Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #7-27 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 7, Number 27 Saturday, 27 June 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: Shows Re: TMBG: Re:\South Park/Dr. Katz/Conan O'Brien NON TMBG: Art, Puff Daddy, Social Studies Re: TMBG: funky instruments Re: TMBG: funky instruments TMBG: Fan Geography Re: TMBG: funky instruments Re: TMBG: daily show--hdg NON-TMBG: Harry The Handsome Executive Re: TMBG: funky instruments Re: TMBG: Fan Geography Re: NON-TMBG: "art" Re: TMBG: tmbg: techno? TMBG: the world's address TMBG: Re: TMBG Geography Re: TMBG: theremin / Berkeley Re: TMBG: the world's address Re: NON-TMBG:Dilbert2000 and this list (no hard feelings) Re: NON-TMBG:Dilbert2000 and this list (no hard feelings) Re: TMBG: the world's address Re: NON-TMBG:Dilbert2000 and this list (no hard feelings) TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #7-23 Re: NON-TMBG:Dilbert2000 and this list (no hard feeling Re: NON-TMBG:Dilbert2000 and this list (no hard feelings) SEMI-TMBG: In Defense Of Puff Daddy Re: NON-TMBG:Dilbert2000 and this list (no hard feelings) Re: NON-TMBG: "art" (incredibly long, drawn out and boring) Re: SEMI-TMBG: In Defense Of Puff Daddy Re: NON-TMBG:Dilbert2000 and this list (HARD FEELINGS) Re: TMBG: the world's address TMBG: Viva Variety Re: SEMI-TMBG: In Defense Of Puff Daddy TMBG: live performances Re: non-TMBG: Conan O'Brien Re: TMBG: the world's address Re: SEMI-TMBG: In Defense Of Puff Daddy TMBG: Ralph and Kathy's Musical debut! (Re: Hidden Track) NON-TMBG: Norman Bates Re: TMBG: daily show--hdg TMBG: MonoPuff:The Post Card... Re: TMBG:lotsa good shtuff Re: TMBG: MonoPuff:The Post Card... Re: TMBG: TMBG Geography TMBG: Severe Tire Damage Hidden Tracks Re: SEMI-TMBG: In Defense Of Puff Daddy Re: TMBG: live performances Re: NON-TMBG: Harry The Handsome Executive Re: SEMI-TMBG: In Defense Of Puff Daddy Re: TMBG: daily show--hdg TMBG: This List! Re: TMBG: Resident Evil/Dead Alive Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Superman25@aol.com Message-ID: <8accb9ee.35914e40@aol.com> Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 15:06:39 EDT Subject: TMBG: Shows hi. did anyone see the atlantic city show? when i got there, security had closed the doors and weren't letting anyone else in. after that, i went and gambled away the money i was going to use to buy a t-shirt. adam schaaf, who's gotta stop betting on red 26. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19980624145359.0080b880@email.psu.edu> Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 14:53:59 -0400 From: "J. L. Moquin" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re:\South Park/Dr. Katz/Conan O'Brien KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: > >I love dr. katz. I only wish they'd keep cranking out new episodes.. I know >almost all of them by heart now.. Hey, the new season of Dr. Katz started this week!! Tons of exciting guest stars, including David Duchovny!! :9 Trying to create a convergence of all my e-mail lists by starting a DD thread on each one... -jennifer, mommy to alice the bean, 8/15/97 http://www.emprl.psu.edu/~anth/ mailto:jls5@psu.edu "My motto, as I live and learn, Is dig and be dug in return" -- Langston Hughes ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot@aol.com Message-ID: <1b2c90b8.3591588b@aol.com> Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 15:50:34 EDT Subject: NON TMBG: Art, Puff Daddy, Social Studies I once had social studies teachers (who taught us American Art, nonetheless) that shrugged off almost all music as not being art. I was rather disgusted. Ok, I'll change that: Beethoven was art, Brahams was art . . . Kurt Cobain was not, They Might Be Giants was not, etc. etc. Just some stories about how annoying these teachers were: I had a discussion with one of them about my Kurt Cobain shirt. The teacher said they dissapproved of Cobain & they hated his music because of his lifestyle (more specifically, the fact that he killed himself). I told him that I did not approve of Cobain's choices either, but I could separate the man from his music (I know many of you may argue about the artist nature of Cobain, but that's actually irrelevent). We then sat down in class & the teacher talked about what a great artist Van Gogh was (hmmm . . . I wonder how his life ended). Another time we were going on a field trip to an art museum. Those teachers told us not to bring our walkmans because they showed immaturity & lack of respect for art. Hmmm . . . don't walkmans play music? Isn't music art? I guess not. Ok, now that I've ranted about teachers I hate, it's time to talk about Puff Daddy. First of all, most of Puff Daddy's stuff I hate, however, I do not hate ALL of it. My opinion, however, when it comes to art is irrelevent. I may not like realism, but it is still art & I will confess that it is. Same with Puff Daddy. He makes art. Even if an artist has minimal talent in the genre of art that they do, it is still art. Remixing: Personally, I sample & I remix. It's not as easy as one may think. Looping is a pain in the ass, especially when you have several different loops. Think about it, if one is not in rhythm with the others, it can not be used (I encountered this problem when doing the "Fingertips Techo" as someone suggested) or at least not be used without altering it in some way to make it sound good. If someone wants to loop two drum beat while keeping the same tempo they have to sample one of them at a different frequency to make it longer or shorter or cut it, but cutting does not sound good unless done at certain points. Maybe when people do all this stuff professionally, there is more equipment to make it easier, but if you've never remixed yourself, you will just have to trust me that it is harder than it seems. jason "the remixer" glastetter http://www.poingly.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 12:56:03 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: funky instruments Message-ID: I'd say they need either an obo, or a mandolin ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 15:00:10 -0500 (CDT) From: Kim Justice Subject: Re: TMBG: funky instruments Message-ID: On Wed, 24 Jun 1998, leonard helfgott wrote: > I'd say they need either an obo, or a mandolin How about a dumbek and a krummhorn? kj [Cruel Disclaimer: Not everyone on the list agrees with me.] -- justicek@edge.net (Kim Justice) http://edge.edge.net/~justicek All claws for now withdrawn. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980624204056.9551.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Klara Fizer" Subject: TMBG: Fan Geography Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 13:40:56 PDT Berkeley California 94721 I've yet to see anyone else from here on this list, though... ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <359195B8.45D6@fuse.net> Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 17:11:36 -0700 From: jays your one-paged dictionary Organization: dial-a-song! 718-287-6962, narrrrrrrrr! Subject: Re: TMBG: funky instruments Kim Justice wrote: > > How about a dumbek and a krummhorn? > kj > forgive my contribution to this useless thread--however, i'd love to see They covers with the following setup: christopher parkening on classical guitar bootsy collins on bass steve vai on lead guitar carter beauford on drums luciano povarotti on vocals tori amos on keys the entire boston philharmonic horn section. that would kick entirely too much ass. ;) peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jay. -- jayhc, a musician without a cause. e-mail: sirjamez@fuse.net, phonebook@tmbg.org aol im: SaturnChrd, PhoneBookJ irc: PhoneBook "and sadly the cross-eyed bear's been put to sleep behind the stairs, and his shoes are laced with irony." --tmbg "Hey, some people take drugs and some people like to have sex all day, I like to watch my bees as I make music, so what." --steve vai -- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 16:28:14 -0500 (CDT) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: daily show--hdg Message-ID: > >All right...time for me to show my obsession with another musician! I > >know this isn't really relevant to the above clip, but anyway....the Daily > >Show theme is actually written and performed by Bob Mould...formerly of > >Husker Du and Sugar (and has another solo album coming out in august!). > >The song's called "Dog on Fire"....odd thought here. I wonder if Flans > >used "Dog on Fire" as an inspiration for "Hillbilly Drummer Girl"? > >Ah...imagine.... > > I suspect not, since it is a cover. It was originally by the Young Fresh > Fellows, I believe. Oops. My mistake. Odd....most times people on this list would MENTION the fact that HDG is a cover....come on, guys, I expect you to tell me these things!! Oh, and two other things...first, I'm kidding. And second, this list is slowly getting back to the stage where I left it over a year ago. Cut the immature crap out, folks. Please? Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu personnel@kwur.wustl.edu np: Lycia--Estrella (anyone noticed my psychotic musical tastes lately?) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 15:32:49 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: NON-TMBG: Harry The Handsome Executive Message-ID: On Wed, 24 Jun 1998, Ben Spees wrote: > Harry Kicks! http://www.handsomeharry.com indeed it does! i recently encountered harry on one of the servers here at the university of utah (unregistered, unfortunately)... i plan on downloading it and registering it in the near future. thanks for putting out such a high-quality game! --jim kuemmerle, who was surprised to see your name here. it's just one of those weird convergence feelings like you get at the end of a thomas pynchon novel.... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 16:04:31 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: funky instruments Message-ID: On Wed, 24 Jun 1998, Kim Justice wrote: > On Wed, 24 Jun 1998, leonard helfgott wrote: > > I'd say they need either an obo, or a mandolin > > How about a dumbek and a krummhorn? how about a dumbek and a gaida? --jim kuemmerle, who's trying to learn how to play the gaida with *very* limited success to date... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 16:07:15 -0600 (MDT) From: Scot Westwood Subject: Re: TMBG: Fan Geography Message-ID: Ok I've been watching for about a week and with all this fan geography I just have ask, Is there is anyone else from Utah on this list. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 16:10:18 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: "art" Message-ID: On Tue, 23 Jun 1998, rachel wrote: > ...art is kind of utopian, that is, anything created with no personal > gain in mind; anything created simply because you have to. i tend to > call my creations "obsessive projects" because i often work with one > subject matter and medium for a long period of time. BUT anyways... if > you go by that definition then nothing is art because even if you do it > for yourself you are gaining from it in some way. unless, of course, > creating is torture for you, then i would say it would definetly fall > under the category of "art." i just hate saying that "everything is > art," or trying to decide what is, so i would rather make it easier on > myself and say that _nothing_ is. i'm afraid i have to take some issue with that: if you are doing it for yourself, then, yeah, you're gaining from it, but (1) you're not in it for the money, food, shelter, or sex. (well, okay, maybe you're still in it for the sex...) and (2) i would really hate to think that the only art is stuff you don't enjoy doing. because then you'd *have* to be in it for the money etc. either that or you'd have to be a masochist. --jim kuemmerle, who's got some more to say on this subject as soon as i can find the quote i'm looking for... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 16:21:30 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg: techno? Message-ID: On Tue, 23 Jun 1998, Ben Knowles wrote: > on a different subject, has anyone ever had any kind of profound (or > pseudo-profound) metaphysical ephiphany having to do with a tmbg lyric? > just curious. my recent one had to do with the quote in my sig... too many to count. --jim kuemmerle, who can count to three: one.... two.... five! j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 16:23:09 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: the world's address Message-ID: On Tue, 23 Jun 1998 HallOfEyes@aol.com wrote: > "Meta-culture references" (I think he says that anyway) i've always heard it as "i may have to contact your references"... like something in a job interview... --jim kuemmerle, who's planning on putting off job interviews for at least another 4-6 years... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ From: OverpassX@aol.com Message-ID: <346f7701.35917db0@aol.com> Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 18:29:03 EDT Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG Geography Home- West Grove PA 19390 School- Quincy MA 02170 Nora :) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 17:54:09 -0700 (PDT) Message-Id: From: Bob Gonsalves Subject: Re: TMBG: theremin / Berkeley >> Theramin! Theramin! (They don't already have that do they?) > >To beat a dead horse, when I saw Pere Ubu open for TMBG a few years ago, >Frank Thomas (lead singer) played a theremin on one song. I just stared >at the stage, wondering what the hell kind of instrument that box with >metal sticking out of it actually was. I have since come to embrace and >love the music of the theremin. Yeah... [David Thomas, not to be confused with the singer in Blood, Sweat and Tears or the Burgermeister..] I saw mon Pere Ubu last night in San Francisco and they're still using the theremin on several songs, plugged into the mini-Moog synthesizer, to great effect. United Airlines managed to lose some of their other equipment, though :( David did sing one song through a telephone handpiece as he strolled out into the audience, 'Out in the Real World'. and At 1:40 PM -0700 6/24/98, Klara Fizer wrote: > >Berkeley >California >94721 > >I've yet to see anyone else from here on this list, though... > Both the missus and I live in Berkeley, 94706 Bob Gonsalves, Research Director, Pink Noise Studios Art*Technology*Politics http://www.pinknoiz.com/ ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <1903a2c9.3591a4a8@aol.com> Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 21:15:19 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: the world's address In a message dated 6/24/98 6:23:29 PM, J.Kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu wrote: > >> "Meta-culture references" (I think he says that anyway) > >i've always heard it as "i may have to contact your references"... like >something in a job interview... mm, i always hear "man's culture references", but i'm never right about these things... :) sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980625012414.20201.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG:Dilbert2000 and this list (no hard feelings) Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 18:24:13 PDT Well, I didn't know you people watch cartoons. I had to watch it once, because I was at a friends house, and her daughter was watching Tiny Toons. I'll never forget that episode, because that's the first time I've ever heard of TMBG. I just couldn't remember the name of the group. That's when I decided to stay up late one night(6:00 AM) and watch some TV. On MTV Live with Matt Pinfield(?), they showed a clip from an old show. The clip they showed was TMBG performing Particle Man. I'm sorry, but I didn't know you people we're so obsessed with the group, who has, parden my sayings, quite a bit of songs that suck, anyway. You hear me guys. GET A HOBBY. CAN YOU DEAL WITH WHAT I JUST SAID??????? ARE YOU GONNA TELL YOUR THERAPIST THAT I DISSED YOUR GROUP, AND THAT IT HURT YOUR FEELINGS???? NEXT TIME I SAY SOMETHING THAT SOUNDS DUMB, ACT LIKE YOU DIDN'T KNOW!!! I DON'T SPEND EVERY WAKING HOUR WATCHING OUT FOR THEM. I'M SORRY I DON'T KNOW EVERY LITTLE THING YOU GUYS KNOW!!!!!! Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com "Damn you and your fairy stories, they're smashing up my home!!!." --Arther Dent, "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <456745cc.3591a8cf@aol.com> Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 21:33:02 EDT Subject: Re: Re: NON-TMBG:Dilbert2000 and this list (no hard feelings) ....wow.. In a message dated 6/24/98 9:25:18 PM, dilbert_2000@hotmail.com wrote: >the group, who has, >parden my sayings, quite a bit of songs that suck, anyway. You hear me >guys. GET A HOBBY. CAN YOU DEAL WITH WHAT I JUST SAID??????? (it's pardon) .. "quite a bit of songs that suck, anyway"? you *are* talking about tmbg, correct? if you think they have "quite a bit of songs that suck", may i ask what you're doing posting here every 5 minutes? if you're going to criticize fans of a band for liking them, I think you're doing it in the wrong place, because you won't get a lot of sympathy here... back to your regularly scheduled posts, sarah http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ From: "Mr. Me" Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 20:39:13 CST Subject: Re: TMBG: the world's address Message-ID: <7F4CF420A68@athena.valpo.edu> i've always thought it was "mass culture references." who knows. [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] "Instead of creating new weapons of destruction, we ought to get some use out of the ones we already have." Deep Thoughts [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] Experience the many media of Jeremy Skrenes! Email: jskrenes@athena.valpo.edu Snail: or p356jskrenes@exodus.valpo.edu Wehrenberg Hall Airwaves: Sunday nights, 12-2am 95.1, WVUR Valparaiso, IN 46383 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980625014706.10216.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Sarah Starr" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG:Dilbert2000 and this list (no hard feelings) Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 18:47:06 PDT I'm sorry, >but I didn't know you people we're so obsessed with the group, who has, >parden my sayings, quite a bit of songs that suck, anyway. You hear me >guys. GET A HOBBY. CAN YOU DEAL WITH WHAT I JUST SAID??????? ARE YOU >GONNA TELL YOUR THERAPIST THAT I DISSED YOUR GROUP, AND THAT IT HURT >YOUR FEELINGS???? NEXT TIME I SAY SOMETHING THAT SOUNDS DUMB, ACT LIKE >YOU DIDN'T KNOW!!! I DON'T SPEND EVERY WAKING HOUR WATCHING OUT FOR >THEM. I'M SORRY I DON'T KNOW EVERY LITTLE THING YOU GUYS KNOW!!!!!! well....I'm certainly sorry you were accused of being a newbie....placing you among their ranks is a disparagement to clueless newbies everywhere. You are just a jerk, pure and simple. CAN YOU DEAL WITH *THAT*!!!!!!!!???? to all others on this list...sorry for the outburst but I was gonna scream!!! Sarah faye crawling back to her hole of lurkiness ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Jun 98 21:52:01 EDT From: Laura Dambrosa Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #7-23 Message-ID: OK- since you asked us lurkers to come out of the woodwork and let you know where we're from so nicely- I'll fill you in. Parsippany, NJ, 07054 Back to lurking...... ------------------------------ From: mjames@khserver.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9806250202.AA26782@khserver.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: NON-TMBG:Dilbert2000 and this list (no hard feeling Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 22:02:57 -0400 (EDT) > show. The clip they showed was TMBG performing Particle Man. I'm sorry, > but I didn't know you people we're so obsessed with the group, who has, > parden my sayings, quite a bit of songs that suck, anyway. You hear me I don't have any qualms with you not liking the band or not liking certain songs or whatever, no big deal. But if quite a bit of their songs suck (which I take to mean you only marginally like TMBG, if even that) why would you be on this mailing list? Not only getting messages from people who like TMBG but also having to deal with the volume of messages makes me think you must be masochistic. Generally people don't sign up to mailing lists of bands they think have quite a bit of sucky songs. So what is the deal? -Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: DrWormX@aol.com Message-ID: <4ee4931a.3591b2c7@aol.com> Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 22:15:33 EDT Subject: Re: NON-TMBG:Dilbert2000 and this list (no hard feelings) man, that's not the problem. It's not that you don't know as much as us, the problem is that you act like you're above us for saying the things that you do know. Also, if you think that TMBG sucks so much, I don't know why you're on this list. And another thing, I can't even begin to comprehend why you make fun of us for "being so obsessed with the list" and that we need to "get a hobby" when it seems like you just sit there waiting for the next post to come in, so you can say something stupid about it. And I'm still waiting for you to tell us how old you are....(that is of course if you want to...) Matt --who was it who wanted controversy? You're really alive when you wish you were dead. And there isn't a god, or a heaven or hell, life's a little old apple and a William Tell ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 22:30:06 -0600 From: Lex Friedman Subject: SEMI-TMBG: In Defense Of Puff Daddy To quote Puff Daddy (and Mace): "Do Mace got the ladies? (Yeah, yeah) Do Mace drive Mercedes? (Yeah, yeah) Take hits from the '80s? (Yeah, yeah) But do it sound so crazy? (Yeah, yeah)" Puffy knows what he's doing, I believe. He NEVER tries to pass off his sampled songs as his own. He performed "I'll Be Missin' You" WITH Sting live on more than one occasion, and he recorded "Come With Me" with Jimmy Page. Just like more old-school DJs, Puffy reworks old songs into new, different songs -- yet starkly similar to their corresponding originals -- but still distinctly morphed reworkings of their predecessors... And, you know what? TMBG does it, too. I swear. And not even with Joshua Fried (who is VERY good at what he does.) Not to the same extent, but TMBG "samples" in "Where Your Eyes Don't Go," which I feel is an incredible tune. (The sample is a melodic reworking of the refrain from "Someone's In The Kitchen With Dinah.") Sampling isn't bad. It's DIFFERENT. It's the musical equivalent of a "Very Special Friends Episode" that turns out to be a clip show. There are a few new jokes bewteen Monica, Chandler, Ross, Rachel, Phoebe, and Joey, as well as rehashed, repeated, old jokes from earlier episodes. Seeing the jokes in a new context doesn't necessarily make them funnier... it makes them, perhaps, the same amount "funny" in a different way. Okay, weak allusion. But Puffy -- and the Fried remixes -- take TMBG's "old jokes" and add some new material. And I do whatever the musical equivalent of laughing at Chandler is. -Lex ------------------------------ Subject: Re: NON-TMBG:Dilbert2000 and this list (no hard feelings) Message-ID: <19980624.225839.16079.0.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 22:59:48 EDT Fine. You think TMBG have "quite a bit of songs that suck", then what the hell are you doing on this mailing list? It has been said many times on this list that They were on Tiny Toons. Okay, you didn't read those posts for whatever reason. But if you know something you think we don't, don't try to act cool about it, just tell us. And for Christ's sake, get yourself a life. I see more posts from you each day than anyone else on this list, even from people who don't think that They Might Be Giants suck. If you want to bitch and moan because your feelings were hurt, then go cry to your mommy, because I guarantee that NOBODY on this list cares. Derek _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980624220009.0068b810@pop.indy.net> Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 22:00:09 -0400 From: rachel Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: "art" (incredibly long, drawn out and boring) jim k. wrote: >i'm afraid i have to take some issue with that: if you are doing it for >yourself, then, yeah, you're gaining from it, but (1) you're not in it for >the money, food, shelter, or sex. (well, okay, maybe you're still in it >for the sex...) and (2) i would really hate to think that the only art is >stuff you don't enjoy doing. because then you'd *have* to be in it for >the money etc. either that or you'd have to be a masochist. > hmmm, good point. let me rephrase that. i didn't mean it to sound like "you are an artist *only* if you are masochistic" because i should certianly hope most people who make art enjoy doing it, for the most part. however, i still see "art" as being something one *has* to do, like eating and sleeping- (for example) i know of many artists who are "process artists," meaning that the process of creation is more important than the actual outcome, which may in some cases be completely worthless to them (see: joseph beuys and hans haacke). but other artists, such as (my personal favorite) gustav klimt may have been more concerned with the product, laboring for years over a single canvas. my point is, depending on which is more importiant to the artist, the product or process, the other may be frustrating and uncomfortable. i *know* that this is not always the case... [confusing the hell out of everyone right now including herself] i guess what i was trying to say in that last post was, art is something you have to do but may not always like, if you can stick with it though the difficult times then that makes you a true artist. musically speaking, ripping off another artist's music and changing the lyrics slighty- is not art. for example, my understanding is that puff daddy changed the lyrics to "every breath you take" into a song to mourn his dead friend. now, if puff daddy was really emotionally hurt by this why couldn't he have used that energy to write his own song? it's like stealing the flowers to bring to a funeral. however, i do understand that that may be his way, or whatever, and i am not puff daddy so i don't know how he feels. finally, what he did and what joshua fried did are completely different- fried remixed a tmbg song and put it on a tmbg album, he did not remix a song and put it on his own album with his name on it. the latter seems slighly egotistical to me, which is partly why i can't stand the likes of puff daddy. that is all, i promise. ;) meow, rachel "obsessive projects" can now be found at: http://www.geocities.com/soho/museum/5039 enjoy, (or whatever it is that you do) ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 24 Jun 98 23:05 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: SEMI-TMBG: In Defense Of Puff Daddy >And, you know what? TMBG does it, too. I swear. And not even with Joshua >Fried (who is VERY good at what he does.) > >Not to the same extent, but TMBG "samples" in "Where Your Eyes Don't Go," >which I feel is an incredible tune. (The sample is a melodic reworking of >the refrain from "Someone's In The Kitchen With Dinah.") True, but technically, that's called a "quote." If they took it from an actual performance of "Someone's In the Kitchen With Dinah" performed by someone different, then it'd be a sample. If they play it themselves, it's a quote. Or at least, that's how I've always understood it. Someone will probably prove me wrong. ;) Kirsten -- [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] "And she said losing love is like a window in your heart Everybody sees you're blown apart..." - Paul Simon "Graceland" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ From: CajunGram@aol.com Message-ID: <5a88c493.3591be28@aol.com> Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 23:04:07 EDT Subject: Re: NON-TMBG:Dilbert2000 and this list (HARD FEELINGS) In a message dated 98-06-24 21:25:18 EDT, you write: << I'm sorry, but I didn't know you people we're so obsessed with the group, who has, parden my sayings, quite a bit of songs that suck, anyway. You hear me guys. GET A HOBBY. CAN YOU DEAL WITH WHAT I JUST SAID??????? ARE YOU GONNA TELL YOUR THERAPIST THAT I DISSED YOUR GROUP, AND THAT IT HURT YOUR FEELINGS???? NEXT TIME I SAY SOMETHING THAT SOUNDS DUMB, ACT LIKE YOU DIDN'T KNOW!!! I DON'T SPEND EVERY WAKING HOUR WATCHING OUT FOR THEM. I'M SORRY I DON'T KNOW EVERY LITTLE THING YOU GUYS KNOW!!!!!! >> I've hesitated posting to this thread, but this guy is soo stupid I just couldn't resist... I'm not sure about how things run in your preschool, but here when you try to make new friends, you usually don't start out by insulting their musical tastes, by posting retarded ass stuff, then trying to pass it off as if you are the shit, and then just being an overall jackass. I can understand not knowing a lot about a band when you start off liking them, when I first joined the list, I wasn't the aficionado (hah hah) that I am today, but I was able to assimilate into the list culture and not make an ass of myself. I can even understand not liking all of TMBG's songs, there are a select few I don't like either, but getting on a mailing list of a band, first claiming you know all about the band, then saying you don't, and never lreally liked them anyway seems a bit, what's the word... moronic! So in closing, don't be an ass! Graham "Just venting after being pulled over by an asshole cop and having my car hit in a parking lot on the very same day" Amsden ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 20:04:54 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: the world's address Message-ID: <19980624.234532.3558.0.jbparke@juno.com> From: jbparke@juno.com (Jeff Parker) On Wed, 24 Jun 1998 16:23:09 -0600 (MDT) J Kuemmerle writes: >On Tue, 23 Jun 1998 HallOfEyes@aol.com wrote: > >> "Meta-culture references" (I think he says that anyway) > >i've always heard it as "i may have to contact your references"... >like >something in a job interview... > I always thought it said "man's cultural references", but I've been known to be wrong before... :) That's it... v^v Jeffro v^v "I'll rape your skulls!!!" - Addicted to Love (a surprisingly funny movie) _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 00:19:11 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Viva Variety Message-ID: <19980625.001939.3302.0.gray42@juno.com> I know this won't benefit mankind, but I just had to shout, for a girl w/ out television, the luckiest thing happened to me. a friend w/ television, who knew I was Gianthead, came across a repeat of Viva Variety, and taped the bit Where Linnell sings "Till my Head Falls Off" I'm so happy, how very considerate of him :) Everyone can go about thei business now, I just wanted to state my happiness Mysterio Gal (If I ever get any more material, I'll make a special TMBG tribute compilation tape) "ME NO LIKE HAMBURGER, ME WANT PEANUTBUTTER, ACTUALLY ME HATE PEANUTBUTTER TOO! ME JUST WANT HAIR!" -- Claire Monster (fully equipped with extremely loud keyboard and monster voice) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 21:46:52 -0700 (PDT) From: "J. Brown" Subject: Re: SEMI-TMBG: In Defense Of Puff Daddy Message-ID: Lex Wrote: > And, you know what? TMBG does it, too. I swear. And not even with Joshua > Fried (who is VERY good at what he does.) Yes TMBG does do it thats one of the things that makes them fun. Everybody lifts from here and there. Hell One of my favourites Nick Lowe (any Nick fans out there) has made a carreer out of reworking past hits into new creations. Hell even my numero uno musical Hero Elvis Costello make liftys all over the place, Check out the Costello webpage and there is entire FAQ on EC's lifts. But what makes TMBG, Nick, and Elvis different is that make entirely new creations out of the older stuff. They use these riffs and chords as jumpping off points for their own creativity. > Sampling isn't bad. It's DIFFERENT. It's the musical equivalent of a Hell i think Sampling is great as long as its done well. Puffy doesn't really do anything other than take some old song and put a big Nazi beat on it and then put some lame rapping by him and MA$E. I think puffy's biggest attrocity is His first single that took Grandmaster Flash's the message and mixed it with Ain't nobody gonna break my stride. He ruined Flash's original the first rap song about serious issues- Life in the ghetto and turned into a song about how riuch he is and how cool he is. It makes my skin crawl. Now compare this with Public Enemy's He Got Game or even ODB and Mya's Ghetto Superstar. Both use their source material in a fun way and the Rapping is loads better. Now all of this is not to say that Puffy sucks. He is good for one thing... you can really dance to his stuff! Now part of that is he picked some good stuff to ape(like Bowie's Let's Dance) and Puffy's album always gets people dancing at a party! jason np- Squeeze- Some Fantastic Place ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 01:15:27 -0500 (CDT) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: TMBG: live performances Message-ID: Hey all-- A thought just occurred to me. I'm not sure how many people around this list have been into Them for years and years, and how many have gotten into Them in the past couple of years. Myself, I've been listening to John and John ever since 1991 (jesus, seven years ago? where does the time go?) when I stole my brother's mix tape of assorted songs from the Pink Album, Misc. T, and Lincoln. But I'm getting away from the point. The point is, my first TMBG show was in 1993, and I've noticed something since then that maybe other "old-timers" will concur with. In my experience, TMBG live shows have grown more and more improvisational, and thus more "live" than they were in the past. I mean, in 1993 I thought "Jeez, I can go listen to the CD and it's pretty close to this." Now, they screw with just about every song on stage (whereas at that time they only did it with the end of "Spy"). Has anyone else noticed this trend? And trust me, listening to boots of concerts of the time have nothing to do with it...you really have to be at the show to really get the "feel" of what's going on. Any opinions? Oh, and let me once again implore some of you---cut the flaming shit out, eh? If you must flame the wondrous Dilbert2000, do it to him. I, for one, don't want to dwell. 'nuff said. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu personnel@kwur.wustl.edu np: v/a--A Million Miles Away: The Emo Diaries Vol. 2 ------------------------------ From: MatFoley99@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 02:17:41 EDT Subject: Re: non-TMBG: Conan O'Brien In a message dated 98-06-24 14:45:02 EDT, KdsInThHal@aol.com writes: << I think that Andy Richter is even >funnier then Conan I love andy. he's my favourite on the show. I wrote to him for his autograph and got it really quickly. :) >> Yeah, I actually got to talk to him. It was neat. A little over a year ago me and a friend went to a free talk he was giving at the University. We snuck into like the third row on the floor of the entire Basketball Gym, but later realized we hadn't snuck on at all...it was first come, first serve. Oh well, I still like to tell people that we snuck in. Anyways, I got to talk to him, and said I wanted to be just like him when I grow up. He said, "Warn your parents!" Ahh...such good advice. Later I got his autograph. That's my Andy Richter-brush with fame-story. Chris "In the year 2000, the only difference between the supreme court and any other court will be sour cream and tomatoes" Brannan ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980625071024.006c9eb0@cybnetonline.com> Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 02:10:24 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: the world's address At 04:23 PM 6/24/98 -0600, J Kuemmerle wrote: >On Tue, 23 Jun 1998 HallOfEyes@aol.com wrote: > >> "Meta-culture references" (I think he says that anyway) > >i've always heard it as "i may have to contact your references"... like >something in a job interview... > I've always heard "Mass-cultural references," I thought this was a reference to all the reference hidden in the words of those songs by a couple of guys named John. LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980625072015.006dfec4@cybnetonline.com> Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 02:20:15 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: SEMI-TMBG: In Defense Of Puff Daddy At 11:05 PM 6/24/98 EDT, Kirsten Brodbeck wrote: >>And, you know what? TMBG does it, too. I swear. And not even with Joshua >>Fried (who is VERY good at what he does.) >> >>Not to the same extent, but TMBG "samples" in "Where Your Eyes Don't Go," >>which I feel is an incredible tune. (The sample is a melodic reworking of >>the refrain from "Someone's In The Kitchen With Dinah.") > > True, but technically, that's called a "quote." If they took it >from an actual performance of "Someone's In the Kitchen With Dinah" >performed by someone different, then it'd be a sample. If they play it >themselves, it's a quote. Or at least, that's how I've always understood >it. Someone will probably prove me wrong. ;) > Actually it has someother term. Which escapes me. But let me state for the record that Puffy don't sample, (nor do most of the no-talent new-school rappers) He does this thing. (god what is that word) He records the songs (not him specifically but you get the point) and he adds his crap. LDB, still pissed that princy-boy recorded an album with Jeff on only one song. THAT BASTARD! -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3592437B.C372AE48@pacificnet.net> Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 04:33:05 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Ralph and Kathy's Musical debut! (Re: Hidden Track) mike12da@cyberwaves.com (Mike Mcguire) wrote: >Ok, since no one has done this yet, I think it's fair to title the >hidden track on It's Fun To Steal, "Hidden Track"... so here goes. >"Hidden Track" (-2:03)... [lyrics re-posted below] > ...*Scat is the only word that I'm not sure of. Yes, its "scat". This track was definitely created completely with Macintosh's SPEECH feature. Using Mike's transcription, I matched the correct voices to each section. If you have a Mac, (with system 7.5 or up) try this: Copy the lyrics below and paste them into SimpleText, select the appropriate voices and listen. Its EXACTLY the same (except the " Scoo-doo-doo-doo..." part because it was transcribed a little off.) Am I the only one that thinks the words "hidden track "are kind of unintelligible? If they would have spelled it "hid en track", the Speech function would have pronounced it perfectly . You CAN change the voices' speeds but apparently, they did not do any tweaking either on the Mac or in the mixing. Have fun. (RALPH:) Your call is very very very very important to us. Please hold and your call will be answered by the next available operator. This message will not be repeated. (KATHY:) Hidden track Hidden track I'm under house arrest in the Hidden track Why wont anyone help me Why wont you help me This room is dark and the air is cold There is no way out of the Hidden track Where have all my friends gone How can no one hear my cries Hidden track Hidden track I'm under house arrest in the Hidden track In this dark dark room In this dark dark room I am alone In this dark dark room In this dark dark room I am alone But my love of music is keeping my spirit alive And this is the song I have written to keep my spirit alive And it goes: (BAD NEWS:) Hidden track Hidden track I'm under house arrest in the Hidden track Why wont anyone help me Why wont you help me [few seconds pause] (PRINCESS:) Hello my name is Pat Dillett and I am a record producer And I would like to welcome you to the Mono Puff Syndicates album "It's Fun To Steal". We hope you enjoy listening to it as much as we enjoyed making it. Enjoy the fresh new sound of Mono Puff Syndicate. And now the scat portion of our program. (BAD NEWS:) Scoo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-Sca-bo-dwee Scee-ee-do-de Scwee-do-de-do-dwee-do-dway Hidden track Hidden track Jack. -B O N G O _____________________________________________ "When you go down to where you know don't forget what you don't know" -Geggy Tah ------------------------------ From: ArwenAnaNg@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 09:30:36 EDT Subject: NON-TMBG: Norman Bates Um, did anyone else not receive the digest, but rather a *.jpg of Norman Bates? Arwen "I might be Psycho, or it might just be AOL" AnaNg ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980625145049.22011.rocketmail@web1.rocketmail.com> Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 07:50:49 -0700 (PDT) From: Danielle Gaither Subject: Re: TMBG: daily show--hdg ---Bill Tatalovich wrote: > > >All right...time for me to show my obsession with another musician! I > > >know this isn't really relevant to the above clip, but anyway....the Daily > > >Show theme is actually written and performed by Bob Mould...formerly of > > >Husker Du and Sugar (and has another solo album coming out in august!). > > >The song's called "Dog on Fire"....odd thought here. I wonder if Flans > > >used "Dog on Fire" as an inspiration for "Hillbilly Drummer Girl"? > > >Ah...imagine.... > > > > I suspect not, since it is a cover. It was originally by the Young Fresh > > Fellows, I believe. Could "Dog on Fire" have been inspired by the Young Fresh Fellows? :) > Oops. My mistake. Odd....most times people on this list would MENTION > the fact that HDG is a cover....come on, guys, I expect you to tell me > these things!! Hrmph! Well, pay attention! :) > Oh, and two other things...first, I'm kidding. And second, this list is > slowly getting back to the stage where I left it over a year ago. Cut the > immature crap out, folks. Please? Amen, brother! Newbies, read the FAQ. Everyone else, try not to be so thin-skinned. With tensions as high as they've been, I almost miss those cursed "which-John-is-cuter" threads. Well, almost. But not quite. > Bill Tatalovich > wt3@cec.wustl.edu > personnel@kwur.wustl.edu Danielle, inspector over the mine > np: Lycia--Estrella (anyone noticed my psychotic musical tastes lately?) np: 4'33"--John Cage (can be explained upon request) === URL: http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/1054/index.html "Remember me? I'm not married, I don't have any kids, and I'd blow your head off if someone paid me enough." --from _Grosse Pointe Blank_ _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3592346F.2B2FC00B@tmbg.org> Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 11:28:49 +0000 From: "Chris \"Feeny\" Campbell" Subject: TMBG: MonoPuff:The Post Card... If you didn't get the cool IFTS post card from our pals at Mono Puff, You can see it, read it, and taste it on a page at my website the URL is... http://www.mix-net.net/~ccampbell/ifts.html -- -Chris "fEenY" Campbell ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ TMBG SHRINE! Http://www.mix-net.net/~ccampbell E-mail - ccampbell@mix-net.net Or At - feeny@tmbg.org ----"No one understands, No one knows my plan" -John Linnell, ----"A note to myself, do the dumb things I gotta do, touch the puppet head" -John Flansburgh They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 10:03:50 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG:lotsa good shtuff Message-ID: <19980625.100353.11078.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> MORE OR LESS TMBG RELATED PORTION OF TODAY'S POST: #1 i'm sorry to have started the flames against the newbies... i only meant to inform them and then have that be that... everone just jumped in which i totally didn't expect. and looking back on it i post more irrelevant crap than actually relevant stuff... kids, don't worry about it. #2 To anyone planning on requesting a 2:1 bootleg trade... please do so before July or else it'll take me a couple weeks to get you your tapes :) sorry! #3 i got my IFTS postcard :) #4 i went to the 2 skinnee j's concert last night (heh, it was free so...) anyways, the first thing they did was start talking about how moshing was "1984" but that all the trendy people started in the early 90's and then just idiots were doing it now... needless to say the moshing stoped there. Anyways, i'm on another mailing list and it seems that a lot of bands are taking this stance... i just don't know what to think. > Myself, I've been listening to >John and John ever since 1991 (jesus, seven years ago? where does the >time go?) when I stole my brother's mix tape of assorted songs from >the >Pink Album, Misc. T, and Lincoln. heh... i stole my sister's lincoln tape in '89 been a fan since... does your brother still like them? > In my experience, TMBG live shows have >grown more and more improvisational, and thus more "live" than they >were >in the past. i disagree... i think in the very begining it was a lot more dificult to do any improv due to the drum machine (but that was obvious). but when the got the live band it was like they totally took it all the way with stump the band and spin the dial. it seems that, sure, that was the only improv they were doing at the time (along with spy) but now all we've got is spy and planet of the apes... the ocassional song in particle man and what not. but i really don't see much of a difference. i think it may be that they've become much more comfortable writting for the full band thus giving each of the band members a little bit of room to do their own stuff... so i spose in that sense they do... NON-TMBG RELATED PORTION: #1 i would highly recomend going to see the 2 skinnee J's... they're a lot better than "riot nrrd" would lead one to believe. or go to their show... damn cool. (If you like anything from beck to the crystal method) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::5 KTCL banners strong::: (www.ktcl.com) _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19980625115754.007ee100@email.psu.edu> Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 11:57:54 -0400 From: "J. L. Moquin" Subject: Re: TMBG: MonoPuff:The Post Card... Chris \"Feeny\" Campbell wrote: >If you didn't get the cool IFTS post card from our pals at Mono Puff, >You can see it, read it, and taste it on a page at my website the URL >is... > >http://www.mix-net.net/~ccampbell/ifts.html I got mine! Breathed a BIG sigh of relief, too, after worrying for several months about whether or not they'd processed the change of address I left on their answering machine way back in December when we moved. :) TMBG Club ID 1673, -jennifer, mommy to alice the bean, 8/15/97 http://www.emprl.psu.edu/~anth/ mailto:jls5@psu.edu "My motto, as I live and learn, Is dig and be dug in return" -- Langston Hughes ------------------------------ Message-ID: <359240E5.F62EBEF3@tmbg.org> Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 12:21:58 +0000 From: "Chris \"Feeny\" Campbell" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Geography Home: Hollis Maine 04042 5 miles away... School: Standish Maine 04084 Christopher "Maine-iac" Campbell ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.16.19980625124916.486fa22c@entropy.muc.muohio.edu> Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 12:49:16 From: Chris Combs Subject: TMBG: Severe Tire Damage Hidden Tracks A friend of mine got a promotional release of the new record in a used CD store somewhere in Georgia... there are seventeen listed tracks, and 24 total. All of the Ape tracks are at the end, they just aren't mentioned. He is glowing over Doctor Worm, especially the heavy horns. It's a big ol' rocking version he says. And he says good things about the live version of XTC vs. Adam Ant. He likes it much better than the studio version. Till My Head Falls Off he described as "a rockin' mess" which I think is good coming from him. He is not too happy with First Kiss. That is my report. Do with it as you will. ============================================================== = Chris Combs aka "Peek, rabbi. Dan saw a = = Piglet Goat Boy snadib barkeep." = = http://muc.muohio.edu/~goatboy/ One baton I saw. = = Was I not a beno? = ============================================================== ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <3663944a.3592832e@aol.com> Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 13:04:45 EDT Subject: Re: Re: SEMI-TMBG: In Defense Of Puff Daddy In a message dated 6/25/98 3:24:00 AM, LDB@tmbg.org wrote: >Actually it has someother term. Which escapes me. But let me state for the >record that Puffy don't sample, (nor do most of the no-talent new-school >rappers) He does this thing. (god what is that word) He records the songs >(not him specifically but you get the point) and he adds his crap. excerpt? re: cage and aquarium - (i wasn't going to reply to this before but i feel like it now, so sorry i can't find the message to quote) ~ tmbg did NOT take the musical portion of "age of aquarius" and record their own vocals over it. That's what Puff Daddy does. he takes *the exact* song, and just changes the words. sarah ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 13:02:53 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: live performances Message-ID: <19980625.131415.10398.0.gray42@juno.com> Here's a forwarded quote from a review by William Maier of the last concert at Janis Landings I attended. I think it pretty much fits in with what Bill said, I personally have only made it to 2 TMBG concerts, but I know for a fact that William has been to more than that > All in all (is all we are, hah!), I think they > weren't as restained as last year, when they were > touring to support Showroom, and had to play a good > percentage of those songs. They shook up the mix a > little bit this time, playing some varied-tempo > versions of older songs. Not that I didn't enjoy > last year. >From when I went to my first concert back in 93' (or was it 94' or 95' (anyway they were touring for John Henry)) Well, comparing the two times, I can definitely see the change, there was no orchastrating with the arm, and they seemed to sing the songs in the same way. John and John are mutating right before our eyes! Mysterio Gal (cultural reviewer) "ME NO LIKE HAMBURGER, ME WANT PEANUTBUTTER, ACTUALLY ME HATE PEANUTBUTTER TOO! ME JUST WANT HAIR!" -- Claire Monster (fully equipped with extremely loud keyboard and monster voice) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 11:38:02 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Harry The Handsome Executive Message-ID: chalk up one more harry fan on the list. do any of you like Escape-Velocity? also made by ambrosia. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980625191853.006dcc74@cybnetonline.com> Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 14:18:53 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: Re: SEMI-TMBG: In Defense Of Puff Daddy At 01:04 PM 6/25/98 EDT, KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: > >In a message dated 6/25/98 3:24:00 AM, LDB@tmbg.org wrote: > >>Actually it has someother term. Which escapes me. But let me state for the >>record that Puffy don't sample, (nor do most of the no-talent new-school >>rappers) He does this thing. (god what is that word) He records the songs >>(not him specifically but you get the point) and he adds his crap. > >excerpt? > >re: cage and aquarium - (i wasn't going to reply to this before but i feel >like it now, so sorry i can't find the message to quote) ~ tmbg did NOT take >the musical portion of "age of aquarius" and record their own vocals over it. >That's what Puff Daddy does. he takes *the exact* song, and just changes the >words. > It's interpolate. Puff Daddy interpolates the entire song. TMBG interpolated just a tiny bit. Thanx for being patient while I remembered the words. :) LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 16:47:32 -0500 (CDT) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: daily show--hdg Message-ID: > > > I suspect not, since it is a cover. It was originally by the Young Fresh > > > Fellows, I believe. > Could "Dog on Fire" have been inspired by the Young Fresh Fellows? :) Indeed it's a possibility. I seem to remember that at one point Husker Du (Mould's old band) toured with the Young Fresh Fellows....so you never know. > > Oops. My mistake. Odd....most times people on this list would MENTION > > the fact that HDG is a cover....come on, guys, I expect you to tell me > > these things!! > Hrmph! Well, pay attention! :) [Bill hangs his head in shame] > > np: Lycia--Estrella (anyone noticed my psychotic musical tastes lately?) > np: 4'33"--John Cage (can be explained upon request) You like sitting in silence for a while? I think we all do sometimes.... Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu personnel@kwur.wustl.edu np: Spinanes--Manos ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 18:32:22 EDT Subject: TMBG: This List! When I downloaded the list digest today, all I got was a picture...any listies got any ideas on what happened??? jason "too tired to think" glastetter ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 18:50:40 -0500 (CDT) From: "Christopher M. Stangl" Subject: Re: TMBG: Resident Evil/Dead Alive Message-ID: On Tue, 23 Jun 1998, the famous Uncle Squid wrote: > Dead Alive, better know to us Europeans (and the rest of the world > excluding the US because of some stoopid censorship thing) as "Brain Dead" Wrong. "Braindead" (the original New Zealand title) was re-named in the US because the similarly-titled genre film "Brain Dead" had been released two years prior ('90). This was mostly unnecessary, as no one here SAW "Brain Dead" (though it starred no less than Bill Pullman AND Bill Paxton AND Bud Cort). This is particularly a shame as "Dead/ Alive" is a ridiculously stupid title, and "Braindead" is a perfectly good one (perhaps the clumsiest and most unnecessary US horror re-titling of the '90s... or it would have been if the beautiful "Dellamorte Dellamore" hadn't been awkwardly and moronically renamed "Cemetery Man"). Anyhow, you see how it is... silly (or maybe even "stoopid"), but not censorship in any way, shape or form. I will vouch for "Braindead" being worth everyone's time, and "Brain Dead" being worth the time of genre fans (and Bud Cort fans). > I am wondering is Bad Taste gor released over there? That was Jackson'd > first movie and it rules. Obviously "Bad Taste" is not the kind of film that any US distributor would give any kind of wide theatrical release. It played briefly in the states, albeit in slightly expurgated form, and has been granted a US video relase of the same cut. Persons interested in seeing "Bad Taste" in it's original form would do well to visit Super Creeps Video: http://www.meadownet.com/supercreeps/ > Don't know which I like better but it still rules... they both do. I really don't think there's any contest. "Bad Taste" has some serious pacing problems, and thinks that it's far more antic than it really is. Peter Jackson has only seriously impressed me twice- "Brain Dead" being the finest splat-stick movie I've ever seen (Sam Raimi, eat your rotting intestines out), and the absolutely exquisite "Heavenly Creatures" which deserves at LEAST every word of praise heaped on it. It makes me squirm in my knickers to think that the same man responsible for the abysmal "Meet The Feebles" could be responsible for "Heavenly Creatures". -Chris Stangl ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #7-27 *****************************