Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #7-3 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 7, Number 3 Wednesday, 3 June 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: it's all funny.. to ERIK/echuss@notes.cc.bellcore.com NON-TMBG: The Clash/Guns in School (none) TMBG: another i should be allowed... question TMBG: Is it fun to steal? TMBG: IFTS Re: TMBG: IFTS TMBG: 7 stages.... Re: TMBG: IFTS TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #7-2 Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #7-2 Re: TMBG: IFTS Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #7-2 TMBG: the John's music Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #7-2 Re: TMBG: 7 stages.... Re: TMBG: the John's music Re: TMBG: another i should be allowed... question TMBG: Re: 7 Stages TMBG: Mike Leffel Re: TMBG: National Accordian Awareness Month Re: TMBG: the John's music Re: TMBG: the John's music TMBG: Hideaway Folk Family Re: TMBG: non-tmbg : soul coughing Re: TMBG: another i should be allowed... question Re: TMBG: Re: 7 Stages Re: TMBG: the John's music Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <3573CEEC.D75DC826@home.com> Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 03:07:41 -0700 From: NICHOLAS JANSSEN Organization: @Home Network Subject: TMBG: it's all funny.. to ERIK/echuss@notes.cc.bellcore.com Erik wrote: I think that once you own all of them you will reach Stage 2 or 3 of "The 7 Stages of TMBG Addiction" What are all of the 7 stages of TMBG Addiction. Nick ------------------------------ From: ArwenAnaNg@aol.com Message-ID: <6db9dc9.3573e8a9@aol.com> Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 07:57:28 EDT Subject: NON-TMBG: The Clash/Guns in School In a message dated 98-06-02 02:06:18 EDT, you write: << anyone here have the Clash album "Combat Rock"? (if not, ya should, it's great;)) ....I never knew for the longest time that he's the speaking voice on "Ghetto Defendant". >> In the days before TMBG, I could honestly say that The Clash was my favourite band. I was in high school when Combat Rock came out and "Know Your Rights" was kind of my theme song. I was a young punk in a school full of Jocks, Rednecks and Bops. My hair looked like that guy from Kajagoogoo (bleached blonde & spiky on top, brown & shaved below) but at that time, I never feared for my life just for being "rebellious". The year after I graduated (1986) some kid came to school with a gun and killed the principal. It seems like there's been a snowball effect since then and school killings are somewhat commonplace. Just reason # 2035 that I don't want children. Just to add a bit of TMBG content here, if it were not for TMBG, I would find the world to be pretty much dark and pointless. With TMBG, the world is *still* dark and pointless, but at least now I can sing along and laugh. ^_^ Arwen "I'm not always this grim" AnaNg "No one in the world ever gets what they want, and that is beautiful. Eveybody dies frustrated and sad, and that is beautiful". ------------------------------ From: echuss@notes.cc.bellcore.com Message-ID: <85256617.0049A4C5.00@notes950.cc.bellcore.com> Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 09:30:08 -0400 >From: J.Kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu >Subject: HALF-TMBG: It's all funny / TTFN (ta ta for now) >On Mon, 1 Jun 1998 echuss@notes.cc.bellcore.com wrote: >> I think that once you own all of them you will reach Stage 2 or 3 of >> "The 7 Stages of TMBG Addiction". After that, the other 4 or 5 stages >> come REALLY fast. So be please be careful! >i seem to remember having heard this at some point, but i can't find it in >the mailing list archives: what are the 7 stages of TMBG addiction? I had an archived copy of the "7 Stages" but I went to look for it and can't find it. I know I saw it on someone's homepages a few months ago. So if anyone has it and can pass it on to Jim (and to the list) it would be much appreciated. Erik "So onward go and Edward Ho into the bounding main Enjoy the show look out below but mind the misty sea Or end up sad like Mister Me" - Two nuts from Manhattan ------------------------------ Message-Id: <9806021431.AA03597@willis.williams.edu> Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 10:36:37 +0100 From: beknowles@vassar.edu (Ben Knowles) Subject: TMBG: another i should be allowed... question hey, one of my tmbg-freak friends told me that ISBATT is a remake of an old song by the talking heads. she insisted on it. i was like "no." i knew about the allen ginsberg line. does anyone know anything about a talking heads connection? she's a huge fan, so i'm not going to disregard it entirely... moxy suckus, ben ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 09:29:23 -0800 From: Bill Brock Subject: TMBG: Is it fun to steal? Now that the new Mono Puff cd is out does anyone want to offer any reviews or analysis? I'm still at the stage where I'm listening to it, training my ear, and deciding how much I like it. That is definitely a similarity to TMBG -- it takes some listening to really get into the music. So far I think I like all the songs, but the ones I find myself whistling are Extra Crispy and HDG. ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9806021842.AA09657@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: IFTS Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 14:42:23 -0400 (EDT) Has anyone gotten the nerve up to actually steal an It's Fun to Steal CD? Just curious ;) Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19980602150403.00805b10@email.psu.edu> Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 15:04:03 -0400 From: "J. L. Moquin" Subject: Re: TMBG: IFTS Matthew James wrote: >Has anyone gotten the nerve up to actually steal an It's Fun to Steal >CD? >Just curious ;) >Matt But then our friend Flansie wouldn't get any money from it!!! ...Would he? No, no, it doesn't matter! Stealing is wrong!! ....Isn't it? -jennifer, mommy to alice the bean, 8/15/97 http://www.emprl.psu.edu/~anth/ mailto:jls5@psu.edu "Some women have reported problems using Reality." -- Instructions for the female condom ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199806022039.PAA21138@cs.utexas.edu> Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 15:40:02 -0500 From: checkers Subject: TMBG: 7 stages.... after much searching of my own personal archives..... THE SEVEN STAGES OF TMBG ADDICTION Stage 1: You own one album and you find yourself playing it all the time. You listen to nothing else. You can't wait to see them live. Stage 2: You own all of their albums and find yourself playing them all the time. You listen to nothing else. You can't wait to see them live. You call Dial-a-Song four times a day. You have joined the information club. Stage 3: You own all the CD singles, the video collection, and a minimum of two t-shirts. You have seen them live four times in a period of three months. You can't wait to see them again. You have begun recording Dial-a-Song. You have rented They Might Be Giants -- the movie. Stage 4: You now have four Dial-a-Song tapes which you listen to constantly. You have also begun collecting radio interviews, TV appearances, newspaper clippings, and badly recorded bootleg concerts purchased by mail with a money order mad payable only to "Jeff." The tape quality sounds like "Jeff" recorded it from the last stall in the Men's room. You write "Jeff" and ask if he's got any more concerts for sale. Stage 5: You have seen the Giants over ten times. You have the autographs of every band member -- even Tuba player, Randy -- except for the Johns. You have joined the Hello Recording Club and make apologies for Flansburgh when the March release shows up in November. ("It's not his fault. When he hasn't been in the studio, he's been on the road.") You call Dial-a-Song every hour and celebrate when a song you've never heard comes on. You have listened to "Weep, Weep for the Urine Man" over two hundred and forty two times. You have purchased a modem with the sole purpose of discussing the Giants with others like you. Stage 6: You have begun to collect records that have even the remotest Giants connection. You own recordings by all their opening acts including Brian Dewan, Frank Black, Freedy Johnston, and Drink Me. You own every guest appearance either John has made with other artists including Suzanne Vega, Otis Ball, The Meat Puppets, Annabouboula, and Brian Woodbury's Popular Music group. Months and months of vinyl hunting have yielded you copies of "Space Songs" and The Four Lads' version of "Istanbul." You know what a Hide Away Folk Family is and own several. Stage 7: You own everything, have seen everything, and have done everything Giant. You realise you may have gone too far when you find yourself stealing your parents' (or grandparents') Sammy Davis, Jr. albums just because you read somewhere that Flans digs him; or find that you have travelled many miles to catch a performance of an artist whose only work you know is the "Please Pass the Milk Please" Fingertip; or realise you just spent seventy-five dollars on a book of James Endsor paintings; or you find yourself wandering the 1964 World's Fair grounds searching for the remains of the Dupont Pavillion. It suddenly dawns on you that you may need help. There Might Be a Giant monkey on your back. ------------------------------ From: "Mr. Me" Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 15:50:14 CST Subject: Re: TMBG: IFTS Message-ID: <5DFEEB60DE0@athena.valpo.edu> < From: djmagma@juno.com (Davin Q. Hutchingstone) Did TMBG break up? _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35749937.5D17@fuse.net> Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 17:30:47 -0700 From: jays your one-paged dictionary Organization: dial-a-song! 718-287-6962, narrrrrrrrr! Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #7-2 Davin Q. Hutchingstone wrote: > > Did TMBG break up? uh. no. ;) i believe you might be confusing the johns with geri spice. peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jay. -- jayhc--always accurate, constant, and intense. e-mail: sirjamez@fuse.net, phonebook@tmbg.org aol im: SaturnChrd, PhoneBookJ irc: PhoneBook "and sadly the cross-eyed bear's been put to sleep behind the stairs, and his shoes are laced with irony." --tmbg "Hey, some people take drugs and some people like to have sex all day, I like to watch my bees as I make music, so what." --steve vai -- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19980602170618.007de5f0@email.psu.edu> Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 17:06:18 -0400 From: "J. L. Moquin" Subject: Re: TMBG: IFTS Mr. Me wrote: >I wrote: >< ><....Isn't it? >< > >no, no, stealing is FUN! > >sorry, i couldn't resist. Thanks, I was hoping someone would pick up that straight line. :D -jennifer, mommy to alice the bean, 8/15/97 http://www.emprl.psu.edu/~anth/ mailto:jls5@psu.edu "Some women have reported problems using Reality." -- Instructions for the female condom ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35747187.653F8728@concentric.net> Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 16:41:27 -0500 From: Anastasia hunt Organization: BFE Productions Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #7-2 Davin Q. Hutchingstone wrote: > Did TMBG break up? WHAT? Oh god I hope not. Spike ------------------------------ From: MikeTMBG@aol.com Message-ID: <8fbb2d48.35747385@aol.com> Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 17:49:56 EDT Subject: TMBG: the John's music I have a question: could someone tell me what music the Johns listen to on their own time? Someone at school asked, and I didn't have an answer to give them. Being one of the two They fans in my school, I don't want to lose this chance to convert another fan. mike ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980602215024.006cc79c@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 16:50:24 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #7-2 At 05:15 PM 6/2/98 -0400, Davin Q. Hutchingstone wrote: >Did TMBG break up? > There once was a day a long time back. When this guy named Mike Leffel was on this here list. I'm sure he would of responded with something like this: There once was a day a long time back. When there was these two guys named John. They had a band called They Might Be Giants, they lived in brooklyn. One day John said to John, "Hey I think I'm gonna start a side band." He called that side band Hello: The band, but he thought the name silly so he renamed the band MonoPuff. They Might Be Giants have released 6 albums. Mono Puff have released two. So doing the math here: John + John * TMBG - Mono Puff + 6 - 2 = No they haven't broke up, where the hell did you get that Idea? The new album comes out some time this year, it is called Severe Tire Damage. :Yeah I'm sure he would of responded with something like that, only a whole hell of alot funnier. Thank you, LDB, Minister of the Church of Leffel (Up with annoyance) -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 18:06:53 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: 7 stages.... Message-ID: <19980602.180830.3310.0.gray42@juno.com> And don't forget the most dreaded stage, probably (hopefully) impossible to ever acheive... Stage 8 you've listened to the Giants soooooo much that you have become deaf to the music, it has become instinct, tradition to come home and pop in a giants CD, you don't get the same thrill you got the second time you listened to them. Not only does it become a self tradition, but you pass the giants down generation upon generation. The giants have become a family heirloom, even your will states clearly that you wish to be cremated with your favorite Giants shirt (not burried cause your paranoid about someone stealing it from your body) and some of your other favorite souveniers, cause you can't go to the afterlife w/ out them. Note: There are probably a lot more stages that are alot scarier than this. _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980602182632.00a69c80@mail.csrlink.net> Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 18:26:32 -0400 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: Re: TMBG: the John's music At 05:49 PM 6/2/98 EDT, you wrote: >I have a question: could someone tell me what music the Johns listen to on >their own time? Someone at school asked, and I didn't have an answer to give >them. Being one of the two They fans in my school, I don't want to lose this >chance to convert another fan. From a Real Audio interview, I know that Linnell listens to a band called Wilco, which formed from the remains of Uncle Tupelo. I'm sure he mentioned others, but that one stuck with me cause I have their CD. They also talk about what they listen to on the Frank O'Toole show, and offhand I can't think of any names, but they mentioned liking a lotta things from the UK. They Might Be Giants, as far as WE know, did not break up. Geri Spice (The one that was in Playboy.) left the Spice Girls. That will be all. But then again, Mike Leffel (Or at least a solid attempt at Mike Leffel. Hehe.) already explained that. Dylan "The Sixth Backstreet Boy" Flipse Dylan Flipse...one of them. - dflipse@csrlink.net Dylan's page is at http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ for now. I'll never see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed -They Might Be Giants, the coolest thing this side of Zaphod Beeblebrox. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 15:31:46 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: another i should be allowed... question Message-ID: I should be allowed to think is as far as I know (as a talking heads fan myself) completely original. ------------------------------ From: CajunGram@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 18:34:47 EDT Subject: TMBG: Re: 7 Stages In a message dated 98-06-02 18:26:41 EDT, you write: << And don't forget the most dreaded stage, probably (hopefully) impossible to ever acheive... Stage 8 you've listened to the Giants soooooo much that you have become deaf to the music, it has become instinct, tradition to come home and pop in a giants CD, you don't get the same thrill you got the second time you listened to them. Not only does it become a self tradition, but you pass the giants down generation upon generation. The giants have become a family heirloom, even your will states clearly that you wish to be cremated with your favorite Giants shirt (not burried cause your paranoid about someone stealing it from your body) and some of your other favorite souveniers, cause you can't go to the afterlife w/ out them. Note: There are probably a lot more stages that are alot scarier than this. >> And stage nine... Where you compile all of your TMBG paraphanalia, CD's, Singles, T-Shirts, Posters... and then you burn it all and try and mainline the residue so you can get a quicker buzz, because it seems to you that your ears just don't register the pleasure fast enough anymore... Graham "Don't hate me 'cause I'm beautiful, hate me 'cause I'm contributing to this thread" Amsden [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (message/rfc822)] ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 19:07:36 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Woodward Subject: Re: TMBG: National Accordian Awareness Month Message-ID: On Mon, 1 Jun 1998 KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: > I just found out on the Moxy Fruvous newsgroup, that june is officially > National Accordian Awareness Month here in the US. Let me add my contribution to the month by making everyone aware of the spelling of the word: it's accordiOn. :-) * ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Josh Woodward, CheEsy Fru. joshw@mail.bgsu.edu Web Site and Tape List: http://www.dc-adnet.com/joshw/ "Now in the band, we don't waste time, ee like to create instead - Little symphonies called 'All Hail The Fruhead'." - Moxy Fruvous ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980602193155.00690be4@pop.indy.net> Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 19:31:55 -0400 From: rachel Subject: Re: TMBG: the John's music At 05:49 PM 6/2/98 EDT, you wrote: >I have a question: could someone tell me what music the Johns listen to on >their own time? Someone at school asked, and I didn't have an answer to give >them. Being one of the two They fans in my school, I don't want to lose this >chance to convert another fan. > >mike > > ok, direct (pasted) from the tmbg.com q&a, here it is: What are some of your favorite music groups? linnell: "I like The Beatles, Ramones, Residents, XTC, Comedian Harmonists (from Germany), The Smiths, Band of Weeds, The Pixies, The Kinks, Constance Towers (a Japanese band), The Beach Boys, Elvis Costello and the Attractions, Prince and the Revolution, Chris Hogwood and the Academy of Ancient Music, The Raspberries, The Harmonicats, Pere Ubu, Fletcher Henderson and his Orchestra, other things I can't remember..." flansburgh: "My personal musical obsessions are pretty relentless and dull. As a child I grew up with a transistor radio tuned to Top 40 waiting for Beatles and British Invasion songs, with my folks playing Joan Baez and Cambridge folkies on the hi-fi. Currently, I have an on-going obsession with Sammy Davis Jr. and Frank Sinatra, along with R&B and soul songs from the '60s and '70s (exceptionally well compiled by Rhino). I enjoyed the Green Day album, and got our drummer Brian to pull out his Weezer tape a million times on this last tour to listen to that "Buddy Holly" song for its Brian Wilson-like vibe. Recently I've been listening to this great collection of songs by Allen Toussaint (a New Orleans R&B and pop record producer/pianist who made a few very cool records over the course of the Seventies.) I really dug the last Superchunk LP and recently got the new Guided by Voices album. In the past I have been into early Mills Bros. (their pre-band, 30's era stuff) and Tennessee Ernie Ford." meow, rachel ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <788952da.35749d40@aol.com> Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 20:47:59 EDT Subject: Re: Re: TMBG: the John's music In a message dated 6/2/98 8:35:55 PM, you wrote: >Prince and the Revolution I remember reading this in the FAQ... I can't picture Linnell liking this.. :) I just can't see him... you know, maybe singing along at home all by himself.. "little red corvette..." hehehe.. :) sarah http://lava.home.ml.org not that there's anything wrong with that. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980603021137.0096e5d4@pop.cwru.edu> Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 19:11:37 -0700 From: SpiderEyes Subject: TMBG: Hideaway Folk Family Okay, where's a sixth stage addict who can tell me what a Hideaway Folk Family is? - SpiderEyes -------------- She's nice. I don't think there are enough nice people in comics. Just people you'd like to hang out with and spend time with. And I think Death's one of those. - Neil Gaiman ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 21:43:10 -0500 (CDT) From: "Christopher M. Stangl" Subject: Re: TMBG: non-tmbg : soul coughing Message-ID: On Sun, 31 May 1998 tmbgirl@juno.com wrote: > all that i had heard by soul coughing was their hello cd of the month cd > (which, imho, wasn't that great). You wouldn't want to dub it for any SoulCoughers who didn't happen to get the Hello CD, would you?.... > But i got this dr. martens cd sampler > (which is super cool) and it has their song 'soft serve' on there and i > was wondering if any of you that are a little more familiar with the band > could tell me if the 'irresistable bliss' album is more like the hello > disc or the song... "Soft Serve" is ON "Irresistible Bliss", so... I think it's pretty representative of the album. Soul Coughing is one of the few bands where you can't ask me the question "What are your favorite songs on the album?" They're ALL my favorite songs, with few being better or worse than the others. As "Soft Serve" is brilliant, so is every other track on "Irresistible"... one of the few Perfect Albums in existence. > (is there another album?) Two albums- "Ruby Vroom" and "Irresistible Bliss" have been released, in that order. The monstrous third, "El Oso", will be pawing its way out of the cage in August. > would any of you that have any of their albums suggest buying them? I suggest buying BOTH albums. And snatch up any singles you see available. And their incomparable "Unmarked Helicopters" blew the rest of the contents of the "X-Files" soundtrack "Songs in the Key of X" out of the water (and their mind-bending "16 Horses" is on the "X-Files" movie soundtrack). AND don't miss their best-reason-to-buy-the-album contributions to the "Spawn" and "Batman and Robin" soundtracks. -Chris Stangl ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 22:11:05 -0500 (CDT) From: "Christopher M. Stangl" Subject: Re: TMBG: another i should be allowed... question Message-ID: On Tue, 2 Jun 1998, Ben Knowles wrote: > one of my tmbg-freak friends told me that ISBATT is a remake of an old song > by the talking heads. she insisted on it. i was like "no." i knew about the > allen ginsberg line. does anyone know anything about a talking heads > connection? she's a huge fan, so i'm not going to disregard it entirely... You can very safely tell her "no". "I Should Be Allowed To Think" is in no way a cover, rip-off, or re-working of any song in the entire Talking Heads catalogue. There is a very off chance she could be confused in one of the following ways: -The T-Heads song "I Zimbra" takes its lyrics from a Hugo Ball poem... The TMBG song "I Should Be Allowed To Think" uses a line from Allen Ginsberg's poem "Howl". -Talking Heads titles which could possibly vaguely sound remotely like "I Should Be Allowed to Think": ="I Wish You Wouldn't Say That" ="I Want To Live" ="I'm Not In Love" ="I Get Wild/ Wild Gravity" -Talking Heads lyrics which might possibly sound like sort of kind of like lines from "I Should Be Allowed To Think" ="I don't have to prove that I am creative" ("Artists Only") ="Burned all my notebooks, what good are notebooks" ("Life During Wartime") ="I'll be here all the time, I can never quit" ("Memories can't Wait) ="Call this the law of justice, call this freedom and liberty/ I thought I'd perjure myself, right in front of the jury! This is a crime against the state/ This is the verdict they reach/ Someone controls electric guitar" ("ElectricGuitar") ="Fire cannot hurt a man! Not the Government Man!" ("Born UnderPunches) ="For a long time I felt without style or grace" ("Houses in Motion") ="Some things can never be spoken" ("[Give Me Back My] Name") -Talking Heads songs with vague thematic links with "I Should Be Allowed to Think": ="Puzzling Evidence" (government conspiracy) ="Life During Wartime" (government oppression) ="Don't Worry About The Government" (naivette in political cause) ="The Big Country" (what's wrong with America) ="Totally Nude" (goofy liberal extremes) ="(Nothing But) Flowers" (activism gone awry) ="The Democratic Circus" (metaphors unveiled) ="Bill" (stupid but motivated "heros") Other than that, I haven't a clue what she's talking about -Chris Stangl ------------------------------ From: Drayco@aol.com Message-ID: <4d2f586f.3574c746@aol.com> Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 23:47:17 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: 7 Stages In a message dated 98-06-02 18:38:12 EDT, Graham wrote: > And stage nine... Where you compile all of your TMBG paraphanalia, CD's, > Singles, T-Shirts, Posters... and then you burn it all and try and mainline > the residue so you can get a quicker buzz, because it seems to you that > your > ears just don't register the pleasure fast enough anymore... > Not to mention, the dreaded Sage Ten. You have done everything humanly possible to express your love of TMBG. You've have everything the Johns have ever recorded, including their version of that Yoko Ono song they recorded in high school. You have seen every TMBG concert since the band formed, and you are building a time machine, so that you can see the Mundanes perform. At this point, you cease to have physical form. You exist solely as TMBenerGee. Wherever fans congregate to listen to TMBG music, you''l be there. The only person with the ability to see you will be Linnell, and he will stare at you through every show. --Jamal ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 3 Jun 98 00:11 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: the John's music Wasn't there something in a later info club about Linnell visiting a church that treated John Coltrane as a saint? I seem to vaguely remember him saying somewhere he liked Coltrane.. or perhaps I'm pasting my own likes onto Linny. ;) Kirsten -- `'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`' "I have a great imaginary world, but, um, sometimes I need things to happen for real." - Ally McBeal Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #7-3 ****************************