Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #7-2 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 7, Number 2 Tuesday, 2 June 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ TMBG: Spondee TMBG: It's all funny... Re: TMBG: Spondee TMBG: IFTS: Hidden Song TMBG: Show date HALF-TMBG: It's all funny / TTFN (ta ta for now) TMBG: I should be allowed to think & band breakups Re: TMBG: I should be allowed to think & band breakups TMBG: Allen Ginsberg Re: TMBG: Allen Ginsberg TMBG: National Accordian Awareness Month Re: TMBG: I should be allowed to think & band breakups Re: TMBG: Allen Ginsberg Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 03:15:00 -0400 (EDT) From: Majordomo Message-Id: <199806010715.DAA07208@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT When you send a message to the list you are sending messages to hundreds of people. Make sure that your message is one that hundreds of people need to read. Do not send "me too" messages to the list. Do not send messages about non-tmbg topics to the list. Hold private conversations in private e-mail. Sending messages that the list administrator deems off topic will result in your being removed from the list. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9806011612.AA09031@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Spondee Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 12:12:16 -0400 (EDT) Hello, I was curious if anyone could tell me what Spondee is like? How does it compare to Robin's work in Monopuff (Pretty Fly, Extra Krispy?), is it very different? Is it any particular type of music or are they like any other band? Thanks, Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: echuss@notes.cc.bellcore.com Message-ID: <85256616.00609AEF.00@notes950.cc.bellcore.com> Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 14:13:52 -0400 Subject: TMBG: It's all funny... > Well, after putting off listening to John Henry for so long, I must > say that it's been damn good. I was worried it wouldn't be as > good as I thought it would and it's been great. yow! > Joseph Yeah, it's funny how some people on the list put down JH. I have liked every CD and every single TMBG (official and some "not-so-official") has released. There are very few other groups that I can state that this is the case (To me it's funny, why of all the thousands of groups out there, TMBG has struck such a chord). A handful of songs don't do much for me but I stay with them and eventually I at least see the where J&J are coming from with them. IMHO, JH is a great CD. All of their CDs, again IMHO, are great CDs. If you don't own all of their CDs I would recommend you eventually try to buy them. You'll be glad ya' did. I think that once you own all of them you will reach Stage 2 or 3 of "The 7 Stages of TMBG Addiction". After that, the other 4 or 5 stages come REALLY fast. So be please be careful! ;-) Erik "As you take a bath down the beaten path, there's a pounding at the door" - TMBG ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 13:51:22 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Spondee Message-ID: <19980601.135127.11118.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> >I was curious if anyone could tell me what Spondee is like? Well, i can't much comment on spondee's style... it's mellow to say the least... but it's excellent. You have to keep in mind that Robin isn't the only vocalist in spondee... there's another guy that sings with her, mark donato. They complement each other extremely well. >compare to Robin's work in Monopuff (Pretty Fly, Extra Krispy?) well... i mean, it's still her singing so in that sense i suppose they're extremely similar. however, the styles of music are so different that it's difficult to compare. i have a feeling that if you like pretty fly (ie you don't seem to mind how mellow it is) you'd like spondee. but pretty fly is no just representation of spondee (in the slightest)... > Is it any particular type of music or are they like >any >other band? joan baez is the closest thing i can think of... but in a sense that's a disgrace to spondee so... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::Concerts i'll be attending... you gonna be there?::: June 8th : Cornershop | June 9th : Fuel | June 11th : Semisonic | June 13th : Widespread Panic | June 21st : Candlebox | July 11th : Aquabats | August 9th : Smokin' Grooves Tour | August 22nd : Reggae on the Rocks (RBF/ LB Dub All-Stars/ Skatalites) _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: jcogliano@andover.edu Message-Id: <199806011903.PAA21711@gaea.andover.edu> Date: Mon, 01 Jun 1998 16:12:55 -0400 Subject: TMBG: IFTS: Hidden Song Hey, has anyone heard the hidden song on It's Fun to Steal? Sounds like someone was having fun with his Mac... -Cogs ------------------------------ Message-ID: <01BD8D7B.CC435320.lees@megahits.com> From: Lee Subject: TMBG: Show date Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 16:39:00 -0400 Anyone remember the exact date of the show in Worchester last fall (November i think) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 15:43:13 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: HALF-TMBG: It's all funny / TTFN (ta ta for now) Message-ID: On Mon, 1 Jun 1998 echuss@notes.cc.bellcore.com wrote: > I think that once you own all of them you will reach Stage 2 or 3 of > "The 7 Stages of TMBG Addiction". After that, the other 4 or 5 stages > come REALLY fast. So be please be careful! i seem to remember having heard this at some point, but i can't find it in the mailing list archives: what are the 7 stages of TMBG addiction? please reply to my own address (and the list address if you want), because of the following unrelated thing: i would like to say goodbye to everybody here. it's just for a couple of weeks (i'll be back then) but i'm in the middle of moving and finishing up the academic quarter and i have a tremendous amount of stuff to do and i know that if i don't unsubscribe to the list, i'll spend all my time doing e-mail, and i *really* can't afford that at the moment. anyway, i'll see you all again in a couple of weeks... ...LIST (confused): see? JIM: whatever.... don't start any flame wars while i'm gone! (promise?) --jim kuemmerle, who will miss you all with effigies... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ From: DrWormX@aol.com Message-ID: <9fb5b691.35735587@aol.com> Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 21:29:42 EDT Subject: TMBG: I should be allowed to think & band breakups I've heard (on this list) something about ISBATT being a poem? I'm not well educated in this field, and if someone could please fill me in with the author/whatever I would appreciate it. Plus.... My favorite band in the whole world broke up! I'm so distraught.....leave me alone... Matt- "Damn you Geri Spice!!!!" The few surviving samurai surveyed the battle field, they count the arms, the legs, and heads, and then divide by five http://members.aol.com/DrWormX CHAT: http://members.tripod.com/~drworm/chat.html ------------------------------ From: Strawbos69@aol.com Message-ID: <307d6f30.35735c08@aol.com> Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 21:57:27 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: I should be allowed to think & band breakups > I've heard (on this list) something about ISBATT being a poem? From the John Henry booklit : "I Should Be Allowed To Think" excerpts first line of "howl, Part One." ------------------------------ From: Superman25@aol.com Message-ID: <79212ddd.3573620d@aol.com> Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 22:23:08 EDT Subject: TMBG: Allen Ginsberg hi. to learn more about allen ginsberg, i'd suggest this site: http://php.indiana.edu/~avigdor/poetry/ginsberg.html or you could visit your local library or bookstore for more info. adam schaaf, who's pretty sure he's the worst hope for his generation. ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <7691b706.35736467@aol.com> Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 22:33:10 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Allen Ginsberg anyone here have the Clash album "Combat Rock"? (if not, ya should, it's great;)) ....I never knew for the longest time that he's the speaking voice on "Ghetto Defendant". Oh! I had a dream last night that was semi-TMBG. :) In my dream, Flans was my tutour , and he was feeling really depressed and put his head on my kitchen table and said that no one likes him anymore. Hmm. weird.. it's was very strange. :] sarah linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <40f2ea0f.357368c5@aol.com> Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 22:51:48 EDT Subject: TMBG: National Accordian Awareness Month Tell the wind and tell the phone, tell the birds and tell the fly; Tell the streetlights and the car, tell the stars and tell the sky.. I just found out on the Moxy Fruvous newsgroup, that june is officially National Accordian Awareness Month here in the US. spread the news! crank yer TMBG! :) sarah ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 20:00:48 -0700 (PDT) From: "J. Brown" Subject: Re: TMBG: I should be allowed to think & band breakups Message-ID: On Mon, 1 Jun 1998 DrWormX@aol.com wrote: > I've heard (on this list) something about ISBATT being a poem? I'm not well > educated in this field, and if someone could please fill me in with the > author/whatever I would appreciate it. Plus.... > My favorite band in the whole world broke up! I'm so distraught.....leave me > alone... Hey they didnt break up! Geri left. The Spice will go on! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3573B1FC.397B@fuse.net> Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 01:04:12 -0700 From: jays your one-paged dictionary Organization: dial-a-song! 718-287-6962, narrrrrrrrr! Subject: Re: TMBG: Allen Ginsberg allen ginsberg ... dashiki lover? sorry. i had to. peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jay. -- jayhc, that guy over there. e-mail: sirjamez@fuse.net, phonebook@tmbg.org aol im: SaturnChrd, PhoneBookJ irc: PhoneBook "and sadly the cross-eyed bear's been put to sleep behind the stairs, and his shoes are laced with irony." --tmbg "Hey, some people take drugs and some people like to have sex all day, I like to watch my bees as I make music, so what." --steve vai -- ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #7-2 ****************************