Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #8-18 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 8, Number 18 Saturday, 18 July 1998 Today's Topics: Re: Non TMBG: Mike TMBG: It Might Be A Parody TMBG: It Might Be A Parody Re: TMBG: It Might Be A Parody TMBG: non-tmbg:Who is Jason Vorhees? Non-TMBG: Jason Voorhees NONTMBG: Musical Complexity (was Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm) Re: TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y and Dr. Worm re: TMBG: hello, the istanbul cd, and video bootleg ? NON-TMBG: Classical music, complexity in music, Helfgott not thinking before Sort of TMBG: Web Page Idea Re: Sort of TMBG: Web Page Idea Re: Sort of TMBG: Web Page Idea Re: Sort of TMBG: Web Page Idea Non-TMBG: Talking Heads and their various waves Re: NON-TMBG: Classical music, complexity in music, Helfgott not thinking be Re: NON-TMBG: Classical music, complexity in music, Helfgott not thinking be Re: NONTMBG: Musical Complexity (was Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm) TMBG: Dr. Worm Impression Re: NONTMBG: Musical Complexity (was Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm) TMBG: Istanbul single Re: TMBG: What is our good friend, Linnell, REALLY saying in Dr. Worm? Re: TMBG: I've got something you want! Re: TMBG: I've got something you want! Re: TMBG: I've got something you want! Re: TMBG: I've got something you want! Re: TMBG: I've got something you want! Re: TMBG: I've got something you want! Re: TMBG: I've got something you want! TMBG: Web Page Idea - missing listies... Re: NONTMBG: Musical Complexity (was Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm) Re: TMBG: I've got something you want! Re: TMBG: I've got something you want! TMBG: non-tmbg:parody blues Re: NONTMBG: Musical Complexity (was Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm) Re: TMBG: I've got something you want! TMBG: STD version of Ana NG Re: TMBG: STD version of Ana NG Re: TMBG: STD version of Ana NG Re: TMBG: STD version of Ana NG Re: Sort of TMBG: Web Page Idea TMBG: Live!! In NYC CD Re: NON-TMBG: Complexity in music, replying Re: TMBG: STD version of Ana NG TMBG: TMBG Hits the Northwest! Re: TMBG: TMBG Hits the Northwest! Re: TMBG: I've got something you want! Re: Non TMBG: Atlas Shrugged and numbers Re: TMBG:live in NYC Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <19980717063013.16601.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: Re: Non TMBG: Mike Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 23:30:12 PDT I sang it to myself. Funny, it didn't fit when I sang it out loud. >sniff< >sob< Josh Buc... Oh, to hell with the goddamn sig! ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980717065349.14441.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: TMBG: It Might Be A Parody Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 23:53:49 PDT That Hot-Cha bit gave me an idea, so I sat down at the ol' DELL and took out my Lincoln lyric sheet, and gave it a whirl myself, tell me what you think. I remember the year I went to camp I heard about some lady named Vorhees and her son Somebody let poor Jason go to the bottom of the lake And it wasn't to much later she came back to get them all I remember when Jason got his sho-ot at some good ol' fash'n'd reveeeeeenge And that's all I can think of but I'm sure you'd understand I'm sure you'd be forgetful if you got a labotomy Jason Vorhees He sure's pissed off because summer made him bored (SKIP TO THE END) Jason Vorhees will never die and he don't need a reason why Jason Vorhees is dancing on your grave Thank you, please post your comments. If you like, I might write further parodies. Ya know, I enjoyed writing that!!! Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com "He wants to knock your house down... And he can't, because you're lying in the way of his bulldozer... I think we can come to some arrangement." --Ford Prefect, "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980717065403.23780.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: TMBG: It Might Be A Parody Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 23:54:02 PDT That Hot-Cha bit gave me an idea, so I sat down at the ol' DELL and took out my Lincoln lyric sheet, and gave it a whirl myself, tell me what you think. I remember the year I went to camp I heard about some lady named Vorhees and her son Somebody let poor Jason go to the bottom of the lake And it wasn't to much later she came back to get them all I remember when Jason got his sho-ot at some good ol' fash'n'd reveeeeeenge And that's all I can think of but I'm sure you'd understand I'm sure you'd be forgetful if you got a labotomy Jason Vorhees He sure's pissed off because summer made him bored (SKIP TO THE END) Jason Vorhees will never die and he don't need a reason why Jason Vorhees is dancing on your grave Thank you, please post your comments. If you like, I might write further parodies. Ya know, I enjoyed writing that!!! Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com "He wants to knock your house down... And he can't, because you're lying in the way of his bulldozer... I think we can come to some arrangement." --Ford Prefect, "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 01:25:42 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: It Might Be A Parody Message-ID: > That Hot-Cha bit gave me an idea, so I sat down at the ol' DELL and took > out my Lincoln lyric sheet, and gave it a whirl myself, tell me what you > think. > > I remember the year I went to camp > I heard about some lady > named Vorhees and her son > Somebody let poor Jason alright. one more question for the day, and then i'm done. who's jason vorhees? --jim kuemmerle, who thinks his own name would be a much better fit in the hot cha parody, syllabically speaking... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980717074058.14589.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg:Who is Jason Vorhees? Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 00:40:56 PDT Jason Vorhees is the Jason in the hokey mask from the horror movie "Friday the 13th". Verry scary. NOT!!! I'm suprised they made... what was it... something like 8 movies. Halloween was better. Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com "He wants to knock your house down... And he can't, because you're lying in the way of his bulldozer... I think we can come to some arrangement." --Ford Prefect, "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199807170756.DAA16312@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 02:56:30 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Non-TMBG: Jason Voorhees At 01:25 AM 7/17/98 -0600, you wrote: > >> That Hot-Cha bit gave me an idea, so I sat down at the ol' DELL and took >> out my Lincoln lyric sheet, and gave it a whirl myself, tell me what you >> think. >> >> I remember the year I went to camp >> I heard about some lady >> named Vorhees and her son >> Somebody let poor Jason > >alright. one more question for the day, and then i'm done. > >who's jason vorhees? The main character in the infamous Friday the 13th schlock horror movie series. Harf, Mitch "I had a linguistics professor who said that it's man's ability to use language that makes him the dominant species on the planet. That may be. But I think there's one other thing that separates us from animals. We aren't afraid of vacuum cleaners." Support the Harf Project: All your questions answered, all your problems solved: ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980717124443.2862.rocketmail@web1.rocketmail.com> Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 05:44:43 -0700 (PDT) From: Danielle Gaither Subject: NONTMBG: Musical Complexity (was Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm) ---leonard helfgott wrote: > > where does it say in music philosophy that the more complex the better? Counterpoint classes. Trust me on this. > Not in the history. If you were to list the great musicians of all time, > I'm almost positive that Mozart would be in your top 5, and many of his > songs consist solely of tonic chord tones in the base and scale runnings > in the treble (I'm not saying that I could write anything comparable to > anything written by Mozart, just stating the technical complexity). On They do? I had to analyze some Mozart for my theory classes, and I didn't really find that to be true. Now, his stuff was not as *harmonically* complex as more modern stuff, but that was mostly because such techniques had not been invented in his time. > the other hand, Mussorgsky, I'm guessing, wouldn't be in your top twenty > (although, he probably would be on the list of a trained music educator), > and he wrote pieces more complex than anyone with the possible exception > of Vivaldi. Just curious: have you heard of Paul Hindemith? His stuff was very complex technically, but he is often criticized as being "too pedantic." Sigh. BTW, J. S. Bach consistently wrote complex stuff. Analyzing some of his contrapuntal works made my head spin. And he is certainly often cited as a favorite, including by none other than a certain John Linnell, as well as a lot of my music professors. Proud holder of a music degree, Danielle Inspector Over the Mine _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: ArwenAnaNg@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 08:58:50 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y and Dr. Worm In a message dated 98-07-16 19:27:27 EDT, hotcha57@hotmail.com writes: << However, what does everyone else think about the horn melody in the new version? It really changes the overall impression of the song. I'm not saying it's a bad change, but it does seem to make the song more mainstream, whether that was intended or not. >> Agreed. It's not a bad change, it's a LOT different from the version I saw them play live and the original Dial-A-Song version. It's defenitely evolved. Arwen "I think it is *Rabbible*?" AnaNg ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35AF5E66.C0F06A18@btc.adaptec.com> Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 08:23:34 -0600 From: Russ Josephson Organization: Adaptec, Inc Subject: re: TMBG: hello, the istanbul cd, and video bootleg ? > Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 11:52:06 -0400 > From: Ree Callahan > Subject: TMBG: hello, the istanbul cd, and video bootleg ? > > Hello, I just resubscribed to the list after being away for a year. I > sure missed all the great giant news. Also a question - when last I was here, there was talk of a > video bootleg 3. Has this been made? Thanks! > Hello Ree, Yes, the TMBG Video Bootleg, Vol. 3 is out, and I've made about 80 copies of it so far for TMBG FANS ONLY! And "I'm the biggest one"! Sorry I could not resist saying that at least once. Visit http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/7158/tmbg.htm for details. And if you like the comic strip "B.C.", check out my new page devoted to it. But here's what's on the Vol. 3 Bootleg video: Date Time Show Songs -------- ----- ------------- ---------------------------- ??/??/89 02:20 Hotel Detective [video] ??/??/89 02:30 They'll Need a Crane [video] ??/??/89 03:10 Ana Ng [video] ??/??/91 07:00 JBTV Particle Man [live] She's Actual Size [live] ??/??/94 00:30 JBTV Intro 01:32 Interview on Snail shell video 02:28 Destination Moon [live] 02:28 Subliminal [live] 02:31 Meet James Ensor [live] 02:07 Istanbul [live] 03:06 Extra Savoir Faire [live] 02:42 Unrelated Thing [live] 01:00 dial-a-song plug 02:50 signing the guitar 05/??/95 02:10 The Wherehouse Lines Upon A Tranquil Brow (cover) 01:45 Seattle, WA I Wanna Be Sedated (cover) ??/??/95 15:00 Cutting Edge 3rd Interview/release of JH Snail Shell [clip] JF Interview: working with full band The Statue [clip] JF Interview: AKA Driver legalities Istanbul [clip] JF Interview: touring then & now JF Interview: on internet newsgroup Snail Shell [clip] JF Interview: making Snail Shell video 11/22/96 04:20 Aron's Records They Got Lost 03:10 Los Angeles CA Maybe I Know (cover) 02/15/97 03:50 Viva Variety Till My Head Falls Off [04/08/97 airdate on Comedy Central] 03/27/97 38:14 78's records Instore: She's Actual Size, Perth, Australia James K Polk, Spiralling Shape, New York City, Counterfeit Faker, Meet James Ensor (slow), Older, Where Your Eyes Don't Go, S-E-X-X-Y, Your Own Worst Enemy, Spy, Birdhouse ??/??/?? 02:45 Spud Goodman How Can I Sing Like A Girl 01:18 Your Own Worst Enemy (over credits) 08/??/97 04:18 Amateur video: A Self Called Nowhere Director: Jordan Cooper (HallofEyes@aol.com) 09/06/97 05:30 Hatch Shell Spy (with I Am Not Your Broom) 02:20 concert Rest Awhile Thank you for your attention Russ -- WORK: HOME: Adaptec, Inc. Russ Josephson 1951 S. Fordham St. 1217 N. Aspen Dr. Longmont, CO 80503 Berthoud, CO 80513-1040 Phone: (303) 684-4722 (970) 532-0453 Fax: (303) 684-3020 (970) 690-1509 (cellular) mailto:russj@btc.adaptec.com mailto:russj@juno.com http://www.adaptec.com http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/7158 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <35AF60E4.E0DDB0A5@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 09:34:12 -0500 From: Chad Maloney Subject: NON-TMBG: Classical music, complexity in music, Helfgott not thinking before posting leonard helfgott wrote: > > where does it say in music philosophy that the more complex the better? Music Philosophy? What's that? Is that the official book that states flat out that Ska must have a guitar and horns, or else. Don't cage music up by sticking rules on it and applying them universally. It doesn't work at all. Listen to what you like and describe things as you will, but realize that there isn't this Grand Book of Music Classification that everyone agrees with, okay? > Not in the history. If you were to list the great musicians of all time, > I'm almost positive that Mozart would be in your top 5, and many of his > songs consist solely of tonic chord tones in the base and scale runnings > in the treble a) Mozart is no where near my top 5. He isn't even in my top 5 classical composers (but Hindemith is, imagine that =). b) Eh? Mozart simple? At times, yes. It may not be complex in the modern sense, but when Mozart was doing his thing, there weren't such concepts yet. My head puts Mozarts life in 1750 - 1790. I haven't had a music history class in a long time, so I may be wrong and I'm too lazy to look it up. Just because Mozart was best at writing the good melody, doesn't mean there wasn't other stuff going on the behind it. c) Never says something like "I'm almost positive that Mozart would be in your top 5" to the list. The list is a diverse beast and there are sections of it that wouldn't even consider the works of Mozart as music. To be honest, you probably couldn't get away with saying "I'm almost positive that TMBG would be in your top 5" to the list and be wholely acurate. Think before you say things like that, man! Unless of course you were almost positive, then you need to learn more about the kinda list you are posting to. > the other hand, Mussorgsky, I'm guessing, wouldn't be in your top twenty > (although, he probably would be on the list of a trained music educator), > and he wrote pieces more complex than anyone with the possible exception > of Vivaldi. Okay, my head digs around for Mussorgsky information. The first thing that pops up is Pictures at an Exhibition and Night on Bald Mountain. Both complex pieces, but my head puts Mussorgsky's work a full century after Mozarts. But at points, both pieces work into simple melodies to give the listener a rest and make the complexity seem more complex. I also put Mussorgsky's music in a different category than Mozart, but that's a personal thing. I enjoy classical music, so I have many different categories for it. Someone who doesn't enjoy classical music may have 1 category for it and by default everything orchestral goes in that box. They can do that if they want. And why do you consider classical music to be the most complex? Because there are so many instruments at one time? That's not valid at all in my mind. Orchestral music is complex at times, but so is a jazz trio, when the three musicians are holding different lines while paying attention to each other at the same time. Miles Davis in an extended [insert musical term for when a soloist is allowed to ignore time and just sorta play for a bit here, cadenza?] just blowing his head off can get complex if you write it out and try to figure out where notes fit in with the rest of the tune and such. Victor Wooten playing a 15 minute solo in the middle of another piece, with only Future Man backing him up is complex. And as a last semi-point, I'm a bass player, and in simplicity comes beauty. I can appreciate a simple bass line that drives the song and blends perfectly, not too ostentacious and not too background. I can also frown upon an artist blowing cheese out his horn, showing off his individual ability at the sacrifice of the group. The technical word for this changes with each group. It has been called Malmsteening many a time. But for this group, we will call it Schermerhorning, okay? (wow, my opinion on Eric Schermerhorn summed up right there *grin*) Well, I've ranted too much already. Have a nice day. - Chad "If Charles Mingus and Mike Leffel had a child, THEN I would worship" Maloney ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980717150703.29857.rocketmail@web4.rocketmail.com> Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 08:07:03 -0700 (PDT) From: Danielle Gaither Subject: Sort of TMBG: Web Page Idea For some time now I've toyed around with making my own TMBG page, like many have done. The thing is, I want to do something that will make my page unique. The other day, the idea hit me: collect TMBG dreams that people have had! I know several people have had them. 1. Do you think this is a good idea? 2. If you have had such a dream, would you be willing to submit it? Thanks, Danielle Inspector Over the Mine _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980717111037.006a4e28@130.127.28.14> Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 11:10:37 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: Sort of TMBG: Web Page Idea At 08:07 AM 7/17/98 -0700, Danielle Gaither wrote: >For some time now I've toyed around with making my own TMBG page, like many >have done. The thing is, I want to do something that will make my page >unique. The other day, the idea hit me: collect TMBG dreams that people have >had! I know several people have had them. There was a "They Might Be Dreams" page up...I'm not sure if it's still up and being updated though. -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980717154739.5529.rocketmail@web4.rocketmail.com> Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 08:47:39 -0700 (PDT) From: Danielle Gaither Subject: Re: Sort of TMBG: Web Page Idea ---Adam Tyner wrote: > > At 08:07 AM 7/17/98 -0700, Danielle Gaither wrote: > >For some time now I've toyed around with making my own TMBG page, like many > >have done. The thing is, I want to do something that will make my page > >unique. The other day, the idea hit me: collect TMBG dreams that people > have > >had! I know several people have had them. > > There was a "They Might Be Dreams" page up...I'm not sure if it's still up > and being updated though. Apparently there was. I did a search and found a link to it, but the link was dead. So, the offer still stands, folks. Interested? Dreaming of Them, Inspector Over the Mine _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980717173451.3507.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Sarah faye" Subject: Re: Sort of TMBG: Web Page Idea Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 10:34:50 PDT >Apparently there was. I did a search and found a link to it, but the link was >dead. So, the offer still stands, folks. Interested? ooh....are you ready for a long one? I had an entire week of dreams about them about a month ago.....dreaming every night for about five hours each night.....I was very tired that week :) The dreams took place in the year 2001. Apparently, in the dream world, the United States had been swept by a plague spread by an evil group of vampires which turned anyone it infected who was between the ages of 11 and 30 into a vampire, and if you got the disease and you were under 11 or over 30, you died. Those who managed not to be infected and therefore remain mortal were herded into various small cities which were surrounded by barbed wire and called "mortal reservations". They were more like concentration camps, with awful conditions inside and vampire scientists doing experiments on the mortals all the time. The vampires are free to live anywhere that isn't a mortal reservation, but since there's only about 10 million vampires (a lot of people who could have been vampires just didn't get the disease and stayed mortal, and many also killed themselves out of guilt at the horror of their new existence) most of them live in New Orleans, various places in California, Manhattan and Brooklyn (the rest of New York City is zoned off as a mortal reservation). Now we arrive at the TMBG portion of the dream. In the days immediately before the plague began, a group of "good" vampires who knew that the bad vampires were going to spread the plague went around and turned some people who were over the age of 30 into vampires to preserve their talents and make sure they didn't die of the plague. Two of those people who were turned were our two Johns. To show that they were detached and unemotional and all that good vampire stuff, the vampires who turned Them made them kill their wives. So, as the dream proper begins, they are not married anymore. As the dream opened, my friend Sara and I were both mortals and imprisoned at the Mortal Reservation of Queens. We were very happy, because as a token gesture of kindness and good will, the Department of Mortal Affairs was allowing They Might Be Giants to play a show inside the Mortal Reservation. We don our trusty trenchcoats and take the bus to the concert hall, arriving early and sneaking into the front. They take the stage and play a very nice show, backed only by the drum machine because the rest of the band is dead. About halfway through the show, John L. looks at me and Sara quite intently for a few seconds, then whispers something to John F. After the show is over, Sara and I are stopped from leaving and redirected backstage, where the Johns are waiting for us. John L. explains that because they are always touring, their weekly blood rations cannot be sent to them as they would normally be. Therefore, they are allowed to each have a mortal blood slave. They pull out offical government forms and ask if we will please be their blood slaves. We sign the forms (damn, that was a bonehead maneuver even for a dream) and John L. decides to make me his blood slave, so John F. gets Sara. We go with them everywhere they go after that; they chain us to the back of the van and makes us eat out of dog bowls, and when they are doing a show we are put in a cage on the stage and the fans reach out and try to touch us. John F. is very mean to Sara and when I try to defend her he beats on me, so both of us are very bruised and swollen throughout. John L. is very nice to me most of the time, and tries to be gentle. John F. loses it one day and kills Sara, then throws her body in a river. John L. manages to get her trenchcoat and one of her shoes for me, and I cuddle them and cry for a very long time. After Sara dies, John L. begins to be really nice to me, letting me sleep in his bed at hotels and stuff like that. He tells me how he became a vampire and how he and John F. had to kill their wives and that's why John F. is so pissed off. Eventually, John L. falls totally in love with me, and asks me to marry him, and of course I say yes, and he makes me into a vampire....and we live happily ever after. :) Sarah faye who reads too many books about vampires and the holocaust ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: Vandal191@aol.com Message-ID: <78f2622f.35af8e97@aol.com> Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 13:49:10 EDT Subject: Non-TMBG: Talking Heads and their various waves >>the term "New Wave" was first applied to the Talking Heads after a music critic for a big newspaper saw them at C.B.G.B. He said something like "You can't fit these guys into anything; it's a whole new wave of music." << I'd never heard of this. But anyway, the way New Wave had always been described to me was rudimentary synthesizing, usually heavy bass lines, and a lot of swing nostalgia. Fun Boy Three and The Cars, that always seemed like New Wave to me, but that was based on my definition of the term. If you want to use the term "New Wave" to describe a time period in music, I suppose that's fair, because that's the only means I've ever heard through which Talking Heads are described. I hear them called Post Punk a lot. >>"True Stories" was the soundtrack to a movie,<< Not exactly. It was Talking Heads' (mainly Byrne's) take on the soundtrack. But you probably already knew that and were just saving time. >>"Naked" was the first album where you could see that the Heads and David Byrne were moving in two different directions musically.<< You really think so? I thought I could smell the end coming on Little Creatures. >>"Rei Momo"<< What does that mean? Momo is the Spanish word for monster. But could that be portugese or one of those other not quite Spanish languages? >>The Heads<< They suck. >>So there<< Stuff it. ~Moo "Still upset that we're not talking about the Rudeboys" se ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 12:34:19 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Classical music, complexity in music, Helfgott not thinking before posting Message-ID: First of all, your point about Mozarts melodies is exactly what I said. A musical piece doesn't need to be complex to be great. Also, I made the mistake that people on the list would know what they're talking about when they gauge musicians, because I would not be able to show you a person who knew what he was talking about who, even though he might not like Mozart very much, wouldn't put him in the top five musicians of all time. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 12:35:00 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Classical music, complexity in music, Helfgott not thinking before posting Message-ID: and the music philosophy thing, that's quoting the person who I responded to. Perhaps you might want to think a little more before posting. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 12:40:50 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: NONTMBG: Musical Complexity (was Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm) Message-ID: I'm not saying that complex music is bad! read my whole posts! I really enjoy Mussorgsky's music, I love Bach, and I also love Mozart. Also, to everyone who says that the techniques that hadn't been "invented" yet, name some of those techniques. Almost all musical techniques go back to the age of Back and Vivaldi, and most go further. Cap'n Helfgott P.S. don't even try to say A-tonal music, while this is used more frequently now then in the age of the classics, it was around everywhere. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <007901bdb1bc$5935ada0$e0353ccc@blatz> From: "Johann D. Beheader" Subject: TMBG: Dr. Worm Impression Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 15:51:51 -0400 Dr. Worm makes me think of Linnell. Rabbi Bull (if that's what it is) reminds me of Flans. However, Dr. Worm plays the drums and Rabbi Bull sounds like he's playing a bass, which is completely wrong. Oh well. Just a thaught. Chew it over, and spit up a reply if you feel like it. -fred "fred" fred [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980717193752.29234.rocketmail@web1.rocketmail.com> Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 12:37:52 -0700 (PDT) From: Danielle Gaither Subject: Re: NONTMBG: Musical Complexity (was Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm) ---leonard helfgott wrote: > > I'm not saying that complex music is bad! read my whole posts! I really I didn't say you were. But you asked where complex music is more valued, and I gave you an answer. > enjoy Mussorgsky's music, I love Bach, and I also love Mozart. Also, to I'm not saying you don't. > everyone who says that the techniques that hadn't been "invented" yet, > name some of those techniques. You're on. Common tone modulation (first used by Beethoven) Chord planing (made popular by Debussy) Chromatic mediants (not used until the Romantic period) Want me to name some others? I'm sure I and any other music majors here on the list can name some more. > Almost all musical techniques go back to > the age of Back and Vivaldi, and most go further. Almost all the ones heard in modern popular music, yes. But not all music. > P.S. don't even try to say A-tonal music, while this is used more > frequently now then in the age of the classics, it was around everywhere. Sure, in the Eastern cultures. But I highly doubt that you can trace, for example, serialism to Bach. Preparing early for graduate school, Inspector Over the Mine _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 12:50:13 -0700 (PDT) From: Nicole Carlson Subject: TMBG: Istanbul single Message-ID: Serves me right for making that offer. You think I'd have learned. :) I've been swamped with requests for the Istanbul single. I have two copies in hand; they are both spoken for. In the interest of fairness, they're going to the first two people to respond-- jim k. and someone named (I swear) "Zoo Laa, King of the Icky Poos." Sooo... if you haven't e-mailed me yet, don't. If you have, you should have heard back from me. Further details as events warrent. Two posts in two days! Mus' be time to go back to work... --nicole twn ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 16:31:36 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: What is our good friend, Linnell, REALLY saying in Dr. Worm? I dunno...my guess is Rabbi (sp?) Boll (as in Boll Weeble (sp?), like Dr. Worm or I suppose Mr. Maggot or Sir Spider, etc.) Just my thought on that...pardon my crappy, crappy spelling today... Oh, yeah, I propose we say both "Wormies" & "STDs" for any of new teenie bopers. They make think "Wormies" is cute & be proud to be called a "Wormie..." now that would get REALLY annoying.... Jason "Soul Coughing pusher" Glastetter ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 16:57:48 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: I've got something you want! I just don't understand this....WHY would you people download the studio version of Dr.Worm?You can't wait a few weeks? Do you WANT to ruin one of the only new things on the album? For me, the main thing that will grab my attention when I put in STD is hearing the studio Dr.Worm for the first time....I can not understand why everyone would want that experience ruined. This is the same reason I didn't download any of the Then bonus tracks when THEY were up somewhere a few weeks before Then came out... I just don't understand...such impatience. Jordan ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199807172102.RAA21827@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 16:02:27 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: I've got something you want! At 04:57 PM 7/17/98 -0400, you wrote: >I just don't understand this....WHY would you people download the studio >version of Dr.Worm?You can't wait a few weeks? Do you WANT to ruin one of the >only new things on the album? For me, the main thing that will grab my >attention when I put in STD is hearing the studio Dr.Worm for the first >time....I can not understand why everyone would want that experience ruined. >This is the same reason I didn't download any of the Then bonus tracks when >THEY were up somewhere a few weeks before Then came out... > >I just don't understand...such impatience. How does it ruin it? I still experienced hearing the studio Dr. Worm for the first time, it was just earlier than you will. Plus, there are other tracks on there that will be totally new to me. This'll just spread the experience over a greater period of time. And finally, why do you care? Harf, Mitch ------------------------------ From: ArwenAnaNg@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 17:02:33 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: I've got something you want! In a message dated 98-07-17 17:00:52 EDT, HallOfEyes@aol.com writes: << I just don't understand this....WHY would you people download the studio version of Dr.Worm?You can't wait a few weeks? >> Because I could die tomorrow and miss the whole thing? Arwen "maybe I'm just pessimistic" AnaNg ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980717170405.006a3a08@130.127.28.14> Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 17:04:05 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: I've got something you want! At 04:57 PM 7/17/98 EDT, HallOfEyes@aol.com wrote: > >I just don't understand...such impatience. Well, if it's already on the radio, I don't see what's wrong with it. That like telling people to turn off their radios because they might hear it. :-) -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 16:08:41 -0500 From: The Pope Subject: Re: TMBG: I've got something you want! At 3:57 PM -0500 7/17/98, HallOfEyes@aol.com wrote: >I just don't understand this....WHY would you people download the studio >version of Dr.Worm?You can't wait a few weeks? Do you WANT to ruin one of the >only new things on the album? For me, the main thing that will grab my >attention when I put in STD is hearing the studio Dr.Worm for the first >time....I can not understand why everyone would want that experience ruined. >This is the same reason I didn't download any of the Then bonus tracks when >THEY were up somewhere a few weeks before Then came out... > >I just don't understand...such impatience. > >Jordan Personally it's not that great of an mp3 job, and second if it's already being played on the radio then what's it matter if we download it now. You ask why I'm asking why not. I don't think it ruins anything. I'm still going to buy the album and I'm still going to love to hear Dr. Worm on CD. In fact, hearing Dr. Worm now makes me want to buy the CD even more. Basically, it's personal preference. You think it'll ruin the experience of hearing it on the CD. That's fine then don't download it now. However, others want to hear it now so they'll download it now. To each his own. Jason "I need more" Arnold ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 17:16:10 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: I've got something you want! In a message dated 98-07-17 17:05:49 EDT, mitcharf@mail.utexas.edu writes: << How does it ruin it? I still experienced hearing the studio Dr. Worm for the first time, it was just earlier than you will. Plus, there are other tracks on there that will be totally new to me. This'll just spread the experience over a greater period of time.>> Well, YES, you experience hearing for the first time by downloading an MP3 also, BUT, I know I would prefer hearing for the first time after spending my money on the album I have been waiting quite a while for...I don't want to download the mp3, then buy the album...instead of turning it on and saying "So THIS is the studio Dr.Worm! Wow! It was really worth buying Severe Tire Damage!" I would say "Yeah...Dr.Worm...heard this already...ok..."...Much of the excitement in getting a new album is killed. Also the reason I didn't hear any of the new songs from Barenaked Ladies' Stunt before buying the album. I want to go to an online BNL fan and say "Hey, I just bought the new BNL album and heard 15 songs that were completely new to me....how about you?" >>Well, if it's already on the radio, I don't see what's wrong with it. That like telling people to turn off their radios because they might hear it. :-)<< Yes, true, but that's a different thing. Like seeing a car wreck or something...once you hear it starting on the radio, it will be hard to turn it off, Obviously people will continue to listen. ...but hearing it on the radio is by accident...it isn't writing down the adress of a website, downloading the song, and listening to it over and over. I guess I could be happy in that I know all the radio stations here suck, and they would never play tmbg :P >>Why do you care?>> I care cause I love. Jordan ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980717172603.0069dda8@130.127.28.14> Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 17:26:03 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: I've got something you want! At 05:16 PM 7/17/98 EDT, HallOfEyes@aol.com wrote: > >Yes, true, but that's a different thing. Like seeing a car wreck or >something...once you hear it starting on the radio, it will be hard to turn it >off, Obviously people will continue to listen. ...but hearing it on the radio >is by accident...it isn't writing down the adress of a website, downloading >the song, and listening to it over and over. I guess I could be happy in that >I know all the radio stations here suck, and they would never play tmbg :P So you're saying that you wouldn't call a radio station and request Dr. Worm if you thought/knew they had the single? -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 15:33:53 -0600 Subject: TMBG: Web Page Idea - missing listies... Message-ID: <19980717.153401.11206.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> The thing is, I want to do something that will make my >page >unique. The other day, the idea hit me: collect TMBG dreams that >people have >had! I know several people have had them. i remember the day when there was a TMBG dream page... anyone know what happened to it? i think it must've been around late-96 or so... perhaps the URL can be found in teh archives if the page still exists. uhm... on a side note with all this talk of leffel anyone member augiewan? :) he was pretty cool too... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html NEW SITE: http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html :::You the timestopper of the neighborhood... and everytime i see you're up to no good::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 14:42:37 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: NONTMBG: Musical Complexity (was Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm) Message-ID: Common tone modulation (first used by Beethoven) Chord planing (made popular by Debussy) Chromatic mediants (not used until the Romantic period) common tone modulation: used by Handel Chord Planing: buroque period Chromatic Mediants: pre-buroque. I am also not ignorant on these matters. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <02cd01bdb1cb$433d7320$0100000a@icefire> From: "Jen" Subject: Re: TMBG: I've got something you want! Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 14:38:36 -0700 >Well, YES, you experience hearing for the first time by downloading an MP3 >also, BUT, I know I would prefer hearing for the first time after spending my >money on the album I have been waiting quite a while for... So, if you had somehow known Then would be made, would you have chosen not to buy any of the three albums on it, so that you wouldn't have heard those songs? Or is it the "spending money" part that matters? Personally, I downloaded the mp3 yesterday, played it over and over through the day, and surprised my 'mate (a major fan) with it when he got home. I just said "hey, listen to this," and played it, and wow, the look of happy surprise on his face... We grabbed our other 'mates and danced around the apartment. I could never have done that with the CD, he'll be there with me on August 11 when we hit the store, so it'll be great but it won't be a great surprise as well. - SpiderEyes ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 15:46:34 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: I've got something you want! Message-ID: <19980717.154640.11206.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> >Because I could die tomorrow and miss the whole thing? 10 points for you. :) > I still experienced hearing the studio Dr. >Worm for > the first time, it was just earlier than you will i think i must have seriously fucked myself over by listening to the bootlegs of all these shows... gee... ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html Next Imax experience: Saturday: EVEREST (heh... finally) Next Indie Film: Buffalo 66 Next Concerts: Tonight: Opie Gone Bad and Feeder - Free! :) Tomorrow: LoDo Music Fest (toasters; sister hazel, galactic) (WHAT ABOUT HANSON?!?!) What's on KTCL right now: St. Joe On The School Bus - Marcy Playground ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980717214634.9568.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg:parody blues Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 14:46:33 PDT I take it my song wasn't a big hit. >sob< Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com "He wants to knock your house down... And he can't, because you're lying in the way of his bulldozer... I think we can come to some arrangement." --Ford Prefect, "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980717214946.12732.rocketmail@attach1.rocketmail.com> Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 14:49:46 -0700 (PDT) From: Danielle Gaither Subject: Re: NONTMBG: Musical Complexity (was Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm) ---leonard helfgott wrote: > common tone modulation: used by Handel But not very often. It certainly wasn't accepted practice. Ask my counterpoint prof. > Chord Planing: buroque period Where? BTW, it's *baroque*, with an "a." > Chromatic Mediants: pre-buroque. Not as such. Music of medieval and renaissance times had more diverse harmonies than baroque music, but that was because our notation system and harmonic "rules" were not standardized at that time. You can't break rules that have yet to be created. > I am also not ignorant on these matters. I didn't say you were. Yours in non-ignorance, Inspector Over the Mine _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 20:33:31 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: I've got something you want! Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 17-Jul-98 Re: TMBG: I've got somethin.. by HallOfEyes@aol.com > I just don't understand this....WHY would you people download the studio > version of Dr.Worm?You can't wait a few weeks? Do you WANT to ruin one of > the only new things on the album? For me, the main thing that will grab my > attention when I put in STD is hearing the studio Dr.Worm for the first > time....I can not understand why everyone would want that experience > ruined. speak for yourself. I don't think anything is ruined by it. I had heard most of Factory Showroom in concert before the album was released. That didn't ruin it... I've heard Dr. Worm... more times in concert than I have fingers, I think... that didn't ruin it. oh no, I've already listened to Lincoln! Now when I listen to it again I won't enjoy Ana Ng anymore! but as long as you want to be all self-righteous about it, I guess I can't do much to make you think otherwise. just know that other people's views differ. Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Everything sticks until it goes away, * This space inadvertently And the truth is we don't know anything." -TMBG * left blank. ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: STD version of Ana NG Message-ID: <19980717.205637.8991.0.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 20:57:52 EDT Does anybody know which version of Ana NG is going to be on STD, the slow one or the fast one? I like the slow one, and I want a good copy of it rather than this crappy recording that I have now. Does anyone know? Thanks. Derek "Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age" _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980717210956.006a02a8@130.127.28.14> Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 21:09:56 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: STD version of Ana NG At 08:57 PM 7/17/98 EDT, Derek A Klein wrote: >Does anybody know which version of Ana NG is going to be on STD, the slow >one or the fast one? I like the slow one, and I want a good copy of it >rather than this crappy recording that I have now. Does anyone know? >Thanks. I believe that I read it's the '94 version from Live!! NYC. It's a slower version, an' I don't much like it. :-) IMHO, they should've put the live acoustic version from the Kit Kat Acoustic Break...one of the best live performances of that song I've heard. -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980718013153.6732.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "VoVat Quetzalcoatlus" Subject: Re: TMBG: STD version of Ana NG Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 18:31:52 PDT Adam Tyner wrote: >At 08:57 PM 7/17/98 EDT, Derek A Klein wrote: >>Does anybody know which version of Ana NG is going to be on STD, the slow >>one or the fast one? I like the slow one, and I want a good copy of it >>rather than this crappy recording that I have now. Does anyone know? >>Thanks. > >I believe that I read it's the '94 version from Live!! NYC. It's a slower >version, an' I don't much like it. :-) STUPID! They're so STUPID! The Live in NYC version is probably the worst version of "Ana Ng" I've heard. In fact, although I don't really have much to compare it to, I would think that the Live in NYC concert was sub-par in general. Sure, the horns were used, but that was true of all John Henry era concerts. The voices seemed a bit off, and the arrangements were nothing special. I did like that version of "She's An Angel," though. By the way, I'm back. Anyone miss me? For that matter, does anyone remember me? Nathan Mulac DeHoff DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980717214055.006a5ab0@130.127.28.14> Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 21:40:55 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: STD version of Ana NG At 06:31 PM 7/17/98 PDT, VoVat Quetzalcoatlus wrote: > >STUPID! They're so STUPID! The Live in NYC version is probably the >worst version of "Ana Ng" I've heard. In fact, although I don't really >have much to compare it to, I would think that the Live in NYC concert >was sub-par in general. Sure, the horns were used, but that was true of I don't really care for Live!! NYC all that much myself. There are some great performances on there (especially The Statue Got Me High, AKA Driver, She's An Angel and a number of others), but some (Ana Ng and Don't Let's Start especially) are unacceptably awful. I don't know if that's the worst version of Ana Ng I've heard (most of them that I've heard are pretty bad; Linnell, please stop playing the keyboard during that song!!!), but that's absolutely the worst Don't Let's Start I have. >all John Henry era concerts. The voices seemed a bit off, and the >arrangements were nothing special. I did like that version of "She's An >Angel," though. I don't really like John Henry era stuff...Apollo 18 era live shows are the absolute best of their career, IMO. What a line-up! >By the way, I'm back. Anyone miss me? For that matter, does anyone >remember me? Yup, of course I remember one of the only other Weird Al fans on this list... ;-) -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980718014107.18768.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "VoVat Quetzalcoatlus" Subject: Re: Sort of TMBG: Web Page Idea Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 18:41:06 PDT >For some time now I've toyed around with making my own TMBG page, like many >have done. The thing is, I want to do something that will make my page >unique. The other day, the idea hit me: collect TMBG dreams that people have >had! I know several people have had them. > >1. Do you think this is a good idea? Yes. Yes, I do. >2. If you have had such a dream, would you be willing to submit it? Actually, I submitted a few TMBG dreams to the list earlier this year. They're probably still in the archives. More recently, however, I had a dream that there was a scandal throughout the TMBG fan community, due to a new interpretation of a song ("Hot Cha," I think). I don't remember all of the details, but I recall that there was a news story stating that the interpretation was untrue. That was near the end of the dream, I think. Also, in the dream, I had the TMBG fan community confused with the International Wizard of Oz Club (of which I am a member). I'm thinking that I might have had the criticism of Baum for some of his remarks on American Indians in the back of my mind. This didn't really cause a scandal, but there was some controversy over it. Nathan (or VoVat, if you prefer) "If you doze much longer, then dreams turn to nightmares" DinnerBell@tmbg.org ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Live!! In NYC CD Message-ID: <19980717.221212.2279.0.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 22:13:23 EDT Does anyone know of any place around the New York state area that have the Live!! In NYC CD? Thanks. Derek "Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age" _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980718033014.24828.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Jason F." Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Complexity in music, replying Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 20:30:13 PDT >where does it say in music philosophy that the more complex the >better? Isn't it really a matter of personal opinion what kind of music is better? On a side note, PLEASE, when you are responding to a post, send it to the list without sending an identical copy to the author of the original post. --Jason-- "Hot Cha, where are you? Everybody's eyes are closed." -They Might Be Giants ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 23:38:22 -0400 (EDT) From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: STD version of Ana NG >By the way, I'm back. Anyone miss me? For that matter, does anyone >remember me? > >Nathan Mulac DeHoff 'Course! I remember everyone! ;) Welcome back. Kirs (in a good mood because she dyed her hair black and it looks neat) -- [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] "And she said losing love is like a window in your heart Everybody sees you're blown apart..." - Paul Simon "Graceland" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ From: Strawbos69@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 23:51:21 EDT Subject: TMBG: TMBG Hits the Northwest! Now, if this wasn't a nice thing to come to, I don't know what is... ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ http://www.bumbershoot.com/artists.html They Might Be Giants Sunday, 8:00 - 9:30 Rock Arena Your daily Bumbershoot ticket admits you to all Bumbershoot activities, concerts, performances and special projects on a first-come, first-served basis. Festival entry does not guarantee concert seating, and evening shows at the Budweiser Mainstage at the Bumbershoot Stadium require a free wristband for admission. Remember the program is subject to change, and the Pacific Science Center, Children's Museum, Space Needle and Fun Forest are not included in admission. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ __ Be there, or be |__| :) -Strawbos69 ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 22:56:05 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Hits the Northwest! Message-ID: <19980717.225611.18190.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> >They Might Be Giants >Sunday, 8:00 - 9:30 >Rock Arena so uhm... am i the only one that was totally confused by this post? what state would this be in? the date... this sunday? btw... the feeder concert (ya know they sing that "high" song... check out the can't hardly wait soundtrack) was pretty crummy but hey, i'm not complaining it was free take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html NEW SITE: http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html Currently playing on KTCL: martian girl - aquabats _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980718051040.00743c38@cybnetonline.com> Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 00:10:40 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: I've got something you want! At 05:02 PM 7/17/98 EDT, ArwenAnaNg@aol.com wrote: >In a message dated 98-07-17 17:00:52 EDT, HallOfEyes@aol.com writes: > ><< I just don't understand this....WHY would you people download the studio > version of Dr.Worm?You can't wait a few weeks? >> > >Because I could die tomorrow and miss the whole thing? > Well, to repond to me pal Jordan: I downloaded it because we don't have good radiator stations here. Plus, chances are it won't even make it to these parts. :) >Arwen "maybe I'm just pessimistic" AnaNg > To respond to me pal Arwen: Nah, your just optimisticly challenged in this politicaly correct world. :) Singin' his own song fer once, LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-ID: <006301bdb20c$16af97c0$5ac708d1@idiotnot.visi.net> From: "S. Bergeron" Subject: Re: Non TMBG: Atlas Shrugged and numbers Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 01:14:58 -0400 :>By the way what is 'Atlas Shrugged' that can't be read straight :>through. :>And what are those numbers 01 13212108 0921etc. etc. all about? :>Richard (who feels like the two of clubs at the moment) : :As the legend goes, of all the people I know (in little ol' Sarasota :County, Florida) no one has made it all the way through Atlas Shrugged :(1084 pages long). But I'll be the first in Venice to do it this summer ::) Atlas Shrugged...all the way through? You've got to be kidding. It took me nearly two weeks to finish it the first time I read it. I finished The Fountainhead in a little under three days. For those of you who haven't read it, do it, now! As influential books go, this is probably one of the best. It will definitely make you think, if nothing else. Jack Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net bluedawg@tmbg.org "Someday, somebody else besides me will call me by my stage name."--Doctor Worm http://www.tmbg.org/~bluedawg/ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 01:46:31 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG:live in NYC Message-ID: <19980718.014631.11950.1.erda@juno.com> From: erda@juno.com (g loworm) so if many of you have mentioned that songs on live in nyc (or the whole thing) is not all that great would any of you like to part with it and spread it to the less fortunate??? _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #8-18 *****************************