Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #8-20 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 8, Number 20 Monday, 20 July 1998 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Web Page Idea - missing listies.../Help ME~~~ TMBG: Kit Kat Acoustic & Dr. Worm TMBG: interp: "destination moon" Re: TMBG: interp: TMBG: bootlegs etc. Non-TMBG: Buffalo 66, Christina Ricci Re: TMBG:live in NYC Re: TMBG: interp: "destination moon" Re: TMBG: interp: "destination moon" Re: TMBG: bootlegs etc. Re: TMBG: interp: Re: TMBG: interp: TMBG: Sarah's Stupid Question of the Undetermined Time Period Re: TMBG: interp: Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: CajunGram@aol.com Message-ID: <7e06486b.35b194f6@aol.com> Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 02:40:53 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Web Page Idea - missing listies.../Help ME~~~ In a message dated 98-07-17 17:39:37 EDT, you write: << uhm... on a side note with all this talk of leffel anyone member augiewan? :) he was pretty cool too... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html NEW SITE: http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html :::You the timestopper of the neighborhood... and everytime i see you're up to no good::: >> YEAH!!!! On another side note from this side note, does anyone remember how long I have been on this list? I have no idea at all, but I'm just curious... I'm not trying to say I don't know because I think I've been on a long time, it's just because I forgot. Man, that makes no sense at all... Oh Well. But how long has it been? Oh yeah, for I while I posted as Leroy Watkins as a pseudonym because I, well I don't really know why, but I did... Graham "Excuse me, but it's really late at night" Amsden ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot@aol.com Message-ID: <66dac1e4.35b207d4@aol.com> Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 10:50:58 EDT Subject: TMBG: Kit Kat Acoustic & Dr. Worm Ok, if anybody has any "underground" record stores in their area, they can find some of those odd CD's too (I found Vol. 2 of the Acoustic Break, but not Vol. 1, no TMBG, damn!)...so don't all you people without internet access give up hope (I myself am just scared to buy stuff off the internet (including internet access itself). So, I search around local places like flea markets & record stores (I have found many interesting things, TMBG has not been one of them, due to their really low popularity here)... I have not downloaded the Dr. Worm MP3 either. I can wait...I have been tempted, but I really do want to wait for the radio to play it or to hear it on the CD..... jason "who usually disagrees with Bongo, but not this time" glastetter ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35B24A65.67F1@fuse.net> Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 12:35:02 -0700 From: jays your one-paged dictionary Organization: dial-a-song! 718-387-6962, narrrrrrrrr! Subject: TMBG: interp: "destination moon" this interperation is so obvious that i wouldn't be surprised in the least if someone has already thought of it--but i've seen no discussion, so here goes. "destination moon" pertains to the inspiration needed to get up in the morning, and the subsequent attempt to achieve greatness through that inspiration. the narrator starts out in a hotel room-- "don't bother to call this room; there's nobody here who can pick up or has stuff they need to talk about, and we won't be now checking out and flying by rocket to the moon, etc." he doesn't want to be bothered, instead wishing to stay in the hotel and screw the chance at achieving something--"we won't be now checking out and flying." the entire verse--"by rocket to the moon; by airplane to the rocket; by taxi to the airport; by front door to the taxi; by throwing back the blanket, hanging down the leg"--traces greatness (landing on the moon) to one single, simple action ... leaving bed. "thank you for the card with the cartoon nurse but you see there's nothing wrong with me you think 'that's what you think that's what they all say,' before i blow you away" that part of the verse shows someone or something scorning the narrator, and spurning him into action--"you think 'that's what you think, that's what they all say,' before i blow you away." "soon the man who sweeps the room brings the secret telegram: commence official interplanetary exploration." the bridge is simple. the man who sweeps the room comes to tell the narrator that he must wake up and check out, forcing him to start his day and leave the lazy confines of his room--"commence official interplanetary exploration." the very ending of the song--the corruption of the verse (crawl to the rocket; by coughing at the airport)--says only that the narrator can overcome his many obstacles to reach his goals. that stanza still starts with "by rocket to the moon," and the story ends the same. if any part of this needs clarification, just say the word. peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jay. -- jayhc, the spawn of steve vai and julian bream. e-mail: sirjamez@fuse.net, phonebook@tmbg.org aol im: SaturnChrd, PhoneBookJ irc: PhoneBook "and sadly the cross-eyed bear's been put to sleep behind the stairs, and his shoes are laced with irony." --tmbg "I'm very sorry, but my guitar IS tired." --steve howe -- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980719193340.15746.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Jason F." Subject: Re: TMBG: interp: Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 12:33:40 PDT >"destination moon" pertains to the inspiration needed to get up in >the >morning, and the subsequent attempt to achieve greatness through >that >inspiration. I always thought this song was about a cripple who insists that he can do whatever he wants despite his condition, and even denies the severity of the condition itself. Obvious parts at the end with the sickness and the withered leg. Also the "Thank you for the card with the cartoon nurse, but you see there's nothing wrong with me" part. I guess once again it's open to multiple interps. --Jason-- "Hot Cha, where are you? Everybody's eyes are closed." -They Might Be Giants ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 15:09:25 -0600 Subject: TMBG: bootlegs etc. Message-ID: <19980719.152514.11598.10.TMBgirl@juno.com> hEY hEy! so with all this talk of bootlegs i would just like to remind everyone out there that even if you can't get an actual copy of each of these CD's (etc.) you can always go to one of several bootleg traders and ask them to dub shows for you even if you don't have anything to offer them in return. (Most people do 2:1 blank tape trades but there are those special people out there that will trade 1:1 with you. look around.) on the NON-TMBG related portion of this post... #1 i finally saw everest. i thought it was super cool. if you're an athlete i'd seriously recommend seeing it... i'm inspired. #2 has anyone seen "buffalo 66" yet? hmm... i dug christina ricci's last indie film (opposite of sex) but i dunno... if anyone's seen both of these let me know which is better! :) #3 There's a spoof about BF5's brick video in this month's MAD magazine. i know there's a big TMBG-BF5 fan overlap so there you go... #4 heh, i went to one of the most memorable concerts of my life last night... wow was that fun. #5 anyone heard any of the new SNZ stuff? take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html NEW SITE: http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html playing on KTCL while writting this: bad fish - sublime lump - PUSA _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Monotreme3@aol.com Message-ID: <8112b694.35b267e7@aol.com> Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 17:40:54 EDT Subject: Non-TMBG: Buffalo 66, Christina Ricci In a message dated 7/19/98 5:33:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tmbgirl@juno.com writes: << #2 has anyone seen "buffalo 66" yet? hmm... i dug christina ricci's last indie film (opposite of sex) but i dunno... if anyone's seen both of these let me know which is better! :) >> I saw The Opposite of Sex last weekend and they played a preview for Buffalo 66 right before it. It was awful. The preview I mean. It had this really screechy, bad, horrible music in the background, and little bits and pieces and montage sequences from the movie. It lasted for the whole duration of the song (about 2 and half minutes) and showed absolutely nothing of what the movie might have been about. I have an idea what it's about because of articles I've read, but if the preview was so bad, I'm extremely scepticle about the movie. The Opposite of Sex rocked, though. It was definitely one of the best movies I've seen in a while. Three thumbs up! -Carey ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35B2817C.B3D0C5C0@softhome.net> Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 18:30:04 -0500 From: melissa Subject: Re: TMBG:live in NYC i have it and wont give it up, but if you would like a copy of it, id be glad to make you one [cd copy, not cassette]. youd have to pay me what the cd costs [$3] and however much it costs to send it, but thats it. anyway, its just an offer, dont metion it to the feds. melissa ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 18:13:58 -0600 (MDT) From: Cyto Subject: Re: TMBG: interp: "destination moon" Message-ID: On Sun, 19 Jul 1998, jays your one-paged dictionary wrote: > "don't bother to call this room; > there's nobody here who can pick up > or has stuff they need to talk about, > and we won't be now checking out and flying > by rocket to the moon, etc." > > he doesn't want to be bothered, instead wishing to stay in the hotel and > screw the chance at achieving something--"we won't be now checking out The only problem I see with this interp is that the line is "and *who* won't be now checking out and flying" Sorry to burst your bubble, but that brings on an entirely different meaning to the song. My two mint condition 1943 zinc pennies worth... ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35B2B909.56D2@fuse.net> Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 20:27:05 -0700 From: jays your one-paged dictionary Organization: dial-a-song! 718-387-6962, narrrrrrrrr! Subject: Re: TMBG: interp: "destination moon" Cyto wrote: > > > "don't bother to call this room; > > there's nobody here who can pick up > > or has stuff they need to talk about, > > and we won't be now checking out and flying > > by rocket to the moon, etc." > > The only problem I see with this interp is that the line is "and *who* > won't be now checking out and flying" Sorry to burst your bubble, but > that brings on an entirely different meaning to the song. > > My two mint condition 1943 zinc pennies worth... does it? the change in that line could mean only that other people might expect the narrator to stay in bed and achieve nothing, when he really is going to try. see: my explanation of the "thank you for the card with the cartoon nurse" stanza. still, i can swear i hear "we" in lieu of "who," but i'm often wrong. peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jay. -- jayhc--always accurate, constant, and intense. e-mail: sirjamez@fuse.net, phonebook@tmbg.org aol im: SaturnChrd, PhoneBookJ irc: PhoneBook "and sadly the cross-eyed bear's been put to sleep behind the stairs, and his shoes are laced with irony." --tmbg "Hey, some people take drugs and some people like to have sex all day, I like to watch my bees as I make music, so what." --steve vai -- ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 22:05:26 -0400 (EDT) From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: bootlegs etc. >#5 anyone heard any of the new SNZ stuff? Someone told me there was a clip of their new song on the Mammoth homepage, but I haven't actually gotten around to checking it out yet... Kirsten the Lazy One -- [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] "And she said losing love is like a window in your heart Everybody sees you're blown apart..." - Paul Simon "Graceland" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980720023142.3091.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: Re: TMBG: interp: Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 19:31:41 PDT Um, I believe that "Destnation Moon" should be taken literaly, and that it really IS about an astronaught who is going to the moon. On a personal note, I went to a special laser-light, up-all-night-bowlerama that had a DJ, and I remembered that I had the John Henry CD in the car. So I went and grabed the CD before they started charging people $5 for re-entrence, and requested he play "Destination Moon", and it turned out to be one of the few songs people actually cheered for. After the song was over, I asked for my CD back, and the DJ informed me people had since then requested he play more of my CD. So I got it back when they closed. I'll tell you, I really enjoyed myself!!! He said he rarely sees a single CD requested so many times. He told my people the people wanted him to play "that CD with the 'moon song'". He said that's what some people refered to it as. I wonder if I draged more people into fandom... Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com "He wants to knock your house down... And he can't, because you're lying in the way of his bulldozer... I think we can come to some arrangement." --Ford Prefect, "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199807200308.LAA22997@vector.wantree.com.au> From: "Carla Stagles" Subject: Re: TMBG: interp: Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 11:07:59 +0800 > >"destination moon" pertains to the inspiration needed to get up in >the > >morning, and the subsequent attempt to achieve greatness through >that > >inspiration. > > I always thought this song was about a cripple who insists that he can > do whatever he wants despite his condition, and even denies the severity > of the condition itself. i really have to agree with Jason here... this song just DRIPS with denial. it seems to involve a subject who is determined to do something absolutely spectacular and despite all the signs to the contrary. i get the sense that this guy probably won't be making it to the moon because i doubt he'd be getting all the sympathy calls and cards if he WAS some big shot over coming all odds and making it to the moon. The way the narrative unravels at the end to reveal his "withered leg" also suggests that this factor is significant, like the punch line, the revelation. i think this is another example of a TMBG song about a mentally disturbed persona which is riddled with irony. but about some TMBG songs and their apparent meaning's... i am a follower of the Perth music scene which, before you scoff, isn't so archaic or kangaroo orientated as some of you might assume. I have been involved in the penning of many-a-tune and SOMETIMES people just write things because they sound nice. Sometimes they are just after a rhyme or a nice sounding line just COMES to them and in it goes. i won't deny that TMBG have very rich, complex lyrics, but unless they sent out a press release which says "every frikkin' WORD is a GEM! they ALL mean something!!" i would hazard a guess some of them sounded nice first and got their meaning's later. think i am nuts? there's prolly a news group dedicated to that as well ;) that's just something that has played on my mind for a while. if i am wrong, please, for gough sakes tell me so i can get some sleep ;) carla "by rocket to the moon" ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980720033134.11044.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Sarah faye" Subject: TMBG: Sarah's Stupid Question of the Undetermined Time Period Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 20:31:33 PDT ok, yesterday I ordered something from tmbg.com....the thing is that I have no credit card so I had to pay by check.....now, are they set up like amazon.com and CdNow where you have to send your check in and then they send you the thing you ordered, or will they send it and then bill me? If I have to send the check first.....I want to send it as soon as possible and get my hot little hands on that t-shirt....:) Sarah faye ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 23:47:09 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: interp: Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 20-Jul-98 Re: TMBG: interp: by "Carla Stagles"@wantree. > i really have to agree with Jason here... this song just DRIPS with denial. > it seems to involve a subject who is determined to do something absolutely > spectacular and despite all the signs to the contrary. i get the sense that > this guy probably won't be making it to the moon because i doubt he'd be > getting all the sympathy calls and cards if he WAS some big shot over > coming all odds and making it to the moon. The way the narrative unravels > at the end to reveal his "withered leg" also suggests that this factor is > significant, like the punch line, the revelation. to quote John Linnell: "This is a song about being really sick, but you think you're not." granted, like any other song, we're free to go totally crazy and keep reinterpreting it after what John said.... Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Everything sticks until it goes away, * This space inadvertently And the truth is we don't know anything." -TMBG * left blank. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #8-20 *****************************