Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #7-9 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 7, Number 9 Tuesday, 9 June 1998 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Other 2 studio cuts? Re: TMBG: Other 2 studio cuts? TMBG: Re: Non-tmbg: Solipism Re: TMBG: Other 2 studio cuts? Re: TMBG: The MAN sighting TMBG: I Palindrome I Re: NONTMBG:BNL Re: TMBG: Other 2 studio cuts? Re: NONTMBG:BNL Re: TMBG: Other 2 studio cuts? TMBG: Fax about STD Re: TMBG: Other 2 studio cuts? Re: TMBG: Fax about STD Re: TMBG: Fax about STD Re: TMBG: Fax about STD Re: TMBG: Other 2 studio cuts? TMBG: South Park Re: Non TMBG: Dragon Con TMBG: STD Tracks.... Non-TMBG: Mike Leffel for Pres. 2000 Re: Non-TMBG: Mike Leffel for Pres. 2000 TMBG:WOW, HIDDEN TRACK! (duh:) Playstation compadible Re: Non-TMBG: PKD And The Truman Show Re: TMBG: non-tmbg : soul coughing- Miight I suggest.. TMBG: Re: Non-tmbg: Solipism TMBG: ifts vs unsupervised Re: TMBG: Fax about STD Re: TMBG: South Park TMBG:Mono Puff IFTS Lyrics Re: TMBG:Mono Puff IFTS Lyrics Re: TMBG: Fax about STD Re: TMBG:Mono Puff IFTS Lyrics Re: TMBG:Mono Puff IFTS Lyrics Re: TMBG:Mono Puff IFTS Lyrics Re: TMBG: Re: Non-tmbg: Solipism Re: TMBG: Re: Non-tmbg: Solipism Re: TMBG: STD Tracks.... Re: TMBG: Re: Non-tmbg: Solipism Re: TMBG: Re: Non-tmbg: Solipism Re: TMBG: Other 2 studio cuts? Re: TMBG: I Palindrome I Re: TMBG: Other 2 studio cuts? Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: gray42@juno.com Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 02:09:44 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Other 2 studio cuts? Message-ID: <19980608.023027.3310.0.gray42@juno.com> Well it seems obvious to me that they'd haVE to include They Got Lost Driving Around, it makews so much sense, tho' I could be wrong. Mysterio Gal (The Truman Show kicks ASS) " Have I been there? I live there! I made The School, I am The School! Anything that goes on there, they tell me first, I'm the boss, I control what goes on in the whole place. If you want to take a piss, you gotta ask me first." --Pitts ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 02:30:03 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Other 2 studio cuts? Message-ID: <19980608.023028.3310.2.gray42@juno.com> On Mon, 08 Jun 1998 01:11:16 -0700 jays your one-paged dictionary writes: >while we're on the subject of STD, i feel i should express my concerns >of its length. 45 minutes is not an easy amount of time into which to >fit the essence of a true live show, especially with what may be ten >or >fifteen minutes of live tracks. i was disappointed with bnl's "rock >spectacle" for that reason--it was only 39 minutes long, miniscule >even >when compared to most studio cds. > >i would absolutely love to see a two cd set, despite any dent it may >make in the pocketbook of me and others. i haven't heard any banter >on >that subject, but i assume it will be one cd; that seems to be the >more >feasible option to attract buyers. i digress ... an hour and a >half--or >more--of pure live action would be more powerful, to me, than any drug >available on both white and black markets. Interesting: A good friend of mine (weird music maker extordinare) has made a new CD with 53 tracks on it (a single CD at that. Well leave it to Millard to do the impossible. Check out the Ed Furniture link on my web page (at the bottom of my sig) for a good explanation, and some cheep thrills and spills. Gee, It's kinda hard to imagine, 53 songs, WHEW! Mysterio Gal (who knows better, but is bad anyway) " Have I been there? I live there! I made The School, I am The School! Anything that goes on there, they tell me first, I'm the boss, I control what goes on in the whole place. If you want to take a piss, you gotta ask me first." --Pitts ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 >on another note, i wonder if i could look up/do a trace on the number >found when doing a whois on dialasong.com, determine its function, >call >the number, and dupe the answerer into giving me flansie's home phone >number? hehe. t'would more than rock, i say, despite the disturbing >genre of fandom into which i'd be subsequently placed. > >ah, well. > >peace, love, and good happiness stuff, > >jay. > >-- >jayhc, unfoundedly in love with a girl whom all reason dictates he >shouldn't be. > >e-mail: sirjamez@fuse.net, phonebook@tmbg.org >aol im: SaturnChrd, PhoneBookJ >irc: PhoneBook > >"and sadly the cross-eyed bear's been > put to sleep behind the stairs, > and his shoes are laced with irony." > > --tmbg > >"Hey, some people take drugs and some people like to have sex all > day, I like to watch my bees as I make music, so what." > > --steve vai > >-- > _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 02:24:14 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Re: Non-tmbg: Solipism Message-ID: <19980608.023027.3310.1.gray42@juno.com> On Sun, 7 Jun 1998 23:31:10 -0500 (CDT) "Christopher M. Stangl" writes: >On Sun, 7 Jun 1998, Davin Q. Hutchingstone wrote: > >> I always felt like the Truman Show was an unoriginal idea... >> >> Because once I read a short science fiction story about a >> guy who lived his life in an artificial world. >> I think aliens made his surroundings and stuff. >> He finally discovered that everything he knew was >> fake when it was dark and stormy on one side of his >> house, but nice and sunny on the other side. >> I forgot what the hell it was called. >> Someone help me. > > Dunno about that. > But the concept for "The Truman Show" just as equally rips off >a >short story David Byrne wrote for his book "Strange Ritual", titled >"Life >Style". The story goes down in a more typically David Byrne-y manner >than >the descriptions I've heard of the movie (which I guess unfolds more >closely akin to the movie "Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer", if >that's >worth anything...) > -Chris Stangl > > I just had to include this quote, my best reason being because I squinted at the words and thought I saw marionettes :) "We were talking about information. Just like the information they needed from Henry Walker. You know, he wasn't really deathly ill like everybody thought. He was on the wrong level of the hospital-- he was in the psychiatric ward, not the injury center. He couldn't hide with the mental patients; they got their information from him. They questioned him in a room with many chairs, and he was the only witness, he was in the spotlight. He was forced to speak, then he danced with the marionettes, untill the end: sanitary disposal" --Dominant Man--Project Omicron If you wish to know more about this, like have it half-way explained, just privately E-mail me, k' Mysterio Gal (who has drunken 5 yoo-hoo's today, and would've seen the Truman Show again today if she hadn't spent her money on food, but of course how was she to have known her opportunities at the time?) " Have I been there? I live there! I made The School, I am The School! Anything that goes on there, they tell me first, I'm the boss, I control what goes on in the whole place. If you want to take a piss, you gotta ask me first." --Pitts ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 ------------------------------ From: Superman25@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 08:39:56 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Other 2 studio cuts? hi. in the interview with John Linnell at the tmbg visual discography page, he said that the first track is a live version of They Got Lost. he's also said that Rest Awhile is planned for the next album. as for the other tracks, i'd have to say that On The Drag is a definate shoe-in. out of all the new songs, i've heard this one the most at shows besides Dr. Worm. i'd say that First Kiss or maybe even Counterfeit Faker would be the other one. also remember, there will be a single for Dr. Worm. we can probably expect a remix of that and two or three other new songs. adam schaaf, who just downloaded the nes emulator and is about to kick butt on ninja gaiden. ------------------------------ From: ArwenAnaNg@aol.com Message-ID: <15fa70b9.357bdbdf@aol.com> Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 08:41:02 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: The MAN sighting In a message dated 98-06-07 02:06:38 EDT, you write: << I thought we discussed this before, but isn't the man just the universal symbol for.... err... well... the universal cartoon for THE MAN? Heehee, he's just everywhere (-: >> I have the Click Art 125,000 that I bought from Office Depot and, lo and behold, "the MAN" is a *.tif image. More specifically (for anyone who may have it) it's on CD9 under Cartoons labeled CRTA2509. BTW, there's lots of cool "MAN"-type images on that same CD. Arwen -- who just got back from a funeral, and at the burial could not stop hearing "Turn Around" in my head as shovels full of dirt were tossed into the open grave ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 08 Jun 98 15:11:26 CET From: "ingalls, christopher" Message-Id: <9805088973.AA897344639@smtpgw.nsa.naples.navy.mil> Subject: TMBG: I Palindrome I Hello everyone, I'm new to the list, so bear with me. First things first: does anyone know where I can get a copy of the "I Palindrome I" CD single (featuring the excellent Joshua Fried remix of "She's Actual Size?") The official website doesn't have it in their catalog. Thanks a lot, Chris ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 07:23:52 -0600 Subject: Re: NONTMBG:BNL Message-ID: <19980608.072450.11102.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> i was disappointed with bnl's "rock >spectacle" for that reason--it was only 39 minutes long, miniscule >even >when compared to most studio cds. but for people that had never heard BNL, rock spectacle was awesome and it didn't totally put me on overload. not to mention that they make up for it with the whole enhanced CD thing... that would just rock if TMBG made an enhanced CD... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::We like the cars, the cars that go boom::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <357BEB0E.4D129F2F@qn.net> Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 09:45:50 -0400 From: Diana Kocar Subject: Re: TMBG: Other 2 studio cuts? Dylan Flipse wrote: >>As far as the other tracks, my guess would then be Rest Awhile and First Kiss. I don't think that one of the tracks would be Rest Awhile, because I sort of remember Linnell saying at a concert that Rest Awhile would be on Their totally-new studio CD that will come out after STD. How about "They got lost" or "Older"? Diana ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980608094955.006a9b4c@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 09:49:55 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: NONTMBG:BNL At 07:23 AM 6/8/98 -0600, tmbgirl@juno.com wrote: > >but for people that had never heard BNL, rock spectacle was awesome and >it didn't totally put me on overload. not to mention that they make up >for it with the whole enhanced CD thing... that would just rock if TMBG >made an enhanced CD... I think RS would've been a lot better if it had been a double CD. Just MHO. :) -Adam /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 09:54:48 -0400 From: Destin Berthelot Subject: Re: TMBG: Other 2 studio cuts? Message-id: <357BED28.69E0@rollins.edu> Organization: Rollins College Linnell said Older would not be on STD, alas... all we know for sure will be on there is a studio version of Dr. Worm and a live version of TMBG Got Lost. Destin To Me They Look Like Mice: A They Might Be Giants Visual Discography http://members.xoom.com/theymightbe/ Diana Kocar wrote: > > Dylan Flipse wrote: > >>As far as the other tracks, my guess would then be Rest Awhile and > First Kiss. > > I don't think that one of the tracks would be Rest Awhile, because I > sort of remember Linnell saying at a concert that Rest Awhile would be > on Their totally-new studio CD that will come out after STD. How about > "They got lost" or "Older"? > > Diana ------------------------------ From: garit@juno.com Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 09:06:14 -0700 Subject: TMBG: Fax about STD Message-ID: <19980608.090615.11398.0.garit@juno.com> Hi folks, 1) The tid-bit on the Restless page is a bit misleading. There's only one studio track on STD. That being Dr. Worm. The other new songs are live versions, them being TMBG Got Lost and First Kiss. 2) On the Drag was recorded as a studio version but Pat Dillett was not satisfied with the chorus, "on the drag....bum bum bum" because it lacked something. 3) Finished with Lies wasn't recorded for STD. Linnell wants to save it for a real album. He also wants to save Certain People for a real album as well. 4) STD is about 50 minutes long. (Yes, this is a bad omen to me as well) 5) The "Greatest Hits" include Birdhouse, Ana Ng, and Istanbul. 6) The guy who said Candy Butchers is the worst band ever needs to eat some kitty litter. Lots of it. Larry P.S. - You can stop with the speculating now. "Can I call you my best friend? Baby, you're all I have." - Mike Viola _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: BrthrJuan@aol.com Message-ID: <271e9622.357c1186@aol.com> Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 12:29:57 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Other 2 studio cuts? In a message dated 6/8/98 9:45:34 AM Eastern Daylight Time, dkocar@qn.net writes: > How about > "They got lost" or "Older"? they have said many times that Older will not appear on an album ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980608123940.006a4700@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 12:39:40 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Fax about STD At 09:06 AM 6/8/98 -0700, garit@juno.com wrote: >Hi folks, > >2) On the Drag was recorded as a studio version but Pat Dillett was not >satisfied with the chorus, "on the drag....bum bum bum" because it >lacked something. Is this a recording of the new folksy version of "On The Drag"? Personally, I think it's lacking more than a good chorus. ;) Bring back the fun, fast version! :) >3) Finished with Lies wasn't recorded for STD. Linnell wants to save it >for a real album. He also wants to save Certain People for a real album >as well. Darn straight. Those are 2 of Linnell's best songs ever... >5) The "Greatest Hits" include Birdhouse, Ana Ng, and Istanbul. Ick. "Istanbul" sucks live. >6) The guy who said Candy Butchers is the worst band ever needs to eat >some kitty litter. Lots of it. I haven't heard much of the Candy Butchers outside of what's on your page, and I think saying they're the worst band ever is a little much. I think "Speedball Baby" will hold that record for a very, very long time... :) >P.S. - You can stop with the speculating now. Naw, let's just find something else about which to speculate, like the B-sides for "Dr. Worm". :) -Adam /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: Monotreme3@aol.com Message-ID: <91b00191.357c1b83@aol.com> Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 13:12:34 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Fax about STD In a message dated 6/8/98 12:06:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time, garit@juno.com writes: > 4) STD is about 50 minutes long. (Yes, this is a bad omen to me as well) Hey... that's *8* minutes longer than Factory Showroom. I mean... come on! EIGHT! -Carey ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 8 Jun 98 13:15 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Fax about STD >4) STD is about 50 minutes long. (Yes, this is a bad omen to me as well) Five minutes longer than Factory Showroom, but awfully short for a concert. More like an in-store... Kirsten (hoping STD contains some version of "Istanbul" where it sounds phenomenal live... heh.) -- `'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`' "I have a great imaginary world, but, um, sometimes I need things to happen for real." - Ally McBeal Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 8 Jun 98 13:16 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Other 2 studio cuts? >> How about >> "They got lost" or "Older"? > >they have said many times that Older will not appear on an album They have? Damn... Maybe that'll be one of the b-sides for Dr. Worm, then. It's got a sort of b-side-ish quality, I suppose. Kirsten -- `'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`' "I have a great imaginary world, but, um, sometimes I need things to happen for real." - Ally McBeal Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 14:00:26 EDT Subject: TMBG: South Park Ok, ok, have you all heard Trey & Matt are working to create a South Park soundtrack. The only band that I know will be on there is Primus. They wanted to get Manson & Hanson together to do a song, but they refused. I think TMBG, since Trey & Matt wanted odd sounds, should be invited to do a song....any thoughts? Any hopes of this happening??? jason "My mom is a dirty bitch in D Minor" glastetter ------------------------------ From: "Drunken Bird" Organization: Columbus State Univ.,Columbus, Ga. Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 14:08:20 EST Subject: Re: Non TMBG: Dragon Con Message-ID: <25F5AD11539@colstate.edu> > I'm just curious but, is anyone on the list planning to go to Dragon Con > this summer? Does anyone on the list know what the Hell I'm talking > about? I sure do! And as a matter of fact, I finally got my old GM back on-line, so we will be able to role-play even though we arn't living in the same city. Where is it going to be this year anyway? I heard it was going to be in Atlanta, but I haven't got any details. - Drunken "just for the taste of it" Bird DrunkenBird@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 18:20:27 +0000 (GMT) From: graphics Subject: TMBG: STD Tracks.... Message-id: <01IY04MUDYYAIV8F78@accuwx.com> Organization: AccuWeather, Inc Hey, From what I know (I believe I heard this also form the Johns themselves at the 5/1 philly concert) is that in addition to 3 studio tracks (my guess: Dr. Worm, TMBG got lost, Older(?)) is that the live portion would contain all the Planet of the Apes songs. (I don't remember if there were 5 or 6 of these, anyone out there keep count?) I don't think they are going to make it a 2 disc set (unfortunately), but it will probably be 1 full disc (65+ mins.) So in addition to the 3 studio tracks, 5/6 Planet of the Apes songs, I guessing about 10-15 additional live tracks. (Birdhouse, Ana Ng, etc.) Peter p.s. Can anyone out there help me find a boot of the 5/1 philly show. p.p.s. Mike Leffel for President 2000 (Let's mount the Write-In campaign now :)) p.p.p.s. Anyone got a Mike Leffel for Pres. 2000 slogan? ohlert@accuwx.com ohlert@juno.com ------------------------------ From: Monotreme3@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 14:50:43 EDT Subject: Non-TMBG: Mike Leffel for Pres. 2000 In a message dated 6/8/98 2:21:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time, OHLERT@accuwx.com writes: > p.p.p.s. Anyone got a Mike Leffel for Pres. 2000 slogan? I got one! Here: "Mike Leffel for Pres. 2000! Wait... no. Not Mike Leffel. Someone else. Sorry." I like that one. -Carey ------------------------------ Message-ID: <357C7C94.5159@fuse.net> Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 17:06:44 -0700 From: jays your one-paged dictionary Organization: dial-a-song! 718-287-6962, narrrrrrrrr! Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Mike Leffel for Pres. 2000 Monotreme3@aol.com wrote: > "Mike Leffel for Pres. 2000! Wait... no. > Not Mike Leffel. Someone else. Sorry." > > I like that one. > -Carey mike leffel, he's our man. if he can't do it, hell ... it's not like he's a conservative republican or anything. hail the new world order under MIKE LEFFEL!! jayhc. -- jayhc--always accurate, constant, and intense. e-mail: sirjamez@fuse.net, phonebook@tmbg.org aol im: SaturnChrd, PhoneBookJ irc: PhoneBook "and sadly the cross-eyed bear's been put to sleep behind the stairs, and his shoes are laced with irony." --tmbg "Hey, some people take drugs and some people like to have sex all day, I like to watch my bees as I make music, so what." --steve vai -- ------------------------------ From: "Drunken Bird" Organization: Columbus State Univ.,Columbus, Ga. Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 18:49:24 EST Subject: TMBG:WOW, HIDDEN TRACK! (duh:) Playstation compadible Message-ID: <26409E07FF9@colstate.edu> Just thought I would mention, after recently going through withdraw of not being able to hear the hidden tracks on It's Fun to Steal and Factory Showroom (gee.. why didn't somebody post something about this ;p?) I have finally over come this problem. I just recently got a Sony Playstaion, to go with my Final Fantasy VII game (bought the game as soon as it came out, had to keep up with the FF series), and decided to pop in my new IFTS CD, and behold, I hear the old mac voice that I had so much fun with years ago. ahh.. hello Token Back To Brooklyn, you have been missed:) On a related note, I think it is odd, that we don't put the hidden tracks more in the public eye, so people can DL them? Some of us poor saps, don't have (or didn't have:P) the ability to hear all of the mighty They we deserve. Until Next Post, - Drunken "What!? What do you what!?" Bird DrunkenBird@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19980608155725.007a5910@proaxis.com> Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 15:57:25 -0700 From: Bridget Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: PKD And The Truman Show >>I always felt like the Truman Show was an unoriginal idea... >I don't know about this one, but there's a Philip K. Dick sci-fi novel that >is like this also. Fellow wins the newspaper game every day. The game >consists of predicting which square of a matrix the little green man icon >will appear on the next day. In actuality he has precognitive abilities and >is predicting where bombs are going to be dropped - a whole alternative >reality is built up around him by his neighbors, which he eventually >discovers. Ooh!!! Ooh!! *spaz* I love Phil Dick!!! Just about everything he ever wrote is a questioning of the nature of reality, but with sci-fi trappings. He's written such cooooool things as VALIS, The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch, Eye in the Sky, A Scanner Darkly, and The Man in the High Castle. Anyways, if you liked that kind of a theme in The Truman Show, I'd suggest reading some Phil Dick. Some amazingly cool stuff there. In any case, I just had to spazz about that...PKD is one of my favorite authors, and I couldn't resist the opportunity to whine. :) Bridget "1: God doesn't exist; 2: And anyhow, he's stupid" Guildner celestia, tooms@proaxis.com moonscape: http://www.proaxis.com/~tooms/moonscape/frames.htm icq # 2814304 "as surely as the blades course is run, maybe my kingdom's finally come" nin no matter how hard i scrub, i still exist. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 18:26:34 -0500 (CDT) From: "Christopher M. Stangl" Subject: Re: TMBG: non-tmbg : soul coughing- Miight I suggest.. Message-ID: On Wed, 3 Jun 1998, Amanda Nichols wrote: > Hola all!! Hola yourself. > > "Soft Serve" is ON "Irresistible Bliss", so... > > I think it's pretty representative of the album. > > It was also the second single off of the album, after "Super Bon Bon." ... not that anybody can find the damn singles anywhere! > > "Irresistible"... one of the few Perfect Albums in existence. > > I would disagree. Many people (including myself) enjoy Ruby Vroom much > more. Okay. "Ruby Vroom" is ANOTHER of the few Perfect Albums in existence. Soul Coughing records are like first ladies: you have to love them all the same. Actually, while the high points of "Vroom" ("Down to This", "Screenwriter's Blues") are just as vertigo-high as the best of "Bliss" ("Super Bon Bon", "Lazybones"), I don't think there's an even slightly weak song on "Bliss", which is not true for "Vroom" ("Casiotone" is better live, and "City of Motors" is just not my favorite...) > I like that CD becase it sounds like a better representation of what > they can do live. It's a little more bluesy, more funky than "Bliss." > I recommend hearing Ruby first. Though if the tear-ass shows I've heard are any indication, "El Oso" should be an even better amalgam of the best things about the Cough... > >And their incomparable "Unmarked Helicopters" blew the rest of the > >contents of the "X-Files" soundtrack "Songs in the Key of X" out of > >the water. > > I would say it's one of the best tracks, but not *that* great. I > love Doughty and the boys, but my money's on the hidden Nick Cave and > the Dirty Three song at the beginning of the CD. How weird... you managed to pick the one song that I have NOTHING nice to say about... the one song I never listen to, and have no affection for whatsoever! I even like the PM Dawn remix of the theme song (sort of)! > Borrow Irresistable Bliss, buy Ruby Vroom. And fer God's sakes, go > get the X-Files CDs, both are rockin'. Well, "The X-Files: The Album" (the movie soundtrack) is decidedly NOT rocking, except for a killer Ween alterna-put-on, a sweet Foo Fighters ballad, a creepy Bjork spook-show, and natch, the highlight-of-album butt-quaking Soul Coughing rocker... I'm having trouble justifying the thirteen bucks I spent. "Songs in the Key of X" (teevee show concept album) is uniformly good (or interesting at least), and will bring my family many years of good luck and happiness to come. -Chris Stangl ------------------------------ From: "Drunken Bird" Organization: Columbus State Univ.,Columbus, Ga. Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 19:26:13 EST Subject: TMBG: Re: Non-tmbg: Solipism Message-ID: <264A6DD53CC@colstate.edu> > I don't know about this one, but there's a Philip K. Dick sci-fi novel that Has anybody happen to see Howard: the Duck? that was kindof sci-fi. - Drunken "OW, stupid pigeon." Bird DrunkenBird@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: "Mr. Me" Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 19:10:59 CST Subject: TMBG: ifts vs unsupervised Message-ID: <6734BC8470E@athena.valpo.edu> just got ifts the other day. it is much better than unsupervised. my overall reaction to unsupuervised was "yeah this is decent stuff, but there's a good reason why it's not on a tmbg album." but ifts shows a lot of musical growth. i was going to try and steal it, but it had one of those little chips on it that would go off if i walked through the sensors with it. i'd have to say my favorite track is extra krispy. anyone remember where the star wars reference was? i remember a post about it but can't find it on the album. i also got the soundtrack to kansas city. some great swing music on it, performed by some of jazz and blues's greats (joshua redman, fathead newman, christian mcbride, etc if those names mean anything). another great cd. jeremy [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] "Instead of creating new weapons of destruction, we ought to get some use out of the ones we already have." Deep Thoughts [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] Experience the many media of Jeremy Skrenes! Email: jskrenes@athena.valpo.edu Snail: or p356jskrenes@exodus.valpo.edu Wehrenberg Hall Airwaves: Sunday nights, 12-2am 95.1, WVUR Valparaiso, IN 46383 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980608195208.0069bc18@pop.indy.net> Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 19:52:08 -0400 From: rachel Subject: Re: TMBG: Fax about STD adam wrote: > >Ick. "Istanbul" sucks live. > yeah. the only live versions of this song that i like are ones where they don't sound like they're trying at all. it's like they are as sick of it as we are. i can't explain it anymore than that. ;) meow, rachel, who isn't really "sick" of istanbul, she would just like to hear them play some other songs at concerts for a change. ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <364616b7.357c9471@aol.com> Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 21:48:32 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: South Park In a message dated 6/8/98 2:03:05 PM, Happyfroot@aol.com wrote: >Ok, ok, have you all heard Trey & Matt are working to create a South Park >soundtrack. The only band that I know will be on there is Primus. They wanted >to get Manson & Hanson together to do a song, but they refused. I think TMBG, >since Trey & Matt wanted odd sounds, should be invited to do a song....any >thoughts? Any hopes of this happening??? i'm pretty indifferent to south park, but i really hope they do that... think of the publicity! :o tiny toons x10! i'm not saying they'd become top 40 (thank god ) but the whole *world* will know They are! okay, maybe i'm exaggerating. ;) but if half the people at school who say "oh my god, you killed kenny" on a daily basis buy that cd.. hmm.. sarah~ http://lava.home.ml.org "it's not the band i hate, it's their fans" - sloan ------------------------------ Message-ID: <357C6313.509E9004@mix-net.net> Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 22:17:57 +0000 From: "Chris \"Feeny\" Campbell" Subject: TMBG:Mono Puff IFTS Lyrics I love Extra Krispy, but I can't understand the French in the bridge under the moronic antics of Double Dong, the panting and so forth. (Grrr!) I speak the language almost fluently, and I've picked up a few words, but not everything. Does anyone know or know where to find these lyrics? IFTS lyrics aren't on monopuff.org yet. :( Thanks, Charis **************************************************************** "No one understands, no one knows my plan." -Charis's fav TMBG quote of the moment **************************************************************** ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 20:26:34 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG:Mono Puff IFTS Lyrics Message-ID: <19980608.202637.11062.3.TMBgirl@juno.com> Does anyone know or know where to find >these >lyrics? IFTS lyrics aren't on monopuff.org yet. :( i was at the site yesterday and the lyrice *were* up... are you sure? >"it's not the band i hate, it's their fans" - sloan yeah but "a-hole bands have a-hole fans" - bloodhound gang take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html oh geez... i'm quoting BHG... should i seek help? _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 20:33:30 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Fax about STD Message-ID: <19980608.203335.11062.4.TMBgirl@juno.com> >yeah. the only live versions of this song that i like are ones where >they >don't sound like they're trying at all. it's like they are as sick of >it as >we are. i can't explain it anymore than that. ;) oh come on... there are other good times... like when jim's (o'conner) on board... his intro rocks. not to mention when hal will play the intro... that's pretty cool too... personally, i'm to the point where i hate Spy live... it sucks unless you're actually at the show watching it (and the improv)... i can't explain it... i didn't feel that way 150 bootlegs ago but my opinions have changed... i really dislike pet name live as well... again it's one of those things where i think you have to be there to get the full experience (of the dark and what not). >rachel, who isn't really "sick" of istanbul, she would just like to >hear >them play some other songs at concerts for a change. i think it'd be cool if they started throwing tracks of fingertips in between the songs again... that was pretty cool. better yet, i'd like it if they started playing stump the band or spin the dial at shows again (on a regular basis)... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::but homes you did not read it was a can of dog food::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 23:10:39 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19980608230209.27a794aa@mail.connection.com> From: "The Famous Mr. Klaw" Subject: Re: TMBG:Mono Puff IFTS Lyrics > IFTS lyrics aren't on monopuff.org yet. :( I tend to disagree, considering I put them there myself weeks ago. Look closer... ------------------------------ Message-ID: <357CD136.236C@fuse.net> Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 23:07:50 -0700 From: jays your one-paged dictionary Organization: dial-a-song! 718-287-6962, narrrrrrrrr! Subject: Re: TMBG:Mono Puff IFTS Lyrics The Famous Mr. Klaw wrote: > > > IFTS lyrics aren't on monopuff.org yet. :( > > I tend to disagree, considering I put them there myself weeks ago. Look > closer... actually, i think he meant the french lyrics spoken by heaven during the bridge, which aren't, as far as i can remember, at the site. ;) peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jay. -- jayhc--always accurate, constant, and intense. e-mail: sirjamez@fuse.net, phonebook@tmbg.org aol im: SaturnChrd, PhoneBookJ irc: PhoneBook "and sadly the cross-eyed bear's been put to sleep behind the stairs, and his shoes are laced with irony." --tmbg "Hey, some people take drugs and some people like to have sex all day, I like to watch my bees as I make music, so what." --steve vai -- ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 21:17:50 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG:Mono Puff IFTS Lyrics Message-ID: <19980608.211906.11062.7.TMBgirl@juno.com> >actually, i think he meant the french lyrics spoken by heaven during >the >bridge, which aren't, as far as i can remember, at the site. ;) they're there... i don't necessarily agree with what's listed up there but hey... i don't speak the language i just pretend to know it! take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html :::Ils se sont perdus en conduisant autour de... huh?::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 20:23:39 -0700 (PDT) From: Malora Ann Bate Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Non-tmbg: Solipism Message-ID: On Mon, 8 Jun 1998, Drunken Bird wrote: > > I don't know about this one, but there's a Philip K. Dick sci-fi novel that > Has anybody happen to see Howard: the Duck? that was kindof sci-fi. > watched it at elast 7 times! now that is one heck of a film. the sex scene with howard! amazingly weird... but oddly cute. and the satan TV lord? i am prbably giving the plot away.. oops! MaLora ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980609042503.0068c9ac@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 23:25:03 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Non-tmbg: Solipism At 04:31 PM 6/7/98 -0400, Davin Q. Hutchingstone wrote: >I always felt like the Truman Show was an unoriginal idea... > >Because once I read a short science fiction story about a >guy who lived his life in an artificial world. >I think aliens made his surroundings and stuff. >He finally discovered that everything he knew was >fake when it was dark and stormy on one side of his >house, but nice and sunny on the other side. >I forgot what the hell it was called. >Someone help me. > As it has been said, by some wise person. It might have been me. "There are no original ideas, just new spins on stollen ones." LDB, posting from the backup computer. -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980609044429.0066b7f4@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 23:44:29 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: STD Tracks.... >p.p.s. Mike Leffel for President 2000 (Let's mount the Write-In campaign now :)) >p.p.p.s. Anyone got a Mike Leffel for Pres. 2000 slogan? > "I scream, you scream, we all scream when pandas mate with our faces on Sunday." -- Mike Leffel, Thanxgiving 1998. Ayone gonna challenge me for the Vice Prez. Role? LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980609044627.00677f34@Cybnetonline.com> Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 23:46:27 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Non-tmbg: Solipism At 07:26 PM 6/8/98 EST, Drunken Bird wrote: >> I don't know about this one, but there's a Philip K. Dick sci-fi novel that > > >Has anybody happen to see Howard: the Duck? that was kindof sci-fi. > Best movie ever made. It's up there with Short Circuit 2. LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 21:59:13 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Non-tmbg: Solipism Message-ID: I agree. I was very impressed to see that Jim Carry could actually act! Jon Helfgott, Although I have liquid in my eyes that dialate my pupils so that I can not see a letter of what I am typing, I can always rely on the fact that no matter how many typos I make in this letter none of you will say anything about them (right?) Noj Toggfleh ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 22:00:23 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: Other 2 studio cuts? Message-ID: I'm kinda out of it, but is this STD a new album by Them? Jon Helfgott ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 22:02:45 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: I Palindrome I Message-ID: try going to cdnow, they seem to have everything (by the way, the address is www.cdnow.com) On Mon, 8 Jun 1998, ingalls, christopher wrote: > > Hello everyone, I'm new to the list, so bear with me. First things > first: does anyone know where I can get a copy of the "I Palindrome I" > CD single (featuring the excellent Joshua Fried remix of "She's Actual > Size?") The official website doesn't have it in their catalog. > Thanks a lot, Chris > > > ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 22:08:47 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: Other 2 studio cuts? Message-ID: um, never mind, I just looked for myself on the Restless homepage and figured it out for myself Jon ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #7-9 ****************************