Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #8-24 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 8, Number 24 Friday, 24 July 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: non:I'M ALIVE... AND SO ARE YOU-OO!!! Re: TMBG: knowledge TMBG: Re: non-tmbg:don't look for dilbeert_2000 any time soon on Re: TMBG: non:I'M ALIVE... AND SO ARE YOU-OO!!! Re: TMBG:STD promo for sale + more BNL +Sifl and Ollie Re: TMBG: non-tmbg:don't look for dilbert_2000 any time soon on this list Re: 1/2 TMBG: Yeah! TMBG month & Mike Leffel TMBG: hell hotel, THE PARODY!!!! Re: TMBG: here we go again, and other stuff. Re: TMBG: hell hotel, THE PARODY!!!! TMBG: Faster "They Got Lost" Re: TMBG: hell hotel, THE PARODY!!!! Re: TMBG: Faster "They Got Lost" Re: TMBG: hell hotel, THE PARODY!!!! Re: TMBG: hell hotel, THE PARODY!!!! TMBG: She's an Angel PARODY: Speacial!!! Re: TMBG: She's an Angel PARODY: Speacial!!! Re: TMBG: She's an Angel PARODY: Speacial!!! TMBG: Sleeping in the flowers, this is for Sarah Re: TMBG: TMBG/VF show information TMBG: tmbgish: pogo & monopuff TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #8-23 TMBG: non-tmbg: the big, big vein popping in my head Re: TMBG: TMBG/VF show information TMBG: Parody Madness!?! Re: TMBG: tmbgish: pogo & monopuff TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #8-23 TMBG: non-tmbg: dead horses and their beatings TMBG: Video comp Re: TMBG: Video comp TMBG: Played at Amusement Park TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #8-23 TMBG: Re: TMBG in Cleveland TMBG: Total Request Re: TMBG: Fw: Time Person of the Century Poll Re: TMBG: non-tmbg:don't look for dilbert_2000 any time soon on this list Re: TMBG: Total Request Re: TMBG: Total Request Re: TMBG: Total Request Re: non-TMBG: grammer [sic] Re: TMBG: Fw: Time Person of the Century Poll NON-TMBG: Spelling Re: TMBG: Total Request Re: NON-TMBG: Spelling Re: TMBG: Total Request TMBG: non-tmbg:I am a god-damn jack-ass TMBG: Re: my apologies Re: TMBG: non-tmbg:I am a god-damn jack-ass TMBG: Are they watching us??? Re: TMBG: Re: my apologies Re: TMBG: Are they watching us??? Re: TMBG: Are they watching us??? Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <19980723021846.5547.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: TMBG: non:I'M ALIVE... AND SO ARE YOU-OO!!! Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 19:18:45 PDT With a little help from Victor Frankenstien, I'm back and fit as a fiddle! I'd like to thank those who backed me up(or at least oposed the other guy). How come no one told me I died? You're right, no one WOULD hear from me for a while, but it's only 'cause I went to a friend's house. I think CPD said it best when they said "8 ball in the poket with a voodoo moan, you can't trust him 'cause he's never aloan. Then he'll start talkin' chicken shit, and grab your fuzzy dice". I don't know WHY they said it best, I just thought it sounded best for the time being. Well, I'm off to pick the (Dr.) worms out of my eye sockets and bathe my rotting corps!!!!!!! Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com "Micheal Myers is in hell, where he belongs." --Donald Pleasants, Halloween 4 ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: OverpassX@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 22:23:36 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: knowledge Its really annoying when people don't know the basics.... you wouldn't join a birdwatching club (this list) unless you know the difference between a bluejay (factory showroom), robin(flood), and a blackbird (Apollo 18).... how could you have conversations about birdwatching (hmmm haven't really been any good TMBG list conversations in a while) if some of you are teaching 3 or 4 of the others (Josh Buckland??) this basic stuff (including list etiquette)... when there is a birdwatcher's guide at their fingertips?(FAQ and instructions when you join this list) Babysitting and teaching others was not what I wanted to get out of this list, but it seems like that's all that has been going on... NoraChica << Also, they must own all the albums and singles, at least 3 bootlegs, and have seen Them live 10 times. I think the only true fans are the ones who have been around for 10 years, and the newer ones who come along just don't get it. If they weren't there in the beginning, forget 'em! Anyone who doesn't meet the above qualifications is obviously just a trendy little neophyte with no real interest in Their music and obviously deserves to be flamed incessantly. Bonus points for those who know more about the Johns than they do about their own best friends. >> ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980722223110.00e69740@csrlink.net> Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 22:31:10 -0400 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: TMBG: Re: non-tmbg:don't look for dilbeert_2000 any time soon on At 08:20 PM 7/22/98 EDT, you wrote: >I would like to report that Dilbert_2000@hotmail.com (this specific name) will >not be posting to this list anymore. This is for reasons I cannot give >(hotmail is the best), and if you would like to thank me, donations to the >matt is poor fund can be sent to 141 Cooper Ave, Up. Montclair, NJ 07043. if >you are too cheap to donate, you can send me an e-mail of thanks, and if you >think what I did was wrong, screw you. >monkeys mating with our faces Despite my earlier views, I do feel the need to stand up for Josh right now. First off he obviously put some work into those songs, and they weren't half bad. Second, his mail where he swore at you, that was to you, Matt. Once it's off the list, it's no longer a list issue. And then you get into the fact that he doesn't have Apollo 18. That's just kinda...I dunno. The kid is obviously a fan, he's proven that. And then he says that he'll try any song off any other album, and some people I respect very much jump all over him with Hell Hotel, Cabbagetown, Welcome To The Jungle and the like. Those aren't ON albums. When I joined the list, I had just three albums. And I still don't own, on CD, Welcome to the Jungle. Give him a break. The whole "Let's Jump On The Kid" thing got old the first time, even though I was one of the people right up front who came out and said what needed to be said. Perhaps, again, this time one post was needed, but not a dozen. Oh yah, I'm glad he didn't get his account canceled, cause I wouldn't wish a change of email address on ANYONE who didn't know it was coming. Dylan "Mike Leffel would deal with this much better" Flipse Dylan Flipse...one of them. - dflipse@csrlink.net Dylan's page is at http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ for now. I'll never see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed -They Might Be Giants, the coolest thing this side of Zaphod Beeblebrox. ------------------------------ From: OverpassX@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 22:33:39 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: non:I'M ALIVE... AND SO ARE YOU-OO!!! damn... that's all I have to say... made my day and ruined it in one email readin session.... damn... NoraChica "If some asshole can get away with posting two line meaningless posts to the list than so can I" -me ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 22:34:48 -0400 (EDT) From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG:STD promo for sale + more BNL +Sifl and Ollie >uhm not unless all the kiddies doing it at the hanson concert are >tributing our johns... beleive me... TMBG fans were NOT the first people >to do it. it's been around since forever ago for all those people that >don't know how to dance. I'm a big fan of pogoing, largely because I'm one of those aformentioned people who don't know how to dance. My specialty is that Garth-from-Wayne's-World pogoing with the hands flapping loosely dance. :) That, and the Peanuts dance. But hey, I'm taking ballroom dancing as a PE credit this fall, so maybe I'll learn some grace. Kirsten ("grace?! you?! HA!" - my friend Patrick, who insists his shins still haven't healed from prom) -- [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] "And she said losing love is like a window in your heart Everybody sees you're blown apart..." - Paul Simon "Graceland" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 22:42:10 -0400 (EDT) From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: non-tmbg:don't look for dilbert_2000 any time soon on this list >dammit (you can tell I'm pissed now), by saying "If you think what I did was >wrong, screw you" I meant, I didn't want to hear about it. Obviously, you >couldn't comprehend this, or you would've kept your mouth clo-sed. Let it end >like this, because I know people are gonna get pissed when they check their >mail in the morning, and they find an argument that should've been settled off >of the list. Okay, now you're making me mad. I agree with Danielle; what you did was stupid, immature, and uncalled for. Also, you're compounding it by acting like even more of a jerk. If you didn't want people to get mad at you, if you didn't want to provoke, why didn't you just keep YOUR mouth closed, huh? Saying "If you think what I did was wrong, screw you" does NOT make you immune to criticism. Kirsten -- [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] "And she said losing love is like a window in your heart Everybody sees you're blown apart..." - Paul Simon "Graceland" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980722224848.006a3744@130.127.28.14> Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 22:48:48 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: 1/2 TMBG: Yeah! TMBG month & Mike Leffel At 09:43 PM 7/22/98 -0400, gray42@juno.com wrote: >Yeah, I just sent some money fer Russ and his bootleg fun, and from my >favrit' independent music store, I ordered the Dr. Worm single, and the >STD CD and Vidio Compilation. And since my birthday will be here soon, I Wait, wait, wait! :-) So the Dr. Worm single and the video comp. have official release dates...and both will be released commercially? Wonderful!!! >And did anyone consider that Mike Leffel might be secretly posing as a >List Lurker, watching our reactions to his disappearence? Naw, that's not Mike's style. ;-) 'Course, I could be completely wrong. >Mysterio Gal (who loves independent music stores, and turning harmless Yes! Indie stores are our friend. -Adam, who got the l.e. of Stunt on CD and a free BNL t-shirt for $11.99 + tax from his local indie store... ;-) -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980723025423.12039.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: TMBG: hell hotel, THE PARODY!!!! Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 19:54:22 PDT Slabutation paints his armpits, Strip joints in frightning worlds Got a burnt steak from his brother, ha ha ha A rock floating in river, with kytes in city skies Collapsin' on the heartburn or Rollaides for the night He steps into the Bates Motel, Ol' Norman hands him soap-on-a-rope What does he mean, "Nice Piss"? Mother takes his flashcoat, takes Ron down to his room Ka-bang-ka-boom this is a sweat fire, Silverfish in his head We're here to Rock-n-roll you, or have you seen John Lennon yet?? We're the accent heard in Enlish mates, We're Kidding. You're real gullible! Well, hell, well welcome to Bates Motel Well, hell, well welcome to Bates Motel ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35B6D83F.2631@fuse.net> Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 23:29:19 -0700 From: jays your one-paged dictionary Organization: dial-a-song! 718-387-6962, narrrrrrrrr! Subject: Re: TMBG: here we go again, and other stuff. Greetings from Jayland. I have found, via this past half hour or so of reading e-mail, that Matt is an idiot. If he attempts in any way to argue this point, screw him; I don't want to hear about it. Incredible is his own hypocrasy if he denies my claim either to me or the list. I have nothing against Josh, despite that he may act brashly and without thinking--none have existed who do not have at least a little Buckland in him or her. I now have plenty against Dr. Matthew Worm (Christ if that plagorism isn't the most blatant I've ever seen), due at least in part to his ignorantly insulting list members whom I admire. And a list member whom I don't, but who didn't deserve it just the same. In other news, Hanson does not have any talent. *snicker* Neither does most anyone else in popular music today, though, so I shan't speak any more. *sigh* I guess I'm stuck with an elitist mentality, but whoever said that was a bad thing? Stop ragging on LDB, please; it's beginning to annoy me. His point was well, if sloppily, made. I understand the irony behind his words, but please... he does not deserve to be flamed, by any means. peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jay. -- jayhc, the one and only rabbi bull. e-mail: sirjamez@fuse.net, phonebook@tmbg.org aol im: SaturnChrd, PhoneBookJ irc: PhoneBook "and sadly the cross-eyed bear's been put to sleep behind the stairs, and his shoes are laced with irony." --tmbg "I'm very sorry, but my guitar IS tired." --steve howe -- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980723034216.15473.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Sarah faye" Subject: Re: TMBG: hell hotel, THE PARODY!!!! Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 20:42:16 PDT >Slabutation paints his armpits, Strip joints in frightning worlds >Got a burnt steak from his brother, ha ha ha >A rock floating in river, with kytes in city skies >Collapsin' on the heartburn or Rollaides for the night >He steps into the Bates Motel, Ol' Norman hands him soap-on-a-rope >What does he mean, "Nice Piss"? >Mother takes his flashcoat, takes Ron down to his room >Ka-bang-ka-boom this is a sweat fire, Silverfish in his head > >We're here to Rock-n-roll you, or have you seen John Lennon yet?? >We're the accent heard in Enlish mates, We're Kidding. You're real >gullible! > >Well, hell, well welcome to Bates Motel >Well, hell, well welcome to Bates Motel ok....that was highly funny.....I could get to like this....I'm sorry if everyone hates me for actually saying something nice about Josh...but when he does something funny and cool, I have to commend him as I would anyone else....make a parody of "She's An Angel" but make it a nice one cause that's like my favorite song by Them..... sarah faye slightly and consistently inconstant in her views on stuff ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: Spoonerism@aol.com Message-ID: <503847f9.35b6b1f1@aol.com> Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 23:45:52 EDT Subject: TMBG: Faster "They Got Lost" Heyo all I just got a bootleg with the faster version of "They Got Lost," and I absolutely love it! I know some people didn't like it when it first started, so I'm interested to know if the slow or fast version will be on STD. I also thought it would be nice to attempt to start a TMBG related thread again, not that I'm complaining :) -CAsey ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Message-ID: <8a0f8d69.35b6b2cc@aol.com> Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 23:49:30 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: hell hotel, THE PARODY!!!! In a message dated 98-07-22 23:47:33 EDT, sarian@hotmail.com writes: << ok....that was highly funny.....I could get to like this....I'm sorry if everyone hates me for actually saying something nice about Josh...but when he does something funny and cool, I have to commend him as I would anyone else....make a parody of "She's An Angel" but make it a nice one cause that's like my favorite song by Them..... >> Auugh! What?!? Not to be mean or anything, but am I the only one who didn't get the Hell Hotel parody at all? Jordan ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 23:50:11 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Faster "They Got Lost" Yep, it's gonna be the faster version. I hope the lyrics are as easy to understand as they are in the slow version--they're too cool! Kay ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980723040121.19702.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: Re: TMBG: hell hotel, THE PARODY!!!! Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 21:01:20 PDT make a parody of "She's An Angel" but make it a nice one >cause that's like my favorite song by Them. I'm on it. Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com "He wants to knock your house down... And he can't, because you're lying in the way of his bulldozer... I think we can come to some arrangement." --Ford Prefect, "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980723040414.19135.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: Re: TMBG: hell hotel, THE PARODY!!!! Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 21:04:13 PDT > >Auugh! What?!? >Not to be mean or anything, but am I the only one who didn't get the Hell >Hotel parody at all? Not to worry. You could only get it if you got the song in the first place. I don't get it myself!!! Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com "He wants to knock your house down... And he can't, because you're lying in the way of his bulldozer... I think we can come to some arrangement." --Ford Prefect, "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980723050916.17134.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: TMBG: She's an Angel PARODY: Speacial!!! Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 22:09:15 PDT "She's a Fatass" I met someone at the meat-mart She was holding a pound of pork But everyone was in a hurry so I purchased my beef and left. We both said, "I really like meat," Thanksgiving was a hit! We ate so much that wouldn't get in bed so we both made a place on the floor. Why did I pick her over anyone else? How'd I get so fat? These pounds gain on other people They shouldn't gain at all, in fact When you're in love with a vacuum Does it mean you have to squeeze her body through the doorway? Somewhere they're eating in a Mickey D's Calling you a fatass, calling you the funniest things I heard they had a weight program When you lose, they pay you, it's so great Sometimes I think I kind of like that and Other times I think that there's no way to. Gonna ask for Richard Simmons Gonna scream at the guy with the hair The secretary says he's buisy runnin' in place, Can I swing to the oldies for a while? I found out she's an fatass I don't think she knows it's true I'm worried that something might happen to her And it's somethin' called a heartattack. Why, why did I pick her over anyone else? How'd I get so fat? These pounds gain on other people They shouldn't gain at all When you're in love with a vacuum Does it mean you have to squeeze her body through the doorway? Somewhere they're eating in a Mickey D's Calling you a fatass, calling you the funniest things I heard they had a weight program When you lose, they pay you, it's so great Sometimes I think I kind of like that and Other times I think that there's no way to. When you're in love with a vacuum Does it mean you have to roll her body through the doorway? Somewhere they're munchin' on some frenchfries Calling you an fatass, calling you the rudest things Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com "He wants to knock your house down... And he can't, because you're lying in the way of his bulldozer... I think we can come to some arrangement." --Ford Prefect, "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980723053550.13059.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Sarah faye" Subject: Re: TMBG: She's an Angel PARODY: Speacial!!! Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 22:35:50 PDT >"She's a Fatass" > >I met someone at the meat-mart >She was holding a pound of pork >But everyone was in a hurry so I purchased my beef and left. >We both said, "I really like meat," >Thanksgiving was a hit! >We ate so much that wouldn't get in bed so we both made a place on the >floor. > >Why did I pick her over anyone else? >How'd I get so fat? These pounds gain on other people >They shouldn't gain at all, in fact > >When you're in love with a vacuum >Does it mean you have to squeeze her body through the doorway? >Somewhere they're eating in a Mickey D's >Calling you a fatass, calling you the funniest things >I heard they had a weight program >When you lose, they pay you, it's so great >Sometimes I think I kind of like that and >Other times I think that there's no way to. > >Gonna ask for Richard Simmons >Gonna scream at the guy with the hair >The secretary says he's buisy runnin' in place, >Can I swing to the oldies for a while? >I found out she's an fatass >I don't think she knows it's true >I'm worried that something might happen to her >And it's somethin' called a heartattack. > >Why, why did I pick her over anyone else? >How'd I get so fat? These pounds gain on other people >They shouldn't gain at all > >When you're in love with a vacuum >Does it mean you have to squeeze her body through the doorway? >Somewhere they're eating in a Mickey D's >Calling you a fatass, calling you the funniest things >I heard they had a weight program >When you lose, they pay you, it's so great >Sometimes I think I kind of like that and >Other times I think that there's no way to. > >When you're in love with a vacuum >Does it mean you have to roll her body through the doorway? >Somewhere they're munchin' on some frenchfries >Calling you an fatass, calling you the rudest things you are very good at this....I am laughing so hard right now....:) good work...now try "Sleeping In The Flowers"....:) sarah faye needed the laugh badly ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980723053721.3070.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: Re: TMBG: She's an Angel PARODY: Speacial!!! Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 22:37:20 PDT >you are very good at this....I am laughing so hard right now....:) good >work...now try "Sleeping In The Flowers"....:) > I'm on it, but I won't have it done 'till tomorow. Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com "He wants to knock your house down... And he can't, because you're lying in the way of his bulldozer... I think we can come to some arrangement." --Ford Prefect, "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980723060748.16227.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: TMBG: Sleeping in the flowers, this is for Sarah Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 23:07:47 PDT Looks like I got it in early. This is for Sarah Faey (unsure of spelling, sorry it's wrong), for suporting my parodies. I guess I should explain this parody for CERTAIN people. It's about a freak who used to hide in shower rooms to avoit being seen because of his disfigurment. He desides that the FBI would know his girlfriend was lying if she said she hadn't seen him. So they flee to Asia and use fake accents. When the FBI track them their, he tells her to tell them he died. Without further ado... MY PARODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for sarah Sneaking in the showers I got a hole Inside of my head It don't affect my thinking Don't want to be known as the freak Who has a big whole inside his brain I could be sneaking in the showers I could lurk all afternoon You could say you never saw me But they'd know that isn't true We would visit a forign nation With just Japs and Goys around I could talk like I'm from England You could say you heard I drowned I had surgury Done by a drunk guy Disoriented, I must have looked And by mistake He spun my head round and round I could be sneaking in the showers I could lurk all afternoon You could say you never saw me But they'd know that isn't true We would visit a forign nation With just Japs and Goys around I could talk like I'm from England You could say you heard I drowned I could be sneaking in the showers I could lurk all afternoon You could say you never saw me But they'd know that isn't true We would visit a forign nation With just Japs and Goys around I could talk like I'm from England You could say you heard I drowned We'll be sneaking in the showers Tell my boss that I'm on fire We'll be sneaking in the showers Tell my boss that I'm on fire We'll be sneaking in the showers Tell my boss that I'm on fire We'll be sneaking in the showers Tell my boss that I'm on fire ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199807230644.CAA09735@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 01:44:30 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG/VF show information At 06:12 PM 7/22/98 -0400, you wrote: >Thanks to Deana for posting this to the Violent Femmes list. The show is >part of WVU's Fall Funfest. It is a way of welcoming the students back to >campus. It will be outdoors and FREE. They do not check student IDs so >it is open to the public. There will be MANY people there...possibly more >than 10,000....that's about it for now...Yea...it is on the campus of WVU > >Josh -- Excited about the Violent Giants/They Might Be Femmes concert :) And what is the date of this convert, and what is WVU? Thanks, Mitch ------------------------------ Message-Id: <9807230711.AA08459@willis.williams.edu> Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 03:18:29 +0100 From: beknowles@vaxsar.vassar.edu (Ben Knowles) Subject: TMBG: tmbgish: pogo & monopuff >uhm not unless all the kiddies doing it at the hanson concert are >tributing our johns... beleive me... TMBG fans were NOT the first people >to do it. it's been around since forever ago for all those people that >don't know how to dance. i'd like to contend that the "pogo" (or whatever you want to call it) is _the only_ truly appropriate dance for birdhouse in your soul. besides this, the prevalence of the "pogo" at tmbg shows does not necessarily reflect the overall dance abilities of tmbg's fans. it does, however, reflect an urge to move rhythmically and energetically to the music, while making a self-conscious effort not to bother one's neighbors. i'd like to therefore introduce the "pogo" dance as evidence that tmbg fans tend to be nice people. awww, ain't we sweet. personally, i enjoy an even more energetic hybrid of the "pogo," which probably lies somewhere in between jumping up and down and moshing. this dance tennds to occur when you're standing too close to the mosh pit, and have no choice but to push people around simply to keep others from pushing you around. this can be a lot of fun, especially if you can manage to keep the rhythm of the music. (please don't tell me about how your friend lost an eye cuz of some mosher with a turkey baster - i've heard it all before.) i asked this question before (twice i think) and still nobody has responded: WHAT ARE MONOPUFF CONCERTS LIKE? surely somebody on this list has seen them perform live. what's flans like? cooler? less cool? same? help me out here. btw, i still can't get over IFTS. man, listening to "creepy" at high volumes is akin to sex. go out and get yourself a copy if you haven't already. i've been making converts left and right - a guy that only listens to phish and floyd and the dead heard it last night and today at lunch was singing "once you've had | extra krispy | you'll never go back again..." lovin' it. oh, and everybody take a chill pill. i'm sick of reading flames. love and turkey baster moshing, nub (ben) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <9807230734.AA08701@willis.williams.edu> Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 03:40:55 +0100 From: beknowles@vaxsar.vassar.edu (Ben Knowles) Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #8-23 >>Also, they must own all the albums and singles, at least 3 bootlegs, > >should i start laughing now? > >take it easy, JOrdaN "whose prolly hit 200 TMBG bootlegs by now" does anyone else get seriously annoyed when JOrdaN goes on one of these little arrogant tmbg-fan-extraordinaire kicks? that wonderfully sarcasm-filled post to which she replied had a seriously valid point. try a little acceptance for a change, wonder woman. >didn't think so many people would object to what I did, and that's why I said >screw anyone else's opinion, but it looks like I was wrong (2 people is >actually more than I expected, and that isn't sarcasm) count me as Number Three then (don't know where i got the inspiration or how i found the words). i think you were way out of line there, bubba. take a valium or two before resorting to such asshole tactics. i think josh can be an annoying fuck too, but he's also very easy to ignore, so just deal. is this post a flame? i hope not, cuz i just bitched in my last one about how i was sick of reading flames. doh. nub ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19980723102040.007d6590@mail-in.keme.net> Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 10:20:40 +0100 From: the famous Uncle Squid Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg: the big, big vein popping in my head So, it's come to this that I, Uncle Squid has to once more step forth from the deepest depths of lurksville to bang a few heads together. Now before I start, I am making it clear that I by no means see myself as some big lawman or moral crusader on this list. Nor am I a peace loving hippy but I got myself a quibble. Whassup with all this aldolesant tention that's being throw around like there's no tommorrow!? I notice that is mostly us guys who seem to be flaming left, right and centre (which doesn't excuse the gals who do the same). Get with it! If someone says something on the list then you live with it. There is no way you'll change someone's opinion by being rude/sarcy/abusive, all it does is makes other annoyed with you for having a bitch about someone else. If you don't like some or what they say, delete their messages, after all if the person is as annoying as you think, the content isn't going to be tmbg related or vaguely interesting anyway is it! So listen people, just settle down will ya. I can't speak for every lurker or person on the list but it is getting unbearable all the petty squabbling going on between certain parties. I was always under the impression that everyone that liked tmbg were civilised, intelligent human beings but it seems that over the past few weeks I am being proved wrong. --USQ Colin Ellesley: The eastern counties authority on Carter USM/TMBG/Bennet/The Levellers Home Page: Http://www.keme.co.uk/~thelimes/trendsetting.html <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> STEEL? We have no Butter, but I ask you, would you rather have Butter or Guns? Shall we import Lard or Steel? Let me tell you, preparedness makes us powerful. Butter merely makes us fat. LARD? <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> ------------------------------ From: mjames@khserver.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9807231324.AA23415@khserver.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG/VF show information Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 09:24:40 -0400 (EDT) > At 06:12 PM 7/22/98 -0400, you wrote: > >Thanks to Deana for posting this to the Violent Femmes list. The show is > >part of WVU's Fall Funfest. It is a way of welcoming the students back to > >campus. It will be outdoors and FREE. They do not check student IDs so > >it is open to the public. There will be MANY people there...possibly more > >than 10,000....that's about it for now...Yea...it is on the campus of WVU > > > >Josh -- Excited about the Violent Giants/They Might Be Femmes concert :) > > And what is the date of this convert, and what is WVU? > > Thanks, > Mitch *Matt pulls out his banjo* That'd be Weest Virginia University, sonny, on the 25th of August. -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: echuss@notes.cc.bellcore.com Message-ID: <8525664A.00471AC9.00@notes950.cc.bellcore.com> Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 09:32:31 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Parody Madness!?! Thank you!!! Thank you!!! And this time, don't just ask questions, actually TELL me what you think!!!! Josh Buckland "OK, Josh!?!?" "That was very good!" "You have quite an UNUSUAL talent there, heh-heh" "Are you seeing a professional. I hear they can do wonders nowadays." "Whew!" Erik "Waiting for the worms to come....." - PF ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 08:28:14 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbgish: pogo & monopuff Message-ID: <19980723.083803.11254.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> >besides this, the prevalence of the "pogo" at tmbg shows does not >necessarily reflect the overall dance abilities of tmbg's fans. it >does, >however, reflect an urge to move rhythmically and energetically to the >music, while making a self-conscious effort not to bother one's >neighbors. ooh can we start the swing thread again? :P . i've been making converts left and right - a guy that only >listens >to phish and floyd and the dead heard it last night and today at lunch >was >singing "once you've had | extra krispy | you'll never go back >again..." >lovin' it heh... i converted two people at the further fest (with the "other ones") i'd totally suggest checking out their show if you're a dead fan... once you get over the fact that jerry's not there it's pretty damn cool. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html NEW SITE: http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html on KTCL: not listening... dubbing boots for you kiddies :) _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 08:37:51 -0600 Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #8-23 Message-ID: <19980723.083803.11254.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> >>>Also, they must own all the albums and singles, at least 3 bootlegs, >>should i start laughing now? >> >>take it easy, JOrdaN "whose prolly hit 200 TMBG bootlegs by now" >does anyone else get seriously annoyed when JOrdaN goes on one of >these >little arrogant tmbg-fan-extraordinaire kicks? that wonderfully >sarcasm-filled post to which she replied had a seriously valid point. >try a >little acceptance for a change, wonder woman. ah geez... i posted that laughing at myself... the fact that i have a little bit of an obsessive compulsive disorder here. not to make fun of her post which i thought did have some nice points to it. i was just, i dunno, sorry you all took it the wrong way.... just laugh at me and my problems and leave it at that. >>take >a valium or two before resorting to such asshole tactics. uhm... you know i could go off on a spiel about how much it sucks to actually be on valium but i'd prefer not to go off on another "alcoholic" thread. i won't dis on your viagra if you don't dis on my drugs. >is this post a flame? i hope not, cuz i just bitched in my last one >about >how i was sick of reading flames. doh. that's okay, i'm a hypocrite and a bitch too. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html NEW SITE: http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 11:05:43 -0500 (EST) From: Nub Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg: dead horses and their beatings Message-id: > >sarcasm-filled post to which she replied had a seriously valid point. > >try a > >little acceptance for a change, wonder woman. > > ah geez... i posted that laughing at myself... the fact that i have a > little bit of an obsessive compulsive disorder here. not to make fun of okay, i'll be gracious and apologize for jumping to conclusions. > >>take > >a valium or two before resorting to such asshole tactics. > > uhm... you know i could go off on a spiel about how much it sucks to > actually be on valium but i'd prefer not to go off on another "alcoholic" > thread. okay, fine. eat a nicotine patch. suck on a hash brownie. it was sort of a metaphor for "chill out, duude." ever the offensive one, nub ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Video comp Message-ID: <19980723.112741.8991.0.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 11:28:49 EDT On There website, there are videos for I Am Not Your Broom and the short version of Doctor Worm. Does anyone know if these are going to be on the new video compilation? And since I'm posting, has anyone been to www.dialasong.com? If that's up now, could that be why it's always busy when I call? Derek "Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age" _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980723120038.006975b0@130.127.28.14> Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 12:00:38 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Video comp At 11:28 AM 7/23/98 EDT, Derek A Klein wrote: >On There website, there are videos for I Am Not Your Broom and the short >version of Doctor Worm. Does anyone know if these are going to be on the >new video compilation? I don't think so. Both of those were recorded with a computer video camera called a Quickcam, and since those types of videos don't look good blown up to TV-resolution, I think those will probably be pretty much web site exclusive. >And since I'm posting, has anyone been to www.dialasong.com? If that's up >now, could that be why it's always busy when I call? There's nothing there at the moment...just a blank page. According to the MTV article, it'll be Sept. before it's up, although last time I checked, tmbg.com still had the launch set for mid-July, which would be now, of course. But their on-line stuff seldom is up when it's supposed to be. -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Played at Amusement Park Message-ID: <19980723.120652.8991.1.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 12:08:00 EDT I just had to express my delight on this one. My friend and I were at The Great Escape amusement park yesterday, me wearing the Drinking Birds shirt and him wearing the World Tour 2040 shirt. When we got on a ride called the Rotor, I was surprised to hear playing on the stereo Dead. Imagine my excitement! We went back to it later to hear We Want A Rock. Whoo hoo! After the ride was over, the guy operating the ride said that he was playing the tape for us, and that he thought TMBG really cool. It pays to show off your favorite band :) Derek "Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age" _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 23 Jul 98 15:51:44 EDT From: Laura Dambrosa Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #8-23 Message-ID: Ok- I post very little, so I know you're all gonna say- 'what right does she have to say anything at all?' Ahh, I'll say it anyway.. Well, I get the digest and usually just read it, usually it's simply amusing, but there are those tidbits of news I can't do without. Posts that bother me, I simply scan, and move on. there are all sorts in this world, and one learns to deal, Sure, some of the posts are annoying, some immature, but really, what's the harm done? What bothers me more than that ignorance displayed is the elitist, abusive and just plain mean attitude displayed by members of the list to get another thrown off. I really don't think it was your right. You could have tried a private email, asking him to refrain from cursing. I'm with the Inspector on this one. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <012a01bdb672$a11e81e0$0100000a@icefire> From: "Jen" Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG in Cleveland Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 12:46:45 -0700 >They're playing at this thing called Endfest in Cleveland ... >endfest is on saturday, august 29th (music starts at 12:30) and tickets >are $20 on sale saturday at 10am. Thank you, Jessie!!! Despite having missed Them by mere cosmic nanoseconds in both DC and Seattle this summer, I will get to see them in Cleveland! Yes! I am vindicated! So, are there going to be any other stark, raving loonies at the show, who I should look for? (Reply by private email.) - SpiderEyes, doing (as Trisha would say) the happy dance ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Total Request Message-ID: <19980723.155906.8991.0.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 16:00:09 EDT Well, I've decided to take charge of this, so it's time to figure out how I'm gonna do it. First though, let's vote for which video to request. You can e-mail any suggestions to me. Derek "Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age" _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 14:01:56 -0600 (MDT) From: Cyto Subject: Re: TMBG: Fw: Time Person of the Century Poll Message-ID: > write "2"). Justification: I dunno. Flans is better than Hitler. Okay, hopefully somewhere among the other 80 messages I have to sift through, I hope someone has already said this, but here goes anyway... This is not a poll asking who plays the most sophisticated head-bobbing music. It's a poll asking who the most influential person of this century was. I have to say that Hitler has *influenced* far more lives than John Flansburgh. Think about it. ------------------------------ From: CajunGram@aol.com Message-ID: <2f974882.35b79898@aol.com> Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 16:09:59 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: non-tmbg:don't look for dilbert_2000 any time soon on this list In a message dated 98-07-22 21:33:58 EDT, you write: <> << Now that she gave her little spiel, who's with me?!? I know you are, CTyner. Anyone else agree with what I did? Please? Anyone? >> Hmm... I sense a hint of hypocracy. While being flamed, you wanted to end the thread, but as soon as you got a word in edgewise, you were trying to rally support for your side... Graham "Who's oppinion in this matter isn't relevant" Amsden ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980723161228.0085fd00@csrlink.net> Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 16:12:28 -0400 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: Re: TMBG: Total Request At 04:00 PM 7/23/98 EDT, you wrote: >Well, I've decided to take charge of this, so it's time to figure out how >I'm gonna do it. First though, let's vote for which video to request. You >can e-mail any suggestions to me. Happened to be flipping through the other night, hit MTV. Happened to notice that the winning video had over 30,000 votes, I believe. Ain't gonna happen. Nice thought though. Dylan "I give Mike Leffel my vote" Flipse Dylan Flipse...one of them. - dflipse@csrlink.net Dylan's page is at http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ for now. I'll never see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed -They Might Be Giants, the coolest thing this side of Zaphod Beeblebrox. ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Total Request Message-ID: <19980723.161917.8991.0.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 16:20:19 EDT >Happened to be flipping through the other night, hit MTV. Happened to notice >that the winning video had over 30,000 votes, I believe. Ain't gonna happen. >Nice thought though. Huh. Dammit, maybe we can at least shoot for number 10. I hope. Derek "Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age" _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 15:51:16 -0500 From: The Pope Subject: Re: TMBG: Total Request >Happened to be flipping through the other night, hit MTV. Happened to >notice that the winning video had over 30,000 votes, I believe. Ain't gonna >happen. Nice thought though. Emails are not the problem. I'm sure we can get over 30,000 votes not prob. It's the phone calls that'll be the problem. When we do this we need everyone and have everyone get there friends and there friends and so on and so on to flood MTV with email votes/phone calls. It is possible. If everyone sent in one phone call and one email that helps. I think we could do it. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 14:59:28 -0600 (MDT) From: Cyto Subject: Re: non-TMBG: grammer [sic] Message-ID: On Wed, 22 Jul 1998 OverpassX@aol.com wrote: > << You can't consult a dictionary for grammar. But you CAN > check a dictionary for "grammer." The word. Jesus Christ...if you're > going to correct other's english, could you at least spell words > correctly? >> > Ummmm.... grammar is spelled G -R -A -M - M - A- R..... dumb-ass.. at least > look it up before you bash some one for spelling it wrong.... > Okay... Before you bash someone for bashing someone for spelling something wrong, at least notice that the middle bashee did spell it correctly. And regarding someone else's post on flames being no fun... Sometime's it's just more fun to be an asshole. I don't think anyone really expects to change anyone else's opinions. And feel free to flame me if I'm wrong about that... But don't expect me to change my mind. Oh, and I'm David, but I haven't come up with a creative tag line yet. My apologies. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35B7A82B.474A@rica.net> Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 17:16:27 -0400 From: Joey Groah Subject: Re: TMBG: Fw: Time Person of the Century Poll Cyto wrote: > > > write "2"). Justification: I dunno. Flans is better than Hitler. > > Okay, hopefully somewhere among the other 80 messages I have to sift > through, I hope someone has already said this, but here goes anyway... > This is not a poll asking who plays the most sophisticated head-bobbing > music. It's a poll asking who the most influential person of this century > was. I have to say that Hitler has *influenced* far more lives than John > Flansburgh. Think about it. Oh no, smoke...coming out... of ears.... my puzzler... hurts... Hitler tried to play a catchy beat and thank God people were around to escort him off the dance floor. Again :It's Time magazine. I wasn't being serious. It's the internet. It's Hitler. It's sad to think that's all we have to show for person of the century: a bad painter that INFLUENCED people by destroying lives, trying to wipe out a race of people. Sure he was influential, I never meant to imply otherwise. I just read a column about reminding people and new generations about the Holocaust. "Never forget." Chills my blood to say that, to think about what happened. I crave someone more hopeful, with far-reaching effects and just better for person of the century (which, incidentally, won't pass until the last day of 2000. Hey that's like Josh and his e-mail address! Apparently I is none too smart, kick me off!). Not Hitler. Not wrasslers. You're right though, Cyto, it ain't Flans either. Thanks for helpin' them rusty gears to turn. Guess I'll *taking finger out of nose* go watch me some TV and read 'People.' Joey, had a neat dream about TMBG where TMBG and me and my mom made oatmeal cookies and went on an adventure just like the Goonies! Creative, huh? ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot@aol.com Message-ID: <7c8f145.35b7aaef@aol.com> Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 17:28:14 EDT Subject: NON-TMBG: Spelling Actually, one should not say that just because someone is poor at spelling, that they are stupid. In fact, many times poor (or phonetical (sp?)) spelling all the time is a sign of higher intellegence (I'm not talking about spelling cat with a k here, but within reason). Odd spellings are simply memorization. Memorization is fine, however, those who are truly intellegent will take what they know to develop more complex stuff....Spelling can't expand beyond itself...(Don't say reading & writing because proper spelling is not a base for good writing, merely something that makes it look better when it's all finished)...I can't even think of how spelling is all too relevent in an age of spell checks & pocket dictionaries....ok, my 2 cents...(not sure who made the point originally...) jason "all albums, couple singles (the DLS cassette, too), some bootlegs, other stuff too" glastetter ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Total Request Message-ID: <19980723.173900.8991.0.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 17:40:12 EDT >Emails are not the problem. I'm sure we can get over 30,000 votes not prob. >It's the phone calls that'll be the problem. When we do this we need everyone >and have everyone get there friends and there friends and so on and so on to >flood MTV with email votes/phone calls. It is possible. If everyone sent in one >phone call and one email that helps. I think we could do it. Everyone got that? We need you, and your friends, and your friend's friends to vote. We have yet to decide on a date and song. So far we have one vote for Don't Let's Start. Anyone else have an opinion? Derek "Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age" _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980723214558.25473.rocketmail@send1d.yahoomail.com> Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 14:45:58 -0700 (PDT) From: Malcolm MacTavish Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Spelling Happyfroot@aol.com wrote: > Actually, one should not say that just because someone is poor at spelling, > that they are stupid. In fact, many times poor (or phonetical (sp?)) spelling > all the time is a sign of higher intellegence (I'm not talking about spelling > cat with a k here, but within reason). Odd spellings are simply memorization. > Memorization is fine, however, those who are truly intellegent will take what > they know to develop more complex stuff....Spelling can't expand beyond > itself...(Don't say reading & writing because proper spelling is not a base > for good writing, merely something that makes it look better when it's all > finished)...I can't even think of how spelling is all too relevent in an age > of spell checks & pocket dictionaries....ok, my 2 cents...(not sure who made > the point originally...) 2 cents is about the right valuation. Poor spelling is a sign of higher intelligence? Even if one accepts that spelling skills are not "relevent," surely reading more will inevitably make one both smarter and a better speller. There is a direct and clear correlation, like it or not. Your suggestion that people who can't spell are using that memory storage space for something else--logarithm tables? The birthplaces of the U.S. presidents?--is literally laughable. Bad spelling is not an inerrant signal of stupidity--you're right about that--but all stupid people spell poorly. It is not only memorization that goes into good spelling, after all (which is not to say that people with good memories aren't thereby smarter--they are, quite obviously). Spelling is also improved by an understanding of etymology, a knowledge of other languages, a large vocabulary, and an ability to spot the various patterns in English words. If language skills, a good memory, and pattern recognition aren't part of "intelligence," then how the fuck are you defining it? As the ability to lift large sacks of corn flour? As for why good spelling is important--well, the point of language is communication. For two people to communicate, they need to be using the same code. And can I ask a question? Why is it that all you people who claim spell-checkers make proper spelling obsolete never seem to run anything you write *through* a spell-checker? M. M'T. _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: <3cb2e387.35b7c200@aol.com> Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 19:06:38 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Total Request In a message dated 98-07-23 17:46:10 EDT, you write: << >Emails are not the problem. I'm sure we can get over 30,000 votes not prob. >It's the phone calls that'll be the problem. When we do this we need everyone >and have everyone get there friends and there friends and so on and so on to >flood MTV with email votes/phone calls. It is possible. If everyone sent in one >phone call and one email that helps. I think we could do it. Everyone got that? We need you, and your friends, and your friend's friends to vote. We have yet to decide on a date and song. So far we have one vote for Don't Let's Start. Anyone else have an opinion? >> I say we save our energy to do this for a day during the glorious week when the "Dr.Worm" video first hits the airwaves. Kay ------------------------------ From: DrWormX@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 19:11:17 EDT Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg:I am a god-damn jack-ass Obviously my experiment worked perfectly! I obviously didn't really kick Josh off of hotmail, or he wouldn't be posting. I just said I did to see your reaction, and obviously it was a negative one, from most. Don't you all feel dumb now! Okay, on a serious note, I sent a letter of apology to Josh, telling him that I apologized for attempting to kick him off of hotmail, and that if he would stop being a jackass, so would I, yadda yadda yadda. I apologize to all, for I gave into peer pressure, and it really screwed me over. And even worse, I defended myself in a "jack-assy" manner (I sure like using that word), being a hypocritical, insensitive well...jackass. Anyway...It appears that my plan backfired, and I regret even attempting to do it. Okay so now by the following statement, I should be reaccepted into the community of listies, and I should be worshiped as a god...I mean...uh...not hated. Wow, my first negative encounter in three years. Well, I guess there's a first for everything.... And as I always say: "blame it on pez addiction." Now I am going to kill myself, bye. Matt--blame it on pez addiction DrWormX@tmbg.org I'm not as messed up as I'd like to be- Hearing Aid ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980723231557.5352.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: TMBG: Re: my apologies Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 16:15:56 PDT >hey josh: my apologies for "trying" to kick you off of hotmail. One >suggestion, if you stop being a jackass, I'll stop being one back. peace Hey! From a pro-jack-ass to a wannabe (and damn near close to succeeding) jack-ass, s**t happens, and gettin' pissed does about as much as throwin' a measuring tape into the Bottomless Pit. I might be madder'n' hell if you succeeded in throwing me off. But let's face it, you're a damn nice fellow, but rour intelect level caused you to do SOMETHIN' wrong with the letter you sent to hotmail.(probably wrong e-addy). But, hey, we're all dumb-asses one time or another(some more than others). As I always say, "If you're gonna cry about it, at LEAST make sure the other guy's cryin' first"!!! Josh "She Blinded Mith With Sirens" Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980723232908.11750.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: Re: TMBG: non-tmbg:I am a god-damn jack-ass Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 16:29:07 PDT >Obviously my experiment worked perfectly! I obviously didn't really kick Josh >off of hotmail, or he wouldn't be posting. I just said I did to see your >reaction, and obviously it was a negative one, from most. Don't you all feel >dumb now! > > >Now I am going to kill myself, bye. > Well, that WAS funny, but there was a flaw in your joke. If you were a true jackass (note: DUMB-ASSES are a lower level than jack-asses. HINT HINT), you'd notice that suicide comes BEFORE the lame excuse. DUHH. Josh "I'm even a Jack-ass, in my own mind" Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com "He wants to knock your house down... And he can't, because you're lying in the way of his bulldozer... I think we can come to some arrangement." --Ford Prefect, "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980723233356.15784.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: TMBG: Are they watching us??? Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 16:33:55 PDT Well? Are they? This may have been mentioned before, but has anyone ever wondered weather or not one of the Johns (or both) are ocasional floaters on this list? They could be! Don't say it's stupid, 'cause you've know way of proving me wrong. Think about it! Do They get off on our antics? Are we ants in their farm? Josh "So paranoid, he makes Mulder look Jewish" Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com "He wants to knock your house down... And he can't, because you're lying in the way of his bulldozer... I think we can come to some arrangement." --Ford Prefect, "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980723233639.18835.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: my apologies Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 16:36:38 PDT > >thanks for the words of wisdom > Naw! Thems was jest Jakased ramblins!!! (nort) Josh "Wish I were on He-Haw" Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com "He wants to knock your house down... And he can't, because you're lying in the way of his bulldozer... I think we can come to some arrangement." --Ford Prefect, "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980723234440.21315.rocketmail@send1e.yahoomail.com> Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 16:44:40 -0700 (PDT) From: Malcolm MacTavish Subject: Re: TMBG: Are they watching us??? Josh Buckland wrote: > > Well? Are they? This may have been mentioned before, but has anyone ever > wondered weather or not one of the Johns (or both) are ocasional > floaters on this list? They could be! Don't say it's stupid, 'cause > you've know way of proving me wrong. And yet it manages to be stupid anyway. Actually, making non-testable assertions is one of the primary symptoms of advanced stupidity. M. M'T. _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980724001434.28093.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Jason F." Subject: Re: TMBG: Are they watching us??? Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 17:14:33 PDT >has anyone ever >wondered weather or not one of the Johns (or both) are ocasional >floaters on this list? Don't be silly, of course we're not watching the list...I mean THEY'RE not watching the list...heh...heh...heh...*sigh* anyway... --Jason-- "Hot Cha, where are you? Everybody's eyes are closed." -They Might Be Giants ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #8-24 *****************************