Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #9-11 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 9, Number 11 Tuesday, 11 August 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: Non: TMBG- MIKE LEFFELL SIGHTING!!! Re: TMBG: Hello John, Hello John (RE:TMBG list mention by...) Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #9-8 (non-tmbg) TMBG:Hatch Shell '98 Video TMBG: Music Self Played Picture TMBG: Re: TMBG list mention by...) TMBG: Rolling Stone article TMBG: Mono Puff Tour Dates Re: TMBG: Rolling Stone article TMBG: STD's for me Re: TMBG: STD's for me TMBG: Tour Dates Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 03:43:20 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Re: Non: TMBG- MIKE LEFFELL SIGHTING!!! Message-ID: <19980810.034829.4718.1.djMagma@juno.com> From: djmagma@juno.com (Davin Q. Hutchingstone) I was stumbling across a field late last night, when all of a sudden I saw a bright object in the sky, hauling ass in my direction. Whoomp!!! It was Mike Leffel in a Millennium Falcon! He must have been building it in his garage! (He was probably too busy to post.) Then a little while later was arrested for public intoxication. ** Anyway, I think it was him... or maybe it was Crocadile Dundee... I'm not sure. -Dave ** This is not true. __________________________________________ "Feel the strength of my two-ply!" - Mortimer Kahn, as a roll of toilet paper. _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980810143105.9405.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "VoVat Quetzalcoatlus" Subject: Re: TMBG: Hello John, Hello John (RE:TMBG list mention by...) Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 07:31:04 PDT >Reply-To: Bongo > For all of you who are (somehow) certain TMBG never read this list ask yourself, if >Moxy Fruvous read *their* list, how big of a jump is it to assume that John and John at >least occasionally read theirs. Personally, I'd say it's a pretty big jump. -- Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "The puffin sipped at his herbal tea and sighed, 'You can't get the buttons these days.'" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 09:32:39 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #9-8 (non-tmbg) Message-ID: On Sat, 8 Aug 1998, Kathy Hardiman wrote: > getting odder by the minute...... > ----kathy---- and now you're even odder... and now you're even odder... --jim kuemmerle, who just couldn't resist... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ no willpower whatsoever, i swear... ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35CEE547.87F7F3C4@hotmail.com> Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 12:19:20 +0000 From: "Chris \"Feeny\" Campbell" Subject: TMBG:Hatch Shell '98 Video Some people wanted the Hatch Shell video from late July of this year, It has a GREAT set list, and we have close-ups of the johns signing autographs(on video). I've lost the names and addresses of the people requesting it (Thanks a lot for deletin' all my messages dad!!!) So, if YOU wan't a copy e-mail me and I'll go out and get the tapes. The cost will be exatcly $4.50 (3.00 shipping, 1.50 HIGH Quality studio grade video tape). Donations for my effort are EXTREAMLY welcome! Only limited quantities so RESERVE YOUR COPY TODAY!!! Trading: I will trade 2 audio bootlegs for a Video and 1 for an "A, A+" audio recording of the show. Checks payible to: Chris Campbell. Good deal! -They Might Be Giants Maine-iac Chris Feeny Campbell ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Music Self Played Picture Message-ID: <19980810.153258.11615.0.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 15:34:08 EDT Okay, for anyone who wants a copy of this picture, I have found a way to convert it to other formats. Send me your e-mail address if you want one. Derek "Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age" _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 15:42:48 -0600 Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG list mention by...) Message-ID: <19980810.154737.11110.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> >> For all of you who are (somehow) certain TMBG never read this >list >ask yourself, if >>Moxy Fruvous read *their* list, how big of a jump is it to assume >that >John and John at >>least occasionally read theirs. > >Personally, I'd say it's a pretty big jump. especially when you think of the fact that moxy fruvous seem to like their fans (ie they won't run away at the end of a concert to avoid talking to any fans... a la TMBG). take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980810223529.006a5960@130.127.28.14> Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 22:35:29 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Rolling Stone article Hey, here's a cool Rolling Stone article... -Adam The Damage Done They might be more wired than ever. "People ask us where we get ideas for our songs," explains They Might Be Giants' singer/guitarist John Flansburgh. "And I think they're pretty much categorically at the bottom of a cup of coffee." No surprise, then, to find him sipping away at a cup of joe in one of New York City's oldest cafe/pastry shops -- De Roberti's on First Avenue. He's been coming here since the band first formed in the early Eighties, often to explain to journalists exactly what's going on in the quirky, unpredictable minds of the Giants. "[Bandmate] John [Linnell] and I have discussed on a number of occasions how drinking coffee was the big shift in our lives," says Flansburgh. "It created the energy ... sad to say it, but I don't think either of us has written a song in this decade without being under the affects of coffee." (Flansburgh takes his light without sugar; Linnell takes it black with sugar.) Together, they are the yin and yang of They Might Be Giants -- a band that's released nearly twenty albums and EPs since their 1985 self-titled debut. Now they're geared to promote their first live CD, Severe Tire Damage, which combines unusual live versions of their "hits" with a few new studio-produced songs. But it takes more than coffee to get a project like this off the ground. Flansburgh explains: "We did a radio special last year ... and we had been on the road for a month. We basically got a day off and then a day to do this radio show. We had tried to record live shows before, but they're always the worst recordings possible. That day, the band was in good form, the sound was good, the show in the studio was kind of controlled, and we were all kind of psyched about being in a real studio. After the recording, it was only then that we thought we could actually put out a live record." Flansburgh is keen to note that this isn't just a greatest hits live album. "We tried to find the songs that have really evolved," he says. "It's more about the songs that have something to offer in live form that they don't have [in a studio]. Take a song like 'She's Actual Size.' The album version is really timid compared to this, which is like 'we are the entertainers, hear us roar,' over-the-top thing. It's embarrassingly showy, but this is the perfect vehicle of that kind of thing. We drew on that kind of material, things that have improvisational stuff or big spotlight moments." Fans will recognize plenty of familiar song titles like "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)" and "Ana Ng," but may be surprised to hear how raucous the Giants get onstage. That said, the standout track (and potential hit single) is the studio-produced, thoroughly infectious "Dr. Worm," for which Flansburgh just finished directing a video. "I've been listening to it every day for ten hours a day," he says. "If you must listen to one song 40,000 times this year, let it be 'Dr. Worm' by They Might Be Giants." In the event that repeated listening isn't enough, the band's website (www.tmbg.com), provides a comprehensive and dutifully absurd homage to the band. Not surprisingly, the internet and TMBG go together like ones and zeros: a People online survey in June found Linnell to be "the ninth most beautiful person." Giants fans voted with their mouse-clicks again when they made Flansburgh a candidate for "Person of the Century" in a recent Time Magazine online poll. Next month, the band is debuting its "dial- a-song" service on the web. Currently, fans can call the Giants' Brooklyn- based telephone line (718-387-6962) and hear thirty "defective" songs that never made it onto record. Once that's completed, the band hopes to post the "Dr. Worm" video online. "I was thinking maybe it should be on its own dedicated Web site," says Flansburgh. "But I'm not really online, so I don't know how people use this stuff." All this plus outside projects: Linnell has his own solo EPs and guest slots (he's recorded with the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion and Frank Black) while Flansburgh just released his second full-length Mono Puff CD. How do they do keep so busy? It's all in the beans. JAMES OLIVER CURY -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 23:12:48 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19980810230316.205f9b30@mail.connection.com> From: "The Famous Mr. Klaw" Subject: TMBG: Mono Puff Tour Dates Show them that we care. Catch a show or two... August 12, 1998 Acme Underground 9 Great Jones Street (bet. B'way and Lafayette) New York, NY 212 677-6963 August 13, 1998 Pontiac Grill Philadelphia, PA 304 South Street, (215) 925-4053 Mono Puff starts at 10:30pm (doors are 8:30pm) 21 and over August 15, 1998 T.T. The Bear Cambridge, MA August 18, 1998 Central Park Band Shell New York, NY August 19, 1998 Acme Underground 9 Great Jones Street (bet. B'way and Lafayette) New York, NY 212 677-6963 August 26, 1998 Acme Underground 9 Great Jones Street (bet. B'way and Lafayette) New York, NY 212 677-6963 ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 22:55:08 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Rolling Stone article Message-ID: <19980810.234259.5046.1.gray42@juno.com> Hey Adam, Are there any promotional pictures along with this article to make it worth buying the magazine? And since I'd like to check it out myself, how new is the issue? Who's on the cover, ya know, important details like that? Mysterio Gal (who's convinced that she must collect more magazine clippings of the Johns) "I'm Dave Kendal." "I'm John Kendall..." "And I'm MC Search!" --Dave, John &John on 120 min. ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 23:42:40 -0400 Subject: TMBG: STD's for me Message-ID: <19980810.234259.5046.2.gray42@juno.com> Hey Sports Fans (gotta love them Giants eh') Well today was a very fullfilling day for me. I came home after a dream about spagetti whilst asleep on my friend's couch, watched my favorite Tim Burton movie "Edward ScissorHands", and checked my mail, write after I got a day-early call from my beloved local indie store. He said he had STD, the album I ordered. Since he was about to close in a half hour, and since my parents didn't usually get home till late, I was sure I would have to wait till Friday to get my CD. But, as luck would have it, my mom came home 5 minutes after I received the "holy" call. And you guessed it... I got my CD. Since my B-day occurs this month, I got it for free. And the guy took a couple bucks off of $16.95, just cause he's a real nice Indie store casheir :D Well so far I've listened to the CD (3) times in one night... what does this obviously tell you?... I think I've heard it enough times on shuffle to give a good review. ************************************************************************WARNING, LENGTHY REVIEW, AND PLENTY OF MEMORIES If you don't want the CD spoiled for you, I highly suggest you delete/ scroll past this post, same goes if you don't like long posts about oppinions*********************************************************** Doctor Worm --> I must say I was genuinely suprised with this track, and now fully understand why just about everyone on the list was making such a big deal about it. I must admit my memories of it from the concert were'nt so great. I pretty much ignored it when they were playing it on stage, because, well, let's just say I was thinking about the opposite sex a little too much, along with how much I truly loved jumping up and down. I must say, the first time I hear a song, I don't hear it very well. It's a darn good thing that TMBG grows on me so darn well by the second listen. STD Theme --> Very Cute :) They Got Lost --> Heck, I was screaming with joy and laughter the first time I heard this song, why should it change now? WDTSS (TSIAMOIG) --> Rockin' Dance versions rule, just made me want to hop on the spot ;D Birdhouse In Your Soul --> ditto... Note: This has always been my altime favorite TMBG song She's An Angel --> fantastic... It reminds me of the comment mygood friend made at the last concert we attended, he was dissapointed that they didn't include the song in their set list, well this should make him happy, it's his all time favorite song. XTC vs. Adam Ant --> Yeah I enjoyed it, not my favorite tho' (They should've used Pet Name *stick stick*) Istanbul --> ... um I guess I should go back and listen to he track, memories of this are getting mixed up with memories of personal concert experiences and the vidio Bootleg vol. 1 (btw Great Job Russ! You The Man!) Ana Ng --> Interesting, the guitar instead of the female voice, very interesting. First Kiss --> First time I heardthis song, the more I listen, the more I like... Oh yeah, the song's lyrics also made me feel very good about myself, thanx fer the self esteem boost John :P Spider --> ROFL (as usual) Particle Man --> I don't care if they play this WAY too much, I'll ALWAYS love this song She's Actual Size --> It was like a trip to the 20's, I love that jazzy beat. S-E-X-X-Y --> I like this better than the studio version for some sort of unexplained reason Meet James Ensor --> :) Till My Head Falls Off --> I was immersed in flashbacks of Viva Variety, especially the mweeehhhrr bits About Me --> Weird (in a good way mind you) Hidden Tracks --> Very Funny, the one with the chanting gave me some much appreciated concert flashbacks. Over all --> I laughed, I cried, I was inspired, and addicted. I'm just a nuts mysterious girl who appreciates another great TMBG CD to collect, it really brought some old magic back (sorta like hearing a song for the first time all over again) "Ob--se--ssion Here I Come, Right Back Where I Started From... Yee Ha" j/k Mysterio Gal (who's been infected by STDs because of the Indie Guy *hyuk*) "I'm Dave Kendal." "I'm John Kendall..." "And I'm MC Search!" --Dave, John &John on 120 min. ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 22:10:25 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: STD's for me Message-ID: <19980810.221031.11110.5.TMBgirl@juno.com> hEY HEy! >Meet James Ensor --> :) so... was it recorded on the floor of some hotel room or was the DJ just being a dumbass? >Over all --> I laughed, I cried, I was inspired, and addicted. heh... that's how i felt after i listened to my first bootleg... maybe this release was a good thing for Them after all :) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html ------------------------------ From: SuperD149@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 01:05:49 EDT Subject: TMBG: Tour Dates Could someone please E-mail me the current tour dates?? Thanks, David ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #9-11 *****************************