Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #7-23 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 7, Number 23 Tuesday, 23 June 1998 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: free moxy show!!! Re: TMBG: On the Subject of Hidden Tracks Re: NON-TMBG: Athletics+Hidden Tracks+Zip Code Re: NON-TMBG: Athletics+Hidden Tracks+Zip Code TMBG: non-tmbg: carter usm's last (studio) album Re: TMBG: On the Subject of Hidden Tracks Re: TMBG: Fan Geography TMBG: Tracks, Location and the Free Show Re: TMBG: On the Subject of Hidden Tracks Re: NON-TMBG: accents (i'm still playing catch-up) Re: NON-TMBG: accents, schools, Mono Puff Re: TMBG: Tracks, Location and the Free Show Re: TMBG: Tracks, Location and the Free Show Re: TMBG: Fan Geography TMBG: Lincoln screw-ups and mishaps TMBG: Joshua Fried, that bastard TMBG: Rythm Section Deja Vu Re: TMBG: Joshua Fried, that non-bastard TMBG: non-theye migt bee jiantz: dilbert's spelling problems Re: TMBG: Joshua Fried, that non-bastard TMBG: I love the eggman Re: TMBG: Rythm Section Deja Vu Re: TMBG: Belle and Sebastian / Broken TMBG: Istanbul Dance-Mix Re: TMBG: Belle and Sebastian / Broken Re: TMBG: Hidden Tracks ("X-Files") Re: TMBG: Fan Geography TMBG: Fish Heads TMBG: TMBG Geography Re: TMBG: Joshua Fried, that non-bastard Re: TMBG: Hidden Tracks ("X-Files") TMBG: Nothin' but a bunch of angry ranting Re: TMBG: On the Subject of Hidden Tracks Re: TMBG: On the Subject of Hidden Tracks TMBG: TMBTechno Re: TMBG: TMBG Geography Re: TMBG: On the Subject of Hidden Tracks Re: TMBG: TMBTechno TMBG: Born to be wild? Re: TMBG: I love the eggman!!!! Re: TMBG: TMBTechno Re: TMBG: Fan Geography Re: TMBG: Born to be wild? Re: TMBG: free moxy show!!! Re: TMBG: Born to be wild? Re: TMBG: free moxy show!!! TMBG: Movies Re: TMBG: Movies (was: Born to be wild?) TMBG: monopuff "review" TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #7-22 Re: TMBG: Super Fueled Freaksicle Re: TMBG: Fan Geography Re: TMBG: Fan Geography RE: TMBG: Istanbul Dance-Mix Re: TMBG: On the Subject of Hidden Tracks Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Subject: Re: TMBG: free moxy show!!! Message-ID: <19980621.111559.8999.0.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 11:16:58 EDT In a message dated 98-06-21 01:10:45 EDT, you write: << i, the moxy fruvous virgin, will be graced with a free concert of theirs next friday. they are playing at a nearby festival of the arts completely and totally free of charge >> Hey, where about is this concert? _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980621111841.006a3050@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 11:18:41 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: On the Subject of Hidden Tracks At 11:16 AM 6/21/98 EDT, Derek A Klein wrote: > >Hey, where's this song hidden? Thanks. Behind the first track, just like on Factory Showroom. -Adam /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980621112636.0080ece0@csrlink.net> Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 11:26:36 -0400 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Athletics+Hidden Tracks+Zip Code At 11:46 AM 6/20/98 EDT, you wrote: >Then take the example of anyone in the NBA. >Again, pardon this elitist attitude, but they make too much money. Let's take >a look at Michael Jordan vs. Bill Clinton. Michael Jordan makes several >million more than than Bill & Bill currently has "the most stressful job on >the planet" (maybe I'll look up where this quote is from later, maybe not). Is >it just me or does this seem unfair to anyone else? A silly point. There is no "fairness" scale that determines your salary, nor is there some kind of "worthyness" scale. You make whatever money you can get. In the case of the NBA, TV contracts pull in so much money, that the players can make many millions and everyone comes away smiling. And as for any notions of "College and Athletics" should be seperated, well, let's just hop in the Way-Back Machine and change how things are? Next up, Hidden Tracks. What I was trying to say is, is it possible to have a CD that would play normally, but have a hidden track before track three, for instance, in the same way that Token is hidden before track one on Factory Showroom. And finally, Williamsport, PA. 17701 Dylan "Mike Leffel likes to say 'zip' " Flipse Dylan Flipse...one of them. - dflipse@csrlink.net Dylan's page is at http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ for now. I'll never see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed -They Might Be Giants, the coolest thing this side of Zaphod Beeblebrox. ------------------------------ From: mjames@khserver.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9806211530.AA23179@khserver.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Athletics+Hidden Tracks+Zip Code Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 11:30:37 -0400 (EDT) > Next up, Hidden Tracks. What I was trying to say is, is it possible to have > a CD that would play normally, but have a hidden track before track three, > for instance, in the same way that Token is hidden before track one on > Factory Showroom. > I would think that perhaps this is a possibility. If you have ever watched the time on your CD player while a CD is playing, you might notice that when track 1 ends, the time begins at -0:05 and countsdown until the song starts at 0:01, so perhaps there is a way of extending this negative time to put in a track? -Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19980621113438.007d14c0@mail-in.keme.net> Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 11:34:38 +0100 From: the famous Uncle Squid Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg: carter usm's last (studio) album Hey, Are any of you out there aware of carter the unstoppable sex machine? They are a really cool band who really cannot be defined with a music type. Nothing like TMBG but super-cool. Anyway, I just heard through their bassist, Fruitbat and a nice man at Cooking Vinyl records that "I Blame The Government", carter's last studio album is to be released in the states real soon (around July). I had to mention it on the list because someone from here asked me about it a while ago and I have long since forgotten this person's name. Keep on the look out for it! --USQ The unstoppable advertising machine ~THE ELLESLEYS~ (of Colchester-Essex-UK) Home Page: Http://www.keme.co.uk/~thelimes/trendsetting.html TMBG page: Http://members.xoom.com/uncle_squid/Xoom/ <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> "the north and the south are divided no more, so you and I can be equally poor, and all the things I love you for, won't pay for food and gas" carter the unstoppable sex machine "nowhere fast" <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980621155350.11641.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Jason F." Subject: Re: TMBG: On the Subject of Hidden Tracks Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 08:53:50 PDT There's a hidden song a little bit after the last "real" song on Everclear's So Much For the Afterglow, if anyone isn't aware of it. (or perhaps more fittingly, if anyone else even likes them) --Jason, who must distinguish himself from the oodles of Jasons on this list by adding two dashes in front of his name-- "Hot Cha, where are you? Everybody's eyes are closed." -They Might Be Giants ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980621155659.26351.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Jason F." Subject: Re: TMBG: Fan Geography Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 08:56:58 PDT New Brighton, Pennsylvania, 15066 if that's too obscure you can use Pittsburgh, PA, 15212 --Jason "two-dash" Fickley-- "Hot Cha, where are you? Everybody's eyes are closed." -They Might Be Giants ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: Superman25@aol.com Message-ID: <45fc58c.358d3215@aol.com> Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 12:17:24 EDT Subject: TMBG: Tracks, Location and the Free Show hi. my favorite hidden track has to be the one on the x-files soundtrack. if you scan back six minutes, you'll find this creepy, yet wonderfully relaxing, song by nick cave and a verison of the show's theme done by him. as for the nirvana hidden song, it's called "Thirteen Fifty", which is what the timer says when it starts to play. the misfits also have one on the album american psycho. wait two minutes after the last song and you can hear "Hell Night." as for location on this wonderful world of ours you can find me at: Moorestown New Jeresy 08057 and for anyone going to the free show in atlantic city today, keep an eye out for a guy wearing a yellow Flansburgh-like shirt with a sign on the back that says OMLT on it. that's me. adam schaaf, who's going to get a little poker in before the show. ------------------------------ From: CajunGram@aol.com Message-ID: <8eb03859.358d41a4@aol.com> Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 13:23:47 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: On the Subject of Hidden Tracks In a message dated 98-06-21 03:17:27 EDT, you write: << > on the No Alternative compilation, there is an extra song by Nirvana at the > end, I think it's Verse Chorus Verse... > > Graham No Alternative! What exactly is this? I bought a shirt that says No Alternative and has this guy about to kill himself in several different ways, and he's wearing a sign that says "I'm sorry, I'm so very sorry" or something like that. I just assumed it was a really neat shirt and never thought that maybe it was a cd.... -Carey >> No Alternative was a benifit CD released by the Red Hot Organization to raise money and awareness for AIDS. Here's a tracklist Matthew Sweet-Sperdeformed Buffalo Tom-For All To See Soul Asylum-Sexual Healing American Music Clubb-Take A Walk Goo Goo Dolls-Bitch Pavement-Unseen Power Of The Picket Fence Smashing Pumpkins-Glynis Bob Mould-Can't Fight It Sarah McLachlan-Hold On Soundgarden-Show Me Straitjaekt Fits Barbara Manning-Joed Out The Verlaines-Heavy 33 Uncle Tupelo-Effigy Beastie Boys-It's the New Style (live) The Breeders-Iris Patti Smith-A Memorial Tribute Nirvana-Verse Chorus Verse Graham ------------------------------ From: CajunGram@aol.com Message-ID: <4cfa31c3.358d4597@aol.com> Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 13:40:37 EDT Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: accents (i'm still playing catch-up) In a message dated 98-06-21 11:13:53 EDT, you write: << > I don't generally have a real accent, I don't think, but I pick up other > people's accents and patterns of speech *very* readily. me too! i think the worst accent experience that i ever had was the one night when i saw "the beverly hillbillies", "cool runnings," and kenneth branagh's "much ado about nothing" all in the same night. *shiver*... >> After my friends High School Film Fest, at which we won best Adaptation of an Origional Piece for our brilliant Movie Version of Rocky Raccoon by The Beatles (enough tooting my own horn), we went to Red Robin and we all pretended to have funny accents. I was British, my friend who made the movie was Scottish, another of my friends sounded dead on Russian, and my other friend had a very hispanic accent. The waitress even asked us about where we were all from and we told her we were part of tourist group from Europe, and it was really cool! Then, on a completely unrelated note, se came back to the table with a very odd look on her face and told us she has stepped on a hose they keep in the kitchen to water the outside plants (y'know, the kind with the nozzle guns) and stepped right on the nozzle and squirted water up her skirt, and we looked and she still had some dripping out from her skirt, and when we commented she exclaimed "I'm wet froim the inside out" and as this was very late and we were all very tired, and even more becaseu we had been having a very sexual orientated converstation right before f which that fit oddly in context, my othere friend spilled her water glass all over her skirt, to which the waiter replied "Now we're wet together, so I don't feel so bad" and we replied with even more laughter. Man that was a good time... Graham "I've gone a bit wonky" Amsden ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 10:59:46 -0700 (PDT) From: Nicole Carlson Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: accents, schools, Mono Puff Message-ID: On Fri, 19 Jun 1998, The Li'l Depressed Boy wrote: > >--Nicole the "S.Steven Struble" Wonder Nerd > You damn theif. Return my name to me ASAP, or I kill you! But it's so much fun to say! :) --n twn ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980621181358.006bba98@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 13:13:58 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: Tracks, Location and the Free Show At 12:17 PM 6/21/98 EDT, Superman25@aol.com wrote: >hi. > >my favorite hidden track has to be the one on the x-files soundtrack. >if you scan back six minutes, you'll find this creepy, yet wonderfully >relaxing, song by nick cave and a verison of the show's theme done >by him. as for the nirvana hidden song, it's called "Thirteen Fifty", >which is what the timer says when it starts to play. the misfits also >have one on the album american psycho. wait two minutes after the >last song and you can hear "Hell Night." > Actually Nick Cave did the first secret track, the second one was by the other band that listed 0 as a number in the book. (This is the first X-Files soundtrack) The new one has a guy giving away most of the plot in the extra-long last track style, which I hate for the fact that when I hit random it don't work well. LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980621184946.8850.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: Re: TMBG: Tracks, Location and the Free Show Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 11:49:45 PDT >At 12:17 PM 6/21/98 EDT, Superman25@aol.com wrote: >>my favorite hidden track has to be the one on the x-files soundtrack. Um, are we all talking about the soundtrack for the movie or the one for the show, the one with all the artwork??? I'd like to know befor I spend all day looking for something that's not there. 'Cause I have the show soundtrack. Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com "My Mother, um, what is the phrase... She isn't qu-... quite herself today." --Norman Bates, "Psycho" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <358D8160.7276@fuse.net> Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 14:55:44 -0700 From: jays your one-paged dictionary Organization: dial-a-song! 718-287-6962, narrrrrrrrr! Subject: Re: TMBG: Fan Geography in this day and age, why should i fear for my life? come and get me, stalkers, killers, and bad people alike! florence kentucky 41042 and no, i'm not a hick. i'm in one of the few cosmopolitan areas of kentucky, not very far from cincinnati. here, we drink our beer in wine glasses, half the restaurants require shirts, and dodge pickups earn you a discount at the local nudie bar. peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jay. -- jayhc, hearing the screams that the turning subway made. e-mail: sirjamez@fuse.net, phonebook@tmbg.org aol im: SaturnChrd, PhoneBookJ irc: PhoneBook "and sadly the cross-eyed bear's been put to sleep behind the stairs, and his shoes are laced with irony." --tmbg "Hey, some people take drugs and some people like to have sex all day, I like to watch my bees as I make music, so what." --steve vai -- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980621185809.8312.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: TMBG: Lincoln screw-ups and mishaps Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 11:58:09 PDT Has anyone noticed the the lyric sheet for The Pencil Rain (I think it should be called The Pencil Reign) lists the following lyrics: "can think of a nobler cause", when John actualy sing "can SPEAK of a nobler cause" And what's with the missing lyrics in the lyric sheet for "You'll Miss Me"? I gotta know this stuff!!! Josh Buckland, asking funny questions since 1945. (Not Really) dilbert_2000@hotmail.com "My Mother, um, what is the phrase... She isn't qu-... quite herself today." --Norman Bates, "Psycho" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980621191514.18606.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: TMBG: Joshua Fried, that bastard Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 12:15:14 PDT Who is Joshua Fried, and does he know he destroid one of Their best songs? Shure, the singing part of "The Worl'ds Address Joshua Fried Re-Mix" was okay, but what about all that crappy, monotnous, music??????? I never listened to The World's Address twice on Misc. T. I just skiped it. After that, I got the Lincoln album and I loved it!!! I couldn't believe it was the same song!!! Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com "My Mother, um, what is the phrase... She isn't qu-... quite herself today." --Norman Bates, "Psycho" "To make the Merry-go-round go faster, everyone needs to hold on tight, just to keep from being thrown to the wolves." --They Might Be Giants, "They Might Be Giants" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980621192405.3653.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: TMBG: Rythm Section Deja Vu Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 12:24:04 PDT I'm shure you're familiar with the accordian solo in "Rythm Section Want Ad." If not, go listen to it, then think about my question. Where the hell have I heard that accordian peice???? Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com "My Mother, um, what is the phrase... She isn't qu-... quite herself today." --Norman Bates, "Psycho" "For everyone with dollor-signs in his, there must be hundreds who look at you as if yer some kinda rythm section want ad. No others need aply to the rythm section want ad. And here's the reason why." --Them "Rythm Section Want Ad ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <37e71a4.358d5f66@aol.com> Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 15:30:45 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Joshua Fried, that non-bastard In a message dated 6/21/98 3:16:06 PM, dilbert_2000@hotmail.com wrote: >Who is Joshua Fried, and does he know he destroid one of Their best >songs? Shure, the singing part of "The Worl'ds Address Joshua Fried >Re-Mix" was okay, but what about all that crappy, monotnous, >music??????? I never listened to The World's Address twice on Misc. T. I >just skiped it. After that, I got the Lincoln album and I loved it!!! I >couldn't believe it was the same song!!! well. we're all entitled to our own opionions. however, did you even stop to think that, yes, there are a few of us who *like* it? I happen to love that track. even better than the original. if you want to skip the track, fine. i just don't share your thought of him *destroying* anything. also, you might want to take this into consideration - he's known to lurk around the tmbg newsgroup and such (he's even posted here), and i don't know... i wouldn't want people trashing my stuff like that... but that probably means nothing to anyone. i just thought i'd let you know. In fact I emailed him once to ask if he had his own cd, he was really nice. i don't know why you feel the need to "inform" everyone that you think it's "crappy", but obviously the Johns dig it too or they would never have put it on their cd, eh? sarah linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ From: DrWormX@aol.com Message-ID: <6748dbbf.358d600a@aol.com> Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 15:33:29 EDT Subject: TMBG: non-theye migt bee jiantz: dilbert's spelling problems damn man, you really have to work on your spelling. It's: sure, not shure rhythm, not rythm piece, not peice dollar, not dollor your, not yer apply, not aply plus, you forgot eyes in between "his" and "there" sorry for being so damn critical, I am really tired Matt- critic You're really alive when you wish you were dead. And there isn't a god, or a heaven or hell, life's a little old apple and a William Tell --Blow ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980621153414.006a1b28@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 15:34:14 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Joshua Fried, that non-bastard At 03:30 PM 6/21/98 EDT, KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: > >we're all entitled to our own opionions. however, did you even stop to think >that, yes, there are a few of us who *like* it? I happen to love that track. >even better than the original. I agree. I think the original is rather bland, by comparison. -Adam /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980621194526.24932.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: TMBG: I love the eggman Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 12:45:25 PDT Does anyone know the name of those guys who sang that "Eggman"song on Comedy Central? That song sounded like it was done in the style of TMBG. By the comedy AND the music. Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com "I like to blow them, suck them, throw them, chuck them, run 'em down my legs." --Those two guys who sang the Eggman song, "Eggman" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 15:39:25 -0500 (CDT) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: Rythm Section Deja Vu Message-ID: > I'm shure you're familiar with the accordian solo in "Rythm Section Want > Ad." If not, go listen to it, then think about my question. Where the > hell have I heard that accordian peice???? At the risk of putting my foot in my mouth here, I'll venture a response. I don't have the CD with me, so I can't confirm it, but I believe the accordian part you speak of in "Rhythm Section Want Ad" is lifted from a Raymond Scott song called "Powerhouse" (I believe). In any event, part of RSWA is taken from this song. And we've discussed this on the list before (albeit about a year and a half ago), but if you haven't heard Raymond Scott before, check him out. There's a website about him (http://www.RaymondScott.com) that gives more information than I ever could. One of the strangest, and yet most innovative, jazz composers. Definitely worth a listen. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu np: Neil Finn--Try Whistling This (former Crowded House member) ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 16:05:42 -0500 (CDT) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: Belle and Sebastian / Broken Message-ID: Hey all-- >>"Thought that there was love in everything and everyone >> You're so naive" >> --Belle and Sebastian > > Is this from that old French animated show about the kid and his dog? I > seem to remember snippets of the theme song, although that could just be > figments of a tired imagination. Nicole, you're almost right. There was indeed an animated program called Belle and Sebastian. There is, however, also a band called Belle and Sebastian, a Scottish "twee" band that everyone, I mean EVERYONE, should check out. They're like the Smiths, in that their songs are incredibly poppy and happy-sounding, but the lyrics break your heart. > On NIN Broken, there are 3 hidden songs (97, 98, and 99) > everything from 9 to 96 are blank Actually, with Broken they did two different things. They did indeed throw the three hidden tracks onto the end of the CD...on the later pressings (I believe). With the earliest pressings, they actually just had the EP's regular tracks, and included a 3" CD with it that included the other three songs. I actually bought the CD used, and it was one of the limited edition CD's with the extra CD, but whoever owned the CD before me had taken the small CD...so I've never actually heard those tracks. > When I saw on your sit the best of 120 Minutes LIVE it reminded me that > I have The CD "never mind the mainstream...The Best Of MTV's 120 > Minutes VOL.1" on Rhino Records )1991 Which has TMBG on it. The funny > Thing About This being VOL. 1 is that I think there was only one Volume > made:) any way here is the set list for the album. I clipped the setlist, because I'm sure everyone saw it. This isn't really relevant to the issue at hand, but there actually WAS a second volume of the "Never Mind the Mainstream" compilation from 120 Minutes (both were put out while Dave Kendall hosted...by far the best VJ ever on MTV). The second volume of this compilation had tracks from REM, Ministry, Joy Division, Echo and the Bunnymen, Morrissey, Public Image Ltd., New Order, etc., etc. Good compilation, actually.... Okay...I had intended to send this post last night, but I actually postponed it and forgot about it. so here it is, far after everyone has finished discussing this. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu np: Brian Wilson--Imagination (this CD refuses to leave the CD player) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980621210725.14426.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: TMBG: Istanbul Dance-Mix Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 14:07:24 PDT Can anyone tell me how and where I can find the Istanbul dance-mix? I heard a sample at TMBG Spy, and I liked it. What CD is it on. Who runs TMBG.org? I'd like to discuss the sound files catagory with them. Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com "My Mother, um, what is the phrase... She isn't qu-... quite herself today." --Norman Bates, "Psycho" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19980621221204.007bf100@mail-in.keme.net> Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 22:12:04 +0100 From: the famous Uncle Squid Subject: Re: TMBG: Belle and Sebastian / Broken At 16:05 21/06/98 -0500, you wrote: >Hey all-- > >>>"Thought that there was love in everything and everyone >>> You're so naive" >>> --Belle and Sebastian >> >> Is this from that old French animated show about the kid and his dog? I >> seem to remember snippets of the theme song, although that could just be >> figments of a tired imagination. > >Nicole, you're almost right. There was indeed an animated program called >Belle and Sebastian. There is, however, also a band called Belle and >Sebastian, a Scottish "twee" band that everyone, I mean EVERYONE, should >check out. They're like the Smiths, in that their songs are incredibly >poppy and happy-sounding, but the lyrics break your heart. > Yup, I'll agree here, I've heard a bit of Belle and Sebastian and they are cool. They've also been comapred with carter usm (by the NME) but I don't see it. In case you were wondering, I used to watch the cartoon as a little squid. Belle had the pinkest lips EVER! --USQ ~THE ELLESLEYS~ (of Colchester-Essex-UK) Home Page: Http://www.keme.co.uk/~thelimes/trendsetting.html TMBG page: Http://members.xoom.com/uncle_squid/Xoom/ <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> "the north and the south are divided no more, so you and I can be equally poor, and all the things I love you for, won't pay for food and gas" carter the unstoppable sex machine "nowhere fast" <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 16:28:17 -0500 (CDT) From: "Christopher M. Stangl" Subject: Re: TMBG: Hidden Tracks ("X-Files") Message-ID: On Sun, 21 Jun 1998, The Li'l Depressed Boy wrote: > Actually Nick Cave did the first secret track, the second one was by the > other band that listed 0 as a number in the book. (This is the first > X-Files soundtrack) No, that's Nick Cave doing the hidden tracks on "Songs in the Key of X". It's just that it's Nick Cave and the Dirty Three instead of Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, his usual band. > The new one has a guy giving away most of the plot in the extra-long > last track style, Not really. The "The X Files" (the movie soundtrack album) "guy" is series creator, surferboy Chris Carter, and he pretty much just gives a summary overview of the Consortium. There's precious little new information in the hidden track to people who have followed the series closely. A few new hints are dropped (that Strugholdt all but leads the Syndicate), but "X-planation at 10:13" will not spoil anything for anybody familiar with "The X-Files"... and certainly doesn't "give away most of the plot" of the movie... if any of the plot at all! For the record: to the best of my knowledge there are no hidden tracks on either the Mark Snow albums of the movie score or the "The Truth and the Light" (teevee score) have hidden tracks. -Chris Stangl ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199806212214.RAA07132@cs.utexas.edu> Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 17:14:12 -0500 From: ska-ti-da Subject: Re: TMBG: Fan Geography city: austin state: texas zip 78741 rabidchild paul swan ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 15:25:24 -0700 (PDT) From: Alon Yaari Subject: TMBG: Fish Heads Message-ID: Just a point of info for those who have seen the video recently... that IS Bill Paxton you see in that video... -The Yar ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 15:36:51 -0700 (PDT) From: Alon Yaari Subject: TMBG: TMBG Geography Message-ID: A request to TMBG fans who read this list! I am requesting the geographical location of all people who read this list, this means YOU if you can read this. Just the following info: City State Zip Code If you are away for school, send me the info for your home and your school. If you're from outside the US, then supply me with some way of locating you on a map. Besides enjoying just mapping things, I'm somewhat interested in the geographical spread of TMBG fans. My hypothesis going into this is that the map will cluster about New York city, but it's too early to tell yet. If you have not sent it in, please do! I will repost this message occasionally until I get enough respondents... -The Yar Geographer ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980621232139.006b87bc@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 18:21:39 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: Joshua Fried, that non-bastard I agree, I love the Worlds address remix. Alot of us are into that silly sort of thing. That is all. Now go back to your small insignificant lives. LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980621232745.006bfea8@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 18:27:45 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: Hidden Tracks ("X-Files") >> The new one has a guy giving away most of the plot in the extra-long >> last track style, > > Not really. The "The X Files" (the movie soundtrack album) "guy" >is series creator, surferboy Chris Carter, and he pretty much just gives a >summary overview of the Consortium. There's precious little new >information in the hidden track to people who have followed the series >closely. A few new hints are dropped (that Strugholdt all but leads the >Syndicate), but "X-planation at 10:13" will not spoil anything for anybody >familiar with "The X-Files"... and certainly doesn't "give away most of >the plot" of the movie... if any of the plot at all! > Actually it gave away most of the plot to those of us who don't watch the TV like Mad. Some of us can't bear that show, week after week. And the plot of the movie is very inconsiquintial if you ask me. I had the ending pinned by the third or fourth scene. Oh and the part of the film when they started showing the slides from the start, I believe, was trite as hell. LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 19:33:52 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Nothin' but a bunch of angry ranting Message-ID: <19980621.193453.3350.0.gray42@juno.com> God Friggen Damn !!! :( Lousy farkin' CDWarehouse gave away my copy of IFTS to someone, the one they were meant to hold for me. They didn't even call me up and tell me that they got it in like they said they would. I'm One Of Their Best Damn Customers! For weeks, every weekend I'd go in and ask them about it, I even filled out an order slip. Only one weekend (last weekend) I couldn't make it. And that just had to be the weekend the guy got it, and he just had top break his promise, and sell the damn thing! WHAT THE HELL IS THIS WORLD COMMIN TO!!! Thanx fer lettin' me cool off, I just feel so.... so.... deceived *sniff* Mysterio Gal (@#$%!?@# CD Warehouse) "I DON'T LIKE HAMBURGER, I WANT PEANUTBUTTER, ACTUALLY I HATE PEANUTBUTTER TOO! I JUST WANT HAIR!" -- Claire Monster (fully equipped with extremely loud keyboard and monster voice) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sun, 21 Jun 98 20:20 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: On the Subject of Hidden Tracks >On Ben Folds Five Whatever And Ever Amen, if you let it go aways after >Evaporated, you hear somebody come on and say "Ben Folds is fuckin' asshole!" >and then a whole bunch of crowd applause and cheering. OHMIGOD! I didn't know that!! (Kirsten runs frantically to get her cd) heee hee.. neat. :) Other bands that have done this type of thing: Moist did, on Silver; Sarah McLachlan did, on Fumbling Towards Ecstasy (it's an alternate take of "Possession." very neat). Oh, and my personal fave: The Muffs, on Happy Birthday To Me. There's a very, very long pause, and then you hear the drummer and the bassist just goofing off on their instruments, then Kim (at least, i assume it's kim) comes in doing trumpet sounds.. This goes on for a few minutes, then it winds up and you hear Kim announce "New jazz, ladies and gentlemen! This is new jazz!" It's cute. :) Oh, and I think at least one of cub's albums has one of these tracks, too. Kirsten -- [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] "And she said losing love is like a window in your heart Everybody sees you're blown apart..." - Paul Simon "Graceland" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sun, 21 Jun 98 20:23 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: On the Subject of Hidden Tracks the >absolute best hidden track is at the end of Man... or Astroman?'s >DESTROY ALL ASTROMEN!. after 5 minutes of silence following the last >song you hear a hick-sounding voice say: "Boy, whatchu waitin around >for? There ain't no mystery track on this dern CD!" LOL! I love that! It sounds like something Wally Pleasant would do... Kirsten ("I hope nobody didn't buy this cd to get mellow tonight! I say, I say, I hope nobody din't buy this cd to get mellow tonight! If you bought this cd to get mellow tonight, well, get the HECK out of here!") -- [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] "And she said losing love is like a window in your heart Everybody sees you're blown apart..." - Paul Simon "Graceland" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 19:57:40 -0400 Subject: TMBG: TMBTechno Message-ID: <19980621.201616.3350.1.gray42@juno.com> Gee, I was thinkin', as I listened to my techno music, of TMBG (imagine that). I was thinking about all the mini songs in the song Fingertips, and since techno usually consists of the some small phrase, played over and over again, and experimented with. I thought gee, with a little remixing, and a little experimentation, and a lot of repeating, those little mini songs would make some terrific techno songs. :) A whole TMBG techno album. Ha! Mysterio Gal (temporary techno freak) "I DON'T LIKE HAMBURGER, I WANT PEANUTBUTTER, ACTUALLY I HATE PEANUTBUTTER TOO! I JUST WANT HAIR!" -- Claire Monster (fully equipped with extremely loud keyboard and monster voice) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Drayco@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 20:43:54 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Geography Home: South Orange New Jersey 07079 School: Grinnell Iowa 50112 --Jamal ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 19:41:00 -0500 (CDT) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: On the Subject of Hidden Tracks Message-ID: > ("I hope nobody didn't buy this cd to get mellow tonight! I say, I say, I > hope nobody din't buy this cd to get mellow tonight! If you bought this > cd to get mellow tonight, well, get the HECK out of here!") "Squirrels! Yum....kill 'em" Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu np: Grant Lee Buffalo--Jubilee ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <7cb23e3c.358da9f2@aol.com> Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 20:48:49 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBTechno In a message dated 6/21/98 8:34:06 PM, gray42@juno.com wrote: >Gee, I was thinkin', as I listened to my techno music, of TMBG (imagine >that). I was thinking about all the mini songs in the song Fingertips, >and since techno usually consists of the some small phrase, played over >and over again, and experimented with. I thought gee, with a little >remixing, and a little experimentation, and a lot of repeating, those >little mini songs would make some terrific techno songs. :) A whole TMBG >techno album. Ha! Woah.. that is a reallyreally cool idea.. *someone* here *must* have that capability..? sarah:) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980621210120.0069785c@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 21:01:20 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Born to be wild? I was flipping through the channels, and I came across the credits to "Born To Be Wild", some Disney movie on ABC. What did I see but Sleeping In The Flowers credited, with those 2 beautiful last names Linnell and Flansburgh! I don't remember seeing that name come up in the usual soundtrack threads. I sincerely hope this won't lead to another "what other movies have had TMBG songs" thread... ;) Well, that's it for now. -Adam /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980621202255.006b2b04@pop.indy.net> Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 20:22:55 -0400 From: rachel Subject: Re: TMBG: I love the eggman!!!! josh wrote: >Does anyone know the name of those guys who sang that "Eggman"song on >Comedy Central? That song sounded like it was done in the style of TMBG. >By the comedy AND the music. > aaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!! i that song fucking ruled! i'm pretty sure they said it was by "y'all" but not exzactly sure. i went everywhere looking for it yesterday but to no avail. if anyone finds it could you please let me know where. ;) meow, rachel art work can now be found at: http://www.geocities.com/soho/museum/5039 enjoy! ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 21:30:34 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBTechno Message-ID: <19980621.213549.3350.0.gray42@juno.com> On Sun, 21 Jun 1998 20:48:49 EDT KdsInThHal@aol.com writes: > >Woah.. that is a reallyreally cool idea.. *someone* here *must* >have that >capability..? I'd do it myself, but my sound recorder and speakers seem to be mafunctioning at the moment :} Mysterio Gal (fellow Subgenius & Happy Mutant) "ME NO LIKE HAMBURGER, ME WANT PEANUTBUTTER, ACTUALLY ME HATE PEANUTBUTTER TOO! ME JUST WANT HAIR!" -- Claire Monster (fully equipped with extremely loud keyboard and monster voice) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 > >sarah:) > _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Strawbos69@aol.com Message-ID: <81cf5a2b.358dba8d@aol.com> Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 21:59:40 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Fan Geography In a message dated 20/06/98 At 15:31 -0700, you wrote: >Just a simple survey out of sheer curiosity. Where are YOU located? I'm >interested basically in these three pieces of info: Seattle WA 98125 -TMBG's Ambassador to the State of Insanity ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Born to be wild? Message-ID: <19980621.215818.2279.0.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 21:59:13 EDT >I was flipping through the channels, and I came across the credits to "Born To Be >Wild", some Disney movie on ABC. What did I see but Sleeping In The Flowers >credited, with those 2 beautiful last names Linnell and Flansburgh! I don't >remember seeing that name come up in the usual soundtrack threads. I sincerely >hope this won't lead to another "what other movies have had TMBG songs" thread... Well, I haven't been in this list long enough to see a "what other movies have had TMBG songs" thread, so I sauy let's get one goin'! I'll start it off: 1)Born To Be Wild - Sleeping In the Flowers 2)Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie - Sensurround Anyone have some more? Derek "Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age" _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: free moxy show!!! Message-ID: <19980621.220233.11895.0.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 22:03:31 EDT << i, the moxy fruvous virgin, will be graced with a free concert of theirs next friday. they are playing at a nearby festival of the arts completely and totally free of charge >> Okay, let's start simple: What state? What city? Thanks. Derek "Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age" _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 23:36:40 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Born to be wild? Message-ID: <19980621.233659.3350.2.gray42@juno.com> On Sun, 21 Jun 1998 21:59:13 EDT captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) writes: > >Well, I haven't been in this list long enough to see a "what other >movies have had TMBG songs" thread, so I sauy let's get one goin'! >I'll start it off: > >1)Born To Be Wild - Sleeping In the Flowers >2)Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie - Sensurround > >Anyone have some more? Don't forget: Brain Candy: Spiraling Shape Mysterio Gal (fellow Subgenius & Happy Mutant) "ME NO LIKE HAMBURGER, ME WANT PEANUTBUTTER, ACTUALLY ME HATE PEANUTBUTTER TOO! ME JUST WANT HAIR!" -- Claire Monster (fully equipped with extremely loud keyboard and monster voice) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 >Derek >"Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age" >_____________________________________________________________________ >You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get >completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno >at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 23:59:00 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: free moxy show!!! the show is in Columbia, MD at some festival... it's at 9pm, and there are probably some deatils at www.fruvous.com. I'll be there, and, to make it easy for people to identify me, I'll be wearing one of my many TMBG shirts (probably the Hayseed Johns, since my accordion/guitar Severe Tire Damage one is dirty) hope to see lots of people there (and if a whole group of people can talk to them afterwards and we're *all* wearing TMBG shirts... hehe :) Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Everything sticks until it goes away, * This space inadvertently And the truth is we don't know anything." -TMBG * left blank. ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 23:43:58 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Movies Message-ID: <19980621.234417.3350.3.gray42@juno.com> Oh Yeah, I forgot about one more, I don't know if this counts but: In the movie "Fear", Jessica was playing on the girls radio, it sounded exactly like the TMBG version, but I'm not sure. Mysterio Gal (who did not watch the movie "Fear" voluntarily) "ME NO LIKE HAMBURGER, ME WANT PEANUTBUTTER, ACTUALLY ME HATE PEANUTBUTTER TOO! ME JUST WANT HAIR!" -- Claire Monster (fully equipped with extremely loud keyboard and monster voice) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199806220448.AAA27309@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 23:48:27 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: Movies (was: Born to be wild?) >Well, I haven't been in this list long enough to see a "what other movies >have had TMBG songs" thread, so I sauy let's get one goin'! I'll start it >off: > >1)Born To Be Wild - Sleeping In the Flowers >2)Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie - Sensurround > >Anyone have some more? There is, of course, "Ed and His Dead Mother" starring the amazing Steve Buscemi, featuring "Everything Right Is Wrong Again" Harf, Mitch ------------------------------ Message-Id: <9806220500.AA17394@willis.williams.edu> Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 01:05:53 +0100 From: beknowles@vaxsar.vassar.edu (Ben Knowles) Subject: TMBG: monopuff "review" for the person that wanted to know more about "it's fun to steal": well, i randomly found IFTS at rhino records yesterday, so i thought "what the hell" and bought it. i was not disappointed. this is some good shit right here. never have i heard such compelling flansburgh melodies - i've found his most recent tmbg stuff (ie. pet name, spy) to be a little... lacking. but this makes up for it. hal craigin is a god among funkmeisters, and lays down the phattest basslines ever. and with lyrics like "not only, but especially for the ladies!" how can you go wrong? to tell you the truth, i've only had time to listen to it twice. but i think i liked purt-near every track. okay, so you want specifics. the problem is that it's sort of indescribable. not really tmbg-y, but definately flansburgh-y. quirky instrumentation, some funky beats thrown in here and there, some DJ action, retro-sounding organ riffs, some nice guitar work, plenty of humor. very, very eclectic. each song has an entirely different style to it, though it's all tied together with a certain... something. funk i guess. it's just really good. buy it, if you can find it anywhere (good luck). question: who has seen monopuff perform live? what's their live show like? is it just the three main dudes, or is the whole "monopuff syndicate of sound" there? do they use a DJ? and what is flansburgh like - does he seem like the same flansurgh we all know and love from tmbg shows? ben "let's all post our high school GPAs to the list because that makes us cool" aka nub *%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%* | | | "Every jumbled pile of person Ben Knowles - Vassar College | | has a thinking part that wonders beknowles@vassar.edu | | what the part that isn't thinking Physics - Astronomy | | isn't thinking of." - TMBG Photography Editor, Misc. | | | *%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%*=--=*%@%* ------------------------------ Message-ID: <358E0603.590849CA@garnet.acns.fsu.edu> Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 03:21:41 -0400 From: Emmanuel Donio Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #7-22 I know noone cares. I don't even care. I'm really really bored. Is that Barnes and Barnes album any good? Anyone who can go from "Lost in Space" to "Fish Heads" has to have some credence to him, I would imagine. In regards to hidden tracks, I can think of: (1) Barenaked Ladies' "Rock Spectacle: Not really a hidden track as it is advertised in the album, but it is a good deal after the last track. (2) Blind Melon's "Soup": As with Factory Showroom and IFTS, this track is before the first track. I know not who came up with this hidden track method, but the Melons at least have the Giants beat. (3) Ben Folds Five's "Whatever and Ever Amen": As mentioned, the short self-deprecating humor at the way end of the album. (4) The Lemonheads' "Come On Feel": A few short songs spaced minutes apart following the last track. (5) Mr. Bungle's "Disco Volante": Ingeniously after the third track. (6) Green Day's "Dookie": Of course at the way way end. (7) TMBG and Mono Puff: Cool idea of course to begin before it begins, but the whole secret track nonsense fucks with my CD player. I'm sorry. Did I just curse? You see how frustrated this whole "hidden track" thing makes me. These recording artists always have to be sooooo clever, don't they? Anyway, so as to participate in a survey (this has nothing to do with the government, does it?), I live here: Tallahassee, FL 32304 And I'm from here: North Miami Beach, FL 33179 This is a long post, I know, I can't help it. It's after 3 in the morning and my mind is racing. All the best thinking is wasted at night. I have difficulty remembering what topics have recently been covered on this list. I think I can fairly say that I'm sick of hearing about Mike Leffel, whoever the hell that is. I can also recall a topic dealing with alcohol and drugs. The people who tell you to do drugs (including booze) are ignorant. The people who tell you NEVER to do them are also ignorant. The backlash against the guy who posted drunk was a little too severe, however if you're drunk and all you can find to do is post to this rinky-dink list, then you must be SOME sort of loser. For the record, I drink occasionally, but I smoke weed all the damn time. After the Summer I will have graduated FSU cum laude. So much for the ills of smoking. Actually I'll amend that, my lungs must in fact be dark dark brown by now. Peace be with you all. Manny ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 06:27:08 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Woodward Subject: Re: TMBG: Super Fueled Freaksicle Message-id: On Sat, 20 Jun 1998, Derek A Klein wrote: > Does anyone know when Super Fueled Freaksicle is supposed to come out? I > heard that it had been recorded, but that was last year, and that was the > last I heard of it. Does anybody know anything else? Heh, that's all TMBG needs.. another album of regurgitation. * ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Josh Woodward, CheEsy Fru. joshw@mail.bgsu.edu Web Site and Tape List: http://www.dc-adnet.com/joshw/ "Sad girl, maybe you've got every reason in this mad world." - Moxy Fruvous ------------------------------ From: Coffeesgrl@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 07:01:50 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Fan Geography In a message dated 98-06-20 18:31:25 EDT, you write: << Just a simple survey out of sheer curiosity. Where are YOU located? I'm interested basically in these three pieces of info: city state zip code For example, I live in: Hollywood, CA, 90004. If you are worried about privacy, give me a nearby zipcode. I'm targeting this at active people on the list and you lurkers (people who read this list but never post to it). >> hmmmmm....lurker, thats me.. city: Mohrsville state: Pa zip code: 19541 ~alison ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.16.19980622154958.3797a360@popmail.server.uni-frankfurt.de> Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 15:49:58 +0200 From: Thorsten Beck Subject: Re: TMBG: Fan Geography Hi! city: Frankfurt/Main state: Hessen (Germany) zip code: 60386 ~Tosde~ ------------------------------ From: "Lee" Subject: RE: TMBG: Istanbul Dance-Mix Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 09:49:40 -0400 Message-ID: <000301bd9de5$5ef49200$5e4a4ccf@lees> You will find the Istanbul dance-mix on the CD single for Istanbul NOt Constantinople. BTW this is still available at a few of the web CD sources if you search hard enough. Good Luck! -Lee ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 14:31:51 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: On the Subject of Hidden Tracks Has no-one set up a web site to list hidden tracks? Richard (who really is very close to signing up for internet access when he can find the time and energy, and will then be plaguing some of you about whether these free EMails offers I see at the bottom of some of your messages are worth looking into!) ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #7-23 *****************************