Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #7-21 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 7, Number 21 Sunday, 21 June 1998 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: the whole schools issue TMBG: old guy / ny'ers / accents / schools Re: TMBG: Track Listing for STD posted Re: TMBG: POTA - Kraftwerk Re: TMBG: old guy / ny'ers / accents / schools Re: TMBG: the whole schools issue NON-TMBG: KissingTest/Stupidest thing I've heard today Re: TMBG: the whole schools issue Re: TMBG: the whole schools issue Re: TMBG: the whole schools issue Re: TMBG: the whole schools issue Re: TMBG: the whole schools issue / Hello club Re: TMBG: XTC v. AA on STD TMBG: dagnabit. re: tmbg: the whole schools issue Re: Non-TMBG: Best movie of all time + Hagfish Re: TMBG: the whole schools issue Re: TMBG: the whole schools issue Re: TMBG: "the old guy" Re: NON-TMBG: the whole schools issue / Hello club Re: TMBG: non-tmbg: new york city TMBG: TMBG Visual Discography-Big Update NON-TMBG: accents, schools, Mono Puff Re: Non-TMBG: Best movie of all time + Hagfish TMBG: Mono Puff Re:TMBG: Finished With Lies TMBG: non-tmbg (but there is a little They as well): drinking Re: Non-TMBG: Best movie of all time Re: Non-TMBG: Best movie of all time TMBG: Chicken TMBG:On Cars, In Base Ball?! Re: NON-TMBG: the whole schools issue / Hello club Re: NON-TMBG: accents, schools, Mono Puff Re: Non-TMBG: Best movie of all time TMBG: perfect Linnell collaboration Re: NON-TMBG: accents, schools, Mono Puff TMBG: Oodles more STD info Re: TMBG: perfect Linnell collaboration TMBG: Ordering from the Info Club Re: TMBG: POTA Re: TMBG: POTA Re: TMBG: TMBG Visual Discography-Big Update Re: TMBG: TMBG Visual Discography-Big Update TMBG and NON-TMBG: Movies and A Mystery TMBG and NON-TMBG: Movies and A Mystery Re: TMBG and NON-TMBG: Movies and A Mystery Re: TMBG and NON-TMBG: Movies and A Mystery Re: Non-TMBG: Best movie of all time TMBG: mono puff Re: TMBG: non-tmbg: new york city TMBG: Covering TMBG Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: gray42@juno.com Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 02:05:20 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: the whole schools issue Message-ID: <19980619.020613.3222.1.gray42@juno.com> OK, I goto a magnet (is that the word?) school, as a fine art student (high school), and if I weren't a fine art student, I'd be going to my district's school. The area I live in is much smaller than the area I go to school in, and the crime rate is 5 times lower. Here's the really screwed up bit: The school I go to(BHS) has a lower crime rate than my district's(VHS) school. In VHS, a girl was raped, and there is a violent gang (only 1) called V-town (a group of skinhead's who enjoy beating each other up and causing trouble) At BHS, gangs and rapes are unheard of, but about every 3 months, over the announcements, you hear of some student who was (a)dragged into the woods, and shot (b)got drunk, and was killed in a wreck, or (c) committed suicide off some bridge after discovering she was pregnant. We never hear of any in school tragedies, but VHS has more in school tragedies than out of school tragedies. On the subject of funding of sports and art, I don't know avout sports, I don't bother to pay attention, cause they bore the hell out of me (along with pop. fashion and prom night), but as far as funding the arts goes, being in a magnet school that relies on the arts. I don't have a lot to worry about, but from what I've heard, they have cut the funding quite a bit, no more art history, VPA classes have gone from 3 hrs a day to 2 hrs, and my art teacher pays for at least half of our supplies out of his own pocket (I really admire that, it shows how much he cares), but we also have to pay for our supplies too, because he'd probably starve if he payed for everything, and art supplies have been getting damned expensive, I mean 6 bucks for a small tube of acrylic paint (what the hell!), or 22 bucks for a bound sketchbook containing 70 pages that is the size of normal notebook paper (ludicrous), is anyone else frustrated by this? Thanx fer listening to my random ramble Mysterio Gal (currently excited about the movie powder, and also spent way too much time enjoying the scent of her brand new dry-erase markers) "I DON'T LIKE HAMBURGER, I WANT PEANUTBUTTER, ACTUALLY I HATE PEANUTBUTTER TOO! I JUST WANT HAIR!" -- Claire Monster (fully equipped with extremely loud keyboard and monster voice) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <3dd7324f.358a0791@aol.com> Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 02:39:12 EDT Subject: TMBG: old guy / ny'ers / accents / schools In a message dated 6/19/98 1:40:08 AM, gray42@juno.com wrote: >OK, I've been listening to TMBG for 5 years now, I've been on this list >for about a half a year, but I can tell there is still alot I don't know. > But then again, there's a chance noone will no the answer to this >either, but it'll make for a temporary thread. Who is "the old guy", >what does he symbolize, and if you don't know either, make "an educated >guess" [SS], who or what do you think the old guy is? William Allen White... and.. i don't remember what his significance is, but I know he can be found in some history encyclopedias... i remember someone on this list found him in a book and xeroxed his picture:) ohoh and while i'm posting.. {gulp} I s'pose i'll add to the o-t threads i was too lazy to reply to before. >'m from iowa. i go to school in poughkeepsie, ny. in general, the people >with whom i've come in contact in new york (not just nyc, mind you) have >been, by and far, much ruder than your typical iowan. in my experience, >which, i admit is not totally comprehensive, new yorkers tend to not >really want to give you the time of day. you can tell me all about how >people are the same everywhere, and in a lot of ways you're right, but i'm >telling you what i've experienced. and of course i'm not talking about >every new yorker, that would be dumb. well, [this isn't really directed to you, just a statment ] i'm no geography major, but i know poughkeepsie is not in NYC. you're talking about NY state, right? I'm no where near NYC but in the same state, and never lived anywhere else in my life, and yeah, i think i can see what you mean... i've heard those.. midwhings would be different anywhere you go. *ooh watch as i segue into another thread!* which is exactly the same as accents go, IMO. I tend to think that everyone more or less grows up thinking that they don't have an accent, right? but when you hear someone from another region, you think that they do. "you have an interesting accent!" "no, you have an accent!" :) ...right? like i find how me and others in this area talk, as perfectly fine, where people that come here from different parts of the state think we talk funny. (i've even heard that buffalo and rochester together, we have our own accent:)) schools ~ (for some reason i'm picturing what i'm about to write as a craig kilborn 'moment for us', if you want to read it in his voice, go right on ahead:)) my school district, is basically, crap. well let me set it up for you. we have 4 or 5 high schools in the district (or suburb, if that's easier).. yes, largest suburb in the rochester area, most overpopulated, so i guess it's needless to say that there's not enough to go around..? we are quite technologically behind. even compared to another suburb, which even has *graphic design classes* in the high school(s?).. ::drool:: where as our schools are saving pennies for apple IIe's. ;P in fact the keyboarding class in my old school *just* upgraded to computers from typewriters. but i don't need to get into budget, the real problem is everything else. a guidance counselor who doesn't speak english and a vp who's never there (which are the reasons why my mom put of my old school.. ::sigh:: oh 1 more year and it's all over anyways.) oh and wanna hear something cute? ...they purposely kept info about the SAT's a quiet thing, because so many people are going to take it, they don't want to deal with it, so they want as few people as possible. :P so we actually have to really dig for the info about the tests (when? where? how much money?) they did not tell us the deadline to sign up. so i missed taking it in grade 11. oh! and pretty much the same thing applied to the grade 10 global studies exam, i won't even get deep into the fact that 70% or so of the school district *failed* it, but that if you got like, a 54 or below, you had to retake it. my friend got a 56 and they wouldn't let her take the make up. (i got a 50, and the retest - which was an easier version, i got an 80.) fair? no. why? so many people failed, they *knew* they couldn't accomodate us all, so they made that cutoff. this is just an example of everything ridiculous they do. i had a teacher in grade 7 who'd (besides being really incompetent and a complete short tempered bitch and having illegible handwriting:)) be in the room with the door locked all the time -sometimes until even way after homeroom began and'd be in there with another teacher - who we'd catch her holding hands with on occasion.. and get *really* touchy about it.. ;) condom wrappers in her trash can (a year later we find out, she got a divorce, which, only goes to prove our theories..); a vp who threw a chair at a kid; my old earth science teacher in grade 9 who'd lose everyone's tests, sometimes would give us the same test twice and *scream* at us for "lying" that we took it, lose homework and take points off for not handing it in ("i don't have it, so you get an f". ;p), and wouldn't let a kid to the bathroom so he peed in the corner ; at least *2* teachers i've had over the course of middle school who were legitamately accused of sexual harrassment by my fellow female classmates; another teacher who left his condoms in his pencil drawer... oh this was pointless but you guys shared so i felt like it too.. and geez, that's only *middle* school. ;D i'm leaving a lot out but you get my point;) hrm, there's a lack of air in this room.. sarah http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ From: CajunGram@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 02:47:58 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Track Listing for STD posted In a message dated 98-06-17 14:29:07 EDT, you write: << Sigh... I had one wish for severe tire damage... one wish... and it came to nothing. Are we never to have one o' those awesome live versions of the guitar on an official CD? Sigh... >> I realize this is not too related, but enough for me at 11:48 on a Thursday!! Me and my friend Matt played the guitar at our summer camp talent show when we were counselors. It was so cool. I played the jangly chords and he played the bass part, and we both sang. It soundsd really cool!!! Graham "No, I have not been drinking" Amsden ------------------------------ From: CajunGram@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 02:49:53 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: POTA - Kraftwerk In a message dated 98-06-17 16:32:19 EDT, you write: << heh... i try... the worst is when i bust in to autobahn... but i imitate the entire vocoder thing at the begining... people give me the funkiest looks... >> What a coincidence... I was at my favorite evit overcharging record store, and I found a used tape copy of Autobahn!!! Graham "Still not drunk" Amsden ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 02:50:13 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: old guy / ny'ers / accents / schools i'm sorry about this, but this looked really stupid and confusing. AOL does this all the time.. i reread my mail before i sent it, and i *know* i did *not* write: >i've heard those.. midwhings would be different anywhere you go. that ought to say - i've heard those.. midwest stereotypes of people being sweet. :) things would be different anywhere you go. - augh, sorry for the confusion and this extra post... ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 23:55:53 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: the whole schools issue Message-ID: however, a lot of schools care only about their athletic programs, and other more useful programs fall by the wayside. They are even thinking of trashing the specil ed program because it's too expensive at my school, but they'll always have the basketball teams. Also, the teams that are the most funded are the ones that have no chance of producing people to go into the NBA. The suburban schools where all of the players are rich kids whose parents know the coach (such as mine), get the most funding. Well, I'm not going to change too many people's minds with this, so, bye Jon Helfgott ------------------------------ From: CajunGram@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 02:57:03 EDT Subject: NON-TMBG: KissingTest/Stupidest thing I've heard today In a message dated 98-06-19 00:57:27 EDT, you write: << LONGEST and the LUCKIEST chain letter on america on-line! If you break the chain letter ( that has been going on since1883 ), You WILL have bad luck!!!>> I didn't know AOL had been around quite that long... Graham ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 00:01:03 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: the whole schools issue Message-ID: if these are your academic credentials (by the way, a 4.7 gpa is impossible) than you could easily get an academic scholarship from somewhere. If, however, a student is an ace at basketball, and gets a 2.0 gpa, and can't afford to have his parents pay off the school board to admit him, and his only way in is sports, he shouldn't be in college, and it wouldn't be a bad idea for non NCAA div. 1 colleges to scrap their sports programs too. (only non NCAA div. 1 because at those colleges, the sports teams make them money) Jon Helfgott ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 00:05:12 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: the whole schools issue Message-ID: and then there's of course, the esteemed Western Washington University, who waters their astroturf field Jon Helfgott On Fri, 19 Jun 1998, The Li'l Depressed Boy wrote: > >>I'd prefer all schools to scrap their atheletic programs, > > > >i'm almost laughing at how elitist and pompous you sound... for some kids > >athletics are the only way to get to college... prime example for any > >basketball fans: > >chauncey billups and i went to school together... and even though he was > >on this shitty team that always lost he had talent and people saw that... > >he got a full ride to CU played there for a while and then quit to go > >play in the NBA (i think he's playing in boston now but i really don't > >know)... where you can find him today. > >if it weren't for his playing in HS the CU people never would have seen > >him and given him that chance to make it big > > > Thanx I'm elitist and pompous, but didn't you forget egotistical. What I > mean is, I'd rather the sports pay for themselves, not the Tax payers. The > schools should do better things with that money. We are a small kansas town > and our school has the use of 6 gyms, (One of which is a sports arena, and > the place the NJCAA Basketball Tournament takes place) and now we're > building another. WE DON'T NEED ANOTHER. > > While I'm at it, I don't think that the school board should get an > underground watering system for their front yard, that is the biggest waste > of them all. > > LDB > -- > (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) > My Web Page Index: > http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ > TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font > -- > Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. > M. Struble. > The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) > & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble > > ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 00:06:17 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: the whole schools issue Message-ID: there are a lot of places where band is extracurricular, but you'd be surprised how many benefits that you lose when it stops being a class. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <358A395D.772D@fuse.net> Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 03:11:41 -0700 From: jays your one-paged dictionary Organization: dial-a-song! 718-287-6962, narrrrrrrrr! Subject: Re: TMBG: the whole schools issue leonard helfgott wrote: > > if these are your academic credentials (by the way, a 4.7 gpa is > impossible) than you could easily get an academic scholarship from > somewhere. If, however, a student is an ace at basketball, and gets a 2.0 > gpa, and can't afford to have his parents pay off the school board to > admit him, and his only way in is sports, he shouldn't be in college, and > it wouldn't be a bad idea for non NCAA div. 1 colleges to scrap their > sports programs too. (only non NCAA div. 1 because at those colleges, the > sports teams make them money) > Jon Helfgott sorry for the short, pointless post, but ... HERE, HERE! -- jayhc, growing old to look like The Man. e-mail: sirjamez@fuse.net, phonebook@tmbg.org aol im: SaturnChrd, PhoneBookJ irc: PhoneBook "and sadly the cross-eyed bear's been put to sleep behind the stairs, and his shoes are laced with irony." --tmbg "Hey, some people take drugs and some people like to have sex all day, I like to watch my bees as I make music, so what." --steve vai -- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 02:47:11 -0500 (CDT) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: the whole schools issue / Hello club Message-ID: Hey all-- Only one post from me today...I think. So anyway, I was looking at Jordan's lovely bootleg page (which is so graciously advertised in each and every post), and I went to the Hello Record Club portion. I remember reading in the promo material for the new Mono Puff album that Flans created the "label" to put out music of some of his favorite artists. So, I'm looking at Soul Coughing, and at Laura Cantrell...the kind of stuff I would expect. Then, oddly enough, I see the Gothic Archies. Then I see Freedy Johnston. Then the Coctails. Then, oddly enough, I see My Dad is Dead. I never really realized that Flans's tastes went so wide. And my respect for him shot up even more with the inclusion of the Gothic Archies (Stephen Merritt is my own personal hero, you know). Anyway, on to more pertinent issues.... On Fri, 19 Jun 1998, leonard helfgott wrote: > there are a lot of places where band is extracurricular, but you'd be > surprised how many benefits that you lose when it stops being a class. Well, I'm not sure of that one there, Leonard (might I say in passing that I do believe that Leonard Helfgott is the best real name on this list...). Anyway, speaking from a high school experience of a few years ago, I really think that an extra-curricular band program is a good idea. After all, once something is a class, many students who would otherwise love to play would be put off by the fact that it's for a grade. In other words, the entire atmosphere in an extra-curricular band program (as opposed to a class-based one) is one that is conducive (sorry, couldn't think of a word I actually knew how to spell) to better music performances. After all...my marching band in high school was extra-curricular, and we won the national competition my freshman year.... Okay...I'm done. Happy deleting, all.... Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu np: Sunny Day Real Estate--Diary (priming myself for new material...eventually) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 02:55:36 -0500 (CDT) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: XTC v. AA on STD Message-ID: Hey all-- Sorry...found some other stuff to respond to... > welcome back bill... but uhm, no... he's still disappeared off the face > of the planet... we all have our theories tho... (damn canucks!) > heh... you've been back on the list for like 3 days and you think he > could have gone that long without posting?!? Damn it all. I'm not sure I ever revealed the information, but Mr. Leffel gave me quite possibly the funniest response when I did that survey a while back. He never answered a damn question, though, which kind of pissed me off, but oh well... > >I'm > >virtually > >keeling over in sheer ecstasy from the fact that "They Got Lost" is on > >there. From my first listen of the song (live--duh--at Bogart's in > >Cincinnati, May of '96), I've loved it profusely. > > uhm, you do know that they totally changed this song... Well, I do know that they changed the song....I'm not sure what is meant by "totally" changed, though. Oh, and I'll be out of town for a few days here, so y'all won't get my wonderful posts for a while. Stop crying. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu ------------------------------ Message-ID: <358A5288.1B41@fuse.net> Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 04:59:04 -0700 From: jays your one-paged dictionary Organization: dial-a-song! 718-287-6962, narrrrrrrrr! Subject: TMBG: dagnabit. re: tmbg: the whole schools issue i've done this twice today, dagnabbit. [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (message/rfc822)] ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 02:11:15 -0700 (PDT) From: "J. Brown" Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Best movie of all time + Hagfish Message-ID: > Do I have to say it? > fine... i will > > "Swingers" > there.. the best movie ever made...( also a damn cool soundtrack) I Huh what? Swingers is the best movie ever made? Come on! Its a good movie and its alot of fun but putting that up against great works of Art like Lawerence of Arabia and Citizen Kane get real! Hell one of my fav movies of all time is Clockwork Orange and i don't think it belongs in the top 100. Fuck Swingers would make my top 1000! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 02:39:47 -0700 (PDT) From: "J. Brown" Subject: Re: TMBG: the whole schools issue Message-ID: On Thu, 18 Jun 1998, leonard helfgott wrote: > I agree. In my high school, the guys sports are the only extracurricular > event completely funded by the school, and when the band (including > myself) went to the state basketball tournament, at first they said that > they would give us $8.00 a person for food, but then tried to stiff us for > the last two days, it took the band director threatening to quit his job > for us to get our $8 bucks, when the team got $18! The priorities of the > U.S. school systems really piss me off! In the town of Port Orchard, > Washington, the schools had no money, and they failed about 6 levies, and > the one that failed that wiped out the precious football team was > immediately followed by a levy that passed. It all sucks. > Jon Helfgott Wow! My hometown gets mentioned on the list! Hell i and i just wrote a paper about how the High school in Port Orchard and the football team in particualr helped for the port orchard/South Kitsap community. My take on HS extracurriculars is that we should handle them like the Europeans do. Ever thing as Club sports (just like little league) you pay you play. and plus no academic elligability requirements ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 04:40:47 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: the whole schools issue Message-ID: <19980619.045059.11134.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> >(by the way, a 4.7 gpa is >impossible) no, i tried to explain that it was weighted with all of my AP classes... hence it's more like it's on a 5.2 scale... but for all of our purposes here consider it a 4.0. i'm sure concepts like that are a little too hard to grasp for some people... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 04:33:56 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: "the old guy" Message-ID: <19980619.045059.11134.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> Who is "the >old guy", what does he symbolize, and if you don't know either, make >"an educated guess" [SS], who or what do you think the old guy is? william allen white... he's in some encyclopedia in EB White's place... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::Crazy 'Joda,' Nicotine, And Her Red Jet Air Balloon::: ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 04:50:52 -0600 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: the whole schools issue / Hello club Message-ID: <19980619.045059.11134.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> >Oh, and I'll be out of town for a few days here, so y'all won't get my >wonderful posts for a while. Stop crying. ditto... but for me it's more like "stop partying" >Jordan's lovely bootleg page (which is so graciously advertised in >each >and every post) is that annoying? i didn't used to (really i didn't...check the archives) but everone else was jumping off the bridge so i figured i might as well go along with it... > "Nobody ever says: 'I wanna be an art >teacher when I grow up.'" heh... when i was a kid my siblings would always say stuff like "a lawyer or a doctor" (not so odd since my dad's a lawyer and my mom's a doctor) but i'd always be saying reeeally random stuff.... "i want to be a DJ" take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::all your tmbg, mono puff, lincoln, cub, brian dewan, and marcy playground needs::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 10:10:03 -0500 (CDT) From: Robin Subject: Re: TMBG: non-tmbg: new york city Message-ID: we are not all homophobic racist hicks. if you think that, go to iowa city... On Thu, 18 Jun 1998, Ben Knowles wrote: > re: new yorkers being mean. > > of course, iowans tend to be homophobic racist hicks. in fact, EVERY LAST > ONE OF THEM IS!! BURN THEM ALL!!! AAAUUGHH!!! > > ben "i'll never post to the list sober again" aka nub > > *%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%* > | | > | "Every jumbled pile of person Ben Knowles - Vassar College | > | has a thinking part that wonders beknowles@vassar.edu | > | what the part that isn't thinking Physics - Astronomy | > | isn't thinking of." - TMBG Photography Editor, Misc. | > | | > *%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%* > > > ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 11:10:20 -0400 From: Destin Berthelot Subject: TMBG: TMBG Visual Discography-Big Update Message-id: <358A7F5C.6E74@rollins.edu> Organization: Rollins College I finally finished scanning and uploading all my stuff from home, so the TMBG Visual Discography is as complete as I can make it. Now I need scans from anybody else out there who has stuff I don't. So if you've never been to the site, or have been before and wanted to see something that was still "coming soon," go check it out! And let me know if you can submit anything! The address is: http://members.xoom.com/theymightbe/ Destin ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19980619082146.0073830c@mailbox.ucdavis.edu> Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 08:21:58 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: NON-TMBG: accents, schools, Mono Puff >California, and Bluegrass country have relatively strong accents. Um... no we don't. Californians, I mean. No doubt you're thinking of SOUTHERN California, who have a... dialect, I guess, what with all the "y'know" and "far out, dude" and "totally". (In the interest of fairness, it's rarely as strong as the "Valley Girl"/"Surfer Dude" stereotype suggests.) I live in the Bay Area, and I can assure you that our speech is, in fact, semi-normal, except for the occasional "like" (we can't help it!). A friend of mine (from IL) says that Californians tend to use the rising inflection a lot and speak very nasally, but I'm not sure if he's right. >No one should say that >our (country's) schools are bad. Because not all of them are. Yes, but the overall caliber isn't that high. I went to an excellent public high school. And yet my myriad relatives in France (my mother is French) had educations that far surpassed mine. They were taking bio, chem, and physics for all four years--I took one at a time. They were taking AT LEAST two (usually three) foreign languages--I took one. My math skills were nowhere near theirs. But the US produces a significant fraction of the technological breakthroughs. Kinda makes one go "hmmm." >Now, on an unrelated note, I can't stop repeating the name S. >Steven Struble to myself. S. Steven Struble. S. Steven Struble. Try it. S. >Steven Struble. S. Steven Struble. Yeah. Thanks a lot, Mike. >Is his wife the one in the car with him where he's wearing the weird >beard? Isn't that shot taken from the DWDTN video? If so, she's more likely to be an actress than his wife... >"Thought that there was love in everything and everyone > You're so naive" > --Belle and Sebastian Is this from that old French animated show about the kid and his dog? I seem to remember snippets of the theme song, although that could just be figments of a tired imagination. --Nicole the "S.Steven Struble" Wonder Nerd *** "Here, I'm going to try it! "--my physics professor, attempting to travel to Jupiter via quantum tunnelling. (It didn't work.) Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn ICQ #11984736 Public PGP key at http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn/key.html ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980619154615.5824.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "shannon schipper" Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Best movie of all time + Hagfish Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 08:46:14 PDT >Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 02:11:15 -0700 (PDT) >From: "J. Brown" >To: mr.train@juno.com >cc: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Best movie of all time + Hagfish >Reply-To: "J. Brown" > > >> Do I have to say it? >> fine... i will >> >> "Swingers" >> there.. the best movie ever made...( also a damn cool soundtrack) I > >Huh what? Swingers is the best movie ever made? Come on! Its a good >movie and its alot of fun but putting that up against great works of Art >like Lawerence of Arabia and Citizen Kane get real! Hell one of my fav >movies of all time is Clockwork Orange and i don't think it belongs in the >top 100. Fuck Swingers would make my top 1000! > > i'm so glad someone finally agrees with me about Swingers!!!!!!!!!!!! i've seen it at least 23 times in the past year and am MADLY obsessed. i can quote the whole damn movie, for cheese's sakes! it was just a great movie, not to mention i'm madly in love with Jon Favreau. and yea, i'm aware of the fact that there are all of those classics out there, but for swing obsessives like myself, it kicks their asses, baby..... love, shannon ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 08:48:38 -0700 (PDT) From: Gary Whitehouse Subject: TMBG: Mono Puff Message-ID: Hi, I'm fairly new to the list, and at the risk of interrupting the discussions of school sports .... :) I'm sure I've missed some discussions of the new Mono Puff. Has anyone posted any reviews of it (by professional or amateur critics)? Or can anyone point me to reviews and other info about it, either in the archives or on the net? Thanks Gary ------------------------------ Subject: Re:TMBG: Finished With Lies Message-ID: <19980619.115520.2279.0.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 11:56:13 EDT I thought the song "Finished With Lies was supposed to be on STD. Where did that go? And does anybody know if the rumors are true about Elektra Records dropping They Might Be Giants? If so, who will be producing their records now? Derek "Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age" _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19980619163520.007d3840@mail-in.keme.net> Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 16:35:20 +0100 From: the famous Uncle Squid Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg (but there is a little They as well): drinking Hi all, OK, I'm going to the pub tonight and I promise that I won't write another drunken mail, which admittedly was a bad idea but it show who my real friends are on the list and who the ones I should ignore are. Thanks to the peep who pointed out the Lincoln thing from the They'll need a crane picture. I hadn't noticed it before... I don't think those little boxes on the table were the FS boxes somehow but I could be wrong. My final point is a bit of an announcement... Jen (Sullenmoon to the listees), I LOVE YOU TOO! Move to the UK and we'll get together for real. (check your mail asap) --Uncle "told off for singing TMBG in a mock american accent" Squid ~THE ELLESLEYS~ (of Colchester-Essex-UK) Home Page: Http://www.keme.co.uk/~thelimes/trendsetting.html TMBG page: Http://members.xoom.com/uncle_squid/Xoom/ <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> "star crossed lovers and cheap pop tricks, you throw enough kisses, one of them must stick, something tells me, I'm not built for this" The Nilon Bombers "I'm not built for this" <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 12:25:59 -0400 Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Best movie of all time Message-ID: <19980619.122702.3246.0.gray42@juno.com> Has everyone forgotten The Never Ending Story and Powder!?!?!?!?! Also, I don't remember if anyone has yet mentioned this, but Labrynth should be ip there too! Mysterio Gal (fellow Subgenius & Happy Mutant) "I DON'T LIKE HAMBURGER, I WANT PEANUTBUTTER, ACTUALLY I HATE PEANUTBUTTER TOO! I JUST WANT HAIR!" -- Claire Monster (fully equipped with extremely loud keyboard and monster voice) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <64901662.358a985e@aol.com> Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 12:57:01 EDT Subject: Re: Re: Non-TMBG: Best movie of all time In a message dated 6/19/98 12:44:23 PM, gray42@juno.com wrote: >Has everyone forgotten The Never Ending Story and Powder!?!?!?!?! Also, >I don't remember if anyone has yet mentioned this, but Labrynth should be >ip there too! did anyone even mention the _breakfast club_??? (sorry if someone did;) i don't remember seeing it ) and okay, actually TMBG related~ i've been getting a kick out of the local tmbg-friendly radio station (http://wber.monroe.edu)'s programming. last night (er, 5 this morning:)), I heard "Ana Ng", followed by the new Insane Clown Posse song , and the night before last, it was Lords of Acid's "Rubber Doll" (a song about a..."inflatable whore" as the lyrics say), acoustic (120 Mins) "Particle Man", then the new Korn (I think) song about incest. poor TMBG...;) sarah http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19980619130837.007ac4a0@email.psu.edu> Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 13:08:37 -0400 From: "J. L. Moquin" Subject: TMBG: Chicken Anybody but me listen to the hidden track on IFTS once and vow never to listen to it again? brr... -jennifer, mommy to alice the bean, 8/15/97 http://www.emprl.psu.edu/~anth/ mailto:jls5@psu.edu "Some women have reported problems using Reality." -- Instructions for the female condom ------------------------------ Message-ID: <358A6F48.59E1CE73@tmbg.org> Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 14:01:47 +0000 From: "Chris \"Feeny\" Campbell" Subject: TMBG:On Cars, In Base Ball?! "Ahoy hoy" said C. Montgomery Burns, I've been in D.C. since sat. anywho, Driving down there (from maine) I saw a little white car with a TMBG coffie cup bumber sticker on it, about 35 miles outside of Baltamore, maybe around 3:30 4:30 on sat. anybody on the list own this car??? I went to a Base Ball game (Baltamore vs. NY, tue.) and there was about a 2 hour rain delay in which they played Birdhouse In Your Soul! WOWWOWWOW! Anyone goto (wen't to) U Maryland? I stayed there (La Plata, the air-conditioned dorm :-) Well BYE for now! -- -Christopher "fEenY" Campbell ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ TMBG SHRINE! Http://www.mix-net.net/~ccampbell E-mail - ccampbell@mix-net.net Or At - feeny@tmbg.org ----"No one understands, No one knows my plan" -John Linnell, ----"A note to myself, do the dumb things I gotta do, touch the puppet head" -John Flansburgh They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 19 Jun 98 14:30 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: the whole schools issue / Hello club >is that annoying? >i didn't used to (really i didn't...check the archives) but everone else >was jumping off the bridge so i figured i might as well go along with >it... Nah, keep it, so that when newbies ask, "What's a bootleg? Where can I get some?" we call all say "ahem" and point at you. :) >heh... when i was a kid my siblings would always say stuff like "a lawyer >or a doctor" (not so odd since my dad's a lawyer and my mom's a doctor) >but i'd always be saying reeeally random stuff.... "i want to be a DJ" Hee hee... I would say things like "a paleontologist" or "a railroad engineer" or "an artist"... Now I REALLY scare my parents by saying things like, "a poet", or "y'know, I've been thinking I might minor in art"... 8) Kirsten -- [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] "And she said losing love is like a window in your heart Everybody sees you're blown apart..." - Paul Simon "Graceland" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 19 Jun 98 14:52 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: accents, schools, Mono Puff >>Now, on an unrelated note, I can't stop repeating the name S. >>Steven Struble to myself. S. Steven Struble. S. Steven Struble. Try it. S. >>Steven Struble. S. Steven Struble. Yeah. > >Thanks a lot, Mike. Hmm.. yes, that is fun to say.. I'm getting prom flashbacks - my date and most excellent friend Patrick kept saying things like, "Press and peel. Press and peel press and peel press and peel.. That's fun to say. Say that." all night long. Actually, we were referring to him as "The Leprechaun" all night because he kept ordering me to do things and I would do them. Kirsten "That's where I first saw the leprechaun. He tells me to burn things.." Brodbeck -- [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] "And she said losing love is like a window in your heart Everybody sees you're blown apart..." - Paul Simon "Graceland" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 19 Jun 98 14:58 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: Re: Non-TMBG: Best movie of all time >>Has everyone forgotten The Never Ending Story and Powder!?!?!?!?! Also, >>I don't remember if anyone has yet mentioned this, but Labrynth should be >>ip there too! Y'know, I'm sorry, but "Powder" has driven me crazy since my friend Teresa pointed out that he's not supposed to have any body hair, yet has these beautiful long, lush eyelashes.. :P But yes, "Labyrinth" should be there, as well as "Pretty In Pink" and "Yellow Submarine." :) Kirsten -- [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] "And she said losing love is like a window in your heart Everybody sees you're blown apart..." - Paul Simon "Graceland" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ From: mjames@khserver.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9806192028.AA21283@khserver.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: perfect Linnell collaboration Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 16:28:15 -0400 (EDT) Hello all, As I was listening to my _Adam & Eve_ CD by Gavin Friday I thought how cool it'd be if Linnell were to team up with Gavin. He likes to use a lot of clarinet and other instruments on his CDs so Linnell would be perfect to step in as a clarinetist for a song or two. Besides, Eric Sanko performs on this album and I think in some, strange, convoluted way TMBG is related to him. Opinions? Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980619211637.006ba234@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 16:16:37 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: accents, schools, Mono Puff >>Now, on an unrelated note, I can't stop repeating the name S. >>Steven Struble to myself. S. Steven Struble. S. Steven Struble. Try it. S. >>Steven Struble. S. Steven Struble. Yeah. > >Thanks a lot, Mike. > Why dost thou thank him. It is not your name. >--Nicole the "S.Steven Struble" Wonder Nerd > You damn theif. Return my name to me ASAP, or I kill you! LDB, who doesn't go by his real name on the internet. -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980619184601.006a5788@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 18:46:01 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Oodles more STD info Also from the TMBG Musings board... -Adam << Even more STD info from Pat Dillett Posted by tdk on Friday, 19 June 1998, at 4:50 p.m. Dr. Worm is a new studio track. Severe Tire Damage and About Me are studio tracks from the same sessions that gave us the "Why Does the Sun Shine" EP. Birdhouse, Ana Ng and She's An Angel are remixed versions of the NYC show. First Kiss, They Got Lost and Particle Man are from the Mercury Lounge at the end of last year (12/18/97). Meet James Ensor is from a hotel room.The rest of the tracks are from the Minnesota sessions, live but in a studio enviornment. Most of the Ape songs were recorded with a single mic at the mixing console by TMBG's sound man. -Mike >> /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980619231226.24937.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Jason F." Subject: Re: TMBG: perfect Linnell collaboration Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 16:12:25 PDT >Besides, Eric >Sanko performs on this album and I think in some, strange, convoluted >way TMBG is related to him. If I'm not mistaken, Eric Sanko sits in on a song or two for Mono Puff on Unsupervised. Plus he plays with Mono Puff's drummer, Steve Calhoon (sp?) in the band Skeleton Key. Kind of like a "6 degrees of They Might Be Giants". You know, like Chris Cornell and TMBG. Chris Cornell played for Soundgarden, Soundgarden appeared on SNL when Jim Carrey hosted, Jim Carrey was in Ace Ventura with Courtney Cox, Courtney Cox went onstage with Bruce Springsteen, Bruce Springsteen played with Max Weinberg, Max Weinberg plays the drums on Conan O'Brien's show, which had TMBG perform. Oh wait that's 7 degrees. But you get the point. --Jason "that was Bruce Springsteen, wasn't it?" Fickley "Hot Cha, where are you? Everybody's eyes are closed." -They Might Be Giants ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Ordering from the Info Club Message-ID: <19980619.191539.8999.0.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 19:16:30 EDT Has anybody ever used the credit slip for two different people when ordering from the TMBG Catalog? I had my own credit slip, and then my friend gave me his because he wasn't going to use it, so I wanted to know if they're going to care that one of these credit slips is not mine. Derek "Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age" _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980619191454.00aac710@csrlink.net> Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 19:14:54 -0400 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: Re: TMBG: POTA At 05:15 PM 6/17/98 EDT, you wrote: >Actually, at a concert I went to recently, Linnell said that the whole >Planet Of The Apes series of songs are going to be hidden tracks stuck in >all over Severe Tire Damage. Depending on how sneaky they're feeling, >yoiu might have to do a bit of searching for them. Actually, I'd been wondering about this, rather seperate of this, but you reminded me of it. My CD player, and many others, often display a few "negative seconds" at the start of each track, and when it hits zero, that's where the sound kicks in. Perhaps this is how a track could be hidden at various parts of the CD... Or perhaps not. Or perhaps Mike Leffel has stolen all the POTA tracks, and is planning on using them, for good or evil, we just don't know. Dylan "How anyone could use the Planet of the Apes tracks for evil, I'll never know" Flipse Dylan Flipse...one of them. - dflipse@csrlink.net Dylan's page is at http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ for now. I'll never see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed -They Might Be Giants, the coolest thing this side of Zaphod Beeblebrox. ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: POTA Message-ID: <19980619.195146.12039.0.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 19:52:52 EDT >Actually, I'd been wondering about this, rather seperate of this, but you >reminded me of it. My CD player, and many others, often display a few >"negative seconds" at the start of each track, and when it hits zero, >that's where the sound kicks in. Perhaps this is how a track could be >hidden at various parts of the CD... Yeah, that's how I got the secret song on Factory Showroom. I held the "Back" search button until it went to a little over negative one minute. I assume they will use this same technique for Severe Tire Damage. Derek "Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age" _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <358AFD19.4B7D8891@home.com> Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 17:06:55 -0700 From: NICHOLAS JANSSEN Organization: @Home Network Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Visual Discography-Big Update HI When I saw on your sit the best of 120 Minutes LIVE it reminded me that I have The CD "never mind the mainstream...The Best Of MTV's 120 Minutes VOL.1" on Rhino Records c1991 Which has TMBG on it. The funny Thing About This being VOL. 1 is that I think there was only one Volume made:) any way here is the set list for the album. 1. Higher Ground - Red Hot Chili Peppers 2. Sometime To Return - Soul Asylum 3. Fools Gold - The Stone Roses 4. Wasteland - The Mission Uk *5. See a little light - Bob Mould 6. Under The Milky Way - The Church *7. Carolyn's Fingers - Cocteau Twins 8. World Shut Your Mouth - Julian Cope 9. Mandinka - SinEad O' Connor 10. Kool Thing - Sonic Youth 11. Balloon Man - Robyn Hitchcock & The Egyptians *12. Put The Message In The Box - World Party 13. Dear God - XTC 14. ANA NG - THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS 15. Eye Of Fatima (PT.1) - Camper Van Beethoven * 16 I Melt With You - Modern English *CD BONUS TRACKS Destin Berthelot wrote: > > I finally finished scanning and uploading all my stuff from home, so > the TMBG Visual Discography is as complete as I can make it. Now I need > scans from anybody else out there who has stuff I don't. So if you've > never been to the site, or have been before and wanted to see something > that was still "coming soon," go check it out! And let me know if you > can submit anything! The address is: > http://members.xoom.com/theymightbe/ > > Destin ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <12f3a723.358afe43@aol.com> Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 20:11:46 EDT Subject: Re: Re: TMBG: TMBG Visual Discography-Big Update In a message dated 6/19/98 8:06:15 PM, nickis@home.com wrote: >HI > >When I saw on your sit the best of 120 Minutes LIVE it reminded me that I have > >The CD > >"never mind the mainstream...The Best Of MTV's 120 Minutes VOL.1" on Rhino > >Records c1991 > >Which has TMBG on it. The funny Thing About This being VOL. 1 is that I think > >there was only one Volume made:) any way here is the set list for the album. > > I've seen a video for this (didn't even know it was a cd too). I don't believe everything was on it, but i know for certain that~ >10. Kool Thing - Sonic Youth and >14. ANA NG - THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS were, because those stuck out to me:) i don't think the xtc one is on it, because that would have stuck out too.. hmm.. (the only reason i didn't buy it is 'cuz i have both SY and TMBG video collection tapes with both of those videos on it.) sarah http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ From: Spoonerism@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 21:40:49 EDT Subject: TMBG and NON-TMBG: Movies and A Mystery > > 8. that movie special on last night- I was so glad they picked Citizen Kane > > as #1. Well, assuming it wouldn't be Star Wars. What does everyone else > > think?>> Well, I would have to say that the movie CLUE is the coolest thing on Earth besides TMBG. It's the only murder mystery that can double as a comedy and also has a cynical satirical side to it. If I could be in any movie of my choice, it would definately be this one (what a cast, too!) Also, I just bought David Byrne's "Uh-Oh" album and I found the cover art (a God-Dog? thing) to be highly amusing. I looked inside, and it said that the cover was painted by Brian Dewan. I knew I had seen this name before, but the only place I could find it was on the "Thanks to" section on IFTS. Anyone know this guy's relation to TMBG? It's killing me! -CAsey ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG and NON-TMBG: Movies and A Mystery Message-ID: <19980619.220959.12143.2.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 22:11:03 EDT >Well, I would have to say that the movie CLUE is the coolest thing on Earth >besides TMBG. It's the only murder mystery that can double as a comedy and >also has a cynical satirical side to it. If I could be in any movie of my >choice, it would definately be this one (what a cast, too!) I must agree, CLUE is one of my favorite movies. It's a Who Dunnit murder mystery with a comical th\wist. What more could you ask for? >Also, I just bought David Byrne's "Uh-Oh" album and I found the cover art (a >God-Dog? thing) to be highly amusing. I looked inside, and it said that the >cover was painted by Brian Dewan. I knew I had seen this name before, but the >only place I could find it was on the "Thanks to" section on IFTS. Anyone >know this guy's relation to TMBG? It's killing me! Well, I've racked my brain, and I just can't figure it out: What is IFTS? Derek "Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age" _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: <4ada8c63.358b28c1@aol.com> Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 23:13:04 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG and NON-TMBG: Movies and A Mystery In a message dated 6/19/98 9:12:13 PM EST, captainmarvel2@juno.com writes: << >Also, I just bought David Byrne's "Uh-Oh" album and I found the cover art (a >God-Dog? thing) to be highly amusing. I looked inside, and it said that the >cover was painted by Brian Dewan. I knew I had seen this name before, but the >only place I could find it was on the "Thanks to" section on IFTS. Anyone >know this guy's relation to TMBG? It's killing me! Well, I've racked my brain, and I just can't figure it out: What is IFTS? >> IFTS = It's Fun to Steal Brian Dewan is a musician/artist and good friend of the Johns (especially Linnell, who wore a Dewan t-shirt on one of TMBG's Conan appearances). He made the podium thingy on the cover of Lincoln and has opened for TMBG on at least several occasions. He plays a zyther (sp?) and is a very gifted storyteller, definitely worth checking out! You can find out more about him on TDK's Dewan tribute page. I don't have the URL handy, but it's accessable from his TMBG page (www.cybercomm.net/~tdk/tmbg.html). Kay ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sat, 20 Jun 98 01:05 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG and NON-TMBG: Movies and A Mystery > >Well, I would have to say that the movie CLUE is the coolest thing on Earth >besides TMBG. It's the only murder mystery that can double as a comedy and >also has a cynical satirical side to it. If I could be in any movie of my >choice, it would definately be this one (what a cast, too!) I LOVE Clue! Tim Curry is a god... And Madeline Kahn, with her incredible line: "I..hated her..so much.. it was like flames, flames on the sides of my face...." :) Kirsten (up too late, having discovered that cocoa mix tastes good in coffee) -- [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] "And she said losing love is like a window in your heart Everybody sees you're blown apart..." - Paul Simon "Graceland" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Sat, 20 Jun 1998 00:49:26 -0400 Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Best movie of all time Message-ID: <19980620.005948.3438.1.gray42@juno.com> On Fri, 19 Jun 98 14:58 EDT kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) writes: > Y'know, I'm sorry, but "Powder" has driven me crazy since my >friend Teresa pointed out that he's not supposed to have any body >hair, >yet has these beautiful long, lush eyelashes.. :P Yes, that whole eyelash thing has bothered me also. But then I think about how unhealthy it must be for the actor's eyes, not to have eyelashes, furthermore, what about the scary process of shaving them off *ouch!* Then again, there's always computer touch ups, but then, that's a lot of touching up to do, for one little area of the body Mysterio Gal (who watched way too much movie magic before finally loosing her cable) "I DON'T LIKE HAMBURGER, I WANT PEANUTBUTTER, ACTUALLY I HATE PEANUTBUTTER TOO! I JUST WANT HAIR!" -- Claire Monster (fully equipped with extremely loud keyboard and monster voice) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 20 Jun 1998 03:27:34 -0400 (EDT) From: 99 & 44/100% MIKe! Subject: TMBG: mono puff Message-ID: To he who asked about how to find out information on John Flansburgh's Mono Puff, you need go no further than the official Mono Puff website, www.monopuff.org - created by the godlike Alex Gershon. I'm proud to also be a contributing writer to the site. Check it out, check it totally out. There's lots to see and do, lots of fun for me and you. At least, I think somebody asked. MIKe - dispensing Playground Justice every week at www.journalx.com Last movie seen on video: Cop Land (widescreen) Last television show viewed: The Larry Sanders Show Last one in: is a rotten egg S. Steven Struble. S. Steven Struble. S. Steven Struble. Life is a quagmire of nothingness without the daily five posts in a row from S. Steven Struble. S. Steven Struble. Help me. S. Steven Struble. S. Steven Struble. ------------------------------ From: Monotreme3@aol.com Message-ID: <43855552.358b6717@aol.com> Date: Sat, 20 Jun 1998 03:39:02 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: non-tmbg: new york city In a message dated 6/19/98 11:11:21 AM Eastern Daylight Time, robin@soli.n.net writes: > we are not all homophobic racist hicks. if you think that, go to iowa > city... Actually... we *are* all homophobic racist hicks! And the sooner we all realize it the sooner we can get those missiles ready to destroy the universe! Of course... no one would ever think to blame the homophobic racist hicks because the evidence will have vanished from the charred and smoking chair of existence! Ha ha ha! Of course... Uncle Allotheria won't feel a thing, 'cause he's already dead. And thank God for that. You're just odd, you know that? You're really just odd. Oh wait... no... that's me. -Carey "Wallpaper Boy, you ate all the money!" ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 20 Jun 1998 11:23:22 EDT Subject: TMBG: Covering TMBG Well, I feel like changing the subject & here is a somewhat related TMBG thing. I played a show with my band yesterday & i spontaneously covered two TMBG songs, Exquisite Dead Guy (in the middle of another song) & Gas Mask (the TMBG adaptation version). I was quite proud of myself jason "covering TMBG" glastetter ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #7-21 *****************************