Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #9-16 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 9, Number 16 Sunday, 16 August 1998 Today's Topics: TMBG: STD ROCKS THE HOUSE TMBG: Rolling Stones article about THEM Re: TMBG:Hatch Shell '98 Video TMBG: Non- TMBG : Lincoln Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG-ish: CD Now -- NOT! TMBG: NARG!!! Re: TMBG: Flansburgh Votes Re: TMBG: NARG!!! TMBG: DIALASONG.COM TMBG: DAS On-Line Re: TMBG: DAS On-Line Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG-ish: CD Now -- NOT! Re: TMBG:Hatch Shell '98 Video Re: 1/2 TMBG: Catalog Re: TMBG: NARG!!! Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 02:28:14 -0500 From: The Pope Subject: TMBG: STD ROCKS THE HOUSE I just got my copy of STD today. I must say it totally rocks. A brief review. Dr. Worm - This song is all I had hoped for and MORE! I heard it live twice first at the concert in Minnesota and it lived up to expectations. The horns do it justice. STD Theme - I agree it sounds like a tv theme song. Hmmm..maybe that's why it's called STD Theme. They Got Lost - I had this on a good MP3 and loved it. Now I have it on CD and I still love it. The introduction is funny. The guitar and piano do for a good mix in it. Why Does the Sun Shine - sounds just like I'ver heard it live. I wish it were a little different. It seems like I've heard this version so many times it's not funny. but it's still a good song. Birdhouse in Your Soul - Not one of my fav's, but I don't hate it. Again it's still the same as it always has been. I still find myself singing along with it still, though. She's an Angel - It seems they slowed this song down even more. I like it. I like the trombone keeping the beat. I always liked this song. It sounds like John yawns in it at one point which is cool! XTC vs. Adam Ant - Another goody. I like the keyboard action and the strong guitar rthyms mmmmm. Istanbul - Possibly one of my favorites. I love the new horn rendention of this song!!! Although I thought the intro was a bit longer than it needed to be. But it's got a great new beat. Ana Ng - eh, I like the song, but I hold no real opinion about it one way or the other. I like the beat. First Kiss - Never heard this one before, but I liked it. Spider - coedi coo coo cado coedi coo coo cado SPIDER! Partical Man - I love this song LIVE! It moves better live than the flood version. It's got that southern creole accordian action. She' Actual Size - Makes me want to snap my fingers. S-E-X-X-Y - MORE THAN ENOUGH. Oh yeah. this one rocks as usual. "This song is dedicated to my one true love.....the ladies" Great guitar and horns. Meet James Ensor - I find this one humerous especially when it's just John and John and the accordian doing this song for a radio station. I like it when they do the guitar part with their voices it's cool. Till My Head Falls Off - It's nice and fast pace. Overall a good song. About Me - I just wish it were longer. Ape songs - Definitely can tell they are bootlegs but I love them all to death. Personally I'm pro ape. Overall I love this album. I like the guitar and keyboard play a lot. IMHO ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199808151644.LAA22890@mail1.nitco.com> From: "The Cowans" Subject: TMBG: Rolling Stones article about THEM Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 11:47:33 -0500 Here's an article with Flansy discussing their new album. It even mention the People surveys and how we voted Linnell to them. Go check it out: http://www.rollingstone.com/sections/news/text/newsarticle.asp?afl=rsn&NewsI D=5258&ArtistID=31&origin=news?afl=mail2 Blink ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35D592C2.1457E38C@hotmail.com> Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 13:53:09 +0000 From: "Chris \"Feeny\" Campbell" Subject: Re: TMBG:Hatch Shell '98 Video Me, Here is the set list: Lines Upon a Tranquil Brow (cover) James K. Polk STD Plug Dr.Worm (w/ horns + accordion) She's Actual Size Why Does The Sun Shine (Rock Version) STD Plug -Planet of the Apes Secret Tracks Battle for the Planet of the Apes Twisting Shoehorn w/ Teeth (Glockenspiel, Euphonium(Baritone Horn), French Horn) Flansy "Man of the Century" Plug John L Most Beautiful Person Plug Particle Man Autograph signing plug Mono Puff Show Plug Spy W/ I Am Not Your Broom Birdhouse In Your Soul The Guitar Everybody Conga "I am not kidding, In fact I would be swearing if my mom wasn't here!" No One Knows My Plan --Encore-- Istanbul (Not Constantanople) w/ loooooong Trumpet intro! GO JIM! Dr.Worm! - - - - - - - Signing Autographs! Total Time: 56 minutes It's $4.50 (donations welcome for driving 3 hours to boston taping going the the boston market for dinner and getting sick, driving back, getting home at midnight watching the show and making the setlist!) Derek A Klein wrote: > I remember that someone said that they were making copies of the '98 > Hatch Shell video. I forgot who that was, so could whoever's doing it > please e-mail me? Thanks. > > Derek > "Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age" > > _____________________________________________________________________ > You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. > Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com > Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 14:30:15 -0600 Subject: TMBG: Non- TMBG : Lincoln Message-ID: <19980815.143024.11190.4.TMBgirl@juno.com> hEY hEY! so i know there are a few lincoln fans on this list too... so i'll just forward this on over to you guys... --------- Begin forwarded message ---------- From: To: marcy_playground@listserv.oit.unc.edu Subject: Recess interview finally up! Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 12:39:21 -0700 (PDT) Yes, it's been a terribly long time coming. I thought I would let you all know that I have finally posted my interview with John. The interview occured back in March. It has a great deal of interesting information regarding the album, the band, Lincoln, John's past, John's thoughts on music, and even a bit of off-kilter humor about Dawson's Creek. Real Audio clips will be coming soon. They will most likely be posted in mid-September after I return to school and can encode the audio. Thanks to everyone for being patient. It is located at Recess, of course, the URL for which is: http://marcy.tickertape.net Please also take note of the new(ish) splash page, which features an image modified from a photograph by the wonderful Milo Stewart, my personal photographic saviour. Now please go read... and enjoy! -beth john http://marcy.tickertape.net + http://www.tickertape.net http://lincoln.tickertape.net + http://www.swanky.org --------- End forwarded message ---------- take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: thought@weblink.org (Jesse McClusky) Message-Id: <26c95136.u10t12e.7a12a-thought@weblink.org> Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG-ish: CD Now -- NOT! Date: Sat, 15 Aug 98 13:42:16 Organization: Advanced Computer Interactions -> Kreadoubt (Kreadoubt@doubt.com) Aug 13 > In a message dated 98-08-13 09:01:54 EDT, you write: > > << But I just had to cancel my order for STD from them yesterday > and go buy it at the mall. I sent in a complaint, and they said it's on back > order, probably because too many people advance ordered and they didn't have > enough. Still, it's a lame excuse! >> > > Yup, Yup, Yup, I did the same along with 3 other people I know. We all wrote > in and complained. But, you probably won't see THAT on their "fan mail" page. > > grrrrrrrrrrr... I will NEVER deal with them again! > > -kreadoubt > > "Yah know, it's things like this that make me think we're freak magnets" JF > Hah! I actually got my order in with them when they first started taking pre-orders, about two months ago. It arrived on my doorstep ON THE 11th! I was SOOOoooo happy! So there! PThbthbthbthbthbthb! (: Jesse ------------------------------ From: thought@weblink.org (Jesse McClusky) Message-Id: <26c95498.u10t12e.493e8-thought@weblink.org> Subject: TMBG: NARG!!! Date: Sat, 15 Aug 98 14:00:33 Organization: Advanced Computer Interactions I have a horrid dilema. THEY will be in town (Seattle) on Sunday Sept 6th, at 8 pm at Bumbershoot (a local seasonal festival with about 60-70 bands). This is their first show out here (that I know of) since March 97. Now here's my dilema: I'm good friends with this other band, called Life Like Feel. Good friends as in I get into most of their shows for free, help them set up and tear down, and hang out with them alot. They've opened for Jethro Tull, Fuel's only Seattle show to date, Hater, etc. They also publish the "New Seattle Music Scene" CDs and "Seattle Women in Rock". The lead singer's on the Grammy Nominations Committee. Big local group. Only, this time they're the ONLY opening act for Page & Plant (formerly of Led Zepplin) at The Gorge, a huge out-door amphitheatre. It's been sold-out for months now, but that's not an issue (see above). And, you guessed it -- the show starts at 7pm on (buh-buh-buh) Sunday Sept 6th. It's also about a 45 minute drive East for me, while seattle is about a 20 minute drive West for me. But that BROOM in my trunk (you think I'm kidding? Ask anyone who's seen my car trunk) is SCREAMING to go to another of THEYr shows. HELP! Jesse ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35D6053A.42CF@geocities.com> Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 15:01:30 -0700 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: Flansburgh Votes RabidChidl@aol.com wrote: > > Here's what to do to get Flansburgh up to a higher rank: GO to www.tmbg.org > and click the "vote for Flansburgh" text. Submit your vote and then type in > www.tmbg.org again. Keep doing this, because each time you do it counts > between 2 and 5 votes each time!!! He must beat Eric Cartman!!!!!! Hey, I've been a-voting away, and with my version of Netscape, if you hit "Reload" on the results page, it'll ask you if you want to repost the form. Just say yes, then hit reload, then yes, then hit reload, and you'll get 2-4 votes every time you reload! John's only about 700 votes away from #6! -- Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* "Is everything normal now?" "And crawling on the "Well, he hasn't got planet's face... some religious mania, and he's called the Human Race. not running around in a Lost in time, and lost circle spouting Gilbert in space... and Sullivan, so I guess ...and meaning." he's normal." ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <39ebebd5.35d60a89@aol.com> Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 18:24:08 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: NARG!!! >HELP! are you KIDDING me?? got to THEY! :D if they're your friends, they'll understand.. (also if they're your friends, they can play anytime ;))... sarah~ ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot@aol.com Message-ID: <5666fc30.35d61b6c@aol.com> Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 19:36:05 EDT Subject: TMBG: DIALASONG.COM Ugh! Looks like Dialasong.com will only be updated twice a month (check out yahoo.com & it's listing under They Might Be Giants)...that sucks..... jason "wishes he lived in Brooklyn" glastetter ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: DAS On-Line Message-ID: <19980815.195903.9007.0.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 20:00:12 EDT On the Dial-A-Song website, it says you need an MP3 player to download the songs on there. I went to the MP3 website, but it was too confusing. So, does anyone know where I can download an MP3 player for Windows 3.1? Thanks. Derek "Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age" _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19980815201546.00698ce4@130.127.28.14> Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 20:15:46 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: DAS On-Line I think you're confusing mp3 with Quicktime 3. I wish they'd use mp3 because the .mov files are low quality and large, but you can get a Win3.1 version from: ftp://ftp.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/US/DOS-Wi ndows/QuickTime/QTEASY16.EXE (or http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/qtwin3.1.html ) Unfortunately, the latest version of Quicktime for Win3.1 doesn't have some of the features found in the new Mac and Win95 releases, so you might have to download the .mov file and then play it from your hard drive. But I'm pretty sure it'll work. (I'm using the same version of Quicktime...never bothered to upgrade, since it works just fine. :-) -Adam At 08:00 PM 8/15/98 EDT, Derek A Klein wrote: >On the Dial-A-Song website, it says you need an MP3 player to download >the songs on there. I went to the MP3 website, but it was too confusing. >So, does anyone know where I can download an MP3 player for Windows 3.1? >Thanks. -- /=---------------- http://www.he-man.org/ctyner/ ----------------=\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! Demented music list admin O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: Kreadoubt@aol.com Message-ID: <9a2f1dfb.35d63d96@aol.com> Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 22:01:56 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG-ish: CD Now -- NOT! In a message dated 98-08-15 16:47:19 EDT, you write: << Hah! I actually got my order in with them when they first started taking pre-orders, about two months ago. It arrived on my doorstep ON THE 11th! I was SOOOoooo happy! So there! PThbthbthbthbthbthb! (: >> So did I, that's what was so frustrating. I cancelled the order a few days ago, about an hour after I did, they responded with "We have cancelled your order at your request." 2 days later they sent me another message "Your order has been shipped" There's something about that that just seems wrong.....guess what showed up today...grrrrrr *sigh* ------------------------------ From: Kreadoubt@aol.com Message-ID: <5dadab5c.35d63fba@aol.com> Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 22:11:05 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG:Hatch Shell '98 Video >From: unknownsender@unknown.domain >Me, Here is the set list: O.k., Me (Hatch Shell '98) ummm, my computer won't accept the "unkownsender" thing you have for a return address. It just keeps coming back as un- sendable. So, who do we send requests and $ to? Thanks! kreadoubt@aol.com ------------------------------ From: DonkeyPlop@aol.com Message-ID: <8f796b4b.35d65dc5@aol.com> Date: Sun, 16 Aug 1998 00:19:16 EDT Subject: Re: 1/2 TMBG: Catalog I was also happy to see the catalog in my mail. I was also happy to see the poster. But i was not happy when I found out how the snail mail company handled it. It was all ripped and crinkled. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 Aug 1998 01:45:52 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: NARG!!! Message-ID: <19980816.014621.4686.1.sped27@juno.com> From: sped27@juno.com (Drew Lawless) On Sat, 15 Aug 1998 18:24:08 EDT KdsInThHal@aol.com writes: > >>HELP! > > >are you KIDDING me?? got to THEY! :D if they're your friends, they'll >understand.. (also if they're your friends, they can play anytime >;))... > > >sarah~ > I think the dilemma is less about the friends, and more about Page & Plant. I'd have to go with Page & Plant, even though I love TMBG way more than I could ever love them. But their set consists of three new songs, and everything else is old Zepplin tunes. I couldn't pass up a chance to see two of the guys who defined rock as we know it, especially with the prospect of not paying, (tickets were qutie pricey when they came around here) and being backstage. (I suppose that "two of the guys who defined rock as we know it" could apply to the Johns, too. Oh, well.) Zoso, Drew "Everyday sends future to past, every breath brings me closer to my last." -Dream Theater _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #9-16 *****************************