Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #8-10 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 8, Number 10 Friday, 10 July 1998 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Bad Words (was The F word) NON-TMBG: New Barenaked Ladies Re: TMBG: Good Words (was Bad Words, was The F word) Re: NON-TMBG: New Barenaked Ladies Re: TMBG: The state of the list address Re: NON-TMBG: New Barenaked Ladies Re: NON-TMBG: New Barenaked Ladies Re: NON-TMBG: New Barenaked Ladies Re: TMBG: The state of the list address TMBG: Istanbul single for Sale Re: NON-TMBG: Bad Words, etc. Re: NON-TMBG: New Barenaked Ladies NonTMBG: on the subject of new words Re: TMBG: The state of the list address TMBG: singles TMBG: Re: Uniposting Re: NON-TMBG: New Barenaked Ladies TMBG: Linnell Chat tonight? Re: TMBG: Linnell Chat tonight? Re: TMBG: Linnell Chat tonight? Re: TMBG: Linnell Chat tonight? Re: TMBG: Linnell Chat tonight? Re: TMBG: Linnell Chat tonight? TMBG: Linnell Chat Re: TMBG: Linnell Chat Re: TMBG: Linnell Chat tonight? Re: F*CK (was: TMBG: Last Night's Episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer...) TMBG: Tribute to Hal Re: TMBG: Tribute to Hal Re: NON-TMBG: New Barenaked Ladies Re: TMBG: Linnell Chat tonight? Re: TMBG: Linnell Chat Re: NON-TMBG: New Barenaked Ladies Re: TMBG: Singles Re: NON-TMBG: New Barenaked Ladies Re: TMBG: Linnell Chat tonight? TMBG: hi Re: NON-TMBG: New Barenaked Ladies Re: TMBG: Tribute to Hal TMBG: Linnell chat, secretive????? TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y Re: TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y Re: TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y TMBG: Vinyls TMBG: TMBG Geography.... final plea Re: TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y Re: TMBG: Vinyls TMBG: Not liking; ***hmmhmm***; & Hal, Dan, & Graham SEMI-TMBG: My Special Day. Non-TMBG: Envading one's privacy, sorta. TMBG: Weird Al and Undernet Re: TMBG: Weird Al and Undernet Re: TMBG: Weird Al and Undernet Re: TMBG: Weird Al and Undernet Re: TMBG: Weird Al and Undernet TMBG: Some Hell for you Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 20:30:30 -0500 (CDT) From: "Christopher M. Stangl" Subject: Re: TMBG: Bad Words (was The F word) Message-ID: On Tue, 7 Jul 1998, leonard helfgott wrote: > that's why I said I think. Okay... here we have a patently PERFECT answer to the question "Why should I quote pertinent parts of the message I am responding to?" I have absolutely NO idea whatsoever what the above post (which I have quoted in full) is referring to... li'l help? -Chris Stangl ------------------------------ Subject: NON-TMBG: New Barenaked Ladies Message-ID: <19980707.215356.4302.0.Superman75@juno.com> From: superman75@juno.com (Adam Schaaf) Date: Tue, 07 Jul 1998 21:53:25 EDT hi. i'm surprised no one has mentioned this so far today. the new BNL arrived. there's be some mighty fine music on this one. apparently, there are two version of the cd available. one has two extra tracks ("She's On Time", which is hilarious, and the twangy "Long Way Back Home"). they aren't listed on the track list, but if you pick up the "Limited Edition" of Stunt, you'll get them. it's also very nice to have the lyrics to "One Week." what i was singing wasn't even close. adam schaaf, who thinks the cover art looks like dave mckean. _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 19:08:13 -0700 From: Bob Gonsalves Subject: Re: TMBG: Good Words (was Bad Words, was The F word) >On Mon, 6 Jul 1998, leonard helfgott wrote: > >> sorry, euphonism. > > Try again. Third time's a charm. I suspect you're after >"euphemism". Now that the context is long gone... Maybe it's a neologism, a new word, meaning 'a good sound', i.e., what we think of Them. Isn't there a musical instrument called a euphonium? Bob Gonsalves, Research Director, Pink Noise Studios Art*Technology*Politics http://www.pinknoiz.com/ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 21:23:59 -0500 (CDT) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: New Barenaked Ladies Message-ID: On Tue, 7 Jul 1998, Adam Schaaf wrote: > i'm surprised no one has mentioned this so far today. the new BNL > arrived. there's be some mighty fine music on this one. Okay, here's going to be one of those posts that will piss off the likes of Bongo (for being non-TMBG) and Green Jello (for it is my second post in about two hours), but whatever. My ex-girlfriend told me the other day that Kevin Hearn, the "new" (he's still new to me...I miss Andy Creegan) "utility man" for BNL has....doh. Is it leukemia? I can't for the life of me remember. In any event, Kevin has a life-threatening illness. And that's upsetting...he's a great guy, and it's always cool to see him run in place while playing during concerts....wish him well. By the way...."utility man" is lifted from Pavement, who use that term to refer to member Bob Nastanovich. "Nasty" plays just about every instrument at some point during concerts, and he screams like, uh, a mothersomething-or-other. And that's basically what Kevin does during concerts as well... Bob Gonsalves said: > Isn't there a musical instrument called a euphonium? Yep. My instrument of choice, actually. For those who don't know, it's essentially a baritone, which is itself a smaller version of a tuba that plays in the same register (basically) as a trombone. It's not a baritone, however...baritones tend to be slightly smaller and pitched in B-flat. Love that fourth valve, baby! The Rev |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| | Reverend Bill Tatalovich | Home page: | | | http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/ | | wt3@cec.wustl.edu | feedback for toddlers e-zine: | | personnel@kwur.wustl.edu | coming soon on fortunecity.com!! | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980708024435.00706550@cybnetonline.com> Date: Tue, 07 Jul 1998 21:44:35 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: The state of the list address >LDB posted 9 times in 3 days, but he does think his posts through, now if we >could get him to just post it in one chunk But that wouldn't be soooooo fun. And I only choose to post to certain ones. Hell, I could post alot more, but again, where is the fun? Also I usualy cut down as you can see. Plus if I sent it all in one chunk I'd have a 9 line Topic line. >LDB - 10 line sig!!!! Woohoo, I kick ass. I got the ten line sig going on. Again, the sig could be longer, note I made one site that links to my various sites so you wouldn't gripe. Plus, I mention my comic characters from time to time in posts, therefore the copyright helps me from people ripping me off, as well as having to type it a million times in the course of six or seven days. Well, that's the end of it. Return to your tiny little insignificant lives. The LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980707225558.006a5860@130.127.28.14> Date: Tue, 07 Jul 1998 22:55:58 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: New Barenaked Ladies It definitely is a wonderful little album. I despised it on the first listen, but on the second listen, I decided to put on headphones and crank up the stereo, and I like it a lot more... :-) I bet it'll go platinum in the U.S.... Did anyone else get a free t-shirt with their purchase? It's a gray shirt with "Barenaked Athletics" printed on it. A t-shirt and the limited edition for $11.99 + tax is pretty darn good, IMO. :-) -Adam At 09:53 PM 7/7/98 EDT, Adam Schaaf wrote: >hi. > >i'm surprised no one has mentioned this so far today. the new BNL >arrived. there's be some mighty fine music on this one. apparently, >there are two version of the cd available. one has two extra tracks >("She's On Time", which is hilarious, and the twangy "Long Way Back >Home"). they aren't listed on the track list, but if you pick up the >"Limited Edition" of Stunt, you'll get them. it's also very nice to have >the >lyrics to "One Week." what i was singing wasn't even close. /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 23:14:27 EDT Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: New Barenaked Ladies In a message dated 7/7/98 10:35:05 PM, superman75@juno.comwrote: >i'm surprised no one has mentioned this so far today. well, i would have, but i figurd i'd get flamed. ;p ...this cd *is* fantastic....amazing.. sarah ------------------------------ Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: New Barenaked Ladies Message-ID: <19980707.233113.4078.0.Superman75@juno.com> From: superman75@juno.com (Adam Schaaf) Date: Tue, 07 Jul 1998 23:30:47 EDT hi. >Did anyone else get a free t-shirt with their purchase? It's a gray shirt >with "Barenaked Athletics" printed on it. A t-shirt and the limited >edition for $11.99 + tax is pretty darn good, IMO. :-) t-shirt?!? those bums at Tunes had a whole box of gray shirts behind the counter when i bought the cd. the limited one too. i think i'm going to have to go raise some trouble. adam schaaf, i'm as mad as hell, and i'm not going to take it anymore. _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980708033852.24347.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Sarah Starr" Subject: Re: TMBG: The state of the list address Date: Tue, 07 Jul 1998 20:38:52 PDT >>LDB - 10 line sig!!!! >Woohoo, I kick ass. I got the ten line sig going on. I bet green jello is glad i don't post too much....behold----my 24 line sig!!!!! hahahahah! :) Sarah faye the vampire princess http://www.angelfire.com/ca/sarianway sarian@hotmail.com FingerOfMyGlove@tmbg.org marymae@hotmail.com lindramine@hotmail.com "What is everyone staring at? What is everyone looking at? Haven't they seen two people in love? What is everyone staring at?" --They Might Be Giants Goth Code v3.1A: GoAu5Sa2$ TJtYrvYin5 PMoShDe B8/14Bk"1 cBrBkNr-w7 V6 M3 ZTetIpMehClb C6o a18- n4 b27 H157 g4T0897A mEa7@Z4 w6T v5ME r2BI p41555Rd D77! h5(TSeYinYrvPGMo) sF5M SsmYn k6Mmsp N1196EWH RdS*2 LusNY6 ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3594ED08.74D5@stlnet.com> Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 06:00:56 -0700 From: Pat Acquisto Subject: TMBG: Istanbul single for Sale I have an extra copy of the Istanbul (not constantinople) single on C.D.(w\ James K. Polk, Stormy Pinkness, Ant, and The Brownsville Mix of Istanbul) I am willing to sell it to the highest bidder. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 21:56:22 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Bad Words, etc. Message-ID: if none of you can think of a reason that people shouldn't post in one cover-all-bases message, then here's one. Jon is a proud member of the TMBG mailing list. One day, Jon checks the list, and sees three conversations that interest him enough to respond to, one between Jane and Jim, one between Harry and Sally, and one between Jack and Jill. Jon sees the conversation between Jack and Jill last, and decides to save everyone time by responding to all three conversations at once, but the subject line was the same as the one in the conversation between Jack and Jill. The next day, Jack and Jill read their mail, and see Jon's message. Jane, Jim, Harry, and Sally all browse over the message, because it's about a conversation that they don't really care about, and they miss Jon's post. The End Cap'n Helfgott ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 21:59:41 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: New Barenaked Ladies Message-ID: I haven't posted about the album because it's kind of old news for me, since two record stores in my town have the advance copy. I'm planning on buying the new album (which, by the way, is called Stunt) as soon as I get the fundage. Cap'n Helfgott ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 22:02:05 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: NonTMBG: on the subject of new words Message-ID: for a new word, although it has no tmbg relevance (sp?), I like POSTPYROPHOBICIDE-killing someone who used to be afraid of fire, and CARNOSPHERE- and alternative word for meatball Cap'n Helfgott ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 22:04:47 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: The state of the list address Message-ID: Yeah, well I get the award for posting the most times in recent days! That must be the reason that I am truly the Cap'n. So long all you people who hate me for posting so much. Cap'n Helfgott ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199807080622.QAA18306@sydney.healey.com.au> Date: Wed, 08 Jul 1998 16:19:54 +1000 From: Easy Friend Subject: TMBG: singles >Well, I suppose this is a hopeless question, but does anybody know where >I can get either "The Guitar", "I Palindrome I", or Birdhouse In Your >Soul" singles (preferably on CD, but any format's fine)? Yeah, second hand shops for sure. I have got the guitar on 12" and cd from second hand shops. Just look long and hard and regularly. You will definitely find them if you're in the right city. I'm in Sydney and they have tmbg stuff around the place for sure. You just have to be in the right place at the right time. Actually, I also got the birdhouse 7" and dls 12" from places too. >Also, at www.tmbg.com, it says that "Don't Let's Start" and "(She Was A) >Hotel Detective" are available on CD, LP, and Cassette, but in the >newsletter, it says it's only available on LP and Cassette. So, is it >really available on CD or not? Thanks. Yeah, I got my two cds and they're the tiny ones. You know them really cool ones? Well they're the ones anyway and yeah... that's it. Don;t know where you;re going to get them from though. BYE!!! Ad. &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& & See me, my life, my friends & & http://www.healey.com.au/~ad/ & &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001b01bdaa73$5bcd8b00$ac061ecf@default> From: "Green Jello" Subject: TMBG: Re: Uniposting Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 09:21:45 -0400 The Cap'n said: >if none of you can think of a reason that people shouldn't post in one >cover-all-bases message, then here's one. Cap'n... that's why Jon would be smart to change the subject line (you CAN do that, but maybe you didn't know that b/c you still had Bad Words, etc as your subject line) from: Re:Jack & Jill and their love of Ana Ng to: Re:Thoughts on Ana Ng, Favorite albums and Recent shows ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <1aab2b0.35a374e9@aol.com> Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 09:32:24 EDT Subject: Re: Re: NON-TMBG: New Barenaked Ladies In a message dated 7/7/98 12:21:59 AM, wt3@cec.wustl.edu wrote: >My ex-girlfriend told me the other day >that Kevin Hearn, the "new" (he's still new to me...I miss Andy Creegan) >"utility man" for BNL has....doh. Is it leukemia? he's had the bone marrow transplant and he's currently recovering. chris brown of the bourbon tabernacle choir is filling in for him, and honestly, looks like he could be kevin's brother. sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35A37932.41EE@rica.net> Date: Wed, 08 Jul 1998 09:50:42 -0400 From: Joey Groah Subject: TMBG: Linnell Chat tonight? The chat board at TMBG.com has an announcement that Linnell will be chatting tonight(7/8) at 8:00 eastern, 7:00 central. Joey, will be serving dead animal to rednecks at 8:00. Somebody get a transcript if you can, please. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980708142811.26914.rocketmail@web4.rocketmail.com> Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 07:28:11 -0700 (PDT) From: Danielle Gaither Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell Chat tonight? ---Joey Groah wrote: > > The chat board at TMBG.com has an announcement that Linnell will be > chatting tonight(7/8) at 8:00 eastern, 7:00 central. Not to rain on your parade, but I'm a bit skeptical, considering such announcements have already occurred twice, only for there to be an impostor both times. Maybe it's legit, but be prepared for the prospect that it's yet another hoax. Keeping her eyes open, Inspector Over the Mine === URL: http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/1054/index.html "Should you worry when the skullhead is in front of you, or is it worse because it's always waiting where your eyes don't go?" --They Might Be Giants _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199807081447.WAA25293@vector.wantree.com.au> From: "Carla Stagles" Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell Chat tonight? Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 22:47:50 +0800 > > The chat board at TMBG.com has an announcement that Linnell will be > > chatting tonight(7/8) at 8:00 eastern, 7:00 central. > Not to rain on your parade, but I'm a bit skeptical, considering such > announcements have already occurred twice, only for there to be an impostor > both times. i am a new dude around here (hi guys! nice to meet you) so can somebody excuse my ignorance and tell me about the "other" times... are there people gallivanting around PRETENDING to be john linnell?? if so, do they do parties? no, seriously, i really do want to know. how did the faker get tripped up, who are these people, who puts them up to it... to quote a great song "why why why?" thanks, sorry for being a newbie Cedra "and i think about the dirt that I'll be wearing for a shirt" ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980708105430.006a3f04@130.127.28.14> Date: Wed, 08 Jul 1998 10:54:30 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell Chat tonight? At 10:47 PM 7/8/98 +0800, Carla Stagles wrote: > >no, seriously, i really do want to know. how did the faker get tripped up, >who are these people, who puts them up to it... to quote a great song "why >why why?" The sad thing is that the imposters are usually reeeeeally obviously fake. There are enough idiots on the chat that if the imposter can spout off a couple of easily known facts (the last video Flans directed, the name of the new single), people will be utterly convinced that it's them. The easiest way to trip them up - if you click on the name of a person chatting, you'll get a host name or an IP address. Run a traceroute on that address or host name, and see where it goes. If it doesn't go to NY, it's definitely not them. If it goes to NY, it's still probably not them, but it's a dead giveaway otherwise. :-) -Adam /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980708104109.0069b510@130.127.28.14> Date: Wed, 08 Jul 1998 10:41:09 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell Chat tonight? At 07:28 AM 7/8/98 -0700, Danielle Gaither wrote: >Not to rain on your parade, but I'm a bit skeptical, considering such >announcements have already occurred twice, only for there to be an impostor >both times. Absolutely. Until you see something posted on an actual page at tmbg.com, I'd disregard anything you hear. -Adam /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980708150240.1783.rocketmail@web4.rocketmail.com> Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 08:02:40 -0700 (PDT) From: Danielle Gaither Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell Chat tonight? ---Carla Stagles wrote: > i am a new dude around here (hi guys! nice to meet you) Hi! Or, perhaps (as your email addy implies) a nice "g'day" would be more appropriate. So, g'day! Welcome to the nuthouse, er, birdhouse, er, whatever. > so can somebody > excuse my ignorance and tell me about the "other" times... are there people > gallivanting around PRETENDING to be john linnell?? if so, do they do > parties? Actually, it hasn't been mentioned much on the list here, so don't feel bad. Most of the talk about it has been on the message board at tmbg.org. And yes, there is someone impersonating Linnell (online, anyway). I don't know if he does parties, but truth be told, *I* could (at least online) do a better impersonation than this guy. > no, seriously, i really do want to know. how did the faker get tripped up, > who are these people, who puts them up to it... to quote a great song "why > why why?" No "people," just one guy. The first time he confessed. The second time, everyone pretty much just figured it was him. I don't know what or who puts him up to it, or why. In my hopelessly arrogant opinion, it's a pretty crappy thing to do. Perhaps Leo can shed a little more information on this issue than I can. Or not; I don't know what all he knows. > thanks, > sorry for being a newbie Don't be sorry; you've asked perfectly legitimate questions. Your knowledge will increase in time. :) > Cedra > "and i think about the dirt that I'll be wearing for a shirt" Happy to see a new face, Inspector Over the Mine === URL: http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/1054/index.html "Should you worry when the skullhead is in front of you, or is it worse because it's always waiting where your eyes don't go?" --They Might Be Giants _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Message-Id: <199807081518.LAA24967@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: Linnell Chat Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 11:18:03 -0400 (EDT) Some of the facts I know: 1) I have been told nothing about any online chats by John or John. I'm not always in the loop on such things, so they may have not told me, but I do get notice on most of the web/computer things. 2) There has been no mention of any of this on the web server. I would have to believe if they were going to do a chat they would put it on their web server, where there is some control over the information presented. 3) The people I have seen on the chat room impersonating the John's do a lousy job. They can't answer basic questions correctly, and just ignore hard, telling questions. They are clearly imposters. I believe PT Barnum said it best, "There's a sucker born every minute." -- Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org Systems Engineer - Internetworking Engineer - CCIE 3440 Read TMBG List - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org, www.tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35A38FA9.5396@rica.net> Date: Wed, 08 Jul 1998 11:26:33 -0400 From: Joey Groah Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell Chat > > Some of the facts I know: > > 1) I have been told nothing about any online chats by John or John. > I'm not always in the loop on such things, so they may have not > told me, but I do get notice on most of the web/computer things. > > 2) There has been no mention of any of this on the web server. I > would have to believe if they were going to do a chat they would > put it on their web server, where there is some control over the > information presented. > > 3) The people I have seen on the chat room impersonating the John's > do a lousy job. They can't answer basic questions correctly, and > just ignore hard, telling questions. They are clearly imposters. > > I believe PT Barnum said it best, "There's a sucker born every > minute." > I was a tad skeptical about the chat, but with my luck it'd have been tonight. Thanks for clearing that up. Joey, sure I'll buy your bridge in Brooklyn ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199807081528.XAA32090@vector.wantree.com.au> From: "Carla Stagles" Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell Chat tonight? Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 23:28:55 +0800 thanks for that wonderful welcome! it's enough to make an Aussie blush ;) this "thing" on the TMBG chat thing-a-mee (called announcement) which i assumed was a bot (too much time on oz.org) but which might just have been a really concise human.. said; "THE RUMOUR IS NOT TRUE *buzz click*" so there you go... weep day for us again, it seems. thanks again :) carla "it's sambo time for tambo" ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980708161113.29388.rocketmail@send1d.yahoomail.com> Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 09:11:13 -0700 (PDT) From: Leanne Fraser Subject: Re: F*CK (was: TMBG: Last Night's Episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer...) ---leonard helfgott wrote: > > what about mutherf*cker, holyf*ckinshit, that's all I can think of, > > I don't know if I am too late for this, You'll have to excuse, I don't get online more than twice a week, but my all time favorite is Absof*ckinlutely. Thats all. Eternal Grooviness, Leanne == Leanne "Shared sorrow is lessened, Shared joy is increased." Spider Robinson (Callahans Crosstime Saloon) _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 13:19:34 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Tribute to Hal Message-ID: <19980708.131937.16566.0.jonhuot@juno.com> From: jonhuot@juno.com (Jonathan P Huot) Upon hearing the news that Hal has moved on (Probably to tour with Mono Puff among other things) It got me to thinking about the times I had seen him in concert. The most memorable was a show up in Boston at the Avolon last April. While we waited outside for the doors to open, Hal walked by and we all said Hi to him. He smiled and waved back. A small contact but a contact none the less. The show was the best TMBG show I've ever been to. (I've been to 6 shows) During the show, they played the best version of The Guitar that I have ever heard. Flans called it "The Base Guitar", and rightfully so. Hal rocked. It was absolutely amazing. That, too, was the night that I meet Flans as My Girlfriend and I went to buy yet another T-Shirt. (I have lost count how many I have now) Flans was in the back signing autographs. He signed the t-shirt I was wearing, (the dial-a-song one with the four birds) and I said, "You guy's are geniuses." To which he replied, "Well, you are the real genius for recognizing our OKness." I was speechless. Cool huh. Oh yea, Hal. The following week I saw them with Lincoln at Clark U. and Graham was playing base. I think that both Graham and Hal both bring their own special qualities to TMBG. I like the addition of Graham vocals, but Hal is clearly the better base player. I just wish him success in whatever he does. _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 08 Jul 1998 12:41:49 -0500 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: TMBG: Tribute to Hal Message-id: <35A3AF5D.24D42502@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> Jonathan P Huot wrote: > > Upon hearing the news that Hal has moved on (Probably to tour with Mono > Puff among other things) It got me to thinking about the times I had seen I would guess "among other things" would be the more of it. Mono Puff and TMBG share another member that is pretty important in both groups. If Flans can get away with two-timing, Hal could have also. I've actually never seen a Hal Cragin TMBG show. I've seen a Drum Machine show. I've seen a couple Tony shows and a couple Graham shows. But from listening to Mono Puff, I think Hal has some good stylings. I still like Graham better though, probably because he was more well-rounded in the group, with the vocals and the crisp bass work. I'd probably like Tony more, but one of the shows I saw, he let the drummer beat his bass to death with his sticks. And maybe if I'd actually seen Hal play at a show, he'd be closer to Maby in my mind. Alas, it may be awhile before I see that. Oh well, fond bass memories and I look forward to hearing this new Dan and what he's got to bring to the table. Hey, just a questions, are all the tracks on STD Maby bass? - Chad "My .sig is normally only one line, but can stretch to be much longer when I can't think of anything succinct and Leffel-esque to place in these quotes here, you know" Maloney ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 10:56:03 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: Re: NON-TMBG: New Barenaked Ladies Message-ID: Does anyone here know if BNL is touring their new album? Cap'n Helfgott ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 10:59:24 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell Chat tonight? Message-ID: I went to tmbg.com, and I couldn't find the chatline! can anyone help? Cap'n Helfgott P.S. also, I recently set up a geocities account, my first, and I have no clue where to access the e-mail account, and I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could point me in the right direction. Thanks. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 11:01:40 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell Chat Message-ID: a small trivial fact. P.T. Barnum didn't compose the quote"there's a sucker born every minute", rather one of his competitors in the schemors (sp?) market made it up thinking that it was a fitting line for Barnum, and it stuck. Cap'n Helfgott ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 08 Jul 1998 13:05:36 -0500 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: New Barenaked Ladies Message-id: <35A3B4F0.ADF02256@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> leonard helfgott wrote: > > Does anyone here know if BNL is touring their new album? BNL is on Horde Tour all summer I think. - Chad "I considered using more than a one-line answer, but I though that wouldn't be appropriate. But I really wanted to point people at the list of Horde dates at http://www.bluestraveler.com/navigation/navigation.html but I guess I won't get a chance to do that. Sorry" Maloney ------------------------------ Message-Id: <35a3b54e2daa002@garnet.tc.umn.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Singles Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 13:07:10 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org: >Well, I suppose this is a hopeless question, but does anybody know where >I can get either "The Guitar", "I Palindrome I", or Birdhouse In Your >Soul" singles (preferably on CD, but any format's fine)? I found the first two at a Best Buy in my area (several years ago). I have never seen the third. I would imagine you could special-order them from your favorite local record shop if they're still around. I got my Istanbul single (out of print) via cdconnection.com a very long time ago. They might still have a few, if they still exist. Other places to find random singles are the "we buy/sell/trade cd" stores (Cheapo and Disc-Go-Round in this area). I acquired the They'll Need a Crane tape-single this way... %% Chris Bongaarts %% Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu %% http://umn.edu/~cab %% U of Minnesota %% CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) %% Stop Plate Tectonics! ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 14:09:00 EDT Subject: Re: Re: Re: NON-TMBG: New Barenaked Ladies In a message dated 7/8/98 1:03:52 PM, helfgott@cc.wwu.edu wrote: >Does anyone here know if BNL is touring their new album? HORDE (which i'm not going to even though i have 2 opportunities, due to several reasons, mostly being: no $; no one wants to go with me ; and i don't like any other of the bands, in fact, i hate most of them:)). until this fall, then they'll tour solo in october. and i get to see 'em then, so ...screw horde.:) sarah ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 08 Jul 1998 13:10:22 -0500 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell Chat tonight? Message-id: <35A3B60E.2509B7CA@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> leonard helfgott wrote: > > I went to tmbg.com, and I couldn't find the chatline! can anyone help? This maybe far off, but you might try going to http://www.tmbg.com and clicking on TMBG Chat Root. - Chad "It does matter if the skullhead is right in front of you, almost taunting you, laughing, mocking your very existence" Maloney ------------------------------ From: TMBGChris@aol.com Message-ID: <356ef4b4.35a3b8a5@aol.com> Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 14:21:24 EDT Subject: TMBG: hi hey guys, just joined the list. Just wanted to say hi. chris ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 11:33:05 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: Re: Re: NON-TMBG: New Barenaked Ladies Message-ID: what about Ben Harper? Cap'n Helfgott ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 15:08:20 -0400 (EDT) From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Tribute to Hal > >Upon hearing the news that Hal has moved on (Probably to tour with Mono >Puff among other things) It got me to thinking about the times I had seen >him in concert. The most memorable was a show up in Boston at the Avolon >last April. While we waited outside for the doors to open, Hal walked by >and we all said Hi to him. He smiled and waved back. A small contact >but a contact none the less. When I saw TMBG at Alma College last October, I think it was only Hal's fifth or sixth show with them. Flans came out front to sign autographs, but I saw Hal standing behind the little barricade they'd put up in the hallway. So, I slipped over there, and said, "Hey Hal! Would you sign my setlist?" He gave me a huge smile and said, "Sure!" and talked to me for a few minutes. I thought it was really cool, and I kinda thought it might've made him happy, 'cause not that many people knew who he was. Then I went and got Flansy's autograph, and we discussed Michigan geography. ;) Kirsten -- [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] "And she said losing love is like a window in your heart Everybody sees you're blown apart..." - Paul Simon "Graceland" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980708192543.21500.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: TMBG: Linnell chat, secretive????? Date: Wed, 08 Jul 1998 12:25:42 PDT Yo, people- Question for Joey: Where is it that you heard about the whole John thingie????? No one ealse has heard about it, so where does your info come from??? Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com "Zoot Suit Riot... Throw back a bottle o' beer..." --Cherry Poppin' Daddies ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 13:45:28 -0600 (MDT) From: Scot Westwood Subject: TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y Message-ID: I thought I'd share my joy. I got the S-E-X-X-Y 12" promo this monday. It has 5-tracks, really cool. I got it from Black rhythm records, it took them less than a week to get it to me, which is good considering they're in the Netherlands, and that musicstrip.com took 4 weeks to get me the S-E-X-X-Y cd single. I know most of you die-hard fan probably already have it so sorry to waste your time, but for those of you who are interested you can look it up at blackrythm.com, its $8.99 and they have extremely good service. Scot ------------------------------ From: TMBGChris@aol.com Message-ID: <9df24144.35a3d95c@aol.com> Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 16:40:59 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y Hey, I got the S-E-X-X-Y EP last week and it is pretty good. The three tracks other than S-E-X-X-Y are good. S-E-X-X-Y is pretty good. I got the Sun EP a couple a weeks ago and it is a GREAT cd all the songs on it are really good. Anyone else have the Sun EP??? thanks Chris ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 17:01:58 EDT Subject: Re: Re: TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y In a message dated 7/8/98 4:50:33 PM, TMBGChris@aol.com wrote: > >I got the S-E-X-X-Y EP last week and it is pretty good. The three tracks other >than S-E-X-X-Y are good. S-E-X-X-Y is pretty good. i like WGAWTS on there the best. so cuuute.. :) "unforgotten" i still really haven't warmed up to totally. i don't mind the remix of SEXXY even though some people hate it..but a friend of mine taped me the "tee's freeze mix" of SEXXY from the vinyl one and it's so much better. puts the warren rigg one to shame:) >I got the Sun EP a couple a weeks ago and it is a GREAT cd all the songs on it >are really good. > i'm kinda tired of it.. not that i still don't like it, but.. i could do without more "spy" ..although it is nice to have an alternate version. Back to Skull & Istanbul are my favourite EP's ..that i own, on cd... my dub of the guitar one got eaten in the car. >:( sarah "i never told you 'i told you so', but i told you so" ~ barenaked ladies ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 16:06:59 -0400 (EDT) From: Karri Vasara Subject: TMBG: Vinyls Message-ID: Has anyone ever purchased TMBG LPs? I was just wondering if they were made with good quality. So many times I get disappointed because LPs are cut so poorly. Karri Vasara vasara@eng.usf.edu ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 16:06:35 -0700 (PDT) From: Alon Yaari Subject: TMBG: TMBG Geography.... final plea Message-ID: This is the last time I shall post this... (Remember, if you have already responded, don't respond again!) A request to TMBG fans who read this list! I am requesting the geographical location of all people who read this list, this means YOU if you can read this. Just the following info: City State Zip Code If you are away for school, send me the info for your home and your school. If you're from outside the US, then supply me with some way of locating you on a map. Besides enjoying just mapping things, I'm somewhat interested in the geographical spread of TMBG fans. My hypothesis going into this is that the map will cluster about New York city, but it's too early to tell yet. If you have not sent it in, please do! I will repost this message occasionally until I get enough respondents... -The Yar Geographer ------------------------------ From: MsTanbul@aol.com Message-ID: <634720b3.35a3fd7c@aol.com> Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 19:15:07 EDT Subject: Re: Re: TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y "Back To Skull" and "The Guitar" are my faves, but I don't have the S-E-X-X-Y single. Wasn't there 2 versions? If there was a 3 song and a 5 song version, how come Chris's had 4? why don't I remember what they were? oh yeah, 'cause I don't have them. Marianne ------------------------------ From: MsTanbul@aol.com Message-ID: <52104050.35a3ff54@aol.com> Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 19:22:59 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Vinyls In a message dated 08-07-1998 4:12:23 PM, vasara@eng.usf.edu writes: <> I had "Lincoln" and "Flood" on vinyl, but I lent them to the wrong person. Grrrr. Anyway, my bitterness aside, it was GREAT having them on vinyl. The music quality was fine, but there was the visual treat as well, with messages inscribed on the vinyl. Of course, this is what I remember... that there was something written on the vinyl... but since I haven't had them in my posession since 1992 I don't remember what they said. I'm getting old. Marianne ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 19:29:38 EDT Subject: TMBG: Not liking; ***hmmhmm***; & Hal, Dan, & Graham I know someone who doesn't like TMBG (I know someone else wh mentioned this) & most of those Anti-TMBG people are pretty cool too (if you know them, I suppose if you don't they seem like jerks). Did you know that depending on how it's used "penis" can or can not be said on the radio? If it's talking about the body part, you can say it, however, technically, you can not call someone a penis on the radio...oh, & you can say bitch, if you recall that wonderful episode of the Simpsons when Santa's Little Helper had children...(in another episode there's a sign that says "severe tire damage" if you didn't know what it meant) On a related note, how come some bands get away without radio edits? It's really weird. I've heard some bands get away with even saying f*ck & no one catches it & yet other bands have to edit damn...it's just crazy... Oh & I like Graham a lot...i really do...hal was good, but to me, Graham is great, Graham is good, let us thank him for touring with TMBG for a while....Hal is probably not touring with TMBG because he is probably in a greater demand (the guy used to play for Iggy Pop, if I remember correctly & has something called Jazz Ape, I believe...so I imagine he's busy...) jason "this message was long" glastetter http://www.poingly.com <~~~~the ad, people! Let's get moving! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35A41315.5AB0@stlnet.com> Date: Wed, 08 Jul 1998 18:49:07 -0600 From: Lynne Subject: SEMI-TMBG: My Special Day. Hey. I just thought I'd share my cool day with you all, since it kinda happened cuz of TMBG! Today I got to borrow the S-E-X-X-Y Single, The Guitar single, and the Back to Skull single! Now I just have to get them CD copied... Also, during my lunch break at work we decided to go to Long John Silver's which just so happened to be right next to Best Buy. So we decided to go into Best Buy to abuse the free video games and to kick the little kids playing the games off so we could play NHL '98... Anyways, after we were done, I just thought I'd check the Giants section, more out of habit than anything, since I knew they wouldn't have anything new. All of sudden I look next to me and who do I see?? Al MacInnis!! (for those of you who are not familiar with him, he is the All-Star Defenseman for the St. Louis Blues, #2) I said, "Are you...?" He said, "Yup." He said, "How are ya?" I said, "....." He said, "How are ya?" I said, " Fine" Then, like an idiot(I'm sure you all know that we all tend to say stupid stuff to famous people), I said, "You're the man."(cuz he is) He said, "Thanks." I then shook his hand profusely. Then my idiot friend comes up perfectly calm and says, "Hey man, thanks for resigning."(since Brett Hull didn't....grrrr...), making me look dumb. Oh, well. Just thought I'd share my eventful day due to TMBG. Thanks. Chris chrisl@tmbg.org "Save the whales. Collect the whole set." ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980709004045.9484.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: Non-TMBG: Envading one's privacy, sorta. Date: Wed, 08 Jul 1998 17:40:45 PDT Hey! Does anyone know how I could pull up someones DMV, Police, And birth records on the internet??? Or, for that matter, any personal information at all??? I'm desperate to find out about a person, in a undercover kinda way. Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com "And you must really see if you you want to be a spy, like me." --They Might Be Giants ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35A42551.A9287FA0@softhome.net> Date: Wed, 08 Jul 1998 21:05:05 -0500 From: melissa Subject: TMBG: Weird Al and Undernet I knew about the Weird Al show for a while, but does anyone know when [and if] it is aired anymore? Oh yeah, and for anyone who cares, Undernet #tmbg is 20 times better than Efnet! It even has yours truly! :P "Why are you punishing me THIS time?"-Zorak "Because you're evil"-Space Ghost p.s. that reminds me...the new season of SGC2C [thats Space Ghost Coast to Coast..] starts in august, and features and exclusive interview with none other than John Flansburgh! So be there, baby! ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <4a10c92d.35a4195e@aol.com> Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 21:14:05 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Weird Al and Undernet In a message dated 7/8/98 9:05:13 PM, tmbgnut@softhome.net wrote: >p.s. that reminds me...the new season of SGC2C [thats Space Ghost Coast >to Coast..] starts in august, and features and exclusive interview with >none other than John Flansburgh! So be there, baby! august eh? *finally*??? wow, wait any longer and it'll have been 2 years since he freakin' did it.. those cartoon network people are some lazy ass people, aren't they? :) sarah~ http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980709015029.2121.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: Re: TMBG: Weird Al and Undernet Date: Wed, 08 Jul 1998 18:50:29 PDT > those cartoon network people are some lazy ass people, >aren't they? :) > Sounds to me like John's the one who hasn't done anything. ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: TMBGChris@aol.com Message-ID: <3a6e4aa.35a4237b@aol.com> Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 21:57:14 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Weird Al and Undernet hi The Weird Al show did come on CBS on Sat. It was pretty good. I come on at 11 or 11:30 see ya Chris ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980709020038.00710b44@cybnetonline.com> Date: Wed, 08 Jul 1998 21:00:38 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: Weird Al and Undernet At 06:50 PM 7/8/98 PDT, Josh Buckland wrote: >> those cartoon network people are some lazy ass people, >>aren't they? :) It takes awhile to animate something, even if it's the Cartoon planet animation. A regular cartoon takes about 3 months a piece. LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980709021548.25241.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Evil's Secret Agent" Subject: TMBG: Some Hell for you Date: Wed, 08 Jul 1998 19:15:46 PDT Z-1405.2 _______________________________________________ HOUSE BILL 2752 _______________________________________________ State of Washington 55th Legislature 1998 Regular Session By Representatives Bush, Crouse, Gardner, Cairnes, Dyer, Mulliken, Morris, Linville, Reams, Romero, Smith, McDonald, Ogden, Dickerson, Butler, O'Brien, Ballasiotes, Talcott and Appelwick; by request of Attorney General Read first time 01/19/98. Referred to Committee on Energy & Utilities. AN ACT Relating to electronic mail; adding a new chapter to Title 19 RCW; and prescribing penalties. BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON: {+ NEW SECTION. +} Sec. 1. The legislature finds that the volume of unsolicited electronic mail has grown exponentially in the past year as individuals and organizations have discovered that they are able to send electronic advertisements to hundreds of thousands or millions of internet users at virtually no cost. Unsolicited commercial electronic mail messages constitute the majority of unsolicited electronic mail. Unsolicited commercial electronic mail messages often impose an out-of-pocket monetary cost on recipients who cannot refuse such messages and incur incremental fees for time spent accessing and reviewing each message. To the recipient, unsolicited commercial electronic mail messages are often indistinguishable from other electronic mail messages. The unsolicited messages thus diminish the utility of electronic mail service because users must wade through unwanted advertisements to obtain those messages they wish to receive. Unsolicited commercial electronic mail messages cannot be effectively blocked and, thus, invade the privacy of recipients. This invasion of privacy is exacerbated for recipients whose electronic mail service issues an alert for each message received, resulting in repeated disruption of computer use. Advertisers may reach electronic mail users by less intrusive means, means which do not impose the cost of unwanted advertisements on recipients and do not interfere with recipients' ability to use electronic mail service. Advertisers may also continue to use electronic mail as a low-cost method of reaching a wide audience, if their mailings are solicited. Unsolicited electronic mail sent in bulk often imposes significant monetary costs on interactive computer services, businesses, and educational and nonprofit institutes because they must divert a significant portion of their limited computing resources to processing and storing those messages and to responding to ensuing complaints by recipients. Unsolicited electronic mail is increasingly diminishing the quality of service provided to customers of interactive computer services and is harming the interactive computer services themselves. {+ NEW SECTION. +} Sec. 2. The definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter unless the context clearly requires otherwise. (1) "Electronic mail address" means a destination, commonly expressed as a string of characters, to which electronic mail may be sent or delivered. (2) "Initiate the transmission" refers to the action by the original sender of an electronic mail message, not to the action by any intervening interactive computer service that may handle or retransmit the message, unless the intervening interactive computer service retransmits the message with an intent to engage in activities prohibited by this section. (3) "Interactive computer service" means any information service, system, or access software provider that provides or enables computer access by multiple users to a computer server, including specifically a service or system that provides access to the internet and such systems operated or services offered by libraries or educational institutions. {+ NEW SECTION. +} Sec. 3. (1) No person, corporation, partnership, or association may initiate the transmission of an unsolicited electronic mail message from a computer located in Washington or to a Washington resident's electronic mail address, to promote real property, goods, or services for purchase or lease by the recipient. (2) Except as provided in subsection (3) of this section, this section does not apply to: (a) An electronic mail message intended to be delivered exclusively to existing customers who have previously purchased or leased goods or services from the sender; (b) an electronic mail message sent for the purpose of collecting an existing obligation; or (c) an electronic mail message sent with the consent of all intended recipients. However, if an existing customer provides to a business written or electronic notice that the customer does not wish to receive further electronic mail messages from that business, the business shall not send the customer any further unsolicited electronic mail messages. (3) A person may not initiate an unsolicited electronic mail message under the provisions of subsection (2) of this section if the person knows or reasonably should know that any of the recipients is a governmental entity, unless that entity has consented to the receipt of the electronic mail message. {+ NEW SECTION. +} Sec. 4. (1) If a person, corporation, partnership, or association initiates the transmission of an unsolicited commercial electronic mail message from a computer located in Washington or to a Washington resident's electronic mail address to promote real property, goods, or services for purchase or lease by the recipient, that person or entity shall cause the following information to appear in each electronic mail message transmitted: (a) The term "advertisement"; and (b) The legal name, mailing address, true electronic mail address, physical address, and telephone number, including area code, of the person, corporation, partnership, or association initiating transmission of the message and the date and time the message was sent. (2) The information specified in subsection (1)(a) of this section must appear as the first word on the subject line of the electronic mail message, without any prior text or symbol. (3) The information specified in subsection (1)(b) of this section must appear prominently in the body of the message. {+ NEW SECTION. +} Sec. 5. The unsolicited transmission of electronic mail messages promoting real property, goods, or services for purchase or lease by the recipient in violation of this section is a matter affecting the public interest for the purpose of applying the consumer protection act, chapter 19.86 RCW. The transmission of unsolicited electronic mail messages in violation of this section is not reasonable in relation to the development and preservation of business. A violation of this section is an unfair or deceptive act in trade or commerce for the purpose of applying the consumer protection act, chapter 19.86 RCW. {+ NEW SECTION. +} Sec. 6. (1) Damages to the recipient of an unsolicited electronic mail message sent in violation of this section are five hundred dollars, or actual damages, whichever is greater. (2) Damages to an interactive computer service resulting from a violation of this section are one thousand dollars, or actual damages, whichever is greater. {+ NEW SECTION. +} Sec. 7. (1) An interactive computer service may, upon its own initiative, block the receipt or transmission through its service of any electronic mail which it reasonably believes is, or will be, sent in violation of this chapter. (2) No interactive computer service may be held liable for any action voluntarily taken in good faith to block the receipt or transmission through its service of any electronic mail which it reasonably believes is, or will be, sent in violation of this section. {+ NEW SECTION. +} Sec. 8. Sections 1 through 7 of this act constitute a new chapter in Title 19 RCW. --- END --- ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #8-10 *****************************