Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #8-6 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 8, Number 6 Monday, 6 July 1998 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: why extreme popularity would be bad... TMBG: TMBG (???): Poison Flowers Re: TMBG: What if... Re: TMBG: What if... TMBG: tmbg: aussie import JH TMBG: Re: What if? Re: TMBG: tmbg: aussie import JH Re: Non-TMBG: Stop whining Re: Non-TMBG: Teenage Girls defining popularity Re: Non-TMBG: What if... Re: TMBG: why extreme popularity would be bad... Definitely NON-TMBG: Fwd: AOL IS BANNING IMs ON JULY Re: Definitely NON-TMBG: Fwd: AOL IS BANNING IMs ON JULY Re: Definitely NON-TMBG: Fwd: AOL IS BANNING IMs ON JULY Re: Definitely NON-TMBG: Fwd: AOL IS BANNING IMs ON JULY Re: Definitely NON-TMBG: Fwd: AOL IS BANNING IMs ON JULY 18!!!DON'T DELETE!T TMBG: Dr. Worm Re: NONTMBG: IFTS (aw yeah) Re: TMBG: why extreme popularity would be bad... Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm TMBG: STD Multi-Media Re: TMBG: STD Multi-Media Re: TMBG: What if...& Non-TMBG: the STATE Semi-TMBG: Josh Morgan? -Reply Re: TMBG: What if...& Non-TMBG: the STATE Non TMBG: No they aren't. ( Re: AOL IS BANNING IMs ) Re: Non TMBG: No they aren't. ( Re: AOL IS BANNING IMs ) Re: NON-TMBG: Marky Mark Partly TMBG: Hold my calls, Agnes; we're going into overtime TMBG: TDK Re: TMBG: Re: What if? Re: Non-TMBG: Teenage Girls defining popularity Re: TMBG: Re: What if? NON-TMBG: Stuff to save time . . . censorship is a horrible thing . . . TMBG: META: One serious suggestion Re: Non-TMBG: Teenage Girls defining popularity Non-TMBG: My Age??? Not impotant. TMBG: On topic: Off topic TMBG: VH1: A-Z, Geography, Howard the Duck, and other misc. Non-TMBG: In fact very Non-Tmbg. If anyone cares... TMBG: Posting with HTML Off Non-TMBG:Howard the Duck TMBG: 2 more mp3s up Semi-TMBG: Josh Morgan? -Reply Re: TMBG: John & John vs. Madonna Re: TMBG: VH1: A-Z, Geography, Howard the Duck, and other misc. Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <010801bda641$10422fa0$f8220ecf@northstar> From: "Kelly Mendenhall" Subject: Re: TMBG: why extreme popularity would be bad... Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 22:09:44 -0700 I feel close to the same about this subject too....One of my most favorite activities is running around with one of my TMBG shirts on and checking out other peoples reactions....especially to my favorite shirt that has the bird and his brains....I lived in that one in high school! But people really react to that shirt....but anyway, the point I'm getting to (yes eventually I do get to a point...well sometimes!) Is that I wouldn't be able to do that if they became popular....everyone would have, or at least would have seen, these sly shirts and be totally non-reactionary to it just like the rest of us are to someone who runs around in a Bush shirt (er, not that any bush shirt I've seen has really been too particularly creative just picking examples) Heh and then we'd be the ridicule of some other mailing list somewhere...like people ridicule the spice girls fans they'd go 'Geeze those stupid people who listen to TMBG! What Sheep! These people have one hit song....Now , they've got talent...I wonder why no one listens to em?' We'd probably also see alot of web pages go up that were anti-tmbg....(heh the 'We Hate They Might Be Giants' web page?) Where people would poke fun at the fans and the band etc....and it'd make us all cry and we'd have to go out and start maiming small animals and vandalizing stuff or make jello in strange molds. Hmmm and there is also the whole fun of umm converting people to listening to TMBG. I know most of us have probably tried at one point or another to make someone like Them wether it killed us or not! It's kinda like letting someone in on a secret or something...and if everyone liked TMBG there would be no secret so there would be no fun in getting someone to listen to them! So! In summary, don't let TMBG become popular!! It'd take away my only hobby of watching people react to my odd shirts. Later, Kelly (Better Known To Some as Mr Horrible well except for one r...silly undernet) ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 01:50:20 -0400 Subject: TMBG: TMBG (???): Poison Flowers Message-ID: <19980703.020635.3310.2.gray42@juno.com> Everytime I listen to Poison Flowers, I visualize Flansie sitting at a piano, surrounded by a bunch of awestruck muppets, probably because of that crazy piano bit. Mysterio Gal (inherrantly pointless [does that make me exceedingly dull?] <-- pun) "ME NO LIKE HAMBURGER, ME WANT PEANUTBUTTER, ACTUALLY ME HATE PEANUTBUTTER TOO! ME JUST WANT HAIR!" -- Claire Monster (fully equipped with extremely loud keyboard and monster voice) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 01:35:13 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: What if... Message-ID: <19980703.020635.3310.1.gray42@juno.com> Ha, I know a guy in his 20's who is a HUGE Spice Girls fan, went to the movie 5 or 6 times. Whenever he gives me a ride anywhere, they are ALWAYS playing on his car stereo. He loves their music, but thinks they act silly visually. This is the same guy that misses the days when TMBG consisted of two quirky (I use this in a positive(sp?) sense) guys w/ a drum machine. If you wish to know more about this guy, and the music he writes, and his identity, and other weird stories, E-mail me privately Ha! Mysterio Gal (this info is to be used for good and not evil) "ME NO LIKE HAMBURGER, ME WANT PEANUTBUTTER, ACTUALLY ME HATE PEANUTBUTTER TOO! ME JUST WANT HAIR!" -- Claire Monster (fully equipped with extremely loud keyboard and monster voice) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 02:00:27 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: What if... Message-ID: <19980703.020635.3310.3.gray42@juno.com> On Thu, 2 Jul 1998 22:32:47 -0400 erda@juno.com (g loworm) writes: > > >>Now on to, EVERYBODY I KNOW LOVES TMBG. Sure not everyone loves them > >>to the >>point of buying their albums, but I do not know of one person who >>actually >>dislikes TMBG > >i know LOTS of people who dislike them same here, but usually cause they are ignorant or want to piss me off for the fun of pissing me off Mysterio Gal (fellow Subgenius & Happy Mutant) "ME NO LIKE HAMBURGER, ME WANT PEANUTBUTTER, ACTUALLY ME HATE PEANUTBUTTER TOO! ME JUST WANT HAIR!" -- Claire Monster (fully equipped with extremely loud keyboard and monster voice) ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 >_____________________________________________________________________ >You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get >completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno >at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 03 Jul 1998 03:03:38 -0500 (EST) From: Nub Subject: TMBG: tmbg: aussie import JH Message-id: so are those live in NYC tracks any good, or what? i'm particularly interested to know what "statue" sounds like. if anyone could give me a brief review, that would be great. thank y'all, nub ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980702172007.006b693c@glasscity.net> Date: Thu, 02 Jul 1998 17:20:07 -0400 From: Kelley Ketchmark Subject: TMBG: Re: What if? In a perfect world, I would love to have TMBG become famous. They do indeed deserve the money, the fame, and I think their music is great enough that everyone should have the opportunity to hear them. the sad truth is that if one of their songs does become "big", it will probably only be one, and then they will be dissed by critics for everything after that...and even referred to as a "one-hit wonder" by the ignorant. At least that's what my pessimistic mind is afraid of. I would hope I'm wrong, Kelley ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980703095741.006a0dac@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Fri, 03 Jul 1998 09:57:41 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg: aussie import JH At 03:03 AM 7/3/98 -0500, Nub wrote: >so are those live in NYC tracks any good, or what? i'm particularly >interested to know what "statue" sounds like. if anyone could give me a >brief review, that would be great. It's an alright album. The advantage to getting the 6-song EP is that you don't have to listen to Donna f***in' Donna, who continually and annoyingly chimes in all the time. Anyway, here's a quick review: "O Do Not Forsake Me" - pretty neat version...not a capella (it has Linnell on keyboards, f'r instance), but I like it a little better than the album version. "Don't Let's Start" - the worst version I've _ever_ heard of this song live. The cool intro and Linnell's smooth vocals aren't anywhere to be found... "AKA Driver" - one of the album's highlights. Very well done. "Why Does The Sun Shine?" - this is, of course, the fast, rockin' version. It's different than the one they've been playing since '95 or '96 with the heavier keyboards (which makes it sound a little more like the original), but it's still rather good. "Purple Toupee" - with the Velcro Horns...also very, very good. "Sleeping In The Flowers" - see above. :-) Unlike some versions of this song live, it has the whole song, not beginning at the chorus. "Chess Piece Face" - I never really cared for this song, and I would rather have seen something else in its place. "Particle Man" - no comment. :-) "She's An Angel" - I wonder if this is what the Pink version was supposed to sound like, with the accordion bass... Very nifty...this exact version (well, it might be remixed or whatever) is also going to be on STD. "The Statue Got Me High" - the track you specifically asked about, featuring the Velcro Horns. When I put this on, I generally skip around to my favorite tracks, and this is one of them. :-) "Band Intros" - not really a song, but it starts off with Flansie parodying the first line or 2 of "We Are The World", with lots of improv stuff by the band throughout. "Whistling In The Dark" - my feelings about this song depend on the mood I'm in. I'm kind of tired of hearing it, but it's a pretty good live version. "Ana Ng" - I've always hated Ana Ng live, mostly because I like having the focus on the guitar, not the accordion or keyboards. The drum intro with Flansie's "the sound of the drums...I hear the drums!" is somewhat frightening. "Turn Around" - I think they did a rather good job with this song live, but I would rather have seen something else in its place. "I Palindrome I" - another excellent live track. "Birdhouse In Your Soul" - I heard that Live!! NYC wasn't really a live show in the usual sense, and that they played some songs repeatedly to get the best possible recording. This song was reportedly one of those that they played multiple times, and they really did pick the best possible version. "Snail Shell" - I've never really been a fan of this song, but at least it's near the end. :-) "Twistin'" - I really like this...I hate the tinny, teeth-grating keyboards in it, but everything else about it is wonderful. "Dig My Grave" - nothing really special about this version... Although Live!! NYC has 26 tracks, a number of them are cues for the radio station and other annoying stuff like that. All in all...it's good, but not great. "Dr. Spock's Backup Band" is much better...the quality's only slightly worse, and the band and the setlist are both much better. -Adam /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199807031511.LAA04307@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Fri, 03 Jul 1998 10:11:13 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Stop whining At 11:11 AM 7/2/98 -0700, you wrote: > >On the dozen or so lists i'm on, everyonce and a while somebody posts >about how there is too much off topic content on the list. Almost always >these are people who don't post much or not at all. To them i say don't >bitch about it. Post about what you wanna see more of. Moderators do >nothing but stagnate the list. Want more TMBG then post insightful posts >about TMBG. Don'rt justwait for those that do post to give you what you >want. I'm on a number of moderated lists, and I don't consider they stagnant at all. I find them much better than the TMBG list, in general. The one possible problem with moderation, however, is that it requires a moderator who has enough time to devote to the task. Otherwise it slows the list terribly. But if the moderator has sufficient time, I've never found moderation to be a bad thing. Of course, there are always those who complain that they aren't on the list just for TMBG content. For those people, the typical solution I've seen is the creation of an unmoderated "sister-list" of the original list. Those who only want genuine content subscribe only to the moderated list, whereas those who want to talk about anything subscribe to both. In this scenario the moderator's job is to filter every message sent to one list or the other. But, as I said before, all of this is contingent on a moderator who is willing to dedicate their time to the endeavor. Harf, Mitcharf ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199807031514.LAA04436@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Fri, 03 Jul 1998 10:14:12 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Teenage Girls defining popularity At 03:45 PM 7/2/98 -0700, you wrote: >who made the repeat viewings of Titanic? The figures say that 89% of the >viewers who had seen it more than twice were 13-16 year old girls, now, >would the Spice Girls be as big if they didn't have one 13-16 year old >girl fan? No. I'm just saying that they controll a large part of the >market. Just look at MTV, almost all of the rich preppy girls I know >spend half of their life in front of the tv watching either MTV or >Friends So what you're saying is that TMBG needs to work on pitching their music to the teen female market? Maybe they should cover a Spice Girls song. Harf, Mitcharf ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199807031516.LAA04579@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Fri, 03 Jul 1998 10:16:49 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: Re: Non-TMBG: What if... At 07:45 PM 7/2/98 -0400, you wrote: >i'm not trying to resume any flaming, but.. > >In a message dated 7/2/98 6:23:17 PM, dilbert_2000@hotmail.com wrote: > >>I'd say to all my friends:"Ya know, I've benlistning to then since '93", >>and they'd say "yeah right, you probly saw for the first time a few days >>ago on MTV", > >you said the first time you heard of them was last year. > >>Oh, yeah, anyone seen Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas? I read the book 10 >>yaers ago, and it was really exciting to get disapointed earlyer today. > >when you were in preschool? i'm sorry but i seem to recall an email from you >way before all this nonsense (i'm not mean enough to post about it, but it >involved you talking about a girl at school, remember?), and you were ~at >least~ 2 or 3 years younger than me. cut this "i'm over 20" crap out.. if >people actually believe it, it makes you look like a really *stupid* adult.. > >sarah >doesn't like to watch people lie If you're not trying to resume any flaming, you're going about it the wrong way. If these are lies, they are harmless. Why start a war about it? Maybe it makes him happy, so just let it be... And since I definitely don't want to start a flame war, this will be my last post to the list on the subject. Harf, Mitcharf ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199807031521.LAA05053@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Fri, 03 Jul 1998 10:21:18 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: why extreme popularity would be bad... >now, I don't want to sound elitist, but I don't think it would be as fun >to be a TMBG fan when "everyone's a TMBG fan." TMBG fanness is unique - >it's something that not a lot of people have in common... are we all >really that anxious to lose one element of our uniqueness? It's always nice to be part of a secret club, but I don't think it's fair to the Johns to want to exclude them from fame to make us happy. The reason I'm a fan, and I am fairly sure you all share this reason, is because their music is amazing. As long as becoming famous doesn't change that, then why should I oppose it? Harf, Mitch ------------------------------ Subject: Definitely NON-TMBG: Fwd: AOL IS BANNING IMs ON JULY Message-ID: <19980703.111501.11887.1.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) Date: Fri, 03 Jul 1998 11:16:09 EDT From: Kevin Marshall To: Juggalos@webtv.net, vedderfreak12@hotmail.com,LizFan4_Life@yahoo.com,rockyd2@hotmail.com, ron311@yahoo.com,Ro10@webtv.net,air_ah@hotmail.com, scottystead@yahoo.com,rcorle@bellsouth.net,smyatt@webtv.net,robtheicon@mindspring.com,AWeber ,Bagpipe ,Gokusand@hotmail.com,justiceunknown@yahoo.com, bksdg@prodigy.net,DarkAngel666@innocent.com, snapcase_fan@yahoo.com,dwoychuk@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca,RWilliams ,Miss_Elaine@webtv.net,Steiner3@webtv.net, PHREAK13@prodigy.net,durward@hi-line.net,cyberoverdrive@hotmail.com,dkwattam@yahoo.com,dzombie@mindspring.com,the_great_sasuke@hotmail.com,jdd48@hotmail.com,degenerationxxx69@yahoo.com,sting.pace@mailexcite.com,cchanson@juno.com,Compaq ,Penny8602@rocketmail.com,gabricker@yahoo.com,reznorsboy@yahoo.com,rad_radford@yahoo.com,eddiev5@hotmail.com,darkfiend@hotmail.com, thunder@wnclink.com,iceman_sd@yahoo.com,g2131974@webtv.net, twartel@lsu.edu, Irby@qcr.com,chad4h@rocketmail.com, samhain@infoave.net,Miller22 , captainmarvel2@juno.com,LeFreak , rayson@relex.com,davidkallen@hotmail.com,wrestlewire@yahoo.com,jt5731b@webtv.net,shelly@mwci.net,evilbob4@juno.com,bigRED_12@juno.com,ayson@olypen.com,MTXKUHN@yahoo.com,wheeldust911@yahoo.com,Fritz ,TheArmy98@hotmail.com,franktnz@hooked.net, SnideLix@aol.com,thug40@webtv.net,pillowchicken98@yahoo.com,fristen@worldnet.att.net,kingsy@hotmail.com,whosyourddy@hotmail.com,micasa ,tazmaniac_ecw@hotmail.com,thewcwsucksguy@hotmail.com,xtream@lycosmail.com,Mitchell ,tbl@phantom.datamg.com,Easton13@hotmail.com,frongel@hotmail.com,chere.mccomb@rocketmail.com,sephiroth987@hotmail.com,jerichohol@hotmail.com,Chiperama@rocketmail.com,jonreb@yahoo.com,HulkBuster@webtv.net,lodilover@yahoo.com,syxxpak@wwd.net,Stone-Cold-@webtv.net,Miller ,justin337@hotmail.com,ddurston@ccipost.net,ROAD_DOG_@webtv.net, buff316@famtree.com Subject: Fwd: Fwd: [Fwd: Fwd: Fwd: AOL IS BANNING IMs ON JULY 18!!!DON'T DELETE!THIS IS A PETITION!] Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 22:48:29 -0700 (PDT) Message-ID: <19980703054829.4223.rocketmail@send1c.yahoomail.com> From: Juggalos@webtv.net (Jeremiah Butler) Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 23:40:35 -0400 (EDT) To: starlight@foxinternet.net, bat96@rocketmail.com, caljane@hotmail.com, colleen_donald@hotmail.com, DBMoonDust@aol.com, DragonDark@webtv.net, ECWFRK@webtv.net, harrje@yahoo.com, arthurkurin@webtv.net, kev_who_troy@yahoo.com, eblongo@juno.com, LizardEB@aol.com, SickGirl13@webtv.net, Pezberry@aol.com, Earlofporn@webtv.net Subject: Fwd: [Fwd: Fwd: Fwd: AOL IS BANNING IMs ON JULY 18!!!DON'T DELETE!THIS IS A PETITION!] Message-ID: <11003-359C52B3-383@mailtod-102.iap.bryant.webtv.net> To: Earlofporn@webtv.net, arthurkurin@webtv.net, Juggalos@webtv.net, DragonDark@webtv.net, mrlear@ibm.net, Nepps@aol.com, thug40@webtv.net Return-Path: Received: from mail.clarityconnect.com (206.64.143.5) by mta-pc4.yahoomail.com with SMTP; 2 Jul 1998 04:20:56 -0700 Received: from clarityconnect.com (209.150.250.60) by mail.clarityconnect.com with ESMTP (Eudora Internet Mail Server 2.1); Thu, 2 Jul 1998 07:25:12 -0400 Message-ID: <359B6D2A.E811286A@clarityconnect.com> Date: Thu, 02 Jul 1998 07:21:14 -0400 From: Kent Goben Reply-To: casadkar@clarityconnect.com Organization: Casa De Karate X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.04 [en] (Win95; I) MIME-Version: 1.0 To: Anne Varcasio , Bill Varcasio , Bob Brill , Bob Jones , Chris Brill , Darlene Ike , Elizabeth Shutter , Ed and Marleah Denkenbarger , Jean Sheahan , Jessica cummings , Mark Walters , Mickie Ungvarski , mike pope , Mike Yartum , nancy goben , Natalie Phoenix , Robert Duncanson , Stan and Lois Phoenix , Sylvia , Todd Kleinhans , Tommy Sheahan Subject: [Fwd: Fwd: Fwd: AOL IS BANNING IMs ON JULY 18!!!DON'T DELETE!THIS IS A PETITION!] Return-Path: Received: from web2.rocketmail.com (205.180.57.68) by mail.clarityconnect.com with SMTP (Eudora Internet Mail Server 2.1); Wed, 1 Jul 1998 22:55:57 -0400 Message-ID: <19980702030113.10983.rocketmail@web2.rocketmail.com> Received: from [168.191.52.22] by web2; Wed, 01 Jul 1998 20:01:13 PDT Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 20:01:13 -0700 (PDT) From: Tracie Subject: Fwd: Fwd: AOL IS BANNING IMs ON JULY 18!!!DON'T DELETE!THIS IS A PETITION! To: Selectt85@aol.com, Christy1NY@aol.com, Jessboppo@aol.com, Keva1067@aol.com, casadkar@clarityconnect.com, nmgmsn@hotmail.com, JHACKLE@aol.com, spiff-tiff@rocketmail.com, ashton69@rocketmail.com, sterml@rpi.edu, anglfire34@aol.com In a message dated 98-06-02 17:47:25 EDT, MOFO8594 writes: > > << > To: Kareb14, Gumybear49, AAMMIZ, Snomonky9 > To: Sk8chic108, Dummy6, DUDE10009, Luv248, Dusk453 AOL IS PLANNING TO BAN INSTANT MESSAGES ON JULY 18. THEY HAVE AGREED TO KEEP INSTANT MESSAGES IF ENOUGH PEOPLE SEND THIS LETTER. THEY WILL COUNT IT AS ONE SIGNATURE EVERY TIME SOMEONE SIGNS IT. IF U WANT TO KEEP IM'S, U MUST SEND THIS TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE. _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980703153042.0070d7ac@cybnetonline.com> Date: Fri, 03 Jul 1998 10:30:42 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: Definitely NON-TMBG: Fwd: AOL IS BANNING IMs ON JULY #1: This is the only reason I wouldn't be opposed to Moderation. On The Maxx list people are taken off of the list for posting chain letters. Please keep them out of the TMBG list. #2: AOL will do no such thing, they have too much money tied up in it for them to remove it and be successful. #3: It does not the original poster, see he is on Juno. Please refrain from posting this crap to the list. As much as I would hate to see moderation, if more of this stuff makes it through the list, yes, I shall want it moderated. LDB, stern but gentle. -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199807031537.LAA05806@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Fri, 03 Jul 1998 10:38:01 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: Definitely NON-TMBG: Fwd: AOL IS BANNING IMs ON JULY > AOL IS PLANNING > TO BAN INSTANT MESSAGES ON JULY 18. > > THEY HAVE AGREED TO KEEP INSTANT MESSAGES IF ENOUGH >PEOPLE SEND THIS LETTER. > THEY WILL COUNT IT AS ONE SIGNATURE EVERY TIME >SOMEONE SIGNS IT. > > IF U WANT TO KEEP IM'S, U MUST SEND THIS TO AS MANY >PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE. I'll bet you oh, one million dollars, that this letter is a fake. Harf, Mitch ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980703153849.006e9e78@cybnetonline.com> Date: Fri, 03 Jul 1998 10:38:49 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: Definitely NON-TMBG: Fwd: AOL IS BANNING IMs ON JULY Oh and #4: AOL would not care about this here "petition" because of the overwhelming amount of addresses that aren't AOL users. AOL shall not listen to people who do not use their system. Thank you, good day, LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ From: TerryTMBG@aol.com Message-ID: <39abab6.359d00d0@aol.com> Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 12:03:27 EDT Subject: Re: Definitely NON-TMBG: Fwd: AOL IS BANNING IMs ON JULY 18!!!DON'T DELETE!THI >> IF U WANT TO KEEP IM'S, U MUST SEND THIS TO AS MANY >>PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE. > >I'll bet you oh, one million dollars, that this letter is a fake. No! it's true! I got this letter last year, and I didn't think *then* it would be true, but remember? AOL *did* ban IMs! oh, wait a minute ... Anyway, to add some half-assed TMBG content, I keep hearing rumors about "Doctor Worm" being played on radio stations. Could everyone who has actually heard the studio version of it pipe up and tell us, or at least privately email me? Thank you thank you! -Terry- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <359D015A.FB0E99B3@stlmo.com> Date: Fri, 03 Jul 1998 11:05:46 -0500 From: "Zoo Laaa, King of the icky poos" Organization: Bob's Freezed dried onions Subject: TMBG: Dr. Worm > Anyway, to add some half-assed TMBG content, I keep hearing rumors about > "Doctor Worm" being played on radio stations. Could everyone who has actually > heard the studio version of it pipe up and tell us, or at least privately > email me? Thank you thank you! so far I am the only one to say that i heard it on a commercial radio station here in st louis.....someone else before me said that their friend got the promotion of the cd or something.....and said that the song was modified....more instruments....horns.....this is true...and definitely didn't hurt the song -tim ------------------------------ From: mike12da@cyberwaves.com (Mike Mcguire) Subject: Re: NONTMBG: IFTS (aw yeah) Date: Fri, 03 Jul 1998 16:20:56 GMT Message-Id: <899482856@cyberwaves.com> Organization: SYNERGY RESOURCES, INC. -> Received: from localhost (majordom@localhost) -> by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.8.8/8.8.7) with SMTP id RAA16287; -> Thu, 2 Jul 1998 17:55:44 -0400 (EDT) -> Received: by ussenterprise.ufp.org (bulk_mailer v1.6); Thu, 2 Jul 1998 17:55:43 -0400 -> Received: (from majordom@localhost) -> by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.8.8/8.8.7) id RAA16276 -> for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 2 Jul 1998 17:55:43 -0400 (EDT) -> Received: from imo30.mx.aol.com (imo30.mx.aol.com [198.81.17.74]) -> by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.8.8/8.8.7) with ESMTP id RAA16266 -> for ; Thu, 2 Jul 1998 17:55:41 -0400 (EDT) -> From: CajunGram@aol.com -> Received: from CajunGram@aol.com -> by imo30.mx.aol.com (IMOv14_b1.1) id ITJLa26167 -> for ; Thu, 2 Jul 1998 17:55:07 -0400 (EDT) -> Message-ID: -> Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 17:55:07 EDT -> To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org -> Mime-Version: 1.0 -> Subject: Re: NONTMBG: IFTS (aw yeah) -> Content-type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII -> Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit -> X-Mailer: AOL 3.0 for Windows 95 sub 64 -> Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org -> Reply-To: CajunGram@aol.com -> In a message dated 98-07-02 15:29:20 EDT, you write: -> << > AWWWWWWW YEAHHHH!!!! We got $240 dollars worth of puddin', AWWWWWWW -> > YEAHHHH!!!! Barry baby, what does it say there on the side of the box? Aw -> > Levone, it says "Cook.... and then chill" ANd Barry that's what we're gonna -> be -> > doing tonight, we gonna be cookin' ansd chillin' AWWWWWWWW YEAHHHHH!!!! -> -> hahahah... -> -> WHO'S GOT A PLATE OF SOMETHIN!!!??? -> >> -> Sorry to fan the flames of unTMBGness, but... -> I WANNA DIP MY BALLS IN IT!!!!!! -> Did anyonje else see that episode where Louie was at the last supper and Jesus -> was talking and then sombody runs in and says that Louies coming to dinner and -> they all leave Jesus and go hang out with Louie? -> Graham "One who lacks in the ways of plot discription" Amsden There is a State video (for the big fans like myself) that you can probably order any where, it's called "Skits and Stickers* (*stickers not included)" I was perusing the shelves a t Blockbuster Video one day and I looked at one of the shelves where they have the videos for sale and I saw it a bought it immediately. It doesn't have all the good ones (they were all good) but it's got most of the classics (Including Barry and Levon, and Louie at the Last Supper). So any big fans of the show ought to go check it out. *Mike* ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 3 Jul 98 12:25 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: why extreme popularity would be bad... >We'd probably also see alot of web pages go up that were anti-tmbg....(heh >the 'We Hate They Might Be Giants' web page?) Where people would poke fun >at the fans and the band etc.... *giggle* What could they say about us that we haven't heard already? Kirsten -- [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] "And she said losing love is like a window in your heart Everybody sees you're blown apart..." - Paul Simon "Graceland" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Message-ID: <4pbEMWq00WB=0oRnM0@andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 12:26:10 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 3-Jul-98 TMBG: Dr. Worm by Zoo Laaa@stlmo.com > so far I am the only one to say that i heard it on a commercial radio station > here > in st louis.....someone else before me said that their friend got the promotio > n of > the cd or something.....and said that the song was modified....more > instruments....horns.....this is true...and definitely didn't hurt the song dammit! WHFS must be the only station in the country that doesn't have it yet. I called them today asking if they had it (after calling on Tuesday and not hearing it) and they played Don't Let's Start instead... (they also got my name wrong when saying who requested it, but what the hell :) people in the DC/MD/VA area, call them up at 1-800-321-9437 and ask for Dr. Worm. We know the promos are out there, and WHFS is usually one of the first to get stuff... Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Everything sticks until it goes away, * This space inadvertently And the truth is we don't know anything." -TMBG * left blank. ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: STD Multi-Media Message-ID: <19980703.123453.8991.0.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) Date: Fri, 03 Jul 1998 12:35:56 EDT I know somebody asked about this before, but I never saw a response. So here it is again: what is this multi-media section on Severe Tire Damage? Derek "Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age" _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980703124240.006a2728@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Fri, 03 Jul 1998 12:42:40 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: STD Multi-Media At 12:35 PM 7/3/98 EDT, Derek A Klein wrote: >I know somebody asked about this before, but I never saw a response. So >here it is again: what is this multi-media section on Severe Tire Damage? Then you didn't look too carefully. ;) I sent a response about one of these messages about the STD multimedia... Nothing definite has been confirmed, or at least as of a few days ago. On alt.music.tmbg, the only posts I could find about STD's supposed multimedia section was people who thought it would be cool if there was one. Again, I'm only in favor of a multimedia section if it's not just a waste of space, like Barenaked Ladies' "Rock Spectacle". (I love BNL, but I would've much rather had a few more songs than huge video files that lose their charm after the second or third viewing.) -Adam /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Message-ID: <315c41b1.359c6aaf@aol.com> Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 01:22:54 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: What if...& Non-TMBG: the STATE In a message dated 98-07-02 23:23:21 EDT, mr.train@juno.com writes: << The State was the coolest show empty V ever had! I dunno why they call it music television when all it is is mostly crappy shows! Mtv taking off the State was almost as stupid as Comedy Central cancelling MST3K. those guys were DUMB! >> Nooo...first of all, MTV did NOT cancel The State...The State left MTV, because they did not want to be "MTV's The State", rather their own comedy troupe. 2nd, as evil as it may seem, Comedy Central cancelling MST3K was probably the best thing to happen to the show. Best Brains and CC had been fighting a LOT, and the Sci-Fi Channel gives MST3K a lot more freedom then CC did...trust me, MST3K wanted to leave CC anyway. On a side note : Today I watched as scenes from a new movie called "The Yards" starring...MARKY MARK WALBERG was filmed in my very own town. It was absolutely hilarious...I mean Marky Mark...lol...what a putz Getting good vibrations, Jordan ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 17:54:13 +0000 Subject: Semi-TMBG: Josh Morgan? -Reply Well to be fair to him this very morning I received back the $20 note that I sent him with a small note saying:- 'Sorry it took forever, but I could not make copies of the TMBG video Compilation.' This is very frustrating as I now have a $20 note that will cost me lots to change back to #sterling. So would some kind person offer to send me a couple of bootleg tapes or the video if I send them the $20 to cover p&p etc? Please!!!!! Thanks Richard P.S. there is another on the list who has kindly offered to tape me something - but I'm still waiting! No names, no packdrill and I know you are very busy! >>> "grendel@qx.net" 3/July/1998 05:48am >>> hey, tmbg listees... just wondering if anyone knows what happened to Josh Morgan. i and 12 or so other people sent him some money for a tmbg video compilation tape (back around the end of april) and i haven't received anything - no email, no tape, no nothing. i sent a request to all the others who were to receive this tape to see if any of them had received it, and only one person responded (and he hadn't received anything yet either). just curious... -bk ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 3 Jul 98 13:49 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: What if...& Non-TMBG: the STATE >On a side note : Today I watched as scenes from a new movie called "The Yards" >starring...MARKY MARK WALBERG was filmed in my very own town. It was >absolutely hilarious...I mean Marky Mark...lol...what a putz I dunno... Did you see "Boogie Nights"? The child can actually act somewhat... And he doesn't like to be called Marky Mark anymore. ;) Kirsten (proud owner of a Boogie Nights t-shirt) -- [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] "And she said losing love is like a window in your heart Everybody sees you're blown apart..." - Paul Simon "Graceland" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <1b40526b.359d1994@aol.com> Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 13:49:06 EDT Subject: Non TMBG: No they aren't. ( Re: AOL IS BANNING IMs ) *sigh* for anyone who was worried about this, please don't be. it's false. every once in a while, someone will send out an email as a joke, like chatrooms will start costing money, or there's gonna be a hacker's revolt, or IM's will be no longer.. it's all bullshit. just to let you know.. if you still don't believe me, send an email to stevecase@aol.com (it's not him, just his slaves) and they'll set you straight. and *please* i'm sure we appreciate your concern, but stuff like this does NOT need to be posted to the list. if you really think it does, at least copy and paste it into a regular email. all those headers and crap *really* make it irritating and a waste of space. sarah~ http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980703175133.006f4410@cybnetonline.com> Date: Fri, 03 Jul 1998 12:51:33 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: Non TMBG: No they aren't. ( Re: AOL IS BANNING IMs ) At 01:49 PM 7/3/98 EDT, KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: >*sigh* > >for anyone who was worried about this, please don't be. it's false. every once >in a while, someone will send out an email as a joke, like chatrooms will >start costing money, or there's gonna be a hacker's revolt, or IM's will be no >longer.. it's all bullshit. just to let you know.. > Don't forget the good times virus, or any of those other supposed E-mail virii. If you want the explanation on the Good Times virus, I can explain it to you. LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980703140409.0069d810@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Fri, 03 Jul 1998 14:04:09 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Marky Mark At 01:49 PM 7/3/98 EDT, Kirsten Brodbeck wrote: > > I dunno... Did you see "Boogie Nights"? The child can actually >act somewhat... And he doesn't like to be called Marky Mark anymore. ;) I haven't seen "Boogie Nights", but I have seen "The Big Hit" and "Fear", and trust me, if I see BN, it won't be because of Marky Mark. Now Heather Graham, possibly...if I can sit through "Lost In Space", I think I can sit through darn near anything. -Adam "Good vibrations...feel it!" Tyner /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: Vandal191@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 14:06:58 EDT Subject: Partly TMBG: Hold my calls, Agnes; we're going into overtime To Whom It May Concern: Like many Americans, I have a lot to say. I can talk and talk on without end, and, like most Americans, none of it is really worth hearing. It is, however, my right to say it. It is your right not to listen. The fact that I don't talk all that much is an example of courtesy. I am by no means required to be courteous. It's my right, and anyone's right, to be an ass, as it were. You folks complaining about the list wasting your precious time: What kind of They Might Be Giants fans are you? TMBG are a pretty relaxed group. Why are you so type-a? If you're that frigging busy, what are you doing on the internet in the first place? You go delight in your self-important day-to-day toils, the rest of us can enjoy the enriching exchange of information to be found on the TMBG list. Cool things of the moment: The Gufs- Just ordered their old self-titled disk, and it's really boring, but Crash (into me) is still one of the most beautiful songs I know. Danger Mouse- Anybody remember him? They Might Be Giants- Always cool, but, at the moment, extremely uneventful. If all we could speak of was TMBG, the list would naturally degenerate into "Particle Man Sucks" threads. D.A.R.E. to resist internet fascism. The map guy, Yar- The TMBGeography idea es bueno. West Branch, Iowa (Birthplace of Herbert Hoover, about 8 miles east of Robin in Iowa City) 52358 Totally unrelated happy stuff: My girlfriend just returned from a two and a half week vacation. How 'bout them apples? ~Mooser "A free society is one where it is safe to be unpopular" -Adlai Stevenson ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: TDK Message-ID: <19980703.142326.8991.1.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) Date: Fri, 03 Jul 1998 14:24:21 EDT Hello, TDK. Can you e-mail me this month's qoute, and the answer to last month's? Thanks. Derek "Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age" _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 12:30:58 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: What if? Message-ID: Also, for a brief period of time, there would be so many newbies on this list that mister Leo Bucknell would have to ban new people and only let us oldtimers on the list, because if he didn't we would all be facing 600 only TMBG posts from people trying to find out about the band from people who actually like them and aren't just riding the bandwagon. However, this sort of popularity that we're talking about never lasts, and after 3 months when they're yesterday's news, we could go back to normal. Cap'n Helfgott ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 12:32:51 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Teenage Girls defining popularity Message-ID: the only way that they could be popular with teenage girls is to either invest the huge amounts of money on surgically making themselves look younger, or having two guys age anywhere from 18-28 pose as them, becuase like I said, the masses have to be able to swoon over them as well as listen to them. Cap'n Helfgott ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980703153824.006a24fc@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Fri, 03 Jul 1998 15:38:24 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: What if? Leo wouldn't do that. Everyone's a newbie at some point. I was in Sept. '96 when I first joined the list, and now I'm a well-respected member (umm...I think, maybe). Then, lists do seem to fall and sputter when a band becomes popular...the Everclear list (yes, I like Everclear...stop laughing) seems to mostly be run by 12 year olds who post about how the band's going to break up and list all sorts of illicit things Art is supposedly doing, and the Presidents of the United States of America list (yup, I'm one of those people) seems to have something in its charter about how every message has to contain the word 'penis'. I'm not even going to mention the Magical Armchair, because I think there are a number of people here that are on that list, and everyone knows how much _that_ list sucks. TMBG-list is pretty darn cool for the most part compared with the other lists I'm on, but that's just MHO. -Adam At 12:30 PM 7/3/98 -0700, leonard helfgott wrote: >Also, for a brief period of time, there would be so many newbies on this >list that mister Leo Bucknell would have to ban new people and only let us >oldtimers on the list, because if he didn't we would all be facing 600 >only TMBG posts from people trying to find out about the band from people >who actually like them and aren't just riding the bandwagon. However, >this sort of popularity that we're talking about never lasts, and after 3 >months when they're yesterday's news, we could go back to normal. >Cap'n Helfgott /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot@aol.com Message-ID: <837998be.359d4402@aol.com> Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 16:50:09 EDT Subject: NON-TMBG: Stuff to save time . . . censorship is a horrible thing . . . Ok, my first suggestion is to save SPACE on your messages for all us digesters & the number of messages (avoid posting two messages one right after another, I know people sometimes forget & I understand, but a lot of times people don't condense their topics - - if you feel like talking about the Particle Man topic & the Censorship topic, title your EMail "Particle Man & Censorship."), also only copy relevent pieces of other's Mails in your post NOT the whole thing, PLEASE! This should allow the digesters (who are a day or so behind) to catch up. Oh, yeah & censorship sucks, despite people trying to justify it. I know someone made a joke of how everyone is "censoring his TMBG content" or something, well, it just makes a point about how people can get out of hand & greedy with the power of censorship. Besides who can decide to censor: "Smack my bitch up" verses "Next Motherf*cker's gonna get my metal." Where's the line? Who decides? Arg!!!!! >> 4) Imagine you suddenly become interested in the band Soul >> Coughing, for example. You join a list like this one and see >> that most of the the subject names on the list are ones >> like: "Re: Tonight's episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer" If >> I was new to this list, I might unsubscribe seeing what a >> waste of time it is. I think further explination is in order. Are you saying I am subscribed to the TMBG list & become interested in Soul Coughing or to find out about Soul Coughing I come to TMBG-list? Either way, neither has to do with Tonight's Episode of Buffy. >> 5) Suppose you went to an AA meeting and I wasted your >> time by standing up an telling the group the details of my >> struggle to quit smoking. It would be a waste of your time >> wouldn't it? Not neccessairily, if someone smokes & drinks a lot of times the first step to quitting both would be to cut back on one, then it would be easier to quit the other one! Perfectly legitimate! >>THE DIGEST ok, I want to know why people have problems with Non-TMBG posts in the digest. Do you all have some sort of syndrome that makes staring at a subject line & scrolling past a Non-TMBG topic difficult? I do it everyday! The only reason the digest is a day or two behind is because one day all we got was "Norman Bates," which I assume was just a pur accident. Ok, that was a bit rude, but funny. jason "damn you, damn everyone" glastetter http://www.poingly.com <~~~the ad isn't ading much considering how long this message is... ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980703165754.00697540@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Fri, 03 Jul 1998 16:57:54 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: META: One serious suggestion Hey Leo, is there some way to set the mailing list software to delete any messages with more than 5 consecutive lines of quoted text? Who else is in favor of this? ;) I'm sure the people on the digest would love it (although I'm on the bounce list). -Adam /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 3 Jul 98 17:30 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Teenage Girls defining popularity > >the only way that they could be popular with teenage girls is to either >invest the huge amounts of money on surgically making themselves look >younger, or having two guys age anywhere from 18-28 pose as them, becuase >like I said, the masses have to be able to swoon over them as well as >listen to them. I dunno, my friend Kristen and I swoon pretty well anyway. ;) But hey, we're not your normal teenage girls, either. I for one thing the boys look amazingly young. No signs of male pattern baldness or anything, unless they've got themselves amazingly realistic toupees... Kirsten -- [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] "And she said losing love is like a window in your heart Everybody sees you're blown apart..." - Paul Simon "Graceland" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980703215514.13282.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: Non-TMBG: My Age??? Not impotant. Date: Fri, 03 Jul 1998 14:55:14 PDT Ha-ha. Correct, I WOULD lie about how long I've been linstning, but wouldn't we all????? I never said that was the truth, I said that's what I'd tell my friends. You people sure do catch onto things. Well, I'm afraid I'm not going to state my age. That'd just take out the mystery in it all, wouldn't it??? Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com "He wants to knock your house down... And he can't, because you're lying in the way of his bulldozer... I think we can come to some arrangement." --Ford Prefect, "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <359D7C26.A8AD95B7@pacificnet.net> Date: Fri, 03 Jul 1998 16:49:47 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: On topic: Off topic "J. L. Moquin" wrote: (Subject: Re: TMBG: On the Topic of Off Topic ) > Well, you know, I agree and disagree. I see what you're saying, but > what it comes down to, in my opinion, is this: Maybe This Is Not The > List You're Looking For. This is not a list devoted solely to TMBG tour > dates, album reviews and song interps. This list is also social. It is a > group of people, united by a common interest (They), who gather and > chat about that interest, plus others. > How dare you you say this isn't the list I'm looking for just because you and your inconsiderate friends blatantly disregard the rules of the list. Did you happen to notice the following (posted every two week):"IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT When you send a message to the list you are sending messages to hundreds of people. Make sure that your message is one that hundreds of people need to read. Do not send "me too" messages to the list. Do not send messages about non-tmbg topics to the list. Hold private conversations in private e-mail. Sending messages that the list administrator deems off topic will result in your being removed from the list." If your really need to babble about miscellany, get thee to a chat room. -B O N G O [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980703235910.5875.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Bradley Gibson" Subject: TMBG: VH1: A-Z, Geography, Howard the Duck, and other misc. Date: Fri, 03 Jul 1998 16:59:09 PDT All right, I've come out of my little lurk-mode hole again and unless I spot my shadow i'll just say what's been going on inside my head before i scurry back in... First-off... VH1 is doing their little Videos A-Z thing again, right now they're only at Depeche Mode, but sooner or later they'll get to Them. I'd just wanna warn you all 'cause I myself would hate to tune in right when they get to Third Eye Blind and not know what video of Theirs they played if any at all... ~ >Please respond if you haven't already... I don't have enough >responses yet to make a nice map! Crescent City California 95531 We've got nothing up here but really big trees and rain, but the tourists like it. :) ~ >Well, thank you for destroying me. No one told me it was on? Why >didn't you E-mail me about it. Well if you would've been in #tmbg on EFnet I told everybody there the second it came on. I tried my best to serve my fan-bretheren! ~ > A couple days ago, someone on the list gave details >about the multi-media content of STD. (I forget your Hrrmmm, i didn't see that anywhere, (/me laughs hysterically at the thought of Giant-Cam videos for all the songs) ~ >Maybe someone should start their own unmoderated list to be used >as agathering place for TMBG fans who want to discuss other >things... > >Perhaps tmbg-community@tmbg.org? non-tmbg@tmbg.org? *think**think**think*... (light bulb) how 'bout 1 1/2 lists... right now if something is off-topic, they gotta put NON-TMBG: or something in the header, right? well how 'bout we instead send it to non-tmbg@tmbg.org. That way those who don't want Non-Tmbg msg's could subscribe to a list that will send them tmbg-list@tmbg.org emails only, where as the rest of us get both? I'm not that good with wording things, so if you understand what i'm saying, Lord bless you.:) ~ >Yesterday as I was browsing through my local CD shop's TMBG >collection, Whow! Your local CD shop has an actual TMBG Collection?!?! there are total of 2 TMBG CD's up for grabs in my entire county, both are Factory Showroom! And i'm not being sacastic! Despite my exclaimation points! ~ and to Mike Mcguire: i don't know what it is, but before every one of your messages, i get a crap-load of well... crap. is anyone else gettin' this? ~ You know, getting all this off of my chest actually felt pretty good! I think I'll spend more time out here talking. I think I'll even--- EEEK! My Shadow!!!!!!!!!!! (/me scurries away) Your friendly neighborhood lurker/digester --James "blue_j" LeVeque If you like Quake, go read The Quake Arenas at: http://www.planetquake.com/guild/works/ cause I wrote it, dammit! ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980704001344.21246.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Bradley Gibson" Subject: Non-TMBG: In fact very Non-Tmbg. If anyone cares... Date: Fri, 03 Jul 1998 17:13:43 PDT Sorry 'bout this. If anyone cares... the URL at the bottom of my sig is supposed to be http://www.planetquake.com/guild/ not what it was... now, go read my story "The Quake Arenas", dammit! (if you like quake, that is...) [/me scurries back into his lurk-hole, once again] ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 17:20:11 -0700 (PDT) From: Alon Yaari Subject: TMBG: Posting with HTML Off Message-ID: As someone just pointed out, you are posting to hundreds of people at a time, and not all of us choose to use Netscape or similar to see the messages. Therefore, turn off the HTML coding! -The Yar The Geographer ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980704002513.006ef254@cybnetonline.com> Date: Fri, 03 Jul 1998 19:25:13 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Non-TMBG:Howard the Duck >>Well, thank you for destroying me. No one told me it was on? Why >>didn't you E-mail me about it. > >Well if you would've been in #tmbg on EFnet I told everybody there the >second it came on. I tried my best to serve my fan-bretheren! >~ Damn, I decided to not get on IRC that night. Aw poop. Well, it has to make it back into rotation soon on Encore anyway. LDB, the biggest HTD fan in the world. -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 21:18:27 -0400 (EDT) From: Jish Subject: TMBG: 2 more mp3s up Message-ID: Well, this is low-fi week on my page. I put up two more mp3s I had lying around. I forget who originally did them, but they are really cool. 1.) Hell Hotel - One of the coolest songs off the demo tape 2.) Two People in Love(What is Everyone Staring at?) - The dial a song which EVERYBODY loves and which is one of my fav. songs despite the bad quality recording EFnet #TMBG Home Page http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/~axelrad/ Special Offer Page has the mp3s Jish ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19980703231955.00ba74d8@mail.qx.net> Date: Fri, 03 Jul 1998 23:20:01 -0400 From: Bill Kirby Subject: Semi-TMBG: Josh Morgan? -Reply >rhilton@bitc.org.uk wrote > >Well to be fair to him this very morning I received back the $20 note that I >sent him with a small note saying:- yes, i received the same note today (July 3rd) after posting my message to the list the day before. so i'm posting here to publicly apologize to josh for thinking (worrying) that his intentions were less than honorable. it's just that i signed up for one of those OMLTs myself (even though i bailed when it took so long for any arrangements to be made) as i know many folks here did, and i was just a little weary of something like that going on again. -bk ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980704033707.18653.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Jason F." Subject: Re: TMBG: John & John vs. Madonna Date: Fri, 03 Jul 1998 20:37:07 PDT > Hey, I can't find "obsequious" in my magnetic poetry kit. Heh, I had to take a placement exam for Penn State the other day and "obsequious" was one of the possible answers in the vocab section. So, basically TMBG helped me out on a test. (That's the 3rd time that's happened. I(NC) and WDTSS have both bailed me out before). >instead of being able to >pay $20 to see them at the 9:30 club, I'd have to pay $40 to see >them at >the MCI Center... Or how about $2 at Duquesne University? : ) --Jason "by the way, Particle Man rocks" Fickley-- "Hot Cha, where are you? Everybody's eyes are closed." -They Might Be Giants ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sat, 4 Jul 98 00:01 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: VH1: A-Z, Geography, Howard the Duck, and other misc. >and to Mike Mcguire: >i don't know what it is, but before every one of your messages, i get a >crap-load of well... crap. is anyone else gettin' this? (Kirsten waves her hand wildly) I am! I thought maybe it was just something wrong with me, because no one else had said anything. Now I feel a little better. Oooh, and to combine posts, I FINALLY got IFTS today! I love this album - I listened to it about six times. Golly jeepers gee, Unsupervised pales in comparison. "Extra Krispy" is *awesome*, "Pretty Fly" is eerie, and "It's Fun to Steal" is just all-around neat. My only complaint is that I still like the version of "Imaginary Friend" (AKA "Felt Tip Pen") that they played on NPR two years ago, with the trombones, a little better. But oh well... Kirsten -- [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] "And she said losing love is like a window in your heart Everybody sees you're blown apart..." - Paul Simon "Graceland" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #8-6 ****************************