Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #9-14 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 9, Number 14 Friday, 14 August 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: how do i love STD? let me count the ways... TMBG: Re: The mysterious Zak Re: TMBG: a bootleg collector's opinion... Semi-TMBG:STD From Tower Records Semi-TMBG:STD From Tower Records TMBG: Re: TMBG-ish: CD Now -- NOT! Re: TMBG: Nathan's Review of "Severe Tire Damage" Re: Semi-TMBG:STD From Tower Records Re: TMBG: Nathan's Review of "Severe Tire Damage" Re: Semi-TMBG:STD From Tower Records TMBG: Singles TMBG:Help me in Canada!! TMBG: Nice 'n' Clean TMBG:Help me in Canada!! -Reply TMBG: New Info Club ! Re: TMBG: Singles TMBG: Non-Tmbg: Soul Coughing TMBG: Another Bootleg collectors take on STD TMBG: STD Random Musings TMBG: XTC vs. Adam Ant & Thanks... Re: TMBG:Help me in Canada!! -Reply TMBG: STD Thoughts.. Re: TMBG:Help me in Canada!! TMBG: STD Random Musings / istanbul Re: TMBG: STD Thoughts.. Re: TMBG:Help me in Canada!! Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG-ish: CD Now -- NOT! TMBG: New info club! TMBG: STD Random Musings (amendment) Re: TMBG: STD Random Musings (amendment) TMBG: gray42: vidio bootleg info TMBG: TMBG-ish - CD Now STD Bummer TMBG: Man... STD musing TMBG: more musing Re: TMBG: Man... STD musing Re: TMBG: STD Random Musings (amendment) Re: TMBG: a bootleg collector's opinion... Re: TMBG: STD Random Musings (amendment) TMBG: pages to check out Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 23:26:04 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: how do i love STD? let me count the ways... Message-ID: when reading the following, keep in mind that i've never seen 'em live... not *yet*, at least... (1) "AARGH! Istanbul!" "Istanbul!" (2) the a cappella portion of Dr. Worm, particularly the way the background instruments are still humming for a couple of measures. that would have been soooo easy for them to have edited out in the studio, but they left it in and i absolutely love that. i really think that adds so much. (3) john linnell's vocals on birdhouse have such drive to them. imho, one of the strongest vocal performances of his... (4) the std theme, joining the ranks of siftin, space suit, etc. as my favorite of all instrumental rock i've heard come out of the last two decades. (5) "spi-DAAAAAA-aaaaaah..." (6) jim o' connor was born to play the intro to istanbul. this, the STD theme, and the POTA tracks leave no doubt in my mind that Their jazz sensibilities are anything but lacking... (7) the zydeco element was exactly what i've been missing in particle man. great solo, too! who needs rabbi vole? (8) "meet. james. en. sor. dowrn dowrndo dowrndo dowrn dowrndo dowrndo..." (9) "this song is dedicated to my one true love: the ladies..." plenty more, but i'm tired and have to go now. --jim kuemmerle, gooooooooooooooooooooooooo bye-bye!... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ p.s. -- i even liked the live version of XTCVAA!... ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980813053720.10691.rocketmail@send102.yahoomail.com> Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 22:37:20 -0700 (PDT) From: Malcolm MacTavish Subject: TMBG: Re: The mysterious Zak Someone asked: > >#2 who's zak alford? And V.V.Q. correctly answered: > A studio drummer, maybe? Now don't quote me on this, but if I recall correctly, Zak Alford is the dreadlocked black gent playing drums in the video for the B-52's "Love Shack." I believe Mr. Alford, a session drummer, sat in with the band after Keith Strickland switched to the guitar. I do know for a fact he's played on a lot of really crappy records, including Billy Joel's "River of Dreams" and solo albums by Susanna Hoffs (the Bangles' lead singer) and Patti Scialfa (Mrs. Bruce Springsteen). He also played on David Bowie's _Earthling_ and he's worked with Pura Fe. M. M'T. _________________________________________________________ DO YOU YAHOO!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 23:51:55 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: a bootleg collector's opinion... Message-ID: <19980813.002202.16062.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> >On Wed, 12 Aug 1998 Lawrence P Solomon writes: <> wow... i agreed with *everything* you said... how often does that happen?! :) now... onto totally unrelated stuff... SOUL COUGHING INFO: anyways... to all that requested i send them the new soul coughing song "circles"... there were so many of you i've decided to put it up on my web page instead... i'll let you know when it's there... TO ALL SK-UNK FANS: i just got back from the homegrown, MxPx, Blink 182 show and let me say that it was a super fun show... i love homegrown (this was about the 5th time i've seen 'em). and anyways... who can't dig a bunch of guys covering 'barbie girl'? (my friend went home with them... who knows what they're doing right now... hey this is the same chick i was telling you guys about today that loves the way linnell says "you" in snail shell).. anyways... the opening band was called "wade" i think they're from sweden... they're really cool guys and they rock... check 'em out (or their album "odd man out") if you get the chance. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35D2A62D.F65DF5F4@hotmail.com> Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 08:39:11 +0000 From: "Chris \"Feeny\" Campbell" Subject: Semi-TMBG:STD From Tower Records Back at the Hatch shell concert, I ordered STD, they(tower Records) gave me the liner notes(to have signed) and said they would mail it to me when it came out. Anyone do this? Anyone get it yet? Oh lord won't ya buy me a new STD, been waitin' for delivery each day until three. Mom, why do you play oldies? -Patiently waiting --Christopher ------------------------------ From: mjames@khserver.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9808131248.AA14929@khserver.loyola.edu> Subject: Semi-TMBG:STD From Tower Records Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 08:48:19 -0400 (EDT) > Back at the Hatch shell concert, I ordered STD, they(tower Records) gave Speaking of Tower Records, I'm not sure if it's priced this way everywhere but how does Tower possibly expect people to pay $18 for a CD?!? I opted to not buy it from there after seeing it for that hugely inflated price and got it for $13 elsewhere. When I got STD I was not sure who was distributing the CD and it turns out Restless is. Now that they've broken off from Elecktra I'm curious if STD is a partially attempt to curry favor with another major label? I wonder what kind of distribution area Restless is able to give them as they are not a major? I hope it's not too restrictive... --Matt, waiting for Dr. Worm single and video! -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: ArwenAnaNg@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 08:59:26 EDT Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG-ish: CD Now -- NOT! In a message dated 8/12/98 12:33:31 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Kreadoubt@aol.com writes: > Ya know, I had the same problem from CD NOW with It's Fun To Steal and > Factory > Showroom. I give up! No more CD NOW, no more info club. What is this? A > conspiracy? > I got IFTS from CD Now *well* before the street release date since I made an "advance order." But I just had to cancel my order for STD from them yesterday and go buy it at the mall. I sent in a complaint, and they said it's on back order, probably because too many people advance ordered and they didn't have enough. Still, it's a lame excuse! -- Arwen, currently pissed off at CD Now ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 09:30:23 -0500 From: Chris Combs Subject: Re: TMBG: Nathan's Review of "Severe Tire Damage" Message-id: <3.0.5.16.19980813093023.280f82d0@entropy.muc.muohio.edu> >From: "VoVat Quetzalcoatlus" > >Severe Tire Damage Theme: There's not that much there, but it has an >interesting sound. It actually sounds like it could be the theme to a >television programme. Maybe it will be used for the speculated children's show that's come up in recent weeks. /---------------------------------------------------------------\ | Chris Combs aka Piglet Goat Boy | | http://muc.muohio.edu/~goatboy/ | | "If I have any real purpose in life I guess it would be to | | slam a stapler against the forehead of American pop culture." | | -"Weird Al" Yankovic | \---------------------------------------------------------------/ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980813100002.006a93c4@130.127.28.14> Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 10:00:02 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: Semi-TMBG:STD From Tower Records At 08:48 AM 8/13/98 -0400, Matthew James wrote: > >When I got STD I was not sure who was distributing the CD and it turns >out Restless is. Now that they've broken off from Elecktra I'm curious >if STD is a partially attempt to curry favor with another major label? If you look on the CD, it says that TMB Productions hold all the rights to the album and Restless is merely licensing it. A brilliant move for the Giants, certain to net them more $$$. >I wonder what kind of distribution area Restless is able to give them as >they are not a major? I hope it's not too restrictive... Think of it this way - look at all the stores with copies of Pink, Lincoln, and Then. They have incredible distribution, although they aren't really a major. They did recently get a huge cash influx though. -Adam -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: Tom Earl Message-Id: <199808131335.JAA08428@peyote.coast.net> Subject: Re: TMBG: Nathan's Review of "Severe Tire Damage" Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 09:35:34 -0400 (EDT) Well, I just got mine from cdnow.com and I must say that it reminds me of all the THEY shows that I have been to... Not a lot of new stuff, but good for a greatest hits... Tom > > >From: "VoVat Quetzalcoatlus" > > > >Severe Tire Damage Theme: There's not that much there, but it has an > >interesting sound. It actually sounds like it could be the theme to a > >television programme. > > Maybe it will be used for the speculated children's show that's come up > in recent weeks. > > > /---------------------------------------------------------------\ > | Chris Combs aka Piglet Goat Boy | > | http://muc.muohio.edu/~goatboy/ | > | "If I have any real purpose in life I guess it would be to | > | slam a stapler against the forehead of American pop culture." | > | -"Weird Al" Yankovic | > \---------------------------------------------------------------/ > -- * ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Earl "I come to live..." Network Engineer It means I have come to live my life my Coast to Coast Telecommunications way and I'm not going to be dragged down by +1.800.900.9960 by feelings of sorrow or remorse. I am a Tom@coast.net strong person and I will let no-thing get in my way of my goals... * ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980813152543.006cce70@cybnetonline.com> Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 10:25:43 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: Semi-TMBG:STD From Tower Records At 10:00 AM 8/13/98 -0400, Adam Tyner wrote: >At 08:48 AM 8/13/98 -0400, Matthew James wrote: >> >>When I got STD I was not sure who was distributing the CD and it turns >>out Restless is. Now that they've broken off from Elecktra I'm curious >>if STD is a partially attempt to curry favor with another major label? > >If you look on the CD, it says that TMB Productions hold all the rights to >the album and Restless is merely licensing it. A brilliant move for the >Giants, certain to net them more $$$. > Also notice that TMBG owns all the rights to their songs. Usually Restless would have ended up with that. TMBG got a sweet deal when they first signed with Elektra. >>I wonder what kind of distribution area Restless is able to give them as >>they are not a major? I hope it's not too restrictive... > >Think of it this way - look at all the stores with copies of Pink, Lincoln, >and Then. They have incredible distribution, although they aren't really a >major. They did recently get a huge cash influx though. > Lemme give ya an example. I live here in Podunksville Kansas. Last I checked Hastings had all the albums, as well as Then. (at least one copy) Plus twelve copies of Severe Tire Damage, until I bought my copy. LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980813155019.8011.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Kerry Smith" Subject: TMBG: Singles Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 08:50:19 PDT I'm looking to buy any singles, other than: Back to Skull The Guitar (US & UK versions) S-E-X-X-Y The Statue Got Me High Why Does the Sun Shine? If you have any singles NOT on this list, please let me know the title, condition, and price. Thank you! Also, has anyone compiled the second volume of the bootleg video? I've been off the mailing list for a while. Please send email to: klsmith2@hotmail.com Thank you again! Kerry ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: Ghallagher@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 12:15:38 EDT Subject: TMBG:Help me in Canada!! I just joined the list and I've never heard anything of STD. I went to a few music stores and nobody knows anything. Anyone have any idea when it's coming to Canada or if? Rob ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35D322C2.28A5EFD@pacificnet.net> Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 09:31:00 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Nice 'n' Clean various people said this: >>I applaud >>TMBG for not putting a louder audience between songs & during songs (which >>also often makes the song harder to hear) >i completely agree... i'd gotten BNL's "Rock Spectacle" and kinda decided live >albums weren't *all that* but gave in to Ani DiFranco's live album and luckily >changed my mind. Moxy Fruvous's is great too.. i don't listen to the >tragically hip's one all that often but it's more along the lines of BNL's.. That's at least three of us that like this "too clean" sound. It would have been fine with me if we hadn't heard any audience at all. I have the above mentioned BNL live CD. Someone told me it the best introduction to the band. So when I put in the CD for my first listen to these guys, I hear the fans screaming the words to the song before I could him their own voices. It kind of put me off. There's been cheering fans on rock albums for 30 years now and its always a drag to have to wait through all that yelling before each track. Hearing people yell and applaud does not recreate the live experience. By the way, I'm very impressed this the CD. I'd prefer a full studio album any day but STD is very pleasing. Full review to come...when I get time! -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: rhilton@bitc.org.uk Message-Id: Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 17:43:11 +0000 Subject: TMBG:Help me in Canada!! -Reply Never mind Canada - when's it coming to the UK!!! Richard >>> "Ghallagher@aol.com" 13/August/1998 05:27pm >>> I just joined the list and I've never heard anything of STD. I went to a few music stores and nobody knows anything. Anyone have any idea when it's coming to Canada or if? Rob ------------------------------ From: Spoonerism@aol.com Message-ID: <7382a8b1.35d3219a@aol.com> Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 13:25:45 EDT Subject: TMBG: New Info Club ! Well, I went to my mailbox today (You never know what you find when you open it up), when what to my wondering eyes fo appear, but a TMBG Info Club newsletter, but no eight tiny reindeer. Well, Their merchandise has gotten a little slim, but they do preview the new TMBG Video Collection, as well as offering TMBG Temporary tattoos and a super cool poster of our two favorite Johns on the inside. It's comin' atcha! -CAsey "The heat and light of the sun are caused by the nuclear reactions of iron, copper, aluminum, and NutraSweet."- John Linnell ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 13:35:29 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Singles Message-ID: <19980813.133728.9958.0.gray42@juno.com> On Thu, 13 Aug 1998 08:50:19 PDT "Kerry Smith" writes: >Also, has anyone compiled the second volume of the bootleg video? >I've >been off the mailing list for a while. Last I heard, they just finished the third one and are working on a fourth :) I just got the first one, and am totally addicted to it, it's great. Especially since it's my only way to get ahold of TMBG vidios (no cable). Mysterio Gal (now it's 1993 w/ The Crash Test Dummies) "I'm Dave Kendal." "I'm John Kendall..." "And I'm MC Search!" --Dave, John &John on 120 min. ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 >Please send email to: klsmith2@hotmail.com > >Thank you again! >Kerry > >______________________________________________________ >Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com > _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 12:37:32 -0600 Subject: TMBG: Non-Tmbg: Soul Coughing Message-ID: <19980813.123847.4038.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> okay the newest soul coughing single, "Circles" off of their yet-to-be released album can be heard in .wav format at: http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html if anyone wants me to throw their hello cd of the month club release (june, 1996) up let me know and i'll do that too, if there's enough interest. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html UPDATED! http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html ***august 14th...leno... EAGLE EYE CHERRY*** _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: PROFITEERS@aol.com Message-ID: <34dd4821.35d339cf@aol.com> Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 15:09:02 EDT Subject: TMBG: Another Bootleg collectors take on STD Well as always I have to side with Lawrence, It just isn't a good album. Yes its great to get a good fast WDTSS. ITs about time they release They got Lost after I got a good copy on tape 3-31-96, that's too long to wait! Why not Older, try and save this record for god sake. Of course being a big fan, I'm going to buy it anyway but come on. Dr. Worm was much better live with the accordian, and how can anyone applaud no crowd noise or "added" noise between songs when song are taken from live in studio performances, then hacked up and rerun through machine and rerecord vocals. Hmm, I guess I don't call that 'live' but maybe I'm stupid too. I might as well hope Their next album is called Older so it contain for sure one trure tested song :) I got tons of bootlegs that I can pop in have have a better live sound than that. For those that think all bootlegs are just crowd screaming and 'noise' abviously you don't have a nice enough collection yet. I do applaud the band on giving us something, no being a Flans fan at all means getting a Mono Puff album doesn't do anything to tide the wait. Hope Dewan's new one is out soon, that would tie me over. Todd Hell, any traders out there wanna get some swaps going?, just holler! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 16:03:08 -0400 Subject: TMBG: STD Random Musings Message-ID: <19980813.160317.16574.0.Superman75@juno.com> From: superman75@juno.com (Adam Schaaf) hi. you take the good. you take the bad. you take the rest and there you have Severe Tire Damage. i can't really explain how i am so absolutely thrilled and so terribly disappointed at the same time with this one. a lot of things have been said already, but, hey, i've been in maine for the past week. figure i should be allowed to throw in my opinion. Doctor Worm: this song quickly became my favorite tmbg song through bootlegs and live shows. i think it sounds even better now. the horns really make the difference. it feels like it would have fit perfectly on John Henry. and like jim said, the fade of the instruments at the a cappella is perfect. Severe Tire Damage Theme: sounds like the simpsons theme a little bit. it should have been a longer instrumental. it should have been triboro. They Got Lost: like the intro. love the song. nice to finally have it on CD. WDTSS: the version off of Live In NYC is much better. linnell is much more "In to it," as is flans. this always, however, sounds better in concert. Birdhouse/Ana Ng: i kind of felt gipped that these were taken from Live In NYC cause i have the John Henry version of it. i've heard better versions of both. She's An Angel: seeing as how linnell (i think) said that this is how the song is supposed to have sound on the pink album, i can see why it's on here. XTC vs Adam Ant/Particle Man/Till My Head Falls Off: eh. Istanbul: couldn't have asked for anything better. it breathes new life into a song that i long since lost its charm to me. why can't jim be there to do that intro at every show? She's Actual Size/Meet James Ensor: very nice. VERY nice. The Ape songs: the best way to break the monotony of these songs is to play the cd on random a la Fingertips. on a whole, STD is more than i expected, but still falls far below the mark. it doesn't come close to an actual live tmbg show. the ape songs should have been cut allowing more regular and new songs to fill in (Spy, Rest Awhile, Shoehorn, etc.). in my opinion, i'd say hunt down Dr. Spock or Live In NYC, or better yet, get some bootlegs. adam schaaf, who would like to think that the people won. _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot@aol.com Message-ID: <63ae40ba.35d34aa2@aol.com> Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 16:20:49 EDT Subject: TMBG: XTC vs. Adam Ant & Thanks... I'm one of those freaks who really likes XTC vs. Adam Ant (it's one of the few TMBG songs all my friends seem to somewhat dig, maybe that's why)...& I love the live version....I always have...sorry, I just have to advocate for this song, because no one seems to ever do it! (Everyone's always like: I hate that song...it ruins Factroy Showroom or something like that)... Thanks to everyone who's submitted "turd" synonyms (you know who you are), but if any of the rest of you want to remember, it's not too late! jason "turd" glastetter ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19980813190212.007dac60@mail-in.keme.net> Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 19:02:12 +0100 From: the famous Uncle Squid Subject: Re: TMBG:Help me in Canada!! -Reply At 17:43 13/08/98 +0000, you wrote: >Never mind Canada - when's it coming to the UK!!! >Richard > >>>> "Ghallagher@aol.com" 13/August/1998 05:27pm >>> >I just joined the list and I've never heard anything of STD. I went to a few >music stores and nobody knows anything. Anyone have any idea when >it's coming >to Canada or if? > >Rob > Richard, It's hitting Colchester on Saturday, I ordered it... shall I send a copy with the Then stuff? I'll do the same for any other Brits on the list for a small sum of cash. --USQ Colin Ellesley: The eastern counties authority on Carter USM/TMBG/Bennet/The Levellers Home Page: www.keme.co.uk/~thelimes/trendsetting.html New Photo Site: www.keme.co.uk/~thelimes/cols/ <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> -- Quotes about Colin #1 -- "He loves carter usm so much, he probably screams out lyrics when he cums" -- Mira <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 16:55:24 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Woodward Subject: TMBG: STD Thoughts.. Message-id: Everyone else seems to be posting reviews, so here's my thoughts on STD. Overall: I'm not particularly impressed. A live album is not what TMBG needs. They're not a great live band, and it would make more sense for them to concentrate on a studio album instead of regurgitating what's already been played into the ground. The sound of the live tracks leaves a lot to be desired. They sound like second-rate studio outtakes. From a taper's standpoint, using a strict soundboard feed was a bad move. You lose the identity of a live recording. You get a cleaner-sounding recording, but you lose the ambience and energy of the live experience. A matrix of soundboard and audience (such as was used for Live in NY, but possibly with more board) would have been perfect. The lack of banter is annoying as well. It's not like there's not enough space for it (a live CD with room for 20 more minutes? come on.) No banter makes the CD feel not like a show. Not only that, but the use of horns gave the impression that it's a normal addition to the show (I wish it was). Dr. Worm is great, though. But even it didn't live up to my expectations (where's the accordion? the break in the middle was my favorite part of the song). I do like the addition of the horns, though. STD Theme and About Me are fun, but don't add much to the CD. They Got Lost? I was disappointed to hear that it was the fast version they were using. I like the guitar line on the fast version, but the rhythm of the song is just too inconsistent. All the stops and starts get in the way of the groove, and this problem wasn't in the slower version. She's An Angel -- is this version slower than LiNY? It feels like it. The mix is a little off, as well -- it just doesn't sound as nice as the LiNY CD. It's still really nice to have this released. First Kiss.. ugh. Why not use one of the *good* new songs? S-E-X-X-Y is really good. Meet James Ensor? Come on, what's with this? This just doesn't belong on this CD. It's not really live, and it's an inferior version to the JH version. Till My Head Falls Off is great, but I had a hard time telling it apart from the studio version. Why put it on here if it doesn't add anything to the song? The Planet of the Apes saga -- I'm not a big fan of this. And the quality really blows in parts, too. :) But ohwell. Lots of griping, I'm sorry. I'm just not impressed with thits. I have high hopes for the next studio release, though! * ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Josh Woodward, CheEsy Fru. joshw@mail.bgsu.edu Web Site and Tape List: http://www.dc-adnet.com/joshw/ "When I hold you, there are no secrets." - Fruvous ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 15:40:55 -0600 (MDT) From: Scot Westwood Subject: Re: TMBG:Help me in Canada!! Message-ID: Ok I just have to ask a stupid question, can't the canadians and the brits order STD from the online record stores. I order TMBG from Australia and the Netherlands and it usually gets to me faster than the stuff I order from within the US. Just wondering. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 15:53:13 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: STD Random Musings / istanbul Message-ID: On Thu, 13 Aug 1998, Adam Schaaf wrote: > Istanbul: couldn't have asked for anything better. it breathes new life > into a song that i long since lost its charm to me. why can't jim be > there to do that intro at every show? well, i *would*, but they already *have* an accordionist. besides which, i think my ph.d. advisor would get a little annoyed. --jim kuemmerle, who also likes to play the drums... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980813215324.1145.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "VoVat Quetzalcoatlus" Subject: Re: TMBG: STD Thoughts.. Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 14:53:22 PDT >Reply-To: Josh Woodward >The lack of banter is annoying as well. It's not like there's not enough >space for it (a live CD with room for 20 more minutes? come on.) No banter >makes the CD feel not like a show. Not only that, but the use of horns >gave the impression that it's a normal addition to the show (I wish it >was). I see no reason to believe that the Johns WANTED the CD to sound like a show. From what I've heard, They thought that the songs sounded better live than they had on the album. I have seen several complaints that the album "didn't feel like a live show," but perhaps it wasn't supposed to. >Meet James Ensor? Come on, what's with this? This just doesn't belong on >this CD. It's not really live, and it's an inferior version to the JH >version. Actually, it IS "really live." It just wasn't played at a show. And, yes, it doesn't sound as GOOD as the JH version, but it sounds interesting and amusing. -- Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "The puffin sipped at his herbal tea and sighed, 'You can't get the buttons these days.'" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19980813230040.007d9550@mail-in.keme.net> Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 23:00:40 +0100 From: the famous Uncle Squid Subject: Re: TMBG:Help me in Canada!! At 15:40 13/08/98 -0600, you wrote: > Ok I just have to ask a stupid question, can't the canadians and >the brits order STD from the online record stores. I order TMBG from >Australia and the Netherlands and it usually gets to me faster than the >stuff I order from within the US. Just wondering. > > I order through a local Indie store here in the UK and it's not too expensive and it takes only a week and a half max after the release date to come in! I'm very happy with this. --USQ Colin Ellesley: The eastern counties authority on Carter USM/TMBG/Bennet/The Levellers Home Page: www.keme.co.uk/~thelimes/trendsetting.html New Photo Site: www.keme.co.uk/~thelimes/cols/ <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> -- Quotes about Colin #1 -- "He loves carter usm so much, he probably screams out lyrics when he cums" -- Mira <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> ------------------------------ From: Kreadoubt@aol.com Message-ID: <9e898011.35d32c42@aol.com> Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 14:11:09 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG-ish: CD Now -- NOT! In a message dated 98-08-13 09:01:54 EDT, you write: << But I just had to cancel my order for STD from them yesterday and go buy it at the mall. I sent in a complaint, and they said it's on back order, probably because too many people advance ordered and they didn't have enough. Still, it's a lame excuse! >> Yup, Yup, Yup, I did the same along with 3 other people I know. We all wrote in and complained. But, you probably won't see THAT on their "fan mail" page. grrrrrrrrrrr... I will NEVER deal with them again! -kreadoubt "Yah know, it's things like this that make me think we're freak magnets" JF ------------------------------ From: Spoonerism@aol.com Message-ID: <6d89de47.35d37d23@aol.com> Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 19:56:18 EDT Subject: TMBG: New info club! Well, I went to my mailbox today (You never know what you find when you open it up), when what to my wondering eyes fo appear, but a TMBG Info Club newsletter, but no eight tiny reindeer. Well, Their merchandise has gotten a little slim, but they do preview the new TMBG Video Collection, as well as offering TMBG Temporary tattoos and a super cool poster of our two favorite Johns on the inside. It's comin' atcha! -CAsey "The heat and light of the sun are caused by the nuclear reactions of iron, copper, aluminum, and NutraSweet."- John Linnell ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 20:11:47 -0400 Subject: TMBG: STD Random Musings (amendment) Message-ID: <19980813.201154.4078.0.Superman75@juno.com> From: superman75@juno.com (Adam Schaaf) hi. i forgot to mention this. what happened to the supposed multimedia section? if you look at the back of the CD, it looks like it should have one. i placed it into my computer, but got nothing. was this just all vicious rumor? i forgot who said they should have used different band members names for They Got Lost. can you imagine if the song was written back in the day? "...pre-recorded drum track said to non-exsistant bassist, 'I think there's someone walking this way'...." adam schaaf, who's now thinking the apes won. _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 20:40:06 -0400 From: Destin Berthelot Subject: Re: TMBG: STD Random Musings (amendment) Message-id: <35D38766.B2@rollins.edu> Organization: Rollins College Adam Schaaf wrote: > i forgot to mention this. what happened to the supposed > multimedia section? if you look at the back of the CD, it > looks like it should have one. i placed it into my computer, > but got nothing. was this just all vicious rumor? I think that line on the back of the CD may just be the silence between About Me and Planet of the Apes. Anyway, yes, it was never anything more than a rumor someone made up someday as a "wouldn't it be cool if" type of thing. There was never a basis in fact. But wouldn't it have been cool? ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Destin Berthelot | "All persons, http://fox.rollins.edu/~dberthelot/ | living or dead, | are purely They Might Be Giants Visual Discography: | coincidental." http://members.xoom.com/theymightbe/ | -Kurt Vonnegut ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 20:50:20 -0400 Subject: TMBG: gray42: vidio bootleg info Message-ID: <19980813.205301.10302.0.gray42@juno.com> I'm sending this to the list because I know of at least 2 people who need it, and I lost their addresses. whew, boy am I glad I kept this letter in my archives, hopefully this'll help out. When I ordered mine, I received my copy within a week, this guy is definitely dependable and the vidios are well worth it. <> Mysterio Gal (whose visiting 1993 with covers by TMBG) "I'm Dave Kendal." "I'm John Kendall..." "And I'm MC Search!" --Dave, John &John on 120 min. ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: ArwenAnaNg@aol.com Message-ID: <73845126.35d38f31@aol.com> Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 21:13:20 EDT Subject: TMBG: TMBG-ish - CD Now STD Bummer I wanted to share with everyone a copy of the email I sent to CD Now Customer Service. I think anyone else who got screwed should do likewise. I'll let everyone know the response I get. -- Arwen, consumer advocate > First I would like to say that, in the past, I have always been pleased with the > service from CD Now. I received my order today ... 2 days after the street date. > Since I paid almost an extra $7 for FedEx, I would like to keep the CD, but have the > shipping amount credited towards my next purchase. I would not have chosen that > delivery method if I thought I would get the order late. Subsequently, I'm involved > with the TMBG e-mail list and apparently SEVERAL people were disappointed by > CD Now regarding the same situation with this CD. Please consider this > request as a way of keeping a good customer happy. I look forward to your reply. > Thank you. ------------------------------ From: Kamesennin@aol.com Message-ID: <68f59b77.35d3977c@aol.com> Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 21:48:43 EDT Subject: TMBG: Man... STD musing Is it me or is a disappointingly large amount of STD's material the same exact recordings as those on Live in NY? I thought the STD album was supposed to be material recorded from the STD tour, which as everyone knows has been going on recently. Oh well. I shouldn't complain, it's a great album anyway. It's just that I already had Live in NY, and I love getting albums that are made up of completey new stuff instead of mostly new stuff. I really should shut up. -Geoff ------------------------------ From: Kamesennin@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 21:53:27 EDT Subject: TMBG: more musing Actually, I kinda figured this out. The STD tour was promoting the STD album, which is made up of live stuff. It's just kinda weird, having concerts to promote recordings of other concerts. Hehe. :-) I had it the other way around (the album promoting the tour). -Geoff ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Message-ID: <8a46f68d.35d39906@aol.com> Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 21:55:16 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Man... STD musing In a message dated 8/13/98 9:53:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Kamesennin@aol.com writes: << Is it me or is a disappointingly large amount of STD's material the same exact recordings as those on Live in NY? >> Large amount? 3 songs? Besides, they are remixed, and noticeable (the extra beginning to She's An Angel, etc)...and NOT a lot of people have Live in NY... Besides, you have to admit, they are VERY good versions of these songs. They wanted to pick the best performances, so they did. (though I've heard people complain about Ana Ng...) Jordan ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 20:10:23 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: STD Random Musings (amendment) Message-ID: <19980813.201453.15806.3.TMBgirl@juno.com> >i forgot to mention this. what happened to the supposed >multimedia section? if you look at the back of the CD, it >looks like it should have one. i placed it into my computer, >but got nothing. was this just all vicious rumor? i think we were just commenting that it'd be reeeally cool if they'd do something like that... i don't think it was ever in the plans tho. >i forgot who said they should have used different band members >names for They Got Lost. can you imagine if the song was written >back in the day? nonoo... i just said that they shoulda used the version where linny is like "graham said to brian i think i see somebody walking this way... so eric rolled down the window and said 'hello, excuse me, hey'" linny did something along those lines at one of the mercury lounge shows so they had to sing it *again* at the same show (which, the second time they sang it that night is what we hear on the album i think... i'll have to go back and listen.) >"...pre-recorded drum track said to non-exsistant bassist, 'I think >there's someone walking this way'...." no... i bet they'd use Jamie and Bill... they did tour with the boys back in the day you know. >adam schaaf, who's now thinking the apes won. dude, they always do! :) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html ***EAGLE EYE CHERRY is on Leno tomorrow night (friday)*** ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 22:35:25 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: a bootleg collector's opinion... Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 12-Aug-98 Re: TMBG: a bootleg collect.. by V. Quetzalcoatlus@hotmai > It's much the same way with me, although I'm not sure "Don't Let's > Start" would have been a good replacement choice. I've heard a few live > versions of DLS, and they tend to be fairly similar to the album > version, and not especially remarkable. yeah, but it's got energy. that's what a live album should be about. energy. not to mention that Linnell often has fun with the lyrics: "They want what they're not and I wish they would stop singing:" a. "deputy dog dog ding dang depa depa deputy dog dog ding dang depa depa" b. "deputy dog dog ding da... shwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang!" c. "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz!" d. all of the above and the "I don't want to live in this world anymore" line almost never survives in one piece... it's fun. certainly more fun than XTC vs. Adam Ant. and what about stuff like NyQuil Driver and Subliminal? staples of the late-1996 live show, which this CD seems to be for the most part. see, I think Moxy Fruvous did it right - I've seen them 4 times since I got Live Noise, and I've heard all but 2 of the songs on it at shows... I doubt we'll hear much of XTC, Angel, Ensor, and the Theme songs at shows... Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Everything sticks until it goes away, * This space inadvertently And the truth is we don't know anything." -TMBG * left blank. ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 23:20:06 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: STD Random Musings (amendment) Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 13-Aug-98 Re: TMBG: STD Random Musing.. by tmbgirl@juno.com > nonoo... i just said that they shoulda used the version where linny is > like "graham said to brian i think i see somebody walking this way... so > eric rolled down the window and said 'hello, excuse me, hey'" > > linny did something along those lines at one of the mercury lounge shows > so they had to sing it *again* at the same show (which, the second time > they sang it that night is what we hear on the album i think... i'll have > to go back and listen.) it was 12/18/97. The song was actually on the setlist twice, so it's not like they only played it the second time because they screwed up the first time. and right before the "reprise," as is indicated on the setlist, they announced something like "We want to get this song just right for the tape, so we're playing it twice. Actually, we'll play it twice right now.... the audience doesn't seem to be going for that idea..." they only played it once more, and Linnell sang "Hal said to Dan." the first time, he sang "Graham said to Dan," and on the bootleg tape, TDK can be heard saying "Graham? Graham who?" Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Everything sticks until it goes away, * This space inadvertently And the truth is we don't know anything." -TMBG * left blank. ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 22:14:52 -0600 Subject: TMBG: pages to check out Message-ID: <19980813.221457.15806.4.TMBgirl@juno.com> hEy hEy! i just ran across some interesting things... #1 the biography (can't beleive i hadn't run across this one before) for TMBG at www.ubl.com/ not to mention the review of STD... #2 www.bar-none.com/ has been updated (wow!) with a grip of info on Mono Puff and It's Fun To Steal... check it out (check it totally out!) :) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html ***august 14th: EAGLE EYE CHERRY... leno*** _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #9-14 *****************************