Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #7-17 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 7, Number 17 Wednesday, 17 June 1998 Today's Topics: Re: NON-TMBG: What's in a name Re: NON-TMBG: What's in a name TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ Re: TMBG: Welcome to PostMaster Direct! Re: NON-TMBG: What's in a name Re: NON-TMBG: What's in a name TMBG: YRF Sampla-Delic Mix TMBG: Re: Uncle Squid TMBG: Re: Uncle Squid TMBG: Pink/Big Blue Dog/eponymous/First album on vinyl on ebay TMBG: US vs. UK: Slamfest '98 TMBG: Fruvous Article :) Re: TMBG: Ride needed to Monopuff show on Wed. TMBG: Re: non-tmbg: TJHSST Re: TMBG: US vs. UK: Slamfest '98 Re: TMBG: Atlantic City show Re: TMBG: Re: Uncle Squid TMBG content!! Re: TMBG: Fruvous Article :) TMBG: TMBG concert in Milwaukee, WI Re: TMBG: TMBG concert in Milwaukee, WI Re: TMBG: TMBG concert in Milwaukee, WI Re: TMBG: Atlantic City show Re: NON-TMBG: What's In A Name? Re: TMBG: TMBG concert in Milwaukee, WI Re: NON-TMBG: What's in a name? Re: TMBG: TMBG concert in Milwaukee, WI Re: NON-TMBG: What's in a name Re: NON-TMBG: What's in a name NONTMBG: on the subject of alcohol Re: NON-TMBG: What's in a name Re: TMBG: TMBG concert in Milwaukee, WI TMBG: She's Actual Size Re: NON-TMBG: What's in a name Re: TMBG: She's Actual Size TMBG: UN-tmbg: New York City Re: TMBG: TMBG concert in Milwaukee, WI Re: TMBG: TMBG concert in Milwaukee, WI Not really TMBG: Tony Maimone & Soul Coughing TMBG: Alcohol Re: Not really TMBG: Tony Maimone & Soul Coughing Re: Not really TMBG: Tony Maimone & Soul Coughing Re: NON-TMBG: What's in a name Re: Not really TMBG: Tony Maimone & Soul Coughing Re: NON-TMBG: What's in a name Re: Not really TMBG: Tony Maimone & Soul Coughing Re: NON-TMBG: What's in a name Re: TMBG: Atlantic City show Re: NON-TMBG: What's in a name? Re: NON-TMBG: What's in a name Re: TMBG: random thoughts of an old-timer TMBG: She's Actual Size Re: NON-TMBG: What's in a name? Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980616011133.00692270@pop.indy.net> Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 01:11:33 -0400 From: rachel Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: What's in a name >On Mon, 15 Jun 1998, rachel wrote: > >> idiot wrote: >> >--Uncle "too drunk to find rational thought" Squid >> >> oooooohhh, you are soooo cool! > jason wrote: >hey what's wrong with alittle recreational drinking? i don't wanna get all preachy on your ass, as a matter of fact i really don't care if you drink or not. but i wish some people would grow up and realize that drinking doesn't make you cool, and, beleive it or not, makes you do some pretty stupid things sometimes. it seems to me that some people feel that they should be applauded for their stupidity, or lack of common sense. i mean, why else would someone post to the list about how incredibly drunk they are and how little sense they are making? meow, rachel ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 23:25:46 -0700 (PDT) From: "J. Brown" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: What's in a name Message-ID: On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, rachel wrote: > >hey what's wrong with alittle recreational drinking? > i don't wanna get all preachy on your ass, as a matter of fact i really > don't care if you drink or not. but i wish some people would grow up and > realize that drinking doesn't make you cool, and, beleive it or not, makes > you do some pretty stupid things sometimes. it seems to me that some people > feel that they should be applauded for their stupidity, or lack of common > sense. i mean, why else would someone post to the list about how incredibly > drunk they are and how little sense they are making? I don't think Uncle Squid thought he was being cool posting that he was drunk. Why he chose to post when he was drunk can be explained easily He was drunk! He didn't think before posting. His note at the end was so that anything stupid he said could be taken in the context that he was drunk, and thus ignored. Now i could be wrong maybe Uncle Squid thought it would be really cool to get drunk and post othe TMBG list. So he sat at home in front of his computer pounding some Guinness until he was properly fucked to say something stupid. But i hope thats not the Case I have more faith in Uncle Squid. I can't believe i just typed I faith in someone named Uncle Squid! jason ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 03:15:01 -0400 (EDT) From: Majordomo Message-Id: <199806160715.DAA27621@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT When you send a message to the list you are sending messages to hundreds of people. Make sure that your message is one that hundreds of people need to read. Do not send "me too" messages to the list. Do not send messages about non-tmbg topics to the list. Hold private conversations in private e-mail. Sending messages that the list administrator deems off topic will result in your being removed from the list. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 02:27:05 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Welcome to PostMaster Direct! Message-ID: <19980616.032439.3630.0.gray42@juno.com> On Mon, 15 Jun 1998 15:08:16 -0700 jays your one-paged dictionary writes: >we must find out who this guy is, skin him alive, and roast him over >the >pit at tmbg.com. You left out the bit where all the Giantheads chant "BLOOD, BLOOD, BLOOD, BLOOD, BLOOD!" 8) >peace, love, and good happiness stuff, >jay. > Mysterio Gal (BLOOD BLOOD BLOOD BLOOD) " Have I been there? I live there! I made The School, I am The School! Anything that goes on there, they tell me first, I'm the boss, I control what goes on in the whole place. If you want to take a piss, you gotta ask me first." --Pitts ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19980616100741.007cb190@mail-in.keme.net> Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 10:07:41 +0100 From: the famous Uncle Squid Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: What's in a name At 23:25 15/06/98 -0700, you wrote: >On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, rachel wrote: >> >hey what's wrong with alittle recreational drinking? >> i don't wanna get all preachy on your ass, as a matter of fact i really >> don't care if you drink or not. but i wish some people would grow up and >> realize that drinking doesn't make you cool, and, beleive it or not, makes >> you do some pretty stupid things sometimes. it seems to me that some people >> feel that they should be applauded for their stupidity, or lack of common >> sense. i mean, why else would someone post to the list about how incredibly >> drunk they are and how little sense they are making? > >I don't think Uncle Squid thought he was being cool posting that he was >drunk. Why he chose to post when he was drunk can be explained easily He >was drunk! He didn't think before posting. His note at the end was so >that anything stupid he said could be taken in the context that he was >drunk, and thus ignored. WOW! There is someone on this list who isn't jumping up and down, waving their arms on their own pathetic moral high ground! Jase, I praise you for knowing exactly what is going on in life. You da man. It's like, what's this girl's prob man, I never said I was cool because I was drunk! In fact cool is what I am the least when I've been drinking... I just get horny (but we'll save that one for another non-tmbg post shall we!). >Now i could be wrong maybe Uncle Squid thought it would be really cool to >get drunk and post othe TMBG list. Sorry, but I went down the pub intending to celebrate my friend's birthday with a few socical (whooops, nearly typed "scrotal") drinks, she drank too much, so did I and so did our friends. >So he sat at home in front of his >computer pounding some Guinness GUINNESS! YUK! >until he was properly fucked to say >something stupid. But i hope thats not the Case I have more faith in >Uncle Squid. > >I can't believe i just typed I faith in someone named Uncle Squid! :0) Don't worry, all those who have questioned my good name have been noted and will be first against the wall when the revolution comes! Jason, you super-cool and you (unlike certain people I could mention) know what you are talking about. --Uncle "will never fade in memory but time is unforgiving" Squid ~THE ELLESLEYS~ (of Colchester-Essex-UK) Home Page: Http://www.keme.co.uk/~thelimes/trendsetting.html TMBG page: Http://members.xoom.com/uncle_squid/Xoom/ <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> "When you dance with the Devil, you can run but you can't hide" The Leve11ers "Sara's beach" <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <5746d9d6.358676f9@aol.com> Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 09:45:28 EDT Subject: Re: Re: NON-TMBG: What's in a name In a message dated 6/15/98 12:25:43 AM, ringostr@u.washington.edu wrote: > >hey what's wrong with alittle recreational drinking? well, as a family member of a recovering alcoholic, i could list plenty of things.... :) sarah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980616101011.0077dd6c@pop.fast.net> Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 10:10:11 -0400 From: Jesse Richman Subject: TMBG: YRF Sampla-Delic Mix At 02:04 AM 6/16/98 -0400, you wrote: >>I assume this is the Sample-Delic mix. I've got a friend who has it on >>vinyl -- the record includes the Album Version and the Sample-Delic mix. >>Anyone know if it's been released on CD in any form? (I think I asked this >>a few months ago but got no response). > >yup, that'd be the one. sampla-delic was what deee-lite called all their >production work. do you remember if it was any good? and what's that record >all about anyway? a promo of some kind? It's a really good mix. I dunno who released it or how to get a hold of it -- from what I recall it didn't come in a sleeve. It my just have been a white label DJ only thing, but I'm really not sure ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Re: Uncle Squid Message-ID: <19980616.101737.8999.0.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 10:18:24 EDT Okay, I think we all get the picture: Uncle squid was drunk. No one has any reason to be offended by this. You may have been a little annoyed, I understand tha, but it is over and done with, it happened and bitching about it isn't going to change anything. You can yell at him all you want, but if he gets drunk again there's nothing stopping him from doing it again. Not even all the yelling in the world. It's done. My suggestion: Move on with your lives. "Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age" Derek _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 09:20:15 -0600 Subject: TMBG: Re: Uncle Squid Message-ID: <19980616.092017.11126.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> > It's >done. My suggestion: Move on with your lives. how pathetic is this... we have nothing to talk about so to avoid a lull in posts we have to talk about the morality of drinking... perhaps i'm the only one finding this entire thread extremely amusing.. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::this is an open road song::: ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19980616110502.007a6200@email.psu.edu> Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 11:05:02 -0400 From: "J. L. Moquin" Subject: TMBG: Pink/Big Blue Dog/eponymous/First album on vinyl on ebay At the risk of starting something else, I wanted to share this... Just call me evil. mwahahahahaha! >:} http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=17675036 -jennifer, mommy to alice the bean, 8/15/97 http://www.emprl.psu.edu/~anth/ mailto:jls5@psu.edu "Some women have reported problems using Reality." -- Instructions for the female condom ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 11:55:14 -0500 (EST) From: Nub Subject: TMBG: US vs. UK: Slamfest '98 Message-id: has nobody checked the newspaper lately? if any country is full of idiots, it's the US. our schools suck, our politicians are greedy liars who do more good for polluting, monopolistic corporations than for the people, and everything they put on television and radio these days is brain-numbingly horrible. we're all a bunch of biased, closed-minded fuckheads. don't get me wrong, there's a lot i love about this country. the land is plentiful and beautiful, the people are diverse, and friendly (for the most part - can't say much for new yorkers) and it's easier to find tmbg albums here. oh yeah, and i think colin's e-mail was totally excusable. i mean, it was entertaining wasn't it? i can't imageine taking offense to it unless you are a completely brainwashed nationalist. writing something childish and accusatory back is totally not taking into account the differing attitudes about alcohol in the US and UK. after all, the beer is much better in europe... MUCH better! i don't intend to be overly mean in this e-mail. i should heed the words of digable planets: "if you've got a beef then express that in silence or else... violence!" but now i've written it all out so i suppose i'll hit . doh! nub aka ben ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 12:24:32 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Woodward Subject: TMBG: Fruvous Article :) Message-id: If Nicole hasn't posted this yet, the TMBG list got a quick plug in the middle of an extensive Moxy Fruvous plug in today's (Tuesday's) USA Today. Check it out in the Technology section. Good job, Nicole! * ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Josh Woodward, CheEsy Fru. joshw@mail.bgsu.edu Web Site and Tape List: http://www.dc-adnet.com/joshw/ "Sad girl, maybe you've got every reason in this mad world." - Moxy Fruvous ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19980616123331.007b49b0@pop.cwru.edu> Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 12:33:31 -0400 From: SpiderEyes Subject: Re: TMBG: Ride needed to Monopuff show on Wed. >On the unlikely chance that someone is travelling from the DC/Baltimore area >to see the Monopuff show on Wednesday, please contact me. Me too!! - SpiderEyes, jen@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19980616124149.0079e3d0@pop.cwru.edu> Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 12:41:49 -0400 From: SpiderEyes Subject: TMBG: Re: non-tmbg: TJHSST >hmmm, out of curiosity... I knew a Jen Childs in high school, and was >wondering if you are the same person? >(if so, that would make like... 3 people on the list from the same high >school... at least) Hey Lawrence! Yeah, it's me. (I usually post as SpiderEyes, but yes, my name is also Jen Childs. For anyone who wants my personal FAQ, email me.) So who else is here from TJHSST? - Jen / SpiderEyes ------------------------------ From: BrthrJuan@aol.com Message-ID: <8014e686.3586a109@aol.com> Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 12:44:56 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: US vs. UK: Slamfest '98 In a message dated 6/16/98 11:54:19 AM Eastern Daylight Time, beknowles@vassar.edu writes: > don't get me wrong, there's a lot i love about this country. the land is > plentiful and beautiful, the people are diverse, and friendly (for the > most part - can't say much for new yorkers) umm....and why can;t you say much for new yorkers? i am not from new york myself, but i have been there on numerous occasions, and even attended school in the city. the people in new york are no different than the people in any other city. yeah, they are obnoxious at times, but that is a generalization. just like me saying that you are a complete moron because i read you making some ignorant comments. that is totaly biased because of one small incident. new yorkers are usually very nice people, with the exceptions that are found everywhere else. there are a lot of very good people there, and just because you may read about some incidents, or hear of the people of new york, that is not knowing the people. you said it yourself, the things on tv are mind numbing, so is the news. all they show on the news are the worst things that happen in a day. of course people are going to be scared of cities, or think that all people in them suck. when i started going to school in new york, i was a bit intimidated, because that was all i had heard (with the occasional trips to broadway and other places in teh city, i had not experienced anything), but shortly thereafter, i found out that the people there are no different that they are anywhere else. > is totally not taking into account the differing > attitudes about alcohol in the US and UK. after all, the beer is much > better in europe... MUCH better! the reason beer is better, is because there are no strict limitations on how potent they can be in other countries. the US has a limit as to how much actual alcohol can be put into the beer, while other countries don;t. when the limits are put on, they start to get diluted by other things, and lose the flavor that makes people want to drink them. we have so many "water" beers in this country, of course the real stuff is better. aaron ------------------------------ From: Superman25@aol.com Message-ID: <37626228.3586a300@aol.com> Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 12:53:18 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Atlantic City show hi. since several people have been asking.... the show will be held at the New Atlantic City Convention Center. it's located right off of the AC Expressway. it's not the convention center on the Boardwalk, in case you couldn't figure out which one is which. the show starts at 1:30 PM. there are two or three opening acts (one of which, i believe is You Were Spiraling). i assume that They will go on last. as for directions, follow this link to the Convention Center's website: The New Atlantic City Convention Center there you will get all necessary information as well as a telephone number to call, if you so desire. there is also a number that electric factory concerts is providing which is: 1-609-484-9020 this is the number to the Sheraton Center. i hope many people benefit from this and i hope to see you all at the show. adam schaaf, north by northwest. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19980616174802.007ca5a0@mail-in.keme.net> Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 17:48:02 +0100 From: the famous Uncle Squid Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Uncle Squid At 10:18 16/06/98 EDT, you wrote: >Okay, I think we all get the picture: Uncle squid was drunk. No one has >any reason to be offended by this. You may have been a little annoyed, I >understand tha, but it is over and done with, it happened and bitching >about it isn't going to change anything. You can yell at him all you >want, but if he gets drunk again there's nothing stopping him from doing >it again. Not even all the yelling in the world. It's done. My >suggestion: Move on with your lives. Good sugestion but I don't think this'll be the end of this bitch-match some how :0( I won't be drinking and mailing again that's for bloody sure! Whey too much hassle for one squid. --Uncle "has more peeps on his side than he realised" Squid ~THE ELLESLEYS~ (of Colchester-Essex-UK) Home Page: Http://www.keme.co.uk/~thelimes/trendsetting.html TMBG page: Http://members.xoom.com/uncle_squid/Xoom/ <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> "When you dance with the Devil, you can run but you can't hide" The Leve11ers "Sara's beach" <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 12:58:41 EDT Subject: TMBG content!! Re: TMBG: Fruvous Article :) In a message dated 6/16/98 12:26:47 AM, you wrote: >If Nicole hasn't posted this yet, the TMBG list got a quick plug in the >middle of an extensive Moxy Fruvous plug in today's (Tuesday's) USA Today. >Check it out in the Technology section. Good job, Nicole! if you want to read it online, this should save you some search time : http://search.usatoday.com/plweb- cgi/fastweb?getdoc+default+life+61332+0+wAAA+Moxy%26Fruvous and if you don't care about moxy.. :( here's the bit related to us;) yay! we - and nicole! - are famous! :D -- >Nicole Carlson, 20, of Davis, Calif., became a Fruvous fan after hearing >about them on an e-mail list dedicated to a group called They Might Be >Giants. > >"The thread was, 'What other bands do you like' and Moxy Fruvous came up a >lot. I figured it was worth a shot, so I got Bargainville," Fruvous' first >CD, Carlson says. > >Since then, she's flown across the country to see them live once and >"lives vicariously" through other fans by reading reviews they post on the >Internet. sarah:) ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 12:07:44 -0600 From: The Pope Subject: TMBG: TMBG concert in Milwaukee, WI I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about the TMBG concert in Milwaukee on August 6th? In particular what kind of place "Private Function" is. A few friends and myself would like to go to it, but we need more information than what's provided by Pollstar's website. i.e. concert time, location of Private Function, ect. So if anyone has any info. on this concert please let me know!! Thanks, Jason "one finger nail across your back" ------------------------------ From: Strawbos69@aol.com Message-ID: <251d2c5.3586a79b@aol.com> Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 13:12:58 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG concert in Milwaukee, WI In a message dated 98-06-16 13:09:05 EDT, ja0022@drake.edu writes: << In particular what kind of place "Private Function" is. >> I'm guess, but "Private Function" suggests that it's a closed performance. i.e., if you haven't been invited, you probably don't get to go. :) "We have a tape, so don't act like you gave us the idea when we play the song that you already asked for" JL ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 12:19:39 -0600 From: The Pope Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG concert in Milwaukee, WI >I'm guess, but "Private Function" suggests that it's a closed performance. >i.e., if you haven't been invited, you probably don't get to go. :) > >"We have a tape, so don't act like you gave us the idea when we play the song >that you already asked for" JL That was my guess to...however, some people give there places the most strangest names sometimes and that's the other we here in Des Moines need confirmation on is whether or not this concert is a private function or if that's just the name of the place they are playing. ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 11:16:08 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Atlantic City show Message-ID: <19980616.112816.11126.3.TMBgirl@juno.com> > there are two or three opening acts (one >of >which, i believe is You Were Spiraling). somebody... please bootleg this show... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::JUNE 19th: Heading to LINCOLN, Nebraska (i've decided this 20 minutes ago)::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Spoonerism@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 13:33:58 EDT Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: What's In A Name? <> I think a lot of the common names are due to the common ancestry. I live not too far away from a Cheshire, CT that just happens to be named by English settlers during the Age of Exploration (Remember your history? :) ) I think it's just these guys were homesick after crossing "the pond" and just wanted to remember their former hometowns (a bunch of them often came from the same town). That's also why we've got a New Britain, New London (complete with a Thames River), and yes, Colchester, just in CT. There's your lesson for the day, guys -CAsey, who is becoming increasingly active on the list ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 11:36:52 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG concert in Milwaukee, WI Message-ID: <19980616.114011.11126.6.TMBgirl@juno.com> >>I'm guess, but "Private Function" suggests that it's a closed >performance. >>i.e., if you haven't been invited, you probably don't get to go. :) heh... tmbg playing at somebody's birthday party... must be nice... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::JUNE 19th: LINCOLN, Nebraska::: :::JUNE 30th: SANTA BARBARA, CA::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Spoonerism@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 13:42:45 EDT Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: What's in a name? <> Hey, Brits aren't witless. I can think of at least seven people from the Isles that are the funniest people I have ever seen (Anyone remember John Cleese, Graham Chapman, Terry Jones, Terry Gilliam, Eric Idle, and Michael Palin? Well, them, and my friend's dad, who came over to the USA a while ago, but still goes home every once in a while.) Oh, and for anyone who's British on this list, have you ever read the magazine PRIVATE EYE? My afforementioned friend's dad subscribes to it, and he gives em to me when he's done, and I must say they are quite witty. I practically fell on the floor laughing at Maya Angelou's Diary last month. Oh well, CAsey ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 12:43:33 -0600 From: The Pope Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG concert in Milwaukee, WI At 11:36 AM -0600 6/16/98, tmbgirl@juno.com wrote: >>>I'm guess, but "Private Function" suggests that it's a closed >>performance. >>>i.e., if you haven't been invited, you probably don't get to go. :) > >heh... tmbg playing at somebody's birthday party... >must be nice... guess i'll just have to crash it then... ; ^) Jason ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980616123907.0069e030@pop.indy.net> Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 12:39:07 -0400 From: rachel Subject: Re: Re: NON-TMBG: What's in a name > >In a message dated 6/15/98 12:25:43 AM, ringostr@u.washington.edu wrote: > >> >>hey what's wrong with alittle recreational drinking? > sarah wrote: >well, as a family member of a recovering alcoholic, i could list plenty of >things.... :) > ditto that. i'm sorry if i seem to be jumping down people's throats about this but it happens to be something that really gets to me. i've seen too many people i have known and loved get into serious drinking-related accidents. so excuse me for being a little concerned about a fellow fan's well-being, even if it wasn't expressed in the nicest way. proliferator of morals, :) rachel art work can now be found at: http://www.geocities.com/soho/museum/5039 enjoy! ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 11:11:01 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: What's in a name Message-ID: look, a lot of people don't think that they're cool because they drink. some people do it because it's fun, some people do it to get things off of their minds, whatever their reasons, you should but out of it. Jon "judgemental people really piss me off" helfgott ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 11:17:43 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: NONTMBG: on the subject of alcohol Message-ID: Can I make a suggestion to all of the boneheads (including myself, I humbly admit) talking about alcohol. This is a sensitive issue for a lot of people (like Sara, and I'm sure she's not the only one on here who is a relative of a current/recovering alcoholic), and I think to ensure that nobody gets pissed at anybody else, we should drop the subject completely. Drink on your own time, don't post it to the list, and let's try to get this out of our systems. Jon "sorry for playing the role of peacemaker" Helfgott ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3586E275.6FA@fuse.net> Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 14:24:05 -0700 From: jays your one-paged dictionary Organization: dial-a-song! 718-287-6962, narrrrrrrrr! Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: What's in a name leonard helfgott wrote: > > look, a lot of people don't think that they're cool because they drink. > some people do it because it's fun, some people do it to get things off of > their minds, whatever their reasons, you should but out of it. > Jon "judgemental people really piss me off" helfgott she shouldn't but out of this; as i've said before, this is a free forum of discussion and if somebody is stupid enough to post drunk, it's EVERYBODY'S business. anyways, alcohol is mind-altering; if you drink to get things off your mind, or 'cause it's fun, you've got a problem, plain and simple. don't be an ass. jay, defending the people he owes letters to. -- jayhc ... *hic* what wash i shaying. .. *burp*. e-mail: sirjamez@fuse.net, phonebook@tmbg.org aol im: SaturnChrd, PhoneBookJ irc: PhoneBook "and sadly the cross-eyed bear's been put to sleep behind the stairs, and his shoes are laced with irony." --tmbg "Hey, some people take drugs and some people like to have sex all day, I like to watch my bees as I make music, so what." --steve vai -- ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 16 Jun 98 14:25 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG concert in Milwaukee, WI > >>>I'm guess, but "Private Function" suggests that it's a closed >>performance. >>>i.e., if you haven't been invited, you probably don't get to go. :) > >heh... tmbg playing at somebody's birthday party... >must be nice... Damn... And we thought it was cool when Dustin Hoffman (NOT THE ACTOR) had Wally Pleasant at his birthday party in eighth grade... Someday when I'm rich, TMBG are gonna play my birthday party, and you all will be invited. :) Kirsten -- [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] "And she said losing love is like a window in your heart Everybody sees you're blown apart..." - Paul Simon "Graceland" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 16 Jun 98 14:29 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: TMBG: She's Actual Size Does anyone think that "She's Actual Size" might be on STD? I sort of hope so - I think that this song is *so* much better live than the Apollo 18 album cut. However, I suppose the lack of horns on the tour probably means that it won't be on there... Does anyone remember if they had a horn section when they opened for Hootie? I remember that when I saw them, they played "She's Actual Size" first, but I can't remember if they had horns... Vague memories of a trombone player, but I was veryvery far from the stage and my contacts were blurry. Kirsten -- [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] "And she said losing love is like a window in your heart Everybody sees you're blown apart..." - Paul Simon "Graceland" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <98e181b3.3586ba94@aol.com> Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 14:33:53 EDT Subject: Re: Re: NON-TMBG: What's in a name In a message dated 6/16/98 2:11:29 PM, you wrote: >some people do it because it's fun, some people do it to get things off of >their minds, whatever their reasons, you should but out of it. >Jon "judgemental people really piss me off" helfgott > as much as this thread should stop, i can't let this one go.. maybe it's because as i mentioned earlier, i am from an alcoholic family so i hear a lot involving this stuff. but what you just said is ridiculous. yes, i realize it's true, but that's the problem. and what *you're* doing - to *defend* it, is even more ludicrous. you don't realize how stupid that makes you look. it's like saying "some guys beat up their wives or kids because it relieves their stress and makes them feel good! if you don't like it shut the hell up!" how can you not possibly percieve that as wrong? don't tell me it's completely different, in a small way it is, but really, they're both abuse. alcohol or physical. and they can both seriously harm people, mentally and physically, and possibly ruin or even cost lives of innocent people. because it's fun? it's fun to make yourself look like an asshole? and when drunk people get in a car and drive, and possibly kill people in an accident, that's fun too? to get things off their minds? that's just running away from your problems, but really you have to face them anyways.. by drinking all you're doing is making it worse. how is that good? i don't understand. and you're pissed off because some people care? wow, bet that earns you some friends.. maybe you think it's cool because it's rebelling, or maybe you never thought about the consequences, but unfortunately many people don't realize the severity of the situation because it's too late. some of us know this and like rachel said, maybe we just care about our fellow listies. don't even bother flaming me to try to disagree - i mean - you're more than welcome to, i can't stop you, but it will be a horribly pointless waste of time and certainly won't change _my_ mind. sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3586E5DB.745A@fuse.net> Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 14:38:36 -0700 From: jays your one-paged dictionary Organization: dial-a-song! 718-287-6962, narrrrrrrrr! Subject: Re: TMBG: She's Actual Size Kirsten Brodbeck wrote: > > Does anyone think that "She's Actual Size" might be on STD? I > sort of hope so - I think that this song is *so* much better live than the > Apollo 18 album cut. However, I suppose the lack of horns on the tour > probably means that it won't be on there... if i remember correctly, on the real audio interview at the visual discography site john linnell says something to the effect that some tracks will performed with a horn section (as well as others with a lead guitarist, etc). they did play "she's actual size" either at bogarts in cincinnati last year or at newport music hall in columbus a few months ago; i can't remember which, or maybe at both. but it rocked, anyway. :) peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jay. -- jayhc--always accurate, constant, and intense. e-mail: sirjamez@fuse.net, phonebook@tmbg.org aol im: SaturnChrd, PhoneBookJ irc: PhoneBook "and sadly the cross-eyed bear's been put to sleep behind the stairs, and his shoes are laced with irony." --tmbg "Hey, some people take drugs and some people like to have sex all day, I like to watch my bees as I make music, so what." --steve vai -- ------------------------------ From: DrWormX@aol.com Message-ID: <72c5dd4e.3586bc12@aol.com> Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 14:40:17 EDT Subject: TMBG: UN-tmbg: New York City this is such a generalization. I practically live in nyc, and I have never had 1 problem with anyone I didn't know. People have actually given me change for the subway! Now stop making generalizations and listening to steriotypes until you have lived in the city yourself, or have at least had more experience than you have had. No hard feelings. Matt - now you want to see obnoxious, go to new jersey! The few surviving samurai surveyed the battle field, they count the arms, the legs, and heads, and then divide by five http://members.aol.com/DrWormX ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3586BBB1.17C3@erols.com> Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 14:38:41 -0400 From: Zydell Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG concert in Milwaukee, WI > Someday when I'm rich, TMBG are gonna play my birthday party, and you all > will be invited. :) > > Kirsten Great...will there be alcohol? ;> ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 12:02:17 -0700 (PDT) From: "J. Brown" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG concert in Milwaukee, WI Message-ID: Jason Wilson Brown History & Canadian Studies Major President- GEEK The Secret Society of the College Bowl ringostr@u.washington.edu geekbowl@u.washington.edu P.O. Box 45822 Seattle, WA 98145-0822 (206) 632-4905 "Thought I knew all the steps quite clearly, I don't have a clue" -Elvis Costello On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, Zydell wrote: > > Someday when I'm rich, TMBG are gonna play my birthday party, and you all > > will be invited. :) > > > > Kirsten > > > Great...will there be alcohol? ;> > ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot@aol.com Message-ID: <99c40e9b.3586c1a9@aol.com> Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 15:04:08 EDT Subject: Not really TMBG: Tony Maimone & Soul Coughing Ok, everyone remember TMBG's old bassist, Tony? Well, it seems he's not dead...I found this at www.soulcoughing.com. . .if someone posted this already, I am truly sorry. . . "Yuval has just informed me of a upcoming gig in New York organized by Konkrete Jungle. There will be a live Drum N' Bass set by Yuval Gabay, Sebastian Steinberg and ex-TMBG bassist Tony Maimone, all playing under the name "U.V.RAY" Yuval says it's the live debut of his "single-smash-hit" called Let The Drums Roll. I'm trying to get more information on that, but if you're anywhere near New York this Friday, June 19th, you should make an effort to get down there. Yuval hitting the drums jungle style is a sight to behold. Their set should be around 11pm at the Brooklyn Bridge Anchorage, which is at the intersection of Hicks St & Old Front St on Cadman Plaza West in Brooklyn. You can call 212-604-4224 for more information or directions. You may now proceed to yesterdays news, still piping hot and fresh..." fin, Jason "listening to Ween" glastetter ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 12:17:04 -0700 (PDT) From: "J. Brown" Subject: TMBG: Alcohol Message-ID: On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, Zydell wrote: > > Someday when I'm rich, TMBG are gonna play my birthday party, and you all > > will be invited. :) > > > > Kirsten > > Great...will there be alcohol? ;> there better be i can't stand crowds unless i'm drunk! TMBG or no TMBG bbooze comes first for this boy! Whee-Whoo! ;-) just kidding folks! BTW i totally respect people being touchy about alcohol when they have alcholic loved ones. I should know My mom was a serious alcholic for years. She's all nice and sober now. But was does get on my nerves is teenage punk Geeks that hate booze cause thats what all the popular kids do on the weekend (i know i was one of them! the Geeks that is!) But as i have grown old i have learned that justt because you drink occasionally it doesn't make you an alcoholic and it doesn't mean you can't do it responsibly. the worst thing i have ever done drunk is make a fool of my self which isn't so bad. And as far as posting to mailing lists drunk i plead guilty to that. Never to this list mind you but once following a Young Fresh Fellows concert here in seattle i came home drunk as a skunk ( i rode the bus home BTW) and posted a long drunken rant to the Elvis Costello list about how Scott McCaughey of the YFF looks like Elvis circa 1991 with out the beard. And then i followed that up with a post to the Kinks list about how the YFF are analagous to the Kinks with no basis other than the YFF didthe Kinks' Picture Book that night (But hey that was cool! Any kinks fans out here?) the following morning i looked at the posts and for one i did not think i was cool or anything but i didn't beat myself up about it. i just thought Oh well that was stupid. jason, President of the UW GEEK society. mow listening to David Bowie's "Stone Love" ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 12:19:10 -0700 (PDT) From: "J. Brown" Subject: Re: Not really TMBG: Tony Maimone & Soul Coughing Message-ID: On Tue, 16 Jun 1998 Happyfroot@aol.com wrote: > Ok, everyone remember TMBG's old bassist, Tony? Well, it seems he's not > dead...I found this at www.soulcoughing.com. . .if someone posted this > already, I am truly sorry. . . He tony should never be refered to a TMBG's Old Bassist. He's Pere Ubu's bassist. Just like Grant Maby is Joe Jackson's Bassist. spliting hairs, Jason ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <27332cc6.3586c6ea@aol.com> Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 15:26:33 EDT Subject: Re: Re: Not really TMBG: Tony Maimone & Soul Coughing In a message dated 6/16/98 3:19:53 PM, you wrote: >Just like Grant Maby is Joe Jackson's Bassist. > >spliting hairs, it's _Graham_. ;) i'm sure you knew that. but you know.. ;) i heard something vaguely that TMBG has a new bassist to replace Hal (but Hal was only temporary temporary anyways, right?) and his name is Dan? anyone know more about this? so now they're John and Dan squared? :) sarah linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://lava.home.ml.org "I was just trying to have some personality is all." - David Cross, Mr. Show ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 14:29:08 -0600 From: The Pope Subject: Re: Re: NON-TMBG: What's in a name >as much as this thread should stop, i can't let this one go.. > >maybe it's because as i mentioned earlier, i am from an alcoholic family so i >hear a lot involving this stuff. >but what you just said is ridiculous. yes, i realize it's true, but that's the >problem. and what *you're* doing - to *defend* it, is even more ludicrous. you >don't realize how stupid that makes you look. it's like saying "some guys beat >up their wives or kids because it relieves their stress and makes them feel >good! if you don't like it shut the hell up!" how can you not possibly >percieve that as wrong? don't tell me it's completely different, in a small >way it is, but really, they're both abuse. alcohol or physical. and they can >both seriously harm people, mentally and physically, and possibly ruin or even >cost lives of innocent people. > >because it's fun? it's fun to make yourself look like an asshole? and when >drunk people get in a car and drive, and possibly kill people in an accident, >that's fun too? > >to get things off their minds? that's just running away from your problems, >but really you have to face them anyways.. by drinking all you're doing is >making it worse. how is that good? i don't understand. > >and you're pissed off because some people care? wow, bet that earns you some >friends.. >maybe you think it's cool because it's rebelling, or maybe you never thought >about the consequences, but unfortunately many people don't realize the >severity of the situation because it's too late. some of us know this and like >rachel said, maybe we just care about our fellow listies. > >don't even bother flaming me to try to disagree - i mean - you're more than >welcome to, i can't stop you, but it will be a horribly pointless waste of >time and certainly won't change _my_ mind. > > >sarah It's awfully nice that you group everyone who drinks into nice one category of ragin alcoholics. People drink alcohol for various reasons. Either to relieve stress (as many people relieve stress in many different ways i.e. exercise, sleep, eating, ect.), to socialize with their fellow man/woman (yes since majority of people drink one of the many things people do is socialize and one way to do that is to go to a bar with friends), to get that buzz that one gets from drinking alcohol, and the list goes on. Now from what I've learned of some European countries and those people on this list who have been or who do live in Europe please please correct me if I am wrong, but countries like France don't they many times have a glass of wine with their supper. And in many churches they still serve wine for communion. To say the least consuming alcohol has become part of many traditions and is deep into many cultures. Now I'm not saying your wrong for being against drinking, however, for getting on someone's case for drinking I will say butt the heck out. Telling people how to live there lives is just wrong, and you usually piss the person off who you are trying to tell what to do. You can give them suggestions and reasons why not to drink, but don't badger them about their drinking habits or any other habits. It's their life and they fuck it up however they want. Also there are many different types of drinkers don't be like, "Oh you drink alcohol you must be an alcoholic" cause that's just not the case and is very stereotypical. However, I will give you that if people aren't responsible drinkers that bad things can happen. Very very very bad things can happen, but that's the risk you take just walking down the street. Anyway, I don't like it when people get on other people's cases about their habits, and I am definitely not saying that drinking is cool and alright. I too come from a heavy drinking family where just about everyone in my family drinks except my mom. I say if someone uses drinking as an excuse so let them don't go and bitch on them because they did or that they were drunk. Well, that's enough of me going off about silly crap like this that shouldn't even be such a big deal. I just felt compelled to write something long and strung out that will get deleted and forgotten Jason "just pissed at people for riding other people's rear for there habits" ps. "garson where my drink" ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 12:30:30 -0700 (PDT) From: "J. Brown" Subject: Re: Re: Not really TMBG: Tony Maimone & Soul Coughing Message-ID: On Tue, 16 Jun 1998 KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: > >Just like Grant Maby is Joe Jackson's Bassist. > > it's _Graham_. ;) i'm sure you knew that. but you know.. ;) Aahh! I feel like a fool! this must because i had a nightmare about comic book writer Grant Morrison and his cats eating me alive last night. jason ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <9bde9652.3586ccdd@aol.com> Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 15:51:52 EDT Subject: Re: Re: Re: NON-TMBG: What's in a name In a message dated 6/16/98 3:30:32 PM, you wrote: >getting on someone's case for drinking I will say butt the heck out. i wasn't getting on anyone's case about it, i was replying to a post that defended it. >Telling people how to live there lives is just wrong, and you usually piss >the person off who you are trying to tell what to do. i'm not telling anyone *how* to live. >Also there are many different types of drinkers don't >be like, "Oh you drink alcohol you must be an alcoholic" cause that's just >not the case and is very stereotypical. no, that's not what i said. i never called anyone an alcoholic, i was just talking about when people get drunk, and do really stupid things (you don't have to be an alcoholic to do that). you don't have to get all defensive, ok? i'm not telling anyone what to do, i'm just giving my side of the debate, that's exactly what you're doing, no? i was talking *in general* what the "bad side" of getting drunk means, while you're defending the "good side", correct? ::sigh:: this is so ridiculous.. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 14:58:46 -0500 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: Not really TMBG: Tony Maimone & Soul Coughing Message-id: <3586CE76.2E9C5126@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: > so now they're John and Dan squared? :) > Actually, They would be John squared and Dan squared. John and Dan squared is either John, Dan, and Dan or John, John, Dan, Dan, and JohnDan depending on whether you read it as (John) and (Dan)^2 or (John and Dan)^2. - Chad "Dumb math is what gets you your info club mailings on time" Maloney ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 14:58:29 -0600 From: The Pope Subject: Re: Re: Re: NON-TMBG: What's in a name >you don't have to get all defensive, ok? i'm not telling anyone what to do, >i'm just giving my side of the debate, that's exactly what you're doing, no? i >was talking *in general* what the "bad side" of getting drunk means, while >you're defending the "good side", correct? no, I'm not defending or opposing drinking...I was basically making the comment in a very long drawn out way making fun of all those who make long drawn out arguments that people need to lighten up and stop the nonsense and just be whacky, crazy, and all around nifty. ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Atlantic City show Message-ID: <19980616.161027.11887.0.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 16:11:24 EDT >> there are two or three opening acts (one of which, i believe is You Were Spiraling). >somebody... please bootleg this show... Yeah, if anyone plans on getting this show on tape, please let us know! Derek "Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age" _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 16:24:37 -0500 (CDT) From: "Christopher M. Stangl" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: What's in a name? Message-ID: On Tue, 16 Jun 1998 Spoonerism@aol.com wrote: > Hey, Brits aren't witless. I can think of at least seven people from the > Isles that are the funniest people I have ever seen (Anyone remember John > Cleese, Graham Chapman, Terry Jones, Terry Gilliam, Eric Idle, and Michael > Palin? That's great. Except that Terry Gilliam is an American. -Chris Stangl ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 16:23:29 -0500 (CDT) From: "Christopher M. Stangl" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: What's in a name Message-ID: On Mon, 15 Jun 1998, J. Brown wrote: > I don't think Uncle Squid thought he was being cool posting that he was > drunk. Why he chose to post when he was drunk can be explained easily He > was drunk! He didn't think before posting. His note at the end was so > that anything stupid he said could be taken in the context that he was > drunk, and thus ignored. Now I don't think El Squid said anything he particularly needed to apologize for in the first place. And I have no problems with his drunken posting. But the above defense would imply that unacceptable behavior is forgivable if the offender is under the influence. Le Squid didn't do anything horrible, of course, but he SHOULD be held entirely responsible for everything he does, drunk or no. As an advocate for legalization of controlled substances, I cannot stress what a VITAL stipulation this is. You are ALWAYS responsible for your actions. -Chris Stangl ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 16:32:59 -0500 (CDT) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: random thoughts of an old-timer Message-ID: Hey there everyone-- Big question here is if anyone remembers me. I was on this list about a year ago and left it...well, because everyone was getting a little cuckoo. But anyway, I'm back...if anyone actually does remember me being here (remember the list survey I conducted?), let me know...and I've already recognized Kirsten, Sarah, and multiple others that were here last time I was. First off...what is going on with our twin quasars? Anybody have any information on Severe Tire Damage? I'm just curious... Okay, some responses here.... > Damn... And we thought it was cool when Dustin Hoffman (NOT THE > ACTOR) had Wally Pleasant at his birthday party in eighth grade... > Someday when I'm rich, TMBG are gonna play my birthday party, and you all > will be invited. :) I've actually been trying to get Wally to come down and play for my birthday, but they said they'd rather play at a real club or something. Kind of upseting, but oh well... > He [Tony Maimone] should never be refered to a TMBG's Old Bassist. He's > Pere Ubu's bassist. Just like Grant Maby is Joe Jackson's Bassist. Damn straight. Despite being completely ignored by the public, I must admit that Pere Ubu ranks a little higher on the "importance scale" than TMBG. Sorry. Oh, and don't forget that Tony also played on Bob Mould's solo albums... Okay, well, it's good to see this list is still flourishing and all. Keep on keepin' on, everyone. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu personnel@kwur.wustl.edu ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: She's Actual Size Message-ID: <19980616.173552.3047.1.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 17:36:49 EDT > Does anyone think that "She's Actual Size" might be on STD? I >sort of hope so - I think that this song is *so* much better live than the >Apollo 18 album cut. However, I suppose the lack of horns on the tour >probably means that it won't be on there... I know They performed "She's Actual Size" on some tv show when Apollo 18 first came out, and it was just Flansburgh on a single drum and Linnell on accordian, so we know it has been done without horns in the past. Derek "Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age" _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: What's in a name? Message-ID: <19980616.173552.3047.0.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 17:36:49 EDT >Hey, Brits aren't witless. I can think of at least seven people from the Isles that are >the funniest people I have ever seen (Anyone remember John Cleese, Graham >Chapman, Terry Jones, Terry Gilliam, Eric Idle, and Michael Palin? Well, them, and >my friend's dad, who came over to the USA a while ago, but still goes home every >once in a while.) Oh, and for anyone who's British on this list, have you ever read the >magazine PRIVATE EYE? My afforementioned friend's dad subscribes to it, and he >gives em to me when he's done, and I must say they are quite witty. I practically fell >on the floor laughing at Maya Angelou's Diary last month. I agree. Monty Python kicks ass! Derek "Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age" _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #7-17 *****************************