Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #8-8 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 8, Number 8 Wednesday, 8 July 1998 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: The New Dan TMBG: TMBG and Mono Puff Re: TMBG: The New Dan (plus a rant) Re:Non-TMBG: Hitler Re: TMBG: TMBG and Mono Puff Re: TMBG: Chat Room Re: TMBG: Bad Words (was The F word) Re: TMBG: TMBG and Mono Puff TMBG: Disliking TMBG Re: TMBG: TMBG and Mono Puff TMBG: ah...columbia. Re: TMBG: The New Dan (plus a rant) TMBG: Singles TMBG: STD TMBG: Weigaart Namaak! (avoid imitations) Re: TMBG: TMBG and Mono Puff Re: TMBG: Singles TMBG: TMBG on TV Re: TMBG: Bad Words (was The F word) Re: TMBG: Bad Words (was The F word) Re: TMBG: Bad Words (was The F word) TMBG: The TMBG Show???? Re: TMBG: Singles AMENDED + Letterman & Leno Re: TMBG: Bad Words (was The F word) Re: TMBG: The TMBG Show???? NON-TMBG: Weird Al show (was The TMBG Show????) NON-TMBG: Bad Words Re: TMBG: Bad Words (was The F word) Re: TMBG: Bad Words (was The F word) Re: TMBG: Bad Words (was The F word) Re: NON-TMBG: Bad Words Re: TMBG: The TMBG Show???? Re: TMBG: Bad Words (was The F word) Re: NON-TMBG: Bad Words Re: TMBG: Bad Words and NONTMBG: Word Rant Re: TMBG: Singles Re: TMBG: The TMBG Show???? Re: TMBG: Bad Words (was The F word) Re: TMBG: Bad Words (was The F word) TMBG: bad words & TMBG Show Re: (non?)TMBG: bad words & TMBG Show Re: TMBG: John & John vs. Madonna Re: TMBG: food Re: TMBG: food Re: TMBG: Bad Words (was The F word) Re: (non?)TMBG: bad words & TMBG Show Re: (non?)TMBG: bad words & TMBG Show Re: NON-TMBG: Bad Words Re: TMBG: Bad Words (was The F word) NonTMBG: The Seven Dirty Words Re: TMBG: Bad Words (was The F word) Bad Words (was The F word) Hey wait, this is NON-TMBG: Re: TMBG: Bad Words (was The F word) RE: non-TMBG: this whole swearing thing Re: NonTMBG: The Seven Dirty Words Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sun, 5 Jul 1998 19:16:12 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: The New Dan In a message dated 7/5/98 7:09:23 PM, captainmarvel2@juno.com wrote: >Does anybody know the last name of Dan, TMBG's new bass player? if it's who i'm sure it is, it's Dan Miller. from my pics: http://members.aol.com/tmbgamy/lincoln_instore.jpg (he's on the far left) http://members.aol.com/tmbgamy/linc2.jpg ~sarah ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: TMBG and Mono Puff Message-ID: <19980705.192938.8991.0.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) Date: Sun, 05 Jul 1998 19:30:39 EDT First off, did anybody see VH1's A-Z countdown thing? If so, did They have any videos played? Second: Last I heard, the first single off of IFTS is supposed to be Imaginary Friend. Derek "Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age" _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: The New Dan (plus a rant) Message-ID: <19980705.202406.14582.0.Superman75@juno.com> From: superman75@juno.com (Adam Schaaf) Date: Sun, 05 Jul 1998 20:23:35 EDT hi >>Does anybody know the last name of Dan, TMBG's new bass player? > >if it's who i'm sure it is, it's Dan Miller. why a new bassist? did hal have another band to play with? this question has been plaguing me for sometime. hal was the best candidate for the job. in my opinion, he had the best grasp of how the songs should be played. while tony and graham are quite good at what they contributed, hal did the singles for john henry and factory showroom. hal had the best charisma at shows. hal seems to be very tight with the johns. just look at his work on mono puff's two albums. this dan guy (and that's another thing, two dans and two johns. that's gonna up that damned qu*rky label that has pestered the band and their fans.) had better be pretty good. after getting a bunch of shows with hal, this guy has to pull something rather amazing out of his hat to get my vote. sigh, sometimes i yearn for the days when it was just john, john and a drum machine. adam schaaf, who's head has just fallen off. _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 5 Jul 1998 17:47:04 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re:Non-TMBG: Hitler Message-ID: hahaha. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 5 Jul 1998 20:13:40 -0500 (CDT) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG and Mono Puff Message-ID: On Sun, 5 Jul 1998, Derek A Klein wrote: > First off, did anybody see VH1's A-Z countdown thing? If so, did They > have any videos played? Well, in past instances of the A-Z countdown, I have never seen any They Might Be Giants videos played. I don't really see why that would have changed now, but I'm known to be wrong sometimes... > Second: Last I heard, the first single off of IFTS is supposed to be > Imaginary Friend. Correct. The press release that came with the album said that Imaginary Friend was the single...and while I can't find that press release any more, I believe it said that there was going to be an actual single released for it. Again, though...I could be wrong. Running on fumes yet again... The Rev |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| | Reverend Bill Tatalovich | | | | wt3@cec.wustl.edu | | personnel@kwur.wustl.edu | | | | Visit feedback for toddlers! | | http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/ | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980705220826.00aed7b0@csrlink.net> Date: Sun, 05 Jul 1998 22:08:26 -0400 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: Re: TMBG: Chat Room At 03:09 AM 7/4/98 -0400, you wrote: >I would just like to remind people that there is a very well-populated IRC >channel devoted to TMBG on EFnet IRC. Check it out :) > >EFnet #TMBG Home Page >http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/~axelrad/ > >all the info on how to join can be found there...and IRC has a lot more >cool features than java chat :) Ah ha! I go to State College for a weekend, and you try to sneak this past me. Undernet also has a #tmbg channel. I didn't wanna get personal, but #tmbg has Flipper1. The, um, rest of us pretty much worship Flipper1. He's rather god-like. Honest. Undernet #tmbg Home Page Got a couple of them, but http://www.superbooga.com (Got a domain! Yah, like that weenie EFnetter? My hard drive is MUCH bigger than yours.) Mike Leffel was about to start coming to Undernet #tmbg right before he had the computer problems. It's true. Gotta mention Leffel. Dylan "I actually love EFnet #tmbg, but Kelly (Thinks that he's soooooo horrible.) makes me cranky." Flipse Also, I now dislike VH1-Tears For Fears straight to Third Eye Blind. Bah. Dylan Flipse...one of them. - dflipse@csrlink.net Dylan's page is at http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ for now. I'll never see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed -They Might Be Giants, the coolest thing this side of Zaphod Beeblebrox. ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sun, 5 Jul 98 22:16 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Bad Words (was The F word) When I got Apollo >18 I was shocked at their use of Son-Of-A-Bitch, in I Palindome I. I >learned that it was bad to say words like Bitch, so whenever I listened >to the song, it was the one bit I refused to sing aloud. But I've gotten >over that, heck SOB is not as blasphemous as it was back in the days of >1993, at the age of 13. lol! Me too! I'd sing it, "You son of a *hmm* I Palindrome I". hee hee... Kirsten (also 13 in '93) -- [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] "And she said losing love is like a window in your heart Everybody sees you're blown apart..." - Paul Simon "Graceland" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sun, 5 Jul 98 22:18 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG and Mono Puff >Second: Last I heard, the first single off of IFTS is supposed to be >Imaginary Friend. Really? hrm... I'd think "Extra Krispy" would be a much better single, but oh well... Kirsten -- [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] "And she said losing love is like a window in your heart Everybody sees you're blown apart..." - Paul Simon "Graceland" Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001901bda88c$3fe06400$382c3ccc@blatz> From: "Johann D. Beheader" Subject: TMBG: Disliking TMBG Date: Sun, 5 Jul 1998 23:14:40 -0400 Actually, I have one friend who cant stand TMBG. Go figure. She's still really cool, though. Oh yeah...Thanks for the url, jish..Kick Ass. -fred (MrBlender) [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sun, 05 Jul 1998 23:09:35 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG and Mono Puff At 07:30 PM 7/5/98 -0400, you wrote: >First off, did anybody see VH1's A-Z countdown thing? If so, did They >have any videos played? Nope -- right from Ten Thousand Maniacs to Third Eye Blind. Mitcharf ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980706052039.432.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Lauren Mullen" Subject: TMBG: ah...columbia. Date: Sun, 05 Jul 1998 22:20:38 PDT is there any chance, do you think, of TMBG playing at the lakefront like fruvous did??? *that* would be sweet. absolutely. anyhow, is there any possible chance of another TMBG tour anytime soon? alos, adam, you were at the fruvous show too? i was right in front. they were even better than i had hoped. :o) -later.-lauren. --there's no linking all of this with cheese.-- -flaminchickin kyle carrozza. ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 01:31:39 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: The New Dan (plus a rant) the new Dan is Dan(ny) Weinkauf, Lincoln's bassist. Dan Miller was the lead guitarist and keyboardist for Lincoln, and left the band in, I believe, February (so no more New Song, Sore, or Basketball :( I liked Hal; I thought he had a good grasp of the songs, but I don't think he was necessarily any better on bass than Graham (although he did do that Spiraling Shape thing) and Graham could sing. He did great work on Spiraling Shape, Twisting, and Metal Detector, among others. Dan... well... he can play the bass OK, but his style is... crunchy. You can actually hear the strings (as in, the actual metal sound, not the tone) and the sound is much less smoth than either Graham or Hal. I think he's a little like Tony, but he looks a lot more "cool" on stage. Tony always seemed really intense. Also, his bass only has 4 strings. But they've taken the time to teach him the songs, and he plays them well (he looked a little scared during the Spy improv, though...) maybe they'll teach him something they never taught the other guys... like The World's Address or something... Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Everything sticks until it goes away, * This space inadvertently And the truth is we don't know anything." -TMBG * left blank. ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Singles Message-ID: <19980706.100641.2279.1.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) Date: Mon, 06 Jul 1998 10:07:42 EDT Well, I suppose this is a hopeless question, but does anybody know where I can get either "The Guitar", "I Palindrome I", or Birdhouse In Your Soul" singles (preferably on CD, but any format's fine)? Also, at www.tmbg.com, it says that "Don't Let's Start" and "(She Was A) Hotel Detective" are available on CD, LP, and Cassette, but in the newsletter, it says it's only available on LP and Cassette. So, is it really available on CD or not? Thanks. Derek "Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age" _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19980706105329.007e8aa0@pop.cwru.edu> Date: Mon, 06 Jul 1998 10:53:29 -0400 From: SpiderEyes Subject: TMBG: STD Two possibilities: One: They saw some reference to Severe Tire Damage and realized its initials, which are probably occasionally used, are STD, and found that vaguely amusing. Two: Severe Tire Damage, without the initials, fits right in with names like Factory Showroom. So it's also likely that they didn't think of the initials until after they came up with that as a possible album title. Oh, I suppose I should make something clear here. A lot of you, especially in small-town areas, may not know what a Severe Tire Damage is; those in cities or near secretive military installations may not know the term, but have probably seen them. (It's also referenced in Snow Crash, a cyberpunk novel by Neal Stephenson and one of the best books of all time.) To keep cars from driving in somewhere they aren't allowed, there's a set of spikes (usually one single piece of steel) sticking out of the pavement at an angle. Cars can drive over them in one direction, since the spikes are angled, but the other way it would destroy the tires. These are used either to enforce one way traffic exiting from a limited-access area, or at a guarded gate (usually governmental) where instead of lifting a silly little bar, they lower the spikes into the ground to allow you to pass. - SpiderEyes ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson (303) 684-4722 Date: Mon, 6 Jul 98 08:53:36 MDT Message-Id: <9807061453.AA06231@hops> Subject: TMBG: Weigaart Namaak! (avoid imitations) Hello listers, After reading this post, I am obliged to "blow my own horn" and put in a plug for the original, never duplicated: "They Might Be Giants Video Bootlegs" (Well, omeone _did_ do a "Vol 2.5", but I don't think they're making it available any more.) I've made Vol. 1, Vol. 2, Vol. 3, and Hatch Shell Concert Videos available for some time now. Check them out at: http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/7158/tmbg.htm Ask anyone, they're great! Russ > Message-Id: <3.0.32.19980702233134.00ba5c0c@mail.qx.net> > Date: Thu, 02 Jul 1998 23:31:37 -0400 > From: Bill Kirby > Subject: Semi-TMBG: Josh Morgan? > > hey, tmbg listees... > > just wondering if anyone knows what happened to Josh Morgan. i and 12 or > so other people sent him some money for a tmbg video compilation tape (back > around the end of april) and i haven't received anything - no email, no > tape, no nothing. i sent a request to all the others who were to receive > this tape to see if any of them had received it, and only one person > responded (and he hadn't received anything yet either). > > just curious... > > -bk -- WORK: HOME: Adaptec, Inc. Russ Josephson 1951 S. Fordham St. 1217 N. Aspen Dr. Longmont, CO 80503 Berthoud, CO 80513-1040 Phone: (303) 684-4722 (970) 532-0453 Fax: (303) 684-3020 (970) 690-1509 (cellular) mailto:russj@btc.adaptec.com mailto:russj@juno.com http://www.adaptec.com http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/7158 ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 06 Jul 1998 09:23:59 -0400 From: Destin Berthelot Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG and Mono Puff Message-id: <35A0CFEF.74C9@rollins.edu> Organization: Rollins College That's odd... at my radio station (well, I don't own it) there was a sticker from the record company on the promo album, with recommended tracks and stuff... and in bold, it said "Single: #9 Backstabbing Liar." Maybe they changed their minds. -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Destin Berthelot | "All persons, http://fox.rollins.edu/~dberthelot/ | living or dead, | are purely They Might Be Giants Visual Discography: | coincidental." http://members.xoom.com/theymightbe/ | -Kurt Vonnegut ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 12:56:11 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Singles Message-ID: <19980706.125612.4662.1.Mr.Train@juno.com> I might as well tell everybody this since I already have mine on hold: VS music has THIS for sale: THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS - THE GUITAR CD Single in a Digipak Type CD Case ELEKTRA 66394-2 Copyrighted 1992 Price $15 Item #:30848 6 Track - The Guitar(Williamsburg Mix)/The Guitar(outer Planet Mix)/Welcome To The Jungle/I Blame You/Moving To The Sum/The Guitar(Even Furter Outer Planet Mix) All the typos are the fault of VSMusic by the way. Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: Last CD purchase: Favorite mainstream song: On Mon, 06 Jul 1998 10:07:42 EDT captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) writes: >Well, I suppose this is a hopeless question, but does anybody know >where I can get either "The Guitar", "I Palindrome I", or Birdhouse In >Your Soul" singles (preferably on CD, but any format's fine)? > >Also, at www.tmbg.com, it says that "Don't Let's Start" and "(She Was >A) Hotel Detective" are available on CD, LP, and Cassette, but in the >newsletter, it says it's only available on LP and Cassette. So, is it >really available on CD or not? Thanks. > >Derek >"Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age" >_____________________________________________________________________ >You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get >completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno >at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <009001bda90b$ed95e500$04210792@super> From: "David Adams" Subject: TMBG: TMBG on TV Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 13:28:51 -0500 > Anybody have other mass media appearance suggestions beyond Conan? Why not Jay Leno or Dave Letterman? I remember when Apollo 18 had just come out and Jay Leno had just taken over The Tonight Show, TMBG was on playing "The Guitar" and "The Statue Got Me High." In fact I recorded it! They even talked about their live shows and stuff like Stump-The-Band and what they were then calling "Pass the Idiot" (crowd-surfing). Cool stuff! David Adams adams@csc.smsu.edu http://www.cs.smsu.edu/~adams ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 11:24:34 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: Bad Words (was The F word) Message-ID: really? Not me, I was 11 in 1993, and all of those words were significant (overused, as I look back) words in my vocabulary. Due to having a brother 7 years my senior whose vocabulary also consisted of such boisterous words as fuck, and SOB, I was swearing when I was 5. Well, enough venting, Cap'n Helfgott On Sun, 5 Jul 1998, Kirsten Brodbeck wrote: > When I got Apollo > >18 I was shocked at their use of Son-Of-A-Bitch, in I Palindome I. I > >learned that it was bad to say words like Bitch, so whenever I listened > >to the song, it was the one bit I refused to sing aloud. But I've gotten > >over that, heck SOB is not as blasphemous as it was back in the days of > >1993, at the age of 13. > > lol! Me too! I'd sing it, "You son of a *hmm* I Palindrome I". > hee hee... > > Kirsten > (also 13 in '93) > -- > [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][] > "And she said losing love is like a window in your heart > Everybody sees you're blown apart..." - Paul Simon "Graceland" > Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu > ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 11:27:12 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: Bad Words (was The F word) Message-ID: has anyone ever wondered the logic behind what people can and can't say on tv? It's okay, but slightly frowned upon to say ass, but illegal to say shit. You can say fuck if you put a little blip in front of the program saying that the show uses adult language, you can't say bitch in any way, shape, or form, and it's fine to say damn. I don't get it. Cap'n Helfgott ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35A11B04.C2E3B2C5@cannet.com> Date: Mon, 06 Jul 1998 14:44:20 -0400 From: Mike Blaser Subject: Re: TMBG: Bad Words (was The F word) leonard helfgott wrote: > > has anyone ever wondered the logic behind what people can and can't say on > tv? It's okay, but slightly frowned upon to say ass, but illegal to say > shit. Illegal? No....Against FCC regulations? Yes...you can't be thrown in jail for saying shit on the radio or tv > You can say fuck if you put a little blip in front of the program > saying that the show uses adult language, Since when? That's news to me > you can't say bitch in any way, > shape, or form, Ummm...yes you can ~Mike ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980706184936.21992.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: TMBG: The TMBG Show???? Date: Mon, 06 Jul 1998 11:49:36 PDT I'm sure most of you are aware that Weird Al has his own children show(With some of his songs, I'm suprised parents let their children watch). Well, it's close, but They would kick Al's ass any old day!!!!. So, why don't They get their own show???? Linnell's Story Hour??? Cooking with Flans??? Sounds good to me. Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com "He wants to knock your house down... And he can't, because you're lying in the way of his bulldozer... I think we can come to some arrangement." --Ford Prefect, "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 14:45:04 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Singles AMENDED + Letterman & Leno Message-ID: <19980706.144505.6606.0.Mr.Train@juno.com> OK, my last post needs to be amended a bit. VS Music has the CDs, they are listed at: www.cdsingle.com There are EXTREMELY limited quantities. The reason my last post was so short was that my ride was here and I had to send an e-mail to a friend and both sent. The Late Shift - TMBG actually made their Network Television Debut on Letterman and played They'll Need A Crane, then they showed up when Flood came out and played Racist Friend. They've played Istanbul, Birdhouse, Statue, and Guitar on Leno as far as I know. you can get all aformentioned performances on RUSS'S VIDEO BOOTLEGS!! (still want that endorsement deal!) Tim, what's the matter with bootblacking? I like it very much! Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: Guitar! Last CD purchase: The Guitar Single - Cherry Poppin' Daddies (Zoot Suit Riot) - Brian Setzer Orchestra - Dirty Boogie Favorite mainstream song:One Week - Barenaked Ladies On Mon, 6 Jul 1998 12:56:11 -0400 mr.train@juno.com writes: >I might as well tell everybody this since I already have mine on hold: >VS music has THIS for sale: >THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS - THE GUITAR >CD Single in a Digipak Type CD Case >ELEKTRA 66394-2 Copyrighted 1992 >Price $15 Item #:30848 >6 Track - The Guitar(Williamsburg Mix)/The Guitar(outer Planet >Mix)/Welcome To >The Jungle/I Blame You/Moving To The Sum/The Guitar(Even Furter Outer >Planet Mix) > >On Mon, 06 Jul 1998 10:07:42 EDT captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A >Klein) writes: >>Well, I suppose this is a hopeless question, but does anybody know >>where I can get either "The Guitar", "I Palindrome I", or Birdhouse >In Your Soul" singles (preferably on CD, but any format's fine)? <> _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 12:12:24 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: Bad Words (was The F word) Message-ID: no, you can't say bitch on t.v, and it is punishable by fine if you say shit, which means that for all practical purposes, it is illegal, just like a speeding ticket, you can't get thrown in jail for that, but it is illegal. Cap'n Helfgott ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19980706151705.007aa100@pop.cwru.edu> Date: Mon, 06 Jul 1998 15:17:05 -0400 From: SpiderEyes Subject: Re: TMBG: The TMBG Show???? >So, why don't They get their own show???? Linnell's Story Hour??? >Cooking with Flans??? Sounds good to me. Flan with Flans- yeah! Maybe Linnell could do one of those home improvement shows, like "Lintels with Linnell" or "Remodeling Your John with John." - SpiderEyes, on a little too much caffeine (Explanation if needed: flan is a pudding-type dessert, like creme caramel.) ------------------------------ Subject: NON-TMBG: Weird Al show (was The TMBG Show????) Message-ID: <19980706.151944.14550.0.Superman75@juno.com> From: superman75@juno.com (Adam Schaaf) Date: Mon, 06 Jul 1998 15:19:22 EDT hi. >I'm sure most of you are aware that Weird Al has his own children >show how many people actually get this show? out here in the greater Philadelphia area, it doesn't air at all because of sports programming. CBS swears that it makes the local affiliates air the show when it's pre-empted, but that's not the case here (or, at least, from what i can tell). anyone else have this problem? >(With some of his songs, I'm suprised parents let their children >watch). umm, why would parents not let their children listen to and watch Weird Al? if anything, Al seems to be perfect for children. rarely do his songs promote violence, and when they do it's in a comical manner. i think Al's music is about as harmless, but just as entertaining as say, looney tunes or animanics. al's show, from what i've heard, consistently promotes self-esteem, education and morality to kids. adam schaaf, who likes to promote black coffee and chocolate cake to his kids. _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: mjames@khserver.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9807061912.AA07092@khserver.loyola.edu> Subject: NON-TMBG: Bad Words Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 15:12:51 -0400 (EDT) > no, you can't say bitch on t.v, and it is punishable by fine if you say > shit, which means that for all practical purposes, it is illegal, just > like a speeding ticket, you can't get thrown in jail for that, but it is > illegal. > Cap'n Helfgott Really? How has South Park made it this far? My god they must have a lot of fines building up. -Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19980706152256.007f9230@pop.cwru.edu> Date: Mon, 06 Jul 1998 15:22:56 -0400 From: SpiderEyes Subject: Re: TMBG: Bad Words (was The F word) >no, you can't say bitch on t.v On any show where you can say fuck, you can. >it is punishable by fine if you say shit, which means that for all practical >purposes, it is illegal, just like a speeding ticket With a speeding ticket, you get fined directly by the government. If you don't pay, you _can_ be thrown in jail. For saying shit, you get fined by the FCC, which I think is still slightly different. If you don't pay, you can get banned from the air, but you can't be thrown in jail. - SpiderEyes "I hope that clarified your conceptions and expanded on your misconceptions." ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Bad Words (was The F word) Message-ID: <19980706.152252.2279.0.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) Date: Mon, 06 Jul 1998 15:24:00 EDT >no, you can't say bitch on t.v, Well, I guess there are some exceptions, such as "Beavis and Butt-Head" and "South Park", and I know that I've heard it many other places. Derek "Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age" _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 12:25:23 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: Bad Words (was The F word) Message-ID: I'm using it as a euphorism. for all practical purposes, it's illegal. You can't do anything on the air if you do it, so it's kind of the same thing. Cap'n Helfgott * ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If life were a rose, The cowboys walk I'd have a thorn stuck up my ass slowly, for they are veterans of the biff it kitchen fight of 1982 ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 12:25:58 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Bad Words Message-ID: that's cable, and laws are slightly different for cable than for networks. Cap'n Helfgott ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 12:26:45 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: The TMBG Show???? Message-ID: I think most of us got the Flan joke. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35A12548.56088B07@cannet.com> Date: Mon, 06 Jul 1998 15:28:08 -0400 From: Mike Blaser Subject: Re: TMBG: Bad Words (was The F word) leonard helfgott wrote: > > no, you can't say bitch on t.v, Yes you can. I have heard it many many times. I dunno what you're watching. I'm not trying to start a petty argument or anything here, but I know I've heard it on TV ~Mike ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35A12981.A74BFDD8@cannet.com> Date: Mon, 06 Jul 1998 15:46:09 -0400 From: Mike Blaser Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Bad Words leonard helfgott wrote: > > that's cable, and laws are slightly different for cable than for networks. > Cap'n Helfgott Uh huh...see, when you said TV, myself and probably most other people took it to mean TV in general...not just networks. You should've specified. Oh, and you don't need to reply to both the original poster and the list. It's mildly annoying to get the same message twice. ~Mike ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980706195923.5627.rocketmail@web2.rocketmail.com> Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 12:59:23 -0700 (PDT) From: Danielle Gaither Subject: Re: TMBG: Bad Words and NONTMBG: Word Rant ---gray42@juno.com wrote: > > This message contains no refference to f*ck, but it does contain two TMBG > stories relating to bad words. I was young when I first listened to > TMBG, about 13, got most of the albums fairly quickly. When I got Apollo > 18 I was shocked at their use of Son-Of-A-Bitch, in I Palindome I. I > learned that it was bad to say words like Bitch, so whenever I listened > to the song, it was the one bit I refused to sing aloud. But I've gotten > over that, heck SOB is not as blasphemous as it was back in the days of > 1993, at the age of 13. It was my first clue that TMBG wasn't soley for > little kids. True enough, but they also know that they have a strong appeal to young kids. So while they may throw assorted words around on stage and on their website (well, it's not thrown around on the website, but it's there), I think releasing an album with said words might limit their appeal in that area. Of course, it might gain them a new audience among the oh-so-rebellious-but-actually-conformist teenage crowd, but...oh, never mind. For me, I didn't seriously get into Them until I was 18, so it didn't really bother me, although it did come as a bit of a surprise. As far as singing along, I'm an atheist, so it doesn't really matter to me. > Once, in a group of children that were my age and older, I wanted to play > Flood for the entire group, but the leader wouldn't let me because Racist > Friend contained the word hypocrite, now that's severe. OK, here's the word rant the subject line promised: Sometimes people need to hear disturbing things. Sometimes people need to have their precious, sheltered little minds blown apart and turned upside down. It really pisses me off when people try to sweep something under the carpet because it's "disturbing." Racist Friend is probably exactly the kind of thing these people need to hear, but because of these repressive types, things don't get said that need to be said. There. Much better. Reminding everyone to watch their fucking language, Danielle Inspector Over the Mine === URL: http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/1054/index.html "Should you worry when the skullhead is in front of you, or is it worse because it's always waiting where your eyes don't go?" --They Might Be Giants _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Singles Message-ID: <19980706.155506.8991.0.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) Date: Mon, 06 Jul 1998 15:56:08 EDT >VS Music has the CDs, they are listed at: www.cdsingle.com Can someone give me the e-mail address for this place? Thanks. Derek "Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age" _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19980706160423.007af100@pop.cwru.edu> Date: Mon, 06 Jul 1998 16:04:23 -0400 From: SpiderEyes Subject: Re: TMBG: The TMBG Show???? >I think most of us got the Flan joke. I'm sure _most_ did- but flan is not one of the more common desserts, especially in some areas of the country, and I didn't want anyone who didn't to feel left out. In a similar fashion, most TMBG fans live east of Washington- but that doesn't mean They should avoid our lovely state when they tour. And most Giantheads from the Northwest are over 17- but I doubt you would be pleased if their next show in Washington was 18&over, since I suspect they'll be back well before you are of legal age. - SpiderEyes ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980706201733.00689a48@cybnetonline.com> Date: Mon, 06 Jul 1998 15:17:33 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: Bad Words (was The F word) >> You can say fuck if you put a little blip in front of the program >> saying that the show uses adult language, > >Since when? That's news to me > I believe since the rating system was instituted. I'm sure, because, uh, I've seen a non-edited "smack my bitch up" video on MTV. Boy was that wierd, seeing nudity on MTV. LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19980706161751.0082e100@email.psu.edu> Date: Mon, 06 Jul 1998 16:17:51 -0400 From: "J. L. Moquin" Subject: Re: TMBG: Bad Words (was The F word) Mike Blaser wrote: >leonard helfgott wrote: >> no, you can't say bitch on t.v, > >Yes you can. I have heard it many many times. I dunno what you're >watching. I'm not trying to start a petty argument or anything here, but >I know I've heard it on TV Heck, I remember vividly the first time I heard it on TV. And I mean network, prime time, not cable. (There was no cable back in those days anyway. Dinosaurs ruled the earth.) It was on an episode of M*A*S*H. I was (obviously) impressed. :) That was nigh on 20 year ago, eh? -jennifer, mommy to alice the bean, 8/15/97 UPDATED!! http://www.emprl.psu.edu/~anth/ mailto:jls5@psu.edu "My motto, as I live and learn, Is dig and be dug in return" -- Langston Hughes ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <66c9b8ab.35a13640@aol.com> Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 16:40:31 EDT Subject: TMBG: bad words & TMBG Show >Cooking with Flans??? he can do his pancake recipe! :) >no, you can't say bitch on t.v, yes you can... ever seen a talk show or a hip sitcom? one censoring bit i still do not understand is: "ass *beep*" for "asshole"... "hole" is "offensive" as opposed to "ass"? re: weird al's show - wasn't it canceled after 1 season? ~sarah http://lava.home.ml.org n.p. barenaked ladies - _born on a pirate ship_ ..._stunt_ tomorrow!! ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Message-ID: <91eed965.35a1398b@aol.com> Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 16:54:34 EDT Subject: Re: (non?)TMBG: bad words & TMBG Show In a message dated 98-07-06 16:49:09 EDT, KdsInThHal@aol.com writes: << re: weird al's show - wasn't it canceled after 1 season? >> Yeah...CBS cancelled all of their non-cartoon shows... And about the Al show being educational...YEAH, but that is only because CBS MADE it be education. Currently Al is looking for other networks where it could be a little more grownup. And you CAN say "bitch" on major networks. First time I heard it was Tracey Ulman as the dog obedience school trainer on The Simpsons saying "Why that son of a bitch". I have heard "bitch" several other times on Simpsons... Jordan ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 16:08:59 -0500 (CDT) From: Kim Justice Subject: Re: TMBG: John & John vs. Madonna Message-ID: On Thu, 2 Jul 1998, The Li'l Depressed Boy wrote: > Okay I'm confused, what "magnetic poetry" is. I do know what Obsequious is, > I actually looked it up the other day. It's a fun toy. Check out http://www.magpo.com kj -- justicek@edge.net (Kim Justice) http://edge.edge.net/~justicek The switchman yells as you gather steam "Turn this train around" -- Guadalcanal Diary ------------------------------ From: MsTanbul@aol.com Message-ID: <3e6d11e2.35a13cf6@aol.com> Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 17:09:08 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: food What about Flansburgh's French Toast. Wasn't there a recipe in a newsletter or something once. A friend made it once and it was LETHAL. No Substitutions Marianne ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <4c1a36b9.35a13d94@aol.com> Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 17:11:47 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: food In a message dated 7/6/98 5:09:08 PM, MsTanbul wrote: >What about Flansburgh's French Toast. Wasn't there a recipe in a newsletter or >something once. what did i say, pancakes? oh well, i was in a hurry. :) the french toast thing was what i meant. sarah ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 15:13:36 -0600 (MDT) From: Scot Westwood Subject: Re: TMBG: Bad Words (was The F word) Message-ID: Let me get get this straight MTV the station that won't play Sublimes' Santa Ria without bleeping out the word cap, is playing the unedited version of Smack My Bitch Up. What a bunch of shitheads. ------------------------------ Message-Id: From: The Pope Subject: Re: (non?)TMBG: bad words & TMBG Show Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 16:15:16 -0500 >And you CAN say "bitch" on major networks. First time I heard it was Tracey >Ulman as the dog obedience school trainer on The Simpsons saying "Why that son >of a bitch". I have heard "bitch" several other times on Simpsons... > > >Jordan Yes and this is FOX your talking about. I swear Fox will be a porn channel in the next couple years. "Wow, FOX turned into a hard core porn channel so gradually I didn't even notice" - Bart Simpson (I hope I got that quote right) and on TMBG I can't wait till Aug. 11th so I can purchase my copy of STD. I'm saving my money right now. ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Message-ID: <5aa9c36f.35a13ed5@aol.com> Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 17:17:03 EDT Subject: Re: (non?)TMBG: bad words & TMBG Show In a message dated 98-07-06 17:16:17 EDT, ja0022@drake.edu writes: << "Wow, FOX turned into a hard core porn channel so gradually I didn't even notice" - Bart Simpson (I hope I got that quote right) >> OOOOH almost, MARGE Simpson said that, not Bart.. Um...TMBG RULES MAN! WOOH!\ Jordan ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 16:30:37 -0500 (CDT) From: "Christopher M. Stangl" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Bad Words Message-ID: On Mon, 6 Jul 1998, Matthew James wrote: > > no, you can't say bitch on t.v, and it is punishable by fine if you say > > shit, which means that for all practical purposes, it is illegal, just > > like a speeding ticket, you can't get thrown in jail for that, but it is > > illegal. > > Really? How has South Park made it this far? My god they must have a > lot of fines building up. "South Park" is a Comedy Central show, though. Comedy Central being a cable station, it is not subject to review by the FCC. The FCC only deals with broadcast media (broadcast television, radio, microwave ovens- anything that uses airwaves). Since cable programs are transported via, well, cable, they aren't subject to FCC fines. That's why "South Park" is able to have such a rich pallet of obscenities including dozens of "Bitches", "asshole", and the perennially verboten "goddamn". This raises the question "Why can Cartman say 'goddamn', which you can't say on CBS, but he CAN'T say 'fuck' without getting it beeped out?" That's just a simple matter of station policy. Cartman can't say "fuck" because even though the show bears a rating of TV-MA (said ratings are voluntary in the industry), the number of potential complaints and lost viewers (and thereby potential AD REVENUE) is too great to concern themselves with. That's why when Comedy Central shows "Vacation" you don't see any boobies, and that's why Cartman don't say "fuck". -Chris Fucking Stangl ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 16:32:12 -0500 (CDT) From: "Christopher M. Stangl" Subject: Re: TMBG: Bad Words (was The F word) Message-ID: On Mon, 6 Jul 1998, leonard helfgott wrote: > I'm using it as a euphorism. That's probably not a good debate tactic, then, since "euphorism" isn't a word... -Chris Stangl ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35A144A8.27CDEB78@ix.netcom.com> Date: Mon, 06 Jul 1998 17:42:00 -0400 From: Amanda Nichols Subject: NonTMBG: The Seven Dirty Words What you're talking about in regard to the swearing stuff is a loosening on the interpertation of the words that can and can't be broadcast. George Carlin's Seven Dirty Words can never, *EVER* be said over the air, but, as many a Dj has pointed out, "You can say 'ass' on the air. You can't say 'ass' followed by the name of Courtney Love's band." THere are words that you can get away with saying, like "Bitch" or "Damn." There's also a "safe harbor" time that allows DJs more freedom (usually after 9pm), as it's well after the drive time. ahhh.. the FCC! AManda ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 16:46:22 -0500 (CDT) From: "Christopher M. Stangl" Subject: Re: TMBG: Bad Words (was The F word) Message-ID: On Mon, 6 Jul 1998, leonard helfgott wrote: > has anyone ever wondered the logic behind what people can and can't say on > tv? Essentially as long as you are in some way "serving the public interest", you will stay free of FCC intervention. Now as for what constitutes as serving the public interest... that IS a bit messy. > It's okay, but slightly frowned upon to say ass, Depending on how you use "ass". If the FCC determines that you're using "ass" in an "obscene" manner, they will fine you. David Letterman can make jokes about "Big Ass Hams", but he can not say "I want to have sexual intercourse with your ass", without getting some heat. Context (and frequency- too many "asses" in one time-slot, and you might have the Commission breathing down your neck) is also important. > but illegal to say shit. Not so. Prefaced by the proper warnings and/or disclaimers, and with reasonable artistic and/or educational value you can say/ show damn near anything you want on broadcast television. That is why "NYPD Blue" can say "dickhead", and PBS can show exposed breasts. > you can't say bitch in any way, shape, or form, Blatantly incorrect. Missed when TMBG sang "I Palindrome I" on "Late Night with David Letterman", did you? Besides such popular and important shows as "All in the Family", "M*A*S*H", "The Simpsons", "Seinfeld", "Roseanne", "The Golden Girls" and more, from the top of the quality spectrum to the absolute bottom have featured the word "bitch" on numerous occasions. > and it's fine to say damn. Again, in the proper context, and absolutely in the proper time-slot (try a "Damn" in the middle of a Saturday morning kiddie cartoon on CBS and see what happens). Though most stations will not air a program with the word "Goddamn". The difference between "damn" and "goddamn" is an ocean in the eyes of network censors. This is ONLY relevant to US television naturally. The television of the rest of the world evolved in a drastically different manner, and has very different standards. -Chris Stangl ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980706214508.007044d8@cybnetonline.com> Date: Mon, 06 Jul 1998 16:45:08 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Bad Words (was The F word) Hey wait, this is NON-TMBG: At 03:13 PM 7/6/98 -0600, Scot Westwood wrote: > Let me get get this straight MTV the station that won't play >Sublimes' Santa Ria without bleeping out the word cap, is playing the >unedited version of Smack My Bitch Up. What a bunch of shitheads. > They only played if for a week though. I recorded it, just for the disclaimer in front of it. It is sooooooo funny to hear Kurt Loader say, "Smack my bitch up" six or seven times. LDB, OFF TOPIC!!! -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980706215451.007070cc@cybnetonline.com> Date: Mon, 06 Jul 1998 16:54:51 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: Bad Words (was The F word) > Though most stations will not air a program with the word >"Goddamn". The difference between "damn" and "goddamn" is an ocean in the >eyes of network censors. MTV our favorite "We've shown soft-core porn" (not-so-oftenly-played) music channel, cencors the song Flagpole Sitta by Harvey Danger, and the funny thing is, they bleep the god not the damn. Is god a cuss word now? That sure would be funny. God you man! God you all! LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 17:13:25 -0500 (CDT) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: RE: non-TMBG: this whole swearing thing Message-ID: Hey all-- All right...I don't know why I'm dragging this one out any further (as I'm bored with it), but here goes: Sarah said: > yes you can... ever seen a talk show or a hip sitcom? > one censoring bit i still do not understand is: "ass *beep*" for > "asshole"..."hole" is "offensive" as opposed to "ass"? It's not the word "hole" that's causing the problems (sort of). "Ass" is fine, "hole" is fine...but put the two together, you got a problem. I don't know...my radio station is dealing with FCC stuff right now (in a hope to eventually get our wattage increased), and their rules about "naughty words" are a bit, uh, vague. Scot said: > Let me get get this straight MTV the station that won't play > Sublimes' Santa Ria without bleeping out the word cap, is playing the > unedited version of Smack My Bitch Up. What a bunch of shitheads. The thing with MTV now is that they've been trying to keep references to violence out of music videos that they receive now (obviously, they haven't done anything with the older videos). I think a more insane version of this censoring is with Moby's cover of Mission of Burma's "That's When I Reach For My Revolver", which was on his album Animal Rights. He made a video for the song and turned it in to MTV. They refused it, saying that he had to change the line "That's when I reach for my revolver / That's when it all gets blown away" to the line "That's when I realize it's over / That's when it all gets blown away." First off, this is a COVER. A cover of a song from (I believe) 15 years ago. But, for some reason, Moby agreed to do it. And the only bad thing about playing the video for "Smack My Bitch Up" (aside from it being the Prodigy, for whom I have lost all respect) is the appearance of bare breasts. After all, as we figured out, there ain't nothing wrong with saying "bitch" on the air. Amanda said: > George Carlin's Seven Dirty Words can never, *EVER* be said over the > air, but, as many a Dj has pointed out, "You can say 'ass' on the air. > You can't say 'ass' followed by the name of Courtney Love's band." > THere are words that you can get away with saying, like "Bitch" or > "Damn." There's also a "safe harbor" time that allows DJs more freedom > (usually after 9pm), as it's well after the drive time. The "safe harbor" time put forth by the FCC is from 10 pm until 6 am. Makes my fellow d.j.'s around here very happy...especially the hip-hop and metal d.j.'s. In general, the reason why we're sort of arguing about this topic is, as I said, the FCC's rules regarding obscenity are entirely too vague to be figured out by anyone, let alone the people who have to enforce the rule. The only thing for sure right now is that "shit, cunt, fuck, motherfucker, cocksucker, tit, and piss" are still naughty. And I'm not even sure about "tit" anymore. Go figure. The Rev |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| | Reverend Bill Tatalovich | | | | wt3@cec.wustl.edu | | personnel@kwur.wustl.edu | | | | Visit feedback for toddlers! | | http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/ | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001001bda92e$b9c18860$27c408d1@idiotnot.visi.net> From: "S. Bergeron" Subject: Re: NonTMBG: The Seven Dirty Words Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 18:37:55 -0400 :What you're talking about in regard to the swearing stuff is a loosening :on the interpertation of the words that can and can't be broadcast. : George Carlin's Seven Dirty Words can never, *EVER* be said over the :air, but, as many a Dj has pointed out, "You can say 'ass' on the air. :You can't say 'ass' followed by the name of Courtney Love's band." : THere are words that you can get away with saying, like "Bitch" or :"Damn." There's also a "safe harbor" time that allows DJs more freedom :(usually after 9pm), as it's well after the drive time. : ahhh.. the FCC! The TMBG List's resident broadcast professional (WPEN-TV Hampton, VA) steps up to the mic.... Fer the record, Carlin's seven words are: Shit Piss Cunt Fuck Cocksucker Motherfucker and Tits Furthermore, words describing excretory activities, products, or organs are considered "indecent" under FCC regulations. There used to be a tight belt around broadcast outlets as far as these violations go. However, one good thing the Republican Congress has done is severely cut the FCC's staff. For example, in 1993, the FCC office in Norfolk, VA (covers MD, VA, DC, and NC) had thirty employees. Since last summer, that number has been a grand total of two. Many things slip by today, simply because the censors don't hear it. If you're offended by something said on the radio, you really have to report it to the FCC to get anything done about it. Then again, the decency laws themselves are in doubt, due to the Supreme Court's ruling last summer on the CDA. The CDA's wording was very similar to the FCC's broadcast standards....it would reason that the next time a decency case comes before the court, a similar verdict would be rendered. The FCC is what most regulatory agencies are; a mess. It's like the FAA's dual role (up until the TWA 800 explosion) of promoting air travel and ensuring safety (two often conflicting goals). If you want to know more, take a gander at Howard Stern's book, "Miss America." He chronicles Infinity Broadcasting's (nee CBS/Westinghouse) difficulties with the FCC over him. Jack Bergeron idiotnot@visi.net bluedawg@tmbg.org http://www.monopuff.org/~bluedawg "As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way."--Jack Handy ICQ#5909618 ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #8-8 ****************************