Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #7-6 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 7, Number 6 Saturday, 6 June 1998 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Dialasong.com TMBG: Soldiers to meet Them Re: TMBG: The Johns' Homes TMBG: WHFS!!! TMBG: Moxy & TMBG connections Re: TMBG: Web-sights Re: TMBG: Moxy & TMBG connections TMBG: a comment... Re: TMBG: Web-sights Re: Semi-TMBG: Moxy & TMBG connections Re: TMBG: a comment... Re: TMBG: Web-sights Re: TMBG: Web-sights Re: TMBG: The land of the free, and the home of the Johns TMBG: non-tmbg: the muffs Re: TMBG: The land of the free, and the home of the Johns TMBG: NEW TOURDATES!!! Re: TMBG: The land of the free, and the home of the Johns Re: TMBG: The land of the free, and the home of the Johns Non TMBG: Dragon Con Re: TMBG: The land of the free, and the home of the Johns TMBG: In My Defense Re: TMBG: In My Defense Re: TMBG: In My Defense Re: TMBG: The land of the free, and the home of the Johns Re: TMBG: In My Defense Re: TMBG: In My Defense Re: TMBG: In My Defense Re: TMBG: In My Defense Re: TMBG: In My Defense Re: TMBG: In My Defense Re: TMBG: Soldiers to meet Them Re: TMBG: In My Defense Re: TMBG: WHFS!!! Re: TMBG: The land of the free, and the home of the Johns RE: TMBG: Re: TMBG videos Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 06:34:51 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Woodward Subject: Re: TMBG: Dialasong.com Message-ID: LOL, damn, they're good. Try going to http://www.dialasong.com/dial/ for a nice secret message. (or /anything/) * ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Josh Woodward, CheEsy Fru. joshw@mail.bgsu.edu Web Site and Tape List: http://www.dc-adnet.com/joshw/ "Now in the band, we don't waste time, we like to create instead - Little symphonies called 'All Hail The Fruhead'." - Moxy Fruvous "I had good muffins in high school." -- Jen Lyons ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3577E625.C938309E@ibm.net> Date: Fri, 05 Jun 1998 08:35:50 -0400 From: Robyn Miller Subject: TMBG: Soldiers to meet Them I am seriously thinking about creating a TMBG club here at the University of Georgia. Anyone have suggestions or know anyone that goes to school here that may want to join? Actually, I'm not quite sure how to go about doing this yet. But I've got my mind set now that I will. Oh, btw, I thought "Soldiers to meet Them" would be a nifty title for us. Please nobody steal my club name. ;) Anyone know of any cooler names for the club? -Robyn- P.S.-- Happy Birthday to me! Happy Birthday to me! Happy Birthday dear meeeeee! Happy Birthday to me! (sorry, but I need to boost my ego once in a while you know!) :) ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <1d1398df.357800aa@aol.com> Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 10:28:57 EDT Subject: Re: Re: TMBG: The Johns' Homes In a message dated 6/4/98 6:12:25 PM, you wrote: >best bet is go to show after show and just hang around afterwards. flans is >more the likely of the two to hang out after a show. if they're not around, find their manager and ask if he can take something backstage for john and john to sign. the drummer and bass player will stick around... whoever they may be at that time. (i've met brian doherty, graham maby, dan hickey, and hal cragin) added another set of moxy fruvous autographs to her collection last night, sarah linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <4pS06gS00WB=0_1kk0@andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 10:33:16 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: TMBG: WHFS!!! hey, everyone in the DC/MD/VA area, listen to WHFS lots this weekend - they're going through their *entire* library in alphabetical order by song title. I must have missed Ana Ng and Birdhouse, but I just heard Don't Let's Start (no Dr. Worm yet :) and expect to hear The Guitar, Istanbul, maybe I Palindrome I, Snail Shell, and The Statue Got Me High... maybe even Hotel Detective (anything they made a single of, really... Sleeping in the Flowers and NyQuil Driver may show up, too...) just thought I'd share this wonderful TMBG on the radio tidbit... :) Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Everything sticks until it goes away, * This space inadvertently And the truth is we don't know anything." -TMBG * left blank. ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 10:49:53 EDT Subject: TMBG: Moxy & TMBG connections In a message dated 6/4/98 8:18:50 PM, you wrote: >Call me a nut, but in the live version of King of Spain (no not the wonky >one), when they say "Don't mention Lisa," it really sounds like John Linnell >in Why Does The Sun Shine, during the parts where he is saying facts about the >sun... Weirdness... hmm.. i never thought about that, but i'm so tuned into Murray's voice that I never would have thought that in the first place. :) another moxy covering tmbg story: some kid at last night's moxy show asked Mike Ford somethign about TMBG, and he said on a cd by a band called Davinci's Notebook (I know I've heard of them on here..) moxy covers shoehorn with teeth!:) anyone have this cd? :) and if you keep reading this far.. jian of moxy as soon as he saw me saw me called me "sarah linnell.. linnellgirl"... he knew from the last show my name was sarah, but the only way he knew my "linnellgirl" name was from the newsgroup (i never told him..), which i find really weird because he *still* knew which sarah i was... funny eh? ah well, watch what you say on the moxy newsgroup. :] sarah http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <5de766a.357808ba@aol.com> Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 11:02:53 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Web-sights In a message dated 6/4/98 12:07:13 AM, dilbert_2000@hotmail.com wrote: >Has anyone noticed that the un-official site is better than the >official? www.tmbg.com sux big time. What a useless sight!!!!! well I wouldn't say tmbg.com "sucks"... it just offers different things. tmbg.org is obviously a fan-based site, so there's more fan-based things there. it's not "useless"... there's plenty of things there, like articles by John and John, video clips, tour dates, etc.. sarah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980605112828.00aea9c0@mail.csrlink.net> Date: Fri, 05 Jun 1998 11:28:28 -0400 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: Re: TMBG: Moxy & TMBG connections At 10:49 AM 6/5/98 EDT, you wrote: >some kid at last night's moxy show asked Mike Ford somethign about TMBG, and >he said on a cd by a band called Davinci's Notebook (I know I've heard of them >on here..) moxy covers shoehorn with teeth!:) anyone have this cd? :) > Ohhhhh, I do! It's fun, good times. The guys in Da Vinci's Notebook have a GREAT sense of humor. I think the CD is about half cover songs, including Shoehorn With Teeth, The I Dream of Jeanie theme, Sittin on the Dock of the May, Mickey Mouse Club song, Stuck in the Middle With You, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band/With A Little Help From My Friends, and Blue Moon. And then they have some really good songs of their own. Oh, and of course, it's all a cappella. Very cool. Get it, or at least go to http://www.davincisnotebook.com. Dylan "Woodstock Wasn't Diddly Squat, But Mike Leffel Was" Flipse Dylan Flipse...one of them. - dflipse@csrlink.net Dylan's page is at http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ for now. I'll never see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed -They Might Be Giants, the coolest thing this side of Zaphod Beeblebrox. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 05 Jun 1998 12:43:29 -0500 (EST) From: Nub Subject: TMBG: a comment... Message-id: i would just like to mention that there are some people on this list (okay, like one person) who have consistently been very inconsiderate and judgemental and just plain rude to new-comers. not everyone has been a fan as long as you have. this is supposed to be an online community - try treating people with some respect. long live the lost spice, ben ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@.com Message-ID: <5de766a.357824bf@aol.com> Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 11:02:53 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Web-sights In a message dated 6/4/98 12:07:13 AM, dilbert_2000@hotmail.com wrote: >Has anyone noticed that the un-official site is better than the >official? www.tmbg.com sux big time. What a useless sight!!!!! well I wouldn't say tmbg.com "sucks"... it just offers different things. tmbg.org is obviously a fan-based site, so there's more fan-based things there. it's not "useless"... there's plenty of things there, like articles by John and John, video clips, tour dates, etc.. sarah ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 05 Jun 1998 12:46:38 -0500 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: Semi-TMBG: Moxy & TMBG connections Message-id: <35782EFE.A8729056@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: > > In a message dated 6/4/98 8:18:50 PM, you wrote: > some kid at last night's moxy show asked Mike Ford somethign about TMBG, and > he said on a cd by a band called Davinci's Notebook (I know I've heard of them > on here..) moxy covers shoehorn with teeth!:) anyone have this cd? :) I do! I do! Bendy's Law. It's good upbeat tunes with great harmonies. Check out http://www.davincisnotebook.com for details. People should get beat up for skating like the Leafs. > > and if you keep reading this far.. > jian of moxy as soon as he saw me saw me called me "sarah linnell.. > linnellgirl"... he knew from the last show my name was sarah, but the only way > he knew my "linnellgirl" name was from the newsgroup (i never told him..), > which i find really weird because he *still* knew which sarah i was... funny > eh? ah well, watch what you say on the moxy newsgroup. :] Actually, Ji does read the a.m.mf pretty regulary. He knows lotsa people by screen names. - Chad "Media Lab, Media Lab, advertises just smash and grab. Do you need that? I don't need that. Don't need Media Lab." Maloney ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 11:57:37 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: a comment... Message-ID: <19980605.115743.18478.4.TMBgirl@juno.com> >i would just like to mention that there are some people on this list >(okay, like one person) who have consistently been very inconsiderate >and >judgemental and just plain rude to new-comers yeah, but when things are on the FAQ it does get reeeally repetetive... it only takes a couple of minutes to go through and read the FAQ and it does save a lot of space on the mailing list as well as a lot of "old" posters time... i'm not really complaining... i like the newbies... they keep me entertained. :P take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::the first to let you know that i am a bitch::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980605181740.00698648@pop.indy.net> Date: Fri, 05 Jun 1998 18:17:40 -0400 From: rachel Subject: Re: TMBG: Web-sights > >In a message dated 6/4/98 12:07:13 AM, dilbert_2000@hotmail.com wrote: > >>Has anyone noticed that the un-official site is better than the >>official? www.tmbg.com sux big time. What a useless sight!!!!! > sarah wrote: >well I wouldn't say tmbg.com "sucks"... it just offers different things. >tmbg.org is obviously a fan-based site, so there's more fan-based things >there. > >it's not "useless"... there's plenty of things there, like articles by John >and John, video clips, tour dates, etc.. > yeah, and barbara glauber designed it (see: factory showroom, unsupervised, ifts and the devil ep) so it is phat ass. i better not hear anyone else knocking it or i will have to bust skulls..:) meow, rachel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980605193512.0069d4e4@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Fri, 05 Jun 1998 19:35:12 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Web-sights At 06:17 PM 6/5/98 -0400, rachel wrote: > >yeah, and barbara glauber designed it (see: factory showroom, unsupervised, >ifts and the devil ep) so it is phat ass. i better not hear anyone else >knocking it or i will have to bust skulls..:) Although I really don't care for the current design, I think the tmbg.com site is great for people who aren't at the insane level of fandom most of us have reached. I don't think there's any one site that has everything, although tmbg.org is pretty darn close. :) -Adam /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 19:58:41 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <3.0.16.19980605195628.359f02b6@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu> From: Harry Subject: Re: TMBG: The land of the free, and the home of the Johns At 01:48 AM 6/5/98 -0400, you wrote: >In a message dated 98-06-05 01:16:28 EDT, you write: > ><< > somebody with guts hasta call that number and ask if his refrigerator is > running. > >> > >Free when you call from work! :) Call me an idiot, but here it is: 3 rings, a pick-up. Sounds of many, many people in the room. Can't tell if it is an office or a party. Voice: Hello? Me: Hi, Is John there? Voice: John? Me: Flansburgh? VOice: Who is this? Me: This is Hair. Voice: Hair? Me: Yeah. Voice: No, John Flansburgh is not here, nor was he meant to be here. Is this a friend of his? Me: I was kinda hoping. Voice: Is this a fan? Me: Big fan! Voice: Where did you get this number? Me: You get this number if you do a 'whois' on dialasong.com. Voice: O.K. Thanks for the tip. Hair Knight "Life is what happens when you're Knight.49@osu.edu busy making other plans" Justahobby@tmbg.org -John Lennon http://members.tripod.com/~jahobby ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 5 Jun 98 20:09 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg: the muffs Hey, I'm looking for Muffs tabs/chords/etc, and I've only found about three on OLGA.. This is probably pretty fruitless, but is there a site out there somewhere I missed? Kirsten the Hopeful -- `'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`' "I have a great imaginary world, but, um, sometimes I need things to happen for real." - Ally McBeal Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 20:10:09 EDT Subject: Re: Re: TMBG: The land of the free, and the home of the Johns In a message dated 6/5/98 7:59:15 PM, you wrote: > >3 rings, a pick-up. Sounds of many, many people in the room. Can't tell >if it is an office or a party. >Voice: Hello? >Me: Hi, Is John there? >Voice: John? >Me: Flansburgh? >VOice: Who is this? >Me: This is Hair. >Voice: Hair? >Me: Yeah. >Voice: No, John Flansburgh is not here, nor was he meant to be here. Is >this a friend of his? >Me: I was kinda hoping. >Voice: Is this a fan? >Me: Big fan! >Voice: Where did you get this number? >Me: You get this number if you do a 'whois' on dialasong.com. >Voice: O.K. Thanks for the tip. and you wonder why most celebrities try to hide and distance themselves from their fans... i can't tell you what you can or can't do, but c'mon, give the man his privacy before he starts to hate us all.. gosh, i'm not even famous and i hate phone calls from people I don't know.. sarah linnellgirl@tmbg.org ~ http://lava.home.ml.org ((now playing: sloan - "twice removed")) ------------------------------ From: Drayco@aol.com Message-ID: <73f918b7.357889ec@aol.com> Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 20:14:34 EDT Subject: TMBG: NEW TOURDATES!!! There are two new dates on tmbg.com: Date: City: Venue: 6/17/98 New York, NY Under Acme Notes: Mono Puff show 6/21/98 Atlantic City, NJ Sheraton Convention Center Notes: Free show at electronics convention (open to the public) I hope to see some of you at these shows. --Jamal ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 20:18:49 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <3.0.16.19980605201635.329f4d18@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu> From: Harry Subject: Re: TMBG: The land of the free, and the home of the Johns At 07:10 PM 6/5/98 -0500, you wrote: >Hmmm. Is that real, or your li'l sitiation ya came up in your head? No, it was real. If I made it up in my head, I would have gotten through to Flans and made up INTERESTING dialogue. Also, now I feel bad (because of Sara's message) BUT... I really don't think I did anything more than provided a target of ridicule for whoever I spoke to. But, Sara's right. I shouldn't have done it. But somebody had to. Just to see, you know? BTW - It was free. I did call from work. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980606002248.006f7038@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Fri, 05 Jun 1998 19:22:48 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: The land of the free, and the home of the Johns I'm sorry, that's a bit sad. I'm sorry, I don't care how much you love a band. You are not their friend or family, this of course takes you past the point of obsessed fan to, you guessed it, stalker. Please if somebody posts, hey someone needs to kill Linnell, they don't mean it. Don't do it. LDB, sigh. At 08:18 PM 6/5/98 -0400, Harry wrote: >At 07:10 PM 6/5/98 -0500, you wrote: >>Hmmm. Is that real, or your li'l sitiation ya came up in your head? > >No, it was real. If I made it up in my head, I would have gotten through >to Flans and made up INTERESTING dialogue. Also, now I feel bad (because >of Sara's message) BUT... I really don't think I did anything more than >provided a target of ridicule for whoever I spoke to. > >But, Sara's right. I shouldn't have done it. But somebody had to. Just >to see, you know? > >BTW - It was free. I did call from work. > > > -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 20:10:15 -0400 Subject: Non TMBG: Dragon Con Message-ID: <19980605.201031.3406.1.gray42@juno.com> I'm just curious but, is anyone on the list planning to go to Dragon Con this summer? Does anyone on the list know what the Hell I'm talking about? Mysterio Gal (who will now go away and do more non TMBG related things, such as watch The Mask, but will later listen to a few TMBG albums to redeem herself) " Have I been there? I live there! I made The School, I am The School! Anything that goes on there, they tell me first, I'm the boss, I control what goes on in the whole place. If you want to take a piss, you gotta ask me first." --Pitts ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 17:28:57 -0700 (PDT) Message-Id: From: Bob Gonsalves Subject: Re: TMBG: The land of the free, and the home of the Johns > >But, Sara's right. I shouldn't have done it. But somebody had to. Just >to see, you know? > >BTW - It was free. I did call from work. I'm sure the next time the whois database is updated that number won't be there anymore... ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 21:20:48 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <3.0.16.19980605211833.319f2716@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu> From: Harry Subject: TMBG: In My Defense At 07:22 PM 6/5/98 -0500, you wrote: >I'm sorry, that's a bit sad. I'm sorry, I don't care how much you love a >band. You are not their friend or family, this of course takes you past the >point of obsessed fan to, you guessed it, stalker. Please if somebody >posts, hey someone needs to kill Linnell, they don't mean it. Don't do it. > >LDB, sigh. Ok, hold up. First, I'm not EVEN CLOSE to a stalker. I DO NOT hang around after the shows hoping to meet Them. I DO NOT actively seek personal information about Them. I didn't even know that they were married until I joined this list. I don't even call Dialasong (well, once in a blue moon.) Most importantly, I DID NOT actively seek this phone number. It fell into my lap. Hell, I'm not even an obsessive fan. I have all of the easy-to-get stuff that's available. I've never even heard "Sensurround." I do not dream of They. I do not spend hours attempting to interpret Their songs. I like Their music and I get a kick out of the fact that They really know how to play with words and back it up with impressive music. That's it. As for the action itself, I am fully aware that I am neither friends with nor family of any member of They Might Be Giants. What I did was to simply succumb to the curiosity that I would think has been burning in more than one of us since the information was originally posted. I had hoped that reporting what happens when you call the number would allow others to quench their curiosity as well. I'm less a stalker and more the kid who pulled the fire alarm. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980605213243.006a4938@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Fri, 05 Jun 1998 21:32:43 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: In My Defense At 09:20 PM 6/5/98 -0400, Harry wrote: > >Most importantly, I DID NOT actively seek this phone number. It fell into >my lap. I'm the idiot who originally posted that information. I did it to show that dialasong.com really did exist, which I thought was cool, but I didn't give that information more than a casual skim. If I had seen a phone number or e-mail address, I wouldn't have posted its contents. Seriously. :) -Adam /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 21:34:53 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: In My Defense In a message dated 6/5/98 9:22:51 PM, Knight.49@osu.edu wrote: >Ok, hold up. First, I'm not EVEN CLOSE to a stalker. I DO NOT *sniiiip someone's definition of what a "stalker" is* stalkers come in different forms. (i watched that "behind the music" episode on stalkers one too many times i think.. well, it's all that was on, i'm sure i'm sorry.) some want to kill their... stalkees. some have every thing and know everything related to the stalkee. some do not. some are just in it for the celeb-y-ness, or they just think the stalkee is really hot. it has nothing to do with interpreting their songs, or owning "Live in New York!". it doesn't matter how devoted a fan you are. now I wouldn't call you a stalker, but how would john know the difference? i'd be scared out of my head if i were him and someone called.. >Most importantly, I DID NOT actively seek this phone number. It fell into >my lap. > but you could have just said "eeenh" and went on like most of us did. >As for the action itself, I am fully aware that I am neither friends with >nor family of any member of They Might Be Giants. What I did was to simply >succumb to the curiosity that I would think has been burning in more than >one of us since the information was originally posted. not i. you can give johnny a little more credit.. do you really think he would put his personal phone # or one fans could reach him at on the web? >I'm less a stalker and more the kid who pulled the fire alarm. why do kids pull fire alarms? what reason? to annoy people? sarah... linnellgirl@tmbg.org ~ http://lava.home.ml.org "It's not the band I hate, it's their fans" - Sloan ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3578C86A.7A4F@fuse.net> Date: Fri, 05 Jun 1998 21:41:14 -0700 From: jays your one-paged dictionary Organization: dial-a-song! 718-287-6962, narrrrrrrrr! Subject: Re: TMBG: The land of the free, and the home of the Johns KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: > and you wonder why most celebrities try to hide and distance themselves from > their fans... i can't tell you what you can or can't do, but c'mon, give the > man his privacy before he starts to hate us all.. call me a nasty, rabid fan, too, but i think harry kicks ass for doing that. i wish i'd had the guts, myself. ;) peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jay. -- jayhc--always accurate, constant, and intense. e-mail: sirjamez@fuse.net, phonebook@tmbg.org aol im: SaturnChrd, PhoneBookJ irc: PhoneBook "and sadly the cross-eyed bear's been put to sleep behind the stairs, and his shoes are laced with irony." --tmbg "Hey, some people take drugs and some people like to have sex all day, I like to watch my bees as I make music, so what." --steve vai -- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 21:43:56 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <3.0.16.19980605214141.319f601a@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu> From: Harry Subject: Re: TMBG: In My Defense > >>I'm less a stalker and more the kid who pulled the fire alarm. > >why do kids pull fire alarms? what reason? to annoy people? > >sarah... No, to see what will happen. (I think I'm alone here.) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980605210042.006a3a08@pop.indy.net> Date: Fri, 05 Jun 1998 21:00:42 -0400 From: rachel Subject: Re: TMBG: In My Defense sarah wrote: >why do kids pull fire alarms? what reason? to annoy people? > no, to get out of class, silly! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3578A3C0.5C1@erols.com> Date: Fri, 05 Jun 1998 22:04:48 -0400 From: Zydell Subject: Re: TMBG: In My Defense I don't know why you all are making a big deal out of this. I knew someone would eventually call that number, and to be honest, if JF is so stupid to put his name and number out where any idiot could get it (myself included) then he should be glad it was Hair calling and not a real freak. The number probably was to his accountant or something of the like anyway. It seams to me it bothers you because you have this dream that maybe, just maybe someday if you are true fans that you will be able to become friends with them and discuss music philosophy over coffee. Sorry, that ain't goin' happen. awaiting the flames, Nancy Harry wrote: > > > > >>I'm less a stalker and more the kid who pulled the fire alarm. > > > >why do kids pull fire alarms? what reason? to annoy people? > > > >sarah... > > No, to see what will happen. (I think I'm alone here.) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980606020629.008d69ec@pop.cwru.edu> Date: Fri, 05 Jun 1998 19:06:29 -0700 From: SpiderEyes Subject: Re: TMBG: In My Defense First, based on Harry's posts, he evidently didn't put much thought into it before calling the number. Second, I will assume LDB was utilizing hyperbole when he classed Harry's action as that of an obsessive stalker. Accordingly, my thoughts: Although I don't feel it was necessarily right per se to call the number, I do feel it was utterly harmless for one person from the list to call and report the results of a conversation that could not have taken more than two minutes of someone's time on the other end. Besides this, by informing them that the number was freely accessible online and thereby allowing them to fix that, Harry may have prevented some real stalker from getting it later by the same means. So overall, though a lot more thought should've gone into this and the call proby should not have been made, I feel it probably did more good than harm. This time. Just no one repeat it, okay? - SpiderEyes, who really didn't mean to sound so moralizing and all that and apologizes if she thereby annoyed anyone ----------------- Life is not a Moebius strip- there's always more than one side. - Jen Childs ----------------- DISCLAIMER: Offer may vary where not intended for minors. Some restrictions may be hazardous to your health. Opinions expressed are not necessarily compatible with contents under pressure of law. Consult with a physician before beginning any strenuous void in Illinois and Vermont. All rights purely coincidental. - Nick Brienza ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 21:52:54 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: In My Defense Message-ID: <19980605.220249.3406.17.gray42@juno.com> alright, tho' I'll probably regret this later (when I start a bigger controversy that'll produce hate mail), I'll have to add to this... All of this stalking stuff brings back memories of High School last year, people would call me stalker just cause' I wore a trenchcoat and would peer into my best friends studio to see if he was there before entering, cause' I cannot enter w/ out a purpose. and that whole "oooh look at the stalker" thing kinda hurt, I was just shy. I think "stalker" is a very harsh word, anyway, John himself did not answer that call, it was someone else. And I must say, I was curious also, tho' I'd probably have a heart-attack just dialing the number. Things seem to be becoming paranoid, we should all just sit and relax, take a deep breath, it's been done, noone has a time machine. If Hair hadn't of done it, someone else probably would have. We have all learned. I mean if I called John, and had gotten a bad (worrying, paranoia type) experience from it, I'd probably feel guilty and want to vomit. Let's not use harsh words like stalker to bring a fellow lisy further down into the abyss of... of I'm sorry, I'm getting too dramatic. Mysterio Gal (who has also been refered to as a stalker) " Have I been there? I live there! I made The School, I am The School! Anything that goes on there, they tell me first, I'm the boss, I control what goes on in the whole place. If you want to take a piss, you gotta ask me first." --Pitts ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 22:20:24 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <3.0.16.19980605221809.319faf74@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu> From: Harry Subject: Re: TMBG: In My Defense Aw, yeah! B-C Representin! Thanks, Nancy. At 10:04 PM 6/5/98 -0400, you wrote: >I don't know why you all are making a big deal out of this. I knew >someone would eventually call that number, and to be honest, if JF is so >stupid to put his name and number out where any idiot could get it >(myself included) then he should be glad it was Hair calling and not a >real freak. > >The number probably was to his accountant or something of the like >anyway. > >It seams to me it bothers you because you have this dream that maybe, >just maybe someday if you are true fans that you will be able to become >friends with them and discuss music philosophy over coffee. Sorry, that >ain't goin' happen. > >awaiting the flames, >Nancy > >Harry wrote: >> >> > >> >>I'm less a stalker and more the kid who pulled the fire alarm. >> > >> >why do kids pull fire alarms? what reason? to annoy people? >> > >> >sarah... >> >> No, to see what will happen. (I think I'm alone here.) > > ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980606021914.00b65c78@pop.cwru.edu> Date: Fri, 05 Jun 1998 19:19:14 -0700 From: SpiderEyes Subject: Re: TMBG: Soldiers to meet Them >I am seriously thinking about creating a TMBG club here at the >University of Georgia. Anyone have suggestions or know anyone that goes Have you talked to people from TMBG clubs at other schools for ideas, how they got started, all that? Although my own school, being stuck in the hellhole we fondly call Cleveland, has nothing of the sort, I know Western Wash U has one- see http://www.ac.wwu.edu/~tmbgspy/ And happy birthday! - SpiderEyes ---------------- If little else, the brain is an educational toy. - Tom Robbins ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <1d155d78.3578a8f2@aol.com> Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 22:26:56 EDT Subject: Re: Re: TMBG: In My Defense In a message dated 6/5/98 10:20:48 PM, you wrote: > and that whole "oooh look at the >stalker" thing kinda hurt, I was just shy. I think "stalker" is a very >harsh word, anyway, *I* didn't call him a stalker, in fact, in my last post, i even said "i wouldn't call you a stalker". yes i think we're all jumping on this topic because there's nothing else to jump on. :} i don't mean anything harsh by any of my posts.. sarah... linnellgirl@tmbg.org ~ http://lava.home.ml.org "It's not the band I hate, it's their fans" - Sloan ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3578AF47.665B9C19@ix.netcom.com> Date: Fri, 05 Jun 1998 22:53:59 -0400 From: Mike Subject: Re: TMBG: WHFS!!! Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > > hey, everyone in the DC/MD/VA area, listen to WHFS lots this weekend - > they're going through their *entire* library in alphabetical order by > song title. I must have missed Ana Ng and Birdhouse, but I just heard > Don't Let's Start (no Dr. Worm yet :) and expect to hear The Guitar, > Istanbul, maybe I Palindrome I, Snail Shell, and The Statue Got Me > High... maybe even Hotel Detective (anything they made a single of, > really... Sleeping in the Flowers and NyQuil Driver may show up, too...) > I doubt it. Back in July during the all request weekend where all they did was play request... (sadly enough, it was all Sugar Ray, damn Fly song pisses me off) Well, I wanted to hear TMBG, so I called up. The first DJ didn't play it. Next Mark came on, and he didn't play it either. Then I had to call the next DJ, who happens to be Gina, possibly the coolest DJ in the world, and she said I was a genius, and she wanted something spectacular to play, and that was the band. Anyway, she got me on the radio and she took like 10 minutes to record my voice ect. ect. Oh, wait... what was I talking about... Oh Yeah! Well, whenI requested it to her, she said "What do you want to hear?" and I just said "Well, seing as how your the 3rd DJ I called today, I thought it'd be cool if you could play Hey Mr DJ, I Thought You Said We Had a Deal, but I know you don't have it so..." "Lemme see what we got" All she had was Ana Ng and Don't Lets Start, and she wanted to hear DLS, so I was cool with it. Even though they do have Birdhouse, it seem unlikely they'd have any of those other songs, cuz all the DJS play them on Flashback Cafe a lot.... all I ever hear are Birdhouse, DLS, and Ana Ng. So it looks like I missed them all again.... As usual, everyone's favorite Mikeman! "SMELLY BEEFSTICKS!!!" ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 21:22:59 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: The land of the free, and the home of the Johns Message-ID: <19980605.212304.13942.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> >Call me an idiot, but here it is: okay... at this point i really wish mike leffel was here... :) just imagine the conversation between him and the mysterious voice :P take it easy, JOrdaN [AKA Joda: Yedi Master] http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::Crazy 'Joda', Nicotine, And Her Red Jet Air Balloon::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: "Lee Steel" Subject: RE: TMBG: Re: TMBG videos Date: Sat, 6 Jun 1998 01:03:12 -0400 Message-ID: <000501bd9108$68092e80$6464a8c0@lee1> Hate to say but you can get the same Japanese import from Music Boulevard for around $25 (8 songs) [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #7-6 ****************************