Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #8-16 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 8, Number 16 Thursday, 16 July 1998 Today's Topics: NonTMBG: Ska TMBG: Istanbul c.d single's highest bid Re: NonTMBG: Ska Re: NonTMBG: Ska Re: TMBG: New Word non-TMBG: What's up with the German? Re: TMBG: Istanbul c.d single's highest bid Re: TMBG: Istanbul c.d single's highest bid Re: TMBG: New Word Re: NonTMBG: Ska Re: NonTMBG: Ska Re: NonTMBG: Ska Re: NonTMBG: Ska TMBG: Why someone would pay high amounts of money for... Re: NON TMBG: New Wave or Alternative Re: NON TMBG: German words Re: TMBG: New Word Re: non-TMBG: What's up with the German? TMBG: back to skull ep Re: NON TMBG: German words Re: non-TMBG: What's up with the German? TMBG: what stations will play Doctor Worm?? TMBG: Wormies? Re: TMBG: Wormies? NON-TMBG: ska, fonts! Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm heard on Radio Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm heard on Radio Re: NON TMBG: German words Re: NonTMBG: Ska Re: NonTMBG: Ska Re: non-TMBG: What's up with the German? Non-TMBG: Neo-classical modernist 4th wave post alternative punk pop TMBG: Baltimore rides to show(s) Re: Non-TMBG: Neo-classical modernist 4th wave post alternative punk pop Re: TMBG: Wormies? TMBG: I've got something you want! Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 00:34:15 -0700 Subject: NonTMBG: Ska Message-ID: <19980715.003435.18862.1.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Josh Nielsen) Okay. I guess no one listens to me, so this allows me to have a bit of freedom in what I say. I'm glad people have better communication skills than I do, so that they can say the EXACT SAME F***ING THING I DID, but make it clear. I also wanted to say to the inDUHvidual (no sp. mistake) who said that "ska wasn't about horns or guitars, it just has to be up-beat", WHERE THE HELL DO YOU GET YOUR INFO?? Are you saying that every song that is up-beat is ska??? So, there is no such thing as techo, dance, or swing??? It's all ska??? If that's true, then WHY ARE THERE SO MANY F***ING CATEGORIES OF MUSIC??? WE COULD GET BY ON TWO!! Imagine a world where all music stores have teo halves - Easy listening and ska. I just solved our classification problems!!!! I'm sorry, I don't normally make fun of people, but this little seed of ignorance just got to me. Josh "Long Live Leffell" Nielsen jnielsen69@juno.com http://www.angelfire.com/or/jnielsen/ http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Studio/4091 ICQ #1337243 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <359E53B3.2F44@stlnet.com> Date: Sat, 04 Jul 1998 09:09:23 -0700 From: Pat Acquisto Subject: TMBG: Istanbul c.d single's highest bid The highest bid is now 25 bucks from Lynn. is anyone willing to to this? ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35ACCF0C.1410@fuse.net> Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 08:47:24 -0700 From: jays your one-paged dictionary Organization: dial-a-song! 718-387-6962, narrrrrrrrr! Subject: Re: NonTMBG: Ska Josh Nielsen wrote: > > make it clear. I also wanted to say to the inDUHvidual (no sp. mistake) > who said that "ska wasn't about horns or guitars, it just has to be > up-beat", WHERE THE HELL DO YOU GET YOUR INFO?? Are you saying that > every song that is up-beat is ska??? So, there is no such thing as techo, > dance, or swing??? It's all ska??? If that's true, then WHY ARE THERE > SO MANY F***ING CATEGORIES OF MUSIC??? WE COULD GET BY ON TWO!! i have a few qualms. ska is, as far as i can tell, reggae's precursor; i heard someone mention this already, and i'd like to make it clear that i back that view up. reggae came as a more offbeat version of ska, at first, but was popularized before ska. you can have ska without horns. it is, at its core, the guitar beat on the second and fourth in the measure, and the percussion on the first and second--horns are part of the style, but ska has a distinct sound you can hear with or without accompaniment. pop swing does not do this. pop swing has horns. by your definition, then, would swing be ska? (squirrel nut zippers type swing ain't real jazz, either, but we won't get into that.) take some bengay or something. you seem very flammatory today. peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jay. -- jayhc, "oh, ah was smohkin some grahss en tha summER.." e-mail: sirjamez@fuse.net, phonebook@tmbg.org aol im: SaturnChrd, PhoneBookJ irc: PhoneBook "and sadly the cross-eyed bear's been put to sleep behind the stairs, and his shoes are laced with irony." --tmbg "Hey, some people take drugs and some people like to have sex all day, I like to watch my bees as I make music, so what." --steve vai -- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35ACCFD1.39F3@fuse.net> Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 08:50:41 -0700 From: jays your one-paged dictionary Organization: dial-a-song! 718-387-6962, narrrrrrrrr! Subject: Re: NonTMBG: Ska jays your one-paged dictionary wrote: > > you can have ska without horns. it is, at its core, the guitar beat on > the second and fourth in the measure, and the percussion on the first > and second--horns are part of the style, but ska has a distinct sound > you can hear with or without accompaniment. i'm sorry. i meant percussive beat on the first and third, for any who might be confused by my error. ------------------------------ From: ArwenAnaNg@aol.com Message-ID: <2765a5f0.35aca4c9@aol.com> Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 08:47:04 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: New Word In a message dated 98-07-15 00:56:56 EDT, stagles@wantree.com.au writes: << how's about we call them... "wormies"? >> That is FABULOUS! It's a perfect word for those who begin following the Twin Quasars of Rock as a result of Dr. Worm. I applaud you... loudly... from Florida,USA. Arwen "Sometimes I wish that I were clever. Other times I wish I were a poly- dactyl cat." AnaNg ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 07:55:37 -0500 (CDT) From: Robin Subject: non-TMBG: What's up with the German? Message-ID: Ich habe eine Frage...warum so viel Deutsch? Kann jedemann auf die Liste Deutsch sprechen? Danke Robin Oh, and the quote below was spoken by President Kennedy on his trip to Germany. I bet they all laughed at him! On Tue, 14 Jul 1998, leonard helfgott wrote: > here's the one think I know in German, > Ich Ben ein Berliner: I am a jelly filled donut. > ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980715095312.006bb4e8@130.127.28.14> Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 09:53:12 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Istanbul c.d single's highest bid At 09:09 AM 7/4/98 -0700, Pat Acquisto wrote: >The highest bid is now 25 bucks from Lynn. is anyone willing to to this? ::laughs out loud:: http://www.compactdiscovery.com/ has it for $5.95 + s&h, and http://www.alternativemusic.com/ has it for $6.99 + s&h. I can't fathom why someone would pay $25 for it. -Adam /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: MsTanbul@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 10:15:50 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Istanbul c.d single's highest bid Maybe I'm missing something, but why is someone willing to pay so much for the cd single? I'm sure there must be a logical answer. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199807151436.WAA03692@vector.wantree.com.au> From: "Carla Stagles" Subject: Re: TMBG: New Word Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 22:36:31 +0800 > That is FABULOUS! It's a perfect word for those who begin following the Twin > Quasars of Rock as a result of Dr. Worm. I applaud you... loudly... from > Florida,USA. thank ye thank ye! wow, such praise from across the pacific, again i am muchly pleased and impressed with US hospitality :) i just can't wait until i spot this word on common usage (i hope!) then all my years of life will have amounted to something... i will have spawned.. A WORD. damn having children... i could marry a dictionary and have a family of words! maybe some of them might even go on to university... and become POLYSYLABIC. *sigh* ahhh, bliss. carla "i get paid in the brain" ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980715151926.0072b370@cybnetonline.com> Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 10:19:26 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: NonTMBG: Ska Sorry Josh it was a little typing mistake. What generaly clasifies Ska is not the instruments, it is the up-beat Off-beat. This is generaly: DRUMS: BEAT BEAT BEAT BEAT MUSIC: NOTE NOTE NOTE NOTE That is what generally classifies Ska. I myself used to define Ska as "Punk with Horns." But then I learned something more. I'm not saying my rule is all inclusive, but it is what I generally use to figure out whether something is Ska or Not. LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980715114119.006a2b48@130.127.28.14> Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 11:41:19 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: NonTMBG: Ska At 10:19 AM 7/15/98 -0500, The Li'l Depressed Boy wrote: >Sorry Josh it was a little typing mistake. What generaly clasifies Ska is >not the instruments, it is the up-beat Off-beat. This is generaly: If it matters, this is the exact same definition I saw on alt.guitar that ended a similar "what's ska?" war. Eventually, most everybody accepted this definition. -Adam /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 13:44:18 -0400 (EDT) From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: NonTMBG: Ska >Okay. I guess no one listens to me, so this allows me to have a bit of >freedom in what I say. I'm glad people have better communication skills >than I do, so that they can say the EXACT SAME F***ING THING I DID, but >make it clear. Good Lord Josh, lay off the caffiene and take some deep cleansing breaths or something! a) this is a listserv, people aren't going to read everything before they reply, so part of the reason people are saying the exact same thing you did is that they didn't get far enough to read what you said. b) this is a listserv, everybody's got to jump in with what they know. You should know that by now. :} I also wanted to say to the inDUHvidual (no sp. mistake) >who said that "ska wasn't about horns or guitars, it just has to be >up-beat", WHERE THE HELL DO YOU GET YOUR INFO?? I missed or skimmed the original post, but I think they might have been saying something referring to the up-beat in the song, not the general up-beatness of the music. Or something. I dunno. Kirsten -- [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] "And she said losing love is like a window in your heart Everybody sees you're blown apart..." - Paul Simon "Graceland" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980715180234.00724ae0@cybnetonline.com> Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 13:02:34 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: NonTMBG: Ska > I also wanted to say to the inDUHvidual (no sp. mistake) >>who said that "ska wasn't about horns or guitars, it just has to be >>up-beat", WHERE THE HELL DO YOU GET YOUR INFO?? > > I missed or skimmed the original post, but I think they might have >been saying something referring to the up-beat in the song, not the >general up-beatness of the music. Or something. I dunno. > Thank you Kirsten, I'm glad there is someoen who can understand me when I post in the middle of the night. And I will state again it does not need horns or guitars or basses. I could make ska with a Keyboard, or an accordian, or a slide whistle if I felt like it. :) LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 14:12:23 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Why someone would pay high amounts of money for... Message-ID: <19980715.141349.9078.2.gray42@juno.com> Alright, someone asked why a person would pay $25 for a TMBG single. Let's answer this with a saurcastic question. (though I may end up getting my head bashed for this one) Why would someone pay $500 for a few colourful socks filled with beans. I am in no way implying that TMBG fans are idiots. But people don't neccesarily buy things they want to use, ok, let's ask this, Who is John Galt? Mysterio Gal (who is attempting the legendary impossible, reading Atlas Shrugged straight through (My older sister got to page 94 when she finally gave up :).) "0113212108 0921252526 05031822 26082122 062613 042610" -- Claire (w/ credit to Michael Crichton) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 13:46:09 -0400 Subject: Re: NON TMBG: New Wave or Alternative Message-ID: <19980715.141348.9078.0.gray42@juno.com> On Tue, 14 Jul 1998 12:38:52 -0700 (PDT) leonard helfgott writes: >is DEVO new wave? > > DEVO is New Traditionalists :P I had to, besides, this weekend I received two DEVO CD's in the mail, one of them, New Traditionalists. :) Mysterio Gal (who loves stating her off topic glee) "0113212108 0921252526 05031822 26082122 062613 042610" -- Claire (w/ credit to Michael Crichton) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 13:58:45 -0400 Subject: Re: NON TMBG: German words Message-ID: <19980715.141348.9078.1.gray42@juno.com> OK here's my German collection (simple stuff really): Dos- the boot- boat nein- no ja- yes shnell- hurry (got that one from Ren & stimpy) heimat- home weltshmerz- world weariness stimmen der zeit- "voices of the times" now for the German sounding stuff: ach,ist,oont BTW my sister gave me a cpy of this GREAT german drinking song. I love it... pitzelpots and vaugenrod hee hee Mysterio Gal (Steriotypical dirty french man who lives in a tube and carries a pitch fork) "0113212108 0921252526 05031822 26082122 062613 042610" -- Claire (w/ credit to Michael Crichton) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 14:35:02 -0400 (EDT) From: Karri Vasara Subject: Re: TMBG: New Word Message-ID: Actually, I think that's a neat idea and I never thought of that before. I'm in for the "Wormies". Karri Vasara vasara@eng.usf.edu On Wed, 15 Jul 1998, Carla Stagles wrote: > ok... on the recommendation of a certain listie and because no one will > ever over-hear me saying this because i live in Australia and in > Australia... no American's can hear you scream... > > when STD and Dr Worm DO take the world by storm and this list is BOMBARDED > with newbies who all say "man, i love Dr Worm, John and John are > SOOOOOOOOOOOOO cute! How can a worm play the drums?" > > how's about we call them... "wormies"? > > like we call the flood people "floodies".. you know... ah.. what do you > think? > you can tell me so shut up or say "THAT'S THE DUMBEST THING I EVER HEARD" > but you can't crack my head because i am AUSTRALIA!!! mwaaahahaahahhahaaa! > > i usually have some semblance of wit... but it is too cold and i am too > running late. > > that was my thought for the day. i think there's something in that for all > of us. > > carla > "sleep all through the day" > ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 11:52:01 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: non-TMBG: What's up with the German? Message-ID: I know about the Kennedy thing. Also, there is still a long standing debate over whether he said it right (meaning I am a Berliner) or wrong (meaning I am a jelly filled donut) ------------------------------ From: Jeremy Skrenes Subject: TMBG: back to skull ep Message-ID: Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 14:04:56 -0400 (EDT) i just ordered a back to skull ep on www.vinylvendors.com. it was on hold for me from some time ago, so i don't know if they have multiple copies, but it wouldn't hurt to visit the website and ask. needless to say i didn't post this until MY copy was secure, but i thought you might want the info. jeremy * ----------------------------------------- Jeremy Skrenes Email: Jeremy.Skrenes@valpo.edu Valparaiso University ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 15:59:37 -0400 Subject: Re: NON TMBG: German words Message-ID: <19980715.160314.8766.0.Superman75@juno.com> From: superman75@juno.com (Adam Schaaf) hi. >BTW my sister gave me a cpy of this GREAT german drinking song. I >love it... pitzelpots and vaugenrod hee hee that wouldn't by any chance be faith no more's "das schutzenfest"? adam schaaf, ut vek, oslo! ut vek! _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 16:02:25 EDT Subject: Re: non-TMBG: What's up with the German? >> I know about the Kennedy thing. Also, there is still a long standing >> debate over whether he said it right (meaning I am a Berliner) or wrong >> (meaning I am a jelly filled donut) Whether he pronounced it right or wrong, it is irrelevent....to properly say "I am a Berliner" he would have had to say, "Ich bin Berliner." When you say "Ich bin ein Berliner," it is automatically assumed that you are not talking about being a person from some place (in this case Berlin). For example, "Ich bin Hamburger," means "I am a person from Hamburg," but "Ich bin ein Hamburger" means "I am a Hamburger (I'm actually not sure what the German word is for Hamburger, but, hey I'll assume it's the same." Just a brief lesson on German grammer & proving Kennedy (regardless of exact pronouncation (sp?), which could be attributred to his Boston accent) said it wrong... jason "I took 4 years of German in High School & don't know how to say Hamburger" glastetter ------------------------------ From: DrWormX@aol.com Message-ID: <3292961a.35ad0ec1@aol.com> Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 16:19:12 EDT Subject: TMBG: what stations will play Doctor Worm?? I'm very desperate to hear the new Doctor Worm, and I would like to know what stations in the ny/nj area have been known to play it. If anyone can help me out, I'd appreciate it. Matt-- blame it on pez addiction Alone And Bored on a thirtieth-century night Will I see you on The Price Is Right? Will I cry? Will I smile As you run down the aisle? ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot@aol.com Message-ID: <64ce886c.35ad0f63@aol.com> Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 16:21:32 EDT Subject: TMBG: Wormies? If Severe Tire Damage hits it big & a bunch of newbies come, I say we give them a name from the album title & call them "STDs." Because of the double meaning, it would be kind of funny! "Damn! This list is infected with STDs!" "I think we've got a STD over here!" etc. etc...although, I suppose Wormies would be funny, STDs might scare them off the list.... jason "scary spice" glastetter ------------------------------ Message-Id: From: The Pope Subject: Re: TMBG: Wormies? Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 15:32:58 -0500 At 8:21 PM -0000 7/15/98, Happyfroot@aol.com wrote: >If Severe Tire Damage hits it big & a bunch of newbies come, I say we give >them a name from the album title & call them "STDs." Because of the double >meaning, it would be kind of funny! "Damn! This list is infected with STDs!" >"I think we've got a STD over here!" etc. etc...although, I suppose Wormies >would be funny, STDs might scare them off the list.... STD's EVERYWHERE EVERYWHERE OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!! I just can't stop listening to Monopuff's newest album! I think I'm addicted or something. I love the simpletext hidden track too. I'll have to make an MP3 out of it. Jason "doin the middle name thing after Jason Glastetter" Arnold ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 15:07:32 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: NON-TMBG: ska, fonts! Message-ID: On Wed, 15 Jul 1998, The Li'l Depressed Boy wrote: > Thank you Kirsten, I'm glad there is someoen who can understand me > when I post in the middle of the night. And I will state again it does not > need horns or guitars or basses. I could make ska with a Keyboard, or an > accordian, or a slide whistle if I felt like it. :) ska with an accordion!! i'll have to try that... --jim kuemmerle, who's going to run home right now and play some hard rockin' ska for his imaginary roommate... ps-- i got my copy of macromedia fontographer today! woooooohooooo!!!!! free fonts for everyone soon to follow! j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 17:40:04 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm heard on Radio Message-ID: <19980715.174005.4814.0.Mr.Train@juno.com> OK everyone.. I have a decent sounding (even better than Dial-A-Song) wav of Dr. Worm from Sever Tire Damage... it is now 3.65 MB... will making it into an mp3 make it smaller? How do I do this... Carla, didn't you say you had some encoding software? I tried making an mp3 before of the Sleeping in the Flowers radio edit but to no avail... Also, if someone wants to make some space on their webpage for this, that would be great... It is only decent sound because if I made it CD stereo quality sound (which I couldn't do anyway since I recorded it from radio... but I could have hooked my stereo into the aux plug on my sound card and made a better wav than putting my mic in between the speakers)... maybe someone would skip buying the CD Tim, Tim? Tim Tra La La? Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: Dr. Worm Last CD purchase: The Guitar (single) Favorite mainstream song: One Week - BNL (although the video is very disappointing) _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: From: The Pope Subject: Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm heard on Radio Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 17:00:42 -0500 At 9:40 PM -0000 7/15/98, mr.train@juno.com wrote: >OK everyone.. I have a decent sounding (even better than Dial-A-Song) wav >of Dr. Worm from Sever Tire Damage... it is now 3.65 MB... will making it >into an mp3 make it smaller? >How do I do this... Carla, didn't you say you had some encoding software? >I tried making an mp3 before of the Sleeping in the Flowers radio edit >but to no avail... > >Also, if someone wants to make some space on their webpage for this, that >would be great... >It is only decent sound because if I made it CD stereo quality sound >(which I couldn't do anyway since I recorded it from radio... but I could >have hooked my stereo into the aux plug on my sound card and made a >better wav than putting my mic in between the speakers)... maybe someone >would skip buying the CD If you could send it to me I beat I could make an mp3 out of it and I should have space for it on my website. ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 20:01:41 -0400 Subject: Re: NON TMBG: German words Message-ID: <19980715.200825.3478.0.gray42@juno.com> >that wouldn't by any chance be faith no more's "das schutzenfest"? > >adam schaaf, ut vek, oslo! ut vek! What! *Utter shock suprise and horror (in a good way)* She got her copy from an unlabeled mix tape that she received from her boyfriend a long time ago. It sounds like a bunch of drunk german guys in a bar, not heavy instrumentation, it's a very happy song. It also sounded as if it came off an old dusty record (not too old tho'). I myself am a big Mr. Bungle fan, though I've never really heard any FNM. It's a funny thing, because my sister despises Mike Patton, though I did trick her into listening to a bit of music, which she enjoyed immensly, and then hated it again when she found out I was playing Mr. Bungle, hmmm some people. Anyway, that wonderful mix tape also included a really weird Tom Waites song, and another song about a guy with a mustache *joy*. That would be really weird if that german drinking song was by Faith No More. Mysterio Gal (fellow Subgenius & Happy Mutant) "0113212108 0921252526 05031822 26082122 062613 042610" -- Claire (w/ credit to Michael Crichton) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 19:32:14 -0500 (CDT) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: NonTMBG: Ska Message-ID: On Wed, 15 Jul 1998, Josh Nielsen wrote: > Okay. I guess no one listens to me, so this allows me to have a bit of > freedom in what I say. I'm glad people have better communication skills > than I do, so that they can say the EXACT SAME F***ING THING I DID, but > make it clear. [clip the rest] Um...Josh? Did you happen to read MY post, which was posted a few hours before yours? I essentially included the exact same information as yours. Don't blame folks for doing what you yourself have done. In other news...our radio station STILL has not received any promos for the new album, or for "Dr. Worm." I'm starting to get a bit frustrated with it all. We also haven't received the new Bob Mould album (slated for release the same day as STD, I believe), but I won't bore you with that one. The Rev |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| | Reverend Bill Tatalovich | Home page: | | | http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/ | | wt3@cec.wustl.edu | feedback for toddlers e-zine: | | personnel@kwur.wustl.edu | http://www.poboxes.com/fft/ | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ From: NoNonie@aol.com Message-ID: <27689717.35ad58ed@aol.com> Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 21:35:40 EDT Subject: Re: NonTMBG: Ska I'm sorry, but WHO THE HECK REALLY CARES???? Why can't we just listen to the music that we enjoy, without having to classify it as ska, alternative, or new-age? The reason that everyone is on this list is because we all like TMBG. Does it really matter how their music is classified? All that I really care about is that it sounds good. Maybe no one out there will agree with me, but I don't think that we need to argue about this. ~Connie~ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001c01bdb065$1f7e5380$d9c608d1@idiotnot.visi.net> From: "S. Bergeron" Subject: Re: non-TMBG: What's up with the German? Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 22:54:55 -0400 :Whether he pronounced it right or wrong, it is irrelevent....to properly say :"I am a Berliner" he would have had to say, "Ich bin Berliner." When you say :"Ich bin ein Berliner," it is automatically assumed that you are not talking :about being a person from some place (in this case Berlin). For example, "Ich :bin Hamburger," means "I am a person from Hamburg," but "Ich bin ein :Hamburger" means "I am a Hamburger (I'm actually not sure what the German word :is for Hamburger, but, hey I'll assume it's the same." Just a brief lesson on :German grammer & proving Kennedy (regardless of exact pronouncation (sp?), :which could be attributred to his Boston accent) said it wrong... Du hast recht. Ich bin in Deutschland 6 jahre gewohnt. Ich weiss nicht was "Hamburger" ist, aber Ich meine es ist "gekoched hackfleisch". Great pickup line for the guys when they go to Germany: "Moechten Sie meinem schwantz kussen?" Okay, I was a high school jock at the time, but the reaction you get is interesting. :-) Jack Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net bluedawg@tmbg.org "Someday, somebody else besides me will call me by my stage name."--Doctor Worm http://www.tmbg.org/~bluedawg/ ------------------------------ From: Vandal191@aol.com Message-ID: <5eb19f98.35ad75b2@aol.com> Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 23:38:25 EDT Subject: Non-TMBG: Neo-classical modernist 4th wave post alternative punk pop I think there's really something wrong when a band must be categorized before it can be given attention. Although I, like all humans, crave a means of distinguishing one from another, I don't think that putting labels on bands should be as important as the list is making is out to be. >The Spud Boys are Synth-Rock. It's kind of like Rancid or Green Day being called Alternative even though they both are Neo-Punk.< When I saw this, I actually said aloud, "Well, that would be your opinion, Little Presumptuous Boy." Rancid and Green Day ARE Neo-punk? Heavens, if they are the same thing, why do we even need two bands? Therein lies the real problem with this classification stuff. A wise man told me what he calls the first rule of journalism, but I've come to think of it as a metaphor for life: Nobody gives a damn what YOU think. And as for all this history/definition of ska music, I'd like to put in my two cents. Ska did begin in Jamaica, and at first, it was simply double time reggae. I believe this is actually spelled out in the song "Blue Beat and Ska", by Natural Rhythm. In my opinion, the oldest stuff is the best. But styles of music, just like musicians themselves, are bound to change over time. The rap of today hardly sounds similar to the hardcore b-boys of the early 80s. If we want to talk about ska, though, somebody bring up rudeboy culture, because, God, I love the rudeboys. And whoever said Talking Heads were new wave, up your nose with a rubber hose. You listen to "Songs About Buildings and Food" and "Naked" and then you sit in the corner and think about what you've said and why it was wrong. ~Mooser "Your neck your fingers are covered in gold Yet you look so drawn and old Your lifestyle I reject It's the wrong way to earn respect Rudeboyyyyy!" ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Message-ID: <379b3070.35ad775b@aol.com> Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 23:45:30 EDT Subject: TMBG: Baltimore rides to show(s) Hello 41- If there is anyone going from DC/Baltimore to any of the TMBG/Monopuff shows in NYC or wherever else they are playing soon, please write me an email. Also, if you want to go to one, and don't have a ride, email me as well. I might drive myself. Adam ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35ADA3FD.3E1@fuse.net> Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 23:55:57 -0700 From: jays your one-paged dictionary Organization: dial-a-song! 718-387-6962, narrrrrrrrr! Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Neo-classical modernist 4th wave post alternative punk pop Vandal191@aol.com wrote: > > I think there's really something wrong when a band must be categorized > before it can be given attention. Although I, like all humans, crave a means > of distinguishing one from another, I don't think that putting labels on bands > should be as important as the list is making is out to be. > >The Spud Boys are Synth-Rock. It's kind of like Rancid or Green Day being > called Alternative even though they both are Neo-Punk.< > When I saw this, I actually said aloud, "Well, that would be your opinion, > Little Presumptuous Boy." Rancid and Green Day ARE Neo-punk? Heavens, if > they are the same thing, why do we even need two bands? i'm afraid i must disagree. musical classification does not dictate the true content of an artist's music, but rather his application of this art we call noise--rancid and green day ARE both neo punk, in that they use the same techniques and musical styles to get their respective points across, but each has a different story to tell and a different message to give. THAT is why we have two bands. there is a form to every musical style, and many people wish to apply their artistical perception to such forms ... punk is simple guitar, or jazz is complex chordal structures with varying types of instrumental improv, or ska is guitar on the upbeat and drums on the downbeat. i can have a jazz band or a punk band or a ska band or whatever the hell i want, but what differentiates me from every other group of such a type is the way i view the music i play. music can be labeled, but interperetation cannot, and that is the key. labels are good, to a certain point. i can say that reel big fish and the mighty mighty bosstones are both contemporary ska bands, but i cannot under any circumstance label them both as crap because of this. peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jay. -- jayhc--always accurate, constant, and intense. e-mail: sirjamez@fuse.net, phonebook@tmbg.org aol im: SaturnChrd, PhoneBookJ irc: PhoneBook "and sadly the cross-eyed bear's been put to sleep behind the stairs, and his shoes are laced with irony." --tmbg "Hey, some people take drugs and some people like to have sex all day, I like to watch my bees as I make music, so what." --steve vai -- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199807160404.MAA27818@vector.wantree.com.au> From: "Carla Stagles" Subject: Re: TMBG: Wormies? Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 12:04:27 +0800 > STD's EVERYWHERE EVERYWHERE OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!! damn.. that is a good idea.. but you CAN be infected with worms, too you know.. hmmm, i just want my word to be famous :P i guess which ever one TAKES.. is the victorious noun. we'll all have to wait and see ;) carla "go wormies" ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980716010911.00b10670@csrlink.net> Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 01:09:11 -0400 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: TMBG: I've got something you want! That's right. From an un-named source, who obtained it from an un-named source, Flipper1, Pavlov, and your friends on Undernet #tmbg present to you, a good quality MP3 of the Dr. Worm that's been playing on the radio in all those lucky towns. If you don't wanna hear it, don't go to http://www.pavlov.net/tmbg/. Personally, I think it's great. The horns just, blew me away. That's enough gushing, you get the idea. Go the the MP3 already. Dylan "Mike Leffel naked on Conan tonight, I heard it on the internet, so it must be true." Flipse Dylan Flipse...one of them. - dflipse@csrlink.net Dylan's page is at http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ for now. I'll never see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed -They Might Be Giants, the coolest thing this side of Zaphod Beeblebrox. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #8-16 *****************************