Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #8-28 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 8, Number 28 Tuesday, 28 July 1998 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Edison Museum Performance Re: NON TMBG: Moxy Fruvous Re: NON TMBG: Moxy Fruvous Re: NON TMBG: Moxy Fruvous Re: NON TMBG: Moxy Fruvous Re: NON TMBG: Moxy Fruvous Re: TMBG: Are they watching us??? TMBG: THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS CURES DISEASE :) Re: NON TMBG: Moxy Fruvous Non-TMBG: a call for help from Pittsburgh people Re: NON TMBG: Moxy Fruvous Re: NON TMBG: Moxy Fruvous TMBG: another source in the Moxy Fruvous debate: Re: NON TMBG: Moxy Fruvous Re: NON TMBG: Moxy Fruvous Re: TMBG: what jamie had to say / C_n_d_ Re: NON TMBG: Moxy Fruvous Re: NON TMBG: Moxy Fruvous Re: NON TMBG: Moxy Fruvous Re: NON TMBG: Moxy Fruvous Re: NON TMBG: Moxy Fruvous Re: NON TMBG: Moxy Fruvous Re: TMBG: here we go again--whatever happened to zappa???? oh, yeah, he's de Re: NON TMBG: Moxy Fruvous TMBG: NOT REALLY TMBG Re: NON TMBG: Moxy Fruvous TMBG: Moxy vs. TMBG Re: TMBG: TMBG @ Summer Camp Subject: Re: TMBG: Put on KRock! Subject: Re: Subject: Re: TMBG: Are they watching us??? TMBG: John Flansburgh in the Time poll Re: TMBG: John Flansburgh in the Time poll Non-TMBG: Pop songs are easy? TMBG: Dial-A-Song is back! TMBG: A NON TMBG Accident TMBG: Do the Johns read this? TMBG: radio stations TMBG: OMLT PLEA - Serious Re: Subject: Re: Subject: Re: TMBG: Are they watching us??? Re: TMBG: OMLT PLEA - Serious Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <3.0.5.16.19980726110548.11870018@entropy.muc.muohio.edu> Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 11:05:48 From: Chris Combs Subject: Re: TMBG: Edison Museum Performance >I thought the version on tmbg.com was from the Edisongs LP? I haven't >listened to the streaming Quicktime files, but I did snag the 18 meg WAV >file in that directory, and it sounds way too hi-fi to be part of the >Edison Sessions. I did see that there were 2 .MOV files in the /sound/ >directory...was one from Edisongs and the other part of the Edison Sessions? The Edisongs LP version is the edison.wav (about 2.5 megs). The ones called edisonmuseum.wav (and the mov files) are from the Edison Museum session (all are the same I believe, but varying quality of compression) - you can tell these by the giveaway tuba. >Also, although the Edison page only mentions those 3 songs, I thought they >also recorded Maybe I Know and...something else. >http://academic.uofs.edu/student/ck8/ mentions Maybe I Know... This much I can't comment on. I only know what I know. Maybe I know something less than I did before. >Re: making money off of something like the Edison EP: I said this in my >last post, but I like to belabor points. ;-) We're all pretty die-hard >fans, right? If TMBG released an Edison Sessions EP through the Info Club, >most of us would buy it...so why don't they do it? Seriously, even though >Hello fell through, TMBG could release all sorts of stuff...maybe on a >quarterly EP... I mean, Dial-A-Songs, demos, the Edison Sessions, studio >outtakes, leftovers...all stuff we'd love to have, would be willing to pay >for, and have already been recorded, so there wouldn't be too much >overhead. I've tried to suggest this to the Johns whenever they're >chattin' on-line, but the moderators for those chats tend to pick questions >about pro-wrestling and 'who's your favorite Spice Girl?'... ::sighs:: But you have to look at numbers. Even if everybody on this list bought the record twice, the sales would not be substantial. On the Smelly Tongues list (for my absolutely favourite band, The Residents), a lot of people seem to think that it would be worthwhile for them to release some of their early, unreleased work (which happens to be four mysterious albums). But there are only 400 people on the list, and the fanbase worldwide is probably less than 5,000. The Residents love their fans, and whenever they make a new record, they hardly make any money, assuming they break even at all. If a record is not going to help, it won't happen. The best option I see is to make the Edison Sessions EP a bonus disc (perhaps for the Australian Import version of Factory Showroom). Otherwise, I'm going to count my blessings because I've heard two of the songs. /---------------------------------------------------------------\ | Chris Combs aka "It falls upon the living | | Piglet Goat Boy to live among the dead" | | http://muc.muohio.edu/~goatboy/ -Brian Dewan | \---------------------------------------------------------------/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 11:23:35 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Moxy Fruvous Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 26-Jul-98 Re: NON TMBG: Moxy Fruvous by Malcolm MacTavish@yahoo. > In terms of technique. But, as everyone understands, a musician can be > considered great without being a master of his instrument, as Keith > Richards will tell you. There is a performer-technician distinction > here that you aren't observing. You can't simply say "Well, Flans > isn't a great guitarist because he can't tune a Fender Strat in a > hurricane or play diminished-7th chords behind his back." Discussions > about technique have their place, but I am not and never was talking > about pure technique here. ahem. you said: >If Dave and Mike really are very good guitarists, it doesn't show up in >any of the MF records I've heard sounds like you're talking about technique there. and if you're not, then you cannot claim that they are good or bad guitarists in a "listenability" sense because that is subjective. Technical skill, however, is measurable. > And you're not? I'm sorry, but you're scrambling desperately for a > moral high ground that is just not there. In attempting to curry > favour with the reading audience by accusing me of having a "closed > mind," you are abandoning the actual argument. I have not accused you > of anything similar--I respect your views enough to assume that they > are honestly held and subject to change. "Have an open mind" is an > escape hatch that any halfwit can trigger at any time. Try sticking to > the subject instead. Sticking to the subject? The subject seems to be "I like Moxy Fruvous, and they're better musicians than TMBG" vs. "I hate Moxy Fruvous, anyone could play or sing their songs." I think my point here is perfectly valid within the realm of this discussion. I think I'm going to print out your messages and take them with me on Wednesday... see what they think... :) In making your argument, you do not make any clear argument as to *why* you don't like Moxy Fruvous other than that they have lost popuularity in Canada, and you weren't "blown away" by them in concert. Additionally, your argument skills are weak - those who resort to insulting the other people in a discussion, or insulting the topic of discussion, do not know how to properly make their point otherwise. > _Tres elegant_. My denial that I have a "closed mind" is proof that I > have a closed mind. Why don't you ask me when I stopped beating my wife? I didn't say that. I said that you are demonstrating nicely that closed minded people tend to not admit it, not the other way around. I already believed you to be closed minded on this subject, and the fact that you will not admit it is support for my argument that closed minded people tend to not acknowledge that they are. However, if you had shown no prior evidence to being closed minded, and said "I am not closed minded," that would, in no way, be proof of anything, other than that you don't consider yourself closed minded. Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Everything sticks until it goes away, * This space inadvertently And the truth is we don't know anything." -TMBG * left blank. ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 11:36:18 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Moxy Fruvous Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 26-Jul-98 Re: NON TMBG: Moxy Fruvous by Malcolm MacTavish@yahoo. > Hrmm...you've got me here; I mostly see these groups busking on the > street or on the bill at the Edmonton Folk Festival. Harmony still > isn't hip again yet. The past is rife with such groups--Crosby, > Stills, Nash & Young; the Mamas & the Papas; the Lovin' Spoonful. You > might want to check out Great Big Sea if you're into this sort of > thing--here in Canada they're Moxy Fruvous '98, though without the Moxy Fruvous '98? Hmmm, I thought Moxy Fruvous were Moxy Fruvous '98... and so what if harmony isn't "hip?" that doesn't mean they aren't good at it. > The label "folk" covers most of the pseudo-categories you just named. > Or am I wrong--folk groups aren't noted for their warm multi-part > harmonies, their embrace of international styles, their humour, and > their political commitment? These are practically defining > characteristics of the genre. I mean, it *sounds* like you're saying, > among other things, "Yeah, see, they're different from most folk > groups 'cause they're left-wing. They did an anti-war song and > everything!" actually, folk singers are traditionally known for basic guitar strumming, scratchy vocals, and political messages that no one really wants to hear. :) how would you classify the Beatles? folk? not nearly. Listen to Moxy Fruvous' songs Get in the Car and The Incredible Medicine Show. Very reminiscent of the most distinctively non-folk Beatles. someone once described Moxy Fruvous to me as "an a capella band with instruments." as stated by the Moxy Fruvous FAQ (http://www.fruvous.com/news/faq.html): >They've been playing together as a group since about 1990 and >are known for their experimentation, dabbling in genres from >barbershop quartet to grunge, retro rock to rap, ballads to Saturday >morning cartoons. > True, and I like a lot of genre musicians; it's a question of whether > you are trapped by the genre or you transcend it. and you claim that Moxy Fruvous are trapped by a genre that those who have heard them can't even decide on? > I can only refer people to Moxy Fruvous's music, and advise that they > shouldn't spend any money on it until they've gone some way toward > making up their minds. My cuts against MF may have made me "look like > a bozo in [your eyes]," but they can only be judged by listening to > the music; they're not irrelevant, weird, or wrong on their face. well, I'd agree with that for *any* band. I won't spend money on something unless I know I might listen to it a reasonable amount. And I'd say that's probably how most of us operate. On a trip to Philadelphia in September, 1997, with 6 passengers in my van, all college students, someone brought a CD player and some CDs, one of which was Bargainville. I heard it, and was pretty impressed by it. So I bought it at my next opportunity. As far as TMBG goes, I spent no money until I'd heard all their albums on tapes borrowed from friends (it was only 4 albums at the time, so it was only two tapes) Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Everything sticks until it goes away, * This space inadvertently And the truth is we don't know anything." -TMBG * left blank. ------------------------------ From: OverpassX@aol.com Message-ID: <51d27723.35bb64f2@aol.com> Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 13:18:41 EDT Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Moxy Fruvous << TMBG is completely unique and their music has some testosterone in it. It makes you want to get out of your chair and shake your ass about like an orangutan. Sometimes, it also makes you want to cry, or sing, or laugh your head off. >> Have you been to any TMBG shows lately?? I love the band and I'm sorry for saying this but boring boring boring.... I've been to many and they are just SO predictable ... I've never cried or even been remotely moved by one of their songs, or gotten anything out of them except "gee, how witty.... quirky quirky quirky"....unique? That is definately a matter of opinion.... <> To me I can tell them right away..... I think they are very individual... I haven't found this recognition "stamp" for TMBG..... <> And in closing, who are you, you arrogant little shit? I can guarantee many of us are higher educated, have more knowledge of music, and have experienced more in life than you.... this condescendance and arrogance is totally unjustified.... didn't you just join the list about a week ago? ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980726183232.13182.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "VoVat Quetzalcoatlus" Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Moxy Fruvous Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 11:32:31 PDT >Have you been to any TMBG shows lately?? I love the band and I'm sorry for >saying this but boring boring boring.... I've been to many and they are just >SO predictable ... I've never cried or even been remotely moved by one of >their songs, or gotten anything out of them except "gee, how witty.... quirky >quirky quirky"....unique? That is definately a matter of opinion.... Are you referring exclusively to live shows, or to the albums as well? I have only been to one TMBG show, and that was over a year ago, but I have heard some live recordings, and I've noticed a tendency of the band to be silly (sometimes predictably so) when performing live. There's nothing wrong with silliness, but the album versions tend to add some emotion to the songs (while not totally giving up the silliness). This is understandable, though. It's probably hard to be as emotional when straining to be heard by screaming crowds. Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: OPERCMM@RoseVC.Rose-Hulman.Edu Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 13:22:03 -0500 (EST) Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Moxy Fruvous Message-id: <01IZUX60M8OW8ZILRS@RoseVC.Rose-Hulman.Edu> >OPERCMM@RoseVC.Rose-Hulman.Edu wrote: >> > Could you do me a favor and name some more four or five piece folk >> groups with four part harmony? Personally, I really enjoy this >> style of music and would love to support these musicians. I also >> know many many other people who would also enjoy this music. >Hrmm...you've got me here; I mostly see these groups busking on the >street or on the bill at the Edmonton Folk Festival. Harmony still >isn't hip again yet. The past is rife with such groups--Crosby, >Stills, Nash & Young; the Mamas & the Papas; the Lovin' Spoonful. You >might want to check out Great Big Sea if you're into this sort of >thing--here in Canada they're Moxy Fruvous '98, though without the >humour, as far as I can tell. Canada's Barenaked Ladies also looked >like going in this direction with their first hit single, but evolved >in a more pop direction and put the lead singer out front, where a >lead singer belongs. (Insert smiley here.) I don't understand what you mean by "that direction". I really enjoy BNL and I have for man years. I also support GBS, especially as they make an attempt into the States with Rant & Roar. But GBS has been popular in Canada for awhile, not just '98. Maybe mainstream is pushing them more, but they've been large in the east for awhile. But GBS is Celtic music. The only thing they have in common with Fruvous is the excitement level on stage and the rich harmonies, both things I enjoy in a band. When you say BNL's first hit single, do you mean $1,000,000? The Fruvous elements in that song are the humor and the emphasis on the vocals. Well, that and Fruvous sings backup on it *grin*. To me, BNL is a straight-ahead pop band with a little more musical depth than most pop bands. That's why I like them. They also put on a damn good live show. I'll also plug the Arrogant Worms here. If you are gonna be at the Ottawa Folk Festival, check them out. Very good. Plus a plug for the Nields, another really great group from Massachusettes. >> I find it incredibly odd that you pidgeonhole Fruvous's music into >> a category so readily. I've never seen that before. Most people >> have a hard time placing Moxy Fruvous into a category. If I heard >> Get in the Car, I figure Fruvous for a straight ahead pop band (I >> don't use the word pop here as a band thing - more as a style). If I >> heard King of Spain and the live Gotta Get a Message to You, I >> figure them an acapella group. If I heard No No Raja, I'd figure them >> a world music group. If I heard Johnny Saucep'n or Kid's Song, I'd >> figure them to be a satirical humor group. If I heard Today's The >> Day That We Fight Back, I'd figure they'd be a politically motivated >> group. Michigan Militia has a sorta funk/hip-hop feel kinda like >> the new Mono Puff album does. >The label "folk" covers most of the pseudo-categories you just named. >Or am I wrong--folk groups aren't noted for their warm multi-part >harmonies, their embrace of international styles, their humour, and >their political commitment? These are practically defining >characteristics of the genre. I mean, it *sounds* like you're saying, >among other things, "Yeah, see, they're different from most folk >groups 'cause they're left-wing. They did an anti-war song and >everything!" Well, I don't do labels well. Two years ago, folk to me was white male with acoustic guitar singing about a story. Now, I'll toss a whole lot more elements into that because I go to folk festivals and enjoy people like Vance Gilbert, Salamander Crossing, Natalie MacMaster. The angle I was going at (that you misinterpreted as "see, they're different from most folk acts 'cause they are left-wing"), is that Fruvous covers a wide spectrum of musical styles. They can be an above-average acapella group. They can be a decent pop band. They can write upbeat hiphop/funk and blues. They mix these elements together to make Moxy Fruvous. They aren't the best at any of these styles, but the fact that they play the whole field makes them incredible musicians in my eyes. That and they pay attention to the needs of their audience and genuinely care about their fans. That is what makes Moxy Fruvous special to me and what sets them apart from the four yobs from the musicians local. >> I agree TMBG is very original in its music. They don't write >> music to styles, they right music to moods so they fit the >> lyrics. But that is not the only valid way to write music. >> Just because you write music to a style doesn't invalidate your >> music. >True, and I like a lot of genre musicians; it's a question of whether >you are trapped by the genre or you transcend it. You can explore in a genre without being trapped by it. There is a place in music for both types of musicians. >I can only refer people to Moxy Fruvous's music, and advise that they >shouldn't spend any money on it until they've gone some way toward >making up their minds. My cuts against MF may have made me "look like >a bozo in [your eyes]," but they can only be judged by listening to >the music; they're not irrelevant, weird, or wrong on their face. And that first sentence is EXACTLY why I started replying to you. Please don't refer people to music and advise them away from it. State why you don't enjoy it and beef you have with it. But still encourage people to make up their minds for themselves. I can only refer to Moxy Fruvous's music and advise they pick up Live Noise to check them out. I've spent thousands of dollars supporting this band, travelling to very far away places, buying albums, T-shirts, stickers and such because their music hits me where it counts. I've met hundreds of fru-friends following the band and I've found a warm online community at alt.music.moxy-fruvous that is a joy to be a part of. If you see Bargainville or Live Noise in the used bin at your local CD store, I'd bet the $4 chance you are taking will pay off more than not. I can't guarantee it. Moxy Fruvous is not for everyone. But try it, you may like it. There are a lot of people here who do. - Chad ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 13:15:24 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Are they watching us??? Message-ID: <19980726.143404.3382.0.gray42@juno.com> On Thu, 23 Jul 1998 20:35:14 EDT TerryTMBG@aol.com writes: > >By the way, to actually answer the original question, I wouldn't be >surprised >if they've checked out a digest or two to see what it's like, but I >doubt even >the TMBG content would really interest them. > >-Terry- heh heh, what would John and John think of the dream web page, and all those crazy dream stories? Mysterio Gal (yeah I know this is a late response but I've been away for the past couple of days *phew 96 messages to go*) "0113212108 0921252526 05031822 26082122 062613 042610" -- Claire (w/ credit to Michael Crichton) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 14:05:10 -0400 Subject: TMBG: THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS CURES DISEASE :) Message-ID: <19980726.143404.3382.1.gray42@juno.com> Yesterday I was feeling miserable and tired. I was nautious and had another migrane. I was on the road w/ my best buddy, and he knew that the situation called for a lttle of Dr. John's medication. He popped in his special compilation tape that I gave him a long time ago (a mix I had gotten off this very list fall of 97') And there in the car I sat, dizzy and singing, and having a Hell of a good time. It woke me up, and I had continuous energy till 3:00 A.M.! Thanx TMBG! Mysterio Gal (fellow Subgenius & Happy Mutant) "small... black... and rectangular! Oh I see them everywhere, do you hear me? Everywhere!" --Mrs. Rectangular--Negativland--Escape from Noise ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 14:56:26 -0400 (EDT) From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Moxy Fruvous > ><< TMBG is completely unique and their music has some testosterone in it. > It makes you want to get out of your chair and shake your ass about > like an orangutan. Sometimes, it also makes you want to cry, or sing, > or laugh your head off. >> > >Have you been to any TMBG shows lately?? I love the band and I'm sorry for >saying this but boring boring boring.... I've been to many and they are just >SO predictable ... I've never cried or even been remotely moved by one of >their songs, or gotten anything out of them except "gee, how witty.... quirky >quirky quirky"....unique? That is definately a matter of opinion.... Funny, I was about to compliment him on his awesome description of TMBG. That's what they do to me; it's downright impossible for me to sit still when I'm listening to their music, and at a concert... Let me put it this way: my legs were cramped, I had gum all over one shoe, and my friend Rocky kept stomping on my feet and banging his elbow repeatedly into my skull. But at the last TMBG show I attended, I pogoed and screamed right up until the very end. As for emotional involvement, were you around for the big discussion about "They'll Need a Crane" a month or two ago? TMBG's songs can say a lot of things to a lot of people, and they've made me cry ("She's An Angel," "They'll Need a Crane," "The End of the Tour"), laugh ("Shoehorn With Teeth," "Stand On Your Own Head," about a million others), and dance wildly around my room pogoing with abandon. TMBG is unique. I've never heard another band like them. And I have a question - are you purposefully trying to make the list population irate by repeating the "g" word? Kirsten -- [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] "And she said losing love is like a window in your heart Everybody sees you're blown apart..." - Paul Simon "Graceland" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ From: Monotreme3@aol.com Message-ID: <8ba5da56.35bb7f69@aol.com> Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 15:11:36 EDT Subject: Non-TMBG: a call for help from Pittsburgh people Well with all this talk from Pittsburgh folks about Dr. Worm on their stations, I was wondering if any of you knew anything about any kind of body building contest there. In Pittsburgh, I mean. My brother is Mr. Teen Georgia and he went to Pittsburgh to compete nationally. But I can't find anything about the contest on the internet anywhere. And nothing was on TV either. It's kinda annoying. So... if you know anything, please let me know. -Carey, who always uses "non-tmbg" when necessary And for some TMBG content, I'm in Atlanta and so my friend Jacob and I are gonna try and get together and get 99x to play Dr. Worm. And if they say they don't have it then we'll yell at them and then turn them in to the record company for having sold it. Of course, that would start some kind of wide scale investigation and screw over almost every other radio station in America, including the one Jacob works at... where... that doesn't happen, of course. "It's not for sale!" ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980726191403.15302.rocketmail@send1a.yahoomail.com> Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 12:14:03 -0700 (PDT) From: Malcolm MacTavish Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Moxy Fruvous Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > In making your argument, you do not make any clear argument as to *why* > you don't like Moxy Fruvous other than that they have lost popularity > in Canada, and you weren't "blown away" by them in concert. I also referred to their unimpressive wit, the blandness of their music, and the fact that they are really not doing anything that we haven't heard before. These things are mostly philosophically ostensive--don't blame me for not being able to explain *why* the music is bland; to me, it just is. > Additionally, your argument skills are weak - those who resort to > insulting the other people in a discussion, or insulting the topic of > discussion, do not know how to properly make their point otherwise. But it's OK, of course, for you to call me "closed-minded." All righty then. And tell me--how should I argue that Moxy Fruvous is not that great without somehow insulting them? M. M'T. _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980726191553.16068.rocketmail@send1a.yahoomail.com> Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 12:15:53 -0700 (PDT) From: Malcolm MacTavish Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Moxy Fruvous OverpassX@aol.com wrote: > And in closing, who are you, you arrogant little shit? I can guarantee many > of us are higher educated, have more knowledge of music, and have experienced > more in life than you.... this condescendance and arrogance is totally > unjustified.... didn't you just join the list about a week ago? It's "more highly educated," dear. M. M.'T. _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 15:19:28 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: TMBG: another source in the Moxy Fruvous debate: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/style/music/features/fruvous0727.htm?music lede=y a very good review of the band before their two upcoming concerts in the D.C. area. there are a lot of comments from Jian Ghomeshi, the band's drummer, sometimes guitarist, and vocalist... not to mention most politically vocal... and the article's author obviously did his research, too. all the songs he quoted are from albums unavailable in the U.S. :) Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Everything sticks until it goes away, * This space inadvertently And the truth is we don't know anything." -TMBG * left blank. ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 15:34:54 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Moxy Fruvous Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 26-Jul-98 Re: NON TMBG: Moxy Fruvous by Malcolm MacTavish@yahoo. > I also referred to their unimpressive wit, the blandness of their > music, and the fact that they are really not doing anything that we > haven't heard before. These things are mostly philosophically > ostensive--don't blame me for not being able to explain *why* the > music is bland; to me, it just is. fine. but don't say they're not good musicians. > But it's OK, of course, for you to call me "closed-minded." All righty > then. And tell me--how should I argue that Moxy Fruvous is not that > great without somehow insulting them? it is an insult to say that a band sucks. It is not an insult to say that you don't think they are very good. (I'm not sure you ever insulted them directly, but you compared some of our arguments to "an escape hatch that any halfwit can trigger at any time," and "the warcry of the lameass.") saying someone is closed minded is not something that is offensive or insulting - it's something to make you think. and think about how you're just spouting off about something without seriously considering it. From the way you were making your argument, it appeared that you have absolutely no interest in ever thinking differently regardless of what we say. I'm not saying you *should* change your mind - what you believe is your business. But we're asking that you at least consider it again. That's how arguments work. It's not simply "I'm right, you're wrong. Thbbbbbt!" it's "Here's what I believe, why don't you think about it a little and arrive at a more educated position?" Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Everything sticks until it goes away, * This space inadvertently And the truth is we don't know anything." -TMBG * left blank. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35BBB0BA.E26@fuse.net> Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 15:42:02 -0700 From: jays your one-paged dictionary Organization: dial-a-song! 718-387-6962, narrrrrrrrr! Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Moxy Fruvous Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > it again. That's how arguments work. It's not simply "I'm right, > you're wrong. Thbbbbbt!" it's "Here's what I believe, why don't you > think about it a little and arrive at a more educated position?" Yes. Why don't you, Mr. Solomon? It's quite obvious YOU have no intent to change your mind anytime soon. Peace, love, and good happiness stuff, Jay. -- jayhc, Christopher Parkening's satanic heir. e-mail: sirjamez@fuse.net, phonebook@tmbg.org aol im: SaturnChrd, PhoneBookJ irc: PhoneBook "and sadly the cross-eyed bear's been put to sleep behind the stairs, and his shoes are laced with irony." --tmbg "Hey, some people take drugs and some people like to have sex all day, I like to watch my bees as I make music, so what." --steve vai -- ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 16:06:43 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: what jamie had to say / C_n_d_ Message-ID: <19980726.160643.4590.1.Mr.Train@juno.com> <> This really kinda sucks for me since the only station in my area (96.1 WROX) that got the CD just changed formats from modern rock to total crap (i.e. Backstreet Boys, Rap, Hanson, etc. (latin translation- "and other crap")). But I did request it once before they changed... I think I'll just work on calling all of those toll free numbers that were posted to the list... I wonder if Jamie will send free promo CDs to all those that took part the Refreshments did... (They sent promo copies of "Wanted" to all those who said they called and requested it... cool huh?) Canadian Band - Barenaked Ladies Tim, plays the solo Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: Dr. Worm Last CD purchase: The Guitar (single) Favorite mainstream song: One Week - BNL _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980726202229.26271.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "VoVat Quetzalcoatlus" Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Moxy Fruvous Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 13:22:28 PDT >Reply-To: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) > And I >have a question - are you purposefully trying to make the list population >irate by repeating the "g" word? I assume you mean the "q" word, and I wondered the same thing. (Incidentally, I recently read an old interview with XTC, and learned that they also hate that word.) -- Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "The puffin sipped at his herbal tea and sighed, 'You can't get the buttons these days.'" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 14:47:08 -0600 (MDT) From: Cyto Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Moxy Fruvous Message-ID: > > And in closing, who are you, you arrogant little shit? I can > guarantee many > > of us are higher educated, have more knowledge of music, and have > experienced > > more in life than you.... this condescendance and arrogance is totally > > unjustified.... didn't you just join the list about a week ago? > > It's "more highly educated," dear. > M. M.'T. I just have to say that I'm getting kind of sick of this whole argument in general... This is a TMBG mailing list, so if you want to have an extended argument about how much better MF is, then take it to the MF mailing list. My kudos to M. Mac T. for being the only interesting part of this whole thread, though... So just drop the whole subject or take it somewhere else, because neither side will change opinion, and in the long run, you'll just fill my mail box with inane chatter. That's all I can think of, but I'm sure there's something else Cyto (Thanks to whoever originally reminded me of this wonderful lyric that will tag my posts impeccably.) ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 17:43:52 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Moxy Fruvous Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 26-Jul-98 Re: NON TMBG: Moxy Fruvous by jays o. dictionary@fuse. > Yes. Why don't you, Mr. Solomon? It's quite obvious YOU have no intent > to change your mind anytime soon. Um, I've backed up my opinion of Moxy Fruvous. I've thought about it. I've considered that not everyone likes the same music. I'm still going to go to three concerts this week because I think it's worth it. And I'm still going to recommend them to everyone who hasn't heard them. Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Everything sticks until it goes away, * This space inadvertently And the truth is we don't know anything." -TMBG * left blank. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35BBCFA1.14BD@fuse.net> Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 17:53:53 -0700 From: jays your one-paged dictionary Organization: dial-a-song! 718-387-6962, narrrrrrrrr! Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Moxy Fruvous Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > > Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 26-Jul-98 Re: NON TMBG: Moxy Fruvous > by jays o. dictionary@fuse. > > Yes. Why don't you, Mr. Solomon? It's quite obvious YOU have no intent > > to change your mind anytime soon. > > Um, I've backed up my opinion of Moxy Fruvous. I've thought about it. > I've considered that not everyone likes the same music. I'm still going > to go to three concerts this week because I think it's worth it. And > I'm still going to recommend them to everyone who hasn't heard them. That's great, Mr. Solomon, but it's entirely irrelevent. Mr. MacTavish is coming from a very similiar, if opposite, position--he's considered not everyone likes the same music, and he's not going to three concerts this week because he doesn't think it's worth it, and he's not going to recommend them. Neither of you are going to change your respective minds, and it's extremely hypocritical of you to chastise him for your own crimes. Peace, love, and good happiness stuff, Jay. -- jayhc--always accurate, constant, and intense. e-mail: sirjamez@fuse.net, phonebook@tmbg.org aol im: SaturnChrd, PhoneBookJ irc: PhoneBook "and sadly the cross-eyed bear's been put to sleep behind the stairs, and his shoes are laced with irony." --tmbg "Hey, some people take drugs and some people like to have sex all day, I like to watch my bees as I make music, so what." --steve vai -- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <0piwOTa00WB=0NZZI0@andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 20:15:27 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Moxy Fruvous Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 26-Jul-98 Re: NON TMBG: Moxy Fruvous by jays o. dictionary@fuse. > That's great, Mr. Solomon, but it's entirely irrelevent. Mr. MacTavish > is coming from a very similiar, if opposite, position--he's considered > not everyone likes the same music, and he's not going to three concerts > this week because he doesn't think it's worth it, and he's not going to > recommend them. Neither of you are going to change your respective > minds, and it's extremely hypocritical of you to chastise him for your > own crimes. um, first off, stop addressing us like that... it's really unnerving... :) but that's not what the point is! he *didn't* consider it until we asked him to, probably. it was evident from his arguments that he didn't. it is not hypocritical because I *have* considered the possibilities, and am guilty of no crimes. I think I know now what he was trying to get at, but the way he was saying it was not the same. There's a difference between saying a band is no good and saying you don't like them. get what I'm saying here? or do I need to reiterate it 30 more times? And I tried to be careful with my wording to not make any statements of opinion come off as fact. (and yes, it is a *fact* that Mike and Dave are better technical guitarists than Flansburgh. ask any musician) Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Everything sticks until it goes away, * This space inadvertently And the truth is we don't know anything." -TMBG * left blank. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35BBFAB7.9A0@fuse.net> Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 21:01:22 -0700 From: jays your one-paged dictionary Organization: dial-a-song! 718-387-6962, narrrrrrrrr! Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Moxy Fruvous Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > > Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 26-Jul-98 Re: NON TMBG: Moxy Fruvous > by jays o. dictionary@fuse. > > That's great, Mr. Solomon, but it's entirely irrelevent. Mr. MacTavish > > is coming from a very similiar, if opposite, position--he's considered > > not everyone likes the same music, and he's not going to three concerts > > this week because he doesn't think it's worth it, and he's not going to > > recommend them. Neither of you are going to change your respective > > minds, and it's extremely hypocritical of you to chastise him for your > > own crimes. > > um, first off, stop addressing us like that... it's really unnerving... :) I'm sorry, Mr. .. uh ... La... Lawrence. Gotta get used to this first name basis thing. ;) > but that's not what the point is! he *didn't* consider it until we > asked him to, probably. it was evident from his arguments that he > didn't. it is not hypocritical because I *have* considered the > possibilities, and am guilty of no crimes. I think I know now what he > was trying to get at, but the way he was saying it was not the same. > There's a difference between saying a band is no good and saying you > don't like them. get what I'm saying here? or do I need to reiterate > it 30 more times? I do hope that last line wasn't an attempt to make a crack at me. Have you indeed considered the possibilities? Again, that's great if you have, and the intent of my last posts were not to accuse you of close-mindedness, but rather to state that both you and Malcom are equally staid in your opinions. Neither of you are going to change your minds, it's quite obvious, and Malcom has obviously considered your possibility ... or he wouldn't have an opinion at all. > And I tried to be careful with my wording to not make any statements of > opinion come off as fact. (and yes, it is a *fact* that Mike and Dave > are better technical guitarists than Flansburgh. ask any musician) Ask any musician who's heard Moxy, you mean--I haven't, and thus I haven't taken any sides in the base argument. Knowing Flansburgh's techincal ability and your descriptions of Moxy's guitarist, technically they probably ARE better--but that's not saying much, 'cause they're both in genres that don't require, respectively, Leona Boyd or Eddie Van Halen. I'd guess that Moxy's guitarists are really not much better than Flansburgh ... but that IS just an educated quess. jay. -- jayhc--always accurate, constant, and intense. e-mail: sirjamez@fuse.net, phonebook@tmbg.org aol im: SaturnChrd, PhoneBookJ irc: PhoneBook "and sadly the cross-eyed bear's been put to sleep behind the stairs, and his shoes are laced with irony." --tmbg "Hey, some people take drugs and some people like to have sex all day, I like to watch my bees as I make music, so what." --steve vai -- ------------------------------ From: Spoonerism@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 21:33:32 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: here we go again--whatever happened to zappa???? oh, yeah, he's dead. <> Well spoken. Here's a great quote you'd appreciate from a musician you'd admire... "Rocks stars died when amateaurs won" -David Byrne, "Burnt By The Sun" ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 21:37:49 -0400 (EDT) From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Moxy Fruvous >>Reply-To: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) >> And I >>have a question - are you purposefully trying to make the list >population >>irate by repeating the "g" word? > >I assume you mean the "q" word, and I wondered the same thing. lol! Oh dear, my argument, right down the tubes because I had a dyslexic moment. ;) Kirsten -- [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] "And she said losing love is like a window in your heart Everybody sees you're blown apart..." - Paul Simon "Graceland" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ From: ErgoTM@aol.com Message-ID: <429f9d85.35bbdf07@aol.com> Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 21:59:33 EDT Subject: TMBG: NOT REALLY TMBG Most of you listen to Moxy Furvous apparently, And a couple of you listen to they might be giants. I was just wondering, does anyone out there listen to Daniel Amos ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <172f36c8.35bbf5a0@aol.com> Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 23:35:46 EDT Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Moxy Fruvous i'm behind but i was referred by a couple people to catch up and join this thread... well i haven't caught up, but i'll still add.. >Moxy Fruvous are trash. one person's trash is....... >Anyone who buys a Moxy Fruvous record in the hopes of getting >even 1% of TMBG's > technique, songwriting skill, or humour had better get used to > disappointment. I'm sorry, i didn't want to get "mean" but.. *what the fuck?* you - in a general sense, not *you* - can't compare them like that! that is horribly ludicrous! :P if ANYTHING, moxy has *more* obvious humour than TMBG. i'm really sick of people saying stuff like this... imagine you're on a different list and someone is questioning if TMBG's worth checking into. Someone else shoots TMBG down calling them a "lame quirky novelty one hit wonder band" and discouraged the possible new tmbg fan. ... as it stands right now for me, i'm rating moxy higher than tmbg.. these guys tour constantly (especially around me *g*) and STILL crank out albums simultaneously. and ALWAYS stick around and have conversations with eager fans (i've met them 6 times... and was even *remembered* by at least one of the band members)... i guess what i really meant for the purpose of this post to be (but it really wasn't ) is people - please don't ...shoot down bands some of us like etc because you *do* have an influence on the unknowing and may be keeping someone from something they'd enjoy ...i remember a post from someone that i think, saw a post here about someone saying moxy sucks but saw a cd for $3 and bought it just in case and loved it..? they may not be your cup of tea but let others decide for themselves. damn i sound so preachy. sorry. {{rallied 'round the fruvous flag, burnt the kitchen raise the aerial!}} on TMBG topic, I heard Dr Worm today.... i called WBER (or "KBER" According to tmbg.com :P) this morning and asked.. it was "in rotation"... i heard it around 6:45, taped it and listened at least 8 times. :) my parents are going to love this song , the horns are so chicago-esque.. sarah http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 23:37:34 -0400 (EDT) From: Jeremy Treuer Subject: TMBG: Moxy vs. TMBG Message-ID: >what?!? are you implying that Moxy Fruvous can't craft songs and aren't >good musicians? sorry, but both Dave and Mike are *far* better >guitarists than Flansburgh ever will be, and Murray's ability to sing >and play bass at the same time is not one that a lot of bassists posess. > Dave can actually play the accordion properly, and they are all amazing >singers, harmonizers, and songwriters. As a fan of both MF and TMBG I couldn't leave this one alone. First off, John and John harmonize quite a bit, but they aren't as in-your-face or obnoxious about it as MF are. Yes, obnoxious, MOxy harmonizes TOO much, I think on every song on "YOu will go to the moon" and "Bargainville" there is some sort of MASSIVE harmonization. Does "Michigan Militia" really need the rough harmonization in the "Like to keep it in the 'fridgerator"? No, it betrays the extremely serious tone of the song (set up by the banjo, stacatto drums and later, the crackly speaking voice). MF does this a lot, and it's one of the reasons I don't listen to them a whole lot, it just gets to be too much. John and John on the other hand, do simpler harmonizations, but also dabble in polyphony. Listen to "DinnerBell" there are two melodies going together at once, and it sound perfect. As someone who has tried writing simple polyphony, it's tough to do that and get it to sound right, and TMBG does that a lot. They craft their songs more to accenuate their melodies and the mood of the song instead of showing off the "gee-whiz" harmony factor that Moxy sometime piles on top of it's songs. Flansburgh has never claimed to be a great guitarist, I seem to recall him saying somewhere that, "I practiced the guitar a lot for some very modest gains." However, TMBG's music is not the place for wild-ass guitar solos, as seen by the relatively unpopular state of Eric Schermerhorn (sp?) with the fans. THere are exceptions, like Pet Name, but even then the list seems split on that. Oh, and on the bass thing, as a bassist who sings, I can name several, Graham Maby sang with THem in concert, Les Claypool of Primus, Geddy Lee of Rush, Victor Wooten sings his own songs (Bela Fleck and the Fleck Tones), just for a few. Most of these bands have, arguably the best bassists in Rock or Jazz or whatnot, and that is because, generally, the more skilled player does the singing because usually that player is the first to learn to sing AND play well at the same time. The singer is also usually the band 'leader' for some reason. (Frank Zappa, however, could not sing and play guitar at the same time, and actively sought out people to sing for him) Anyway, despite my ragging on Moxy, I still would go out of my way to see them in concert, but I think that they still need to work a little on the 'less is more' or at least the 'less obvious is more' aesthetic. Babbling too Much, Remi Treuer The guy without a .sig P.S. Teaching the older kid's at my camp 'Mammal' this week (Yay! Abuse of councilor power) ------------------------------ From: CajunGram@aol.com Message-ID: <982a45ed.35bc020c@aol.com> Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 00:28:59 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG @ Summer Camp In a message dated 98-07-26 23:39:15 EDT, you write: << Babbling too Much, Remi Treuer The guy without a .sig P.S. Teaching the older kid's at my camp 'Mammal' this week (Yay! Abuse of councilor power) >> Oh man, that reminds me of the summer camp I work at. I've probably posted this to the list before, but since I can't remember, I'll do it anyway... During campfire (a tme when the whole camp gets together and sings songs and performs skits that the campers have worked on during the day ((it may sound hokey, but some of them are pretty damn funny)) and one of the songs we sing is Whistling In The Dark. The other TMBG song we sing is I Hope That I Get Old Before I Die, it sounds sort of morbid, but the kids seem to love it... Just throwing out an asbestos coverd post to protect us from all the flames... Graham ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35BC1A66.4CD96D79@pacificnet.net> Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 22:12:57 -0800 From: Gary Subject: Subject: Re: TMBG: Put on KRock! Here in Southern California, we have our own "K-Rock" except its spelled KROQ here. KROQ is arguably the most influential and famous alternative radio station in the universe. Two weeks ago, I called KROQ's weekly show "Rodney on the ROQ" to request Dr. Worm. His show is one of the few, if not the only one on KROQ where the DJ personally decides what to play. (Thus I thought Dr. Worm had a chance.) Here's the conversation with *my* KROQ... ME: "Hey Rodney, do you like They Might Be Giants?" Rodney: "Oh yeah, sure! I'll try to get something on by them." ME: "Well, actually, the have a new album coming out in August and there's a new single called "Dr. Worm" that's being sent to radio stations and..." Rodney: "Okay, I'll try to find it." ME: "If you can't find it tonight, can you play it next week?" Rodney: "Uh, yeah sure." Well, I listened to his entire show that night and he didn't play it. I wasn't able to listen to the show the following week but I doubt he played it. He's on again tonight but I'm not so optimistic he'll play it. ...maybe I should move on to my local public radio stations. -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35BC2281.43253D7F@pacificnet.net> Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 22:47:37 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: Subject: Re: Subject: Re: TMBG: Are they watching us??? > If you know of an intelligent musician who makes a point of reading > Internet mailing lists or newsgroups about himself, please do name > him. I admit I could be wrong about this issue. > > M. M'T. > There is another band I like that isn't very famous but you would probably recoginize their name. They have had greater sucess on the charts recently than TMBG. Over at the list dedicated to them, they not only read it often but the post to it semi-regularly. -B O N G O [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 02:26:51 -0400 (EDT) From: Jish Subject: TMBG: John Flansburgh in the Time poll Message-ID: Well...as many of you know, John Flansburgh is moving his way up the Time Magazine man of the century poll. I know several people are trying to find out a way to vote for him multiple times...but it almost seems to me as if each time you put in a different zip code it counts it as a new vote. That would be really stupid...but try it...Flans is #13 right now. http://www.pathfinder.com/time/time100/poc/century.html Jish ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 02:46:32 -0400 (EDT) From: Jish Subject: Re: TMBG: John Flansburgh in the Time poll Message-ID: On Mon, 27 Jul 1998, Jish wrote: > Well...as many of you know, John Flansburgh is moving his way up the Time > Magazine man of the century poll. I know several people are trying to find er...PERSON of the Century Poll...just caught that...I am not sexist...honest...*nervous laughter* > > http://www.pathfinder.com/time/time100/poc/century.html > > Jish > > > ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199807270658.CAA20542@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 01:59:03 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Non-TMBG: Pop songs are easy? >Yes, you CAN just pick up an instrument and write twenty "good" pop >songs. Two words: Green Day. If you know anything about music in >general and their music at all, you shall know exactly what I mean. I certainly can't. Speak for yourself. Harf, Mitch "There are two ways to slice easily through life; to believe everything or to doubt everything. Both ways save us from thinking." Support the Harf Project: All your questions answered, all your problems solved: ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199807270814.EAA23508@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 03:14:19 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: TMBG: Dial-A-Song is back! I've gotten through to Dial-A-Song twice in the past 12 hours. Once I heard "Token Back to Brooklyn", and as we speak I'm listening to "Don't Make Me Kill You Again". Anyharf, it's back after a long absence. Harf, Mitch Thanks a lot, Mitch Harding "The world is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Support the Harf Project: All your questions answered, all your problems solved: ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35BC6981.33FD97FB@pacificnet.net> Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 03:50:30 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: A NON TMBG Accident Please ignore the message quoted below it was hiding in my message outbox for the last month and when I hit "send unsent messages" it sent itself. You have all actually be very good lately. > Subject: Re: TMBG: On topic: Off topic > > leonard helfgott wrote: > > > personally, I don't consider your message to be one that I or hundreds of > > other people need to read. That's my personal opinion. If other people > > don't want to read it, then nobody will respind to it. Your personal > > opinion is fine, but you don't have to post it to the list. > > Cap'n Helfgott > > Give it up. You know what your doing is wrong. You can't justify it. I > don't have time argue with you today but I've been seeing some others > express a dislike of off topic posts. The best one though is the one that > comes from the list administrator twice a month. > > -B O N G O > -- -B O N G O _____________________________________________ "When it gets too hot for comfot And you can't get an ice cream cone T'ain't no sin to take off your skin And dance around in your bones" -Tom Waits [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19980727085346.008fc950@email.uc.edu> Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 08:53:46 -0400 From: Heather Garver Subject: TMBG: Do the Johns read this? Well, after a long and drawn out discussion, overlapping three digests, I decided to de-lurk and give my input. I know for a fact that Linnel does not read the list. He said so in an interview last year with a magazine called Internet Underground. I don't have it with me, but can post the exact quote later if anyone wants it. garverhl@email.uc.edu http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Track/4066 ICQ# 6865667 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000801bdb961$875060c0$38701ad0@kathy> From: "Kathy Hardiman" Subject: TMBG: radio stations Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 09:21:54 -0400 three cheers to 88.1 WELH-fm providence! between 12 and 2 on sunday, dr. worm was played twice. thank god for College Music Journal who sent out the single on their certain damage compilation. take that restless "we don't do full promotions for college stations"! dr.worm RULES!!!!! its such a catchy song, and i'm dying to hear the album!!!! does anyone know when TMBG may be coming to providence? i want to see them at the hatchshell in boston, but i have to go to my Comp.Sci class that night........ gotta' call restless and beg for STDamage.......---kathy ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19980727111206.007c6220@martin.luther.edu> Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 11:12:06 -0500 From: Nathan Pralle Subject: TMBG: OMLT PLEA - Serious This is a formal plea to the OMLT goddess and any one of you who have knowledge of her whereabouts and doings. I have waited long enough to get these t-shirts...please, I don't ask much, just return my money. I'm not ticked, just a bit disappointed, but I can take the $12 or whatever it was (I have it on record in my desk) and buy a white t-shirt and a black magic marker and write "OFFICIAL OMLT" on it if I'm all that concerned about getting a t-shirt. Please, OMLT Goddess, contact me as soon as possible. For all the rest of you, Power to the Johns!!! NP 210 Nathan E. Pralle Technical Support Creative Solutions Unlimited, Inc. PO Box 550 203 Gilman St. Sheffield, IA 50475-0550 PH: 800.253.7697 FAX: 515.892.4333 Email: prallena@luther.edu ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <4c50c28f.35bca6ce@aol.com> Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 12:11:57 EDT Subject: Re: Subject: Re: Subject: Re: TMBG: Are they watching us??? In a message dated 7/27/98 1:39:39 AM, ggr@pacificnet.net wrote: > There is another band >I like that isn't very famous >but you would probably >recoginize their name. They >have had greater sucess on the >charts recently than TMBG. >Over at the list dedicated to >them, they not only read it >often but the post to it >semi-regularly. barenaked ladies, eh? :) they are such great guys... they may be #3 on the charts, but they still act like an unknown local band. ed even posted to the list once asking if any fans had x files videos to trade for any official recordings of their live shows. (and this was legitamate because i mentioned it to him the next time i met him).. also, the members of moxy fruvous read their newsgroup... one of them (jian) called me "linnellgirl" in person which completely freaked me out... i guess i posted a review of the previous show and described myself - who i was at that show and he pieced 'em together.... sarah~ linnellgirl@tmbg.org -- http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980727042953.006a065c@cybnetonline.com> Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 23:29:53 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: OMLT PLEA - Serious At 11:12 AM 7/27/98 -0500, Nathan Pralle wrote: >This is a formal plea to the OMLT goddess and any one of you who have >knowledge of her whereabouts and doings. I have waited long enough to get >these t-shirts...please, I don't ask much, just return my money. I'm not >ticked, just a bit disappointed, but I can take the $12 or whatever it was >(I have it on record in my desk) and buy a white t-shirt and a black magic >marker and write "OFFICIAL OMLT" on it if I'm all that concerned about >getting a t-shirt. > Face it buddy, you've been snookered. I bet this OMLT Goddess that you speak of is now living the sweet life down in beunos aires. If she were gonna make the shirts, or send the money back, she probably would have, no one is that lazy. Also note that she is no longer on the list, huh, makes ya think. Claim it as a loss on your taxes, and forget about it. >Please, OMLT Goddess, contact me as soon as possible. > In Beunos Aires? >For all the rest of you, Power to the Johns!!! > Okay. LDB, The Shotgun and The Truth. -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #8-28 *****************************