Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #9-2 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 9, Number 2 Sunday, 2 August 1998 Today's Topics: Re: Non-TMBG: Red Commies and Islam Re: Non-TMBG: Red Commies and Islam Re: Non-TMBG: Red Commies and Islam TMBG: dial-a-songs TMBG: Severe Tire Damage at the Visual Discography! Re: TMBG: dial-a-song Mysteries Revealed. Non-TMBG: America, it's them baaaaad russians! Re: TMBG: TMBG movie song casting TMBG: Monopuff Review Re: TMBG: Monopuff Review Re: TMBG: Monopuff Review TMBG: rolling stone on they TMBG: You may not want to read this if you are prone to going postal TMBG: Legal Problems... TMBG:Rolling Stone Web Review TMBG: [another] Monopuff Review TMBG: (off) off-topic pays off again TMBG: Why the Dr. Worm really won't work.... Re: TMBG: Why the Dr. Worm really won't work.... Re: TMBG: Monopuff Review Re: Non-TMBG: Red Commies and Islam Re: TMBG: Why the Dr. Worm really won't work.... TMBG: TMBGish: Rammstein, Dilbert, John Henry, and victimization TMBG: A REAL request this time TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ NON-TMBG: Lost kid Re: TMBG: Why the Dr. Worm really won't work.... TMBG: Flans' rank TMBG: B-sides Re: Non-TMBG: two good albums TMBG:Hatch Shell '98 TMBG: sorry... TMBG: Edgefest 5 - Buffalo. TMBG: bootlegs & STD info TMBG: requests / entertainment weekly Re: TMBG: Flans' rank NON-TMBG: Rammstein TMBG: Tmbg Movie Song Re: Non-TMBG: Why the Dr. Worm really won't work.... TMBG: Bumbershoot show/Harvey Danger TMBG: tourdates TMBG: Stuff not on the discography? Re: Non-TMBG: Red Commies Re: TMBG: entertainment weekly Re: NON-TMBG: entertainment weekly / Nerf Herder Re: TMBG: B-sides Re: TMBG: sorry... Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980731073030.006d1cc4@cybnetonline.com> Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 02:30:30 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Red Commies and Islam At 11:46 AM 7/31/98 -0700, Malcolm MacTavish wrote: >I'm sorry, but it's wrong to say that the Muslims have been >particularly influential in world history this century just because >they've been breeding rapidly. Islam still remains half as populous as >Christendom and holds an infinitesimal fraction of the power of the >nominally Christian nations. Islam had virtually no role in either the >rise or fall of Communism, they were on the fringes of both world >wars, and the Islamic contribution to this century's fantastic >material and scientific advances has been close to zero. Where is the >role of Islam as such in the important changes of this century? The >enrichment of the middle classes and the disappearance of the >proletariat as such; the development of the automobile, the personal >computer, and the mass media; the secularization of Western >thought...? What am I missing here? The Jews, of whom there are only >about 20 million or so, have been a hundred times as influential in >culture, war, art, science, or anything else you care to name. Freud >alone has had more of an impact on civilization than any Muslim alive >since the 16th century. Please, LDB, stick to cartoons. > First off, I wasn't saying Islam had anything to do with red commies, I just said that Islam appears to be more iinfluential than Christianity. I'm not speaking of the influence of events here, (The Automobile is an 19th century invention anyways) I'm talking sheer numbers here, the original posters said that christianity has more of an impact on people than any other religion, I stated that Christianity is not growing as fast as Islam, therefore it's impacted more lives than christianity. I'm saying this because a large amount of the followers of christianity's family has been followers of such since before this century began. Islam is the fastest growing religion, ergo it's gaining new comers everyday. Now, remember were just talking about faith here, not events. If we were talking about the entertainment industry, I'd say that the athiests and christians are probablly tied. I was just pointing out that Islam is the more influencial of religion on people's lives. On cartoons, Smurfs was about Red Commies. :) And I can't even stick to doing my strip, but I'm glad you felt the need to complement me by letting me know you read it. LDB, who is not christian, and does not follow Mohammid, and is not a red commie. -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 15:47:33 -0400 (EDT) From: "Harlan L. Landes" Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Red Commies and Islam Message-ID: On Fri, 31 Jul 1998, The Li'l Depressed Boy wrote: > about faith here, not events. If we were talking about the entertainment > industry, I'd say that the athiests and christians are probablly tied. I > was just pointing out that Islam is the more influencial of religion on > people's lives. Hm. As far as the entertainment industry goes, you can't overlook the overwhelming presence of Jews. Just look at the amount of Jewish comedians! Jews in the entertainment industry must outnumber any other faith or religion or whatever you call it. :> Atleast, they talk about it more than people in any other religion... Harlan ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980731075155.008c8954@cybnetonline.com> Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 02:51:55 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Red Commies and Islam >Hm. As far as the entertainment industry goes, you can't overlook the >overwhelming presence of Jews. Just look at the amount of Jewish >comedians! Jews in the entertainment industry must outnumber any other >faith or religion or whatever you call it. > >:> > >Atleast, they talk about it more than people in any other religion... > You got me there, so it's a threeway tie or damn close to. LDB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 15:21:37 -0500 From: Arash Sangha Subject: TMBG: dial-a-songs Message-id: <39873150.FBFC6BEE@uni.edu> Someone mentioned here earlier they have a list of the current dial-a-songs playing on 387-6962...could they please send it to the list? ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 16:28:15 -0400 From: Destin Berthelot Subject: TMBG: Severe Tire Damage at the Visual Discography! Message-id: <35C228DF.6181@rollins.edu> Organization: Rollins College I was hoping to get this up yesterday, but failed miserably. But as of five minutes ago, if you'd like to see the full-size front/back/cd of severe tire damage, go to my Visual Discography page! http://members.xoom.com/theymightbe/ -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Destin Berthelot | "All persons, http://fox.rollins.edu/~dberthelot/ | living or dead, | are purely They Might Be Giants Visual Discography: | coincidental." http://members.xoom.com/theymightbe/ | -Kurt Vonnegut ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19980731083132.006c7344@cybnetonline.com> Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 03:31:32 -0500 From: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" Subject: Re: TMBG: dial-a-song Mysteries Revealed. I remember awhile back that people were complaining that the Dial-A-Song was always busy, I have a probable explanation. Maybe they were updating the Dial-A-Song system, so that it would be even better? L:DB -- (this site cuts the amount of URL's I put in my Sig) My Web Page Index: http://www.cybnetonline.com/users/njack/ TMBG | D.U.M.B. NEWS | Mr. Gone Font -- Contemporary Cartoon Militia is (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble and Kris W. M. Struble. The Li'l Depressed Boy, Phreeck, Spyder Hunt, and all related characters (C) & TM 1998 S. Steven Struble ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 15:02:54 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Non-TMBG: America, it's them baaaaad russians! Message-ID: them russians, them russians, and them chinamen, and them russians! --allen ginsburg, "america" On Fri, 31 Jul 1998, J Chen wrote: > >> > i have two words for you: china. > > Um, Jim, isn't that one word? :-) ah, whatever... i'm a Busy Man! i can't be Bothered with Those Sorts of details! ;) > Regardless of how many people are in China, I think a valid point is > made in determining that not everyone in China is a Communist. I think > Communists are only the ones in power... the common people don't > particularly like it, and the young people definitely don't, from what I > see in my limited perspective. it's been said by other people, so i'll just sum up: my point was that the *lives* of all those in china, russia, cuba, angola, etc., etc. were drastically affected by communism, regardless of their own communist/non-communist or religious/atheist status, not to mention all those lives in non-communist countries that have been affected by communism. look at west germany before reintegration, for example. for another (slightly less direct) example, consider the fact that the u.s. sustained a wartime economy for so many years after WWII finished... and there's no *telling* how many lives *that's* affected. everything from nuclear power (don't forget that 'other' theory about the bomb, which is that it was developed more to scare stalin than to subdue imperial japan,) to fax machines to the global dominance of nike and microsoft can be traced back in some way or another to the development of the military-industrial complex. hmm... i need to work on my "summing up" skills, huh? --jim kuemmerle, who proposes josef stalin, then, if marx is out of the running for being 19th century... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ From: Drayco@aol.com Message-ID: <7b9abc85.35c244d9@aol.com> Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 18:27:36 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG movie song casting In a message dated 98-07-30 12:28:38 EDT, you write: > > If you were given the money to create, produce & direct your own movie, what' > one song would you use to open the movie, and what would the opening scene > be like? I would use She's an Angel. The first scene would be a guy in his room, preparing to make a phone call. This would be intercut with the credits. --jamal ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 18:52:12 -0400 (EDT) From: Jeremy Treuer Subject: TMBG: Monopuff Review Message-ID: Found this at Pitchfork Online (www.live-wire.com). Not the most positive review, but pretty good. Mono Puff It's Fun To Steal [Bar/None] Rating:74% (out of 100) Some performers use side projects as an opportunity to branch out and try new and totally unexpected things. Then there's John Flansburgh. If your day job was playing in They Might Be Giants, the quirky, simplistic pop group out of New York City, you'd probably have a side project waiting to spawn from you like Mono Puff. Combining the earnestness of Ben Folds Five with the white boy funk of Beck, It's Fun To Steal, the band's second release, is mostly comprised of deep, grooving, heavily-tweaked songs about nothing- sort of Seinfeld meets Sly and the Family Stone. The album begins funkily enough. Save for the title track, an arid, spacey romp espousing the virtues of the five-figner discount, the first three- fourths of the album are deeper in the pocket than Dirk Diggler "Mr. Hughes Says," is a sweet little number that degenerates into a Latin percussion siesta, before eventually finding the drums again. "Creepy," is effectively that, conjuring images of Steve Buscemi, and "Extra Krispy," could be culled from the "Last Days of Disco" soundtrack. But despite its intentions, It's Fun to Steal never really crosses the line from pseudo-funk into funkadelica. Then again, maybe that is the intention. With John Flansburgh, you never know. -Lang Whitaker So what do you all think? Talking too much, Remi Treuer The man without a .sig ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 17:09:44 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Monopuff Review Message-ID: On Fri, 31 Jul 1998, Jeremy Treuer quoth: > Some performers use side projects as an opportunity to branch > out and try new and totally unexpected things. Then there's > John Flansburgh. If your day job was playing in They Might Be > Giants, the quirky, simplistic pop group out of New York City, *quirky!?* **simplistic!?!?** (grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.......) > ...It's Fun To Steal, the band's second release, is mostly comprised of > deep, grooving, heavily-tweaked songs about nothing- sort of Seinfeld > meets Sly and the Family Stone. not that there's anything wrong wit' lettinme be mice elf agin... > So what do you all think? weeeeeeeeell... other than the fact that he called TMBG (ahem) "quirky" and, of all things, "simplistic", (i don't think i'll *ever* figure *that* one out)... ...it's not too shabby a review. on the other hand, i'm probably reading it with a much more lenient eye than the author intended, seeing as how i really like (a) bff, (b) beck, (c) seinfeld, and (d) sly and the family stone, and i'm probably overlooking to too great an extent the fact that he didn't like IFTS, the percussion break in mr. hughes, etc... --jim kuemmerle, who's not only, but especially for, the ladies... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.5.32.19980731190907.007b6270@mailin.icdc.com> Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 19:09:07 -0400 From: "J. L. Moquin" Subject: Re: TMBG: Monopuff Review Jeremy Treuer wrote: >Found this at Pitchfork Online (www.live-wire.com). Not the most positive >review, but pretty good. [snip] >The album begins funkily enough. Save for the title track, an arid, >spacey romp espousing the virtues of the five-figner discount, [snip] This right here is sufficient evidence for me that this person doesn't know what they're talking about. Listen to the lyrics of this song *once* and tell me this song "espous[es] the virtue of the five-figner [sic] discount". ugh. :P -jennifer, mommy to alice the bean, 8/15/97 NEW WEB URL: http://www.kjsl.com/~beanmom/ mailto:beanmom@icdc.com "Republicans understand the importance of bondage between a mother and child." -- Dan Quayle ------------------------------ From: Drayco@aol.com Message-ID: <29b6d9bb.35c25766@aol.com> Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 19:46:45 EDT Subject: TMBG: rolling stone on they If anyone feels like raising their blood pressure, I suggest you go over to www.rollingstone.com and read what they have to say about the Johns. Just select the search option and enter "They Might Be Giants." For those to lazy to do this, here is a choice quote: Listening to TMBG allows you to kick back and enjoy the music without really having to exert any mental energy. It's pure and fun. There's no wrong done when TMBG is playing on your stereo. --Jamal ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980801003139.12844.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Jason Fickley" Subject: TMBG: You may not want to read this if you are prone to going postal Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 17:31:38 PDT From the "album guide" portion of the Rolling Stone TMBG page: the best material -- "Don't Let's Start," "Put Your Hand Inside the Puppet Head," "(She Was a) Hotel Detective" -- is almost insanely tuneful, avoiding any pretense to deeper meaning (or even surface meaning) in its headlong pursuit of melody. Lincoln maintains that standard even as it unleashes puns of cosmic awfulness. Flood, however, finds the Giants taking a few tentative steps toward pop convention, with arrangements that flirt with commercial competence, and even a couple of songs that dare to have a message. (snip snip) actually concocting a cantata of sorts on ``Fingertips.'' Impressive, sure, but not much fun -- a fatal flaw for a band so dependent on whimsy. "A couple" songs that have meaning? Dependant on whimsy? It's as though they're TRYING to anger us... this is almost every incorrect, common assumption of TMBG summed up into one awful article... --Jason-- "Hot Cha, where are you? Everybody's eyes are closed." -They Might Be Giants "As a lizard stalks a helpless creature on TV music underscores the tragedy" -They Might Be Giants ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot@aol.com Message-ID: <6e25d936.35c262d6@aol.com> Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 20:35:32 EDT Subject: TMBG: Legal Problems... Alright, I know some fans were complaining about TMBG having 6 hidden tracks on the new album & thought that was too many (this may have been on the message board, but at any rate, y'all are gonna get this message)...John Flansburgh talked on the radio yesterday that the reason they are "hidden" tracks is because the legal issues involved in using the name "Planet of the Apes." Like using the name "Nyquill," it is copyrighted...rather than calling the tracks AKA, battle for AKA, escape from AKA, etc. etc, they just don't mention them & the John's try to make them known.... jason "the one who should've (but didn't get to) go to the Hatch yesterday" glastetter ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 19:56:46 -0600 (MDT) From: Cyto Subject: TMBG:Rolling Stone Web Review Message-ID: I know I'm really going to take the heat for this comment, but considering the fact that I'm leaving town for the next couple weeks, I think I can handle it. Anyway, did anyone else who browsed the TMBG Bio think that picture of Linnell looked like Lyle Lovitt? Just an observation... That's all I can think of, but I'm sure there's something else Cyto ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 22:57:02 EDT Subject: TMBG: [another] Monopuff Review hey, i was just at the store flipping thru the latest CMJ (smashing pumpkins on the cover) and there's a review of the cd in there too.. it's amusing.. i don't think it's a review flans would be enthused about, but i was laughing so loudly the guy looking at the computer magazines was looking at me funny. stuff about tmbg staples like songs about imaginary friends... play that funky music white boy and ahhh i don't remember the rest. sarah ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 23:30:14 EDT Subject: TMBG: (off) off-topic pays off again just want to thank you guys... :) i finally got a soul coughing cd, and i'm digging it:D keep the music suggestions coming.. sarah~ ------------------------------ From: Monotreme3@aol.com Message-ID: <10a85190.35c28dc9@aol.com> Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 23:38:48 EDT Subject: TMBG: Why the Dr. Worm really won't work.... The Dr. Worm thing won't fucking work because every fucking "Dr. Worm" post these days has absolutely nothing to do with Dr. Worm or TMBG or any fucking thing. I'm not against Non-TMBG posting but I've always simply put in my opinion that people should just *try* to use the Non-TMBG heading when it's necessary. I mean... it's not hard. And right now I'm really mad and depressed and it sucks that friends can hurt you the most and that "chicks ain't nothin' but trouble" but that's just the way it is. So... please... take advantage of your N key, your O key, and then your N key again. It's really fun. Oh yeah... and for some content: People. That Dr. Worm on 99X thing never actually *happened.* I'm sorry for "fooling" people, and I'm so sorry that people sympathized with my fake situation. My only intention was to provide something funny because people kept relaying they're "requesting Dr. Worm" stories. So. Oh well. My bad. Whatever. Fuck it. And if I seem like an asshole, please forgive me. I'm mad at everything right now, and you should just leave me alone and realize that I have an excuse that everyone uses at some point and that everyone says they don't use. If you just realize that, you'll see my point... so... please... be good... have fun... don't litter... and use elipses as much as you want. -Carey "You know what I love about America, Lois? It's the complete lack of commie mother fuckers." -Superman ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <2781df84.35c29041@aol.com> Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 23:49:20 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Why the Dr. Worm really won't work.... >The Dr. Worm thing won't fucking work because every fucking "Dr. Worm" post >these days has absolutely nothing to do with Dr. Worm or TMBG or any fucking >thing. what in the HELL kind of LOGIC is that? i shouldn't have to say this, but what's posted here has nothing to do with requesting the songs to radio stations.. oh wow this is ever pointless.. sarah ------------------------------ From: gray42@juno.com Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 23:51:02 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Monopuff Review Message-ID: <19980731.235833.3382.1.gray42@juno.com> Hmmph... Stooopid Critics. Although, in comparison of other stuff I heard for books, and other medium, and other albums, it isn't nearly as painful. But still, HMMPH!... I HATE CRITICS! Mysterio Gal (who is not really in fact prejudiced towards critics) "I'm Dave Kendal." "I'm John Kendall..." "And I'm MC Search!" --Dave, John &John on 120 min. ICQ# 9585405 MST3K#88182 gray42@juno.com http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/4871 The Official Project Omicrom website: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9007 _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980801042206.16962.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "VoVat Quetzalcoatlus" Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Red Commies and Islam Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 21:22:05 PDT >Reply-To: "The Li'l Depressed Boy" >On cartoons, Smurfs was about Red Commies. :) Funny. I thought they were blue. -- Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "The puffin sipped at his herbal tea and sighed, 'You can't get the buttons these days.'" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980801042707.25192.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "VoVat Quetzalcoatlus" Subject: Re: TMBG: Why the Dr. Worm really won't work.... Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 21:27:06 PDT >Reply-To: Monotreme3@aol.com >People. That Dr. Worm on 99X thing never actually *happened.* I'm sorry for >"fooling" people, and I'm so sorry that people sympathized with my fake >situation. I don't know. If you can get people to sympathize with something you made up, you must have one heck of an imagination. I'd say your "Dr. Worm on 99X" scenario was rather well-written. -- Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "The puffin sipped at his herbal tea and sighed, 'You can't get the buttons these days.'" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: Vandal191@aol.com Message-ID: <762214ed.35c2a7ec@aol.com> Date: Sat, 1 Aug 1998 01:30:18 EDT Subject: TMBG: TMBGish: Rammstein, Dilbert, John Henry, and victimization I must seem like a real arrogant prick when I just step out of the shadows to correct or berate people. Reactionary crap is the worst kind of crap. Rammstein (literal german translation - "hit stone"): Whatever the hell dance metal is, I've been a big Rammstein fan for a while. Being cheap, I saw a portion of a Rammstein concert online, and even then it was an intense experience. I tend to think of them as industrial, for the synthesized marcato drum lines and tube. Most of the guitar is just power chords and rhythm anyway. Whatever it is, I prefer it to Nena, and I love 99 Luftballoons, man. Also, does anyone else find a striking resemblance between Rammstein and DEVO? Most noticeable, I thought, was the album art. The front cover with vocal Til Lindemann has the familiar upturned chin, pale complexion, sunglasses, and windblown hair that DEVO favored. They are a band of paradoxes, singing about some of society's shadiest practices, yet being rather moral in life. The dark nihilist imagery of the band members on the exterior of the Sehnsucht liner notes is in direct contrast with the sunny beach on the inside. And, I think least obviously, they do a lot of things that make people uncomfortable at this point in time (you know, the 30 foot ejaculating penis and all that), but will be hailed as pioneering in 15 years. Dilbert: Ha ha, Josh Buckland is funny until he blatantly rips of Norm MacDonald. I love original blasphemy, but stolen blasphemy, especially when stolen from nice guys like Norm (I met him, and he is), sucks. John Henry: Why didn't someone tell me how ass this album kicks? It was the only TMBG material with which I was unfamiliar. Ever since buying it a week ago, I haven't been able to put it down. I put the CD player on repeat when I shower, just to listen to No One Knows My Plan over and over. I picked up Moxy Fruvous's Live Noise at the same time and have been so busy with John Henry that I've barely touched it. Victimization: I hate the "Player" subculture. Disrespect for women is absolutely despicable. From a little interpretation, it would seem the Johns share this opinion. Apollo 18's Hypnotist of Ladies seems to slight men who try to spellbind women just for immediate personal gratification. Extra Savoir-Faire again appears to take a shot at egotistical men. Anybody else see this, or am I just seeing something where there is nothing? Destination Moon: Recently there were some interps of this song, most relating to denial, a cripple who wants to go to the moon but can't, or other less literal interpretations. Being the son of an English teacher, I studied the song briefly (in the shower) and concluded that it not necessarily be so negative. There isn't anything in the song that proves he can't accomplish whatever it is he might be attempting. The lyric "or who won't be now checking out and flying" with omission of clauses, would read "There's nobody here who won't be now checking out and flying". And the line "Before I blow you away" actually suggests that the feat will be accomplished, much to everyone's surprise. Just thought I'd share. I actually prefer the denial version, makes a better story. ~Moose r "Yeah, no, definitely...they gotta yeah, you know, because the thing is this" -Norm collecting his thoughts on Leno (I think) ------------------------------ From: Monotreme3@aol.com Message-ID: <33982919.35c2b5fd@aol.com> Date: Sat, 1 Aug 1998 02:30:20 EDT Subject: TMBG: A REAL request this time Okay. I did the real thing tonight. It's a bit of a long conversation, but kinda interesting: DJ "Hey, what do you wanna do on a Saturday night?" (Having never heard a greeting like this....) Me "Umm... uh... can you play Dr. Worm by They Might Be Giants?" DJ "Um, I don't have that one." Me "You don't?" DJ "What is it again?" Me "Dr. Worm by They Might Be Giants." DJ "Which album is it on?" Me "Their new one, STD (remembering that he has no idea what I'm talking about) Severe Tire Damage." DJ "I don't have that one?" Me "You don't? They sent it to you...." DJ "How do you know?" Me "There's a biiiiiiiiiiiig list...." DJ "On their website, huh?" Me "Yep." DJ "Well, I'm a big fan..." Me "Oh, you are?" DJ "Yeah, that's why I was asking about the album. One of my favorites is Floooood." Me "Uh, yeah that's a good one. Lincoln's my favorite. So... you don't have it?" DJ "Well, just because *I* don't have it doesn't mean the station doesn't have it. I'll ask about it at the next station meeting." Me "All right. Cool. So, do you have any other TMBG?" DJ "Yeah, tons. Whaddaya want?" Me (thinking quickly) "Um... how 'bout She's an Angel off their first one?" DJ "Yeah, all right." Me "All right! Cool. Thanks." DJ "No problem." Or something like that... Since the request I've heard The Clash and now Big Bad Voodoo Daddies. Oh yeah, before finally getting through I got oh, say, seven busy signals and then 3 times where it rang but then switched to a busy signal. But hey, I'm recording this... it's not often, if every, you hear "She's an Angel" on ze radio. -Carey ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 1 Aug 1998 03:15:00 -0400 (EDT) From: Majordomo Message-Id: <199808010715.DAA18509@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT When you send a message to the list you are sending messages to hundreds of people. Make sure that your message is one that hundreds of people need to read. Do not send "me too" messages to the list. Do not send messages about non-tmbg topics to the list. Hold private conversations in private e-mail. Sending messages that the list administrator deems off topic will result in your being removed from the list. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ Subject: NON-TMBG: Lost kid Message-ID: <19980731.222517.8991.0.captainmarvel2@juno.com> From: captainmarvel2@juno.com (Derek A Klein) Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 22:26:21 EDT This has nothing at all to do with TMBG, but a friend sent this to me. Read on if you want to help. <Your Help Is Needed to Find Christin Lamb Carolyn Lampman >> _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980801132851.26694.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Jason Fickley" Subject: Re: TMBG: Why the Dr. Worm really won't work.... Date: Sat, 01 Aug 1998 06:28:51 PDT >I'm not against Non-TMBG posting but I've always simply put in my >opinion that people should just *try* to use the Non-TMBG heading >when it's necessary. I mean... it's not hard. >So... please... take advantage of >your N key, your O key, and then your N key again. It's really fun. I wrote the original message to which you are replying and I have to ask: How was that not TMBG related? I sent a reply I got from a local DJ who explained why he couldn't play Dr. Worm. Maybe it will be helpful to someone else,who knows? If the "request Dr. Worm" thing isn't TMBG related, why is it on their official site? Also, you sent your OWN DJ story after this message, with TMBG in the subject line...TMBG: A REAL request this time. Why is it ok for you to use TMBG when you post about your request experience, but not me? --Jason-- "Hot Cha, where are you? Everybody's eyes are closed." -They Might Be Giants "As a lizard stalks a helpless creature on TV music underscores the tragedy" -They Might Be Giants ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980801141434.1366.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Jason Fickley" Subject: TMBG: Flans' rank Date: Sat, 01 Aug 1998 07:14:33 PDT 9 John Flansburgh 13540 Comfortably in 9th, right where he should be. Anyone hear TMBG mention this one at a show yet? --Jason-- "Hot Cha, where are you? Everybody's eyes are closed." -They Might Be Giants "As a lizard stalks a helpless creature on TV music underscores the tragedy" -They Might Be Giants ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980801163616.26281.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Jason Fickley" Subject: TMBG: B-sides Date: Sat, 01 Aug 1998 09:36:16 PDT Anyone know where I can get a listing of which b-sides go with which singles? (tmbg.org is a little screwy in that department) Also, where can I find an mp3 of The Guitar Even Further Mix (or whatever it's called). Also, anyone else want to see Maybe I Know as a b-side of Dr. Worm? (assuming they get legal stuff worked out and that they make a full ep for Dr. Worm) --Jason-- "Hot Cha, where are you? Everybody's eyes are closed." -They Might Be Giants "As a lizard stalks a helpless creature on TV music underscores the tragedy" -They Might Be Giants ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sat, 1 Aug 1998 11:52:08 -0600 Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: two good albums Message-ID: <19980801.115216.12766.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> > I >picked up >Moxy Fruvous's Live Noise at the same time and have been so busy with >John >Henry that I've barely touched it. heh... i had that problem with live noise and IFTS (since they came out on the same day)... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html old news::::toad the wet sprocket broke up::: _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35C32176.CFEDE46D@tmbg.org> Date: Sat, 01 Aug 1998 14:08:56 +0000 From: "Chris \"Feeny\" Campbell" Subject: TMBG:Hatch Shell '98 The Hatch Shell Concert on Thurs. was by far the best concert I've ever been to. Yes they did play Dr. Worm 3 times, yes, we did get a ton o' autographs (check out my bro's TMBG page soon, once he gets everything scanned, if you don't believe us), yes, they were nice about it. When Flans was signing my shirt, he asked my name and he thought I said "D" instead of "C' and put Dharis. I told him it was "C" and he said, "Well, how am I gonna fix that?" So he made the "D" into a big "C" and filled it in with lines. I couldn't believe my courage to tell him it was wrong, I almost ended up with a Johns 2040 shirt signed for Dharis :P He was really nice, and so was Linnel! It was great! I love Them even more now that I know how nice They are. Flans asked if I was going to his show on Aug. 15th and I said I was (I hope so)! I'm overjoyed that I made it to the show- my three fav. bands are playing 3 days in a row in Boston (TMBG 7/30, Moxy Fruvous 7/31, Tori Amos 8/1), and I only made it to one, yet I'm still happy!! The Hatch Shell show was the greatest!!! -Charis Campbell Bates College 2002 "And the truth is we don't know anything." -TMBG ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980801180855.4746.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Jason Fickley" Subject: TMBG: sorry... Date: Sat, 01 Aug 1998 11:08:55 PDT Sorry I've posted so much today, but I also need an mp3 of I'm Def in addition to the Guitar Even Further mix. For some actual content...are they gonna release Rest Awhile or what??? --Jason-- "Hot Cha, where are you? Everybody's eyes are closed." -They Might Be Giants "As a lizard stalks a helpless creature on TV music underscores the tragedy" -They Might Be Giants ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 1 Aug 1998 14:56:10 -0400 (EDT) From: Beth Connell Subject: TMBG: Edgefest 5 - Buffalo. Message-ID: Well, use my head as a giant match and call me Freddy... I, for no good reason, just picked up a copy of ArtVoice (arts newspaper, has concert listings and show pictures and all sorts of 'cool' commentary by the guy who started this particular newspaper...I think it may be distributed in all of Western New York, but I'm not positive) and flipped it open. 103.3, one of two commerical stations (as opposed to WBNY, which is an alternative format, but a college station, or CFNY or the River, which are alternative formats, and able to be picked up here, but are located in canada) with an alternative format (and I think the one that's got STD, come to think of it.) here, has a concert called Edgefest. Their call letters are WEDG, so they call themselves the Edge. Of course, CFNY also calls themselves the Edge and has an Edgefest each year as well. CFNY was there first, but I won't get into that...I've probably confused everyone enough as it is. /Anywho/, 103.3 is having their Edgefest 5 on Sunday, August 30th at noon at Lasalle Park. I was looking over the list of bands in the ad in Artvoice and saw....They Might Be Giants! Tickets are apparently through Fantastix, which doesn't have a web site, and the number in the paper for the credit card charge line gave me someone's pager. So no way to verify it there. Neither tmbg.com or pollstar has the show listed. I'm going to go to Tops (which has the Fantastix outlets) and find out what's going on, and if that doesn't work, I suppose I'll (ugh) call the station. Of course, if anyone else in the Buffalo area wants to call the station for me or for their own purposes, I'll happily give you the number in a private message. :) (Only reason I don't want to call the station is cause I don't want to talk to a particular DJ who works there, and he's there a /lot/. It's not because he's a jerk when you make requests, either. (Although I wouldn't be surprised if he was) It's a purely personal thing, which I'll also explain in a private message if you like. Nice fun college radio story, truly.) Anyway. I'm in a ramble mood today, so I'll just force myself to stop before it gets worse and say when I find out more info, I'll let you know. But I thought people would like to know about this, since it's not on the site. Oh yeah. Tickets are apparently 10.33 + service charge in advance and $15.00 the day of the show. Beth -<*>- http://www.cgicafe.com/~soulfire | "I want to raise my freak flag higher and higher..." -TMBG | "Rock Climbing, Joel. Rock Climbing." -Tom Servo, MST3K | "I love humans. Always seeing patterns in things that aren't there." -Dr. Who (8th Doctor) | Odangos, anyone? -<*>- ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sat, 1 Aug 1998 13:38:47 -0600 Subject: TMBG: bootlegs & STD info Message-ID: <19980801.133854.15206.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> HEy HEy! so uhm, i was wondering if someone with a copy of STD (or the liner notes) could tell me if they decided to put any pictures of themselves or the rest of the band anywhere on the CD? oh yeah... if anyone has bootlegged (i want audio) any of these past shows pleaseplease get in touch with me... if anyone has any remote plans to bootleg any of these upcomming shows feel free to get in touch with me now too... take it easy, JOrdaN "you think you got problems now..." ---Flansburgh http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html Dewan and TMBG page more-or-less updated... check it out! http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Message-ID: <4e3efe56.35c36eff@aol.com> Date: Sat, 1 Aug 1998 15:39:41 EDT Subject: TMBG: requests / entertainment weekly In a message dated 8/1/98 1:33:20 AM, you wrote: >Me (thinking quickly) "Um... how 'bout She's an Angel off their first one?" >DJ "Yeah, all right." >Me "All right! Cool. Thanks." >DJ "No problem." > >Or something like that... >Since the request I've heard The Clash and now Big Bad Voodoo Daddies. >Oh yeah, before finally getting through I got oh, say, seven busy signals and >then 3 times where it rang but then switched to a busy signal. But hey, I'm >recording this... it's not often, if every, you hear "She's an Angel" on ze >radio. hehe, i find that the only time i can get obscure *non-single* tracks are requesting to dj's i know or at college/high school stations. usually i'll just request something like the Guitar or WDTSS, definitely stuff i've heard them play... if it's too obscure you might fall through the cracks, whatever. tmbg related: ion the 8/7 issue of Entertainment Weekly, there's a 3 pg article on the Baenaked Ladies, and at the end there's a history of "wannabe clever - but more often irritating songs" with "High IQ - Irksome Quotient." :P~ And instead of rating with stars it's eyeglasses ("Because nerdy isn't always a dirty word"). ;p Istanbul is... well wait, i'll type it. ~ "ISTANBUL (NOT CONSTANTINOPLE)," They Might Be Giants (1990): Fun with geographical history! A remake (of a 1953 Four Lads tune) only a smarty-pants could love. [2 tiny eyeglasses] :P~ i suppose they get a little credit for mentioning tmbg in their magazine, and not using the word "quirky" , but, they don't quite get it. *sigh* for those curious, B-52's "Rock Lobster" got 4 eyeglasses; The Knack's "My Sharona" got 2; Devo's "Whip It" 4; "It's The End Of The World As We Know It" by R.E.M. 3; Weezer's "Buddy Holly" 3; "Peaches" by the Presidents of the USA 1; Van Halen's "Nerf Herder" (huh? never heard it..) 1/2. sarah http://lava.home.ml.org song playing - tragically hip "thompson girl" ------------------------------ Message-ID: <35C33990.BEFB21E@tmbg.org> Date: Sat, 01 Aug 1998 15:51:47 +0000 From: "Chris \"Feeny\" Campbell" Subject: Re: TMBG: Flans' rank At the hatch shell, Linnell and Flans announced to the audience to "Vote for flans!" "time.com/flans" flans siad "I'm #9 in front of some women in the most influential MAN of the century, ya' know time magazine should change the title!" Jason Fickley wrote: > 9 John Flansburgh 13540 > > Comfortably in 9th, right where he should be. Anyone hear TMBG mention > this one at a show yet? > > > --Jason-- > > "Hot Cha, where are you? Everybody's eyes are closed." > -They Might Be Giants > > "As a lizard stalks a helpless creature on TV music underscores the > tragedy" > -They Might Be Giants > > ______________________________________________________ > Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com -- -Chris "fEenY" Campbell ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ TMBG SHRINE! Http://www.mix-net.net/~ccampbell E-mail - ccampbell@mix-net.net Or At - feeny@tmbg.org ----"No one understands, No one knows my plan" -John Linnell, ----"A note to myself, do the dumb things I gotta do, touch the puppet head" -John Flansburgh They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot@aol.com Message-ID: <2ab3dc68.35c373e6@aol.com> Date: Sat, 1 Aug 1998 16:00:37 EDT Subject: NON-TMBG: Rammstein For the record the band is named after a place, nothing else...the name may mean something such as "battering ram," but ask any German what it means & they'll say, "oh, it's a place..." at least all the German's I've asked...I used to like Rammstein, but that "You Hate/Du Hast" song annoys me.... jason "I like the German band, Bap" glastetter ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 1 Aug 1998 16:10:44 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Tmbg Movie Song Message-ID: <19980801.161045.-22153.0.jonhuot@juno.com> From: jonhuot@juno.com (Jonathan P Huot) I last semester I made a trailer to a script I am writing and hope to produce some time this year. I did the opening scene, and credits to which I use the TMBG song Ana Ng. It went really well as it has that really steady guitar riff. I cycled from credit to credit every 2 or three seconds. (Listen to the song and you'll know what i mean) Keeping with the beat of the song I then began to cycle through shot of downtown Providence, RI, where the opening of the movie takes place. Coincidentally, I name my production company Whistling in the Dark Productions. Anyway, the opening came out really good. When I finally get back to reshooting and completing the entire movie, I will most probably use that same sequence. On a side note, I ended my five minute trailer with Youth Culture Killed My Dog, for the end credits, because in the opening scene one of the characters recalls that his dog committed suicide due to excessive Hanson listening by his younger sister. Jon _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Monotreme3@aol.com Message-ID: <973d0951.35c37b73@aol.com> Date: Sat, 1 Aug 1998 16:32:49 EDT Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Why the Dr. Worm really won't work.... That mail wasn't aimed at you, the original sender. It was, however, aimed at all the people who were replying under that subject heading with posts about absolutely nothing TMBG related. I've been reading all the request things and all the e-mail your radio station about Dr. Worm things and that's cool. But going off on tangents under a TMBG subject line isn't. I don't think so, anyway. In a message dated 8/1/98 9:28:58 AM Eastern Daylight Time, hotcha57@hotmail.com writes: > >I'm not against Non-TMBG posting but I've always simply put in my > >opinion that people should just *try* to use the Non-TMBG heading >when > it's necessary. I mean... it's not hard. > > >So... please... take advantage of > >your N key, your O key, and then your N key again. It's really fun. > > I wrote the original message to which you are replying and I have to > ask: How was that not TMBG related? I sent a reply I got from a local DJ > who explained why he couldn't play Dr. Worm. Maybe it will be helpful to > someone else,who knows? If the "request Dr. Worm" thing isn't TMBG > related, why is it on their official site? > > Also, you sent your OWN DJ story after this message, with TMBG in the > subject line...TMBG: A REAL request this time. Why is it ok for you to > use TMBG when you post about your request experience, but not me? ------------------------------ From: CajunGram@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 1 Aug 1998 16:59:08 EDT Subject: TMBG: Bumbershoot show/Harvey Danger Okay, I'm going to crap my pants becasue They Might Be Giants are playing at the annual Seattle music festival, which has seriously lacking in talent for awhile... But the weird ass part is that Harvey Danger are opening for them... The lord works in mysterious ways... Graham ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sat, 1 Aug 1998 15:45:21 -0600 Subject: TMBG: tourdates Message-ID: <19980801.154528.11118.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> HEy HEy! so uhm.. here's all the dates i could dig up... i know some of these are new... THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS: August 2nd: *Midwest Hops Fest* - Mineappolis, MN - $10 August 6th: *Gen Con Convention* - Milwaukee, WI August 25th: *Mountain Lair Plaza* *West Virginia Univ.* - Morgantown, WV August 28th: *9:30 Club* - Washington DC August 29th: *End-Fest* - Blossom, OH August 30th: *LaSalle Park* - Buffalo, NY - Edgefest September 6th: *Bumbershoot Festival* - Seattle, WA September 8th: *La Luna Lounge* - Portland, OR - $16 9pm September 11th: *House Of Blues* - Hollywood, CA September 13th: *Street Scene* - San Diego, CA September 19th: *Stubb's* - Austin, TX September 21st: *Liberty Lunch* - Austin, TX September 23rd: *William Jewel College* - Liberty, MO MONO PUFF: August 12th: *Under Acme* - NYC August 15th: *T.T. The Bear* - Cambridge, MA August 18th: *Central Park Bandshell* - NYC August 19th: *Under Acme* - NYC August 26th: *Under Acme* - NYC take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html http://members.tripod.com/~tmbgirl/index.html "So i guess that says something about... something" ---Flansburgh _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot@aol.com Message-ID: <49ad0ff6.35c3c852@aol.com> Date: Sat, 1 Aug 1998 22:00:49 EDT Subject: TMBG: Stuff not on the discography? I was surfing the web & found an album that had James Ensor, & to my surprise, this record was not mentioned on the complete discography on TMBG.com. More info here: http://www1.minn.net/%7Egargoyle/REVOLUTION/Archive.htm um...yeah, that's all... jason "I'm a dumbass" glastetter ------------------------------ From: Spoonerism@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 1 Aug 1998 22:19:59 EDT Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Red Commies <> Don't forget about A. Mitchell Palmer!!! He was like the forrunner of McCarthy, except he was after not only communists, but socialists, immigrants, anarchists, and basically anyone who wasn't WASP. (White Anglo-Saxon Protestant) << So when you say christianity (Jesus) has affected more people than Communism (Karl Marx), you are greatly mistaken. Remember folks this is the entire century, not just today.>> I gotta agree, and don't forget that only 23% of Christians actually attend church on a regular basis! :) -CAsey, Unitarian TMBG Consulate for Central Connecticut ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 1 Aug 1998 22:13:16 -0500 (CDT) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: entertainment weekly Message-ID: On Sat, 1 Aug 1998 KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: > for those curious, B-52's "Rock Lobster" got 4 eyeglasses; The Knack's "My > Sharona" got 2; Devo's "Whip It" 4; "It's The End Of The World As We Know It" > by R.E.M. 3; Weezer's "Buddy Holly" 3; "Peaches" by the Presidents of the USA > 1; Van Halen's "Nerf Herder" (huh? never heard it..) 1/2. Wow...I never really thought of ITEOTWAWKI (AIFF) (jeez, even when you shorten it, it's still incredibly long) as a quirky/nerdy song, but whatever. And Sarah (and anyone else confused)...that last song is not a Van Halen song called "Nerf Herder"...it's a Nerf Herder song called "Van Halen"..... Still in Ohio, no matter how hard he tries to get out... The Rev |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| | Reverend Bill Tatalovich | Home page: | | | http://students.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/ | | wt3@cec.wustl.edu | feedback for toddlers e-zine: | | personnel@kwur.wustl.edu | http://www.poboxes.com/fft/ | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ From: tmbgirl@juno.com Date: Sat, 1 Aug 1998 21:27:48 -0600 Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: entertainment weekly / Nerf Herder Message-ID: <19980801.212753.11118.7.TMBgirl@juno.com> >.that last song is >not a >Van Halen song called "Nerf Herder"...it's a Nerf Herder song called >"Van >Halen"..... please don't tell me that the magazine actually has it that way... i'm gonna cry. Nerf Herder has got to be one of my second favorite bands (up there with mono puff and MTX). I would highly recommend getting their self titled album. They've got a track on the BASEketball soundtrack but uhm, i haven't seen the movie, nor have i heard the song so i can't say much. It may be totally different cuz charlie quit so they got a new bass player as well as another guitar player (to "complement" parry's geetar playin'). take it easy, JOrdaN "here take the key to our hotel room and maybe you can just stop by later on tonight" only to have the damn tour manager snatch the key away from me... GRRR!! :P (as much as i'd love to be a groupie slut) MY NERF HERDER AUTOGRAPHS: "Jordan's fine, nice!" ---Charlie Herder "Jordan's bra strap" ---Steve Herder "Jordan, Sorry I jacked off on your t-shirt" ---Parry Herder _____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980802044811.2545.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "VoVat Quetzalcoatlus" Subject: Re: TMBG: B-sides Date: Sat, 01 Aug 1998 21:48:10 PDT >Reply-To: "Jason Fickley" > >Anyone know where I can get a listing of which b-sides go with which >singles? (tmbg.org is a little screwy in that department) You were probably looking at the "Albums" section, which, the last time I checked, tended to omit certain songs from track listings. I'd recommend consulting the discography at tmbg.org. >Also, where >can I find an mp3 of The Guitar Even Further Mix (or whatever it's >called). Jackyl's TMBG MP3 Archive. I don't really feel like looking up the address right now, though. >Also, anyone else want to see Maybe I Know as a b-side of Dr. >Worm? (assuming they get legal stuff worked out and that they make a >full ep for Dr. Worm) There are some other things that I'd rather see as B-sides, and which wouldn't involve as many copyright issues. -- Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "The puffin sipped at his herbal tea and sighed, 'You can't get the buttons these days.'" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19980802045119.18442.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "VoVat Quetzalcoatlus" Subject: Re: TMBG: sorry... Date: Sat, 01 Aug 1998 21:51:18 PDT >Reply-To: "Jason Fickley" > >Sorry I've posted so much today, but I also need an mp3 of I'm Def in >addition to the Guitar Even Further mix. If you have "Then," you could probably make an MP3 of that one yourself. Or do you need the complete version? >For some actual content...are they gonna release Rest Awhile or what??? I think that, before They do, They need to rest awhile. ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #9-2 ****************************