Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #7-12 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 7, Number 12 Friday, 12 June 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: Saturday afternoon project NONTMBG: ENGLISH, PLEASE! Re: TMBG: Saturday afternoon project TMBG: the continuing saga of weird al Re: TMBG: Re: Non=TMBQ; Terry Gilliam NOT TMBG: Books Re: NON TMBG: musical reccomendations Re: NOT TMBG: Books Re: NONTMBG: ENGLISH, PLEASE! Re: TMBG: the continuing saga of weird al Re: TMBG: the continuing saga of weird al Re: TMBG: Saturday afternoon project TMBG: Bootlegs Re: NON TMBG: musical reccomendations TMBG: ifts and star wars NON-TMBG: stuck in a philadelphia? TMBG: NJ show Re: TMBG: NJ show TMBG: Addresses Re: TMBG: the continuing saga of weird al NON-TMBG: Good reads TMBG: OLGA TMBG: Dexterity TMBG: Movies, Books, and Giants Re: TMBG: Movies, Books, and Giants TMBG: They Might Be Giants on Jeopardy Re: NON-TMBG: Books, and stuff. TMBG: Istanbul (Not Constantinople) Re: TMBG: Istanbul (Not Constantinople) TMBG: non-tmbg:al and...hanson? Re: TMBG: non-tmbg:al and...hanson? Re: TMBG: non-tmbg:al and...hanson? Re: TMBG: non-tmbg:al and...hanson? Re: TMBG: non-tmbg:al and...hanson? TMBG: non-tmbg:al and...hanson? Re: TMBG: non-tmbg:al and...hanson? TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #7-11 Re: TMBG: non-tmbg:al and...hanson? Re: TMBG: They Might Be Giants on Jeopardy TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #7-11 TMBG: Sculptures TMBG: cast as spice girls Re: TMBG: They Might Be Giants on Jeopardy Re: TMBG: cast as spice girls Re: TMBG: They Might Be Giants on Jeopardy NON-TMBG: Moxy Fruvous/The Lowest Highest Point Is NOT In Deleware Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980610210545.006a96a4@glasscity.net> Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 21:05:45 -0400 From: Kelley Ketchmark Subject: TMBG: Saturday afternoon project Hi there, I am fortunate enough to own all the released albums and two e.ps...WDTSS and Istanbul. However, it still saddens me that there are tons of other tmbg songs out there that I've never heard...stuff from other e.ps as well as Dial a Songs... I've seen them in concert 5 times now but have never heard a bootleg. Flans said "nice socks" and drove away... I was wondering, if someone wouldn't mind, if you could slap them all on a tape (hey I won't even be super picky about quality) and send it to me? I'd be happy to pay you for the tape and postage...or perhaps we could trade tapes. (obviously I can't supply any rare tmbg-age) Or maybe I could send pictures of my friend's bedroom after a friend and I painted tmbg song images all over it. My friend made the 32 footsteps with the side of her hand... There was a globe equalling a dress... $IO..all kinds of crazy stuff...in red and fuchsia paint. It was really amazing...more so that the owner of the bedroom didn't paint over it! My more recent roommate is Turkish and says that the name "Istanbul" really is "Constantinople" but just slurred and mumbled over time. I found that funny... whew...longest post ever, Kelley ------------------------------ Message-ID: <357F1B80.A8C5954@tmbg.org> Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 23:49:24 +0000 From: "Chris \"Feeny\" Campbell" Subject: NONTMBG: ENGLISH, PLEASE! For all of us listies that don't speak a foreign language, please post a translation to posts in other languages. It's quite tedious to keep jumping to those translation pages, let alone trying to figure out what language it is. Thanks, -- -Chris "fEenY -don't leave us in the dark-" Campbell ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ TMBG SHRINE! Http://www.mix-net.net/~ccampbell E-mail - ccampbell@mix-net.net Or At - feeny@tmbg.org ----"No one understands, No one knows my plan" -John Linnell, ----"A note to myself, do the dumb things I gotta do, touch the puppet head" -John Flansburgh They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980611040247.00f7b358@pop.cwru.edu> Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 21:02:47 -0700 From: SpiderEyes Subject: Re: TMBG: Saturday afternoon project What kind of computer/web access do you have, Kelley? I can get you mp3's of a lot of b-sides and dial-a-song pieces, if you have a way to receive and play them (note: this service available to all upon request). And if that doesn't work for you, I know a lot of people here can send you bootleg tapes; the usual trade is two blank tapes plus postage. >Or maybe I could send pictures of my friend's bedroom after a friend and I >painted tmbg song images all over it. My friend made the 32 footsteps with That sounds pretty cool. Is there any way you could scan in the pictures and post them online so we could all see them? I can give you a space on my site if you need it. If you don't have access to a scanner, does anyone have one who'd be interested in receiving and scanning in Kelley's pictures? Just some thoughts, SpiderEyes ------------------ If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate. - Steven Wright ------------------------------ Message-Id: <9806118975.AA897541743@smtpgw.nsa.naples.navy.mil> Date: Wed, 10 Jun 98 15:03:37 +0100 From: "Christopher Ingalls" Subject: TMBG: the continuing saga of weird al Wow, there sure are some touchy "Weird Al" fans out there. Forgive me for expressing my opinion. I have nothing against people who like him, I just think that TMBG are much better. There. Can eveyone take me off their hit list now? Jeez...By the way, apologies to Jason -- in the personal e-mail I sent him, I told him to spell-check his e-mail, and then I - a journalist by trade - went and mispelled "accordion." How gauche. Your pal, Chris ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 03:45:54 -0500 (CDT) From: cyberspace buddha Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Non=TMBQ; Terry Gilliam Message-ID: On 10 Jun 1998 OPERCMM@RoseVC.Rose-Hulman.Edu wrote: > >But the movies directed by Gilliam are, I think, even better. > >Here are ones I know/ have seen: > > >12 Monkees > >Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas > >The Adventures of Baron Munchensen (awesome!!!) > >Brazil > >Jabberwocky > >uuh... I know there's more. > > Time Bandits and The Fisher King pop to mind. Check www.imdb.com. They even have a listing for "Defective Detective" which is supposed to come out in 1999, with Terry as writer/director. cheers, cb Cyberspace Buddha /(0\ What's on, your mind? mailto:cb@silverchat.com \1)/ http://silverchat.com/~cb Not your fathers buddha. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 04:57:11 -0500 (CDT) From: Jason L Subject: NOT TMBG: Books Message-ID: Well, I'm quite surprised that noone mentioned J.R.R. Tolkien with this book thread, and if someone did and I skimmed through/deleted the mail, sorry 'bout that. Anyway, Lord of the Rings, the hobbit, Simarillion, yadayadayada.... Another good book choice is Catch 22, its a book that'll mess with your head its so insane. Also, catch the Illuminatus if you liked 1984, Brave New World, etc. The lurker formerly known as Darkheart, the supreme idler on Efnet. TMBG AMBASSADOR TO ILLINOIS Soon-to-be-owner-of: Final Fantasy VII PC ------------------------------ From: Coffeesgrl@aol.com Message-ID: <352fcf11.357fb2cb@aol.com> Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 06:34:49 EDT Subject: Re: NON TMBG: musical reccomendations In a message dated 6/10/98 8:40:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time, helfgott@cc.wwu.edu writes: << I have a question. Have any of you ever listened to a band called The Posies? I am a member of their list and I went to a concert of theirs about a month ago. They are from my hometown (Bellingham, WA) and they rule! For a first album, I would reccomend getting either of these three "Amazing Disgrace", "Failure", or "Dear 23" Signing off, Jon Helfgott Noj Toggfleh >> I love the Posies!!! I'm just having a little problem trying to find Frosting on the Beater. I live in a smaller town in Pa and it's kinda hard to find a lot of Cd's and stuff. Oh, and this is my first post. I've been subscribed on this list since last summer, but never posted. =) ~alison ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: <6a91cf59.357fd116@aol.com> Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 08:44:04 EDT Subject: Re: NOT TMBG: Books Ok, as an English teacher, I can't resist contributing to this thread! I highly recommend a Polish sci fi/fantasy author named Stanislaw Lem. A good starting point is a collection of his stories called The Cosmic Carnival of Stanislaw Lem. His stories are actually like odd, twisted little fables. Very good indeed! Kay ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980611134512.0068f3b8@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 08:45:12 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: NONTMBG: ENGLISH, PLEASE! At 11:49 PM 6/10/98 +0000, Chris \"Feeny\" Campbell wrote: >For all of us listies that don't speak a foreign language, please post a >translation to posts in other languages. It's quite tedious to keep >jumping to those translation pages, let alone trying to figure out what >language it is. >Thanks, >-- Sorry Chris, But everytime I post in another language your not s'posed be able to read it, why else would I waste time translating it? :) !) LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980611095125.006aa4a0@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 09:51:25 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: the continuing saga of weird al At 03:03 PM 6/10/98 +0100, Christopher Ingalls wrote: > > > Wow, there sure are some touchy "Weird Al" fans out there. Touchy? Your original post was very offensive to fans of Al's, and it shows that you know absolutely nothing about the subject of your post. Some journalist. -Adam /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: "Mr. Me" Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 09:59:36 CST Subject: Re: TMBG: the continuing saga of weird al Message-ID: <6B21CEC0C69@athena.valpo.edu> a few things the weird al critic failed to notice: 1) weird al is a perfectionist. he spends a great deal of time making sure he sounds exactly like the artist he parodies. if you listen, you'll find he comes remarkably close, whether he's making fun of madonna, cobain, red hot chili peppers, or michael jackson. 2) most musicians feel it is an honor to be parodied by weird al. anyway, i'm not a big fan of al, and i think tmbg is a litlle more artistic, but not necessarily better. j [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] "Instead of creating new weapons of destruction, we ought to get some use out of the ones we already have." Deep Thoughts [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] Experience the many media of Jeremy Skrenes! Email: jskrenes@athena.valpo.edu Snail: or p356jskrenes@exodus.valpo.edu Wehrenberg Hall Airwaves: Sunday nights, 12-2am 95.1, WVUR Valparaiso, IN 46383 ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <230d6258.357ff442@aol.com> Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 11:14:09 EDT Subject: Re: Re: TMBG: Saturday afternoon project In a message dated 6/10/98 11:06:26 PM, you wrote: >If you don't have access to a scanner, does anyone have one who'd be >interested in receiving and scanning in Kelley's pictures? i have a scanner, but a sucky one. :) (eenh, i just have to go a little out of my way to not get green and red lines down the pictures.) i would have replied this to *your* email rather than the list, but the list botched up your addy.. sarah ------------------------------ From: mike12da@cyberwaves.com (Mike Mcguire) Subject: TMBG: Bootlegs Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 15:22:27 GMT Message-Id: <897578547@cyberwaves.com> Organization: SYNERGY RESOURCES, INC. Ok, I'm very acquainted with the tape trading process, and I'd like to start trading for some They, anyone that is willing to help out a beginner in the They realm, let me know, thanks. *Mike* ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 09:13:47 -0700 (PDT) From: "J. Brown" Subject: Re: NON TMBG: musical reccomendations Message-ID: On Thu, 11 Jun 1998 Coffeesgrl@aol.com wrote: > I love the Posies!!! I'm just having a little problem trying to find Frosting > on the Beater. I live in a smaller town in Pa and it's kinda hard to find a > lot of Cd's and stuff. Alison, I'd be glad to pick up a copy for you. It's really easy to find in seattle. I can get it new for you for $6.99. jason ------------------------------ From: "Mr. Me" Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 11:59:18 CST Subject: TMBG: ifts and star wars Message-ID: <6B41BAB0E8F@athena.valpo.edu> i found the possible star wars reference. it's at the end of some song, i think poison flowers, and it's a sample that says "it's a hit." i've seen the trilogy so often i can almost echo artoo deetoo's beeps off the top of my head, and that line does indeed pop up in some form in the death star run. however, the sample on ifts isn't from star wars. i'm almost positive that it's said with different tone and diction than the sample. jeremy [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] "Instead of creating new weapons of destruction, we ought to get some use out of the ones we already have." Deep Thoughts [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] Experience the many media of Jeremy Skrenes! Email: jskrenes@athena.valpo.edu Snail: or p356jskrenes@exodus.valpo.edu Wehrenberg Hall Airwaves: Sunday nights, 12-2am 95.1, WVUR Valparaiso, IN 46383 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980611172613.14082.rocketmail@send1c.yahoomail.com> Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 10:26:13 -0700 (PDT) From: Ana Ng Subject: NON-TMBG: stuck in a philadelphia? hey ana.ng, i have some reading that is absolutely hilarious and really very clever. the playwright is david ives and his collected works are called *all in the timing.* it's a series of fourteen short scenes and plays which ooze with ingenuity. i really suggest *philadelphia,* *variations on the death of trotsky,* and the first dialogue in the book (i forget what it's called, but it concerns two people named bill and betty who meet in a diner...my favorite). i think it's only about 12 bucks, so enjoy! -luv and accordion duels.-judy g. "there's no linking all of this with cheese." -kyle a. carrozza. *** "mmm...beefy." *** "don't call me at work again no, no, the boss still hates me and i'm just tired and i don't love you anymore..." -TMBG.-they'll need a crane. ***AnaNg64@tmbg.org: use it :o)*** _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: NoraChica@aol.com Message-ID: <15035c83.358016bd@aol.com> Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 13:41:16 EDT Subject: TMBG: NJ show Hey, Is anyone planning on going to the TMBG show in Atlantic City in a couple of weeks?? (forgive me if this has already been asked, but I just rejoined the list for the summer) Does anyone know any specifics? Time, Location (besides just "electronics convention at the Sheraton"....in relation to the boardwalk)?? Any other misc information? NoraChica :) ------------------------------ From: Superman25@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 13:54:18 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: NJ show hi > Hey, Is anyone planning on going to the TMBG show in Atlantic City in >a couple of weeks?? (forgive me if this has already been asked, but I just >rejoined the list for the summer) Does anyone know any specifics? Time, >Location (besides just "electronics convention at the Sheraton"....in relation >to the boardwalk)?? Any other misc information? i called the number provided by electric factory concerts, the show gets started at 1:30 PM on June 21 at the new AC Convention Center. it's right off the Atlantic City Expressway. call 484-9020 for more info. adam schaaf, who's going back to the beach. ------------------------------ From: Superman25@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 16:01:47 EDT Subject: TMBG: Addresses hi. did ryan staib (sp?) ever get his sound page back up? does anyone have the address handy? is ryan still on the list? why does my arm hurt when i do this? adam schaaf, the riddler. ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 14:32:58 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: the continuing saga of weird al Message-ID: <19980611.143338.3406.0.gray42@juno.com> A notable thing about Weird Al for me is the self oppinion based fact that often times, i like his version better than the original, not JUST the lyrics, but also the music as well. Which IMO seems to be richer and more vibrant, than the original artists, not to mention happier (but that goes without saying) Mysterio Gal (fellow Subgenius & Happy Mutant) " Have I been there? I live there! I made The School, I am The School! Anything that goes on there, they tell me first, I'm the boss, I control what goes on in the whole place. If you want to take a piss, you gotta ask me first." --Pitts ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3580403F.58F1@rica.net> Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 16:38:23 -0400 From: Joey Groah Subject: NON-TMBG: Good reads Comic-wise: Hitman- Garth Ennis, dark and funny, though I've only read the first few issues. Hellboy- just great, by Mike Mignola. Big devil-guy with horns investigates the paranormal, like the X-Files, but funny. JLA- Morrison has Vertigoed it up, hits the characterization dead on every issue. Flash- By Morrison or Waid, it's much more than a guy who runs fast. Simpson Comics - I buy it sporadically, usually fun. Uncle Scrooge - whatever adjective before the title, if it's done by Barks or Don Rosa, 8 out of 10 times it rocks. I picked up Rosa's 'Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck' with my arm twisted behind my back and have been hoked ever since. Money, hardship, tears, determination, life lessons, all served with great detail and laughs. Check libraries for 'The Cowboy Wally Show' by Kyle "Why I Hate Saturn" Baker. Uncategorical, very funny, very sad. Also get 'Maus', tell mom and dad you're reading pulitzer-winning stuff. I second Scud and Bone, though both have been a little lacking lately. Books: 'Slippage' latest from Harlan Ellison. C'mon, Leffel endorsed. If you've seen new prints of 'The Terminator' you've seen an out of court settlement with acknowlegement to the works of Harlan Ellison. Incidentally, HE's gonna be on Tom Snyder (CBS) on June 19, and at Dragon Con in September, along with Kevin Smith, Ray Harryhausen, the South Park guys and bunches of others. Collections of Stephen Jay Gould essays - 'Dinosuar in a Haystack' is terrific. Science stuff. The Alienist- by Caleb Carr. I keep re-starting this one, but he's better than Grisham. A Burnt-Out Case- By Graham Greene. Lepers, architects, God, redemption, isolation, hope, humanity. Not his most popular but my favorite. Hey, would you believe the local talk station's question of the day is "Who's your favorite comic book character?" in honor of Supes birthday? Gilliam also did 'Holy Grail' and 'And Now For Something Completely Different'(thanks to http://www.imdb.com for the assist on ANFSCD). Joey, long-winded and tired ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980611165519.006a2ec0@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 16:55:19 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: OLGA OLGA, a pretty interesting (if not entirely accurate :) collection of guitar tabs, is being shut down. Please take a look at http://www.olga.net/support.html and do what you can to keep OLGA going. -Adam /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot@aol.com Message-ID: <19da8f27.3580448b@aol.com> Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 16:56:41 EDT Subject: TMBG: Dexterity I sent this to tmbg-lsit@tmbg.org the first time, whoops... <> I think the more important question is, "can john linnell wrap his leg around his head?" Because that may be a dexterity thing & well, if John can't do that to begin with, it's no fair to say that he is not as good because he can't play the accordian while doing it. . .maybe John can cook fried fish while playing the accordian & Al might not be able to. . .would this make John automatically better? Oh, as for someone's comment about the accoiduan being a TMBG icon. . .my answer: yes, definitely, but a lot of it is because the fans make it into one. (I ahve seen non-live pictures of Mr. Linnell with horns though. . .) The last TMBG show I went to was a smaller one than I was used to & while the people were setting up the less-often played TMBG instruments (keyboard, guitar, bass & drums being the more often & stick, the sax, accordian, & glockenspiel, that's all I can think of right now, would be the less played ones). . .the accordian got more cheers than any other instrument. . .even Stick! Heck, I'd say the accordian got more cheers than Lincoln did! (I seriously would NOT trying to dis Lincoln here, but it was true.) jason "who hopes to one day open for TMBG & get less cheers than an inanimate object" glastetter ------------------------------ From: Spoonerism@aol.com Message-ID: <5a7608d5.35805886@aol.com> Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 18:21:57 EDT Subject: TMBG: Movies, Books, and Giants Well, all the discussion on the various mediums on the list recently has spurred me to write my own two rupees to the hat.... TMBG's Music: What attracted ME to Their music was the fact that they could do almost any genre of music. On Their albums, you could hear the Johns' pull of pop, rock, jazz, swing, conga, 80s synth, and even disco. The number of artists that can do this is extremely low. When Factory Showroom came out, I thought They were getting a little poppier, but Pet Name and I Can Hear You qualmed my fears sufficiently :) If you like Them for the same reason I do, then I HIGHLY reccomend that you go out and pick up a cope of David Byrne's "Feelings," which I can only describe as a musical trip through stylistic masterpieces of various styles of music (Sorry for the plug, but David Byrne never ceases to amaze me) Books: Check out Piers Anthony's XANTH series. They're lighthearted fantasies that are full of humour, color, and excitement. Not very heavy reading, but sometimes some bubble gum for the mind is just the trick ; ) And speaking of Terry Gilliam movies, has anyone ever seen TIME BANDITS or "The Life of Baron von Munchausen" (or something like that- not sure if that's Gilliam's but it sure is great!) Well, that's all for now, back to the shadows! _CAsey ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35806194.43E9@rica.net> Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 19:00:36 -0400 From: Joey Groah Subject: Re: TMBG: Movies, Books, and Giants > > And speaking of Terry Gilliam movies, has anyone ever seen TIME BANDITS or > "The Life of Baron von Munchausen" (or something like that- not sure if that's > Gilliam's but it sure is great!) > > _CAsey 'The Adventures of Baron Munchausen' is number 3 of Gilliam's trilogy of Life(?) Age(?). Time Bandits is the first (childhood), Brazil is the second (adulthood/middle age) and Munchausen is the third (old age). Out of all of Gilliam's films, Munchausen is my favorite. It's one of my top five favorite movies of all time. I love Time Bandits and Brazil, but Munchausen has that something extra; it does everything a movie should and more. Joey, thinks his ex has his Brazil soundtrack. D'oh! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980611192214.00872100@mail.csrlink.net> Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 19:22:14 -0400 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: TMBG: They Might Be Giants on Jeopardy Everyone, ASAP, turn to Jeopardy. They've got They Might Be Giants as a category. Not band questions, but still durn cool. Combine this with, a few months ago, when there were a few questions that seemed to be vaguely TMBG, perhaps we have a fan among the writers. Yay! Dylan "Mike Leffel could kick my grandma's arse at this game." Flipse Dylan Flipse...one of them. - dflipse@csrlink.net Dylan's page is at http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ for now. I'll never see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed -They Might Be Giants, the coolest thing this side of Zaphod Beeblebrox. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 19:00:06 -0500 (CDT) From: "Christopher M. Stangl" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Books, and stuff. Message-ID: On Wed, 10 Jun 1998, J. L. Moquin wrote: > I would LOVE to recommend Richard Brautigan, anything by > Brautigan, but he's apparently becoming harder to find. > But if you can find: > In Watermelon Sugar (*my favorite!!*) > The Pill Versus the Springhill Mine Disaster > Rommel Drives on Deep into Egypt > The Hawkline Monster > Sombrero Fallout > Revenge of the Lawn My favorite is probably "Revenge of the Lawn", though I'm also fond of "Trout Fishing In America"- "Revenge" just seems like a brisker read to me, and more clean and modern, which I like. -Chris Stangl ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Istanbul (Not Constantinople) Message-ID: <19980611.203027.8999.1.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 20:31:29 EDT I don't suppose there is any one out there who can get me a copy of They Might Be Giants' Istanbul (Not Constantinople) CD. But if you can, please e-mail me. Thanks! captainmarvel2@juno.com _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980611210328.006a1f68@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 21:03:28 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Istanbul (Not Constantinople) Go to http://gemm.com/ and search for They Might Be Giants. -Adam At 08:31 PM 6/11/98 EDT, Derek A Klein wrote: >I don't suppose there is any one out there who can get me a copy of They >Might Be Giants' Istanbul (Not Constantinople) CD. But if you can, >please e-mail me. Thanks! > >captainmarvel2@juno.com > >_____________________________________________________________________ >You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. >Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com >Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] > > /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: DrWormX@aol.com Message-ID: <86c27eca.358080f7@aol.com> Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 21:14:30 EDT Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg:al and...hanson? I just saw "Weird Al" Yankovic in the new Hanson video...eck...with a new hairdo (that better be a wig or something). Please, someone tell me that I made a horrendous error...please? Matt - hoping he's mistakin' The few surviving samurai surveyed the battle field, they count the arms, the legs, and heads, and then divide by five http://members.aol.com/DrWormX CHAT: http://members.tripod.com/~drworm/chat.html ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980612011704.0069bb8c@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 20:17:04 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: non-tmbg:al and...hanson? At 09:14 PM 6/11/98 EDT, DrWormX@aol.com wrote: >I just saw "Weird Al" Yankovic in the new Hanson video...eck...with a new >hairdo (that better be a wig or something). Please, someone tell me that I >made a horrendous error...please? > What'd the hair look like? And did Al direct the video? LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ From: DrWormX@aol.com Message-ID: <3673dcd.3580825f@aol.com> Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 21:20:29 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: non-tmbg:al and...hanson? it was like a weird-sideburn-gen-Xer cut. And, I dunno, I only kept it on until the music started, and I didn't even think to look at the beginning. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980611212222.006a7a9c@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 21:22:22 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: non-tmbg:al and...hanson? At 09:14 PM 6/11/98 EDT, DrWormX@aol.com wrote: >I just saw "Weird Al" Yankovic in the new Hanson video...eck...with a new >hairdo (that better be a wig or something). Please, someone tell me that I >made a horrendous error...please? Not only did he act in that part, but he also directed the Titanic parody parts. He's supposed to be Bill Paxton, btw. -Adam /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 21:23:45 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: non-tmbg:al and...hanson? In a message dated 98-06-11 21:15:33 EDT, DrWormX@aol.com writes: << I just saw "Weird Al" Yankovic in the new Hanson video...eck...with a new hairdo (that better be a wig or something). Please, someone tell me that I made a horrendous error...please? >> Weird Al directed the NON-HANSON parts of the new Hanson video...he directed and appears in the parts that is a parody of Titanic. And it is not a "new" hairdo, he is suppossed to be Bill Paxton from Titanic. Jordan ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg:al and...hanson? Message-ID: <19980611.212822.8999.2.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 21:29:21 EDT >I just saw "Weird Al" Yankovic in the new Hanson video...eck...with a new >hairdo (that better be a wig or something). Please, someone tell me that I >made a horrendous error...please? First of all, I don't know why "Weird Al" was in a Hanson video in the first place. My god, when I saw him, I too hoped it was a wig. But it seems not. It's a heck of a wig that covers a mustache. I always liked the way he looked. But now, he looks too...normal. Ugh... Derek _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980611213448.006a9aec@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 21:34:48 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: non-tmbg:al and...hanson? At 09:29 PM 6/11/98 EDT, Derek A Klein wrote: > >First of all, I don't know why "Weird Al" was in a Hanson video in the >first place. My god, when I saw him, I too hoped it was a wig. But it >seems not. It's a heck of a wig that covers a mustache. I always liked >the way he looked. But now, he looks too...normal. Ugh... He's shaved his moustache for videos before (like "Ricky"). Al's been toying around with a number of looks since he got the eye surgery that makes it unnecessary for him to wear glasses any longer. -Adam /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 21:47:23 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #7-11 Message-ID: <19980611.214725.3766.0.djMagma@juno.com> From: djmagma@juno.com (Davin Q. Hutchingstone) Ok, is it "Memo to myself" or A note to my self on Puppet Head? I have always thought it was memo. -Dave P.S.- Disreguard any plugs made by Juno at the end of this message. Anyone know how to "get rid of it?" (spider......) ____________________________________________________ !@#$%^&*()_-+=[{]}\|'";:/?.>,?-=[]\;',./ completely random ?!@+#_(^$%<:>|]['/<>?:")!@#)(*&^%$##+_-=>?,./;'[]\=- "Let's get stupid!!!" - Digital Underground, The Humpty Dance _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980612021139.0068dc80@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 21:11:39 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: non-tmbg:al and...hanson? At 09:29 PM 6/11/98 EDT, Derek A Klein wrote: >>I just saw "Weird Al" Yankovic in the new Hanson video...eck...with a >new >>hairdo (that better be a wig or something). Please, someone tell me >that I >>made a horrendous error...please? > >First of all, I don't know why "Weird Al" was in a Hanson video in the >first place. My god, when I saw him, I too hoped it was a wig. But it >seems not. It's a heck of a wig that covers a mustache. I always liked >the way he looked. But now, he looks too...normal. Ugh... > Al shaved the mustache awhile back. It scared me when I first saw it. LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 22:16:57 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Giants on Jeopardy In a message dated 6/11/98 6:25:51 PM, dflipse@csrlink.net wrote: >Everyone, ASAP, turn to Jeopardy. They've got They Might Be Giants as a >category. Not band questions, but still durn cool. Combine this with, a few >months ago, when there were a few questions that seemed to be vaguely TMBG, >perhaps we have a fan among the writers. Yay! ahhh.. that's.. interesting:) what were the questions? ((ben stein's $ is still more entertaining than jeopardy... :} )) sarah ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 22:17:23 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #7-11 Message-ID: <19980611.222811.3406.0.gray42@juno.com> I second "Memo" Mysterio Gal (who thinks this may be the shortest post she's ever typed) " Have I been there? I live there! I made The School, I am The School! Anything that goes on there, they tell me first, I'm the boss, I control what goes on in the whole place. If you want to take a piss, you gotta ask me first." --Pitts ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 22:26:45 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Sculptures Message-ID: <19980611.222811.3406.1.gray42@juno.com> Geez, I was trying to make a sculpy sculpture of a very good friend, but I messed up, and now it looks like John Linnell, like the pics of the Johns on the official website, the one where the group cheerfully displays their brand new air pillows that they got from the airport, yes, one of the rare shots of Linnell where he's wearing a big smile, and the picture isn't an overhead shot. I don't know how to react to this, It's both a very good, and a bad thing (and I always thought my friend looked more like Flansburgh, he's bot the glasses and the personality, but he has Linnells hair, when it was long anyway). Hmmmmm.... As far as bust sculptures, I still have much to learn, like getting a person to look as they are supposed to, and the one I did of myself turned out to look like what would happen if you blended Bjork and Freddy Kruger together, w/ out the burnt flesh look, so it isn't horrifically scary, it just does not look like me. Mysterio Gal (an Arteest!) " Have I been there? I live there! I made The School, I am The School! Anything that goes on there, they tell me first, I'm the boss, I control what goes on in the whole place. If you want to take a piss, you gotta ask me first." --Pitts ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <8d54d838.3580983c@aol.com> Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 22:53:47 EDT Subject: TMBG: cast as spice girls alright. i'm sure i'm sorry about this. but the imagery is *really* hilarious if you can picture it in your head. jay (sirjamez) and i were talking, and somehow got onto the topic of tmbg covering the spice girls.. and - yes, this is silly and strange and the spice girls represent all that is evil, *but* picturing this is a real good laugh. :) it's just an attempt at humour. we never said you have to like it. :} here's what we came up with: [flans] singing "if you wanna be my luh-va.." (just *picture* it..) to linnell with linnell playing keyboard in the background.. KdsInThHal: and hal in some brit-flag print spandex shorts and silver platform shoes SaturnChrd: dan in a sports bra and bikini undewear? KdsInThHal: flans in a leopard print jacket KdsInThHal: and a gold tank top KdsInThHal: and black vinyl bellbottoms SaturnChrd: linnell covered in luxurious white fur over top of a cleavage revealing, floor-reaching dress. alright, anyone, feel free to add.. and please remember.. this thread is amongst threads about books and weird al. this actually contains TMBG. ;) sarah ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 21:01:11 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Giants on Jeopardy Message-ID: <19980611.210121.3886.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> hEy HEY! >ahhh.. that's.. interesting:) what were the questions? thanks to the quick actin' folk on the east-coast i managed to record the show before i went out... $200 THIS TOWERING PHILISTINE STOOD 6 CUBITS AND A SPAN EQUAL TO 9'9" -Who Is Goliath $400 HE'S 7'1" 315 POUNDS AND THE STARTING CENTER FOR THE LOS ANGELES LAKERS -Who is Shaq $600 AN ANCIENT WONDER, THIS SYMBOL OF LANGUAGES STOOD AT THE HARBOR OF RHODES -What Is The Colossus (?) $800 THIS OCEAN GIANT HAS THE LARGEST EYES OF ANY CREATURE -What Is The Giant Squid $1000 HE WAS GARGANTUA'S SON -alex mumbled the answer... and unfortuantely i don't know the answer off the top of my head take it easy, but take it! JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::DUST rafting tomorrow::: :::Widespread Panic 6/13::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35809C31.5637@rica.net> Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 23:10:41 -0400 From: Joey Groah Subject: Re: TMBG: cast as spice girls > [flans] singing "if you wanna be my luh-va.." (just *picture* it..) to linnell > with linnell playing keyboard in the background.. > KdsInThHal: and hal in some brit-flag print spandex shorts and silver platform > shoes > SaturnChrd: dan in a sports bra and bikini undewear? > KdsInThHal: flans in a leopard print jacket > KdsInThHal: and a gold tank top > KdsInThHal: and black vinyl bellbottoms > SaturnChrd: linnell covered in luxurious white fur over top of a cleavage > revealing, floor-reaching dress. > sarah Thas the way TMBG dressed at every show I've been to. Joey, more afraid of the rubber pants at Tori Amos concerts ------------------------------ From: Superman25@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 23:39:19 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Giants on Jeopardy hi. > $1000 HE WAS GARGANTUA'S SON > -alex mumbled the answer... and unfortuantely i don't know the > answer off the top of my head who is pantegruel. adam schaaf, your classical literature guide. ------------------------------ From: CajunGram@aol.com Message-ID: <80055b07.3580bfcc@aol.com> Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 01:42:35 EDT Subject: NON-TMBG: Moxy Fruvous/The Lowest Highest Point Is NOT In Deleware Oh man!! I was looking in the Guiness Book of World Records for 1996, and I came across the geography section. I noticed a side bar that had the highest points in order of highness (is that a word?" and at the bottom, it was not Delaware, but Florida. It was only about a 50 foot difference, but still significant enough to mention... Graham "When life gives you lemons... you suck" ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #7-12 *****************************