Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #7-14 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 7, Number 14 Sunday, 14 June 1998 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: somewhat tmbg: he's bacK! NON_TMBG: Iowa Re: NON_TMBG: Iowa Re: NON_TMBG: Iowa Re: NON_TMBG: locales Re: NON_TMBG: Iowa Re: NON_TMBG: locales Re: NON_TMBG: Florida TMBG: Sound of Print Re: NON_TMBG: locales Re: NON_TMBG: locales Re: NON_TMBG: Kentucky Re: NON_TMBG: locales TMBG: A Whole Lotta Stuff TMBG: ??? TMBG: 1 copy of Flood on vinyl available on WWW Re: TMBG: Please REPLY to CONFIRM [tmbg-list@tmbg.org/8291984] Re: TMBG: Flansy and Ginger Spice Re: TMBG: Flansy and Ginger Spice Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <002c01bd969b$d4a321c0$14321ed1@refund.rcn.nmt.edu> From: "Refund" Subject: Re: TMBG: somewhat tmbg: he's bacK! Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 01:21:03 -0600 Ok ok ok...sorry it took me so long to respond to this. I've been working a lot lately. I was just wondering if the 'Nick Wolf' quoted below (i.e. way down at the bottom) is someone else, or if I actually said that. :0) Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the state of New Mexico -----Original Message----- From: Charles Hodges To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Sunday, June 07, 1998 7:58 AM Subject: TMBG: somewhat tmbg: he's bacK! >Well, I'm finally back, and with normal punctuation this time! (I guess >my English teacher side got the better of my poet side... whatever.) >After suffering a terrible hard drive crash and being terrifically busy >with end-of-semester stuff, and having hotmail erase about half my >e-mails, I finally found time to get a little caught up. As always, >I'll go by topics. > >a) /me gnashes his teeth in envy as all the TMBG listies listen to their >It's Fun to Steal CDs. I know I'll still have to wait at least 2 weeks, >but I'll get it soon, I guarantee. > >b) I agree, sarcasism is funny, especially when it's spelled like that. > >c) What's wrong with Prince? I find it makes a lot of sense for Linnell >to cite him as an influence (a lot more than when Nine Inch Nails >mentions Prince as an influence). I mean, on TMBG's first albums, the >two of them played (almost) all the instruments, just like Prince does >on some of his albums (not that that's the only influence i see, but... >I can't think of anything more to say on this topic. Just wanted to >defend Prince). > >d) Living out of the U.S. just helps prove my theory that it's the >country in the world that most makes people crazy. My (quite unformed) >idea is that it's because people don't have anything to worry about, I >mean survivalwise. So their minds start wandering. In Brazil we have a >saying something like this: "An empty mind is the devil's workshop." >Please know I'm not referring to anyone on the list specifically >(certainly not that silly "stalker" story), but all this talk on >paranoia drove me to comment. > >e) Finally for some TMBG content. Like I said, Hotmail very kindly >considered my e-mail containing the John's birthdays irrelevant and >deleted it. Could someone send me that agian, please? > >HW (r) aka platybuS aka enjauladO aka Official They Might be Giants >Ambassador to Brazil > >---------- >CD listened to: Prince's "Sign "O" the Times" (classic!) >Last movie seen: Austin Powers >"I thought irrationally" - Nick Wolf >I know there's something missing there, but I can't remember. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 02:35:49 -0500 (CDT) From: The Weirdo in Residence Subject: NON_TMBG: Iowa Message-id: <01IY67LVTD3800183D@ACAD.DRAKE.EDU> Subject: NON_TMBG: Iowa Date: Fri, 12 Jun 98 18:08:46 -0000 From: Sean Kinlin Ben Knowles wrote: >1) to the new listee from iowa: that makes three of us from the corny >state! chris stangl, myself, and now you. and if there happen to be any >other iowans out there, please give a holler, i'd love to know. wow... >three.. Well, here's another one, reporting from Drake University in Des Moines, IA. Actually, it was a friend my freshman year that introduced me to TMBG in all their glory, and I have been a fan since. Thanks to my first year roomate, I can still recite _Ana Ang_ in my sleep.... There is a pretty good following here at Drake. Making a hole with a gun perpendicular, ______________________________________________________________________ | o^o/ The Left Honourable D.r. Thomas L. Kula, GmPL, GON, OFM, OFB | | < The Louis P. Weatherbacker Weirdo in Residence | | _ "Weird Gratia Weirdus" | | # tk0003@acad.drake.edu | http://207.28.190.101/~tkula/ | |____________________________________________________________________| ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 10:50:36 -0500 (CDT) From: "Robin L. Mitchell" Subject: Re: NON_TMBG: Iowa Message-ID: don't think that there are only a couple of people from Iowa. I am born and raised. 21 years in the state. Now i am in Iowa City. it really isn't that bad... On Fri, 12 Jun 1998, Sean Kinlin wrote: > Ben Knowles wrote: > > >1) to the new listee from iowa: that makes three of us from the corny > >state! chris stangl, myself, and now you. and if there happen to be any > >other iowans out there, please give a holler, i'd love to know. wow... > >three.. > > Sean Kinlin, reporting in from Cedar Falls, IA. I've been an Iowan for > less than a year, actually. Before that I lived in Ann Arbor, Michigan. > I've been a member of the e-mail list (in its various forms) since Sept. > 1992. > > > -Sean > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3582D215.29D7@fuse.net> Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 12:25:09 -0700 From: jays your one-paged dictionary Organization: dial-a-song! 718-287-6962, narrrrrrrrr! Subject: Re: NON_TMBG: Iowa Robin L. Mitchell wrote: > don't think that there are only a couple of people from Iowa. I am born > and raised. 21 years in the state. Now i am in Iowa City. it really > isn't that bad... yes, yes--it doesn't seem to be. but let's see how many tmbg fans hail from my home state of kentucky--even in the more cosmopolitan northern area, true john lovers are few and far between. i haven't met one who has listened (or wishes to listen) to anything more than flood. it's pitiful. strictly pitiful. peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jay. -- jayhc--always accurate, constant, and intense. e-mail: sirjamez@fuse.net, phonebook@tmbg.org aol im: SaturnChrd, PhoneBookJ irc: PhoneBook "and sadly the cross-eyed bear's been put to sleep behind the stairs, and his shoes are laced with irony." --tmbg "Hey, some people take drugs and some people like to have sex all day, I like to watch my bees as I make music, so what." --steve vai -- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19980613125146.007a4e00@pop.cwru.edu> Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 12:51:46 -0400 From: SpiderEyes Subject: Re: NON_TMBG: locales Okay, as long as we're getting silly about this "who's from my state" stuff, we may as well all come out now and get it over with, while we don't have anything on-topic to discuss. I'm from Cleveland (University Circle- CWRU), Seattle (Redmond- Microsoft), and DC (Alexandria), and I visit Portland, OR too. So who's here from Ohio, the Northwest, or the DC/VA/MD area? - SpiderEyes, whose only stable home address is her online one- jenc.home.ml.org ------------------------------ From: Drayco@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 12:55:19 EDT Subject: Re: NON_TMBG: Iowa Ben Knowles wrote: >1) to the new listee from iowa: that makes three of us from the corny >state! chris stangl, myself, and now you. and if there happen to be any >other iowans out there, please give a holler, i'd love to know. wow... >three.. Add another check to the total. Althoug I technically reside in New Jersey, I spend most of my time in Grinnell, IA, where I go to school. --Jamal ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980613175352.0068ed2c@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 12:53:52 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: NON_TMBG: locales At 12:51 PM 6/13/98 -0400, SpiderEyes wrote: >Okay, as long as we're getting silly about this "who's from my state" >stuff, we may as well all come out now and get it over with, while we don't >have anything on-topic to discuss. > >I'm from Cleveland (University Circle- CWRU), Seattle (Redmond- Microsoft), >and DC (Alexandria), and I visit Portland, OR too. So who's here from >Ohio, the Northwest, or the DC/VA/MD area? > I'm not from any of those places. (But Cleveland is the home of Howard The Duck, so I love it) I am currently resided in Kansas. About the middle of the state. But seeing as little over a year ago I was in Indianapolis (and boy was I pissed that I didn't get to see ATR and Beck!), there's no telling where I'll be living a year from now. From the L to the D to the B -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 15:06:32 -0400 Subject: Re: NON_TMBG: Florida Message-ID: <19980613.150814.3478.0.gray42@juno.com> Well I'm from Venice, Florida, and nothing like the other Venices in the world, this one is excruciatingly small (not even a mall to speak of), full of old people, stuck up preps, the occasional liberal teen or mutant, and extremely dull, so all of us luberal mutants are forced to take matters into our own hands and mamke hang outs like The Third Place (which completely failed after 2 years of service), and now we hang out at Denny's and Perkins, and scare all the old senile people away from their plates. And when I say old I mean people in their 80's+. But we are lucky to live next to Sarasota, which actually appeares on the weather maps of news stations (Venice does not), and has a lot of adult fun places, Dennys, Perkins, 5 points, Exile, Cafe Calde, the mall, and the Ringling school of fine art, and of course Boogie Woogie, a good place to find every TMBG, Negativeland, Devo, Royal Crown Revue, Danny Elfman, and much more music ever made. Venice is also home to a few geniuses, such as: Sir Millard Mulch, and Dr. Plutonium Wilson. The rest of em' live in/have moved to Sarasota. That's all I can say about my very small area. I highly doubt it, but I'll ask... Is anyone at least a 1-3 hour drive away from Sarasota County? If you are close, you may want to come to Sir Millard Mulch's show tonight at 8:30 p.m. at Brownstone (a bar near 5 points), all ages welcome, 1$ donations would be appreciated, special appearences made by William Maier (starred in Project Omicron and Goiter Boy) and Dr. Plutonium Wilson (creator of Project Omicron) I know that most of you live absurdly far away from Sarasota County, and that this is no TMBG concert, but just in case anyone is close, and just in case anyone is intertested in comming, I'm posting this. Please don't hate me for my spam, I don't do it very often (if this is even what Spam is)(I personally thought it was canned meat before I got a PC) Mysterio Gal (fellow Subgenius & Happy Mutant) " Have I been there? I live there! I made The School, I am The School! Anything that goes on there, they tell me first, I'm the boss, I control what goes on in the whole place. If you want to take a piss, you gotta ask me first." --Pitts--Project Omicron ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 15:44:05 EDT Subject: TMBG: Sound of Print hey all.. i was browsing the swankarmy pages as i am known to do :) (i swear i'll never see it all..) and found a very cool one called "sound of print" which is essentially a gallery of graphics and fonts inspired by music. there's one for tmbg's "new york city"... but the image won't load for me. :P anyways it's right... here: http://www.swankarmy.net/sound/art/design/nyc/ sarah http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 13:51:34 -0600 Subject: Re: NON_TMBG: locales Message-ID: <19980613.135137.11102.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> hEY HEy! well, i'm from good ol' D-town (denver). I think Russ (the video bootleg guy) is somewhere in colorado as well. there are a couple more tmbg fans that live in denver on IRC #tmbg. but that's all i can think of... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::*widespread panic*, *galactic*, *everything* TONIGHT @ Red Rocks::: (yes, this show sold out. heh, the pearl jam, hanson, and spice girl shows still have tickets availabe... months after they went on sale) _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980613210617.22519.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Sarah Starr" Subject: Re: NON_TMBG: locales Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 14:06:16 PDT >Okay, as long as we're getting silly about this "who's from my state" >stuff, we may as well all come out now and get it over with, while we don't >have anything on-topic to discuss. I am from Torrington, CT. If you live some where else, be glad and try to avoid Northwestern CT where I live....there is no train, no bus, no escape!!! Fortunately, I go to school in New Rochelle, NY, which is a mere stone's throw from NYC (you can see Co-op City in the Bronx from the end of the road the college is on). I go into the city all the time from there, and have been to Park Slope (one of my friends had a job there once) and Williamsburg *shudder* (I was right near the East River, it smelled like something nasty on fire, and my two friends and I missed the last Metro North train back to New Rochelle and ended up stranded in the city all night...blecch) in Brooklyn, but I spend most of my city time shopping in the East Village. Is there anyone else from CT here? Or Western MA (I am close to there)? Sarah faye the vampire princess http://www.angelfire.com/ca/sarianway sarian@hotmail.com eurydice7@starmail.com marymae@hotmail.com lindramine@hotmail.com essie2000@mailcity.com angel7@snet.net Confutatis maledictis, flammis acribus addictis, voca me cum benedictis. Oro supplex et acclinis, cor contritum quasi cinis, gere curam mei finis. --Mozart's Requiem Goth Code v3.1A--GoAu5 TJtYin7 PMoShDe B8/20Bk"1 cBk(Br)-s5 V6 M4 ZMehTeiMegCl C6o a17- n5F b46 H157 g4T??97 mEa4@z4 w6T v5M r4BIS p2ZZZZZz D87! h5 sF7M SsYn k3Mm N1196EWH RdS LusNY6 ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19980613165802.00aa501c@mail.qx.net> Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 16:58:05 -0400 From: Bill Kirby Subject: Re: NON_TMBG: Kentucky >From: jays your one-paged dictionary >Subject: Re: NON_TMBG: Iowa > >yes, yes--it doesn't seem to be. but let's see how many tmbg fans hail >from my home state of kentucky--even in the more cosmopolitan northern >area, true john lovers are few and far between. i haven't met one who >has listened (or wishes to listen) to anything more than flood. it's >pitiful. strictly pitiful. lexington, ky, here. and i agree. tmbg just doesn't seem to have a lot of fans around here... -bk ************************************************** Get ready for the EXPANSION Browns coming in 1999! ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sat, 13 Jun 98 17:26 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: NON_TMBG: locales I am from Alma, MI, a teeny little college town that was worth nothing, until last October when TMBG graced the Alma College gym with their presence. *happysigh* Two blocks from my house. :) Kirs -- [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] "And she said losing love is like a window in your heart Everybody sees you're blown apart..." - Paul Simon "Graceland" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980613220245.11830.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Jason F." Subject: TMBG: A Whole Lotta Stuff Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 15:02:44 PDT This always happens, I don't post for the longest time and then all of these thoughts explode out of my head...anyway... - I was listening to IFTS and some thoughts occured to me about Dedicated and Backstabbing Liar, which is the next track. I'm sure this isn't what Flans intended when he wrote them, but to me these two songs could be interpreted as the two sides to an imaginary feud between the Johns that many people assume exists, what with the side projects and all. Dedicated would be Flans' thoughts on the rift, with Linnell being the dedicated friend, as in dedicated to TMBG instead of romping and cavorting with a second band. And Flans' "secret identity" would be the lead singer of Mono Puff. Backstabbing Liar would represent Linnell's view of Flansburgh: "backstabbing liar has learned to write songs". Again this is my own warped creation and not to be taken seriously by any means. - As far as the treatment of new listies goes, I think what certain people on the list have to realize is that just because an individual is new to the TMBG list does not mean that they are new to TMBG. I personally had been listening to TMBG for 5 years before going online and joining the list in March. - Anyone who lives in Pittsburgh is probably aquainted with the amphibious boat/car thingy that gives people tours by driving them around the streets and then taking them into the river (Just Ducky Tours I think). Anyway, I was crossing the bridge coming out of Station Square when I found myself sitting next to the thing at a red light. I happened to have the Pink album in the car with me and quickly lowered the windows and cranked up Boat of Car. Some people on the tour turned and looked at me but I don't think anyone caught on. (wow that was long AND pointless...sorry) - Is it Extra Krispy like on the back of the case or is it Extra Crispy like in the liner notes? - What exactly does this Plen-T Pak guy from Double Dong do in Extra K(C)rispy? I don't hear any rap, which is what he's credited for. (Except the occassional "uh") - Any news on the first IFTS single? I guess that's it... --Jason "is it pronounced LEFFel or leffELL?" Fickley "Hot Cha, where are you? Everybody's eyes are closed." -They Might Be Giants ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <9806132306.AA26568@willis.williams.edu> Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 19:11:58 +0100 From: sfbk@willis.williams.edu (Ben Knowles) Subject: TMBG: ??? there's a techno/hip-hop dj/producer i like named towa tei (used to be a member of deee-lite). i was checking out his discography and it says he remixed "your racist friend." does anyone know anything about this? i was surprised. ben aka nub ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19980613185412.007f2a70@email.psu.edu> Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 18:54:12 -0400 From: "J. L. Moquin" Subject: TMBG: 1 copy of Flood on vinyl available on WWW I don't know if any of you here have heard of ebay... It's a web-based auction service. It's also an addiction. :\ Anyway, There's a "near-mint" (acc. to the seller) copy of Flood available at http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=17145706 The auction ends at 6:42 am PDT on Tuesday. No one has bid on the LP yet, price is starting at $4.99. You got more questions, check out ebay's main page -- they have a tutorial and everything! :) -jennifer, mommy to alice the bean, 8/15/97 http://www.emprl.psu.edu/~anth/ mailto:jls5@psu.edu "Some women have reported problems using Reality." -- Instructions for the female condom ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 19:45:31 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: Please REPLY to CONFIRM [tmbg-list@tmbg.org/8291984] Message-ID: I got it ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 19:48:02 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: Flansy and Ginger Spice Message-ID: Linnel would be okay, but he had his victory on an internet poll, now it's Flansy's turn. Plus, Linnell isn't quite contradictory to the Spice Girls image enough, while Flansy is Jon Helfgott Noj Toggfleh ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35836AB0.55C2@fuse.net> Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 23:16:16 -0700 From: jays your one-paged dictionary Organization: dial-a-song! 718-287-6962, narrrrrrrrr! Subject: Re: TMBG: Flansy and Ginger Spice leonard helfgott wrote: > Linnel would be okay, but he had his victory on an internet poll, now it's > Flansy's turn. Plus, Linnell isn't quite contradictory to the Spice Girls > image enough, while Flansy is i'm resentful. ;P linnell is every bit as contradictory to the "spice girls image" as flansy; if anything, flansy is closer, in my opinion. but neither are so close to make this argument anything but absurd. ;) ah, well. peace, love, and good happiness stuff, your neighborhood evil spice, jay. -- jayhc--always accurate, constant, and intense. e-mail: sirjamez@fuse.net, phonebook@tmbg.org aol im: SaturnChrd, PhoneBookJ irc: PhoneBook "and sadly the cross-eyed bear's been put to sleep behind the stairs, and his shoes are laced with irony." --tmbg "Hey, some people take drugs and some people like to have sex all day, I like to watch my bees as I make music, so what." --steve vai -- ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #7-14 *****************************