Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #7-5 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 7, Number 5 Friday, 5 June 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #7-4 Re: TMBG: TMBG videos TMBG: Dialasong.com & those darn levels of fandom.... TMBG: Re: TMBG videos TMBG: Re: Super Secret Hidden Song TMBG: Super Secret Song 2? Re: TMBG: Dialasong.com & those darn levels of fandom.... TMBG: Re: TMBG videos Re: TMBG: Dialasong.com & those darn levels of fandom.... TMBG: Re: TMBG videos TMBG: The Johns' Homes Re: TMBG: The Johns' Homes Re: TMBG: Super Secret Song 2? TMBG: Severe Tire Damage release date Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG videos TMBG: Moxy Fruvous/Live Noise/John Linnell TMBG: Re: TMBG videos Re: TMBG: Dialasong.com & those darn levels of fandom.... Re: TMBG: The Johns' Homes Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG videos TMBG: Web-sights TMBG: Re: TMBG videos Re: TMBG: Web-sights TMBG: The John's addresses... TMBG: The land of the free, and the home of the Johns Re: TMBG: The land of the free, and the home of the Johns Re: TMBG: The land of the free, and the home of the Johns Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: MikeTMBG@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 07:40:12 EDT Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #7-4 In a message dated 98-06-04 02:06:29 EDT, you write: >BTW, this was on the tmbg.org musings board, but does anyone else think >that the original, unreleased Rabid Child video ought to be put on the >Giant Cam part of tmbg.com? > > yes mike ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: <3234c634.3576b236@aol.com> Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 10:41:57 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG videos << Does anyone agree that They should put the TMBG video tape back into production? Or at least put Their videos on VH1!!!! >> Not sure if this has been answered yet, but there's a new video comp coming out this summer with _all_ of their videos--stay tuned! Kay ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot@aol.com Message-ID: <5f3151da.3576ce8b@aol.com> Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 12:42:50 EDT Subject: TMBG: Dialasong.com & those darn levels of fandom.... Ok, sorry about that dialasong mix up, gues I read it wrong....whoops.... Secondly, someone siad the Johns have been to all the TMBG shows, this is oddly enough, not true. Flans has done shows without Linnell when Linnell was sick (I may be wrong, but I believe this is true).... Oh, yeah & I was playing name that tune in school & I was proud to identify Those Darn Accordians "Baba O'Reily" (sp?)....it was truely a team effort....I wish they played more tracks like that, but most things played were No Doubt or the Rolling Stones... jason "darn those accordians" glastetter ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3576EFE4.5BE8B985@qn.net> Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 15:05:08 -0400 From: Diana Kocar Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG videos Does anyone agree that They should put the TMBG video tape back into production? Or at least put Their videos on VH1!!!! Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com Actually, I just got in the mail yesterday the They Might Be Giants Video Compilation from 1991, made in Japan. You can order it from CDnow (www.cdnow.com). Granted, it cost me about 40 bucks and took about two months to recieve after I ordered it, but it is worth it! I've never really been able to see Their videos before I got this, except for little clips that I downloaded off the internet. Anyone else have this tape? What do you think? I've been wondering about the theme of the "old man" that appears in nearly every song on the video. Anybody know about this? Diana [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ From: jcogliano@andover.edu Message-Id: <199806041902.PAA02696@gaea.andover.edu> Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 16:12:01 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Re: Super Secret Hidden Song > Do you know about the secret song on the factory showroom CD is?? Play >track #1 (SEXXY) and while it's playing, press AND hold REWIND and watch >'till it goes to -1:00 then release to lsten to "Token Back To >Brooklyn". Happy listning.I'M SORRY ABOUT MY TYPING >ERRORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 > >Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com ----------- Now try this with It's Fun To Steal... -Cogs ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980604202355.28906.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: TMBG: Super Secret Song 2? Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 13:23:55 PDT Does anyone know if there is an alternative (different) secret song on any of the other TMBG albums????? Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 16:43:10 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Dialasong.com & those darn levels of fandom.... Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 4-Jun-98 TMBG: Dialasong.com & those.. by Happyfroot@aol.com > Secondly, someone siad the Johns have been to all the TMBG shows, this is > oddly enough, not true. Flans has done shows without Linnell when Linnell was > sick (I may be wrong, but I believe this is true).... Linnell was on stage for that one, though... there was, however, a show in December, 1994, where Linnell had made plans to be in Europe with his girlfriend, and someone scheduled a concert without telling him... so Flans did a lot more of his songs, and Frank Black sang a few of Linnell's songs. I'm not sure what they did about the keyboard stuff, though... the show was called "They Might Be Frank." Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Everything sticks until it goes away, * This space inadvertently And the truth is we don't know anything." -TMBG * left blank. ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 15:30:48 -0600 Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG videos Message-ID: <19980604.153123.11222.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> >Actually, I just got in the mail yesterday the They Might Be Giants >Video Compilation from 1991, made in Japan. You can order it from >CDnow >(www.cdnow.com). Granted, it cost me about 40 bucks and took about >two >months to recieve after I ordered it, but it is worth it! whoawhoa now! Why would you pay $40 just to see 6 of their videos when you could ask any bootleger (with the capability to dub videos) to make you a copy of the "ultimate video collection" which has all of the videos (not just the 6). which would cost you nothing more than the tape and postage (possibly another tape if they do 2:1 trades). or you could just buy the bootleg videos from russ... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 15:31:00 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Dialasong.com & those darn levels of fandom.... Message-ID: <19980604.153123.11222.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> >Secondly, someone siad the Johns have been to all the TMBG shows, this >is >oddly enough, not true. Flans has done shows without Linnell when >Linnell was >sick (I may be wrong, but I believe this is true).... well... aside from the "they might be frank" incident the only thing i can think of is interviews without the other one there, and yes, they have indeed played songs without the other one there (off the top of my head 8/29/97 with flans and some other candian thing where flans plays hcislag) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35771544.FFF47580@qn.net> Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 17:44:37 -0400 From: Diana Kocar Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG videos > whoawhoa now! Why would you pay $40 just to see 6 of their videos when > you could ask any bootleger (with the capability to dub videos) to make > you a copy of the "ultimate video collection" which has all of the videos > (not just the 6). which would cost you nothing more than the tape and > postage (possibly another tape if they do 2:1 trades). > or you could just buy the bootleg videos from russ... > > take it easy, JOrdaN > http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html Hey. Wow. Well I didn't really know any bootleggers...or that they even existed I guess...How would one go about ordering a video from the above-mentioned site? They didn't seem to want to sell, only trade. Diana ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980604215255.14998.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: TMBG: The Johns' Homes Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 14:52:54 PDT Well, I have rescently gotten into the art of autograph collecting, and when I descided to collect, one thing stood in my mind: get the Johns' addresses. Since then, I have collected David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson(The X-Files), Bill Gates(If you have Windows, you already know him), and Jennifer Aniston. But I STILL don't have the Johns' address, so I've no way of writing them to ask for their autographs. Does anyone know how to contact Them??? Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: Superman25@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 18:10:54 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: The Johns' Homes hi. >Well, I have rescently gotten into the art of autograph collecting, and >when I descided to collect, one thing stood in my mind: get the Johns' >addresses. Since then, I have collected David Duchovny and Gillian >Anderson(The X-Files), Bill Gates(If you have Windows, you already know >him), and Jennifer Aniston. But I STILL don't have the Johns' address, >so I've no way of writing them to ask for their autographs. Does anyone >know how to contact Them??? i personally don't see the appeal of having someone write down their name on piece of paper is, but that just me. there is no real address you can write to. i'm sure that the johns wouldn't be too happy if some fan got a hold of their addresses and sent letters begging them for autographs. sending it to the info club seems rather futile. they really don't have that much to do with it. your best bet is go to show after show and just hang around afterwards. flans is more the likely of the two to hang out after a show. as for the bootleg videos, the address for the bootleg video project is: http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/7158/tmbg.htm adam schaaf, who will gladly give anyone his autograph if they want it. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 15:18:36 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: Super Secret Song 2? Message-ID: no, there isn't ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 17:57:12 -0500 (CDT) Message-Id: <199806042257.RAA13150@stan.lcc.net> From: The Denominator Subject: TMBG: Severe Tire Damage release date hey boys and squids, I just got information about Severe Tire Damage, straight from Restless Records. According to them, STD will be released on August 11, and there will be a tour to support it. (I am also getting a promo copy and an interview with Them as a reward for my journalistic diligence, i guess). As usual, releases are subject to delay, but this is the first official word that I have heard. I will let you giys know more when I hear anything. The D. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980604190555.00695654@pop.indy.net> Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 19:05:55 -0400 From: rachel Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG videos diana wrote: >Anyone else have this tape? What do you think? I've been wondering >about the theme of the "old man" that appears in nearly every song on the >video. Anybody know about this? yeah! i too have the video comp and have noticed the reoccuring old man theme. it seems that there is a picture (or part of a picture) of him in every video except they'll need a crane, which features actual old men playing in the band. well, and then i don't think there's any old men in istanbul but thats the only exception. could be wrong though, i'll have to go back and look. there is also a reoccuring theme with flans & pipes, weird robotic dancing (which i have now memorized), and maps. i find the whole old man thing to be the creepiest though- in a good way...:) meow, rachel ------------------------------ From: CajunGram@aol.com Message-ID: <8b82724.35773928@aol.com> Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 20:17:43 EDT Subject: TMBG: Moxy Fruvous/Live Noise/John Linnell Call me a nut, but in the live version of King of Spain (no not the wonky one), when they say "Don't mention Lisa," it really sounds like John Linnell in Why Does The Sun Shine, during the parts where he is saying facts about the sun... Weirdness... Graham "Are you going to eat that?" Amsden ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 20:18:49 -0600 Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG videos Message-ID: <19980604.201857.12190.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> I've been wondering >>about the theme of the "old man" that appears in nearly every song on >the >>video. Anybody know about this? yoyo... anyone know his name? william allen white? take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 20:16:34 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Dialasong.com & those darn levels of fandom.... Message-ID: <19980604.201857.12190.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> On Thu, 4 Jun 1998 19:15:03 EDT Happyfroot@aol.com writes: >There was also an in studio one with WFNX & just Flans...it's not >technically >a show, but he played two songs, so...well...I'll count it.... yeah, the 8/29/97show didn't i already say that? hey guess what guys?!?! there's a secret song on factory showroom! take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Strawbos69@aol.com Message-ID: <69269ff0.35775ded@aol.com> Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 22:54:36 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: The Johns' Homes In a message dated 98-06-04 17:54:06 EDT, dilbert_2000@hotmail.com writes: << Does anyone know how to contact Them??? >> They both live on Mars and don't have a mailbox. The phone lines were knocked out during the last windstorm, and the sun wreaks havoc on their satellite systems. So, your best bet is still seeing them at a concert. "Don't make me kill you again" ------------------------------ From: Strawbos69@aol.com Message-ID: <1cef8974.35775fa0@aol.com> Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 23:01:51 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG videos In a message dated 98-06-04 22:43:09 EDT, you write: << yoyo... anyone know his name? william allen white? >> BAM! Yes, that's him! >>hey guess what guys?!?! there's a secret song on factory showroom! << NO WAY! I'm going to bed now.... "Don't make me kill you, again" ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980605040527.19067.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: TMBG: Web-sights Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 21:05:27 PDT Has anyone noticed that the un-official site is better than the official? www.tmbg.com sux big time. What a useless sight!!!!! Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 23:59:21 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG videos Message-ID: <19980605.000203.10262.1.gray42@juno.com> On Thu, 04 Jun 1998 19:05:55 -0400 rachel writes: >diana wrote: >>Anyone else have this tape? What do you think? I've been wondering >>about the theme of the "old man" that appears in nearly every song on >the >>video. Anybody know about this? > >yeah! i too have the video comp and have noticed the reoccuring old >man >theme. it seems that there is a picture (or part of a picture) of him >in >every video except they'll need a crane, which features actual old men >playing in the band. well, and then i don't think there's any old men >in >istanbul but thats the only exception. could be wrong though, i'll >have to >go back and look. there is also a reoccuring theme with flans & pipes, >weird robotic dancing (which i have now memorized), and maps. i find >the >whole old man thing to be the creepiest though- in a good way...:) > >meow, >rachel It's a CONSPIRACY! BWAHAHAHAHA P.S. My friend, a TMBG fan, likes to draw wrinkled OLD hermaphrodites. hmmmmmmm... Mysterio Gal (who wishes her middle name was paranoia, but that already belongs to Mr. G.) " Have I been there? I live there! I made The School, I am The School! Anything that goes on there, they tell me first, I'm the boss, I control what goes on in the whole place. If you want to take a piss, you gotta ask me first." --Pitts ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 00:15:02 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Web-sights Message-ID: <19980605.001531.10262.2.gray42@juno.com> BWEEPBWEEPBWEEPBWEEPBWEEPBWEEPBWEEPBWEEPBWEEPBWEEPBWEEPBWE Thou hath muttered the forbidden phrase of the day. And I sayeth thissssseth in mine most humbleth of oppinionethpthpthpthpth. (Thoughest thou is entitled to thy oppinionsthththth aseth welleth) I must sayeth that the sitith provideth catalogseth unable to be aquired througheth the snailesthth of maileth, and greateth wallpapereth to decorate thine PC! Mysterio Gal (whose computer after all the thtpthpth is now covered in a fine layer of spit) " Have I been there? I live there! I made The School, I am The School! Anything that goes on there, they tell me first, I'm the boss, I control what goes on in the whole place. If you want to take a piss, you gotta ask me first." --Pitts ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <003f01bd903d$8caa0780$a9321ed1@refund.rcn.nmt.edu> From: "Refund" Subject: TMBG: The John's addresses... Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 22:51:03 -0600 Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't, a while back, somebody do a 'whois' on some site or another (tmbg.org, perhaps) and come up with a PO Box for one of the Johns? Thought I'd seen something to that effect, and saved the message, though I can't seem to find it atm. Signed, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the state of New Mexico. And whoever said there's nothing new under the sun never thought much about individuals, but he's dead anyway. The Refreshments -- Down Together. P.S. Visit www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Amphitheatre/5550/ The first Julie Plug tribute page in HISTORY!!! :0) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <006101bd903d$ca671540$a9321ed1@refund.rcn.nmt.edu> From: "Refund" Subject: TMBG: The land of the free, and the home of the Johns Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 22:52:47 -0600 Ah...here it is. -----Original Message----- From: Adam Tyner To: tmbg-list@.org Date: Tuesday, May 05, 1998 10:52 AM Subject: TMBG: Dialasong.com!!! >I ran a whois on dialasong.com and got the following: > >John Flansburg (DIALASONG-DOM) > P.O. Box 176 > Palisades, NY 10964 > US > > Domain Name: DIALASONG.COM > > Administrative Contact, Technical Contact, Zone Contact: > Bicknell, Leo (LB192) bicknell@UFP.ORG > (703) 430-2980 > Billing Contact: > Flansburg, John (JF5876) tmbg@J51.COM > 914-359-4792 > > Record last updated on 14-Feb-98. > Record created on 14-Feb-98. > Database last updated on 5-May-98 03:38:14 EDT. > > Domain servers in listed order: > > USSENTERPRISE.UFP.ORG 209.12.7.40 > PUMA.MACBSD.COM 198.82.200.98 > BLACK-ICE.CC.VT.EDU 128.173.14.71 > > >The InterNIC Registration Services Host contains ONLY non-military Domains and >POC's. Other associated whois servers: > American Registry for Internet Numbers whois server - whois.arin.net > European IP Address Allocations whois server - whois.ripe.net > Asia Pacific IP Address Allocations whois server - whois.apnic.net > US Military whois server - whois.nic.mil > >I can't wait for www.dialasong.com to be up and running... ;) BTW, I >thought it was FlansburgH... :P > >TTYL, > >-Adam >/----=========================================================----\ > http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ >The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! > Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3577A9CD.2533@fuse.net> Date: Fri, 05 Jun 1998 01:18:21 -0700 From: jays your one-paged dictionary Organization: dial-a-song! 718-287-6962, narrrrrrrrr! Subject: Re: TMBG: The land of the free, and the home of the Johns Refund wrote: > > Flansburg, John (JF5876) tmbg@J51.COM > > 914-359-4792 somebody with guts hasta call that number and ask if his refrigerator is running. peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jay. i owe some of you letters.. one in particular. forgive my laziness.. :( soon, i say, soon ... forgive me. ------------------------------ From: Strawbos69@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 01:48:27 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: The land of the free, and the home of the Johns In a message dated 98-06-05 01:16:28 EDT, you write: << somebody with guts hasta call that number and ask if his refrigerator is running. >> Free when you call from work! :) ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #7-5 ****************************