Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #8-11 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 8, Number 11 Saturday, 11 July 1998 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Weird Al and Undernet Re: TMBG: Weird Al and Undernet Re: TMBG: Linnell chat, secretive????? Re: TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y Re: TMBG: Undernet vs. EFnet + Worms + New CD Player Semi-TMBG: EFnet vs. Undernet IRC Re: TMBG: Weird Al and Undernet Re: Semi-TMBG: EFnet vs. Undernet IRC Re: TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y TMBG: Dr. Worm on the Radio! TMBG: TMBG on 104 Re: TMBG: TMBG on 104 TMBG: "Netiquette": I expect that it doesn't matter to Mrs. Chain TMBG: John Henry Re: TMBG: "Netiquette": I expect that it doesn't matter to NON-TMBG: The Anti-Chain Letter Re: TMBG: John Henry Re: TMBG: John Henry Re: TMBG: Weird Al and Undernet Re: TMBG: "Netiquette": I expect that it doesn't matter to Mrs. Chain NON-TMBG: Goddamn asshole, phukit TMBG: off topic vote Re: TMBG: off topic vote NON-TMBG: off topic vote TMBG: This disc thingy what has songs on it Re: TMBG: off topic vote Re: NON-TMBG: Weird Al show NON-TMBG: off topic vote and other things Re: (non?)TMBG: bad words Re: Semi-TMBG: EFnet vs. Undernet IRC TMBG:New Bassist & Corrupting the Kiddies Re: NON-TMBG: sexual harassment TMBG: Last Night's Episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer... Re: TMBG: off topic vote Re: semi-TMBG: "Netiquette" Re: semi-TMBG: "Netiquette" CALL FOR RESPONSE Re: TMBG: off topic vote Re: semi-TMBG: "Netiquette" Re: semi-TMBG: "Netiquette" CALL FOR RESPONSE Re: semi-TMBG: "Netiquette" CALL FOR RESPONSE TMBG: The ONLY song about a US President? Re: TMBG: This disc thingy what has songs on it TMBG: non-tmbg: list stuff, you know, recent rants and raves Re: TMBG: Last Night's Episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer... TMBG: Is EVERYONE a giant? Re: TMBG: This disc thingy what has songs on it Re: TMBG: Last Night's Episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer... Re: TMBG: Is EVERYONE a giant? Re: Non-TMBG: off topic vote TMBG: Pearl Re: TMBG: Is EVERYONE a giant? Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Message-ID: <90cfcf43.35a42b3f@aol.com> Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 22:29:54 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Weird Al and Undernet In a message dated 98-07-08 21:59:12 EDT, dilbert_2000@hotmail.com writes: << > those cartoon network people are some lazy ass people, >aren't they? :) > >>Sounds to me like John's the one who hasn't done anything. >> What?!?!? Jordan ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 23:15:43 -0400 (EDT) From: Jish Subject: Re: TMBG: Weird Al and Undernet Message-ID: On Wed, 8 Jul 1998, melissa wrote: > Oh yeah, and for anyone who cares, Undernet #tmbg is 20 times better > than Efnet! It even has yours truly! :P I don't think that people who go to undernet all the time(ie. Flipper1) would even make a statement like that. Why the hatred of our wonderful happy channel? :) Jish ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35A43EE2.A7D@rica.net> Date: Wed, 08 Jul 1998 23:54:10 -0400 From: Joey Groah Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell chat, secretive????? Josh Buckland wrote: > > Yo, people- > > Question for Joey: > > Where is it that you heard about the whole John thingie????? > No one ealse has heard about it, so where does your info come from??? > My info. comes from Marty Landau feverishly writing books in secret concerning viralogical plots of genocide. Or the TMBG.com chat room, where there was an "announcement" about the chat, which ever is more interesting. I didn't fully buy into the chat announcement that was only in one location, but I was hoping it was true. Joey, got a great deal on some swamp land in Arizona ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 00:21:13 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y Message-ID: <19980709.002133.11598.0.erda@juno.com> From: erda@juno.com (g loworm) does anyone else have the promotional sexxy remixes cd? it has three versions (Radio mix, tee's radio, and the warren rigg microwave mix). just wondering. whats on the cover, mine doesnt have a cover _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980709002225.008722d0@csrlink.net> Date: Thu, 09 Jul 1998 00:22:25 -0400 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: Re: TMBG: Undernet vs. EFnet + Worms + New CD Player At 11:15 PM 7/8/98 -0400, you wrote: > >On Wed, 8 Jul 1998, melissa wrote: > >> Oh yeah, and for anyone who cares, Undernet #tmbg is 20 times better >> than Efnet! It even has yours truly! :P > >I don't think that people who go to undernet all the time(ie. Flipper1) >would even make a statement like that. Why the hatred of our wonderful >happy channel? :) This is true. I've measured. We are a mere 14.42 times better than EFnet. This has not been all that true today, for I have been playing Worms 2 the whole time. (To be fair, EFNet does have sheer numbers on us. But I'm pretty sure that most of them are gerbils running around on keyboards in various places.) It's fun, but damnit, the sounds aren't working. On another note, I got a CD player put in my van. My friends and I went driving around, subjected them to Then:TEY Disc Two on the new player, it sounded great. Then we ended up stopping in the park, and um, playing on the swings, erum, and the little horsie on the spring thingie... Dylan "And Mike Leffel Doesn't Think I Have A Life" Flipse Dylan Flipse...one of them. - dflipse@csrlink.net Dylan's page is at http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ for now. I'll never see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed -They Might Be Giants, the coolest thing this side of Zaphod Beeblebrox. ------------------------------ From: TerryTMBG@aol.com Message-ID: <1c3ec60a.35a44710@aol.com> Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 00:29:00 EDT Subject: Semi-TMBG: EFnet vs. Undernet IRC >I don't think that people who go to undernet all the time(ie. Flipper1) >would even make a statement like that. Why the hatred of our wonderful >happy channel? :) I'm going to have to back up Josh on this one. I will admit EFnet #TMBG has had its high and low points, but summer is traditionally stress-free over on our favorite channel and it's definitely like that now. I don't know much about Undernet though, the last time I went on the conversation was about anal discharge and I decided I had better run back to EFnet. We have a lot more people too. There they have like six. We usually have at least 15, unless it's during the afternoon when everyone else has lives. My point is this: this post is yet another sleazy attempt to recruit more people to EFnet #tmbg, which is in my opinion (and that of a lot of other people) a wicked fun place to hang out. and say high to me, my nick's either Terry or TerryTMBG. okay. thanks! -Terry (surprisingly enough)- ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <4b7866fd.35a44915@aol.com> Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 00:37:40 EDT Subject: Re: Re: TMBG: Weird Al and Undernet In a message dated 7/8/98 8:59:12 PM, dilbert_2000@hotmail.com wrote: >> those cartoon network people are some lazy ass people, >>aren't they? :) >> > > Sounds to me like John's the one who hasn't done anything. ? no... he did his part.. sarah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980709045456.0070e96c@cybnetonline.com> Date: Wed, 08 Jul 1998 23:54:56 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: Semi-TMBG: EFnet vs. Undernet IRC >I'm going to have to back up Josh on this one. I will admit EFnet #TMBG has >had its high and low points, but summer is traditionally stress-free over on >our favorite channel and it's definitely like that now. I don't know much >about Undernet though, the last time I went on the conversation was about anal >discharge and I decided I had better run back to EFnet. We have a lot more >people too. There they have like six. We usually have at least 15, unless >it's during the afternoon when everyone else has lives. My point is this: >this post is yet another sleazy attempt to recruit more people to EFnet #tmbg, >which is in my opinion (and that of a lot of other people) a wicked fun place >to hang out. and say high to me, my nick's either Terry or TerryTMBG. okay. >thanks! > Yep, and you can find my annoyin' ass over there from time to time too. It's pretti fun, whenever I waste time on IRC, I usualy stop in there and annoy them there too. Everyone's nice since they got rid of the idiots, and we rarely hurt each other on purpose. (So what, I accidently hit Jish in the head with a wiffleball bat, once, ONCE. He only needed six stiches, it wasn't like it was a big deal or something) Oh yeah, it's fun. Go there, be merry. Hit on Jish, he likes that. And um, ah, uh, eat some cheese before ya go, you might find yourself stuck there for awhile. LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ From: Strawbos69@aol.com Message-ID: <9b12e1ca.35a45a81@aol.com> Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 01:52:00 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y In a message dated 98-07-09 00:23:14 EDT, erda@juno.com writes: << does anyone else have the promotional sexxy remixes cd? it has three versions (Radio mix, tee's radio, and the warren rigg microwave mix). just wondering. whats on the cover, mine doesnt have a cover >> Hmm, mine came in a cardboard sleeve that looks pretty much like the original one, except with all three remixes listed on it. Hmm... -TMBG's Ambassador to the state of insanity, who recently returned from the land down under; and no, we do not have "the trots"! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 02:20:00 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Dr. Worm on the Radio! Message-ID: <19980709.022002.8438.1.jonhuot@juno.com> From: jonhuot@juno.com (Jonathan P Huot) I JUST HEARD DR. WORM ON THE RADIO!!!! I was driving home from my girlfriends house at 1:45am and the radio station, WBRU Providence RI, was in the middle of their "Breaking and Entering" program. The DJ played the song as I blasted it on my 12 year old car radio. It was so cool to hear John Linnell's voice coming out of my speakers and know that I wasn't playing a Mix tape. My girlfriend, who is also a huge TMBG fan, will be very upset to find out that I heard it on a radio station that normally plays the same recycled crap over and over again. I tried to call the station to congratulate them but no one answered. This is a good time, I suppose, to plug MY Radio Show. If you are in the Rhode Island area on Sundays between 12-2pm, than tune in to 88.1 WELH. I go by the name Miracle Max, and I always play at least 1 TMBG song, and lately a lot of new Mono Puff. My Music director, who happens to be my girlfriend, is currently trying to get in touch with Restless, to get a hold of the Dr. Worm single, and STD when it comes out. So, possibly, within the next few weeks or so, you may be hearing Dr. Worm on my show as well. Jon _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001701bdab0d$bbe34440$4e2c3ccc@blatz> From: "Johann D. Beheader" Subject: TMBG: TMBG on 104 Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 03:46:48 -0400 My local radio station (radio 104) has this thing where they pit 2 songs againsed each other and people call in and vote for who the winner will be. Expecting the usual crap, I was VERY surprised to hear "first up...its They Might Be Giants with 'Doctor Worm'". They played the song and the DJ said that he shouldn't even bother with the next song....but he did. After something by some other band, the DJ let the lines open and it was TMBG hands down. He said that was the way it pretty much was all around. Tomorrow they get to defend themselves againsed a new challenger. Yay. Kind of wierd to hear Them on le station de crap. I just hope They don't get too trendy...kinda puts me off. -fred P.S. Dr. Worm sounded awesome. [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199807091007.SAA04976@vector.wantree.com.au> From: "Carla Stagles" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG on 104 Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 18:08:01 +0800 TMBG have a huge hit with Dr Worm... and it'll be international tour time before you know it and us Aussies will get another crank at them!!! Go Aussie! Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi oi oi!!! <---- this is a cheer... hold your nose and don't move your lips when you speak and you'll get it JUST about right. carla "they call me Dr Worm..." ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35A4BE9C.4C5FD9A9@pacificnet.net> Date: Thu, 09 Jul 1998 04:59:13 -0800 From: Gary Subject: TMBG: "Netiquette": I expect that it doesn't matter to Mrs. Chain Leo Bicknell wrote: > For those unsure of what they should, and should not >post, perhaps reading some Emily Postnews answers will help: >http://www.mdstud.chalmers.se/misc/txt/emily.html The problem is not that the off topic posters are unsure of what is suitable to post. They know damn well what net etiquette is but they just don't care. These are the same people that urinate on the public toilet seats. "J. L. Moquin" wrote: (Regarding a chain letter sent to the list...) >Don't send chains to a list, ever. You can't tell them that. They'll send chain letters, photos or whatever they want. They have clearly stated that many times. They think they "everybody does it" and no one minds. If off-topic posts don't bother you why should a chain letter? It takes up the same amount of space. Remember, the off topic posters say stuff like, "this list is a growing, living entity that has evolved into something greater than a love of TMBG. It should not be restricted in anyway." Well then, we should all be free to post our chain letters here. I also think its fair then to use this list as a showcase for our ASCII art. What's the difference between 40 lines of type discussing swear words or 40 lines of type to draw a cute little picture? I didn't join this list to see Tweety bird but I didn't join it to read discussions about the FCC. either. If I wanted to read FCC language guidelines I would go to Yahoo and look it up. I'm not bothered by occasional OT posts. Up to 30% is acceptable. Wednesday, the list was overwhelmed with miscellany! I'm not bothered by anything at least vaguely TMBG related. (Lincoln, Candy Butchers, Frank Black, etc. are all fine. So are the four or five bands that are compared to TMBG.I don't mind hearing reccomendations of other bands either.) A few people are BLATANTLY disregarding etiquette. (I think we all know who they are.) The things they discuss here are things they could just as easily discuss at any chat room. Why do they INSIST on doing it here? ***HERE'S THE IMPORTANT PART: If you don't like excessive off topic posts, please speak up. Just a few words to the list saying so will help. Some of you may fear that would cause a snowball effect. Maybe it will temporarily but I hope it will show these guys that we do consider their OT posts rude and a waste of our time. Let's make this special. -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: "Lee" Subject: TMBG: John Henry Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 09:24:01 -0400 Message-ID: <000201bdab40$e0433740$0d4a4ccf@lees> How does the "John Henry" version with the bonus live tracks differ from the 2cd version? Is the 2cd version the complete live CD + John Henry? ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19980709103901.007f6ec0@email.psu.edu> Date: Thu, 09 Jul 1998 10:39:01 -0400 From: "J. L. Moquin" Subject: Re: TMBG: "Netiquette": I expect that it doesn't matter to Gary wrote: >"J. L. Moquin" wrote: (Regarding a chain >letter sent to the list...) > >>Don't send chains to a list, ever. > > You can't tell them that. They'll send chain letters, >photos or whatever they want. They have clearly stated that >many times. They think they "everybody does it" and no one >minds. If off-topic posts don't bother you why should a >chain letter? [snip] Granted, but the line you quoted above there was in the context of my telling everyone on the list a good way to harass people who send chains to the list (i.e. sending all 10 copies back to the person who sent it to you). My entire post was a thinly-veiled hint that I hoped would be followed. That line was merely a warning. ;) -jennifer, mommy to alice the bean, 8/15/97 UPDATED!! http://www.emprl.psu.edu/~anth/ mailto:jls5@psu.edu "The best way to make children good is to make them happy." -Oscar Wilde ------------------------------ From: Spoonerism@aol.com Message-ID: <67701d58.35a4ef1c@aol.com> Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 12:26:01 EDT Subject: NON-TMBG: The Anti-Chain Letter A while back, my friend got a chain letter and took down the names of every person on the chain letter (which was pretty long) and sent them his "Anti Chain Letter." It's really funny, and I thought the list could use it after seeing a few of em :) If you're at all offended by the discussion of chain letters or anything non TMBG, then I apologise and suggest you scroll down or whatever ::mumbles:: Well, here's the anti chain letter! Enjoy! << I'd first like to apologize for bothering you . . . I know that those annoying people who send you mindless drivel can get on your nerves. Secondly, since I have seen all of your names on the "From:" section of a recent chain letter, I'd like to invite everyone here to go witch-hunting. We could start our way in Salem and work away from there. If we don't find any, then we can dress some people up as witches and burn them instead. Then we can go hunt for leprechauns! After that we can go in search of: Bigfoot, Sasquash, The Headless Horseman, The Abobidable Snow-Man, and the creature from the Blue Lagoon. After, we can search for that delightful little man with the Lucky Charms and beat him up until he tells us where his pot of gold is. When we're finished with all that we can sit down and realize that we've done nothing. Gee, and I wonder why. Maybe it's because such things don't exist. Drat . . . and I was really looking for something to do. But wait! I can compose a letter that says you'll die if you don't send it to 13 other people and then scare all those people gullible enough to pay attention to it into wasting their valuable time and the time of their friends! What a great idea! But alas . . . it's been done already. Well I say:"For shameeeeeeeee!!!" You should all feel dirty . . . very, very dirty. . . and don't give me that "I'm sorry but it's really freaky" crap. A person who's head spins around completely is freaky. A dress that can walk by itself is freaky. But a message that isn't even worth the time to be committed to paper, so that it must be E-mailed to everyone? Regardless of what it says, THAT is not freaky. Maybe if you stepped out of that cave you've obviously been living in you might realize that there are better things to do than sit in a dark corner and concoct myths, superstitions, and fairy tales. Take control of your lives! You'll be better off for it. Thank you for reading this far. Sincerely, Peter the Not So Great >> See? I told you it was funny -CAsey, who has a one line sig ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 14:05:40 -0400 (EDT) From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: John Henry > >How does the "John Henry" version with the bonus live tracks differ from the >2cd version? Is the 2cd version the complete live CD + John Henry? Guys, is this in the FAQ? 'Cause if it isn't, it should be - we need some sort of complete explanation of this whole Australian-import thingy so we can direct people there. Kirs -- [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] "And she said losing love is like a window in your heart Everybody sees you're blown apart..." - Paul Simon "Graceland" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980709134057.006acbdc@130.127.28.14> Date: Thu, 09 Jul 1998 13:40:57 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: John Henry Nope, the second CD has 6 of the songs from the full Live!! NYC. -Adam At 09:24 AM 7/9/98 -0400, Lee wrote: >How does the "John Henry" version with the bonus live tracks differ from the >2cd version? Is the 2cd version the complete live CD + John Henry? > > > /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 12:26:50 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: Weird Al and Undernet Message-ID: I've been on both the Undernet and the EFnet IRC channels, and I can say that as a newbie on both, the people on Undernet were much nicer. Cap'n Helfgott ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 12:33:27 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: "Netiquette": I expect that it doesn't matter to Mrs. Chain Message-ID: This is very simple. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO READ IT, NOBODY IS FORCING YOU. DON'T COMPLAIN ABOUT IT IF ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS DELETE IT! IT'S THAT SIMPLE! By the way, there is a fairly large gap between posting off-topic material and pissing on public toilet seats. If the majority of people say that we should stick to strictly TMBG related posts, then let's go with it. I call for a vote. What does everyone elso think? So long, for now, Cap'n Helfgott ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 15:52:38 EDT Subject: NON-TMBG: Goddamn asshole, phukit Ok, in the word goddamn, it is debatable which part is bleeped out...I have a radio edit of "Get Your Gunn," where damn is edited out...I think it's a choice thing...you can say god in non relious contexts. You can say "God" you can say "damn." you can even say "O my God! Damn, they killed Kenny!" but not "goddamn they killed Kenny." Er, something like that if I remember correctly...it's the same with asshole. There are times when you can say the whole words & often times DJ's can get away with saying these words occassionally, because the FCC isn't always listening & (as someone said) rules are less strict at night. Also, so many swears are allowed to "escape" each year. Oh & if Dave Letterman said "I want to put my penis in your ass" it would not technically be sexual harassment unless he had previously been told not to say such things... Oh & another great thing about F*ck is that it's also a place. Phukit Island is an island off the coast of Thailand. There's also a Fukin Austria, I believe.... jason "goddamn fucking asshole" glastetter http://www.poingly.com <~~~~ad, condensed by one line ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 13:19:58 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: TMBG: off topic vote Message-ID: In case nobody saw this in my earlier reply, I am asking what everyone thinks about having a vote on whether the majority of the list thinks that we should stay on topic or not. This is the only way to silence either side, and as an often non-tmbg poster, I, and hopefully others, would respect the topic if the majority wanted it that way. Please tell me what you all think. Cap'n Helfgott ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 16:33:17 -0400 (EDT) From: Jish Subject: Re: TMBG: off topic vote Message-ID: OK, I rarely pay attention to this stuff but I sort of have strong feelings about this. I have been on the list for 2 years and when I started I was only into TMBG. No other music. Through this list I have been introduced to Ben Folds Five, Barenaked Ladies, Moxy Fruvous, and more....All this has been through "off topic" posts. I don't think the tmbg-list is necessarily supposed to be a list where everybody talks about TMBG. That is not realistic...there is only so much to say. What I think it should be is a place where TMBG fans can communicate with other TMBG fans about just about anything...with TMBG being the common link between us. This is pretty much how the #TMBG channels on IRC work also... ehh...that is it...I just think it would be horrible if future listies aren't introduced to other cool NON-TMBG stuff through this list Jish EFnet #TMBG Home Page - http:/www.andrew.cmu.edu/~axelrad/ On Thu, 9 Jul 1998, leonard helfgott wrote: > In case nobody saw this in my earlier reply, I am asking what everyone > thinks about having a vote on whether the majority of the list thinks that > we should stay on topic or not. This is the only way to silence either > side, and as an often non-tmbg poster, I, and hopefully others, would > respect the topic if the majority wanted it that way. Please tell me what > you all think. > Cap'n Helfgott > > ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 09 Jul 1998 15:46:13 -0500 From: Chad Maloney Subject: NON-TMBG: off topic vote Message-id: <35A52C15.5FB6938A@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> In case you happened to ignore the two earlier times he posted, Helfgott wants you all tell him what you think about having a vote on the non-tmbg posts on the list. He feels that this is the only way to silence either side. Please, tell him what you think. Me on the other hand? Well, I feel that the best way to silence either side is to bring the massive Earth-devouring Worms from Outer Space here to, well, devour the Earth (hence the name). In this quest to become galactic wormfood, I do need your help. See, I figure if we build a huge flashing neon sign that says "Hey Worms, Over Here!" and put it, say, on the Great Wall of China, then the worms, avid readers of celestial neon signs that they are, will note it and work it into their plans for dominating the galaxy. And, as the worms begin to approach for their Earthly meal and as the minions of Earth, eager to save themselves, begin to build an even larger neon sign proclaiming "Just Kidding" in order to save themselves, we can post as much nonsense as we want to the list and no one will be here to read it, because we'd either be on EFnet or Undernet, whichever we prefer, even though we all *know* which one is better. Oh, and if you hadn't noticed the previous bazillion times it was posted, Factory Showroom has a hidden track on it, and if you decide to make a damn TMBG Christmas mix, put Careless Santa on it. We know it's a Mono Puff song, but it's close enough. And you know the Info Club, sometimes it can be REALLY SLOW getting things to you when you order. And Mike Leffel is the not-so-resident list god whose computer went south. He is bigger than the list. Much bigger than I or you. Bigger than Dylan Flipse. Bigger than the whole list! BIG! - Chad "Hey, it was either this or sending a suicide note to the list, do you think I chose correctly?" Maloney ------------------------------ From: Vandal191@aol.com Message-ID: <838b0ea6.35a52c7d@aol.com> Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 16:47:56 EDT Subject: TMBG: This disc thingy what has songs on it I got this thing. It's like a CD single, but not exactly. Contained in a yellow and black posterboard case is a disc encoded with the songs Why Does the Sun Shine?, Jessica (originally recorded by the Allman Brothers, who were, in my opinion, one of the premier redneck rock bands of the 70s'), Whirlpool (originally a Meat Puppets cut), and Spy. Released on Elektra, it was recorded and mixed by Patrick Dillet at Excello Studio, and Brooklyn and Skyline Studios of NYC. The copyright date is 1993. If anybody has a proper name for whatever I just paid six dollars for, I'd like to know it. Non-TMBG begins here: Also just bought Air's CD, Moon Safari. All I've listened to so far is the radio cut, Sexy Boy. But these guys are French, like Daft Punk, and therefore are the good kind of weird. Speaking of foreign, weird, and good, somebody mentioned Rammstein in digest #8-9. I've been a Rammstein fan since my sister's boyfriend let me borrow an old Thunderdome CD. It's good to see them gaining recognition. To all you girls talking about the use of "son of a bitch" in I Palindrome I, and how the language seemed so naughty back in your developmental years: No wonder everybody thinks TMBG fans are nerdy lightweights. And it also proves my theory. Teenage girls are naturally skittish and dorky, like dogs that have lost a leg. And to everybody asterisking out vowels in their cussing. I fucking hate that. If you are going to swear, even if used out of context, go for the gold. Wow, I'm really haranguing the multitudes here. Sorry about that. I'll step down off my soap box. I got my hair trimmed today, and it was pretty good. And has anyone else ever noticed that claps on beat two and four of any 4:4 song make it catchy as all get out? Two immediate examples would be Particle Man and She's an Angel. Just thought I'd mention that. ~Moose "Little miss Muffet has grown up, long are her frills and frocks She's into Bowie and the Osmonds, and all other types of hard rock!" ("What'd he say?" "Rock." "Oh, rock." "Rock.") ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980709205318.7732.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Sarah faye" Subject: Re: TMBG: off topic vote Date: Thu, 09 Jul 1998 13:53:18 PDT >ehh...that is it...I just think it would be horrible if future listies >aren't introduced to other cool NON-TMBG stuff through this list I agree with this....if we stayed on topic all the time the list would lose a lot of its interest for me, and I never would have discovered lots of cool stuff.... this is short but I am not a long winded person (except for my evilly long sig :).....sorry Sarah faye the vampire princess http://www.angelfire.com/ca/sarianway sarian@hotmail.com FingerOfMyGlove@tmbg.org marymae@hotmail.com lindramine@hotmail.com ICQ UIN: 15210628 "What is everyone staring at? What is everyone looking at? Haven't they seen two people in love? What is everyone staring at?" --They Might Be Giants Goth Code v3.1A: GoAu5Sa2$ TJtYrvYin5 PMoShDe B8/14Bk"1 cBrBkNr-w7 V6 M3 ZTetIpMehClb C6o a18- n4 b27 H157 g4T0897A mEa7@Z4 w6T v5ME r2BI p41555Rd D77! h5(TSeYinYrvPGMo) sF5M SsmYn k6Mmsp N1196EWH RdS*2 LusNY6 ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: DrWormX@aol.com Message-ID: <48b073f.35a53634@aol.com> Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 17:29:23 EDT Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Weird Al show Weird Al's on CBS, but in my opinion it's a pretty stupid show (the reason bring it's intended for 6 year olds). Al could do much better (Hanson as a musical guest?), and I'm dissapointed that he didn't. Matt-- I killed Leffel You're really alive when you wish you were dead. And there isn't a god, or a heaven or hell, life's a little old apple and a William Tell ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 16:15:30 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: NON-TMBG: off topic vote and other things Message-ID: On Thu, 9 Jul 1998, leonard helfgott wrote: > In case nobody saw this in my earlier reply, I am asking what everyone > thinks about having a vote on whether the majority of the list thinks that > we should stay on topic or not. This is the only way to silence either > side, and as an often non-tmbg poster, I, and hopefully others, would > respect the topic if the majority wanted it that way. Please tell me what > you all think. hey everybody! i'm back (again!) (i) all due respect, leonard, but putting this to a vote would solve absofuckinlutely nothing. off-topic posts would continue, even if the vote were to come down solidly in opposition to them. it's like hate. you can't keep it from cropping up, even if you don't officially acknowledge its existance. off-topic posts even have a leg up over the mythical hate-free community and 1984, because we already have a name for them. NOT ONLY THAT, but a vote wouldn't even silence either side. this discussion would still happen every 3-5 months or so, and there's pretty much nothing you can do about it. so, to sum up: absofuckinlutely nothing. but as long as you're keeping track, put me down as squarely pro-OT. now: (ii) i just got back in town from the most incredible musical experience i've ever had in my whole life. by which i mean the 1998 Mendocino Balkan Music and Dance Workshop. anybody who is even slightly interested in balkan music and/or dance, and i mean this particularly for accordion players: go to this camp next year!! there's also one on the east coast, in ramblewood, MD. sometime when i've got a little more time on my hands i will go into great detail about the various and many ways that this camp was so absofuckinlutely amazing. but now i must finish unpacking. --jim kuemmerle, who will stop now only to mention that he received accordion lessons from the great pero teodosijev and simeon atanasov while he was there... pero's one of the nicest guys you could ever hope to meet. and he lives in boulder now, rather than skopje, macedonia... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35A55113.2607A91C@softhome.net> Date: Thu, 09 Jul 1998 18:24:03 -0500 From: melissa Subject: Re: (non?)TMBG: bad words they've sworn lots of times on the Simpsons...remember when Homer met is long lost half brother and Bart was singing "bastard, bastard, bastard" in the car. and remeber the episode with the swear jar, someone MUST have sworn in that one! melissa "AH! my freakin' ears!"-Todd Flanders ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 13:23:49 -0400 Subject: Re: Semi-TMBG: EFnet vs. Undernet IRC Message-ID: <19980709.181859.4398.1.Mr.Train@juno.com> I've been to both and I frequent Efnet #TMBG more than Undernet.... but I STILL don't have a little synopsis of myself on the Efnet #TMBG page!!!! I really like TMBG-trivia or whatever that was... I haven't played in such a long time Tim, pretty much a pointless post... just wants some recognition Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: We've Got A World That Swings Last CD purchase: The Guitar single (AFTER YEARS OF SEARCHING!) Favorite mainstream song: One Week - Barenaked Ladies _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 18:35:41 -0400 (EDT) From: Jeremy Treuer Subject: TMBG:New Bassist & Corrupting the Kiddies Message-ID: Hi all, longtime lurker here, just thought I'd add my two cents in about the new bassist thing. IMHO Hal wasn't that great. He was solid, but when I saw him at Catholic University in mid-April (I forget exactly when) he overplayed a lot. I dunno, maybe I like my bass more meat and potatoes, but that wouldn't explain why my favorite bassist for They is Graham. I look at it this way, Graham had the closest thing to perfect bass tone that I've ever heard. A big bottom and notes that are very, very distinct which allowed him to do the cool arpeggio's and such that are his signature (sort of). Hal on the other hand has a much more wirery (sp?) sound. I dunno, I think it's the fact that Hal seemed to play all over the place while Graham was in the pocket a bit more, but that might just be my faulty memory. Tony Maimone was just sort of "eh". In other news, I taught the kids at camp today "Spider". I split them into two groups and told them that one was pro-spider and the other was against-spider. Then I had them say the "Uwaa" and "Spider" together and the individual "He is our hero" "Must Stop" as separate groups. Then, during the "rumbling" part I had them stomp on the ground, clap, and thump, and say "I promise not to hurt you" (I know it's kill, but they're 6-8) in the 'Spider' voice. They were very cute. I'm going to try to get a recording of it, hmm "Children singing Spider" on a retrospective, hmmmmm...nah, it would never work. Remi Treuer Who's name does not begin with 'J' ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 17:42:44 -0500 (CDT) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: sexual harassment Message-ID: On Thu, 9 Jul 1998 Happyfroot@aol.com wrote: > Oh & if Dave Letterman said "I want to put my penis in your ass" it > would not technically be sexual harassment unless he had previously been > told not to say such things... What?!?!?! Where does this kind of information come from? Mr. Happyfroot, you might want to check your sources here. No previous notice is required for a sexual harassment suit. I'll stop now before I start citing shit and "wasting" the on-topic police's time. But trust me...I can do that. Scheming for nicotine, The Rev |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| | Reverend Bill Tatalovich | Home page: | | | http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/ | | wt3@cec.wustl.edu | feedback for toddlers e-zine: | | personnel@kwur.wustl.edu | coming soon on fortunecity.com!! | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35A555D4.3E35783A@softhome.net> Date: Thu, 09 Jul 1998 18:44:21 -0500 From: melissa Subject: TMBG: Last Night's Episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer... >>Secondly, the SOB in I Palindrome I is there, I think, for irony (probably >>discussed LONG BEFORE), although it may seem bad to say bitch, what is his >>mother doing calling him a son of a bitch? i dunno who else hasheard the vesion of I Palindrome I on the live in NY cd, but before they play Linnell says something like "Before we begin, i would personly like to apologize to my mother for this..." oh, and before I forget, whoever sent that chain letter....dont do it again or ill kill you 5 times before you hit the ground! Or, at least, Ill try until you knock me over. i like my signature best of all! melissa ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 18:56:26 -0400 (EDT) From: Karri Vasara Subject: Re: TMBG: off topic vote Message-ID: I see nothing wrong with discussing non-TMBG topics, because: A. They will eventually become tired-out topics B. They have something to do with TMBG in one way or another. Karri Vasara vasara@eng.usf.edu On Thu, 9 Jul 1998, leonard helfgott wrote: > In case nobody saw this in my earlier reply, I am asking what everyone > thinks about having a vote on whether the majority of the list thinks that > we should stay on topic or not. This is the only way to silence either > side, and as an often non-tmbg poster, I, and hopefully others, would > respect the topic if the majority wanted it that way. Please tell me what > you all think. > Cap'n Helfgott > ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 18:12:22 -0500 (CDT) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: semi-TMBG: "Netiquette" Message-ID: On Thu, 9 Jul 1998, Gary wrote: > I'm not bothered by occasional OT posts. Up to 30% is > acceptable. So which 30% is acceptable? I mean...that is such a subjective outlook on all this. And as I've said, there is no way to make an objective outlook on this, thereby "policing" (not a bad term...I essentially mean controlling) the off-topic posts is virtually impossible. Why might talking about a band be considered "acceptable", while talking about a television show or a book be unacceptable? There's no way to do all this fairly... Oh, and one other thing....reconsider using "OT" for off-topic. Because, well, it could mean on-topic as well.... > A few people are BLATANTLY disregarding etiquette. (I think > we all know who they are.) The things they discuss here are > things they could just as easily discuss at any chat room. > Why do they INSIST on doing it here? Ooh! Ooh! Am I one? Am I one? I can't speak for most of us "sinners", but I for one don't like going to chat rooms. I insist on doing it here because I feel that it's a good forum...no matter what the topic, you get a response. SOMEONE will respond. That's the wonder, and that's the horror (five dollars to the non-TMBG reference I made there). > ***HERE'S THE IMPORTANT PART: If you don't like > excessive off topic posts, please speak up. Just a few words > to the list saying so will help. Some of you may fear that > would cause a snowball effect. Maybe it will temporarily but > I hope it will show these guys that we do consider their OT > posts rude and a waste of our time. Let's make this special. I've tried this myself. Anyone remember the countless posts I've made asking if anyone had a problem with the way things are now? Let's see...the only posts I can remember saying "I have a problem with this-and-that on the list" were from Green Jello and from Bongo. Hmm. Anyone have a current count of folks on the list? Whatever the count, I have a feeling that two people account for, oh, less than 1%. But again...I'll swallow my words if my inbox is suddenly filled with posts saying "I hate off-topic" (and I'm talking from lots of people as well, so please don't e-mail bomb me). Anyone noticed how, once I respond to a lot of these kinds of posts, the original poster never attacks my arguments, and is forced to nitpick to try to get some satisfaction? Maybe it's just me.... The Rev |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| | Reverend Bill Tatalovich | Home page: | | | http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/ | | wt3@cec.wustl.edu | feedback for toddlers e-zine: | | personnel@kwur.wustl.edu | coming soon on fortunecity.com!! | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <003001bdab98$ee602920$d4061ecf@default> From: "John Lambert" Subject: Re: semi-TMBG: "Netiquette" CALL FOR RESPONSE Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 20:23:13 -0400 >Anyone noticed how, once I respond to a lot of these kinds of posts, the >original poster never attacks my arguments, and is forced to nitpick to >try to get some satisfaction? Maybe it's just me.... Untrue, I haven't decided that you're too scary for me to reply to, just I've decided to go about this another way. A more intelligent way. I hereby propose a news-only list. Not to detract from this list, but to accentuate it. The "news" content is culled from this very list. Kind of like a list-lite. I've proposed this to Leo and am awaiting a response. ANYONE WHO THINKS THIS IS A VALID SOLUTION PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW YOU FEEL!!! SEND IT TO MY PRIVATE ADDRESS, NOT TO THE LIST (to lower list traffic, see I'm not a hypocrite) I can be reached @ greenjello1973@geocities.com I would also suggest that you cc: Leo ( bicknell@ufp.org ) My proposal was based on my experience with another mailing list... (here's what I based it on) I was on a Jewel mailing list well before she was popular and it was a pleasant list. Jewel hit the mainstream and within a week our list went from 5-8 posts a day to 175 posts A DAY!!! I joined the digest. I was getting 10 digests a day. I stayed on the digest for a while and just couldn't keep up. 1000 prepubescent girls with a sixth grade conversation level (at best) did not thrill me. The list owner came up with the idea to create a JEWEL NEWS list, it's listed as a third option on the page to sign up... mailing list, digested mailing list or news only list. (I believe the last time he sent us an update... of the first 300 members to the first list, 250 or so are still around 225 of those are on the news only list) These four guys from the list rotate for a week each reading the digests. The owner gave them an address to send news to. Anything they deem newsworthy they send to this list of ppl. I get roughly 5-10 emails a day which in the subject say: "Jewel New: Jewel tour dates announced" or something like that. I know the good stuff that the list has to offer and I don't have to read that crap the prepubes post... "If Jewel dated a Hanson boy which one would have prettier hair" ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 17:34:14 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: off topic vote Message-ID: well, everyone have put their sarcastic opinions in, but nobody has really said what they think of having a vote, to settle this once and for all. Cap'n "please, no sarcastic responses" Helfgott ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980709191956.006abd28@130.127.28.14> Date: Thu, 09 Jul 1998 19:19:56 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: semi-TMBG: "Netiquette" Seriously, if off-topic posts are bothering people that much, just unsubscribe! :-) You can probably find a friend to keep you updated on anything interesting that occurs on the list, and more or less, anything particularly important posted here ends up on alt.music.tmbg at some point. -Adam /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 18:38:13 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: semi-TMBG: "Netiquette" CALL FOR RESPONSE Message-ID: On Thu, 9 Jul 1998, John Lambert wrote: > I hereby propose a news-only list. Not to detract from this list, but to > accentuate it. The "news" content is culled from this very list. Kind of > like a list-lite. I've proposed this to Leo and am awaiting a response. > > ANYONE WHO THINKS THIS IS A VALID SOLUTION PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW YOU > FEEL!!! SEND IT TO MY PRIVATE ADDRESS, NOT TO THE LIST (to lower list > traffic, see I'm not a hypocrite) (to stimulate public discussion of this idea, i've decided this to post this response to the list anyway...) i like this idea quite a lot! it would make much more sense to do *this* than the other alternative list ideas i've heard (almost all of which are to move all *off*-topic discussion to another list, which makes little to no sense to me.) however, i would speculate that a tmbg-news list would consist of what? 5 messages a week? if that? --jim kuemmerle, who would probably subscribe to such a list as a "dietary supplement"... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Message-Id: <199807100046.UAA03656@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: Re: semi-TMBG: "Netiquette" CALL FOR RESPONSE Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 20:46:45 -0400 (EDT) There is already a way for you to get news. Get a www.tmbg.org account and select that you "want updates". Whenever there is big news you will get a note from me that way. I predict it will be one message every one to two months, very low traffic. -- Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org Systems Engineer - Internetworking Engineer - CCIE 3440 Read TMBG List - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org, www.tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 20:55:43 EDT Subject: TMBG: The ONLY song about a US President? Ever notice how TMBG always announce "James K. Polk" as the only song about a US President? Also ever notice how they are lying? Do they ever think of their song "Nixon's the One?" (Ok, it's actually Mono Puf,, but there is a TMBG dialasong version) & what about their unreleased songs "Truman" & "williamn Henry Harrison?" The ONLY SONG about a US President, my ass! jason "capt. profanity" glastetter http://www.poingly.com<~~~the ad http://www.thebountiful.com<~~~to ad a 3rd line to my sig ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 21:50:59 -0400 (EDT) From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: This disc thingy what has songs on it > > I got this thing. It's like a CD single, but not exactly. Contained in a >yellow and black posterboard case is a disc encoded with the songs Why Does >the Sun Shine?, Jessica (originally recorded by the Allman Brothers, who were, >in my opinion, one of the premier redneck rock bands of the 70s'), Whirlpool >(originally a Meat Puppets cut), and Spy. Wouldn't that be the Why Does the Sun Shine ep? > To all you girls talking about the use of "son of a bitch" in I Palindrome >I, and how the language seemed so naughty back in your developmental years: No >wonder everybody thinks TMBG fans are nerdy lightweights. And it also proves >my theory. Teenage girls are naturally skittish and dorky, like dogs that >have lost a leg. Correction: Girls in their EARLY teens are naturally skittish and dorky (and i could go on a long rant about how society makes them so, but i won't); usually after girls hit sixteen they've got *most* things sorted out, like how to swear with authority, wear colors other than pink, and have a different hairdo than their best friend. Or so I'd hope. If they're really lucky, by the time they're eighteen, they've dyed their hair blue and bought an electric guitar. ;) Kirsten -- [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] "And she said losing love is like a window in your heart Everybody sees you're blown apart..." - Paul Simon "Graceland" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ From: TerryTMBG@aol.com Message-ID: <74d2f08f.35a58042@aol.com> Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 22:45:20 EDT Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg: list stuff, you know, recent rants and raves I know very few people here really care at all what I have to say, but that's never stopped me before, so I think I'll contribute my three cents (inflation) to this heated discussion: I think there's something in the Administrivia that says something to the tune of "when you post to this list you are sending a message to hundreds of people [I think Leo told me recently it's like 550 - Terry] ... please think before posting." Then there's something else concerning how we don't want "me too" posts. And basically I've noticed that we're getting a lot of posts that ignore these requests. I won't name anyone, and I don't want anyone to get offended because that's not my intent, but we *really* could make this list a bit sleeker. I offer these pieces of advice for anyone posting, especially frequently: 1. if you're posting a response because you think *you* need to respond, make sure you're contributing something new. This really isn't a chat room. 2. if you want to post about multiple subjects, put them all into one post. Then change the subject line. These subjects get out of date really quickly on most threads anyway. 3. when you're quoting people, make *sure* you're only quoting necessary lines. Take, for example, me. :) I could have quoted from any number of recent posts about this, but I'm not. I agree with some people, and I disagree with others. Okay, I think that's it. Sorry for making this long (I did just delete a paragraph though) and if anyone wants to chime in, go ahead. But make it productive. :) Also- I live in Rhode Island like an earlier poster, and like an idiot I forgot to listen to WBRU's Breaking and Entering. So I urge everyone in RI to call (401)272-9555 and request "Doctor Worm." If we get enough people they'll be sure to put it into rotation! Anyway, thank you all for listening to me! -Terry- ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Message-ID: <501693e4.35a59125@aol.com> Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 23:57:24 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Last Night's Episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer... In a message dated 98-07-09 18:50:36 EDT, tmbgnut@softhome.net writes: << i dunno who else hasheard the vesion of I Palindrome I on the live in NY cd, but before they play Linnell says something like "Before we begin, i would personly like to apologize to my mother for this..." >> Flansburgh says this...not Linnell. Jordan ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980710041732.20133.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: TMBG: Is EVERYONE a giant? Date: Thu, 09 Jul 1998 21:17:32 PDT What's all this I'm hearing about a "Two Rooms"-esque tribute to Them entitled "We Might Be Giants, Too"??? Does anyone know if what I heard is true? And, if so, when is it due out??? Also, is the video compilation due out with STD, or is it set for another date? When? Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com "He wants to knock your house down... And he can't, because you're lying in the way of his bulldozer... I think we can come to some arrangement." --Ford Prefect, "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 22:35:04 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: This disc thingy what has songs on it Message-ID: < Correction: Girls in their EARLY teens are naturally skittish and Subject: Re: TMBG: Last Night's Episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer... Message-ID: I didn't think that Linnell would be the one to say something like that. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 22:38:45 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: Is EVERYONE a giant? Message-ID: We Might Be Giants Too, will come out the same time that I write my first book, take up surfing, become President of the united states, and so on, I think that you get the point. Cap'n Helfgott ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199807100959.FAA28202@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 04:59:58 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: off topic vote At 01:53 PM 7/9/98 -0700, you wrote: >>ehh...that is it...I just think it would be horrible if future listies >>aren't introduced to other cool NON-TMBG stuff through this list > > >I agree with this....if we stayed on topic all the time the list would >lose a lot of its interest for me, and I never would have discovered >lots of cool stuff.... > >this is short but I am not a long winded person (except for my evilly >long sig :).....sorry Why not just have two lists? It's not that difficult. I'll even create and maintain one or both of them. Harf, Mitch ------------------------------ From: ArwenAnaNg@aol.com Message-ID: <4a14cba9.35a614a2@aol.com> Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 09:18:25 EDT Subject: TMBG: Pearl Recently, I watched the E! True Hollywood Story on the life and death of Janis Joplin. She adopted a "good girl" persona later in her career that she called "Pearl". Subsequently, that was the name of her last album, which was distributed posthumously and finally landed her a #1 on the Billboard charts for "Me and Bobby McGee". Now many of the listees are familiar with the TMBG shirt (and signage on stage at some of their shows) with the face of a little girl called "Pearl". The picture does not seem to be that of a young Janis Joplin, but I wonder if in any way it is somehow a tribute to the "first lady" of Rock 'n Roll. Anyone care to comment? Arwen -- maybe it's a stretch, but I had to ask. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980710095433.006ab8c8@130.127.28.14> Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 09:54:33 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Is EVERYONE a giant? (rolls eyes and sighs heavily) Look at http://www.tmbg.org/~ondrey/ for the latest news and info on W,MBGT...it's not that far off. There are also a couple of mp3s on that page, and I'm very, very impressed with what I've heard so far. -Adam At 10:38 PM 7/9/98 -0700, leonard helfgott wrote: >We Might Be Giants Too, will come out the same time that I write my first >book, take up surfing, become President of the united states, and so on, I >think that you get the point. >Cap'n Helfgott /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #8-11 *****************************