Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #8-4 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 8, Number 4 Saturday, 4 July 1998 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: On the Topic of Off Topic ("Censorship" is good.) TMBG: It's Fun To Steal Re: TMBG: AA TMBG: Born Again Floodie! TMBG: Dirt Bike Sucks & The Rev Gets Vicious Re: TMBG: It's Fun To Steal Re: TMBG: tolken lyric change/ lincoln-the band Re: TMBG: Dirt Bike Sucks & The Rev Gets Vicious Re: TMBG: Dirt Bike Sucks & The Rev Gets Vicious Re: TMBG: It's Fun To Steal Re: TMBG: tolken lyric change/ lincoln-the band Re: TMBG: Dirt Bike Sucks & The Rev Gets Vicious Re: TMBG: Dirt Bike Sucks & The Rev Gets Vicious Re: non TMBG: lincoln-the band Re: TMBG: Dirt Bike Sucks & The Rev Gets Vicious Re: TMBG: tolken lyric change/ lincoln-the band Re: TMBG: tolkien lyric change/ lincoln-the band TMBG: not-tmbg:Lincoln/Vintage Vinyl Re: non TMBG: lincoln-the band TMBG: YaY! Re: Fw: TMBG: Enough Non-TMBG Crap! (WWWAAAA) Re: TMBG: On the Topic of Off Topic ("Censorship" is good.) Re: TMBG: Dirt Bike Sucks & The Rev Gets Vicious TMBG: IFTS (aw yeah) TMBG: FRIENDLY TIP!!!-Enough Non-TMBG Crap! (WWWAAAA) Re: TMBG: Dirt Bike Sucks & The Rev Gets Vicious TMBG: What if... Re: TMBG: What if... Re: TMBG: YaY!/Mono Puff and Pretty fly Re: TMBG: IFTS (aw yeah) Non-TMBG: lincoln-the band Re: TMBG: On the Topic of Off Topic ("Censorship" is good.) Re: TMBG: Re: Elektra-era best of collection TMBG: non-tmbg: me, myself, and i. Re: TMBG: IFTS (aw yeah) NONTMBG: The State Re: TMBG: On the Topic of Off Topic ("Censorship" is good.) Re: NON-TMBG: IFTS (aw yeah) Re: TMBG: What if... TMBG: STD on TV, with Run DMC and TGI Friday's Re: TMBG: tolken lyric change/ lincoln-the band TMBG: Greetings TMBG: Greetings Re: TMBG: On the Topic of Off Topic ("Censorship" is good.) Re: TMBG: On the Topic of Off Topic ("Censorship" is good.) Re: TMBG: On the Topic of Off Topic ("Censorship" is good.) TMBG: Stop whining TMBG: John & John vs. Madonna Re: TMBG: What if... Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 18:43:11 -0500 (CDT) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: On the Topic of Off Topic ("Censorship" is good.) Message-ID: On Wed, 1 Jul 1998, Matthew James wrote: > I think his post has everything to do with proper content. I'm not > going to say I agree or disagree with him 100%, but I would say that the > TMBG-list has a lot ot do with TMBG. After all it is how we all > congregate to talk about TMBG and TMBG-related things. > This particular argument that DaveA, and many others post, is very > trite and contrived to me and is not even valid. TMBG-list discussions > are completely valid in my opinion. All right then, let's change the way we post. No matter what you write about, put "I like the TMBG-list because they let us talk about..." and then continue with your post as normal. Since you're talking about the list, you're fine. Oh no, the poor digest people have to scroll through all these non-TMBG posts. I feel for you. Why not go to list format? Then your delete button will never have to stop moving! Imagine, self-moderation! You say you don't have time to do that? You say you don't have the time to wade through all those messages? You say that you have better things to do with your time than figure out which posts are relevant to Them and which aren't? Well, that's why we don't have moderation. Because no one has the time AND the inclination to do that. So either volunteer to moderate, or deal with it. |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| | Reverend Bill Tatalovich | | | | wt3@cec.wustl.edu | | personnel@kwur.wustl.edu | | | | Visit feedback for toddlers! | | http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/ | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ From: mike12da@cyberwaves.com (Mike Mcguire) Subject: TMBG: It's Fun To Steal Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 23:45:23 GMT Message-Id: <899336723@cyberwaves.com> Organization: SYNERGY RESOURCES, INC. Am I the only one who ordered IFTS so I would get it on the day it came out? Everyone seems to still be trying to get it. I actually ordered Unsupervised and IFTS and got them both on the day IFTS came out. *Mike* ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 18:46:28 -0500 (CDT) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: AA Message-ID: On Wed, 1 Jul 1998, Bongo wrote: > SOME POINTS REGARDING OFF TOPIC POSTS: [clip] > 5) Suppose you went to an AA meeting and I wasted your > time by standing up an telling the group the details of my > struggle to quit smoking. It would be a waste of your time > wouldn't it? You've never been in AA before, have you? AA is about the members' entire lives, even if it does deal with the struggle to quit smoking. Bad example, "Bongo". Move on. |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| | Reverend Bill Tatalovich | | | | wt3@cec.wustl.edu | | personnel@kwur.wustl.edu | | | | Visit feedback for toddlers! | | http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/ | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot@aol.com Message-ID: <66bc9b72.359ace7d@aol.com> Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 20:04:12 EDT Subject: TMBG: Born Again Floodie! >>I have to admit I'm quite surprised that more of you aren't >>defending Particle Man. actually, I weas trying to give defense of particle man, somewhat. My point was that certain songs can become tired if they are listened to too much, & it wasn't until I stopped listening for a while that I became in love with Flood again....I feel like a born again Floodie! jason "born again" glastetter http://www.poingly.com <~~~my ad is part of my sig. now...well, no I'm lying ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000001bda550$f761f240$161f0792@super> From: "David Adams" Subject: TMBG: Dirt Bike Sucks & The Rev Gets Vicious Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 19:30:50 -0500 After all the Particle Man talk, I thought I'd voice my opinion about a song from John Henry that most people seem to adore, but I've always thought of as lame: Dirt Bike. The song is too slow and the lyrics are ridiculous. I've never really been able to get into it. Most songs I usually hate at first and start to like, or love at first and start to hate; but Dirt Bike transcends such categorization. I've always hated it. "Hate" is a strong word, but I think it is an accurate representation of how I feel about this song. I'm just glad they never performed it live at the concerts I've been to. Speaking of hate, the Reverend Bill Tatalovich is gettin' kinda vicious, wouldn't you say? "Bad example, 'Bongo.' Move on." "So either volunteer to moderate, or deal with it." I mean, calm down, Rev. You don't have to ridicule your fellow list-member because you disagree with them, or because you are tired of the thread. Relax! You'll enjoy life, and this list, much more for it! David Adams adams@csc.smsu.edu http://www.cs.smsu.edu/~adams ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19980701201409.007af100@email.psu.edu> Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 20:14:09 -0400 From: "J. L. Moquin" Subject: Re: TMBG: It's Fun To Steal Mike Mcguire wrote: >Am I the only one who ordered IFTS so I would get it on the day it came >out? Everyone seems to still be trying to get it. I actually ordered >Unsupervised and IFTS and got them both on the day IFTS came out. >*Mike* I ordered IFTS so I'd get it the day it came out. CDNow jerked me around for an unseemly length of time, then finally got it to me about 3 weeks after the release date. I shan't be ordering from them again. Pity, as previous to that I was a loyal customer. *shrug* -jennifer, mommy to alice the bean, 8/15/97 UPDATED!! http://www.emprl.psu.edu/~anth/ mailto:jls5@psu.edu "My motto, as I live and learn, Is dig and be dug in return" -- Langston Hughes ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980701194614.006af680@pop.indy.net> Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 19:46:14 -0400 From: rachel Subject: Re: TMBG: tolken lyric change/ lincoln-the band josh buckland wrote: >Um, has anyone noticed that the version of Token back to Brooklyn on >Dial-a-song has the lyrics: "And claims he killed our parents", while >the Factory Showroom version goes:"And says he'll tell our parents"? Why >do they do that? I personaly like "Claims he killed our parents". Does >anyone know the story about the lyrical change? I'd like to know. > ooooh! oooh! i know this one! john and john said in a interview that the reason they changed the lyrics was because "we don't need *anymore* songs about killing our parents, because it doesn't go over well at holiday time." hee hee. i'm not sure if that's an exzact quote, i'd have to go back and listen to the tape again. semi-tmbg content (i say semi because they toured with they recently): does anyone know anything about lincoln's next album? is there going to even be one? is anyone on their mailing list? is it nice over there? should i move? hee hee. i am also interested in knowing if anyone bought their cd before seeing them live? i saw them 3 times before finally getting the cd and loved them live soooo much more. perhaps it was the absence of the keyboardist. just wondering... meow, rachel (fellow marxist and happy atheist) "obsessive projects" can now be found at: http://www.geocities.com/soho/museum/5039 enjoy, (or whatever it is that you do) "i stay inside, i have no television. but i can recite edgar allan poe line for line..." ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 19:48:27 -0500 (CDT) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: Dirt Bike Sucks & The Rev Gets Vicious Message-ID: On Wed, 1 Jul 1998, David Adams wrote: > Speaking of hate, the Reverend Bill Tatalovich is gettin' kinda vicious, > wouldn't you say? > "Bad example, 'Bongo.' Move on." > "So either volunteer to moderate, or deal with it." > > I mean, calm down, Rev. You don't have to ridicule your fellow list-member > because you disagree with them, or because you are tired of the thread. > Relax! You'll enjoy life, and this list, much more for it! Sorry, Dave. These were my pre-nicotine posts. As everyone can attest, I'm not usually like that. But you see, when my sleep schedule involves not seeing the sun for a while, and I wake up without any nicotine in me, I can be a might testy. So, I hereby apologize for those posts. I must admit, though, that it's good occasionally to see that my posts actually get read. Nevertheless, no call for my posts. Sorry. Hanging his head in shame (but chock full o' nicotine now!), |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| | Reverend Bill Tatalovich | | | | wt3@cec.wustl.edu | | personnel@kwur.wustl.edu | | | | Visit feedback for toddlers! | | http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/ | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980702004711.8005.rocketmail@web1.rocketmail.com> Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 17:47:11 -0700 (PDT) From: Danielle Gaither Subject: Re: TMBG: Dirt Bike Sucks & The Rev Gets Vicious ---David Adams wrote: > > After all the Particle Man talk, I thought I'd voice my opinion about a song > from John Henry that most people seem to adore, but I've always thought of > as lame: Dirt Bike. The song is too slow and the lyrics are ridiculous. > I've never really been able to get into it. It's not of my favorites, although I wouldn't go so far as to say I hate it. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you don't like Unrelated Thing either. It does seem that They have a bit of difficulty with slow songs. I guess nobody's perfect. :) > Most songs I usually hate at first and start to like, or love at first and > start to hate; but Dirt Bike transcends such categorization. I've always While it doesn't apply to the song in question, I've experienced similar changes of opinion with various songs. I hated Puppet Head when I first heard it, but now it's one of my favorites off the Pink Album. On the flip side, I don't like Cowtown as much as I used to. > hated it. "Hate" is a strong word, but I think it is an accurate > representation of how I feel about this song. I'm just glad they never > performed it live at the concerts I've been to. I can't imagine Dirt Bike being very good live. But maybe some of you who have seen it can correct me. > Speaking of hate, the Reverend Bill Tatalovich is gettin' kinda vicious, > wouldn't you say? > "Bad example, 'Bongo.' Move on." > "So either volunteer to moderate, or deal with it." Sometimes you have to just cut to the chase. Having a relative in AA, I know that anything relating to that is a very sensitive issue for all involved. Perhaps Bongo hit on a nerve. It happens to us all sometimes. If this is considered vicious, I'm glad. I've been on other lists that are unable to have a civil conversation of any kind. > I mean, calm down, Rev. You don't have to ridicule your fellow list-member > because you disagree with them, or because you are tired of the thread. > Relax! You'll enjoy life, and this list, much more for it! Maybe you have a point, but people need to vent sometimes. I don't see what the big deal is. A fellow Reverend, Danielle Inspector Over the Mine === URL: http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/1054/index.html "Should you worry when the skullhead is in front of you, or is it worse because it's always waiting where your eyes don't go?" --They Might Be Giants _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <17f4f69b.359adc5d@aol.com> Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 21:03:24 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: It's Fun To Steal In a message dated 7/1/98 7:49:58 PM, mike12da@cyberwaves.com wrote: >Am I the only one who ordered IFTS so I would get it on the day it came >out? Everyone seems to still be trying to get it. I actually ordered >Unsupervised and IFTS and got them both on the day IFTS came out. well, actually *I* went to the store and bought it the day it came out. ::shrug:: :) sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980702011131.6400.rocketmail@web4.rocketmail.com> Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 18:11:31 -0700 (PDT) From: Danielle Gaither Subject: Re: TMBG: tolken lyric change/ lincoln-the band ---rachel wrote: > > ooooh! oooh! i know this one! john and john said in a interview that the > reason they changed the lyrics was because "we don't need *anymore* songs > about killing our parents, because it doesn't go over well at holiday > time." hee hee. i'm not sure if that's an exzact quote, i'd have to go back > and listen to the tape again. You know, that's one of those things that's funny and disturbing at the same time. Both seem to at least imply that they get along great with their parents. Then why the songs? I guess it could be similar to why my male leads in my novels always end up as these incredibly tortured souls who hate their fathers, although I wouldn't say that describes me. I read somewhere that Linnell's father is a psychiatrist. I bet he just has a field day with his son's work. :) > meow, > rachel (fellow marxist and happy atheist) Fellow atheist but not a Marxist, Danielle Inspector Over the Mine === URL: http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/1054/index.html "Should you worry when the skullhead is in front of you, or is it worse because it's always waiting where your eyes don't go?" --They Might Be Giants _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 1 Jul 98 21:16 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Dirt Bike Sucks & The Rev Gets Vicious > >After all the Particle Man talk, I thought I'd voice my opinion about a song >from John Henry that most people seem to adore, but I've always thought of >as lame: Dirt Bike. The song is too slow and the lyrics are ridiculous. >I've never really been able to get into it. I've never understood the unreasoning hatred some people have for this song - it's officially one of my favorites. Mostly for the instrumentation, I guess. If you ask me, the arrangement of the horn section is fabulous. Maybe I'm biased; there are two things I'm a sucker for in a song: a Hammond organ, and a good horn section. Consequently, John Henry is probably my official favorite album. :) But I love this song. It's slow and mellow, but with an underlying tension in Flans' voice that hints at things unmentioned... And who says the lyrics are ridiculous? "Here comes the dirtbike/beware of the dirtbike" is ridiculous, but "Exquisite dead guy/outside my high rise apartment" isn't? Not to bash "Exquisite Dead Guy" by any means, of course; I'm just pointing out that many of TMBG's lyrics could be categorized as "ridiculous." >Speaking of hate, the Reverend Bill Tatalovich is gettin' kinda vicious, >wouldn't you say? I dunno, I was kind of thinking he was making some good points, but hey... ;) Kirsten (supporter of other peoples' perceived viciousness) -- [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] "And she said losing love is like a window in your heart Everybody sees you're blown apart..." - Paul Simon "Graceland" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <795f0a0.359adf99@aol.com> Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 21:17:01 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Dirt Bike Sucks & The Rev Gets Vicious In a message dated 7/1/98 8:29:50 PM, adams@csc.smsu.edu wrote: >After all the Particle Man talk, I thought I'd voice my opinion about a song > >from John Henry that most people seem to adore, but I've always thought of > >as lame: Dirt Bike. The song is too slow and the lyrics are ridiculous. > >I've never really been able to get into it. > ...um.. your loss eh? I love dirtbike... and hot cha. what do i usually skip over? ...unrelated thing, the day, alienation's for the rich, birdhouse, particle man, (she was a) hotel detective, absolutely bill's mood, see the constellation, hypnotist of ladies.. i don't *hate* these tracks, but if i'm in the mood to skip the song, i will. > >Speaking of hate, the Reverend Bill Tatalovich is gettin' kinda vicious, > >wouldn't you say? no. sarah* ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <616b04a6.359ae21e@aol.com> Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 21:27:57 EDT Subject: Re: Re: non TMBG: lincoln-the band In a message dated 7/1/98 7:57:21 PM, meow@tmbg.org wrote: >semi-tmbg content (i say semi because they toured with they recently): >does anyone know anything about lincoln's next album? is there going to >even be one? is anyone on their mailing list? is it nice over there? should >i move? hee hee. i am also interested in knowing if anyone bought their cd >before seeing them live? i saw them 3 times before finally getting the cd >and loved them live soooo much more. perhaps it was the absence of the >keyboardist. just wondering... don't yell at me. this could be a personal email, but i know a lot of you like this band seeing as they toured with tmbg so.. (you know.. why should i even have to justify the relatedness to tmbg.. screw it..) i saw them live 2 times - once in november with dan (miller) [the keyboardist] - and in april without. with him they were SO much better.i don't believe there's a (e)mailing list but there is a snail mail one (i signed up in april:)) .. there are a few sites... lincolntheband.org (or thebandlincoln.. i can't remember ) and another one that had a message board but i can't think of the url.. :( anyways.. ~sarah* ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 1 Jul 98 21:20 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Dirt Bike Sucks & The Rev Gets Vicious >I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you don't like Unrelated Thing either. > It does seem that They have a bit of difficulty with slow songs. I guess >nobody's perfect. :) I used to really detest "Unrelated Thing," but for some reason lately I've been kind of getting into it. It's got great lyrics. On the other hand, I used to love "I Should Be Allowed to Think," but now it sort of gets on my nerves - it's so repetitive, musically. >I can't imagine Dirt Bike being very good live. But maybe some of you who >have seen it can correct me. I've never seen it live, but with a good horn section it could be quite impressive.. I've always thought my friend Aaron's jazz combo should perform it. Kirsten -- [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] "And she said losing love is like a window in your heart Everybody sees you're blown apart..." - Paul Simon "Graceland" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 1 Jul 98 21:26 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: tolken lyric change/ lincoln-the band Both seem to at least imply that they get along great with their >parents. Then why the songs? I guess it could be similar to why my male >leads in my novels always end up as these incredibly tortured souls who hate >their fathers, although I wouldn't say that describes me. I think often their songs are about imaginary characters, not necessarily themselves; I can remember an info club newsletter where Linnell (or was it Flans? I can't remember who sings that song) was asked about "Why Must I Be Sad?" and said something like, "It's one of our songs that says 'I' a lot but isn't about me." Or something like that. >I read somewhere that Linnell's father is a psychiatrist. I bet he just has a >field day with his son's work. :) lol... When we first discovered TMBG, my little brother got in trouble with my mom for writing the lyrics to "Where Your Eyes Don't Go" on the sidewalk in chalk - she was afraid the neighbors would think he was schitzophrenic (sp?). She still maintains that the Johns are schitzo, muttering things about "word salads" when we listen to them. :} Kirsten (posting an awful lot today - and all TMBG related!) -- [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] "And she said losing love is like a window in your heart Everybody sees you're blown apart..." - Paul Simon "Graceland" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 18:46:59 -0700 (PDT) Message-Id: From: Bob Gonsalves Subject: Re: TMBG: tolkien lyric change/ lincoln-the band >>I read somewhere that Linnell's father is a psychiatrist. I bet he just >>has a >>field day with his son's work. :) > > lol... When we first discovered TMBG, my little brother got in >trouble with my mom for writing the lyrics to "Where Your Eyes Don't Go" >on the sidewalk in chalk - she was afraid the neighbors would think he was >schitzophrenic (sp?). She still maintains that the Johns are schitzo, >muttering things about "word salads" when we listen to them. :} As someone who works with people who've had their linguistic capabilities damaged by stroke or other brain damage ("word salad" being one of many bizarre results), I'd say the Johns are, if anything, the exact opposite. ------------------------------ From: DrWormX@AOL.COM Message-ID: <35609a44.359aed39@aol.com> Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 22:15:19 EDT Subject: TMBG: not-tmbg:Lincoln/Vintage Vinyl I went to vintage vinyl (a local record store with a great selection) and I saw the Lincoln record, and decided that since I heard everyone on this list talking about how great they were (and how rare the album was) I'd try and experiment a little (it was only ten bucks). Anyway, I love it, and I've never seen them in concert. On a further note, I'd like to reccomend this record store to anyone in the New Jersey area. This is where I got both the WDTSS? and S~E~X~X~Y lp's. Even though the main population of the store is wacko's, it has a great selection, and even a whole lot of old records. Matt--blame it on pez addiction You're really alive when you wish you were dead. And there isn't a god, or a heaven or hell, life's a little old apple and a William Tell ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980701224021.006a0a88@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 22:40:21 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: Re: non TMBG: lincoln-the band The official site is http://www.thebandlincoln.com/ I think I remember reading on the board that they're doing preliminary stuff for their second album. -Adam At 09:27 PM 7/1/98 EDT, KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: > >i saw them live 2 times - once in november with dan (miller) [the keyboardist] >- and in april without. with him they were SO much better.i don't believe >there's a (e)mailing list but there is a snail mail one (i signed up in >april:)) .. there are a few sites... lincolntheband.org (or thebandlincoln.. i >can't remember ) and another one that had a message board but i can't think >of the url.. :( anyways.. /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 23:12:51 -0400 Subject: TMBG: YaY! Message-ID: <19980701.231315.3230.0.gray42@juno.com> Yay, I finally got It's Fun To Steal! I've listened to it at least 5 times so far, I can't get enough of it. Of course, the first thing I had to listen to was "Hidden Track" and then I had to play it for my best friend who got a real kick out of it :) I've begun to feel a deep love of these following tracks: Creepy (that whole 70's porn thang),Poison Flowers, Taste The Bass, Pretty Fly (real easy to learn and sing along with), and Night Security (I love Barry's voice). I know this is only semi TMBG related, but it is Flansie, and every little annoying post help eh? :P am I crazy, or does the It's Fun To Steal track sound like it came from some old sitcom from the Taxi era? it just seems like such a good sitcom theme song Mysterio Gal (happy) "ME NO LIKE HAMBURGER, ME WANT PEANUTBUTTER, ACTUALLY ME HATE PEANUTBUTTER TOO! ME JUST WANT HAIR!" -- Claire Monster (fully equipped with extremely loud keyboard and monster voice) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <359AFFAC.CBE09CD4@home.com> Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 20:34:06 -0700 From: NICHOLAS JANSSEN Organization: @Home Network Subject: Re: Fw: TMBG: Enough Non-TMBG Crap! (WWWAAAA) To all who do not want non-TMBG posts: Would you please quit your moaning! You: WWWAAAA. I have to take a two seconds out of my all important day to scroll down posts I don't want to see. I know there marked non-TMBG but I don't care about other people and what they like to do to have fun. WWWAAAA. Really, get a grip. There is obviously enough people on the list who like to talk about non-TMBG subjects that there should be no argument about if we should or should not have non-Tmbg subjects. Thank you Nicholas. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 20:34:19 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: On the Topic of Off Topic ("Censorship" is good.) Message-ID: also, if you don't have time to wade through the Non TMBG "crap", then maybe you don't have time for the list, considering that's a large part of what the list is. Jon Helfgott ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 20:36:34 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: Dirt Bike Sucks & The Rev Gets Vicious Message-ID: I personally think the rev sounds more convincing when he's "vicious" as you say, he also had a good point. ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 23:19:47 -0400 Subject: TMBG: IFTS (aw yeah) Message-ID: <19980701.232010.3230.1.gray42@juno.com> oops, I forgot to mentio one thing in my last post. Does anyone else on the the list get the uncontrollable (sp?) urge to shout "AWWWWW YEAHHHH!" everytime the song Creepy starts? Mysterio Gal (AWWWWW YEAHHHH!) "ME NO LIKE HAMBURGER, ME WANT PEANUTBUTTER, ACTUALLY ME HATE PEANUTBUTTER TOO! ME JUST WANT HAIR!" -- Claire Monster (fully equipped with extremely loud keyboard and monster voice) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <359B03CA.5CF7D206@home.com> Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 20:51:41 -0700 From: NICHOLAS JANSSEN Organization: @Home Network Subject: TMBG: FRIENDLY TIP!!!-Enough Non-TMBG Crap! (WWWAAAA) Friendly tip! If you don't like having to trash each post individually make a liter to filter all of the list posts straight to the trash, and then when your done with you session they do a mass tashing. It works great for me! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 00:54:13 -0500 (CDT) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: Dirt Bike Sucks & The Rev Gets Vicious Message-ID: On Wed, 1 Jul 1998, leonard helfgott wrote: > I personally think the rev sounds more convincing when he's "vicious" as > you say, he also had a good point. Cool. So now I'm "the Rev"? All right...I can deal with that. That's a pretty good alter ego for me while I'm on this list. Thanks for the tip, Mr. Helfgott. The Rev |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| | Reverend Bill Tatalovich | | | | wt3@cec.wustl.edu | | personnel@kwur.wustl.edu | | | | Visit feedback for toddlers! | | http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/ | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ From: MatFoley99@aol.com Message-ID: <15312bef.359b2637@aol.com> Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 02:18:30 EDT Subject: TMBG: What if... Okay, I was sitting in bed the other day (or night, I guess) and thought of a really cool scenario type question to ask you all: What if STD makes it big? If this Dr Worm video does happen, then say it made it's way onto MTV and became a smash hit, would you like that? Severe Tire Damage goes Platinum, and They Might Be Giants is the newest craze. People flood (yes, I see the pun) the stores to buy anything and everything related to TMBG, what would you think? I personally am still bewildered by it. One thing I love about being a They Might Be Giants fan is that I know that I am one of few. I don't know if I'd like them less if everyone else liked them more...I know I'd still love Their music, but I don't know if I'd like being a fan as much, you know? It's still a confusing question, and definately one I shouldn't be pondering at like two in the morning. Thanks for listening, er, reading. Chris "I own a pair of stolen bowling shoes" Brannan ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 23:29:49 -0700 (PDT) From: Alon Yaari Subject: Re: TMBG: What if... Message-ID: > >What if STD makes it big? > If it makes it big and everyone clamors into the stores and TMBG is the new rage, then my signed shirt will probably be worth more than the $18 I paid for it... The Yar Geographer to the masses ------------------------------ From: CajunGram@aol.com Message-ID: <96ec151d.359b2cea@aol.com> Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 02:47:05 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: YaY!/Mono Puff and Pretty fly In a message dated 98-07-01 23:41:52 EDT, you write: << I've begun to feel a deep love of these following tracks: Creepy (that whole 70's porn thang),Poison Flowers, Taste The Bass, Pretty Fly (real easy to learn and sing along with) >> I have a question... for those of you who have both IFTS and The Devil Went Down To Newport, which version, if there are any differences, do you like better? I on;y have the DWDTN 7" version, and I was really curious how the IFTS version measures up... Graham ------------------------------ From: CajunGram@aol.com Message-ID: <293cb9e.359b2e0d@aol.com> Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 02:51:55 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: IFTS (aw yeah) In a message dated 98-07-01 23:42:06 EDT, you write: << oops, I forgot to mentio one thing in my last post. Does anyone else on the the list get the uncontrollable (sp?) urge to shout "AWWWWW YEAHHHH!" everytime the song Creepy starts? >> AWWWWWWW YEAHHHH!!!! We got $240 dollars worth of puddin', AWWWWWWW YEAHHHH!!!! Barry baby, what does it say there on the side of the box? Aw Levone, it says "Cook.... and then chill" ANd Barry that's what we're gonna be doing tonight, we gonna be cookin' ansd chillin' AWWWWWWWW YEAHHHHH!!!! Sorry, State Flashback Does anyone rememeber that show from MTV? Graham "Taking the State off the air is the stupidest thing MTV has done" Amsden "If you name is not Chelsea Clinton, now would be a good time to go make yourself a sandwhich. Chelsea, please, let us come and sleep over at the White House. We promise we won't break anything. All you have to do is say, 'Please don't touch that, that was Lincoln's' and we'll put it down, no hard feelings. We could all sleep in Taft's bed..." -The State ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199807020833.EAA07042@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Thu, 02 Jul 1998 03:33:31 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Non-TMBG: lincoln-the band >semi-tmbg content (i say semi because they toured with they recently): >does anyone know anything about lincoln's next album? is there going to >even be one? is anyone on their mailing list? is it nice over there? should >i move? hee hee. i am also interested in knowing if anyone bought their cd >before seeing them live? i saw them 3 times before finally getting the cd >and loved them live soooo much more. perhaps it was the absence of the >keyboardist. just wondering... Lincoln has a mailing list? Does anyone have any info on it? Thanks, Mitcharf ------------------------------ Message-ID: <359B6909.BB3EC000@pacificnet.net> Date: Thu, 02 Jul 1998 03:03:41 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: Re: TMBG: On the Topic of Off Topic ("Censorship" is good.) David Adams wrote: > Bongo and others, > Please help me out if you could and point out what part of your message > below has anything to do with They Might Be Giants? Just curious, since > you're so concerned with content... ;) > > DaveA > > The TMBG list is part of the the TMBG followers' universe therefore when the list itself is my topic I *am* discussing something TMBG related. Even if you think it is off topic, one off-topic message that squelches many others makes obvious sense, doesn't it? Really I wouldn't be complaining except the ratio of non-TMBG to TMBG posts is enormous these days. I get annoyed when OT posts exceed 25% of days posts. Right now they seem to be at 70% . -B O N G O ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 02 Jul 1998 06:42:19 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Woodward Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Elektra-era best of collection Message-id: On Mon, 29 Jun 1998, Adam Tyner wrote: > I don't really think Elektra would release a 'best of' collection since > there are only 4 CDs of Elektra-era material from which to draw upon, only > a handful were released as singles, and very few of those even charted. > Add in designing the graphics, royalties, distribution costs, promotion, > etc., and it seems even less likely. Oh well. :-) Although the way things have been going lately with their releases, it doesn't seem so far fetched. :) After STD, we get the "Best of Elektra Days" CD, and then the remix album, and then the 6-CD Box Set (heh, with minor reference to BNL on this one, since that song fits this scenario on so many levels) But seriously, there was this great batch of songs that didn't make it on to Factory Showroom. So they take these, play them live for a couple years, and then never do anything with them? There have been a few new ones since then, yeah, but Dr. Worm stands out as the only _great_ song. And that's coming out with STD. Are they basically at square one for writing material for a new (actually _new_) CD? Or are they just hiding their new songs while they flood the market with rehashed material? * ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Josh Woodward, CheEsy Fru. joshw@mail.bgsu.edu Web Site and Tape List: http://www.dc-adnet.com/joshw/ "I will hold on. And if that's not what you're used to, Then I may refuse to." - Moxy Fruvous ------------------------------ Message-ID: <359B49FE.5C04@fuse.net> Date: Thu, 02 Jul 1998 01:51:10 -0700 From: jays your one-paged dictionary Organization: dial-a-song! 718-387-6962, narrrrrrrrr! Subject: TMBG: non-tmbg: me, myself, and i. to all my dear listee friends, comrades, and dire enemies alike: due to a wish to draw myself deeper into a void of boredom unaided by outside stimuli, i am--for the current time, at least--unsubscribing to this list. it is not in any way related to off-topic posting; however, the resulting flames from individuals angry about said off-topic posting did act to speed my decision. hint hint, nudge nudge. i hope to return. i don't know when, but it's nice and comfy here, and i kinda like having a spot to call my own. perhaps when things start lookin up--fer now, all who would wish know how to reach me. peace, love, and good happiness stuff, king of the delta blues, the owner of several small countries, president of the united states, jay. -- jayhc, waving bye bye to all the nice people. e-mail: sirjamez@fuse.net, phonebook@tmbg.org aol im: SaturnChrd, PhoneBookJ irc: PhoneBook "and sadly the cross-eyed bear's been put to sleep behind the stairs, and his shoes are laced with irony." --tmbg "At least SOMETHING good came out of it." --my friend matt, after hearing that jehova's witnesses were victims of the holocaust -- ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: IFTS (aw yeah) Message-ID: <19980702.090244.14574.0.Superman75@juno.com> From: superman75@juno.com (Adam Schaaf) Date: Thu, 02 Jul 1998 09:02:16 EDT hi. >oops, I forgot to mentio one thing in my last post. Does anyone else >on the the list get the uncontrollable (sp?) urge to shout "AWWWWW >YEAHHHH!" everytime the song Creepy starts? for some strage reason, i've been doing that with about every song on that album. it's some weird natural response to funk and funky-related music. i also throw in the word "Baby" a lot. adam schaaf, welcome to new york city. _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980702135558.10551.rocketmail@web2.rocketmail.com> Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 06:55:58 -0700 (PDT) From: Danielle Gaither Subject: NONTMBG: The State ---CajunGram@aol.com wrote: > > In a message dated 98-07-01 23:42:06 EDT, you write: > > << oops, I forgot to mentio one thing in my last post. Does anyone else on > the the list get the uncontrollable (sp?) urge to shout "AWWWWW YEAHHHH!" > everytime the song Creepy starts? > >> > > AWWWWWWW YEAHHHH!!!! We got $240 dollars worth of puddin', AWWWWWWW > YEAHHHH!!!! Barry baby, what does it say there on the side of the box? Aw > Levone, it says "Cook.... and then chill" ANd Barry that's what we're gonna be > doing tonight, we gonna be cookin' ansd chillin' AWWWWWWWW YEAHHHHH!!!! Yes! Or I suppose I should say Awwww, yeah! Barry and Levon were quite possibly my favorite characters on that short-lived show. Closely followed by the Jew, the Italian, and the Redhead Gay. > Sorry, State Flashback > > Does anyone rememeber that show from MTV? Yes, I do. Oddly enough, I have yet to watch Viva Variety (which features some of the same cast). Stop sending such funny emails! I'm at work, dammit. If I look too happy at work, people get suspicious. That should say something. > Graham "Taking the State off the air is the stupidest thing MTV has done" > Amsden > > "If you name is not Chelsea Clinton, now would be a good time to go make > yourself a sandwhich. Chelsea, please, let us come and sleep over at the White > House. We promise we won't break anything. All you have to do is say, 'Please > don't touch that, that was Lincoln's' and we'll put it down, no hard feelings. > We could all sleep in Taft's bed..." > -The State LOL! I'd forgotten about that. That was another good one. Remember the "Sleep With The State Essay Concept"? I nearly fell off my couch laughing at that one. Containing her secret smile, Danielle Inspector Over the Mine === URL: http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/1054/index.html "Should you worry when the skullhead is in front of you, or is it worse because it's always waiting where your eyes don't go?" --They Might Be Giants _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@khserver.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9807021341.AA03889@khserver.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: On the Topic of Off Topic ("Censorship" is good.) Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 09:41:04 -0400 (EDT) > On Wed, 1 Jul 1998, Matthew James wrote: > > > I think his post has everything to do with proper content. I'm not > > going to say I agree or disagree with him 100%, but I would say that the > > TMBG-list has a lot ot do with TMBG. After all it is how we all > > congregate to talk about TMBG and TMBG-related things. > > This particular argument that DaveA, and many others post, is very > > trite and contrived to me and is not even valid. TMBG-list discussions > > are completely valid in my opinion. > > All right then, let's change the way we post. No matter what you write > about, put "I like the TMBG-list because they let us talk about..." and > then continue with your post as normal. Since you're talking about the > list, you're fine. > > Oh no, the poor digest people have to scroll through all these non-TMBG > posts. I feel for you. Why not go to list format? Then your delete > button will never have to stop moving! Imagine, self-moderation! You say > you don't have time to do that? You say you don't have the time to > wade through all those messages? You say that you have better things > to do with your time than figure out which posts are relevant to Them > and which aren't? Well, that's why we don't have moderation. Because no > one has the time AND the inclination to do that. So either volunteer to > moderate, or deal with it. I disagree with you when you say, "No matter what you write about, put 'I like the TMBG-list because they let us talk about...' and then continue with your post as normal". That would not be valid because you would not actually be talking about the TMBG-list. Just because you type the word TMBG-list does not mean you are actually talking about the list. Therefore, it would not be relevent. Do you see my point? The rest of your post describes my point exactly. You wanted to post this e-mail about the list right? You felt that it was necessary to send your argument on how you feel the list should be run. If someone sent bulls**t to the list multiple times and you felt you could never respond arguing about how it is inappropriate then you'd feel repressed, I'm sure. Your post is about the TMBG-list and is valid. Once you've made your post, hopefully the inappropriate poster will stop posting inappropriate things. If not, then you must seek other ways to stop it, if you can. If not, just go on posting about TMBG and hope that everyone else continues to. There's only so much power an individual listee has, but if you can voice your opinion on list matters it is not only relevent, but possibly will prevent future inappropriate posts. Just stating my opinion, Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 02 Jul 1998 09:22:18 -0500 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: IFTS (aw yeah) Message-id: <359B979A.28720D1C@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> CajunGram@aol.com wrote: > AWWWWWWW YEAHHHH!!!! We got $240 dollars worth of puddin', AWWWWWWW > YEAHHHH!!!! Barry baby, what does it say there on the side of the box? Aw > Levone, it says "Cook.... and then chill" ANd Barry that's what we're gonna be > doing tonight, we gonna be cookin' ansd chillin' AWWWWWWWW YEAHHHHH!!!! "Now, you may wanna ask me, Hey, where'd you get 240 dollars work of puddin'? To that, I say don't ask that question." > Does anyone rememeber that show from MTV? I would say, yes I do. Unfortunately. - Chad "I find it incredibly funny that other people use the $240 dollars worth of pudding line in their general lives. Incredibly funny. Really." Maloney ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 2 Jul 98 11:52 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: What if... >What if STD makes it big? If this Dr Worm video does happen, then say it made >it's way onto MTV and became a smash hit, would you like that? Severe Tire >Damage goes Platinum, and They Might Be Giants is the newest craze. People >flood (yes, I see the pun) the stores to buy anything and everything related >to TMBG, what would you think? Well, then STD would probably be Uber-Flood, and after the commotion toned down TMBG would be "old news" and the stores would flood with used copies of STD because "god, that's so 1998". It'd be like Green Day and "Dookie" or something.. I for one, would say things like, "Yeah man, I've been a fan for eight years; where have you been?" to all the people who suddenly liked TMBG, and I'd be able to be all cool and superior about it. ;) Then, when the furor died down, I'd just go back to my old "I Heart TMBG" lifestyle and forget about that weird six months when TMBG was popular. Kirsten -- [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] "And she said losing love is like a window in your heart Everybody sees you're blown apart..." - Paul Simon "Graceland" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Message-ID: <359BAF5D.6BD@rica.net> Date: Thu, 02 Jul 1998 12:03:41 -0400 From: Joey Groah Subject: TMBG: STD on TV, with Run DMC and TGI Friday's How about e-mailing talent bookers on shows like Rosie O'Donnell requesting TMBG on the show? With the Dr. Worm video, a label that buys ads in magazines, and the familiarity of the general populace with some of the live songs, why shouldn't all ages-friendly TMBG be seen on Rosie? I think Dr. Worm alone should be reason enough. Better TMBG than another Broadway cast that I won't ever see... not that there's anything wrong with Broadway;) Anybody have other mass media appearance suggestions beyond Conan? I know we're not PR image-makers but I'd like to see more TV shots. TMBG could start gun running and get caught then go on Springer and start a fight... Joey, not a number, but a free man ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980702163226.00691b98@cybnetonline.com> Date: Thu, 02 Jul 1998 11:32:26 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: tolken lyric change/ lincoln-the band >semi-tmbg content (i say semi because they toured with they recently): >does anyone know anything about lincoln's next album? is there going to >even be one? is anyone on their mailing list? is it nice over there? should >i move? hee hee. i am also interested in knowing if anyone bought their cd >before seeing them live? i saw them 3 times before finally getting the cd >and loved them live soooo much more. perhaps it was the absence of the >keyboardist. just wondering... > I bought their album, and I still haven't seen 'em live. It's one of my fav'rit albums. I like to put it in the disk changer with the 2 Lisa Loeb CD's. Don't ask me why, I just think they fit together. I wish I could see them live, Hell I wish I could see anyone live. LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980702163758.29630.rocketmail@attach1.rocketmail.com> Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 09:37:58 -0700 (PDT) From: Ethan Jones Subject: TMBG: Greetings Hiya! I'm new to this list, and just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Ethan Jones, and I'm a sophomore in college. I've been a fan of TMBG ever since my good friend Heather introduced me to them several years back. I've only ever seen them in concert once, in Dallas last november, (a fantastic concert). Anyway I look forward to hearing from other fans of TMBG. By the way, that last post about e-mailing talk show hosts is a great idea. Conan and Rosie would be the perfect venues for TMBG to strut their stuff, and perhaps even Oprah (long-shot perhaps but an idea.) Who knows, maybe if enough people e-mail we might see TMBG on Letterman!!! Cheers-- Ethan === Check out my website! http://www.crosswinds.net/paris/~ejones42 "Though you turn a fire over, its flame will never flow down." _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980702164145.6719.rocketmail@web4.rocketmail.com> Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 09:41:45 -0700 (PDT) From: Ethan Jones Subject: TMBG: Greetings Hiya! I'm new to this list, and just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Ethan Jones, and I'm a sophomore in college. I've been a fan of TMBG ever since my good friend Heather introduced me to them several years back. I've only ever seen them in concert once, in Dallas last november, (a fantastic concert). Anyway I look forward to hearing from other fans of TMBG. By the way, that last post about e-mailing talk show hosts is a great idea. Conan and Rosie would be the perfect venues for TMBG to strut their stuff, and perhaps even Oprah (long-shot perhaps but an idea.) Who knows, maybe if enough people e-mail we might see TMBG on Letterman!!! Cheers-- Ethan === Check out my website! http://www.crosswinds.net/paris/~ejones42 "Though you turn a fire over, its flame will never flow down." _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 12:06:05 -0500 (CDT) From: The Reverend Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: On the Topic of Off Topic ("Censorship" is good.) Message-ID: On Thu, 2 Jul 1998, Bongo wrote: > The TMBG list is part of the the TMBG followers' universe > therefore when the list itself is my topic I *am* discussing something TMBG > related. Even if you think it is off topic, one off-topic message that > squelches many others makes obvious sense, doesn't it? Now wait a minute here. According to the (unchanged) post above from pro-moderation pundit Bongo, anything that is a "part of the TMBG followers' universe" is on-topic. Isn't television a part of the TMBG followers' universe? (and don't lie and say you don't watch television. You own one, don't you? Or, you once owned one, didn't you?) And aren't other bands, movies, books, bodily functions, etc., etc., ad nauseum, part of the TMBG followers' universe? Admittedly, there is a slight difference in each individual list members' life (thank god...), but nevertheless, we are discussing parts of our universe. Thus, all of our posts are on-topic. Makes sense to me....according to Bongo's logic. Nitpicking, nicotine-filled, and loving every minute of it, The Rev |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| | Reverend Bill Tatalovich | | | | wt3@cec.wustl.edu | | personnel@kwur.wustl.edu | | | | Visit feedback for toddlers! | | http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/ | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 12:27:34 -0500 (CDT) From: The Reverend Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: On the Topic of Off Topic ("Censorship" is good.) Message-ID: Continuing the half-meant, half-let's-drag-this-out-as-far-as-we-can crusade against moderation.... On Thu, 2 Jul 1998, Matthew James wrote: > I disagree with you when you say, "No matter what you write about, put > 'I like the TMBG-list because they let us talk about...' and then > continue with your post as normal". That would not be valid because you > would not actually be talking about the TMBG-list. Just because you > type the word TMBG-list does not mean you are actually talking about the > list. Therefore, it would not be relevent. Do you see my point? Did you see MY point? I was kidding, Matt. My apparent job here has been to show the fallacies of some of these arguments by blowing them up, shrinking them down, whatever. > The rest of your post describes my point exactly. You wanted to post > this e-mail about the list right? You felt that it was necessary to > send your argument on how you feel the list should be run. If someone > sent bulls**t to the list multiple times and you felt you could never > respond arguing about how it is inappropriate then you'd feel repressed, > I'm sure. Your post is about the TMBG-list and is valid. Once you've > made your post, hopefully the inappropriate poster will stop posting > inappropriate things. If not, then you must seek other ways to stop it, > if you can. If not, just go on posting about TMBG and hope that > everyone else continues to. There's only so much power an individual > listee has, but if you can voice your opinion on list matters it is not > only relevent, but possibly will prevent future inappropriate posts. First off, it's a bit naive to think that the "inappropriate poster" will stop said posts when you ask him/her nicely. A good example would be now. Even with all the talk of moderation (by the way, I don't think it's censorship...I just think moderation ain't feasible unless we pay someone to do it, in which case I volunteer), "netiquette" (I hate catch words), and all that, we still are getting posts about The State, Lincoln, etc., etc. So obviously these "inappropriate posters" haven't learned their lesson. What do you propose? We kick them off the list? It will be a small, small, boring list if that happens. People seemed to get the impression that I feel that posts about the TMBG-list should not occur, as they are "off-topic." Of course not. Again, I am merely kidding when I say that the pro-on-topic people are themselves off-topic. I say, post what you want. Let the list deal with it. Feeling strangely fine, The Reverend Bill "am I being inflammatory again?" Tatalovich |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| | Reverend Bill Tatalovich | | | | wt3@cec.wustl.edu | | personnel@kwur.wustl.edu | | | | Visit feedback for toddlers! | | http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/ | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980702135520.006a0ce0@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Thu, 02 Jul 1998 13:55:20 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: On the Topic of Off Topic ("Censorship" is good.) At 12:27 PM 7/2/98 -0500, The Reverend Bill Tatalovich wrote: > >words), and all that, we still are getting posts about The State, Lincoln, How is Lincoln off-topic? They've been touring with TMBG for a while now, and they share the same management. -Adam /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 11:11:26 -0700 (PDT) From: "J. Brown" Subject: TMBG: Stop whining Message-ID: On the dozen or so lists i'm on, everyonce and a while somebody posts about how there is too much off topic content on the list. Almost always these are people who don't post much or not at all. To them i say don't bitch about it. Post about what you wanna see more of. Moderators do nothing but stagnate the list. Want more TMBG then post insightful posts about TMBG. Don'rt justwait for those that do post to give you what you want. jason, feeling guilty for jerking Turkey arround in EIA ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 13:18:28 -0500 (CDT) From: Kim Justice Subject: TMBG: John & John vs. Madonna Message-ID: Hey, I can't find "obsequious" in my magnetic poetry kit. feeling cheated, kj -- justicek@edge.net (Kim Justice) http://edge.edge.net/~justicek The switchman yells as you gather steam "Turn this train around" -- Guadalcanal Diary ------------------------------ From: OverpassX@aol.com Message-ID: <481e7027.359bced1@aol.com> Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 14:17:51 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: What if... MatFoley99@aol.com writes- << I personally am still bewildered by it. One thing I love about being a They Might Be Giants fan is that I know that I am one of few. I don't know if I'd like them less if everyone else liked them more...I know I'd still love Their music, but I don't know if I'd like being a fan as much, you know? >> You wouldn't be their fan if they got big? I would be happy for them.... its not like you would be following the trendy snots who suddenly are fans, you've known them for a while now... are you a fan just because its unique and interesting to be a fan?? Or because you really like them and their music...... I hate people who shun popular music because it is popular....because sometimes there is a reason why it is popular.... not just because it is what the radio stations want you to hear or a cool video on MTV, but because its good..... I've thought TMBG was very good for quite sometime now.... I don't see any reason to stop admiting I like them because they are trendy to like for a couple months? Nora :) ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #8-4 ****************************