Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #8-21 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 8, Number 21 Tuesday, 21 July 1998 Today's Topics: non-TMBG: Tapeheads Re: non-TMBG: Tapeheads Re: TMBG: interp: Re: Non TMBG: Atlas Shrugged and numbers -Reply Non-TMBG: Atlas Shrugged TMBG: Cartoon Planet commercial Re: Non TMBG: Atlas Shrugged and numbers -Reply Re: TMBG: interp: Non TMBG: Atlas Shrugged, objectivism Re: Non TMBG: Atlas Shrugged, objectivism Non TMBG: Atlas Shrugged, objectivism TMBG: TMB Cherry Popin' Daddies Re: TMBG: TMBCPD + some BNL TMBG: On Tour TV Show Re: TMBG: On Tour TV Show Re: TMBG: On Tour TV Show TMBG: Total Request Re: TMBG: Total Request Re: TMBG: Total Request Re: TMBG: Total Request TMBG: my death from overdose of joy Re: TMBG: Total Request TMBG: TMBG AND VF! WOO! Re: TMBG: Cartoon Planet commercial NON-TMBG: The Video Comp. TMBG: Dr. Worm on MTV???? Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm on MTV???? Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm on MTV???? TMBG: A queston regarding Live in NYC... Re: TMBG: A queston regarding Live in NYC... Re: TMBG:STD promo for sale + more BNL +Sifl and Ollie Re: TMBG: A queston regarding Live in NYC... TMBG: Gen Con Convention?? Re: TMBG: interp, STD and Video Bootlegs TMBG:live in NY thingie TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y video Re: TMBG: TMB Cherry Popin' Daddies Re: TMBG: my death from overdose of joy,TMBG on Mtn Stage TMBG: non-tmbg:Broken Angel TMBG: It Might A Parody II TMBG: Parody Inc. TMBG: A disturbing Trend... Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Subject: non-TMBG: Tapeheads Message-ID: <19980719.044610.4687.6.winningh@juno.com> From: winningh@juno.com (Winningham S. Sarah) Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 04:40:54 EDT I'm not sure if anyone mentioned that Puppethead is in the movie Tapeheads, actually someone probably did, but I just saw this film for the first time and I cannot rest until I have shoverd it into everyone else's faces. It is worth it simply for the Roscoe's House of Chicken and Waffles rap. It is worth it for the part when a dimly seen Wierd Al slams a door on John Cusack. It is worth it for the Menudo gag Sarah "oh yeah, and I think its more fun to wait and hear Dr. Worm on STD too" Winningham _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: MsTanbul@aol.com Message-ID: <484b0473.35b3097c@aol.com> Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 05:10:19 EDT Subject: Re: non-TMBG: Tapeheads John Cusack... Tim Robbins... Weird Al.... directed by Mike Nesmith. Winning Combination!!!! I love that movie. I must OWN that movie. -Marianne (the signatureless one) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199807200952.RAA23801@vector.wantree.com.au> From: "Carla Stagles" Subject: Re: TMBG: interp: Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 17:52:32 +0800 ---------- > From: Lawrence P Solomon > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > Subject: Re: TMBG: interp: > > i really have to agree with Jason here... this song just DRIPS with denial. > to quote John Linnell: > "This is a song about being really sick, but you think you're not." oh my god! you mean i wasn't nuts!? i actually cottoned on to what the great johns were saying? VIVE LIFE! ;) heeheheh carla "a famous person wears the same sized water skis as me" ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 13:51:05 +0000 Subject: Re: Non TMBG: Atlas Shrugged and numbers -Reply OK so now I now know it's a book and it's difficult to get all the way - but can someone tell me (us?) a little bit more about it i.e author, when written, publisher, summary of 'story' (if there is one) etc. etc. Sorry to push the point and/or sound really stupid.......................... Thanks Richard >>> "idiotnot@visi.net" 18/July/1998 09:53am >>> :>By the way what is 'Atlas Shrugged' that can't be read straight :>through. :>And what are those numbers 01 13212108 0921etc. etc. all about? :>Richard (who feels like the two of clubs at the moment) : :As the legend goes, of all the people I know (in little ol' Sarasota :County, Florida) no one has made it all the way through Atlas Shrugged :(1084 pages long). But I'll be the first in Venice to do it this summer ::) Atlas Shrugged...all the way through? You've got to be kidding. It took me nearly two weeks to finish it the first time I read it. I finished The Fountainhead in a little under three days. For those of you who haven't read it, do it, now! As influential books go, this is probably one of the best. It will definitely make you think, if nothing else. Jack Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net bluedawg@tmbg.org "Someday, somebody else besides me will call me by my stage name."--Doctor Worm http://www.tmbg.org/~bluedawg/ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 08:28:13 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Non-TMBG: Atlas Shrugged Message-ID: On Mon, 20 Jul 1998 rhilton@bitc.org.uk wrote: > OK so now I now know it's a book and it's difficult to get all the way - but > can someone tell me (us?) a little bit more about it i.e author, when > written, publisher, summary of 'story' (if there is one) etc. etc. Sorry to > push the point and/or sound really stupid.......................... i haven't ever read atlas shrugged, but i know it's by the american author ayn rand, and i think it was written during the 1930's... --jim kuemmerle, whose only ayn rand experience was "anthem"... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Cartoon Planet commercial Message-ID: <19980720.110218.8991.0.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 11:03:18 EDT I was watching a show that I taped off of Cartoon Network a few months ago, and there was this commercial for Cartoon Planet. There's nothing spectacular about the commercial, it's the music in the background: I'll be damned if this isn't the beginning of No One Knows My Plan. The two people that I've showed it to agree with me, but does any one else out there know what I'm talking about? Derek "Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age" _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199807201524.LAA23341@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 10:24:21 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: Non TMBG: Atlas Shrugged and numbers -Reply At 01:51 PM 7/20/98 +0000, you wrote: >OK so now I now know it's a book and it's difficult to get all the way - but >can someone tell me (us?) a little bit more about it i.e author, when >written, publisher, summary of 'story' (if there is one) etc. etc. Sorry to >push the point and/or sound really stupid.......................... >Thanks >Richard As someone else said, it was written by Ayn Rand a little earlier than the mid-20th century. She was the creator of objectivist philosophy, which I will rashly and incompletely summarize by saying that it essentially urges people to place value upon concrete objects and achievements, to respect hard work and determination etc. This is an awful summary, but it's been a while since I've read the book. Also, the objectivist philosophy is not only laid out in her fictional novels (which themselves still come across as philosophical dialogues due to long speeches explaining the philosophy) but she also wrote some real philosophical treatises that explain the nitty gritty of the philosophy. Hope this helps a little. I could be more informative if I dug up some of her books from around my apartment, but alas, apathy has overcome me. Harf, Mitch "I had a linguistics professor who said that it's man's ability to use language that makes him the dominant species on the planet. That may be. But I think there's one other thing that separates us from animals. We aren't afraid of vacuum cleaners." Support the Harf Project: All your questions answered, all your problems solved: ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 11:34:28 -0400 (EDT) From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: interp: >> to quote John Linnell: >> "This is a song about being really sick, but you think you're not." > >oh my god! you mean i wasn't nuts!? i actually cottoned on to what the >great johns were saying? Since I started working at the Masonic Home, this HUGE nursing home here in Alma, I've come to understand this song a little better, I think... Some of the people on the second floor just don't know where they are, and talk about trying to do things you're not capable of.. This one lady used to be a nurse, so she's always trying to jump in and help. Unfortunately, her days of being able to jump anywhere are long since past.. Kirsten -- [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] "And she said losing love is like a window in your heart Everybody sees you're blown apart..." - Paul Simon "Graceland" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 10:09:36 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Non TMBG: Atlas Shrugged, objectivism Message-ID: On Mon, 20 Jul 1998, Mitchell Harding wrote: > As someone else said, it was written by Ayn Rand a little earlier than the > mid-20th century. She was the creator of objectivist philosophy, which I > will rashly and incompletely summarize by saying that it essentially urges > people to place value upon concrete objects and achievements, to respect > hard work and determination etc. This is an awful summary, but it's been a > while since I've read the book. ah, right! i meant to mention objectivism in my earlier post, but i couldn't remember what it was called. the way i understand objectivism, (and it *has* been a while) it's a laissez-faire approach to *everything*, not just economics. its basic conclusion is that everyone would be a whole lot better off if we all acted selfishly. "but wait," you say, "doesn't that mean people would be going around robbing people and just doing whatever the hell they want?" "not really," she'd say, "because if you did, then everyone else would haul you off and lock you up because it's in *their* best interest to not have you looting their houses." it makes a certain degree of sense to me, but the thing as a whole seems to me to miss some sense of the big picture, and i can't quite put my finger on where or how... --jim kuemmerle, who's reminded of the glade sowards lyric "sometimes i'm inclined to believe him, but he seems to miss the point entirely"... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199807201614.MAA25722@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 11:14:37 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: Non TMBG: Atlas Shrugged, objectivism >ah, right! i meant to mention objectivism in my earlier post, but i >couldn't remember what it was called. the way i understand objectivism, >(and it *has* been a while) it's a laissez-faire approach to *everything*, >not just economics. its basic conclusion is that everyone would be a >whole lot better off if we all acted selfishly. "but wait," you say, >"doesn't that mean people would be going around robbing people and just >doing whatever the hell they want?" "not really," she'd say, "because if >you did, then everyone else would haul you off and lock you up because >it's in *their* best interest to not have you looting their houses." That, of course, is what I meant to say, so why don't we just assume that I had said all of this so I can save some face. :) Where will TMBG be in 10 years? Harf, Mitch Harding "I had a linguistics professor who said that it's man's ability to use language that makes him the dominant species on the planet. That may be. But I think there's one other thing that separates us from animals. We aren't afraid of vacuum cleaners." Support the Harf Project: All your questions answered, all your problems solved: ------------------------------ From: mjames@khserver.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9807201607.AA20121@khserver.loyola.edu> Subject: Non TMBG: Atlas Shrugged, objectivism Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 12:07:04 -0400 (EDT) > On Mon, 20 Jul 1998, Mitchell Harding wrote: > > > As someone else said, it was written by Ayn Rand a little earlier than the > > mid-20th century. She was the creator of objectivist philosophy, which I > > will rashly and incompletely summarize by saying that it essentially urges > > people to place value upon concrete objects and achievements, to respect > > hard work and determination etc. This is an awful summary, but it's been a > > while since I've read the book. > > ah, right! i meant to mention objectivism in my earlier post, but i > couldn't remember what it was called. the way i understand objectivism, > (and it *has* been a while) it's a laissez-faire approach to *everything*, > not just economics. its basic conclusion is that everyone would be a > whole lot better off if we all acted selfishly. "but wait," you say, > "doesn't that mean people would be going around robbing people and just > doing whatever the hell they want?" "not really," she'd say, "because if > you did, then everyone else would haul you off and lock you up because > it's in *their* best interest to not have you looting their houses." it > makes a certain degree of sense to me, but the thing as a whole seems to > me to miss some sense of the big picture, and i can't quite put my finger > on where or how... This sounds like something Hobbes wrote about in his book, The Leviathan. Rings a bell from a college philosophy course I once took... -Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980720162516.23022.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: TMBG: TMB Cherry Popin' Daddies Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 09:25:04 PDT Alright you Cherry Popin' Daddies fans, get out your Zoot Suit Riot CD and fast forward to 1:35 into Ding-Dong Daddy of the D-Car Line and tell me if that doesn't sound like the Rythm Section Want Ad accordian solo!!!!!! Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com "You don't want me, at least not in that way. You don't want me, and that drives my crazy." --Cherry Popin' Daddies, "When I Change Your Mind" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 13:04:17 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBCPD + some BNL Message-ID: <19980720.130839.6254.0.Mr.Train@juno.com> On Mon, 20 Jul 1998 09:25:04 PDT "Josh Buckland" writes: >Alright you Cherry Popin' Daddies fans, get out your Zoot Suit Riot CD >and fast forward to 1:35 into Ding-Dong Daddy of the D-Car Line and >tell me if that doesn't sound like the Rythm Section Want Ad accordian >solo!!!!!! <> That sounds VERY similar to the RSWA solo... probably because both TMBG and CPD's solos are a variation of the same song.. I don't remember exactly... but, I think it was called PowerHouse or Roadhouse... or something with house in it... can anyone help? Also, after watching my weekly installment of House of Common's questions for the Prime Minister (does anyone else love watching this? Old Brits insulting eachother in the most polite way they can? Although that Conservitive Party leader [Will Hauge] does get a little harsh sometimes... but I digress) I caught Barenaked Ladies "One Week" video and at the end I noticed a little jumping around a la John and John? Anyone else notice the pogoig at the end of the video? Think it's a tribute? or just a really great dance? Tim, he's topfueled and he's bad Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: Dr. Worm Last CD purchase: the Guitar (single) Favorite mainstream song: One Week - BNL _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: On Tour TV Show Message-ID: <19980720.141907.8991.0.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 14:20:22 EDT Has anyone seen the show "On Tour" on WMHT? It's a show that has live performances and interviews with different bands (my favorite episode was the one starring Devo). Anyway, I think we should find some way to contact this show and ask them to have an episode starring our favorite Johns. Sound good to anyone else? Derek "Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age" _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980720143052.006a2548@130.127.28.14> Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 14:30:52 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: On Tour TV Show Yup, On Tour is on most PBS stations around the country... They have a website at http://www.pbs.org/ontour/ Anyway, you can e-mail them at ontour@pbs.org...I'm not sure when the next season kicks in...they've been airing the same episodes for quite a while now. -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980720182229.6494.rocketmail@web1.rocketmail.com> Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 11:22:29 -0700 (PDT) From: Danielle Gaither Subject: Re: TMBG: On Tour TV Show ---Derek A Klein wrote: > > Has anyone seen the show "On Tour" on WMHT? It's a show that has live > performances and interviews with different bands (my favorite episode was > the one starring Devo). Anyway, I think we should find some way to > contact this show and ask them to have an episode starring our favorite > Johns. Sound good to anyone else? Sounds great. But what's WMHT? Inspector Over the Mine _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Total Request Message-ID: <19980720.151037.8991.1.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 15:11:46 EDT Another idea just occurred to me: we pick a day, and on that day everyone on this list requests the same video by e-mail, calling, whatever (anyone know if a Dr. Worm video is being made?). Hopefully if we give enough requests, Mtv will cave and play one of Their videos. Well, the idea is out there, anyone want to work with it? Derek "Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age" _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 14:24:33 -0500 From: The Pope Subject: Re: TMBG: Total Request >Another idea just occurred to me: we pick a day, and on that day everyone >on this list requests the same video by e-mail, calling, whatever (anyone >know if a Dr. Worm video is being made?). Hopefully if we give enough >requests, Mtv will cave and play one of Their videos. Well, the idea is >out there, anyone want to work with it? Well, we got Linnell to be No. 9 on "People's Online 50 Most Beautiful List." I don't see why we couldn't do something like this if we all come together on it. If they got a lot of Requests then maybe it'll make the "Total Request" hour thing. That would be cool. Jason "I'm all for it" Arnold ------------------------------ From: DrWormX@aol.com Message-ID: <3a8df8df.35b3a315@aol.com> Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 16:05:40 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Total Request I remember we were going to try this a few months ago, but no one really took charge....huh... Matt--blame it on pez addiction Alone And Bored on a thirtieth-century night Will I see you on The Price Is Right? Will I cry? Will I smile? As you run down the aisle? ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Total Request Message-ID: <19980720.164458.8991.0.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 16:46:14 EDT >I remember we were going to try this a few months ago, but no one really took >charge....huh... Okay, does anybody know an e-mail address for Total Request? I just need that and we can take it from there. Derek "Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age" _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 17:03:35 -0400 (EDT) From: Jish Subject: TMBG: my death from overdose of joy Message-ID: http://www.pollstar.com/tour/v.cgi?Venue="Mountain+Lair+Plaza,+Morgantown,+WV" go...look... Jish ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980720171238.006a3e28@130.127.28.14> Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 17:12:38 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Total Request At 04:46 PM 7/20/98 EDT, Derek A Klein wrote: > >Okay, does anybody know an e-mail address for Total Request? I just need >that and we can take it from there. I think it's totalrequest@mtv.com, but it's not very feasible. The top videos get thousands of requests a night, and we only have a few hundred people on the list... -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 17:29:15 -0400 (EDT) From: Jish Subject: TMBG: TMBG AND VF! WOO! Message-ID: This may have been too vague before...but on 8/25/98 at the Mountain Lair Plaza in Morgantown...apparantly TMBG and VF are playing!!! Jish On Mon, 20 Jul 1998, Jish wrote: > http://www.pollstar.com/tour/v.cgi?Venue="Mountain+Lair+Plaza,+Morgantown,+WV" > > go...look... > > Jish > > > ------------------------------ From: Plympton@aol.com Message-ID: <37a9be7c.35b3bc75@aol.com> Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 17:53:56 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Cartoon Planet commercial captainmarvel2@juno.com wrote: > I was watching a show that I taped off of Cartoon Network a few months > ago, and there was this commercial for Cartoon Planet. There's nothing > spectacular about the commercial, it's the music in the background: I'll > be damned if this isn't the beginning of No One Knows My Plan. The two > people that I've showed it to agree with me, but does any one else out > there know what I'm talking about? Yes, Cartoon Planet used to use No one knows my plan as its theme song, but sadly, they stopped using it. Could have been a rights issue... ~sarah, who finally came back to the group from a 2 year hiatus (I doubt anyone remembers me, since I used to post from freenet) ::sigh:: OT: does anyone remember shep? (ryan shepard, i think, from rochester) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35B3CF23.24F0@stlnet.com> Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 17:13:49 -0600 From: Lynne Subject: NON-TMBG: The Video Comp. Hey. Can someone point me towards Russ Josephson's page and his email address. I seem to have lost it, and now that I have a paycheck coming I can order all three movies. Thanks. Chris chrisl@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980720224407.24504.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: TMBG: Dr. Worm on MTV???? Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 15:44:07 PDT Um, I've nothing against Them (of course! If I did, I wouldn't be on the list!!), but I REALLY don't think that TMBG is really the style of music that MTV would play. I mean, would you really put Them with rap??? Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com "He wants to knock your house down... And he can't, because you're lying in the way of his bulldozer... I think we can come to some arrangement." --Ford Prefect, "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: Jeremy Skrenes Subject: Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm on MTV???? Message-ID: Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 17:53:44 -0400 (EDT) how about 120 or buzz clips. do they still do buzz clips? it's been awhile since i watched mtv for more than the time it takes to change the channel. i think i last watched mtv just before lewis largent left 120 and was replaced by pinfeld. a wise decision, but the music on 120 took a turn for the worse. anyway, point is there's still room for tmbg SOMEWHERE on mtv. j * ----------------------------------------- Jeremy Skrenes Email: Jeremy.Skrenes@valpo.edu Valparaiso University ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: <596c26be.35b3ce0b@aol.com> Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 19:08:57 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm on MTV???? There's an _excellent_ chance that "Dr. Worm" will pop up on 120 Minutes. They've recently debuted the videos for "Song for the Dumped" by Ben Folds Five (and directed by Flans, uncredited, grrr) and "One Week" by Barenaked Ladies, both cool videos. As I posted on the newsgroup, MTV has a 120 Minutes area where they post the videos that will debut that week, and I'll be checking faithfully from now on so that I can alert everyone when the video is scheduled to debut, and I'm sure other AOL'ers will do the same (right Jordan and Sarah ?)!!! Kay ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35B3DD18.2860@chapman.edu> Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 17:13:12 -0700 From: Kat Hayes Organization: Chapman Subject: TMBG: A queston regarding Live in NYC... Hey heres a question for those of you with KNOWLEDGE...is there a differnt Live in NYC than the one that comes with the two CD of John Henrt? It has Don't Lets Start, Ana NG, Particle Man, The Statue Got Me high, Birdhouse in Your Soul, and Twistin', on it....Is this the same one? --Kat ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 19:30:49 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: A queston regarding Live in NYC... >Hey heres a question for those of you with KNOWLEDGE...is there a >differnt Live in NYC than the one that comes with the two CD of John >Henrt? It has Don't Lets Start, Ana NG, Particle Man, The Statue Got >Me high, Birdhouse in Your Soul, and Twistin', on it....Is this the >same one? Yes indeed there is a different Live in NYC. The one that comes with John Henry is a smaller CD that has excerpts from the complete Live in NYC CD. The John Henry one is relatively easy to find, compared to the complete Live in NYC. Harf, Mitch "I had a linguistics professor who said that it's man's ability to use language that makes him the dominant species on the planet. That may be. But I think there's one other thing that separates us from animals. We aren't afraid of vacuum cleaners." Support the Harf Project: All your questions answered, all your problems solved: ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 20:40:12 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG:STD promo for sale + more BNL +Sifl and Ollie Message-ID: <19980720.204013.4798.0.Mr.Train@juno.com> On Mon, 20 Jul 1998 19:08:57 EDT Kaylum@aol.com writes: >There's an _excellent_ chance that "Dr. Worm" will pop up on 120 >Minutes. They've recently debuted the videos for "Song for the Dumped" by Ben >Folds Five (and directed by Flans, uncredited, grrr) and "One Week" by >Barenaked Ladies, both cool videos. As I posted on the newsgroup, MTV has a 120 <> First my part about BNL since I don't think anyone read it before: Does anyone think the pogoing that BNL does at the end of the (IMO disappointing) One Week video is a tribute to our Johns? They are often mentioned in the same sentences together on this list... hmmm... it's probably as I said before, just a really good dance... the pogo that is... Now for the important stuff... www.vinylvendors.com has limited numbers of promo issues of Severe Tire Damage for sale... here is ALL of the info from there site: Item No:235288 -- THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS Price: $15 Title:Severe Tire Damage 17 tracks Description:Full Length CD -- Restless 129 / promo issue / back title ps / '98 Song Titles:Doctor Worm / Severe Tire Damage Theme / They Got Lost / Why Does the Shine? / Birdhouse In Your Soul / She's An Angel / XTC Vs Adam Ant / Istanbul / Ana Ng / First Kiss / Spider / Particle Man / She's Actual Size / S-E-X-X-Y / Meet James Ensor / Till My Head Falls Off / About Me Here is the rub: with Vinyl Vendors it may be well after August 11th until you get your promotional copy of Severe Tire Damage... so I wouldn't order it in place of a commercial copy... but I thought the list might like the info... I also want to brag because I found the I Palindrome I single today... Woohoo Also, to return to MTV for a sec... does anyone else think Sifl and Ollie is a great show... I know the premise seems dumb... but these guys are hilarious! They know how to write and the songs at the end of each show are great as well! I loved their "New Wave" song! does anyone else wanna comment on this show? Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: Dr. Worm Last CD purchase: The Guitar (single) Favorite mainstream song: One Week - BNL _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980720211907.006a3f70@130.127.28.14> Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 21:19:07 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: A queston regarding Live in NYC... Yup, the longer version has 26 tracks (18 actual songs, I think; I'm too lazy to reach over and count). -Adam At 05:13 PM 7/20/98 -0700, Kat Hayes wrote: >Hey heres a question for those of you with KNOWLEDGE...is there a >differnt Live in NYC than the one that comes with the two CD of John >Henrt? It has Don't Lets Start, Ana NG, Particle Man, The Statue Got >Me high, Birdhouse in Your Soul, and Twistin', on it....Is this the >same one? >--Kat > > -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: SuperD149@aol.com Message-ID: <1ef4677c.35b3edb4@aol.com> Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 21:24:03 EDT Subject: TMBG: Gen Con Convention?? Hello all. I was woundering if someone could help me. Does anyone know what is the deal with this Gen Con? Convention?? I saw it listed on the tour dates. If someone could please e-mail me back if they know something. thanks david ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980721014555.24433.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Jason F." Subject: Re: TMBG: interp, STD and Video Bootlegs Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 18:45:55 PDT >oh my god! you mean i wasn't nuts!? i actually cottoned on to what the >great johns were saying? > >VIVE LIFE! ;) heeheheh > >carla Yeah! Me too! All right! (high-fives Carla) Umm....anyway, I was surprised to see the second track on the promo listed as "Severe Tire Damage Theme" as opposed to just Severe Tire Damage. Anyone know what this song is all about yet? Is it a "real" song or just a little ditty like Theme From Flood? By the way, I recently watched the British Flood Promo and couldn't stop laughing at the part where the Johns are naming the songs. Anyone who doesn't have the video bootlegs is really missing some great stuff! --Jason-- "Hot Cha, where are you? Everybody's eyes are closed." -They Might Be Giants ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35B40291.AFE9443B@softhome.net> Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 21:53:07 -0500 From: melissa Subject: TMBG:live in NY thingie ok ok ok, i didnt know this thing was gunna turn out to be a big deal, but hey, thats what i get...not that i mind or anything. im going to TRY to get a copy out to everyone who wants one without losing half the addresses and mailing the cds to singapore, but i need your help [insert cheesy telthon music here]! everyone who wants one has to send me their address, so far ive got about 15 people, so be aware that this might take awhile... now the money part...id really appreciate $10 for this, but if your as poor as i am, you can just send whatever covers the postage and cd cost. ill write down a list of everyone who wants one on my forehead so i dont forget. sees late nights full of burning cds in her future melissa ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y video Message-ID: <19980720.220526.11887.0.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 22:06:34 EDT Has there been an actual video made for S-E-X-X-Y? If so, I say we request that. Derek "Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age" _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 22:16:09 -0400 (EDT) From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: TMB Cherry Popin' Daddies > >Alright you Cherry Popin' Daddies fans, get out your Zoot Suit Riot CD >and fast forward to 1:35 into Ding-Dong Daddy of the D-Car Line and tell >me if that doesn't sound like the Rythm Section Want Ad accordian >solo!!!!!! That it does, 'cause they're both interpolated (is that the right word? we've discussed this before) from "Powerhouse" by some guy whose name I can't remember.. Kirsten (wondering if she's made any sense at all) -- [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] "And she said losing love is like a window in your heart Everybody sees you're blown apart..." - Paul Simon "Graceland" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35B40822.5860@rica.net> Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 23:16:50 -0400 From: Joey Groah Subject: Re: TMBG: my death from overdose of joy,TMBG on Mtn Stage Jish wrote: > > http://www.pollstar.com/tour/v.cgi?Venue="Mountain+Lair+Plaza,+Morgantown,+WV" > > go...look... > Cool. Is this the place where Mountain Stage is produced? Will Giants be broadcast for all to hear, along with groups such as Flavor of the Moment and Backyard Chicken Band? Woo hoo! Joey, doin' the chicken dance ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980721031740.587.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg:Broken Angel Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 20:17:39 PDT For anyone who has seen Broken Angel starring (everyone's favorite captain) William Shatner, can you tell me if the Sgt. Pepper album cover was spray-painted on the alley-wall at the part where Bill Shatner's passin' out flyers??? Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com "He wants to knock your house down... And he can't, because you're lying in the way of his bulldozer... I think we can come to some arrangement." --Ford Prefect, "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980721035312.9697.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: TMBG: It Might A Parody II Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 20:53:11 PDT Well, no one objected (replied, for that matter) to my last parody, so I thought I'd write another to spark up your responce level. "Destination Moon" parody Don't bother to bother me There's no one I know who gives a damn Or who even wants talk to you So please go away and let me be to go and Bang my head on the wall Har-der and harder and har-der and harder and harder, Harder, HARDER Then pick the broken plaster bits out of my head Kick you in the nuts Punch you in the face Dear God in heaven, what is wrong with me You think, "What a screwball" "What a nutty guy" Just know that YOU caused me to Bang my head on the wall Har-der and harder and har-der and harder and harder, Harder, HARDER Then pick the broken plaster bits out of my head Soon a man in a white coat brings a crazy-person net "Come on Josh, you're coming weather or not you 'preciate it" (Surfer music interlude) Kick you in the nuts Punch you in the face Dear God in heaven, what is wrong with me You think, "What a screwball" "What a nutty guy" Just know that YOU caused me to Bang my head on the wall Har-der and harder and har-der and harder and harder, Harder, HARDER Then pick the broken plaster bits out of my head Thank you!!! Thank you!!! And this time, don't just ask questions, actually TELL me what you think!!!! Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com "He wants to knock your house down... And he can't, because you're lying in the way of his bulldozer... I think we can come to some arrangement." --Ford Prefect, "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980721045023.13162.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: TMBG: Parody Inc. Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 21:50:22 PDT Well, the Dial-A-Song VA idea didn't work, but I've got another lame-brained idea. You name a TMBG song, and (If I know it. You see, I don't have ALL the albums yet.) I'll rack my brain to try to write a parody, just for you (so go find a man to fill my shoes.). Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com "He wants to knock your house down... And he can't, because you're lying in the way of his bulldozer... I think we can come to some arrangement." --Ford Prefect, "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980721051421.008bf7c4@cybnetonline.com> Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 00:14:21 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: TMBG: A disturbing Trend... Hey I'm starting a Thread! I've noticed a disturbing trend in the music industry lately, maybe you guys have noticed it too? All these bands are putting out albums, and these albums have singles. Have any of you noticed that the first single off of a lot of albums betrays what the album really is? Here I'll site some examples: TMBG - STD - Dr. Worm, Doc W completely betrays to the future listeners that this is a live album. BNL - STUNT - One Week. Most of the songs on stunt sound nothing like One Week. Smashmouth - FUSH YU MANG - Walking on the sun. You wouldn't guess from the first single that these guys are Ska. etc. etc. etc. I'm not complaining, I love all these albums (even the TMBG one I haven't heard) but the casual listeners I feel are being betrayed. LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #8-21 *****************************