Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #8-22 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 8, Number 22 Wednesday, 22 July 1998 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: TMB Cherry Popin' Daddies Re: TMBG: TMB Cherry Popin' Daddies Re: TMBG: A disturbing Trend... non-TMBG: SNZ TMBG: Record Stores in NYC TMBG: Re: TMBG as Film Directors Re: TMBG: TMB Cherry Popin' Daddies Re: TMBG: TMB Cherry Popin' Daddies TMBG: label? Re: TMBG: label? TMBG: TMBG Video Bootlegs Re: TMBG: Cartoon Planet commercial TMBG: Dr. Worm on M2 maybe.... NON TMBG: Monopuff in the mall? Re: TMBG: Parody Inc. TMBG: label? Re: TMBG: A disturbing Trend... Re: TMBG: TMB Cherry Popin' Daddies Re: TMBG: Parody Inc. TMBG: Please respond to my parody Re: TMBG: Parody Inc. Re: TMBG: Please respond to my parody Re: non-TMBG: SNZ TMBG: Soul Coughing (yes, it has much to do with TMBG) TMBG: I've got something ELSE you want. TMBG: parody exceptions TMBG: Who's in charge here??? Re: TMBG: Who's in charge here??? TMBG: Tmbg: Dr.Worm Video Re: TMBG: Tmbg: Dr.Worm Video non-TMBG: The Leffel Fund Re: TMBG: Tmbg: Dr.Worm Video TMBG: Soul Coughing vs. Cherry Poppin' Daddys; A good day for radio Re: TMBG: TMB Cherry Popin' Daddies TMBG: Videos Re: non-TMBG: SNZ Re: Non-TMBG: Atlas Shrugged TMBG: Fw: Time Person of the Century Poll TMBG: Non-Tmbg: Let's tell off Hanson!!! Re: TMBG: A disturbing Trend... Re: TMBG: Non-Tmbg: Let's tell off Hanson!!! Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm on M2 maybe.... Re: non-TMBG: SNZ RE: TMBG: Record Stores in NYC Re: TMBG: Videos RE: non-TMBG: The Leffel Fund Re: TMBG: Videos Re: TMBG: Videos RE: non-TMBG: The Leffel Fund RE: TMBG: Record Stores in NYC TMBG: TMB Cherry Poppin' Daddies Re: TMBG: TMB Cherry Popin' Daddies Re: TMBG: Non-Tmbg: Let's tell off Hanson!!! Re: NON-TMBG: A good day for radio Re: TMBG: A disturbing Trend... Re: TMBG: Fw: Time Person of the Century Poll TMBG:Rosie e-mail Re: TMBG: Fw: Time Person of the Century Poll Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 23:53:28 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: TMB Cherry Popin' Daddies Message-ID: <19980720.235341.4462.3.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Josh Nielsen) You guys know who the Cherry Poppin' Daddies are??? Wow! I thought it was just an Oregon thing, being how they're from Eugene and play in Salem all the time. Josh Nielsen jnielsen69@juno.com http://www.angelfire.com/or/jnielsen/ http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Studio/4091 ICQ #1337243 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 02:14:25 -0500 (CDT) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: TMB Cherry Popin' Daddies Message-ID: > >Alright you Cherry Popin' Daddies fans, get out your Zoot Suit Riot CD > >and fast forward to 1:35 into Ding-Dong Daddy of the D-Car Line and tell > >me if that doesn't sound like the Rythm Section Want Ad accordian > >solo!!!!!! > > That it does, 'cause they're both interpolated (is that the right > word? we've discussed this before) from "Powerhouse" by some guy whose > name I can't remember.. Could we PLEASE get this into the FAQ or something? We just talked about this a month ago or so. Yes, the Cherry Poppin' Daddies song, the TMBG song, and many many other songs, "interpret" the song "Powerhouse." That song was originally done by one of the least-known, yet most covered, jazz composers of the twentieth century...Raymond Scott. His music has been used on Looney Tunes cartoons (or at the very least influenced them), along with the Ren and Stimpy music (again, at least influenced it). Everyone has heard Raymond Scott before...they just might not know it was him. If you turn them browsers on over to http://www.raymondscott.com/, y'all will see that there is a group of folks that are on the board of advisory to preserve Raymond Scott's music. Included in that group are Robert Moog (inventor of the moog synth), Andy Partridge (of XTC), David Harrington (of the Kronos Quartet, a group you just MUST hear), Leonard Maltin (that movie guy), and Henry Rollins (duh), among others. Also, if you go to that page, you will see a quote from the twin quazars themselves, "Raymond Scott's musical genius should not be overlooked." There are also quotes from the aforementioned folks, along with quotes from David J. (of Bauhaus, and that other band he was in afterward) and Bob Camp (of Ren and Stimpy fame). Another tidbit of how his music is so influential...the Cartoon Network has recently adopted "Powerhouse" (I really do wish that the media would try out some of his other music) as its theme song. So I'm sure in a couple of months someone will post saying "Hey, you know that Cartoon Network theme song sounds like the accordian solo in RSWA..." Heh...someone save this message and post it again when that post happens. Raymond Scott was an amazing man...making music that sort of crossed genres from pop into jazz into all sorts of other things. Like Brian Wilson, he experimented with the idea of making a machine that would create music automatically...a strange concept, but an interesting one. I've said it before, I'll say it again...you really should listen to some Raymond Scott. I'm sure that everyone here will like at least some of the stuff he's made...and there's a whole lot of it. According to the aforementioned web page, the Raymond Scott collection includes 2,719 discs, 602 open reel tapes, along with all sorts of sheet music, etc. If nothing else, by the digitally remastered version of his CD called Reckless Nights and Turkish Twilights, which Sony will put out sometime this year (hopefully). Damn it, listen to me. The Rev |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| | Reverend Bill Tatalovich | Home page: | | | http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/ | | wt3@cec.wustl.edu | feedback for toddlers e-zine: | | personnel@kwur.wustl.edu | http://www.poboxes.com/fft/ | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 02:32:17 -0500 (CDT) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: A disturbing Trend... Message-ID: On Tue, 21 Jul 1998, The Li'l Depressed Boy wrote: > Hey I'm starting a Thread! Congratulations. > Have any of you noticed that the first single off of a lot of albums betrays > what the album really is? > > Here I'll site some examples: > > TMBG - STD - Dr. Worm... > BNL - STUNT - One Week... > Smashmouth - FUSH YU MANG - Walking on the sun. You wouldn't guess from the > first single that these guys are Ska. I'm not going to touch the Smash Mouth thing, 'cuz I'm quite glad the damn ska thread is over with, and I'm not starting up a war about that one. Anyway, LDB is definitely right. Here's some more: Sugar Ray - FLOORED. "Fly" was a crappy pop song, conveniently hiding the fact that Sugar Ray is indeed a crappy metal band. REM - NEW ADVENTURES IN HI-FI. "E-Bow the Letter" was the single for the album, hiding the fact that NAIHF was quite a bit heavier (with "Bittersweet Me", "Binky the Doormat", etc.) Mighty Mighty Bosstones - LET'S FACE IT. "The Impression that I Get" was pretty light for them (even though LFI is much lighter for them), but they must have done something right, because they're huge now. Grant Lee Buffalo - JUBILEE. "Truly Truly" is quite possibly the worst track on the disc...althought the style is pretty much still there. Alana Davis - BLAME IT ON ME (??). "32 Flavors" was just wrong. A cover song as your single when you're a new artist? That's just wrong. I've refused to listen to her on the basis that she fucks with an Ani Difranco song, and gets huge because of it. Okay, I'll stop now. But the list goes on....believe you me. The Rev |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| | Reverend Bill Tatalovich | Home page: | | | http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/ | | wt3@cec.wustl.edu | feedback for toddlers e-zine: | | personnel@kwur.wustl.edu | http://www.poboxes.com/fft/ | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 02:48:19 -0500 (CDT) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: non-TMBG: SNZ Message-ID: Hey all-- Third post of the day...yeah. In any event, someone posted about the Squirrel Nut Zippers situation on new material, etc. The radio station I work at still has not gotten any promos, but apparently a bunch of places have. According to an ad in Hits Magazine (an awful, awful, pretentious music industry rag), the new SNZ single is "Suits Are Picking Up the Bill" (which is really amusing, if you think about it), and it's been added at over 35 stations around the country. So I'm sure that someone on this list has heard it. Also, the band will be appearing on the Tonight Show the week that the album is released (street date is 8/4), and there is a feature sometime soon in Vanity Fair (?!?!?) magazine. So there you go. The Rev |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| | Reverend Bill Tatalovich | Home page: | | | http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/ | | wt3@cec.wustl.edu | feedback for toddlers e-zine: | | personnel@kwur.wustl.edu | http://www.poboxes.com/fft/ | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35B44FEA.87FC7EB1@earthlink.net> Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 01:23:07 -0700 From: KenL Subject: TMBG: Record Stores in NYC Hey folks with good musical taste, I'll be in NYC from July 29th thru August 1st and I'm looking to do some record shopping. As I have not been to NYC in a few years, I was wondering if anyone out there might know some of the good new/used record stores. I only have very vague memories of going to Second Coming and Golden Disc in some past lifetime. Do they still exist? Are they lame? Anyway... Anyone in the know please e-mail me privately by thursday night. Thanks, KL ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 14:03:44 +0000 Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG as Film Directors I've seen various references to film and video directing done by Flans. Is there a definitive (?spelling?) ist of what he's directed anywhere. Do we have any idea how he got into directing - favour for a friend, money, realised he could do it better etc.? Thanks Richard (enjoying Summer in a wet and windy central London office) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19980721092114.007bd770@mailin.icdc.com> Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 09:21:14 -0400 From: "J. L. Moquin" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMB Cherry Popin' Daddies Bill Tatalovich wrote: >Some other people wrote: >> >Alright you Cherry Popin' Daddies fans, get out your Zoot Suit Riot CD >> >and fast forward to 1:35 into Ding-Dong Daddy of the D-Car Line and tell >> >me if that doesn't sound like the Rythm Section Want Ad accordian >> >solo!!!!!! >> >> That it does, 'cause they're both interpolated (is that the right >> word? we've discussed this before) from "Powerhouse" by some guy whose >> name I can't remember.. > >Could we PLEASE get this into the FAQ or something? We just talked about >this a month ago or so. Yes, the Cherry Poppin' Daddies song, the TMBG >song, and many many other songs, "interpret" the song "Powerhouse." That >song was originally done by one of the least-known, yet most covered, jazz >composers of the twentieth century...Raymond Scott. His music has been >used on Looney Tunes cartoons (or at the very least influenced them), [snip] This is what boggles me about this particular Frequently Asked Question. Doesn't anybody watch Bugs Bunny anymore, fercryinoutloud??? The first time I hear RSWA, I recognized immediately that that accordian break was not TMBG's composition, because I'd heard that song like a billion times in Looney Tunes cartoons... Has the world truly progressed so far that kids don't watch Looney Tunes anymore??? horrors... -jennifer, mommy to alice the bean, 8/15/97 http://www.emprl.psu.edu/~anth/ NEW E-MAIL! mailto:beanmom@icdc.com "The best way to make children good is to make them happy." -Oscar Wilde ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980721135617.008c5308@cybnetonline.com> Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 08:56:17 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMB Cherry Popin' Daddies >> That it does, 'cause they're both interpolated (is that the right >> word? we've discussed this before) from "Powerhouse" by some guy whose >> name I can't remember.. > >Could we PLEASE get this into the FAQ or something? We just talked about >this a month ago or so. Yes, the Cherry Poppin' Daddies song, the TMBG >song, and many many other songs, "interpret" the song "Powerhouse." That > Actualy the first person was right. When you interpolate, you basically steal the music (Not the recording of it) and put it in your song. Interpreting is something completely different. If your gonna correct somone's grammer consult a dictionary to see if your right first. >Damn it, listen to me. No, how 'bout you listen to me. I explained this before. LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 09:11:55 -0500 (CDT) From: Kim Justice Subject: TMBG: label? Message-ID: What record label are They affiliated with now, or is that a Big Secret? kj -- justicek@edge.net (Kim Justice) http://edge.edge.net/~justicek Radiant and terrified, they fall. -- Anna Domino ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980721141052.28036.rocketmail@web4.rocketmail.com> Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 07:10:52 -0700 (PDT) From: Danielle Gaither Subject: Re: TMBG: label? ---Kim Justice wrote: > > What record label are They affiliated with now, or is that a Big Secret? > kj Last I heard, They were still looking for one. In a March interview, Linnell said they had some possibilies, but "nothing has transpired yet." Don't ask me why that wording sticks in my head. Things may have changed since then, but I haven't heard anything. Hoping a more knowledgable person can help, Inspector Over the Mine _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35B4A2AD.5EF381B3@btc.adaptec.com> Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 08:16:13 -0600 From: Russ Josephson Organization: Adaptec, Inc Subject: TMBG: TMBG Video Bootlegs > > Message-ID: <35B3CF23.24F0@stlnet.com> > Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 17:13:49 -0600 > From: Lynne > Subject: NON-TMBG: The Video Comp. > > Hey. > > Can someone point me towards Russ Josephson's page and his email > address. > I seem to have lost it, and now that I have a paycheck coming I can > order all three movies. > > Thanks. > > Chris > chrisl@tmbg.org Hello Chris, Here's my email and web page address: Russ Josephson 1217 N. Aspen Dr. Berthoud, CO 80513-1040 mailto:russj@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/7158 By the way, I have also made a Joe Jackson video bootleg, featuring the music of Graham Maby's former employer. Graham is prominently featured in most of the clips, and his bass playing contributed to the great sound of Joe Jackson's music. Russ ------------------------------ From: TMBGChris@aol.com Message-ID: <503422b6.35b4c37a@aol.com> Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 12:36:09 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Cartoon Planet commercial in Response to the cartoon planet commercial, No one knows my plan is the theme song.. the trumpet part anyway,,, later, chris ------------------------------ From: TMBGChris@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 12:41:44 EDT Subject: TMBG: Dr. Worm on M2 maybe.... hi, if they have a video for dr. worm it will probbally come on m2. if it does i will tell you guys. The other day they played istanbul later chris ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199807211703.NAA39626@ns2-1.CC.Lehigh.EDU> Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 13:03:18 EDT From: sbm4@lehigh.edu (Scott McNulty) Subject: NON TMBG: Monopuff in the mall? OK all! This story may not be the best int he world but I don't contribute much tot he list so I thought I would share! So I was over at the new Palasades Mall (I live in NY so it is close to home) which, I hear tell is the second largest mall in AMerica. And I was walking around with my friend enjoying the mallness and total lack of atmosphere that all malls seem to share.. and my friend said, "I'm going to the Gap!" And in he went. I was faced with a tough decision, did I stick with my friend and go into a store I HATE with all my heart and soul or do I stand outside and lounge around. After much brow beating I went in and looked at all the "cool" clothes... khakis are the "new" thing! If you ask me Dockers are the best pants in the world.. but I digress. Anyway so I was wondering around the Gap feeling out of place when what did I hear over the speakers but the strains of "Extra Crispy" (is it with a 'K' or a "c" I forget) by the one and only Monopuff! And that made me happy! So I was groovin in the GAP! But alas they did not play the whole song. But it was enought o make me happy. And I found $30 in the mall! Bonus! That is my little story. Scott ------------------------------ From: DrWormX@aol.com Message-ID: <43b66d9f.35b4d7db@aol.com> Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 14:03:06 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Parody Inc. Here's one, Space suit....have fun... Matt--blame it on pez addiction Alone And Bored on a thirtieth-century night Will I see you on The Price Is Right? Will I cry? Will I smile? As you run down the aisle? ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 12:09:42 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: label? Message-ID: On Tue, 21 Jul 1998, Kim Justice wrote: > What record label are They affiliated with now, or is that a Big Secret? restless. at least that's what STD's being released on... --jim kuemmerle, keeper of Big Secrets... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980721184320.609.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "VoVat Quetzalcoatlus" Subject: Re: TMBG: A disturbing Trend... Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 11:43:19 PDT >I've noticed a disturbing trend in the music industry lately, maybe you guys >have noticed it too? > >All these bands are putting out albums, and these albums have singles. > >Have any of you noticed that the first single off of a lot of albums betrays >what the album really is? > >Here I'll site some examples: > >TMBG - STD - Dr. Worm, Doc W completely betrays to the future listeners that >this is a live album. >BNL - STUNT - One Week. Most of the songs on stunt sound nothing like One Week. >Smashmouth - FUSH YU MANG - Walking on the sun. You wouldn't guess from the >first single that these guys are Ska. I don't know of any other recent examples, but TMBG has been doing this for some time. Just look at "Hotel Detective." It really doesn't fit all that well into the pink album sequence, but it was one of the singles. If someone bought the pink album to hear more stuff like "Hotel Detective," they might have been disappointed. Then there's "Istanbul," the only song on Flood not written by TMBG. Once again, it was one of the singles. Nathan, not Constantinople DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980721184730.27943.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "VoVat Quetzalcoatlus" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMB Cherry Popin' Daddies Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 11:47:29 PDT >Reply-To: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" >If your gonna correct >somone's grammer consult a dictionary to see if your right first. I hope that was intended as a joke. Nathan, who's grammer is much gooder then you'res DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980721191101.26105.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: Re: TMBG: Parody Inc. Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 12:11:00 PDT I don't know space suit. It must be on an album I don't have. Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com "He wants to knock your house down... And he can't, because you're lying in the way of his bulldozer... I think we can come to some arrangement." --Ford Prefect, "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980721192535.497.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: TMBG: Please respond to my parody Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 12:25:34 PDT Last call for parody responces. I guess what I need is a self-esteem boost, but no matter why I want a responce, I just want a responce. "Destination Moon" parody Don't bother to bother me There's no one I know who gives a damn Or who even wants talk to you So please go away and let me be to go and Bang my head on the wall Har-der and harder and har-der and harder and harder, Harder, HARDER Then pick the broken plaster bits out of my head Kick you in the nuts Punch you in the face Dear God in heaven, what is wrong with me You think, "What a screwball" "What a nutty guy" Just know that YOU caused me to Bang my head on the wall Har-der and harder and har-der and harder and harder, Harder, HARDER Then pick the broken plaster bits out of my head Soon a man in a white coat brings a crazy-person net "Come on Josh, you're coming weather or not you 'preciate it" (Surfer music interlude) Kick you in the nuts Punch you in the face Dear God in heaven, what is wrong with me You think, "What a screwball" "What a nutty guy" Just know that YOU caused me to Bang my head on the wall Har-der and harder and har-der and harder and harder, Harder, HARDER Then pick the broken plaster bits out of my head Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com "He wants to knock your house down... And he can't, because you're lying in the way of his bulldozer... I think we can come to some arrangement." --Ford Prefect, "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 13:30:10 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Parody Inc. Message-ID: On Tue, 21 Jul 1998, Josh Buckland wrote: > I don't know space suit. It must be on an album I don't have. (mouth hanging open in disbelief...) apollo 18.... it's on apollo 18.... how can you not have apollo 18.... or at least know apollo 18.... go get it.... --jim kuemmerle, whose favorite tmbg album is apollo 18.... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 13:32:39 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Please respond to my parody Message-ID: On Tue, 21 Jul 1998, Josh Buckland wrote: > Last call for parody responces. I guess what I need is a self-esteem > boost, but no matter why I want a responce, I just want a responce. it scans beautifully, but it seems sort of a copout to me to put "harder and harder, etc." in the place of "by rocket to the moon, by airplane to the rocket, etc."... --jim kuemmerle, whose favorite tmbg album is *still* apollo 18.... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 13:45:18 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: non-TMBG: SNZ Message-ID: On Tue, 21 Jul 1998, Bill Tatalovich wrote: > According to an ad in Hits Magazine (an awful, awful, pretentious music > industry rag), the new SNZ single is "Suits Are Picking Up the Bill" > (which is really amusing, if you think about it)... (enter THE REV, being carried by several men in suits and sunglasses) --jim kuemmerle, who couldn't resist. j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 15:46:10 EDT Subject: TMBG: Soul Coughing (yes, it has much to do with TMBG) Hey, all you Soul Coughing fans out there must know about the new album, so obviously they will have a video for it, eh? Well, would our good friend Mr. Flansburgh be one of their choices for director of this (yet to be declared, to my knowledge) music video? a thought to ponder.... jason "move up side, & let the man go through" glastetter ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980721161200.0082fdf0@csrlink.net> Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 16:12:00 -0400 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: TMBG: I've got something ELSE you want. Now, without any risk of lessening your enjoyment of STD, you simply must check out http://www.mtv.com/mtv/sendme.cgi?/news/headlines/980721/story8.html. Shall we all thank BOB_III for this info. Hehe. Also, don't throw things at me, but I was at The Wall yesterday. I said DON'T throw things. Anyway, whilest Matt was looking for something to buy, I went to play with their computer thing. Didn't find the New Video Comp, but did find Severe Tire Damage. Everything looked to be about normal, except that they listed Severe Tire Damage Theme as an instrumental, so, well, there you have it. From the MTV page, which you should have seen by now. Kiddie Show. Kick. Ass. Dylan "Like Jim and myself, I wonder if Mike Leffel's favorite album is Apollo 18" Flipse Dylan Flipse...one of them. - dflipse@csrlink.net Dylan's page is at http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ for now. I'll never see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed -They Might Be Giants, the coolest thing this side of Zaphod Beeblebrox. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980721202005.26857.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: TMBG: parody exceptions Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 13:20:03 PDT Alright, I'll do any album EXCEPT Apollo 18, be cause it's the only one I don't have. However, if you send me the lyrics, I'll see what I can do. Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com "He wants to knock your house down... And he can't, because you're lying in the way of his bulldozer... I think we can come to some arrangement." --Ford Prefect, "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980721202437.13542.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: TMBG: Who's in charge here??? Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 13:24:33 PDT Flansburg seems to be the one in charge of TMBG, but a the same time, Linnell seems to be the A #1 man. How does it go??? Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com "He wants to knock your house down... And he can't, because you're lying in the way of his bulldozer... I think we can come to some arrangement." --Ford Prefect, "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980721162940.006a0d28@130.127.28.14> Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 16:29:40 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Who's in charge here??? At 01:24 PM 7/21/98 PDT, Josh Buckland wrote: >Flansburg seems to be the one in charge of TMBG, but a the same time, >Linnell seems to be the A #1 man. How does it go??? Um, they're both in charge of TMBG. -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35B4C4BF.4354B187@tmbg.org> Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 16:41:37 +0000 From: "Chris \"Feeny\" Campbell" Subject: TMBG: Tmbg: Dr.Worm Video Correct me if I'm crazy, but did I hear somwhere that disney was doing the video for dr.worm??? Anybody know of a video for dr.worm? -Christopher Feeny Last CD's Bought: Moxy Fruvous Barginville + TMBG John Henry(Hey it was 7.99, my sister will be taking some tmbg cd's when she goes to college :-( Favorite song: Dr.Worm Favorite Radio Station: 102.9 WBLM ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 14:49:53 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Tmbg: Dr.Worm Video Message-ID: On Tue, 21 Jul 1998, Chris "Feeny" Campbell wrote: > Correct me if I'm crazy, but did I hear somwhere that disney was doing > the video for dr.worm??? Anybody know of a video for dr.worm? in the mtv article that dylan brought to our attention a few posts ago (thanks, dylan!), it said that the good mr. flansburgh is doing the dr. worm video. it also said some other good stuff. --jim kuemmerle, who likes good stuff... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 14:58:29 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: non-TMBG: The Leffel Fund Message-ID: AND NOW, A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: many of you remember mike leffel. many of you who weren't around during mike leffel's stay on the list remember that he gets talked about a lot by those who either (a) like him a lot and miss him or (b) like him a lot and worship him like a god among men. anyway. mike was yanked from our presence this most recent january when his hard drive gave up. how to get mike back amongst us? the answer is easy: fix his computer. toward this end, LDB and i are starting up the "Save Mike Leffel's Computer Fund". if you wish to donate to this fund, please send me some money at the following address: jim kuemmerle bass lab department of biochemistry university of utah salt lake city, ut 84112 any and all donations will be put toward getting mike a new hard drive. --jim kuemmerle, who thanks you for your support. j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980721170158.006a1504@130.127.28.14> Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 17:01:58 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Tmbg: Dr.Worm Video At 02:49 PM 7/21/98 -0600, J Kuemmerle wrote: > >in the mtv article that dylan brought to our attention a few posts ago >(thanks, dylan!), it said that the good mr. flansburgh is doing the dr. >worm video. True, but there was also word that there would be some animation in it...maybe he heard that Chris heard Disney was doing the animation. I think this is a little unlikely since Disney would probably charge oodles of dollars for any animation for a video, but still... -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 17:25:41 EDT Subject: TMBG: Soul Coughing vs. Cherry Poppin' Daddys; A good day for radio >> Alright you Cherry Popin' Daddies fans...doesn't sound like the Rythm Section >> Want Ad accordian solo!!!!!! If you want to break out your Soul Coughing "Ruby Vroom" Cd, play track 5...Mr. Raymond Scott...aww, yeah! Oh, btw today is a good day for radio...on the way to work I heard "Frankenstein.." TMBG covered it live occassionally & the studio version (reocrorded by some guy who's name escapes me) rocks! & on the way home i heard "Particle Man!" YEAH! jason "A lot of talk about the cough lately" glastetter ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980721213000.0074c170@cybnetonline.com> Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 16:30:00 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMB Cherry Popin' Daddies At 11:47 AM 7/21/98 PDT, VoVat Quetzalcoatlus wrote: >>Reply-To: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" >>If your gonna correct >>somone's grammer consult a dictionary to see if your right first. > >I hope that was intended as a joke. > Yeah, it was a li'l stab at ya. But it interpolate is the correct word. Plus if you think about it you can't consult a dictionary for grammer, and it was more of a spelling correction than a grammer correction. LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Videos Message-ID: <19980721.173818.8991.5.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 17:39:19 EDT Are there any videos that have been made are going to be made for Factory Showroom? If there are, what ones? Derek "Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age" _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 02:36:57 -0700 Subject: Re: non-TMBG: SNZ Message-ID: <19980721.023659.4710.0.Prince_Nez@juno.com> From: prince_nez@juno.com (Prince Nez) I have not heard the entire song, but when you exit the interactive section of the Hot album, they play "the suits are picking up the bill" durring the credits. _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <009b01bdb4f9$597c0bc0$69c708d1@idiotnot.visi.net> From: "S. Bergeron" Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Atlas Shrugged Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 18:46:00 -0400 :i haven't ever read atlas shrugged, but i know it's by the american :author ayn rand, and i think it was written during the 1930's... Probably written during the 1930's but was published 1957. Another summary of objectivism: The philosophy of selfishness. Take a look at www.pwni.com for more info. Jack Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net bluedawg@tmbg.org "Someday, somebody else besides me will call me by my stage name."--Doctor Worm http://www.tmbg.org/~bluedawg/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <00c001bdb4fa$106dd8e0$69c708d1@idiotnot.visi.net> From: "S. Bergeron" Subject: TMBG: Fw: Time Person of the Century Poll Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 18:51:12 -0400 Time to vote for Flans.... Ladies and germs! Stuff that box! Jack Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net bluedawg@tmbg.org "Someday, somebody else besides me will call me by my stage name."--Doctor Worm http://www.tmbg.org/~bluedawg/ -----Original Message----- From: hodge-podge@juno.com To: web@tmbg.org Date: Monday, July 20, 1998 5:25 PM Subject: Time Person of the Century Poll :Dear TMBG person. : :Time Magizine is doing a Person of the Century Poll for 1999. I think :that the Johns need to be on this list. Maybe if we pushed an "elect the :johns for 1999 person the of century" compaign or something. The fans :could do it. Maybe not all the way to number one, but at least up there :somewhere. They put Linell as the 9th beautiful person. It can be done. : :Let's get some votes on there! : :Go to: :http://www.pathfinder.com/time/time100/poc/century.html : :Jesus is on top now, and he wasn't even on the earth during the last :century. Hitlers up there too. The Johns need to be on there. : :Thanks for your time. : :David Allan Duncan :Hodge-Podge@Juno.Com : :_____________________________________________________________________ :You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. :Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com :Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] : ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980721230541.12431.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: TMBG: Non-Tmbg: Let's tell off Hanson!!! Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 16:05:40 PDT Quick, go to http://www.chat.yahoo.com by 8:00 PM EST for a live chat with Hanson. Under the "Ask" bar, repetedly type in "You guys suck dick!!!" If enough people do it, we'll have enough to get it through. I'll be chating as LeChuck__, if you wish to look for me! Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com "He wants to knock your house down... And he can't, because you're lying in the way of his bulldozer... I think we can come to some arrangement." --Ford Prefect, "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980721231518.11576.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Sarah faye" Subject: Re: TMBG: A disturbing Trend... Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 16:15:17 PDT >>I've noticed a disturbing trend in the music industry lately, maybe you >guys >>have noticed it too? >> >>All these bands are putting out albums, and these albums have singles. >> >>Have any of you noticed that the first single off of a lot of albums >betrays >>what the album really is? >> >>Here I'll site some examples: >> >>TMBG - STD - Dr. Worm, Doc W completely betrays to the future listeners >that >>this is a live album. >>BNL - STUNT - One Week. Most of the songs on stunt sound nothing like >One Week. >>Smashmouth - FUSH YU MANG - Walking on the sun. You wouldn't guess >from the >>first single that these guys are Ska. yes I have noticed this.....the worst example of this in recent memory must be White Town.....if any of you have "Women In Technology" you know what I mean.....the single, "Your Woman", was synthesizer heavy and very crank-it-up-able, whereas the rest of the album is very "guy-in-his-bedroom-with-an-acoustic-guitar"-ish.....my roommate at school last year had this album and that's how I know....the rest of the album isn't awful, just ten thousand shades more low-key than "Your Woman"...and I bet a lot of people felt ripped off when they got the album cause they liked the single..... Sarah "chubby depressed girl" faye ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35B52B1A.AF1F3241@stlmo.com> Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 18:58:18 -0500 From: "Zoo Laaa, King of the icky poos" Organization: Bob's Freezed dried onions Subject: Re: TMBG: Non-Tmbg: Let's tell off Hanson!!! Josh Buckland wrote: > Quick, go to http://www.chat.yahoo.com by 8:00 PM EST for a live chat > with Hanson. Under the "Ask" bar, repetedly type in "You guys suck > dick!!!" If enough people do it, we'll have enough to get it through. > I'll be chating as LeChuck__, if you wish to look for me! ok....i've really tried to ignore it....but........first off...im a lurker...i never post....and...i stayed away from the whole suicide thing...and now (although comepletely not related) this....first... why are you wanting to make parodies of TMBG songs?...unless they are mailing you privately...no one wants any of Their lyrics messed up.............and now your doing this to hanson.......i dont like hanson either.....but....they are richer than i will ever be..they also got a lucky break......just let them continue their merry ol' ways...and continue selling out..... heh...."you guys suck dick!!!"......reminds me of the typical highschooler..."im cool cuase i can say 'suck dick'".... .....now everybody got sick of everybody else for all the flames earlier......sooo..well.....i dunno...im just going to go hide again...bye bye... -tim ------------------------------ From: WeepDay@aol.com Message-ID: <68cb8cb6.35b53768@aol.com> Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 20:50:47 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm on M2 maybe.... In a message dated 98-07-21 12:49:34 EDT, TMBGChris@aol.com writes: << hi, if they have a video for dr. worm it will probbally come on m2. if it does i will tell you guys. The other day they played istanbul later chris >> They also played Snail Shell about a week ago, they were playing videos with the word "shell" in them, if i remember right. Athena ------------------------------ From: WeepDay@aol.com Message-ID: <71875d26.35b53884@aol.com> Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 20:55:30 EDT Subject: Re: non-TMBG: SNZ On the Mammoth website (www.mammoth.com) they have it to where you can download a sneak peek at the video for the new song "Suits Are Picking Up the Bill", but my browser wouldnt let me open it. :P athena~ ------------------------------ From: "Lee Steel" Subject: RE: TMBG: Record Stores in NYC Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 21:27:12 -0400 Message-ID: <000201bdb50f$da6e23b0$6464a8c0@lee1> Never go to NYC without checking out St.Mark's Place. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980722013050.8811.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "VoVat Quetzalcoatlus" Subject: Re: TMBG: Videos Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 18:30:49 PDT >Reply-To: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) > >Are there any videos that have been made are going to be made for Factory >Showroom? If there are, what ones? No videos have been made so far, and I doubt that any will be made this late in the game. Nathan, who'll need a crane, who'll need a crane DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: "Lee Steel" Subject: RE: non-TMBG: The Leffel Fund Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 21:37:48 -0400 Message-ID: <000501bdb511$555cf9b0$6464a8c0@lee1> How about if I just send him a new hard drive? ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980722021627.2797.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: Re: TMBG: Videos Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 19:16:26 PDT >No videos have been made so far, and I doubt that any will be made this >late in the game. > Didn't someone say there was a S-E-X-X-Y video??? Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com "He wants to knock your house down... And he can't, because you're lying in the way of his bulldozer... I think we can come to some arrangement." --Ford Prefect, "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35B57715.7CF9@fuse.net> Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 22:22:29 -0700 From: jays your one-paged dictionary Organization: dial-a-song! 718-387-6962, narrrrrrrrr! Subject: Re: TMBG: Videos Josh Buckland wrote: > > >No videos have been made so far, and I doubt that any will be made this > >late in the game. > > > > Didn't someone say there was a S-E-X-X-Y video??? no, but there HAS been a snail shell video, as several have pointed out. jay. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980722021939.21684.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: RE: non-TMBG: The Leffel Fund Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 19:19:38 PDT If you guys know where to contact him, tell him I said hi, and that I really hope he get his computer fixed, and that I'm sorry I couldn't get to meet him, becaulse I'd love to meet the man behind the legend!!! Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com "He wants to knock your house down... And he can't, because you're lying in the way of his bulldozer... I think we can come to some arrangement." --Ford Prefect, "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980722023205.18502.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Sarah faye" Subject: RE: TMBG: Record Stores in NYC Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 19:32:04 PDT >Never go to NYC without checking out St.Mark's Place. definitely....Mondo Kim's is especially cool, with a lot of weird interesting stuff for cheap..... sarah faye who has felt a constant pull towards the East Village ever since she bought some olive drab army cargo pants from a store on Avenue B ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35B564C9.8F65EC8C@softhome.net> Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 23:04:26 -0500 From: melissa Subject: TMBG: TMB Cherry Poppin' Daddies that solo in rythm section want ad is actually a very famous song made by some guy way back when swing was first popular. its in like every old cartoon with a factory in it, its also in the background of a ren and stimpy cartoon, the one where ren finds out hairballs are more valuble then gold. anyway, its nothing new, really...sorry to dissapoint you. if it werent for dissapointment, i wouldnt have any appointments... melissa ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 23:11:37 -0400 (EDT) From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: TMB Cherry Popin' Daddies >Damn it, listen to me. We do. Always. :} Kirs -- [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] "And she said losing love is like a window in your heart Everybody sees you're blown apart..." - Paul Simon "Graceland" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 23:24:06 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Non-Tmbg: Let's tell off Hanson!!! Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 21-Jul-98 Re: TMBG: Non-Tmbg: Let's t.. by Zoo Laaa@stlmo.com > you wanting to make parodies of TMBG songs?...unless they are mailing you > privately...no one wants any of Their lyrics messed up.............and now um, I forget who it was who said this, but "Imitation is the greatest form of flattery." and they're right. parody is not intended to "mess up" a band's lyrics, and, in the case of the songs being posted recently, they are really just new songs to the tune of TMBG songs. to be a true parody, a song must parallel the lyrics of the song it is based on. frankly, I think it's fun to see people writing parodies (assuming they're reasonably good - I've written a bunch that I would never post here because they are so horrible :) but to say that it's "messing up" the songs is completely missing the point. Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Everything sticks until it goes away, * This space inadvertently And the truth is we don't know anything." -TMBG * left blank. ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 23:16:05 -0400 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: A good day for radio Message-ID: <19980721.231631.4542.1.Mr.Train@juno.com> On Tue, 21 Jul 1998 17:25:41 EDT Happyfroot@aol.com writes: >Oh, btw today is a good day for radio...on the way to work I heard >"Frankenstein.." TMBG covered it live occassionally & the studio >version (reocrorded by some guy who's name escapes me) rocks! & on the way >home i heard "Particle Man!" YEAH! Frankenstein (the original version) was recorded by the Edgar Winters Group... I love it when TMBG plays it in concert and right after the drum solo the let out a "We Love You!" (a la Spider) before getting back to rocking the fans Glad I could help... Tim, preheated and ribbed(?) Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: Dr. Worm Last CD purchase: I Palindrome I single Favorite mainstream song: One Week - BNL > >jason "A lot of talk about the cough lately" glastetter > _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 23:30:14 -0400 (EDT) From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: A disturbing Trend... >yes I have noticed this.....the worst example of this in recent memory >must be White Town.....if any of you have "Women In Technology" you know >what I mean.....the single, "Your Woman", was synthesizer heavy and very >crank-it-up-able, whereas the rest of the album is very >"guy-in-his-bedroom-with-an-acoustic-guitar"-ish..... Y'know, I tend to think this might have something to do with the recent spate of one-hit-wonders; those artists who become very big for one single, and then quickly fade into obscurity again. I mean, that's always been happening, but it seems like lately the music buying public has had an even shorter attention span. Kirs -- [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] "And she said losing love is like a window in your heart Everybody sees you're blown apart..." - Paul Simon "Graceland" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35B56731.D2C@rica.net> Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 00:14:41 -0400 From: Joey Groah Subject: Re: TMBG: Fw: Time Person of the Century Poll S. Bergeron wrote: > > Time to vote for Flans.... > > :Dear TMBG person. > : > :Time Magizine is doing a Person of the Century Poll for 1999. I think > :that the Johns need to be on this list. Maybe if we pushed an "elect the > :johns for 1999 person the of century" compaign or something. The fans > :could do it. Maybe not all the way to number one, but at least up there > :somewhere. They put Linell as the 9th beautiful person. It can be done. > : > :Let's get some votes on there! > : > :Go to: > :http://www.pathfinder.com/time/time100/poc/century.html > : > :Jesus is on top now, and he wasn't even on the earth during the last > :century. Hitlers up there too. The Johns need to be on there. > : Wow, look at all them wrasslers up there. And Hitler? Thats' a little scary... Churchill, Einstein, Gandi, but Hitler? C'mon, Flans can stomp Hitler. Or at least that obscene little color-form. Joey, sends messages to Mike Leffel by carrier pigeon ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35B56B04.67D2@rica.net> Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 00:31:00 -0400 From: Joey Groah Subject: TMBG:Rosie e-mail Here's Rosie's e-mail page thingie, I couldn't find an e-mail address: http://rosieo.warnerbros.com/cmp/mail.htm I said "Hey, gimme TMBG on TV and I'll stop making fun of Exit to Eden," or something slightly nicer than that. Go do the same, I'm going through TMBG withdrawl(not really, it's for effect). On an unrelated note: I just saw a commercial for "Who's Line is it Anyway" on ABC and exclaimed "Oh my God!" After this long day, that's sayin' a whole lot. I'll miss Clive, but I bet its gots "Party Quirks," and Greg Proops. Joey, reading the credits in the style of a William F. Buckley ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199807220556.NAA19679@vector.wantree.com.au> From: "Carla Stagles" Subject: Re: TMBG: Fw: Time Person of the Century Poll Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 13:50:22 +0800 > C'mon, Flans can > stomp Hitler. come on guys!!! > > :http://www.pathfinder.com/time/time100/poc/century.html get down there! sarah Maclachlan cannot be allowed to take the place of Flans and Linnell!!! they kick her scrawny BUTT! (and if anyone disagrees.. you're on the wrong frikkin' mailing list, duh-fred!) yeeeeeHAW! Carla "by rocket to the moon" ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #8-22 *****************************