Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #9-18 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 9, Number 18 Tuesday, 18 August 1998 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Introducing... plus TMBG are GOOD! TMBG: Re: Introducing... TMBG: Flans needs YOUR help in kicking Gandhi's ass! Re:Subject: TMBG: Wall Of Sound review TMBG: Flans? Whither art thou? Re: TMBG: Flans needs YOUR help in kicking Gandhi's ass! Re: TMBG: Introducing... plus TMBG are GOOD! Re: TMBG: Certain People I Could Name Re: TMBG: NARG!!! TMBG: Info on tuesday's Mono Puff show Re: TMBG: What's the difference??? Re: TMBG: What's the difference??? TMBG: (an oppinion based) What's the difference??? TMBG: Paying the bills.... Re: TMBG: (an opinion based) What's the difference??? TMBG: Allow myself to introduce... myself TMBG: Dr. Worm & the movie (again) TMBG: oh yeah... TMBG: Mazel Tov!!! Dan Levine got married! Re: TMBG: Mazel Tov!!! Dan Levine got married! Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm & the movie (again) Re: TMBG: Mazel Tov!!! Dan Levine got married! Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm & the movie (again) Re: TMBG: Allow myself to introduce... myself TMBG: http://www.tmbg.net/ - New page Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm & the movie (again) Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm & the movie (again) Re: TMBG: oh yeah... TMBG: TMBG on CDNOW Re: TMBG: TMBG on CDNOW Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <005c01bdc9a8$bf066d00$78896fc6@kbrodbecremcen.ehhs.cmich.edu> From: "Kirsten Brodbeck" Subject: Re: TMBG: Introducing... plus TMBG are GOOD! Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 02:32:02 -0400 >x-ray spex (did you know poly styrene is gonna be on bush's next album?!) For real?! I don't know whether that's really cool, or just extremely frightening... 8) Kirsten (Oh bondage, up yours!) ================================================ "If I was dressed in my best defenses, would you agree to meet me for coffee?" - Ani DiFranco "Superhero" Kirsten Brodbeck * AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35D7EA3A.CD1C48B6@pacificnet.net> Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 00:30:58 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Re: Introducing... > However I did learn they're playing at the House of Blues the 12th of > next month, unfortunately, and this REALLY ticks me off...it's a 21+ > gig... this was on their website, perhaps there is someone else in the LA > area, other than me of my age that has attempted to purchase tickets and > are equally distraught? Not to make any judgements on musical styles, > but it's ironic that the Insane Clown Posse, Sepultura, and Anthrax are > listed as all-ages shows... I'd really like to know the reasoning behind > that, I know the alcohol sales would be up, but would it really be that > much of a difference considering a large portion of the TMBG audience are > younger than 21 (not to make them sound like they're the house band for > the Barney & Friends, of course) . > Welcome to the party George. The L.A. House of Blues show is on Sept. 11, not 12. You can buy all the tickets you want to that show no matter what your age is. They'll check your ID at the H.O.B though. Anyway, that gives you almost a month to come up with a fake ID (or find someone over 21 who looks a lot like you who'd be willing to lend you his). The good news though is that when TMBG played the L.A. HOB two years ago, they returned about a month afterward to do two all ages shows at other venues. I think that MAY happen again this time. Good luck! -B O N G O __________________________________ "I dance like my feet are my tongue when I eat" -Geggy Tah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35D7EBA4.3761A188@pacificnet.net> Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 00:36:58 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Flans needs YOUR help in kicking Gandhi's ass! Have you stuffed a ballot box today? Go to: http://www.pathfinder.com/time/time100/poc/century.html and help Flansburgh earn his rightful place in world history. -B O N G O _____________________________________________ "I dance like my feet are my tongue when I eat" -Geggy Tah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35D81F31.4C3C6B16@pacificnet.net> Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 04:16:58 -0800 From: Bongo Subject: Re:Subject: TMBG: Wall Of Sound review > Here's a review of STD from Wall of Sound - overall rating: 71/100 > > Back in 1986, the year They Might Be Giants' first album was released, > there was a serious lack of comedy in rock. Sure, a lot of the New Wave-y > singles of the early '80s were bouncy and frothy, but they weren't funny, > and most radio fare of the decade strove for meaning and spirituality, not > fun and games. Armed with an electric guitar and an accordion, John > Flansburgh and John Linnell made quite a dent in pop music's armor of > seriousness with their loopy debut... > Maybe I shouldn't complain considering its a very positive review but this guy, like many others, (including some fans) just don't get it. It never occurred to me that TMBG are a comedy rock band. That's because they're not. If you think they are that's fine. Occasionally, I react with laughter to some of their ideas but if humor was supposed to be their goal, I'd have to say that they failed miserably. It seems some people are incapable on distinguishing the difference between comedy and something that is odd/unique/witty (... or whatever you'd call TMBG). Anyone who would call TMBG "comedy musicians" would probably call Rene Magritte a "comedy painter". -B O N G O [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199808171218.UAA22756@vector.wantree.com.au> From: "Carla Stagles" Subject: TMBG: Flans? Whither art thou? Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 20:17:29 +0800 ok.. maybe it was a glitch or a halucination.. but i was at the Flans Rocks This Century Poll and he was at number 3!! and it was wonderful! now he is at number 6?? what's going on? and who keeps voting for Hitler?! carla "worse than floors on gerbil cages" ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 06:24:40 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Flans needs YOUR help in kicking Gandhi's ass! Message-ID: where's the fun in kicking gandhi's ass? all he does is lie there and give you that guilt trip look... --jim kuemmerle, the evil government agent who oppresses you... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 10:19:23 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Introducing... plus TMBG are GOOD! Message-ID: <19980817.101933.11094.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> >>x-ray spex (did you know poly styrene is gonna be on bush's next >album?!) > > For real?! I don't know whether that's really cool, or just >extremely >frightening... 8) yeah... apparently he's getting a bunch of old-school punk rockers to come and help him out... i think it's just a cheap way to get all of their fans to buy bush's album... take it easy, JOrdaN "some people think little girls should be seen and not heard well i think..." _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19980817122651.006ad370@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 12:26:51 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Certain People I Could Name At 11:26 PM 8/16/98 -0400, Emmanuel Donio wrote: > This will be quick so as not to diffuse the interest of whoever is >reading this...both of you. Anyway, my modem is slow and so the >Quicktime 3 streaming thing goes really slow, and I'm too cheap to poney >up the dough for the ugrade to save the dial up songs, and yet I want to >listen to "Certain People." If anyone knows where I can get a .wav file >of it, I would be most appreciative. Let me know. Try going to http://www.dialasong.com/sound/ and downloading it. It'll take a while, but that way you can listen to it off your hard drive instead of having it stream. -Adam ------------------------------ From: thought@weblink.org (Jesse McClusky) Message-Id: <26cbd384.u10t12e.aef89-thought@weblink.org> Subject: Re: TMBG: NARG!!! Date: Mon, 17 Aug 98 11:22:47 Organization: Advanced Computer Interactions -> KdsInThHal (KdsInThHal@aol.com) Aug 15 > >HELP! > > are you KIDDING me?? got to THEY! :D if they're your friends, they'll > understand.. (also if they're your friends, they can play anytime ;))... Yes, but they won't be the ONLY OPENING BAND for a hugely popular group with an audience of thousands just "anytime"... That's my real dilema. This is one of their "make it big" moments... Jesse, still wrestling ------------------------------ From: Drayco@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 14:59:04 EDT Subject: TMBG: Info on tuesday's Mono Puff show I got this info from an ad in the Village Voice. Mono Puff will be performing at the Central Park Bandshell this Tuesday as part of the Tsunami music festival. They are the last of three bands perfoming that day. If anyone's interested, the Moonlighters go on at 5:30, and Tadanoshin at 6:30. Mono Puff are slated to take the stage at 7:30. The Banshell is located just west of Rumsey Playfield, on 72nd street. I would like to meet up with some listies before the show. I will be wearing baggy jeans and a green Moxy Fruvous shirt, keep an eye out. --Jamal ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 15:19:03 -0400 (EDT) From: "mike@journalx.com" Subject: Re: TMBG: What's the difference??? Message-ID: On Sun, 16 Aug 1998, Josh Buckland wrote: > Does anyone know what the difference between Don't Let's Star on the > Pink Album and the one on the Misc. T album??? I've listened to them > both back and forth, and I just can't seem to find a difference, though > it lists the MT version as being yet another mix. I'm just not hearing > anything different. I posted on this subject a year ago, and I will sum up by saying that after extensive comparison, I was alarmed to discover numerous differences in the two mixes which make the single remix inferior in every way. Many interesting guitar and synthesizer elements have been pushed far back into the mix, creating a smoothed out blanket of sound rather than the textured one which defines the original pink album version. And, as I posted back then, the version on Then: The Earlier Years, placed in proper position in the running order of the pink album, is actually the single mix and not the original version of the song. Therefore you can only hear the original version by listening to the original album apart from its inclusion in Then. I found this disheartening, as the single mix is inferior in my opinion, and serves no useful purpose as it does not particularly highlight any strength of the song which would otherwise lend it some level of significance. Basically, I thought they got it right the first time, and the song did not need any further tinkering. If anyone wants to see my original post on this subject, you can look for the digest from June 21, 1997, or you can email me privately and I will send it to you. I urge you all to listen very closely to the two versions and I promise that you will hear differences. MIKe www.journalx.com CD currently playing: XTC - Drums And Wires Last movie seen in theatres - Snake Eyes Last movie seen on video - James And The Giant Peach (widescreen) Last brand of beer consumed - Upper Canada Honey Brown ------------------------------ Message-ID: <006801bdca13$dd8c49f0$0100000a@shadowsedge.ml.org> From: "Jen" Subject: Re: TMBG: What's the difference??? Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 12:18:44 -0700 >> Does anyone know what the difference between Don't Let's Start on the >> Pink Album and the one on the Misc. T album??? .... >And, as I posted back then, the version on Then: The Earlier >Years, placed in proper position in the running order of the pink album, >is actually the single mix and not the original version of the song. Okay, I have a request: does anyone have an mp3 of the pink album version? Although I have Then (as well as Misc T and Lincoln), I do not have a copy of the pink album itself, and would like to hear its version of one of my favorite songs. Thanks, SpiderEyes ------------------------------ From: gray42@.com Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 16:05:33 -0400 Subject: TMBG: (an oppinion based) What's the difference??? Message-ID: <19980817.160714.6926.0.gray42@juno.com> Hmmm. I guess I'm one of those cases who is used to the Pink Album version of DLS, than one day get Then, and says to herself WOW! I like this Bonus Track version ALOT more. The difference I see between the two is this: The Pink Album version is kinda classic rock and folky, almost Country, don't get me wrong, I really do enjoy this version, it's the one I grew up with. The Bonus Track version (or single remix) makes me think of something you'd get off a cheap keyboard, you know, the tunes yer supposed to play along with, and it's a helluva lot more depressing. The song has unhappy lyrics in the first place, and when you add dark keyboard music which carries the lyrics to extremes, you get a very sad song. It's because of these reasons that I am very fond of this version. I love stuff that makes my heart act all funny and twists my emotions. Probably why I really go crazy for Dr. Worm, Birdhouse, A Self Called Nowhere, Whirlpool etc., etc. Mysterio Gal (who had a scary dream about plastic vidio game animals with fuzzy tails for bodies) "I'm Dave Kendal." "I'm John Kendall..." "And I'm MC Search!" --Dave, John &John on 120 min. ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot@aol.com Message-ID: <57c72598.35d89555@aol.com> Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 16:40:52 EDT Subject: TMBG: Paying the bills.... I think TMBG still do what they can for "the love of music," however, there is always money involved in the music industry & I think, both have always been there...maybe now that they are getting older, they talk more truthfully about the money aspect involved (I remember reading something recently about how important money from Don't Let's Start was)... But I think what's more important is that TMBG doesn't try to let the money influence their music too much (if a record company says: get rid of those goddamn horns, I'm sure TMBG would protest!)...& they still do their own thing (in theory a record comapny can say: You want a side project? Forget it!!!! (depending on the contract).... jason "Hey, Mr. DJ! I thought you said we had a deal!!!!" glastetter ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 17:22:29 -0400 (EDT) From: "mike@journalx.com" Subject: Re: TMBG: (an opinion based) What's the difference??? Message-ID: On Mon, 17 Aug 1998, it was written: > Hmmm. I guess I'm one of those cases who is used to the Pink Album > version of DLS, than one day get Then, and says to herself WOW! I like > this Bonus Track version ALOT more. The difference I see between the two > is this: The Pink Album version is kinda classic rock and folky, almost > Country, don't get me wrong, I really do enjoy this version, it's the one > I grew up with. The Bonus Track version (or single remix) makes me think > of something you'd get off a cheap keyboard, you know, the tunes yer > supposed to play along with, and it's a helluva lot more depressing. I think you might be confusing the single mix with the bonus track demo version, which are very different of course. The 2 versions of DLS that I compared in my last post, and which were referenced by Josh Buckland initially, are the original version on the debut album, and the single mix from the DLS EP, Misc. T and Then. The demo version, included as a bonus track on Then, is really very interesting but was not part of these comparisons. To be clear, when I say "version" I really mean "mix" - in that various elements are different between them but the core of the song remains the same. Once again, I feel that it was ill advised to replace the original mix of DLS with the single mix in the running order of the debut album on Then - The Earlier Years, but then, much as I may like that box set overall, this is but one of my many complaints with it, complaints that are likely shared by anyone who's heard the 1985 demo tape, the Frank O'Toole Show from 1987, or any of the DAS compilations. MIKe www.journalx.com ------------------------------ From: cambot@juno.com Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 19:42:05 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Allow myself to introduce... myself Message-ID: <19980817.194206.3686.0.Cambot@juno.com> Hey there. This is my first post to the tmbg digest & it couldn't have been possible without all of you to read this message. I've been on here for just a week, since I've been too lazy to actually subscribe to this thing for a long time, but I have been a rabid TMBG fan since December of 1996, when I bought Flood (PUT DOWN THOSE STONES!!!) with some Christmas money. I had first heard them on the Brain Candy Soundtrack & I instantly found Spiraling Shape to be my favorite song on the disc. I bought Apollo 18 within a week of Flood, then Factory Showroom about 2 months later, I bought Then: The Earlier Years the day it came out, got John Henry while on vacation, & finally, Severe Tire Damage a week ago. I also have a plethora of bootlegs & rarities that can be found at my page. I've seen Them once at the Michigan Theatre in Ann Arbor last fall. So, maybe some of you from the message board on tmbg.org recognise me. I'm "Steve!", the almost-but-not-total-lurker, since I have posted many times, just at odd times. I've been around there since it had it's sandy background (so many memories...). My favorite bands other than TMBG? Well, I'm glad you didn't ask! They are (in no particular order) Ben Folds Five, Radiohead, Lincoln, Mono Puff, Beck, Fountains of Wayne, Man... or Astro-man?, SemiSonic, Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet, Travis, & Weezer. I'm just getting into BNL, after a long period of hating them. I guess hearing songs that aren't played-out on the radio by them won me over. I've also tried to get into Moxy Fruvous, but I only really enjoy one of their albums, You Will Go to the Moon. I have all of them, tho. I guess Live Noise is pretty good, but the rest are only so-so. Oh well. You have just wasted a small ammount of time by reading this. You can never get it back. He'll do something silly Steve! Why go to http://www.geocities.com/sunsetstrip/mezzanine/2495 When you could go for a stroll in the sun instead? _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980818004522.28850.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Jason Fickley" Subject: TMBG: Dr. Worm & the movie (again) Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 17:45:21 PDT I remember someone saying their local music store confirmed they were getting the Dr. Worm single in. Is there any official word yet on b-sides, if any??? Also, if there was a TMBG movie and David Spade didn't play Linnell, it would be a tragedy. (what brought this up, you ask? Tommy Boy on tv) --Jason-- "Hot Cha, where are you? Everybody's eyes are closed." -They Might Be Giants "As a lizard stalks a helpless creature on TV music underscores the tragedy" -They Might Be Giants ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980818004938.27775.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Jason Fickley" Subject: TMBG: oh yeah... Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 17:49:38 PDT I meant to say this before, but...maybe there will be a b-side alternate version of Dr. Worm featuring an accordion on the EP? Doubtful, but not beyond the realm of possibility (they've released alternate versions of songs that aren't total remixes before...DLS, KMSOG...) Wouldn't that just be divine? --Jason-- "Hot Cha, where are you? Everybody's eyes are closed." -They Might Be Giants "As a lizard stalks a helpless creature on TV music underscores the tragedy" -They Might Be Giants ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35D8D287.1EA@asan.com> Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 21:01:59 -0400 From: "Robert J. Plass" Organization: Schick Technologies, Inc. - The Leader in Digital Radiography Subject: TMBG: Mazel Tov!!! Dan Levine got married! Hello exquisite living people, They're dropping like flies, ladies! (**--Originally published in The New York Times, Sun Aug 16, 1998 Sec. 9 pp. 8--**) Sara Dillon, Daniel Levine Sara Joan Dillon, a bank executive and Daniel Morris Levine, a trombonist and composer,are to be married this morning in Manhattan. Justice Lucindo Suarez of the State Supreme Court in the Bronx will officiate at the Loeb Boathouse in Central Park. Ms. Dillon, 35, will keep her name. She is a vice president and business information officer at J.P. Morgan & Company in Manhattan. She graduated from Lehigh University. She is a daughter of Stella D. Dillon of Madison, Conn., and the late Donald G. Dillon. Mr. Levine, 37, performs with the bands They Might Be Giants and Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes and hsa played with Frank Sinatra and Ray Charles. He graduated from the University of Northern Colorado. He is a son of Judith and Charles Levine of Seville, Fla. (**--end--**) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 21:27:34 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Mazel Tov!!! Dan Levine got married! Message-ID: <19980817.212740.8774.0.Superman75@juno.com> From: superman75@juno.com (Adam Schaaf) hi. >Sara Joan Dillon, a bank executive and Daniel Morris Levine, >a trombonist and composer,are to be married this morning in >Manhattan. Justice Lucindo Suarez of the State Supreme >Court in the Bronx will officiate at the Loeb Boathouse in >Central Park. i'm sure we were all invited, but our invitations "got lost in the mail." adam schaaf, who's going to the chapel. _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 19:43:36 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm & the movie (again) Message-ID: <19980817.195234.3638.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> >Also, if there was a TMBG movie and David Spade didn't play Linnell, >it >would be a tragedy. (what brought this up, you ask? Tommy Boy on tv) oh that hurts... how many times has the "if their lives were a movie who should play them" thread come up and every time i said david spade should play linny... but no... no one cares. :P i actually used to say that the pair (spade and farley) would be really good... but people yelled at me and claimed that farley was too fat to play flans, which he is. but based solely on their characters (in TB)... david spade is all uptight and seems like the type to just run away from his fans linny-style and chris farley was just so laid back like flansy seems to be :) take it easy, JOrdaN yes, aside from TMBG... david spade (i've seen every damn episode of just shoot me), adam sandler (want me to recite billy madison for ya? including the TV version which has extra scenes?), and john travolta (yeah so i like his eyes) are my heros. EAGLE EYE CHERRY... AUGUST 22nd...MERCURY CAFE :) _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 19:47:14 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: Mazel Tov!!! Dan Levine got married! Message-ID: <19980817.195234.3638.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> > He graduated from the University >of Northern Colorado. i'm sooo sorry! anyways... i wonder if our boys were at his wedding? what do you kids think? take it easy, JOrdaN, http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html EAGLE EYE CHERRY... AUGUST 22nd...MERCURY CAFE _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 21:58:35 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm & the movie (again) In a message dated 8/17/98 9:54:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tmbgirl@juno.com writes: << i actually used to say that the pair (spade and farley) would be really good... but people yelled at me and claimed that farley was too fat to play flans, which he is. >> why not spade & dan akroyd? oh comeon (john henson voice) it's fun! sarah ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <2017d1c6.35d8df5f@aol.com> Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 21:56:46 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Allow myself to introduce... myself In a message dated 8/17/98 7:42:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time, cambot@juno.com writes: << I had first heard them on the Brain Candy Soundtrack & I instantly found Spiraling Shape to be my favorite song on the disc. >> <> yahooey, another KITH fan, eh..! :] and bf5, lincoln, mp (of course), ...man or astroman, and *SMOASP*! woo hoo! :) and bnl and moxy.. well, welcome aboard, steve... ya fit right in! :} see some of ya'll (and flansy too) in central park tomorrow... :D ~sarah http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 22:32:17 -0400 (EDT) From: Jish Subject: TMBG: http://www.tmbg.net/ - New page Message-ID: Ok... http://www.tmbg.net/ is up! Myself and a few people have been working on this for a while...it has several parts: News - A place for up to date TMBG news and information especially new setlists! Post setlists here right after shows and you can keep track of what TMBG is playing! Shows - an amazing archive of over 400 TMBG shows. We hope to get a nearly complete list of shows with setlists and reviews but we can't do it without your help. A lot of shows are missing...please submit...even if you aren't sure of the exact date! Articles - a huge database of articles/interviews with TMBG...hopefully it will get much much bigger... History - A complete history of TMBG for new fans mostly...I need more for it... #TMBG - the #TMBG page is here too with all the mp3s that had been up in the special offer page...d/l them :) Oh well...it has been fun making it...enjoy :) Jish ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980818030250.26121.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm & the movie (again) Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 20:02:48 PDT Actually, if there was a movie, why souldn't Linnell play Linnell. Or, judging by these guy, Flans could play Linnell, and vice versa. Or how 'bout this. That guy in Hope Floats. I saw him interviewed, and I though it was Linnell before I found out it was some guy who wasn't. Wasn't it Matt McSomebody. Ha-ha. McSomebody sounds like a MacDonlald's breakfast speacial. Heh-heh. That thought makes me laugh... Ah. Posting to this list sorta makes me feel all better. But enough about that! At first I laughed at the thought of a TMBG movie. Then I got to thinking. If Carrotop, Polly Shore, and Fran Drescher could do it, well dammit, so can They!!!!! Well, I'm off. Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com ICQ#: 17262308 contact me! http://profiles.yahoo.com/LeChuck__ LeChuck: "We are bound to one another." Guybrush: "Like dreadlocks?" LeChuck: "Yes, rather like that. But more like...brothers!" Guybrush: "Eh?" Lechuck: "I am your brother." Guybrush: "That's not true, that's impossible!" Lechuck: "Search your feelings, you know it to be true" Guybrush: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" -- Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 23:27:00 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm & the movie (again) << At first I laughed at the thought of a TMBG movie. Then I got to thinking. If Carrotop, Polly Shore, and Fran Drescher could do it, well dammit, so can They!!!!! Well, I'm off. >> Polly Shore??? Good God, he has a sister? Kay ------------------------------ Message-ID: <4pqDJAG00WB=1E_oY0@andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 23:30:20 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: oh yeah... Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 17-Aug-98 TMBG: oh yeah... by "Jason Fickley"@hotmail. > I meant to say this before, but...maybe there will be a b-side alternate > version of Dr. Worm featuring an accordion on the EP? Doubtful, but not well, for one, there isn't going to be an EP... at least the record stores aren't listing it. and secondly, the accordion is not absent in the STD version of Dr. Worm. It's just... much less prominent. maybe they should release a CD of just Dr. Worm - put the new version, the web version, the "live" version (10/97 and before), the "live" version (11/97 and later), and some weird remix that no one will ever listen to. :) Lawrence Solomon http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~lps/ lps@andrew.cmu.edu "Everything sticks until it goes away, * This space inadvertently And the truth is we don't know anything." -TMBG * left blank. ------------------------------ From: Spoonerism@aol.com Message-ID: <279c0d64.35d90734@aol.com> Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 00:46:42 EDT Subject: TMBG: TMBG on CDNOW Well, I logged onto CDNOW.com, the now infamous online musicstore, and what do I see on the frontpage but the cover of that all too-rockin' CD, "Severe Tire Damage." It also had this little review.... " The wry wit and high intellectualism will grow on you once you get past John Flansburg's nasally, whiney voice that dares you to hate him. Even if only for the juxtaposed wordplay and odd lyrical content, this collection of their best songs is certainly noteworthy and a good buy. " All I have to say is, what the **&%!@ is everyone's problem with Flansy's voice? I bet this guy likes Bob Dylan, too... Now *there's* a singer who should have gotten some more training before hittin' the road ::ducks the inevitable flames:: -CAsey ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980818050205.18920.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Josh Buckland" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG on CDNOW Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 22:02:04 PDT >Flansburg's nasally, whiney voice that dares you to hate him. I thought Linnell had the nasally voice I love to hate. I'm so confused. I'm depressed now, after finding out that everything I know is wrong. Josh Buckland dilbert_2000@hotmail.com ICQ#: 17262308 contact me! http://profiles.yahoo.com/LeChuck__ LeChuck: "We are bound to one another." Guybrush: "Like dreadlocks?" LeChuck: "Yes, rather like that. But more like...brothers!" Guybrush: "Eh?" Lechuck: "I am your brother." Guybrush: "That's not true, that's impossible!" Lechuck: "Search your feelings, you know it to be true" Guybrush: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" -- Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #9-18 *****************************