Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #8-3 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 8, Number 3 Friday, 3 July 1998 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Snail Shell CD Re: TMBG: Feeling a bit left out. TMBG: TMBG Geography.... a plea TMBG: Oh, do not... change the lyrics on us, John Re: TMBG: Oh, do not... change the lyrics on us, John Re: nonTMBG: Howard the Duck Re: nonTMBG: Howard the Duck TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ TMBG: tour dates (help) TMBG: On the Topic of Off Topic ("Censorship" is good.) TMBG: STD Games 'n' Stuff Re: TMBG: Enough Non-TMBG Crap! Re: TMBG: TMBG Geography.... a plea TMBG: TMBG-ish: Mono Puff TMBG: TMBG Geography Re: TMBG: On the Topic of Off Topic ("Censorship" is good.) Re: TMBG: Enough Non-TMBG Crap! TMBG: Netiquette Re: TMBG: On the Topic of Off Topic ("Censorship" is good.) Re: TMBG: Snail Shell CD Re: Non-TMBG: Netiquette Re: TMBG: Snail Shell CD TMBG: Multimedia and STD Re: 1/3 TMBG: Happy Post (much needed) Re: TMBG: Snail Shell CD Re: TMBG: tour dates (help) TMBG: List Rules, Partilce Man Sucks?, & MIDI's Re: TMBG: On the Topic of Off Topic ("Censorship" is good.) Re: TMBG: List Rules Re: TMBG: On the Topic of Off Topic ("Censorship" is good.) Fw: TMBG: Enough Non-TMBG Crap! TMBG: who cares about off-topic disucussin it's NBD!!!!!! Re: TMBG: On the Topic of Off Topic ("Censorship" is bad.) TMBG: Netiquette -Reply TMBG: TMBG with a twist of the World Cup Re: TMBG: List Rules, Partilce Man Sucks?, & MIDI's TMBG: john henry w/ bonus tracks? Re: TMBG: john henry w/ bonus tracks? Re: TMBG: john henry w/ bonus tracks? Re: TMBG: john henry w/ bonus tracks? Re: TMBG: Snail Shell CD Re: TMBG: Flood Re: TMBG: john henry w/ bonus tracks? Re: TMBG: Flood Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 16:20:35 -0700 (PDT) From: "J. Brown" Subject: Re: TMBG: Snail Shell CD Message-ID: > >I have never understood why anyone would what those kind of one song > >promos. I mean you already have the song on the album right? Now if the > >promo has cool packaging then i'm in (like my promo of Elvis Costello's 13 > >Steps Lead Down beautiful!) bt other wise unless you are a psycho > >completeist why? Why? Why? > Some of us are record collectors and if it's by a band we like, we buy it, > no matter the cost, no matter the track list. i'm a huge record collector too, but this just seems very extreme like i said i at least want some cover art or even a single edit i can understand! ------------------------------ From: Drayco@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 21:23:09 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Feeling a bit left out. That is not entirely true. They played at Cornell College in Iowa last spring, but the show was open to students only. --Jamal In a message dated 98-06-30 12:57:13 EDT, you write: > nope. the lat show was in iowa city. had they been here, i would have > gone. i really want to see them in concert! > Robin > > On Tue, 30 Jun 1998, Matthew James wrote: > > > > Ok. you all are in areas where it is easy to go to a show. But remember > > > that some of us more unfortunate ones are not. TMBG hasn't been to Iowa > > > for years (about 3 or 4 i think). When they were here, my friend who > said > > > he would get me tickets, conviently forgot. > > > > > > Anyways...realize how lucky that you all are, and cry silently for us... > > > > > > Feeling reallyl jealous > > > Ro'bin > > Actually, didn't TMBG play out in Iowa in May of 1997 for Factory > > Showroom? I seem to recall that because it was their last stop for a > > while on the tour. Maybe in Ames? Oh, I can't remember the city, I > > don't know Iowa, never been out to that part of the mid-west. > > -Matt > > > > -- > > Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu > > Loyola College in Baltimore, MD > > Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com > > ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 22:06:39 -0700 (PDT) From: Alon Yaari Subject: TMBG: TMBG Geography.... a plea Message-ID: Please respond if you haven't already... I don't have enough responses yet to make a nice map! A request to TMBG fans who read this list! I am requesting the geographical location of all people who read this list, this means YOU if you can read this. Just the following info: City State Zip Code If you are away for school, send me the info for your home and your school. If you're from outside the US, then supply me with some way of locating you on a map. Besides enjoying just mapping things, I'm somewhat interested in the geographical spread of TMBG fans. My hypothesis going into this is that the map will cluster about New York city, but it's too early to tell yet. If you have not sent it in, please do! I will repost this message occasionally until I get enough respondents... -The Yar Geographer ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980701055336.19787.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: TMBG: Oh, do not... change the lyrics on us, John Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 22:53:35 PDT Um, has anyone noticed that the version of Token back to Brooklyn on Dial-a-song has the lyrics: "And claims he killed our parents", while the Factory Showroom version goes:"And says he'll tell our parents"? Why do they do that? I personaly like "Claims he killed our parents". Does anyone know the story about the lyrical change? I'd like to know. Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com "He wants to knock your house down... And he can't, because you're lying in the way of his bulldozer... I think we can come to some arrangement." --Ford Prefect, "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980701060822.006ec9c0@cybnetonline.com> Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 01:08:22 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: Oh, do not... change the lyrics on us, John At 10:53 PM 6/30/98 PDT, Josh Buckland wrote: >Um, has anyone noticed that the version of Token back to Brooklyn on >Dial-a-song has the lyrics: "And claims he killed our parents", while >the Factory Showroom version goes:"And says he'll tell our parents"? Why >do they do that? I personaly like "Claims he killed our parents". Does >anyone know the story about the lyrical change? I'd like to know. > There's more'n that changed in that song, I'll try to find some of the other changes. The bill/fare collector is drinking Lighter Fluid. Ah, that's all I can think of but I'm sure there's somethin' else, LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 23:43:41 -0700 Subject: Re: nonTMBG: Howard the Duck Message-ID: <19980630.235853.11222.0.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Josh Nielsen) did you know that that movie was on TBS (I think) like Friday night. I haven't seen that since I was a little kid. Josh Nielsen jnielsen69@juno.com http://www.angelfire.com/or/jnielsen/ http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Studio/4091 ICQ #1337243 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980701070809.006ec794@cybnetonline.com> Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 02:08:09 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: nonTMBG: Howard the Duck Well, thank you for destroying me. No one told me it was on? Why didn't you E-mail me about it. Now I have to go cry myself to sleep, LDB At 11:43 PM 6/28/98 -0700, Josh Nielsen wrote: >did you know that that movie was on TBS (I think) like Friday night. I >haven't seen that since I was a little kid. >Josh Nielsen >jnielsen69@juno.com >http://www.angelfire.com/or/jnielsen/ >http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Studio/4091 >ICQ #1337243 > >_____________________________________________________________________ >You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. >Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com >Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] > > -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 03:15:01 -0400 (EDT) From: Majordomo Message-Id: <199807010715.DAA22443@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT When you send a message to the list you are sending messages to hundreds of people. Make sure that your message is one that hundreds of people need to read. Do not send "me too" messages to the list. Do not send messages about non-tmbg topics to the list. Hold private conversations in private e-mail. Sending messages that the list administrator deems off topic will result in your being removed from the list. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199807010750.BAA05399@digisys.net> From: "bighead@tmbg.org" Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 01:44:23 +0000 Subject: TMBG: tour dates (help) I dig tmbg, as we all do, Yet I have never witnessed them in concert. This is one of my goals in life. A goal I hope to accomplish this summer. Unfortunately I often find out thier tour dates a mere week or so before they happen and since they will most likely never, never come to Montana (except to research a state song) I will probably have to fly to New York. I am cool with that---but I'd like to know sooner. SOOOOOOOO....... does anyone know any current tour dates, or even better- a place where I tour dates are consistantly and accurately posted. It would make me smile. Wade Michael Atkinson. "You never know what you'll find when you open up your letterbox tomorrow........." -TMBG ------------------------------ Message-ID: <359A2520.92A014BD@pacificnet.net> Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 04:01:41 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: On the Topic of Off Topic ("Censorship" is good.) SOME POINTS REGARDING OFF TOPIC POSTS: __________________________________________________________ 1) They CAN'T be filtered out if you receive the list in digest form. 2) Some of us work and are not care-free students on summer vacation with all the time in the world to post or sort through a big long list of random garbage. 3) The "let's discuss our other common interests" excuse doesn't impress me. A lot of the these off topic posts are the same type of junk you might hear being discussed at a elementary school bus stop... gossip about celebrities, video game tricks, South Park, Godzilla, etc. 4) Imagine you suddenly become interested in the band Soul Coughing, for example. You join a list like this one and see that most of the the subject names on the list are ones like: "Re: Tonight's episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer" If I was new to this list, I might unsubscribe seeing what a waste of time it is. 5) Suppose you went to an AA meeting and I wasted your time by standing up an telling the group the details of my struggle to quit smoking. It would be a waste of your time wouldn't it? 6) You people that don't think for yourselves assume moderation is a bad thing and you start crying "censorship!". Moderation would really improve this list. Currently, all you OT posters are "censoring" my access to TMBG discussion by burying it in a pile of unrelated junk. How dare you rob me of my rights!!! Wahhh! Wahhh! Censorship! Censorship Waaaahhh! 7) Recently, I've just been throwing the digest away without reading it after seeing most of the subject names unrelated to TMBG. Otherwise, it's a burden and a bore to sort through it all. 8) If you want to discuss random things, why not just go to a chat room? 9) If you don't have anything to post that is at least vaguely TMBG related, then don't post. I rather see a few easily visible TMBG post a day than a flood of miscellany. 10) Finally, the obvious: Not posting off topic messages is one of the basic rules of Internet discussion group etiquette. -B O N G O _____________________________________________ "And the places that I'm dreaming of Do they dream only of me?" -Tom Waits ------------------------------ Message-ID: <359A2578.955AE83E@pacificnet.net> Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 04:03:08 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: STD Games 'n' Stuff A couple days ago, someone on the list gave details about the multi-media content of STD. (I forget your name-sorry!) Anyway, if what he said was true, I think it'll be worth the $17 just for that. Especially that "Spider" game. -B O N G O ____________________________ "And the places that I'm dreaming of Do they dream only of me?" -Tom Waits ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 07:00:09 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Woodward Subject: Re: TMBG: Enough Non-TMBG Crap! Message-id: On Sun, 28 Jun 1998, David Adams wrote: > >Where's that moderator? > > Mmmmm moderators. Maybe we should have one! That would solve everyone's > problem. Then anyone could "listen" to the list and only good ol' TMBG > stuff would get through! Any volunteers? Pas moi, s'il vous plait! The list's best days were while it was moderated. I vote a hearty yes, if Leo or someone has time again. Nothing else is going to weed out the crap. A quick survey of today's digest yielded 30 off-topic posts, 2 Monopuff posts, and 12 TMBG-related posts. Those posts that fell into the TMBG category included an enriching thread about "Particle Man Sucks". 30:14, that means that over 2/3 of the posts here don't belong here. Yes, off-topic tangents happen, and are fine if they die off quickly. But people are _starting_ off-topic threads out of the blue. I used to like the TMBG list because it was a nice way to get a purified form of TMBG information, whereas the newsgroup was falling down the slope of all-off-topic irrelevance. The list has been the same way now, for a year or two. Making the list moderated would be the only solution. If you want to babble incessantly, go to the newsgroup (or, perish the thought, find the proper newsgroups to discuss the off-topic subjects). If you want TMBG-only content, stay here. Sorry for the rant. * ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Josh Woodward, CheEsy Fru. joshw@mail.bgsu.edu Web Site and Tape List: http://www.dc-adnet.com/joshw/ "I will hold on. And if that's not what you're used to, Then I may refuse to." - Moxy Fruvous ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 07:46:32 -0500 (CDT) From: Robin Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Geography.... a plea Message-ID: i think i already told you. but here it is again anyways... School Iowa City, IA 52242 Home Marshalltown, IA 50158 If you are trying to find marshalltown on a map (which is slightly difficult, try looking for des moines and going NE Robin ------------------------------ From: ArwenAnaNg@aol.com Message-ID: <9e1eb37c.359a3cb7@aol.com> Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 09:42:14 EDT Subject: TMBG: TMBG-ish: Mono Puff << Now while _Unsupervised_ is wicked cool, _It's Fun To Steal_ is infinitely better. It's not really funk, not really techno, but it definitely has some of these traits. Even if you don't like funk or techno, don't fear! After a couple of listens I was in love with it. Johnny F. is the man. >> YES! Flansy *is* the Man!!! Not that I don't love Linnell, mind you, but I have come to love Mono Puff above all others (currently). ^_^ Mono Puff is not easy to describe, but I think a lot of it is very funky and danceable. I highly recommend Mono Puff to anyone not currently being reached by their "Distant Antenna". Arwen "Extra Krispy" AnaNg ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 10:57:20 -0400 Subject: TMBG: TMBG Geography Message-ID: <19980701.110743.10862.0.yoda89@juno.com> From: yoda89@juno.com (James C Stiffey) Pitcairn Pennsylvania 15140 --- Love is like a snowmobile ride through the north. All of a sudden it flips over, trapping you underneath......At night, the Ice Weasels come. _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19980701105329.007fd280@email.psu.edu> Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 10:53:29 -0400 From: "J. L. Moquin" Subject: Re: TMBG: On the Topic of Off Topic ("Censorship" is good.) Bongo wrote: >SOME POINTS REGARDING OFF TOPIC POSTS: [snip 10 points] Well, you know, I agree and disagree. I see what you're saying, but what it comes down to, in my opinion, is this: Maybe This Is Not The List You're Looking For. This is not a list devoted solely to TMBG tour dates, album reviews and song interps. This list is also social. It is a group of people, united by a common interest (They), who gather and chat about that interest, plus others. Posting and complaining about the very nature of this list is akin to, but obviously not as bad as, posting to the Soul Coughing list and complaining that they don't spend enough time talking about recipes for french toast. That's just not what the list is! I seem to remember something about another list, that was just TMBG news and announcements, anyone know what I'm talking about? Anyway, I'm sorry you're pissed at the Non-TMBG content you're receiving. I promise things will pick up They-wise in August, when STD comes out, if you can wait that long. If you stick around, maybe you'll get to like us! Perhaps, in the meantime, it would be better if you did switch from digest to individual post format, so that you *could* filter or scan posts that don't interest you. If neither of these options appeal, well, then perhaps you should unsubscribe and simply make it a daily ritual to check out http://www.tmbg.org/ and http://www.tmbg.com/ to get your fix of They-ness. You won't get ALL the news, but you'll get the big announcements... Or not. That's just my view of the situation. :) -jennifer, mommy to alice the bean, 8/15/97 UPDATED!! http://www.emprl.psu.edu/~anth/ mailto:jls5@psu.edu "My motto, as I live and learn, Is dig and be dug in return" -- Langston Hughes ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19980701105453.00801e20@email.psu.edu> Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 10:54:53 -0400 From: "J. L. Moquin" Subject: Re: TMBG: Enough Non-TMBG Crap! Josh Woodward wrote: [snip] >Making the list moderated would be the only solution. If you want to >babble incessantly, go to the newsgroup (or, perish the thought, find the >proper newsgroups to discuss the off-topic subjects). If you want >TMBG-only content, stay here. [snip] Maybe Someone should start their own, moderated, TMBG-only list? -jennifer, mommy to alice the bean, 8/15/97 UPDATED!! http://www.emprl.psu.edu/~anth/ mailto:jls5@psu.edu "My motto, as I live and learn, Is dig and be dug in return" -- Langston Hughes ------------------------------ From: echuss@notes.cc.bellcore.com Message-ID: <85256634.005164BD.00@notes950.cc.bellcore.com> Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 11:21:02 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Netiquette David Adams wrote: Hi TMBG Listers, Perhaps I'm missing something obvious, but I've searched the tmbg.org site and glanced over the FAQ, and I've been unable to find any rules, guidelines, or even suggestions governing the conversations and topics allowed on this list. > There are rules for proper "netiquette" which IMHO have been ignored at various times on this list for years. Leo did need to instutute moderating on this list last year and stopped because listees began posting on-topic discussions again. There is a newsgroup called news.announce.newusers that has a lot of information about newsgroups and courteous posting. The information applies to this group as well. Maybe the info should be put on tmbg.org (hint, hint). It is highly recommended reading for anyone who joins or posts to a newsgroup/listserve. If you haven't read it, it is suggested that you should and you will probably have a very different outlook on why non-tmbg posts should be kept to a minimum. In response to people who say "just delete non-tmbg posts", they do not understand that this list is sent out as individual email as well as in digest form (at the end of the day all posts are combined into one Email). This recommendation obviously cannot be undertaken by people who receive the list in digest form for obvious reasons. Putting "non-tmbg" in the subject title is not a liscense to post anything and everything. Please, no flames. I am just trying help. I have been on this newsgroup in it's various forms for years (approx. 5 yrs) now and feel that it is really ashame that TMBG related discussions/news are so small a percentage of what is actually posted. A lot of people who agree with this don't argue, they just leave, and we have lost some incredible people over the years because of this. Erik ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 11:31:14 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: On the Topic of Off Topic ("Censorship" is good.) In a message dated 7/1/98 6:59:49 AM, ggr@pacificnet.net wrote: >7) Recently, I've just been throwing the digest away >without reading it after seeing most of the subject names >unrelated to TMBG. Otherwise, it's a burden and a bore to >sort through it all. That's exactly what happened to me and it's the reason i subscribed to list format. ...we're never going to agree on this subject, and i don't see any sense in arguing over it because all it does is add to the OT stuff. ~sarah linnellgirl@tmbg.org ~ http://lava.home.ml.org "i live in the basement" - my sister singing "hi we're the replacements" ------------------------------ From: mike12da@cyberwaves.com (Mike Mcguire) Subject: Re: TMBG: Snail Shell CD Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 17:09:02 GMT Message-Id: <899312942@cyberwaves.com> Organization: SYNERGY RESOURCES, INC. -> Received: from localhost (majordom@localhost) -> by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.8.8/8.8.7) with SMTP id PAA19735; -> Tue, 30 Jun 1998 15:55:22 -0400 (EDT) -> Received: by ussenterprise.ufp.org (bulk_mailer v1.6); Tue, 30 Jun 1998 15:55:22 -0400 -> Received: (from majordom@localhost) -> by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.8.8/8.8.7) id PAA19724 -> for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 30 Jun 1998 15:55:21 -0400 (EDT) -> Received: from jason01.u.washington.edu (root@jason01.u.washington.edu [140.142.70.24]) -> by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.8.8/8.8.7) with ESMTP id PAA19715 -> for ; Tue, 30 Jun 1998 15:55:19 -0400 (EDT) -> Received: from dante35.u.washington.edu (ringostr@dante35.u.washington.edu [140.142.15.195]) -> by jason01.u.washington.edu (8.8.4+UW97.07/8.8.4+UW97.05) with ESMTP -> id MAA11138; Tue, 30 Jun 1998 12:55:13 -0700 -> Received: from localhost (ringostr@localhost) -> by dante35.u.washington.edu (8.8.4+UW97.07/8.8.4+UW97.04) with SMTP -> id MAA78744; Tue, 30 Jun 1998 12:55:12 -0700 -> Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 12:55:12 -0700 (PDT) -> From: "J. Brown" -> To: Derek A Klein -> cc: tmbg-list@tmbg.org -> Subject: Re: TMBG: Snail Shell CD -> In-Reply-To: <19980630.151516.11999.1.captainmarvel2@juno.com> -> Message-ID: -> MIME-Version: 1.0 -> Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII -> Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org -> Reply-To: "J. Brown" -> > The Snail Shell CD is a promo, so it only has the song Snail Shell on it. -> > I can't remember the e-mail address of the place, but if you go to -> > www.gemm.com you should be able to find both the Snail Shell and Back To -> > Skull CDs. I hope this helps. -> I have never understood why anyone would what those kind of one song -> promos. I mean you already have the song on the album right? Now if the -> promo has cool packaging then i'm in (like my promo of Elvis Costello's 13 -> Steps Lead Down beautiful!) bt other wise unless you are a psycho -> completeist why? Why? Why? Basically, it is a psycho completist thing. We're crazy. I am not a completist as far as TMBG goes, because I feel I'm a little too late to do that, but with some bands, yes, I will get every single single/promo possible, not at all for the music on it, but to have it because of it's existance and it's rarity. I don't know if anyone else is fond of Pearl Jam (I can imagine there might be some who aren't), but I'm like that with them. They've only got 5 albums, but I've got every single (some of which are only available in australia, so I had to find someone in New Zealand to buy them and send them to me) which right now adds up to about 29 or 30 CDs. It's 100% a psycho thing. *Mike* ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980701132704.0087b230@csrlink.net> Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 13:27:04 -0400 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Netiquette At 11:21 AM 7/1/98 -0400, you wrote: > >David Adams wrote: >Hi TMBG Listers, >Perhaps I'm missing something obvious, but I've searched the tmbg.org site >and glanced over the FAQ, and I've been unable to find any rules, >guidelines, or even suggestions governing the conversations and topics >allowed on this list. >> There are rules for proper "netiquette" which IMHO have been ignored at >various times on this list for years. Leo did need to instutute moderating >on this list last year and stopped because listees began posting on-topic >discussions again. There is a newsgroup called news.announce.newusers that (By the way, I really don't think that posts relating to the List are TMBG related, so, I changed the subject line.) I talked to Leo about moderation directly after one of the stints last year. (Not the Augie-Wan one, the other.) What he told me, is that he'd stopped perhaps a dozen messages. I asked him why those hadn't gotten though, and he said that it wasn't necessarily the TMBG-ness of the posts, more that they'd just been "Me too." posts. If that adds anything to the discussion... Also, I can't find any posts regarding the multimedia content of STD that Bongo mentioned. I'd check Usenet, but I did that format C: thing yesterday. My final take-Digest form, I've been on it, and it's probably best for people who want to read all the posts. I personally love the Non-TMBG posts, they introduced me to Princess Bride and Moxy Fruvous, just to name two. If you really, really, really only want TMBG posts, then either get on the List format, and set up some very easy filters. Eudora Lite is free, and it's got some filters, albeit weak ones. Eudora Pro is free, if you know where to find a decent crackz site, and it's got some powerful filters. (One last note, just before this post, three people came out in support of Moderation to get rid of Non-TMBG posts. I did a quick search of my TMBG List inbox, and found that within the first four posts that came up from any of those three, there was a very Non-TMBG post. Understandably, no one likes excessiveness, but, you've done it too.) Dylan "Mike Leffel sighs." Flipse Dylan Flipse...one of them. - dflipse@csrlink.net Dylan's page is at http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ for now. I'll never see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed -They Might Be Giants, the coolest thing this side of Zaphod Beeblebrox. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19980701182529.007c78c0@mail-in.keme.net> Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 18:25:29 +0100 From: the famous Uncle Squid Subject: Re: TMBG: Snail Shell CD >-> > The Snail Shell CD is a promo, so it only has the song Snail Shell on it. >-> > I can't remember the e-mail address of the place, but if you go to >-> > www.gemm.com you should be able to find both the Snail Shell and Back To >-> > Skull CDs. I hope this helps. > >-> I have never understood why anyone would what those kind of one song >-> promos. I mean you already have the song on the album right? Now if the >-> promo has cool packaging then i'm in (like my promo of Elvis Costello's 13 >-> Steps Lead Down beautiful!) bt other wise unless you are a psycho >-> completeist why? Why? Why? > >Basically, it is a psycho completist thing. We're crazy. I am not a >completist as far as TMBG goes, because I feel I'm a little too late to >do that, but with some bands, yes, I will get every single single/promo >possible, not at all for the music on it, but to have it because of it's >existance and it's rarity. I don't know if anyone else is fond of Pearl >Jam (I can imagine there might be some who aren't), but I'm like that >with them. They've only got 5 albums, but I've got every single (some >of which are only available in australia, so I had to find someone in >New Zealand to buy them and send them to me) which right now adds up to >about 29 or 30 CDs. It's 100% a psycho thing. That's where you and I are very much the same. If I see something, even if I already have it in a different format etc, I'll buy it. Being wary of pricing, I am a bit jammy as I always get some really rare items for super-low prices. TMBG stuff in the UK is non-existant. --Cols ~THE ELLESLEYS~ (of Colchester-Essex-UK) Home Page: Http://www.keme.co.uk/~thelimes/trendsetting.html TMBG page: Http://members.xoom.com/uncle_squid/Xoom/ <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> "Well, Bill was a sheep-dog, he wasn't a cheap dog, he could hold his own, quick on the turn, good on the gate, worth his weight in gold" -- The Sultans of Ping "Riot at the sheep-dog trials" <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980701133627.006a251c@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 13:36:27 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Multimedia and STD At 01:27 PM 7/1/98 -0400, Dylan Flipse wrote: > >Also, I can't find any posts regarding the multimedia content of STD that >Bongo mentioned. I'd check Usenet, but I did that format C: thing yesterday. No problem! I used Dejanews to search alt.music.tmbg for the words "enhanced" and "multimedia" (in 2 separate searches), and the only messages there about STD being a multimedia-enhanced CD were from people who thought it would be neat if there was some multimedia content like in BNL's "Rock Spectacle". Also, I personally don't recall seeing anything about multimedia content on the list, but I suppose I could be wrong. If STD is enhanced, I hope they make better use of the multimedia content than "Rock Spectacle". The video files are kind of interesting the first couple of times you see 'em, but after that, it just seems like a waste of space where more songs could have gone. -Adam /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <002901bda518$e7da8d60$56c608d1@idiotnot.visi.net> From: "S. Bergeron" Subject: Re: 1/3 TMBG: Happy Post (much needed) Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 13:51:38 -0400 :#2 isn't Arthur :>british? I don't want it to be screwed up to make it "viewable" for americans. : : As much as I'd like to hope, I'm not expecting a British film :here. I expect exactly how British it is depends on how much creative :control Adams gets - if you read the foreword in the graphic :novelization, Adams is incredibly picky about his creation, and if he has :his way I expect the film'll be quite true to the novel. : : However, no matter now much control he has, this is definitely :going to be a different incarnation of the Guide than the BBC films were. :Maybe it'll be more American. Maybe this'll be a bad thing, maybe not.. Okay, everyone's missed the boat.... Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was originally a BBC radio show (they replay them occasionally).....everyone had British accents. Next came the first book, followed shortly by the TV movie...(which sucked). But anyway, here's the ideal cast, as I see it: Jim Carrey (not American, mind you): Zaphod Hugh Grant: Arthur (you need someone who's a total square) Mike Myers (another non-American): Ford (bit eccentric, as he is an alien) Tia Carrare (sp?): Trillian Fiona Apple: Random Richard Simmons: Eddie, the shipboard computer Billy Corgan: Marvin, the paranoid android Burt Reynolds: The Vogon Captain Just my 3.5 inflation depressed cents.... Jack Bergeron idiotnot@visi.net bluedawg@tmbg.org http://www.monopuff.org/~bluedawg "As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way."--Jack Handy ICQ#5909618 ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <554c34cf.359a7864@aol.com> Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 13:56:51 EDT Subject: Re: Re: TMBG: Snail Shell CD In a message dated 7/1/98 12:20:35 PM, mike12da@cyberwaves.com wrote: >Basically, it is a psycho completist thing. We're crazy. I am not a >completist as far as TMBG goes, because I feel I'm a little too late to >do that, but with some bands, yes, I will get every single single/promo >possible, not at all for the music on it, but to have it because of it's >existance and it's rarity. mm hmm, i don't go necessarily out of my way to get rare stuff, but i definitely don't take the opportunities for granted. i found a used Odds radio promo cd of a song i already had on a full length cd, but it was 49 cents, so i bought it. do i need it? no. can i afford 49 cents? yes. i found a used *album* (yes vinyl) of TMBG's pink album for $3, so i bought it. do i need it? no. ..well you get my idea. I just bought Sarah McLachlan's "Adia" EP the other day and it wasn't until i was in the parking lot that i realized i didn't really need it, but bought it anyways. I already have the first 2 songs on a cd, and the 3rd as a b side on another EP. (luckily the first track is slightly different, or else i'd feel kinda stupid;))... sarah http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ From: CajunGram@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 14:27:21 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: tour dates (help) In a message dated 98-07-01 03:58:02 EDT, you write: << I dig tmbg, as we all do, Yet I have never witnessed them in concert. This is one of my goals in life. A goal I hope to accomplish this summer. Unfortunately I often find out thier tour dates a mere week or so before they happen and since they will most likely never, never come to Montana (except to research a state song) I will probably have to fly to New York. I am cool with that---but I'd like to know sooner. >> The place I usually look for concert dates is called Pollstar (www.pollstar.com). They have been the most reliable place I have found, on the internet at least... Graham ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 15:58:33 EDT Subject: TMBG: List Rules, Partilce Man Sucks?, & MIDI's Ok, first off list rules: I have to say no. If we had a "TMBG only" rule, I would have missed out on a lot like bootleg trading, Soul Coughing, & numerous discussions. I think TMBG is the base of the list, but we expand our horizons (sp?) to things unrelated (& related too) like national accordian awareness month, cookies & buttknobs. There are times when the list goes a little crazy, but, hey! That's why it's so much fun! A moderator might take out something that someone is truely interested & could really use! I know this isn't a "Soul Coughing list" or a "discussion of lists list" but I don't care...it's good to talk about other things & be unmonitored. Particle Man Sucks? Well, as most, it was one of my early TMBG exposures & at first I liked it, then about two years back I had a real disliking of the entire Flood album, but then a year or so later I picked it up again & found my interest had resurfaced. Maybe I'm just weird, but I like Particle Man again. MIDI's? I hate MIDI's, I really do, I can't really do much with them. The only thing i can do is put them on my hard drive & listen to them, maybe change a few sounds...but I can put on the TMBG-CD's & they sound much better. However, I am interested in files such as MOD, S3M, IT, etc. They are much more interesting (to me) & I can do so much more with them (well, actually, it depends on the file itself), so if anyone has any of these type of files (I have 2 (EWIWA, & She's an Angel, but they mess up halfway through the songs!)...on this note, could someone explain to me this fascination with MIDI that people have? I just don't get it!!! jason "I hate MIDI! MIDI hates me!!!" glastetter http://www.poingly.com <~~~~ look, I have an ad for my site! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000e01bda52e$1c913940$20200792@super> From: "David Adams" Subject: Re: TMBG: On the Topic of Off Topic ("Censorship" is good.) Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 15:23:27 -0500 Bongo and others, Please help me out if you could and point out what part of your message below has anything to do with They Might Be Giants? Just curious, since you're so concerned with content... ;) DaveA -----Original Message----- From: Bongo To: Date: Wednesday, July 01, 1998 5:52 AM Subject: TMBG: On the Topic of Off Topic ("Censorship" is good.) >SOME POINTS REGARDING OFF TOPIC POSTS: >__________________________________________________________ >1) They CAN'T be filtered out if you receive the list in >digest form. > >2) Some of us work and are not care-free students on summer >vacation with all the time in the world to post or sort >through a big long list of random garbage. > >3) The "let's discuss our other common interests" excuse >doesn't impress me. A lot of the these off topic posts are >the same type of junk you might hear being discussed at a >elementary school bus stop... gossip about celebrities, >video game tricks, South Park, Godzilla, etc. > >4) Imagine you suddenly become interested in the band Soul >Coughing, for example. You join a list like this one and see >that most of the the subject names on the list are ones >like: "Re: Tonight's episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer" If >I was new to this list, I might unsubscribe seeing what a >waste of time it is. > >5) Suppose you went to an AA meeting and I wasted your >time by standing up an telling the group the details of my >struggle to quit smoking. It would be a waste of your time >wouldn't it? > >6) You people that don't think for yourselves assume >moderation is a bad thing and you start crying >"censorship!". Moderation would really improve this list. >Currently, all you OT posters are "censoring" my access to >TMBG discussion by burying it in a pile of unrelated junk. >How dare you rob me of my rights!!! Wahhh! Wahhh! >Censorship! Censorship Waaaahhh! > >7) Recently, I've just been throwing the digest away >without reading it after seeing most of the subject names >unrelated to TMBG. Otherwise, it's a burden and a bore to >sort through it all. > >8) If you want to discuss random things, why not just go to >a chat room? > >9) If you don't have anything to post that is at least >vaguely TMBG related, then don't post. I rather see a few >easily visible TMBG post a day than a flood of miscellany. > >10) Finally, the obvious: Not posting off topic messages is >one of the basic rules of Internet discussion group >etiquette. > >-B O N G O >_____________________________________________ >"And the places that I'm dreaming of >Do they dream only of me?" > -Tom Waits > > > ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980701202126.006e0590@cybnetonline.com> Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 15:21:26 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: List Rules To the hypocrites posting about how we should only have TMBG only posts: Think about it, even you can't keep yourself away from the NON-TMBG, these posts have nothing to do with TMBG. More: A moderator would be stupid, why? Not because it would keep the NON-TMBG stuff out. But because of how much E-mail goes through this list, wouldn't you hate to be the fellar who reads 'em all to determine their worth? To the one's complaining on the Digest form: You know you can scroll past the messages you don't wanna read. LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ From: mjames@khserver.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9807012016.AA03210@khserver.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: On the Topic of Off Topic ("Censorship" is good.) Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 16:16:31 -0400 (EDT) I think his post has everything to do with proper content. I'm not going to say I agree or disagree with him 100%, but I would say that the TMBG-list has a lot ot do with TMBG. After all it is how we all congregate to talk about TMBG and TMBG-related things. This particular argument that DaveA, and many others post, is very trite and contrived to me and is not even valid. TMBG-list discussions are completely valid in my opinion. -Matt > Bongo and others, > Please help me out if you could and point out what part of your message > below has anything to do with They Might Be Giants? Just curious, since > you're so concerned with content... ;) > > DaveA > > -----Original Message----- > From: Bongo > To: > Date: Wednesday, July 01, 1998 5:52 AM > Subject: TMBG: On the Topic of Off Topic ("Censorship" is good.) > > > >SOME POINTS REGARDING OFF TOPIC POSTS: > >__________________________________________________________ > >1) They CAN'T be filtered out if you receive the list in > >digest form. > > > >2) Some of us work and are not care-free students on summer > >vacation with all the time in the world to post or sort > >through a big long list of random garbage. > > > >3) The "let's discuss our other common interests" excuse > >doesn't impress me. A lot of the these off topic posts are > >the same type of junk you might hear being discussed at a > >elementary school bus stop... gossip about celebrities, > >video game tricks, South Park, Godzilla, etc. > > > >4) Imagine you suddenly become interested in the band Soul > >Coughing, for example. You join a list like this one and see > >that most of the the subject names on the list are ones > >like: "Re: Tonight's episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer" If > >I was new to this list, I might unsubscribe seeing what a > >waste of time it is. > > > >5) Suppose you went to an AA meeting and I wasted your > >time by standing up an telling the group the details of my > >struggle to quit smoking. It would be a waste of your time > >wouldn't it? > > > >6) You people that don't think for yourselves assume > >moderation is a bad thing and you start crying > >"censorship!". Moderation would really improve this list. > >Currently, all you OT posters are "censoring" my access to > >TMBG discussion by burying it in a pile of unrelated junk. > >How dare you rob me of my rights!!! Wahhh! Wahhh! > >Censorship! Censorship Waaaahhh! > > > >7) Recently, I've just been throwing the digest away > >without reading it after seeing most of the subject names > >unrelated to TMBG. Otherwise, it's a burden and a bore to > >sort through it all. > > > >8) If you want to discuss random things, why not just go to > >a chat room? > > > >9) If you don't have anything to post that is at least > >vaguely TMBG related, then don't post. I rather see a few > >easily visible TMBG post a day than a flood of miscellany. > > > >10) Finally, the obvious: Not posting off topic messages is > >one of the basic rules of Internet discussion group > >etiquette. > > > >-B O N G O > >_____________________________________________ > >"And the places that I'm dreaming of > >Do they dream only of me?" > > -Tom Waits > > > > > > > > -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <00dc01bda532$30c7f300$20200792@super> From: "David Adams" Subject: Fw: TMBG: Enough Non-TMBG Crap! Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 15:52:38 -0500 -----Original Message----- From: J. L. Moquin >Maybe Someone should start their own, moderated, TMBG-only >list? Maybe someone should start their own unmoderated list to be used as a gathering place for TMBG fans who want to discuss other things... Perhaps tmbg-community@tmbg.org? non-tmbg@tmbg.org? I can see other lists of use... tmbg-announce@tmbg.org tmbg-tour@tmbg.org tmbg-albums@tmbg.org tmbg-only@tmbg.org tmbg-bugs@tmbg.org tmbg-i-hate-particle-man@tmbg.org Think of the fun we could have. People could pick and choose the content they want to receive! The possibilities are endless! David Adams adams@csc.smsu.edu http://www.cs.smsu.edu/~adams ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 15:46:16 -0600 From: The Pope Subject: TMBG: who cares about off-topic disucussin it's NBD!!!!!! As a professional web developer I run a few lists, and these lists have a specified topic that is discussed. However people will and do talk about other topics other than the specified topic for the list, and this isn't a big deal for me or anyone else on the list. I can't see why everyone makes such a big deal about it on this list. I can see if it was spam, but the majority of it isn't spam, and as for those people that get the digest well that's one of the disadvantages of a digest is that you can't pick and choose what emails you want or don't want to read. The people who sign up for the digest should realize this disadvantage of digests rather than complain about getting messages in the digest that they don't want to read. If you don't like it that way then don't sign up for the digest. Oh and digest people can scroll past messages fairly easily if they don't want to read an email in the digest. Anyway, I treat the list like this: This is a list of people who like TMBG. The main discussion of the list is TMBG. However, lists are used to get information and questions across to a large group of people, and if someone has some tid bit of information or a question about something other than TMBG then they should be able to put it on the list. All I have to say now is lets stop this silliness of getting an uneeded moderator and whether or not people can post non-tmbg emails. I mean the majority of the emails ARE about TMBG and that's what makes this a TMBG list. So stop your complaining and just accept the fact that people will on occassion bring up an off-topic discussion. Jason "I generally find it's the computer illiterate who complain" Arnold ICQ: 4703178 ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 17:12:37 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: On the Topic of Off Topic ("Censorship" is bad.) Message-ID: <19980701.171237.3446.1.jbparke@juno.com> From: jbparke@juno.com (Jeff Parker) On Wed, 1 Jul 1998 15:23:27 -0500 "David Adams" writes: >Bongo and others, >Please help me out if you could and point out what part of your >message >below has anything to do with They Might Be Giants? Just curious, >since >you're so concerned with content... ;) > >DaveA I don't see anything wrong with posting about the TMBG list on the list... it seems like a TMBG related post to me... I also don't see what's wrong with posting NON-TMBG topics as long as the postee specifies in the subject that it is an off topic post. I think these little disagreements we have every few months run more people off that NON-TMBG posts ( i know, i'm adding to it)... we've talked about this MANY times before and it never does any good. Unless we get a moderator (which I am totally AGAINST) who reads every message to make sure there is TMBG content, nothing is going to change so we might as well get used to the way it is now... I have expanded my music, reading, auctioning :), movie, and computer game collections because of this list. I think it's great that many of us have interests we share and that we can share our opinions on these interests, especially when there's not much going on in the world of TMBG to talk about... Ok, I think that's all... got to let my fingers rest awhile :) That's it... v^v Jeffro v^v "But I was young and foolish then I feel old and foolish now" _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 18:49:49 +0000 Subject: TMBG: Netiquette -Reply >>> "echuss@notes.cc.bellcore.com" 1/July/1998 04:19pm >>> David Adams wrote: > There is a newsgroup called news.announce.newusers that has a lot of information about newsgroups and courteous posting. The information applies to this group as well. Maybe the info should be put on tmbg.org (hint, hint). It is highly recommended reading for anyone who joins or posts to a newsgroup/listserve. If you haven't read it, it is suggested that you should and you will probably have a very different outlook on why non-tmbg posts should be kept to a minimum. If it really is as useful as you say I suggest you take the hint and post it! Certainly as someone new to newsgroups I would welcome friendly and informative advice about what to wear to the party. In response to people who say "just delete non-tmbg posts", they do not understand that this list is sent out as individual email as well as in digest form (at the end of the day all posts are combined into one Email). This recommendation obviously cannot be undertaken by people who receive the list in digest form for obvious reasons. I am thinking that the digest may be a good idea and Administrivia posts the FAQs and tells me to get further details from a webpage. Apologies if I am missing a trick and being very thick but can some kind person detail to those of use who only have EMail how to subscribe to the digest. Many thanks Richard (Well at least this group hasn't moved onto the World Cup. A sore subject for us English who got knocked out last night for the 3rd time running on a penalty shootout. Suitable TMBG songs for a nation in mourning!? ) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <00f201bda537$f378b380$20200792@super> From: "David Adams" Subject: TMBG: TMBG with a twist of the World Cup Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 16:33:52 -0500 Richard Hilton wrote: >(Well at least this group hasn't moved onto the World Cup. A sore >subject for us English who got knocked out last night for the 3rd time >running on a penalty shootout. Suitable TMBG songs for a nation in >mourning!? ) How about "Weep Day," "Don't Let's Start," "Dig My Grave," "Why Must I Be Sad?," "O Do Not Forsake Me," or "My Own Worst Enemy"? Speaking of the World Cup, the US did terribly! We came in last out of the entire 32-team field! Talk about an embarrassment! :) Unfortunately, I don't think the general public cares that much. I'm telling you, the one thing this world needs more of is rivalry with and antagonism towards the United States! :) David Adams adams@csc.smsu.edu http://www.cs.smsu.edu/~adams ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 1 Jul 98 17:33 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: List Rules, Partilce Man Sucks?, & MIDI's >Particle Man Sucks? Well, as most, it was one of my early TMBG exposures & at >first I liked it, then about two years back I had a real disliking of the >entire Flood album, but then a year or so later I picked it up again & found >my interest had resurfaced. I haven't listened to Flood in about forever, because it's the only one I don't have on cd, and I'm so lazy about cassette tapes.. It's that flipping over thing - you have to GET UP, and then you have to FLIP IT OVER, and then you have to SIT BACK DOWN. *sigh* It's so strenuous. ;) Plus, about the first five minutes of my tape was eaten by my parent's psycho tape player, so Theme From Flood and the beginning of Birdhouse is rather garbled, not to mention the end of Road Movie. So, y'know, if anyone would like to, I dunno, maybe give me a copy of Flood on cd, well, that would make me really happy. ;) I still love Flood, though, even if I don't listen to it too much - songs like "Dead" and "Whistling In the Dark" and of course "Birdhouse in Your Soul" are priceless and beatiful. Kirsten (who tends to think she's quite witty when she's had too much caffeine, but probably isn't) -- [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] "And she said losing love is like a window in your heart Everybody sees you're blown apart..." - Paul Simon "Graceland" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ From: OverpassX@aol.com Message-ID: <776c6124.359aab84@aol.com> Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 17:34:59 EDT Subject: TMBG: john henry w/ bonus tracks? Yesterday as I was browsing through my local CD shop's TMBG collection, I found a version of John Henry with "six bonus live tracks"...... what is this? It was $44..... an import of some type or something?? (please forgive me if this has already been talked about recently....I know you were talking about live stuff lately but I'm pretty sure it was all about STD... but I skim though mail a lot because a lot of it is crap..... as we all know...) Curious Nora :) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <010201bda539$b5d9a320$20200792@super> From: "David Adams" Subject: Re: TMBG: john henry w/ bonus tracks? Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 16:46:27 -0500 I believe that you have found the Australian promo version of John Henry that includes six tracks off the "Live From New York" album that I only wish I could find. $44 is a lot, though. I think it's cheaper on CDNow or Amazon... David Adams adams@csc.smsu.edu http://www.cs.smsu.edu/~adams -----Original Message----- From: To: Date: Wednesday, July 01, 1998 4:35 PM Subject: TMBG: john henry w/ bonus tracks? >Yesterday as I was browsing through my local CD shop's TMBG collection, I >found a version of John Henry with "six bonus live tracks"...... what is this? >It was $44..... an import of some type or something?? >(please forgive me if this has already been talked about recently....I know >you were talking about live stuff lately but I'm pretty sure it was all about >STD... but I skim though mail a lot because a lot of it is crap..... as we all >know...) > > Curious Nora :) > ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980701174816.0069d368@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 17:48:16 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: john henry w/ bonus tracks? It's the Aussie version of John Henry, which has 6 tracks from the 26 track promotional live CD "Live!! NYC". Those songs are...Don't Let's Start, Ana Ng, Particle Man, The Statue Got Me High, Birdhouse In Your Soul, and Twistin'. $44 is WAY too much...I didn't pay that much for the full 26 track CD ($33+s&h)! :) If you're really that interested, though, CDNow has it for $31.99. -Adam At 05:34 PM 7/1/98 EDT, OverpassX@aol.com wrote: >Yesterday as I was browsing through my local CD shop's TMBG collection, I >found a version of John Henry with "six bonus live tracks"...... what is this? >It was $44..... an import of some type or something?? /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: john henry w/ bonus tracks? Message-ID: <19980701.182222.8991.0.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 18:23:27 EDT >I believe that you have found the Australian promo version of John Henry that >includes six tracks off the "Live From New York" album that I only wish I could >find. $44 is a lot, though. I think it's cheaper on CDNow or Amazon... Yeah, I think it's like $33 at CDNow. And since we're on the topic of the "Live From NYC" CD, does anybody know of a radio station or somewhere that has this for sale? I have called several local radio stations, but I can't find any place that has it. Can anybody help me? Maybe check out some places in your area? Thanks. Oh, and on a slightly related topic, does anybody know anything about "MIDI Orchestrater" for Windows? Derek "Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age" _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 18:28:54 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Snail Shell CD << i found a used *album* (yes vinyl) of TMBG's pink album for $3, so i bought it. do i need it? no. ..well you get my idea. >> Hee hee, well, *I* need those pics of the Johns on the record :) They look sooo young! The Lincoln vinyl lp doesn't have anything quite as cool, but I'd still like to have it to mount beside Pink on my wall someday. Kay ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 18:19:32 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Flood Message-ID: <19980701.182051.3230.0.gray42@juno.com> On Wed, 1 Jul 98 17:33 EDT kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) writes: > >>Particle Man Sucks? Well, as most, it was one of my early TMBG >exposures & at >>first I liked it, then about two years back I had a real disliking of >the >>entire Flood album, but then a year or so later I picked it up again >& found >>my interest had resurfaced. > > I haven't listened to Flood in about forever, because it's the >only one I don't have on cd, and I'm so lazy about cassette tapes.. >It's >that flipping over thing - you have to GET UP, and then you have to >FLIP >IT OVER, and then you have to SIT BACK DOWN. *sigh* It's so >strenuous. ;) I soooooo Know what you mean, for a long time, Flood was the only album I did not have on CD, I had it on tape. For a long time I debated w/ myself about getting a copy of it on CD, since I never listened to my tape version (too much trouble), never found any used copies for sale (figures), but I finally ordered it from Columbia House. It came in last weekend, and I've been listening to it like crazy. Sadly I had to listen to it in an extremely paranoid state of mind. Now I have to get IFTS (wish me luck, I need it) WDTSS single, and STD (when it comes out) Afterwards I'll start looking for the hard to get stuff :) >Plus, about the first five minutes of my tape was eaten by my parent's >psycho tape player, so Theme From Flood and the beginning of Birdhouse >is >rather garbled, not to mention the end of Road Movie. In my old copy of Flood (the tape version) Letterbox has worn completely away So, y'know, if >anyone would like to, I dunno, maybe give me a copy of Flood on cd, >well, >that would make me really happy. ;) > I still love Flood, though, even if I don't listen to it too >much >- songs like "Dead" and "Whistling In the Dark" and of course >"Birdhouse >in Your Soul" are priceless and beatiful. > >Kirsten >(who tends to think she's quite witty when she's had too much >caffeine, >but probably isn't) Mysterio Gal (fellow Flood lover) "ME NO LIKE HAMBURGER, ME WANT PEANUTBUTTER, ACTUALLY ME HATE PEANUTBUTTER TOO! ME JUST WANT HAIR!" -- Claire Monster (fully equipped with extremely loud keyboard and monster voice) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 16:45:17 -0600 (MDT) From: Scot Westwood Subject: Re: TMBG: john henry w/ bonus tracks? Message-ID: On Wed, 1 Jul 1998 OverpassX@aol.com wrote: > Yesterday as I was browsing through my local CD shop's TMBG collection, I > found a version of John Henry with "six bonus live tracks"...... what is this? > It was $44..... an import of some type or something?? > (please forgive me if this has already been talked about recently....I know > you were talking about live stuff lately but I'm pretty sure it was all about > STD... but I skim though mail a lot because a lot of it is crap..... as we all > know...) > > Curious Nora :) > Thats pretty pricey. I got the same cd from amazon.com for $33.57 including shipping. It's the australian tours version, a two cd set. The second cd is the 6 song live in New York. If you want to know which six songs they are I'd have to loook to be sure, but I think its birdhouse in your soul, particle man, The statue got me high, Twisting , oh I really don't remember. Scot ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 1 Jul 98 19:26 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Flood Now I have to get IFTS >(wish me luck, I need it) WDTSS single, and STD (when it comes out) >Afterwards I'll start looking for the hard to get stuff :) Ditto. :) Actually, I ordered IFTS from Wherehouse, and they called yesterday to tell me it's in (the guy who called kept giggling over the name; i love that store, they're always so happy to help you out and stuff) but I have no money until Friday, and no ride anyway... *sniffle* I was reduced to going to the Mono Puff site and staring at the cover art and reading all the lyrics. Re: Flood used. The only copy of it used I've seen recently was at Christmas time, and I bought it for my best friend Brenna as a Christmas present. That one shows up fairly regularly at New Moon, however, so I'll find it one of these days... Kirsten -- [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] "And she said losing love is like a window in your heart Everybody sees you're blown apart..." - Paul Simon "Graceland" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #8-3 ****************************