Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #9-1 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 9, Number 1 Saturday, 1 August 1998 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm on y100 TMBG: Re: Non-tmbg: Things coming out of Germany. ("Gross!!!") Re: TMBG: Things coming out of Germany. TMBG: Re: TMBG movie song casting TMBG: Re: Non-tmbg: Things coming out of Germany. ("Gross!!!") Re: TMBG: non-tmbg: the best thing to come out of germany Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm on y100 Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm on y100 Re: TMBG: Why the Dr. Worm thing won't work Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm on y100 Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm on y100 Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm on y100 TMBG: hatch shell concert Re: TMBG: Why the Dr. Worm thing won't work TMBG: Dr. Worm on the radio Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm on the radio TMBG: Re: TMBG movie song casting TMBG: Commies, and a lack thereof NON TMBG: Communists, and Christians and Atheists (oh my) Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm on the radio TMBG: TMBG-vote, help! Re: TMBG: hatch shell concert Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm on the radio Re: TMBG: hatch shell concert Re: NON TMBG: Communists, and Christians and Atheists (oh my) Re: TMBG: hatch shell concert NON-TMBG: German Music TMBG: Re: tmbg- Concerts, bitches 'n' gripes, etc. Re: TMBG: hatch shell concert Re: TMBG: Commies, and a lack thereof Re: TMBG: Why the Dr. Worm thing won't work TMBG: hatch shell 98!!!! TMBG: (non) video game music Re: Non-TMBG: Commies Re: TMBG: hatch shell concert Re: TMBG: hatch shell 98!!!! Re: TMBG: hatch shell concert Non-TMBG: Red Commies Re: Non-TMBG: Islam Re: Non-TMBG: Red Commies Re: Non-TMBG: Red Commies and Islam TMBG: that movie thingy Re: Non-TMBG: Commies Re: Non-TMBG: Red Commies and Islam Re: Non-TMBG: Red Commies and Islam Re: TMBG: that movie thingy Non-TMBG: "There are more Muslims" Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <35C106F0.666E1052@cannet.com> Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 19:51:12 -0400 From: Mike Blaser Subject: Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm on y100 The Li'l Depressed Boy wrote: > Sorry, Mikey. Don't call me that > You're living in a fantasy land. You can't seperate dance > from techno, who said I was trying to? > (or as you sillily call it, electronica) Electronica is a broad term to generalize elctronic music....anything from ambient to dance to drum n bass to jungle to trip-hop...oh yeah, and sillily isn't a word listen to the music > beyond the guitar, it's more akin to dee-lite than KMFDM. KMFDM is > Industrial. Ok I've been listening to Rammstein for a while now , and within the past 6 months or so to KMFDM, and IMO they are very similar. If you wanted to say Rammstein was a rip-off of KMFDM, I wouldn't have any arguments cause they sound nearly the same. And I'm just wondering, how much of Rammstein have you heard? > Now get back to your silly life. I just love morons who try to judge people they've never even met > Oh wait one more thing, > Ramsteen refers to themselves as Dance Metal, another point for me. I'll believe that when I see the interview or whatever where they said that. And I didn't know we were keeping score. Oh and another thing, you really like pushing people's buttons don't you? (e.g. Mikey, Rammsteen) It's fun to do that when you're sitting behind a computer screen, hundreds of miles away isn't it? I know I'm gonna get flamed for this, but if you were this much of a smartass to me in real life...which I highly doubt you'd have the balls to do....I woulda beat your ass two days ago...I really hate egotistical morons who hide behind a computer ~Mike "Maybe it's just bullshit and I should play GOD, and shoot you myself." -Tool ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 19:57:09 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Re: Non-tmbg: Things coming out of Germany. ("Gross!!!") Message-ID: <19980730.195712.3806.0.djMagma@juno.com> From: djmagma@juno.com (Davin Q. Hutchingstone) I hate to say it, but everyone who said Rammsteeeen and that other band were good obviously has never heard the German band "Wizo." Wizo is the best punk band I've ever heard, and it is funny when they try to sing in English. Listen to them NOW!!!!! Also, I saw Saving Private Ryan. It was good. It had something to do with Germany. I heard that a lot of WWII veterans who go to see it run out of the theater faster than a cripple with one leg, or they just explode in their seats. Oh yeah, I almost forgot to say "Bye." -Dave Hutch "Trying to pull a Leffel variation" _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980731002520.11081.rocketmail@send1c.yahoomail.com> Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 17:25:20 -0700 (PDT) From: Malcolm MacTavish Subject: Re: TMBG: Things coming out of Germany. We've been discussing good music from Germany for an appallingly long time now without anyone mentioning Can. You can keep your Ramsteins and your Einsturzende Neubautens and your Nenas. I know my Redeemer liveth and his name is Holger Czukay. M.M'T. _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG movie song casting Message-ID: <19980730.205027.2615.0.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 20:51:33 EDT Well, I made a video project for English last year, and for the opening credits I used "Dig My Grave". The opening scene showed two cartoon chickens (I used the Mario Paint video game) talking to each other while "She Was A Hotel Detective" played. I think it looked pretty funny :) . Anyway, I threw in snipits of several songs throughout the video (Istanbul, Ondine, BirdhouseIYS, Backstabbing Liar, etc.) Finally, I introduced TMBG to my class!! Derek "Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age" _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 18:52:10 -0600 Subject: TMBG: Re: Non-tmbg: Things coming out of Germany. ("Gross!!!") Message-ID: <19980730.185217.15542.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> >Also, I saw Saving Private Ryan. >It was good. was anyone else that *isn't* a veteran highly disturbed by this movie? take it easy, JOrdaN ::: queen of irrelevant posts http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html Marcy Playground, Lincoln, and Mono Puff pages updated TODAY! check back soon for TMBG and Brian Dewan ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 20:54:46 EDT Subject: Re: Re: TMBG: non-tmbg: the best thing to come out of germany In a message dated 7/30/98 5:41:51 PM, CajunGram@aol.com wrote: ><< That is not true at all. The best thing to come out of Germany is Nazi's > (cough). But seriously the best thing (and band) to come out of Germany is > the band Nena. Has anyone ever heard 99 luftballoons? >> > >what about Kraftwerk? I was gonna say the same thing:) and that's....it:) sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35C140B0.3AED@fuse.net> Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 20:57:36 -0700 From: jays your one-paged dictionary Organization: dial-a-song! 718-387-6962, narrrrrrrrr! Subject: Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm on y100 Mike Blaser wrote: > Oh and another thing, you really like pushing people's buttons don't > you? (e.g. Mikey, Rammsteen) It's fun to do that when you're sitting > behind a computer screen, hundreds of miles away isn't it? I know I'm > gonna get flamed for this, but if you were this much of a smartass to me > in real life...which I highly doubt you'd have the balls to do....I > woulda beat your ass two days ago...I really hate egotistical morons who > hide behind a computer Well, Mikey-boy, as long as we're correcting a person's english usage--as you did with LDB--I have a few qualms: don't use so many elipses, punctuate your sentences, and don't be so careless with your spelling. Such annoys me one helluva lot more than "sililly;" at least that's .. creative. On another point, you seem to be a pot calling a kettle black--it's easy for you to flame LDB as a wimp and an asshole who wouldn't have the guts to stand up to you in person, when you, yourself, are so far away. Who's the egostical moron, pray tell? Having never heard RamstEEN, I cannot personally judge its musical value--but from what I've heard from others, it's absolute shit that should be obliterated from the world. I trust them more than I trust you. peace, love, and good happiness stuff, jay. -- jayhc--always accurate, constant, and intense. e-mail: sirjamez@fuse.net, phonebook@tmbg.org aol im: SaturnChrd, PhoneBookJ irc: PhoneBook "and sadly the cross-eyed bear's been put to sleep behind the stairs, and his shoes are laced with irony." --tmbg "Hey, some people take drugs and some people like to have sex all day, I like to watch my bees as I make music, so what." --steve vai -- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980730130438.006cbbf0@cybnetonline.com> Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 08:04:38 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm on y100 NEVER TAKE ME THAT SERIOUSLY, ALWAYS TAKE ME WITH A GRAIN OF PEPPER, or some other thing you poor on your food. At 07:51 PM 7/30/98 -0400, Mike Blaser wrote: >The Li'l Depressed Boy wrote: > >> Sorry, Mikey. > >Don't call me that > How 'bout Mikers, or MikeyMikeyFooFoo? > >> You're living in a fantasy land. You can't seperate dance >> from techno, > >who said I was trying to? > I didn't say you were trying to, you were doing. > >> (or as you sillily call it, electronica) > >Electronica is a broad term to generalize elctronic music....anything >from ambient to dance to drum n bass to jungle to trip-hop...oh yeah, >and sillily isn't a word > Guess what "Electronica" is an uneeded word, used to bunch techno and dance into the same group. And sillily is a word, I made it up. I'm a writer, were aloud to make up our own words, Shakespear was famous for that. > > listen to the music >> beyond the guitar, it's more akin to dee-lite than KMFDM. KMFDM is >> Industrial. > >Ok I've been listening to Rammstein for a while now , and within the >past 6 months or so to KMFDM, and IMO they are very similar. If you >wanted to say Rammstein was a rip-off of KMFDM, I wouldn't have any >arguments cause they sound nearly the same. And I'm just wondering, how >much of Rammstein have you heard? > Their entire new album, and I've listened to several KMFDM albums. The only thing they have in common is the guitar. Neither should be in the same group. Again, I state, ignore the guitar, listen to the beats and the music behind the beats. > >> Now get back to your silly life. > >I just love morons who try to judge people they've never even met > I love it when people take me seriously and make themselves look like an ass. I really wish you people would learn to not do that. :) > >> Oh wait one more thing, >> Ramsteen refers to themselves as Dance Metal, another point for me. > >I'll believe that when I see the interview or whatever where they said >that. And I didn't know we were keeping score. > Just look at what they call themselves in german, translate that into english. It's Dance Metal. OH, I ALWAYS keep score. >Oh and another thing, you really like pushing people's buttons don't >you? (e.g. Mikey, Rammsteen) It's fun to do that when you're sitting >behind a computer screen, hundreds of miles away isn't it? I know I'm >gonna get flamed for this, but if you were this much of a smartass to me >in real life...which I highly doubt you'd have the balls to do....I >woulda beat your ass two days ago...I really hate egotistical morons who >hide behind a computer > Please, please, stop it. I think I'm gonna die laughing. I don't know who the egomeniacal one, but all I gotta say is: PUT THE TESTOSTERONE UP! This is the Internet, don't take the people on it seriously, I can't do nuthin' to you, you can't do nuthin' to me. THE END NOW, go back to your silly life, LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <3d376b89.35c11a68@aol.com> Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 21:14:14 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Why the Dr. Worm thing won't work In a message dated 7/30/98 7:02:24 PM, hotcha57@hotmail.com wrote: >The following is a response I got from a local DJ who frequently plays >"Spy" in the background when he's talking... > >>Jason, > >> Dude, I'm sorry but I don't get to pick any of the music. I have to >>play off a list and unfortunately, the music director and the program >>director didn't add the new They Might Be Giants. > >>Sorry Man >> Tripp > >Oh man...they won't even play it as a call-in request (I've tried it) radio is a funny thing. i wish i was program director. ;) of course, the first thought is if it's not on the play list - they won't play it. here, ok, wber (as i've spoken of too many times ) is a non-profit volunteer dj station. yet, if you go off the playlist too much, you can lose your "job" there. which is really stupid (anyone here remember shep? if i recall right that's what happened to him)... *however* if the requests flood in (no pun intended) they're "forced" to add it to the playlist - well not *forced*, but they get the idea that's what people wasnt to hear. eh? that's how (and don't slam me for bringing them up again...) Moxy Fruvous got popular here... non-stop request. i mean, gosh, what's the worst that could happen if you keep requesting eh? sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35C1219F.45BADF28@cannet.com> Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 21:45:04 -0400 From: Mike Blaser Subject: Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm on y100 jays your one-paged dictionary wrote: > > Well, Mikey-boy, as long as we're correcting a person's english > usage--as you did with LDB--I have a few qualms: don't use so many > elipses, punctuate your sentences, and don't be so careless with your > spelling. Such annoys me one helluva lot more than "sililly;" at least > that's .. creative. That made absolutely no sense "Such annoys me one helluva lot more..." And I went back and ran my post through a spell check and didn't find any spelling mistakes. Other than things like 'gonna'...but I type like that cause that's the way I talk > > On another point, you seem to be a pot calling a kettle black--it's easy > for you to flame LDB as a wimp and an asshole who wouldn't have the guts > to stand up to you in person, when you, yourself, are so far away. > Who's the egostical moron, pray tell? Look who's the pot calling a kettle black...you bust my balls for spelling, meanwhile you spell egotistical 'egostical'. And I know I'm so far away, but you seem to have missed my point. I'm saying IF it was in person....well, you know the rest > Having never heard RamstEEN, I cannot personally judge its musical > value--but from what I've heard from others, it's absolute shit that > should be obliterated from the world. I trust them more than I trust > you. And I'm sure there's plenty of bands that you like that I feel the same way about, but it's pointless to argue about it. Which is why I'm done with this thread for good now. There's no point in arguing with two people you couldn't stand ever since they joined the list over how to classify a band ~Mike ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35C1226F.375E32EA@cannet.com> Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 21:48:31 -0400 From: Mike Blaser Subject: Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm on y100 The Li'l Depressed Boy wrote: > Just look at what they call themselves in german, translate that into > english. It's Dance Metal. Huh? Ok I know I said I'm done with this thread, but are you talking about what Rammstein translates to in English? Rammstein = battering ram in English ~Mike ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35C12394.B5C@geocities.com> Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 18:53:24 -0700 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm on y100 > NEVER TAKE ME THAT SERIOUSLY, ALWAYS TAKE ME WITH A GRAIN OF PEPPER, or some > other thing you poor on your food. > > At 07:51 PM 7/30/98 -0400, Mike Blaser wrote: > >The Li'l Depressed Boy wrote: > > > >> Sorry, Mikey. > > > >Don't call me that > > > How 'bout Mikers, or MikeyMikeyFooFoo? > Uh... shut up. Really, if you hate each other THAT MUCH, keep it off the List. There are better things to read then your petty, worthless flame wars. -- Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* "Is everything normal now?" "And crawling on the "Well, he hasn't got planet's face... some religious mania, and he's called the Human Race. not running around in a Lost in time, and lost circle spouting Gilbert in space... and Sullivan, so I guess ...and meaning." he's normal." ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35C13D2E.F03A54DD@softhome.net> Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 22:42:38 -0500 From: melissa Subject: TMBG: hatch shell concert i went to the hatch shell concert today, it was really good! they played dr. worm 3 times! [twice during the show, once for sound check],they said they needed the parctice.... and the rest of the standard concert songs, with istanbul for an encore. as usual, flans was really nice, and stayed until everyone got an autograph. less people than last year, and the person i was standing next to [front row] was a jerk and she kept giving me dirty looks for no reason. if any of you are the person who was staning next to the girl with pink hair, youre not very nice. :P the bad part was that i was running around with friends a couple hours before the concert and i tripped and sprained my ankle. funny how you dont notice stuff like that when your really really excited....i was jumpin around and dancing anyway, but when i got home my ankles was killing me! its all swollen and painful, but worth it! and i still have another concert to go to tommorrow [MF]. anyway, that was my concert experiance, im just glad it didnt rain, did anyone else go? anybody see me? hint: i had pink hair. glad to talk about tmbg on this list melissa ------------------------------ Message-ID: <002b01bdbc39$bf37b9e0$5ec708d1@idiotnot.visi.net> From: "S. Bergeron" Subject: Re: TMBG: Why the Dr. Worm thing won't work Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 00:14:41 -0400 :radio is a funny thing. i wish i was program director. ;) of course, the first :thought is if it's not on the play list - they won't play it. here, ok, wber :(as i've spoken of too many times ) is a non-profit volunteer dj station. :yet, if you go off the playlist too much, you can lose your "job" there. :which is really stupid (anyone here remember shep? if i recall right that's :what happened to him)... :*however* if the requests flood in (no pun intended) they're "forced" to add :it to the playlist - well not *forced*, but they get the idea that's what :people wasnt to hear. eh? : :that's how (and don't slam me for bringing them up again...) Moxy Fruvous got :popular here... non-stop request. : :i mean, gosh, what's the worst that could happen if you keep requesting eh? Everything depends on how dip-shitty the PD is. It also depends a lot on the format. You've got a snowball's chance in hell of getting Dr. Worm played on a top 40 station. It ain't gonna happen. Now you request a Shitbox 20 song, it'll be on the air before the next break. It also depends a lot on the professionalism of the jocks. It's really a bell-curve. Low-end (public radio, college, high school stations) will play whatever. Many of these places don't even have a "play-list". Standard commercial (mix stations, adult contemp, jazz) have song guidelines. When I was doing some temp work at a classic rock station, the playlist read sort of like this: Acceptable Bands: Rolling Stones Aerosmith Beatles Jethro Tull Steve Miller Band etc. etc. You can play requests if you've got 'em, assuming they fit the format. Barring requests, you play suggested songs from the playlist. Strict format (top 40, country, easy listening, classic rock) will have a playlist that reads sort of as follows: Shitbox 20--"The Real World" Hanson--"Mmm Bop" Spice Girls--"Wannabe" Puff Daddy and the Family--"Mo Money, Mo Problems" Goo Goo Dolls--"Iris" Will Smith--"Men in Black" Shitbox 20--"The Real World" Then you get back to the lack of playlist in Country and all-request. Having operated in pretty much every format imaginable, the playlist can be really restrictive. The top 40 stations are the worst. You play exactly what's on the playlist, you read the cards. You're only there because you've got that wonderful top 40 voice. Folks, you're fighting a losing battle. PD's are the scum of the earth (even lower than radio salesmen and lawyers). Whatever the hell he decides the format is, the jocks have to go along. If they won't go along, they go somewhere else. (Like in Howard Stern's Private Parts when the station in Detroit went country) It's how the business works. Believe me, there is no band in the world I like more than They Might Be Giants, but they aren't going to get a hell of a lot of radio play. Perhaps it's better that way. We have the live shows where we can interact with the band. We don't have to try to identify the speck on the stage at the Virginia Beach Amphitheater (which Jimmy Buffet sold out in like thirteen minutes). I saw Ben Folds Five in a little po-dunk club in Hampton two years ago. I couldn't get tickets to their concert at the Abyss in March. TMBG's albums aren't all that difficult to find (unlike Mono Puff..grr...still haven't gotten IFTS). I believe that was the message Jamie Kitman was trying to convey in his manager's message. Don't be disheartened...enjoy what you've got. Jack Bergeron, idiotnot@visi.net bluedawg@tmbg.org "Someday, somebody else besides me will call me by my stage name."--Doctor Worm http://www.tmbg.org/~bluedawg/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980731044939.20403.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: TMBG: Dr. Worm on the radio Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 21:49:38 PDT Uh, why is it so damn iportant that put it on the radio??? If we do, it'll just be on th radio, and we could allways listen to our CD's. And another thing, how many of us are going to stand by our radios untill it FINALY plays. It's just gonna be ONE MORE song the DJ has to worry bout. Why don't they just do an up-all-night infomercial like those Beasty Boys did for their album, "Nasty's Back" (I think it was called)??? Josh "Comming up with good points that make him infamous" Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com http://profiles.yahoo.com/LeChuck__ LeChuck: "We are bound to one another." Guybrush: "Like dreadlocks?" LeChuck: "Yes, rather like that. But more like...brothers!" Guybrush: "Eh?" Lechuck: "I am your brother." Guybrush: "That's not true, that's impossible!" Lechuck: "Search your feelings, you know it to be true" Guybrush: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" -- Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980730165536.006bab10@cybnetonline.com> Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 11:55:36 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm on the radio At 09:49 PM 7/30/98 PDT, Josh Buckland wrote: >Uh, why is it so damn iportant that put it on the radio??? If we do, >it'll just be on th radio, and we could allways listen to our CD's. And >another thing, how many of us are going to stand by our radios untill it >FINALY plays. It's just gonna be ONE MORE song the DJ has to worry bout. >Why don't they just do an up-all-night infomercial like those Beasty >Boys did for their album, "Nasty's Back" (I think it was called)??? > Because Josh, we are fan's of the John's, and we would like to see this great band get the recognition they deserve, and the dollars. They Might Be Giants make music, to do well in the music industry, you must also do well on radio and teevee. LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 01:02:47 -0400 (EDT) From: "mike@journalx.com" Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG movie song casting Message-ID: Back in 1993, when I was in film school, I made a 24 minute film which contained the songs Debut/To Add To The Confusion by Art of Noise, Swing/Magneto/Massage by Yello, Post Cold War Politics by Fishbone, Sunshine Lollipops and Rainbows by Leslie Gore, and Mr. Klaw by They Might Be Giants. I had planned to use When It Rains It Snows but changed my mind at the last minute. Later I utilised the original version of Spy for a series of comic shorts and trailers. My last film, made in 1996, does not feature any TMBG songs (because of rights issues), but I do appear in the film wearing the Apollo 18 tour shirt. And of course the novel I wrote features TMBG lyrics as a preface for every chapter, and was written largely to a constantly playing John Henry. I feel that I would be compelled, given the freedom and funds to do so, to commission new music from TMBG for a movie project rather than to use existing songs, though I'm sure I could easily score a movie with their stellar catalog. MIKe Last movie seen: Saving Private Ryan Last CD purchased: Yazbek - Tock Last CD played: Tangerine Dream - Sorcerer Last Tango: In Paris ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980731052331.29595.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nicholas Wolf" Subject: TMBG: Commies, and a lack thereof Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 22:23:31 PDT More Christians than Communists? Are you nuts? China has over one billion commies, and I'm sure there are more hiding around the world. Signed in a very non communistic manner, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the state of New Mexico ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980731053018.9189.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Nicholas Wolf" Subject: NON TMBG: Communists, and Christians and Atheists (oh my) Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 22:30:17 PDT Ok ok ok, I misread the posting about the Christians as saying a /million/ and a half. Heh. Sorry about that. Please disregard that message. Please remember, though, that there are far more Muslims than any other religion, almost, if not more than, half the world. I, myself am an atheist, but I just thought I'd share that info. Maybe Mohammed should be #1? Signed, atheistically, Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the state of New Mexico ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 00:27:49 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm on the radio Message-ID: <19980731.002756.11142.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> >Because Josh, we are fan's of the John's, and we would like to see >this >great band get the recognition they deserve, and the dollars. They >Might Be >Giants make music, to do well in the music industry, you must also do >well >on radio and teevee. exactly... i think it's getting to the point where, if they *don't* start getting the money we all know they deserve they're gonna start doing other shtuff. I'm not saying that TMBG will be gone just different. (a la the TV show we heard about.). Which in a sense may be a bad thing... no more touring no more albums to look forward to every couple of years... i dunno, i fear change. which is also why i fear them getting extremely popular (which i honestly doubt will happen from our futile attempts to get Dr. Worm on the radio). take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html UPDATED! (marcy playground, lincoln, and mono puff) keep checkin' back for TMBG and brian dewan too! _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199807310638.CAA07499@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 01:38:01 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: TMBG: TMBG-vote, help! >see, i was surfing along the web one day, when i discovered the fact >that good ol john l. had gotten #9 and good ole flans was currently >number 13 on the century thing... and i wanted to do my part and >vote... BUT, stupid me figured i would do it some other time... and >now i can't for the life of me find it! this ALWAYS happens to me... >please, help me find it so i can vote... For anyone who needs this link, it can be found on my TMBG page at: Harf, Mitch "The world is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Support the Harf Project: All your questions answered, all your problems solved: ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199807310640.CAA07620@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 01:41:01 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: hatch shell concert At 10:42 PM 7/30/98 -0500, you wrote: >i went to the hatch shell concert today, it was really good! they played >dr. worm 3 times! [twice during the show, once for sound check],they >said they needed the parctice.... and the rest of the standard concert >songs, with istanbul for an encore. A likely story. I have but one question: So did they play Dr. Worm old-style, with lots of accordion, or like the studio version, with lots of horns? Harf, Mitch "The world is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Support the Harf Project: All your questions answered, all your problems solved: ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980731070304.21456.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "VoVat Quetzalcoatlus" Subject: Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm on the radio Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 00:03:03 PDT >Reply-To: tmbgirl@juno.com > >>Because Josh, we are fan's of the John's, and we would like to see >>this >>great band get the recognition they deserve, and the dollars. They >>Might Be >>Giants make music, to do well in the music industry, you must also do >>well >>on radio and teevee. > >exactly... i think it's getting to the point where, if they *don't* start >getting the money we all know they deserve they're gonna start doing >other shtuff. I'm not saying that TMBG will be gone just different. (a >la the TV show we heard about.). Which in a sense may be a bad thing... >no more touring no more albums to look forward to every couple of >years... Indeed. I'm sure that this would be just as terrible a tragedy for the rest of the TMBG fan community as it would be for me, but it might be helpful to John and John. They do have to make a living, you know. >i dunno, i fear change. which is also why i fear them getting extremely >popular (which i honestly doubt will happen from our futile attempts to >get Dr. Worm on the radio). Agreed on both counts. I suppose we can hope that the Johns also fear change, and that They will continue to make music, rather than move onto more risky (but possibly more profitable) ventures. -- Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "The puffin sipped at his herbal tea and sighed, 'You can't get the buttons these days.'" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980731070542.29637.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "VoVat Quetzalcoatlus" Subject: Re: TMBG: hatch shell concert Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 00:05:41 PDT >Reply-To: Mitchell Harding > >At 10:42 PM 7/30/98 -0500, you wrote: >>i went to the hatch shell concert today, it was really good! they played >>dr. worm 3 times! [twice during the show, once for sound check],they >>said they needed the parctice.... and the rest of the standard concert >>songs, with istanbul for an encore. > >A likely story. I have but one question: > >So did they play Dr. Worm old-style, with lots of accordion, or like the >studio version, with lots of horns? I would imagine that They wouldn't have used the horns, since They haven't used horns at most of Their recent concerts. Then again, I didn't attend the show, so I really couldn't tell you. -- Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "The puffin sipped at his herbal tea and sighed, 'You can't get the buttons these days.'" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980731071341.9148.rocketmail@send101.yahoomail.com> Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 00:13:41 -0700 (PDT) From: Malcolm MacTavish Subject: Re: NON TMBG: Communists, and Christians and Atheists (oh my) Nicholas Wolf wrote: > Please remember, though, that there are far more Muslims than > any other religion, almost, if not more than, half the world. I, myself > am an atheist, but I just thought I'd share that info. Thanks, but you're not even close to being right. Islam is generally recognized as the *second* largest religion--you might check the very interesting comprehensive index of religions and cults at watchman.org. The Islam FAQ (the relevant bit is at ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet-by-hierarchy/news/answers/islam-faq/part3) says that there are a billion Muslims. Needless to say, this is well short of "half the world," which very nearly six billion people. It is possible you have confused "largest religion" with "fastest-growing religion." Just thought I'd share that info. M. M'T. _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199807310738.DAA10560@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 02:39:05 -0500 From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: hatch shell concert >>So did they play Dr. Worm old-style, with lots of accordion, or like >>the studio version, with lots of horns? > >I would imagine that They wouldn't have used the horns, since They >haven't used horns at most of Their recent concerts. Then again, I >didn't attend the show, so I really couldn't tell you. That's just like you to imagine something like that. This is the exact reason we had to get a divorce, as we recall. Nathan, you'll never change, will you? You keep promising, but your promises are as worthless as your feeble protestations that you never slept with your secretary. You frankly disgust me and I'll thank you never to set foot in *my* house again, you child-abandoning, home-wrecking, wife-beating scoundrel! >"The puffin sipped at his herbal tea and sighed, 'You can't get the >buttons these days.'" You're a good man, Albert Brown! Harf, Mitch "The world is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Support the Harf Project: All your questions answered, all your problems solved: ------------------------------ From: ArwenAnaNg@aol.com Message-ID: <389c0aeb.35c1b93d@aol.com> Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 08:31:56 EDT Subject: NON-TMBG: German Music In a message dated 98-07-30 17:41:51 EDT, you write: << what about Kraftwerk? >> I have 3 words for you... THANK YOU! As much as I haven't had a lot of strong opinions to post about, I *do* believe Kraftwerk is a fine example of one of the best "things" (groups) to come out of Germany. Also, what do you think of Nitzer Ebb? Arwen "Fun, fun, fun on the Autobahn" AnaNg ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 08:59:02 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg- Concerts, bitches 'n' gripes, etc. Message-ID: <19980731.085904.4950.0.djMagma@juno.com> From: djmagma@juno.com (Davin Q. Hutchingstone) I made a post that I don't think made it onto the list... It said that Wizo was the best German band. They are punk, and rule. In fact, I think they are more influential to this century than my ass. I also wanted to say that I will be attending the Endfest TMBG concert. I will be the one in full effect, so you can't miss me. (I'll also be wearing a green Hook-Ups hat, the STD tour shirt with the Music Self Made... on it, and some huge-ass raver pants, either jeans or REALLY phat khakkis.... blah blah.) Mysterio Gal, who I think is really cool, once asked if anyone liked videogame music. Well, i do. I would never buy a CD of it (since I already own the game...) I sometimes just turn on a game and blare it thru my 625 watt stereo.... it's cool. My favourites: Final Fantasy 1,2, and 7 Chrono Trigger Intro to Wild ARMS Etc. Another past post to bring up (Pllease don't shoot me!) About remixing... Some kid said he remixes stuff... I'm curious as to what equipment you use... I made a dance music version of the Indiana Jones theme by blending that record with the 4\4 beats of a great House record I have (House= techno, kind of) To do this I use 2 turntables and a mixer (not a microphone.) Turntables must have pitch control. Finally, a bitch... (aka a complaint) The digests are over 60k and must be truncated for me using fukkin Juno. This is a pain. I tried opening it up thru Works and Notepad, but damn, that's tough. I guess I had better stop writing then! It's people like me who clutter this list with useless garbage! Oh wait... I'M the only person who employs the "Useless Garbage" tactic. -Dave "Subpoena" Hutch aka Dave "Sex Scandal" Hutch aka Dave "Monica" Hutch aka Dave " Just Shoot Me!" Hutch : ) (Ignore the following Juno shameless plug...) _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35C18D33.6F371D5A@tmbg.org> Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 09:24:05 +0000 From: "Chris \"Feeny\" Campbell" Subject: Re: TMBG: hatch shell concert 3 times! {Dr. Worm} Lots of horns! Lots of accordion! Not Studio, Not Old, New Improved LIVE version! :-) The concert KICKED! We(my sis and me) got 8 autographs from EACH john, the whole concert on video, did the conga line with 20,000 people, and the best part was the moshing, no ummmm they had t-shirts, noooo, It was Free! :-) Anyone who lives remotely near boston should have gone, or you missed a hell of a concert! even I had a 3 hour ride from Maine! You got to meet the Johns in person!!! now John Linnell has my E-mail addy!!!!! (he said he would e-mail me!!!) Both john were in high spirits, even the crew! I'll send a set list to the list after I get a chance to watch it myself. So now yer thinkin' "Gee I wish I could have a copy of Feeny's awesome video of the concert" "He used a tripod" "the tape came out good and clear" "no one knocked over the camera when they did the conga line" "I WANNA COPY!!!!" Well, I'm dubbing it for Russ and his video bootleg collection and you best bet is to get it from him. -Chris "Who is still in awe from meeting the johns!!!" Mitchell Harding wrote: > At 10:42 PM 7/30/98 -0500, you wrote: > >i went to the hatch shell concert today, it was really good! they played > >dr. worm 3 times! [twice during the show, once for sound check],they > >said they needed the parctice.... and the rest of the standard concert > >songs, with istanbul for an encore. > > A likely story. I have but one question: > > So did they play Dr. Worm old-style, with lots of accordion, or like the > studio version, with lots of horns? > > Harf, > Mitch > "The world is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow > sharper." > > Support the Harf Project: > All your questions answered, all your problems solved: > ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 09:47:30 -0500 (CWT) From: Robin Subject: Re: TMBG: Commies, and a lack thereof Message-ID: ok, just because a person lives in a communist country does not mean that they are communist. And if you would care to check, there are not that many communists in China--just the people in charge. Robin On Thu, 30 Jul 1998, Nicholas Wolf wrote: > More Christians than Communists? Are you nuts? China has over one > billion commies, and I'm sure there are more hiding around the world. > Signed in a very non communistic manner, > Nick Wolf, TMBG Ambassador to the state of New Mexico > > ______________________________________________________ > Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <009001bdbc92$f173ff00$e5061ecf@default> From: "Green Jello" Subject: Re: TMBG: Why the Dr. Worm thing won't work Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 10:53:12 -0400 >> Dude, I'm sorry but I don't get to pick any of the music. I have to >>play off a list and unfortunately, the music director and the program >>director didn't add the new They Might Be Giants. > This is EXACTLY why I put shark Shark@She100.com down, b/c he IS the the PD at the station. If ANYONE can get it on... then he can. That's why I put his name in there... Brother John Green Jello ------------------------------ From: TerryTMBG@aol.com Message-ID: <3ab54e5d.35c1dc87@aol.com> Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 11:02:30 EDT Subject: TMBG: hatch shell 98!!!! The hatch shell show was kickin'!!! I agree with everyone else who said it was awesome, because it was! I didn't stay around to meet the Johns because, well, I wanted to go home. I took a train, bus, and car to get there. long ride back. actual substance: 1. during soundcheck, they played "Doctor Worm" as a four-piece, then during the concert they played it with our good friends the Velcro Horns. 2. after they played "She's Actual Size" in soundcheck (I love the live version of that :) John F. said, "any requests?" and I shouted out "ON THE DRAG!" And he said, "I don't think Dan knows 'On The Drag.'" So I shout out "THEY GOT LOST!" (by this time I was annoying everyone around me... sorry :) and they played it!!!!! Some of the instruments weren't properly miked or something like that, and John F. got ticked at the sound guys. It was funny. Of course, the coolest part was that they didn't play it during the show, so if I hadn't had such a loud and obtrusive voice I wouldn't have heard it. And Linnell's keyboard break was *very* impressive. 3. Dan Hickey has gray hair. To the best of my knowledge, he didn't last year. There are many other fun anecdotes, but mostly nit-picking. Seriously, though, get the bootleg video! (I was about four or five people to the left of that cameraman... nice clear view except for the security guards.) anyway, sorry for the long post, but it kicked ass! I love TMBG! -Terry- ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <4bc67517.35c1e5d1@aol.com> Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 11:42:08 EDT Subject: TMBG: (non) video game music In a message dated 7/31/98 9:12:40 AM, djmagma@juno.com wrote: > >Mysterio Gal, who I think is really cool, once asked if >anyone liked videogame music. >Well, i do. I would never buy a CD of it >(since I already own the game...) >I sometimes just turn on a game and blare >it thru my 625 watt stereo.... it's cool. >My favourites: >Final Fantasy 1,2, and 7 >Chrono Trigger >Intro to Wild ARMS >Etc. I've got this nifty cd, apparently it's a soundtrack to a sony playstation game (see, ok, i won a cd from a radio station, and they threw a bunch of various promo crap in there, and there were a *bunch* of stickers for this cd, with the band names on it so i decided to get it:))... "Wipeout XL".. it has orbital, daft punk, underworld, future sound of london, etc. but i also have an affection for real video-gamey music too... :) when i was about... 10 or 11, i'd put something like tetris in and just listen to it. i always knew i was kinda strange.. ;) barenaked ladies' "some fantastic" reminds me of mario brothers' music ... i used to have this great game back on our old commodore 64 (mmm, i sometimes miss the 80's ... ;)) where you'd just move the joystick around and it'd make music directed by the movements.... "Boat of Car" is great. sarah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980731085341.006a6234@pop.ben2.ucla.edu> Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 08:53:41 -0700 From: J Chen Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Commies >Message-ID: <19980730224738.13147.rocketmail@send1d.yahoomail.com> >Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 15:47:38 -0700 (PDT) >From: Malcolm MacTavish >Subject: Non-TMBG: Commies M.M'T wrote: >> J Kuemmerle wrote: >> > >> > On Thu, 30 Jul 1998, Malcolm MacTavish wrote: >> > >> > > Errmmm.....no there aren't. There are at least a billion and a >half >> > > professed Christians in the world, including more than 800 million >> > > Roman Catholics. If there are that many Communists left, they must >> be >> > > hiding out on Mars. >> > >> > i have two words for you: china. Um, Jim, isn't that one word? :-) Responds M.M'T: >Well, we can either define everybody living in a Communist country as >"Communist", which would be silly and wouldn't put you over a billion >and a half anyway, or we can just count people who actually believe in >Communism, of which there can't be more than a few hundred million >even in China. Either way, China doesn't change the point, even if you >do still consider it Communistic in character (and I do). Regardless of how many people are in China, I think a valid point is made in determining that not everyone in China is a Communist. I think Communists are only the ones in power... the common people don't particularly like it, and the young people definitely don't, from what I see in my limited perspective. Overshadowing this all, however, may be Islam. Aren't there more Muslims than any other category of religious followers in the world? I once thought I heard this. That would make Mohammed the most influential person of the century, who wasn't born in this century (if we are using the criterion of religion as influence). Yours to chew on, --LVJeff ==========================_______________________________________... . . . | from LVJeff | Kerim Bey: "But I am already in your debt." | alecson@ucla.edu | James Bond: "How can a friend be in debt?" | ICQ# 10906249 | ========================== - From Russia with Love ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <1a9a9b05.35c1e8be@aol.com> Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 11:54:37 EDT Subject: Re: Re: TMBG: hatch shell concert In a message dated 7/31/98 9:24:19 AM, you wrote: > 8 autographs from EACH john, the whole *16* autographs? 1) why 2) how long did that take 3) why 4) weren't they annoyed? 5) i'm somewhat inclined to think this was a typo... 6) why? >You got to meet the Johns in person!!! well, that's like saying "you've got to meet the barenaked ladies".. (they always stick around for autochraphs and stuff)... at 2 TMBG shows I was at, neither of them came out; and at the 3rd, flans did but for a really short time. as soon as i saw him, he was hurrying up a signature and kinda walking away... have they changed their minds about the fan thing? linnell mostly, gosh.. >now John Linnell has my E-mail addy!!!!! (he said he would e-mail me!!!) Okay, *this* i don't *really* buy.. i might believe it more, but you were the one who "talked to Flans" on IRC. they don't even want to read their newsgroup, why would they - esp. linnell - want to ...aw, you know, screw it. i'm gonna get yelled at for this. :P ~sarah ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <806242be.35c1ea24@aol.com> Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 12:00:35 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: hatch shell 98!!!! >3. Dan Hickey has gray hair. To the best of my knowledge, he didn't last >year. *yes*! ...sorry 'bout *another* post guys , but this is the first i've heard anyone but me say this... in november his hair was brown and kinda in his eyes, and then in april it was really short and gray... i kinda thought i was just crazy, glad to see someone else noticed it. ^_^ sarah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35C1BCB8.BEEFE52A@tmbg.org> Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 12:46:54 +0000 From: "Chris \"Feeny\" Campbell" Subject: Re: TMBG: hatch shell concert KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: > In a message dated 7/31/98 9:24:19 AM, you wrote: > > > 8 autographs from EACH john, the whole > > *16* autographs? 1) why 2) how long did that take 3) why 4) weren't they > annoyed? 5) i'm somewhat inclined to think this was a typo... 6) why? > 15, john F signed IFTS. 2= maybe 2 3 min. 4= Very happy to do it! 5= no1,3,6= There weren't many people in line, we just put stuff on the table (FS, IFTS, JH, A18 (just the liner notes on the albums), 2 T-shirts, tmbg Cataloge, 2 STD's that we just HAD to buy (they'll mail um to ya on the 11th, they just gave you the liner notes). > >You got to meet the Johns in person!!! > > well, that's like saying "you've got to meet the barenaked ladies".. (they > always stick around for autochraphs and stuff)... at 2 TMBG shows I was at, > neither of them came out; and at the 3rd, flans did but for a really short > time. as soon as i saw him, he was hurrying up a signature and kinda walking > away... > have they changed their minds about the fan thing? linnell mostly, gosh.. > > >now John Linnell has my E-mail addy!!!!! (he said he would e-mail me!!!) > > Okay, *this* i don't *really* buy.. i might believe it more, but you were the > one who "talked to Flans" on IRC. they don't even want to read their > newsgroup, why would they - esp. linnell - want to ...aw, you know, screw it. > i'm gonna get yelled at for this. :P > I asked linnel "Do you want my E-mail address?" "Sure, I'll e-mail you when I get a chance. What is it?" "F E E N Y @ T M B G . O R G" "Thanks" "Thank you sooo much john!" "no problem" and by that time we had everything autographed. > ~sarah -- -Chris ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980731051846.006a741c@cybnetonline.com> Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 00:18:46 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Non-TMBG: Red Commies > Regardless of how many people are in China, I think a valid point is >made in determining that not everyone in China is a Communist. I think >Communists are only the ones in power... the common people don't >particularly like it, and the young people definitely don't, from what I >see in my limited perspective. > Think of it this way, (I started this, so I should point it out) let's look at what christianity has did this century. No let's take a look at what communism has did this century. Of course all residents of China are not communists, but wouldn't you say they are affected by it, a whole lot. Now let's take a look at the ex-communist countries, those people were greatly affected by communism. Now let's look at America, remember a couple of guys named MacCarthy and Wertham? Between the two of them, they blacklisted quite a few people, got people run out of the country, made comicbooks get censored, all in the name of Anti-Communism. So when you say christianity (Jesus) has affected more people than Communism (Karl Marx), you are greatly mistaken. Remember folks this is the entire century, not just today. BTW: I'm glad to see a good off-topic debate, this is why I joined the list. LDB, who gets wierd looks while reading the communist manifesto in school. -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980731173532.6193.rocketmail@send101.yahoomail.com> Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 10:35:32 -0700 (PDT) From: Malcolm MacTavish Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Islam J Chen wrote: > Overshadowing this all, however, may be Islam. Aren't there more > Muslims than any other category of religious followers in the world? I > once thought I heard this. That would make Mohammed the most influential > person of the century, who wasn't born in this century (if we are using the > criterion of religion as influence). <*head slap*> Since you get the digest, Jeff, I trust you haven't yet seen my previous post on this issue. Islam is *not* the world's largest religion. There are almost two Christians for every Muslim; in fact, there are slightly more Roman Catholics than there are Muslims. Just to make sure there are no further misunderstandings, let me cite the figures from the 1995 Encyclopedia Britannica yearbook: Christians (all) 1,900,174,000 incl. Roman Catholics: 1,058,069,000 Muslims 1,033,453,000 Hindus 764,000,000 Buddhists 338,621,000 Nonreligious/atheist 1,163,189,000 M. M'T. _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980731104403.006a3364@pop.ben2.ucla.edu> Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 10:44:03 -0700 From: J Chen Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Red Commies At 12:18 AM 7/31/98 -0500, The Li'l Depressed Boy wrote: >Think of it this way, (I started this, so I should point it out) let's look >at what christianity has did this century. No let's take a look at what >communism has did this century. Of course all residents of China are not >communists, but wouldn't you say they are affected by it, a whole lot. Now >let's take a look at the ex-communist countries, those people were greatly >affected by communism. Now let's look at America, remember a couple of guys >named MacCarthy and Wertham? Between the two of them, they blacklisted >quite a few people, got people run out of the country, made comicbooks get >censored, all in the name of Anti-Communism. So when you say christianity >(Jesus) has affected more people than Communism (Karl Marx), you are greatly >mistaken. Remember folks this is the entire century, not just today. Well, for the record, I wasn't defending the notion that there are more Christians than Communists, nor was I saying Jesus affected more people than Communism. I really haven't thought about it much, one way or the other. I was just saying that it probably is too quick to say that all people in China are Communists. Affected by Communism? Perhaps, and I have nothing wrong with that. Personally, I've been watching all these debates on the sidelines, and on this one I haven't really rooted for one side or the other. But I still didn't want to discount the Muslims (and Islam _has_ played a big part in creating history this century), and that was the gist of it. --LVJeff, who isn't Christian, Communist, or Muslim ==========================_______________________________________... . . . | from LVJeff | Kerim Bey: "But I am already in your debt." | alecson@ucla.edu | James Bond: "How can a friend be in debt?" | ICQ# 10906249 | ========================== - From Russia with Love ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980731061048.006c90d4@cybnetonline.com> Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 01:10:48 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Red Commies and Islam To add to my last post: Also, let's look at christianity, how many *new* christians have there been this century, and those born into christianity don't count, they are replacing others. Islam being the fastest growing religion, probably means that Mohamid was more influencial than christianity. LDB, who can be smart, he just don't want to. -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199807311849.OAA22636@daisy.snet.net> From: "dext182" Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 14:47:14 +0000 Subject: TMBG: that movie thingy ok. i was thinking, that for MY movie, i'd make one about a kid named Aldo. a real, stereotypical dorky geek type of guy. the opening scene would show him walking down the street like he's the big shit with S-E-X-X-Y playing : ) hahaha. and my whole movie would be stupid as hell, BUT it would really funny because every song would be the total opposite of what he's doing. like, if he's driving through a deserted place, like maybe the desert or something, i'd play New York City. and if he were to take a plane to china, i'd play Istanbul. man. it'd be great. if he met the evil witch, She's an Angel would accompany the scene. man. i'm going to do this. i really am. i just have to find someone willing to play Aldo... ~jen~ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 15:49:54 -0400 (EDT) From: Eric Webber Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Commies Message-ID: On Fri, 31 Jul 1998, J Chen wrote: > Overshadowing this all, however, may be Islam. Aren't there more > Muslims than any other category of religious followers in the world? I > once thought I heard this. That would make Mohammed the most influential > person of the century, who wasn't born in this century (if we are using the > criterion of religion as influence). > I think everyone is missing the point here. The most influential person of _this_ century has got to be of _this_ century. It's not which person from all of history has had the most influence on this century, it's this century's most influential person. By the way, there are more Muslims than any other religion. Take it easy, Wubba --- Eric Webber Network Support Specialist Electronic Information Network webbere@einpgh.org ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 15:52:14 -0400 (EDT) From: Eric Webber Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Red Commies and Islam Message-ID: On Fri, 31 Jul 1998, The Li'l Depressed Boy wrote: > To add to my last post: > > Also, let's look at christianity, how many *new* christians have there been > this century, and those born into christianity don't count, they are > replacing others. Islam being the fastest growing religion, probably means > that Mohamid was more influencial than christianity. > Don't forget however that Islam owes a lot to Christianity, having been born 700 years later, just like every new religion steals much of it's mythos from those that came before it. Take it easy, Wubba --- Eric Webber Network Support Specialist Electronic Information Network webbere@einpgh.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980731184633.5174.rocketmail@send1d.yahoomail.com> Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 11:46:33 -0700 (PDT) From: Malcolm MacTavish Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Red Commies and Islam The Li'l Depressed Boy wrote: > > To add to my last post: > > Also, let's look at christianity, how many *new* christians have there been > this century, and those born into christianity don't count, they are > replacing others. Islam being the fastest growing religion, probably means > that Mohamid was more influencial than christianity. I'm sorry, but it's wrong to say that the Muslims have been particularly influential in world history this century just because they've been breeding rapidly. Islam still remains half as populous as Christendom and holds an infinitesimal fraction of the power of the nominally Christian nations. Islam had virtually no role in either the rise or fall of Communism, they were on the fringes of both world wars, and the Islamic contribution to this century's fantastic material and scientific advances has been close to zero. Where is the role of Islam as such in the important changes of this century? The enrichment of the middle classes and the disappearance of the proletariat as such; the development of the automobile, the personal computer, and the mass media; the secularization of Western thought...? What am I missing here? The Jews, of whom there are only about 20 million or so, have been a hundred times as influential in culture, war, art, science, or anything else you care to name. Freud alone has had more of an impact on civilization than any Muslim alive since the 16th century. Please, LDB, stick to cartoons. M.M'T. _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 13:58:58 -0500 From: The Pope Subject: Re: TMBG: that movie thingy >man. i'm going to do this. i really am. i just have to find someone >willing to play Aldo... I'll play Aldo. S E X X Y more than enough. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980731191853.28746.rocketmail@send1d.yahoomail.com> Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 12:18:53 -0700 (PDT) From: Malcolm MacTavish Subject: Non-TMBG: "There are more Muslims" Eric Webber wrote: > By the way, there are more Muslims than any other religion. I'm sorry: three people have now stated this "fact," which is completely incorrect, and it's giving me haemorrhoids. There are a billion Muslims. There are nearly two billion Christians. Two billion is more than one billion. Please get it right before you post "facts" to the list. M. M'T. _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #9-1 ****************************