG: Books, and stuff. Re: NON-TMBG: good reads Re: TMBG: Linnell vs. Al? NON TMBG: musical reccomendations Re: NON TMBG: musical reccomendations TMBG: a couple things TMBG: Re: Non=TMBQ; Terry Gilliam Re: TMBG: a couple things Re: TMBG: Re: Non=TMBQ; Terry Gilliam Re: NON-TMBG: Books Re: NON-TMBG: good reads Re: NON-TMBG: Books Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <3.0.32.19980610003125.0073d894@mailbox.ucdavis.edu> Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 00:31:33 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: NON-TMBG: good reads >well where i live, that's where he's filed in all the stores. That means only that you've got clueless people stocking the shelves. :| My local record store once had BF5 under "Folds, Ben Five", and I don't know HOW many times I've seen PDQ Bach records in the Classical section, right next to the other Bachs... *sigh* >Hello, My name is Mike, and I'm new here. The madness spreads. :) Hi Mike, Jason, and the other smiling new faces! Glad you could join us. Make yourself at home, mingle with the guests. There's a cooler in the back; help yourselves. >Anyway, the main reason for my post is that I need >some recommendations for good books. >Very intelligent, fun, philosophical books. >(NO Ayn Rand!!!!!!!!!) I diplomatically refuse to read any more Ayn Rand. _The Fountainhead_ depressed the heck out of me. I kept comparing myself to the main characters and finding a LOT of Keating in me. >What's that Hitchhikers Guide Book like? >Everyone always talks about their favorite books and authors, >so if you have any ideas, let me know. Got just the thing for you, Dave--the Moxy Fruvous Path Towards Greater Appreciation of Modern Literature. The way it works is this: 1) Go buy _Bargainville_. 2) Play track 7, "My Baby Loves A Bunch Of Authors." 3) Read one book by every author mentioned. Happy reading! Let me know how it goes. Be forewarned--the MFPTGAoML entailes some serious (in every sense of the word) reading. If you're in a lighter mood, I recommend: The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy trilogy (all five books) Anything by Dave Barry _2001:A Space Odyssey_ (Arthur C. Clarke) is not "fun", per se, but it's an easy and thought-provoking read. _The Thirteen Clocks_ (James Thurber) Did you read _The Phantom Tollbooth_ (Norton Juster) when you were a kid? If not, go read it now. >The Princess Bride-William Goldman Enthusiastic second! >The Last Unicorn-Peter Beagle Hey, no fair, that was going to be *my* really neat, really obscure selection. But no matter, it gives me a chance to plug a damn good author. This man can WRITE, my friends. >A Winter's Tale-Mark Helprin *nicole casts suspicious look in Sarah's direction* You're not reading my mind, are you? Are you? >Comics: Not sure if this is the kind of reading he had in mind, but I'll throw in my $.02--check out "The Book Of Ballads and Sagas" if you have even an ounce of folk in you. --nicole twn wow! two posts in two days... I must be neglecting my schoolwork! *** "If the Starship Enterprise came by and beamed me to Jupiter, I'd have three arms!"--my physics professor Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn ICQ #11984736 Public PGP key at http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn/key.html ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <357E49F2.D117263F@home.com> Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 01:55:16 -0700 From: NICHOLAS JANSSEN Organization: @Home Network Subject: TMBG: Re: NoN+TMbG!:- Quest for Elevation Books: Anything by Kurt Vonnegut (Breakfast of Champions) and The Count Of Monte Cristo Nick ------------------------------ From: mike12da@cyberwaves.com (Mike Mcguire) Subject: TMBG: Is Jeff out there? Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 13:43:03 GMT Message-Id: <897486184@cyberwaves.com> Organization: SYNERGY RESOURCES, INC. I gots a stupid question... Is there a guy named Jeff Otjen on this list? He was the biggest TMBG fan back when he lived near me, and I give him the credit for getting me into them some 7 years ago. But he was a huge fan and he moved to Australia, and I think he came back to go to University of Texas, and I can't imagine him not being on this list. It's inconcievable. Thanks. *Mike* ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980610135411.00683aa4@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 08:54:11 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re:NoN+TMbG!:- Quest for Elevation At 09:52 PM 6/9/98 -0700, J. Brown wrote: >On Wed, 10 Jun 1998 Monotreme3@aol.com wrote: >> In a message dated 6/10/98 12:40:24 AM Eastern Daylight Time, >> ringostr@u.washington.edu writes: >>> > And to follow up on Mike's Comic book recomendations I highly recomend >> > Grant Morrison's The Invisibles- makes Sandman look like the shite it it >> > is. >> >> Sandman? Shite? Argh. Nevermind. You just have a good day. Shite... jeez. > >Ok ok its not Shite or Shit. Actually it's fantastic, but personally i >think Morrison is leagues ahead of Gaiman especially his work on Doom >Patrol, Invisibles, and Animal Man. Sandman is really good, but >Invisibles is really really good. But niether of them compare to Alan >Moore. > I disagree fully. Moore hasn't written barely anything good for awhile. I'd have to say Gaiman and Morrison are each worth a hundred of the current Alan Moore. LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <761da54.357e9e17@aol.com> Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 10:54:14 EDT Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: good reads In a message dated 6/10/98 5:27:14 AM, you wrote: > >Got just the thing for you, Dave--the Moxy Fruvous Path Towards Greater >Appreciation of Modern Literature. The way it works is this: >1) Go buy _Bargainville_. >2) Play track 7, "My Baby Loves A Bunch Of Authors." >3) Read one book by every author mentioned. >Happy reading! Let me know how it goes. Be forewarned--the MFPTGAoML >entailes some serious (in every sense of the word) reading. LOL i have been waiting for this to come up.. :) especially everytime i read the name of one of those authors in these posts... "who needs a shave? he's robertson davies!" sarah ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 08:28:45 -0700 (PDT) From: "J. Brown" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re:NoN+TMbG!:- Quest for Elevation Message-ID: On Wed, 10 Jun 1998, The Li'l Depressed Boy wrote: > >Ok ok its not Shite or Shit. Actually it's fantastic, but personally i > >think Morrison is leagues ahead of Gaiman especially his work on Doom > >Patrol, Invisibles, and Animal Man. Sandman is really good, but > >Invisibles is really really good. But niether of them compare to Alan > >Moore. > > > I disagree fully. Moore hasn't written barely anything good for awhile. > I'd have to say Gaiman and Morrison are each worth a hundred of the current > Alan Moore. What are you talking about! Moore's Supreme is fantastic. He weaves Silver age stories with a modern comic sensibility completly deconstructing the form. But unfortunately Supreme was just canceled (damn Rob Liefeld!) And his From Hell series ain't half bad either. Writing Brilliant stories about inherrently cool things like Mythology and Conspiracy theories is one thing but writing Brilliant Superhero stories thkes real skill (and Morrison's JLA doesn't count although it is cool) jason ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 09:32:10 -0600 Subject: TMBG: milwaukee show Message-ID: <19980610.093213.11166.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> hEY HEy! does anyone have any information regarding the 8/6/98 TMBG "Private show" in Milwaukee? take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::Plague of Frogs... Will The Calculator Survive?::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980610121339.006b0134@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 12:13:39 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: good reads At 12:31 AM 6/10/98 -0700, Nicole the Wonder Nerd wrote: > >That means only that you've got clueless people stocking the shelves. :| >My local record store once had BF5 under "Folds, Ben Five", and I don't >know HOW many times I've seen PDQ Bach records in the Classical section, >right next to the other Bachs... *sigh* Where do they put Camper Van Beethoven's material? :) >I diplomatically refuse to read any more Ayn Rand. _The Fountainhead_ >depressed the heck out of me. I kept comparing myself to the main >characters and finding a LOT of Keating in me. Reading "The Fountainhead" was one of the most painful experiences of my life. It was on par with reading "The Right Stuff" in terms of sheer boredom. BTW! Look at this page - http://www.jeffcomp.com/jcp/parody/index.html If you've read "The Fountainhead", you'll probably love it. Comics: "Bone" (Cartoon Books) - it's been pretty lame for the past few issues, but it ought to pick up again soon. - http://www.boneville.com/ "Scud: The Disposable Assassin" (Fireman House Press) - it's gotten a little too...religiously bizarre lately, but it's still a consistently good read. - http://www.scud.com/ "Legion Of Super-Heroes" and "Legionnaires" (DC Comics) - soap opera + super heroes. :) Seriously, they're probably the best out-and-out super hero comics out there today. There's a lot of history though...it might be tough to jump into. "Batman And The Outsiders", "Adventures Of The Outsiders", "The Outsiders", (and to a far lesser extent) "Outsiders" (DC Comics) - the series I used to consider the best super hero readin' ever. :) Anything with "Ambush Bug" in the title (DC Comics) - absolutely hilarious stuff. "Watchmen" (DC Comics) - IMO, the best comic book series EVER published. Some people think it's greatly over-rated, but I'm not one of them. :) -Adam /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot@aol.com Message-ID: <400407e8.357eb4a3@aol.com> Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 12:30:26 EDT Subject: TMBG: Linnell vs. Al? Ok, ok, there seems to be a big controversy on who's the better accordian player, Mr. Linnell or Weird Al...& people wondering what is the connection between these two people? I'd like to first offer the connection: covers using the accordian. Remember when TMBG did stump the band? Runaway, Deam, Pictures of Matchstick Men among others...he played them quite well & if the John's wanted to they could probably easily change the lyrics to turn it into a parody. Weird Al also does covers on his wonderful accordian Bohemian Polka, Polka Your Eyes Out, to name a few. Both have their own style of playing the accordian, however, neither one is better. I don't think they'd ever do a contest to try & find out. Al likes the Giants & the Giants like Al. Let's just say for fun that Linnell & Al had an accordian contest. It would probably be in good humor & if one of them won, it would just be because they were being courteous to the other! Otherwise, they would tie! Let's not go around dissing the Johns or Al or their accordian playing...dissing one is like dissing the other. Just like dissing XTC would also be dissing the Giants (or at least their taste in music)... Fin, "weird" jason glastetter ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <4d40d876.357eb76d@aol.com> Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 12:42:20 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell vs. Al? In a message dated 6/10/98 12:32:01 AM, Happyfroot@aol.com wrote: >Al likes the Giants & the Giants like Al. actually, for the record, i've heard that They don't - or at the very least, Flans - like him. sarah ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Re: NoN+TMbG!:- Quest for Elevation Message-ID: <19980609.125857.4695.0.winningh@juno.com> From: winningh@juno.com (Winningham S. Sarah) Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 12:58:46 EDT >> I disagree fully. Moore hasn't written barely anything good for >awhile. >> I'd have to say Gaiman and Morrison are each worth a hundred of the >current >> Alan Moore. > >What are you talking about! Moore's Supreme is fantastic. He weaves >Silver age stories with a modern comic sensibility completly >deconstructing the form. But unfortunately Supreme was just canceled >(damn Rob Liefeld!) And his From Hell series ain't half bad either. >Writing Brilliant stories about inherrently cool things like Mythology >and >Conspiracy theories is one thing but writing Brilliant Superhero >stories >thkes real skill (and Morrison's JLA doesn't count although it is >cool) > Even if Moore hadn't just done the excellent From Hell with its even more excellent appendix does not Watchmen automatically make him the king of all comics, especially super-hero, ever? Also in the realm of comics make an effort to find Jon Lewis- True Swamp, Ghost Ship, Spectacles and Jay Sin Stephens- Land of Nod, Big Bang Comics, Atomic City Tales; Mike Leffell would be glad ya did. Sarah "would recommend Buckaroo Banzai the novel by Earl Mac Rauch except its an elusive and expensive collectors item, try your library" Winningham _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980610130040.006aefd8@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 13:00:40 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell vs. Al? 12:30 PM 6/10/98 EDT, Happyfroot@aol.com wrote: > >Let's just say for fun that Linnell & Al had an accordian contest. It would >probably be in good humor & if one of them won, it would just be because they >were being courteous to the other! Otherwise, they would tie! I meant that Al is superior in the "traditional" sense of playing the accordion (like Kevin Hearn, Dave Matheson, Paul Rogers, Myron Floren, etc.), while Linnell has his own original, bizarre style which I probably shouldn't have compared to Al. I don't think his accordion playing sucks by any stretch - in fact, I'd wish he'd play the accordion more than the keyboard. The '92 era bootlegs where Linnell played the accordion on almost every song, IMO, sound many, many times better than the shrill, tinny keyboard that's taken over, but that's an entirely different thread. ;) -Adam /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980610132235.00a26650@mail.csrlink.net> Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 13:22:35 -0400 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: good reads At 12:31 AM 6/10/98 -0700, you wrote: Foist off, I'd like to throw in my support for everything Nicole mentioned. Second, I'd like to say I myself would personally recommend ALL Douglas Adams books, not only the Hitchhiker's Guide series, but also those in the Dirk Gently. Third, if Mike Leffel was here, he'd be doing the same as #2 just now. And fourth, check out The Mezzanine by Nicholson Baker. That author was in the news recently because Monica Lewinsky apparently bought his book "Vox" (About phone sex.) and Starr subpoenaed it for his grand jury, blah, blah. Dylan "Ronaldo! Leonardo! Rivaldo! Baiano! Watching soccer on TV is fun!" Flipse Dylan Flipse...one of them. - dflipse@csrlink.net Dylan's page is at http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ for now. I'll never see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed -They Might Be Giants, the coolest thing this side of Zaphod Beeblebrox. ------------------------------ From: BrthrJuan@aol.com Message-ID: <573238ee.357ec637@aol.com> Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 13:45:26 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell vs. Al? In a message dated 6/10/98 1:02:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ctyner@clemson.edu writes: > (like Kevin Hearn, Dave Matheson, Paul Rogers, Myron Floren, > etc.) umm..paul rogers? form the edgar winter group? the guy who wrote "feel like making love"? the guy who wrote "all right now"? the guitar player? he has been playing the guitar for as long as i can remember, and never once heard of him with an accordian.... ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 11:01:02 -0700 (PDT) From: "J. Brown" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: NoN+TMbG!:- Quest for Elevation Message-ID: > Even if Moore hadn't just done the excellent From Hell with its even more > excellent appendix does not Watchmen automatically make him the king of > all comics, especially super-hero, ever? hear hear! The Watchmen is the only Superhero comic book i recomend to people who don't like Superheros. And i second who ever recomended the Legion books. great fun a such a soap opera! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980610140612.006a0794@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 14:06:12 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell vs. Al? Sorry, I meant Paul Rogers from an 8-piece band from California called "Those Darn Accordions!". He's an absolutely incredible accordion player... -Adam At 01:45 PM 6/10/98 EDT, BrthrJuan@aol.com wrote: > >umm..paul rogers? form the edgar winter group? the guy who wrote "feel like >making love"? the guy who wrote "all right now"? the guitar player? he has >been playing the guitar for as long as i can remember, and never once heard of >him with an accordian.... /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 11:17:41 -0700 (PDT) From: "J. Brown" Subject: TMBG: Accordians Message-ID: I have never been that fond of Accordians and Personally i'm glad they're is less Accordian in TMBG's music now. I really like the directiuon they're music is going in now away from the Devoesque Robot music and more towards creative and fun pop tunes. Am alone in this opinion? jason ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 10 Jun 98 14:24 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: good reads >Second, I'd like to say I myself would personally recommend ALL Douglas >Adams books, not only the Hitchhiker's Guide series, but also those in the >Dirk Gently. Agreed. _Last Chance To See_, with Mark Cardwardine, is an excellent non-fiction book about his travels to see endangered animals. It's quite often mind-bendingly hilarious, but it also makes you think. Oh, and pretty much all of Terry Pratchett's books are fantastic, not just _Good Omens_ which has been mentioned multiple times. I'm a big fan of his Discworld books, especially _Men At Arms_ and _Soul Music_ (which contains a TMBG reference, extra bonus points!). Kirs -- [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] "And she said losing love is like a window in your heart Everybody sees you're blown apart..." - Paul Simon "Graceland" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 10 Jun 98 14:42 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: just venting... >One more thing... anyone here listen to BranVan3000? They're just >amazing! Woo! My friend Patrick has just gotten me addicted to them - made me a two-volume mix tape with copius amounts of BranVan. I do so like "Drinking In LA" and "Cum On Feel the Noise", not to mention "Willard"... Patrick always says "They're like Beck, only better!" which I don't feel qualified yet to affirm, but they're definitely good. :) Kirsten -- [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] "And she said losing love is like a window in your heart Everybody sees you're blown apart..." - Paul Simon "Graceland" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 14:33:10 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Accordians Message-ID: <19980610.143334.3406.0.gray42@juno.com> You may not have meant any harm to Devo, but just let me say this one thing. Devo's robot music was GeNIUS, they were so robotic that they mutated. Devo, aside from TMBG is some of the weirdest music I've heard, it's almost as good as TMBG in the way it makes me happy. Devo, They Might Be Giants, Mike Patton (faith No More, Mr. Bungle), and Negativeland are all completely off the wall, and I love that. I've often felt disturbed when some of my good TMBG fan friends said that TMBG was begining to sound normal, that they missed the old days when TMBG was two guys with a drum machine. Now I personally love the new and old stuff equally. It's just TMBG mutating into something else, their music is STILL thourghally weird. Especially with songs like "Your Own Worst Enemy" "Nightgown Of The Sullen Moon" "A Self Called Nowhere" and "Window" to name a very small few. Keep in mind that I did not right all this stuf out of anger, but rather excitement in wanting to state my beliefs, so who'll be the first to beat me up? *Ding* Mysterio Gal (fellow Subgenius & Happy Mutant) " Have I been there? I live there! I made The School, I am The School! Anything that goes on there, they tell me first, I'm the boss, I control what goes on in the whole place. If you want to take a piss, you gotta ask me first." --Pitts ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 11:54:34 -0700 (PDT) From: "J. Brown" Subject: Re: TMBG: Accordians Message-ID: On Wed, 10 Jun 1998 gray42@juno.com wrote: > You may not have meant any harm to Devo, but just let me say this one > thing. Devo's robot music was GeNIUS, they were so robotic that they > mutated. Devo, aside from TMBG is some of the weirdest music I've heard, > it's almost as good as TMBG in the way it makes me happy. Devo, They Devo is great but and i love old TMBG too. For me my tastes run to the Poppier stuff. My absolute 2 favorites are XTC and Elvis Costello. Neither are exactly Normal but they aren't weird for weirdness sake like Devo and early TMBG can be. TMBG's lyrics are still super weird its just i dig there new sound more ------------------------------ Message-ID: <357EA108.7BF78438@tmbg.org> Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 15:06:45 +0000 From: "Chris \"Feeny\" Campbell" Subject: TMBG: Istanbul (Not Constantanople) Today in history, we were watching an A&E show on the crusades and Istanbul came on, not the Four Lads version, and not the TMBG version but a weird all most accapella(sp?) version was playing!??? Anyone know of other groups who have covered Istanbul? -- -Chris "fEenY" Campbell ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ TMBG SHRINE! Http://www.mix-net.net/~ccampbell E-mail - ccampbell@mix-net.net Or At - feeny@tmbg.org ----"No one understands, No one knows my plan" -John Linnell, ----"A note to myself, do the dumb things I gotta do, touch the puppet head" -John Flansburgh They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ From: Superman25@aol.com Message-ID: <99b486ae.357ee0cf@aol.com> Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 15:38:53 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell vs. Al? hi. in my opinion, it all comes down to this. can john linnell wrap his leg around his head and play the accordion at the same time? i don't think so. to actually see al do that is truly an amazing thing. adam schaaf, who only wishes he were that limber. ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 15:43:31 EDT Subject: Re: Re: TMBG: Linnell vs. Al? In a message dated 6/10/98 3:41:05 PM, superman25@aol.com wrote: > >in my opinion, it all comes down to this. can john linnell wrap his >leg around his head and play the accordion at the same time? i don't >think so. to actually see al do that is truly an amazing thing. ah, but have you seen Linnell *try*...? :) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980610195304.006894bc@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 14:53:04 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: Accordians At 11:17 AM 6/10/98 -0700, J. Brown wrote: >I have never been that fond of Accordians and Personally i'm glad they're >is less Accordian in TMBG's music now. I really like the directiuon >they're music is going in now away from the Devoesque Robot music and more >towards creative and fun pop tunes. Am alone in this opinion? > Numbre 1: I love Devo, not all their songs, but some of them are great. (Mr. Kamikazi, Workin' in the colemine, Satifaction) Numbre 2: I can see almost no similarity between most TMBG songs and the songs of Devo. Numbre 3: What does accordians have to do with Devo?!? LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 14:05:02 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell vs. Al? Message-ID: <19980610.140509.11166.3.TMBgirl@juno.com> > can john linnell wrap his >leg around his head and play the accordion at the same time? heh... i can wrap both my legs behind my head and swim a lap... then i start to drown... it's pretty amusing, and somewhat painful but hey, i'll do anything for attention! :P oh and i deleted the message but to whoever said that their music was "weird." Somehow i just don't think you could label their music as such. I mean sure, the lyrics aren't similar to stuff you'll hear on the radio, which i would think one would be more likely to say that what they are doing is "different" not "weird" and anyways, if it weren't for all these bands doing different things there'd be no variety and nothing would be interesting... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html "You can be any way that you wanna be, how i'll be, well that's up to me" -MP _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 13:24:33 -0700 (PDT) From: "J. Brown" Subject: Re: TMBG: Accordians Message-ID: On Wed, 10 Jun 1998, The Li'l Depressed Boy wrote: > Numbre 2: I can see almost no similarity between most TMBG songs and the > songs of Devo. I think there is a strong similarity to most of the first two tmbg albums and devo stylisticly although not musically. They both tend to go for a post modern deconstructionist tip. > Numbre 3: What does accordians have to do with Devo?!? nothing ------------------------------ Message-ID: <357EEC17.672014A2@ix.netcom.com> Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 16:27:03 -0400 From: Mike Subject: Re: TMBG: Accordians I think TMBG is what's getting me hooked on accordians. After all the recent debate over Weird Al and TMBG, I've decided to order an accordian so silly cyberdorks, just like you and me, maybe fighting over who's better? Mike Bobbick or John Linnell? Hahaha! John Linnell no question, but my name may be mentioned! But many good bands do use accordians. TMBG and Weird Al come to mind first, but Moxy Fruvous and Squierrel Nut Zippers also use accordians in their acts. Sure, that has absouloutely no connection to why they're good. I mean, TMBG has tons of songs that don't use the accordian.... I mean, look at Patricle Man, Subliminal, and Metal Detector!! And Snowball in hell!! I love that one!! And then there's also James K. Polk, Spacesuit, and the all time, #1 TMBG song, Famous Polka! None of those songs... wait... geeze, come to think of it, they all have the accordian... Damn, I guess TMBG is just an accordian band. So, before you knock the intstrument, you should look at all their songs. I think it's the backbone of the band. I mean, look at the picture on the pink albulm, where they're on the giant dog. Isn't that just the coolest picture of the Johns? Mikeman The Man called Mike J. Brown wrote: > > I have never been that fond of Accordians and Personally i'm glad they're > is less Accordian in TMBG's music now. I really like the directiuon > they're music is going in now away from the Devoesque Robot music and more > towards creative and fun pop tunes. Am alone in this opinion? > > jason ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 15:38:48 -0500 (CDT) From: Kim Justice Subject: TMBG: Accordions Message-ID: 1. Bumper sticker I've seen a few times: "I'm pro-accordion and I VOTE" 2. Anna Domino uses a lot of accordion on "Mysteries of America", which came out in 1990 but which I only got a copy of recently. Not that anyone would confuse her with Them; more in the Suzanne Vega/Jane Siberry area. kj -- justicek@edge.net (Kim Justice) http://edge.edge.net/~justicek All claws for now withdrawn. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980610203744.28281.rocketmail@send1b.yahoomail.com> Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 13:37:44 -0700 (PDT) From: Amanda Nichols Subject: Re: TMBG: Mono Puff: At Newbury Comics.. all that means is... > After talking he said they (The main office of Newbury Comics) had > put it in the "Sounds from the Underground" section, this means that it > is at all? the N C stores in that "special" section! :-) Anyone work at > Newbury? Anyone know how that section works? What that means for right now is this: Newbury's having a sale on indie-label discs (so pick up Firewater NOW there for 10 bucks 'fore it shoots back up to 17) and Bar-None's an indie. It's also a section in the larger stores (usually more suburban) that would feature indie-label artists and lesser known bands (like locals and scenesters). There's usually some good stuff in that label, so keep an eye out! Amanda, who asked her roommate about all of this, as she works for the NC. _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980610165624.006a4bf4@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 16:56:24 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Accordians At 01:24 PM 6/10/98 -0700, J. Brown wrote: > >> Numbre 3: What does accordians have to do with Devo?!? > >nothing Not so! Those Darn Accordions! (6 accordions, bass, & drums) cover "Uncontrollable Urge" in concert. :) Go to their website at http://www.globerecords.com/tda/ ... very cool stuff. -Adam /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: Monotreme3@aol.com Message-ID: <894e9b5c.357ef3db@aol.com> Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 17:00:09 EDT Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: good reads In a message dated 6/10/98 12:18:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ctyner@clemson.edu writes: > "Watchmen" (DC Comics) - IMO, the best comic book series EVER published. > Some people think it's greatly over-rated, but I'm not one of them. :) Oooooooh... Watchmen. Oh yeah. Definitely among the best. I don't know if it's the best EVER published... I think I might like Sandman better. But still, it rocks. And I think people either really like it, or really don't. Either way, it's good stuff. Other good stuff: "V for Vendetta" "Ranma 1/2" <---it's just really funny "Maxx" "The Books of Magic" <---the first four are cool, and the series is supposed to be good. "Mr. Punch" <---written by Gaiman, beautiful art by my man Dave McKean... (as an art major I have to point that out) "Kabuki" <---this is a new series from Image. I've only ever seen one issue, but from just the one, I'm dying for more. The art is amazing and the story seems like it must have quite a bit of substance to it. "Johnny the Homicidal Maniac" <---it's good... trust me. "Squee" <---the three series spin-off/continuation of JtHM Oh yeah... let me recommend a movie... JACK FROST!!!!!!!!!!!! -Carey ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 16:06:26 -0600 From: The Pope Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: good reads Message-id: Ender's Game ------------------------------ From: BrthrJuan@aol.com Message-ID: <9fcf710c.357ef680@aol.com> Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 17:11:27 EDT Subject: TMBG: istanbul a capella >Today in history, we were watching an A&E show on the crusades and >Istanbul came on, not the Four Lads version, and not the TMBG version >but a weird all most accapella(sp?) version was playing!??? Anyone know >of other groups who have covered Istanbul? well, the Bobs, did a version of "Particle Man" which is pretty good. no idea about this one though aaron ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 17:09:15 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Weird Message-ID: <19980610.172049.4286.0.gray42@juno.com> Ok, about the whole weird thing, it just so happens that weird is my favorite word. Heck, I think I'm a bit strange and quirky. When weirdos like me use the word weird, it's usually a huge compliment. I just personally am a lover of insanity. And feel very privilaged to lead a very weird life, surrounded by a lot of freaks and outcasts from society, backwards people if you will, the artists and inventors, the greats. They've always been society's outcasts, like me, myself. When I refer to music as being weird, mean they are not like every other hokey group on the radio that depress me and shame me for being different. TMBG tells me to "raise my freak flag, higher and higher" even the happy mutant handbook (a book for societies freaks and weirdos) suggests listening tro them. It all depends on how you look at the word "weird" Mysterio Gal (who watched way too much "muppet babies" as a child) " Have I been there? I live there! I made The School, I am The School! Anything that goes on there, they tell me first, I'm the boss, I control what goes on in the whole place. If you want to take a piss, you gotta ask me first." --Pitts ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 17:18:58 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Accordians Message-ID: <19980610.172049.4286.1.gray42@juno.com> On Wed, 10 Jun 1998 16:27:03 -0400 Mike writes: >I think TMBG is what's getting me hooked on accordians. After all the >recent debate over Weird Al and TMBG, I've decided to order an >accordian so silly cyberdorks, just like you and me, maybe fighting >over who's better? Mike Bobbick or John Linnell? Hahaha! John Linnell >no question, but my name may be mentioned! > But many good bands do use accordians. TMBG and Weird Al come >to mind first, but Moxy Fruvous and Squierrel Nut Zippers also use >accordians in their acts. Sure, that has absouloutely no connection to >why they're good. > I mean, TMBG has tons of songs that don't use the >accordian.... I mean, look at Patricle Man, Subliminal, and Metal >Detector!! And Snowball in hell!! I love that one!! And then there's >also James K. Polk, Spacesuit, and the all time, #1 TMBG song, Famous >Polka! None of those songs... wait... geeze, come to think of it, they >all have the accordian... Damn, I guess TMBG is just an accordian >band. > So, before you knock the intstrument, you should look at all >their songs. I think it's the backbone of the band. I mean, look at >the picture on the pink albulm, where they're on the giant dog. Isn't >that just the coolest picture of the Johns? > > Mikeman > The Man called Mike > >J. Brown wrote: >> >> I have never been that fond of Accordians and Personally i'm glad >they're >> is less Accordian in TMBG's music now. I really like the directiuon >> they're music is going in now away from the Devoesque Robot music >and more >> towards creative and fun pop tunes. Am alone in this opinion? >> >> jason > I've noticed, after many an hour of searching on the web, the only pics of Linnell with a keyboard are the live ones. It's almost like the accordion has become an icon for the group. When one thinks of TMBG, one thinks of a guy with glasses and a guitar, and a guy with an accordion, and they both happen to share the same name, JOHN, it's what is primarly used to tell them apart. Maybe there should be a t-shirt/album cover, with John's glasses and accordion on it, eh? eh? Mysterio Gal (if she had her way, would call everyone, both male and female, George) " Have I been there? I live there! I made The School, I am The School! Anything that goes on there, they tell me first, I'm the boss, I control what goes on in the whole place. If you want to take a piss, you gotta ask me first." --Pitts ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980610174121.006a5d7c@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 17:41:21 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Accordions At 03:38 PM 6/10/98 -0500, Kim Justice wrote: >1. Bumper sticker I've seen a few times: "I'm pro-accordion and I VOTE" I have one of those, plus one that says "I'd rather be squeezin'!" I think you can get the Pro-Accordion bumper stickers from the Those Darn Accordions! website, although I think it's been around in various incarnations since the days of Brave Combo, truly the best polka band in the history of music.. -Adam /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199806102319.TAA28931@earth.colstate.edu> From: "Jason Thrower" Organization: Columbus State Univ.,Columbus, Ga. Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 19:10:57 EST Subject: TMBG: Re: NON-TMBG!:- Freek Flags everywhere >Very intelligent, fun, philosophical books. Keep in mind ALL of these have VERY deep meaning when you know what you are looking for. Just like the inspector over the mine. Let's see considering those are the only that make it to my very tops list here they are: **Books: _Flower for Algernon_ Often in short story form, but you can grab in Hard back too) _Mind Transfer_ (got a couple of more, but will post them later) **Plays: "Importence of being Ernest" by Oscar Wilde **Moves: Mind Walk saw it on Brovo.. great film.. anybody saw it? I have to see it again:( ) Project Orange The Doors not really a favorite, but just love pointing out different aspects of meaning in it (got a couple more here too.. just wait till I get at home:) **TV shows (TV worth watching): Rugrats (the ability of us to learn from our children is uncanny. The same is try with basic morals and fun games like Bugs in the Rug:) South Park (It is great when talking poo tells you that even if you believe in sh*t, it doesn't matter, as long as every beleives in the same things, we will be happy) My So Called Life Star Trek not philosophic, but very fun to watch anyhow Daria I don't know.. just like the way she waves her freek flag higher and higher:) ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 17:14:34 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Weird Message-ID: <19980610.171447.11166.4.TMBgirl@juno.com> >When I refer to music as being weird, mean they are not like every >other hokey group on the radio not like everything else... isn't that just different? > When one thinks of TMBG, one thinks of a guy with glasses and >a guitar, and a guy with an accordion, and they both happen to >share the same name, JOHN, what about big john and little john? take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::No, i don't work at abercrombie and fitch::: ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 10 Jun 98 19:44 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell vs. Al? > >> can john linnell wrap his >>leg around his head and play the accordion at the same time? > >heh... i can wrap both my legs behind my head and swim a lap... then i >start to drown... it's pretty amusing, and somewhat painful but hey, i'll >do anything for attention! :P What is it Bart says? "I could do that, I just don't wanna!" hee hee.. Kirsten "I swallow my gum" Brodbeck -- [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] "And she said losing love is like a window in your heart Everybody sees you're blown apart..." - Paul Simon "Graceland" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ From: "Ryan Hamilton" Subject: NON-TMBG: Books, and stuff. Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 18:45:06 -0500 Message-ID: <01bd94c9$cbaea680$b8fd5fcc@mom> Oh, yeah, hi, I'm not really new here, I've been subscribed for a couple years, but I don't actually post. To the guy asking for good books: Um. Yeah. The Hitchhiker's Guide is great. Just really super amazingly great. Really. Also, Catcher in the Rye is good, as well as any other Salinger. Oh, yeah, and Kurt Vonnegut is God. Well, not really. But, yeah. He's good. Um, bye. Ryan47 Gaaa. ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 10 Jun 98 19:52 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Accordians When one thinks of TMBG, one >thinks of a guy with glasses and a guitar, and a guy with an accordion, >and they both happen to share the same name, JOHN, it's what is primarly >used to tell them apart. Maybe there should be a t-shirt/album cover, >with John's glasses and accordion on it, eh? eh? When my friend Kristen and I were making TMBG shirts prior to our very first TMBG concert (we weren't cool enough to own any real ones yet ;)) I attempted to make one like this, but I messed up on the accordion and had to get a new shirt... >Mysterio Gal (if she had her way, would call everyone, both male and >female, George) What a coincidence; so would I... Kirsten (whose nickname online was George for a while, until she got tired of confusing people..) -- [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] "And she said losing love is like a window in your heart Everybody sees you're blown apart..." - Paul Simon "Graceland" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19980610195935.007c3e20@email.psu.edu> Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 19:59:35 -0400 From: "J. L. Moquin" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Books, and stuff. I would LOVE to recommend Richard Brautigan, anything by Brautigan, but he's apparently becoming harder to find. But if you can find: In Watermelon Sugar (*my favorite!!*) The Pill Versus the Springhill Mine Disaster Rommel Drives on Deep into Egypt The Hawkline Monster Sombrero Fallout Revenge of the Lawn ... Oh, hell, I doubt you'll find anyone who's even heard of him, but I love his books so much. Also _Even Cowgirls Get the Blues_ by Tom Robbins, _Alice in Wonderland_ and _Through the Looking-glass_ by Lewis Carroll, _Labyrinths_ by Jorge Luis Borges... Those are the books that became a part of me. Many of the books already mentioned in this thread are also lovely, inc. Hitchhiker's stuff, _Ender's Game_, etc. etc. etc. Of course, nowadays I read _The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding_ and _Go, Dog, Go_ but long ago I read for pleasure. ;) -jennifer, mommy to alice the bean, 8/15/97 http://www.emprl.psu.edu/~anth/ mailto:jls5@psu.edu "Some women have reported problems using Reality." -- Instructions for the female condom ------------------------------ From: Monotreme3@aol.com Message-ID: <294157b8.357f223b@aol.com> Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 20:18:02 EDT Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: good reads In a message dated 6/10/98 5:07:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ja0022@drake.edu writes: > Ender's Game Ha ha... I beat you to this one in a non-list mail. But I'm very happy that someone else suggested it. Ender's Game is certainly my favorite book. Aside from just simply being the first novel I ever read, Ender's Game probably helped in some way to shape who I am. Maybe it was psycho, but often, when I would get into trouble, I would think, "What would Ender do in this situation?" To anyone who hasn't read the book, you'll understand that if you read it. And check out the next three books in the Ender series, too: Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, and Children of the Mind. None of them are as good as the first one, but one neat thing to do (which I did over my Christmas break this year) is to read all four in a row, picking up one just minutes after finishing the last. It's a pretty neat experience, and it really left me with a lot of good feelings about life. Okay... anyway... enough of that. Back to being grumpy. Just read it. Argh. -Carey "Smashing toast, Gromit!" ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 17:31:05 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell vs. Al? Message-ID: I have news, the national lyricists society (of which there are about 300 members, myself included) declared TMBG in the top of two of their member polls. They were number 6 in fluidity of lyrics, and number 4 in ease of predictability (is that a word? anyway, it was something like that) Jon ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 17:40:00 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: NON TMBG: musical reccomendations Message-ID: I have a question. Have any of you ever listened to a band called The Posies? I am a member of their list and I went to a concert of theirs about a month ago. They are from my hometown (Bellingham, WA) and they rule! For a first album, I would reccomend getting either of these three "Amazing Disgrace", "Failure", or "Dear 23" Signing off, Jon Helfgott Noj Toggfleh ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 17:48:52 -0700 (PDT) From: "J. Brown" Subject: Re: NON TMBG: musical reccomendations Message-ID: > I have a question. Have any of you ever listened to a band called The > Posies? I am a member of their list and I went to a concert of theirs > about a month ago. They are from my hometown (Bellingham, WA) and they > rule! For a first album, I would reccomend getting either of these three > "Amazing Disgrace", "Failure", or "Dear 23" Signing off, I am big posies fan too but i live in seattle so thats no suprise. I heartily recomend Elvis Costello and XTC to any one with good taste. Jason Wilson Brown History & Canadian Studies Major President- GEEK The Secret Society of the College Bowl ringostr@u.washington.edu geekbowl@u.washington.edu P.O. Box 45822 Seattle, WA 98145-0822 (206) 632-4905 "Thought I knew all the steps quite clearly, I don't have a clue" -Elvis Costello ------------------------------ Message-Id: <9806110105.AA21439@willis.williams.edu> Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 21:10:36 +0100 From: sfbk@willis.williams.edu (Ben Knowles) Subject: TMBG: a couple things 1) to the new listee from iowa: that makes three of us from the corny state! chris stangl, myself, and now you. and if there happen to be any other iowans out there, please give a holler, i'd love to know. wow... three.. 2) 20 TABS?!? dude, that's usually not a smart thing to do. but evidently you lived through it relatively unscathed. (by the way, to the anti-LSD person, i've never done it myself but a lot of my friends have, and there are ways to deal responsibly with the drug. basically, if you're thinking about doing acid, the best thing to do is educate yourself and make an informed choice based on whether or not you think you can handle it. if you're not sure if you can [like me] then don't do it. no drug is completely safe, of course, duh, but nearly all drug-related mishaps can be avoided by just being informed. that's all.) oh yes, my point: books. i don't read as much as i should, but when i do it's usually something philosophical, so here's what i like: "1984," george orwell and "we," yevgeny zamyatin, the two greatest anti-utopian novels (stay away from Huxley's Brave New World. blech!) wait, perhaps those would be no good if paranoia is an issue. hmmm... anything and everything by Russell Hoban, a little-known author who i love to death. he does really cool children's books as well as adult novels. he has an amazing amount of creativity and a flair for the philosophical. crazy, funny, thoughtful, awesome. anything by tom robbins... i dunno, he's just fun to read. i like "skinny legs and all" a lot. peace out, ben ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 21:42:00 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Re: Non=TMBQ; Terry Gilliam Message-ID: <19980610.214202.3822.0.djMagma@juno.com> From: djmagma@juno.com (Davin Q. Hutchingstone) Thanks so much to all who contributed to the book suggestions. Now I won't need to ask that question again for a few years. Someone mentioned the movie Brazil. I'd like to mention some more Terry Gilliam movies. Obviously, all the Monty Pythons are great. (Flying Circus 1-26?, Holy Grail, Life of Brian, Completely Different, Meaning of Life, etc...) But the movies directed by Gilliam are, I think, even better. Here are ones I know/ have seen: 12 Monkees Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas The Adventures of Baron Munchensen (awesome!!!) Brazil Jabberwocky uuh... I know there's more. Someone help me out here... -me again _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Monotreme3@aol.com Message-ID: <39548f79.357f3ae1@aol.com> Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 22:02:57 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: a couple things In a message dated 6/10/98 9:08:15 PM Eastern Daylight Time, sfbk@willis.williams.edu writes: > "1984," george orwell and "we," yevgeny zamyatin, the two greatest > anti-utopian novels (stay away from Huxley's Brave New World. blech!) wait, > perhaps those would be no good if paranoia is an issue. hmmm... No way! Brave New World was a great book. Sure, I have to admit that 1984 was much better, but I wouldn't stay away from BNW for anything. It rocked. But yeah... definitely read 1984, if you haven't already. AND Brave New World... if you want. -Carey "I don't know.... I could be wrong." ------------------------------ From: OPERCMM@RoseVC.Rose-Hulman.Edu Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 21:05:32 -0500 (EST) Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Non=TMBQ; Terry Gilliam Message-id: <01IY3319LP4U8ZH80L@RoseVC.Rose-Hulman.Edu> >But the movies directed by Gilliam are, I think, even better. >Here are ones I know/ have seen: >12 Monkees >Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas >The Adventures of Baron Munchensen (awesome!!!) >Brazil >Jabberwocky >uuh... I know there's more. Time Bandits and The Fisher King pop to mind. - Chad "Muss du die schuhe da essen?" Maloney ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980610221012.006a93b8@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 22:10:12 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Books At 10:02 PM 6/10/98 EDT, Monotreme3@aol.com wrote: > >No way! Brave New World was a great book. Sure, I have to admit that 1984 was >much better, but I wouldn't stay away from BNW for anything. It rocked. But >yeah... definitely read 1984, if you haven't already. AND Brave New World... >if you want. Ooooh...I loved "Brave New World" when I read it in high school. I even bought the collection of essays regarding the book ("Brave New World Revisited", IIRC), but then, I'm a complete and utter dork. BTW! Read all 4 of Cecil Adams' "Straight Dope" books. They're incredibly informative, yet rather entertaining. You can get a sample at http://www.straightdope.com/ -Adam /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980611031806.00699eb4@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 22:18:06 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: good reads >> Ender's Game > >Ha ha... I beat you to this one in a non-list mail. But I'm very happy that >someone else suggested it. Ender's Game is certainly my favorite book. Aside >from just simply being the first novel I ever read, Ender's Game probably >helped in some way to shape who I am. Maybe it was psycho, but often, when I >would get into trouble, I would think, "What would Ender do in this >situation?" To anyone who hasn't read the book, you'll understand that if you >read it. And check out the next three books in the Ender series, too: Speaker >for the Dead, Xenocide, and Children of the Mind. None of them are as good as I agree with the Ender choices. Great assed books. LDB, Wo got a copy of Chaisin' Amy today. Woo Hoo, my collection is complete till next year. -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <9db4fa66.357f4d9a@aol.com> Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 23:23:05 EDT Subject: Re: Re: NON-TMBG: Books In a message dated 6/10/98 10:16:10 PM, ctyner@clemson.edu wrote: >BTW! Read all 4 of Cecil Adams' "Straight Dope" books. They're incredibly >informative, yet rather entertaining. You can get a sample at >http://www.straightdope.com/ yay! cecil! :D i used to stay up a couple years ago and watch marathons of that show on A&E.. that was great.. sarah ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #7-11 *****************************