Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #7-20 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 7, Number 20 Saturday, 20 June 1998 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: XTC v. AA on STD Re: TMBG: Re: canadians... US schools Re: Non-TMBG: Best movie of all time TMBG: More STD info? TMBG: Another bit of info TMBG: Re: US schools - long and irrelevant Re: TMBG: XTC v. AA on STD Re: TMBG: XTC v. AA on STD Re: TMBG: Re: canadians... US schools Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #7-15 Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #7-15 Re: TMBG: XTC v. AA on STD TMBG: std - woo-hoo Re: TMBG: Hagfish (WRBC) TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #7-15 Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #7-15 TMBG: The Man TMBG: Music Videos Re: Non-TMBG: Best movie of all time + Hagfish TMBG: the whole schools issue Re: NON-TMBG: Hagfish (WRBC) Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #7-15 Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #7-15 Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #7-15 Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #7-15 TMBG: a new topic? Re: TMBG: Music Videos TMBG: ACK! Re: TMBG: a new topic? Re: TMBG: a new topic? Re: TMBG: a new topic? Re: TMBG: the whole schools issue TMBG: non-tmbg: new york city Re: TMBG: the whole schools issue Re: TMBG: the whole schools issue Re: TMBG: the whole schools issue Re: TMBG: a new topic? Re: TMBG: the whole schools issue Re: TMBG: the whole schools issue Re: TMBG: the whole schools issue TMBG: Re: non-tmbg: urban rudeness (long) Re: TMBG: the whole schools issue Re: TMBG: schools and sports Re: TMBG: "the old guy" Re: TMBG: the whole schools issue Re: TMBG: the whole schools issue Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 05:36:25 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: XTC v. AA on STD Message-ID: <19980618.053626.11158.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> >Oh man, I forgot about this. Is the aforementioned Mike Leffel still >on >this list? And if so, is he still doing those lovely sigs? I'm just >sort >of curious... welcome back bill... but uhm, no... he's still disappeared off the face of the planet... we all have our theories tho... (damn canucks!) heh... you've been back on the list for like 3 days and you think he could have gone that long without posting?!? >I'm >virtually >keeling over in sheer ecstasy from the fact that "They Got Lost" is on >there. From my first listen of the song (live--duh--at Bogart's in >Cincinnati, May of '96), I've loved it profusely. uhm, you do know that they totally changed this song... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::geez i need some sleep::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 07:48:43 -0500 (CDT) From: Robin Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: canadians... US schools Message-ID: Ok. not all schools are bad. but if one does not have enough money to spend on school (like they are trying to feed the family) it is difficult to get a good education. the most obvious exception being living in a small town. as a whole, the schools in the us could be much better...especially when conmpared to schools in other countries. Robin On Wed, 17 Jun 1998, The Li'l Depressed Boy wrote: > >>OH and whoever said something about American > >>Schools being bad, know nothing > >>of which they speak. > > > >MR LDB do you live in a suburb? a small town? > > > A small town. Yes I know your gonna get to the innercity schools are bad, > but it was another of those silly generaliztions. No one should say that > our (country's) schools are bad. Because not all of them are. > > LDBster > -- > (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) > My Web Page Index: > http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ > TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font > -- > Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. > M. Struble. > The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) > & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble > ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 07:51:05 -0500 (CDT) From: Robin Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Best movie of all time Message-ID: And what about the princess bride? that was a great movie too! Robin On Wed, 17 Jun 1998 DrWormX@aol.com wrote: > um...excuse me..is everyone totally forgetting about Pee-Wee's Big Adventure?! > You must be, because no one with any competence (I'm gonna look dumb if I > spelled that wrong) would over look this great moment in cinema history. > > Matt- the town drunk's angry son > The few surviving samurai surveyed the battle field, they count the arms, the > legs, and heads, and then divide by five > http://members.aol.com/DrWormX > ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980618085111.006b58ac@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 08:51:11 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: More STD info? I got this from a post of TDK's on the TMBG Musings Board: << More STD info from Pat Dillet Posted by tdk on Thursday, 18 June 1998, at 3:39 a.m., in response to STD Info and Monopuff Tour Info, posted by Rob Plass on Thursday, 18 June 1998, at 1:49 a.m. Pat also told me that Birhouse & Ana Ng are remixed tracks of the Live In NYC versions (10/14/94 at Sony Music Studios) and that most of the rest are from a late '96 show in Minesota. He also said that the Apes songs are at the end of the album, with a big space between the last track and them, and that some (all?) of them were recorded by fans. Finally, he told me that the version of XTC Vs. Adam Ant on STD is the best he's ever heard, better then the Factory Showroom version. -Mike PS Look for pics from the show, coming to my Mono Puff page soon! >> Very interesting. So I guess the older songs like "She's An Angel" are from the '96 show, and the few newer songs from more recent shows... Wow. -Adam /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980618085304.006a4114@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 08:53:04 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Another bit of info Another interesting bit of info, this time from Rob Plass. I don't know how I like the idea of Dr. Worm with horns, but we'll see... Now you all know what STD and About Me are... :) -Adam << STD Info and Monopuff Tour Info Posted by Rob Plass on Thursday, 18 June 1998, at 1:49 a.m. We were talking to Pat Dillet and (sorry to continue this sentence from way back at the beginning of the post after such a long parenthetical diatribe, but I just had to interject about how great the show was) he said that the two tracks, "SEVERE TIRE DAMAGE" and "ABOUT ME" were the same song, just a little instrumental and some lyrics on "ABOUT ME." No big deal on those. He also said that "Dr. Worm" had horns in it and it was the only studio track. August 11th is set, as confirmed by both Pat and John. >> /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980618130045.006ba298@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 08:00:45 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: TMBG: Re: US schools - long and irrelevant At 07:54 PM 6/17/98 -0600, tmbgirl@juno.com wrote: >> Yes I know your gonna get to the innercity schools are >>bad, >>but it was another of those silly generaliztions > >well i speak for colorado... i've lived in denver my entire life and >spent all except for my first two years of schooling in the denver public >schools system... >let me just say: > >#1 weapons and gangs in denver schools are the least of anybody's >troubles... but our politicians are just detarded or something... >unless you're a psycho, you don't come to school with the purpose of >blowing everyone's brains out (or seriously injuring people)... people >like that don't bother coming to school (most of the time)... gang's in >schools are a bunch of crap... if they're in anything that even resembles >a gang they're not gonna bother coming to school... it's as simple as >that. > I've only seen one gun at my school. The guy was standing right next to me. Then he shot. Then he ran off. I swore until it went off it was a toy. I've been to highschool in Kansas and Indiana, in Indianapolis (Perry Merridian Sucks) the "gang members" were sooooo fake that I'd have an easier time thinking the Kansas "gang members" were in "real" gangs. >#2 i never once attended a school that wasn't infested with rats, mice, >roaches, and other "critters" > Our school has little to no infestation. I believe it was the same in Indy. >#3 when 90% of the people at the school (including teachers, security >guards, etc.) are either high or drunk... hell, 7 of the teachers at my >hs were dealers... > -i took some C++ programming class (i didn't learn a thing cuz >the teacher had this thing for me and my friend so pretty much we let him >hit on us and we got A+'s... in fact, we missed the final in that class >cuz we drove up to kansas to see TMBG playing!) but uhm he walked into >class one day and dropped his bag... starts picking things up >frantically.."where's my pipe?! anyone seen my pipe... ah, here it is!" > I'd say 10% of the student body does pot, nothing else. I also know of two teachers who do pot. >#4 other "crazes" during the school year... > Crazes for Hutch, uh, stickers, lots and lots of stickers. >#7 our sports teams are a total joke... since we start the year out with >2200 people we're automatically placed in 5A (the largest school >divisions in competition) and so we get to these games against any >suburban team and we just get laughed at (in every sport except >basketball... we're semi-ok when it comes to basketball) (and water polo >but that's a long story...) > We lose every game. I don't care, shcool's don't need sports. LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980618130427.006b5cb8@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 08:04:27 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: XTC v. AA on STD At 01:18 AM 6/18/98 -0400, Dylan Flipse wrote: >At 12:32 AM 6/18/98 EDT, you wrote: >>Although The Guitar isn't there and I'm disappointed about that, I think we >Yes. Big time "Waaaaah" on this. I love the Guitar. Give me more Guitar. >NOWish. > I'm happy I'm not going to have the guitar on another album myself. That seems to be everyones in this town's fav'rit TMBG song, anytime someone notices I have the CDs they put A18 in and go ahead and force me to listen to that song again. >>they passed over some other Factory Showroom songs. TMBG has >>an affinity for the song "Pet Name". >Now, I don't have any proof, but I bet this all has to do with whatever >goes on in the dark on that stage. You just wait and see... > Okay I'll wait. Bye, LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980618131516.006ab274@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 08:15:16 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: XTC v. AA on STD At 05:36 AM 6/18/98 -0600, tmbgirl@juno.com wrote: >>Oh man, I forgot about this. Is the aforementioned Mike Leffel still >>on >>this list? And if so, is he still doing those lovely sigs? I'm just >>sort >>of curious... > >welcome back bill... but uhm, no... he's still disappeared off the face >of the planet... we all have our theories tho... (damn canucks!) >heh... you've been back on the list for like 3 days and you think he >could have gone that long without posting?!? > You know, you guys got me crying. I miss Mike Leffel. Leffel = God. LDB, reverand of the church of Leffel. -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980618131821.006bd8f4@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 08:18:21 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: canadians... US schools At 07:48 AM 6/18/98 -0500, Robin wrote: >Ok. not all schools are bad. but if one does not have enough money to >spend on school (like they are trying to feed the family) it is difficult >to get a good education. the most obvious exception being living in a >small town. as a whole, the schools in the us could be much >better...especially when conmpared to schools in other countries. > Again I state this is over simplification, again. I'd prefer to attend any of my school's that I've gone to, then that of any other country. The exchange student from Columbia (Columbians think all Americans smoke pot) said he prefered our school to his. In japan there is no real interaction with your teacher. LDB, The King of The Converters. -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980618135034.5878.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Sarah Starr" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #7-15 Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 06:50:33 PDT >At 4:27 PM -0400 6/17/98, SpiderEyes wrote: >>>the kansas accent? have i never noticed this cuz i'm a mere 5 hours from >>>the state and i too have the same "accent" or are you just smoking the >> >>Being born and raised in northern Virginia to the age of 18 (just two years >>ago, wow), taught to speak by a New Englander, and never exposed to >>Midwesterners or Kansans or anyone else till college (very sheltered >>childhood), I feel I can state definitively that LDB is right and Kansans >>have no accent. Most people in the Midwest, central states, Pacific >>Northwest, etc have very minimal accents, whereas the entire east Coast, >>Gulf Coast, California, and Bluegrass country have relatively strong accents. well here's the blast from me (just a little one)....I am from Connecticut and we have no accents either. I agree that other Eastern states (Massachusetts and especially Boston, Maine, and New York especially the city and Long Island) have really awful accents where they cannot say the letter "r" properly or speak through their noses constantly (no offense to anyone, but that's how it sounds to me), but Connecticut has no accent...except for a slight tendency to say "quater" instead of "quarter"....:) ok, blast me now :) Sarah faye the vampire princess http://www.angelfire.com/ca/sarianway sarian@hotmail.com FingerOfMyGlove@tmbg.org marymae@hotmail.com lindramine@hotmail.com "I wish I'd gotten to know her before I fell in love." --TMBG Goth Code v3.1A--GoAu5 TJtYin7 PMoShDe B8/20Bk"1 cBk(Br)-s5 V6 M4 ZMehTeiMegCl C6o a17- n5F b46 H157 g4T??97 mEa4@z4 w6T v5M r4BIS p2ZZZZZz D87! h5 sF7M SsYn k3Mm N1196EWH RdS LusNY6 ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35894837.3211@fuse.net> Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 10:02:47 -0700 From: jays your one-paged dictionary Organization: dial-a-song! 718-287-6962, narrrrrrrrr! Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #7-15 Sarah Starr wrote: > constantly (no offense to anyone, but that's how it sounds to me), but > Connecticut has no accent...except for a slight tendency to say "quater" > instead of "quarter"....:) > i knew a girl once from michigan who said "bayg" rather than bag, or "dayger" rather than dagger, "fayg" for fag, and so on. oh, damn her, damn her friends, and damn everyone who currently knows her ... *sob* -- jayhc, always pondering that relationship. e-mail: sirjamez@fuse.net, phonebook@tmbg.org aol im: SaturnChrd, PhoneBookJ irc: PhoneBook "and sadly the cross-eyed bear's been put to sleep behind the stairs, and his shoes are laced with irony." --tmbg "Hey, some people take drugs and some people like to have sex all day, I like to watch my bees as I make music, so what." --steve vai -- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35892792.2C28@erols.com> Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 10:43:30 -0400 From: Zydell Subject: Re: TMBG: XTC v. AA on STD > I'm happy I'm not going to have the guitar on another album myself. That > seems to be everyones in this town's fav'rit TMBG song, anytime someone > notices I have the CDs they put A18 in and go ahead and force me to listen > to that song again. > I agree I used to really like the guitar, when it was new, but it has become the track I skip frequently now. Its kinda like S-e-x-x-y. It was a single and I loved it, but I guess I overplayed it with the singles AND the re-mixes AND the regular CD. But I don't know about when its live...Its been forever since I saw them live--DEC 1996 or Jan 1997. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 12:14:07 -0400 Message-Id: From: Ben Knowles Subject: TMBG: std - woo-hoo re: std tracklisting woo-hoo! can't wait. re: >OH and whoever said something about American Schools being bad, know nothing >of which they speak. #1 why do other countries have better scores in the >samplings they send for the tests. The U.S. sends a random sampling of >students, while other countries send a sampling of their best students. i'm interested to know where you heard this. it sounds like pro-u.s. propaganda to me. our media has an overwhelming pro-u.s. bias, so why have we never heard this? hmmm... >in Japan there is no teacher/student interaction, it's mainly all book work >with a teacher to scream at ya when you get off task. #3 Go to my school, >gointo the ITV lab, look at all the equipment, then fly to a random country >walk into their school and look for any equipment that is of equal or >greater value. #4 I don't know about you but my school now has a T1 or T3 >(I'm not exactly sure) and every class is hooked to the internet. nobody said we didn't have money. but just because we're well-equipped doesn't mean we're anything other than spoiled. we're also the most overweight nation in the world, which says something along the same lines. re: >All i want to say is have some faith and pride in your country. There are >a lot of problems which could be easily solved if more people would just >get some initiative and work at it instead of complaining all the time. >sure the schools suck (for the most part) and many polititions would >rather vote for where-ever the money came from. but the joy of this >country is that we have the power to not elect them again. ahh, yes, i've heard this one before. newsflash: money buys power. our votes don't mean nearly as much as politicians would like us to think, especially with the two-party system and the archaic electoral college system still in place. why do you think we have these political dynasties like the bushes and the kennedies? because they have MONEY, and lot's of it. sorry, gotta go, nub aka ben ------------------------------ From: Insomneeak@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 12:22:53 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Hagfish (WRBC) << This radio station must be Bates's station. Do you go there? The reason I ask is I'm going there in September and wondering if there is a They following. -Charis Campbell>> There isn't a huge They following or anything, but there are plenty of fans around. And the station has a nice selection of TMBG stuff (Live in NYC, Lincoln vinyl, stuff like that).. If you want to check out the radio station (and listen live with RealAudio) go to: http://sneezy.bates.edu/wrbc/ Nick P.S. if anybody thinks doing a live net TMBG-thon is a good idea, please write me and say so. Otherwise, it might not be worth the trouble of getting it all together. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35890C71.C2E4E89B@tmbg.org> Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 12:47:48 +0000 From: "Chris \"Feeny\" Campbell" Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #7-15 Sarah Starr wrote: > >At 4:27 PM -0400 6/17/98, SpiderEyes wrote: > >>>the kansas accent? have i never noticed this cuz i'm a mere 5 hours > from > >>>the state and i too have the same "accent" or are you just smoking > the > >> > >>Being born and raised in northern Virginia to the age of 18 (just two > years > >>ago, wow), taught to speak by a New Englander, and never exposed to > >>Midwesterners or Kansans or anyone else till college (very sheltered > >>childhood), I feel I can state definitively that LDB is right and > Kansans > >>have no accent. Most people in the Midwest, central states, Pacific > >>Northwest, etc have very minimal accents, whereas the entire east > Coast, > >>Gulf Coast, California, and Bluegrass country have relatively strong > accents. > > well here's the blast from me (just a little one)....I am from > Connecticut and we have no accents either. I agree that other Eastern > states (Massachusetts and especially Boston, Maine, and New York > especially the city and Long Island) have really awful accents where > they cannot say the letter "r" properly or speak through their noses > constantly (no offense to anyone, but that's how it sounds to me), but > Connecticut has no accent...except for a slight tendency to say "quater" > instead of "quarter"....:) > > ok, blast me now :) > Not all Mainers have an accent- I was taught to say my "r"s and not like "ahh"! I don't say "cah" or "ayuh"- It's mostly the old people in the north of the state that talk like this. Don't believe the stereotype, ayuh! -Charis (who parks her car, not pahks heh cah) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19980618125105.007be100@pop.cwru.edu> Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 12:51:05 -0400 From: Jen Childs Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #7-15 >well here's the blast from me (just a little one)....I am from >Connecticut and we have no accents either. Based on everyone I've met from Connecticut- and half my family is from there so I've been up once or twice- there is a distinct accent. It's very different from Boston, Maine, New York, etc (though similar to that in small-town, non-Boston area Massachusetts) but there does seem to me to be an accent. Of course, your area of Connecticut may be different from where I've been- maybe your section doesn't have any accent at all. - SpiderEyes ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 10:54:58 -0700 Subject: TMBG: The Man Message-ID: <19980618.105501.10382.0.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Josh Nielsen) It was me who first said something about The Man being on bags. It's a store called Bi-Mart, which is only in Oregon and Washington (but mostly Oregon). So, if anyone wants one, I'll see if they still have them and keep you posted. Josh Nielsen jnielsen69@juno.com http://www.angelfire.com/or/jnielsen/ http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Studio/4091 ICQ #1337243 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Music Videos Message-ID: <19980618.135758.2279.0.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 13:58:53 EDT Has anybody else heard about this video tape that's supposed to be released this summer? It's said to have every video that They Might Be Giants have made so far. Anybody heard any specifics about this? Derek "Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age" _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 14:03:08 -0400 Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Best movie of all time + Hagfish Message-ID: <19980618.140319.6838.1.Mr.Train@juno.com> Do I have to say it? fine... i will "Swingers" there.. the best movie ever made...( also a damn cool soundtrack) I thought Resivoir Dogs is a cool flick too, but probably not one of the best... When I get back on the 3Oth of June, I am going to give the list an e-mail address so the members of this list can vote for THE BEST MOVIE OF ALL TIME* (*according to the TMBG mailing list).... so look out for that... I'll post the results after blah blah whatever, (details later...) until the 30th I will be off the list starting tomorrow... then I'll rejoin... PS: if we're gonna have the Hagfish discussion again, I might as well offer my copy of the song (live, I might add) to the list... if you want it, send me an e-mail with Subj:"Hagtwist Tim" and I will send you the song in .ra format (sorry no other formats available) Tim, we also forgot American Werewolf in Paris (achklach!) Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: She's Actual Size Last CD purchase: Everclear (afterglow) - Foutains of Wayne (s/t) - Royal Crown Revue (Mugsy's Move) Favorite mainstream song:One Week - Barenaked Ladies On Wed, 17 Jun 1998 20:13:56 EDT DrWormX@aol.com writes: >um...excuse me..is everyone totally forgetting about Pee-Wee's Big >Adventure?! >You must be, because no one with any competence (I'm gonna look dumb >if I spelled that wrong) would over look this great moment in cinema >history. > >Matt- the town drunk's angry son > >The few surviving samurai surveyed the battle field, they count the >arms, the >legs, and heads, and then divide by five >http://members.aol.com/DrWormX > _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: "Mr. Me" Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 13:17:26 CST Subject: TMBG: the whole schools issue Message-ID: <75D6D952DFE@athena.valpo.edu> the one big difference in comparing US school performance with other countries is access to tests. in america, everyone who pays the registration fee can take the SAT or ACT. comparable tests in germany and japan have limited access. that is, those who take the exams are already in the top of their class. however, since most americans who take the tests are either college, trade school, or military bound, they're probably fairly similar to other countries' citizens who take the tests. still, the difference is enough to make the comparison statistically unreliable. a word on computers: internet connections and pentium IIs don't necessarily make for a better classroom. two reasons. one, schools that shelled out money for new computers often hire a few more teachers and hold seminars on better teaching techniques. i'll put money on the theory that what really boosts a school's performance after a new computer purchase is the better teaching and lower student/teacher ratio. second, a good deal of computer learning, especially for younger students (i'm referring to things like math and spelling games on the computer) can be done on apple IIe's and 386s. it's scary to see schools scrap their music, arts and athletics programs for the sake of a couple computers. j [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] "Instead of creating new weapons of destruction, we ought to get some use out of the ones we already have." Deep Thoughts [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] Experience the many media of Jeremy Skrenes! Email: jskrenes@athena.valpo.edu Snail: or p356jskrenes@exodus.valpo.edu Wehrenberg Hall Airwaves: Sunday nights, 12-2am 95.1, WVUR Valparaiso, IN 46383 ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 12:23:21 -0600 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Hagfish (WRBC) Message-ID: <19980618.122812.8646.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> hEy HEy! about hagfish... they're a pretty cool band i first saw them when they were on tour with save ferris. They're pretty well known in the ska/punk community but... Then last week when i was at the homegrown concert (an excellent 'ska' band... they have a hilarious cover of aqua's "barbie girl") where like 8 people had hagfish shirts on... i was impressed. there was a 'punk band' from NYC that played at that show as well... "the mansfields" that i would seriously recomend to anyone that likes the mr t experience (as i know there are lots of listies that are MTX fans). take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::grr... i have to miss the hagfish/zeke show this weekend cuz i'll be in lincoln::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 18 Jun 98 14:46 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #7-15 >i knew a girl once from michigan who said "bayg" rather than bag, or >"dayger" rather than dagger, "fayg" for fag, and so on. oh, damn her, >damn her friends, and damn everyone who currently knows her ... *sob* Jay, now you've got me saying this words over and over to see if I say them funny... :} Yeah, I think there's a slight "day" in my "dagger".. I have an odd tendency to say "dawg" instead of "dog," but I think I picked that up from my Maryland and New Jersey-accented friends; same place I picked up "sowry" instead of "sorry," I think. I don't generally have a real accent, I don't think, but I pick up other people's accents and patterns of speech *very* readily. My friend Patrick's family is originally from Ireland, and he has a rather strange accent that's a combination of his Irish family and his British tutor; he had speech therepy, but still slips into when he's either very comfortable, very nervous, or enraged. (when he's really angry, you can't understand what he's saying at all.. ;)) Anyway, when I hang around with him for more than a couple hours, I start to pick up his vocal tics and stuff. It's kind of cool. :) I'm hoping to aquire a British accent when I go there for study abroad in a couple years. ;) Kirsten -- [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] "And she said losing love is like a window in your heart Everybody sees you're blown apart..." - Paul Simon "Graceland" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ From: mjames@khserver.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9806181851.AA20229@khserver.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #7-15 Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 14:51:28 -0400 (EDT) > think I picked that up from my Maryland and New Jersey-accented friends; Hey, don't be mixing New Jersey and Maryland accents, they couldn't be more different! > It's kind of cool. :) I'm hoping to aquire a British accent when I go > there for study abroad in a couple years. ;) Good luck, they'll probably see through it, those sneaky brits ;) By the way, which of the about 1 billion different British accents would you like to pick up? -Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19980618145659.007a6290@email.psu.edu> Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 14:56:59 -0400 From: "J. L. Moquin" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #7-15 At 02:46 PM 6/18/98 EDT, Kirsten Brodbeck wrote: [snip] >I don't >generally have a real accent, I don't think, but I pick up other people's >accents and patterns of speech *very* readily. [snip] I do this, too!!! Oh, it pisses my husband off... You should have seen how annoyed he was with me after we saw "Fargo"!!! :D But I really don't do it on purpose! Some people just have an ear for language... Oh, and my take on the whole "Who has an accent" thread? Everybody in the whole world thinks, "I don't have an accent but those people over there do." There is no such thing as Speaking a Language with No Accent, because accent is a relative term. So there. Ok, gotta go, the baby is trying to lay on one of the cats... :O -jennifer, mommy to alice the bean, 8/15/97 http://www.emprl.psu.edu/~anth/ mailto:jls5@psu.edu "Some women have reported problems using Reality." -- Instructions for the female condom ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 18 Jun 98 16:08 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #7-15 >Hey, don't be mixing New Jersey and Maryland accents, they couldn't be >more different! I know, but they both say "sowry" the same way. Sowry... :} >> It's kind of cool. :) I'm hoping to aquire a British accent when I go >> there for study abroad in a couple years. ;) >Good luck, they'll probably see through it, those sneaky brits ;) Oh, most likely. But it'll be another accent I can slip into when I get back here. I can already do a fairly passable Brit, a pretty good Joisey, and an excellent Minnesotan. So this'll just add scope to my language abilities. ;) >By the way, which of the about 1 billion different British accents would >you like to pick up? Does it really matter? No one here is going to know the difference.. ;) I'll probably pick up whatever accent my friends there have. Kirsten -- [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] "And she said losing love is like a window in your heart Everybody sees you're blown apart..." - Paul Simon "Graceland" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ From: MatFoley99@aol.com Message-ID: <1c10b220.358985cf@aol.com> Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 17:25:33 EDT Subject: TMBG: a new topic? Well, this isn't anything major, but I was just looking at the back of the They'll Need a Crane EP, and noticed something. Now, for those of you that have it or the Then: compilation, you might wanna check this out. If you look at the table on the back, are those the Factory Showroom blocks? You know, the ones you can make by cutting, folding, and pasting (in that order). Yes, I know there's like a few years in between the two albums, but maybe, well, who knows... Chris "Can you start my orange" Brannan ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980618213216.16336.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: Re: TMBG: Music Videos Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 14:32:16 PDT This much I can tell you, I hear that it does, in fact, include ALL the videos. It sould be relesed with the new CD, "Severe Tire Damage". If that proves correct, the video should be relesed around August 11. Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com "If dolphins are so smart, how come they get caught in those fishing nets?" -Eric Cartman ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 18 Jun 98 17:38 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: TMBG: ACK! Is there any way to retrieve a lost email box? For some reason the entire contents of my email box disappeared just now. So if anyone was expecting email from me... sorry. :( Kirsten -- [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] "And she said losing love is like a window in your heart Everybody sees you're blown apart..." - Paul Simon "Graceland" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Message-ID: <01BD9ACD.0C97F3A0@s188-23.resnet.ucla.edu> From: Josh Morgan Subject: Re: TMBG: a new topic? Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 15:23:29 -0700 > this isn't anything major, but I was just looking at the back of the They'll > Need a Crane EP, and noticed something. Now, for those of you that have it or > the Then: compilation, you might wanna check this out. If you look at the > table on the back, are those the Factory Showroom blocks? i don't know if those are the Factory Showroom blocks, but i DO know that the stage with the mic podiums and the steeples and the pictures of the john's grandfathers is at the very left of the picture on the back of the They'll Need a Crane EP... Josh Morgan ------------------------------ Message-ID: <01BD9ACD.9F6C73E0@s188-23.resnet.ucla.edu> From: Josh Morgan Subject: Re: TMBG: a new topic? Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 15:27:35 -0700 i forgot to mention that the mic podiums and the steeples and the pictures of the john's grandfathers is originally from the cover of Lincoln. Josh ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 16:48:35 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: a new topic? Message-ID: <19980618.164840.8646.4.TMBgirl@juno.com> On Thu, 18 Jun 1998 15:27:35 -0700 Josh Morgan writes: >i forgot to mention that the mic podiums and the steeples and the >pictures of the john's grandfathers is originally from the cover of >Lincoln. didn't i read somewhere that linny and brian dewan shared a "studio/apartment" where brian just left all of his "statues" lying about? i always just assumed that that picture was taken there... ooh... i think it was that pitchfork interview that never ended... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::it's a long inside joke why we call 'em statues but ya know::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980618225757.006aaf84@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 17:57:57 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: the whole schools issue >a word on computers: internet connections and pentium IIs don't >necessarily make for a better classroom. two reasons. one, schools >that shelled out money for new computers often hire a few more >teachers and hold seminars on better teaching techniques. i'll put >money on the theory that what really boosts a school's performance >after a new computer purchase is the better teaching and lower >student/teacher ratio. second, a good deal of computer learning, >especially for younger students (i'm referring to things like math >and spelling games on the computer) can be done on apple IIe's and >386s. it's scary to see schools scrap their music, arts and >athletics programs for the sake of a couple computers. I'd prefer all schools to scrap their atheletic programs, or at least reform them. I feel really left out that I'm paying taxes so that our team can get uniforms to go lose a bunch of games. I believe that the athletics should pay for themselves. I also believe that the music programs should be reformed as well. I believe that your grade should not depend on showing up to "concerts" and the like, those should be considered extra-curricular activities. LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-Id: <9806190042.AA13304@willis.williams.edu> Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 20:48:15 +0100 From: beknowles@vaxsar.vassar.edu (Ben Knowles) Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg: new york city re: new yorkers being mean. i don't know who this is a response to, but i just wanted to say one more thing about the subject. i'm from iowa. i go to school in poughkeepsie, ny. in general, the people with whom i've come in contact in new york (not just nyc, mind you) have been, by and far, much ruder than your typical iowan. in my experience, which, i admit is not totally comprehensive, new yorkers tend to not really want to give you the time of day. you can tell me all about how people are the same everywhere, and in a lot of ways you're right, but i'm telling you what i've experienced. and of course i'm not talking about every new yorker, that would be dumb. i'm talking about that one lady that treated me like dirt at the amtrack ticket window, or that jerk that stole my computer, or that other jerk that tried to steal my walkman and camera. etc. you get the point. of course, iowans tend to be homophobic racist hicks. in fact, EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM IS!! BURN THEM ALL!!! AAAUUGHH!!! ben "i'll never post to the list sober again" aka nub *%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%* | | | "Every jumbled pile of person Ben Knowles - Vassar College | | has a thinking part that wonders beknowles@vassar.edu | | what the part that isn't thinking Physics - Astronomy | | isn't thinking of." - TMBG Photography Editor, Misc. | | | *%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%* ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 18:16:58 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: the whole schools issue Message-ID: I agree. In my high school, the guys sports are the only extracurricular event completely funded by the school, and when the band (including myself) went to the state basketball tournament, at first they said that they would give us $8.00 a person for food, but then tried to stiff us for the last two days, it took the band director threatening to quit his job for us to get our $8 bucks, when the team got $18! The priorities of the U.S. school systems really piss me off! In the town of Port Orchard, Washington, the schools had no money, and they failed about 6 levies, and the one that failed that wiped out the precious football team was immediately followed by a levy that passed. It all sucks. Jon Helfgott ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 21:15:59 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: the whole schools issue Message-ID: <19980618.211605.8646.5.TMBgirl@juno.com> >I agree. In my high school, the guys sports are the only >extracurricular >event completely funded by the school, yeah well try complaining when you're a chick and you participate in 4 different HS sports none of which get funded... I was city champion every year and the only person from the entire denver district to qualify for the state championships in swimming and the city couldn't afford to even pay for anything... no food, no hotel, no gas... hell, i sat there and watched as the suburban schools gave their athletes warm-ups, suits, charter buses, hotels for two nights... i'm just saying that it totally depends on where you go to school... some schools are excellent and some just suck. and yes, i think a lot of it has to do with the location. don't sterotype US schools based solely on the kind of school you go to (or went to). >I'd prefer all schools to scrap their atheletic programs, i'm almost laughing at how elitist and pompous you sound... for some kids athletics are the only way to get to college... prime example for any basketball fans: chauncey billups and i went to school together... and even though he was on this shitty team that always lost he had talent and people saw that... he got a full ride to CU played there for a while and then quit to go play in the NBA (i think he's playing in boston now but i really don't know)... where you can find him today. if it weren't for his playing in HS the CU people never would have seen him and given him that chance to make it big ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html Latest CD's: -BF5: Whatever and Ever Amen (finally!) -Soul Couhging: Irresistible Bliss (thanks to all on the list that recomended this album... i love it!) _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <358A0A38.3BF@fuse.net> Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 23:50:32 -0700 From: jays your one-paged dictionary Organization: dial-a-song! 718-287-6962, narrrrrrrrr! Subject: Re: TMBG: the whole schools issue tmbgirl@juno.com wrote: > i'm almost laughing at how elitist and pompous you sound... for some kids > athletics are the only way to get to college... prime example for any > basketball fans: > chauncey billups and i went to school together... and even though he was > on this shitty team that always lost he had talent and people saw that... --snip stuff about chauncey makin' it big.-- i've always lived by this arrogant, foolish opinion: if sports are your only way into school, p'raps an academic environment wouldn't be the most beneficial place for you. just a difference of opinion--i have never taken an interest in sports of any kind, and thus i believe sports should be totally forsaken in favor of complete academic studies. sports have just seemed .. uh .. pointless. :) peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jayhc. -- jayhc, the pretty fly. e-mail: sirjamez@fuse.net, phonebook@tmbg.org aol im: SaturnChrd, PhoneBookJ irc: PhoneBook "and sadly the cross-eyed bear's been put to sleep behind the stairs, and his shoes are laced with irony." --tmbg "Hey, some people take drugs and some people like to have sex all day, I like to watch my bees as I make music, so what." --steve vai -- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980618231741.0069efe0@pop.indy.net> Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 23:17:41 -0400 From: rachel Subject: Re: TMBG: a new topic? matt foley wrote: >Well, >this isn't anything major, but I was just looking at the back of the They'll >Need a Crane EP, and noticed something. Now, for those of you that have it or >the Then: compilation, you might wanna check this out. If you look at the >table on the back, are those the Factory Showroom blocks? i thought that for a while but passed it up for the more plauseable idea that they were film boxes, which can be seen a lot clearer on the record. i don't think they keep their props around for that long, but i could be wrong- that old guy's head sure has survived quite a bit. hee hee;) meow, rachel (jay, i promise to write you back soon but i just worked a 13 hour day. ugh, there should be laws). ;) art work can now be found at: http://www.geocities.com/soho/museum/5039 enjoy! ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 22:42:54 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: the whole schools issue Message-ID: <19980618.224259.8646.7.TMBgirl@juno.com> if sports are >your >only way into school, p'raps an academic environment wouldn't be the >most beneficial place for you. excuse me? just cuz i can't afford to go to college i can't use my scholarships so that i can? because an academic environment isn't appropriate for me? guess what bud, i can balance my time... four sports, work, school (ended with a 4.7 GPA... weighted with AP classes) i don't see why it wouldn't be "the most beneficial place for me" take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::Crazy 'Joda,' Nicotine, And Her Red Jet Air Balloon::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <358A18C7.4C16@fuse.net> Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 00:52:39 -0700 From: jays your one-paged dictionary Organization: dial-a-song! 718-287-6962, narrrrrrrrr! Subject: Re: TMBG: the whole schools issue tmbgirl@juno.com wrote: > excuse me? just cuz i can't afford to go to college i can't use my > scholarships so that i can? because an academic environment isn't > appropriate for me? guess what bud, i can balance my time... four sports, > work, school (ended with a 4.7 GPA... weighted with AP classes) i don't > see why it wouldn't be "the most beneficial place for me" actually, i should rephrase what i earlier said--if sports are your only reason for attending college, then it wouldn't be the most beneficial place for you. all things considered, a 4.7 gpa coupled with subsequent high standardized test scores (not a problem for someone so academically competent) would seem to reap scholarships sufficient enough to pay for schooling sans sports. it's how many, many people i know plan. jay. -- jayhc, who got a scholarship for having gimpy knees. ;) e-mail: sirjamez@fuse.net, phonebook@tmbg.org aol im: SaturnChrd, PhoneBookJ irc: PhoneBook "and sadly the cross-eyed bear's been put to sleep behind the stairs, and his shoes are laced with irony." --tmbg "Hey, some people take drugs and some people like to have sex all day, I like to watch my bees as I make music, so what." --steve vai -- ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 19 Jun 98 01:10 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: the whole schools issue I also believe that the music programs should be >reformed as well. I believe that your grade should not depend on showing up >to "concerts" and the like, those should be considered extra-curricular >activities. Um, wouldn't that completely destroy the point of classes called things like "Concert Band"? The whole point of band is performing together as a group; if even a handful of instruments are missing, the performance suffers. Besides, why be in band if you're not going to play in the performances? You'd be practicing all that time for nothing. And that's not just with concert band; in marching band it's imperitive that everyone be there, because even one person missing can leave a gaping hole in a formation. Although, on a different tack, our marching band used to be extracurricular - you weren't required to be in it. BUT, you were still required to be at the performances, or have a damn good excuse. Kind of like being in a sport. Part of my point is, things like band aren't just about learning the instrument; they're about performance, and learning to work as a cohesive unit. Sorry for the rant, but as a semi-band-geek (in band forever, but i didn't hang out in the bandroom all the time) I feel pretty strongly about things. Kirsten -- [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] "And she said losing love is like a window in your heart Everybody sees you're blown apart..." - Paul Simon "Graceland" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19980619011749.007c06e0@pop.cwru.edu> Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 01:17:49 -0400 From: SpiderEyes Subject: TMBG: Re: non-tmbg: urban rudeness (long) (Note: this post has no TMBG content or anything else except a brief essay comparing the considerateness of people in cities and small towns. Skip unless you care.) >in general, the people with whom i've come in contact in new york (not just >nyc, mind you) have been, by and far, much ruder than your typical iowan. Since no one has flamed me yet (duck and cover!), I'll throw in a few comments here. Please note that I am proposing general hypotheses, not stating absolute facts or attempting to say everyone fits here. (Once you've noted that, you can go ahead and flame me anyways.) Firstly, although I agree with the above statement in terms of urban NY, I don't want to generalize it to the whole state. I think most everyone will agree that urban dwellers are, on average (key word here!), less considerate than people from small towns. I'm sure we could draw a little scale ranking different size cities and towns, near and far suburbs, etc, but I will stick to general trends and leave the details to the economics majors. So why are urbanites less considerate (on average!)? Well, the odds of seeing that person again are much, much smaller than the odds of seeing the same person in a small town. In smaller populations, word gets around if you act rude, and you're treated differently; accordingly, you have a selfish incentive to act nice. But in a city, very few people know whether you tend to act considerate or not, so the only incentive is simply caring about other people. The argument could then be made that city dwellers care less about others than small town folks do. Personally, I would disagree- but then again, I'm biased. (I was born and raised in the DC suburbs (in both cookie-cutter suburbia and urban sprawl over the city line), am going to college in a rough part of Cleveland, and intend to move to the Seattle suburbs as soon as I get out next May. I've never spent more than a month of my life away from a major city.) Regardless, it's highly possible that acting considerate makes small town folks more considerate in feeling as well. Numerous psychology studies support the intuitive belief that pretending to feel a certain way disposes you toward actually feeling that. And since urban dwellers tend to feel competition- for jobs and housing in particular- more sharply, that also makes them less compassionate and more ruthless. Furthermore, people who are already aggressive or ambitious are much more likely to move to the city. Personally, I'm used to rudeness from strangers, so it doesn't bother me. When I was a cashier and thus got yelled at a lot for other people's mistakes, I told myself that maybe, by venting at me, the customer would get it out of his/her system and not take it home and yell at an equally undeserving family. But since I do care about others, I always make an effort to be kind and considerate, because I know a single smile or friendly gesture is an easy way to brighten someone's day at no cost to the giver- and besides, it'll usually make me feel better too. Okay, I've kind of wondered in this piece, so I'll stop now. I hope you feel I haven't completed wasted your time. We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming. - SpiderEyes :) ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 19 Jun 98 01:21 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: the whole schools issue >i've always lived by this arrogant, foolish opinion: if sports are your >only way into school, p'raps an academic environment wouldn't be the >most beneficial place for you. Yup, arrogant and foolish. You shall be damned to a hell of playing volleyball for all eternity! BWA-HA-HA-HA!!! All joking aside, I disagree with you in quite a few ways, the main one being that *anyone* can benefit from a little higher learning, even if it's not so high... My friend goes to U of M, and happened to be in the remedial writing class last year (what can i say, he's very left-brained, and his writing style bites the big one). So of course, he was in there with all the football guys, and I had to watch football with him so that he could point out all the people he knew... ANYWAY, he had me read a paper by one of the players that he was supposed to proofread one day. It was all about how this guy's life had been up to this point - he'd barely hung on academically in highschool, he was from inner city Detroit, his home life was horrible... But he could play football. And that's what he's doing, and he's getting a little more education, while he's at it. He's the first person in his family to ever go to college, all because he can play football. And as much as I grumble about schools spending money on sports, I can't help but see this as a Good Thing. Kirsten (second rant of the night! I'll never post on caffiene again...) -- [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] "And she said losing love is like a window in your heart Everybody sees you're blown apart..." - Paul Simon "Graceland" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19980619012452.007c5600@pop.cwru.edu> Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 01:24:52 -0400 From: SpiderEyes Subject: Re: TMBG: schools and sports >i've always lived by this arrogant, foolish opinion: if sports are your >only way into school, p'raps an academic environment wouldn't be the >most beneficial place for you. The problem here may be a basic failing in the system. I don't think sports should be tied to schools, at any level, in the way they currently are. If we could separate athletics and academics, then maybe we wouldn't have athletic scholarships for academic studies, scholarly types being shoved into sports, and athletes being forced to take classes like Geology 103, "Rocks for Jocks," just to keep their grades up when they'd do better to focus on practice and training. "College-level" sports don't have to be tied to colleges; the same is true in high school and all the way down. - SpiderEyes ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 01:20:54 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: "the old guy" Message-ID: <19980619.012313.3222.0.gray42@juno.com> On Thu, 18 Jun 1998 23:17:41 -0400 rachel writes: that old guy's head sure has survived quite a bit. hee hee;) > >meow, >rachel OK, I've been listening to TMBG for 5 years now, I've been on this list for about a half a year, but I can tell there is still alot I don't know. But then again, there's a chance noone will no the answer to this either, but it'll make for a temporary thread. Who is "the old guy", what does he symbolize, and if you don't know either, make "an educated guess" [SS], who or what do you think the old guy is? Mysterio Gal (fellow Subgenius & Happy Mutant) "I DON'T LIKE HAMBURGER, I WANT PEANUTBUTTER, ACTUALLY I HATE PEANUTBUTTER TOO! I JUST WANT HAIR!" -- Claire Monster (fully equipped with extremely loud keyboard and monster voice) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980619054718.006b079c@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 00:47:18 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: the whole schools issue >>I'd prefer all schools to scrap their atheletic programs, > >i'm almost laughing at how elitist and pompous you sound... for some kids >athletics are the only way to get to college... prime example for any >basketball fans: >chauncey billups and i went to school together... and even though he was >on this shitty team that always lost he had talent and people saw that... >he got a full ride to CU played there for a while and then quit to go >play in the NBA (i think he's playing in boston now but i really don't >know)... where you can find him today. >if it weren't for his playing in HS the CU people never would have seen >him and given him that chance to make it big > Thanx I'm elitist and pompous, but didn't you forget egotistical. What I mean is, I'd rather the sports pay for themselves, not the Tax payers. The schools should do better things with that money. We are a small kansas town and our school has the use of 6 gyms, (One of which is a sports arena, and the place the NJCAA Basketball Tournament takes place) and now we're building another. WE DON'T NEED ANOTHER. While I'm at it, I don't think that the school board should get an underground watering system for their front yard, that is the biggest waste of them all. LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980619055717.006b7944@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 00:57:17 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: the whole schools issue > And that's not just with concert band; in marching band it's >imperitive that everyone be there, because even one person missing can >leave a gaping hole in a formation. Although, on a different tack, our >marching band used to be extracurricular - you weren't required to be in >it. BUT, you were still required to be at the performances, or have a >damn good excuse. Kind of like being in a sport. > That's what I mean. It should be like that. I joined band way back when to learn an instrument, and to perform at concerts. But I was required to do the marching stuff, and to goto other things that I believe I shouldn't have had to be there for. Band should be extracurricular, not as a class, but as an activity. > Part of my point is, things like band aren't just about learning >the instrument; they're about performance, and learning to work as a >cohesive unit. Sorry for the rant, but as a semi-band-geek (in band >forever, but i didn't hang out in the bandroom all the time) I feel pretty >strongly about things. I was kicked out of band. Or more like carried out by the teacher. Who I finished by kicking him a few times. We had our disagreements. LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #7-20 *****************************