Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #8-14 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 8, Number 14 Tuesday, 14 July 1998 Today's Topics: Subject: TMBG: TMBG in Los Angeles September 11 Re: Subject: TMBG: TMBG in Los Angeles September 11 TMBG: TMBG info club Re: TMBG: i'm back (we all knew it would happen) TMBG: Monopuff shows Re: Subject: TMBG: TMBG in Los Angeles September 11 Re: TMBG: i'm back (we all knew it would happen) Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm heard on radio TMBG: Re: leffel Re: TMBG: Re: leffel kinda TMBG:vtuner radio NON-TMBG: Re: leffel and stuff Re: TMBG: Re: leffel Re: TMBG: Monopuff shows Re: TMBG: Re: leffel Re: TMBG: the Rev vs. Leffel? Re: TMBG: Re: leffel Re: TMBG: the Rev vs. Leffel? Re: TMBG: the Rev vs. Leffel? Non-TMBG:pleh! TMBG: Dial-A-Song online stuff! TMBG: Mono Puff Show (listed as 8/18) TMBG: Non-tmbg: Keepers of the flame TMBG: pioneers of alternative, but ska? Re: TMBG: pioneers of alternative, but ska? Re: TMBG: pioneers of alternative, but ska? Re: TMBG: pioneers of alternative, but ska? Re: TMBG: pioneers of alternative, but ska? Re: TMBG: pioneers of alternative, but ska? Re: TMBG: Re: leffel Re: TMBG: pioneers of alternative, but ska? Re: TMBG: Re: leffel Re: TMBG: Non-tmbg: Keepers of the flame non-TMBG: XTC TMBG: Re: leffel, ska Re: TMBG: pioneers of alternative, but ska? Re: TMBG: Re: leffel Re: NONTMBG: Re: leffel Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <35A9FC20.F3B23198@pacificnet.net> Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 04:23:01 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: Subject: TMBG: TMBG in Los Angeles September 11 References: <199807130604.CAA28562@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; x-mac-type="54455854"; x-mac-creator="4D4F5353" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Today's digest (8/13) had me shocked and delighted for two reasons. First, 100% of the post were about TMBG! But better than that: >TMBG will be playing at the House of Blues on September 11. 21 and over only >sorry!! >Larry I checked the HOB web site and it's true! It's been a looooong time since they've been in Southern California! We've never seen them do Dr. Worm and a lot of other recent songs out here. Thanks for the info Larry! -B O N G O __________________________________ "I dance like my feet are my tongue when I eat" -Geggy Tah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199807131119.TAA06034@vector.wantree.com.au> From: "Carla Stagles" Subject: Re: Subject: TMBG: TMBG in Los Angeles September 11 Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 19:19:00 +0800 > >TMBG will be playing at the House of Blues on September > > 11. you lucky yankees. all the TMBG you can eat and monopuff for afters. *carla goes outside and fraternises with a wallaby* it's just not the same but it'll have to do... *carla teaches the wallaby to play the piano accordian* "sigh." carla "you wrote me a letter just the other day" ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 08:22:43 -0700 Subject: TMBG: TMBG info club Message-ID: <19980712.082244.4598.0.Prince_Nez@juno.com> From: prince_nez@juno.com (Prince Nez) On the official site I subscribed to the info club in about December/January through the e-mail link, and just a few weeks ago they finally sent me something. It was some special offer for Mono Puff's "It's Fun to Steal". Does the club have some kind of newsletter that comes? When does it come? Or is it just not coming to me properly, and I should subscribe by "snail mail" (or would that do anything diffrent)? any feed back would be nice thanks, Jacob _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 23:54:26 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: i'm back (we all knew it would happen) Message-ID: <19980712.235433.11086.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> Ha! so i must've been kidding myself when i actually thought i could just walk away from the list... (and i didn't even do that... see, before i "left" i had been receiving both the digest and the regular format and well when i left i just unsubbed from the regular format but...) anyways.... i got off the plane and while i was driving home i heard Puttin on the Ritz which i find to be just as cool as when i hear istanbul on the radio... so when i got home i immediately turned on my radio (i love SoCal and i love Y107 , 91X , and KROQ but honestly if i hear semisonic, fastball or everclear one more time i'm gonna scream) and what do i hear? Why Does The Sun SHine... and it was awkward... i thought i was just tired so i called up the DJ (Alf) and asked him all about STD (which is where WDTSS was from) and stuff and he claims that the planet of the apes stuff is cool but that you'd get really sick of it if you listened to it more than like 3 times... i agreee based on my bootlegs. so i took that as a sign that i should re-sub to the list... it may be a few days before i actually get back in to it but hey... i can't stay away :) oh and one more thing... i don't care if TMBG never goes there, i love the West Coast :) And damn do i feel cool with a big wad of styrofoam on my car's antenna... (is this just a cali thing or is it happening everywhere else too?) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html "Not for use with retractable antenna." _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: Robert Plass Subject: TMBG: Monopuff shows Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 08:57:49 -0400 Hello exquisite living people, I walked by the Acme Underground last Friday to check the window for upcoming shows, and sure enough, it said: Mono Puff 8/12, 8/10, 8/26 I'm sure they mean 8/19 (the properly interjected Thursday) Okay, so it looks like we're good. Robert Plass ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 08:57:03 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: Subject: TMBG: TMBG in Los Angeles September 11 Message-ID: does this mean that they're starting a west coast tour? Cap'n Helfgott ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 08:59:35 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: i'm back (we all knew it would happen) Message-ID: yeah, the west coast would seem a lot cooler if I lived in Cali instead of in Washington. Well, that's all I had to say, The Cap'n ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000601bdae85$12d0d040$13c608d1@idiotnot.visi.net> From: "S. Bergeron" Subject: Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm heard on radio Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 13:38:37 -0400 :Well I was listening to Nocturnal Transmissions (kinda like Breaking and :Entering that someone mentioned earlier). It's where the radio station :that usually plays all Third Eye Blind and Matchbox 20 plays cool music :from up and coming artists and new releases from bands. Ah haerd eet tew. Eet wuz ferry kewl. :Anyway I called the DJ 30 min. into the show to see if he was gonna play :TMBG, he said he was and THEY JUST PLAYED IT! I got it all on tape too! I :could try to make a short WAV or something if I hold my mic. (which gets :decent input) up to my stereo speaker. Does that sound good? Ich habe ihn angeruft auch. Er hat die gleiches dinge gesagt. :I think this is one of TMBG's best... this is definately Linnells voice :at it's best. It's better than I've ever heard him do before. There are :ample horns and the song just all around rocks! I can't WAIT for STD! Yes. The horns are nice...now just to get those bastards at Sinclair Broadcasting to put it into heavy rotation. Jack Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net "Someday somebody else besides me will call me by my stage name."--Doctor Worm ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 09:14:17 -0600 Subject: TMBG: Re: leffel Message-ID: <19980713.114922.11182.4.TMBgirl@juno.com> >oh and he always signed with a funny middle >name that summed up what his >post was about. uhm, i don't think that explains it very well.... mike would always end his letters as such: mike "insert funny spiel relating to whatever the post was about" leffel did leffel start the whole AKA's? (if anyone starts this thread again i'm gonna scream)... even if he didn't come up with the idea for 'em i know he made a few and i think they're still out there on the web somewhere (anyone have the URL? sarah... you had some too didn't you?) another thing about leffel... uhm... he wasn't liked by a majority of the list until AFTER he mysteriously dissapeared the first time. do you guys not remember all the people yelling at him to stop posting so damn much? (ahem, rob... you member that?! :P) geez... the number of fights i got in to with OTHER people because i was defending leffel and all his irrelevent posts. i felt it was only fair since he stood up for me when that stupid ho "trippy" (yes, i hold grudges against people i've never met nor will i ever meet...) wouldn't shut up so after that point i agreed to stand up for him whenever a stupid ho (no names mentioned here!) would flame against him. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html NEW SITE: http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html :::not for use with retractabke antenna::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 12:25:28 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: leffel Message-ID: sounds kinda like me about now (with the people criticizing him and all), Leffell sounds like he's been replaced by the Reverand Bill Tatolivich (probably spelled his name wrong), but their personalities sound just about the same. Cap'n Helfgott ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35AA6168.16D1@rica.net> Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 15:35:04 -0400 From: Joey Groah Subject: kinda TMBG:vtuner radio http://www.vtuner.com allows you to access radio stations in real time. I tune in to various stations around the world when I do computer stuff, as local radio stations play Top 40 crap(their official format). Thusly, I've run some of the stations mentioned on the list playing Dr. Worm through vtuner in hopes to catch a snippet or the complete song. Thanks for posting station info, and until next album, make mine Giant! Joey ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 13:41:17 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: NON-TMBG: Re: leffel and stuff Message-ID: On Mon, 13 Jul 1998, leonard helfgott wrote: > sounds kinda like me about now (with the people criticizing him and all), > Leffell sounds like he's been replaced by the Reverand Bill Tatolivich > (probably spelled his name wrong), but their personalities sound just > about the same. the rev's plenty cool, but there ain't nobody really like Mike Leffel... the guy's definitely a unique product. there are definite "keepers of the flame", though: LDB, Joey Groah, Dylan Flipse, Jordan, ArwenAnaNg, and yours truly, among others... on other notes: (1) welcome "back", jordan! ;) (3) the official mike leffel site: http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~broz/tmbg.html the book depository for mike "dig me! i'm the king of cuba!" leffel's work: http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~broz/newgifs/ (2) C#. --jim kuemmerle, who's hoping They come to SLC since they're coming all the way out to LA... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980713210605.0067ded0@cybnetonline.com> Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 16:06:05 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: leffel At 12:25 PM 7/13/98 -0700, leonard helfgott wrote: >sounds kinda like me about now (with the people criticizing him and all), >Leffell sounds like he's been replaced by the Reverand Bill Tatolivich >(probably spelled his name wrong), but their personalities sound just >about the same. wrong-o. Rev and Leffel are of nothing alike. Leffel (ONE L, or two if you count the other one, quick note, there is only 2 of every letter in Leffel's name, wow, I didn't know that) cannot be compared to anyone on this list. No one, even if they tried could achieve Leffel Palindrome Leffels god-like prowess. I know 3 of us if we tried and worked together we could make a false Leffel, but this false leffel wouldn't even amount to a third of the real Leffel. Now, I say now! NEVER EVER EVER COMPARE SOMEONE TO LEFFEL, kay? LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ From: Drayco@aol.com Message-ID: <349dee5f.35aa800e@aol.com> Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 17:45:48 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Monopuff shows Does anybody know if these shows are going to be 21+? Thanks. --Jamal > > Hello exquisite living people, > > I walked by the Acme Underground last Friday to check > the window for upcoming shows, and sure enough, it > said: > > Mono Puff > 8/12, 8/10, 8/26 > > I'm sure they mean 8/19 (the properly interjected Thursday) > > Okay, so it looks like we're good. > ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 16:29:37 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: leffel Message-ID: On Mon, 13 Jul 1998, The Li'l Depressed Boy wrote: > NEVER EVER EVER COMPARE SOMEONE TO LEFFEL, kay? unless it's in the form of, say, "talking with mike leffel is like having dinner with robin williams at mel brooks' house when all of the sudden who should come through the door but bob newhart, mark tonra, douglas adams, tom robbins, and a small choir of reprogrammed daleks singing 'you are my sunshine' exactly one flattened fifth out of tune with each other..." --jim kuemmerle, who would then have to admit that even *that* description doesn't quite capture the leffelian essence... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ SKULL MOUNTAIN: we'll meet at the end of the tour... http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/skullmountain.html ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 17:39:43 -0500 (CDT) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: the Rev vs. Leffel? Message-ID: On Mon, 13 Jul 1998, leonard helfgott wrote: > sounds kinda like me about now (with the people criticizing him and all), > Leffell sounds like he's been replaced by the Reverand Bill Tatolivich > (probably spelled his name wrong), but their personalities sound just > about the same. Wow. First off, Cap'n absolutely butchered my name, but that's not a problem. It's always interesting to see how folks spell my name. Also, Cap'n, I appreciate the sentiment, but nobody seems to agree with you. Reading these posts (the me vs. Leffel) was kind of an ego boost, immediately followed by being knocked in the groin a couple of times. If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go beat my breast for a while. The Rev |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| | Reverend Bill Tatalovich | Home page: | | | http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/ | | wt3@cec.wustl.edu | feedback for toddlers e-zine: | | personnel@kwur.wustl.edu | http://www.poboxes.com/fft/ | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980713224431.0072fea0@cybnetonline.com> Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 17:44:31 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: leffel >> NEVER EVER EVER COMPARE SOMEONE TO LEFFEL, kay? > >unless it's in the form of, say, "talking with mike leffel is like having >dinner with robin williams at mel brooks' house when all of the sudden who >should come through the door but bob newhart, mark tonra, douglas >adams, tom robbins, and a small choir of reprogrammed daleks singing 'you >are my sunshine' exactly one flattened fifth out of tune with each >other..." > or "watching British TV, which of course is in all spanish. As your watching you suddenly see your image on the screen. Then of course Howard The Duck kills you in the tv, and points to the 'real' you and sez 'your next buddy boy.' You go running outside of the house screaming the words of the carpenters' songs, when suddenly you realize something is odd. You realize you are not wearing your clothes. You decide this is not a good thing, so you run to sesseme street in the rain. You grab one of the little kids, beat 'im up, steal their clothes. As your trying to put on the clothes, you realize that they are kids clothes and you are an adult, therefore they would never fit. So you help Telly kill Elmo, then take Elmo's hide and fashion some make-shift monster underwear. So you run out screaming some more carpenters' lyrics. Then you find Action Comics #1 and you die from delight." I guess it's like that, only a wole lot cooler. Anyone else got anything that just might compare to the great Leffel! Rev. LDB, of the church of Leffel!!! -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980713224650.00699b04@cybnetonline.com> Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 17:46:50 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: the Rev vs. Leffel? >Reading these posts (the me vs. Leffel) was kind of an ego boost, >immediately followed by being knocked in the groin a couple of times. If >you'll excuse me, I'm going to go beat my breast for a while. > Aw poor guy. You prolly have an infitesimal amount of Leffel in ya. (Enya?) Well, is that enough of an Ego boost? LDB, lying to make you feel better. -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 16:55:09 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: the Rev vs. Leffel? Message-ID: On Mon, 13 Jul 1998, Bill Tatalovich wrote: > Reading these posts (the me vs. Leffel) was kind of an ego boost, > immediately followed by being knocked in the groin a couple of times. If > you'll excuse me, I'm going to go beat my breast for a while. hey, bill... don't get down about this. this is in no way meant to suggest that you aren't extremely cool. it's just that you and mike leffel are very different. that's all. --jim kuemmerle, who's hoping your groin is feeling better... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 19:00:04 -0800 From: Emerson College Student Subject: Non-TMBG:pleh! Message-id: <35AAC9B1.B75B2FF8@emerson.edu> Anyone with any kind of (music) producing background.. HELP!!! I'm volunteering with a new orchestra, the Boston Virtuosi, and eventually, they want to record some stuff. I can get an engineer or five, but it looks like I may end up producing this monster and I've never done anything like this before. Anyone who even knows anyone who's produced any kind of music... please oh please email me! The last thing I want is for the CD to sound like doody because I can't do a final mix to save my life. I need to talk to someone who's done production work in a studio (no matter how small and no, your mom's garage really doesn't count) and has some experience working with a digital editing system (although that much I can do all right by myself). Any help would be greatly appreiciated, and Paul Dulude, the conductor, will graciously send you cookie-type items through a fax machine. :D MNDA ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980713185840.0069b8e0@130.127.28.14> Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 18:58:40 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Dial-A-Song online stuff! Hey, go to the TMBG Dialasong page on tmbg.com...I suppose streaming Quicktime is going to be the method of file transfer for Dialasong.com, once it's finished. I like this a lot better than low quality WAVs... :-) -Adam /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 19:10:12 -0800 From: Emerson College Student Subject: TMBG: Mono Puff Show (listed as 8/18) Message-id: <35AACC11.B3883094@emerson.edu> I believe that Rob's right, the other Mono Puff shows are on Thursdays. This one, however, is listed as happening at the Central Park Bandshell ( something like that, anyway), which leads me to assume that it's all ages. What are they gonna do, card the squirrels? I think I may check into that date a little and see if is is indeed a wednesday night show. Dilligently checking up on all things giant, Amanda ------------------------------ From: DrWormX@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 19:41:25 EDT Subject: TMBG: Non-tmbg: Keepers of the flame I'll be on that list soon enough.... heh heh heh Matt-- blame it on pez addiction Alone And Bored on a thirtieth-century night Will I see you on The Price Is Right? Will I cry? Will I smile As you run down the aisle? ------------------------------ From: filthyscarecrow@webtv.net Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 19:03:41 -0500 (EST) Subject: TMBG: pioneers of alternative, but ska? Message-ID: <8143-35AAA05D-3493@mailtod-151.iap.bryant.webtv.net> hey everybody, an interesting revelation came to me in the bath; that They Might Be one of the first ska bands. as far as i know, the definition of Ska is a guitar and some brass with some drums and a bass, right? the johns were doing that in '93 with the wdtss single. now, the first time i ever heard of ska was in '96, so obviously, ska was an "underground" form of music for some time. any ska fans out there that can help out? "if you want me fuckin' come and find me, i'll be waitin' with a gun and a pack of sandwhiches" -radiohead "Oh, radiohead, the sound of a brand new world" -the talking heads ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980714002219.00736ba8@cybnetonline.com> Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 19:22:19 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: pioneers of alternative, but ska? At 07:03 PM 7/13/98 -0500, filthyscarecrow@webtv.net wrote: > hey everybody, an interesting revelation came to me in the bath; that >They Might Be one of the first ska bands. as far as i know, the >definition of Ska is a guitar and some brass with some drums and a bass, >right? the johns were doing that in '93 with the wdtss single. now, the >first time i ever heard of ska was in '96, so obviously, ska was an >"underground" form of music for some time. any ska fans out there that >can help out? > TMBG has never had the Ska-up-beat to my rememberance, which is the actual definition of ska. Ska don't need horns or gutars or bass, just the up-beat. LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 19:31:36 -0500 (CDT) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: pioneers of alternative, but ska? Message-ID: On Mon, 13 Jul 1998 filthyscarecrow@row.net wrote: > hey everybody, an interesting revelation came to me in the bath; that > They Might Be one of the first ska bands. as far as i know, the > definition of Ska is a guitar and some brass with some drums and a bass, > right? the johns were doing that in '93 with the wdtss single. now, the > first time i ever heard of ska was in '96, so obviously, ska was an > "underground" form of music for some time. any ska fans out there that > can help out? Oh, I can just see the hundreds of posts about this, but I'll be the first, I suppose. Ska has been around for years and years and years. It is essentially a co-runner of reggae...both were started in the Carribean, both involve the use of guitars on the upbeat, etc., etc. In fact, some (very little, but some) of Bob Marley's work can be considered ska, and is by most music folks. Ska has come in three major waves...the first, out of the carribean in the sixties (maybe the fifties as well?), the second, out of Britain in the early eighties (Madness--not including "Our House"--, Specials, etc.), and the third from America (mainly), with acts like the Toasters, Let's Go Bowling, and the Scofflaws personifying true ska, and with Smash Mouth, Reel Big Fish, Goldfinger, and others bastardizing it. In addition, the instrumentation of a band does not make it a ska band. TMBG may have a couple of songs that are close to the ska rhythm and everything (I forget which, and maybe I'm just hallucinating), but They have not, and (probably) never will be ska. This is a call (musical reference, anyone, anyone?)....if your idea of ska music is a band with horns, pick up a Toasters CD. A Scofflaws CD. A Specials CD. Just get to know real ska music...and you just might be able to figure out just what fakes some bands out there actually are. Fave bastardization (it's not always bad, you know) of ska....the New York Ska-Jazz Ensemble. With members of the Scofflaws, Let's Go Bowling (I think), the Toasters, Hepcat (another amazing ska band), etc., etc. Their cover of John Coltrane's "Naima" rules.... Shaking his head....ska starting in the 90's? Bah.... The Rev |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| | Reverend Bill Tatalovich | Home page: | | | http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/ | | wt3@cec.wustl.edu | feedback for toddlers e-zine: | | personnel@kwur.wustl.edu | http://www.poboxes.com/fft/ | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 05:54:00 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: pioneers of alternative, but ska? Message-ID: <19980713.055402.5150.0.Prince_Nez@juno.com> From: prince_nez@juno.com (Prince Nez) I'm not the one of the largest ska fans, but most of my friends are. Through my adventures with them I've learned that the roots of ska come from reggae. The band (that I know of) that sort of made the link between the two kinds of music were the Skatalites (playing since about '93, it think). Another source of this information was from my Rastafarian biology teacher who is a major listener of reggae, but is as big a fan of ska as everybody else I know. That's what I've come to know to be true. Ska has just become more widely known as The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Sublime, and other various bands have become popular. Ska aslo has roots from swing, jazz, and calypso. this page: http://angelfire.com/ny/Stupidcarboy/radio.html has a history of ska, which goes more into detail of it's Jamaican/Rastafarian/Swing/Reggae/Jazz roots. > hey everybody, an interesting revelation came to me in the bath; >that >They Might Be one of the first ska bands. as far as i know, the >definition of Ska is a guitar and some brass with some drums and a >bass, >right? the johns were doing that in '93 with the wdtss single. now, >the >first time i ever heard of ska was in '96, so obviously, ska was an >"underground" form of music for some time. any ska fans out there that >can help out? _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980713201121.0069b604@pop.indy.net> Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 20:11:21 -0400 From: rachel Subject: Re: TMBG: pioneers of alternative, but ska? filthyscarecrow@webtv.net wrote: > hey everybody, an interesting revelation came to me in the bath; that >They Might Be one of the first ska bands. <>> i beleive tmbg are classified as "new wave". although that doesn't mean they couldn't be other things. what exzactly is "new wave" anyway? meow, rachel "obsessive projects" can now be found at: http://www.geocities.com/soho/museum/5039 enjoy, (or whatever it is that you do) "i stay inside, i have no television. but i can recite edgar allan poe line for line..." ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980713212526.006ab5f4@130.127.28.14> Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 21:25:26 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: pioneers of alternative, but ska? At 08:11 PM 7/13/98 -0400, rachel wrote: > >i beleive tmbg are classified as "new wave". although that doesn't mean >they couldn't be other things. what exzactly is "new wave" anyway? (shakes his head) Nope, they're alternative. Like R.E.M. and the Meat Puppets, they played a pretty huge part in shaping the "genre"... -Adam /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 18:28:55 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: leffel Message-ID: do you guys really think that Leffel would appreciate all of this misplaced worship? First of all, i doubt that he knows that half of the people on this list worship him as a god, and if it were me, I would hate it. Cap'n "never in his life would he worship a man, especially one who's alive" Helfgott ------------------------------ From: TMBGChris@aol.com Message-ID: <6ac5a4d2.35aab6bf@aol.com> Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 21:39:10 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: pioneers of alternative, but ska? They Might Be Giants were not even CLOSE to the first ska bands,, Ska bands were in the 80's (Madness one of them) and there were thousands more... just thought i would share,,, since i am ska fan later chris ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 22:00:19 -0400 (EDT) From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: leffel > >sounds kinda like me about now (with the people criticizing him and all), >Leffell sounds like he's been replaced by the Reverand Bill Tatolivich >(probably spelled his name wrong), but their personalities sound just >about the same. lol! No offense to any of the parties mentioned, but um... no. Bill doesn't usually just post for the hell of it; Leffell used to post long diatribes with no discernable point... which is why he annoyed many people. Kirsten "I Heart Leffell AND the Rev" Brodbeck -- [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] "And she said losing love is like a window in your heart Everybody sees you're blown apart..." - Paul Simon "Graceland" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 22:05:48 -0400 (EDT) From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Non-tmbg: Keepers of the flame Hmmm... Can I be the Keeper of the Really Nice Emails? ;) Kirs -- [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] "And she said losing love is like a window in your heart Everybody sees you're blown apart..." - Paul Simon "Graceland" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 21:08:52 -0500 (CDT) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: non-TMBG: XTC Message-ID: Hey all-- I know a lot of people on here like XTC, so I figured I'd post it here. Then again, the people who like XTC probably know already, but whatever. Here it is: <> The Rev |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| | Reverend Bill Tatalovich | Home page: | | | http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/ | | wt3@cec.wustl.edu | feedback for toddlers e-zine: | | personnel@kwur.wustl.edu | http://www.poboxes.com/fft/ | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 20:30:39 -0600 Subject: TMBG: Re: leffel, ska Message-ID: <19980713.203115.3478.4.TMBgirl@juno.com> >do you guys really think that Leffel would appreciate all of this >misplaced worship? First of all, i doubt that he knows that half of >the >people on this list worship him as a god, and if it were me, I would >hate >it. uhm... actually he does know that half the list worships him because as i recall he had a fan club started up just before he disappeared the first time... i think he rather enjoyed it. if anyone ever wanted to start some sort of psycho cult leffel would have no problem getting followers... >They Might Be Giants were not even CLOSE to the >first ska bands,, Ska bands were in the 80's >(Madness one of them) and there were thousands more... >just thought i would share,,, since i am ska fan madness? a la Our House? uhm, no... ska has been around for waaay the hell longer than that... you gotta remember that we're in fourth wave right now... i believe the first real ska wave was in the late 50's to early 60's (not that the music wasn't always there). but i'm no first or second wave fan, nor do i pretend to be so i'm just guessing.... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html NEW SITE: http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980714023607.0072d86c@cybnetonline.com> Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 21:36:07 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: pioneers of alternative, but ska? At 08:11 PM 7/13/98 -0400, rachel wrote: >filthyscarecrow@webtv.net wrote: >> hey everybody, an interesting revelation came to me in the bath; that >>They Might Be one of the first ska bands. > ><>> > >i beleive tmbg are classified as "new wave". although that doesn't mean >they couldn't be other things. what exzactly is "new wave" anyway? > New Wave is basically the term that means, non-pop, non-metal, non-previously-classified. It basically became Alternative in leter years. :) LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980714023812.0072d85c@cybnetonline.com> Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 21:38:12 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: leffel You really don't know Leffel. Leffel basked in the hero worship while on the list, and he will be happy to return to the God worship. Leffel will destroy nay-sayers like you. So HA! LDB At 06:28 PM 7/13/98 -0700, leonard helfgott wrote: >do you guys really think that Leffel would appreciate all of this >misplaced worship? First of all, i doubt that he knows that half of the >people on this list worship him as a god, and if it were me, I would hate >it. >Cap'n "never in his life would he worship a man, especially one who's >alive" Helfgott > > > > -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35AAC559.1CDF@rica.net> Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 22:41:29 -0400 From: Joey Groah Subject: Re: NONTMBG: Re: leffel > > do you guys really think that Leffel would appreciate all of this > misplaced worship? First of all, i doubt that he knows that half of the > people on this list worship him as a god, and if it were me, I would hate > it. I don't think people on the list worship Leffel, definitely not half. I don't, I doubt Jim or the other people posting do. It'd probably freak him out or make him laugh or allow many riffs on the Muncchichis, which was part of his charm, posting more than "Girl pretty" or fake suicide notes. I always had lively and entertaining "conversations" with Mike, something I always doubted possible over a computer. Mike's a fun guy, a good running joke, and missed. Joey, worships the al ighty al er ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #8-14 *****************************